Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast. I'm Tom Keene, along with Jonathan Ferreroll and Lisa Abramowitz. Join us each day for insight from the best an economics, geopolitics, finance and investment. Subscribe to Bloomberg Surveillance on demand on Apple, Spotify and anywhere you get your podcasts, and always on Bloomberg dot Com, the Bloomberg Terminal, and the Bloomberg Business App.
Speaker 2: Perfect guest for reaction to this speech as Mohammad ol Aeron of Bloomberg Opinion and Queen's College, Cambridge. Mohammad, thanks for being with us and being with us through that speech as well. What were your thoughts when you heard some of those words from Chairman Powell just moments ago.
Speaker 3: I had three takeaways John. First, it's a speech that said very little that is new. He repeated what he has said in the past, and he has retained maximum policy optionality. Second, he reminded us that with the exception of the inflation target he said is two percent and will remain two percent, everything else is uncertain and that end. His reference to our star in particular was very interesting. And Third, what I thought was also curious is how he ended this speech. He ended the speech talking about we will follow the stars in a cloudy sky. Everybody sees the cloudy sky, but what's interesting is that the west of Jackson Hall will be about moving stars. All the structural changes that are going on domestically and internationally, and that just adds to the topic that the three of you have been talking. That is a very complex world out there, and the FED has to navigate a lot of moving pieces, Mohammed.
Speaker 2: One conversation you and I have had over the last several weeks, the last several months for that matter, people having this discussion here as well, are we, from your standpoint, in your opinion, sufficiently restrictive?
Speaker 3: John, This goes immediately to what is the right inflation target? If the riding inflation target is two percent, and they want to get there in a credible period of time, then we are not sufficiently restrictive. If the right inflation target, as you've heard many people say, including Adam Posen today, is above two percent giving all the structural changes, and the way we're going to get there is not by announcing the new target by but by following a shadow target and then once we see it stable at adopting it. I think that's the most likely outcome. By the way, then we are sufficiently restrictive.
Speaker 4: Wellhamed, does it concern you that we've heard a lot of people who sound pretty happy. Actually, other than Ja Powell, who is taking sort of the adult tone of we're not there yet, Stop declaring victory. There's a lot more down the pike, everybody else sounds like things are going really well, and the FED policy is achieving exactly what it saw to.
Speaker 3: So I don't think it's everybody else, but most people are, especially in the marketplace. So the economists. You have Larry Summers, for example, reminding us this morning that if you look at the seventies inflation cycle, this one looks very similar. He has to do graphs up and he's sort of warning implicitly that we may see a pickup in inflation. So I think the marketplace is much more complacent than the economists saw. The economists recognize that the many moving pieces, whereas the marketplace things that we've gotten to a new equilibrium and from here is going to be cut next year. That remains to be seen.
Speaker 4: Do you think, Muhammed, that it's important for the FED to get ahead of a potential resurgence in inflation. Or do you think that Jay Powell's approach of watching the stars and seeing what they are will be sufficient to curtail some sort of more embedded inflation.
Speaker 3: It's hard, Lisa, because as you know, they have not, like past Feds, opted for strategic view of the of inflation, nor do they have a functional monetary policy framework. So they've become highly data dependent, which means that they are using instruments with lags on backward looking data. So they aren't a bit of a tough situation. They're going to remain data dependent. So I don't think he knows what they will do in September. He's going to wait to see what the job report is. He's going to wait for the CPI numbers, and then they're going to decide what to do. But this is the irony is it's a highly dependent, data dependent FED using instruments that act with a lag.
Speaker 2: Plenty of feedback. Tom this coming from no data of Renmak. Just Truition sent the following. I thought Power delivered a neutral speech. The FED sees its monetary policy stances restrictive, and we'll make a more tempered approach to future meetings, proceed carefully, risk management. These are all cash phrases for do nothing right now. The view from no data, just manas a guy.
Speaker 1: A lot more response coming in here, mixed mark red and green on the screen, Doctor Orion. I want to touch upon your iconic working game theory and that the word that I'm hearing this morning is complexity. I heard it from you, I heard it from John Lipsky and others. The simplicity we're all begging for is tee decisions. You are known for this, This is a Jackson Hall devoid of tee decisions. How do our viewers and listeners handle the complexity now? And to come tom?
Speaker 3: I think the most important thing to understand is that we have left the world of insufficient demand and we are now in a world of insufficient supply. And there's many reasons for that. It's a world that's not going to go away anytime soon. It's not pandemic issues that are fully reversible quickly. There are longer term issues going on change, globalization, supply change management, the functioning of the labor market, and the list goes on. So we are now in a different world of supply side constraints, and that world will mean that countries will become more inwardly looking, which we've seen already, and it also means that policy has to adjust to that. Now put on top of that the layer of industrial policy as we embark more meaningfully on a green transition, and it's all about the supply side, Tom, and that's where monetary policy is really challenged, because it acts on the demand side.
Speaker 1: We're thrilled, Mohammad to have doctor Greghava with us, and then you and Christine Leguard with us later. And the heart of the matter is are we beyond the supply shocks of this pandemic? Where are we on that continuum? Muhammad? Have we escaped COVID?
Speaker 3: I mean, we've escaped the worst of COVID, but we're dealing with the legacy of COVID, But we're also dealing with the legacy of the war. We're also dealing with many other legacies. You know, Tom, is fascinating that you will have President Laggard on because if you think the US is complicated, then in terms of degrees of complexity, Europe is even higher. The UK is even higher than that. So it's going to be really interesting to talk as you will do to President Laguard, because even though she has a single mandate, her environment is significantly more complicated than the FEDS, which is already complicated.
Speaker 2: So, Mohammad, she is so much more exposed. Europe is much more exposed to what's developing in China at the moment, Muhammad, If you took the US out of the equation right now, and we've been talking just about Europe and China, wouldn't we be talking about things like rate cuts and easing and stimulating the economy.
Speaker 3: If you take the US out of the equation, you'ld be talking about stagflation, and that's what everybody is afraid of. The US is exceptional, and it's exceptional in this economic performance. And if you take the US away, then you're taking away the only engine of growth for this global economy. But you're not taking away to supply side issues that are causing the inflationary pressure. So if you take the US away, we would be talking about not just the risk of stackflation in Europe, but you would be talking about the risk of stackflation in the global economy.
Speaker 2: Muhammed, is that the risk of the reality in Europe right now?
Speaker 3: John, is still the risk. You know, Yes, Germany is struggling the most, and that is if you like the engine for Europe, but there's also good things happening in Europe. Away from Germany. It's a high risk. It's flashing WED, not even yellow, it's flashing WED, but it's not yet a done deal. The US is much better off. China, ironically is the one that's suffering the most. If you've been discussing all morning, there is no obvious policy response, and now these piecemeal responses are being rejected by the marketplace really quickly. The marketplace is no longer embracing the notion that China can get itself out of the mess is finds itself in.
Speaker 4: And that's perhaps the cause of the manufacturing recession that we see in Germany and parts of Europe.
Speaker 5: But the service.
Speaker 4: Aside, we've been talking about how that's maybe more directly affected by the ECB's policies and where rates are and the more direct transmission mechanism than in the US. J. Powell just said that there is evidence that the long and variable lags are coming to the foe and will actually reduce growth materially in the US. Is Europe a model for the US is headed with respect to services in the next couple of months or in the next year.
Speaker 3: I hope not, Lisa. Our service sector has been stronger, and even though the PMI numbers this week were disappointing, at least there were over fifty for the service sector. We don't want pmis south of sixty of fifty. And also, ironically the service sectors where Europe just to stackflation as well. It's not the goods sector, it's a service sector that's the inflation problem, source of an inflation problem. So I hope we don't follow Europe because if we do, then we will be talking about a very different outlook for the US.
Speaker 4: We're also talking about the potential for some sort of weakness down the pike. One thing that j Powell speech did. We seem to remove rate cuts in the near future, at least for the foreseeable future, and you can see that shifting upward in the rate expectations. Do you think that this economy can handle a five percent FED funds rate for the remainder of next year even with all the strength that you're hearing about.
Speaker 3: Lisa, we don't know. And he did use the word agile, and that's absolutely correct. He's got to be agile. Look, there are all sorts of sectors that adjust with a lag. We haven't seen the full impact yet of the higher weights. You're starting to see it play out in various segments, but in a very small way. Remember, not everything gets refinanced immediately. This is very unlike the UK economy, where the effective duration is much shorter, so you get refinancing quickly, and the weights have the great effects happen much quicker. So we don't know how well we can navigate under five percent. It seems that the big issues in the banking sector are behind us. But so far, and it's really important to stress this, we've dealt only with interest rate risk. We have not dealt with credit risk. We have not dealt with liquidity risk. And that's what people in the marketplace have to keep an eye on.
Speaker 2: Stuart Kaiser, a city publishing just moments ago, give you a flavor of what's happening on the south side. Not a game changer for markets from share power, but remind us on upside risk to inflation, that demand, downside risks to growth. Mohammed al Airin still with us Mohammed, I just want to finish on that with you. The downside risk to growth to counter the upside risk to inflation. Is that something we all need to be cautious of going to see year round beyond.
Speaker 3: Yes, And that's why Chair Pal had a speech full of optionality.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: I go back to what Mike McKee correctly said. It's not that the content was new. It wasn't. There was nothing in that speech that we didn't know before. Whether it was explaining what has been behind inflation, or whether it was explaining the range of policy possibilities and the risks and the need for risk management. All that has been said before. What was notable this time is that it was packaged slightly more hawkish than dubvish, and that's what people are picking up on. But ultimately, John, if we step back, the only thing he said is that what we know for sure is his belief is that two percent is the right inflation target and will remain the right inflation target. That issue is going to be hotly discussed in the next quarters as we get more and more data.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mohammed, and I think that device going gaway any tom soon, even if you haven Powell tries to put it to bad Mohammed. Thanks for famin us today. I appreciate it as O whys Mohammed al arion.
Speaker 1: It will be analysis and interpretation owning the high ground on that is Joseph Weisenthal and Tracy Alloway. They host a podcast od Loots. Alloway had to redo her fireplace mantle because the awards have come in so large. Yeah, they're piling up. I mean my Wisenthal already had a mantle that could hold three hundred pounds. Next joining us, Tracy Alloway from Wisenthal would not get out of bed this early this morning. What I love about your work back at the FTEN years ago is you own a perspective of London and New York and synthesizing the Western world and an exceptional Japan with Uwaita in attendance here in this YCC disaster. Just had to listen to his hawkish one. How does Asia interpret what we heard this morning?
Speaker 7: Well, I'm kind of confused at some of the bond market action that we've seen so two year yields going above five percent hawkish interpretation. But I'm on the Neil Dudda's side here, which is This was a very dubvish speech. Actually, Powell sort of gave a nod to the R star debate, the idea about whether or not the neutral rate of interest is structurally higher in the current world. But then in the next sentence he basically goes, but we have no idea what our star is anyway, so it's completely irrelevant.
Speaker 5: And they're talking about being at restriction.
Speaker 1: That's not a small matter, John, Yeah, that's not a small matter. This has come up a couple times today. The guy from New York City, you know, the private equity guy, whatever Paul is. He's not too big on the plugins of our.
Speaker 2: Start's tricy something you've discussed. This probably shouldn't come as a surprise, should it.
Speaker 5: I don't think so.
Speaker 7: To me, it very much resembles what we saw last month from Powell.
Speaker 5: It's very much a data dependent.
Speaker 7: Speech, which makes sense because you have two major data points coming up before the next FED decision. Why would Powell stick his neck out at this particular moment in time. And of course there is a lot of uncertainty about those long and variable lags as you were talking about, Lisa.
Speaker 4: And this is a problem right now for j Powell because he wants to bring things down, but he doesn't want to curtail tonymism too much. Do you think that it seems fair to view his speech as saying that rate cuts are not in the cards for a longer period of time next year, because that's maybe what he wanted to say in the implicit sort of tone, but not what he actually said.
Speaker 7: I think he'd have to see a real deterioration in the underlying data to justify a rate cut, and that's just not happening. We have a lot of sort of anecdotal data points about maybe consumer spending is starting to weaken, but we haven't seen any of that in the unemployment rate right now, said, I know, the tone of this particular Jackson hole is very different to last year, where Powell was talking about how we'd have to assume more pain in order to bring down inflation. But that said, it's still a really uncomfortable moment for central bankers because inflation is coming down in a way that they didn't necessarily expect.
Speaker 5: Right The Phillips curve says.
Speaker 7: That if inflation's coming down, the unemployment rate should be going up, but that hasn't been.
Speaker 5: What's happening, So there's still a ton of uncertainty here.
Speaker 4: This is essentially, while it is a global central banker is coming together, it's also essentially an academic conference, and you're here with odd laws to speak to some of the academic research. What are you hoping to illuminate in this whole shifting global structure?
Speaker 5: That was sort of the theme. Yeah, that's exactly right.
Speaker 7: So I know that the focus is always going to be on the sort of short term outlook for interest rates, but really Jackson Hole is about the long term framework of monetary policy. And one of the big themes that is starting to emerge is this idea of higher public debt and we've seen that born out in the Fitch rating cut. Recently, bond yields higher because of some concerns over the outlook for US fiscal health.
Speaker 5: And again, the unusual.
Speaker 7: Thing about this moment in time is that we are seeing massive fiscal spending at a time of low unemployment. That hasn't really happened before. And so I think there are a lot of people at this conference who are wrestling with that idea.
Speaker 5: In that dynamic, you and.
Speaker 1: Joe Wisvove Rockstar hours you're just sort of wandering, and you do your podcast, and you do it by piecing together conversations where Bloomberg surveillance is complete and total chaos twenty four seven. What's the conversation here you're most looking for into your next podcast?
Speaker 7: Thank you for assuming that all thoughts isn't constant chaos as well. Tom, Well, we're having you on later today.
Speaker 1: It count Please, it's a conversation you want right now at Jackson Hall.
Speaker 7: Okay, the big picture goes back to that bond Outlook. What does a world of structurally higher debt look like? Does it miss citate higher interest rates? And what new financial risks does it introduce into the system. So we basically moved from a system that was very much reliant on bank.
Speaker 5: Lending to one that is far more bond based.
Speaker 7: And how do you square a world where bonds really really matter with central bank mandates to bring down inflation?
Speaker 5: There's a tension there.
Speaker 7: You can't build the financial system on bonds and assume that they're going to be very low volatility and then try to bring down inflation and have higher rates.
Speaker 2: Tracy, this was great, good to have you here. Thank you, Thank you having thank you very much, Tracy Allaway, the host the co host of the Oddlots podcast. Joining us is Patrick Khaka, the Philadelphia FED President, Patrick good Monk. Let's start right here, not what Shaman Power said, but what your colleague over at the Boston FED said in the last twenty four hours that this resilience of this economy suggests maybe we might have to do more. You take a different view.
Speaker 8: Why so, Look, we have to get inflation down to two percent. We all agree on that, I mean everybody is. We're all committed to that. The question is how to get there. We are at a restrictive stance in my view, and we're putting pressure on the economy to slow inflation. The question is whether we need to increase the pressure. Just keep pushing, pushing, pushing, And I'm in the camp right now. Just keep the pressure going. Let this work through. And again the data may dictate that we change course or I change course. But for right now, what I'm seeing and what I'm hearing, particularly soft data, what I'm hearing I've been around my district all summer talking to people, is that the plea I hear is you've done a lot very quickly, right you've taken a lot of pressure quickly. Now let us work through that, Let the banking system work through it, let the corporations work through that. So that I agree with that. I think we just keep the pressure on and see how things turn out.
Speaker 6: JPL didn't really say anything new, but he did sort of cast it in a hawkish light, and he talked about how the economy is perhaps growing faster than anticipated and that could increase inflationary pressures. So what would it take to get you to change your view and think we need to raise rates more?
Speaker 8: If we saw that the decreases in inflation we're installing right that we weren't making that progress that we need to make.
Speaker 6: But what would that How would that manifest itself? Because people who calculate CPI the analyst suggest we're going to see it go back up, just essentially for mechanical.
Speaker 8: Reasons on the headline side, Ye, for sure, but we also were going to see shelter inflation come down, right that it's coming down now you see this with real time rents. So if service inflation in particular, or core service inflation, whatever you want to call it, supercore, if that continues to stall, then I'd say we have to do more, But again I really want emphasized we are doing something right now. It's not as though keeping rates where they are is doing nothing. We're actually continuing to put pressure on the economy.
Speaker 4: You said, Jay Powell just said that it was important to get inflation back down to two percent.
Speaker 5: That was unequivocal.
Speaker 4: Does it matter when I mean right now you can see in the dots that it's not until after twenty twenty five. If it takes till twenty thirty, does it matter.
Speaker 8: Yeah, twenty thirty is a long way off twenty six.
Speaker 5: We're going to get under four.
Speaker 8: This year, under three next year, and then get to two in twenty twenty five. So yeah, it's going to take some time. But what really matters, what I hear all the time is not just a headline, not just supercore, but think about the essentials of life, the things that people really need, shelter, food, transportation, energy. As long as they're moving in the right direction, Americans are better off, and we need to be committed to that.
Speaker 2: You clearly think with sufficiently restrictive. Other people think we don't. So let's go through that points. Unemployment is still three point five percent growth this quarter could come in at about three percent. What is the evidence that we're sufficiently restrictive? What can you actually point to beyond the soft date? So let's talk about the real hard data.
Speaker 8: Is starting to talk it. We are hearing story after story here.
Speaker 2: And you think that's connected to where interest rights are right now?
Speaker 8: Yeah, labor markets. Labor markets are definitely easing up. We're hearing this over and over again. It's easier to get employees. And the retail numbers I'm a little suspicious of because what we're hearing, for example, from a major supplier to the back of the school market is sales are not what they expected. So we are starting to see these early signs, but they're early, right, and so I don't think we need to react either way right now. Just let us ride a little bit. Let it, let's just keep putting the pressure on.
Speaker 6: Well, if you keep the pressure on, but even don't raise rates, how long do you need to keep the pressure on. When would you see moving away from the peak?
Speaker 8: Clearly not until next year at the earliest. And when next year again, the data will have to dictate that.
Speaker 6: Well. There is a question about if inflation keeps coming down. Real rates continue to rise and put additional pressure on the economy. Would you see the FED recalibrate its peak rate to keep the pressure steady as opposed to letting it grow. I realized this is a fine point.
Speaker 8: For the market area.
Speaker 6: And if you get the wrong if you say this the wrong way, they're all going to start pricing in rate cuts.
Speaker 8: Look, it's possible, right, but at this point, we really need to see inflation moving down, and they're saying early signs of that again, and I'm getting story after story from all our contacts, and it is starting to happen. But I want to keep rates where they are right now, and then we'll decide later what we do.
Speaker 6: What do you think is happening with labor market wages at this point, because that was the big concern, especially with Jpel's non housing services. These guys were talking about the United Autoworkers negotiations going on. Have we broken the back of rising wages rising at at too fast a pace?
Speaker 8: Too early to tell right now, but it does seem like what I'm hearing from all our contacts is that it is starting to ease, right. I mean, we're not where we were where midyear increases, they're there. Nobody's considering that. So we are starting to see some easy particularly in the service area hotels, restaurants, and so forth. We are starting to see it getting a little easier to get the table at the restaurant or you know. And one of the things that I think about, one of the potential risks is that when student loan payments come back in. I don't think it's a big economic issue. I mean, when you run the numbers, it not. But it's a psychological issue here. I've not gotten that three, four or five hundred dollars bill. Now I get it. And so I've been talked to a lot of people of that generation where saying, yeah, you know, I may have to back off some of my spending.
Speaker 4: Well, but this goes to this question of okay, well the savings are going to get borne down and then we're going to start to see the real economy expose itself.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: A lot of people have questioned that, But I am wondering what kind of neutral rate, what kind of you know, sort of longer term expectation for the FED do you expect in the new norm them all?
Speaker 5: What does it look like?
Speaker 8: Yeah, so We don't know for sure, right let's start there. We don't know exactly what that new normal looks like. But one of the things I think about is what's fundamentally shifted in the economy between before the pandemic and now? Remember before the pandemic hard to remember for all of this, right, given what we've been through, but we had low interest rates, low unemployment, and low inflation. What's fundamentally shifted? There have been a lot of things supply We're going to talk about this in this meeting. There's supply chain issues that are shifting and being re engineered. But fundamentally, I think it's plausible we can get back to that.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 8: I'm not predicting that right now, but it is plausible. So I think we have to realize that we lived in that world. We've proven that that can happen, and so could it happen again?
Speaker 2: Yes, sounds like a base case. When I listened to you, I don't know.
Speaker 8: I mean point, I'm not quite sure. But clearly we're going to get we think, and we'll get back to trend growth in a couple of years. We'll get inflation under control in a couple of years, and inflation and unemployment will tick up, but really in the flourish range back to the neutral rate.
Speaker 2: You've offered example after example in the last eight minutes. It's highly anecdotal. Is the Facebook now more important to us than US retail sales?
Speaker 8: When I step back and I think about myself, and I can only speak for myself. Right when we were going through the early part of the pandemic and we were saying that inflation was transitory, it was just used vehicles and so forth, what we're hearing, what I was hearing from my contacts was now, really it's more persistent, and I didn't factor that in. The mistake I made. If I made a mistake was I didn't factor that it's really soft data, that anecdotal data. But it's more than anecdotal data. It's what people are really feeling real time in the economy. Now, we've done a lot of things. I've done real time pulse surveys and so forth to get our get ahead of that. Now, I don't want to make that same mistake twice. And so what I'm hearing right now from those same contacts is things seem to be slowing more than the data showing that could be wrong, and that's why we have to As chair Pal said, risk management is an important issue here. But if they're right, if that soft data is right, then I think it really then just solidifies my view that we stay putting pressure on, not necessarily increasing right now to see how that all resolves itself.
Speaker 6: Nerd question for our friends on the trading guests out there, especially the bond guys. The balance sheet has been coming down, but very slowly because of the caps and the way that works. You haven't hit maximum reduction yet on a month by month basis, and at the same time we have seen financial conditions remain easier than you would expect. So the question is do you do more with the balance sheet because it has an effect on how tight the filese he is.
Speaker 8: At this point, I don't see us changing course on how we're reducing the balance Again, circumstances could dictate something else, but for right now, I think we just stay the course, keep that on as I said or many times before, on autopilot, just let it run, and if we need to adjust policy, we adjust that.
Speaker 6: With the bed country, well, there has been a question on the other side of how close you are to stopping balance sheet reduction when you reach the level of demand.
Speaker 8: Yeah. I don't think we're there yet, but we do clearly have to monitor that. If you go back to the last time we did this, we knew we were at that point where we needed to stop when we saw the market indicators, the volatility in the markets. We've not seen that yet, but we could.
Speaker 4: We have seen real yields climb significantly. Today five year real yields. Inflation for adjusted yields rose the highest levels going back to two thousand and eight. Are you watching that closely as an indication of the transmission mechanism at the balance sheet run off?
Speaker 6: Sure?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean that's one of many. It's also just a simple trading and things.
Speaker 4: Like the market and so forth.
Speaker 8: Not at this point, I mean, but it is clearly something we need to keep watching.
Speaker 2: Can I finish on this slightly provocative? Have you destroyed the mortgage market in America for a generation?
Speaker 8: I don't think so. I mean, well, it is clearly tough when you talk to bankers.
Speaker 2: Beyond tough people.
Speaker 8: First time home buyer really really hard because there's no inventory. Even if they could they could afford the mortgage, they can't find a home because people are locked into that low mortgage rate, you know, in their existing home. That's why I think we don't keep going with rates right, so that we can stay steady and at some point as we reduce rates, we can bring those mortgage rates back down. There's no question that's an isitiation.
Speaker 2: But we're not going back to two percent mortgages over thirty years, are we. So that inventory is offline maybe for a general less you're not there yet.
Speaker 8: Yeah, because what we're hearing from some of the home builders is they keep selling.
Speaker 2: How they're having a great time, having a great high's out a huge favor. We're talking about whether this housing market can really recover in the next several years. Given that this feels quite generational, This feels like a.
Speaker 8: There's inventory coming online, I can tell you in Philadelphia and across many cities I know, but Philadelphia, for example, a lot of multifamilies coming online in the next few years. So we are increasing inventory.
Speaker 2: Patrick, it's good to see you as always. Thank you, sir Patrick Harker, the Philadelphia Fed President. The first reaction there from Insight the Federals following that speech from Chairman Powell.
Speaker 1: What I'm going to do at Jackson Hall right now, as we begin in the sunrise of this important Friday, it's taking more international perspective. She is not here at Jackson Hall, but in Hurt and Saul, her institution, the International Monetary Fund, decisively is Crystallina Gorgheva joins us, the Managing director of the IMF, of a recent essay on what everyone's talking about, the fragmentation, the fracture of the global economy. Doctor Gergieva, congratulations on the essay that you and your team put together for foreign affairs. You speak of fragmentation. How urgent is the need for solution right now? What needs to be done now to begin to a more stable global economy?
Speaker 9: It is urgent, and that sense of urgency is lacking Tom. Why is it urgent? Because we have moved in a more shocked front world, in a world of more uncertainty, and in this world we need each other even more than before, and yet cooperation is in a retreat. What does that mean? It means that unless we wake up and we act pragmatically in the areas where we can find common ground and in the areas where we must find common ground, like the fight against climate change, we will drift into a world that is poorer and less secure. We have rundom numbers. Unless we wake up and we pursue this pragmatic collaboration, we are going to be losing about seven percent of global GDP in the long run. I mean that is like White transcend and Germany from the economic map of the world.
Speaker 1: Because of time, doctor Garg gave. It's so important I get this in this morning. I want you to speak right now to the four major central bankers assembled here in Jackson Hall. Ang your call this year is the five year caution of economic growth of your institution. You call it slobalization. How do those four central bankers assemble here get us out of slobalization.
Speaker 9: It is not going to be only the job of central bankers, but yes, they play a role, and their role is to be very careful in assessing how data informs their actions. We're going to see tom after a period of convergence in monetary policy action typening creates fighting inflation, some divergence. Because where the US economy is very resilient, I was listening to the discussion just before me, the European economy is not there is less strength in the performance over there. So central bankers will have to recognize that some specificity in how they approach the fight against inflation and how they link this to their role in supporting growth and employment. How they approach that is going to be a matter of thorough assessment of national data. Let me just make one point about the United States. What we see in the US is very strong demand for services, very good, but not good enough for the world economy because it doesn't translate into spillover for global growth. And this is why my main point is there would be some divergence in policy approaches across central banks.
Speaker 4: Crystallina is fragmentation inflationary?
Speaker 9: Of course it is why because so much how much did you take? If you take the main impact of fragmentation through trade, what it translates into is pushing costs of production up on a global scale. How inflationary it could be depends, of course on how that specifically reflects into cost structures across national economies in the world economy. But the pressure on costs and then through that on standard the living of ordinary people certainly comes when we fragment the world economy.
Speaker 2: Christin and I just want to squeeze this in. I've got about sixty seconds ninety seconds left on the clock. You've said the IMF needs more resources. Can you be a lot more specific about what that means, what do you need and where do you expect those resources to come from.
Speaker 9: Well, let's face reality, more short prone world means countries need to have more capacity to face these shocks. Today, global reserves are concentrated in a small number of strong advanced and emerging market economiests ten countries hold two thirds of global reserves and all the small medium sized countries hold less than one percent of global reserves. This is where the IMF comes in. We are the insurer for the uninsured. Today, our size one trillion dollars lending capacity is just not enough to be the buffer against future shocks that we all anticipate are going to be happening. And also what we want to see is reliance on own resources. We are discussing with our membership to bring the quarter resources of the fund again above fifty percent of our funding level. Today they are at forty percent. So we are talking about a not a minor increase. But I think everybody understands that this is a provision of a global public good. If the IMAS cannot hold financial stability in vulnerable countries, that is hurting not only those countries, it has negative skill over for the world economy.
Speaker 2: The IMF managing. All right, Christiana, thank you, it's got a hair from you. Thank you.
Speaker 1: This is a wonderful moment now as we go to that speech with the central bankers gathered here on yes, US economics, but of course international economics, and they will listen more to Barry Eichen Green and Berkeley than anyone here. He owns the high ground from golden feathers, his classic book on gold until what we see with globalizing capital, and now his intense focus on debt and the debt mess we're in. Doctor Ikon Green, thank you so much for joining us. How bad is the debt mess we're in?
Speaker 10: Well, I think it's a big change from the pre COVID days. Governments are going to be constrained if and when we have a global recession, if and when a bad thing happens, they have a lot less room to run fiscally because of the increase in public debts worldwide.
Speaker 1: As usual, you've been out front on this and the phrase that I hear from you is and you say it with respect to the institutional pressures and our political leaders. The modern medicine that we have, what is the more stronger medicine we need to take to get control of our debt in our ratios.
Speaker 10: I think we're going to have to learn to live with these high levels of public debt. That the advice policy makers are getting from the Bank for International Settlements in the IMF about bringing down debt ratios, that's unrealistic. We're not going to be able to grow out of these higher debt ratios. We're not going to have a more favorable real interest rate going forward then we've had in the past. We're not going to be able to run primary budget surpluses for long periods of time. So I think we're going to have to tiptoe likely through this problem and manage these heavy debts.
Speaker 2: Tips your words, manage. Other people might say this ends in disaster, Barry, what's the argument against that?
Speaker 10: For countries like the United States. There is a big remains demand out there from foreign central banks and the international private sector for US Treasury bonds. So I think the US government is an exception to the general rule in that it has room to run. Other governments are going to have to reform fiscal institutions, worry about fiscal transparency. Do all the things that the IMF and others have been recommending for years.
Speaker 4: Does it basically suggest that longer term yields in the US are where they need to be, that basically the term premium is going to be significantly higher, that essentially what you see.
Speaker 5: Is what you get.
Speaker 10: Well, I think the term premium can come down a bit, but not back down to pre COVID levels. I think where everybody understands that we're in a new world with higher interest rates, the question is how much higher? And I wouldn't be a pessimist about that.
Speaker 4: How much has the debt that the US is a curd in particular driven a lot of the inflation that we see. How much you can really basically write the book and say helicopter money actually does cause inflation?
Speaker 10: Well, I think the fiscal stimulus that we in the United States did in twenty twenty one was a contributing factor to the inflation, and there will be debate about that today because there were other contributing factors as well. The supply shocks, a variety of other things.
Speaker 1: Take your study of debt, your view on the inflation adjusted yield, which is maybe what the adults of pros look at, and bring it over to the Eichinggreen application of monetary policy. And there's a whole our starred debate in that. Are we going to move away from a two percent regime? And how do we search out an anchored level that is higher?
Speaker 10: Well, I think the Fed has to bring inflation down to two percent before it really opens that conversation we saw in this recent episode the importance of credibility, and credibility and two percent are synonymous for the time being. The only time you talk about changing the regime is when you have everything else.
Speaker 1: Let's go to Alahall at Berkeley to Brad Delong's office. You and I are going to walk in with a professor DeLong, and I'm going to say to both of you, with your academics and his politic more political view, what's the price of bringing inflation down to two percent? What's the cost of that to Americans?
Speaker 10: Well, so far, the cost has been minimal compared to the doom and gloom scenarios we heard about unemployment going up to five or six percent. So so far so.
Speaker 1: That imark you have been the arch optimist against doom and glue. And how do you respond to the doom and gloom that we hear daily from Lisa Bramwootz or that we hear out in all of economics. How do you respond to that American bloom that you fought against for fifty years?
Speaker 10: Well, look at what the Atlanta Fed now cracker is saying. The US economy is on track. There there's no sign of inflation on the horizon. Yet in this kind of assembly of economists, there has to be one optimist at LISTA.
Speaker 2: This is your name is reference to me.
Speaker 4: I just want to wonder, you know it? At one point is it unsustainable this kind of enthusiasm, this kind of growth?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 4: I mean, at some point you're not going to get down to two percent. I'm already changing to three percent two percent for quite a while, even by the Fed's own admission.
Speaker 2: Twenty twenty five, exactly after.
Speaker 4: Twenty twenty five, doesn't that reduce their credibility to some degree?
Speaker 10: They have to have a credible strategy for getting to So this is the classic. Give them a target two percent or give them a date, never give them both two percent?
Speaker 2: Can you think about where it came from? Is this really about some people in New Zealand in the nineteen eighties just coming up with a number. Is that what we're all doing here?
Speaker 10: That's exactly what we're all all doing here. But history has consequences.
Speaker 1: Can I see get?
Speaker 2: I mean absolutely absolutely dead?
Speaker 1: On the first time I think I met you, or it was like within the year I met you, some guy almost took a swing at you on a stage in Singapore at at G seven meeting. He was so angry with you. How do you respond to, OMG, the dollar's dead, ren mindy ascended? You throw a chalk at people at Berkeley when it comes up? How do you respond?
Speaker 10: No, at Berkeley, I don't hear it.
Speaker 6: But uh.
Speaker 10: That that kind of interchange. You get more invitations, do you get okay?
Speaker 1: You get some're speaking fees off that. Do you suggest a dollar is at risk given all these stresses?
Speaker 10: I think the dollar is not risk yet. So we in the United States can do things to damage its credibility, But nothing that happens at the Brick Summit this weekend will much as your work. I would have chosen to come here anyway.
Speaker 2: The word yet, the word yet is so loaded. Thank you. This is wonderful, Trady. Thank you very much, sir.
Speaker 1: Subscribe to the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Listen live every weekday, starting at seven am Eastern. I'm Bloomberg dot Com, the iHeartRadio app, tune In, and the Bloomberg Business app. You can watch us live on Bloomberg Television and always I'm the Bloomberg Terminal. Thanks for listening. I'm Tom Keen, and this is Bloomberg