Speaker 1: We think about aliens a lot, Brent, and I partly because sound, light and frequency lives at that intersection of Hollywood and UFOs, which means we do spend a fair amount of time asking what aliens look like, particularly when they cross over from witness reports and folklore and nightmare fuel onto movie and television screens. As creatives, we do know a fair amount about the phenomenon as people report it and they say it's real, and we know the familiar categories. If you think about it, it's the Big Four first, of course, grays certainly, but also Nordic's mantids and reptilians on screen. Of course, the menu gets even stranger. Then you have xenomorph's, benevolent light beings, humanoids from another dimension, aquatic intelligences, and the good old bug eyed monsters and whatever else a writer, a director, a studio or a special effects budget can dream up. But the journey from the mind to the movie theater is rarely a straight line, and it's almost never easy. I'll give you a case in point. I learned that the hard way on my first produced UFO movie, which we've talked about on this podcast. It was called Official Denial which was the original film that launched the Sci Fi Channel. Now, the script had about as many UFO ideas as I could cram into ninety minutes without requiring an actual forklift, But it also had a captured gray in it. Because I was trying to be authentic. That turned out to be my biggest mistake. We had a modest budget to put it. Kindly, when it came time to put that alien on screen, the surviving gray called Doss was played by a fifteen year old Australian dancer named Holly Brisly inside a rubbery alien suit. And let me be clear, Holly gave it everything that she could. This is not a story about her failing. This is a story about the unforgiving nature of alien creation. Because if the alien doesn't work, the mythology starts to collapse, and audiences they can believe in majestic twelve or hidden basses, recovered craft, often even time distortion, but only if the being at the center of it all feels real. And that's why today's conversation matters, because an alien is never really just a creature effort. It's the answer to the question that the whole story is asking. So today Brent, and I have brought in a person who knows exactly how hard that work is and who's triumphed at it over and over. And Brent, let's talk about our guests, and let's bring this man in and get into the art, the science, and even the terror of the whole thing, and talking about what it means to make an alien.
Speaker 2: I'm Brent Friedman. Years ago, a family friend who became a cabinet member in the Reagan administration just closed to me that aliens are real, They're here, and he'd seen them.
Speaker 1: I'm Bryce's Abel. Later, when we were producing Dark Skies, an NBCTV series about an alien invasion, we were approached by men who said they were from the Office of Naval Intelligence and they wanted to give us inside information in exchange for access to our show.
Speaker 2: We didn't take that deal, but we have never stopped thinking about it.
Speaker 1: That's why we do this podcast. We're working out ideas in real time about how Hollywood is portrayed aliens and why every.
Speaker 2: Episode is different because there are so many questions.
Speaker 1: We're looking for answers. It's an active investigation. Let's do this together, all right.
Speaker 2: This is a very exciting episode for me because one of my favorite parts of the process of development is taking those ideas that we put on the page and talking with an actual artist who's going to bring our imagination to life. It's always a fun negotiation, if you will, trying to figure out how those words can become actual living things that fit within the budget and the schedule. But before I go any further, I want to introduce to you today our guest who is one of the absolute rock stars of Hollywood. He's definitely one of the best special effects experts that I've ever had the privilege of knowing for three decades, mind you, and we even got to work a few times together. Todd Masters is the founder of Master's Effects, which has a long list of credits ranging from look Who's Talking to Star Trek First Contact, to Tales from the Crypts the TV series to Stargate SG one, and of course Brice our TV series Dark Skies. Unfortunately, that quick rundown is not going to do Todd justice. We need a full episode to go over his long list of credits. But let me just say this, Todd Masters is an innovator and an Emmy Award winner, and most importantly a real good dude who I'm proud to call my friend.
Speaker 1: Wow, Hey, Todd, don't.
Speaker 2: I got him? I got him blushing.
Speaker 3: That's exactly what I was get some some foundation on. Actually it's not thirty, it's forty, if you can believe it. Oh, but he is just about to be forty years old. I've actually been doing this twelve, so that's more like forty six years or something. Did you say twelve? Yeah, I started with us twelve.
Speaker 1: Hey, Todd, Sorry, in all those years, how many monsters and aliens have you created? How what's the number.
Speaker 3: At I'm possible to remember it?
Speaker 1: Or is it a dozens?
Speaker 3: Or is it it's well in the many hundreds. Yeah, it's We've been going strangely since the eighties. Brent. I think we met on The Resurrected, which we were doing in the late eighties. Yes, we were both five years old, I recall.
Speaker 2: Yes, I was three. I think you were five.
Speaker 3: Or yeah, you didn't have to be. But no, magically a practical effects company still beats pretty strong. So it's shocks even me the numbers like you've seen start Trek First Contact is going to be thirty in November, feels to the Crypts streaming right now. Those episodes are really old, so it's just wild.
Speaker 2: But we have Dark Skies is coming up on our thirty year anniversary this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what do we want to do?
Speaker 2: So the number I want to go back to is twelve. I know things are done differently in Canada, but how did you start working in special effects when you were twelve years old?
Speaker 3: I was a really big kid, had a really deep voice, kind of like that, and I was just fascinated by Ray Harry Housen movies and these animated cyclopses and every Sunday. This is before we had recording mechanisms this. I don't even think there was satellites beaming this end. It was probably just Yarn and the Tin Cans. But we used to watch Sunday Sci Fi Channel. I'm sure you guys did too. I saw in the magazines Ray Harryhausen and a couple other names, and somehow I got keyed in that there's these things called phone books, and so I started I went to the Seattle Library and I pulled out the London phone book. Hey there's Ray Harry not many Ray Harryhausen's, and so I started calling him and a couple others like Will Vinton and Tom Burman, just because there was no Internet, there was no real there wasn't even many books, and so I'm sure I called Harry Hausen Ont like three in the morning. I didn't undertand type songs, and so that kind of started this pursuit. And I looked in the local phone book for animation and stuff, and I found these guys called the Hill Brothers cartoons down the worst part of Seattle. Took the bus down there at twelve, just talked my way into getting a gig, and we were doing an educational film about birth control. And I was this kid that my parents hadn't told me anything yet, right, So all of a sudden, I'm painting sperm and I'm painting prophylactics and uteruses as cartoons. And so I got a pretty good education that summer, and by the time I was thirteen, I became head of the department, which was pretty funny. And I just was like this kind of talker. I could talk myself into almost anything. And there was another thing going on downtown Seattle at this lab called Alpha Cine, which the Hill Brothers told me about. That's where we were having our film process. I went down there and I talked myself into an effects job in the optical training department. I started cleaning inner positives and shit like this. One day film comes through sideways and I go to my boss what is this And he's like, oh, that's Star Wars too. I'm like what And it was Empire Strikes Back. And so I started working at Empire Strikes Back at twelve or something, I don't know, Wow, and yeah, it was a blue screen of snowspeeder se.
Speaker 1: For the people who are listening who may not know, tell us who Ray Harryhausen is was.
Speaker 3: Mister Harry Housen is well known in our world as kind of the godfather of horror and science fiction effects and animation. He did a lot of aliens in fact, so back in like the fifties and the forties he got to start with making these little black and whites like Mighty Joe Young and there's a great one Earth versus the Flying Saucers where all these Saucerers smash into Washington, DC. He's probably best known for the Seventh Voyage of Simbad effects and the Cyclops early technicolor. This is model animation so it was a puppet that they had jointed and they shoot a frame, he'd move at shooter. Frame went all the way up to Clash of the Titans. But he's known now as kind of the guy that opened the door for George Lucas and Phil Tippa and Spielberg for this kind of upgraded fantasy because before him, there was really just people in bad suits.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this when you just mentioned that it's been hundreds of these creatures, whether they be alien or monsters, that you've been involved in creating. I'm sure many of the directors are producers or writers that you work with are like Brent and I we were like, hey, we need something completely original, but it's got to be super authentic and no one's ever have seen anything like this before, but it needs to be familiar. So I'm sure you've had that conversation many times when.
Speaker 3: You're talking every day. Yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 1: So when you're creating all these different let's call them aliens for now, let's separate the aliens from the monsters. Although they're all kind of nhi, aren't they they're non human intelligence of some kind. But when you're creating an alien and somebody says, give me something different, Where do you start. What's the process by which you identify how to give somebody something that unique.
Speaker 3: Let's really changed over the last few years with AI. A lot of people are doing like AI concepts right now. Back in the day, more like the nineties and the early two thousand and I still do it. We generally look at the room. We try to figure out tonality, what is the thing that we're trying to create. If it is an alien show, I might go looking for whatever the alien group is, for things that look like they're going to inspire me, inspire the direct and other people. And I look for hits because it's I'm not a big fan of AI and everything. We still do here and there for concepts, but it's better to use your human powers to try to source out the samples. I am not a fan of starting the process with, oh, this has to be a makeup or this has to be a long armed guy in a suit. I don't think that really helps the film in some cases, maybe, but I find it better to just feel through the void a little bit with these helpers like the style guides and maybe Sama and lots of conversation, just.
Speaker 1: As an example, a lot of people who are listening to this podcast have gone on the journey with me and Brent where we walk them through the Dark Sky's experience, and so a lot of them have gotten either they've seen clips from Dark Skies or if they were lucky, they bought an old copy of the DVD set or whatever. For those people who are saying, wait, there's these grays in Dark Skies? How did we make the grays? Were they puppets? Were they people? Were they cgi? How would you describe the Dark Skies aliens?
Speaker 2: They're saying, I'm going to back that up just a little bit, okay, because that's all a fascinating explanation. But Bryce, if you remember one of the things that we threw at Todd and we were those director like saying we want something totally different, totally new. Our whole approach was we had read stories that there were small grays and there were larger grays, and so we were like, Okay, instead of having two grays, what if we take the idea that it's the same creature that just has the capacity to stand up and expand yes night. And so we came at Todd with that and I'm sure you were like, wait, what, So with that in mind, take us through the process, if you you can run going back thirty years, What was it like trying to design these dark sky's grays that we threw at you.
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, we love that idea just because we hadn't seen it before and we were going into this project with this certain familiarity in the design style, meaning that if you recall, we made early mccketts, which are little clay design sculpts. Yes, we did a very traditional if I can use my fingers there, traditional gray just standing there. I think Jeremy Iyello sculpted at this mccutt And then we did another one where it was that all stretched out just again feel in the dark or we close, is this what we want and do it at small scale? Back then we did it in small scale like that just because it's easier to fix and change. We love the idea of the stretchy stuff because we were just right there on switching into this new material cult normal plastic, which was a high temperature, vinally kind of substance. It wasn't silicone, it was it was actually sex toy material that one of our artists had discovered he had made a bunch of frogs for that one Tom Cruise movie This shit Magnolia. Yeah that all fell down. Oh you know who that was. That was Steve Johnson that did that stuff. He had kind of done some groundwork already and found this really amazingly elastic stuff. So we started sourcing it. It was sextuy material and the makers of Fleshlight, if you want to get there, And so we started using that stuff for all the stretchy stuff. It was super stretchy. I mean we could plasticize it and stretch it around the building. It was crazy. And it was also translucent so we can get some nice backlighting, which monsters always loved that. So we were encouraged by that, and it was almost like you fed into our plan because we wanted to kind of pursue more of that. As far as the rest of the design and all that, we were totally going off your guys leads. I don't remember every specific, but so there was on set practical puppets that we had a couple one that just had a lot of animatronics in the face, usually remote control, and that was with that really weird translucent sex toyskins, and then we had another one that did the change. Oh, and then we and these were really full bodies and we had some really funky hands and they were pretty cool. They seemed to work for the most part. This is back in the mid late nineties, where we were pretty good amatronics at that point, but we had never pulled that kind of material and we were doing pneumatics all sorts of. We were crazy back then, but we got some cool stuff. There was also digital ones that kind of were also part of the equation, and we'd often have meetings to figure out where why ends and the other begins.
Speaker 2: Are you talking about practical and digital?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So they would shoot clean plates, which is basically shooting all the actors except for the grays, and then they would digitally create a model, light it in the computer and composite it onto that clean plate. And that worked good for walks because we couldn't really do a walk. They worked good for wide shots. Close ups were pretty challenging back then for digital assets, so that's usually where our stuff came in. But yeah, I think I'd have to watch the show again. Practical effects, but they're kind of they seem to last a little longer than that era's digital effects.
Speaker 1: Speaking of the skies, you just described the dark s eyzed ones, which, by the way, we'll probably show these in the video version of this. Brent I recalled that we had an artist sketch out some beautiful artwork about yes, these grays could do, and you saw them punched over with their legs and then expanding, and so I think we probably dropped those on Todd and people watching this or seeing them now. But Todd, when you also did speaking of skies, you did Falling Skies, if I'm not mistaken, did you not?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: All right, years later, at least more than ten years. You've had a whole lot of new tools in your belt at that time. What did those tools allow you to do in Falling Skies that you weren't able to do in Dark Skies?
Speaker 3: Falling Skies was pretty interesting for us because they had shot a pilot in Toronto and we didn't quite have our Toronto shop up and running yet, and so they did the pilot without us. You got to remember this, Falling Skies was a Spielberg show. Yeah, after the pilot, I got called by those guys, come on down to ambling. We want to talk to you about doing more practical stuff. Now we're going to be in Vancouver. Rarely do we hear this one, even back then. We want to do less digital and more practical. You're the guy to do this. You know how to mix things, so you know, music to my ears. I hadn't seen anything until I went down there to a bunch of people in the ambulance office and they showed me the pilot and say their skinner design sucked. It was so bad, and so I had to find this way. I didn't even have a gig yet, I had to find this way to tell them fucking Steven Spielberg, and it was like, I think it would be better because the original design had the big buck teeth. It was hilarious. You probably want to do this and that and maybe changes goddamn buck teeth. I guess that sort of got them excited about us, because we weren't afraid to say, look, you got buck teeth at a show and it's going to kill you. And we redesigned the skinners. And as we got more comfortable with the producers and showrunners on the show during the making of it, new characters come along and theirs too. Right the mas. So, yeah, I have a whole array of gas station cups with all our characters on each one of them. It's pretty cute. But yeah, they started doing the max. I don't know if this was like following any uphiology or anything, but they did all this stuff and then they brought in Doug Jones to be playing this character called CoA Cheese And there was a lot going on during there. We were doing skinners, we're doing makeup effects, we're juggling other shows trying to figure out what this thing is going to be. The Doug thing shows up and they have this concept that I also not my job, but I view I vetoed it saying it was gonna suck, and this was the original digital they're planning to do it digitally, and it was just it looked like a digital muppet. So we pitched a hybrid way. Since it was Doug, we knew Doug would really bring it.
Speaker 2: Who's Doug again for the audience?
Speaker 3: Oh sorry. Doug Jones is the pre eminent sup performer actor. I would think he's probably more an actor that he's a suit guy. It's hard to describe a talent like that. Is he's a sweaty suit guy, but he does a lot of suits. He works with Ilmobile too quite a bit. His resume is crazy long, and so we got him involved in following Skuys to play this character called Coachese. Everybody loved Doug and it really should have been a Doug character. So we figured out a way to digitally slave his blinks and his brows and his little face breathings and all that stuff with his voice track. It was really very innovative by our team, and we started doing several seasons of practical and digital and mixing them together. Anyway, that's kind of going way out there. One thing I want to say about Doc and the character Go Cheese, and I didn't realize this until you guys started doing the Spielberg stuff, the character that they designed for Night Skies, which was the pre et but Alien's Bad Story, which was designed by Rick Baker oddly another huge makeup effects guy. Dude, and I got to say, there is a similarity between CoA Cheese and Night Sky's character, just in the way all the forms, and I had never seen it until you guys started talking about this, and the Toby thing kind of got my ears perked a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did you get to know Toby Hooper?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yeah, yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: Toby Hooper told Brent that Steven Spielberg told him that he had been read in he knew things. Is how Toby put it. Did he say something they told Steven to do a deal and he was spoke in a cigar when he said that you've worked with Spielberg, you've assessed him personally, as have Brent, and I do you now? Spielberg denies it and Toby says it happened. Where do you come down on that one?
Speaker 3: I don't think Toby has any reason to lie. And the way I heard it from him was that he and Steven had been buddies for so long and Steven had just brought it up casually that there was some sort of arrangement for close encounters. I think it was, and I don't know if it was earlier, like night skies or whatever. I just I'm following the popular knowledge of night skies. But yeah, I have it in my head in Toby's voice that he had mentioned it, and I don't think it was with you guys, but it could have been, because we were really Toby was our buddy was. Actually, Toby just keeps coming up lately. He's like a spirit. I've been talking to some other friends of mine from the Tales of the Crypt group that they just brought up Toby and how he's just there. He was a very powerful Texan, a good director like that because he could really bark, and we liked that a lot with him. He was very much a non bullshit guy. I don't remember Toby bullshit. He was very specific. I can tell you a story after story where he ramed somebody out, or he took a stand on something that wasn't accurate. He was not a bullshit guy. Spielberg I don't know as well, but I also get that same impression that he doesn't have time for bullshit. That it just why would you, why would you even bring it up?
Speaker 2: Yeap, Look, I want to go back to you mentioned the movie that we met on, which was The Resurrected, and I think just as a testimony to how realistic your effects can look back then, even back then, this was what like eighty nine eighty seven.
Speaker 3: I think we shot at in eighty nine, okay, and I think it came out in ninety one.
Speaker 2: So just to tee this up a little bit and then I'll let you tell the story. This was an HP Lovecraft adaptation that Dan O'Bannon directed. I've spoken about this project a couple times on the show, and Todd was in charge of the special effects, and this was being shot in Canada back in eighty nine, and something crazy happened with the special effects. Tell the story.
Speaker 3: Which day you want me to start with? There's this, well, a couple of things. Congratulations, the movie is thirty five years old, June one. It was crazy phenominal. Yeah, I think it was filmed on leather. It's so damn long ago. It definitely was on film. I could tell you all sorts of stuff about that. But one of the locations we were filming was this little creek and it was the flashback dream sequence to Victorian Ages.
Speaker 2: Or whatever, the seventeen hundreds or Seen.
Speaker 3: Sixteen, and so all this cast was in costumes. We had the old house. It was beautifully done, and the whole scene is this kid looking into the creek and seeing body parts floating down like a horrific nightmare. And we had made these fucking things that part these things that were really awful, and the torso and a bunch of several arms and just all sorts of things. The floor effects. Guys like, I've got to string him up to wire, so once we throw him down the creek, we could reel them back in. And we've got to take two and reel them back in and take three. Okay, that's a smart idea. So he rigged up I think it was like a dozen fishing reels, not necessarily the rod, but the reel on piano wire, and he did that. Well.
Speaker 1: I don't even know how this story ends, guys, but this sounds so bad. It's worse.
Speaker 3: Anyway. This was Sunday when he rigged it. Sunday night, this big storm came through. We show up Monday to shoot this little creek and it is a raging river, is just going out of control. But show must go on. We set up cameras, we roll it. We throw body parts down the raging river, and everybody's like, great, okay, take two. They start railing back the things, and one by one, being like jaws, all the body parts float away. And I'm like, it's not like we flew up the Canada with a carton or you know, crate full of these things. We got to go after those. So I steal a boat. I jumped in this little dinghy that I go after him down this raging river and I almost got there. Then the boat flooded. Fortunately there was some safety people there that kept me from drowning. And anyway, life goes on. A couple a week later, we get some cops calling, of course, because some teenagers had reeled in a torso. They were at the Fraser River fishing, just fishing, yeah, and they reeled in a torso, and so they heard we were shooting upstream and they found us. They had told a bunch of tabloids that we had done this, and so it was all over the acquire all these things. And we didn't get busted. We got kind of severely reprimanded. Turns out my mom knew the corner got away. But yeah, it's always who you know. It's always yeah, isn't it true? So yeah, that was just one of many moments on that film.
Speaker 1: Hey Todd, tell me what you know about the UFO phenomenon. Are you a student of it? Because you've created aliens? Do you pay attention to it and to what's going on in the with the Congress and all that stuff, or do you keep your distance from it? What's your take.
Speaker 3: That's a great question, which I've actually been thinking about a lot after listening to your guys' shows, which, by the way, I think your show is great. I I'm kind of one of these people that it really has to be in front of me to believe it. I'm not like a religious person that believes in some invisible entity or anything. I'm spiritual, but I feel things. I might believe it more, but I don't this kind of stuff. I feel like I need to be very objective because people always come to me with stuff, and I'm supposed to spurt it out in a variety of flavors aliens. There's certainly a lot of compelling stuff, especially lately, and I saw some of that stuff with the pilot, the conversation. I remember those guys coming through the production office.
Speaker 1: So you actually can vouch for these guys coming to see us at the Dark Sky.
Speaker 3: I remember something really weird happen, and of course remember us reshooting all that Ganglion stuff, and that confused me forever. But I was also I don't know everything that's going to go on at NBC, And then listening to your guys' stories, Brent, you and I talking a few times going through shit. I've participated in some other shadowy stuff, just being a makeup effects guys to disguise Michael Jackson quite a bit, just going out and world, and so that kind of got me involved in disguising other people that I kind of wonder about.
Speaker 2: And so when you say disguising, go back to Michael Jackson. So Michael Jackson, famous celebrity, wants to go out in public, and you give him a complete new identity.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Actually, me and Steve Johnson, who was going to be our other guest tonight, he and I did it. We got hired. We started a little studio after the whole Predator thing and a bunch of other things that kind of shifted us in a new direction. So we started doing Smooth Criminal. One of their producers came to us and said, hey, Michael likes you guys, and he does this with other makeup effects people. Because we're kind of sort of still fresh back then, he said could you do him some stuff? And so we started engaging with Michael's personal handlers and Michael. We stole a face cast from Rick Baker. We started doing different face is Michael. He always wanted to be African American, so we started doing a few different African American faces, just different looks. At one point I went to Michael and I said, I think we could make a really good disguise if we make you white. And he looks at me and he goes, I don't know if I can get the walk down. It's the funniest damn moment. But he was a sweetheart. He was such a nice guy. I personally, I think you need.
Speaker 1: To do the rest of our podcast in his voice.
Speaker 3: No, probably, But Michael was a he was a jumped. He was one of the best persons I've ever worked with.
Speaker 1: Just to drive back to this, if you're challenged constantly to create new, interesting alien creatures, if you will, one of the things that we see a lot, and it's certainly true in the Star Trek universe, most aliens, if you will, look kind of humanoid, because you got to have actors that are humans to play them, and so you end up with the people that have one nose and one mouth, two ears.
Speaker 3: You usually have a piece of sushi right here.
Speaker 1: But two wise, two arms, two legs right And have you ever given that some thought is that part of do you think that could be common in the universe? That's not just describing human beings, but it could be a kind of an archetype. The humanoid might be just something that evolution spews up on other planets from time to time. Are there other human beings out there, for example, or humanoids rather in your view, because that's just something that works. What's your take on that?
Speaker 3: There's some good questions. I believe that you just said that evolution is the great designer. That's just my belief. I don't believe that there's a invisible spirit out there that's sketching it out, or many iterations of the God, et cetera, trying to offend. It's just my situation, my thoughts. I've certainly seen some weird shit, which makes me definitely wonder, you know, between art and science. You know, maybe there is the joining of God. I don't know. I haven't seen it. I haven't been there. I've been there a little bit, but I think it's like you said, it's the evolutionary process over millions of years. Like a river, a river is not a straight line. It keeps bumping into something, turning bumping into something turning. So in some sense it feels like the two leg, two arm design basic works pretty well. We can walk, we can run, we can jump, we can sit, but we got hands to grab things. So I think in some senses that design works pretty well. It's tempting to continue to do it, not just because we can shove Doug Jones in there, but also it's just what the human is. We've only evolved so far. In my ears, I've actually seen invisible stuff that's actually invisible. I've seen all sorts of creatures with different leg formats, like squids and Michael Rooker and octopus of course jellyfish. There is a huge spectrum of design that to me feels like it's there for a reason. Is there because they've been trying it for so many millions of years. They kept hitting something, resisting and moving to something better, back and forth. Feels like we're still evolving in the open.
Speaker 1: I mentioned the Big Four, which are grays, which we've already talked about. You designed a version of the grays for us, but the other four are mantids and Nordics and reptilians. So just as I bet you've designed some things like that. But if someone were to come to you right now and go, Okay, here's the thing we want the Big Four and they're all in a spaceship together and they're talking to each other, would you a try to just create something fresh and original from your own head or would you be start reading up on them and what the witness accounts say about it. So how would you approach that? Would you say, I need since these people are describing these things as real things, my job is do you get close to that? Or would you say screw that, this is Hollywood. I'm going to make whatever works best for the movie. How would you take that on?
Speaker 3: I'd probably call you first, both you guys, give you some encyclopedia hits. I'm serious. Like what I mentioned before, it's like the design void, much like a writer's quest into breaking story. It's lovely, No, it's you kind of have to take what you know of the environs, read the room of what people are expecting, because there's always a certain level of that. And then I think also doing so that's research, like talking to some people like you guys would be amazing for that. But also I do a lot of looking around on the web, just to see what's out there. We reference stuff we've done before, we reference with the creatives and the film want to see or what they think it's near. And then I think we kind of do a version of the second part, which is say fuck at all, because sometimes the strangest things will fall down from the skies and you'll have a design that's fresh and unique for the story. It's tricky. It's a little when you guys write a scene or a script or a story or something like that, trying to design the characters in dialogue and actions and stuff like that. No fat productions, right, You want every piece to play a part. So I kind of do that in design, and I want to make sure that I'm designing this stuff right now, and it's throughout the script. And I don't know how much this monster is in the writer's head, but it seems like a lot because he keeps referencing his back or his gnarly hands or his ripped open skin throughout this script, just little teasers, building blocks. So I definitely want to make sure that those those items are in there too.
Speaker 1: So hey, Brent, we're going to have to ask the question of this man.
Speaker 3: How much do I look at you talk about JR. Geeger because he's always a big part of this. Baby.
Speaker 1: Listen, here's the thing, because this is something that Brent and I have spent a long time on this this podcast talking about, and I'm glad to hear that you've heard a few of the episodes. So you know, because you were at Dark Skis and also because you're a podcast listener, that we were approached by someone who claimed to be from the Office of Naval Intelligence and was offering us some kind of deal to incorporate material into Dark Skies as a form of slow drip disclosure. So question, have you ever in your career been approached by anybody who has government authority to work with the government or to help the government, or be a part of anything the government is doing in terms of preparing the public for accepting the reality that we are not alone.
Speaker 3: Every part of that until you ask that last accepting the reality if we're not alone as a yes.
Speaker 1: Let's go for the yes part. Expand on that, then what can you share with this because I think what we're trying to understand is we have been saying there's a relationship between Hollywood and some of these issues and anything that you can shed light on about that would be very helpful to us. As we call this an active investigation, which means when we get a guy like you on screen, we say, what do you know? So tell us what you know.
Speaker 2: And just to preface something, our active investigation has already turned up one director who was approached by a similar deal and no, no, we're talking about Brett Leonard and who did lawnmower Man And if you haven't heard that episode, you should check it out. But the idea is that we have enough evidence, anecdotal and even empirical now to say that there is some sort of a relationship going all the way back into the fifties between the government and Hollywood with regards to UFOs. But we also know that extends in other areas. Right if you look at a movie like Ourgo, right, look at the story behind Ourgo, the government and Hollywood work together, So we know that relationship exists. And I guess, based on things you and I have spoken about, I find it interesting that you may have had a relationship that was tangential to what we have or what someone was trying to make with us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I was actually going to bring up ourgo, so hopefully your viewers listeners know about the story. This was a during the Iranian one of the many revolutions. But this is back I think the seventies seventy nine, and so they broke into the US embassy in Tehran and broke everything, stole files, burn shit, abducted people. It was horrific and a small pile of the American people in the embassy trucked out of the back door just by fortune right before they got caught and went to the Canadian embassy and where they hid for a period of time in several weeks. Meanwhile, Ben Fleck, who is basically the lead character in the movie, I would recommend reading the book. Their book kind of gets into a better but movie's good too. He plays this lead investigator who is in one of these kind of shadowy groups. He goes to Hollywood and seize this gentleman by the name of John Chambers. John Chambers is the Oscar winner for Planet of the Apes, the original nineteen sixty eight movie, and he did he was the early leader prosthetic effects. He had also done a lot of disguise work. He actually had he was a military guy. I think he was eighty or was he Marines. I'll look it up. But he was a military guy and he had actually been well known. He was contracted to make the CIA's first disguise kid. He had remember aesthetics in a little box. I'll see if I could find you a photo of it. But Chambers was one of a kind. In the movie, he's played by John Goodman, which is perfect because he was a big, very joyful, bouncy guy. But you could tell Chambers was He's either fucking with you behind the scenes, or some mills is going on. There's rumors that he was involved in making some big Foots. Chambers legends go on forever. He's no longer with us. I knew a lot of people that knew him very well. So in Argo, they pretty much just lay it out for you. We have a secret Hollywood group who helps us, and so there's a number of these that are out there. If you ever wonder why do some movies get such a selection of military gag for their film, there's usually someone behind the scenes that's making a deal with the military. Let me read your script, make sure it doesn't make us look like assholes, and we'll figure out a way that we can help you, and we'll bring you a bunch of actual military people too, if you like. So these things do go on since World War Two. If you recall, there's another great book called Five Came Back. Not the movie because that movie sucks, but the book, and it's all about John Ford. It's all about blanking a bunch of folks that were in military units.
Speaker 2: John Houston, John Houston.
Speaker 3: John Houston. Yeah, the men, the real men, if you recall, they all came back from various departments, whatever you want to call them, and they got right installed into the studios Fox, MGT, Warner.
Speaker 2: So they went right from war into Hollywood, right, Yeah, And if you ever prepared them for Hollywood, yeah, you think.
Speaker 3: About especially not maybe recently, but in the not so distant past. Going to set was like packing to go for war. You got to have your kid, you got to have all your shit. You're going to be away from base. The food sucks. It's like camping. It's as hard, if not harder. In many cases. Obviously, these guys are getting reality on them, but it is a grind sometimes to make a movie. And you'll notice that the movies are organized by call sheets, production reports, all of these things that kind of came right out of war organization. Interesting. Yeah, it's trippy, So there is definitely a connection. I've been in a couple of movies where I've overheard some people. I'm suspicious now that I've learned this, and so I have an eye on everything. And some movies are are we fucking making this movie? It's usually because it's a military thing. It's probably propaganda. What's the biggest propaganda machine out there? It's cinema, it's TV.
Speaker 1: Have you personally ever worked on You mentioned that there were other organizations that seem to coalesce around these kind of issues. Have you ever worked with one of them to assist the government? And if so, what were.
Speaker 3: You doing and what were the other people doing there? I really like your guys beards. I'm really just how good you look after all these years.
Speaker 1: You're a charming guy. But here's the thing that we've been saying in our We say in our show that we're bearing witness because there's a giant mosaic of contact that's been put together over these decades since nineteen forty seven.
Speaker 3: And then we.
Speaker 1: Don't have the entire picture ourselves, but we have a piece of the picture in that mosaic. We have that one piece, and if enough of those pieces of the jigs saw puzzle come together, suddenly you've got the full picture. So what's your piece of the jigsaw puzzle?
Speaker 3: For us? There's so much I can't talk about.
Speaker 1: And just you can't talk about Why not? If you can't talk about it, fine, but why can't you talk about it?
Speaker 3: Meet me at Brand's house someday we'll put away. There's a whole network out there that's watching us and listening to us. It's been a few years for me, but they're still around. It's not this kind of powerless, silent group. We exist in a world that is per our ability to consume it. I'm not one that's witnessed a bunch of real aliens running around or anything like that, at least I don't think so. But I also I've had some odd people come to my office because we're masters of facts. We do weird shit. And like I said, back when I was doing more disguise stuff, there was a couple of people that can't through that I don't really know what it was about, and they told me that I shouldn't know about it. And that kind of so I in some ways I became not trying to compare myself to the great John Chambers, but we did similar things. And there's some groups out there that they're not dangerous, they're actually helping, not just the US, but other countries. A lot of countries do this stuff.
Speaker 1: There's people that came around.
Speaker 3: What did they want you to do? Disguise them? Oh, I see, yeah, Like I was doing this Jamie Kennedy show called the Jamie Kennedy Experiment for a while, and of course Michael and so we started learning something about disguising that was different than movie makeup, and it's things like when we're walking down the street, we don't really study people that well, so you can kind of get away with shit, so you can make them fast. And with Jamie we learned not only did they not look at you, but we can get away with sweat was actually a good idea. Making people a little shinier, making that natural feel as opposed to cameras and film stocks have changed over the years, of course, high death and everything. So we've done makeups for camera over the years that are just they don't look real. Now we're an environment that it's like an eyebrows out of whack or something like that. Sometimes that actually does offend the eyeball. So there's a bit of an odd route to figure out what disguise is and what the whole point of trying to fool someone. So we got pretty good at that, and we're a shot that works fast. And I've just recalled a couple of things going through. What was that and what are we doing? And it's just our crazy business.
Speaker 1: You've heard our story. Okay, you were there at the time. What do you think happened to.
Speaker 3: Us when it happened? I honestly don't remember if I witnessed them going into your office or not. I do remember. I think it was two guys. I wasn't at the pool party, so I didn't get any of that.
Speaker 1: But I'm probably still holding a grudge about that.
Speaker 3: We meant, I did bred.
Speaker 1: I thought you were sending the invite. And do you think because this is what people ask us, and you know, you're an experienced guy, You've talked to people. People ask us, do you think that they were really who they said they were? People from Office of Naval Intelligence or from the intelligence agencies, or do you think that they and were they on the level or were they trying to disinform you or were they something else entirely? Were they just trying to goof on us? What would your take be?
Speaker 3: Some of this is going to go to the fog of brain. But because I don't, all I remember is something happened, because there was a bit of a excitement, you know, enough of that that you know, everybody on set gossips, right, and so there was enough excitement for me to kind of hear what And I seem to recall seeing these guys in the production office. We were in North Hollywood off Laurel Canyon, was it, yes, Caddy corner to four taco shops in.
Speaker 1: A former porn warehouse.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, there you go.
Speaker 3: So I just remember back then just being everything's going on? What was that? Okay? Next? And then when you guys started talking about it, I think, Brent, you and I had met in person a couple of years ago, and you had started bringing this up, and it kind of rattled my brain because first I was like, was I at that party? I don't think so.
Speaker 1: And I hate to play the report here, but that's in my blood. That's what I was trained at Okay, I understand, well, I understand that you're in some distance and I get that, and I'm not going to try to push me on that, but I would like you describe for us why you feel it's important to maintain that distance. In other words, you could just say, hey, Bryce, Brent, let me just tell you the way it's all gone down for me.
Speaker 3: But you're not.
Speaker 1: You're choosing not to do that, So tell me why you feel that you still need to choose not to do that. What is preventing you from what we would call full disclosure.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of people that were that I worked with, and I don't want to expose some you probably know, so that's first and foremost. It's I do a lot of weird shit, and my entire life doesn't sound real from it could go on on. I think, Brandon, you know some of this stuff. It's just for whatever reason, I'm just speacon of craziest stuff. But it's not like I'm crazy, It's just things happen to me. And as far as is that kind of stuff, not only am I worried about exposing somebody, but nobody's don't believe any It's like I can tell you blow of burd blow by blow some shit that I don't even believe.
Speaker 1: One of the most popular episodes we've done is something called All about the WU, where Brent told something I love that stories from his life and thing's happened to us. So you just said things just happened to me, crazy things just happened. Okay, give us one example of give us your WU story. What has happened to you where you went? Huh, that doesn't quite me. Go yeah, give us an example of one of those.
Speaker 3: That was murdered once and it didn't seem to take.
Speaker 1: I guess not here you are here, I think you better explain that one.
Speaker 3: What happened? Well, I was poisoned once, not very well, and I died. I went to the light and I'm not bullshitting and all this really happened. And actually there's been a lot of NDE near death experience people that just over the years I've bumped into, and for whatever reason, we start talking about these moments, and it's so trippy because the classic going to the light story seems to be with many of them. My experience was I just faded out. I was at home. I had worked too much, my roommate had given me a bunch of pills. I thought they were for my gout. And she left, and the little time passes, and I started feeling really weird, and I could tell that the lights were dimming in my place, and I just picked up a sketch pad. I started writing, if anybody finds me, that's what's going on. I'm starting to feel like I want to go to sleep. And then I kept writing over and over again, just to keep me going, don't go to sleep, don't go to sleep, don't go to sleep, don't go to sleep, and just forever, and eventually everything went black, and then a portal of light, whatever you want to call it, Caroline, it was up there. And something must have happened because I woke up in a different place and I had fluids all over me. I guess I had ejected it out or something like that, but fucking hell of the hangover. The bathroom was on the second floor. I couldn't get to it, I couldn't move. Eventually I found enough energy to crawl on my hands and knees of marble staircases. And so, yeah, there's a lot past that, but that was fifteen years ago. In March that happened, and I do have evidence now of what I think happened, which I don't think we need to get into here.
Speaker 1: What does your near death experience lead you to believe about the nature of reality?
Speaker 3: That's why I thought your WU episode was so interesting because I thought it was fascinating. I think it was that episode, but I thought it was fascinating that you've strung all the paranormal and all this stuff in many ways, like this invisible mycilium that's just pieces of us over the years, Brandon, you and I have mind melded on stuff, and there's other people that you just feel the mycilia a little bit, I think, and I always think the best way to deal with that is to not deal with it. Just don't even think about it, because how do we know we're a bunch of stupid Homo sapiens only dragging our knuckles just a few weeks ago. How do we know that all these pieces of information are correct? Because there's so much being thrown at humans right now, it has to be some other feeling. So what the fuck is that is that? God? I don't think it is I think it's energy. I think it's us artists that are really good, writers that are really good I think brand new and I have hit on this a few times. Bryce, We've never had this conversation come on up, but it's something that I've been relearning with my own art is for it to really be good, you need to crawl into it a bunch. You need to, Brent. Your writings are always so dimensional and fucking weird, and just the ideas that you are able to generate with some of your stories are mind boggling different directions I would have never thought, at least I didn't think at the time. And so that whole ability to crawl into your painting or you're drawing or you're writing in ways that are like beyond being interrupted by present society, that are really feeling it. That's true art. That's love, I think, and I think that kind of is our by Cilia. Interesting.
Speaker 1: Hey, Brent, we got to take this thing home. So let's each ask in the question we've been waiting to ask. Let's end up with a question at peace. Why don't you go first?
Speaker 2: Here's my question? Oh boy, you mentioned friend and partner at one point, somebody I also know Steve Johnson and back in the nineties. I believe he was asked to come and be part of the alien Autopsy show that happened, to come in and actually validate is this real or is this not real?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I think it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So my question is you know him. I don't know the circumstances under which he was invited to do that, but that to me is as another example of how whether it's validating an alien for a TV show or just validating anything at all using your expertise as a special effects person. Is this something that happens regularly in the business, and not just with the government, but that you are asked not to make something that is fake, but to look at something that might be fake and say whether it's real, which is a whole different use of your expertise.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Now, that's that is the unspoken uniqueness of people that have been doing this kind of design, doing effects like this, knowing materials, knowing how to fake human skin and stuff like that. Yeah, that's definitely something that I've been approached a few times to suss out if something is believable or realistic.
Speaker 2: And does that I'm interested in that as a skill in the world that we live in where now everything that happens on the Internet is immediately deemed AI or faith or right, And so what do you how where do you see this going?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Someone like yourself can probably look at something and determine using all the skills you have whether something is real or not real. But for everybody else that doesn't have access to todd Masters.
Speaker 3: Yeah, where are we?
Speaker 2: Where are we in terms of determining what's real? Because we're on the verge of potential disclosure. All these new pieces of media and things are coming out, and who knows if they're going to trot out an alien at some point. How do we discern what's real and what's not real? What's the best advice you can give us?
Speaker 3: You're right, today's AI is uncanny, and I even get fooled by it. And I thought I was pretty good with my four eyes. But it's coming so fast and so hard and so good. It's really hard to defend yourself as a human being. I think that this stuff is dangerous, but it's all hyper sensationalized, that even the simplest lower thing is fake and people think it's better than the really crazy one. It's just it's near impossible. I personally think that we got to Maybe the toothpaste might already be out, but it feels like we need to reel this back.
Speaker 1: Here's my finale for you. One of the things Brent and I have realized over the years is that when you start to create TV series about UFO and aliens or whatever, or just work in Hollywood talking about these things, people come up to you and they go, are you the guy that? And then they tell you their story. For me, I've had plumbers come up to me and tell me harrowing stories about when they were younger and things like that. And I remember when I was working with stan Lee. Stan didn't actually believe in aliens. He loved to write about aliens, but he didn't actually believe that the Flying Saucers or UFOs were aliens. But he did say that his guy who ran the bullpen for him. I believe his name was Saul Brodsky. Help I got that right. But he told in detail a story about Saul driving to Las Vegas and seeing a light in the back of the card just like Spielberg, and then this thing goes over his car and it's right in front of him, and it's clearly a craft and it's pacing him and so Stan told me that story. So my question for you is, you've had a lot of time on a lot of projects. You're standing around sets. You obviously have an open mind to the creature feature aspect of what's going on with the phenomenon. What has anyone in Hollywood ever told you one of their personal stories that is about the UFO UAP phenomenon, And hopefully they have and you can tell that to us. But regardless, when you comprehend and think about this whole large project that we're involved in, however it turns out, what do you think personally is going to be the final explanation or at least the early explanation for the UFO UAP phenomena. What do you think we're going to learn in the days ahead.
Speaker 3: I think this actually comes from one of your episodes, perhaps, but I seem to think that this whole alternate universe, quantum, all that stuff plays a part. Maybe that's how the maicilium is multi dimensional. I used to do a show called Fringe, which was all about alternate realities, and the writers on that show had a lot of fun with all aspects of that. But around that time, there was also what the bleep do we know? And other kind of alternate explainers. Man, that's such fascinating. There's a point where I got to go back to work and I can't really go down those rabbit holes. So that's kind of where I'm at with the belief of it.
Speaker 1: Listen, Todd, you and I haven't seen each other in a few years. We did see each other at some conference or something some hotel ev I remember, not a few years back. Yeah, yeah, but it's always great to see you again. Thank you for your quality, wonderful work on Dark Skies, helping to bring our fever dream to life. That's always been a favorite memory for me. And thanks to your vouching. Thank you for vouching for Toby Hooper because he's not here a vouch for himself, and to hear another person who knew him and state the same thing Brent said is not something small, it's something big because of what's going on right now.
Speaker 3: So thank you. Yeah, Toby's a hero of mine, and I just he's not a like I said, he's not a faker, he's not a bullshit or I missed that guy, all right, Todd.
Speaker 2: Everything Bryce said times two. Thank you so much. It's been really fun and I look forward to having one of our own private conversations later.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sounds good. Guys.
Speaker 4: Okay, yank you, Okay, watch these guys b bye.
Speaker 1: Sound Light and Frequency is an iHeart podcast produced by Stellar Productions. It's executive produced by Nick Johnson and for Stellar Jackie's Abel. Our show's music was written by Anna Stuff and Hamilton Lighthouser, and your hosts and executive producers are Bryce Abel, That's Me and Brent Friedman Watch the Skies