Speaker 1: Podcast. Welcome to Meet Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I'm your host, Spencer Newhart, and today we're joined by Steven Rinella, Ryan Callahan, Paul Lewis, Rick Hotton, Brody Henderson, Crin Schneider, Corey Culkins, and Sandy Fraser. Sandy, this is your first time playing Meat Eater Trivia. How do you feel about your chances?
Speaker 2: I think they're poor.
Speaker 1: Okay, now I don't think they're.
Speaker 3: He's I think he's gonna I think he's a contender.
Speaker 1: Brody was hyping him up in the break room saying he thinks he's got a real shot. Steve, you've had a chance to uh suss out Sandy's trivia abilities and the regular show. How do you think he's gonna do?
Speaker 3: I think he's gonna do well because he's uh. His books are all written under the name Ian Fraser, and because he does very uh. He's done a lot of magazine report in a lot of books which have brought him all around the country. And he's a lifelong fisherman, and I think he's had If he doesn't win, it's his own fault. Well rounded, because I think that to have been as many places and processed as much information. If you don't win it because you weren't paying attention or remembering well.
Speaker 1: And Steve has a hypothesis that age he's a factor in playing trivia. Sandy, you're the oldest one in the room. That she give you an upper hand.
Speaker 2: That shows how much you know about age.
Speaker 4: We had an eighty year old guy get his ass kicked.
Speaker 3: Okay, it drops off.
Speaker 5: We're learning.
Speaker 2: I'm seventy two.
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll see how we're learning. Where the bell curve is right now? Okay, you're going to help us with some more data, because.
Speaker 3: Brody, how old are you brought You're at top of your game right now?
Speaker 1: Forty one?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, plus a decade or so.
Speaker 1: Now if you're not familiar, this is a ten round quiz show with questions from meat Eater's four verticals, which are fishing, conservation, and cooking, and there is a prize. Meat Eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winner's choosing. And each week here on Trivia we reveal a new stat This week, we're looking at meat Eater employee performance tracked against Meat Eater guest performance on questions where I throw them a bone. Now, Sandy, if they didn't warn you, while we're playing trivia, there will be one question that is firmly in your wheelhouse that you will have an advantage at. I think you'll recognize when that question comes up. Okay, this statistic is about that.
Speaker 3: And we had a stat that shows that those the bones work.
Speaker 1: As we learned on a previous show, our guests have an eighty nine percent chance of getting the correct answer on questions where I throw them a bone. On those same questions, the rest of the players have a forty two percent chance of getting the right answer, which is a forty seven percent increase for our guests. So, Sandy, when we get to the question today where I throw you a bone, the odds of you getting it right are twice as good good as the other players in the room.
Speaker 2: Okay, and I just write the answer. I don't just shout it out.
Speaker 1: That's why you'll just write your answer down, keep it hidden from Rick's kind of sly you might cheat off you there all right. Now, here's our zero percenter question the week, which tests how much our players have retained from previous games.
Speaker 3: This was from confused, what's up? Didn't you already do that stat?
Speaker 1: No, but before we looked at, uh, how our guests perform on the nine questions where they're not throwing a bone versus the one question where they are throwing a bone. Now, we were looking at how our guest performs on the question where they're throwing a bone versus the meat eatter employees on that.
Speaker 3: Que they're twice is likely to get the bone as likely.
Speaker 1: That's right. Now, here's our zero percenter question the week, which tests how much our players have retained from previous games. This was from episode three seventy two and the topic is conservation. Three thousand of what New York City icons were dumped in the Atlantic Ocean from two thousand and one to twenty ten in an effort to create artificial reefs. Now, Steve will let you take the first stab atis, I'll read you the question again. Three thousand of what New York City icons were dumped in the Atlantic Ocean from two thousand and one to twenty ten in an effort to create artificial reefs. Do you know the answer.
Speaker 3: It's gotta be subway cars.
Speaker 1: That's right, well done. You would have been the only one that day who got that question out.
Speaker 3: I probably have won the whole damn thing.
Speaker 1: The incorrect answers given were taxis, statues and parking meters. That subway car project was a success. They are now a flourishing habitat for all sorts of sea life.
Speaker 3: So you could have thrown that as a bone to him and he would have.
Speaker 2: Gotten that, you think, so I wouldn't have gotten that.
Speaker 1: Okay, sorry, maybe you'd have had a chance to educate a guess. And for the housekeeping portion of today's show, I'm going to throw it to Paul and Rick, who have an exciting update from FHF. Paul, take it away.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we just are launching our fob binoharness. This is something that's been two years in the making and something we've put a lot into, took a lot of feedback from customers, had a lot of testing over the years, and really feel like we've come up with really the best buyo harness on the market.
Speaker 1: Came out yesterday, right, came out yesterday.
Speaker 6: Oh and it is available now.
Speaker 3: So yeah, because we're.
Speaker 1: In the future, Steve, you and Calve had a chance to run this thing a bit. What do you like about it.
Speaker 3: I've got to use it for a long time. Even other per is that yeah? Other permutations?
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, early ones.
Speaker 3: No, it's great. Yeah. I think it's a great advancement, a great step up. It's a big day for binos. I love the thing. It's got a magnet on the front.
Speaker 1: What changed from like some early versions to what we now have available that came out yesterday.
Speaker 3: Because it's just like a very simple magnet system and you can just take your thumb without even looking and go, that's the noise it makes.
Speaker 1: Those seould make that noise, Rick, is that what noise it makes?
Speaker 3: And now it's no, it's just like very silent, very quick. It's got better coverage. Yeah, I don't want to sell it over the old one because the olde was but it's got more thorough coverage, a really good magnet system, no exposure on the sides to get to it, and it's just more comfortable. Well, Steve's got a way better.
Speaker 7: Steve's describing what we set off to accomplishing that. We wanted to make a fully enclosed harness offer that better protection. But to Steve's point, we wanted to be the quietest magnetic closure harness on the market, especially for you white tail guys, Spencer, because we didn't want any loud pops or clicks or anything associated with that magnet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's good if you're sitting in a tree stand, if you're chasing elk, if you're a bird watcher, anybody, right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, just base of any sportsman's kit. So and that that fob. We're real excited. As Paul said, it's been a long project coming and we took feedback from all of our testers and stuff, and Cal also got to run one and we're.
Speaker 5: Part of the system. Once you get that all broken in and it fits your shoulders and is you know your general fits been achieved, you can pop that off and it's compatible with the chest rig and the uht A resistant chest rig, so you can have different kits and use that same shoulder strap system.
Speaker 3: And it's got this little wing deal on these little onside, so you put your range finder. It's got like a little panel that hooks on the side that that goes on and it doesn't flop around or twist on you.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: The goals kind of make it as modular as possible, so people can really set it up and make it their own, so no matter the season, the pursuit, whatever they're doing, they can really just make it their own and customize it endlessly.
Speaker 1: Available right now at FHF gear dot com. Now the Shelby Index for today's show is a three, so our winner should get six correct answers, and with that we're onto the game of trivia. Play the drop, Phil, Look, I need to know what I stand to win everything?
Speaker 3: How's that just tend to win everything?
Speaker 7: Suckers?
Speaker 1: Question one? The topic is hunting and this will be multiple choice. This first great question comes to us via Charlie Cushion Ruder. If you have a question you think is right for Meat Eater Trivia, you can send it to trivia at the meadeater dot com. According to the NWTF, what state harvest the most turkeys each year? Is it Wisconsin, Texas, California, or Tennessee. According to the NWTF, what state harvest the most turkeys each year? Wisconsin, Texas, California, or Tennessee. Steve with a quick answer, Steve, do you know this one? How many of these states have you hunted turkeys? In? Wisconsin, Texas, California, Tennessee?
Speaker 3: Three?
Speaker 1: Three of them? Give you a little insight over the rest of the room.
Speaker 3: What's all that you happened about?
Speaker 1: My apology? We'll play in silence. Does everybody have an answer? Choices are Wisconsin, Texas, California, Tennessee.
Speaker 3: Man, I'm really torn, dude, great first question that way?
Speaker 1: Oh thank you? This was via Charlie.
Speaker 3: I'm bad torn. What are you going with? Cal?
Speaker 5: I'm going with one of the options the Yeah, I know you don't like the side manter, but you know, it's like one of those states you can shoot whatever you want and there's no like solid reporting ethos.
Speaker 7: So, oh, are you going the reported unreported?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Are we going known? Turkey? Harve us?
Speaker 1: Now, Sandy, I saw you crack a smile when we played the intro music for trivia. Did you like the show Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?
Speaker 2: I did like this show? Yeah, I mean is that what that's from?
Speaker 1: That's what that's from?
Speaker 2: Okay, and they let you use it and everything.
Speaker 1: Sure, ask too many questions. I asked the questions around here. Does everybody have an answer? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Steve saying Wisconsin, Sandy saying Wisconsin, Wisconsin, Wisconsin, Cordy sang Texas, Karin sang Tennessee, count sang Tennessee, Paul saying Texas.
Speaker 5: How many birds can you legally kill in Wisconsin? Per person?
Speaker 3: Pens out late? You want to hunt? You know you buy tag every day if you stay around to the e season.
Speaker 1: Oh no, shit, The correct answer is Tennessee. According to the NWTFS twenty twenty three report, Tennessee on average harvest fifty thousand turkeys each year. That's followed by Wisconsin at thirty eight thousand, Missouri at thirty five thousand, Kentucky at thirty thousand, and Alabama and Texas at twenty five thousand. Not surprisingly, some of these state made Dylan Tramp's list for the best states for d i Y turkey hunting, which you can read on the Meat eater dot com. Steve, why were you convinced it was not Tennessee?
Speaker 3: I don't know, question gars reading about how many turks they shoot in Wisconsin.
Speaker 1: Now you'll just you can't like you can just.
Speaker 5: Keep buying tags there right like at a certain point.
Speaker 1: And is Tennessee one of the states where you have to quit it? One PM?
Speaker 5: I think cals is that expert I don't think. I don't think that's the case.
Speaker 3: You know why, I don't really care because Brody got it wrong.
Speaker 1: Okay, good for Steve, Good for Brody. Question two, the topic is fishing. One year before Fred Arbagast invented the hula popper, he patented this top water lure that's famous for its double cupped lip and gurgling sounds. Again, one year before Fred Arbagast invented the hula popper, he patented this top water lure that's famous for its double cupped lip and gurgling sounds.
Speaker 5: And you have to know the name.
Speaker 1: You need to know the name the exactly what what do you think would be an acceptable answer? If not knowing the name? Cal? Were you gonna draw it?
Speaker 7: Could we draw it?
Speaker 1: You can't draw it? You now draw it? Quick answer from Brody. Brody, do you know this one?
Speaker 5: I'm pretty sure?
Speaker 1: Okay, Steve also with a quick answer, you got this one?
Speaker 4: Large, shut up Brown, because Cal like processes a lot of ships, said something, and that's how he probably got Tennessee.
Speaker 3: Uh huh, it's all the small talk he's like. He probably went.
Speaker 1: One year before Fred Arbagast invented the hula popper. He patented this top water lure that's famous for its double cupped lip and gurgling sounds. U F HF boys, do you have some fishing chops? Are you gonna get this one?
Speaker 7: Spencer? I could see it. I can think of the name, which is why I asked to draw it.
Speaker 1: But zero Paul with a blank board.
Speaker 5: Yeah, my terminal tackle knowledge is extremely limited. Uh huh, so I truly don't have a clue.
Speaker 1: Does everybody have an answer?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: No, it is everybody who's going to come up with an answer have an answer. Come on, let's just get out. I just do it because it Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Steve saying jitterbug. Sandy sang jitterbug, Rick without an answer, Brody saying jitterbug, Cory sang Angie Jolie popper, Karinn without an answer, Or what does your board say? Krinn without an answer? Cal sang pencil popper, Paul without an answer. The correct answer is jitterbug, damn it. The original jitterbug patent was granted in nineteen forty. The first versions were made of wood, but switched to plastic manufacturing near the end of World War two. Our bigast created some of the most iconic bass lures in the world, including the jitterbug, hula popper, Tim Liz Hawaiian wiggler, and the rubber skirt that's used on spinner baits.
Speaker 3: You got time for a quick story?
Speaker 1: Yeah? What he got now? Brody was hot with a hint there about the nighttime fishing. This is like the lure of nighttime bass anglers. That was quite helpful, Brody.
Speaker 3: My brother Danny was standing on the dock when we were kids and he threw out a jitterbug at night and we were always blown away. So he caught a big old bullhead on it.
Speaker 1: Whoay love that.
Speaker 3: Biggle bullhead came up with a jitterbug.
Speaker 1: That's fun. Question three the topic is conservation. What Great Lake City created an ecological disaster in nineteen eighty six when they released one point five million balloons in an attempt to set a world record?
Speaker 5: Gross?
Speaker 1: What Great Lake City created an ecological disaster in nineteen eighty six when they released one point five million balloons in an attempt to set a world record. I don't think anybody in the room has come up with an answer yet.
Speaker 5: Let's see, I was four the Redskins had recently Super Bowl walking this back. The Bobcats here in town had a national championship under their belt.
Speaker 1: Cal, you come a long way from the Great Lakes region. The rest of these folks they should whoop be on this question, but it seems like they're not going. There's a lot of cities on the Great Lakes man, That's why it's a good question, Brody Toppys conservation. What Great Lakes City created an ecological disaster in nineteen eighty six when they released one point five million balloons in an attempt to set a world record? Steve, you don't seem confident?
Speaker 3: No, no, man, Okay, just a guess.
Speaker 1: Does anybody feel like they have a like, a better than average chance at this?
Speaker 5: I figured I feel like I can narrow it down to the state based off of what I perceived their ecological ethos being today.
Speaker 1: It's good.
Speaker 3: That would have been a better question, probably in hindsight, would have been what state.
Speaker 1: Going with city? Cal you need to send me one.
Speaker 3: Of your zero your future zero question.
Speaker 1: See we'll see. Does everybody have an answer? Corinn Sandy, do you have an answer?
Speaker 2: Not really, but I would guess Toledo.
Speaker 1: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Steve Sang Chicago, Sandy Sang Toledo, Rick Sang Chicago, Brody Sang Chicago, Cory Sang Chicago, Corinn Sang Chicago. What's that say? Cal?
Speaker 5: Nothing? I was starting to write and then you started reading things off, and I don't want to be that guy.
Speaker 1: Good on cal Paul saying Green Bay. Nobody got it. The correct answer is Cleveland.
Speaker 3: Oh, oh my god, Oh my god.
Speaker 5: That's literally the only thing that popped in my head. Oh no, but I was like, is the Cuyahoga River because didn't kaya Ohoga burn or something?
Speaker 1: But that was way before then.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, but you know, you're just using it as a yeah, as a barometer.
Speaker 1: That stunt was part of Balloonfest eighty six. Organizers stopped the balloons would ascend into the atmosphere, fully deflate, and then return to Earth Instead. What happened is the balloons encountered a cold front, which kept them close to the ground. The fully inflated balloons spread across the city and Lake Erie, shutting down roads and airports. The worst consequence of all was that two fishermen were reported missing that day and The Coastguard said they couldn't find them because of the balloons, making it impossible to scan the lake. One pilot who searched for the men described flying through the balloons like traveling through an asteroid belt. Their bodies washed ashore a few days later. Now, Sandy, that was the bone I was throwing you because you grew up near Cleveland. It would have been thirty five years old when that happened. Do you not recall anything about Balloonfest eighty six?
Speaker 2: I'm not sure. I was in the country in nineteen eighty Where what have you been? I don't know. I have no idea. How did I miss that? I have no idea.
Speaker 1: This was the bone I was throwing.
Speaker 2: A guest in that guessed I would have guessed Cleveland just one general principles. I mean, the river caught on fire.
Speaker 5: So well, did you did you get? Did they get the world record?
Speaker 1: So here's what happened. They got the world record, but then Guinness took away following that event, any world records that could potentially create an ecological disaster, like most balloons released at one time, good for them. Cleveland changed the world record system forever.
Speaker 3: A bit of feedback on the tidbit h you named out you illustrated how it was a civil disaster, the closing of airports, uh huh, search and rescue complications, but you didn't lay out how.
Speaker 1: It was an ecological well, litter just everywhere.
Speaker 3: We didn't get into that.
Speaker 1: I feel like it's implied one point five million balloons littering Lake Erie and the Great State of Ohio.
Speaker 3: I spelt it didn't really.
Speaker 1: Question four the topic is cooking. This Cuban dish, which translates to hash in English, is a fragrant stew that includes ground meat, olives, and raisins. This Cuban dish, which translates to hash in English, is a fragrant stew that includes ground meat, olives, and raisins. Nobody in the room has come up with an answer yet, back to back tough questions.
Speaker 3: Is Shelby got three on this?
Speaker 1: We're only on question four.
Speaker 5: Cuban dish.
Speaker 1: Cuban dish translates to hash in English is a fragrant stew that includes ground meat, olives, and raisins. Rick with the only one to come up with an answer. How do you feel about your answer? Rick?
Speaker 5: Very poor?
Speaker 1: Okay may have a zero percenter here back to back something out there. So, as we learned on a previous show, the odds of zero percent are happening are seven percent, And now we have back to back seven percent questions, which seems like nobody's going to get the right answer. Give me a little more time, Kuran, how deep is your knowledge of Cuban food?
Speaker 5: Sadly not not too deep?
Speaker 1: Brody, any chance you get this one right?
Speaker 5: No, God, who's having fun?
Speaker 1: A tough batch of questions? Is everybody who's gonna come up with an answer have an answer?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 1: Essentially, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Steve saying cubano sandy without an answer, Rick sang Bao, pig stew, Rody sang Mixo, Corey sang fiddle pie, Karin without an answer, feedel pie, cal sang mohido answer yeah, delicious.
Speaker 5: Nobody got it right.
Speaker 1: The correct answer is pikadio. Oh really. Meat Eater contributor Justin Townsend described pikado as souped up, sloppy joe meat that's full of robust flavors. He said, the dishes taste will surprise you if you don't often eat authentic Latin American food. You can find his version of the recipe called venison Pikadio on the meadeater dot com. Steve, does that ring a bell now that you've heard it?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: Man, No, you've heard the word, but I will never anybody. Is anybody eat in pikadio? Bad question? That's on me. I'll take responsibility for that being a poor question. Question five topic is wildlife. This is our listener question in the week, which was won by Jeremy Jackson for setting this great question. Jeremy is going to get a book signed by Steve. A new species of ancient beaver was discovered in twenty twenty three, which researchers named after this southern gas station with a beaver mascot. A new species of ancient beaver was discovered in twenty twenty three, which researchers named after this southern gas station with a beaver mascot. Brody with a quick answer, Brody, do you have this one right? I'm not talking? Okay, this is this is a weakness for the Meat Eatter Trivia crew. We have folks from the West, the Midwest, the northeast, nobody from the South, though our southern listeners are going to be screaming at their radios right now when nobody has the right answer.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, I know what you're talking. Okay, because there are something let's cut.
Speaker 3: Let's cut the chit chat. See that was revealing that verified that I have the right answer. Do you think no? I know? No, I know.
Speaker 1: No again. A new species much less discovered in twenty twenty three, which researchers named after this Southern gas station with a beaver mascot chit.
Speaker 5: Chats two destining experience of dead silence in between the questions on this one, I think, uh like a little chit chats in order. Yeah, in this episode?
Speaker 1: Do you think you have a chance of getting this one right?
Speaker 5: Cal, I don't think I have the correct name.
Speaker 8: No, yeah, I don't, Spencer, I mean, let's let's go. I was just gonna quickly ask whether you've got a stat you can pull off just the top of your head of whether we've had two zero percenters in a row, which we had just had.
Speaker 1: I know, we ever had three, We've had it once, We've never had three.
Speaker 5: I hate to say this five minute intro to this episode that was nothing but statistics. I lost attention immediately.
Speaker 1: Does everybody who's going to come up with an answer have an answer? Yes, let's go. Corey, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Steve sang BUCkies, Sandy without an answer, Rick sang Rudders, Brody sang BUCkies, Corey sang Sinclair beaver antiques, Karen sang giant beaver, Cal sang BUCkies, Paul saying what's that? Say Paul? Yeah, the correct answer is BUCkies.
Speaker 5: I think I think it's spelled. I think Brodie spelled spells.
Speaker 1: Nobody spelled the right. It's b u c dash ee apostrophe.
Speaker 5: Es oh ouch.
Speaker 1: This beaver was discovered in a fossil collection at the University of Texas. The new species was about thirty percent bigger than our modern North American beaver and lived along the Gulf Coast fifteen million years ago. The researcher was inspired to name the beaver after BUCkies, who holds the world record for largest convenience store and longest car wash cal How did you like your BUCkies experience when you were there? Would you like one in Bozeman?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 5: I would not not at all. I mean our town pumps, are you know, like a third of the size of a Bucky's. I mean, they're amazing for only for the fact of like a giant monument to American consumerism. Like it's as disgusting as it is impressive.
Speaker 1: Fail. We are halfway through our game of trivia. Give us a scoreboard update, which I think is going to be kind of said.
Speaker 5: It's pretty desolate.
Speaker 8: We've got Corey, Paul and Rick with zero points still halfway through the game. Sandy and Corinne each have one point apiece and Steve callim Brody are tied up in a very soft first place two points.
Speaker 3: Anybody's Game.
Speaker 1: Question six. The topic is conservation. This Animal Planet show with an alliterative name followed the Sea shepherds as they attempted to stop Japanese whalers. This Animal Planet show with an alliterative name followed the sea shepherds as they attempted to stop Japanese whalers. Quick answer from Steve and Rick, Rick, do you have this one right? Maybe this one.
Speaker 5: Animal Planet show? Cow?
Speaker 3: Just think yourself, it's like, holy cow.
Speaker 5: Well, I don't watch a lot of TV. I'm trying to think it through.
Speaker 1: Here's the question again, cal This Animal Planet show with an alliterative name followed the sea shepherds as they attempted to stop Japanese whalers. Steve thinks he's going to take the lead here. Brody does not look confident in hiding his face with the whiteboard.
Speaker 5: Let's give me one more minute.
Speaker 1: Stephen, Rick may be the only ones who get this? Or Corey? Do you know it? Okay?
Speaker 3: I could just be playing coy.
Speaker 7: Steve's way more confident than me.
Speaker 1: So do you have an answer?
Speaker 3: Brody?
Speaker 1: Steve you watching animal plan on a lot?
Speaker 3: That's good.
Speaker 1: Cal, how you doing?
Speaker 5: I know what alliteration is?
Speaker 1: Okay? Just does everybody have an answer? Go ahead and reveal your answers. What's that say? Whale warriors? Steve saying whale warriors, Sandy without an answer, Rick saying whale watchers, Brody saying whale watchers, Corey saying whale watchers. Corinen without an answer, Cal saying whale watch Paul Is saying green keepers. Nobody got it, but the correct answer was whale wars. Some folks flirted.
Speaker 3: With the.
Speaker 1: He wrote too many letters after war. The answer was whale wars. We had whale watchers, whale watch, whale warriors nobody got it. Whale Wars lasted for seven seasons from two thousand and eight to twenty fifteen. The Sea Shepherds would trail Japanese whalers around the ocean and try to sabotage them by throwing stink bombs at their boat. The show and its crew received mixed reviews, with one Wall Street Journal critic writing this quote, what is shocking is how unprepared most of these people are for their self appointed mission as planet savers. Although the word deadly is used often to underscore the risks the crew face, their own incompetence can seem the most frightening. Steve, did you ever watch that show?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: But the other day I was staying in a place and they had books on the shelf, and there was a book called Whale Warriors.
Speaker 1: If only you didn't see it.
Speaker 3: It was about people trying to sabotage whalers, and so I thought that must be the show.
Speaker 5: Oh, you gotta watch more, TV bro put those books away.
Speaker 1: Question seven the topic is forging. This next great question comes to is via Ryan Foster. If you have a question you think is right for Meat Eater Trivia, you can send it to trivia at the meadeater dot com. Chicago is named after this plant, which is a type of wild onion. Chicago is named after this plant, which is a type of wild onion. Steve again with a quick answer, do you have this one?
Speaker 3: I don't know?
Speaker 1: Okay. Sandy also with a quick answer, Sandy is just as an educated guest. Do you know this answer?
Speaker 2: I don't know the answer?
Speaker 1: Okay. A tough round of trivia again, This is a question.
Speaker 3: Is you're like really.
Speaker 1: Ship on this?
Speaker 7: You know, Spencer, I feel like last trivia I gave you a lot of ship for the question, and now I'm like, this is hard.
Speaker 3: You know when he used to when he was like, he used to kind of sell his abilities as the host by be like, well, anybody can come up with questions no one knows the answer to, right, It's true, folks, he was like he prided himself on getting these questions that would have like like a good way to return folks love how many grains of sand are on Omaha Beach? No one knew, But now that's kind of the territory, I agree.
Speaker 1: Folks who love to write in with questions with the subject line being like Steve will never get this one right, or I'm gonna stump the whole crew.
Speaker 8: You should text Shelby and see what nonprofit she wants to donate.
Speaker 1: Okay again, Chicago is named after this plant, which is a type of wild onion, and the category is foraging.
Speaker 3: Let's go m.
Speaker 1: Paul. You're gonna come up with an answer. Does everybody else have an answer? Rick? There, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Steve saying chickory, Sandy saying skunk cabbage, Rick sang, Brody sang chickory, Cory sang chives, Krim say, Chicory saying ramp. Paul without an answer, we have somebody with the correct answer in the room. It is leak or ramp cow. Got it right?
Speaker 5: I thought garlic, not wild.
Speaker 1: Garlic and wild onion come from like the same family. In fact, I think wild garlic is a type of wild onion. Wild onion is a type of wild god.
Speaker 5: I have never heard wild onions described as anything other than wild onions.
Speaker 3: So way through? How do you get from ramp to Chicago?
Speaker 1: This name comes from the algonquin word that means striped skunk or onion. Early explorers said that local tribes referred to the place as Chicago, which was from the abundance of leaks and ramps that grew along nearby waterways.
Speaker 2: But see, I knew the skunk's part, right, I remember it had something to do with skunks.
Speaker 1: Had that part again? Correct answer be leak or ramp only col got it right. Question eight. The topic is biology. Robert Paine introduced this term in nineteen sixty nine that describes a species on which other species in an ecosystem drastically depend on. Robert Pain introduced this term in nineteen sixty nine that describes a species on which other species in an ecosystem drastically depend on.
Speaker 5: I don't like this one either.
Speaker 1: Oh, this one bugs me because I know it. I can't think of it. Rick knew it? Quick answer, Steve, you seem like you knew it? No, No, maybe.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, I'm doing terribles. Really going to get an email from me.
Speaker 1: After this again. Topic is biology. Robert Pain introduced this term in nineteen sixty nine that describes a species on which other species in an ecosystem drastically depend on.
Speaker 3: I do think I got it.
Speaker 1: Okay, good, We need some points on the board from folks. Even if it's Steve and you root against Eve. Want you to get this one right.
Speaker 3: Even though you normally root against me.
Speaker 1: Traditionally folks root against you, You're still You're still in your heel area, heel Era. But as we've learned before, you're coming around your babyface era. Cal, You're gonna get this one.
Speaker 5: I don't know, Ken, I don't know. I mean I have questions M that I can't ask because somebody.
Speaker 1: Does. Everybody have an answer. Go ahead and reveal your answer. We have Steve saying key stone, Sandy saying keystone, Rick saying keystone, Brody saying symbiotic, Corey without an answer, Krin without an answer, Cal saying keystone, Paul without an answer. They got it. The correct answer is keystone species.
Speaker 2: That was a good try, Brody, that's.
Speaker 5: Good you know.
Speaker 1: Payne's discovery was considered groundbreaking as he was one of the first ecologists to recognize that some ecosystems would drastically change if just a single keystone species disappeared. His example was with starfish, but other Keystone species. These include otters, elephants, wolves, beavers, and prairie dogs. Phil we have two questions left.
Speaker 5: Nobody gonna talk about the bullshittiness of that. I mean, he discovered that, come on.
Speaker 3: Well described it.
Speaker 1: A lot of folks said it like changed ecology when he recognized how important one species could be.
Speaker 5: And it was basically, people, are you now that he changed it for the worse not the better?
Speaker 1: But I feel like that's just like specific to like wolves and Yellowstone or something, right.
Speaker 5: But everything's like there are far more keystones than the keystone in a doorway.
Speaker 3: Because Yellowstone was there doing pretty good for a very long time with the wolves.
Speaker 1: Phil we have two questions, though, give us a update.
Speaker 8: Corey and Paul are no longer in the running with zero points. Neither are Rick and Kurin, who have one point apiece. However, Sandy and Brody have two points, are still technically hanging on. Steve has three and cows and first points first place with four points okay, also beating Shelby.
Speaker 1: Still chasing Shelby index to get six right. Question nine. The topic is fishing. This state holds the world's biggest ice fishing contest every year on Gall Lake. This state holds the world's biggest ice fishing contest every year on Gall Lake. Brody do you know this one.
Speaker 5: We'll find out.
Speaker 1: Okay, is it just a guest, Brody, or you've.
Speaker 8: Just scared everyone in this room saying a single word.
Speaker 1: Clyde show Ever, uh, I'm not going to comment. Okay, it's like you either know stuff about ice fishing and you don't Texas. Don't say Texas. It's not going to be Texas. This state holds the world's biggest ice fishing contest every year on gall Lake g U l L.
Speaker 5: I'm saying I have a fifty percent chance.
Speaker 1: Okay, good for you, Cal.
Speaker 5: But I don't know that that's true.
Speaker 1: I'm pulling for you, Cal. It looks better for me if you get these last two right and you hit the Shelby index, I'll do it for you. SPA. Okay, thank you. Does everybody have an answer? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Steve Sang Minnesota, Sandy Sang Minnesota, Rick Saying Wisconsin, Brody Saying Minnesota, Cory Sang, Minnesota, Krinn Sang, North Dakota, Cal sanyg Minnesota, Paul Sang, Minnesota. The correct answer is Minnesota. The Brainer jc's ice fishing Extravaganza has been going on since nineteen ninety one, twelve thousand anglers competed for two hundred and seventy five thousand dollars in prizes. During the twenty twenty three competition, the winning fish this year was a nine point four or five pound wileye, which was caught by a thirteen year old Minnesota. Now I have a confession. After I wrote that question and was fact checking the answer, I came across an article in Outside magazine from twenty seventeen. It was actually written by Sandy, So Sandy an immediate you got two bones thrown to you this game. What do you remember about the the brainer j C's ice Fishing Extravaganza.
Speaker 2: Well, on a previous show you talked about how they clean up after burning man and they pick up even the tiniest thing. These people were picking up cheese curds out of the ice chess. There was a boy scout troop and after they left all the ice, all the holes froze over. There was not a sign of anything except they did have one rectangular hole where they had returned the fish into the lake and that was still there.
Speaker 1: Did you enjoy the event?
Speaker 3: When I loved it.
Speaker 2: It was it was excellent, and there were thousands of people there. It was just it was it was windy, it was really cold, but it is a great event. If you ever want to go to a great ice fishing tournament, I recommend.
Speaker 1: And were there a lot of extracurriculars going on, the drinking and beer luges and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: It's too cold for that. You can't have any shelter of any kind. You can't have a shelter of any kind. So yes, people were keeping their place like so you wouldn't someone else wouldn't take your hole by putting like little boxes of chocolate doughnuts on them. But sometimes it would be kept by you know, a six pack or twelve pack or something like that, which of course would freeze solid soon.
Speaker 1: And I like that you recognize that they cleaned up so well after them, So that was amazing.
Speaker 2: It was really great. The brainer Jc's do it. And they have these boy Scout troops that get out there. It's wonderful event.
Speaker 5: Brainer's the official home of Paul Bunion, right or just the Blue Ox.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I might I don't remember the Paul Bunion, but yeah, it could well be. They Brainerd is a place that used to have a lot of paper factories, and the paper factories left because we import all our paper except toilet paper because toilet paper is too bulky. So they and they weren't doing a lot of toilet paper, and so that was basically to bring up the tourism in the winter. They came up with this and it's been a huge success.
Speaker 1: Phail, we have one question left. Where does the leader board stand?
Speaker 8: Uh Cal is in first place with five points and Steve is the only person that can technically catch him with four.
Speaker 1: Question ten the topic is hunting. This next great question comes to us via Shall and Teach. If you have a question you think is right for media to trivia, you can send it to trivia to mediator dot com. According to quail Forever, there are six species of quail native to North America.
Speaker 3: Name two of them the stupidest question in the world.
Speaker 1: According to quail forever, there are six species of quail native to North America. I need you to name two of them.
Speaker 3: Well, you're just give them the whole game to cal.
Speaker 1: Unsus. Cal doesn't get it. You ought to aim to have your questions somewhere in between this one and the ones that no one get a stupid one.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, can you pick one that's non native.
Speaker 1: You need to tell me, or one of the two native ones? What cal are you leaking there? Huh? Are you leaking confidence in this answer?
Speaker 5: I'm just I'm truly wondering. Are there non native quail in North America? I'm not sure that there are?
Speaker 1: Do you have an answer?
Speaker 5: I have two answers.
Speaker 1: Is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Steve saying Bob White and Mern, Sandy saying Gambles and Bob White. We're saying Bob White and Southern, Brody saying Bob White, Scaled, Corey saying Desert and Bob White, Krin saying Bob White without a second answer, cal saying Merns and Bob White. Paul saying Bob White and California. These six are Bob White, California or Valley, Mountain, Gambles or Desert scaled or Blue Mourns or Montezuma. Now why I thought this was okay questions because there's so many additional names somebody could have written down, like Gambles and desert or California and Valley or Merns and Montezuma, and I think we had a few pokes get the question wrong, Steve.
Speaker 5: California and does any better.
Speaker 3: Well, it's about it's something that I would know that Cal didn't know that ain't. That's what kind of what I needed there.
Speaker 5: According to Quail Forever Quail, I'm not sure if you've played this before.
Speaker 1: But according to Quail Forever, quail almost never die of old age. Their average lifespan is less than a year because they are preyed upon by so many other animals. It's estimated that about seventy five percent of America's quail population dies each year, which they offset with large broods.
Speaker 3: Cal hit the Shelby Inducks.
Speaker 1: Cal hit the Shelby index.
Speaker 5: I'm in getting real into birds and habitat last couple of years working with some some cool folks, chatting them up, and it's like just staggering the like they they live to die, Turkeys, pheasants, Yeah, yeah, they're just they produce. It's a numbers game, that's all it is.
Speaker 1: It's great now. The question that turned it around for you was the Chicago foraging ramp that you got right and no one else did. It's well, done.
Speaker 5: Thank you, cal.
Speaker 1: What happens next is you get to choose with a five hundred dollars donation from meat Eater Ghosts for getting six right and winning the game. So what's it going to be.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna throw five hundred bucks at Montana Bha. It's been a brutal legislative session. Need more money to throw at the lobbyist.
Speaker 1: What does that mean?
Speaker 5: It means that there's a bunch of legislation out there that will affect everyone in this room, and not all of it is good.
Speaker 1: Got more No, is that.
Speaker 5: It will pay attention. People. All this stuff affects you, for God's sake, in every state. If your state's in session, you need to pay attention. It will affect you possibly this next season. And if all you do is complain, I don't want to hear it is.
Speaker 1: They're very palatable, easy to listen to.
Speaker 8: Short podcasts that comes out every week that someone going to stuff like that.
Speaker 5: God, I don't even I record it every week, Phil, but it's called cos week in Review. Check it out.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Sandy, thank you for joining us. You did well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel I feel very happy about my my success.
Speaker 1: I think you finished like middle top of the pack, which is good for a guest on this show.
Speaker 2: Well, what is the best to guests? Didn't you say we guest got eight, one, ten?
Speaker 1: Well from the guests, usually I think our best guest get one, six or seven. I don't know if we've had an eight. Maybe can you.
Speaker 3: Think of a sports analogy for like where I'm at right now?
Speaker 1: Tell me where you're at.
Speaker 3: Mused to be like such a like a dominating force, and now I can't win at all, But like I'm looking for one where you come back, sure, like Tiger Woods or something.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So the the Golden State Warriors, they have Steph Curry, Clay Jompson. They are a dynasty who then went away for a few years and then came back last year and won the championship.
Speaker 3: I like that ship.
Speaker 1: Now this year they're flirting with like a sixth seed in the West, but they still scare folks a hell of a lot, even though their recent success maybe hasn't earned them that.
Speaker 8: I think a better analogy would be Peyton Manning, if it works out.
Speaker 3: For you, if I came back like he was real good.
Speaker 4: And things got rough, then he moved to Denver and won a couple of Super Bowls
Speaker 3: And yeah, like that, let's sick at Tiger Woods, join us next time for and retired the only game show where conservation always wins.