Speaker 1: Of Course Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio. This classic episode was produced by the team at Pandora. Ladies and gentlemen, Welcome to QLs Classic Episode one, Gabrielle Union from twenty nineteen. We pretty much navigate her life growing up in all places of Nebraska and that journey that took her all the way to Hollywood with all of its lure, beauty and trappings.
Speaker 2: It's pretty much a good one, y'all. Hope you enjoyed Gabrielle Union QLs Classic. Let's go here, we go, Let's go subpremon S.
Speaker 3: Sun Supreme A Roll Supremo Sun Sun Supremo Roll Call, SUBPRIMEA su Sun Suprema Roll Supremeau subs.
Speaker 2: Love is here. Yeah on this road call. Yeah, bringing the finest woman. Yeah from Ohmar.
Speaker 3: Supprima S Supremo Roll Call Suprima Sun Supremo Roll Call.
Speaker 2: My name is Fante.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I ain't ate cents lunch. Yeah, but I'm chilling with Gabby.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Fuck Kirsten Dunce.
Speaker 3: Pram roll call Supremer Supreme roll Call.
Speaker 2: What's up Supreme? Yeah, we're on a roll. Yeah, We're in the house. Yeah, of Na King Cole Suprima su.
Speaker 3: Su Supprimo roll call. Supprima So Supremo roll call.
Speaker 1: Yeah, best show of all time. Yeah, we want to catch us slipping. Yeah, we're gonna need more wine.
Speaker 3: Suppremo roll call. Suprema Sun Supremo roll call.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And my girl she the ship. Yeah, yep, this is Gabby. Yeah, now bring it.
Speaker 1: Up.
Speaker 3: Prema s sup Primo roll call, sup Prema Sun sup Pramo role call.
Speaker 4: My name is Nikki.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like a guy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, who's tall?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Anna Jock.
Speaker 3: Suprema up frame a roll, I got it. Suprema Son Supremo roll call. Supprema Son Son Supremo role cal Supprema Son Son.
Speaker 2: So brame my role came. Nice. Ladies and gentlemen, Wait, why is it so sound like it's your funeral? Yeah?
Speaker 5: I think that was the funeral of my rap career, my person.
Speaker 2: Last second, he did a character reference and you did well. You know.
Speaker 1: Anyway, ladies and gentlemen, welcome to another episode of course left.
Speaker 2: Wow, I feel like we were just here. I know hes going on and.
Speaker 6: Where we're Capitol Records in Hollywood, California.
Speaker 2: It's like we live here. Yeah, our fourth weekend road without showering changing. Yeah, anyway, we got a Yeah, how man, how's married life? And life is good? Man?
Speaker 6: It's it's it's boring and it means it's the great thing, which means no surprise. It's nothing to report. We are doing great. We watched our h G t V.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: We we you know, grilled chicken. You know we do our dancing on Sundays. Yeah, we just do old watch Nigga ship. We should be chilling.
Speaker 2: That's all you can ask for. Gabby is really laughing anything any happenings are you cool?
Speaker 4: It's like everything is opposite now I'm good, okay, great in your teeth though, this is a smile. No, this is real because because gats here, so I'm excited.
Speaker 2: We've been trying to get here for Yes, Boss Bill, everything's okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm still breathing, not in jail, got all my teeth. You know, my money is straight okay? And Tucker Steve, how's the network? We're thriving, bro?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Any any developments are uh, We're thriving. Okay. Uh. Today our guest is activists author. Yeah, I gotta start with activists alphabetical order. Yeah. Wait what alphabet is the activist? She's author a yeah? Or is that the is that the new ghetto or he got like.
Speaker 4: Order?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Of all her professions, you skipt alligator high school long ago. Okay, anyway we have most importantly, she's a good friend and uh one of my favorite people ever. Please welcome from Omahabraska. Gabrielle Union.
Speaker 4: Yeah, bang bang Mary kanang.
Speaker 2: Listen.
Speaker 6: I just want to say, man, the scene Okay, I before I forget it's been a long day. Look the scene. Because my wife she watched the show. I didn't watch the show.
Speaker 4: Was not me, but she does.
Speaker 2: She got me in. She pulled me in, like because I be on the college and I'm like what is this and I'm looking and then by like the end of the show, I'm like, oh ship, you know what I mean. It pulled me in.
Speaker 6: It was it was so it was I was enthralled. So the scene where the dad please forgive me for miss up the characters where the dad kicks the mom kicks sure Gaby at the house when Nikka yeah yeah, favored like, oh no this show, she you're about to go, I.
Speaker 2: D you want to.
Speaker 4: I had I really wanted to.
Speaker 7: I thought to make sure that whoever was going to break up shaft and should.
Speaker 2: Was worth it.
Speaker 4: And we fought to get the hand. Who else that was a wonderful cast.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, he and he wanted to do like the whole operation. He was the oldest of our senior actors. And he was like, no, well Billy d Williams Williams what he was unavailable? But no, but the Hammer wanted to do it topless like he and wardrobe was like no, no, how about a shirt and he's like, fuck you no, see these nipples?
Speaker 4: It was hammer tat we're talking.
Speaker 2: About Yeah, when I when I was watching it, Okay, so I like the show.
Speaker 8: I do.
Speaker 2: I do like that. I want to speak clear. I do like the show. My wife that got me finished to our movie.
Speaker 4: I'm talking about them.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing now, when I saw that exact scene, the way she kind of walked out the door, I hit you up and I was like, is it is it wrong for me to say I kind of maybe crush on.
Speaker 4: Crushes?
Speaker 5: And I said, you were not the first person to tell me that falling. Oh, she has a very active life.
Speaker 4: I believe she believes active.
Speaker 5: Her on social media. She's she will take you from the club to the swap mate.
Speaker 4: She is, Yes, she must be like Vanessa Bell Calloway tribe right, like that seems like I'm a little older old, but she's slopping seventy two or three.
Speaker 7: But she's she's an active senior. She's like they go to the club. Like she wears like all leather outfits. Y. Yeah, she does inspirational workout videos.
Speaker 4: Listen, we all have everything.
Speaker 5: Sugar and he dick picks.
Speaker 4: Is she single?
Speaker 5: I do not think so. But she does not post her too. Yeah, I wonder if they have arguments.
Speaker 4: You are posting me on m c M.
Speaker 6: Like what she's doing what the young people call staying low and buildings ride.
Speaker 2: And shot the ground.
Speaker 5: Damn right?
Speaker 4: How is she? You look at her in his yellow dress?
Speaker 5: Po po wow, that would be a New York and Company dress.
Speaker 4: What she's a supporter?
Speaker 2: She is a supporter.
Speaker 4: Need to go to New York Company.
Speaker 5: I know you was doing it like this jumpsuit as well from the latest collection.
Speaker 4: I can't how many job as per my prenup A lot?
Speaker 2: Yes, I love it, I love I love it, I got it. I love it.
Speaker 4: We all start at the beginning. We'd be doing Boss.
Speaker 2: Going go in.
Speaker 4: I didn't know he was going in on the Mary Jane because I was gonna. Okay, So because you were, so, can we start at the beginnings of Mary Jane and maybe just move around? So the casting process, because we were talking about it already, you were, I know you're all in correct, like from the inception, not from the inception.
Speaker 7: Season three is when I became an executive producer, so I had more say so. So the first couple of seasons, no, I would you would show up to work and be like, oh.
Speaker 5: You're here today, So this post this is post Omari, which can we just say? Yeah?
Speaker 7: So I wish I had to I could take credit for Amary, but I cannot. Yeah, that was that was mar and Salem. But Elie Morris Chestnut, who we will see in the series finale more, Oh, there's more.
Speaker 1: I have to make it sad with series finale and the series finale, how many okay, how.
Speaker 2: Many episodes are you doing for the final season?
Speaker 7: Don't give me this, it's a series finale film. So we started off the show with a movie, yeah, two hour movie, and we're ending the show with a two hour movie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm The last episode was Michael Eely being like fucking up and then you being like I want oh, so it's more okay.
Speaker 7: And then I wanted just to, you know, make it a little saucy. So I was like, mo, you come, will you come work with us for a little bit? And he was kind enough to agree.
Speaker 2: Decisionsses you just know walking out.
Speaker 7: No, I mean, if if it was up to us, we would have done more. But you know, things, things have changed a bit of always do a network things.
Speaker 2: I was just.
Speaker 5: Oh, I didn't sign in DA.
Speaker 2: They had to make room for what episodes of Rebel.
Speaker 4: Misunion did not signd noting for Cosby. So wait says you didn't. Was there a problem with this storyline? Was that the real issue? Because it's like so many issues. Rumors about why there was the whole suing.
Speaker 5: Would be you can't sue for a storyline.
Speaker 4: It was like a lot of different things like, well, she wants more control, she wants more controlled of creative.
Speaker 5: How much more control can you have than being executive producer?
Speaker 4: Rumors.
Speaker 7: I don't read blogs, so I don't know neither. I only know like headlines what I see for no and I thought it was super clear. Whyse dude, I don't know how it could have been misinterpreted. No, we made it a financial agreement. And a lot of what a lot of networks will do is they will try to combine seasons. So if you make it, say you get a raise from seasons three to four and four to five. The way a lot of networks will save money is by combining have a super size six. Yeah, so when they do that, everybody loses money. Well that the cast, the crew, everyone loses money that way. So until someone takes a stand like I did legally and say, no, we had a you know, we had a legal agreement each episode each season was going to be no more than thirteen, no less than eight, and you can't do that. You have to pay me as individual seasons, including my races. So I just sued them to get them to do what they said, what they agreed to.
Speaker 2: But that was it. Everything else, and that was that.
Speaker 6: What happened with the show, because I mean, the ratings were good from what I understood, I mean, is that actually why they stopped the show?
Speaker 7: Well, you know, corporate is corporate. They wanted a certain amount of it. Did become an expensive show. I mean for for b ET and I guess they wanted more of a return.
Speaker 5: I guess.
Speaker 4: Uh so that was that was that.
Speaker 2: But these same people that you negotiated with coming in, are they the same people.
Speaker 7: That No, No, there's been some regimes since yeah, since we.
Speaker 2: First show like that as well to a regime. Yeah.
Speaker 7: So so yeah, there's some people who made promises and then by the time those promises were it's time to pay the piper, it was like, oh no, bitch.
Speaker 5: No, So this twenty episode season four, come on now?
Speaker 4: So how does that work with your relationship with because you were the BET Honors person as well, like you were, so how does that work? Like you do keep it separate? I can't remember if you stopped after that?
Speaker 7: It all stopped just because I'm not a host, So I'm like, I'm an actor, So you know, why am I taking a job from somebody who wants to be a host or who.
Speaker 5: Needs another job.
Speaker 7: I don't need all the checks, I mean, as per the prenup, I don't, so I just kind of thought it was time for somebody else to have a shot at it. It was a great and a great paying gig. And yeah, like it's let somebody else have a shot. Yeah, I mean, but we would have continued on. Everyone in the cast wanted to come back. Everyone loved the show, We loved the show runner, we loved being in Atlanta. It was not a tough show to do. We would shoot two episodes at a time, so it was tough to shoot. But we like the people, we like the storyline. So yeah, no, I definitely didn't have any problem with the story. You know the storyline that and I had a ton of power, so and I was paid very well. I can't can complain about that, but I do complain with my money.
Speaker 5: Gets funny.
Speaker 7: I don't mess with anybody else's money, and I don't expect anybody else to fuck with mine.
Speaker 2: So that's why I own my own network. We can rebooth me and Mary Jane on the Sugar Network having an Instagram, so on Instagram live.
Speaker 1: Okay, So if you I don't know what the arrangement is, but is it possible that you can just put it on ice for a little Yeah, put it on ice for a little bit and then go well, I mean it's been.
Speaker 7: It's been what almost a year and a half. No, maybe a year since we last aired our last episode, and it's going to be another They're not going to even air the movie until twenty nineteen, and we've been done with the movie since February. It's just it's that's a long time for an audience to wait and try to stick with it. And then everyone else had got jobs, and that was the other thing, Like when you when you, yeah, when you commit to pick up a show, that means you can't the other the cast can't do other things. But they're also not actually getting paid to be on hold and not be able to do other things. So I'm again, I don't mess with anybody's money, and if we're not going to come back in a timely fashion, then I'm not also not going to hold you hostage for a Maybe that's not fair.
Speaker 4: Speaking of that. The sister that plays your younger sister, I was so I was so happy to see her, Yeah on the show on showtime.
Speaker 5: Yeah she's on Smell. Yes, Yeah, she's on Smell. She's killing it.
Speaker 2: She did, she does.
Speaker 7: She's even more involved in this second season. Really proud of her. She's in the campaign my New York and Company campaign for my line. She's she's back as as a as a part of the Altogether Now campaign.
Speaker 5: So well, everyone loves her.
Speaker 4: She's dope in her storyline. I know a lot of people like a lot of a lot of women related to.
Speaker 7: Her storyline, and I think people will be interesting to see how it resolves.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel like she's about to be just an entrepreneur whin.
Speaker 2: I just.
Speaker 5: You'll have to tune in to see in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 4: Well, anything in the movie with any past loves from this seasons before pop up?
Speaker 7: Well no, well you know what here I can tell you because we wanted Omari to come back, but he's filming Power. Yeah, he was filming Power. Yeah, we were trying to get him to come back.
Speaker 2: But I just feel like you spoiled it for me, Like I at least wanted to.
Speaker 4: You wanted to. You wanted to think that he may be coming, that he might be back. But then it's also like and do what And she's had a lot of past loves that were dope, Like I mean maybe Gary Dr Daniel step back on the scene.
Speaker 1: No, he stop talking about what's a nice girl? From moment on Nebraska doing Actually you're I know a few actresses from Oman, Nebraska.
Speaker 5: There are a few.
Speaker 2: You're no, you're in the most successful, You're the one that we can watch in front of our You're the no the plenty there like.
Speaker 5: Such a grazyeah.
Speaker 2: But I just not.
Speaker 5: I just I was like, I know where porn stars are from, and such a gray from.
Speaker 1: Every black foreign actress that I personally know. It comes from Omaha. Who I'm not naming names.
Speaker 4: Right now, all we can google.
Speaker 2: I mean, we had this conversation during the Heather hundred episode.
Speaker 5: So go back and this other hunter is not from am I was, okay, well name the one who.
Speaker 4: Name people.
Speaker 2: The man was like the old school s. Wait, hold on, I have Shirley shut up.
Speaker 4: Just to class this up, this moment of Kathy Hughes is also from Oh well.
Speaker 7: Kathy Hughes is a family friend for my mom. Was just at the big ceremony to honor Kathy. Her and my mom were raised together by my grandmother, her.
Speaker 4: My godmother, best friends.
Speaker 2: What was your what was your household?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 7: Oh, h in Omaha or when we moved to the Bear area.
Speaker 2: Because also a lot of family Omaha as well.
Speaker 4: Oh no, she's from She's from Iowa.
Speaker 2: He's from Iowa.
Speaker 7: Very Midwestern, but we have one of the largest black families in the state of Nebraska and one of the largest in the Midwest. Last year we had our hundredth annual family reunion. We have the dozens of cousins Bryant Fisher Family Reunion.
Speaker 2: The T shirts.
Speaker 4: Every family, every branch.
Speaker 5: Has its own T shirt.
Speaker 7: So there's like a T shirt wars to see who's got the flyest T shirts the best material. But we literally have thousands of people in at our family reunion. We have a we have a week's worth of activities. There's a parade on Saturday. We got our own family drill team.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, oh no, it's a whole yeah no.
Speaker 5: So it was like it's very family oriented.
Speaker 7: You know, growing up is you get into some trouble and people be like you Bunny's baby, did.
Speaker 2: You know that?
Speaker 5: They're like your nose?
Speaker 7: I'm like, you saw me when this Mickey's big now and it was my nostrils that gave it away. Is that what you're trying to tell me? So it's very everyone knows everybody. The north side of Omaha is all blacks, where Malcolm X is from, but everybody knows everybody.
Speaker 5: So it's just very family oriented.
Speaker 7: We're going uh Friday, We're taking the boys to Nebraska, starting in Omaha and then going to Lincoln for the home opener. And just by chance, I'm a massive obviously Cornhusker fan, but Nebraska Cornhuskers offered Zaire, our oldest son.
Speaker 5: His first college scholarship.
Speaker 7: So it's just by chance they offered it to him last week and we're we were going anyway.
Speaker 4: So is it in his top how he feels about it?
Speaker 5: Is his first one?
Speaker 7: I mean, he's going into his junior year, so there may be more. Hopefully there's a whole have a ton of offers, but it's to me it's special that Nebraska was the first school that stepped up to offer him. And so we get to go see the sea of Red on Saturday, and so he gets to see I have a sense of you know what, the sea of red. So Memorial Stadium in Lincoln on football Saturday is the third largest city in the state, so and everyone wears red. So it's you walk in and it's a sea of red. And our fans have been voted I think like every year for the past however many years as the kindest fans. We're the kindest.
Speaker 8: Opposit Santa Claus. No, no, okay, every one's very nice. See it's Nebraska.
Speaker 5: It's just nice.
Speaker 7: I mean I go back now. We go to you know, like lounges and packing packing store. I don't know if you guys have packing stores.
Speaker 2: Got a package pack of stores.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So you go sit in the parking lot of the package store and drink and then you go across to the lounge that is usually across from the pack of store, and you it's like generational partying. So you might be in there with your grandparents all the way down to you know, your youngest cousins, and everybody just hangs together and listens to the Bobby Boot plantat Loo.
Speaker 2: Yes, Cold Records.
Speaker 7: You gotta remember, like all those all those acts from Kansas City, Chicago. We were on that circuit and we had to stop in Omaha to play to play. Well it's closed now, but the theater in Omaha.
Speaker 1: I've only been there once, but there's really great record shops there. So in downtown Midwest is an untapped resource.
Speaker 4: They got good food there. I never nobody talk about the food, and oh my, I just ran I like to eat.
Speaker 7: I was, I mean, well, our family cooks, yeah, but I mean in terms of like restaurant like Famous.
Speaker 4: Philly has a cheese steak and this place has a dad.
Speaker 7: I was like, we've got steaks, yeah, wow, yeah, your godfathers and Valentino's pizza.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't you make the move to La Was it college or to the Bay.
Speaker 7: To My parents got transferred at eight and they're both in telecommunication. So my mom worked at pac Bell, my dad worked at AT and T.
Speaker 5: So my dad got.
Speaker 7: Transferred and my mom's job just transferred her. But my parents would send me back just I'm the middle of three girls. I don't know how they made these decisions, but they sent me back to Omaha for three months, you know, every summer started, summer, picked me up at the end every summer. So out of all of us, I'm the one who has the most connection still to Nebraska helped.
Speaker 2: What's the distance of the younger.
Speaker 7: And there's four years between me and my older sister and then seven years between me and my little sister.
Speaker 5: So she was a mistake.
Speaker 4: She's clearly a mistake.
Speaker 2: Make it.
Speaker 1: I came seven years later after my Yeah, that sounds about right. As long as you know, I've got my mom to ad minute. Yeah, I was like, come on, like this still make no.
Speaker 2: How's the devilcots baby, nobody's supposed to be here. So it was acting your uh, your initial goal in life.
Speaker 7: What did you No, that's it's not I never looked at it as a real profession. It's like something.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 5: It's like in the back of.
Speaker 7: My mind, I always feel like I still need to know how to do Excel and like spreadsheets.
Speaker 4: Wasn't a sports person or no.
Speaker 5: No, no.
Speaker 7: I wanted to be a lawyer like my older sister. I wanted to be, you know, a defense at and fight for the underdog. We have some a number of family members in the criminal justice system without great representation, so I kind of grew up feeling like you had to sort of, i don't know, be a part of fighting the man, you know, and defending defending the defenseless, the voiceless. And but that came from watching Perry Mason. So it wasn't like my sister was a big Perry Mason law an LA law fan, and so she was sort of obsessed with being a lawyer. She's not a lawyer, but neither one of us turned to law, but that was sort of the plan. I was studying for the LSATs when I got an internship at a modeling agency, and then when that ended, they.
Speaker 5: Were like, would you ever want to be one of like our girls.
Speaker 4: I was like, well, how much?
Speaker 5: How much is it you know pay?
Speaker 7: Because I was working at the bookstore. I was a book by back supervisor at u c l A.
Speaker 5: Number Management.
Speaker 2: I liked to sa that money from them buy back books.
Speaker 4: It's worth forty dollars.
Speaker 2: The original game sixty about to give you four months and then sales ship for four years. Yeah, that was the same.
Speaker 5: I was the person where people were like, let me talk to your manager.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when did you graduate U c l.
Speaker 5: A ninety six in nineteen ninety six? And what is crazy?
Speaker 1: So wait was were you there at that the Well, our friend Tina Farris, one of my managers, y'all were there at the same.
Speaker 5: Time at the same time.
Speaker 4: She was cooler than I.
Speaker 5: I was the book buy back supervisor and she was cooler.
Speaker 2: She was not a UCL Okay, no, okay, no, I was you know, even.
Speaker 7: Like supervising putting us stamps on like books, you know, living in North Hollywood didn't even live in Westwood.
Speaker 2: DJ quick.
Speaker 7: No, I uh know when I lived with like my ex boyfriend in North Hollywood and no.
Speaker 4: Is that was where were you listening to at that time? Gain, I'm just curious.
Speaker 7: I was listening to quick No and a lot of I mean, mhmm at that time. It was because I went from n tow ba to easy E a lot of too short wrapping. Yeah, what else Monica? I love Monica, love Brandy. I'm just wanting to think of at that time, what else was.
Speaker 2: The status quo of R and B.
Speaker 1: You know that sort of thing, one like bottom hip hop actually named Monica pretty much, you know the status quo. So how did you officially jump in the pool of acting?
Speaker 7: So when my internship ended and they asked if I wanted to be presented by them, and they said I could make one hundred and fifty dollars a day minus twenty percent, I was like shit, I was making six dollars and sixteen cents an hour after three raises at the bookstore.
Speaker 5: So I was like, well, I'm not going to give up my study gig.
Speaker 7: But if you think I could get work as a model, I guess and then the first day they sent me out on a goo see. I booked the first thing for teen magazine. It was all the top fashion magazines at the time, teen all about.
Speaker 5: You, Sassy. I don't know if you guys are familiar with that.
Speaker 2: I've seen remember, So I would.
Speaker 7: Be their editorial model. So it would be like going through a rough breakup, twelve steps to get you.
Speaker 4: Back on track.
Speaker 5: And I'm like, with the word that was my modeling those.
Speaker 2: Like on TV there, I was like make love to the camera, Like no, it was.
Speaker 7: Literally like your boyfriend just broke up with you, or you know how to talk to your gun and collegist.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, it was model full of people because when I photos, I hate, like my publicist watches their.
Speaker 2: Arms are folded. Everyone has these looks on them and it's hard to be.
Speaker 1: Not.
Speaker 5: At that time, it was like the cheesiest ship.
Speaker 7: Like my biggest gig was the it was the memorial dape insert for Montgomery Wards.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: And it was a big fucking deal.
Speaker 7: Because we shot it out and on them on a Santa Monica pere and I had to ride a skateboard and and I had to like have these glasses like you know, dangling from my teeth and you know.
Speaker 5: It was a whole thing. But I was like, I made a bitch.
Speaker 2: Why do I go to U C l A.
Speaker 7: Like I used to go out on on go sees for music videos. I never got chosen, Like oh there's always what didn't I audition for California Love video with like five hundred of my closest friends and you had to come. They always would always say come body conscious, which basically means come like with your nipples out and be prepared to move. I'm sorry, be prepared to move. Come body conscious and be prepared to move. So I come with my book at my modeling book with like your boyfriend broke up with the picture and then like my big you know, piece of me like on the skateboard, you know, and I'm like here, Tupac, tell me what you think. Luckily, he was actually really really sweet and he took the time to look through my bullshit ass book and.
Speaker 2: Then he actually chose again not me.
Speaker 7: He was kind enough during the audition process to like look through my book like that. You hand them your book and then they thumb through it or whatever and then they put on you.
Speaker 2: I don't know who.
Speaker 7: I don't know Whoupa, but he was in the He was dead center, along with like his fifty cousins. And then and everyone's just watching you dance, and I look like a cricket having a seizure. I was probably like fifteen pounds lighter, like just all elbow was the knobby me.
Speaker 5: And so I'm doing my sexy dance which just was not sucking California video. It was so bad.
Speaker 4: And I drove home in my Miata like, oh my goodness, was killing it. Yeah, Me and Terry and Terry.
Speaker 5: Vaughn had y.
Speaker 2: That was the drug girlfriend.
Speaker 4: Because she had a moment for Terry Vaughn. Another one who's black. Don't crack.
Speaker 5: She's she's gorgeous.
Speaker 7: We've been friends for so long. She's also from the band. She's from Hunter's Point.
Speaker 4: You can hear it. You can hear her. Accid called the show.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 5: So no, so okay.
Speaker 7: So I didn't get the California Love video. Didn't get Oh, I was pinned. So this means I was very close to a three for a three T video.
Speaker 5: You obviously not.
Speaker 2: I was pinned.
Speaker 5: I started spending that chuck at Contemple.
Speaker 1: Casual doesn't remember. Three three They were Tito Jackson's three sons.
Speaker 4: Yes, they had a life time reality show about a year or two ago.
Speaker 2: They did know. They had that one jam Anything for You? Also, Michael, they did why that was?
Speaker 1: It was?
Speaker 4: That was the song they had that.
Speaker 2: It was like one you a Michael Jackson video.
Speaker 5: Oh no, well, well ishh.
Speaker 2: I was pinned that one of them. They Kim Kim at the time she was.
Speaker 4: They went to prom Kim Kim car card dash.
Speaker 2: Okay, he loved your hesitation. I didn't know. I know, Okay, I love that.
Speaker 4: The first one you think of when you hear Kim.
Speaker 2: Thinking Kim Fields. I'm like, nig wasn't.
Speaker 4: Women That's right, the fucking Field.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was. Yeh, the kid. That's the kid I acknowledged first. She's still the primary studio. Yeah, tot. But no.
Speaker 7: So when I was desperately wanting to be a video vixen, I would no one would choose me. I was no one's idea of a video vixen. But then when I started booking more jobs, and then then people start coming out.
Speaker 5: Of the world work.
Speaker 7: So the first major job I did was from Mark Nelson fifteen minutes.
Speaker 2: Yo was in fifteen minutes.
Speaker 7: Oh god, the orgasm girl, what, I had an orgasm button on my back.
Speaker 5: I was like a robot, like a sex robot kind of thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The treatment was wild video. It was I had feen minutes and going to get up in it, just come and break.
Speaker 2: He had pretty much.
Speaker 5: Billy Wood Driff directed it.
Speaker 4: Yes, they did all start the relationship.
Speaker 2: Didn't like that in your next How do you know that? Because I knew I had listen, man, this was beating beat. Look bro this.
Speaker 1: I did not have the Chocolate Mood album because funck that, but listen. That was the butter Loove era of all. Yes, that was when all those things had that same heat, like it was Butterlove. And then fifteen minutes and I Belong.
Speaker 2: To You by Wrong. It was like, all, oh my god, it was all those records scene. This is earth, right, this happened on Earth. What year was this ninety eight? Like because minutes it was like ninety you know what.
Speaker 7: It was the same day we shot the video, the same day the JFK Junior died whatever the plane the plane yeah, whatever day that was was the day we shot that fifteen minutes video.
Speaker 5: Isn't that crazy?
Speaker 6: Man?
Speaker 5: But no, don't stop there, don't stop there, let's go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was an R and B princess.
Speaker 5: Y'all didn't know. I did the Uncle Sam video.
Speaker 4: Wait wait did I go?
Speaker 2: That was see You Again? Is that the one?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 7: So I start off as a kid and I'm a dancer and then like it's like we fall in love as kids and then like and then like I come back as an adult person and we're in life.
Speaker 2: You drank some milk and then you forget the treatment.
Speaker 5: But that was directed by Darren Darren Grant.
Speaker 7: Darren Grant who also directed me in a dark and lovely commercial starring Usher.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 7: Before Usher and I did She's All That Together. It's a It's a very small world.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I did a Montel Jordan video where I was a bride. I did I Love My Chick. I did Paradise Paradise neo video and Independent well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then it just wasn't Independent. Yeah.
Speaker 7: I was like yeah independent, yeah, wow, No, one's just in a while though, since I got a little long in.
Speaker 4: The tooth, I mean, would you still do it? If somebody I mean I'm sure people would. They knew you were open.
Speaker 5: I mean for the right artist.
Speaker 2: I yeah, but who is that?
Speaker 5: Who is the right and who would you come back for?
Speaker 2: Who would you come back the video? Do a video for that?
Speaker 5: Wouldn't care one way or another. I would.
Speaker 7: I would listen. Bruno Mars is a sexy little thing.
Speaker 2: It is a sexy little thing.
Speaker 7: Him and those band, the band we had a we had a legendary dance off at it was a an Atlantic Records party at the Chateau and it was like me Serena Williams, A J.
Speaker 5: Johnson from hov.
Speaker 7: And we we battled Bruno and his band members.
Speaker 2: Wow, I believe one. It's like literally recreated the dance battle and that's fucking dope.
Speaker 5: And that was my time in R and B.
Speaker 6: We thank you for your sam salts. I'm not saying all tonight, it's all tonight. Yeah, your fifteen minutes wouldn't have been saying without your contributions.
Speaker 2: Gabby, thank you.
Speaker 7: I would I would still like I like whenever I go see new Edition and they'll be like, yeah, will you come on stage?
Speaker 5: I'm like, no, yes, off, Ralph and Johnny are coming back and all the day are you hovering.
Speaker 2: After? Well?
Speaker 1: I mean by that time, you were also doing television, TV and movies stuff as well.
Speaker 2: Like what were you doing?
Speaker 7: I started off with Saved by the Bell, the New Class. I actually did that twice. They were like, no one's gonna remember, like the first time I was Mistletoe Girl number two to the first time I went on the show was total new new cast, the newcast, but mister Belding and Screech were still on.
Speaker 2: What was the what was the the Hollywood shuffle like in ninety nine two thousand?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 5: Like you Well, for us, like we used to see the same five six girls in.
Speaker 7: Every for every role, it'd be me, Melinda Williams, Bianca laws in Sona, Zoe Saldana, Carrie came a little bit later after say the Last Dance. But yeah, we would just be in the same rooms, you know, all Reagan Gomez. We would just see the same people and then people would get picked off get a show, and then the group would ebb and flow depending on who was working.
Speaker 5: But we've all kind of just stayed working, you know.
Speaker 2: So is it a matter of hang I mean, was it were you click?
Speaker 7: Is you're like, oh, how you don't or was it well, like we have you know, like we have our crew that we hang out with, so like me, Sonah, Regina King, King joins us on occasion, haul, you know, Essen Sadkins, Robin Lee, So we have our own sort of crew. But everyone's cool. I mean at this stage it's like whatever. Back in the day, it could be a little caddy at times, just because you have this idea there's only so much work.
Speaker 4: It's only one black girl in that white girl, white comedy, romantic comedy. Except we came up.
Speaker 7: In that time of WB and upn what there was a lot of opportunity, so that wasn't really our shit, Like everyone had an opportunity to kind of shine, and every pilot season there were more.
Speaker 5: So it was just a fucked up attitude to have just on some general you a.
Speaker 4: Brave shit on that because you've spoken about that for a while.
Speaker 5: I mean I talk about it.
Speaker 7: I try to talk about it as often as I can because we kind of like to think of it. I think of it as young girl shit when it's oh, motherfucker shit too, like men and women, this idea that there's only so much. I've got a horde at all. I've got to try to dim your life with the idea that somehow the sun is going to.
Speaker 2: Shine than abundance. Yeah, like you got a hold onto something.
Speaker 7: When there's enough, favorite, there's enough for everybody. Everybody's bills are paid.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: I think the first time I saw you speak on that was that the special, the Oprah Special with the general the women from different generations of Black Hollywood were like Alfreed and all them, and there was like a whole crying moment for everybody that was watching because you It was like an honest moment because most of us can admit, yeah, I was a bitch, but you know what I learned from that, and I ain't doing that shit no.
Speaker 7: Mo Yeah, no, I mean And because it started with the Essence uh, the Essence Awards where I got the Fell the Fierce and Fearless Award, and I was like, I don't want to get up there and just say a bunch of randomized cliches shit in this room of women that I've known for twenty years. I want to be honest. At this point, what the fuck do I have to lose. I've reached the bottom. I've gone from it girl to shit girl so many times it's like whatever I want to try to say something actually fierce and fearless. And I just got up there and I told the truth. You were very specific like in this, you know, and it's like, if you're not going to tell the truth, what the fuck is a point? And if I haven't survived some shit and come out the other side, and I can't say, Okay, for everyone who's been through this, this is how you get to the other side. This is how I healed, this is how I change, this is how I evolved, This is how you can too.
Speaker 5: It's just we don't generally do that.
Speaker 2: And what was that? What was what were you referring just for people? So well?
Speaker 5: I mean I touched upon a number of things and that's piece.
Speaker 7: But the thing that sort of caught a lot of people's attention was I was like, you know, I basically wished ill on a lot of people, thinking that it was somehow going to make my light shine brighter.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 7: It's it's really very crabs in a barrel type of mentality some girls. Some people call it mean girl mentality, except mean girls become mean women. You know, mean boys become mean menu And it affects every Yeah, it affects every you know, industry and every relationship, every city, every town, it's that same ship. There's only so much, so I got to try to tear you down in the hopes of building myself up.
Speaker 5: And that's just bullshit.
Speaker 4: Well it was.
Speaker 7: It was a year I got divorced, my show got canceled, and some weird random ship racist should happened at this like within this same like two week span, and I was literally under my bed. I had crawled under my bed and my dog, Babba God rest is soul. Bubba like looked under the bed like, bitches, this is what we're doing. And you know, sometimes you just got to see yourself reflected. And I mean, at this point it was some things else my dog's eyes and I was like, damn it, I forget. I'm this is this might be my breaking boy, this might be rock bottom that the dog is like fuck.
Speaker 4: And so I called A J.
Speaker 7: Johnson and she was my life coach and trainer and she got me all the way together. And the first session she said, let's put together your happy list. And I was like, and I'm you know, I'm going through this divorce. It's public, it's you know, you feel like a failure, like everything that comes with public failure. And I'm and she we're boxing, so I'm trying to hit the heavyweight bag and she's like, tell me, tell me three things that you that that are on your happy list, and I'm like, I couldn't think of My mind goes blank. I couldn't think of anything that actually made me happy.
Speaker 4: So finally I was like, real butter.
Speaker 5: I said, real butter, ground beef and imitation crab.
Speaker 4: And that's what she said.
Speaker 7: And she said, bitch, the real thing isn't even what makes you happy. Come on, and she said, no, wonder you're getting divorced. You don't know what makes you happy. How the fuck do you think someone else is going to know how to make you happy? And I was like, you know, as Oprah says, she has like aha moments, I have moments, and that's what got me started on the path to like different, Like I know I don't want that, so it can only go up at the fucking bottom. Like I don't have ship, I have no pride, I have no ego. I just I just don't want this. I don't want to feel like this. I don't I don't want to move like this.
Speaker 2: So I haven't. I'm cool with butter. Though it's laundering, it's still.
Speaker 5: On my happiness. I like imitation crab.
Speaker 4: It's affordable.
Speaker 2: I'm down with imitation crab.
Speaker 4: Cali suffering ship because now you're d m v oh, well.
Speaker 7: You guys have access to like the world's best crab.
Speaker 4: So I understand. But I understand you know, don't you live in I do. That's why I'm suffering over this bitch in this claw meat, this imitation crab.
Speaker 2: Well, y'all got crustaceans out of here, not the oysters.
Speaker 4: Oh, I mean they say it does it? But I can't get to the pass in terms of like yeah yet, sorry, okay, let me do uh the slurping of that.
Speaker 2: So what reminds you of anyway? What the where is this going?
Speaker 7: I mean we're having a whole conversation, and I'm like, I wanted to know what the what the hurdle was?
Speaker 4: You know, I can just the slurb it's just the block. Okay, So you want to tell honest, yeah, I don't.
Speaker 2: I'm not really sure with that.
Speaker 4: On my I have a bad gag. Reflects and anything that's of that texture and that consistency, that hits my throat. It makes me a little you know what I'm saying. So I'm more of a before it gets there.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying, Go, you must have a sound.
Speaker 1: You know what.
Speaker 2: I totally forgot about other themes. Thank you just reminds me.
Speaker 4: She's also sweating now because the kind of talk makes her.
Speaker 2: You're a spitter, I was being poetic. Should try?
Speaker 6: Okay, So, Gabby, I know you're probably gonna instantly regret this, but no, no, no, So talk about like just when you're going through your your divorce from your was that your first marriage?
Speaker 2: Yes? Okay, what what did you learn and going through your divorce? Hm hmm, Like what do you think? Well, first off, what do you think led to the divorce?
Speaker 5: Self esteem?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Like even looking at him as a reasonable option was some o bullshit. Like if I was in a better place, I would have said, oh, you were fun to hang out with and drink with in Jacksonville, you know, one week and that was fun and that's where it should stay. But because he showed interest and I had, you know, my self worth was quite low, and I defined being worthwhile and being validated by being chosen.
Speaker 5: I was like this is totally reasonable.
Speaker 4: This, this will work.
Speaker 7: And so you know, a few months after I met him and he proposed it felt reasonable, like we'd never spent more than a weekend together, and it he asked, and this idea. You know, when you're in your twenties, you have this idea of by the time I'm twenty six, I'm going to be married and I'm gonna have a kid, and I'm going to do this, this and this.
Speaker 5: You have all these ideas and shit.
Speaker 7: And so I was at that age where all my friends from home were getting married and I felt like he asked, and you know this, who else is going to love me? Which your mom will said, you know what, I'm My parents are one of those people that are like, I raised you with common sense.
Speaker 5: If you choose not to use it, that is on you. Don't ask us for shit.
Speaker 2: Wow, So they didn't give you a read on him either way, Like they didn't.
Speaker 7: My dad is like, if he drinks dark liquor, he's okay by me. Oh no, yeah, were you the first time? I was twenty eight, second time forty one?
Speaker 4: Yes, give me praise okay, hope, I'm sorry when I get it. When I get it wherever it comes.
Speaker 2: I take it.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, shut up, you don't know my pain. I really do, trust me. You on this couch every week listening audience knows your pain. Yes, we really know it.
Speaker 4: Back again, now you're in l A. You know I got something good. We're gonna see what happened O.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah you booed up now thanks to lement hey bud so l Yeah the escorts service. Yeah. I was like some time that song that was big.
Speaker 5: I don't know that was like after Night only because it was an option on my I G story if I wanted to, and I was like, oh, what's boot up? Oh I've heard that on the radio.
Speaker 2: I'm spunning DJ. I just didn't care who's sang it down?
Speaker 6: Did you when you were going through after after your divorce whatever? Like, how long did it take for you to try to re enter another relationship?
Speaker 7: Okay, so full disclosure, And because I talk about it in my book, perhaps started before.
Speaker 2: A relationship ended officially.
Speaker 5: You like to have a solid plan before I existed.
Speaker 2: I respected no one goes shopping for shoes with bare feet.
Speaker 4: I like that, and I will use that. I will not credit you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would be so mad he missed you, saying that that would be one for your book, for my coffee.
Speaker 4: I was about to do a whole divorce exchange because he's married again.
Speaker 5: Are you number two?
Speaker 2: Number two? Number two? I'm thirty nine.
Speaker 5: That first one was you.
Speaker 2: I No, I didn't.
Speaker 5: You didn't.
Speaker 2: I didn't. So my shit was like I was twenty, you were twenty.
Speaker 6: I was twenty six and so and the thing it really resonated with me when you said, you know, you're looking at your people back home whatever. And it wasn't until I got much older that I realized, like how fucked up that is to do, because like, so, I mean where I grew up at. You know, I grew up in a relatively small town. You know, it's and I'm in the South, and in the South, like we get started early. Like I got a homeboy right now, like we both same age, and his kid is like about to go to college, like or it's actually like in college these niggas like in his twenties and shit, and I'm thirty nine, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So back when we were coming up, you were a success story.
Speaker 6: If you made it out of high school without getting pregnant, like I was in high school with girls that you know, seven periods, so.
Speaker 2: It's like, okay, well I gotta go pick up my baby from the babysitter. Like it was real like that.
Speaker 6: So when you look at it from then, it's like, oh damn, twenty six or twenty seven or twenty eight feels a lot older. And what it really is when you're judging it against niggas that had babies at sixteen, you know what I'm saying. But it's not until you grow older and you go out and you actually see ways of life. And like I remember time I came out to the West Coast and I would meet chicks and they be like, yeah, so I was like, I'm twenty three.
Speaker 2: How do you I'm thirty and you know, just so I'm gonna have kids one day, I was like, one day, like, bitch, my time, my kid's gonna be out of the house. What your winners? One day? One day is today, some day is tonight. I love the same voice of yours, but it's like, but you know, but you didn't. But I really didn't.
Speaker 6: So when you say like, yeah, I really didn't know, I just thought, like by twenty six, again, comparing it to what we was seeing at the crib.
Speaker 2: By twenty six, it's like, yeah, you get married, you have a kid. Fuck it.
Speaker 6: You know what I'm saying, Because I had my first son was twenty. I was twenty one, twenty, I was in I was still in college and you know, so yeah, I know what. I really didn't know. I didn't know until it was afterwards and I was like, oh damn, I shouldn't have did that.
Speaker 5: You know what I knew.
Speaker 7: So he had just proposed I had a very big audition for Dawson's Creek up in North Carolina.
Speaker 4: Mington.
Speaker 2: That's like two hours from my house.
Speaker 7: So I flew from Jacksonville. He was playing for the Jaguars, So I flew from Jacksonville to Wilmington.
Speaker 5: Killed it didn't get it.
Speaker 4: Kind of like being pinned for.
Speaker 2: Listeners, being pinned.
Speaker 5: In my video days.
Speaker 7: They would put you know, they would check your avails and they would pin you. Does not mean you got an offer. That just means they're very interested in you. I thought it was that meant offer. It just means we're very interested. It was like, it's a solid chance you'll get.
Speaker 4: This job or not.
Speaker 2: Decided to take it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, if this was a spades hands.
Speaker 5: I'd be in queen. It's nice. Yeah, we have a spades tournament.
Speaker 2: Have you lost a friendship or two over?
Speaker 7: My dad did not talk to me. So my dad was my partner before my husband. And my dad likes to drink, like our family. I come from a family of drinkers, so we drink during most you know, social settings.
Speaker 5: And my dad had it kind of got away from a little bit.
Speaker 7: The crown got a lott away from him and he was he was talking and he wasn't paying attention right and he cut me. And I said because I too had been drinking a little and I said, nigga, did you cut me? And he pushed the ta like his chair out from the table.
Speaker 5: He's like.
Speaker 2: How old?
Speaker 4: This was like a.
Speaker 5: Definitely grown.
Speaker 7: And he took me outside and he said, I don't know who the fuck you think you are? Like he he it was such a like an old nigga cuss.
Speaker 4: Out like you wish he wouldn't hit you, because.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was like.
Speaker 7: Yeah, no, but it's it's nice. So cut to Thanksgiving. It was the first time me and d were playing. We were partners. We were playing against my my dad and one of my one of my friends and my little sister. Fucking single Ladies comes on and my little sister had had some.
Speaker 5: Lemon cello desperately. Do not recommend lemon cello.
Speaker 7: At the holidays, thank you. I always use a reference. No one ever knows what I'm talking about. O.
Speaker 2: Yeah, talking about Danny.
Speaker 7: DeVito went on the View after drinking a lot of lemon cello.
Speaker 5: But George Clooney wasn't it the night before?
Speaker 7: And he was still drunk the next day on the View and it was it's genius, It's you can YouTube solid here. So my little sister is hammered off at Limonicello and she starts doing the single Ladies dance, but you know the part where you go kind of down. She had on a very low cut top, and my sister is very very very well endowed, and it was just titty's everywhere, and everyone, like all the guys kind of started crowding around, and my dad was like, he kind of was looking and then he hands my husband his cards.
Speaker 2: And he was like, I'll be back.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 5: And that was a wrap on fucking Thanksgiving.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 5: He took her outside. All I heard was my little you don't know me, Dad, I was like, obviously, obviously not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would think that you are.
Speaker 1: I mean we often talked about, you know, game night eventually, but then I realized that I feel like you're very out for yes game night person, and that our friendship might be on the line.
Speaker 2: Would yeah, we do. I fired people from game Night.
Speaker 1: I've fired employees, I've broken up with women I was interested in.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 7: The game, Okay, it was just the timing hasn't worked out. I told you about like, yes, we had Taboo League for years.
Speaker 2: League.
Speaker 7: We had league play and was guys against girls and it was dou Lat Hill, Hill, Harper, Sean Patrick, Thomas.
Speaker 5: Uh, they were just paper.
Speaker 2: So did a lot of people.
Speaker 1: I know that you are, and I just don't think they were the same. I love how you're connected. I feel like you're the epicenter.
Speaker 7: Of Literally, I'm a bridge for a lot of your Like, yeah, you are a lot of random.
Speaker 2: You are a nexus of Nikotrie.
Speaker 3: I'm changing name.
Speaker 2: My new I G. The next.
Speaker 7: We had guys against girls and we the guys have recruited Hill because he's a double ivy and blah blah blah blah, blah. So we recruited Robin Lee because she too is it.
Speaker 5: Those were the double ivy.
Speaker 7: So we recruited Robin Lee because she was a double ivy and we needed people who could average eight or nine in a taboo on a taboo round.
Speaker 5: That's how fucking serious were I think, let's not sink in. Most people get four. We don't. We don't play.
Speaker 7: So what we started doing is having taboo time. So it started with long drunken lunches that would turn into dinners. But it was just so we could spend time together so we would have better like more references so for the game.
Speaker 4: And that's how friends with Robin.
Speaker 5: We didn't even know her.
Speaker 7: We just recruited her because we thought she was smart and during these long drunken lunches to get to know each other better. So like a perfect example, Robin would be giving me the clue and she'd be like blank and the buddy.
Speaker 4: Man, I go echo.
Speaker 5: So that's how good we got and we took on the ground.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, I thank you, Bill. That was a slow clap.
Speaker 1: I saw the look your face. I'm glad you said that. She got mad at me. If Man's Quest blamed it to her. But okay, but you didn't you didn't finishrselves?
Speaker 2: When did you know? Like that? Your first one was.
Speaker 5: Oh, I'm sorry, I'm sorry.
Speaker 7: So, yes, the audition in Wilmington. So I had auditioned. I was coming back and I had this little ring, which it turns out I had to pay for it later. Oh god, yeah, he was big payments on.
Speaker 5: What shout out to Reed's jewelry.
Speaker 2: J Yeah, I had to.
Speaker 5: Pay that off from the doors.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So I came back and I was using his home computer and do you remember I am, yes, his boy, I am is him. He said, nigga, you still got that that uh that Greek girl coming in this weekend.
Speaker 5: And this is like Thursday, and I was scheduled to believe the next day.
Speaker 7: And I was like, I don't think I could ever be mistaken for a week, you know. So I'm like, what what ANA say back?
Speaker 2: That was not coming back?
Speaker 4: You know, what's her name again? You know that's where I gave my.
Speaker 5: I gave myself up. So he alerted him.
Speaker 7: So by the time he got home from practice, I had packed on my ship. It was all gonna be very dramatic, and I should have known when he literally had proposed, you know, in a in a bucket of chicken, like he had put my.
Speaker 2: Ring in.
Speaker 4: Kentucky, the Colonel.
Speaker 7: Kentucky and it was some potato wedges, and he he had the nerve to like, you know, have like the apartment lined in rose petals and then to the bedroom and he was on on bended knee with a with a with a box of KFC chicken wedges and chicken and he had a wedge in his hand and he was like, was.
Speaker 4: It was?
Speaker 5: It was significant at the time. Now I don't remember.
Speaker 2: I'm sure something that.
Speaker 3: Is up.
Speaker 2: Years ago. Yeah, was this the Colonel? This wasn't like that old guy, right, He was a little darker.
Speaker 4: He was a lot darker.
Speaker 7: He used to cut the bottoms off his jeans. These were subtle that I should have, you know, like adhere to. Yeah, because he didn't want to and he would just cut him off and then like he'd wash them so they would be afrayed like Jim from Huck Finn.
Speaker 2: Yeah that was before well it's cool now, yeah, because yeah, this was.
Speaker 3: Nine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was.
Speaker 7: And he had like bad tattoos, like bad dumb tattoos, like he had this one with like a bulldog that said slow yeo row.
Speaker 5: Guess how guess how role was spelled?
Speaker 2: Now the word is supposed to be roll like, but he I take it it didn't spell like our old w.
Speaker 1: H Okay, did you try to gently let him know that it might be misspelled or.
Speaker 2: Like I meant to do that?
Speaker 5: Well, I will listen.
Speaker 7: That was like that was just more of like how I can explain these dumb ass tattoos. He had another tattoo of black Jesus that looked exactly like Eric Beney, so.
Speaker 2: That you got the bad tattoos with slave capris on.
Speaker 4: So how many of these do you had before he started calling?
Speaker 5: How many of which of.
Speaker 4: The How long can you talk about him like this before he started calling?
Speaker 7: Because he owes me a lot of money, so he's in the book. Everyone's like, you didn't change his name. I'm like, no, motherfuck owes me money. So I'm hoping it gets back to him. NAIs where he ashamed and his new girl is like, enough, give this bitch her money.
Speaker 2: Something that says iris, biscuits, gravy.
Speaker 4: Wow, wow, can I have an acting question? We're just all over there, so we're talking about all these auditions that you had did you didn't get picked for. However, there is like a role that was a big deal I remember at the time that you got and that was on Friends. Oh yes, can you talk about that a little bit in the process of struggling.
Speaker 7: So what was crazy is I had just been on I was was regular on a show called City of Angels, right, so on CBS. I was playing a surgeon and Blair Underwood was on the show and Hill Harper and it was this amazing experience and we got canceled. Let's say we got canceled on a Tuesday, and I got the Friends job on a Friday. But the people associated with Friends, not the actual cast, but the production just thought, I don't know if she was around as much. But yeah, like the day to day people at that it was like season one hundred and ten at this point, but they thought I was just like some chick off the street, like I had no experience.
Speaker 5: So they would be like, Gabrielle, do you know where your mark is?
Speaker 4: They didn't even read jo No, it was weird.
Speaker 2: So I was like, yep, yep, wow.
Speaker 7: But it was this idea that like, I don't know and I'd been in like I'd had how many number one hit movies at that point, Like it wasn't like I didn't I just came out of nowhere.
Speaker 5: But for that world, it was it didn't count.
Speaker 4: Did the actors know who you are? Did Joey and freaking.
Speaker 5: In the on the show?
Speaker 7: But I mean by that time it was such a well oiled machine. They had gotten it down to like a three or four day work week, so you got in and got out. So no, I wasn't really interacting with them in that kind of way.
Speaker 4: But were you the first black woman was used to I can know.
Speaker 7: So I usually came after me. I was like the experiment to make sure like the world and brought like the same role like where they were fighting over. But I had made a joke on the View Everything happens at the View. I made a joke at the View that I didn't realize I had. I was the Rosa Parks of Mussy TV, you know, kind of joking like how is it that you're in like season nine in New York where there's like no black people, Asians, anybody. And I got a call from NBC and apparently someone had gone through every frame of every episode and counted the black people with lines and it.
Speaker 5: So they were like, I'm dead fucking and they were like, what.
Speaker 7: You can say is that you are the first African American love interest on Friends.
Speaker 4: Bullshit. I still like I watched every episode.
Speaker 7: Sherry Shepherd. Cherry Shepherd worked at the museums that were she worked.
Speaker 4: All right, that was one episode.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry.
Speaker 6: All right, yeah, man, okay, I have like a lot of Bring it On questions. Well, I mean, so, what was what was it like for you, like auditioning for that? And like how did they see that?
Speaker 7: I didn't have to audition, so I'd done enough teen movies and maybe they saw the Uncle Sam video. I'm not sure, Child to a Beautiful Swan. No, so I they'd asked me to be a part of the table read for that, and at the time the movie was called cheer Fever and all the changed that, but most of us who did the table read ended up doing the movie, and so by the time we started filming it was called Bring It On. And the toros came down like I want to say, six seven, eight weeks early to learn all the routines and everything they gave me in Black nine days to learn. Really it was like y'all got this, yeah, but it was it sucked because like with for Black, they had been on tour non stop, and they went right from a tour where they were touring with en Sync to filming and they were just over it all, you know what I mean, And they were exhausted, and so I had to put my big sister draws on and I was like, let's get some fake id's girls. Let's go to Tijuana.
Speaker 2: Damn you.
Speaker 4: Now I couldn't get them fake id's. It was.
Speaker 5: It was kind of hard in San Diego, but getting across the border not so tough. Not so tough at that time.
Speaker 7: But we had a fucking blast, Like it was the movie we all did because we didn't get the cheerleading movie of our dreams. So like the cheerleading movie that everyone thought was going to be the big hit with Sugar and Spice, the cheerleading cheerleading bank robbing movie.
Speaker 4: I remember moving is that four girls.
Speaker 5: There were like twelve girls.
Speaker 7: It was a gang, and none of them they were like, out of all of these roles, I'm like, not one can be black.
Speaker 5: And they're like, ah, they're so.
Speaker 4: No oh Mina sorvino yea.
Speaker 7: So we were all kind of and then Kirsten wanted save the Last Dance and she didn't get that. So it was kind of like the Constellation Prize, you know, summer in San Diego filming, you know, this cheerleading movie, and we just had a fucking blast.
Speaker 2: I love.
Speaker 4: Said Kirsten wanted to say the last dance.
Speaker 5: Yes, Kirsten was up for save last Dance.
Speaker 4: Julia got it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but Julie, who I was friends with from ten Things I Hate about You. Yes, it was such a small little teen world, but but yeah, we just had it was like a bunch of fucking helliens and we had a great time. Elijah Douche crew, great time, great girl.
Speaker 5: We had a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: And that was actually you doing all the.
Speaker 7: Because there was no money for a stunt double. But what you notice is there's a lot of tight shots.
Speaker 5: I don't match anybody. They're all doing the position. Ship in my ass is like wait, what.
Speaker 7: Like if we were in the Five Heartbeats, you'd be quaboy or yeah, it would.
Speaker 5: Have just been I definitely wasn't dressing.
Speaker 4: Now that's combination. I'm not the group yes, I was like the fourth member.
Speaker 2: Of Okay, okay, okay, wait is it time for me?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: I'm sorry. We used to have c tip dance breaks and we haven't done it and we only did it once was on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was the song we did it to, Don't Walk Away.
Speaker 2: He killed it. Met from Jade in Chicago, like last year?
Speaker 5: Is that the Braces?
Speaker 2: She was the light skinned one braces? She was super cool. She was she was super cool.
Speaker 5: What I need to know?
Speaker 9: What?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 5: What I need updates?
Speaker 2: She's I think she's living in Chicago, I think.
Speaker 6: And she's just like writing and I think she's I mean, she was cool, like I don't think she's still music, Yeah, still in music.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's she's chilling.
Speaker 7: I love when I see like you know from you know and somewhere yeah, or just different, just they've segued into something. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I love that. We interviewed Patric Russian earlier. I felt that, yes, everything forget me, but who's saying you make my love for them? She settled for your love, settle forgive me, not forgive me, and I want you to remember. But she's also with the music record for Mad Show.
Speaker 2: Be doing too many references.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna give you a little time cut close.
Speaker 1: Yea, we were singing at this morning. He was saying, well, first we'll first cut. We were saying nobody, nobody, because that's the thing like me. And then I brought up.
Speaker 2: Can I tell you all right? We're just going all over the place.
Speaker 1: What honored was DJ and your wedding and the fact that you reunited guide.
Speaker 2: That was watch yo her wedding, Oh my God like coming to America lit like yes, she love God.
Speaker 4: Love though because that's not inappropriate right?
Speaker 2: What was okay? What was the wedding for us boundaries?
Speaker 4: That's like you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: What was the jam?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: What was your winnings on?
Speaker 4: What was okay?
Speaker 7: Well we came we came down to John Legend. We had actually John no because that was the summer of all of Me, So we switched it up. So what we had was this old black man playing the piano and he was started the beginning chorus of all of Me and we have John come out and tap him on the tap him on the back.
Speaker 2: I think I got this and then he who organized because it was like a movie.
Speaker 4: You of course, the executive producer.
Speaker 7: He does one on his shoulder and then and then he'sted singing the with the other one.
Speaker 5: No, no, the other freaking song. Christy's in the video, Why am I drawing a blank?
Speaker 2: She is all of me? It's not all of me? Uh, it's a piano ballot.
Speaker 5: Yes, And and he was like it again. It was like it was the hit after all of me.
Speaker 9: I was, I'm looking now, okay, So if it was drawing a blank, wait, this is editing is great.
Speaker 2: So all of me, love me now, love me?
Speaker 4: Now, you and I you and I.
Speaker 2: Isn't that? How does that she's in the video?
Speaker 5: Is that how it kind of starts?
Speaker 4: I don't know, you want to.
Speaker 2: I don't. I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know the beginning.
Speaker 1: I just know because it's one on the list after him, after that one on on his Wikipedia page.
Speaker 5: So yeah, that's it's one of those.
Speaker 7: So he comes in and plays and then yeah, so then we did everything in sections. So we had that part of the beginning part of the wedding. You know, we came out and there was like the Coming to America dancers that came over this hill and you know, and then he comes out and I come down.
Speaker 5: And then and then the reception.
Speaker 7: We come into the wedding reception to Calid and uh uh Luda, all I do is when when when we but Luda did his verse as we were like walking in, it was there. And then uh so as we were leaving the reception, we had a big choir, a big black choir that started singing God, and they led us from the reception into the jute joint.
Speaker 5: So we did basically the nobody know that the upper.
Speaker 2: Room you watched them movies, justus, motherfucker.
Speaker 7: So we walked we they walk us in and so they burst through the doors, you know, the crier burst the doors and guy, I forget what their first the first thing they were playing.
Speaker 4: It was it would either been piece of My Love grove me I like one of their face.
Speaker 7: We dont negotiated four songs and then somewhere in the middle of the set, Aaron Hall said, uh, I know ya, I.
Speaker 5: Want to hear it's the Maarn Hall and Teddy Riley was like, what the fuck?
Speaker 4: Teddy and Teddy and Teddy Riley and.
Speaker 2: Damien.
Speaker 5: They got up, walked, they left the stage.
Speaker 7: Aaron performed, then they came back saying their hits, their Black Street hits, and we ended up getting like the ten songs because your set started late.
Speaker 4: Two songs, because how many songs?
Speaker 2: You don't be afraid.
Speaker 1: And I miss you myiod find out he did get a little freaky tonight, get a little for you to me would get a little fig with all the places I would you.
Speaker 2: Yes, I know your R and B. No, I don't know. I don't know who are you? You know what it is.
Speaker 1: I think being Steve. I think being being in Voodoo jail for five years just totally took.
Speaker 2: Us out of commission. I missed all the greasy R and B I did. We were listening to some pretty good from ninety five to two thousand. We were stuck in the time ship. Two thousand, Yeah, that was that good army. When niggas was singing with water on their chest twelve next yet next, Yeah, ideal and profile and all of that.
Speaker 1: I said, I almost wow, Wow, I ruined it because I did not have or nor did I I know.
Speaker 5: Uh uh Brod was making suggestions I didn't have hot.
Speaker 1: Boy, but oh yeah, that was like damn near all the cavaliers and Kevin Hart like Yo play play hot boy and I'm like, I was.
Speaker 2: Like, baby, and.
Speaker 4: I was like, you need a hot boy?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's where I was. And I was like, they just looked at me like and.
Speaker 5: I want the Spinners.
Speaker 7: Like so it's like we had you know, this is what happens when you marry a man almost ten years you know, ten years younger, and then his teammates are like almost ten years younger than him.
Speaker 4: Oh you know what I mean. So that's frustrating a little bit.
Speaker 5: It can be because I was like, so, who wants to come to the Hall of Oates concert.
Speaker 2: I'll go to a Hall of those concerts.
Speaker 5: I just made him come with me, maybe like a month ago.
Speaker 4: He knew the songs, he just didn't know how much he loved.
Speaker 7: Them to know him because I forced him to listen, like in the car, like he knows the Spinners because I've forced him to listen to it.
Speaker 4: But I'll be like, who is this freaky valley in the four seas?
Speaker 6: Yes, I've given up that battle, oh with with your Yeah, because you're dating your younger She don't.
Speaker 4: She's a little young like she I mean.
Speaker 2: There's a three in the left digit of her age.
Speaker 4: She looks good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she looks good, you said, I'm sorry, Yeah, trying to bring her out a bit on myself. No, I know, I don't want to bring on the show because everything ain't for sale. Yeah, you do. Got to bring around your family. You got to bring around man. Yeah, got you at your countertops.
Speaker 4: You don't know she's a sister to Sorry, no, I would put that together.
Speaker 2: That's not news, nigga is don't know that's the perception in your head.
Speaker 7: Okay, Well, only because I know. I mean, he has dated a couple of my friends and they are both black.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so yeah, dog again, there must be I've only known him twenty some years.
Speaker 2: What do I know? Because I don't let you know everything.
Speaker 4: I know you hide him. It's good, hide this one, and I like her.
Speaker 2: I'm not hurting nobody. I just he wasn't hiding you. I'm I I wouldn't hide you from the world. I was heard had the world from you from Drake talking about it's falling offs. Man, this is perfect. Shooting the ship with Gabriel Union. This is fucking dope.
Speaker 6: Yo, I really think, man, I don't know, like because because I'm not I mean, I watched like your moving up, but like I don't I don't follow like the gossip blogs and stuff, so I really didn't know that much about your life.
Speaker 4: I hated the scripts and I didn't know. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just feel like this is a side of you that people don't get to see because.
Speaker 5: Like you if you follow me or you are like even marginally around.
Speaker 4: Right now, like I usually have a cocktail or scientist.
Speaker 2: Dupre Yeah, okay, look, you getting pulled over.
Speaker 1: I don't want to slightly open a door, and we have a limited time left, so you know, I do want to talk about, uh, what's happening now. I was like, well, as far as no, no, no, I mean, because I know that you're you're for a while, there was a sisterhood gathering of the me too.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 4: I was like, wait what, I don't know what you're talking about our group chat.
Speaker 1: In the group chat, sir, No, okay, I didn't go there, but I just mean, like, yes, where at the time when you guys were you know, where it was deep into Harvey's situation and whatnot. There was like okay, let's take action rosters. And now it's like four or five months later, has anything significant come you know, from the gathering or is.
Speaker 7: It just like I think, because it made the conversation so much wider, you know what I mean. I've been doing this work for shit. I've been out about being a sexual assault survivor for almost twenty five years, you know. To Ronna Burke, she's been you know, in the movement ground you know, ground floor for fifteen twenty years. So for those of us who've been doing the work, it's not a new conversation, but trying to reach as many people as as we as needed to be reached, who needed help, healing and justice. We just weren't reaching as all the people that needed us. So with the Times of Movement and Me Too movement, the conversation is worldwide. So people are are feeling strengthened and heard and seen to be able to share their their truth and.
Speaker 2: Some of that.
Speaker 7: Sometimes that leads to justice. Sometimes that leads to a safer work environment. Sometimes it leads to having conversations where people know it's like, please don't pull your dick out, like not appropriate, not appropriate in the office, Like I don't want to be making copies with your dick next to me, Like stop it. So it's starting to help people police themselves in work environments of what is reasonable and what is unreasonable because so much of so much unreasonable behavior was not even spoken about. You just took it, especially if you were in a subordinate position, and so everyone thought that that shit was normal, and it's not normal.
Speaker 5: It's never it never has been.
Speaker 7: So now that the conversation is more out there and people know that there are consequences to the bullshit, it's starting to help people behave a bit better and people know that there are consequences.
Speaker 1: Do you feel a personal like uh difference in it or is it just people saying Okay, I'm sorry, I mean that. Don't you know, like are they slow to joke around you or anything.
Speaker 7: I think there's slow to joke period, like inappropriate jokes, like even in Hollywood, where I mean we make a living off of, you know, inappropriate things and being able to be free sort of.
Speaker 5: But there's a there's a there's a line between being funny and being racist.
Speaker 7: There's a line between being funny and subjecting your coworkers to your fucking dick. There's a line between like offering opportunity and offering opportunity coupled with your dick, Like there's a fucking difference and like this gray area that people keep like, but what about it? It's like, no, motherfucker, you know, this isn't like rocket science. You've just known that so many other people have gotten away with it, and now we're just not letting everyone get away with it. And there's still so much more work to be done. And there's because there's so much anytime someone comes out, this idea that victims become fucking famous for telling their truth is bullshit And nobody wants to be famous for this shit. You want the shit to stop. You want to be able to go to work, do your shit, create cool shit, and go the fuck home, you know what I mean, Like you don't want to be followed or harassed or subjective to bullshit.
Speaker 5: You want to do your shit and get the fuck home.
Speaker 7: And I think now people are a little bit more conscientious of the shit that's probably actually in their you know, rule books. You know they know where the HR department is if they didn't before.
Speaker 6: How do you think the asia R Gentle situation is affecting it or what effect do you think you will have on the movement.
Speaker 5: I think it's it's.
Speaker 7: It's it's unfortunate that she took a leadership position knowing she had she had hurt a child. So in that sense, she's hurting her herself and she hurt because she hurt a child, and she's paying a consequence.
Speaker 2: For the record, she's categorically denying that that happened.
Speaker 4: The video, the.
Speaker 5: Picture she at she admitted that ship and you know, n.
Speaker 4: So down did we have to do like I mean, not we but amongst the women in the leadership, does that have to be a conversation of all right girl, so y'all good? Right. The thing is, it's a leadership.
Speaker 7: It's a leaderless movement, except there are people who are sort of elective elected by If you're doing an interview, you know, for your movie or whatever, and somebody asked you a question about you know, me too and times up then and I and I answer it, they'll be like Gabrielle Union leader of you know, I'm like, no, I'm answering question. But because you know, she was, she was sort of putting herself in a position of leadership because like.
Speaker 4: Rose McGowan is a face that you might say, okay, I know it's not a leadership. But she is definitely a face.
Speaker 5: She's she's she's very much in the forefront.
Speaker 7: So yeah, so you would think if you are going to be in the forefront, that you shouldn't make payments to you know, to a you know, damn it sung around with a kid. But no, I mean, and and also that hurt people hurt people, you know, not all not obviously not all hurt people hurt people, but you know, unfortunately sometimes you know, people who have been abused go on to abuse other people, and at some point we have to be accountable for our behavior and face consequences.
Speaker 4: Do you really think now that we now we're talking about the resurgence of Louis k and whatnot, and when it comes to Hollywood, because maybe on you know, in other industries, I feel like there may be more consequences, but in Hollywood it seems like, let's just give it six months, or let's give it a year, just lay back. Yeah, I mean, I mean maybe Kevin's I'm thinking.
Speaker 7: I think that's a wrap for him. Yeah, I mean, he got a standing ovation. So if you were, if you were one of the chicks that.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I heard it on his new his stand up or he did a set.
Speaker 7: So I mean, what I you know, just from social media, that's just what I've I've been when I'm not tweeting the boy from to all the boys I've loved before. Yeah, no, I I I saw that he went up after being gone with eight months and got it before he spoke a word, got a standing ovation. So just thinking from the space of one of the five women. Out of five women, he asked all five if he could masturbate in front of them. Three said no, two said yes or but there were women who said no, I'm cool no and still proceeded to do that. So if you're one of those women, and then when they went on to talk about him masturbating.
Speaker 5: He derailed their careers.
Speaker 4: So that's your career.
Speaker 7: That is a long consequence for speaking out about and not even speaking to the media. Is just speaking to other people like, Yo, this motherfucker like whacked off while I was sitting there. You know what I mean, what message does that send if you're them, Well, we're not living.
Speaker 4: In a world that cares about them right now, right Like doesn't you think you have all about Well.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but that was just a big fuck you to me. I mean, like just the way, and I think a lot of people sort of felt that way. And then you know, I'm scrolling through the comments, it was like, well, how long or what was his name?
Speaker 5: What's his name?
Speaker 7: Michael Ian Black? He kind of came stepped up and came to Lewis e K's defense. It was like, well, on the other side of this METO movement, with these men who have been you know, sort of out it as you know, exhibiting shitty behavior, how do we get how do how do they get on the road to redemption? And how long should they? And you know, and the response categorically was I don't fucking know, I don't fucking care, Like it's not long enough. And maybe a standing ovation before he said a word, much less publicly from the stage, you know, addressed it again or taking public steps to whatever it is. But I think a lot of people feel very strongly about.
Speaker 2: Also say I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: I'll say that the audience at the Comedy Seller is beyond Bridge and Tunnel like usually it's it's like a touristy spot, a lot of people from out the country and that sort of thing. So I almost think that their borderline like not connected I'm not even trying to man explain or quest plain it.
Speaker 4: No you're not. No, you're not explaining anything. I get what you're saying, but it just doesn't make any sense because they went to see him.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, like you go.
Speaker 1: You go to the Comedy Cellar, hoping is a place where the big names go to practice a set to see if this material works in that so any night could be Chris Rock, Jerry Seinfeld.
Speaker 2: So I went.
Speaker 7: Chris called when he was putting his act together, the last act together, and he's like, Yo, come come see you know, I'm going to go up to at the at the Comedy Cellar and I'd never been. I had no idea where it was, and it's so dark in there. I was sitting in the back. I couldn't tell you what the crowd looked like because all I could see is him on the stage and then you know, the crowd is pretty dark from where I was sitting, So I couldn't even tell you the type of phograph.
Speaker 5: I would have no idea.
Speaker 1: But usually it's it's you know, Germans visiting New York for the summer, like that's sort of thing.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, Yeah, So it.
Speaker 4: Wasn't like, I'm curious, what are you guys.
Speaker 7: It's like, you know, two women and four guys, Like, what do you guys think of the Me Too?
Speaker 2: Movement?
Speaker 1: I think it's right, well not right on time, it's overdue. Yeah, I mean, this shit's wrong and something needs to be done about it. So let's do something about it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well no, no, at least the conversations I've had with you, I know that we've spoken at length about you know, are do the women in the movement understand that women of color having going through this way longer and harsher.
Speaker 2: With everything, with the page gap and and you know, everything that comes with it.
Speaker 1: And so I almost feel as though if for to truly be a movement, there has to be a universal understanding of all the components involved.
Speaker 7: You know, yeah, some do, some don't, you know, some some you know, like when you think of Hollywood, you have to look at it as like any community. So there's there's the very very wealthy who live in the big game engines, and then there's the people who live in in you know, government subsidized housing. You know, like regular working actors who will never be famous. They just love what they do, and you know, generally have second and third jobs. But all of these people are part of part of the movement. The people in the gay communities are not going to be relating to the struggle of a working actor and the basic things that working actors are fighting for, like like insurance and health care and you know, basic rights.
Speaker 5: So it's not that they're uneducated per se, it's more of it's not my reality.
Speaker 7: So the ship I'm fighting for I want to make what Mark Wahlberg makes, and we're like, wait, what, Yeah, it's yeah, it's it's it's such a massive they're just totally different conversations.
Speaker 4: But yes, I think everyone's.
Speaker 1: Yes, but it's is it doing more harm if there's not an understanding it? And are you the type that's willing to let them know in a very clear manner without you.
Speaker 5: Know, I've never been one to hold my tongue.
Speaker 1: So when you when you respond, when you when you respond, is it more like radio silence from your sisterhood or I think.
Speaker 7: I think people are more concerned wanting to know more about what I'm feeling than you know, what I may communicate via a text, so I'll get a call be like, okay, help me understand what what what? What exactly you want me to convey to the larger group, because I'll talk to certain individuals as a postse to like full thread, you know, threads of people or whatever. But no, I don't think anyone's ever really confused by what I say.
Speaker 5: I'm very clear.
Speaker 7: I'm like, listen, if your movement is not intersectional, and you are not centering the most marginalized among us, then it's a moment.
Speaker 5: It's not a fucking movement. I'm not interested in a moment.
Speaker 7: I'm too old. I'm too I'm too tired. I've been through, I've been too way too much shit. So for if I'm actually going to participate in something, we are going to center the most vulnerable of us, and that's not you. So hand over the microphone, push away from the desk, pull some other chairs up, and let somebody else talk.
Speaker 6: I think it has to be I think it has to be like you know, when you ask you know what we thoughts from moving where. I think it has to be some kind of I don't know if just it has to be some kind of definition as to what is what. So for me, when I saw it, it was like I compared it to almost kind of like in American gangster Gizell when he was talking about like, Yo, this is blue magic, you know what I'm saying, and it's like, this is my package, Like I stand behind I guarantee it. If you want to cut the ship and call it something else, fine, but don't call this shit blue magic, you know what I mean. That was kind of my thoughts on just like when when it first happened, and like first the Harvey shit broke and like everybody was like holy shit, you know.
Speaker 2: What I mean.
Speaker 6: It was like yo, like that's a fucking package. But then like disease, I'm sorry, shit, it was just.
Speaker 2: Like you feel me. It was you know what I mean, I mean to me, until a lot of people it was just like.
Speaker 6: Like okay, like like the Harvey stuff, like a lot of the other the stories like that was like clear cut AsSalt, like that was like that was just black and white.
Speaker 4: But isn't that the process? And the oh, it was like that's the process, just like you got an Asia Argento, like this is something new and everything is not one hundred. We got to learn the balance and the.
Speaker 2: Skalets would be on the road to Harvey had he not.
Speaker 4: Been No, no, no, I'm just saying that, for lack of a better term, mistakes will happen, some things will fall between the cracks, like there will be some misunderstand Like that's gonna happen, It's gonna be an disease. But if as long as it's you know, ninety.
Speaker 6: Ten, I just with the AZ just in that in particular, I'm like back to just the blue maginology. You can call that whatever you want, but if I'm the leader of that movement, I'm like, yo, you can't call that.
Speaker 2: Shit me too.
Speaker 5: No leader, but there's no leader, no leader.
Speaker 6: I'm just saying, if see but you feel me like I'm speaking in how fucking product with that bullshit?
Speaker 1: The problem is also, you know, the problems that I've had with it are like, say a publication like Time magazine will decide and cherry pick who they feel will sell more magazines for the movement right now. When they did it last year, and you know, I saw certain people on there, I was like, wait.
Speaker 2: A minute, come on, Like.
Speaker 1: And you know, I don't think it should be like the prizes or like who's the most victimized or that sort of.
Speaker 6: Thing, and that's kind of what it becomes, though at least it seems to me it becomes like the Olympics of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but the way that they portrayed it was just like, Okay, well we'll pick these four particular ones because they're big box office draws, right.
Speaker 2: And we'll use them as that. And then.
Speaker 1: You know, that's sort of where I was like, Ah, this, this is where it gets ruined. But does it need a leader?
Speaker 7: I mean, it's like civil rights movement, right, there's so many of us who all have different ideas about or had different ideas about civil rights and how best to get them. There is the Martin Luther King, but you know more you know, nonviolent movement, and then they're you know, Black Panther, you know Malcolm X. I think you you align yourself with whose route matches your ideologies. So I don't think there has to be one leader or if the goal is liberty, I think there's many paths to that, and you you either you lead or you follow who best speaks to your needs and your desires and where you see the change you want to see.
Speaker 2: So how do you handle somebody?
Speaker 6: So how do you address that in the context of somebody like Nick Parker who was found not guilty in a court of law.
Speaker 2: But still you know.
Speaker 4: He pre me too though he pre me too well.
Speaker 2: I mean, well he will he.
Speaker 6: No, no, that movie like fucking like he yeah, he for that ship, that ship thanks and so like yeah, so how do you like reconcile that?
Speaker 2: I mean and you work with him? So but which was even more fun because it's like, yo, he was convicted.
Speaker 4: He was trying not about the We didn't care about that.
Speaker 2: How could you but see what that's fucked up?
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying in a sense of we're not gonna not We're not. I don't think a lot of sisters was like, we ain't gonna support this movie because we think that he did that. That wasn't the system. That was kind of nah said, that wasn't the sustance that you can But I'll tell you that I wasn't the system.
Speaker 6: Is No, it was not, Listen, I was. I am a frequent black Twitter Power user like Nigga. I got the deluxe package like it was so many fucking Oh he's canceled, he trashed and I'm like, yo, how is a man who was put on trial for potentially raping a white one.
Speaker 2: Hold on, hold on. Before you get finished that, I'm gonna say one thing. R Kelly. Okay, well that's court of law. And he was not convicted. He was trying to go. But in the case of all Kelly, I mean there was a tape that was I mean it was.
Speaker 7: Though, right, Justice isn't wrong right, no, no, no, no, But I'm just saying, but you just it was there was a tape, but but justice didn't just because I might.
Speaker 2: I might have been again the voodoo hole. Was there a trial for R. Kelly? Yeah, there was. There was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it was evidence.
Speaker 2: But then but I forgot what it was.
Speaker 1: I think I don't think they allowed the jury to watch it or was it like thrown out or mistrial?
Speaker 7: I can't remember because remember they had didn't they have to testify, like to break down the parts of the tape, and they brought in people to testify to like the to the to the.
Speaker 2: Episode and yes, yeah, but they did.
Speaker 1: They didn't come to a verdicant because I remember because I went to a wedding that day and we heard it on the way to the wedding.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: No, he was found out gives and I think it had something to do with the family. Wouldn't testify something like that. Yeah, it was, it was something like that. It was something like that.
Speaker 2: But that was r Kelly was different.
Speaker 6: And plus, anybody's been in the they been Kelly been on some fun ship like that ship ain't new. But but in particular with the Nate Parker thing, that was a thing where it's like, Okay, this is a guy, black man who was on trial again for raping a white woman that.
Speaker 2: That angel, that Lily White.
Speaker 4: He married, Like, no, dude, he was.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying like he was.
Speaker 6: He was on trial in fucking like Pennsylvania, Like Pennsylvania is Alabama with Philly in it.
Speaker 2: Nigga, Like.
Speaker 6: He's right, Nigga was on trial in Pennsylvania for fucking allegedly raven a white woman beat it, found not guilty. His homeboy was found guilty. And then and when he went in, they later went back and was like, you know what, this was bullshit.
Speaker 2: So his on boy got out.
Speaker 6: So this is a guy who was by all the accounts, found not guilty something, but he was still fucking like raked over the.
Speaker 2: Coldes for that.
Speaker 4: So it's just like my mama said, yeah, he still married that white woman, right, And that's that's what I remember, and a lot of women's I don't know whatever, but what I don't think, I.
Speaker 2: Just that's the movement.
Speaker 4: So it was been for three.
Speaker 7: I mean, I think listen with anything, there's no easy answers, Like you know, I was just having this debate. I've been a debate speaking facts about the civil rights movement, erasure of women and the LGBTQ community who are instrumental in the movement that we to this day don't don't recognize and acknowledge. James Balbin rested, like, there, I mean, but we today it's twenty eighteen, we're acknowledging them. Back in the day, you know, it was like do the work and we'll reap the benefits, but we will never give.
Speaker 5: You your your your desserts.
Speaker 7: So every no movement is is ideal or perfect or with one leader, and it's rarely the wheels of progress rarely turn at the rate we want them to, and everything is in flux. And if the goal is liberty, it's a long road. And it has been a long road, you know, especially for us.
Speaker 4: So and that's what I keep feeling out. It's funny because as you asked that question, I always say, you know, I'm just going to wait until these white women get their freedom so I can get mine, just like voting and everything they else and with the dollar and everything else, because it seems like there's an order to things, no matter how much we're involved, it's an order. And that's why I have on this shirt protect Black Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's kind of me.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't really, Yeah, I just I stay out of white people problems. I stay out of white people issues because I think, like when you like with your shirt protect Black Women, I just think like we have issues within our community as black people that we gotta handle and we can't talk about our ship in front of white people.
Speaker 4: That's it, and that's true conversation. I think what roy Wood Jr. Offered at he offered a small good step that I thought was good for brothers.
Speaker 2: Oh what niggas calling shit out? Claim?
Speaker 4: Yeah, when you see ship, don't just laugh at it. When you see a woman DM being disrespected in a room full of dudes, or you just see a period, don't just laugh. Don't just be silent, Like, can we just start there.
Speaker 6: Oh no, I think and I think we definitely have started there. I mean just because well, I mean we had Quick. We were talking about Quick. It's just like you start to realize at a certain point of your life, y'all niggas liabilities, you know what I'm saying, And it's like I can't have y'all, I'm not risking what I built up because you want to be a fucking dickhead, you know what I mean. So if if nothing else, even if you can't get cats to understand it on just a human man woman level, just same to like, look now, these niggas about to fuck up all your money. Like Quick had a six figure check then he had to spend on legal fees.
Speaker 2: Think about that.
Speaker 4: It's a shame as you got to make him think about that just to respect a woman.
Speaker 2: But I get you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: Look listen, I mean listen, you got to meet people where they at, you know what I mean, Somebody can take them somewhere.
Speaker 4: Lets somebody say, fuck your mama, it's a whole problem, Like don't do it to my mama, but do it to everybody else.
Speaker 2: If somebody say, if somebody said, like your mom I'm saying, most.
Speaker 4: Men are protective of their mothers. But if you have to go all around that to just say no, no, no, you got to give them all that extra bullshit just to be like respect that one.
Speaker 2: And I agree with you on that.
Speaker 6: I don't think I should have to be like whenever, because that's the knee jerk response niggas like, oh man, that's somebody mama, that's somebody daughter, that's like a woman like she just she's a human fucking being.
Speaker 2: Just if she ain't got no kids, she's still a person, like you know what I mean.
Speaker 7: So I agree, Well, it's crazy because it's like we all, you know, think but the kids, like you know, that's where I draw the line with kids.
Speaker 4: But you see that, no, not at all.
Speaker 7: You see that nine year old boy who comes out of who comes out as gay to his his mother, his parents, and goes to school and proceeds to get bullied for being gay and kills himself. This was just a couple of days ago, and you see all over social media not let's address the bullying. You know, well, how did he know he was gay? Nine years old is too young to know you're gay? And really it's actually black. But dude, the picture that they show, I can't.
Speaker 2: I can't like red internet comments before the internet.
Speaker 6: Comment is where I did not like sell just I you want to give up all hoping human you gumms.
Speaker 7: Like h but you you would think like basic humanity. This child has has felt so bullied that he even killed himself. Well the kids, the kids, I guess, were bullying him, telling him to kill himself, and he like, I think it was like day four killed himself. He was nine and just watching people do the mental gymnastics instead of you know, offering prayers for the boy and his family or whatever it was, Why are you forcing the gay lifestyle on this boy? And it was like the gay lifestyle? Where's the gay lifestyle? Because I think I'd like to sign up for it.
Speaker 5: It's, I mean, the gay life. I'm like, what the fuck is that?
Speaker 7: This is a child who was bullied, And how about we check what the fuck is happening in the in the homes of the bullies. What kind of homophobic, transphobic, islamophobic, racist, misogynistic bullshit is happening in those homes. Let's let's start there, and and how you unleash these little hellions on their classmates to say crazy shit to this boy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's like not no, I've It's just why I think you have to like well, I mean accuse me, because people will be people. I mean, no matter who you are, whether you're gay, straight, trans, whatever, there's always gonna be somebody that just don't fuck with you. So like the thing, cause I have to something. My boys are seventeen and thirteen, and my thing is just like you have to arm them. My thing is about to think. My message I tell them is like listen, ninety percent of people shit ninety five ninety nine percent of people are just all taught. So if you can make yourself and build yourself up mentally to where you're immune to words, then you're fucking bulletproof cause you ain't gotta They not gonna do shit.
Speaker 2: They talking because they ain't gonna do nothing. So you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: If you people say and they say fuck, they want to say like they's talking because that's all they can do. So I think it starts. I've just always been a person of I just try to think in context of I can't control what other people do. Whatever, Like phobias, they god or they hate they got like, they ain't got shit to do with me.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: I have to build myself and teach mine to be like Listen, it's all kinds. It takes all kinds of make up a world. Everybody ain't gonna like you. It's gonna be some people that don't want to fuck with you for whatever reason. It's my job to give you the tools to where you don't even look for that person for validation. You whatever you are, whatever you feel like, you are, gay, strict, whatever the hell, be confident and be and own who you are. You know what I'm saying, because if you own who you are, then this other shit, these other that's just some puncture. You ain't even got to worry about that because you good with who you are and if you're good with it, and that's all the matter more.
Speaker 2: You know what's that man.
Speaker 6: Finally later.
Speaker 2: To do? Is this how we aim to be going out anyway? Yeah, we're gonna fall in the vicious rabbit hole. And I know that Queen Union has to be tomorrow.
Speaker 4: What you're doing? What are you doing tomorrow?
Speaker 7: Actually tomorrow morning? I work out every morning at six am, so I'm up at five am. But tomorrow is Michael Jackson the Michael Jackson Diamond uh celebration.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, you're going to go in Vegas?
Speaker 2: Vegas? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Are you going to do?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: No, I got it.
Speaker 4: He got work to do. You're gonna be here with us?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'll be celebrating.
Speaker 7: Let me see three t because I'm gonna who took the pen out of me?
Speaker 4: Who unpinned me?
Speaker 2: Well? I thank you for coming on the show, guest, Thank you so much. Fun.
Speaker 4: Before we can, I just ask a blue little question because Gab, you know you're always on Twitter promoting. I know you just recently had a win in Florida. Yes, would you like to promote anything else that you think people should be aware of? The get further into closer to this November.
Speaker 2: You realize this is not probably not airing until do be so we have of a team Supreme Sugar Steve, you're still there?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Bro, and Uhson about to call you our sideo.
Speaker 2: Bosslle you there.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, Thank you appreciate it. I love you, Thank you so much for finally we made it happen. All right, This is Quest Love, Quest Love Supreme only on Pandora. We will see you on the next go round. Thank you, quest Love Supreme. It's a production of iHeart Radio. This classic episode was produced by the team at Pandora. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.