Speaker 1: In Uptown New York City, underdogs created a sound that changed music forever. We called it Saisa, and one label captured that sound like no other, Bania Records. I'm Rosy Pres and this is our thing. The Birth of SASA in Nueva York, an original podcast from Futuro Studios. Listen now wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Hello, dear listener. On Friday, we brought you the first episode of a new show by Futuro Studios. It's called American Football. It's a podcast about soccer culture in the US and it's underdog roots. So as we gear up for the Men's World Cup in just a few weeks, American Football is airing short narrative episodes and deep dive interviews about the game we love and the people who love it. Here is the second episode. It's an interview with one of the players who was part of the rebirth of soccer in the US, hosted by Leo USA's managing editor, Fernanda Echavari.
Speaker 3: It was really difficult to leave Uruguay for me.
Speaker 4: I remember telling my father at the time that out of all the countries in the world that we can move to, why do we have to move to the one that doesn't have soccer. And my grandfather was the one who you know, he cleaned my soccer shoes. He's the one that took me to the practices with my team. I left Uruguay and I never saw my grandfather again.
Speaker 3: It was a very tough move.
Speaker 5: Could you have ever imagine how far you would go in the sport moving to the US, the country that cared about soccer the least I.
Speaker 3: Could have never imagined.
Speaker 4: I mean, I really thought when I moved to the US, basically that soccer was going to be a hobby for me and that I wouldn't be able to accomplish the goals that I had set out when I was growing up as a child in Uruguay and I was on my way to go in the pro route, and I felt like that got cut off and it was, you know, let's just call it an unconventional way of making it where I wanted to make it in the first place, but I did.
Speaker 5: From Futuro Studios, I'm Fernande Charvari and this is American Football, a show about soccer culture in the US and it's underdog roots. Tabarre Ramos or tab is widely regarded as one of the best US soccer players of the nineteen nineties.
Speaker 4: Well that's what my mother used to say, so let's just agree with that.
Speaker 5: That might be underselling it a bit. He's a three time World Cup player and the first player to sign with Major League Soccer or MLS. He was named the nineteen ninety US Soccer Athlete of the Year after one of those World Cups, and he was inducted into the National Soccer Hall of Fame in two thousand and five. So yeah, it's definitely not just his mom. Soccer culture in the US is particularly unique and dramas represents a pivotal moment in time for US men's soccer. He's part of its renaissance, it's rebirth. He's someone who came to a practically soccer lesson nation and helped build a new generation of fans, energizing a national team that long seemed hopeless. And like so many great American things, he came from somewhere else.
Speaker 4: I started kicking a ball as soon as I could walk. Soccer football in Uruguay, it truly is a.
Speaker 3: Way of life.
Speaker 4: It's very much ingrained into the culture of the country and what child growing up doesn't want to be a soccer player. It's basically everyone wants to play football. So when I signed for my first club in Montevideo, I was six years old, and I remember that my uncle sort of forced me to go to the club because he felt like I was ready. And I remember thinking, oh my god, I don't think I'm ready, and he said to me, well, you've been playing on the street already for a couple of years.
Speaker 5: He was ready. But then when he was about eleven years old, his family made a tough decision to move to the US.
Speaker 4: In the late seventies, you know, the economy and Uruguay was not doing so well.
Speaker 3: So my father was in Uruguay.
Speaker 4: He had been an electrical engineer, so he came to the US to work. He thought we'd have a better life here.
Speaker 5: Moving as a kid is hard, all right, And moving to a place where the thing you love the most is not the star sport, that's tough. How did you sort of handle that when you got here? La basin glz no or did you learn it when you got here?
Speaker 4: I mean we knew things like how to say table or cat or random things. You know that really when you meet friends and when you're trying to be in a conversation doesn't really help a whole lot.
Speaker 5: So none of that applies. I was there at one.
Speaker 3: Point, so it was really difficult.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: I wish to tell you that I adapted to the country quickly, but it really was hard.
Speaker 3: You know, I moved into New Jersey.
Speaker 4: It's not like there were a lot of Hispanics in the area I was in, and you know, it's hard to assimilate yourself into the culture and to become accustomed to what other people like. I was always very reserved and introverted, and for me it became difficult to make friends. And you know, my first year in this country was really hard.
Speaker 5: Dramos was moving to what he envisioned to be a soccer less wasteland, but he serendipitously ended up in what just might have been one of the few places in the US that really went crazy for soccer, Carney, New Jersey in the late nineteenth century. The town's gigantic threadmills attracted immigrants to work there. Early on, Carney came to be known as the cradle of American soccer. It's the birthplace of a lot of really amazing players, and actually the team associated with the massive factory in town, the Clark Thread Company, won three American Football Association Cups in the late eighteen eighties. Other new Jerseys from neighboring towns like Jimmy Douglas and Thomas Florey played in the first ever World Cup coincidentally in Uruguay in nineteen thirty. And the descendants of this town are loud and proud of this history and continued a fierce love of the game. But in terms of the rest of the country, soccer didn't really have that same appeal.
Speaker 4: You went somewhere else, you realize that soccer didn't really exist, that soccer was sort of this hobby that some people had on the side. You know, you learn to become a salesman for the sport because you have no choice, because everywhere you go soccer is, Oh, you play that soccer. You know, it's not even soccer, it's that soccer. It's almost like that's poor out. Yeah, And so you learn to accept that, and you learned to say the right things.
Speaker 5: But Dramos and his team did develop a rowdy fan base, affectionately self described as the Carney Army. As you can hear in this clip from the documentary Soccer Town USAY. By nineteen eighty four, Dramos had graduated high school a call. It was the New York Cosmos, the very same team that the soccer legend Brazilian superstar Pila had played for, and they wanted to draft him. Ramos was thrilled. He trained with them for a little bit, but in the end he decided to go to college instead. It's a familiar crossroads that a lot of immigrants and first gents find themselves in. Their parents sacrificed a lot to give them better opportunities, so they have to weigh that against their true passions.
Speaker 4: My father always said that you know you can kick a ball for a little while, that you'll have your education for the rest of your life.
Speaker 3: That was really important to him.
Speaker 4: Fortunately, I was the best player in the country my senior year in high school.
Speaker 3: I could pick pretty much any college.
Speaker 4: I could go to for free, and by the way, thank god, because my parents wouldn't be able to afford college, so it was good that.
Speaker 3: I could go for free.
Speaker 4: So I decided to go to North Carolina State, and I think part of that was really the decision from my parents. At North Carolina State, there was an Argentinian coach and his brother had played in the World Cup. So for my parents that was sort of the connection in allowing me to once again connect to world soccer, and so I chose North Carolina State.
Speaker 5: It turns out that was a smart decision because not long after he debated joining the Cosmos instead of going to college, the Cosmos and the entire North American Soccer League shuddered. But even though the league was no more, they were still great soccer to be played.
Speaker 3: And then we went to the Olympics in Seoul.
Speaker 6: On a bright and beautiful Saturday morning in Seoul, Koreans, by the hundreds of thousands, they have turned out to create a day they've long awaited.
Speaker 5: That's after the break.
Speaker 7: In the tradition of radio classics. Here in Tails of the Night are the stories, horrors, and legends that inhabit the streets of Mexico and liberto America. The darkness of the most successful and acclaimed horror podcast across all categories in Latin America looms over you now. In English Tales of the Night, You're in now, but be warned, because in the Silence of the Dog you might just become the next protagonist of Tales of the Night. Listen to Tales of the Night wherever you get podcasts.
Speaker 5: It's American football. I'm Fernande Chavalis. In the nineteen eighty eight Olympics, the US did pretty well. They tied with both Argentina and with South Korea, but ultimately lost to the USSR in a four to two game. It was a disappointing loss, but one that would soon be overshadowed by two incredible nineteen ninety World Cup qualifying games, one where the US would smash Costa Rica thanks to an incredible goal by none other than Tap Dramos.
Speaker 2: And then ESPN presents the World Cup qualifying game.
Speaker 8: One of these teams will advance to the World Cup.
Speaker 6: It's the national teams of the USA VERSUS Trinidad and Tobago.
Speaker 5: It's a hot sunny day in Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago. Hastley Crawford Stadium is packed with the sea of red, all for the home team. It seemed like there was a mandatory sign that said you must wear red or you would be allowed to enter the stadium.
Speaker 3: Because that's all you see here.
Speaker 5: It's just the sea of red. Trinidadian flags are everywhere, and there are signs as far as the eye can see. One sign reads no way USA. We're in minute thirty one of an already intense match. Dramos kicks the ball over to midfielder Paul Kellajerry and in an unlikely move, Calajeri launches the ball with his non dominant left foot and.
Speaker 3: What Clagians corle.
Speaker 5: Time read what It's a historic goal known as the shot heard around the world on a running goal. It's proud, after word, to cut up a little bit, which would lead to the US finally entering the World Cup again after a forty year dry spell forty years. Walk me through what it was like to go to Italy and represent the United States. What did that World Cup mean for you and your team?
Speaker 4: I think first is you know, thinking about how unlikely it was that we were going to qualify to that World Cup. You know, US had not been to a World Cup in forty years, and here we are a bunch of young guys that basically had only college experience and we end up qualifying to the World Cup and you have the whole world watching, you know, a billion plus people watching. I remember walking onto the field and thinking, how am I here? How am I in this place? That's exactly what I wish I could tell you that I was looking at it in a different way, but really that's what it was. It was almost like I had fought my whole life from you know, when I was four years old playing the game on the streets, to then signing at six years old, and here I am at the one place where.
Speaker 3: Like every player in the world.
Speaker 4: Would trade positions with me, and how lucky am I to be here?
Speaker 3: And I actually thought those things.
Speaker 4: It was truly incredible to be in those shoes that day.
Speaker 3: You know, I wish I could go back to that moment. I really do.
Speaker 5: Overall, what would you say was the US performance in that World Cup?
Speaker 4: You know, I wish I could tell you it went well for us, but it really didn't. We were really not much better than tourists participating against some of the best players in the world, and so it was a wake up call for us. But I think it was also a wake up call for the and I'm very fortunate to have been part of that generation of players that took the national team back to the World Cup.
Speaker 3: After four decades.
Speaker 5: I don't think I would personally call their performance in Rome as that of mere tourists. I mean, yes, of course, the lack of experience did hurt them. They immediately lost five to one to Czechoslovakia, and then, like fighting a lion in its own den, went up against Italy.
Speaker 4: We ended up, you know, fighting for that game, and we lost one zero. We almost hide it at the end, actually on a ball that almost went over the line.
Speaker 3: Very good safe rebound zinger at the double. Well, the best chance in the United States so far.
Speaker 4: We definitely showed ourselves, but I feel like the world really put us in our place.
Speaker 3: The United States teamers showed plenty of fight in the end. Here it's finished there. Italy won the United States of America.
Speaker 5: N Just to show you how historic this all was. Even though the US team did lose, it wasn't lost on anyone. How incredible of an accomplishment it was for them to go toe to toe with one of the best teams at the time and only loose by one point. At the end of the game, the Italian team swapped jerseys with the US team in a show of respect. Remember, the US had not even been able to qualify for a FIFA Men's World Cup for four decades. I mean, these guys had given audiences here a great show. And even though the team exited the tournament early, tab Ramos and the other two players from Carne New Jersey came home to a big parade in their honor. They were toted around in these fancy corvettes and even given a key to the city, as it was captured in the documentary Soccer Town.
Speaker 1: I'd like to thank the.
Speaker 4: Mayor and the whole town of Cornee, the people not only for being.
Speaker 8: The greatest people in this country, but the greatest people in the world.
Speaker 6: And I really mean that, and thanks very much for everything.
Speaker 5: Four years later, in nineteen ninety four, it was time for the World Cup again, and this time the United States was hosting.
Speaker 4: By the time nineteen ninety four rolled around, we had already beaten England, we had beaten Portugal, we had beaten Ireland, we had tied Italy. Like we already were getting results summer after summer, and our team was improving.
Speaker 3: We were now a competitive team.
Speaker 4: We had experience, we had good players on the team.
Speaker 3: You know, we beat Mexico.
Speaker 4: Right before That World Cup started at the Rose Bowl in front of one hundred thousand people. So we went into that World Cup with momentum and really feeling confident about who we were.
Speaker 5: Plus they had the Carney Army supporting them once again with Kegs signs and all of their rowdy hooligan energy. Again. Soccer Town USA one.
Speaker 3: Hundred and twenty was out there.
Speaker 9: Every one of us had American strips and we had girls and American bikinis.
Speaker 3: We were there for a party. We knew the party was there and we took control. We knew the Carnee guys were there. We didn't even know how.
Speaker 4: They got to California, but they got there. And there was a neat thing about Carneye which was, you know, we were the underdog town sort of everywhere we went, and that was the attitude of the fans.
Speaker 5: After the break, we wrap up our story with a fractured skull and an unbroken spirit. This is American football, am Fernande Charvari. So we're in the World Cup here in the US and it's time for the home team to play its first game. They go up against Switzerland. They tie one to one. It's clear from the start that this is not the US national team of the past. Just look at their second game they earn a massive two to one victory against Colombia.
Speaker 9: For so long, the United States of America have been on the outside looking in when the faith of World Cup is at the center of the world's attention. But now they are right at the heart of it, and they are the story here today.
Speaker 5: They've now made it past the group stage, something that just four years prior seemed impossible. I mean, they're literally keeping up with one of the best teams in the world. In their game with Brazil, they are neck and neck.
Speaker 9: The back heel from Ramos, that's nicely done by the United States.
Speaker 3: But get into growing confidence here until Ramos and Leonardo tangling.
Speaker 4: Goodness me, oh, elbow, elbow by Leonardo.
Speaker 3: Tab Ramos in some distress.
Speaker 4: We were tied zero zero with Brazil in the second round and I took an elbow to my head which cracked my skull.
Speaker 2: Okay, there's tab Ramos doing well, shooting the.
Speaker 5: Ball getting away almost tolds Leonardo's shirt, But.
Speaker 3: Then that is an elbow to the side of his face.
Speaker 4: Obviously at that point I had to get taken out of the game. I know that the coach waited until halftime to see if I could go back in, But obviously I went from there right to the hospital, and so I didn't even see the second half. Matter of fact, I didn't even find out that we lost the game one zero until later that night, many hours after the game ended, watching.
Speaker 5: The video of you getting hit. I mean hearing you say right now, I took an elbow to the head a really down place, sort of how violent this was. I just I wonder if at any point you, your family, anybody, if you said you know what this might be, it like, this is a really serious injury. Do I retire now? Or were you super determined to get back and play.
Speaker 4: I love that you asked me this question, because this goes back to the beginning when we talked about me being four years old and how important.
Speaker 3: Soccer was for me.
Speaker 4: As part of my recovery, I visited the Olympic boxing doctor just to sort of assess my injury and see what the possibilities of coming back, and the Olympic boxing doctor said to me, well, I can tell you if you were a boxer, I would never let you box again if you get hit in the head with a ball hard enough, you could have some real serious consequences.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 4: Had the elbow been half an inch lower, I likely would have died on the field.
Speaker 5: That's terrifying.
Speaker 4: Yes, And yet having said all that, I couldn't picture my life without soccer.
Speaker 3: I couldn't picture it.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: It was a really difficult moment for me because it was a big decision to make. But in the end, I think I did the right thing by continuing to play.
Speaker 5: The US team would end up losing that game to Brazil when Ramos got hurt, then they lost again to Austria. Brazil ended up winning the entire thing, but Ramos had led the US to its best World Cup performance since that first ever World Cup game in nineteen thirty Dramos recovers from his injury and starts to think about what's next. He ends up playing for the Real Betis in Spain and becomes one of the first US players to make a name for himself in Europe. In nineteen ninety five, he signed US the very first player in Major League Soccer, or MLS, and three years later he plays his last World Cup. He's gone on to coach for teams like the Houston Dynamo and Hartford Athletic. He was an assistant coach for the World Cup in twenty fourteen. He's also coached the US under twenty men's national team for eight years, establishing a record of success for the team. He's also been a commentator for Telemundo in previous World Cups. Do you still speak Spanish or not much?
Speaker 8: See Siembre Mundiales Los tra gon Telemundo is al Mundalo de liciocho in Russia con Telemundo, El Cadar and Elminios.
Speaker 5: So looking back at what soccer was when you moved to the US in the seventies and what it is today when it comes to popularity, buy in, fandom, skill, how has it evolved? Where are we now? I'm just trying to understand from your perspective you have I've seen it, not from an audience perspective or a commentator or a historian. You played it, you lived it, and now we have the World Cup coming back. What's different now?
Speaker 4: In nineteen ninety four, I feel like it was sort of the birth of soccer here. Twenty twenty six has to be the World Cup that makes soccer permanent. Ooh, now, I'll say this. You know, a lot has happened since nineteen ninety four. You know, we have a league now. The league has huge stadiums. The stadiums are full, they have training facilities for kids. Kids are developing, We have more and more good players. There's thirty teams in the league now. They're all doing well. They're known in conca CAF. They dominate most of concor CAFF with Lega MX.
Speaker 5: Like.
Speaker 4: All of that's happening, But this is the World Cup in which I think we need to make some ground in the culture of the country because I still this is the one thing that hasn't changed. I can still walk into a bar two blocks away from my house and the guys at the bar are not talking about soccer. They're talking about college basketball. They're talking about football, they're talking about baseball, they're talking about hockey. They're talking about many other sports that are not soccer. And so I think, although the sport has come a long way, we still have a long way to go. I feel really proud of having been a big part of the sort of rebirth of soccer in this country, of having been maybe a small part of that generation of players of four or five that were able to play those three World Cups in the nineties. That sort of put soccer a little bit on the map in this country.
Speaker 5: Maybe not so small a part.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, this is a team sport at the end of the day, and you're only one, So.
Speaker 5: Of course, of course, could soccer become America's favorite pastime?
Speaker 3: Not in my lifetime.
Speaker 4: Wow, could it become the favorite maybe somewhere down the road. My experience so far as a fifty nine year old, so it's quite a few years, is that soccer continues to be the sport of the future.
Speaker 5: Hmm.
Speaker 3: I would like to see it arrive.
Speaker 4: At some point, and I'm not sure I'm going to be able to see that in my lifetime.
Speaker 5: Although we may not see soccer becoming America's favorite pastime in this generation, who knows, maybe the next one we'll see another tab Ramos that will help push the sport to the top for the next generation. But that person probably won't be Dramos's youngest.
Speaker 4: We put her in rex soccer and immediately she yelled to the sidelines, why are you making me do this?
Speaker 3: So she didn't like it, No, thank you, dad.
Speaker 4: So she became a dancer and she did competitive dance, so that's her sport.
Speaker 5: Maybe in their lifetime maybe.
Speaker 3: I hope so, I hope. So.
Speaker 2: That was the second episode of American Football, a new podcast about US soccer culture from Futuro Studios. Go to the American Football podcast feed and subscribe. It's also linked in our show notes in the next episode, Why soccer might actually be more American than you think.
Speaker 6: It came to the US before it got to Brazil. We had a pro league before Spain and Italy. I mean, it was a game that was exported and the US got it almost before anybody else.
Speaker 2: This and so much more. So, don't forget to subscribe to American Football.
Speaker 10: Latino USA is made possible in part by the Annie Casey Foundation. Creates a brighter future for the nation's children by strengthening families, building greater economic opportunity, and transforming communities. The John D. And Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation and funding for Latino USA is Coverage of a culture of health is made possible in part by a grant from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.