Speaker 1: I feel like people when their fathers are in prison, like give them that respect or anything. But I just feel like my dad is a good person and I get all my inspiration from him, because like he's a good father.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Hey, it's fifty cents and I'm Charlie Webster.
Speaker 4: This is Survive and El Chapel, twins who brought down a druglord Season two.
Speaker 5: At forty years old, Jane Peter were now free men in the US, something that hadn't been since they escaped to Mexico as fugitives nearly twenty years before they were united with their families that they started new life, But as seems to be the case with the twins, the consequences of their decision are.
Speaker 2: Always waiting around the corner.
Speaker 5: Just as Je and Peter were starting to get used to another version of their life, everything changed again.
Speaker 4: Even though the al Chapo case was well and truly done, the government hadn't forgotten about the Flora's family.
Speaker 3: In April of.
Speaker 4: Twenty twenty one, the federal governments brought criminal charges against Valenviv for money laundering.
Speaker 5: SWAT teams arrived at their home, searching the house and took valance of a way.
Speaker 2: They were so aggressive. They even cuffed some of the.
Speaker 4: Children with the permission of their parents. And many conversations over the phone with the kids, I asked if they wanted to share what things have been like for them on tape.
Speaker 3: I got them all together and we sat on the floor and started talking.
Speaker 6: If you of us kind of sat and spoke life, it's been alltogether.
Speaker 7: You want to talk about this, I think for me, just especially like I me that happened recently, I got like a PTS on it.
Speaker 8: I don't like, I didn't want them to like see me panic and be scared, and so I was trying to be like, everything's gonna be okay.
Speaker 2: You know, it's just really difficult.
Speaker 9: They just like came in handcuffed everybody but let me in her and she's been before and so I just kind of try to listen to her. So that it was hard for me becauldn't see my mom be a treat of that.
Speaker 8: Ahead, and.
Speaker 9: Especially my dad being handcuffed. I think I will see that again, and I just wait, don't be excuing my hand wake when he was in a visit pak haircuffed.
Speaker 3: That's Pete's children talking their son.
Speaker 4: The one who was born the first year Pete was in prison, and the youngest daughter who you heard in the last episode, as well as Pete's oldest She lived with Pete and Viv on and off in Mexico. Unlike the other children, she knew some of what their life was like before prison. We won't name any of the children or give any details about them so as to protect their identities. We'll pick back up with Pete and Viv's son and youngest daughter talking about what it was like to visit their dad in prison.
Speaker 10: Was he always handcuffed when you when they opened the door, they would take it off it.
Speaker 11: There those specific procedures like that you read this rule where we could only hug for like thirty seconds and then we got this day like like far apart from each other, so it would be on the back of the wall, and then we would be more out fourt him because there's like sap issues. He couldn't get to the vending machines because remember it's like a box room with two vending machines and a couple of chairs and probably like three tubes, and then the guard, so they wouldn't be able to go by the vending machine. Or by the microwave or and then.
Speaker 12: It was just like it to feel like because.
Speaker 11: Going like we move on to a lot of visiting rooms, and I remember that one that it was just like I was so uncomfortable the whole time to go visit. And I remember your tug he didn't have his uniform on like this one day and I never saw him like his uniform on and if she was just wearing a white plain T shirt and his grace wits, and I will even have been like, oh my gosh, yeah that was like old who normal, Like we had to live with these specific procedures of taking off her shoes alright, no hair our boats in our hair cutting up in the little thing, huh box.
Speaker 1: I used to know I was like the luckiest person because I never had to take my shoes off. I think it was because I was probably youngest, so I never had to take them off and put them back on. But as I got older, I how to do it.
Speaker 11: I remember like every weekend of the guards to be like, we'll see you next weekend and we'll make sure remind them to fill up with any more shoes.
Speaker 2: I feel like a lot of time.
Speaker 13: Tried to fit in like months of parenting into like a week and visit for like eight hours and less than that and so a lot of time. Like it was just like a constant like lecture and it was just like constant real life.
Speaker 2: In real life. He was just trying like make up like what he was there for.
Speaker 12: But I think with us too.
Speaker 8: I think with Bell and I I think that Peena and Jr.
Speaker 11: Are really guilty of just trying to just teach us something just or make us feel better, being these positive people in our lives even though kind of everything is crumbling, you know, right under us, but you know, just trying to be that positive reinforcement in our lives even though they're sitting there in prison. And I think that's where we see that they decision that they made. They went in there with their whole hearts and they knew that this was going to be the best thing for us.
Speaker 7: So I remember.
Speaker 11: I would write stuff, stuff down and then school notebook too. If I thought about something to tell my dad, then I would like rip it out on my out book and I would bring it to go see him because I was like, because I would.
Speaker 4: Forget Pete's daughter had so much to talk to her dad about that. She kept a list, she wrote everything down so that she wouldn't forget. She'd have to wait a whole week between visits, and even though Pete was able to call home during the week, he only had a three hundred minute phone allowance each month.
Speaker 11: If I remember something on Monday, I was like, oh my gosh, he's like enough minutes to talk about this conversation. Because we got only three hundred minutes each month, especially in like Novembers, it would be hard because all my siblings for days written November, so then it would be like, what five minutes each week? Yeah, it was like at least five minutes each week.
Speaker 4: Three hundred minutes sounds like a lot, but when you break it down, it's sixteen minutes a week. That's less than ten minutes a day, and that time has to be split between the entire family. To make it even harder, standard policy in federal US prisons limits phone calls to a maximum of fifteen minutes at a time, and you have to wait at least an hour between calls.
Speaker 11: I remember very well my dad would say, I'm going to give you an off day. I was like, what is that? Because I knew that he felt guilty because we were there every single weekend. But then I remember I was like, no, I want to go and see you. Like I would skip every friend's birthday party and be like no, I'm sorry, I can't, or i would skip my sports or my dance events because I'm like, no, I'm going to go see my dad, like this is my time. And as much as like you know how like people say like self care night or like alone time, like him just talking to us, playing playing like with us, or like watching movies or anything, was like a nice unload the whole because the family felt complete every time we sat down together. And even though it wasn't a way that we wanted to be together, we were still seeing.
Speaker 13: It was always like a weird transition to go from like being with our mom like in a completely different place and like going to see my dad, and it was like always like really living like two separate worlds. And I think sometimes, especially as we were getting older, it was a lot harder because we were like, oh, like we have friends, we want like do you think there was like but we had to be there, like was our dad, So I think that battle like, yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Still choose to come.
Speaker 13: And I remember Mom, She's like, you are going to see your dad. That's your dad, and like you have to like spend time with like the sick his time with you. Guys.
Speaker 4: Having friends was a continuous problem. There was always a risk that through the children, the twins' identity and location could be exposed. Pete's youngest daughter was once forced to leave her school almost immediately when the family found out that her friend's dad worked as one of Pete's prison guards. The kids could never get too close to anyone.
Speaker 11: I would tell people like I moved from somewhere and they'll be like why, I don't know. My parents are very adventurous, you know. And then when I say that I'm like born there, they're like, how why are you here?
Speaker 1: Then?
Speaker 11: Oh, then I had to like figure out something.
Speaker 13: I had this like responsibility to keep the secret. I thought when I was sing her was like protecting my family. Something bad would happened, and so is always like that.
Speaker 14: Had to lie a lot, feel that's a lie.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I just remember lying to last school, like where's your dad, Like he's doing work in California?
Speaker 2: Like a story.
Speaker 11: I remember we were in a store and this guy came up to us and asked us a question randomly. He's like, where's where's your dad? And I would be like, he's in New York or now he's a construction worker, and just yeah, yeah, yeah, that's that's where he is. We always had to get like we had to make sure that our story is kind of like connect because if one said something different, we all had to make sure that it matches because she'll get like suspicions.
Speaker 2: Was getting nervous.
Speaker 13: I said, like, my dad lives somewhere, and then someone happened to have lived somewhere, some boiler lives and they asked me about it, and I'd be like, oh, like I actually have no idea what the neighborhood is called.
Speaker 10: I think that when he switched schools, it was I feel difficult in some way, but you couldn't find a real friend because you're gonna keep switching and switching, so you're never gonna find that real friend.
Speaker 11: I feel like, even if we did have friends and we created this friendship, I part of me knew that is we're gonna have to like ghost them somehow, some way.
Speaker 13: And you guys like that for like all of us, like we all were like I would hate talking to parents. Even now, I hate talking to parents. They asked too many questions.
Speaker 9: My old school uh, I was there for like the long time, and then when we had to leave, I just like didn't like doing because I've changed schools, I think four times already. I just don't feel doing that again.
Speaker 3: That's Jay's youngest son.
Speaker 4: Jay and Val have two sons, and the youngest was less than two months old when Jay went into prison.
Speaker 3: The other just a toddler.
Speaker 15: Baby the kit there.
Speaker 12: I have said, my love, have we paid call?
Speaker 16: You have a lot of charge for this call.
Speaker 11: This car is from.
Speaker 16: And in a fit away prison.
Speaker 2: He Laddy, thank you for your books?
Speaker 8: Tell you.
Speaker 4: Baby?
Speaker 17: Hey, love?
Speaker 12: How are you all?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 17: He wants to say something.
Speaker 13: Okay, thank you.
Speaker 2: You're welcome.
Speaker 1: Daddy.
Speaker 18: How are you mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 13: House cool?
Speaker 2: Daddy?
Speaker 8: You like daddy?
Speaker 2: I love you. I love him?
Speaker 16: If you're dad, Hello, baby, baby's funny lovely?
Speaker 19: Don't for good?
Speaker 13: Long? Oh?
Speaker 12: Okay, so hi daddy, come o, Hi Hi Danny, Hi dud.
Speaker 13: Hi daddy, Hi Davy.
Speaker 18: I love you.
Speaker 8: Oh yes, I love you.
Speaker 4: Jay's youngest didn't even know his own father's real name until he got out of prison when prison officers would use Jay's initials m F. Margarito Flores, his youngest had no idea what they meant.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I remember the officer would say, like when we would enter the visit, enter the prison, they would say his name. I was like, why is Why is m F. I was really confused, and he was like, it's just a name that they gave me when I entered. So I just didn't really think about that. I just remember him telling me that he was going to come home, and I didn't really understand. So I was kind of just like listening in shock.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can imagine, especially because you only.
Speaker 9: Know, Yeah, I only I knew him from there from the visit, So.
Speaker 17: Yeah, what was it like when he actually came home?
Speaker 18: You weren't used to.
Speaker 9: That, right, I just feel like really different.
Speaker 20: Yeah in what way?
Speaker 9: It's just like a way different envitoment and different people and him just being able to like like hug you or like just like be with you.
Speaker 4: It was a big adjustment when the twins came home. Jay's youngest son had never known his dad outside of prison, neither her Pete's youngest son and daughter.
Speaker 11: Then he came home, like I remember him just like what he was like mesme eyes by everything, and like I was teaching him how to use the phone, like how to do this, you know. And I was so like shocked that he was home that I would just want like I would look at him. I couldn't believe that he was someone. I just like remember him sitting on the couch and I was like, it's so weird, that's just not normal. I felt like he would he came and said can I And I just got like so freaked.
Speaker 2: Out because I was like, oh my gosh.
Speaker 12: I remember like when he first came home.
Speaker 13: I spent months just like wanting to like be there, like followed him around like anything.
Speaker 1: He got a hairbut togethers at a bike shop, and bikes were my dad's favorite thing. Now every day, like I go downstairs and then I see white out with his coffee, dark coffee, his daily devotional and his Bible with this on and his pjamas because it's a worry so it's crazy.
Speaker 2: I like I get to wake up to that.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 1: I just feel like my dad did like such a great job, even like in a small businesing room being washed by your guard. My mom and dad put a lot of time into us and uh and so to feel my aunt, they put a lot of time into their kids. That's like a resemblance in this family and how good of parents they are and they could put the most important things inside, but their kids are there just their main part of their family.
Speaker 6: I think it's also actually a lot about you all sat here, because I think your parents have done a great job, but it says a lot about you too.
Speaker 17: It's not just your parents, it's what's inside you too.
Speaker 6: The fact that you can sit and talk like this and it's like really mature.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think that, Like.
Speaker 16: It's not like we shouldn't forget about going to visit our parents every weekend, and it's something that we should continue to remember because it was part of our childhood and there are a lot of life lessons and memories and experiences that although it wasn't in the best environment, it was still important. There's a lot of parents out there who we probably were able to hear our dads more than other kids, and we were lucky enough to have like the experiences we had because we still had great times, like we would watch movies, we would play board games, and we would talk about like TV shows or music and what songs we were listening to and so or like how our school day was, and we should be thankful that we were able to have those because a lot of other children don't.
Speaker 3: I find it amazing that you're so like grateful for the you know.
Speaker 17: The way you're talking is like, you know, even what you just said, You're like, we're blessed to have that. Is there any any part of you, any of you do do you feel angry at all? And I think anger is okay, you know, it's not a bad thing, you know. I just wonder if any of you feel angry at all.
Speaker 18: I just like I'm I'm.
Speaker 1: Not angry with my dad ever did in this past, But I feel like I was angry for the time, but I feel like every moment was just like a blessing.
Speaker 2: But I will never be angry with my dad for something like that. How about you.
Speaker 16: I think during the time and during all those years, I was angry, and like I remember, I would cry every time, like every Sunday after when we have to leave. But like now reflecting back on it, I'm thankful because like it could be way worse. We have such like great connection to our parents, and we have so much love for each other, and I'm just thankful that.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I think like growing up like there probably was like a point where like I don't know, like I feel like when I was younger, I learned about everything.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like, oh, why would they do that?
Speaker 13: And I didn't really like understand at first, and like sometimes I angry, but I'm just feel like at least I have them.
Speaker 2: And it's just really changed things.
Speaker 13: Like you're grateful, what like at least like they're here.
Speaker 3: Are you glad they actually did what they did?
Speaker 14: Are you glad that they they did go to prison so that they don't live like what you've heard?
Speaker 13: Yeah, Like some just think like if they did it, like we all, could I be here. It's just like that really like changes it.
Speaker 9: Or if they don't turn themselves in and they have to be able, the police have to go get them and get they get caught one time, then for that it's just like life. Probably, So.
Speaker 4: Even though the twins are home, the kids have lived in fight and flight, their whole lives always on edge, in constant stress and fear. Living in this heightened state of trauma isn't something that just goes away overnight.
Speaker 13: It's like just hear the like doors like they're coming.
Speaker 3: You kind of almost listen out for sounds.
Speaker 13: Even like a ring on the door belt, and I like have gone like test some doorbell and just like walk up and I'm like, what are you doing?
Speaker 9: Where are you going to hide? I remember I was just like, so we'll be eatiot dinner at our table. We're like just being anywhere in the house and I hear a doorbell, and my mom and my dad was just like, they just don't go towards the door, just high and then they'll go look and see if feels anyone. And yeah, when I would go to my friend's house and so where they just go straight up and just open And I was like, I was so confused.
Speaker 13: Even I'm like, you're in the car, you see someone like a car following you for too long.
Speaker 1: So like like when my dad was in prison, all when we my mom will hear doorbell, all three of us would just look at each other and then we'll go and me and my sister would go. My mom would open it, and I'm being like a package delivered. And it's crazy because like we had to live through that anxiety.
Speaker 11: I feel like it ruined it kind of still ruined my relationship with like my friends now because I can't like have them come over and be like I have to like tell my frands, like, you know, my friend's coming over, what's your name gonna be? And you know, like just like kind of like stay on, like just don't.
Speaker 13: Talk about anything about our lives or like separating you from like getting super close to anyone because like there was a.
Speaker 12: Part that like you couldn't share.
Speaker 13: So I think that's why we're so close like as cousins and said once, I think after everything that we've been through, we still have like this paranoia in the back of our head.
Speaker 11: Just of everything. And a part of me feels like I'm a little prepared of if anything does happen again. But them being home, it's just like a little more like you gotta like comp down a little, you know. I think my dad being home, I could like you know, go to sleep at night, not that like I'm safe with him, and I could go to sleep knowing that my mom's asleep in the shoes okay, because he's hot.
Speaker 4: As for the twins, coming out of prison was a fresh start Finally they could be with their wives, their children, and each other. No more yelling through doors, no more communicating through wives, no more fifteen minute phone calls and visits monitored by guards.
Speaker 3: No more shackles. They were free.
Speaker 14: What was it like when you first saw Pete out of prison?
Speaker 2: What was the moment, Wow, we have been so much time in part that so nervous. It was emotional for.
Speaker 18: Sure, what kind of Americans Just like every type of like sadness, happiness. At the same time, I'm still a little bit shocked that the fact that we were actually back together again. It also was I felt like like there was a void for sure, and I think that hurt. The fact that, you know, I'm seeing my brother and I'm like, it's everything's still the same, but we're just a little bit different now. You know, twelve years I left them when I was twenty eight.
Speaker 2: You know, now I'm forty.
Speaker 3: It's like a lifetime twenty eight and forty.
Speaker 18: And I have those same memories of same thoughts, but I know that we lived two different lives and now we're not seeing things the same. You know, We've been through different situations and like even the fact that he has a son now, I mean right that he was a part of and that I wasn't.
Speaker 2: You know, I wasn't.
Speaker 18: I mean I got to see my nephew. But even that part right where just different things that could feel the void for sure, and that hurt me. It's something I'm never going to get back. Right, do you think do you think you just both really changed? I think I should get older. Everyone changes and it's simple, Like, well, it's not simple. I think that when you have a life partner, right and you're going old together, you guys are changing, and sometimes I think that could be a little bit hard.
Speaker 2: I realize that today.
Speaker 18: Like with my brother, because you're if you're growing together, you're growing together. You know, you guys are getting older and things change. Right, If your life partner is with you, then.
Speaker 2: They get it.
Speaker 18: But if they're not, now you're not the same person anymore. That's kind of hard to adjust, especially if you have expectations or or you know people to be a certain way. And I always say, like, I'm not the same person that went in prison. If I wasn't, then I failed. I feel like I'm more more mature. I think I'm a better man overall, definitely.
Speaker 2: A lot wiser.
Speaker 19: Jay has just he's grown into like everything a woman could possibly want in a man, I think when it comes to a husband, when it comes to a father, when it comes to a best friend. He's matured so much and he's learned, like he said, always through his hardships and always through struggles. I love the person that he is today and I love the person he was yesterday. But there's just something so different about him. And when Jay and Peter saw each other for the first time, I was there, and it was emotional for everybody, including our children, because we're so such a close knit family. But they were like kind of like looking at each other across the room at times, and I would catch them strangely like looking at each other and just trying to figure each other out.
Speaker 18: So you recall that, yes, I do recall that looking because I have saw my brillian zoom and of course anyone that does know us. In between me being home, there's a lot of arguments, a lot of arguments that didn't change. But seeing there was like almost like I'm seeing him be a father and a husband again, like something I haven't saw. And then were kind of seeing myself, and it was kind of like wow, a good feeling, like I got to see this again. I got to see my brother, I got to see myself. You know, my kids they don't even remember what it was like to see me and my brother.
Speaker 2: Together, so it was for my baby. It was a shocker.
Speaker 18: Like he was like, wow, you guys are twins, you know.
Speaker 14: Because you've never seen you two together. What was the first thing you did when you saw each other?
Speaker 18: So he was coming to the door the first the kids came, and I knew that he was kind of liking me behind because he was nervous. So the kids were running and saw me and were like, oh my god. And he was like making small steps almost like if you're going to see your wedding bread for the first time, that nervousness, that butterflies in your stomach. He looked different to me. I probably looked different him as well, right, And like we didn't say much. We whispered in each other, You're like, I love everything, and we just hugged each other tight and didn't say nothing, but just cried.
Speaker 2: And stood there.
Speaker 18: It was quiet, and I could hear everybody out being emotional, and I remember telling like just looking around, looking at everybody in tears and thinking, wow, you know, all the kids were crying in all of our family that was there.
Speaker 2: It was like it was so real, like to be able to hold.
Speaker 18: Them again and all we've been through and it's like, this is the moment we waited for a right for such a long time. And it was a feeling of fulfillment as well that you made it for sure, that we made it, that we were just there less a long time, just being there with the men and just no, it was a musher.
Speaker 4: Life after prison wasn't as simple as just picking up where they left off. That sentencing Judge Ruben Castillo said that the twins would always have a life sentence, that there wouldn't be a day that goes by that they wouldn't have to look over their shoulder. But it's not only the danger of if the cartel will come for them that makes adjusting to life after prison a challenge. Jay and Pte had to reinvent themselves once again. What does a normal life look like for people that have a past like the twins.
Speaker 18: So it's weirdly, even though I'm living this normal life, I can have normal friends, I can't normally think.
Speaker 12: I think that a lot of people that are normally just want to.
Speaker 2: They want to know your story. They want to know like everything about you.
Speaker 18: It makes it a little bit hard, like if I didn't know them before.
Speaker 2: It's just like.
Speaker 14: What do you say if somebody says what do you do? Because that's a real common question.
Speaker 18: Right now, I have a I have a job, so right now this is what I do, and what people say.
Speaker 2: That profession is going to be like oh this right, Like, okay, what brought you here?
Speaker 18: So I have a I have a script where I say, my wife's family lives here. What did you used to do real estate? So I'm not from here? Like, yeah, I just you know my wife's family, We just moved here.
Speaker 20: It must be hard because you've got to constantly edit yourself.
Speaker 2: I guess people can't even.
Speaker 18: Imagine the app life, right, And I heard even regular people who've been to prison kind of shy away from seeing those things and where you've been for the last ten years, like what you've been doing, It's like, wow, sometimes the easiest thing to do say I was in prison.
Speaker 4: Jay told me this great story about the first time he went to a bars is coming out of prison.
Speaker 3: He was with his nephew, his older brother, Armando's son.
Speaker 2: So that's a new experience for me.
Speaker 18: And we go to this bar, a bunch of young kids, you know, probably younger than twenty one college kids. So I'm like, I don't want to make it seem like I'm a chaperone, so I'm like just trying to fit in. And I look and I see that there's like these three guys and I'm like, oh my god, they just they've been to prison. I could tell how just their demeanor kind of stiff, kind of like they don't belong there. They're like in the young crowd. So I'm saying that gap between you know, they're going back to what they missed in my head. And I told my nephe I said, wow, look at those guys. You know they're convict. And he's like, get out of here. Why do you say that? And I was like, I could tell just by the demeanor, and he was like no, no, I'm like yeah, He's like, how would we know? I said, oh easy, I said, can I have three beers? Then they're standing there night Tapo. I said, excuse me, guy, I said, how long.
Speaker 2: You been home? And he's like excuse me. I said, how long you been home? He said, is that noticeable?
Speaker 18: I said yeah, he said, I've been home for a year. He's been home for eight months, and he's been home for a month, and I said yeah, I could tell.
Speaker 2: He's like, wow, how do you know?
Speaker 18: I said experience and he's like wow, Like I man, I mean, you're just making me see something. And I just ended up starting to talk to him, and I called my nephew over and said, hey, you know, this is so and so and so and so and so they just came home. And he's like, oh god, you know, and I said, it's just out of experience, but just tell me one thing. Do I seem off to you? He's like, no, not at all.
Speaker 2: I was like, okay, great, thank you.
Speaker 18: I'm doing good then, you know, because that was one of the one of the things we talked about the most, is was I going to be able to.
Speaker 19: Like like just fit in again and not feel uncomfortable or awkward or feel like you couldn't, you know, keep up with.
Speaker 18: What would to read a lot like I would know how to like use certain electronics through watching.
Speaker 2: Wired, you know, I would readwired or.
Speaker 18: Like these tech TV shows or whatever the cases, and sometimes about be like I'm having trouble and I'll be like, oh you could do this check how the fuck do you know?
Speaker 3: Did you have access to information?
Speaker 2: Like did you know what was going on?
Speaker 18: Well, thanks to my wife, I would literally I think I was like I had an eighty scriptions for magazine for magazines.
Speaker 3: Yeah, eighty subscriptions.
Speaker 21: Magazine, and it had like six of the major newspapers Chicago sometimes New York Daily News and just I would get all these newspapers.
Speaker 18: So I would look at everything, especially you know, it helped when when I was like down, it kept me.
Speaker 12: Yeah, And I would even like actually to.
Speaker 18: This day, if you're looking in phone, I actually try to keep up with all those magazines that I do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look Cosmopolitan.
Speaker 18: So I mean this is like I sign up at I if you look at at my magazines.
Speaker 20: Focus, news Week for Rolling Stone, Fortune to Trend, New York Magazine, New York Blame Bank Business, Rewired, Dos we Go, Board Car and Drive Fast Company, l Anity Fair, People, New York City.
Speaker 18: I never had a normal life, so people don't understand, like I never had a bank account. Money probably didn't fit in the bank, but I never had a bank account, so getting used to these things, and like, you know, I was able to.
Speaker 2: Take my kids to school with them.
Speaker 18: I attended, you know, my first parent teacher conferences. Then I'll tell you as intelligent that I think that I was, or what other people my team. I have no knowledge of what to do, or how to act or how to be because I'm so experienced with so many things in life, except for the simple things that people might take for granted an every day basis taking your kids to school, like going to.
Speaker 2: The bank, or how things work.
Speaker 18: I mean, I practice sending emails to teachers. I'm scared of the things that you do every day. She made me take the kids to the doctor by myself. I called her. I called her a hundred times, and I'm like this, you got this.
Speaker 2: She sent me to the bank one time by myself.
Speaker 12: Panic, like wait what?
Speaker 18: And I know I can't say no to her because I'm like it's I know this is a test.
Speaker 2: I know she's preparing me, and I don't want to let her down. And I'm learning.
Speaker 18: I'm learning still, you know, I know I have a lot cleaning to do and keeping things in order. Did I do ask her like how important you know, how important is just to do.
Speaker 2: Everything is really important?
Speaker 8: Right? Like?
Speaker 18: How important is is it for the kids close to be ironed all the time. I think even if it's like basketball, clothes's important. And so we had those conversations and it's like I realized what it took to be by herself for all those years. I see it and people might think, wow, it's obvious. It's the things that we take for granted every day that people don't realize that if you're able to take your kids to school, or you're able to come home early one day and pick them up and surprise them, those things matter because there's plenty of people around the way that don't get that change.
Speaker 4: Just as J and P were starting to get used to yet another new version of.
Speaker 3: Their life, everything changed again.
Speaker 12: When the Feds came to the house again. For me and for Viviana, it was.
Speaker 19: Scary, and.
Speaker 12: I think that the way that they came to the house was very just starting when I seen them surround my house, that they came in with the SWAT.
Speaker 2: Team and.
Speaker 12: Army garb and shields and helmets and AR fifteen's. I couldn't believe that they came and they you know, you're ready to move the door down. When I seen them coming, they were like just holding each other's shoulder, and it looked like a bunch of soldiers in front of my house, like if my kids are playing call of duty and they're marching up the street to come to the house. And I remember running to my son's room waking them up and telling them the Feds are here, the Feds are here.
Speaker 11: Get up.
Speaker 12: And we're talking about children that are not accustomed to this upbringing. They're not They were sheltered. We put our children in a bubble because we didn't want this. Can I tell that to affect them in any way? We didn't want them to path the ever like go through any of this. I ran down the stairs and I opened the door. I didn't want them to break it. And I just right away put my hands up and put my hands behind my back, and I think like I'm like, okay, I'm okay, I'm fine. You could take me now. And it wasn't until they walked into my house and they were.
Speaker 15: Got ar fifteens to my children and they coughted my son.
Speaker 12: And he's a minor. At that point, it's like as a mother, I think, like you just go to you're just going to like survival mode, and I feel like it just I don't remember kind of black chout, that kind of black out would happen.
Speaker 18: You know, This fucking team came from Vallerie and she fought them.
Speaker 2: They just looked at her shoulder. They mistreated her.
Speaker 12: You know, I just wanted them to not cough my son because he doesn't he doesn't know his life. He has no clue what this life consists of.
Speaker 8: When the fact came right, my had to spend two days in jail, and it was I didn't even care about anything, but I just didn't want to be with people. I was like so scared.
Speaker 2: So I asked the.
Speaker 8: Seol there and I asked him if he can.
Speaker 2: Put me in a room by.
Speaker 8: Myself because of the fear that I have just always lingering in my head. So they put me in a room by myself. I was just like watching everybody from the little window. This is so scary, Like never can I ever want to be in a position where I'm with other people that know who my family is. I remember, you know, Peter telling me through the years how he felt in like a prison cell and I was just looking around, like.
Speaker 2: I can't believe it's me.
Speaker 8: And then and then I took his advice and I remember like things he would tell me I was I did clean like the toilet set the scene then and then I see just like a little bit of my food.
Speaker 2: Just because.
Speaker 8: You know, I listened to, you know, everything that he went through with all my heart, everything that we would talk about on our weekends are you know, just try to be more than a wife, be his friend and just hear him out what it was like for him to.
Speaker 2: Be there.
Speaker 8: I just like grasp onto the little things that he would tell me that he did. And it was just an ugly time.
Speaker 11: I got sick from drinking w water. The water was terrible, and I was just like thinking to myself, like I was so worried about the kids.
Speaker 12: The reason why we chose to not tell our children who their dad was because we wanted to shelter them and we didn't want.
Speaker 18: Them to go through this.
Speaker 12: Because this is the same exact thing that Peter and Jay went through when they were kids. And the whole reason why they felt like they wanted to like end this and they wanted to like end this.
Speaker 15: Cycle, and they wanted.
Speaker 22: They didn't want their children to go through anything that they ever went through, and it's kind of like, why did we do this cyclic what we did to our kids?
Speaker 4: Surviving l Chapo The Twins Who Brought Down a Drug Lord? Season two is hosted by Curtis fifty cent Jackson and me Charlie Webster, produced by myself and Jackson mcclennan, Assistant producer and research report by Katy Hurtz, Edit and sound design by Nico Palella. Theme music and original score by Ryan Sorenson. It's executive produced by Curtis fifty.
Speaker 3: Cent Jackson and Me Charlie Webster.
Speaker 4: Curtis fifty Cent Jackson presents a Lionsgate Sound and G Unit audio production exclusively for iHeart Podcasts