Speaker 1: I'm a homegrowl that knows a little bit about everything and everybody.
Speaker 2: You know, if you don't lie about that, right, Lauren came in, Hey, y'all, what's up.
Speaker 3: It's Laura l.
Speaker 1: Rosa and this is another episode of the Latest with Laura Rosa.
Speaker 3: This is your Deily diggo on things, pop culture.
Speaker 1: Entertainment, news and all of the conversations that shake the room.
Speaker 3: Baby.
Speaker 1: So y'all know, we kick off The Latest with Laura Rosa with checking in behind the scenes of the Grind. You all ready, let's get to it, all right, y'all. So we're checking out behind the scenes of the Grind today Today. I am honestly just getting through work. This is like a regular weekday for me. I'm here at the Breakfast Club studio recording the podcast. We finished up the day we did lunch. I was joking with one of my coworkers here or Taylor, y'all know Taylor Taylor made It who produces the podcast The Latest, Lona Rosa. I was joking to her and I was like, working for a corporation is so crazy. If you think about it, like one day you can go from like having to like sit down and have like real meetings with each other and be very honest about what the other person isn't doing right, that is, you know, getting you from the goal.
Speaker 3: The next day, everything is cool.
Speaker 1: The day after that, y'all sitting down and eating lunch together, Like it is a very like you have to be very emotionally mature, and if even not emotionally mature, you have to just really understand the climate of corporate structure like here, and I was not even just here at the company I work for, you guys know. And when I say company I work for, the podcast is via Black Effect, but the podcast is in partnership with iHeart.
Speaker 3: iHeart is also a breakfast club. I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Breakfast club is also iHeart company as well. But any corporation, like I think back to, like, you know, when I worked in banking, I worked at a Barcolay card Us and Delaware, and I was there for about like two years. I worked in the community relations department, so we were like the marketing team for like philanthropy for the bank.
Speaker 3: That's the best way to put it.
Speaker 1: But even at like I recently saw a post from my previous balls, she's like chief operating officer at like some huge, you know, fintech company now, And I just remember us being so young and having like our disagreements.
Speaker 3: And then being cool.
Speaker 1: And like, you know, some of my first corporate banking experiences outside of Delaware just in general, even in Delaware happened with her, Like I remember going to like, you know, there would be like these certain happy hours in Wall Street that we would go to, and we would be here in New York taking meetings, and then literally like we'd be doing that on Friday, and on Monday, we'd be in a meeting potentially talking about y'all, y'all understand the dynamic I'm talking about, right, Yeah, For some reason, I was thinking about that today, Like the emotional maturity inability to compartmentalize that is needed in order to be able to survive the corporate structure is insane. And I don't even think it's like even surviving the corporate structure. I really think it goes into like life too. Like I think how you are and what you learn to be and how you learn to navigate in a professional setting creates a whole different level of like goals and just different things you want to do in your personal life. Being an adult is crazy. I'm just rambling now because oh my god, that has been me today, literally reflecting. I woke up this morning like, thank you guy, I have a job and just was reflecting because Lord, life was just you just never know where you're gonna end up.
Speaker 3: It's like the most insane thing. I was.
Speaker 1: Actually I fell asleep last night watching key Keypon and Whoopi Goldberg's conversation on Baby. This is Kekey Palmer, which is Kekey Palmer's podcast, and I think that's where my thoughts derived from today and as I woke up this morning to get ready for work.
Speaker 3: So let's get on over into the latest Kekey Palmer.
Speaker 1: I mean legendary run and I won't even say it's a run because we've always known key Key Palmer as the girl with the jobs, like key Key stay booked Palmer, period, right, But yes, so Kekey Palmer. She fresh off of an announcement that she's going to be hosting The View.
Speaker 3: The View.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, maybe that's coming for her. I'm going to be hosting The Voice. Carson Dally is taking a step back as host for the first time in like thirty one seasons, but he will be working as a producer. So Kekey Palmer is coming in and that's announced, But at the same time, her conversation whoop be Goldberg goes live on her YouTube channel, and I saw a promo for this about like me it be like two days prior, and I was so excited, Like I just know, like from watching other interviews that what we Goldberg has done, and she's very selective about who she sits down and talks to. Watching her own the view, I got the meeter. But I couldn't really tell this from meeting her because I didn't really have an extensive conversation with her, like personally, but it just seems like she's very like it is what it is, like she's going to tell you how she feels. She lays everything on the line. If she don't want to tell you how she feels, or she don't want to talk about something, she's not going to But it seems like a very vulnerable and genuine conversation. But also it seems like she just don't take no shit. And I love people like that, especially in this business like we talk about like corporates and working for companies and entertainment, like things are so different because the structures that are normally put in the place in regular workplaces, their structure and entertainment, but it's just very different, Like you have to navigate, you have to work as an entrepreneur even within a corporate setting, which can go very well at times because you're so motivated you hit the ground running. You know, you have to have long endurance and stuff and entertainment. But it can also be a negative thing because it's like a lot of times you are.
Speaker 3: Overworked, underpaid.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of things that you can go down the list that just don't work well when you are being treated as if you're entrepreneurial, like when you're being treated as if you're supposed to have an entrepreneurial spirit spirit within something that's supposed to be taking care of you. Right, But Woopy Goldberg has built up such a successful name and legacy for herself, So hearing her be honest about how this has impacted her as well, just the attitude that she has and you know, knowing knowing her worth and all of that, it was great to hear. Let's get into the interview though, So coming off of that note, let's let's get into there was a part of the interview where Woopy Goldberg is talking about all of the successes that we've seen, like legendary movies, color purple, all the things. Because because of the diversity in roles that she's been able to pick, people always give her her flowers for that, like, oh, you know would be got Range and she's like, yeah, I mean the talent is there. But to be honest, I took what I could take because I needed work and they wouldn't hire me because I was black. Let's take a list of myself.
Speaker 4: What happened with sister act? Which one you're getting into?
Speaker 2: The role they wrote that for Bett Midler that wasn't mine? How did you get on there? Take that Lady movie? I didn't take it. I was looking for I was looking for work, and everybody.
Speaker 4: Always has I was looking for it, but it's true because.
Speaker 2: Apparently I'm black.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I guess I didn't realize it, Okay, So every time I went looking for something, they were like, oh no, no, no, this isn't free.
Speaker 2: So i'd started, and I started.
Speaker 5: I said to my agents, give me all the stuff that people have turned down. So I got Burglar that way because that was Bruce Willis's movie Jumping Jack Flash was Shelley Long's movie.
Speaker 2: There's several a whole bunch of movies.
Speaker 4: I got, Hey, y'all call it what's Jennifer Lawrence din Walk?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, send it to me, Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: Because I felt like people really wanted to make those movies, and then the person they wanted said, no, let me see what I could do. That's why I loved when you said, you know, you did this and this and this, and it was always different people. I was always the character that was written. And I think because people thirty years ago, forty years ago had a limited idea of what could be done, yes, and had a limited idea of what I could do, because clearly they hadn't seen my show, so they didn't know.
Speaker 2: So I did him.
Speaker 5: And you know, listen, they didn't always work at the box office, but when they got on television, people lost their minds because people didn't always have money to go see.
Speaker 2: The movie, yeah, but they could see it on TV. And that's how we got all. A lot of my movies have.
Speaker 5: Become these kind of classics because people went, oh, that's what that was about mine.
Speaker 1: So when I saw that, I went and looked up, like, what are woop By Goldberg's top fifteen movies? Because one of our our producer is Brandon, He's been here on the podcast.
Speaker 3: Made a point to me, not a point, but he had a thought.
Speaker 1: So his thought was, woo By Goldberg has been in a lot of huge iconic films. She is massively successful, huge celebrity name. But like, what is one character of hers that you can think about that sit out to you beyond anything. I instantly thought color purple. It would have to be color Purple, or it would have to be sister act like, it would have to be one of those two. But and when I said that, he was like, yeah, I mean, I guess you're right. But he was like, even those characters, like for as big as she is, you would think that it would be way more than those, or that the characters would be like bigger or like more people would like talk about them often. I'm like, but Color Purple was huge though, like Sealy, the Color Purple was a really big movie. But it made me look up like where her top movies were. So I have a list of what gold Derby says. Player first at number fifteen, I'm sorry, Last at number fifteen, number fourteen for Color Girls in twenty ten. It's crazy because I know for Color Girls it was a big movie. I know what b Goldberg was in it, but I don't think instantly for Color Girls when I think will be Goldberg, And I think that's what the producer that I worked with was talking about, like there's a lot of big movies and she's amaze in them, but you don't even think about those characters, like you can't even name who she played. And for Colored Girls, Whoopi Goldberg played Alice Adros, the Lady in White in the twenty ten film adaption of Four Colored Girls. So she was the strict religious mother who constantly argued with her promiscuous Barton, the daughter played by Tangi, who was one of the main characters. Now you also have Koreina Karina. I've never seen at thirteen. I've never seen that number twelve. Haw Stella got her groove back. See, you don't even remember, like, and that's what I'm saying. Any if you watch the movie now, you'd be like, oh, yeah, like we couldn't have made this movie without Whoopee.
Speaker 3: But for Halstella got her groove back.
Speaker 1: The Lion King. At number eleven, she played one of the hyenas. I feel like most people wouldn't just think about that role either. Number ten, Ghost of Mississippi. I didn't see that movie. Number nine she was in Soap Dish back in ninety one. Number eight Clara's Heart in eighty eight, she Oh, She's been doing this for a long time. Number seven, Jumping Jack Flash in eighty six. Number six, The Long Work, Long Walk Home. Number five, Girl Interrupted. Number four they listened number Sister Act this number four. I can see Sister Act. That was from nineteen ninety two. I think I was one year old when Sister I came out. I could literally see Sister Act word for word. Like that movie made me want to be like that was one of the things that made me want to be on on camera.
Speaker 3: Sister Act.
Speaker 1: Moesha in Living Note, Living Color. I feel like I wasn't big on in Living Color. I will watch some of the sketches, but I wasn't big on Living Color, Living Single, Different World Cosby Show for sure. Like, oh my god, I wanted their family so bad, and I wanted to be on that show so bad. Number three Boys on the Side. Number two Ghosts and watch My Mom's Gonna Be Color Park. Yeah, Color Purple, Color Purple is that is the movie for Woopi Goldberg. She was the leading color Purple after her one woman show Broadway became a surprise hit. Steven Spielberg took a huge chance casting the unknown actress at the center of this film, but the gamble paid off. Possible controversy over her having a white director tell the story calls OSCAR voters to avoid the film and the final balloting. Despite ele eleven OSCAR nomber nations overall, Steven Spielberg was not nominated for Best Director. The various CONTROVERSI She's made the Academy go for a safer choice Best Actress too, and they awarded Jerdine Page for the trip to Bontefield since she had suffered seven prior losses. I think one of the biggest things though, that I took away from this conversation was just that people might not get it all the time, especially not right away, and some of the greatest like s I didn't really know much about it out Whoopy Goldberg's coming into her you know, like success story Kiki Palmer, I think is a bit different because, like I was young growing up on watching you know, watching Kiky Palmer, like was like She's like we're around the same age, so like that was like natural. Like I remember when a Killer Bee Killing in the Bee. You could watch it on TV or you could get it on tape, and like, you know, I didn't know that it wasn't a box office success. I had no idea about that, but I was young. But I just remember the excitement. I remember hearing, you know, all of my friends talking about it. Like I remember when that movie when she started to become like an actress that like people were recognizing Whoopee.
Speaker 3: Is you know, a lot older than me, So I don't remember that.
Speaker 1: But taking away from this conversation is just you really got to stay stead fast and even when you're not for sure what you're doing, you have to still keep doing it again because putting your reps in is what.
Speaker 3: Like you never know when you throw something at the.
Speaker 1: Wall was gonna stick, like Whoopy did not know when she did some of those movies that eventually and Kekey Pomer either when she talked about Killing Me that when it flopped originally in the box office, they would later go on to become like iconic staple pieces of cinema attached to their careers. And I think in the moment too, like I always think so much about like what's happening right now, what I'm not doing right now, what I'm not doing well right now. I never think about, like how things will grow, mature and manifest into other things, into learning lessons, into some of the greatest moments of my life, into some of the greatest learned lessons of my life. So it was good to hear, you know what b Goldberg talk a lot about that. They'll talk about everything. Though they got into sex, they got into career, I mean more into career. Uh, they got into what Bigoldberg being a fashion icon? Did y'all know people look at what Big Goldberg as a fashion icon? Now here's the thing. When Keky Pomer said fashion icon, I was like, I wouldn't phrase it that way. I understood what Kiki Pomer was trying to say, but I wouldn' phrase it that way. I would call Oprah of fashion Oprah. I wouldn't call whoopee go Burg a fashion icon. Let's take a listen to Kiki Palmer talk about woop Bee in the fashion sense.
Speaker 4: Also a fashion icon from your hair which makes me aware to your lipstick. I mean, everything about you can be emulated because it's so specific. But then it's you just kind of like, hey, you don't even really think about it, like what is your pov of fashion? And the fact that you are fashion icon to so many.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's so lovely for people to say that. But it wasn't always that way.
Speaker 5: There used to be a lot of talk in the old days about how odd I dressed because I wore sneakers to the oscars. I didn't want to put my feet in those high heels. Some when I want to do it, I do it. When I don't want to do it, I make you know, I put combat boots on under gown. I don't care because I really don't want to be uncomfortable in what I'm wearing, which is why the whole broad and underwear thing is.
Speaker 2: You know, it's a choice, is a choice.
Speaker 1: Yet I would not think of Whoopy Goldberg as a fashion icon. Has Whoopy Goldberg made fashion moves that people like point to and have conversation about. Yes, and a lot of them have. I mean, now we know a lot of them are like she talks about it on the show Comfort, But it's kind of always been like she's had her own style, and I think, to be honest with you, from the eighties up until now, like like how we are in twenty twenty six and how we dressing. You know, there's not a lot of individualism today, and I think with whoop Be, it's not that she's ever set out to be a fashion icon.
Speaker 3: I think she's always just been very much.
Speaker 1: Individual But Woodbee has had, you know, some moments, like you know, there there are if y'all google Whoopie Goldberg fashion moments, there have been some moments like one of the pictures I was trying to find. I'm trying to see where this was from. She's at like an event of some sort and she's in a T shirt with this fire leather jacket, like a distress vintage leather jacket. Everything about her has always been so cool and so effortless and willing to try whatever and do whatever and be very very very different. I mean, like sneakers with dresses, sneakers with suits. Like people have just always been very confused about what be Goldberg's personal style. And I love that they had because I feel like it's very essential to who she is as a person. She don't care nothing about yall people. It's all about what she wants and what she needs in the moment and how she's feeling in the moment.
Speaker 3: And I love that.
Speaker 1: That's why I understand what Kiki Palmer is saying, even though I know I knew what people was gonna push back on that.
Speaker 3: Like fashion, I conquer, please, I just do what I do. Now, let's sh shift gears a bit.
Speaker 1: We talk about talk shows and conversations. Young Jack and Miss Shainikah over on the streets warning takeover. They continued the conversation today. Well, to be fair, they responded to Clarissa Shield, who is huge, you know female boxer. She's the guote, she's undefeated, does her thing. She has a fight coming up August fifteenth in Atlanta. But there's been a back and forth, you know, because of an interview that they did with her.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: In the interview, she was asked about pet Poos, who was a rabber from New York.
Speaker 3: Who was formerly dating Remy Ma. They were married, actually not dating.
Speaker 1: Sorry, they were married for some time, so a lot of time, and then it came out that Clarissa was dating him, which all of it caught all of us by surprise, if I'm being honest, because we only knew of pet Poofs and Clarissa. I'm sorry, we only knew of pet Poofs and Remy as like black love and working things out and you know whatever. There were rumblings of different things, but we just did not know. But anyway, Clarissa Shields was in Atlanta promoting her fight. She went on a radio show with Young Jack and Miss Shaanika the Street's wanting to take Over, and she was asked this question. We talked about this in a previous episode, but let's say it al.
Speaker 2: Real question because I didn't been here before.
Speaker 6: How much longer are you willing to be in a relationship with somebody's husbands?
Speaker 3: Because at the end of the day, that's.
Speaker 2: What people are looking at.
Speaker 7: Well pause, pause, because that's not somebody's husband. Pat Posts filed for divorce. Y'all hate to say that word, but it's the word that's out there. He filed for divorce because he's serious about me. I'm not with somebody's husband. And if you're gonna call him her husband, make sure you call her his wife, and also hold her accountable for what she's doing in her life because she hasn't who she's big about. So don't make it seem like it's just one sided. I'm not with somebody's husband.
Speaker 3: I'm with the man.
Speaker 7: Who filed for divorce, who's serious about me, who has done things for me that I've done for him.
Speaker 3: So that's not what it is.
Speaker 7: They say that because they want that to be the narrative, but that's not it. People go through divorces and break up more than anything in the world.
Speaker 3: That's why it's such a big talk.
Speaker 1: Now has done, you know, some press hits following that interview. One of them she did with an outlet out of Atlanta called The Inquirer. Shout out to Dennis Byron Fuktogh you know also has this show as well to don Atlanta. We covered the Diddy triw together, but she did an interview with them, and here's some of the things that she had to say about the moment where she asked Clarissa Shields that question and the fact that it went viral.
Speaker 3: Let's say listen for later.
Speaker 6: Yes, and at that point, once she started answering the question, I think me and Jock and Shawty kind of looked at one another and said, oh, no, this is a delusional situation. We're not going to go back and forth with her about something that her man has rehearsed to her over and over again. This nigga lit like, We're not gonna do that.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying now.
Speaker 1: Clarissa Shields was not happy about that whatsoever, and she responded saying this, I want.
Speaker 8: To tell you the real reason why Pap is with me, because I don't think you know. I'm gonna tell you. I'm a bad ass, beach flat out. My ass is real, my body's real. I look good at fucking face. I'm successful, I'm young, and the things that my little who Nama can do is amazing.
Speaker 1: Miss Shanka and Young Jack or rad Streets nine for five.
Speaker 3: I keep saying Streets nine for five because that's the station at day.
Speaker 1: I don't even if they're still on that station, but when I was in Atlanta trying to figure out if I wanted to be down there for work and career, I just remember that station number. But yeah, So they responded on their morning show kind of recapping everything because Clarissa's comments got picked up pretty widely, at least across like you know, black social media, on the black side of things. Let's take a listen.
Speaker 6: I asked that question from a place of care. I'm sitting here, We're interviewing a thirty one year role champion and her feel I'm feeling her energy. It's it's upbeat, but you know, I can I can tell that that there's more going on than meet the eye. And as I led in my question, I said, I've been here before, a lot of women have been there before, and so I'm putting these facts together and over time, you know, from people speaking on the way that she looks, or the way that she acts, or the way that she dresses. I'm looking at this young, successful lady, and I'm just like, I hate that for you. I hate that people are, you know, looking at you and your talent, but your your drama in what you who you chose to love, is overshadowing that. So yes, I wanted to know, sister. I wanted to know what I guess most people. I didn't know that she hadn't been askedat before, but it was in my spirit. It was nothing that I wrote down on paper.
Speaker 2: It was it.
Speaker 6: Literally, girl, how long are you willing to let this overshadow your career?
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 1: I think the question that Miss Shaanika was asking is what people wanted to know. And I sit in a very rare area on this because it's like I understand both sides of the coin, right, Like I understand being a person in the room who like really wants to know something, but also you know that's what people want to know. But if you're just a follower of culture pop culture, there are certain people that when they come in a room and you sit down to talk to them, you know everything that people have talked to them about, haven't talked to them about, but you know the answers that you really want to get to. And I don't mean because you're trying to go vow or anything like that, but it's just like I really, as a person that is inquisitive, want to know, and I think that that's what this was. I think Miss Schaaniga really had that question and really wanted to know, because that's a lot of you know, the conversation that surrounds Clarissa Shields and Patpoose's current relationship. Now on the other side of it, first of all, I wouldn't even say I wouldn't have asked a question that way. I would I wouldn't have been able to If I had asked a question that way, I would have.
Speaker 3: Been dragged to the high heavens.
Speaker 1: I can't even get it out. People would have been calling me all types of messy or whatever. I've had to learn how to be able to get to a question like that without saying it anywhere near like that period, Like when Clarissa Shields was here on the Breakfast Club. We talked to her about, you know, the relationship, and it's four of us in the room, and I remember specifically, remember sometimes I'll hit envy during the interviews and be like, yo, this question. We really need to make sure we don't miss can you help me? Like because sometimes in conversation, if it's for people or say she might go to something super positive and mental health or whatever, you don't want to be the person bringing back in.
Speaker 3: So when are divorce gonna be find on us? Because then it's like dang.
Speaker 1: And I remember when I first you know, came over to the Breakfast Club and started the podcast here with the latest would learn the road. So one of the critiques that I would always get notes from the guys would be you know, your your situational awareness, like you are very like like boom, just say it and it works sometimes, but like you got to ease your way into it, and you know, think about the fact that this is a person you're talking to. How would you want to be asked that question? So I understood both sides of it, especially when social media gets involved, like they said, like I don't think that you know, people talk about it enough, but social media and the people picking up the phone and calling you from from Look, you got your friends and family who all see this is viral now, like that can do something to you. I've had to learn to sell on social media when things go down. I've also had to learn to not answer the phone when things go down, not to bring up, you know, bad times, but with me and Jess are going through all that stuff publicly, Like when things would go viral from the show, I literally would not answer my phone for like friends or family that day, like literally because I knew in my mind, I was like, you know, it ain't always gonna be here. One day, we'll get to the bottom of like what the you know what the the energy is that I was receiving and that you know, I was you know what I mean, Like I felt the energy, but like I'm like, you know, we're gonna get to the bottom of this, and when we do, I don't want what other people think, feel, or you know, their instant need to try and protect me to come into it. So I would literally not answer the phone or like, you know, I wouldn't entertain certain conversations because I wanted to have my own mind and my own opinion about it. Because I was the one in the situation who was also watching, you know, just coming here every morning, super super you know, postpartum and figuring out her place, and like I would see that side of it, but then I would also get the other it too. So I was trying to find like a very good middle space of like, all right, we can't keep doing this, but at the same.
Speaker 3: Time, I feel you and I feel for you.
Speaker 1: So I blocked a lot of stuff out during that time and a lot of people out during that time, and not out of malice. I know that they loved me and just didn't like what they were seeing or you know what I mean, but like you have to and I think one social media gets a hold of certain things, and people in the outside world outside of that situation you're in get a hold of it. It is really tough to fight back against not feeling like you have to strike back because now they're all watching, Now they all talking, now they're all listening. I think there were parts of the interview though, that Miss Shinika did with Dennis Byron that I was like, okay, now, you know, and like not even just Cloris to Shields. But if anybody had watched this interview after y'all had a conversation a person, they would feel away. They would feel like, okay, like we could have had that conversation in person, though, So I get it, y'all.
Speaker 3: Let me know what y'all think.
Speaker 1: You know, I know, I saw a lot of the journalists girlies having like decorum conversations, and I don't even subscribe to any of that stuff either.
Speaker 3: Because y'all, y'all be go.
Speaker 1: You ask the tough questions one day to oh my god, you so messy. You always sit down to people the next like I can't with the people. It's been another episode of the Latest with Laura Rosa. I am your host, Miss Laura the Rosa and I tell you, guys, I've never called myself miss On here. I don't know why I just did that. I tell you guys, every single episode, y'all could be anywhere with any old body, talking about all the things, but you choose to be right here with me, my Lowriders. I love you, guys.
Speaker 3: I'll see you in my next episode.