Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this special holiday season year end episode of like istal.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, get appropriate appropriate for the theme?
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yes, I see how it's appropriate for the theme. My name's Jack.
Speaker 2: That over there is.
Speaker 1: Sentimentizal spliff old good old saints spliff.
Speaker 3: The way too much of that loud.
Speaker 2: No, it's because I go down the chimneys and my wife says it's actually my pulmonary oncologist says that I'm in a spot of trouble. Good lord.
Speaker 1: It does sound like something that Santa would say to like, get it, get missus claws off his back. It's actually going down the chimneys. It has nothing to do with all the weed I'm smoking.
Speaker 2: It's all the fiberglass. I'm freebasing. You're freebasing fiberglass. Okay.
Speaker 1: My kids are at an age where they're reading a lot of books where the bad guy has like a clue that they're a bad guy in their name, Like Luke Siffer, you know what I mean, like that.
Speaker 2: Wait, where are you going with that one? Luke what Luke Siffer?
Speaker 1: Oh, Lucas Cipher, Yeah, Cipher.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought you're totally fucking up. Star wars. You know, Luke Siff, what's all right? That's a guy right, like dark Valor.
Speaker 1: But so my six year old was like, so do bad guys always have like something in their name that like backwards it like tells you something. And then we we were like, there aren't really many names like that, and I was like, I guess Santa would be though, right if like Satan, you know, it's just anagram. It's like a little two on the notes, Like Santa can't be the bad guy because it's too close. They barely tried to hide it.
Speaker 4: I wonder what kind of Yeah, let's see Santa close. Let's just get some an anagrams, not a not ants casual. That's not like a it's ants casual.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 1: And these answer are way too casual about getting my kids a ant colony for Christmas.
Speaker 2: So with the gel versus the dirt, the dirt whise, Gail's the new kind. You can see right through it and like they light up, so I think you can get I think I can see everywhere. We got that from my nephew a long time ago. Anyway, all that to say, we're here to actually look at grift gift guides with some good ideas, and by good we mean questionable and probably nah fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah that so I was saying, like I was thinking about getting the Aunt Colonies until I saw Gwyneth Paltrow's gift guide GPS picks in particular, that pretty pretty interesting stuff.
Speaker 3: I gotta say, do you.
Speaker 2: Got stuff for kids?
Speaker 3: You know what what is and isn't for kids?
Speaker 2: You know? Yeah? What child wouldn't want an eight thousand dollars vanity because they're remodeling a bathroom.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 1: There's this one that is a stacking ring, which means it's a ring that you can't wear by itself. It's like meant to be stacked with other rings. And it's one thousand, six hundred and forty dollars. So it's like yeah, yea, yeah, yeah, yeah, yah yeah.
Speaker 3: It's just like.
Speaker 1: An add on ring, like an additional baseline ring for year one thousand, six hundred forty dollars.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is the one that I feel because there's always weird shit on the Goop gift guide. I do not what the fuck is mouth tape miles.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad you asked, because I don't fucking know either, mouth tape for the low price of twenty four to ninety five. You can get some VO two mouth tape out mouth breathing in mouth taping. So the description for the uninitiated taping your mouth closed at night forces you to breathe through your nose while you sleep, unless your nose is stuffed up, in which case it kills you is not said there. But and because mouth breathing can be the culprit for all sorts of sleep disruptions like snoring, mouth taping may help you and sound sensitive partners get a better night's rest. This tape set is our favorite. The fabric is a cotton blend with a hypoalergenic medical grade adhesive like a typical bandage. As always, consult with your physician about any sleep issues and use of this product, which could probably kill you.
Speaker 2: I love like with any like. It's not a Goop gift unless you tape the or not tape, unless you wow, it's in the brain, unless you google what the product is and say medically sound yeah, like mouth taping, and then like web md is like again. The thing that makes it a Goop thing is when like, there's not enough evidence to suggest this is a thing that works. Also, if you're snoring like that, Again, they did do the right thing. It's like contact your doctor please, got forty fucking track. They are shut with.
Speaker 1: Nothing if not legally savvy and uh scared of being sued, so they always do the right thing in the end.
Speaker 2: This is there's another one on here that's like an Again, it's a two hundred and forty five thousand dollars a week expedition to Alaska. Uh huh, holy shit, Like I don't even know it's it's basically it's a private super yacht journey through the coastal wilderness and it's the most special way to explore it for only two hundred and forty five thousand dollars a week a week. Yeah, yeah, a week a week. That's but it's very standard. If anyone who's a charter to private super yacht knows, I mean obviously that that's that's quite the norm and.
Speaker 1: Not that actually like for real though, like no cap miles. That shit is a good price.
Speaker 2: Cap on my spending. Yes, that's a fantastic, fantastic, fantastic price.
Speaker 3: Again just to get someone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love all of these in the context of being gifts that you get for somebody. The mouth breathing one in particular like it because the way that sleep apnea and breathe. Other sleep based breathing problems are treated as like by forcing air into your mouth, and this.
Speaker 3: Is like what if the opposite.
Speaker 1: Yeah, instead we deprived it and just like forced you through tough love to nose breathe your way out of apnea. And it also assumes that the obstruction is like in your mouth.
Speaker 2: I feel.
Speaker 1: Kind of you know what I mean, like yeah, yeah, yeah, wouldn't you still get apnea, like even if you're breathing through your nose?
Speaker 2: Well, because it's about an obstruction, right, I think at the back of the danger there. Yeah. Look, I'm no doctor, and I use Scotch tape on my mouth for safety because it's it's not it's very funny. Yeah yeah, yeah yeah yeah. Then there's like just all the wellness gifts in this goof guid, I said, goof guide. It really is. There's just like a sauna tense uh hair brush that I guess is the ultimate hair brush, more salt lamps. Thing I didn't know were body balanced magnets.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you know you haven't. Oh my god, that actually explained so much. I thought you were onto body balance magnets. You don't know about body balanced magnets.
Speaker 2: There their ears, their ear seeds for the whole body ear seeds. Yeah, yeah, yeah, you don't know about ear seeds. That's that's what the description is. It's his body magnets ear slayer like ear seeds for your whole body. Ear seeds are seeds placed on your ear to serve as tiny acupressure devices that it's part of like you know, like acupunctures of world. But now they're saying you can put they just realign you by putting these stickers on your.
Speaker 3: Oh hell yeah, uh.
Speaker 1: I just saw on I Believe Instagram the Ultimate Gift Guide Instagram a like body sock thing that is being sold as a treatment for ADHD. It's like you put yourself in a body sock that like puts pressure all over your body and that somehow allows you to sleep with ADHD.
Speaker 3: Oh so yeah, just does it work? Oh yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: I'll go like based on the performance of the person in the commercial, because it did have some real infomercial vibes to it. But yeah, it seems it seems like they were sleeping like a baby.
Speaker 2: It does say for for children with sensory processing disorders like autism or ADHD, body socks can play a significant role in helping these children improve their emotional I don't know that's from that's from a website.
Speaker 1: The people in the commercial were adults and they were just like ooh cozy and didn't look it did look very good to me, So I might try that ship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. Shall we move on to Oprah?
Speaker 1: A couple other things from Gwyneth. One of my favorite things that she's ever posted is a photograph of her groceries and she was like, this is all you can afford on like snap payments for a whole week of groceries like that, basically like that, it's fucked up. We need to give poor people more money. But then like her groceries that she was buying where it was like clearly an organic market. It was like eight lines and you know, basically just the ingredients for organic guacamole. Like the pricing was fucking wild. There was no like beans or rice or any of the staples. So I do just have to shout out a couple of the food gifts that she's recommending like an eighty eight dollars seasonal citrus box grown with love and picked by hand in Ohi Valley, a mere eighty eight dollars for some.
Speaker 2: For three pairs, three loose pairs exactly.
Speaker 1: They just come in in an Amazon box, just loose, just.
Speaker 2: Fucking all mushed up too. Yeah, oh god.
Speaker 1: And then we have this luxury Grand Master Chess Pieces set.
Speaker 3: What makes your kid? You can make such luxury?
Speaker 1: You ask it being completely fucking impractical because inside this handsome green croc embossed briefcase, this it appears to be made of crocodile skin on the outside is a complete chest set handcrafted in Los Angeles from rich dark and white chocolate. Use the pieces to play on the green and white board and when the game is over blown up a teat my friend three hundred and fifty dollars for a chess set. Uh that you can use once? Wow, and then you're you're meant to eat it or it's just gonna like melting your on your fingers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's you're not fucking playing with that. What do you do? You have to play like in a fucking open like outside in the cold, so your body heat doesn't transfer to the chocolate to keep it intact exactly. I would eat that shit in one though. I know, Oprah, are you there? What happened? Where's your favorite things? This is my thing, I gotta say up top talking about Oprah's Gift Guide. We have fallen, so we have fallen so far from the the original intent of Oprah's Gift Guide. What used to be the reat Yeah, we're like, what is fucking billionaire Oprah by? What the fuck is in her house? And that was kind of like what the Oprah Gift Guide get like. It was a sure many things that were some practical, most kind of like very impractical, completely out of the reach of most people. And now it's gone completely the other way where it's now fucking I mean, this makes sense. Oprah's a billionaire. It's now quote powered by Amazon, uh huh, and everything is like shit that in my mind, I'm like, Oprah wouldn't be caught dead using this fucking thirty dollars towel. I'm sorry, you're not. I don't believe it anymore. And it's now the Amazon has fully captured Oprah's Gift Guide, And I just got to say it's it's a shame because I just I don't know who to trust anymore. I don't know if my wife will like these adjustable gold initial rings because I don't see Oprah wearing them.
Speaker 4: Even though it does spell out Oprah.
Speaker 1: You can only get Oprah's initials. You can't get it any other initial That's all we got, right now, That's all we got. I just I just have the full knuckle ring that with Oprah written across them, like can do the right thing. It's yeah, so it's a genius idea. Like there there are very famous people I'm sure Oprah's one of them, who are known for giving like really great Christmas get. Like if you get on their list, then you like get Tom Cruise has a coconut cake that he sends to people that is like legendary and like once you're on the list, you stay.
Speaker 3: On the list.
Speaker 1: You always like a coconut cake and it's supposed to be unbelievable. I think it's probably pretty good. But people love talking about how they're on Tom Cruise's coconut cake list.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a very la weird thing. People will be like name check. They're like, yeah, actually, I just got Tom's caken't. I mean, I don't know. I know a person tangentially who gets a cake and they talk about it all the time. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they send out like Etn's they send out a Christmas card update that's just like still their list.
Speaker 2: Their holiday card is them with the Tom Cruise cake. They're like always in his heart.
Speaker 3: I would do that. I would totally Christmas.
Speaker 1: But so it makes sense, like this idea that like get the gifts for people that like Oprah would get them, you know, like celebrities get the best gifts like when they go to the Oscars or whatever, and then probably give the best gifts, and that was the idea behind the Oprah gifts and instead now yeah, it's just like having a website that just gives you the things that Amazon would already highlight for you.
Speaker 2: Well, because I think the de evolution of this was eventually then people you could game Oprah. You could give her a bunch of shit get on the list or buy your way on the list. Probably to the point now it's like, yeah, Oprah is loving the Apple Beats Studio pro Kim Kardashian Collaborative headphones.
Speaker 3: Uh huh oh yeah, oh Oprah I love that shit.
Speaker 2: Then there's one for I think people who are in just infinitely there's a thing in la that people always say on hiking shows. It also feels like aimed at people of color who play music while hiking, where it's mostly people, like, people are playing so much music on the hiking trails, I can't believe it anymore. I get one thing, if you're like blasting music and you're trying to make it about you, but whatever, if you're like just walking by someone, they got some it doesn't bother me. The wilderness is vast. There's a fucking water bottle that has a built in Bluetooth speaker in it that I'm like, Okay, this feels like the most like for the annoying person in your life, get it? Uh? But yeah, that one just feels like this. This would cause a lot of disruptions on Runyon Canyon, where people are already like everyone's got a Bluetooth speaker when they hike. It's because they're promoing their SoundCloud.
Speaker 1: That's right, they're just their album just dropped on Runying can At Ruingying Canon, there's a pair of sneakers that are also high heels, like you know how people in New York they walk to work in sneakers and then like put on the heels, put on the fancy shoes. These split that difference by retscha. Yeah, they are the icon.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I can't can't picture, can't quite picture Oprah Rockleys. But I've been wrong before.
Speaker 2: These like this again, this feels I mean, look, Oprah has completely fallen from grace, She's platformed all the bad doctors you can imagine. But now a shoe like this, I feel bad for someone's Like, oh, Oprah said, these nasty looking They look like prescription shoes. Yeah, like it kind of blows your mind looking at it, Like it looks like a weird running shoe with a big elastic strap with a locking heel on it. I don't know, but apparently Gail wore these for twelve hours straight. Ope. So but why in order to well the thing is I believe not true at all and just used to sell.
Speaker 1: Let's take a quick break, we'll come back. We'll look at some other are the cool gift guides.
Speaker 3: We'll be right back.
Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by eBay. Whatever you love find it on eBay. eBay Things People, love and Miles up here on your wall in the corner like Spider Man, Why did you paint yourself the same tone as my wall paint? That can't be safe. I was going for the thing from that iconic Pink Floyd poster, you know that where the girls are all painted with different album covers. Reference, yes, very timely reference. Did you have that poster? I did not, but it was like one of the cooler posters that was more high school freshman year of college poster.
Speaker 2: I feel like, what's like one of your favorite posters that you do you think about?
Speaker 1: So I lived in a dormant high school and I had my room covered in every Wu Tang album cover from thirty six Chambers up through Wu Tang Forever. Wow, And that was like all I wanted on my wall. I think I actually had a couple of movie posters, but like I had the wall of Wu Tang at a New England prep school.
Speaker 2: I guess like between the two, wouldn't there really only be thirty six chambers in Wuta Forever in that time period?
Speaker 3: You know all the solo jizzu.
Speaker 2: Oh, then you would have like maybe ghost Face Killer. Oh yeah, yeah, I got it. Got got it.
Speaker 1: But the one that I feel like is the most iconic poster of my childhood is the Jordan Wings poster.
Speaker 2: Okay, when you said wings, I thought you were talking about Paul McCartney and I was like, oh boy, yeah, you.
Speaker 1: Don't know that one. Paul McCartney's been wings are chilling. But like I had it in my room. My math teacher had it up in her room. Oh, that's the one where his arms are fully out like that, his arms are fully out to the side. It's like wider than it is tall. It's supposed to be like life size. Wait what teacher did you say? My math teacher? Yo, this is so funny now I think about your science teacher had it in his office. Yeah, this was like I think, Yeah, I'm a cool teacher. I got the Wings poster.
Speaker 3: It's like I love Michael Jordan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everybody has Jordan posters, but I'm also kind of into art and poetry, because like, this one's black and white and he's just like kind of staring into your soul. And it has a William Blake quote on it, which I had totally forgotten until I looked it up on eBay today, the quote being no birds soars too high if he soars with his own wings, which I hadn't really thought about at the time. Not really a good quote, right, nobody's ever really accusing birds of soaring too high, too.
Speaker 2: High would come down.
Speaker 3: Who do you think you are?
Speaker 1: A bird? As you can see behind me, I am rocking. I have the poster from a Walkman concert that I went to. You can get movie posters, you can get concert posters. All that stuff exists on eBay. But I think I got to add a wings poster to my backdrop. What do you think?
Speaker 2: Well, look, if wings are your thing, we all got a thing and it's on eBay. Maybe it's fashion, car parts, trading cards, retro posters, anything you can collect. So go find the thing that keeps you up at night. Whatever you love, find it on eBay. eBay things people love.
Speaker 3: And we're back.
Speaker 2: We're back.
Speaker 1: And there's another group that you know is buying gifts receiving gifts. Won't you please think of the mega people, the poor mega people who didn't get invited, some of them to Thanksgiving dinner.
Speaker 3: But now they're like, we don't care, man, We've got the White House.
Speaker 2: Things are cool, We've got our own gifts. We're I look, I was looking. I was trying to just think of gift guides that would make my head explode. Yeah, and I searched for a Democrat gift guide. Oh no, no energy right now, there's no energy. There's no energy there, there's nothing like. The most you can get are like Etsy stores that are kind of like for the Democrat in your life, and it will be like Trump is bad, but the same store will be like and here's a Maga potholder if you want that also. But yeah, on the Daily Mail, they've put together all these like grifty fucking nonsense objects for people to you know, use to give the violent racist in their life a fun gift, like.
Speaker 1: For the violent racist in their life to get for them after they're not invited Thanksgiving as a like aha in your.
Speaker 2: Face, I'm coping. Guess what I don't need Thanksgiving? When I have this one hundred and eighty dollars pickleball paddle with forty five on it. Okay, that's a pass. There is another one like a mini Trump bluetooth speaker pass. I mean, look, I'm going to pass on all of these except for the pajamas.
Speaker 3: Now, the pajamas round seventy five dollars a mirror.
Speaker 1: I must be five dollars that they've got stars all over the They look like they couldn't look any more like they cost thirty five dollars. Oh yeah yeah yah, yeah, yeahyeah they are. They might as well have the price stitched into them, like fifteen to thirty five. I'd say it's the top that you're going to go.
Speaker 2: This is an interesting one too that he's also selling a football like a like a flask that's shaped like a football and one end screws off and you put I'm guessing alcohol, and a flask isn't for water, So you can drink from a football with Trump and blazoned on it. So people have a reason to kick you out of a youth sports.
Speaker 1: Game, right because yeah, So the idea with the flask is that you're disguising your booze as a thing that is not noticeable and like would otherwise be.
Speaker 2: There, you know, right, like put that on your bookshelf, right.
Speaker 1: Exactly, you just have a book and then you just like take a steal a quick swig from it. We've all been there, but a very clearly like toy football like plastic football, like it doesn't look like a leather football at all with Trump written on it is not a thing that exists in reality in any way.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I think because most of this shit is basically like, let's go to a website where they're mass producing stuff. What can we print Trump on? Boom there it is now charge seven times what it actually costs, and hey, grift complete.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I will say that the navy blue pajamas do look a little bit more like they cost one hundred and seventy five dollars. The ones that I was talking about are the star printed pajama bottoms that are a mere seventy two dollars but look like they should cost twenty five dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's actually speaking of grifts. I also did do something I just again, I'm like, what's a fucking weird Like can my brain summon? I was like, what about crypto gift Guide? Oh? Hell yeah, there are now talking many So there's like a bunch where it's like you can fucking turn your car into like a crypto mining operation. Like this is so dystopian, I don't want to talk about it. Wow, it's like the normal, like the normy stuff that they sell that is like absolutely fucking off the rails. One is a hoodie that costs one hundred and ninety five dollars. It's all black. But the reason this is actually very chill. There is an NFC chip okay that that's integrated into the fabric that will verify the authenticity of your garment on chain and you can access exclusive content in community features by tapping.
Speaker 3: This no longer the thing, it's now NFC.
Speaker 2: No. NFC is like the technology used for like Apple pay and stuff.
Speaker 3: Got it okay, yeah, yeah, yeah, yea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the very it's a it's a technology, yes, yes, yes, yes.
Speaker 3: It's also leak in the NFL. It's like one of the leaves in the NFL.
Speaker 2: But exactly it's near field communication.
Speaker 3: Is near field communication of course miles.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly exactly. Then there's this other one. Let me allow me, allow me to show you Jack, because this is absolutely beautiful for the lady in your life or a person who just cares about their nail job. Their manicure is important. Even get a chipped nail set, a programmable press on nail set for sixty four dollars that it features quote NFC enabled nails like fingernails that can connect to blockchain experiences in cryptos.
Speaker 3: What the fuck?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah I don't yeah, uh yeah, so what can I just keep walk me through what that would even mean? You can like walk in and just put your nails somewhere and it would be able to like pay for that thing with your nails.
Speaker 3: Essentially.
Speaker 2: Uh I guess here here's how they are selling it, because again I I'm I have no idea what the fuck they're talking about? Is there hole one? Is there a promo video?
Speaker 1: There seems to be like a promoh flash animation. You go to the website that disappears pretty quickly. They only had like five seconds worth of like hypothetic goal. This is how it's used.
Speaker 2: Okay, so here here this is how they're selling it. Tap connect and slay all day. Be that girl with the tech nails out drop dead Gorge press ons have NFC chips in the in the thumbs, so you can stay in the moment and effortlessly share your customizable links by tapping your nail to any smartphone. Okay, so anything that does I get like NFC reading as a phone you can basically, oh you want my ig or you want my podcast here, let me put my fingernail up to your phone and then snail that looks like grotesquely enlarged.
Speaker 3: I will say like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hey, have you ever seen like one of those magic sets where they have the fake thumb that you like hide stuff in and it's like big, it's like three sizes too big and plastic. That's what the nail looks like. It's like puffing off and like way too big for the thumb on the Like they could have just done a press on noil and been like, yeah, that's basically the idea, but they show how shitty their product looks in this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's failing as a press on nail. Like how much technology is in there that it looks like you're putting on like like a gigantic piece of gum on your finger. That's my thumb. That's just my thumb. Very normal, very normal.
Speaker 3: Like fungal infection on your nail or what's happening?
Speaker 2: No, it's actually a near field communication chip. Actually, bring your phone here, Yeah, check out my website.
Speaker 1: And then the person just jumped off the building that you were talking to them on right.
Speaker 2: Then there's crypto gift cards. It's just I'm again, I'm.
Speaker 1: Not two most valuable things crypto gift cards.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the NFC fingernails I think is probably a winner in terms of like who the fuck's buying that? But I'm look zeitgang. If you know somebody and that works for them, please get them the chipped nail set so they can share their LinkedIn with someone.
Speaker 1: Are they doing tongue in cheek or like, did the crypto bros who came up with this not even think about the fact that like chipped nails are a bad thing, Like you know what I mean, like somebody chipping their nails is dead. Like I wonder if that even if that if they were like, yeah, that'll be like a fun tongue in cheek thing, or if they were like what are you what are you talking about chipped nails?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't understand.
Speaker 2: I'm wondering if this this feels like, you know, like at a group of like uh NFC like crypto enthusiast type people, like they're doing like a brainstorming thing and it's just a bunch of dudes been like dude, okay, so you can ship anything, right, Like women their fingernails, right, Okay, Yeah, they want to share their like Instagram or whatever, and then they can put that on their nail. So rather than out loud to just say a handle to someone, they can be like, put your phone on my thumb to get this. Yeah. This is sick, dude, this is sick. It's also yeah, anyone I anyone you know who's serious about getting manicures. They're serious about how their fingernails look. Yeah, in my experience, absolutely, you know what I mean. And some some busted ass fucking press on nails with a fucking NFC chip. That is for someone who is so outside of.
Speaker 1: The like, yeah, it hasn't crossed their mind. She has nails. So yeah, it's uh, if these scammers are anything worth their salt, If they these are scammers worth anything. This is a final sale product because every single if it's not, every single instance of this being bought for someone is going to get returned. Yeah, they're all going back unless this ship is final sale.
Speaker 2: Okay, they do have I will, I will just to let we can hear it from them on their TikTok channel that only has six hundred followers. This is the one where they're trying to make it look like it's a real influencer type person being like, have you guys heard about this new rage? It doesn't even have three hundred views, but this is them trying to act like we're solving a problem.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so you've probably seen this nsc now trend all of a TikTok and you're probably like, how about how are you that for myself? And I had to program. I don't know what to get the chips my na do. I nows myself, Babe, don't worry. We literally made them in bressans so you can just like tap your phone.
Speaker 3: Oh, she's showing you the giant thumbnail.
Speaker 5: I'm literally taking as a gift to my lashtack right now.
Speaker 2: And the video's over. Not one. They didn't give you one look at what the fingernails look like on your hands, because they're like, bro, it's a l if. Anyone looks too close.
Speaker 3: Real quick.
Speaker 1: She gave you like a real quick glimpse of her own thumbnail, and it is massive.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It looked like she like was like doing some like DIY handy work and like was using a hammer and accidentally blast did her thumb like trying to put a nail in, but.
Speaker 3: Anyway, give yourself hammer thumbs. Well.
Speaker 1: Also, you know, being able to show people your website a thing that I'm always wanting to show people my website or my Instagram just by sticking my hand next to their phone. So yeah, and if this worked and was useful at all, their videos would probably have more than two hundred and seventy views.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they're trying, They're trying. They're trying.
Speaker 1: They are out here trying, they are fighting for their lives out here.
Speaker 3: People.
Speaker 1: Let's take a quick break and we'll come back and we'll close out with finally AI has come for the gifting world, and regular gift guides are nervous.
Speaker 3: We'll be right back, and we're back.
Speaker 2: We're back.
Speaker 1: And I thought this said the grift list, but that was just my brain promoting onto it. So all of these have gone the way like this used to be a very common form of media, like every type of every magazine, you know, a lot of different editorial institutions would have their gift guides.
Speaker 3: It would be written by a person and now craft, what's that is you doing?
Speaker 2: It cracked?
Speaker 1: We did not do want it cracked, but we had to fight tooth and nail to not do one.
Speaker 2: It was parent companies would be like, what about a gift guide guys.
Speaker 3: I don't think we did.
Speaker 1: But anyway, the I remember saying no to it once, that doesn't mean it never snuck through. But now this whole genre feels like AI slop a little bit, like I'll like even the when and who's never steered? Oh yeah before like her AI, her gift guide feels like it was just you know, being generated as you searched through it, right, So why not just go right to the source and use AI to generate a gift guide specifically for the very specific person you have in mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, and powered by chat GPT. Yeah, they're all using chat GPT. There have been some articles or people like I like how some there are clearly the websites that are in bed with AI and they're like, wow, this makes holiday shopping easier. Then there's ones from seeing that that says I asked AI to help me create a holiday gift list. I won't make that mistake again. Oh really, yeah, Because again, what it's doing is it's like, give us a description of a person, and we will give you the ultimate gift guide. So I think it's probably appropriate that we would Jack, you and I would find a way to use AI to get each other gifts. How would you, yeah, for the purposes of a gift guide, how would you describe yourself to an AI to see if it can get some of the things you want? Because there's my version, which is a little bit tongue in cheek, but I feel like I was trying to give it details. I said, Jack is a forty something what I'm old?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's incorrect, all right, So I would say, I'm like, you know, cool dad, Like you know cool dad first and foremost, Wow, and the artist?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So Jack is it? Okay? Artist who loves athletics, hero and he is a hero.
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think this is going to generate something really really good for you. Jack is a forty four year old cool dad and artist who loves athletics and is a hero. Yeah. I think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 2: Okay, So this is this is from Cool Gift Ideas, which is AI powered. Uh, Jack, Let's see what it's going to create for you. And I will also use another one called gift list, and we can compare and contrast. So here is what we got for Wow. The generated gift ideas are here. Here's a g I Joe sort of graphic, same graphics as g I Joe, says Dad, real American hero. So it took that literally? Yea, the artists never retire book by it's.
Speaker 3: A murder, she wrote, dying hire.
Speaker 2: Huh, what the fuck is that? That didn't even it's Wow, this is how fucking inaccurate is Then you click the link, it doesn't even show up on the other side. A watercolor paint set, an athletic gear organizer bag that looks like it just has four slots for something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is that it looks like maybe a thing like a portable bowling shoe container is kind of what, Yeah, it looks like, or you.
Speaker 2: Can carry four bowling shoes at a time. A running belt with a water bottle. A cool dad baseball cap that says working on this dad body. Oh god, some of the worst art I've seen. Yeah, this is actually probably the worst.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this shit, I guess I shouldn't have gone so hard on my how artistic and cool I am.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this other one just says so many are like, get him a Duffel bag or under armoor hoodie. Yeah, you should get it armor hoodie.
Speaker 3: Yes, that can add it in on the jersey. Sure, dude, that is.
Speaker 2: Actually probably the most accurate thing for saying you're like a dad who thinks he's a hero and is into sports.
Speaker 3: And shit like that.
Speaker 2: It's like, yeah, dude, that's an you're you're an under armour hoodie.
Speaker 1: I was kind of waiting to see if it gave me like any thin blue line stuff, you know.
Speaker 3: No, just no, no thin blue line under armour.
Speaker 2: How would you describe me? Jack?
Speaker 1: So, I said, forty year old hip hop NBA lover, new dad, And I did this a while ago, totally not as you were searching for mine, And I think I think it came up with like some some fun stuff.
Speaker 2: Okay are you oh you want me to Okay?
Speaker 3: Are you doing?
Speaker 2: Sorry? You said four year old hip hop lover.
Speaker 3: Hip hop, NBA loving new.
Speaker 2: Dad, NBA loving new dad. Oh that that lack of proper syntax is gonna fuck this AI right up here we go. Let's fire up cool gifts and then let's also enter it over here on gift list. Let's see what we got gift list. Who's coming first? How many trees are we burning right now? By even asking it to do this. I'm very sorry about that. Let's see. First one is a dad jokes book, an NBA onesie here enjoyed the Baby Sneakers? Yeah, you know I would.
Speaker 1: This is so because I did the exact same search term in it gave me different results like hip.
Speaker 2: Hop remix album no Get the Fuck out of Here? Yeah.
Speaker 1: Hip Hop Baby a collection of classic rap songs. A fun and engaging music album as we call them that brings classic hip hop tracks into a family friendly setting. Hip Hop Baby a collection of classic rap songs. And then you go to that, Yo.
Speaker 2: This is a violation. Is you think this is racist?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 2: Baby Carrier for new Dads? It had a black guy. Wow, you think it was beating NBA loving hip hop?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 2: Here you go, pal and they're like, here you might like this baby Carrier.
Speaker 1: Wait, the chat GPT one when you click on it, it like just takes you to, like doesn't really take you to the thing that it says it's going to take you to. So it says hip Hop Baby a collection of classic rap songs. I go to that and it just takes me to a thing that's that is a bunch of like baby onesies that say smooth since days of under rus, but not.
Speaker 3: The product that they were talking about, the jack.
Speaker 2: It's their gift. Guides are gonna halloon a time. That's the bad thing. You've got to understand.
Speaker 1: They just like made up a product that doesn't exist, and then we're like hoping that you wouldn't click through to say. It's also like weird paintings of shirtless rappers on here.
Speaker 2: Oh that well, which ones?
Speaker 3: This one is h u I b A l I.
Speaker 1: Huey Biley rapper, little music, baby tapestry rap hip hop.
Speaker 2: It's like giving making up rappers from AI who's Huey bite No not me, not me, not me?
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 1: Interesting, Yeah, it's a mess out here in the in the world of I thought.
Speaker 2: I mean, honestly, I think just by like broken clock is right twice a day and all that, I feel like the best thing was thinking that a mid forties dad who thinks he's a hero would wear under ourmor hoodie.
Speaker 3: Yeah they didn't.
Speaker 2: That was like that was sort of spot on in a way that I don't think they even realized how accurate that was. So uh, but I think the fact remains don't use them. God, I really want list a joke is I used it? And this is what Chad GBT thinks you are as a person. Although I would be offended if I got that shitty baby carrier because it was just a black dad on it.
Speaker 1: Here you go, pal, Yeah, I feel like the it's so interesting that they like give you descriptions of things that you might want to hear, and then when you click through, like that thing that product doesn't exist.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Wow, it's almost like that's a big flaw with AI. It's telling me what it thinks you want to hear rather than what not that there's like an objective truth over what a forty four year old dad or forty year old new dad who likes NBA and hip hop. Uh.
Speaker 1: The fact they have to lie to like get you yeah, like, oh yeah, we got a great gift guide idea for you man.
Speaker 3: Hell yeah, dude, Like check out this.
Speaker 1: It's like a collection of classic rap songs, but it's for babies. And then it's just a onesie that says picture me strolling they hating that's what it clicks through to.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, all right, that's that Just that almost killed my Christmas spirit. That's what I think. At the end of the day, we just need to keep sending our letters to the North Pole. Yeah, where they're heard and thank you.
Speaker 3: All right, those are that's where lives, right, North Pole.
Speaker 2: That's part of Monacito, California.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, those are the gift guid the only gift guides on the entire Internet. We hope that you heard something in there that was uh, you know, struck your fancy and it's going to be useful to you. Bad job the Internet. It's getting worse out here, I think.
Speaker 2: I think the lesson here is that the gift guide era is fully dead. Like it all seems so impersonal. It looks like AI generated nonsense. There's no description, no reason to anything. A lot of it is just merely tied to the name of a celebrity and they're like that's good enough. Again, I think the best gift guide you can do is listening, you know. Yeah, because I'm the way, I've had to change my gift guide skills to just be like panic. Searching the Internet in December to try and find a gift is like being always being like, oh, okay, you wanted to borrow this from someone, Okay, you might I might get you one of these. Oh you like, oh you like how this thing looks on me?
Speaker 4: Okay, I might have to get you one of those.
Speaker 2: Okay, I have a little notes section, Mike. Yeah, that's how.
Speaker 1: You do it, because that's all the great gift given notes and it is a fairly recent creation.
Speaker 3: But I feel like the best episode.
Speaker 2: The best givers, I think are people who listen.
Speaker 3: And unassible listen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's the secret. Don't use AI or use.
Speaker 1: AI and say what would a thoughtful listener get for this person?
Speaker 2: Here's their name in Information and Social Security. Please please please specifically to them.
Speaker 1: All right, We're going to be back with more holiday themed content, more year end episodes. We are off not doing updating episodes every day, but we got more year end episodes coming out, more best of the year episodes that you guys voted on. So tune in to that on the weekdays and we will talk to you all then bye bye to