Speaker 1: First of all, you don't know me. We all about that high school drama, Girl drama, Girl, all about them.
Speaker 2: High school queens.
Speaker 1: We'll take you for a ride, and our comic girl shared for the right teams.
Speaker 2: Drama, Queens of girl Fashion, but your tough girl, you could sit with us.
Speaker 1: Girl Drama, Queens, Drama, Queens Drama, Queens Drama, Drahma, Queens Drama Queens.
Speaker 3: I feel like at the top, it's worth noting that I like barely finished this episode because I was dealing with high school sports stuff and it felt very meta. It felt very one Tree Hill.
Speaker 2: How are you dealing with high school sports stuff?
Speaker 3: Because my son plays on a high school team. He's a novice. They bump up the eighth graders, and so Gus is so us because there's bullying going on with the upperclassmen and Gus this week was.
Speaker 4: Like not today, not today.
Speaker 3: He's like Nathan Scott, we only believe in positive leadership.
Speaker 2: Now there you go.
Speaker 3: And I just love how this show infant rds every corner of our life still the time.
Speaker 5: It's amazing all the time.
Speaker 2: Well, on that note, why don't we get started? Season six, episode twenty one, A Kiss to Build a Dream on air date April twenty seventh, two thousand and nine. This episode's synopsis is Peyton and Lucas take a trip in the comet in the past, and she struggles with the boredom of being stuck in bed as a pregnant woman tip a call. We also have Brooke discovering something that could change Sam's life, that absolutely will change Sam's life. Nathan questions his dreams of playing in the NBA, while Hayley receives an unexpected offer from who. Jamie and Skills Men their broken hearts at Jamie's first school dance. I loved this sequel and Lucas and Peyton remember they remember a memorable road trip they took together after high school.
Speaker 3: I love remembering memorable both things.
Speaker 5: Memories.
Speaker 3: I liked this episode. I didn't take notes because I was just like, I'm just gonna watch it. I'm just gonna watch it to just watch it and not make it a homework assignment. And I liked that everyone had real storyline that felt good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this felt like such an eighties movie to me. The whole episode was like a fun eighties movie, especially with the flashbacks and with the Skills at the school dance and all the literally what do you call it, the tinsel hanging on the walls, all those shots with them in this school dance environment. There was so much about this I really enjoyed.
Speaker 4: I'm seeing Erica Dunton directed it, Oh did she?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Erica was a staple. Her dad, Joe.
Speaker 3: Dunton, owned the camera house in Wilmington where we got all of our cameras from. They are like icons in the camera industry, and Erica was a director who was like our age and we might have been one of her first directing credits for TV. She does all sorts of huge now I want to say she does like Ted Lasso, like big stuff.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.
Speaker 5: I loved some of those classic choices you're referencing, like that, the dynamic of skills in Jamie. These two boys kind of pushing each other to be courageous, you know, across a generational line was so cute to me. And when they decided to go to the dance and it smash cut to them in slow motion walking out of the apartment through the halls, it was so good. Yeah, it was like twenty one Jump Street but better. I loved it.
Speaker 3: She understands that dynamic of drama and comedy and sometimes like heightened reality. And I think that's what was playing really well, is she's just got a really good sense of storytelling.
Speaker 2: Is It's a fine line, isn't it, between drama and comedy. You know, it seems like people think of it as two separate genres, but it's there's so many comedic moments in the middle of deep, heavy emotion. I feel like always these so much of it is so connected that you're you're on the cusp of either one at any given moment. So it's a really natural flow when a director understands that part of humanity and is able to convey it in an effective way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's a good chick and very British, you know. I like a British sensibility brought to Tree Hill. We needed more of that.
Speaker 4: It just felt so big.
Speaker 3: I feel like we were all over town, Like, Yeah, the locations on this were bananas because we were in Trick, we were in close over Bros. We were at Flame and Amy's, we were at edge of Urge, the basketball set. I don't know if that was on stage or if that was a you know, lany where we were at the College Trass Coliseum for that, Yeah, I mean we were all around town.
Speaker 2: And the flashback that was large too also because it was back in time, that was all over the fricking place. Yeah, it was a big episode for sure. I loved that. Though we've got all these different little pockets of storylines, Let's start with Lucas and Peyton.
Speaker 5: I love the dynamic. I love getting to see, you know, Peyton have a sort of hurdle in front of her that isn't tragedy. It's so nice to have a good time with you, Hill, and the sort of comedic sense of being trapped and bored is just fun. Like the jump cuts with you and the Big Bear and the paper planes and all the things like you just you can feel that feeling of stuckness, and it's sweet that it's, you know, wrapped in this romance. Like I love getting to see Peyton and Lucas happy. I like seeing him working on the car. I love the way you played that beat in the beginning of like You're making me a present?
Speaker 4: What is it like?
Speaker 5: You don't know, I don't know. It was just all so enjoyable to watch.
Speaker 3: Thanks well, yeah, Chad and I had hit a rhythm at that point, you know. I mean, we knew each other pretty well, and I think I liked to tease him a lot in real life. I was always just like, you love me, and he was always just like, what was like, dude, you fucking love me? You think I'm the coolest, And that was I love teasing him about that. I think I still do. I think anytime I see Chad, I'm just like, you have missed me. That's just kind of the dynamic of our relationship. So teasing is a good bassline for any Lucas Peyton stuff because it was really easy to play on. I watched six six twenty one back to back, so I just watched myself in a car crash and then it goes to this light stuff.
Speaker 4: So I have whiplash right now. I'm like, but I do like.
Speaker 3: I learned stuff in this episode with Peyton and Lucas. I didn't know that Peyton submitted his book to all these publishers.
Speaker 4: I thought it here, no, right, she.
Speaker 3: Thuds Haley with the song in this episode, and then we see a flashback of her thudding Lucas, and so that one thud he did back in season one created a domino effect.
Speaker 5: Hey, your art mattered.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying for those of you out there, thud your friends, it's real.
Speaker 4: It's a great time.
Speaker 5: You know what else I really liked about the flashback device with you two. I liked feeling like we got to go back in time a little bit and see you so happy because the move to La obviously we know, as this big sort of schism in your relationship, like it basically almost destroyed everything. And to see how excited they were laying on that car on the precipice of this shit, and that Peyton is talking about how she's got all her dreams wrapped up in this boy and she's going to hold him to all of his promises and they're going to get married and have a family. I was like, oh my god, I didn't know she said that to him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the same. And I loved it how far you guys went when everything fell apart. I love seeing where you are now and the space that you lived in before everything fell apart and you found your way back, like there was there was something kind of heartening about watching. I think Nathan is kind of going through the same thing too, of thinking about old dreams and living in a place in the future of like I'm still I'm still working on this dream and they're just working on it in different ways. Haley too.
Speaker 5: That was really powerful dialogue. It was such a simple thing, but you know when people use language so well and the words really mean what they mean, not like it was the worst or it was, but like you really like when when you guys are having that conversation when Nathan and Haley are talking about, you know, should he take the offer that's real or hold on to this fantasy that isn't yet and he says the thing about maybe he should let go of the fantasy, and you say, it's not a fantasy, it's your dream.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: That's really powerful language. And I thought that was such a great choice. You know, Karen Gist wrote this episode, and I thought that was such a wise observation to make out loud, and it's something that you could so easily miss if you weren't listening, and I just loved it. You know, to have someone who tells you not to give up on your dreams, to have someone who tells you there they're going to be there with you, it's really powerful because you can choose.
Speaker 2: You can change your mind about a dream, but to call it a fantasy and say it's not realistic, it'll never happen. Yeah, I don't like it. I think you got to You gotta keep keep going.
Speaker 3: Well, especially as how old are these characters. What are we supposed to be like twenty four? Do I need to let my dream go? No, bitches, We're in our forties, still pursuing things.
Speaker 4: Keep going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have a question, I'm a very important question. How long did it take to make that paper airplane catch work at that Dour in the opening?
Speaker 4: I think that was a happy accident, was it? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I was just supposed to throw them at him. I think that was a happy You know, Chad loves sports.
Speaker 2: It was a football catch with an airplane.
Speaker 3: I guess I'm just saying art. It was so great, so many arts and crafts in this episode, Between Brooks doodling and Peyton's planes.
Speaker 4: And Hailey singing songs, we were.
Speaker 2: Just Victorian art shredding paper.
Speaker 3: I guys, I wow, Toria and San Sam.
Speaker 5: I did too.
Speaker 4: And I feel like such a trader, but I love.
Speaker 5: It, by the way I should. I should feel like a trader, And I think it's so good. And one of my favorite things Daphne does is the fact that she calls Sam by her full name, Samantha. I like Samantha. She's plucky and dark.
Speaker 4: Such a great lie.
Speaker 3: And by the way, that made my hair raise up because I was like, plucky and dark Peyton sores plucky and darkenings right her.
Speaker 5: Well, she never liked Brook either, damn it.
Speaker 3: She's Yeah, it's interesting to watch her maneuver with Sam because you don't know if she's doing it to stick it to Brook. You know, is this like a Dan Scott move? Remember when Dan had had Lucas move in to piss Nathan off. Yeah, it's like, is this a Dan Scott move? Or she's just genuinely curious about this little animal who's so abrasive with her, Like maybe if Brooke had given it back as a teenager and sassed off to her mom instead of trying to be pleasing, things would have been different. You know. She when she asks Sam, how did you weasel your way into my daughter's life? And she's like, well, I shoplifted and then I had her assaulted and then she found me in a car.
Speaker 2: Loved it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's really well done. Their dynamic is so good and this sort of intergenerational like buddy comedy they're doing matches the Skills and Jamie and it's just I just love it.
Speaker 2: It is a buddy comedy for the girls. That's so true, but.
Speaker 5: It's a buddy comedy done like Wednesday, like the Adams Family. It's like, you know, dark and strange and like it's just the two of them are so funny as themes to the episode. And I also really loved that in all of the things they rightfully wrote for me to be enraged about, like you're manipulating a child and you shredded these letters and how dare you? And this isn't your place and you know all of it the wound just like you just had Hillary of Like but that's Peyton and Victoria never liked her. It's like, you're gonna take this little girl who you called a street urchin shopping and I'm your child and you never took me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I love that some of our like wounded teenage girls are popping out. In response to seeing Victoria be kind.
Speaker 4: Your delivery of that line hurt me. I was like, oh god, I feel that she never took me shopping.
Speaker 2: It's a complicated dynamic. I mean, the mother daughter is always complicated. But yeah, thinking about how competitive Victoria's been, I mean, this is a tough sell for Victoria to be wanting to be seen as genuine and actually investing in Sam's life and trying to make amends when we know there's been so much in her past. That's like just being competitive with Brooke. It's in a really creepy way, like why are you competitive with your own child? It's weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, with all of her one liners, right, I'm just wondering if young Victoria wasn't more like Sam, you know what I mean. Like, it's really easy for women as we get older to see complicated young people and tolerate their tomfoolery because we're like, oh man, I was like that, Like I love a duff teenage chick. Every time I meet one, I'm like, hey, kid, come over here, you can talk to me.
Speaker 4: I think that there's a softness for.
Speaker 3: Kids that are open about their problems, you know, and Brooke always presented so like I fine, I fine, everything's fine. I'm the most popular, I'm the prettiest, I'm the most you know, like Yeah, that could have been off putting to poor Brook's mother, Oh the hurt.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's interesting because when Victoria behaves in her usual way in this episode, Sam calls her out on it. So this, you know, this motherless child is mothering my mother essentially, And at the same time, there's something about Sam that's clearly making Victoria want to do over. And the way they manage to see each other, you know, Sam encourages her not to be so mean, and Victoria, in her own way, encourages Sam not to be defined by her past. And within this container you do see Victoria trying to get to Brook the way she compliments my work and then walks over to Sam, who immediately ribs her for it, like nice chip at the wall, you know, as she gets defensive.
Speaker 3: Guys, it's just occurring to me that Brooks whole fixation with Sam, and like Julian, who also says shitty things to her, is that she's conditioned by her mother wound to be drawn to people who say abrasive, shitty things to her.
Speaker 4: And Sam's just the youngest.
Speaker 3: Of all of them, right, and Sam is still malleable and able to turn her sittiness into vulnerability and honesty. But Brooke Davis is drawn to people who are quote unquote.
Speaker 2: Frank Yeah, well, of course she is because her mother's so manipulative, like you never feel like she would never feel like she has a safe space. She's got to have people around her who she knows are just telling her this straight up truth because there's no if there's any ambiguity, it's like, I don't trust you.
Speaker 5: Well, And what I think I like is because Brooke is so defensive with Victoria and is immediately like, I don't trust you, what are you doing? What I love as a device is seeing the way, even though she's clearly very imperfect, the way Victoria loves her. She knows these things about her, but she doesn't know how to say it to Brooks. So she says to Sam, She's like, I've seen this before. I know what this dynamic is. She got her heart broken and she started this company. Who broke her heart? Who's the boy? What did he do? And it's like the most loving I've ever seen Victoria be about Brook. But she can't do it to Brook's face, so she has to do it to Sam.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting that they didn't really touch on the fact that Brooke, Brooke is like, she's the one who wants to be a mom, She's the one who adopted Sam. Like, so the fact that Victoria's coming in and now trying to be the mom ish figure with Sam is problematic. I mean, they had Brooke focusing a lot on Victoria was never a mom to me, but she was just trying to be a mom to Sam.
Speaker 4: Is she trying to be a mom or she trying to be a buddy? Maybe both.
Speaker 2: I mean, it seems like she's trying to like re redo some nurturing stuff that she never did with Brooke.
Speaker 5: I think that's really common though, And we talked a little bit about this. You know, you were working on your other thing last week out. But you know, we're all at that age now where like so many of our friends have kids or like y'all have kids. The reality is like we know parents who weren't great, who are getting a second chance, who are great grandparents? Yeah, you know, and some of them, you know, don't get let back in at all because they were so not great.
Speaker 7: But like.
Speaker 5: Victoria seems to be getting a second chance right now, and Brooke very much is like, you don't get to come back in here, but Sam really will be a window through which Victoria does come back to Brook. Yeah, and I kind of love it, even though I hate it on screen. I love watching it.
Speaker 3: I saw myself in Victoria's shoes in that scene where Brook's like, you told me you never wanted to have me, and She's like, you brought a gun to my apartment and against trying to murder you.
Speaker 4: You know, like what are you talking about?
Speaker 5: Like we both were being insane.
Speaker 3: Yeah, points were made Victoria look at her with the growth and Daphne's just so fun. What a cool thing for Ashley to get to just like pal around with Daphney all day downtown.
Speaker 2: So much to learn. Also, how does Daphne get that volume in her hair? I have to call it?
Speaker 5: Oh, find out.
Speaker 3: Your hair was great this episode, Joy you had Yeah, you guys had great hair.
Speaker 2: It was big hair, big hair, big hair for you too, you had big hair, you did hair.
Speaker 3: They were so how many times have we played this beat of like the BedHead with the one teased something about Mary Chunk.
Speaker 4: I've done it two or three times.
Speaker 3: They've got poor Ashley doing it, you know, like everybody's.
Speaker 4: Doing the BedHead thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, except for Brooke who always wakes up with the happy Bob.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Well, oh when I had these seasons that I had the Bob, it was just it was a one trick pony that was it. In the last episode, they really tried to give me that little ponytail, and all it was was like a little nub like a dog with a short tail and like the snooky poof. It wasn't good, but they tried. They were like, please give us some barote.
Speaker 6: You guys, I miss it.
Speaker 3: Hillary.
Speaker 5: I need to know some things because because our pal Nickolache is married to your pal from MTV, The Lovely Vanessa. I how did he wind up on our show girl? I don't know, Okay, I thought maybe you knew, or maybe you made the intro, because genuinely, when he's the one who walks in the door wanting to buy Haley's song for his album, I was like, that's how we found Nickolache?
Speaker 1: Like what?
Speaker 5: I was so confused. I couldn't remember why. In later episodes, this year he goes to the wedding with me.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, he does he sticks around that long, babe, he's my date to your wedding. I don't remember a lot of these upisdes Oh, I.
Speaker 5: Sure do, because I was sort of I mean, you know, I always some of the devices we're doing are so great and unique and amazing, and then some of them I think are shitty. And what I didn't love was in this really poignant storyline with Mia and Chase, which we will get to, they were like, oh yeah, Brook slept with him, and she slept with nickolas Che and she I was like, what are we doing? Is Brook so maternal that you have to remind people she like hassex?
Speaker 4: There are we that base you brazen husse?
Speaker 5: She's a hussey? So I was like, why are we doing this? And then it hit me like, oh yeah, he sticks around and he goes with Brooke to Peyton's wedding. But I couldn't remember because I don't remember how long they've been together.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 5: I didn't know if we somehow got to Nick Lache through you Vanessa trl No.
Speaker 3: I've known Nixon like you know, the Newlyweds days before even and he was always like Nick's always been such a down cool guy. He's just a dude, you know, and doesn't pretend to be anything other than like a guy's guy's hanging out with the grips and stuff. I think what our show realized in the last two seasons is that stunt casting worked really well on our show. So Kevin Fetterline coming in and having that arc got a lot of buzz in the magazines. And then James Vanderbeek coming in and playing this part that got a lot of attention. They're like, Okay, what other guy can we bring in that is stunt casting? That doesn't quite fit? So gets us onto the soup again, you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And when we first come back in season five after that time jump, isn't he one of the knicks that your mom names? It's like, which nick are we going out with here? Oh my god, I forgot about that. This is a call that's so funny, and he.
Speaker 5: In a way reminds the audience of that going like, oh wow, well what is she up to now? You know, like he wants to reconnect and it is. It's It's an interesting tie in that it wound up working like that.
Speaker 3: I love the Brook Davis doesn't give a shit about Julian in this episode.
Speaker 4: Not no, she's just busy, man. I just cried in the airport for five home minutes.
Speaker 3: Busy, and I appreciate that as a woman because I feel like if a man had written this episode, there would have been a soliloquy somewhere about.
Speaker 4: I locked myself at the bathroom with it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there would have been some heartbreak. And I love that because Karen did. It's it's Victoria's observation rather than Brooke having to do onscreen exposition.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, good.
Speaker 4: And then Nick's just a reminder that like she can get whatever she wants, she doesn't have to go to La La homes to her heart.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Well, and I loved it in a way. He continues your joke Joy where you know, sweet Kate is like, but she's Brooke Davis and You're like, yeah, you're Mia Catalano, and it like goes back and forth, back and more than then Nick says to Chase, like, yo, Brooke Davis, and poor Kate's just like say, you know, she's so pissed. It's so it's just so so funny, and it allows Stephen to come in and pick up where Haley left off and be like, but you're the one, Like you're the one. I'm really like, yeah, grown up in love with and it's so cutie.
Speaker 2: So here's something I thought was weird when Mia is speaking of that moment when Mia is saying she's so insecure because you know, his first time was with Brooke, and Haley's like, yeah, well you know you're pretty great too, basically, but she just brushes it off and she's like, I don't want to talk about this anymore.
Speaker 4: Haley is focused. She's focused.
Speaker 2: But what's so weird is that considering how big of a deal it was to Haley in high school when she found out that.
Speaker 5: Oh, that's right, Hailey was obsessed.
Speaker 2: About this, right, you're wrong. She knows what it feels like. So the fact that when Mia is really freaking out, she's just like, get over it. It's fine.
Speaker 3: Wait, but is it that the advice that Brooke Davis gave to Haley in high school, like pass this is dumb.
Speaker 5: Nobody cares well. But and the reality is like, what the way I took it? Joy was that Haley is like, I'm not opening this can of worms because if I do, I'm going to have to tell you that my husband lost his virginity to my sister. My husband slept with Brooke. My husband slept with Peyton, my husband.
Speaker 4: You know, like she's gonna have to be like you think you have it bad.
Speaker 5: Like literally Nathan has slept with every woman in Tree Hill.
Speaker 4: But why did she?
Speaker 2: But that actually would have been great to say, yeah, full of like and look at where we are today, like you just got to get over it.
Speaker 5: Well, and also like that's literally what happens in small towns.
Speaker 3: Yeah, guys living in a small town right now, Yes, that I'm here. I met a woman who lived here in the village. My office is in the village, and she was like, during the pandemic, I saw every affair in town because they would have clandestine meetings and parking lots and just hold hands with the masks on through the cars. And I was like, tell me everything, small town people just it's dosey dough man. It's like square dancing. You gotta get it where you can, and it's usually within like a four mile radius.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people are lazy.
Speaker 3: I live out of the village, by the way, so not participating.
Speaker 5: Not participating. No, we've had enough of that.
Speaker 3: I'm so happy to be old and settled at this point. Like it just is a delicious, delicious place to view everybody else's bullshit from I felt for Mia in this, but I also was like, would mea care? Because they have her as this like edgy lippy all in so many of the other episodes, and here she's so like, I'm confused about whether or not Mia dated Kevin fetterline because I saw online somewhere that he was her ex boyfriend, and I was like, what, I don't remember that? Is Mia a virgin is because we just did that storyline with Milly.
Speaker 2: I don't think we ever even talked about that.
Speaker 3: Like, Milly just did this storyline of virginity with Mouth and Rachel and like all the chicks, the Mouth has dated him.
Speaker 2: Whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, her insecurity over that, And I was like, for all the virginity storylines we're doing in season six about grown ass adults, yeahy didn't we do these storylines in season one and two with children? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Strange?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think it's dumb that Haley didn't want to sell her song.
Speaker 5: Why you think?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 3: But baby, Like, maybe you just didn't want to sell it to Nicholas Chef. If Grace Potter had walked in there, Haley would have been like, Okay, girl, me no.
Speaker 2: I think a girl living in a small town who's not like I mean, I don't know, maybe I maybe. I don't think I ever got a real grasp on how how popular Haley was. It was very vague if it was, like I just I don't really know. But man, I can tell you living in Nashville now and working with songwriters on a regular basis, Yeah, Like, I know, I know what it feels like when a label comes to you. It's happened to me a few months ago. Actually, they come and they're like, we we love like these five songs. We want to we want to sell them, like can we send them out to artists? And you have to make the decision do I want to keep them for myself and just try and do something with them later, or or do I sell them? And the amount of people that I've talked to about this and the answer is always sell them. Oh, sell them. I mean, there might be one or two that you feel really special about that you want to hold too. But you can always write more songs. There's an unending supply of creativity if you're a if you're a writer, you can just keep you just keep generating.
Speaker 3: Well then or you can go record them yourself later after they're a hit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely didn't.
Speaker 3: Casey Musgraves do a lot of that. She was writing for Miranda Lambert.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, you know she did, and now look at her.
Speaker 4: Yeah, killing it well.
Speaker 2: By the way, this song was not actually for those of you at home. This was not written obviously by Hayley, who is not a real person, nor was it written by me. Was written No, This song was written by Kara Dia Guardi and Jess Kate's wonderful songwriters, both of them long long, long list of very famous songs you can go look up.
Speaker 5: Did Nick actually wind up releasing this song? Mm hmm, okay wow released.
Speaker 2: As a single. I think that's probably one of the deals. Like we brought him in and it was it was like, what do you have coming up? Maybe they had been dealing with his PR people or something, and he was like, I got this single, we'll write it into the show extra press.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Is he on a Warner Brothers label?
Speaker 2: Don't know, it.
Speaker 5: Might have been, but yeah, it felt interesting because it sounded obviously like a well produced song like the track.
Speaker 4: In the episode Haley whipped that out.
Speaker 5: He was so fast. I was like, damn. Haley's a good produce like.
Speaker 2: Davis making a dress took an hour, But yeah, it was.
Speaker 5: It was funny to me watching it happen because I was like, oh, I sort of love that. Haley's like, oh, you want to sing my song? Prove it? Do it now?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Like no prep. I also was dying laughing. I was like, Okay, go off, Nikolache. You just already have it perfectly memorized. You don't need a music sheet. Fine, Like there's no little podium stand in that recording studio for him.
Speaker 2: Nah, we don't have time for that.
Speaker 5: Just like, prove yourself to me, sir.
Speaker 3: There was one moment where he gave Haley the ninety eight degrees boy band.
Speaker 4: Point and I screaming, how are you keeping a straight phase?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 4: I loved it.
Speaker 2: I loved that so funny.
Speaker 4: He's a good time.
Speaker 3: Does Mia end up doing a duet with him? Like?
Speaker 4: Do you end up doing a duet with him?
Speaker 3: I'm so curious about the trajectory of this Nick Lache arc.
Speaker 4: Does he come back too? Yes, Sophia was saying, he comes to my wedding with her?
Speaker 5: Well, Joy was going to get her computer charger. He's my date to Peyton and Lucas's wedding because I'm mad at Julian.
Speaker 2: We made him sit there for three days in a wedding set.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you sure did.
Speaker 2: That's amazing.
Speaker 5: We put him in like a Men's warehouse tux.
Speaker 4: He's a good sport I thought Men's wear out. I think he's a fine actor.
Speaker 3: I mean he was given sitting at that bar, really good little zingers.
Speaker 2: Very comfortable on camera.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, why doesn't Nick Lache do more acting?
Speaker 2: That's a good question.
Speaker 5: I don't know, because he's charming.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I can text Vanessa, Hi, baby, what's your husband doing right now?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 3: I really loved when they got together.
Speaker 4: That was a.
Speaker 3: TRL match made in Heaven. Love those shoes.
Speaker 5: I was very cute.
Speaker 2: But he's hosting Love is Blind.
Speaker 4: They host it together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just fun. But I gotta say he actually is. He is a good actor. I enjoyed on camera. Yeah, he has a good quality. I think I think he's understanding himself by only doing reality. I think he could get a get a job as an actor somewhere. Come on, Nick, let us know what guys.
Speaker 3: We're gonna cast Nick and something. Let's do it here we come. Okay, what else happened in this episode? I mean, it's just so much because I keep confusing twenty and twenty one now and I'm still thinking about poor Jack and sam oh oh.
Speaker 2: Kind of off of Chase and Mia, Peyton says something about when did Peyton kiss Chase?
Speaker 3: It is when we first came back and we were at a pool party and I was there to hook up.
Speaker 4: With Lucas, but he it was with Lindsay.
Speaker 3: And then Brooke was back and I don't know if she was talking to Owen yet, but Chase was like, Sup, she's back and we were just sitting there looking like losers, and he leaned in and kissed me, and I was like, bro I don't want to hook up with any more of Brook's boyfriends. And he was like, no, We're just making them jealous. And we turned around and you guys were staring at us. That was a really long explanation.
Speaker 2: Thank you, because I have no recollection of that. I don't know why that moment passed through my brain.
Speaker 3: It was kind of a blip, but it, you know, it was a big moment for me. Yeah, because Peyton being like I've kissed him. No, it was definitely twice. Sorry, I mean he's a great kisser. Being able to objectively say that someone's a great kisser, I think is something that really only happens in our industry. I don't know that.
Speaker 5: It's true.
Speaker 8: Oh we had Amy tipt in too, from Amy well, because Amy was friends with Erica, right, yeah, that's right. And Flaming Amy's was like a staple in town. It's over by the college campus and it's this.
Speaker 3: I don't even know what.
Speaker 4: It's like a bowl, what was it?
Speaker 3: Taco bowl?
Speaker 5: It's a chicken spot. It's so cool.
Speaker 2: If I ever went there. It's a cool looking little diner. Though.
Speaker 3: That's the day that Chad and I found out that the show wasn't coming back, or that, I'm sorry, I take it back, that the show was coming back just without us.
Speaker 5: Wait, the day you were shooting your Flaming Amy's flashback, Yeah, tell us everything, Well, we'd shot everything else, right Wait wait wait, so you were doing these flashbacks, these like this deep nostalgia episode, not knowing that it was teeing up the exit.
Speaker 3: So, oh boy, I was putting the blonde wig again as a punishment for having red hair right, and I noticed a conversation with like Brooke and Victoria where it was like, are you really going to leave the company and ruin the careers of all the people that you've been Such a pointed conversation for you to have to have because we were all in contract negotiations at this point except me. I had never gotten a phone call from anybody, and so they're making offers to everybody and everyone was trying to hold the line and all they needed were a couple people to sign on in order for the show to come back, and Chad and I never even got phone calls. So we were seated in that diner booth and we're like, it's our last day of filming. We did all of the present day stuff, we did most of the flashback stuff, and all of a sudden, our producer, Greg Prange is like, all.
Speaker 4: Right, everybody, like pause, what you're doing? Circle up.
Speaker 3: Just wanted to make the announcement the show is coming back. We've been picked up for a seventh season. And Chad looks at me and he's like, have you even gotten an offer? I was like no, and he's like, I haven't gotten an offer. And so around us. Everyone around us is like hugging and high fiving. I mean, it felt like balloons were dropping from the ceiling. Everybody was so fucking pumped. And he and I just kind of sat there and we knew it was coming. We had you know, Peyton got hit by a car in the last episode.
Speaker 4: She's on her death bed, you know.
Speaker 3: And he and I were the highest paid actors on the show, and we do we were on the chopping block, and so our bosses, Voldemort and other dipshits were in town, and we said, can they come to set?
Speaker 5: They were at the.
Speaker 3: Production office and we were at Flaming Amy's, Like, can they come to set? It's only it's two o'clock in the afternoon. Can they come here and just like explain to us what's going on? Is there something? Can so and just talk to us?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: They refused.
Speaker 3: They would not come speak to us, and instead they took other actors out to dinner that night to celebrate. And so Chad and I wrap work and I got to take that fucking wig off, and you know, there's a sense of betrayal because you're like, huh, okay, cool, we didn't hold the line, and so we'll go be the expendable ones, fuck it. And Chad and I decide for the first time ever in our time together in Wilmington, that we are gonna go out together and we're gonna tie one on. And so Chad and I ended up at the Whiskey, which was like a bar right on the corner of downtown, you know, and like metal bands played there, and Bibbiss, our friend, would play there all the time until two o'clock in the morning. He and I are just like sweating and smoking and drinking and dancing, and Chad's a very good dancer, and every college chick in the place is like, oh my god, Lucas and Peyton and they're really together and this is so crazy.
Speaker 4: And it was insane.
Speaker 3: And so then from two to three o'clock in the morning we sat on on like a retaining wall downtown and just really discussed, like we're out. We've had this shit dangled over our heads. There's no one here who's fighting for us.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: The friendships are fake, it's not real. And we're gonna go and we're just gonna do some other stuff and we'll always tell each other the truth, you know, And so he walked me home, and I remember that also being kind of weird. It felt like a date. It's the one date that I went on and it was very platonic. And then I called him a cab and even the cab driver was like, I'm picking up Lucas Scott from Peyton Sore's house.
Speaker 2: Like that's cuzy.
Speaker 3: But from that moment on, for the whole rest of this season, it was it was hell. It was really bad. It was really bad because it was it was so pointed. You know, I'd been the person to do every upfront, every TCA, every advertiser dinner party. I hosted the launch party for the CW when it you know, when you began. I had been the company girl and it was the biggest you.
Speaker 2: And there were two episodes left at this point, right, what is this twenty one?
Speaker 5: I think? I think we do twenty four this season?
Speaker 2: Oh we did twenty four, okay, I think?
Speaker 4: So yeah, yeah, And so it just it puts in your head.
Speaker 3: You just look at everyone around you and you're like, I don't know what relationships are real, and I don't know which ones are performative, and who's used me and who actually loves me? And so that was that was hard. It was really hard. But Chad and I had this magic night. We still laugh about it.
Speaker 4: I mean it was.
Speaker 3: It was probably the hardest I ever partied in Wilmington. And he didn't really drink, so I remember.
Speaker 5: Being shocked, shocked.
Speaker 3: He was drinking his like vodka cranberries. We were both just so blindsided by it, like we knew it was coming, but until it happens.
Speaker 2: That is wild. Hearing that all these years later, Like I had no idea, it's all that's wild.
Speaker 5: And I think, what's so surreal? And to your point, And we talked about this a little bit last week, that speech that like, oh, are you really going to risk this for everyone? Yeah, the same thing we got when we asked for help with our boss. People were like, to ruin it. You're going to ruin it for everybody, Like, oh, you guys can't figure out how to navigate like a guy hitting on you. Oh the horror, like grow up. All these people who have children will lose their jobs if you ruin it. And you know, we had that on our set. I had on my fucking neck set, like we there was so much that was constantly told to us and the thing that like is giving me the visceral feeling that you're talking about is realizing like, oh, these relationships aren't real, because I remember how hard all those people, Voldemort and his little sidekick and all the people in power on our show would say to us, this is a family, this is a family. You have to protect your family, you have to show up for your family. You know, all these all these people on our crew have families, and they're a part of our family. Like they hit you so hard with like, you know, families deal with shit, and so do we hear. And then you realize like, oh, you want me to prioritize y'all like my family. But you you don't even think of me as a coworker. You think of me as like a line item on a budget.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 5: Oh and it's such an uneven scale. And what was so surreal And you know, we've obviously talked about this a lot, and I want to be careful, but like, the thing that was so wild was, you know, in relation particularly to you and Chad, like at least for me being told like, well, you're the expendable one. We added you last, we could get rid of you first. So shame, you know. They put everybody in these positions where we were like, Oh, they're going to be okay, but I'm going to go, oh, they're gonna and I don't know. It's it's like a really dark thing to do to a bunch of twenty four year olds.
Speaker 3: I'm every as this the season's winding down. I think this is the closure that I needed, because I always knew like that I was I was right to walk away from this situation because it was awful and my life is awesome because of that betrayal. I met my husband, I had my kids, I got to do White Collar with Willie Garson and that book, Like, my life is so much better because I was betrayed here. And and that's the thing that maybe I want anybody that listens to this to.
Speaker 4: Walk away with.
Speaker 3: It's like the betrayal just opened the door for all the awesome shit that I have now, And the people who pushed me aside to leverage themselves had to stay there and live in it and so.
Speaker 4: That and live with you for doing that. Well, if they're.
Speaker 3: Even aware that they did, they're aware, you know. But that was kind of the fun of watching this episode today. For me is that I didn't take notes because I knew that it was a shit episode for me personally, and I was like, I'm just going to enjoy it as a viewer, and I did. Like I loved it as a viewer. I liked who our characters are as people. I think too. They're fun to watch and you know, they play well nicely, And I get why people love it. People who don't know the backstory super easy to love well.
Speaker 5: Because everything you see on screen is is good and you know it's It's such an example of that adage like be kind because you just you never know what battles people are fighting, Like we made a great product despite the ways we were being manipulated and mistreated, and at the end of the day, like, I don't know, man, I'm proud of the product. Yeah, And I know we've had to say this to the fans, like we don't we don't want you to love the show less because of what was happening behind the scenes. In a way, it taught us a lot. I mean, Hill, what you went through, Like I remember when I because it wasn't when this was all happening, Like I remember when I finally got told that you weren't coming back, and it was like that's not possible, like I don't I don't understand.
Speaker 2: Are they going to do the show without them?
Speaker 5: And and the conversations we had, like that's something we had a good time, like we talk about carrying on the tradition of tying one on. We were like, let's just sit here and open all these beers and talk about it. And like, my god, when when I got the inside baseball from you, like the pride, I mean, like and we've talked about this too, like I will always defend you to the death, like I know exactly who you are in the way that I know you know exactly who I am, And I think you know if I may for me. Years later, when I was going through what I was going through in Chicago, I was like, oh, I can just leave.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can just leave.
Speaker 5: Like I've good soldiered, I've pretzeled myself. I've done everything I'm supposed to do. I've gone by the book, I've gone by the personal relationships, I've done the reporting. I've done it all. And I was like, if it's not going to matter, I'm gonna leave. I learned that from one of my best friends.
Speaker 4: I'm just gonna leave y'all don't have to deal with that.
Speaker 5: It's like, it's really so empowering though, And I think to your point, like when you talk about what came after, you know where it shifted you, the friendships, it gave you, the marriage, it led you to like your whole life. It it was a lesson then that you learned. It was a lesson that I courageously. I felt like I had the courage to learn on my own because of our friendship. Like rejection sometimes is such protection. Yeah, and you know, even like holy hell, like have I learned that in the last year, And oh, I will take it all day. Because when you when you can finally stand and say I'm going to trust my instincts here, and then you get all all the receipts and you're like, look at me, I made a good decision.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the veil drops, but it changes your life in a way, like everything shifts.
Speaker 5: I think when you finally say okay, if this is not for me, siya, what comes the minute you put your hands up is so profound And I don't know it. It's really wild to see how how much like romantic happiness and fun you guys were having on screen and knowing what was happening off screen, But like, I don't know, I love this place for you. I don't love the wound, but I love what the wound gave you.
Speaker 2: Well, that's how you could have That's how we can still appreciate what we see on camera and the stories and we're told is knowing that that there's no perfect product, there's no perfect relationship, there's no perfect anything. It's always going to be a bit and the things that the hard things that we go through make us who we are. Being able to walk away from something that takes you a really long time to realize that it's unhealthy is incredibly powerful, and I've had to do that in my own in my own ways. It wasn't with the show in particular, because I didn't deal with a lot of the same stuff that you guys did in that dynamic. I mean I did, I think on the peripheral, But yeah, it made it does kind of knowing the sweetness of all the good things that have come makes me happy watching watching this episode, watching things.
Speaker 3: That there's nothing better than a girl that has just hit the point of like fuck this right, Like because then everything.
Speaker 4: After that is fun.
Speaker 3: Like I had fun because I knew I was out. I've rented my apartment in Paris that I never went to because I met Jeffrey.
Speaker 4: You know, like, shit just got fun. I'm looking forward.
Speaker 3: To future fun in these episodes because we gave zero fox at this point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, these stopped trying to hold on and make anybody else happy. You're like, you know what, I'm gonna go do what's best for her.
Speaker 5: Well, you know what, like a girl who's run out of fox to give becomes dangerous, And it's really fun when you realize, like, oh oh, I'm dangerous now, Okay.
Speaker 3: When you established the reputation as being the one that'll tell the truth, that's a powerful place to be. So we've have a question though. We have a question from Natalie. She says, if you had to pick another location for Oth to be filmed or based in, where would it be? I felt so spoiled in Wilmington. It still is the prettiest place we've I've ever worked, and I've worked all over the place.
Speaker 2: I loved it.
Speaker 5: I Yeah, gosh, I can't imagine it being filmed anywhere else, but good god, do I wish it was filmed somewhere with a direct flight.
Speaker 4: Say, they still don't have one.
Speaker 5: We still don't have one. How do we not have like a Wilmington to Burbank? Like what are we doing? Yeah, why don't we have one?
Speaker 3: La Because there's not a runway long enough to land a big cross country plane there. That's why, I mean, or they can only it's only like that little New York puddle jumper, you know. That's that's the joke in the episode that n is that he's like I rode in the middle.
Speaker 5: Yeah, a seat and coach.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: There was a town when I was in high school. My best friend in high school's family had a lake house. It's a place called Green Pond, and it's just this gorgeous little lake community in New Jersey, which is so beautiful that I mean the fully it's the Garden State, you know, I mean, the foliage is unbelievable, and it's a really kids fishing on the dock, ice cream in the summer, golf carts roaming around. Everybody's just it's a free for all, like you just let your kids go and come back at dinner, like like it was the eighties and it still is like that. I went back a couple of years ago and it's still like that, And it's the closest thing I could think of to what Tree Hill would have felt like. So that's gonna be my vote.
Speaker 3: I when I saw Megan Parks movie, my old ass at Sundance, this location, I'm trying to where, where the hell is it? This location in Canada, Musco Lakes, you guys, Yeah, such tree Hill vibes. It was like Cranberry bogs, but the water was like so beautiful and everything was green and kind of like they had a little small town and falling in love on the docks and just loved it.
Speaker 5: No, it's so beatiful. A lot of the folks who worked on the Good Sam crew, like a lot of our local Toronto crew, had had grown up with like little lake houses up in Muskoka. It's so gorgeous.
Speaker 4: She's trying to lure me up there, like.
Speaker 5: Let's go, let's go visit.
Speaker 7: Okay, Nate, what was our honorable MENTIONSH?
Speaker 4: I like school dances. I like school Dance.
Speaker 5: I loved that.
Speaker 2: I was happy to see bj Britt back too. I really like him. I really like him on camera. I wish we would have kept him for longer. Who places hiv on.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also, I think Nathan should have taken the European offer.
Speaker 4: I can't believe Haley didn't want to go to Europe, Like, on what planet?
Speaker 2: It's two years, It's like, yeah, babe, let's go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, cool, be there, I can write it home in Europe. Fine. She just wanted to pull Jamie out of school in the last episode, you know.
Speaker 4: Like they've only got one just go.
Speaker 3: Nobody thought this through.
Speaker 4: No, well, but was that.
Speaker 5: Thinking about how things were going, Like, was that part of the threat for you guys, Joy? Was it like, oh well if you don't, if you guys don't do this, we'll just say Nathan takes this deal. Yeah, be like bye.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean it was all the and it's the same negotiating tactics that they used to do, and maybe I'm sure plenty of people still do it of telling everybody that everyone else is already signed on, is already negotiated. Oh well, I know you guys are trying to do Favorite Nations, but you know so and so already agreed to sign their contract, and so it's and then you know, we're calling agents and the agents are going, no, we haven't heard anything from them, but they told us that you blah blah blah, and it becomes such a huge mess. I just yeah, I remember that. That was definitely one of the storylines that was like, oh, we're just getting ready to tie this up if we need to, so don't. I don't know. I don't remember anything past that. I just know that it was definitely a threat of like, this show goes on without Haley, easy, go ahead.
Speaker 5: Well yeah, yeah, I always love that we can do this without you. You're like, Okay, have.
Speaker 4: Fun, have fun.
Speaker 2: Colin Bluff's but b J Britt gets my honorable mention or the comment I love seeing the comic get worked on too. That's another honorable mention.
Speaker 4: We got a wheel today.
Speaker 5: We have now, Oh who is most likely to laugh in a serious moment? Hillary?
Speaker 4: Not It is me.
Speaker 3: It is me.
Speaker 4: I have no defense against that. It's me. I'll yeah.
Speaker 3: I like feelings.
Speaker 4: Oh god, they're so hard feelings.
Speaker 3: It's really hard parenting very emotional children because I want to crack a joke when George is feeling big feelings.
Speaker 4: And I can't.
Speaker 3: I can't, and I have to like get down on my knees and be like, tell me everything about your feelings, not crack. That's that's all the acting I do now, and it is all my energy. But who on our show is like the crack up? It's Haley on the show. Hailey's always like didn't you have a nervous laughter thing?
Speaker 4: In an episode?
Speaker 2: Hailey is always kind of like trying to make things better by making them worse.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's like we got married.
Speaker 3: It's a Haley trick.
Speaker 2: I see that.
Speaker 5: I think so, yeah, I would say Haley or like Antoine likes to make a joke in an inappropriate moment, it does? You know? Skills is always in with a one liner.
Speaker 3: How about the teacher in this episode like I need some breakup sex or.
Speaker 4: Something like that. When I was like, girl, well, I was like what the hell?
Speaker 5: And then she was like kidding kidding.
Speaker 6: I was like.
Speaker 4: Okay, but she was putting out a vine ye not kidding.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I loved it, all right, what do we have next episode?
Speaker 5: We got a season six episode twenty two, show me How to Live. That sounds like it's going to be dramatic.
Speaker 4: Sure, well, can't wait.
Speaker 5: Well done, everybody, Thanks for joining Hillary, you get my honorable mention for literally running out of Fox. It's my favorite version of you.
Speaker 4: Let's see what happens. I don't know that I ever got them back. Did I ever regain the I.
Speaker 5: Sure hope not.
Speaker 4: I don't think so. Guys, they broke me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, have a great week.
Speaker 5: See you next week.
Speaker 2: Hey, thanks for listening.
Speaker 5: Don't forget to leave us a review. You can also follow us on Instagram at Drama Queens O t H.
Speaker 3: Or email us at Drama Queens at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 4: See you next time. We all about that high.
Speaker 5: School drama Girl Drama Girl, all about.
Speaker 2: Them high school queens.
Speaker 1: We'll take you for a ride at our comic Girl Cheering for the right teams.
Speaker 5: Drama Queenslease my girl, up girl fashion with your tough girl
Speaker 1: You could sit with us Girl Drama Queens, Drama Queens, Drama Queens, Drama Drama Queens, Drama Queens