Speaker 1: What kind of a show you guys putting on here today? You're not interested in art?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: No, Look, we're going to do this thing. We're going to have a.
Speaker 3: Conversation from Chicago. This is Film Spotting. I'm Adam Kempinar.
Speaker 1: And and for Josh Larson this week, I'm Michael Phillips.
Speaker 2: I thought, against my better judgment, my family's expectation, the inferiority of your birth, my rank and circumstances, all these things that I'm wanting to put them aside and ascue you through end my agony. I didn't understand Hello.
Speaker 3: You despite the inferiority of my birth. Michael, thank you for joining me this week to talk about Joe Wright's pride and prejudice, which, like Film Spotting, turns twenty this year.
Speaker 1: Between my sense and your sensibility, this should be a really good show.
Speaker 3: There you go, plus our top five rain scenes and film Spotting Madness best of the twenty first century so far, it's all ahead on Film Spotting.
Speaker 4: This episode is brought to you by Peloton break through the busiest time of year with the brand new Peloton Cross Training tread plus powered by Peloton Iq with real time guidance and endless ways to move. You can personalize your workouts and train with confidence, helping you reach your goals in less time. Let yourself run, lift, sculpt, push and go. Explore the new Peloton Cross Training tread plus at one peloton dot com.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Film Spotting, and welcome back Michael Phillips. I think the last time we saw you was the OSCARS special. How did your oscar prognostications turn out?
Speaker 1: Worst ever in my life? I think, worst ever for any recorded human in the oscar history. No, I did terrible. I did great last year, like at twenty one out of twenty three, and this was like negative five for twenty three.
Speaker 3: I mean, you're just slipping.
Speaker 1: I got stuff wrong that wasn't even up. I mean it wasn't even up. You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, better luck hopefully tonight. I did put it in the really fine print of your contract, so it's okay if you missed it. We are going to have to talk a little film spotting madness tonight. Best of the twenty first century so far, sixty four films in only one survives. We are down to the elite eight. Can you guess one of the films? One film from the past twenty five years that you think remains among those.
Speaker 1: Eight A parasite.
Speaker 3: For God's sake, well done, Parasite is among the elite eight. We will give you the rest of that group a bit later in the show. Also later the indie baseball movie Ephis and Seabeams will Glitter in the Dark with our top five rain scenes. A big show this week, Michael, Before we get to our twentieth anniversary review of Joe Wrt's Pride and Prejudice, we did want to take a moment to acknowledge the passing last week of Val Kilmer, sixty five years old. Who is the first character you think of when you think about or just tell us how you first encountered Bell Kilmer as an actor.
Speaker 1: Michael, Yeah, talk about snobbery. This sounds like I'm just trying to tone the show up desperately. But the first thing I think I was seeing Val Kilmer when I was in college at the Guthrie Theater doing Orlando and As You Like It. He was straight out of Juilliard and he was doing As You Like It at the Guthrie with Patty Lapone in the lead, and they were kind of tearing it up. I mean they were terrific. They were terrific, and he had they had this sage, he had the stage chops to fill that Guthrie, the old Guthrie Theater. So yeah, yeah, Yet it was not it was not hard to detect that he had a modicum of talent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I don't. I don't know how much I want to say, because a lot of times when great actors pass, we like to pay tribute to them here on Film Spotting, as we recently did with Gene Hackman, and do our top five scenes by that actor, or maybe our top five characters. And though Val Kilmer's filmography may not be quite as esteemed as someone like Gene Hackman, there are more than enough great scenes and moments to do such a top five. And here's what I also know, Michael, with a hat tip to the respective screenwriters in these cases, Bell Kilmer is responsible for two of the movie characters I still quote the most to this day. Chris Knight from nineteen eighty five's Real Genius, Yes, Real Genius really, one of my first screen heroes. Brilliant, hilarious, but edgy, a rebel at his nerdy college. And then, of course the brilliant, hilarious, edgy and rebellious Doc Holiday in Tombstone.
Speaker 1: I'm with you, but I'm both, I'm both of them. I think Real Genius is a really good that's Martha Coolidge.
Speaker 3: Just yes, it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I mean she's I mean you can just tell you had you had you had a different refreshing perspective on what could have been just sort of brow humor all the way. And I mean, you know, to the degree a director can deal with the script. But yeah, I know he's really good in that. And I mean I think that Doc Holiday before Mormans is one of the two of his that I treasure the most. In fact, what is the other one? Oh, you want me to tell you the other one? This is controversial. Okay, you could say top Gun either top Gun he's the best thing in both whom he's probably you could say any number of things. I am a mysteriously vulnerable fan to the craziness that is the Saint. You know, I love. I love the movie doesn't work at all, it's not, but I love seeing a guy who just can't give two f's at about like playing along with the Blockbuster game. You know, he's just he's got twelve disguises, twelve characters to play within that character, and he is having a ball. I mean, and I think the work he does not just the cheap dialect humor of which the movie. That's why the movie exists, for vealkim or to have a cheap dialect real when he's done with it. But he's that's it. But it just is he's got kind of a kind of a you know, he's such a blithe, you know, sort of bluesh you know presence, you know in a in a movie that you know is preposters who asked for a reboot of the Saint anyway, you know, I mean, I mean the character goes back to the twenties and the literary roots, and then of course the Roger Moore series in the sixties, which had a great theme. Actually, but this movie, I mean, do you do you remember that film?
Speaker 3: I remember it, but you know what, never bothered to see it.
Speaker 1: Well, wait a minute, I guess when I say do you remember.
Speaker 3: That, I remember seeing scenes from it, I remember it being a thing. I remember it being largely dismissed, and I never felt felled to watch the entire film.
Speaker 1: I just so I know going forward at him. So when I when I say, did you see this, and you say, oh, yes, I remember that one? Well, okay, well that.
Speaker 3: It was actually I'm aware of the Saint Michael.
Speaker 1: Yes, do you recall that? Do you recall that it was filmed and then released? Okay? Okay, good? But I mean felt honestly, it's just it's just dumb as dirt in a way. But but it's Kilmer is just a gas in that. And I hadn't seen it since the nineties until last week again, and uh, and I remembered it well actually yeah, and uh, and I do I love he's he's such a mercurial talent, and and it's hard to see him go because he never really got the career. I don't know if I don't know what kind of career he wanted or made or or went after. I get the feeling he didn't really chase any of the usual you know it to stardom dreams or anything. But I'm just glad he was around while we had him, and and it was a thrill to see him when I was in college, just just kind of having a real, u vivid, easy going, kind of delightful turn in Shakespeare. So yeah, so sad to see him go.
Speaker 3: Mercurial is a good word for him, because he just seems so preternaturally comfortable on screen and uncalculated. And the night that I came home after hearing of his passing, I decided to just throw on Tombstone. And it had been several years since I had seen it, but I just kind of wanted it on in the background. It was okay if I got distracted by the kids or whatever was happening. I just wanted it on and I just wanted to hear that drawl. And I ended up paying pretty close attention to it Michael and throughout and really lingering after it. I could sum up for you intellectually why that character is such a beloved character. Why on the page almost anybody playing him would have been a whot. We would have had some fun with him. But I, honestly, after finishing the movie, still can't tell you or articulate exactly what it is that Kilmer is doing that makes that character one of the most memorable screen characters and what is otherwise? And I really do like the film I considered a favorite movie of mine, but I wouldn't argue with anyone who said it's a pretty mediocre Western, but that character is one of the most memorable characters in a Western or any other genre film of the last twenty five thirty years.
Speaker 1: You must be Dae Holiday. That's the rum you retired too, not me. I'm in my prime. Yeah, you look at I think when you look at the Westerns that have real reasons to revisit them now that were made let's say, since nineteen eighty eighty five, you know, so that includes a lot of Eastwood stuff and a lot of other things. But that performance is any ensemble that Kilmer joined and was part of. I think probably created on set this feeling of like, well, he's doing that, and why I can't try to do anything like that, because that's just, you know, literally not going to work if more than one person is trying that sort of eccentric, very sly verbal humor, just kind of getting getting strange line readings out of some good lines, I mean actual Actually it's a pretty good script in tunestim I love I love the way at the poker table. I said that must be a preach of a hand.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And those are good lines and he's got them and he knows, he knows what to do with them, and it's not Kurt Russell has a similar thing, and that's that kind of like twinkle in his eye. Not not necessarily in that in his part in that film, but Russell in many films is kind of that sort he serves that sort of uh, I don't want to say a gesture role, but it's kind of like a gester, you know, it's like the court jester just having a little fun with everybody else, kind of messing with and keeping all the actors on their toes and and to the audience's delight.
Speaker 3: Yeah. In the film Spotting Archive, there are a few films we've reviewed that Val Kilmer appeared in, but surprisingly disappointingly few. We talked about Bad Lieutenant port of called New Orleans. He is in that. He's in Terrence Malick's Song to Song. Michael, you were actually on that show episode six twenty eight. That was the same episode we talked about Casablanca, gave that the Sacred Cow treatment, and yes, Top Gun Maverick appears very briefly episode eight seventy five. I will say this as a tease for content coming up later this year. I have been hounding Josh and Sam because it is thirty years to do a sacred cow review of Heat. I don't know how we have gone this long and not talked about that great Michael manfilm, but this is the occasion it seems to do it.
Speaker 1: I like it. I like it. I think that the bonus content and that would have to be just the hair of Heat, the guy's hair. Absolutely no, because the hair is I can't even Actually, I don't have words. I would be a terrible guest on that one. But yeah, yeah, I just don't have words. I say, you asked me a question, I just say I have no words. I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: There you go, Okay. Pride and Prejudice the two thousand and five adaptation of Jane Austen's eighteen thirteen novel directed by Joe Wright, starring Kiera Knightley as Austin heroin Naplus Ultra, Elizabeth Bennett, Matthew mcfatty and Is mister Darcy Donald Sutherland, mister Bennett, Brenda Bluffin is Missus Bennett. We did review this on the show way back in two thousand and five, and to answer the question some of you may be asking why revisit it now, Well, it is coming back to theaters. We'll talk a little bit more about that at the end. But it could be because of its four Oscar nominations back in six including one for Nightly, or to honor Donald Sutherland who passed away last year, Maybe to remember that McFadyen of succession fame was once pretty hot. Or maybe because if you go to Letterboxed and filter it by ranking of all films released in two thousand and five by popularity, the number one title isn't Batman Begins or Broke Back Mountain or even Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Michael or Star Wars Episode three Revenge of the Sith. It's Joe Wright's Pride and Prejudice, Yes kidding. That either tells you something about the movie or about Letterboxed, maybe both. I wanted to revisit it because when I's all it was coming back to theaters, I knew this was an occasion to reconsider a movie that I liked back in two thousand and five, but would never have envisioned that twenty years later it would be a top such a ranking, and my cost at the time, Sam adored it. My daughter, Sophie, who is now as old as this film, loves this film and I thought, you know, she's on the payroll now, Michael as our production assistant. Why not employ her then to tell us a little bit about why she loves the movie so much and see if she can set us up for our conversation.
Speaker 2: Hey, film spotting it is a new PA. Sophie currently calling in from a train to Vienna. I'm trying to live my before Sunrise dreams. I still have time between Oxford terms and looking around right now, I don't see Ethan Hawk quite yet, but I'm sure he'll be here soon. Otherwise, I'm mean, whats the point of him being here? But anyway, no distance could keep me from calling in. When the topic is two thousand and five Joe Wright, Pride and Prejudice, I mean, how app this year's mat and this theme is best of the century so far, just in time to discuss this movie one of the great cinematic works of our age. For the selection committee's sake, I'll assume its absence on the bracket was just an unfortunate oversight. Now also act that the film is celebrating its twentieth year alongside the show. It got an original review back No. Five on Cinecast number fifty eight. Listening back, I was struck by Sam's comment that Wright's greatest triumph was his success in bringing language to cinema. Sam credits the sharp, witty screenplay with making him more articulate even hours after viewing Now. If you are like me, knee deep into niche Austenite infighting, you are familiar with the forever raging battle over which pride and prejudice screen adaptation is superior This or the nineteen ninety five BBC mini series starring Jennifer E. Lee and Colin Firth. Sam's praise echoes a central point of contention in that debate the value of historical accuracy and loyalty to the original book. Writes detractor argue, he took too many creative liberties with his overly sentimental romantic world, one that is incongruous with the restraint the story demands. In their view, the language Sam found so illuminating is instead a bastardized imitation of Austin's text. Various characters dress and hair is often misaligned with the period and or their status. The iconic hand flex isn't in the book at all. Wright brings language to cinema with his choice of subject, but he also presents this story with an entirely new cinematic language, to the delight and derision of many. So, Adam and Michael, I ask you, did Joe write sparkling vistas, hand flexes and rain soak proposals? Have you swooning? Or should he have dialed the drama back? Or should I say, will Adam follow Lizzie and Darcy's example and reevaluate his tepid first impression from twenty years ago? Or are the shades of film Spotting to be thus polluted once more?
Speaker 3: Thank you Sophie for that. To tease my reaction to the film on this revisit, I'll say that film Spotting, like Pemberley, is now pristine. It's unpolluted. Michael, But what say you? What was your reaction back in two thousand and five, if you got a chance to revisit it before this conversation, how did you take to it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I did, and I hadn't seen the thing for a long time, and I went back and read the review from two thousand and five, and I loved it good. I loved it then it was you know, three and a half start. I liked it more than you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I don't want to undermine you in front of Sophie, but I deserve it. You know, well who knows, But I will say this, what I remembered from the first viewing and from the most recent is still held to. It takes about fifteen twenty minutes to kind of just adjust your maybe your expectations or your preconceptions about the material, because there is, as I wrote back in five, there's a lot of barnyard mud and cackling geese. In this version, it's very boisterous and the boisterousness and sort of the comic uh, kind of the bumptious comic quality in the first twenty to thirty minutes just to kind of establish that this family is not, of course it's in the lace. Really it's more like, you know, they are, you know, middle class, you know, living with far it's you know, on the farm, and you don't get the oh, kind of the exquisite high toned edge to all the language. It's it's a little more conversational and it's if you can get into that rhythm. Though, as the film also kind of finds its rhythm after fifteen minutes. It is completely intoxicating anything And it's all Joe writes, camera work is so fluid and and so and it's not showing off. It's not necessarily He's done plenty of that in his career, with like the the Dunkirk sequence and a toonement and I mean this, this is there's a little of that what I what I loved the first time. And on the rewatch where the just the way he'd sweep you into a ball a ball a party. Uh, you know, another scene with all these you know, all these family members. Uh, it's got a real activating quality. And and then you get you get shifts visual and otherwise that really really really catch up short in a great way. Like I love the scene where Rosamund Pike and Kira Knightley are under the sheets having that late night talk and it's it's just it's just beautiful, uh, framework and just you know, really really felt again all over again, like you're hearing a conversation in that in that kind of really really lovely intimate feeling that you just don't get in a lot of Jane Austen. So there I'm I'm well, what about you.
Speaker 3: I I had such a different reaction this time around. I'd love to attribute it to being maybe just a better critic at this point, Michael, I was just so wrong about this movie, and Sophie and Sam back in two thousand and five, who gave it five stars out of five, Hello, they're just so right about it. And I didn't re listen to that episode because I tried to never go into the archive and re listen to myself. I also couldn't track down any notes from that far back. So I do want to point out that the only thing I carried into this viewing was the recollection that I found Nightley's performance to be limited. I agree, agree, That's all I remembered about my reaction. Then. Fortunately Sophie listened to episode fifty eight and took notes, which meant I could check twenty twenty five Atam against two thousand and five ATOM through her. Turns out two thousand and five Adam was a dummy there. There wasn't a single criticism I made then that holds now. Not only was I down on Nightly way too much, it turns out I called mcfaddy in a drip liked him so much better this time. I railed against Brenda Blafin for crying out loud as Missus Bennett, who I think is quite good in the film. I wasn't moved by it much as a romance at the time, and while I thought the filmmaking was fine, I wasn't stirred by Right's formal choices, certainly not the way I would be a few years later with the tonement, leading me to wonder, now, Michael, as if possible I didn't actually watch Pride and Prejudice back in two thousand and five because I think about the filmmaking now. Right's approach is elegant, vibrant, and prudently ostentatious. I'll explain why I say that, because he does he does take some very bold steps with the material. But that opening following Elizabeth back home from her walk with the book, tracking along the clothesline and picking up and introducing us to all the other Bennetts there within long burn the piano that's playing the score, it seems, of course, to be non diegetic, or is it because the younger sister we see is actually playing the piano forte when the camera stops on her and so maybe for a second we think there's a little bit of playfulness, Oh, is that actually emanating from her Elizabeth then watching her mother and father through the window, listening to them, kind of eaves dropping on them, placing her like an observer to the drama that is about to all play out the same way we are as viewers. And Right does something similar later in the film, moving along the windows, revealing all the Bennetts, some separation, some sharing spaces, they're all united by the camera. And there's another move like it that comes in the middle very intentionally, I think, where that roving camera sneaks around and just spies on all the conversations. I think this might even be I could be wrong, but that might even be where we see and hear Jane and Elizabeth, as you said, the under the covers, but just kind of sneaking us into all the conversations and those storylines. It's just it's just so again, elegant is the only way I can describe it. And the lighting, even Michael harnessing natural light the way Right does in so many of these scenes, which feels like it could be very appropriate to the period, using candles. Then later to really dramatic effect in darker scenes. How about that great confrontation where I think, I think Knightley absolutely holds her own against even the likes of Dame Judy Dench as Lady de Burgh, with those candles just lighting their faces and giving her giving Dench a little bit of extra viciousness there and that scene adding real tension to it.
Speaker 5: Has my nephew made you an offer of marriage? Your ladyship has declared it to be impossible. That may be understood, mister Darcy is engaged to my daughter. Now what have you to say?
Speaker 1: Only this?
Speaker 5: If that is the case, you can have no reason to suppose he would make an offer to me, You selfish girl. This union has been planned since their infancy. Do you think it can be prevented by a young woman of infery of birth whose own sister's elopement resulted in a scandalously patched up marriage only achieved the expense of your uncle and earth are the shades of Pemberle little bit that's polluted? Now tell me once and for all, are you engaged to him leaving Netherfield?
Speaker 3: When when Bingley is departing, and thus it seems dashing all of Jane's hopes for marriage right just employs a little bit of slow motion, the servants throwing the sheets up, covering the furniture. It's so lovely and subtly grandiose, right where the doors even close on us who are outside, kind of like curtains going down in the theater, like this chapter, this act has ended, and I just think that's such a beautiful touch. And I'll give you one more, even though I'm gonna go on and give you some of those ostentatious ones. Here in a little bit the not so obvious but really lovely match cut, we get where Elizabeth at one point blows on a feather in her hand and it cuts to a flame, as if as if she could be blowing out the flame or she's kind of igniting the flame with her breadth. There are so many lovely moments like that, and including one more quick one, Michael, the one that inspired our top five this week, the rain scene, that proposal and post rain scene, that shot of her just ensconced in darkness. There are so many great choices like that in this film, and again I'll say it, I don't know how I missed them. In two thousand and five, they're there.
Speaker 1: It's always worth listening to your first reaction, just you know, just to see how it's changed and all that. But there is I think I would actually address both atoms in this case, the twenty twenty five version of especially, but I think there is something it Maybe it relates a little bit to my sense the first time and on the rewatch that the movie does push it pretty hard, you know, in terms of sort of comic and visual style in that first you know, in the introductions and in some of the key scenes in the first fifteen twenty minutes. So yes, yes, that is when you see Nightley, who was all of twenty at the point sort of sort of working you know, a little hard, and she doesn't all the way through. She does, I think, find many more kind of like range, you know, points along the range or her natural range to find, you know, the real emotional range in the role in the material. I think you're actually right about Brenda Blevin. I think I wrote back in five and I like this film health a lot, you know, I wrote that she is pitched like she's auditioning for a music hall review. Yeah, I mean that's you know, it's a little like she's unfortunately auditioning for you know, Madame Frendre and Le Miz and I don't ever want to see anyone sing Master of the House again, so you know that I had a little bit of a bad reaction to that. But the I think it's just it was bled and who was in an extremely technically skilled actor, you know, I think again she was just I think I think the directive from Joe Wright, I'm guessing is to like this, we have to just pay this has to be pacy at the beginning, and we're just going to really kind of swirl, uh, you know, swirl the audience in to this sort of mailstrom that is this family and in this place and in this kind of gorgeous, little muddy little corner of England, and you know, some things work better than others. But yes, it's hard to look at Kira Knightley and mcfaddy and Matthew mcfaddy and in direct relation to the pride and prejudice that was on everybody's mind when this came out in No Fi, which was ten years earlier. The British television series adaptation with Jennifer Eally and Colin Firth, which is sort of Olympian level casting. I mean, I mean they are just sublime, I think. And they're both wonderful, wonderful performers and weren't particularly well known to most Americans then. And this is a very different feeling here in Joe Wright's version, it does. It all feels very much friskier and younger and more a little more kind of comically petulant and different kind of you know, kind of spirit of the comedy. But I don't know. I think in the key scenes, even when I remember thinking the first time that Sutherland, well, is he really is he? Is he doing a dialect?
Speaker 6: Is he?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 1: I was just kind of fussing with like little things like is the dialect right, the emotional well spring he brings to the to the key scenes when his heart's breaking. I mean, it's like that guy was born for close ups, you know, And uh, that's it's really I think. I think the reason Sam uh and I haven't talked to Sam about this, but I would bet money that the reason Sam really went for this is he knew somehow that just by instinct that Joe Wright, I remember hearing this story, Joe Wright did something that was not completely novel, but it was somewhat unusual, and that he convened the entire cast for something like three weeks of rehearsal in a country house. They all lived together, ate together, drank together, rehearsed together, and so by the time they actually filmed on day one, it was pretty loose in the best way. And that's why the movie like it does.
Speaker 3: Is he amiable?
Speaker 6: Who is he handsome?
Speaker 3: Year?
Speaker 2: It would not matter if you had warps and DELI I will.
Speaker 6: Give my heart to consent to his marrying whichever the girls he chooses.
Speaker 5: Somebody come to the bolt, mar Papa, I.
Speaker 3: Believe about blood, and I'll say yes. Her character is meant to be overbearing, meant to be uncouth. People note that throughout the film, and I got then that that was intentional, but as you described it, I felt as if it was just pushing the comedic sensibility a bit too far. But what was clearer to me this time, Michael, is that before she even says it, that idea that it really is all about her sacrifice as a mother, and maybe this is just something that comes from maturity myself right in being a parent myself. That line she does say would you have five daughters, Lizzie, tell me what else will occupy your thoughts, and then perhaps you will understand when Lizzie calls her out for seeming to only think about marriage. I just keyed in earlier to the notion this time, Michael, that with missus Bennett, it's always coming from a place of love and a place of fear, basically the condition of being comparent. She's not overally greedy, she's not overly entitled, she's not overly concerned with public perception. She is just worried about her family. And as I said, that was clearer to me on this viewing with Knightley the thing that hung me up last time, and I feel a little bit silly about it now having rewatched the film, I noted that she seemed to have this kind of go to move. It suggested to me that she didn't have the depth at the time to play this character, and that I sometimes felt like she was in fact playing a character. Playing at the character of Elizabeth Bennett. She would recurringly whenever she was delighted. Whenever Elizabeth was delighted about something, and she was often delighted, especially early in the film, she would do this thing where she would thrust her tongue up against her teeth. She'd give you this toothy grin, and you would see her tongue touch the back of her teeth. And I just felt like, is that what she thinks? Delightedness? Looks like, why does she keep doing that? And I watched it this time, and at first I got nervous, Michael, because we're five minutes in and I saw it, And then we're eight minutes in and I saw it again. And then we're like fifteen minutes in and I saw it again, and you know what, I just didn't see it again after that moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's just all part of I'm just guessing that Joe Wright's priority was just to let these people go a little bit, let the actors kind of go big, and then we'll kind of calm it down later. But I think he just really wanted to kind of create this kind of ferment, even if it was a bit of squirrely, somewhat overripe acting touches here and there. And I think, you know, I, I think all you have to do is look at what night Lea's up to two years later with atonement, Uh, and and that's and that's Joe Right too, and and those are his two best films. And I guess, I guess if there's if I have any sadness about revisiting this and seeing how good it is like Kenneth Branna as a director, and in a way, Joe Wright is nothing like Kenneth Branner. But the one thing they have in common is I wonder I fear that their best film was their first film. And I don't know, although Atonement's just just about as good, I think, and I've liked some of Wright's work since, But but I thought, I don't know, it might it might have just been that lucky moment where they got the right people, they had the right amount of time, and and Right working with that cinematographer Roman Ausin or Osin. I'm not I'm sorry. I apologize for the mispronunciation of I made it. I think that was a really a learning experience for Right. It would have been a learning experience for Right working on any first feature, working with any cinematographer. But I think for him he clearly learned and collaborated and really really used all the right information about how to how to you know, kind of keep the camera as a dancing partner, but not let it get too crazy. You know it too. It was too much. It always will be. This film will always be a little much for a lot of people, especially diehard Austin fans, who have certain adaptations in their head, and anything sort of outside those lines feels like it's wrong or out of character or out of period or something. And I admit I have a little bit of that feeling with the performances of the Jennifer e Lee Colin Firth version on television, because those are sterling. But I think just as cinema, there's no contest.
Speaker 3: You may not recall, but I think the first ever top ten films of the year show that you appeared on here on Film Spotting two thousand and seven. Atonement was my number two film of that year, and I never would have imagined, based on how much I love that film, though I haven't seen it in many years, how much I love that film, that I could revisit this film, and even if I did change my mind, as I've changed my mind, I never would have thought I'd sit here and say that you might be right, that pride and prejudice might actually be Joe Wright's best film. I do feel that way now after seeing it, even though I would definitely watch Atonement again before I would fully declare that I do want to go back to Nightly real quick and just say not only did I no longer see her employing that same tactic after the first fifteen or twenty minutes of the film, I just appreciated the fearlessness with which she tackled this character, the way, as I said, she holds her own in scenes against an actress like Dench. I think the way she matches the grace of Sutherland. She certainly doesn't back down a ninch at all from mcfaddyen and what right does And this is I'm sure in the screenplay too, but Writes choices the way he builds that character and really gets us as viewers to attach to her. It's little moments that are little moments but are nevertheless inspired, Like that shot when she's with her relatives, I believe, when she's traveling and they end up by accident almost at Pemberley and she sees Pemberley for the first time and I and if I'm remembering the sequence correctly, we see it in a very long shot and we've seen some glorious English countryside manners in this film already. But when we see Pemberley from a distance, we are mouths agape in awe of it, and we don't see her carriage pull up. We just see the shot of her standing up getting out of the carriage, and it's a close up and she just lets out this giggle, so just giggle at the pure audacity of this location in front of her. And again, I just think it's a wonderful, little but inspired touch that attaches us to that character and gets us really inside her head. And speaking of being inside her head, right has the good sense as well when she gets lost in Pemberley amidst all the art in the statues, even before she sees the statue of him and is drawn to that, or her attention is drawn to that. She's just lost in the art and it feels for a second like she's the only person in the world there in that scene, which again just really brings us into her mindset. And I want to go back to some of those flourishes that really do set up something like the Dunkirk scene. They're not on that level, they're not drawing attention to themselves on that level. The Dunkirk sequence in Atonement that incredible, long take.
Speaker 1: But incredible, but that does well wear well anyway.
Speaker 3: I swoon forward at the time, I'll at least say incredible at minimum. Hopefully we can agree from a technical standpoint. From a technical standpoint, it's a it's a marble, but those ostentatious moments and the way he prudently employs them, Michael having everyone at the ball, this is a very naturalistic film otherwise, and yet we get a moment when they dance, they finally dance together, and everyone at the ball disappears, as if Elizabeth, Bennett and Darcy are the only inhabitants of this space sharing this moment together.
Speaker 1: He does something it's the West Side Story moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he does something similar. That's a good point. He does something similar though, where he suspends time and place with her on the swing. That sequence on the swing where I believe there's even a line right before it where someone says something to her about being or she may say it, something about being crossed in love. And then she sits down on this swing and she's a little forlorn, and she's she's deep in her thought. There's a lot of conflict inside her, and she starts getting crossed up in the swing as she twirls on it, and then the world sort of just passes by for a bit. Michael, it's not entirely clear. Is she on that swing for five minutes? Is she there for five days? Have five weeks passed? And that happens, I think too, as I mentioned amongst the artwork at Pemberley. But the other great example of that is after the proposal and after that fight with mister Darcy, when she goes and stares at herself in the mirror, and she stands there from daylight into nighttime, and he appears to her at some point. With the letter and the Waywright showcases her in that scene, and her stillness, and the fact that we have seen this trick, if you will, employed before, in terms of time and space, you almost wonder, or I did, on this viewing, is this even really happening? Is he there or is she imagining this? And how long has she been standing there? It all just reflects how unsettled she is mentally in that moment, how undone she is by all of this. And you noted this earlier. I think as bold as those choices are, none of it calls undue attention to itself. It all seems perfectly functional organically within those scenes and for the characters. It's in support of the characters and their wants and desires and and shows us or or allows us access to deeper access to their their states of mind at the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think you do. He's got a good instinct and the actors certainly sees the day when he's got he's got a good instinct for for making sure that it's not all on that sort of bright presentational level. We have to we have to feel that there are real feelings here or otherwise all every everything falls apart. Yeah, and so in that regard, you know, anybody who touches Jane Austen on film has to has to acknowledge that and figure out a way to fold it into the style and all the rest of it. And otherwise it's just a bunch of theatrics, really, And you know, when you look ahead to another Cure Knightlyy Joe Wright collaboration, the Ana Karren and adaptation, I mean, that's that's frankly, completely utterly kind of theatrical and really just a theatrical deconstruction of the novel, and even it's almost playing with the idea of just adaptation in general. And I found that film fairly interesting. I've never gone back to it, so it's you know, and I think I've seen an awful lot of theater work that did the same thing with other very famous novels that presume a certain familiarity, so they can kind of start jacking with the narrative a lot, and sometimes that can be really bracing and kind of alive. That was like, okay, I thought, but this, I do think that you get a rapidly maturing director at who start, you know, with those first two films with Pride and Prejudice, and then Atoman, who just really knew how to put his technique to a more refined, more and more refined and judicious purpose without drying it out. I mean, I mean this, this came out, This film came out the same year that Roman Polanski adapted Oliver Twist, and that film is just dead on a rival, and I mean very uncharacteristic for Polanski, which is like it literally looks like, you know, his mission was like I just need to direct this as if nobody directed it or even had ever seen a film. You know, it's like perfectly, perfectly respectable bore and that is not this film. And thank god. Yeah, I will say that there's one line that to me captures the spirit you're talking about about, just kind of the feeling of it, the spontaneity of it, the naturalism. It's not entirely naturalistic, but largely there's that moment at the you know, near the end, when mister Collins list he would be suitor tells mister Bennett that he likes to affect quote as unstudied an air as possible. And I love that line because that's exactly why this movie works. It has that unstudied air which only comes from a lot of careful planning, a lot of rehearsal. And maybe it did. Maybe what did The trick is putting all these people together in a nice house together and letting them rehearse and eat meals and you know, drank wine and all the rest of it. And man, it just feels like the party. They just kept the party going and said action.
Speaker 3: You know, yeah, No, I think that's that's an astute point. And I want to close by acknowledging. Yeah, you know what, the hand flex, the yearning of the hand flex, it got me. You know what else got me this time? Michael, That Darcy approach coming out of the midst the fog that morning when they meet at dawn, that worked. I love love love you with the sun shining, just beaming and between them as they finally embrace. All of the romance of this film did hit me this time, and maybe the most emotional part. And we've talked a little bit about Sutherland. I really think we get near the end of this film one of the all time great father daughter exchanges on screen. Ever, when she says when she Lizzie says that yes she does love mister Darcy, and we get Sutherland's tears there where you know that he is just so happy. He is rejoicing because this special girl, his special girl, has found happiness.
Speaker 6: I cannot believe that anyone can deserve you. It seems I am over ruled, so I hotily give my consent. I could not have parted with you, mind ISSI do anyone less worthy.
Speaker 3: It absolutely did level me this time. I don't know what was wrong with me. I'll say it for the last time back in five. Pride and Prejudice is a wonderful film, and I'm so glad that it is coming back to theaters for its twentieth anniversary. April twentieth, Michael is the date where it's going to be back on some screens. Focused Features is re releasing the film. Tickets are on sale now, so if you need to revisit it or you need to see it for the first time, seeing it on the big screen would be a great way to do that, Or you can check it out via Netflix, also widely available vod If you agree or disagree with any of our takes, we'd love to hear from you feedback at filmspotting dot net. Listening, of course, Michael is the number one thing someone can do to support an independently produced show like ours. A couple more things you can do. Take a minute to give us a rating or a review on Apple Podcasts or Spotify. Whether you're a first time listener or you've been listening lo these twenty years, every new review helps us reach new listeners. Another way you could support us is to join the film Spotting Family at film spottingfamily dot com. We have family members from all over the world, Michael, including Melbourne, Australia. Shane Adam is out there and is a family member. His letterbox handle, if you're interested in following him, is Shane Adam. One word though, that's Shane with a why. I just want to say I read this earlier today, Michael. I don't pick these. I do not pick these. Sam does, and maybe he thought I needed a little bit of a pick me up because I recognize how delusional I was twenty years ago as a co host of this show. I must have started listening just post cinecast days, I reckon. I was looking for a film podcast to keep me saying on my long car journeys as a Masls esque traveling salesman of sorts, and found it in Film Spot. What hooked me and my wife were the marathons. There were a few film podcasts tackling new films, but only one that was boldly going where no other podcasts had gone before nineteen seventies sci Fi. Yes, that was an early marathon, A favorite reviewer segment. So here we go. Well, there was that time I had the guy's review sallow for me. But I'm going with Fargo. Adam's insights into that film changed the way I appreciate the Cones, although I was already a huge fan and cinema in general. Specifically, his deconstruction of the scene were Marge Gunderson blatantly but convincingly is lied to by Mike Yanagita, which leads to the requestioning of Jerry Underguard and the unraveling of the entire plot, which seemingly was a disposable scene with another wacky Cone character to laugh at, was in fact the crux of the film. That moment she realizes she was lied to, her whole mindset changed, and Adam pointing that out so eloquently on the pod kind of changed mine. Look at the work.
Speaker 1: We're going all right, all right.
Speaker 3: Occasionally I get one right, I can.
Speaker 1: Get oh hey, there's no right or wrong in this business, you know, there's just Stummer and Smarter.
Speaker 3: A review speaking of that, a review we got wrong. There are a lot of parentheticals here. So I've got to try to do this justice because Shane's giving us some good comedy. I'm admittedly in camp Adam sorry, Josh, so it would be easy for me to point out what Josh, sorry, Josh got horribly, horribly wrong. I'm really sorry, Josh, but honestly, they would be all easy shots Crystal Skull, Phantom Menace, et cetera. And I give him kudos for defending his position on all of these so fervently and well courageously.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, Josh, so I'll pick on Adam for a second. He was a tad harsh on Don't Worry Darling and the Northman. I guess maybe one of those, Maybe one of those, I was a tad harsh I'm not going to apologize for Don't Worry Darling the Letterbox. Top four from Shane is Glengarry, Glenn Ross, The Godfather, Seven, Samurai, and Back to the Future. Not bad. Shane a random list film or filmmaker he loves see. This is where he truly is Team Adam Locke. I'm a sucker for low budget, beautifully acted and perfectly written one location films. What else can I say? A movie he credits with becoming a cinophile man bites Dog. Having an older brother certainly helped speed up my cinematic learnings. I should probably credit all the Hong Kong martial arts films we watch or Eraserhead, which he may have shown me slightly earlier than this, or even Halloween, which he showed me when I was a lot younger than I was when this came out in nineteen ninety two. I won't explain the movie for those who haven't seen it, safe to say it's French shot cinema verite style is about a serial killer and is a comedy. To say I didn't know films like this existed at age fifteen is an understatement. Finally, a book about movies or movie making, He Loves the Kid Stays in the Picture by Robert Evans. There are undoubtedly more educational books on cinema, but he says few more entertaining.
Speaker 1: Michael, I agree, I agree, Yeah, good word, Thank aye. All the truth comes from down under.
Speaker 3: I mean, let's go absolutely. Thank you Shane for joining the family and for all those years of listening. In addition to keeping us doing what we're doing, your support comes with perks. You get to listen early and ad free. You get our weekly newsletter, you get exclusive opportunities like being part of the film Spotting Family Discord, you get monthly bonus shows, you get to participate in trivia Spotting, and if you're so lucky, to be very good at film Spotting Madness. You get a chance to be part of our April bonus show where we will do a draft. The winner of Film Spotting Madness gets to decide the topic. You can learn more at film spottingfamily dot com. It may throw the Ephis pitch is a type of curveball so unnaturally slow that it confuses the batter, makes it.
Speaker 1: Lose track of time. It's kind of like baseball. I'm looking around for something to happen paint.
Speaker 3: That's from the trailer for Ephus, a low budget baseball movie currently playing in limited release. It's set in early nineties New England, and it's about the last game to be played on a cherish field before it's demolition. I do know, Michael, that you're not a huge sports guy. But to paraphrase a line from Brad Pitt and Moneyball, can you really not be romantic about baseball or at least about baseball movies? And what was your reaction to efus?
Speaker 1: I like that, and I resent the implication that I'm not a huge sports guy. I'm not a huge sports guy, but but I don't but to be called out as not a huge sports guy is a little harsh to hear, but no, you know what I actually love. I love minor league ball. I love I've seen a lot of minor league ball in the Midwest, and I do think the baseball movie genre is unusually rich. I think I may be the best sport for like very good or even great sports movies. I you know, so I know, and I enjoyed Ephie. It's a hell of a good first film from Carson Lund, and I love that he and his co writer really didn't force a single conventional plot element onto what is a daringly plot free reverie about a bunch of middle age guys just you know, trying to make the best of their last game of not just the season, but in that particular physical space where the middle school for this small town. I think it's supposed to be in Massachusetts, and in fact it was in Massachusetts, because I think that's where the real Soldier Field I'm sorry, Soldier's apostrophe, Yes field is and they call it out by name. I think that's where it is, and it I just love that it's it's both a goodbye to a season but also to kind of this this tradition, this physical place and and what I also love is that in interviews Carson Lund has said, I've wanted to make my version of Goodbye Dragon in the Taiwanese film that I'll be mentioning later in the show, in fact, under a different you know, meteorological context, but the but you know, I love that. That was his that was his guy post. It was like, Okay, this is I want to make a film. It's saying goodbye to something meaningful and all any sort of marginalized in the culture a little bit, so I know, I enjoyed it. It's also got the kind of a peculiar visual wit in that it is all this sort of minutia being sort of discussed under the breath of all these guys and just sort of like the smallest of small talk. A lot of it very funny, but none of it stressed or kind of leading anywhere hugely dramatic or any of it. And yet it is this wide screen sort of epic treatment. If you see it in the theater, it's a you know, it's it's kind of beautifully was composed in this wide screen format, and it's the it's the smallest movie with with kind of the least fraud and thesis driven dialogue given sort of this epic VistaVision sort of treatment. So I don't know, I can't wait to see what this guy does next. It's it's you know, you don't want to. I don't want to overpraise the movie. It's it is the size it is, it's playing in the league it is, but it's playing it well.
Speaker 3: I said a couple of things there that make cleared this movie should be up for Golden Brick consideration this year, not only the praise you gave it, but it is Carson LUN's first film, and I can't wait to see what he does next, which is usually one of those tests we apply to the Golden Brick. And I referenced the Moneyball line earlier. This is one of those films that really isn't overly romantic, overly romantic about baseball. And I like what you said in relation to Goodbye Dragging In meaningful, Yes, but meaningful you added the marginalized part. It's all about the fact that it is really meaningful, but only to a select few, and to most of the world outside of those few, it doesn't seem to matter at all, which is what gives it its heft, actually, which is what makes it even more profound to those people who care about it and thinking about the golden brick. We're talking usually about ambition in a first film or second film, and really showing incredible vision to hear us talk about this low budget baseball movie that almost could be like a play. It could be on a stage if not for the fact that you would miss you would miss the details that you need, the baseball details of the diamond and the park and the atmosphere. I grant you that, But at times it feels like a play. How inventive and how risky can this film really be? It's kind of the slice of life. It's very low stakes drama. It's almost a real time baseball game that we're watching play out. Yeah, but every baseball movie asks us to believe the game is a metaphor for life. Lund isn't asking. He's not asking. I actually think what's so distinct and daring about his approach is that he has no interest in trying to sneak a curveball bias. He's like, make no mistake or sneak the ethis pitch bias. Right where the film it states the thesis. It tells you why it's called Ethus right about halfway through, and it, like the film as a whole, is a metaphor for life. The later and darker it gets, the more the sun is truly setting on these characters literally and figuratively, the more almost surreal it becomes. Michael, the Field takes on this sense of a spiritual limbo. And I don't know if I was entertained by Eva's I certainly was fascinated by vas.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's well, it's a rhythm, that is. It takes an internal adjustment, you know, just like any I mean, just like most of what Robert Allman made Good and Less Good does not really behave like a typical narrative feature. It's just not where his interests lie. I think I like a film like Field of Dreams. If I I don't love it because it's the piety of it makes me a little makes me irp a little bit, you know, occasionally. But I also like the experience I had at the music Box seeing that with four hundred people a few years ago, a good print, and we did a discussion afterwards, and it was it was wonderful to just feel it working with the audience all over again. But there are baseball films that have kind of that sort of secremonious approach a little bit. The tone is just a little it's it's so it's so metaphor driven and all the rest of it. I mean, they didn't even get the film version of The Natural, right, that's a good novel and a tough minded, pretty hard nosed novel, and that that's just a big piece of cheese. I think it's good looking, good looking, and I loved I could have hung out with Richard Farnsworth and Wilford Grimley in the Dugout. In fact, that's the movie that should have been made. They should have called it The Natural and not cast Redford, but simply just redirect the narrative to those guys and then they you know, that's that's the Ephis effect, you know what I mean, That's that's why Ephis works as the way it does, because it has that sort of just you know, off center conversation going on here in the less important part of baseball mythology.
Speaker 3: I was so immersed in the mythology of baseball, and it was the only sport I ever played in, the only sport when I was very young. I was any good at it all, Michael. I was so immersed in that that when I saw the Natural and I saw that ending, the bomb, bast of that ending. I remember finding out later when I, you know, I was trying to be a little edgier and artistic and becoming a pseudo intellectual. I heard about the mallow Mood story it's based on, and how it's grittier and it's it's more real, and it's what the movie should have been, and I just refused to accept that. And I'm still at this age of refusing. I didn't end up reading it too, And I still want to watch that ball sail into the lights and the sparks rain down on Robert Redford as he runs around the bases. As he trots along, Michael, I can't help it. Yeah, I'm a sucker. I like cheese, is what.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm saying, Well, we should we should probably go.
Speaker 3: I think I agree we have that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we do, we do, we do, we do. And there's plenty of others I love. I mean, I really love Moneyball. I really love movies like Sugar. I love Bingo Along. I mean, I love that the music poks here in Chicago recently did a baseball series called Playball, and they had a lot of the hits, but a lot of films that weren't you know, we weren't in the circulation and sort of in the same kind of people don't have the same reverence for it. So yeah, you know, it's a great you know, I love it, and I do love minor league ball. You know, have you seen the Joliet Jack.
Speaker 3: Amberon's by the way, I've never been to a game. No, oh, well worth the Trep.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, okay. For first of all, you can take a train down there, Amtrik. Yeah that's Chicago. Yeah yeah, and you get off at the station and you walk about ten feet into the ball field. Okay, Yeah, it's great. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Ethis currently out in limited release, distributed by Music Box Films. It is a Golden Brick nominee officially now. If you'd like to learn more about our Golden Brick Awards, see a few other candidates, at least one other so far this year and past nominees and winners. You can go to filmspotting dot net slash bricks next week here on film Spotting. Some content is still up in the air We do, though, plan to kick off our first marathon of twenty twenty five and maybe our only marathon of twenty twenty five. It may just take all the life out of us, but it's gonna be worth it. We're finally going to cross off all the blind spots for one of the all time legendary filmmakers, and we're going to become Andre Tarkovsky completest excellent. That is going to eat like a media definitely only seven features in his filmography, slightly more imposing, certainly from a reputation standpoint. We have five movies in the marathon, which we will do over four shows. A couple of them I've already seen, a couple of Josh has seen. By the end of it, we will have seen them all. We're starting with a double feature, nineteen sixty one's The Steamroller and the Violin. That's his student film. It's a little on the shorter side, so we're pairing that.
Speaker 1: Haven't seen it, haven't seen it?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Really, it's on Criterion Channel, as is nineteen sixty two's Ivan's Childhood. They're also available vod or, at least Ivan's Childhood is, so we're pairing those together. For next week if you'd like to learn more about that marathon and the other films that are part of the lineup filmspotting dot net slash marathons. We also wanted to acknowledge the anniversary of a Chicago cinema institution, Facets Film Forum, turns fifty this year, Michael, and to celebrate, they've got a couple of special series going on Chicago on screen, including Work in Progress with Lili Wachowski, a discussion about Wachowski's Showtime series set and shot in Chicago, and another series called five Films, Five Decades, Five Critics coming up this Sunday. You can see Werner Herzog'sagira The Wrath of God at Facets. Belatar's Damnation with Jonathan Rosenbaum that's coming up in May. Other films to be announced. You can learn more at facets dot org. Any kind words you would like to share for Facets Michael, My.
Speaker 1: God, I mean that was, you know, the first time I saw that first FACETS catalog back in the nineteen eighties and early eighties at the college paper in Minnesota, and people already knew that the film. People at the college paper who were older than me you know, like, you know, you got to look at this thing and it was just like you know, you just couldn't believe. Back in the day where you could not get films, a lot of thousands and thousands of films from the rest of the world, and half of the stuff I didn't know anything about came straight out of the America, whether it was earlier, you know, along in cinema history and whatever. It just meant everything. The mail order facets thing, just to send away for these things and ship them. It was marvelous, and I'm glad to see it's still around and remaking itself in many ways. But I have to say it felt like a an incredibly bittersweet privilege to write a couple of pieces on milosch Stalek, one just before he died and one after just about the influence and sort of his place in Chicago exhibition history, which is huge. So yeah, I'm glad. I'm glad they fifty years Manny, any organization like that, in any realm of the arts and cinema, hats off to figuring out a way to try to get to the point where you can say on to the next fifty.
Speaker 3: We would also like to give a plug to the Next Picture Show. Looking at Cinema's present via It's past. Our friends there, Scott Tobias, Genevieve Koski, Tasha Robinson, and Keith Phipps. They have part two of their Mister and Missus mystery pairing. So, Michael, they've taken Steven Soderberg's Black Bag and they're juxtaposing it with nineteen thirty four Is the Thin Man with William Powell and Myrna Loy seems like it inspired pairing, though I'll say it again, I still somehow have not been able to catch up with a black Bag, which Josh and Roxanna Hadadi both we're so favorable on a few weeks back on this show. I can't wait to finally see it. I can't wait to then listen to The Next Picture Show. New episodes drop every Tuesday wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: This lasting, This is madness, This is absolute madness.
Speaker 3: This is madness, madness, madness.
Speaker 1: But this is absolute madness.
Speaker 6: I'm Massis, why should you build such a thing mad news?
Speaker 3: That is hot off, Michael. This time of year, early April, we're getting to the climax of film spotting madness Josh is off at Ebert interrupt us in Boulder. You're usually here sitting in his spot, and that means I have to bore you with the inanity of our annual bracket style movie elimination tournament. But look at it this way. At least we're down to eight films right over. Well, don't you much?
Speaker 1: Don't feel body? You know it's okay. I'll never get fully in the spirit of this cockamnything, but I'm willing to give it a look. I already have my picks.
Speaker 3: Okay, sixty movies, only one will survive. We are doing the best films of the twenty first century so far, so if it was released between two thousand and twenty twenty four, it was eligible. We've got the Sweet sixteen results in the Elite eight matchups. Those Lead eight polls are open right now. If you're listening to this, you can go to Film spotting dot net slash madness and participate the Sweet sixteen. The eight matchups, Michael were decided pretty early and pretty decisively. There were no blowouts, but there were also no upsets. In fact, our Elite eight are the Elite eight. They're the eight films that the selection committee, myself and Sam. It turns out seeded as the eight films we thought would be left standing at this point, and it has turned out that way. So from the largest to smallest margin, we will tell you those. We had David Fincher's Zodiac up against George Miller's Mad Max Fury Road, and Fury Road took it sixty six percent, Zodiac thirty four percent.
Speaker 1: Okay, incorrect result, Go ahead?
Speaker 3: Really okay? I like it. I like it. Wes Anderson's The Royal Tenembombs up against the higher seeded, the number one seeded. There will be blood from Paul Thomas Anderson, and there was blood sixty five percent for the PTA film, taking down the Wes Anderson film with only thirty five. What about this one? Are you on board?
Speaker 1: Sensible result? Yeah? Sensible.
Speaker 3: Hyomiyazaki spirited away up against the higher seeded Coen Brothers No Country for Old Men, No Country, taking it sixty three percent to thirty seven percent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, clearly a cleric lerror, Yeah, mistake.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're not as high as that film as me and others. We've talked about it here on the show. Alfonso Koran's Children of Men up against the I believe number four seeded overall Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind from Michelle Gondry, and Eternal Sunshine moves on to the Elite eight, winning sixty one percent to thirty nine percent.
Speaker 1: I'm okay with that. I'm okay with that.
Speaker 3: I'm glad to hear that. With Wes Anderson's the Grand Budapest Hotel, will Wes Anderson be knocked out of the tournament officially up against David Lynch's Mulholland Drive, Yeah, goodbye, Wes. Mulholland Drive advances sixty percent to forty percent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not you know, I keep thinking, what is it better? Parallel? You can't. You can't use apples and oranges. It's like apples and one of the rings of Saturn. You know, they don't make any sense at all now. But yeah, small Holland over Budapeste.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well that's why we call it madness. Michael Jordan Peel's Get Out against one car Wise in the mood for Love and in the Mood for Love wins a little closer, but in the mood for Love wins fifty eight percent to forty two percent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Ballo way ball away.
Speaker 3: The Cinderella, the tournament cinder Ava, as I was calling her, Alex Garland's ex Machina up against David Fincher's the Social Network Zodiac's already gone. Will Fincher be out of the tournament? No, he will not, because the Social Network advances fifty six percent to forty four percent.
Speaker 1: Yep, all the way, all the way.
Speaker 3: What about this one? Michael Peter Jackson in our last Sweet sixteen matchup, his Fellowship of the Ring versus the Best Picture winning Parasite from Bong June Ho, the closest one we had, but not that close. Parasite fifty five percent takes it over Fellowship of the Rings forty five percent.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, you can sleep at night with that one. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Complete Sweet sixteen results are available over at film spotting dot net slash Madness, and that is, as I mentioned, where you can vote in the Elite eight. There's only four of them, so we can be pretty quick about it. We're going to take them one by one. That means it is there will be blood versus the Social Network. You've got to be going. There will be blood, yes, Michael.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah right, yeah, yeah yeah. And I wouldn't. Yeah, I wouldn't say. I mean, this is this is why I'm leaving. That's it. I don't like this. I don't like these decisions.
Speaker 3: Isn't tough? Is that a tough one for you?
Speaker 1: No? Not really. But I do think Fincher, who I've completely lost interest in as a filmmaker, the two films I still really really revera is are Zodiac and The Social Network.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I can see that, and that's it, and that's it.
Speaker 3: That's it. Okay, Well, I'm higher on Fincher than you, but I don't think he's going to stand much of a chance up against Daniel Plainview and company. Mad Max Fury Road versus No Country for Old Men. I, of course am going No Country, but you are not.
Speaker 1: I would go Fury Road of those two because I want to be correct.
Speaker 3: Yes, we'll Holland Drive versus in the Mood for Love. Why do I have to pick between Lynch and Wankar.
Speaker 1: WHI that's one of the closest I mean that is yeah, I don't know, what do you think?
Speaker 3: Here's the way I'm looking at it. If I go back to the last twenty five years, think about who probably my three favorite filmmakers are They're Paul Thomas Anderson, the Coen Brothers, and I was going to say David Lynch, though now the math is getting me because I have to go back into the eighties and nineties to really reflect on how much I love Lynch. But my three favorite filmmakers forget of the past twenty five years, just in general, Pta, the Coen Brothers, and David Lynch, somulhalland Drive for Me over in the mood for love.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, I think I like the line from the musical seventeen seventy six, is I abstain courteously.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure that's allowed in Film Spotting Madness, but Michael, you can do it. We'll see if you will take the fifth on this one eternal sunshine of the spotless mind versus parasites. So we've got the runner up for Film Spotting Madness Best of the two thousands of the decade the early two thousands versus the winner of Film Spotting Madness of the twenty tens. Do you have a clear favorite here?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Just by a whisker parasite.
Speaker 3: Okay, I think I'm going just slightly the other way and it's just because I want to be true to my gen X brethren. I suppose I can't help but go with a film that's just lingered in my mind for so much longer, Michael. It's part of my life for so much longer, and that's probably not the right way to approach it, but I can't help it.
Speaker 1: I'm overdue to see that one again too, and I'm eager to revisit that one Internal Sunshine. So you know, I'll call you late at night sometime and leave a message and say I was all wrong.
Speaker 3: We did that a few years ago for whatever anniversary it was, and absolutely held up. I think I liked it even more than I did originally, which was quite a bit. Those are our Madness Elite eight, only four matchups. You can vote now one more time, Filmspotting, dot Nets, Slash Madness. The polls will close at five pm Central Time sharp on Tuesday, April fifteenth, so you have until April fifteenth at five to get those picks in. Those of you who submitted brackets and our bracket contest, this is a barn burner of a competition so far, Michael, with great prizes including a limited edition film Spotting Fest poster signed by Coganata and Ryan Johnson. Eight hundred and twenty five people filled out brackets and at the top of the leader board for the second week in a row, the guy who won last year, Michael looks like he's on the verge of winning it again. His name's Ricky Kendall. My god, he's in the UK. He titled his bracket uneasy lies the head that wears the crown. Apparently no, it sits quite easy upon his head.
Speaker 1: Because second season of the Crown for this guy.
Speaker 3: He might be the champ once again. Number two for the second week in a row, our friend family member Ross Bratton. He got seven out of eight right in this last round. He did have Zodiac advancing over mad Max. That could prove to be a problem moving forward. We will see tied for second someone we saw along with Ross at Film Spotting Fest, Carl Bjorkman. We have an internal competition, Michael, between myself, Josh Sam and the film Spotting Madness godfather, the originator of the idea, Mike Merrigan in Dover, New Hampshire. Josh has dropped to fourth place, and this is one of those competitions where really there's no prize for winning, there's only punishment for losing. So just don't want to finish fourth, which I've been in up until now. Josh is now in fourth. He got seven of eight right though in this round, but he's tied for seventy second. He's down from fifty fifth. He did have get out advancing to the elite eate, So tough one.
Speaker 1: There, Josh. Josh is tied to the dow. It looks like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, about about that. Sam, producer Sam was in fourth place over all out of eight hundred and twenty five. He's now dropped to tide for forty ninth. He only got six out of eight right. He thought get out would prevail. He also thought fellowship would prevail over parasite. So look what's happened here, Michael. I'm up to second place. I'm up from ninety seventh to thirty fourth. I got all eight right. But you know who else got all eight right in this round, Mike Merrigan, and he now is tied for fourth overall in the tournament. Mike always does well, Yes, in this competition.
Speaker 1: They're making him nervous though.
Speaker 3: It's maybe we'll see, we'll see how it goes. It should be noted that that Parasite Eternal Sunshine matchup really could be the decider here because Mike, Josh and I all have parasite advancing. Sam has Eternal Sunshine. Hmmmm, He's the only one. He's the only one, and I have I think I have looked, Michael, I have taken a gander early on in the voting. At this moment, as you and I are recording, the vote is separated by only four votes. That's how close it is. It's gonna it's gonna come down to the wire.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think Sam's gonna I think Sam's gonna advance here, you.
Speaker 3: Do, yeah, giving it to Eternal Sunshine.
Speaker 1: I think so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that could happen once again. Everything film Spotting Madness is available at film spotting dot net slash Madness.
Speaker 2: Sing in the Rain, Yes, sing in the Rain, What a glorious feed.
Speaker 3: I'm we come into our top five rain scenes. Yes, inspired by mister Darcy's reluctant rainy day proposal to Elizabeth Bennett in Pride and Prejudice with some singing in the rain. What else now, Michael, You've been coming on the show for almost twenty years. I'm sure I don't need to remind you that there are some titles that are ineligible for top five consideration. Those are the movies that are in the film spotting pantheon. And Singing in the Rain was just inducted bad timing for Gene Kelly and Donald O'Connor and Debu Rent can't make the top five. It's in the pantheon. Now it hurts, Yeah.
Speaker 1: It hurts. It hurts. But I'm a rule follower. I like the rule of watch sounpopular right now we're gonna stick.
Speaker 3: But yeah, a couple other titles that are ineligible then because they are in the film spotting pantheon, with Singing in the Rain some memorable scenes when we played a bit of last week on the show paying tribute to Gene Hackman, Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven pother Ponchalie, a film we saw at Film Spotting fest wangkar Wise in the Mood for Love, advancing to the Elite eight in Film Spotting Madness, and also a movie that should be up for consideration in any list of the top five rain scenes, but not ours. And another movie that's in the film spotting pantheon that I didn't consider. And this sets up another category. I excluded Michael Glengarry Glenn Ross, and that's because it's a movie. Sam reminded me of this line. I knew this movie was a good example of what I'm going to describe, but I certainly didn't consider this film. The line Sam noted is Eric Draven Brandon Lee saying in The Crow, it can't rain all the time. There's some movies where it just seems to rain all the time. Glenn Garry's one of those films. A couple others, and we'll see maybe these ended up making your list, or one of them did. But a couple of Kurosawa films like Raschoman seven Samurai certainly, but it's raining all the time. It's raining all the time in Blade Runner. Even though it's hard to overlook a moment like Rucker Howard's tears in rain speech is one of my favorite moments, one of my favorite speeches in all of movies. David Fincher's seven Yeah Full of Rain, bon Juno's Memories of Murder seems to be NonStop rain. So I left out movies where it just seems like it's raining all the time.
Speaker 1: So you don't like like Blade Runner, which is a rain scene. I mean it's like the whole movie is a rain station. Yeah, the whole.
Speaker 3: Movie is a rain scene. So that's I tried to go with examples where it really felt like the filmmakers were using rain in an interesting way, something maybe different than what we're used to seeing in movies, and something that we're used to seeing in other movies, and something that we're seeing differently within their own movie.
Speaker 1: I'll give you a film that I've had a substantial about face on over the last well most of my life. Okay, I saw a Blade Runner in eighty two. Right eighty two, I think, yeah, you know, I thought that, and I still don't love that Rutger Hower drivel. No, not crazy about it. I think the film is but but but but he's up there, you know, on every time I've seen it since, you know, I've seen it every few years or so. You know. It's also a very kind of a hilariously and decisive series of like, no, this is this is the fault, the final cut. No, no, this one's really the final But every time the visual kind of wonder of it, the real the real brilliance of the design work carries me over my feelings about story limitations or whatever. So yeah, all right, I may have a little bit of call on that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, at some point we're going to have to devote an entire show the next time you appear, maybe, Michael, to just our top five movie disagreements. Tears of Rain's going to be on the list. No Country for Old Men's going to be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, there.
Speaker 3: Are a few of them. For all that we seem to share when it comes to cinema, there are some things we are definitely not on the same page on. But let's talk about some great rain scenes. Did you have any special criteria here that you applied other than you know, it's raining, and what's your number five?
Speaker 1: Okay? I started with like, well, I make sure that some of it's like legitimate, real rain and it's not all studio stuff. And after a while I thought, really, the hell with that? And and you know, rain is rain, fakery is fakery, and the trial a la, you know. So then that's my highly scientific reasoning for picking what I picked. But and then final I found out did not quite make my list. Saw not the whole film, but I saw the key ten twelve minutes again The Freaking's Sorcerer from nineteen seventy seven. Very rainy, also not real. I thought, I wasn't sure. It looked like kind of legitimate, you know, sort of tropical rainstorm weather there, and that is well faked, convincingly fraudulent rain going on. They couldn't they couldn't even film in the country they wanted to because the rains the rainy season was so dry the river itself looked wrong, so they had to move it all to Mexico. I mean, that scene alone costs something like three million to film. Took a month to film that scene, and I mean straight, and it's a strange suspense sequence. And of course the rain makes it, you know, this stunningly expensive, convincing looking rain makes it all all the clammier and more memorable. But anyway, it didn't quite make it so but fake rain in a real setting, So you know whatever, You know all that, But my number five, you want to hear it?
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 1: It's good bye dragging in. I mean, what's good enough for Carson? The lun is good enough for me? And that for those who have not seen it, this is the two thousand and three film from Malaysian born Taiwan East director Simon Lang, and it's set in woods one night, the last night in the temporary they say, closing of a movie theater in Taipei which has sort of turned into this low key cruising spot. And it's really just about a ticket taker, I mean to the degree it's about anything. It's very very light on plot, deliberately a ticket taker and a projectionists sort of routine on this last night while they show the nineteen sixty seven King who film the Wusha film dragging in you know who did a great work. And I just caught up with Nick Pinkerton, the critic and works at Metrograph. I believe now he is a very good video. I say on behalf of the Metrograph for the re release of Goodbye Dragon Him that's on YouTube. And just about how the closing of this theater, Yes it's yes, it's a metaphor for a lot of things, but it's really dealing with kind of how movie going is about two in some way they couldn't quite put their finger on in two thousand and three, really about to go through a serious sudden maybe slow and then sudden transformation it's also in Pinkerton's view, I like this. It's also just about urban social space and how people, you know, people's relationship to cities, and what is available and on offer for entertainment in cities, and how that's all kind of dissolving along with analog filmmaking around this time anyway, what we see is just you know, it's really just the last five minutes or so that I'm pointing to from my scene is, you know, what has to happen at this final screening. Well, the two employees we spend the time with, the rain buckets still have to be emptied. We got leaky roofs, so you know, we got leaky, leaky ceilings all over the place. We have you know, just a kind of as a ritual of hooky closing up, you know, in this sort of soggy situation, and we just spend the last you know, two and a half minutes I think outside the theater, a little curve in the road with the ticket taker who may or may not ever see the film projectionist. She's clearly sweet on again, walking home in the rain outside the theater, as the song with the lyric about Can't Let Go Can't Let Go plays on the soundtrack after the scene cuts the black, and to me, it's it's not as heavy as that makes it sound. The film is really kind of a if you want a US corollary just to the kind of this minimalist comic tone. It's Jim Jarmers probably in that. But I love the I love that use of the rain. It's not like a staggering, dramatic amount of rain. It's just a rain that kind of this is rain as bittersweet Farewell. That's kind that's kind of the message here. So that's my number five.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm gonna say it's a great choice, even though I'm going to have to confess something I was hoping I could get through this show without having to confess, which is that I've long regretted having not seen Goodbye Draggon In and our film spotting family members would know, Michael. It was one of only three or four movies on the Film Spotting Madness Best of the Quarter Century So Far shortlist that I hadn't seen, and that shortlist had like one hundred and ten films on It almost was able to fit it in before Madness began. Our family members will know that Sam brought it up on a bonus show. He thought he had to squeeze it in before madness began, and instantly went crazy for it. Gave it five out of five stars. It's called it a masterpiece. So I would love to say that I've seen it, but I am admitting that I haven't seen Goodbye Dragon In and now I want to see it even more.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't get the rhetorical change here. Didn't we learn at the beginning of this taping that all you need to say is I remember it well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm familiar with that. I've heard of the title.
Speaker 1: Okay, doesn't that count? The quote was I remember it well, Yes, I remember I remember. How about you? Let's hear the number five.
Speaker 3: My number five is a scene where the rain is decidedly not real. It stands out amongst my picks because it's an animated film. It stands out in another way too. The rain is unlike most of my choices, if not all of them. The rain is not an oppressive natural force, but it's a part of nature that seems to be adding a sense of serenity. The movie is my neighbor Totoro from Hoyomia Zaki. The scene is waiting for the cat Totoro coming up upon May and Setsuki as they wait for their father. It's a rain, Michael, where it's constant, but it's quiet, it's peaceful, it isn't tormenting at all. They have their umbrella and that's all they really need. They're fine otherwise in the rain and the umbrella and the rain allows for the great point of view reveal that we get where Setsuki kind of just peaks underneath her umbrella to see Toto's to see this furry creature appear next to them, and just kind of see we see the giant hairy leg before we see anything else. And I love how the rain is employed in the sound design, where it isn't just kind of that nice white noise like some people may go to sleep too at night, but it recurs in that the rain will fall down on Totoro's nose and we get that little plinking sound, and so that compels Satsuki to help this creature who obviously exists out in nature. She has such natural empathy and care and compassion that she gives Totoro an umbrella.
Speaker 7: Oh wait a minute, here, try this I just love something about this, this little man made device protecting them from nature, and this is something that this creature is now going to try to use.
Speaker 3: But then we get more great sound, the rain that is plinking down against the umbrella, and that gives Totoro the brilliant idea to stomp and make the rain crash down on top of them. It's just such a lovely scene.
Speaker 1: It is that is lovely, and the sound is so part of nature really in every one of his films, and that's a great pick. Yeah. Actually I have an umbrella for you, actually for my number four. Yeah, okay, or several. Actually my number four is Foreign Correspondent, the Hitchcock film from nineteen forty. I think every great film, not just Hitchcock's great films, has at least one and usually several not so secret collaborators that help make it grade. And with this Hitchcock film, I think it's one of his most sheerly enjoyable movies, especially in his early Hollywood period. This is the This is the right after he moved over from England and got a contract with Selznik and made Rebecca and the film won the Oscar for Best Picture of Rebecca, although Hitchcock did not even get nominated, I believe for a Best Director. But this is the second film. It's just a gas. I mean, I love Foreign Correspondent. It's it's not as well known as some, although it's I think it's got a pretty pretty good reputation. Is a great time. Have you seen that film Foreign Correspondent?
Speaker 3: Well, Michael, remember well, I have heard of it. I was hoping, you know, we could get through your top five with without more embarrassment, and yet here corresponds what I haven't seen.
Speaker 1: Check it out. I mean, it's it's it's kind of the greatest B plus movie he ever made. And this not so secret kind of ringer in the in the design team that I referred to is William Cameron Menzies, who are really, you know, a real giant of visual design and production design, special effects. You know, he's responsible for the Burning of Atlanta and Gone with the Wind. He directed Things to Come, you know, he's he's just a great Hollywood legend. And what he creates in this scene I Love for the Rain, among other things, is just kind of a great example of peak Hollywood back loot, avocation of another place with a slightly fanciful kind of air of fraudulents, which I love in Hollywood, you know, just like I referred to, you know, one of the charms that Cosablanca is backlot Morocco, my kind of place, you know. And here we have a scene where we have Joel McCrae playing the New York reporter Johnny Jones, who's chasing Nazis in Europe and there's a peace conference in Amsterdam and he's over there. He gets embroiled with that, and we have in this great establishing shot of of suddenly, okay, cut to Amsterdam, right, and it's a backlock crane shot up up up pivots about ninety one hundred degrees, covers a very lovely kind of city square in Amsterdam. Street cars working street cars is dozens and dozens of Dutch folk on bicycles in the rain, moving around many many cars. And then over there there's a huge crowd waiting to see these key political figures showing up for this peace conference, luting the Dutch diplomat named Van Mihir, and okay, he poses for a picture. Photographer comes up. He's got a gun. It's a very famous assassination sequence. I mean it's it's sort of this grand kind of like almost a peaceful kind of city scene. Oh that's very bustling and very crowded. And then there's this brief shot with a startling amount of blood in it where he is shot in the face for and you see it for two seconds, because that's all I think you could probably get away with Hitchcock. That is in nineteen forty and it's a major incident in the plot. But right for that, Joel McCrae shocked, stunned, he sees he's hey, he's got the gun, run get him. And the assassin hides underneath this sea of umbrellas held by the people in the crowd. So this is rain as a murderer's best friend. That's what this scene is. And there's a great it's just about a ten to fifteen second bit. I don't mean like comic bit, but it is sort of like a weirdly kind of just kind of like horrifyingly funny just to see that. You know that we see the umbrellas kind of jostle and move, but we see no people even holding them because they're being hidden by the umbrellas, as is the Murderer, and it's just a great it's a great combination of production designed by Menzies, you know, a wonderful kind of you know shot designed by Hitchcock. And it's a six minute scene, that's all it is. And they took the usual amount of big budget for the time, you know, it kind of a budget, major studio care in getting the look right for you know, a fake version of Amsterdam with a lot of wonderful fake rain and it's just a I love the film anyway, so check it. Check it out.
Speaker 3: Good scene, I definitely will, and I look forward to catching up with that scene. In particular. Hitchcock be his last appearance on this list, my number four, Michael. You know, Josh isn't here. So even though I said there are rules to our top fives, I like to break this one from time to time. I've got a tie. I couldn't help it, because breaks their prison breaks a pair of joint escapes in the Cone Brothers raising Arizona and Frank Darrabannce the Shawshank Redemption. So the Cone Brothers staging Gale and Evil's escape like they're emerging from some primordial ooze. It's this rebirth almost John Goodman head first, popping up. It's like popping up from below the mud. And just like most babies come into the world, Michael, he's screaming his head off, covered in goose, screaming his head off. Bevel Well he comes out breach. Goodman has to reach down and grab William Forsyth by the legs and pull him out upside down, and at no point does the screaming cease. If you think about all the conventional, boring ways this could have been staged. Oh, we need these guys to break out of jail. You know. The Cone Brothers just take it to the cartoonish level that that whole movie functions on. And Gail and Evil, they're not so unlike Randal Tech Cobs, Lone Biker The Apocalypse, you know who h I McDonough says, But I feared that I myself had unleashed him, for he was the fury that would be as soon as Florence Arizona found her little Nathan gone. They get Nathan Junior home and what happens Hi's pass drudges itself up from the slime in the form of the Smoke Brothers is just so so good and if it hadn't come out seven years prior to shawshank Redemption, you might think the Cones were having some fun at the expense of Shawshank in the portentousness of this moment. But it's one I still love, and I loved again when I revisited the film with Josh here on the show and we gave it a sacred cow review for its anniversary. Another sort of rebirth. Andy dufrayin head First, emerging from the sewer tunnel after crawling to freedom through five hundred yards of shit smelling foulness. I can't even imagine, or maybe I don't want to, into the river where he strips away the stink and filled the sewer of his life in the hell hole that was Shawshank, all culminating with that Roger deacons iconic bird's eye view shot of Tim Robbins and his outstretched arms. Two very similar uses of rain. It couldn't be more tonally different.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's great. I'm glad that we got at least one because I don't think I have any comedy in mind, but like I love, Yeah, it was just sort of the grandiose operatic comedy of low comedy of raising Arizona. But yeah, if I had a longer list, I'd probably just for a really cheap one off rain gag. I love them, you know, I like like any number of lines in Young Frankenstein. I love could be worse? What how could be? Raining? Come on? You know, I mean pretty just perfect. So yeah, you know that's that's not a halft the moment, but it's just it's literally just a bit of bump, you know. But but but it's great and so anyway, but I'm glad we got I'm glad we got an epic example of comic use of rain. Very good.
Speaker 3: Indeed, you're number three.
Speaker 1: Number three. I'm a no mode for comedy on this list, apparently, uh you know. So my number three is The Bridges of Madison County, Okay, directed by and starring Clint Eastwood, based on the terrible Robert Weller bestseller. The film is not terrible. It's very good. In fact, it maybe adam the best improvement of a terrible novel on screen period, one of them, very very It could very well be the one. But uh, you know, the script of the film follows the events of the book, you know, fairly faith fully chance meeting after the four day affair for the ages is over between Francesca played by Meryl Streep, the Iowa, the unfulfilled Iowa housewife. It's a word farewell between her and Robert Kinkaid, the photographer played by Eastwood, just before Francesca's lunkhead farmer husband gets the driver's seat of the pickup. But just like everything in this movie, just about everything, and there we see outside the truck, Eastwood's character is simply standing in the rain looking at her from a distance. You know, out of context, it would look like a stalker or a killer waiting to strike. And Eastwood's range as an actor has always been not expansive, you know. He's always had a very kind of like comfortable groove in a very narrow kind of range. But there are things that he does at this scene in the rain that partly because the character has to have a ponytail that is now sort of like he's a long hair, you know. That's how he's described, I think by the husband character. Oh yeah, it looks like some hippie, right, you know, so he just looks like kind of a wet, you know, aging hippie, you know, but just truly heartbroke and crushed. And Eastwood is doing things in that shot. It's just a series of shots of him just looking. This is a wordless scene between these two characters saying goodbye, and there's a little smile that thanks change sort of after you know, ten seconds go by. And this is just this is you know, the last one was Rain as a murderer's best friend and foreign correspondent. Rain is a bittersweet farewell and goodbye dragging in this in Bridges of Madison County. It's Rain crying the tears that this man cannot and that's you know, and you definitely believe that Eastwood is somebody who is not dying to do a crying scene ever, so the rain must you do it. But it's it's all handled so well. And this film is just part of this great trifecta of excellent work that Eastwood did behind the camera in the early nineties. I mean it was unforgiven a perfect world and Bridges of Madison County and that that's you know, that's that's an for anybody to kind of rest their laurels. Yeah, that's my number three.
Speaker 3: Well, it's a perfect number three. As we transition to my choice. Not only do I not have any comedy, yeah, a present in my choice here, Michael. But this is certainly one of the most famous uses of rain in movie history. And it is exactly what you said, a case where the rain has to do the crying for the character. It's the only thing Perry will miss. In In Cold Blood Richard Brooks nineteen sixty seven adaptation of the Truman Capoti bestseller, Perry's partner in crime, Dick Hickock, has been executed. At this point, Perry, played by Robert Blake, is waiting his turn, and he's talking about his troubled childhood, his relationship with his father, a disturbing relationship with his father, harrowing story. He recounts of his father attempting to kill him, and he's effectively giving his testimony, his final testimony to the prison chaplain. It's a three and a half minute scene. There's two cuts in the first minute from Blake in a medium shot to the chaplain and then back to Blake, and then the camera just holds on Blake in a tight close up for the next two and a half minutes, and Brooks and his cinematographer, the legendary Conrad Hall. They stage the whole black and white scene so that Blake's face fills the left side of the frame, and the right side is the window where we have the pattern of constant rain hitting it, providing the only sound that we hear other than Blake's voice. And the key part beyond the sound is the shadow of the rain. There's just enough light coming through that is the rain hits the window, it creates this effective tears rolling down Perry's cheek from his left eye. I've read a few things over the years about this scene, Michael, where Conrad Hall has said it was mostly fortuitous. Everyone thinks his line is even people think you're a genius for planning something like that, but he says, in reality, you were just smart enough to notice it and exploit it. The way they had set it up that effect was occurring, he said, okay, we have to keep this. We have to do everything we can to maintain this. It wasn't as if they necessarily plan that when they were approaching shooting that day, but it's fortuitous for all of us that he did have that eye and he and Brooks decided to exploit it for what they did although the character's delivery isn't robotic at all, he's also not overwhelmed with emotion, and as he says about his father, I hate him and I love him. Rather than pouring on sentimentality and asking us to weep for Perry, which I don't think any of us at this point are prepared to do, it only heightens his very fractured, confused psyche. The layering of tears, in this case over his face.
Speaker 1: God, I love to see that again, and I really love to see Bennett Miller's Capoti just to kind of get I mean, it's silistically visually completely different, but fascinating, kind of like example, looking at the same set of just tragic, tragic and awful, you know, hollowed out human beings, and how you can sort of tell a story around. Yeah, no, good, excellent, pick good pick Who picked these for you? Is it good?
Speaker 3: Thank you? Number two?
Speaker 1: By number two? Well, I Know where I'm going. I know where I'm going with this one. It's a film called I Know Where I'm Going by Michael Power and Emeric Presberger, filmed in late nineteen forty four. One of my favorite films in any genre, absolutely singular romance, Wendy Hiller, for those who don't know it, plays the fiance of one of the richest men in Britain who owns the factory where she works. And she's off to the Hebrides Islands off the coast of Scotland where they are to be married. And she gets to the little village on the coast where she's supposed to catch a boat to the island, but there's terrible weather causes her and a British naval officer leave played by Roger Livesey to bide their time among the locals. Well sparks fly subtly, i would say, but then simply to flee her own intense, increasingly intense attraction to this navel man. She sort of bullies the local boatsman to take her across the water in this awful rangetorm, terrible dangerous weather, and there's this dreaded, practically mythical whirlpool doing its thing, and you know it's all studio bound, rear projection, the rain, all the rest of it. But this is, you know, near the end. It's a really effective climax. It's very it's very exciting, and you're also at this point so utterly beguiled by how this film is working its magic for what is essentially a meat cute rom com but treated in a way that no other romantic comedy or screen romance, let's just call it, has ever been treated. It was so much interesting folklore and music, and you get Petula Clark at age fifteen and these heart shaped glasses, and I mean, it's this fantastic. There's so many great things in it, and Wendy Hiller is just wonderful. You just buy every element, and there's I think this is Rain as kind of a supernatural matchmaker, you know. I mean, there is a hint of the supernatural in many elements of the story of I Know where I'm Going, and the weather itself is actually conspiring to keep these two together and Wendy Hiller and her fiance whom we never meet, and the rain is keeping them apart, as they should be because it is destined to go the other way. So I love the film, and you know, it's it's it's there's a lot of it in the film, but it also is a film that really really lives for the sunshine. And my people are Scottish and Irish, and I know exactly what that's like. And also, if you've ever been to the this is on a fictional Hebrides Island, but that is a gorgeous part of the world. Oh my god, I mean, this is great. And but I love the film, And honestly, Adam, even if this film were taking place completely in sunshine, I still would have put it on the list for the rain scenes because I love the film so much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a really good film. It's one I just caught up with last year because of the Powell Presburger documentary that came out, and before I saw that, I wanted to make sure I filled it a couple blind spots because I otherwise love what I've seen from the Archers. Really good film, and I knew exactly where you were going when you said I know where I'm going. It had to be that sequence. I remember watching that in thinking, you know, they're going to be okay, but it is so hard to watch. It feels so dangerous that sequence that you are thinking they are doomed. There is no way they are getting out of this alive. I remember very vividly viscerally feeling that watching that sequence. So well, yeah, you told.
Speaker 1: Me that you know who didn't see that movie until he was almost something like forty five or fifty, and he loved all the other Archer stuff that he'd seen all Martin Scorsese.
Speaker 3: No kidding, possibly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, so he sees it and he wrote something back of some either Criterion edition or something. If you just say the quote is hilarious, it's just it's so right. It's so because we all feel that way. It's like, just when I thought I had run out of masterpieces, I saw this one, you know, and it's just it's an unassuming film. It's not a huge epic, it's not it doesn't have that kind of you know, self serious romantic half of a lot of like great screen romances. But man, I I just it is unlike any other film I know and love. So yeah all the way, do you know if And it's a story about the Norwegian prince who does had broke What happened to the one made in the hair of faithful maidens?
Speaker 5: It held until the tight nothing is stronger than trueller, no nothing, No, I'm more go on.
Speaker 2: But one Maiden was untrue.
Speaker 3: To And I thought you might be going with Scorsese because he's kind of the featured player. He's the narrator of that film made in England. It's all about his experience with the films of Powell and Presberger. Another great transition. We didn't plan this into my number two pick, as we're talking a little bit about Rain as a supernatural force and maybe I'm breaking the rules a little bit here again, Michael, But did anyone say that Rain had to be exclusively of the liquid variety? Because I think Paul Thomas Anderson's Magnolia question that with the Frogs. We talked about this film back during our nine from ninety nine series, I think in twenty twenty I talked then about the line of that film, one of them for me being I'm not through asking questions. And I think it's not only a great question, a great line, but a great line delivery in the film speaks to its inquisitive nature about these characters having to confront some really harsh truths and having to confront the reality within all of this randomness that seems to be occurring around them, accepting narratives or abandoning accepted narratives by them or those around them. And here you've got pt Anderson taking something that feels biblical, but isn't really. I mean, there's the tail of the plague of the frogs emerging from the nile, but not so much dropping from the sky. But of course we instantly go to that in our minds. It feels apocalyptic. Undoubtedly, we have a movie about the possibility or impossibility. Perhaps I think I would go with possibility based on what occurs after the frogs fall from the sky, of people being redeemed, and it plays out on such an intimate but epic scale that it somehow isn't totally shocking when it all culminates, not with a downpour, a rain that washes away everyone sees, but the absolute chaos of frogs just thudding down repeatedly to the ground. Like the movie itself, the visuals and the sound of them thumping is intense and it's kind of distressing. But you know, we were just talking about comedy, and you don't really have a comedic choice. I had won and raising Arizona. Michael rewatched this scene. It's hilarious, complete with an ambulance flipping on its side and skidding to a stop right in front of the emergency room, and there's the vera shot tracking a frog from the sky, the camera falling along with the frog as it drops onto the ceiling where Jimmy Gator is preparing to kill himself. But we also get the beauty of the tracking shot moving in on the movie's true innocence, Stanley, the young boy who's actually shielded, and that tracking shot that just kind of neatly pushes in on him, and that look of awe and really joy and that line this happens, This is something that happens. Indeed, it is happening. Frogs are falling from the sky, just further connecting these disparate stories and these characters who are all experiencing it together. And it does compel change, It compels the Catharsis in these characters. And I think it's fitting with the film subject matter, because the type of catharsis if we're lucky enough to find it, or certainly we all, whether we want it or not, end up experiencing great change. It often happens in unpredictable and random ways. But these things, these things do happen, his film suggests, and it's one of those moments I think we all remember, you remember where you were watching Magnolia for the first time, and being stunned by that sound first and then the visual of those frogs and trying to process what's occurring in that moment. You actually do hear the thudding for a good twenty or thirty seconds, the camera holding on Philip Seymour Hoffman's face in shock and pta withholds what he's seeing until he finally says, and really only the way Philip Seymour Hoffman can he says, oh, there are frogs falling from the sky. He delivers it both in a way that suggests he's utterly perplexed, as you would expect, but also it's completely matter of fact. It's both. He nails both of those senses at once with that line reading and Yeah, I instantly thought of rain. I instantly thought of frogs falling from the sky in Magnolia.
Speaker 1: It's a cleansing, amphibious rain, you know, Yes it is, Yes, that's what we ad No, it's a great scene. I all of a lot of people. You know, for a lot of people it was their exit moment, you know, from a film that was maybe testing their patients in other ways. But no, I love it. I mean, that's the kind of risk that it doesn't if he showed it to me on paper and sort of described it, or if I heard this podcast, you know, and I hadn't seen the movie. You know, I probably think maybe you know, but somehow at all the tone is perfect, and it's just one of the craziest nervous transitions into another realm that mostly realistic film, you know, he's ever pulled off. So yeah, great pic, great pick.
Speaker 3: Okay, you're number one rain scene. Michael.
Speaker 1: Well, when I was I was saying, no comedy, you know when I think about this, Actually, I love the wit of this scene. Just I've delighted in it ever since I saw the movie. And the movie's The Big Sleep from nineteen forty six. Humphrey bogartist Philip Marlow, and in the scene I'm talking about Dorothy Malone, all of twenty years old, is the unnamed but unforgettable proprietor of the Acme Bookshop in downtown La So Marlow is on the trail of the shady pornographer right, whose name is on the door of the Rare Books emporium across the street. But one of the best timed cloudbursts in the history of Los Angeles cracks open again. Marlow continues a little quicker across the street to see if you anybody at the other bookstore can talk abit and give him some information about the rival bookstore and the shady corner across the way and dozy. So the second Marlow starts questioning this cool a cucumber woman about what she might know about the suspect. She sort of leans in and says, you begin to interest me vaguely, and it's a smile. And they're both I mean, they both just so clearly. It's like it's like there's a little thought bubble about both of them. It's like I dig this person. And so just as the mutual flirtation is easy into kind of very promising territory, let's say, Malone's character mentions, you know that it's raining pretty hard and gives Marlow a long look that Howard Hawk's the director makes sure to give a choice two and a half second close up, and then she says, looks like we're closed for the rest of the afternoon, and she pulls down the shade in a way that suggests that she might have done some night work as a stripper occasionally, and she actually says that line ye know, the look says, looks like we're closed for the rest of the afternoon, and then she actually says that line out loud a few seconds later, so Marlowe says, I've got a good got a flask a pretty good ride in my pocket. And then there's this fade out just after he wonders if she could remove her reading glass, and then new scene undetermined length of time later, And it's entirely in the mind of the viewer at this point to speculate if they've actually managed to make love and get dressed again, or are we just thinking that because we were raised wrong. You know, I don't know, but either way, Max Stein or the composer is determined to make it seem like they, yes, they have had a lovely hour or so of passion, just because he's pouring on this music on the soundtrack, and it's just enough slightly hands the physical contact in the last few seconds between these two, just before Marlowe has to get back to the goddamn plot nobody can follow. But you know, we're with the Big Sleep all the way for every reason that besides this plot that is you know, almost wilfully decipherable, and this film. To me, those three minutes or so that the whole scene probably makes it. It's just the kind of detour, the off plot moment that between two people dealing with a great a great bit of timing and luck that they have been thrown together in this bookstore. To me, you know, if this what does rain serving this purpose? Well, it's it's like it makes literacy look really sexy, you know. So that's that's this is rain as you know, it's rain as misliteracy nineteen forty six. That's that's that's my reading of this.
Speaker 3: What's Boby's line, I'd a lot rather get wet in here?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's what that was. It was just slang for getting drunk back in the day. But yeah, yeah, it doesn't quite sound like I was. Yeah, no, I love it. And it's just you've just never seen two actors more instantly write together in a scene that barely barely matters to the plot. So yeah, no, I love you. My number one.
Speaker 3: Well, it's a great pick. I mentioned that there would be more Hitchcock. No Psycho is not in the pantheon yet, even though it probably should be. Driving to the Baits Motel is my pick. And even oh yeah, even before the rain, Michael, this is such a great three minute sequence, this driving sequence, and of course the music from Bernard Herman is a huge part of it. Leaves Marion Crane with the forty k she's stolen from her employer, off to rendezvous with her boyfriend Sam in California. Hitchcock's camera fixated almost entirely on Marion's face for the entire scene, as she replays some actual moments from the day and the crime she's committed, and imagining other scenarios, though fantasizing is probably a more appropriate word because of how Hitchcock links Marian here to Norman later, I think quite intentionally, that tormented face that twists up into a little smile, eyes almost sparkling as these voices talk about how sweet, innocent Marian could possibly be so devious as to pull all this off, and she likes that, she likes the darker talk about her and the thing that she's done. Again, she's all conjuring it in her mind. She couldn't be there for any of these things that they may or may not actually be saying. But then the rain does come, and as the rain starts pouring, down during a drive that makes it difficult for Marian to see the road. She can't see her path any longer. To Sam, everything seems to be going as they've planned it. Now the rain is coming, She's confused, and then that's when she finally gets scared, and this is where Hermann's strings become more violent and frenetic in time with the windshield wipers trying to keep the rain at day. The relentless music then only stops when, almost like a mirage in the desert, the light of the Baits Motel is revealed through the darkness and the spatters of rain. I love how Hitchcock shows that reveal and how her car somehow almost floats into the drive of the Baits Motel like the car's on autopilot. It's like Marion has no choice in the matter. Her fate has been preordained. She is completely powerless, and of course water is going to factor into her fate in a major way as well a few scenes later. But it's it's that reveal. It's it's the rain only slightly dissipating enough for her to see the light of the Bates Motel and pull in, even though she has really no choice in it, Michael.
Speaker 1: That's a great pick. I mean, even though the you know, the car has the worst set of wipers in the history of vehicles, you know. I mean like it's just maybe maybe that was standard issue wipers for nineteen sixty and extremely heavy rain. But yeah, yeah, no, I love it. It's like the one, you know, the shining beacon of truth ahead of her. A name you can trust, a name you can trust. Bates Martel, Yeah, of course, no, it's it's wonderful. And and Herban's music, You're right, Bernon, Herban's music is uh is absolutely evoking, you know, this sort of like driving repetitive, you know, rhythmic kind of like you know, hammering rain. And why it's not in the pantheon, what the hell, Adam, Well.
Speaker 3: There's some other hitchcock already there. We've got to make room for some others to play camp on Sandbox Michael. But yeah, very deserving an all timer for sure. Those are our top five rain scenes. Do you have any honorable mentions others that you considered that you want to get on the record before we go.
Speaker 1: I mean, I considered Todd Browning's Freaks, which has a terrifying last ten minutes or so where the you know, the circus circus acts of the title exact their revenge on their tormentors, and there's a lot of that scene wouldn't be half as frightening without a driving rainstorm studio style, you know. But somehow it didn't quite make my top five. But that's certainly memorable that film. The fact that that film was such an enormous flop at the time too just I think attest to how gruesome it was then and how it still seems that way. And also it's a it's a two faced achievement in that it's dealing with fairly sincere sympathy, you know, real sympathy toward these characters and the performers because Tom Browning his career had been spent in part in these sort of acts. And at the other time, he's said, by the end here he's just exploiting the hell out of the you know, sort of the image of these quote freaks unquote for the worst possible shock value, you know, which I you know, I don't know. I mean, the movies are built on that kind of hypocrisy, I think face quality. But that's my dad, that would be a runner up for me.
Speaker 3: Okay, a few for me. I may have excluded memories of murder, but definitely want to throw a shout out to parasite from Bong Juno, the flood from that film, Peter Wher's The Truman Show when when he's out there all alone, Truman's out there Jim Carrey and the malfunction occurs where the rain is just isolated only on him right, and it follows him along before the rain finally does sweep across the entire space. I must make my witness Howard Beale coming in from the storm, going on the news and beginning is I'm mad as Hell's speech? Two thousand and two Spider Man, the famous upside down kiss happening in the rain, a couple from the film Spotting Family Discord that I otherwise would have completely overlooked. Ohver, Libergall mentioned the ending of Kiarastami's Taste of Cherry, and Mark Friedman highlighted the wedding night scene what are they ducks from It's a Wonderful Life? Okay, they're a great one.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Good.
Speaker 3: A lot of good contenders for our top five rain scenes. We would love to hear your picks or any other comments about the show. You can email us feedback at film spotting dot net. You can find me and the show on Instagram and Facebook. I'm at film Spotting, Josh is at Larson on film My, you're on the Socials. You're at Phillips Tribune.
Speaker 1: Yep, maam on. As for my sins, I guess still on Facebook, you know. And then yeah, it just just joined Blue Sky kind of.
Speaker 3: But you know, time is put your foot in the water.
Speaker 1: Time is money. I don't know, I'm not much. I'm not I'm not a heavy participant yet, but but yeah, you can, you can. You can find me here and there now and then Yeah, Okay.
Speaker 3: Film Spotting is independently produced and listeners supported. You can support the show by joining the film Spotting Family at Filmspotting family dot com. You get to listen early in ad free. You get our weekly newsletter, monthly bonus episodes, and access to the entire show archives. In the archives, you can find some other Joe Wriich conversations. We talked about pride and prejudice. This week. We talked about atonement on episode one eight nine, Hannah, Episode three forty three, Anna Carininda for twenty three in the Darkest Hour on episode six sixty seven, Michael, I'm gonna give you some new releases outlimited out wide. If you any of them want to give us a quick yay or nay, please do Grand Tour. This is a period drama from Portuguese filmmaker Miguel Gomash, who made Taboo. It's playing at the Gene Siskel Film Center. Justin Chang from the New Yorker says undermines the relationship between sound and image with a sly and miraculous fluidity. I'm intrigued.
Speaker 1: I've not seen it myself. I will see it.
Speaker 3: Soon, Okay. The King of Kings is out stars Oscar Isaac, Kenneth Branna Uma, Thurman, Forrest Whitaker, Mark Hamill. It's a banger of a cast based on a story by Charles Dickens. The catch. It's an animated film about the life of Christ with Isaac as Jesus, which you know is weird because Isaac already played Jesus's human debt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I have not seen that. I don't know a damn thing about it.
Speaker 3: Actually, yeah, I don't really either, except what information I related Sacramento out as well. This is a road trip drama edy with Michael Sarah and director Slash star Michael on Garano. It co stars Kristin Stewart in wide release, The Amateur, an introverted Cia Dakota played by Raymy Mallick, takes matters into his own hands when his wife is killed in a terrorist attack. Laurence Fishburne and Michael Stoolbarg co star. Favorite review title pun Okay, this is Sam giving us a little levity. Robert Daniel says, clear and present data, Ryan Ty the board identity, and Aaron Newarth our friend said the boorn novice.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's all cool. I'll be filing tomorrow on that, so we'll I gotta up my wordplay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, apparently drop is out. This is about a widowed mother on her first date in years. She's terrorized by a series of mysterious drops to her phone that just doesn't really seem fair. It's from the director of Happy Death Day and Freaky Here Again. Brian tall Rico says, finally a south By Southwest movie that knows what it wants to do, and Jess sets about doing it. Fun stuff. According to Brian Warfare is out. It doesn't seem like fun stuff. This is a movie about a platoon of Navy seals on a real time mission gone wrong, co directed by Alex Garland and former Seal Ray Mendoza, who was Garland's technical advisor on Civil War. Isaac Feldberg says, a clear response to the politics of apathy. Next week, we're not planning on talking about any of those films. Some things still up in the air. Not up in the air, Andre Tarkowsky. Our new marathon kicks off with two early efforts from the Russian Master, The Steamroller and the Violin, and Ivan's Childhood. For show plans and more, visitfilm spotting dot net slash episodes. Film Spotting is produced by Golden Jo Toso and Sam van Holgren. Without Sam and Golden Joe, the show wouldn't go. Our production assistant is Sophie Kempenar and special thanks to everyone at wb e Z Chicago. More information is available at WBEZ dot org and of course a huge thank you, Michael to you for filling in this week. Always a pleasure, dave On. We gave the folks a robust show and I'm glad we saw ey'd eye and pride and prejudice.
Speaker 1: You know, absolutely, it was. It was. It was great fun to talk about that one. And yeah, it was a pip, Like I got a towel. I got a towel off of that rain list though I've got a little damp.
Speaker 3: And everybody, I got a It was a pip, which is all I ever want from you. Michael, Thank you so much for film spotting. Adam Keepinar, thanks for listening.
Speaker 2: This conversation can serve no purpose anymore.
Speaker 3: Burn film spotting as listeners supported. Joined the film Spotting Family at film spotting family dot com and get access to ad free episodes, monthly bonus shows, our weekly newsletter, and for the first time, all in one place, the entire film spotting archive going back to two thousand and five. That's a film Spotting Family dot com panibly