Speaker 1: White House Press Secretary Caroline Lovett is stepping down.
Speaker 2: You know when she goes on television Fox like, I mean, they dominate.
Speaker 1: And a political stunner in Wisconsin, David Crawley dropped out of the race for governor, jumped back in and just pulled off an upset almost nobody saw coming.
Speaker 3: And I would tell you, ever since we have relaunched this campaign, I have not necessarily felt the lows because I've felt the energy of communities all across the state.
Speaker 1: And the Lakers have been sold again, this time for a record breaking twelve point five billion dollars.
Speaker 2: Interesting for an ex Disney ceo. They've had their struggles as well.
Speaker 1: It's Thursday, August thirteenth from the Black Effects podcast network. I Memi Brown, this is front page and here are the days biggest stories. Stay with me. White House Press Secretary Caroline Lovett is stepping down at the end of the month, and she says the decision comes down to her two young children. President Trump announced her departure Wednesday, praising Levitt as one of the best White House Press secretaries in history.
Speaker 2: It's Caroline great. You know when she goes on television Fox like, I mean They dominate.
Speaker 1: They dominate.
Speaker 3: When she gets up there with that beautiful face and those lipsot done.
Speaker 1: Stop Papa pap like a.
Speaker 2: Little machine gun.
Speaker 1: At twenty eight, Levitt is the youngest person to ever hold the job. She's been behind the podium since the beginning of Trump's second term. Levitt recently returned to work after giving birth to her second child. She says that return made something clear she couldn't give this job the time and energy it demands while being the mother she wants to be. In her statement, Levitt said she felt in her heart she could not be the best mom to her two young children while giving the constant time, energy, and attention required of the White House Press Secretary. Trump says Levitt will remain one of his outside advisors. He has not announced who will replace her. In a major political upset in Wisconsin, Milwaukee County Executive Dave Crawley has won the Democratic primary for governor. And this was a comeback almost nobody saw coming. Crawley actually dropped out of the race last month. At the time, he said it was clear he wasn't going to win, but then another candidate dropped out. Crawley jumped back in just nine days later, and Wisconsin Governor Tony Evers endorsed him.
Speaker 3: Today, I stand before you filled with gratitude, with humility, and hope as I formerly accept the Democratic nomination to be the next governor of the great state of Wisconsin. No, making a decision to suspend a campaign and come back in both of those decisions was very difficult. But at the end of the day, we understood not just my family, but this community, everybody crossed the state. The states were too hot right now, the states are still incredibly high. No one we can't afford anybody to sit on the sidelines when it comes down to this election. And so there's a lot of ups and downs that comes with campaigning, you know, whether you're running, you know, for for city council or county board supervisor seats or governor. And I will tell you, ever since we have relaunched this campaign, I have not necessarily felt the lows, because I've felt the energy of communities all across the state.
Speaker 1: Still, the polls had Krawley losing Balley to State Representative Francesca Hung. Instead, Krawley won and just barely. He beat Hung by less than one percentage point. This race was being closely washed nationally because hung is part of the Democratic Socialist movement, the progressive wing that escored some big wins around the country, but Wisconsin Democrats went in a different direction. They chose Crawley, a more moderate Democrat who now becomes the first black major party nominee for governor in Wisconsin history. Crawley will face Republican Congressman Tom Tiffany in November. Tiffany has President Trump's endorsement and Wisconsin is one of the most closely divided states in the country, so this race will be tight. And The Los Angeles Lakers have been sold again, and the price tag this time is staggering twelve point five billion dollars. Former Disney CEO Bob Iger and investor Josh Kushner have agreed to buy the team from Mark Walter. Walter took control of the Lakers less than a year ago when the team was valued at about ten billion dollars. Now less than a year later, the Lakers are worth another two and a half billion dollars more, and at twelve point five billion dollars, this would be the most expensive sale of a professional sports team ever.
Speaker 2: But hopefully they'll make it easy for the consumer.
Speaker 4: Any NBA team can do whatever they want. I'm still riding that NBA championship high. So good for them, Good for them.
Speaker 2: Nicks are so champs. Interesting for a next Disney CEO. They've had their struggles as well with identity and where the revenue comes from, so it'll be interesting to see if he's able to focus the team to watch eighty two games. You probably need eighty two app but hopefully they'll They'll make it easy for the consumer.
Speaker 4: Any NBA team can do whatever they want. I'm still riding that NBA championship high. So good for them, Good for them.
Speaker 2: Nixt are so champs.
Speaker 1: Iiger is best known for running Disney. Kusher founded investment firm Thrive Capital. The two had reportedly been looking to buy a possible NBA expansion team in Las Vegas, then the Lakers became available. They went for one of the biggest franchises in all of sports instead. The deal, though still has to be approved by NBA owners. That's your front page, I Mimi Brown. This podcast was brought to you by The Black Effect Podcast Network.