Speaker 1: You are listening to the Miami Dolphins Podcast Network.
Speaker 2: This is Drive Time with Travis Wingfield. Back to throw to a looking whips about a wide Dolphin touchdown? Tyrequel uncrelievable, just blue fire for a second time. Don't know where he was going right away?
Speaker 3: Want to hit that though, Man, I'm gonna help you.
Speaker 4: Someone stump on your man wagon Wattle Wattle to a shot Gutch back to throw looking at them's.
Speaker 2: Up fires touchdown. It's Waddle his six touchdown pass. This thing. Drive Time with Travis Wingfield begins.
Speaker 1: Now let me check your pulse if enough for.
Speaker 2: What is up? Dolphins?
Speaker 4: And welcome to the Drive Time podcast, part of the Miami Dolphins podcast Network, covering your team, your Miami Dolphins. How's it going everybody? I am your host, Travis Wingfield. And on today's show, we welcome in a member of the Carolada Panthers beat Mike Kay from the Charlotte Observer joins us to break down this matchup on Sunday. Plus we'll hear from the assistant coaches. We'll also pick the week six games. Man, it goes by faster every single year. From the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex.
Speaker 2: This is the Draft Time Podcast. Maye Geffe.
Speaker 4: Really quickly want to apologize for the audio on yesterday show. I'm quite sick about it. I did one thousand tests on the sure mic with the Zoom recorder and found out only after the fact because I didn't test with earbuds in. I listened back to it on my desktop, on my laptop, on my phone. All sounded good, but apparently stereo mode comes in one ear and not the other, and you have to plug in multiple mics to accomplish that with the Zoom recorder.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I thought it sounded great, but obviously it did not, so I apologize for that. Let's go ahead and get to my guest today. Mike k from the Charlotte Observer, joining us now on the Draft Time podcast. Is a member of the Charlotte Observer, a beat writer for the Carolina Panthers. He's my kay and according to his Twitter bio, he's fond of fullbacks and the Foo Fighters and Mike, I start that way to tell you that I hope you one day get a chance to meet alec Ingold, because he's one of the best human beings on this entire planet. And also I have to ask you what is the greatest song all time by the Food.
Speaker 1: Well, I should tell you that I have talked to Alec a couple of times, but back when I covered the entire league before I got this job, I did a whole takeout on Fullbacks and he was one of the lead voices. So it's cool to watch him do what he does in Miami. Everybody. The classic answer for your second question is ever long. But to me, The Pretender holds a very important spot in my life because the song came out my freshman year of college. I got to see them for the first time in person in college right as they were touring with the Echo Silence Patients and Grace tour pretty special, So that song's always been very important to me.
Speaker 4: That was also my pick, But for the same reason you listed The Pretender. My hero just instantly transports me back to my high school days, like John mock Style from Varsity Blues.
Speaker 2: So I mean that band.
Speaker 4: Man, I don't know how many old heads we have as we I think now are officially Mike on the podcast here, but the Foo Fighters, man, that's the classic band right there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, amen, And you know you're Washington State. I know you're a big Washington State guy. I made sure to go out to the sub Pop Museum when I was out there when the Panthers played the Seahawks last year because Subpop put out the first Nirvana album, which doesn't feature Dave Grohld, but just kind of a cool interconnecting thing.
Speaker 2: That's awesome, man, that's good to hear. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Seeah, that was a fun time in the Pacific Northwest. Obviously holds holds tight to my heart, near and dear. There so really good stuff. Let's go ahead and break right into this Dolphins and Panthers matchup coming up on Sunday here at hard Rock Stadium, and Mike you probably can assume this. I always start these interviews with the opposing beat writers at the quarterback position, and I want to start just with your general assessment of Bryce Young, his growth five year or five games, I should say, into the NFL career, what have you seen so far from the rookie number one overall pick Well.
Speaker 1: I think he has shown his elusiveness for the most part in the pocket. I think that's been the most impressive thing about him. When we talk about Bryce Young. We talk about his processing ability. I think he's doing that well, but it's hard to process and then be efficient when guys aren't really getting open. We really if you watch tape, Adam Fieln's the only guy that's consistently getting open. He plays mostly out of the slot. They're working with rookie Jonathan Mingo on the outside. He missed one game with a concussion, but he's been extremely inconsistent. DJ Sharks dealt with his own injury stuff and been pretty inconsistent. The running game is absolutely just a letdown. Miles Sanders is gotten off to a good start. He's also now dealing with a shoulder injury. But what I think is impressive about Bryce Young is that while he is not taking shots down field, he's performing better than I think he did on college shape in the short to intermediate game from an accuracy standpoint. Like to me, when he was a prospect, his ability to make off schedule throws downfield was his like superpower. Here they've got him kind of refining the short to intermediate route and he's not really taking the shots that you'd liked him to see, But I think he has improved that area of his game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that can be an area that's tough to kind of translate over right away because of just the speed of the game and how fast things happen, and obviously trying to get an offense, you know, down pat early on. Like, I think that a few rookie quarterbacks over the last couple of decades have kind of, I don't want to say, spoiled our minds in terms of how these guys progress and learn and grow. But it's supposed to be a process. Like rookie quarterbacks are not supposed to perform at a high level. When they do, it's it's always very surprising. And I saw Mike that there's you know, one of the stories around the Panthers this week is the simplification of the offense, or at least in the way they communicate the calls into the huddle.
Speaker 2: Can you give us an update on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So a couple of weeks ago they started using basically a cheat sheet if you want to call it for a risk band. So like this is just an example.
Speaker 2: I'm you know, let's.
Speaker 1: Say they have like a a dagger concept and that's that's number thirty one. Frank Wright can say, run play thirty one or run play blue or whatever they call it, as opposed to him delegating you know, every single motion and route for each receiver and the blocking scheme, right, so you're simplifying the amount of information given to you so you can just kind of paint by numbers each play. And I think that that's actually a relatively mature approach to limiting mistakes, limiting communication issues, limiting pre snap penalties, which have been an absolute killer for this team. And I think that you know, you want to avoid delay a game as much as you can, and the Panthers have really struggled with operational football, and I think limiting the amount of language is really.
Speaker 2: Good for them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, something the Dolphins kind of went through last year in McDaniel's first year here calling plays the pre snap operation. They were one of the most penalized pre snap teams. This year, they've cleaned up a big time and I see the Panthers are currently number one in the league in terms of pre snap infractions. And like I said, like these are things that you have to just kind of, you know, grow with and learn with the rookie quarterback, especially when they're so talented like Bryce Young, is And you know another thing that sometimes these teams that are kind of in rebuild modes have to accept is trying to you know, find pieces along the way. And for Bryce, like he's been under a lot of pressure this year so far, I just wanted to get your assessment of the offensive line we expect to see in terms of the personnel on Sundays. I know there's some injuries up front. What have you made so far this offensive line of the Carolina Panthers.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's been extremely disappointing to last year, but it's a completely different offense. They're playing a lot more zone blocking concepts they are not. This is what's interesting is is there's a lot of power personnel. If you were just looking at them camp like on tape, on previous work, on their measurements, all that stuff. Bradley Boseman had an incredible run the second half of last season because they ran the ball so effectively. Austin Corbett, who's on pup and probably isn't returning until after the bye, was the best player on offense last year. He's been gone for five games, he'll probably miss this sixth one. And then you've had a rookie guard Chandler Zavala moving from right guard to left guard, playing well at right guard in week one, but struggling mightily over the last few weeks. He also suffered a neck injury. I don't expect him to play. Chances are it'll either be Kade May's, last year's sixth round pick, or Justin McCrae, a journeyman backup guard slash center who's on the practice squad IKEI Kwani was kind of taking a step back from pass protection standpoint. He's the former first round pick. I think he'll be fine long term. It's just been a problem. Taylor Mowten's probably their most consistent offensive line men right now at right tackle, but he even had his struggles last week against Detroit.
Speaker 2: Just real quick, Mike, is Zavala gonna be He's okay?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 2: Like I saw. The injury was pretty serious when it happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we didn't see him on the practice field on Wednesday, But every indication we've gotten is that he is okay from a from a at least, you know, from the worst scenario, you know, I mean, listen, with a neck injury. He hasn't practiced, We haven't seen him, so it's kind of hard to get like that update. But he was moving all of his extremities. He flew home with the team from Detroit like they were able to avoid like disaster there. But we don't really have an like an actual update on them.
Speaker 4: I don't know if it's like getting older, being a parent, or being around the guys so much as I am now, but like seeing those injuries like every single year, it's harder on me to witness that. And I was just a scary scene there. You never want to see that. So glad to hear he's doing better. Let's go ahead and flip over the defensive side of the football now. My guest today Mike k from the Charlotte Observer, a Carolina Panthers beat rider, and on the defensive side, My first question is what happened in the run game department on the defensive side against the Lions, because all the lines kind of went off in that game and had a big offensive output, but mostly on the ground. What happened to the Panthers' run defense last week?
Speaker 1: I mean, and the same thing that's kind of happened every week. This team is giving up huge yardage on the ground, they give up nearly five yards per carry, and while they have the second best red zone or sorry, third down defense in the league, teams are like avoiding the money down because they're picking up huge chunks of yardage on first and second down on the ground. Of their twenty one explosive runs runs of ten yards or more, twenty of them have come on either first or second down, which really plays into the Dolphins strength. And Reike noted yesterday when I asked him about it, and he said, look, the Dolphins have the fewest third down opportunities in the league because they're doing so well on first and second down. And the issue for the Panthers defense if you watch the Lions game, is they're just struggling to tackle and get to their spots and it is becoming a chronic problem for this team, something that they're gonna have to really fix because frankly, the Dolphins are very good on the ground, but they also have dates against Jonathan Taylor after the bye, Derrick Henry, those type of players, and it's just like they're not able to get the ball back for the offense because the opposing offense is just running over them.
Speaker 4: It's I mean it's it's funny how much it's the league has become such a passing league, but at the same time, I feel like there's a little bit of a zig where other teams are zagging in terms of success in the running game. The Dolphins have certainly found that good mix and balance of both, and of course, without Devon a Chan this.
Speaker 2: Week, that'll be a little more difficult.
Speaker 4: But Raheem Moster is currently rolling Savon akh medback in Rolling two, and then Chris Brooks and Jeff Wilson just had his twenty one day window opened as well. So the Dolphins running back room is pretty deep right now, despite the fact that the sensational rookie is going to be down.
Speaker 2: And I wanted to.
Speaker 4: Ask you a couple more questions here, Mike, about the Panthers defense and mainly the system, because I know zero Everro's name was a hot candidate for a lot of DC jobs across the National Football League. Just kind of wanted to get your bird's eye view of how that system is taking hold and the fingerprints that he's put on this Carolina defense.
Speaker 1: Well, he likes using shells. He's a zone coverage kind of guy, and they frankly, they needed to be a zone heavy team with the injuries they've in the secondary EI there without J. C. Horn, who's on IR, Xavier Woods is probably gonna miss this game with the hamstring injury of his own. Dante Jackson's back at practice, but he missed the game against the Lions.
Speaker 2: CJ.
Speaker 1: Henderson is wildly inconsistent. They had a rookie starting last week, Deshaun Jamison, who was underrafted out of Texas and was claimed off waivers following the final cuts. Like the second, the cornerback group is not particularly solid right now, and so you know, playing more zone coverage has allowed them to kind of make up for some lack of talent. I think Von Bell, after a really rough week one, has played extremely well. Sam Franklin, who's kind of known as a special teams days, It's done kind of a nice job taking over for Zavier Woods. I think for them, they've done a really good job of mitigating the big play downfield from a passing standpoint, and it's forcing teams to rethink the way they attack this team, because if you're only picking up six point seven yards per pass and you're picking up five yards per run and you don't have to risk your quarterback getting hit. Plus you know that the Panthers aren't putting up a lot of points. What call are you gonna make. You're gonna probably hand the ball off, right, And so the Panthers are getting run off. Like the run to pass ratio against the Panthers is the heaviest run versus an opponent in the league. They're getting run on forty eight point whatever percent of the time, while fifty one percent is going towards the pass because they're seeing this disadvantage, and so you could say some of that factors into the low passing yards. They're only allowing one hundred and eighty five passing yards per game. But I think they've actually done a really nice job mitigating what's going on on the back end.
Speaker 4: That makes it really interesting because for this Dolphins team, and you know, fans will tell you lastly, they want run the ball more, and they have run the ball a little bit more this year, but really it's just about the efficiency and having a game script that allows them to Because as much as I love seeing the Dolphins pile up three hundred and fifty yards on the ground and like they did a couple weeks so against Denver, like I also don't want to take the ball out of Tyreek Hill and Gillen Wattle's hands. So it's an interesting dynamic there in terms of how you attack a defense with this Dolphins weaponry they have on what has been, you know, a historic offense for the first five games. A couple of names here real quick, and then I'll ask you the Panthers can win this game if questioned, Mike is you mentioned it off the top of that last answer with Von Bell? Gosh, I've always loved his game so so much. There's a few guys on this defense so I think are really damn good football players. Just want to get your take so far on how Brian Burns, how Derek Brown, and how Von Bell have performed. And also my guy you mentioned this off the top as well, Frankie Luvu go kooks.
Speaker 1: So let's start with Burns. Burns got off to an impressive start against Atlanta. He had two sacks and of course fumble. He's kind of ebbed and flowed since then. He got a sacked in this last game. I think he's played well as an outside linebacker. I think it fits him more this is more of a hybrid front, and I think it's served Derek Brown very very well. I think him rushing from that four I five technique position has really brought out his pass rushing motor. Frankie Lubu has done an incredible job as a blitzer. I think he is so unique and that he is not a natural pass rusher, but he's such a good blitzer from the inside, he's playing inside linebacker. They're moving him kind of around a little bit, but for the most part, he's attacking from the inside, you know, double a gap sort of stuff. If he can get there.
Speaker 2: They're trying to be creative with him.
Speaker 1: And then I think from from the standpoint of von Bell, I think he's an expert communicator. He's not really a ballhawk, but I think he's like the one guy who's kind of had to take on the role of being a communicator. With Check Thompson being out, he's made up for some injuries on the back end.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's Shack.
Speaker 4: Thompson is also a guy that I've always had had a of a soft spot for. I mean, I'm Washington State Cougar, but I will give a husky some pop props and.
Speaker 2: They're a good football player there, Mike.
Speaker 4: The Panthers will win this game if and then you can fill in the blank however you see fit.
Speaker 1: If they can stop the run, I mean, like, if they can really limit the run, I think they have a shot, but I don't think it's a good shot. And I just like this Dolphins team is just a juggernaut. I don't know if the Panthers can put up enough points to even like come up with like a reasonable expectation for this game, because like the Dolphins defense isn't poor either. I mean there's there's players everywhere on that on that on that group, and I think, you know, it's not just the offense. I know the offense gets all the buzz, but I just like struggle to see how guys are gonna get open regularly. Hayden Hurst has been a disappointment, Miles Sanders has struggled with injuries, Jonathan Mingo is still kind of learning. Terrace Marshall didn't even see the field last week. Is a healthy guy in a jersey. It's just it's tough, and Bryce Young is really taking his lumps as a rookie. And I don't know if this is the team to get off the winless you know streak.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean we've been waiting a long time to hear someone talk about us like that, so it's, uh, it's just it's nice to hear Mike. But at the same time, you know, they play the games on Sunday for a reason, so we'll see Panthers and Dolphins out there.
Speaker 2: You're gonna be in town, Mike, I'm not.
Speaker 1: We just had our kid about a week and a half ago, or second son a week and a half ago, so I will not be down there, which is a bummer because I went to high school in Coral Springs and so it's a bummer my. You know, my parents are up here and then they're gonna go back to Boca. So yeah, it's a bummer because everybody's down like a lot of families down there. But I'm sure it'll be a great game.
Speaker 4: Well, hey man, congrats on the new the newborn, and try gets sleep when you can and tell the folks where they can find your work out my friend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can follow me on Twitter at Mike underscore e underscore. Ka Ye. It's the worst Twitter Twitter handle in the history, but it's mine and I love it. You can also read my work on the Charlotte Observer dot com. Also make sure to check out my partner Alex Zitlow on Twitter as well. It's a ZiT Low, I believe five. And then Scott Feller or columnist who's phenomenal, so uh, Scott will be down there. He'll be covering the game from the Panthers perspective, so make sure you give him a follow up.
Speaker 4: You could have been really creative like me and gone last name NFL. So good on you for not doing that seven years ago and being stuck with it forever. So Mike, appreciate your time today. Man, Like I said, get some rest and we'll talk to you soon. Thanks, and away he goes really fun in of your there, getting know the Carolina Panthers a little bit more in depth. And uh yeah again, so the audio yesterday, I'm not feeling so great today, so it's kind of a rough week for your boy. Hopefully the podcast still comes across in a good way. I have some fun stuff coming up as well. We're gonna have Daniel Oyafusi in the podcast tomorrow. I have some really fun locker room audio. I had a good chat with the Shaun Elliott. That'll be out on tomorrow's podcast as well, So we're soldoing on game on Sunday. I should be better by then, but in the meantime, lets go ahead and take our first break right here. Come back on the other side, and here from the assistant coaches. That's Next Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Autnation. Thursday, we heard from Dolphin's assistant coaches. I'm gonna play you a few soundbites from Frank Smith, Vic Fangio, and John Embry, and we start here with Dolphins OC Frank Smith, who I essentially don't really have anything for you guys regarding the upcoming game on Sunday, but we got like an education from this coach with regards to teaching principles, the impact of motion and shifting and intent of offense and creating reactions. So I'm just gonna go down the list here and play a few of these soundbites for you because on this podcast, my overall goal is to make you a smarter Dolphins fan, a smarter football fan, and Coach Smith is one of the best in the business at doing that and communicating that. So I'm gonna go ahead and let him talk here. First, I wanted to run this audio from a question that was posed to him about the timing element of all of the action on some of those reverses where you get pre snap motion a running back or rather a wide receiver going to the backfield and then motioning out and taking a hand off inside and flipping the ball back around the other side. How do you fine tune and cue up all those things to be a sweet symphony.
Speaker 2: Here's coach teach the defense.
Speaker 5: So we understand reactions, what we anticipate, show it to him, and show it to him on paper. Show the clip of the reaction you think you're gonna get walk through at one time, run in practice, and then go into a game, and then follow your rules and adjust if it's not what we thought it was going to be. So it's kind of again process driven. So you have that concept that we've run out of different variants, and then now you put in that grouping and you know, if they understand the defense and they understand the play's intent, they can handle the variation. And was it a variation that we didn't inspect? So how do we move and how do we operate. I mean, that's kind of it starts with back in spring when we teach how do we move in stat points, who's move and when why. I mean, if you were to put that play in by itself in the season, I think it would be a lot harder as opposed to that's part of our process, of our whole system of why we move to move, It's because we're moving for reactions to defense and what we anticipate.
Speaker 4: Let's go ahead and follow up there with coach and the teaching process of knowing how to impact the defense and how you install an offense that has that level of I suppose intricacy to it. Let's go back to coach once more.
Speaker 5: Circually, if you don't know your job, you can't look past and learn. You have to get to a point at which I know what I'm doing. Okay, now I know what I'm doing my intent. Now I can see what my defender's trying to do. It's always hard, and the hardest time is when you're coming together in year one and you're trying to learn your system and you're trying to learn or what I'm trying to do the intent and purpose of this play and the technique you're asking me to do the evolution, and that's where it's constant teaching, because when you can start to understand the defense and what they're trying to accomplish where they're vulnerable, that's where now the player can play with reaction because he's he's not thinking about it, He's reacting to what he's seeing because his anticipation level is heightened because I know what I'm trying to do. Now. My vision is focused on these maybe two or three variables that I'm expecting and that I think ultimately is what you're allowed to do, especially in this second year of the system, is now guys have a greater understanding of what we're doing and they're really diving into the intent of the defense and how they fit and you know, in the concept to attack whether it's run or pass.
Speaker 4: And we finish up here with a question I had for coach about a potential correlation between being aggressive offensively and turning the football over. Is there a correlation and if there is, how do you calibrate those two things together.
Speaker 5: I don't know if it's really they follow with each other. I think it's more of just why do things occur and it's easy to say, you know, my knee hurt, okay, why, Okay, we'll throw some ice on it and then maybe you feel better. Okay, well I act my knee hurts still. Okay, Well maybe you need to look at it some more and you see, okay, well you need surgery to fix it. So ultimately, when you're looking at things, you got to look at why and not just kind of gloss over things, because it's easy to look at something and go, hey, it's this, Well, what was the root of it? I mean, was it Ultimately, when you have a turnover? Was it poor fundamental? Was it a game plan specific play to the week that maybe that our understanding wasn't as good? Was it playing outside of the progression. There's many variables to go into it. And that's ultimately what we're looking at is making sure how do we ensure turnovers are minimizing turnovers. And it all starts with fundamentals in the ten and that's always what we go back to, and it always seems so simple because you know, I know around here you guys hear us talk a lot about our process and our fundamentals and technique. But I mean, ultimately that is offensive football. It's our execution of these simple things collectively to make something come to life. Because if ten are doing the right thing and one's not, one player should say then it's that's where you can get off. So ultimately, that's where, like you know, as a quarterback's playing, he's counting on everyone. Guy's blocking, guys running routes, timing distributions. So you know, I don't think it's ever something as hey, we're aggressive, so this happens, it's more of okay, why did that happen here? And then you get to the bottom of it together.
Speaker 4: Moving on to Dolphins tight ends coach John Embry, and I feel like this should be music to every single person on this podcast ears unless you are a rival listening in, in which case welcome Buffalo, New York and New England. But coach Embrey talked about Chase Claypool and working with him as a tight end, which, again, what are we doing?
Speaker 2: The guy's a receiver.
Speaker 4: But either way, the conversation shifts towards positionless football, and there was a really cool development across this press conference about how the Dolphins have this approach that maybe isn't that common in the national Football league. We're different coaches coach different players regardless of what room they exist in.
Speaker 2: Let's go to coach Embrey for that.
Speaker 3: You know, it's really unique what Mike's been able to get done in the last couple of years. As you notice, as he continues to build this, we're gonna have a lot of players that really are positionless when you think it, whether Chase is with me or doing stuff, whether they're Alec you know, I do stuff with him. Uh, some of my guys to do stuff with uh Eric uh s Studentsville West will work with my guys on certain things. So it's, uh, it's a really unique thing that we have gone here. A lot of selfless players and coaches don't care who's coaching who. We're just trying to get our guys to uh go out and execute place. And I think that's what makes our offense so dangerous is that Tyreek Hill could be pen blocking, then he's fifty yards down the field on the route. Same with uh our running backs. Sometimes they're blocking, sometimes they're running it. You know, it's just all over the place with it. So that gives us a lot of uh flexibility within our offense. So I'm sure at some point Clay uh Chase and I will be uh doing something together. Uh. I haven't even met him yet. I mean, I've seen him on the field, but haven't really introduced myself to him yet. But uh so I'm just excited cause that's just another chess piece for uh McDaniel to use and uh give us a new advantage.
Speaker 4: Let's go ahead and just play one more of these here, because coach was great and I could play ten of these soundbites, but that's not a very fun podcast.
Speaker 2: I don't think.
Speaker 4: Let's go ahead and play one more fallow up on how they execute that and what that might look like in training camp, practice during the season, all of the above.
Speaker 3: No, it hasn't always been like that, but I think what it is is when you find guys that love football, you know, and just don't care and just want to be in the field and do whatever it is that they can to be able to be a part of something special. That's what we've been able to do in these last couple of drafts and free agencies bringing guys in. They just love football. They don't care if they get fifty targets or one, or if I get to carry the ball fifteen times, and you never see anybody like, well, how come I'm not. You know, when you see Devon when he scored, one of the first guys to grab him is Raheem Moster, right. I mean, yet they're supposed to be competing against each other. It really has you know, like again talking about Coz McDonnel really has done a good job of getting people in here that are about just one thing. Let's just go win and let's have fun while we do it. I think as you see college football continue to evolve, and you're starting to see that, like with with coach Primes doing it in Colorado, with like Travis Hunter playing both ways. There's a lot of kids that I shouldn't say lot, there's a good amount of kids that would probably love to play the whole game, right, And so when you get your hands on someone like that, you want to let them, you know, use their skill set as much as they can. And for us, it's not a both sides of the ball thing, but it's playing multiple positions on the offense and having fun doing it all.
Speaker 4: Right, So there you go, let's go ahead and take our last break right there and come back on the other side and pick the week six games. That's next Draft Time Podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Auto Nation. Third and final segment here on a Thursday edition of the Drive Time Podcast. Big thanks again to Mike Ka and of course all the Dolphins assistant coaches we speak to every single Thursday here during the regular season.
Speaker 2: Let's do the week six picks. Week five?
Speaker 4: Should I play some sad music here? Seven and seven? The wheels fell off? What the hell happened out there? We are fifty four and twenty four. That drops us down to sixty nine point two percent. Why do I say we when it's only me? I don't know, but the goal was seventy two percent. Let's try to get back to that this week with another slate of games that, quite frankly, I think are harder than last week's games were, but we're gonna do it anyway. We start tonight Thursday Night Football. Go ahead and cue the music. Cheaps over the Broncos, That one feels pretty obvious, and the Ravens over the Titans from the UK, another nine to thirty kickoff here in the East six thirty four. U folks out west, rest up. If you're gonna watch that game on a Sunday morning. But give me the Ravens in that one. I was a little bit conflicted there. I could see both those offenses struggling in that game because of the long trip over and they've just been kind of stuck in the mud for the last couple of weeks, both those teams. But give me the Ravens with Lamar Jackson to make the last play at the end to get that big victory. Dolphin's over Panthers. I'll take the Commanders over the Falcons. Do I feel good about it? Nope, sure don't, but I'm taking it. Give me the Bears over the Vikings. Do I feel good about that one? The Justin Jefferson injuries swayed me and pushed me over the edge, and I think the Bears might have found something in terms of how to call a game for Justin fields that was encouraging to get him his first big statistical day of the season. I'm still a big believer in what he can accomplish, in what he can do. So it gave me Chicago to get their second straight win after going essentially twelve months without a victory. Seattle over Sincy again, do I feel good about this one? Is it the Bengals we saw in the first four weeks of the season, or do you get the Bengals who beat a pretty punchless Cardinals team. I see people saying their back because of that win, but are they really Plus the Seahawks coming east for a ten am body clock time, I don't love that. But what I do love is Geno Smith and that offense that has been rolling against a Bengals defense that, besides that Rams game, has been kind of struggling, and then defensively, I just kind of like what the Seahawks do from a scheme standpoint, from an execution standpoint, and I don't believe that Joe Burrow and the Bengals offense is all the way back. I think it was a product of playing the Cardinals. So give me the Seahawks and that one. Niners over the Browns. Gosh, they are the best team in football, aren't they. I keep saying the Dolphins, But Dolphins.
Speaker 2: Niners Super Bowl? Maybe could be Colts over the Jags.
Speaker 4: Gardner Minshew, baby, I just I'm gonna go ahead and take the Jags. Having some jet lag jet lag, Jags coming back from London after two weeks. Give me the Saints over the Texans. The Texans have been the team that I've gotten wrong the most this year, like what's going on there.
Speaker 2: I love CJ. Stroud, but last week they kind of had let down.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna go against them this week after going against the Saints as well on that Patriots game.
Speaker 2: Yikes.
Speaker 4: Speaking of the Patriots, we're gonna take them on the road over Las Vegas because one, I don't like anything about the Raiders team right now, and the decision making late in games to kick field goals from fifty five yards when you're up by four makes no sense, and they've been not a couple times now. So give me the Patriots to bounce back in Belichick to get one over his old pupil. Give me the Rams over the Cardinals. I'll take the Eagles over the Jets.
Speaker 2: Duh. I'll take the.
Speaker 4: Lions over the Bucks, even though they're in Tampa. Tampa's off of bye week. I just think Detroit's a pretty damn good football team right now. They keep it rolling, get to five and one.
Speaker 2: What a world.
Speaker 4: Lions and Dolphins could be five and one at the end of this week. Bill's over Giants. Why the hell is that Sunday Night football? And the Cowboys over the Chargers.
Speaker 2: He's gonna do it. Yeah, I'm gonna do it.
Speaker 4: I don't like it, I don't trust it, but I'm taking the Cowboys over the La Chargers because I think it's gonna come down to a late game situation and the Chargers always seem to get wonky in those spots. So just go ahead and pick the Cowboys. Will we go seven to seven again? Maybe hopefully not, but that's kind of where we're looking at last week, and I'm hoping to bounce back this week, just like your Miami Dolphins bounce back against the Giants a week ago.
Speaker 2: So there you go.
Speaker 4: Those are the week six picks. That's the Thursday edition of the Draft Time podcast. Again, apologies for the audio on the Wednesday show.
Speaker 2: It won't happen again. In the meantime, It's going to be my time you all.
Speaker 4: Please be sure to subscribe to the podcast on Apple, Spotify, wherever you get your podcasts from. Go ahead and leave us a rating, leave us a review. You can follow me on Twitter at Wingfold NFL and the team at Miami Dolphins. Check out the Fish Tank podcast with Seth and Juice. Check out the YouTube channel for media availabilities, Dolphins Today and so much more, and last button not least, Miami Dolphins dot com. Until next time, fins up, Carolyn and Cameron Daddy ascrib