Speaker 1: Will, I worked with Nicole Sullivan this.
Speaker 2: Week Oh isn't she the best?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: My gosh. So you worked with her on Kim Possible. Yeah, and you guys actually got to be in the room together, right you, John DiMaggio and Nicole and Nicole.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we were the three amigos for a long time.
Speaker 1: And you and I were together at a convention in Austin. And so when I got back to work on Monday, I told her, I said, by the way, I was in Austin this weekend with Wilfredell. And she just lit up. She was like, Oh, isn't he the best? That's so fun. Oh, and then she started telling me stories about the three of you guys, and you know, just how funny were and all of this stuff. And I was like, I know. And then she goes, how do you know Will?
Speaker 4: Well, Will and I were on Boy Meets World together, And I thought of you guys because she said you were on.
Speaker 1: Boy Meets World.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I said, finely.
Speaker 1: She said, to be fair, I've never seen Boy Meets World. She said, I'm a little I'm a little too old for it. She said, So I don't know anyone who's on that show. But I it was just it was so funny. But yeah, it was really great. I got to direct her on Vamporina and she was an absolute joy.
Speaker 2: So she's awesome. She's super funny and like you go back and you watch some of the old Mad TVs that she was on. Oh man, she was just killing. Yeah. She's very very funny and uh, super fun to work with. Yeah.
Speaker 5: So what was she on Kim Possible? I've never seen she was.
Speaker 2: She go, she's the main bad lady, and so she was Dracken, Draken's right hand, you know, who's supposed to be the sidekick, but it's actually running the show because because John DiMaggio's Drakeen is just such an idiot. And she was Oh god, she was just she was so funny. Yeah. So it was always because Christy Carlson Romano, who played Kim, was at school.
Speaker 1: They said she that's what Nicole said. Nicole said she was a teenager. So she was never with you guys.
Speaker 2: Never with us. She was always there. We'd occasionally phone patch with her, but rarely. And then Kim Possible might arguably be the show that I was on that had the greatest guest stars of all time that I never got a chance to be. I mean it was like Ricardo Montalbondjeane Smart, I mean, all these incredible people, Riders Strong.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say I did a few episodes, but I did them from New York remotely, so I was a loan in a room with no other actors and I never watched the show.
Speaker 2: So still yeah, yeah, Elliott Gould played my dad. I mean, like the most amazing cast and never got to meet any of them. It was it was John Nicole and myself.
Speaker 1: Why don't we do Kim Possible? Rewatch episode? Why don't we watch an episode?
Speaker 2: The writer was on, I would love to I would love to be let's do that as a place, play brick that brick.
Speaker 5: He's like, yeah, rick or something like that was the Bullie high school jock dude. I just remember going in and it's like, so, how do you what kind of voice? They were like, uh, maybe a slight keanu And I was like okay, and they're like, yeah, that's it.
Speaker 6: Perfect, Oh my gosh. Basically mean the hired writer and then said could you be a jock? Yeah, that's real talent if you were able to pull out that's a real talent again, I played a mega nerd. What are the chances of that? Who's gonna tell him? I'm gonna tell him.
Speaker 2: I don't get. What's happening is I'm in my childhood bedroom and here's ron.
Speaker 3: Stap me, ron STAPs right here.
Speaker 2: He's also behind me right there. I'm trying to decorate through himselves, not just pink Floyd posters.
Speaker 3: And.
Speaker 1: Doul Well is trying to redecorate his childhood bedroom. So there are toys. He'd be added toys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he brought to look right. You wanted to look good. It can't just be Marilyn Monroe and fake grenade.
Speaker 1: You can't just have to fake grenade.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, what's it? Hey grenade?
Speaker 1: Let's go in?
Speaker 2: No, I got it ready.
Speaker 1: Welcome to vond Meats World.
Speaker 2: I'm Danielle Fischel, I'm right or Strong, and I'm Wilfordell.
Speaker 7: Hey Wildcats, it's Bart Johnson. You may know me as Coach Bolton from the High School Musical franchise. Can you believe it's been almost twenty years since we first hit the course at Oldiest High? Well celebrate. I'm sitting down with some of your favorite cast members. Producers, dancers, choreographers, and or to bring you the ultimate behind the scenes look at high school musical So Wildcats join me on my new podcast, get your head in the game, and let's go back to where it all began.
Speaker 8: Listen to Magical Rewind on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcast, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Before Michael Jacob's co created Boy Meets World, putting three young actors on a trajectory that would lead to a weird rewatch podcast. More than thirty years later, he had already berthed some of the biggest sitcoms on television and some of the less big. He first broke out with My Two Dads, a runaway hit with Paul Reiser, Greg Evigan and a young Stacy Keenan. Then he ran into some roadblocks with shows like Singer and Sons and The Torkulsns or Almost Home If You're Nasty. And then there was Dinosaurs, an absolutely unhinged puppet show that included one of the most shocking series finales of all time. But included in this resume of pre Boy Meets World programs was the show that really put Michael on the map, helping pell him into one of the most sought after showrunners of his day. It was Charles in Charge. The show ran on CBS for just one season, but found a home in syndication for three years and over one hundred episodes, putting our guest this Week on millions of TV sets in the nineties and cementing her as many of our listeners first crush. She was also seen.
Speaker 2: Wait, I'm sorry, I'm stopping you right in the middle there, and I never stopped you during your intros. But it only was on a network for one season before went his syndication.
Speaker 5: And then they recast it, so I think after the first season only Scott Bayos. Wow.
Speaker 1: So then everybody else leased the entire family.
Speaker 2: Like Willie Aim like all that none of them were on the first season.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 5: Yeah, as far as I know, that's the story is that he comes back to be the because he was like a manny right music, a Danny or whatever, and the second season was him coming in. It was a whole different family and he was surprised and then yeah.
Speaker 1: Find out more.
Speaker 2: Sorry interrupting Danielle, but had had to figure that out.
Speaker 8: Geez.
Speaker 1: She was also seen on TJ Hooker, Who's the Boss, Married with children and the time capsule of a movie Blown Away, which I will ask her about today. But many of you might remember her from a little worldwide phenomenon called Baywatch, a show will watched for the compelling scripts, right.
Speaker 2: Well, it's amazing. Absolutely. I didn't even find out it took place on a beach until like season three.
Speaker 1: She played Lifeguards Summer Quinn from nineteen ninety two to nineteen ninety four, a time of her life. She recently unpacked for the documentary after Baywatch Moment in the Sun, a film she also produced, and she still found time to be an inspiration for women everywhere when she disclosed her battle with stage two breast cancer in twenty twenty three, documenting the ups and downs of her journey on social media and on her podcast Perfectly Twisted. All this and she appeared on an episode of Boy Meets World this week. We are thrilled to welcome to Pod meets World. Love Nicole Eggert. You everything, you look great, you sound great.
Speaker 3: You thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: So excited.
Speaker 3: I literally got COVID for the first time, the first time ever.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the club.
Speaker 3: It's like I've been on the outs of this club. I was like, what are the protocols? Do I call everybody? Or is this just like nobody gives anymore?
Speaker 2: Pretty much it's the latter, pretty much.
Speaker 3: How are you feeling fine? I mean, listen, it's like I'm a mom. We we just like I didn't even catch it or even think to test till like the tail end of it, Like until I was like, why is my nose literally trying to leave my face?
Speaker 1: Like like those of my eyeballs.
Speaker 3: Were trying to like something off. So I before I went in for an allergic reaction, I was like, let me do it contest, and I got a positive. So I was like, okay, so funny.
Speaker 1: Well, welcome, like Will said, welcome to the Uh, it's only five years. I mean you didn't.
Speaker 3: I know, I didn't think I was. I thought I was immune to it. I was like, but you know it got me.
Speaker 1: Well, we are so happy to have you here with us. We always like to start with people's origin story. And I know you grew up in Glendale and so depending on traffic, it's only a short or long trip to Hollywood.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: And your mom was a talent agent, right, Yes, she became a talent agent. Later I was born in Glendale and then because that's where my mother was living and ooh, she got pregnant out of wedlock, which I didn't discover till way later too. That was still like such a taboo in their eyes. And my dad was living in Hollywood, my mom was living in Glendale, and he built a home in Huntington Beach. So it's like when two years old, I moved to Huntington Beach where, yeah, I had most of my childhood there, and then coming up to LA which that is not that's not easy.
Speaker 1: I also grew up in Orange County and that is not a quick trip.
Speaker 3: No, especially when you're a kid and you're like there's so many other what you think is important things to be doing and sitting on the freeway. So that was tough. Yeah, So I pretty early on I started getting an apartment in Universal City and Studio City because I was like, I can't do this drive all the time. This isn't fair.
Speaker 1: That makes sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wish the drive was from Glenville.
Speaker 1: That would have been significantly better. So did you start in beauty pageants and then make your way over to entertainment? How did that happen?
Speaker 3: That absolutely happened. And it's so crazy because I was that kid that like would dig big holes and play, you know, climb trees, and I just wasn't the beauty pageant type. And my mom my parents were both immigrants from Europe and they grew up during World War Two and they were living in southern California and my mom suddenly found herself a housewife and heard about these local beauty pageants and was like, you, you're gonna do those. And so the trade off was that we could go to these venues and I would be able to just enjoy a day at the pool because I was obsessed with swimming pools. I still am. And that was the trade off. I would do the beauty pageants if I got to enjoy the pool.
Speaker 1: That's so cute.
Speaker 3: And so we did, and yeah, but I was like not interested at all in these beauty pageants. Hated them. And I won and I just kept winning, which meant we kept going back. Right.
Speaker 1: You didn't realize that if you really wanted your mom to stop this, you needed to fail with them.
Speaker 2: Exactly. I tried.
Speaker 3: I tried my damnedest.
Speaker 2: Yet Yeah, little miss don't want.
Speaker 1: To be here, Yeah, little miss go brush your hair.
Speaker 3: And yeah, so I kept winning and I made it to Miss Little Missus Universe, and Miss Universe at the time was like this big televised network show and and I had my first television appearance and then the phone started ringing and my mom was like, and we're going to do this, and that's that's.
Speaker 2: How I'll be getting How old are you at this point or four or five years old? Yes, she even really remembers.
Speaker 1: Universe Petite Division at age five. Yes. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh, in all fairness, that was a way easy year that you won.
Speaker 3: Let's be honest, the competition wasn't that.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, Okay. So soon after you win, you know, Miss Petite Universe, you're starring in commercials by age eight, and you're in movies with Cheryl Ladd and Jacqueline Bissett and Candice Bergen. Were you having fun once you started doing commercials in TV or did you feel the same way you did about pageants?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 3: I actually had fun because, and I'm sure you can relate to this, like as a kid in doing commercials was so fun because you got to see all the products. At least for me, I seeing all the products early and like getting your hands on them, especially the toys, and like I did a ton of Mattel, you know, So I like had all the barbies and to me, that was just like amazing, just the most amazing thing. So and I didn't really know any different, Like I didn't know I was supposed to be, you know, in kindergarten.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Were you in traditional school at it at the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, in Huntington Beach, And so we would go back and forth. And it wasn't until I was, you know, had a series regular that we got pulled and I made the definitive choice to move because I couldn't. You know, people don't understand what kids go through with school work. And then that transportation on top of it, that commute was just too much. So yeah, I was going back and forth and back and forth until about thirteen years old.
Speaker 1: You're right, that is a lot. No, I loved it.
Speaker 3: I loved it. I was like I didn't have to be in school. We got to just like hang out and play with toys, and to me, it was just I was having a good time.
Speaker 1: Do you remember your audition for Charles in Charge?
Speaker 3: Well, the thing is is that I didn't really audition for it because I had auditioned for Alberton so many times for so many shows, and he had always said, we're going to find something for you. We're going to find something. And when Charles in charge came across his desk, he called and he said, Okay, I think I have the show. This is the show for you. And so then I met with Michael Jacobs and then yeah, and the rest was sort of history. So it was sort of Alberton had his eye out for it.
Speaker 1: Okay, he knew he wanted you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'd already done all the weird things Alberton would ask you to do, like headstand in audition when you guys are younger, so you didn't go through that process. But Albert, like you would audition for everything that crossed his desk, and he would he once he already knew what like you're acting, he would have you just do weird things like can you do a headstand? Can you do a handstand? Can you like? It was just the weirdest.
Speaker 1: He was very He was a bizarre guy.
Speaker 3: And so I had gone through, you know, fifty of those auditions already, so we were well exactly.
Speaker 1: He had already checked off on your headstand, your hand handstand, and your acting. You were good to go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'd done all the weird bits all. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So when you got the role of Charles in Charge? Because in Danielle's intro, so I'm the television junkie of the group. And was it two different shows? Was Charles in Charge something for one season? And then it changed and they recast it for a second season? Now, were you on from the Pie or how did the show change? Because I didn't know anything about this. I thought it was just one show the entire way through, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, it was a network show that did one season and was canceled and syndication was becoming, you know, the new thing. So that's it was. It was their hand at doing a syndicated run, and so they recast everything and so we away. They run in a new family and it was the Pembrokes and then it was the Powals, And yeah, they just made this switch. It was ironically the same thing that happened with Baywatch. And that's how I because Alberton got me involved with bay Watch and we made that crossover because they were a syndicated show. I mean, they were a network show. Did one season, got canceled and wanted to do the syndication route and came to Alburton and he said, Okay, well let's do it. I'll help you and use Nicole and we'll do a spinoff. And we were going to do like a nine to two one zero type of thing at the beach. And that's how I got rolled right into Baywatch from Charles in Charge. So yes, it was this formula they had going.
Speaker 9: Do you love Sex in the City? Now you can relive the magic from the very beginning, Every date, every heartbreak, every Cosmopolitan with me Kristin Davis aka Charlotte Yorick on my podcast Are You a Charlotte? I'm rediscovering the show that we all love so much, episode by episode. Open your free iHeartRadio app search are You a Charlotte and listen.
Speaker 1: Now, do you remember feeling a lot of pressure about Charles in Charge, Like feeling that there was just a lot of pressure on your shoulders? Yeah, a little bit.
Speaker 3: You know, interesting because at that age you kind of I didn't really take on that kind of pressure of like, this is a show now that they want it to be a success. It failed once they wanted to be a success, and I didn't really feel that kind of pressure. I started it right around the first day that I was supposed to start high school, so it was sort of that was more on my mind as a young teenager, like am I making the right decision to go and be on a show rather than go have the high school experience? That was more of the pressure that I was feeling.
Speaker 1: And looking back on it, now, do you think you made Do you feel like you made a good choice, or do you feel like you missed out on a high school experience?
Speaker 3: You know, I really kind of lived with no regrets, and I wouldn't be where I'm at if I didn't make all of these And it turns out Charles in Charge was really a great and a really horrible experience for me and for a lot of the cast in general. So you know, there's that part of it. But again, would I change it? I don't really live like that. I kind of think we take everything that we messed up and we learned from it and it makes us better and smarter and more whole.
Speaker 1: Well, we didn't none of us met Michael until nineteen ninety three. Can you tell us what your memory of working with Michael Jacobs was like, We're curious if he was ever any different than the Michael we knew, or if he was always the same Michael.
Speaker 3: Well interesting because I you know, when he was very high energy, always like the high energy was there. He wasn't as involved in Charles and Charge as he was Boy Meets World. He sort of was there in the beginning set it up, said how he wanted it to go and flow and gave us all a lot of direction and then sort of left it in everybody else's hands. And not until I met him again for Boy Meets World, and I felt he was a little bit more. I felt like and it might have been the timing too, and that particular episode, because I also looking back at it leading up to this, there was a lot of a lot of changes maybe happening on the show. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong. You guys were there and he was saying a lot of things to me and at me, and I really didn't I couldn't understand what.
Speaker 1: Like, what do you want to follow?
Speaker 3: I had a heart, eye struggled. I couldn't follow, and I was hearing him and I wanted to understand him, but I ended up just really feeling confused, and my part that was supposed to be an arc on Boy Meet's World got cut really short because he's like, you're not giving me what I want. And I was like, yeah, I'm really struggling to understand what it is you want for me. And it was making me just uncomfortable in the role, to be honest, because I felt really lost. I was like, I didn't have creative like license at all, and I was trying to be what what he what I thought I heard him saying, but I couldn't and it just it was really like it was just a failed a failed attempt for me. So I had a lot of disconnect with him. On when it was Boys Meets World Wars Charles in Charge, I think that I was I was giving him what he wanted with that character and it was fine. Everything was like smooth sailing. So it was two very different experiences with him.
Speaker 5: So was he not show running Charles in Charge? Was he not like their every note session and oh wow?
Speaker 3: No no, no, not hands on like that at all. Only in the beginning the first couple episodes and then he left.
Speaker 2: Who took over?
Speaker 3: Well, it really was Al Burton was like the guy right.
Speaker 1: Did you have any sort of creative control in Charles in Charge? Like, I know you were a teenager, but did you feel like you got to have a hand in storylines or in character development or did you really leave that to all of the adults. I felt like they did.
Speaker 3: The writers did a really great job of watching run throughs and letting us do some ad libs like letting us be free in it and letting us be our just goofy selves and either running with it or getting an inspiration from it. I felt like it was a really happy medium of but they didn't want us going too far off script, Like I felt like I watched you guys on Boy Meets World and I was like, oh, they really kind of have a little.
Speaker 1: Bit more room where I definitely did. Yeah, will definitely hit the room.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I found that fascinating. I was like, oh wow, And it was so kind of alien to me because I was like, that's we weren't. It was much more like the timing had to be like this, and once we decided on what the jokes were going to be and where they were going to land, they really wanted us to just keep it there and Scott Bayo and his father Mario really wanted a timely schedule and really wanted to be out of there by a certain time day. So it was very like, you know, don't put this up, Yeah, to say your lines, to do what's written and what we decided on and get it.
Speaker 1: Where did they have to be? Yeah, where were they going?
Speaker 3: I mean they wanted to time them off. I think they just wanted out of their is all. I really kind.
Speaker 1: Of honestly love this. I think this is great. Next the next job I have, I'm going to be like, listen, I can only work until two. We're going to have to have this wrapped up by two pm. I've got places to be. Yeah, I kid you not.
Speaker 3: I could you know. They would say if we got into the series, he would say, I want to be done by lunchtime today, Let's have this like done by lunch.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh god, well we in all fairness we had that too, as long as lunch was one am exactly. So yeah, we were we were final. I think one of the other reasons that I was given a little more leeway when you were there, especially is because we it was seventh season. I think by that point we knew that, like we we hadn't even been if memory serves, you were in kind of the first half of the season, and we weren't even picked up for by that point the full twenty two. For season seven, we got picked up I think for thirteen, and so we thought we were done, and I think by that point they were kind of like, yeah, go have fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I think it might have been that kind of vibe too a little bit. It was a little bit of senioritis for us on the set, where it was kind of like, let's play all right. This part of the script is more of a guideline than anything else, because at that point, if they were going to fire us, they were going to fire us. So I think it was more that vibe you walked into too. But I didn't know that you were supposed to be an ARC. That would have been great because I remember there was good chemistry between the three of us. I thought I didn't remember you struggling with the role at all. I remember that you and myself and Matt Lawrence. I thought the three of us were working really well together. So to hear that you were supposed to be on more than one episode is amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think they wanted it to be a character in the show, and yeah, that didn't happen, And yeah, I had a great time with you guys, Like yeah, in fact, you guys were my saving grace. I was struggling at home, Like personally, I was just starting a really ugly, like custody battle with my daughter. I had a one year old at that time, and you know, things were just crazy in my personal world. And then I had Michael just like you're not giving it to me, You're not giving it to me, and I was, and you guys were just so amazing on set that it was like, yeah, I probably would have lost it. I think I would have combusted if it wasn't for you guys having being so relaxed and so fun and so friendly and so welcoming and just all those good things.
Speaker 2: Well let's well, we're also just a huge fans. I mean we because it's like, you know, as as actors around the same age, we'd obviously seen your work, so we were like, oh, we get to work with Nicole. So we were psyched that you were coming on the show. So there was that kind of vibe too, where it was like, oh, this is going to be great. We can't wait. So, yeah, you hid that very well. That that I guess you weren't vibing with the character and Michael wasn't because I don't remember that.
Speaker 1: We haven't gotten to the episode yet in our rewatch, it's a season seven episode called picket Fences. Can you refresh our listener's memory and ours? Because I don't remember the episode because we're not there yet. What was your character on Boy Meets World and and what was the storyline?
Speaker 3: So she was the chancellor's daughter, Bridget Murphy, and she shows up in the student's cafe and it's like, who who are you, guys? I'm your new boss, and she sort of lays it out. She's like nepotism. My father is the chancellor, I'm your new boss. You're gonna kiss my blah blah blah blah kind of thing and kind of starts there, it ends there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought maybe I didn't remember it because I had a heart out at too. I wanted to be done by lunch and I just had to get out.
Speaker 2: Danielle was was a little miss Universe that week.
Speaker 1: The Division, the Division exactly, so she was doing that.
Speaker 2: Man, that's so funn.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean what makes me laugh too, because you guys say the beginning and it was like it was episode ten and these days like that's so that's just such a throwback to those days, like episode ten was like the first half.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right exactly. Now it's like you get four episodes, so for the entire season, Like wait a minute, what what's going on?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So, uh, twenty two a year, twenty six a year was crazy, that's so interesting.
Speaker 1: And yeah, you're right that full that's a full setup for more than one episode. You don't do a full setup like that only to be in one episode. Yeah, yeah, it.
Speaker 3: Was Yeah, I just I wasn't. I wasn't doing it for him, and he was like, you're out of here, and I feel like, also if i'm if I'm not mistaken. There were some other people because there was another storyline going on, and I can't remember exactly, but maybe it was like an apartment somebody looking for an apartment, and maybe there were other characters being introduced into that Subka story.
Speaker 1: That's going to be oriented Hanga looking for an apartment. Right, look, that's.
Speaker 2: What it is, Okay, that's that's picket fences. That's why it's called picket fences is because you're looking for your white picket fence. This might be the one where you move into the really horrible, like terrible apartment and you meet the other single mom who's there. Yeah, could have been it. Yes, that's okay, So that's what it was. Okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, bells are ringing. And in Michael's defense, I think he was trying to introduce a lot of new characters in that episode. There was a lot he was trying to get.
Speaker 2: That's what you do with three episodes left of your entire series, just jamming as many characters as you pop. It's episode ten of the last thirteen. Were doing, let's introduce thirty five new characters.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well it's funny because Will earlier you said, you know, we were probably feeling comfortable or like we didn't care. But I bet you Michael was feeling a lot of pressure because I remember he was still angling for a season eight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, we were all kind of like ready to leave and we were like.
Speaker 5: As actors done, but I feel like he was actually still gunning, like we can keep this going, right, let's not an end. Let's not let it end here, you know, and huh.
Speaker 2: Well, does anybody know after Boy ended how long TGIF lasted?
Speaker 1: No, No, I don't either, but.
Speaker 2: I mean it wasn't on for another ten years. It was like TGIF kind of folded not too long after that, right, I don't know. I think I don't know. Somebody's clacking away and looking.
Speaker 3: At up right now.
Speaker 1: I'm sure, I'm sure. Well, Boy Mee's World is known for having quite a long and illustrious guest star history, but while researching Charles in Charge, I was really surprised to run into two names that you guys had as guest stars, Paul Walker and Meg Ryan. Meg Ryan did two episodes. Do you remember them being on the show or not? Now?
Speaker 3: Yes, I remember Paul very clearly because we were all the same age. And you know, when you're on a show like that and you have a guest star, you guys are all crammed into the tutor room for hours and hours on end. I believe I want to say Meg Ryan was on the like maybe the original the network.
Speaker 1: Version, so you didn't work with him? Yeah? Yeah? What was Paul Walker? Like? What do you remember? Sweet kid?
Speaker 3: You know, just a sweet, normal, very like I think he was from OC as well. Yeah, I think he was, yeah, right, and just so felt just like such a normal, down to earth and obviously before he was the Paul Walker just cute, cute as could be, so cute. Yeah, I know. And I was sitting there and I think he was brought on as my younger sister's love interest, and I was like, she always gets cute, why did she get him?
Speaker 2: By the way, the original run of ABC's a TGIF programming ended September eighth, two thousand. Wow.
Speaker 1: Okay, so Boy Meets World one in March or something of two thousand and pretty much was over.
Speaker 2: It was like right at the end. Yeah, and the run, I guess began September twenty second, nineteen eighty nine.
Speaker 1: Oh you know what, the series finale of Boy Meets World aired on my birthday, so May fifth of two thousand, so just a few months later.
Speaker 2: There you go. Yeah, so it didn't last much longer after us, so they would have had to move us off the block to put us somewhere else to get a season eight.
Speaker 1: So yeah, wow, he was in a pressure cooker.
Speaker 3: I mean he really was, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you mentioned that Alberton then moved you from Charles in Charge basically right into Baywatch, right, Yeah, did you have any reservations about joining that show? What were your what were your thoughts going into that?
Speaker 3: You know, it was interesting because I was looking forward to doing the spinoff of it. I didn't go into it thinking what if I end up being a lifeguard on Baywatch? Right, so you know, the naive Nicole didn't think about that part. And I was leaving to go to Canada to shoot a handful of films and then I was going to come back and start Baywatch. I knew that my wardrobe was coming, my hair makeup was coming, so also very comfortable. He also put Pamela Anderson, who I had known she was on Charles in Charge and around the set a lot because she dated Scott so and I knew David Charvay already, So it felt very comfortable going into this into that, and I kind of didn't put a lot of thought into it. I was like, kind of, I'll cross that bridge when I get there. And then when I showed up on set, I kind of dawned on me. When you know, fittings were just this red bathing suit, and I was like, where are the rest?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: Jeez, oh man, where's the rest?
Speaker 3: And then the show immediately took off and it hit and it hit number one show in the world, and then they were like spin off what they were like, this formula, this is what's working, this is where we're staying. And I was like, whoa damn.
Speaker 2: Curiously, you just kind of touched on it with starting to work out. Aside from having to quote unquote look good or look the part, how physical was it to be shooting a show like this all the time?
Speaker 3: Well, it was a little bit. You know, it is running in the sand, It's like, and we're not running in slow mocean, you know, contrary to everybody's belief, you know, and they do they do dump you out off a barge in the ocean, and you do have to keep up and at least try to make like you you know what you're doing. I mean I jumped off piers. I would climb up, you know, up the ropes to get back up the pier, like we were really in the trenches. And I remember the first day on set they had me and I was a rookie trying out to be a lifeguard, and they had me and they would use real, actual lifeguards as atmosphere all the time, and we were in a race for tryouts and I was thrown in with them and they were like.
Speaker 1: Keep up, keep up, and I'm like vomiting.
Speaker 3: I was like throwing up, like trying to run into the waves with these people, and I was like, there's just been a terrible mistake. I don't know if you think I'm an act, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't. I lay on the beach. I dumped under a few waves.
Speaker 5: But even just the work, like the going from a multi cam, which is like you're in a sound stage, you rehearse all week and then they bring in an audience to a single cam alone, must have been a huge.
Speaker 2: On a beach with the ocean, and I mean this is a massive thing. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean I've done lots of single camera shows and movies and stuff in the past, So that wasn't that wasn't so daunting. But the weather, like you think the beach. I grew up at the beach. I love the beach, but we're shooting winter months, like oh, you're freezing, and like, good luck trying to find a dry towel on that set, Like you're freezing. They're like get out. We can see the rain drops on the water. You know, it's not just like all it's cracked up to be right, And the overcast days for lighting were the better days.
Speaker 6: So it was just.
Speaker 3: It's tougher.
Speaker 8: It was.
Speaker 3: It was harder than expected.
Speaker 1: Did they not give you any proper training before you started shooting, Like, hey, we're gonna try to give you some lifeguard lessons? Nothing kind of on the fly.
Speaker 3: It was like on the go, it was it really. I think they got better at it as time progressed, but they were still feeling out like what is this show? Because it went from this network show that was much more It wasn't so fluffy, It wasn't you know, so video MTV video asque. It was much more like lifeguards as in police it was. It was just so much more structure, conservative show, and they were sort of feeling out. I was very much a guinea pig of feeling out, like how serious are we taking this as them being lifeguards? But they did want it to be, you know, correct, so they would help us like as we were going along, and I think as they went down the line, they started training people and working with newcasts coming on a lot better but no, I didn't have any prior training. It was really on the on the go.
Speaker 1: We had Kelly Packard on the podcast recently and she talked a lot about the pressure of the stars of Baywatch for keeping their weight, and it sounded pretty rough. I know it was already difficult for just being a woman in the nineties was difficult, but I can only imagine when you're wearing a bathing suit week after week. This must have been very hard. Was that your experience?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean is it's a lot of pressure. And I think especially when Kelly came on after the show was such a success and you saw the bodies and you knew what you were walking into, I feel like that would be so much more pressure us going into it. There really wasn't a guideline and it was like here we are, and you know, we're just doing this.
Speaker 1: Luckily, I was so.
Speaker 3: Young that and I was considered curvy. Yeah right, and I look back and I'm like, where, what right?
Speaker 1: What's going on?
Speaker 3: I mean so much so that they gave my character an eating disorder and and yeah, we had a five pound clause that they could weigh us. Didn't want us going above or below five pounds of our weight. But I do, in hindsight think that that was also a protection to make sure that there weren't that nobody was getting too thin. I didn't have that problem. I was more like, stay under, stay under, and so I you know, I did start to do some working out on the beach and you know, go for extra run since we were there and the sand and do things like that. But when you're that young, it's not that hard.
Speaker 1: It's much easier.
Speaker 3: You know, I had it. Yeah, it's much much easier. But Yeah, as the years went on, I think the pressure for the women had to be intensified.
Speaker 1: Well, a lot of this comes up in the recent documentary After Baywatch, which you appear in as well as produced, and similar to our journey here on the podcast, you had to deep dive into your youth on the screen. What did you learn from that experience?
Speaker 3: God, it was interesting. I just was learning so much more about the show as it went along, and you know, being and the producer on it, I didn't want to focus so much on myself because I was such a small you know, it was in the beginning and it was weird and my story. We worked on it for five years, and so much changed, like the pandemic happened, then I got a diagnosis and all of these things, and so my storyline kept changing. So I really kind of put that into like the back. I was like, we're going to deal with that me later, But it was really diving into everybody else and just learning and really more interesting learning how that show affected their life, like their personal life. And Jason Simmons, for example, who was gay and he had to hide it, and he would have paparazzi, you know, following him and trying to catch him making out with other guys or being with other men, and so the women on the show would rally around him and pretend like they were in relationships with him to you know, to hide this for him. And just hearing and learning all of these things is fascinating, just in heartbreaking and heartwarming and all of the fields.
Speaker 1: I bet. I want to talk to you also about a movie that I'm sure comes up with fans a lot more than you ever expected. Blown Away. It is a nineteen ninety three erotic thriller with the Corris Hayman Feldman and you play a rich girl who thinks her father killed her mom. It is a cult favorite, a lot of signature nineties sex scenes. What memories do you have?
Speaker 2: Wait, there's an era I'm sorry, there's an erotic thriller with the Corris This is a thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, really, yes, it is a cult classic.
Speaker 2: What well, I mean obviously watching that, but what a strange sentence to hear the nineties erotic thing with the Cory's. I never would have suspected.
Speaker 1: What are your memories of making that movie?
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, so when you asked me, like going into Baywatch, you know from Charles and Charge. So we had blown Away in there, and that was much more on the top of my mind than Baywatch because that was in the near future. So I was doing that and a cheerleading movie with Corey Haim, all these things in Canada that were so like opposite each other. But that was scary going into that. If I'm going to be completely candid and honest and open now and I feel like we finally the truth is out there, I can finally like speak about this and it's okay. But going into that movie with those two at that time and where they were in maybe their addiction and their careers and everything was frightening and yeah, and it was that was a wild, wild experience. It was, you know, and a lot of that, A lot of the sex scenes started becoming very improvy, and it was like, wait, what's going on? And being kind of feeling alone is like a young woman on set with all these men and these things happening.
Speaker 9: It was.
Speaker 3: It was a really growing learning moment for me of when to go wait, yeah, you know, slow down, stop.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, there's no intimacy coordinator or anything along the lines at this point. This is it was like the wild West and back back in the day with stuff like that, Oh my god.
Speaker 3: And you know, you'd have maybe some of the actor disappear in their trailer for hours and then come out and clearly intoxicated, and you're like, what am I gonna do with this? You know, right before a sex scene? Just it was it was a lot. It just it was a lot.
Speaker 1: And I still looked at it as like, wow, that.
Speaker 8: Was a lot.
Speaker 1: And at this point you're I'm assuming you're over eighteen, and so was your Did you have any sort of guardian or anyone on set that you could go to outside of most likely an entirely male producer staff, you know.
Speaker 3: Not really because it was shot in Canada. The Canadians are really great about having someone on set checking and you know, and so there was sort of that, but it still isn't a time where we women, we weren't really speaking up a whole bunch. And I just come off a show where I was being sexually abused, you know, behind the scenes, and now it's sort of like there's sort of this running theme of like abuse and sexual abuse in my life and the movie is really supposed to sort of border on that, you know, but she's sort of the sexual abuser maybe in the movie. If there's abuse happening, it's just it's a very very murky, very murky time and era, and it was a weird time to speak up about anything. And yeah, it just was weird. No, I felt very kind of alone. I was kind of alone on a ship out there by myself.
Speaker 1: You mentioned the sexual abuse on the Charles in Charge set. If you felt comfortable going to somebody, who would have been the person you were you should have gone to? Would it have been your mom? Was your mom on set with you? Did you have a studio teacher? How were you left so unprotected?
Speaker 3: So Charles Charge is an interesting dynamic for me because because the sexual abuse was going on and it was very apparent, and if it wasn't apparent that the abuse was happening, it definitely was obvious that I was getting extra attention. So I wasn't always everybody's favorite person. Like, to be completely honest, I wasn't. I wasn't the favorite person because I was favored by the star of the show, and so I didn't really feel like I had a lot of allies there.
Speaker 2: And so this is this is happening, and you feel like you're on an island because it's like you're also being singled out because.
Speaker 1: People are mad you being sexually abused.
Speaker 3: Uh. And still I still feel that from some of the cast, and yes, that's exactly true. It's like, oh, well you you got more, you know. And it was sort of this cast of like they would count their lines dialogue and who had the bigger part, and I was like, I don't understand anybody that does that to begin with, and god forbid I had more dialogues or like, it just was this. It was kind of a it was toxic all around and the other two children Alex Plancy has spoken out about it and myself as an adult looking back now, everybody was suffering a form of abuse and so it made for a very uh, very strange dynamic and a lot of hostility and feelings, and so I don't think that there was really anybody that you could go to. And this was way before me too, And I'm being told if you say anything, everybody loses their job. You know, people go to jail. Like you can't this is it absolute no. So it was this thing of like, now this is something I have to deal with and just keep it moving and we got to be out of.
Speaker 2: Here by too.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's it's also such a I mean, I want to say, impossible scenario to be in as a teenager and then as you you know, you you stop doing Charles in Charge, you're still a teenager. Then you go into doing Blown Away and you have your again dealing with stars who now have addiction issues, and you as a as a young person, it would be you would be a real anomaly to actually know how to address and to see clearly all of the wrongdoings and to be able to say like hey, I would like to speak up and say stop or I'm not comfortable with this. It's like we all grew up knowing that the people who worked were the people who were easy to get along with, the people who you go with the flow, take direction. Well, regardless of how strong or a sense of self you have deep down, we were all groomed to be people pleasers on sets.
Speaker 3: You bet, and not to speak bad about other cast Right, remember those days where you were told, no, matter what's going on, you guys are as the kids, you guys are fighting. No, you are a family.
Speaker 2: Now you're a family. You're a family.
Speaker 1: Yes, you're a family. I mean, we have talked about this a lot on the podcast. How many people we did not realize benefited from the culture of secrecy and like, well we don't talk about that. Think about how many times you heard, well you don't talk to anybody about how much money you're making. You don't talk to anybody about it. It's like, oh, wait, actually that only helps you. It doesn't hurt us for us to talk to each other about the things that are going on. If anything, it unifies us and helps make us stronger. But in general, there was just a you know, yeah, very secretive, very pride. It's just the nineties were a real not so great time.
Speaker 3: It's the matter. Yeah, very systematic. Speaking of that, going into bay Watch, it was supposed to be a Favored Nations and I had to sign the non disclosure that because I was making more. But if I was ever asked, I had to say it was Favored Nations, like shit like that it was.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 3: And then in going through everything I went through and then getting on Baywatch and it was not received well in the press, although the ratings were there and we were being called bimbos and everybody said, like, how did you walk away from the number one show in the world. So me giving you a little background of like what led up to this was my moment of saying, no, I want off of this show. Now I'm being called a bimbo on top of it all right, I'm already feeling all the feels and crazy in the turmoil, and now I'm publicly being called a bimbo. I was like, I just need out, And that was my moment to just step away. And I wasn't going to say anything publicly and there was no platform for it and nobody was going to listen anyways. But I was able to take remove myself and just take time away and just go live and rebel and try to figure you know, all of this out.
Speaker 2: So you come off of Charles in Charge, which was that experience, you go to Blown Away, which was that experience, and then you come to Baywatch where now you're being called a bimbo. Was there ever a point where you were like, what the hell am I doing in this industry? Why am I even here?
Speaker 3: That was the moment that was it, because up until then I had done good work, like I worked with George Cooker or Michael Chapman. I had done something else with Meg Ryan, and my resume was good and solid, and I'm on, you know, a.
Speaker 1: Trajectory, and I was happy.
Speaker 3: And then Baywatched, after all the things I was going through personally to now be publicly being called bimbo, and I went into it. I cut all my hair off. I cut it short to sort of go against any kind of sceneo type like that. I was like, what would a young girl wanting to be a lifeguard, what would she look like? Well, she wouldn't have really really long blonde hair, she would have you know, manageable hair, she wouldn't wear makeup, just all of these things. And I tried. I went into it and producers were a little pissed off that I showed up with, you know, a bob. But I felt like I was making character choices and and it just none of it. I couldn't make anybody happy at that point, do you know what I mean? Like, the producers were pissed I didn't have the long hair, still being called a bimbo in the press, and I just I was like, yeah, enough, like I need a break.
Speaker 1: Well, something else you and I have in common. The club no one wants to join, but once you're in it, the people that are in the club or some of the best. You and I both have dealt with breast cancer, and you have been such a helpful and wonderful advocate. You've been very vocal about your journey and sharing all of the updates about the choices that you've made with your health care. How are you feeling now and where are you in your treatment journey?
Speaker 3: So many loaded questions from there. Well, as you know, it's not something that you get a diagnosis, You do treatment and then life goes on. That's what you're in it forever. This is a forever thing, which you know, when I got my diagnosis. Everybody kept saying, oh, in a year from now, this will be behind you and you'll be on your life. Okay, that's the biggest croct ever. So I'm I'm on a lot of treatments, some targeted treatments. I'm being tested monthly. My treatments are behind me. I still have surgeries ahead of me next month, which I'm excited about. I really took my time with that route because I just didn't know what was the right choices for me, and I kept meeting with doctors and getting so many There's just so many different opinions and options, and I really I'm somebody that needs to like sleep on it. So I took a year to really like listen to everybody, digest it all, and like it's a big decision because you can rush into these things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can just.
Speaker 3: Follow the protocol and then you're it's this whirlwind of stuff and then you're like, wait, what did I just do? What just happened?
Speaker 1: You know, if you mind me asking did you have a lump back to me to remove? And you did chemo and you did radiation right, because like I know, for me, I asked if I could delay a surgery by like two months because I had episodes of TV. I wanted to be I had plans to direct, and I was like, well, can I just wait until October? I mean it was only like two or three months. And they were like, we do not recommend that you wait two or three months to make a decision about this because it's cancer. We don't know what cancer can do in two or three months. So when you were able to take a year, is that did you already have some surgeries?
Speaker 3: Well, so I wasn't able to have a lumpeck. To me, I wasn't even able to have a mess ectomy because the cancer was too big. It was there was too much, so I needed to do the chemo to shrink it down. Then they removed it all, and then the radiation, and so that was dealing with the problematic side. And then I said, okay, you know, let me do all this, let me get through it. And then I really spent a lot of time trying to detox and it's still trying to detox my body from all that terrible stuff that we put into its treatment and trying to deal with the menopause side of it that also gets thrown at you, and there's just so much out there, and there's just so much information to be had that isn't given to you by regular general practice practicing doctors. Right that my on colleges has no idea of anything to help with anything except my key protocol. You know. It's so I I just have really been exploring everything, all the supplements, doing all the things, trying to make my bring myself back to life because my body I really went through it, really and I know you did too. It's just it's chemo is Oh, it's a beast, and you know they threw the strongest ones at me. And once you do it, you can't do it again. So it's like I need for this not only to be effective for now, I need like for this not to come back exactly. How do we How do I learn how I got here? Because they say not to think about that, but I'm sorry, I'm going to think about that because along in my preventative treatment here, I want to know what I was doing that got me here, if anything, And of course there are and what choices can I can I also make in my personal life and my daily life that will help not bring me back here? So I really just dove into that, and I'm just always at the doctor. I'm so sick of it. I go in every month and then I get a Zolodex treatment, and then I have to come back for the next week to get blood injections because my white blood cell count gets really low. So I have two good weeks out of every month. The other two or i'm there, I'm at the treatment facility, so it's really all consuming.
Speaker 1: And then, like you said, even in those two quote unquote good weeks, you're still dealing with menopause symptoms. Yes, so even when you're feeling good, you're still not really feeling that great.
Speaker 3: You got it. That's that's actually one hundred percent true. And yeah, so that's just and I spend all of that time feeling that I'm feeling good, trying to learn, you know, educating myself and testing all these things and talking to doctors, and so it's just this ongoing thing for me, and I just want to have all the information. God forbid, anybody else I know gets diagnosed, my children get diagnosed, if I ever get diagnosed again, and I just want It's something that I wasn't just gonna put behind me. It's something that I really it hit me hard and it's something that I needed to embrace and understand more and you know, realize like how did I get here? Because I felt like I know how I got here. I know, I know what it is, and I just want to make sure that I don't go back.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wow, Well I was in touch with you. We have texted and been there for each other on surgery days and you know, symptom checking, and we both had not so great recoveries from our lymph node removals, and we we were like.
Speaker 8: What is this?
Speaker 1: What is going on?
Speaker 3: Another thing nobody tells me about, right, like nobody prepares you for it.
Speaker 1: We're like, okay, we're going to go in, we're going to remove the cancer. Well we're gonna have to test some lymph nodes. And you think, okay, no big deal. And then you're like, that recovery is terrible and that scar and that incision and now also it's hard to have your limph fluid drain because you're missing lymph nodes and so you were swelling. It's it's delightful, but it was nice to have you to talk to and to be there for each other and literally everyone in the breast cancer community is the same way. They hear someone else has been diagnosed and give her my phone number, you know, have her reach out to me. Let's talk and we share doctor information and things that we've learned. So it's like I said, it's a group nobody ever wants to join, but once you're in it, you're gonna meet some of the best people ever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you really do. And how are you feeling.
Speaker 1: How is I'm doing? Well? I'm done. I finished my radiation. I've I've finished active treatment, but I still have my you know, I'm taking tamoxifen every day and so there those side effects come and go and have new ones pop up, and I have to find ways of managing those. And but I did have my first clear mammogram just this past June, so exactly, you know, one year later, now my mammogram is clear. So now it's just the trying not to have anxiety on the in between. You know, It's like I was I when I walked in to have my mammogram, I was like, here's the spot where last time I was here it was not so good news. And you know, thankfully now they give you your results after you've had breast cancer. They give you your results right then and there. You don't have to like go do they wait three days? Which is nice because I walked in and I was just like, if they don't tell me real soon, I'm gonna just be sweating for three days. But they told me right then and there.
Speaker 2: Well, as somebody who deals with anxiety all the time, the easiest way to get rid of it is just tell yourself you can't have yeah, like, oh, I just I'm gonna stop being anxious.
Speaker 3: It's just that.
Speaker 1: It's over.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so they actually call it anxiety exactly.
Speaker 2: I could imagine.
Speaker 3: I have seats, tea scans and MRIs that's what I have to do those every three months, and we do blood markers once a month. But I have to wait for my results. I'm not getting them immediate.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, well those MRIs and cts probably yeah. Yeah, Well I wish they would. I wish they would give them to you.
Speaker 2: Just ye, that would help so much, it would.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: You mentioned that you have two daughters, Dylan and Keegan. Uh have they how have they been for you during all of this time? And what is your really what is your overall relationship with like with your girls.
Speaker 3: Well, my oldest lives in New York, so you know, she didn't have to actually witness a lot of it like my young one did. But they're just they're supportive. They they bring me to a place of taking me outside myself too, because it's like you know, when your mom, you it gives you purpose and it keeps you from maybe feeling sorry for yourself or you know, it's like you have stuff to to and you have this role to play or be and you just life is so much bigger than yourself when you're a mom, right or a parent, And so they just really gave me a sense of like responsibility to get healthy and to remain healthy if nothing else. They have done that the most for me and just really sort of looking at me to see how how I'm going to handle it right, And so it's this moment of I have to show them that, you know, you how you handle it? How do you roll up your sleeves and handle this and not crumble? And it's given me a lot of motivation. It's really kind of been my my motivator and and really just giving me my purpose and and having a young one, I you know, I'm an unpaid uber driver. Let's be honest. She's going to be fourteen next week. Actually, so she's you know, twelve, eleven and twelve, and it's yeah, I have to be a mom.
Speaker 1: There's lunches to be made, you know.
Speaker 3: Rides to be given and things to do, which it's such a good distraction.
Speaker 1: Mom.
Speaker 2: It sucks that you're going through this, but I have.
Speaker 3: To be at the Yeah, it's really it's like, kid, are you are you gonna be able to get us at three? Yes? Yeah. But she's been great because she she has to go through it emotionally too with me, And so there were there were moments of like in the beginning when there would be like I would get overwhelmed. I don't know if this happened to you, but I would get overwhelmed or over stimulated. We did you do chemo?
Speaker 1: I did not have to do chemo. Yeah, game changer, I know, I know. It's it's literally the biggest blessing of my situation was I did not need chemo. I can't even imagine, No, I really can't.
Speaker 3: So there's these moments of like feeling overwhelmed in public, like sensory overload was one of my side effects, and so I would look at her and she would say like, are you okay? And we would have we had this moment early on where she said, I don't know what to say or what to do, and I said, it's okay, like neither do I, Right, I just need to sit, like let's just sit and hug and be quiet. And we sort of learned it together like that, and you know, there's no there is no strength. There is nothing stronger than you know, a good hug from your children, you know, or it's just you know, sitting there, quiet and just an understanding of okay, this is so weird. And all I can say is this is too much right now and we're just going to sit and we don't have any answers and we don't have to. And there was just it was powerful.
Speaker 1: What a yeah, yeah, what a blessing that you had her to be able to like you said, like, no, no medicine like a hug from your kids. You know it's true.
Speaker 3: That's yeah. Well, before we let you.
Speaker 1: Go, I want to talk to you about your podcast, Perfectly Twisted. I was recently a guest. Why don't you tell us about that? And and what has it been as meaningful for you as as our podcast has been for us?
Speaker 3: It has. I I wasn't so sure it was gonna be. I was like, I don't know what I'm going to talk about for an hour every day, and I don't know if I want to talk for or every week. I don't know if I want to talk that much. So I got into it, and I really wanted it to be a wide variety of topics and whatever I was feeling like talking about that week, which has been beneficial for me because it's hard for me to stay on track.
Speaker 1: It's hard for me.
Speaker 2: I'm Danielle, Danielle, she keeps us on job. I don't have that.
Speaker 4: That is not me.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I get a lot of joy and I get to talk. It's been sort of a social life. It's been a catch up, it's been a learning experience. It's it's been a lot of things for me, and I love it. I absolutely love it. And I love that I'm not tied to one subject. And I love that it's uncensored and we can talk about whatever and there's no there's no boundaries and it's such freedom. Wow. I love that.
Speaker 1: I remember when you reached out to me and said, hey, can you be a guest on my podcast? And I was like sure, And immediately I thought, Okay, she probably wants to talk about our cancer journeys. And I said great, you know what do you what do you need to know? And she was like, Oh, we do enough talking about that. Let's actually let's let's talk about let's talk about other stuff.
Speaker 9: And I was like, so cool.
Speaker 1: I would I would love that. Let's just have a normal conversation that doesn't involve, you know, cancer.
Speaker 3: Well, don't you feel like that? Some days you really want to talk about it and learn about it. In other days you look like I don't want to hear another word about But.
Speaker 1: There's more to my situation than this thing that happened to me. Well, finally, this year marks thirty years since the finale of Charles in Charge. Did you realize that? Yeah? Yeah, well we ask this of a lot of our guests. But if you could go back in time and tell young Nicole on that set anything from your future self, now, what would you tell her?
Speaker 3: Well, I'd probably tell her to boss up a little bit more. I tell her to make a few more demands, because you know, you you could have it. I would have her speak up, you know, and feel comfortable, find find somebody. Like you were saying, who would be that person? I don't know that I was even you know, able to pinpoint like who that person would be. I think I would help guide her. There is to like, you know, to that, like, you know, speak up for yourself, stand up for yourself. And yeah, I mean there's not much else. Yeah, there's not, you know, because everything else was pretty great. Yeah that's what's so weird. So a lot of it was pretty great. I had, I learned a lot, I had a great time. But I guess I would help guide her into finding a safety.
Speaker 1: I would add too that, you know, when just to tell her, like, you're a survivor, like not just we hear the word survivor now and we think very much directly connected to cancer, but just in general, it sucks that you have to be a survivor. I wish you didn't have to survive the things you've had to survive, but you have. You are a survivor, and you have continued to find new versions of yourself and become a different person and grow and become better every year, and no matter what's been thrown at you. You've survived it and been a flower in the.
Speaker 2: So I appreciate.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that. I really appreciate.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 3: I have a lotus flower on my back because they're a beautiful flowers that grows from mud.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: It's funny that you say that, because I have I've survived. I've survived, and I feel like all the survival things I've been through got me to cancer and now I want to be a Thriver right, Like I'm done. I'm putting like that survivor era behind me and I want a Thriver era.
Speaker 1: Right, And that's it.
Speaker 2: That's great.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for being here with us, Nicole. We would love to have you back on when we get to your episode in season seven, when we get to pick at Fences, we'd love to have you come back on. Maybe you can do a recap with us where we'll watch the you know, each one of us will watch the episode and then we can talk about what, if anything we remember specifically about the weeks. But we'd love to have you back.
Speaker 3: I would love that. Thank you for having me. It was love lovely seeing all you too.
Speaker 1: It's just great, great to see you, thank you for spending your time with us today, and we'll see you again soon.
Speaker 3: Bye. Thanks bye.
Speaker 1: Man. Who she really has She was really at the forefront of a lot of, you know, nineties horror stories. There are there are obviously tons of stories, both positive and negative from that decade, and she really was at the forefront of like some of the worst of them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and yet is not like I wish I could go back and never do it again. She's like, I that was my experience, and yeah, there weren't. There weren't many other options at place, like it just kind of being an actress in the mid nineties. Yeah, it meant you kind of had to put up with something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's not just an actress. I mean I talked to Polinsky about, you know, because I've known Alex for many years, and I talked to him about his time on Charles in Charge. It just wasn't a good apparently, just really toxic place all the way around.
Speaker 1: And imagine, I mean, like at the end, she said, you know, and it just sucks because a lot of other stuff was really great. It's like, you know, it didn't she went she lived through some horrible stuff and it didn't even taint the overall experience of her life during that time. It was just like, man, it's too bad I had to do that, because the rest of it was all pretty awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And she said that too her She's like, I don't live in the past. Like I can't. I can't live in the past. Gotta that's made me who I am today, and I got to look forward.
Speaker 1: And I love it. I love the idea that she's like that survivor era is behind me and now I'm in Thriver Era.
Speaker 2: I love Era.
Speaker 1: I love it out so much. Well, thank you all for joining us for this episode of Pod Meets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram pod Meets World Show. You can send us your emails pod meets World Show at gmail dot com. And we've got merch. We don't hear it.
Speaker 5: We don't hear anything.
Speaker 1: You running to the bay watch music. We can't hear the music.
Speaker 2: It's no, it's too loud.
Speaker 3: I think in the life it.
Speaker 1: Must be too loud. Can you turn down the volume a little bit?
Speaker 2: Oh, it's so good? Can you sing it? Because everything's slow motion? Nothing? Oh my god, it's just it's a David Hasselbob, I love it.
Speaker 1: Pod Meets Worldshow dot com will send us out.
Speaker 2: We love you all, pod this mest Pod Meets World is nheart podcast produced and hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfredell and Ryder Strong executive producers, Jensen Karp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tara sudbachsch producer, Maddy Moore, engineer and Boy Meets World superfan Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon and you can follow us on Instagram at Podmeets World Show or email us at Podmets Worldshow at gmail dot com