Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Final Hour.
Speaker 2: It's a meet Friday. Just went out and inspected the Traeger grills. They look good. Steak fajitas, chicken fajitas. Nobody, absolutely, nobody has it better than we do. Right No, alrighty staut of the Day brought to you by Pennini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. More phone calls coming up. We've touched on a variety of topics, certainly the Lakers with JJ Reddick. We will check in with the Lakers, and the writer for the La Times, Dan Witki, covers the Lakers. We'll ask him if this is the right hire here, because we can point out a couple things. Oh, there have been guys who don't have experience and they've been very successful. And I would encourage you to look at the rosters that they inherited. Therefore it pretty much ensured that they were going to be successful. But then you also have Steve Nash and Brooklyn Derek Fisher with the Knicks, Jason Kidd with Brooklyn darn with the Lakers. Although I would probably argue that Darvinham was successful. He got his team to the Western Conference Finals. But then when things started to fall off a little bit, or maybe maybe the team started to notice that Darvinham wasn't making in game adjustments that needed to be made and therefore the strategy behind everything that it felt like they were getting out coached in games. And Darvinham got fired after two years. These coaches, after Phil Jackson, everybody lasted about two years. JJ Reddick got four. I'll take you back to a little over a year ago when JJ was on the program and I asked him the following question, I'm from wanting to maybe be a head coach.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean you you certainly missed the competitive side of professional basketball when you retire, and that's probably the biggest hitch. I'm loving what I'm doing right now, and I'm in a very fortunate situation that I can kind of wait and just see if there's anything that materializes that that's that's sort of a perfect fit. But you know, I've talked with teams now going on a year about assistant jobs, and I'm interested in being a head coach. I don't I don't have to start as a head coach. I don't have to start as an assistant. It doesn't matter to me. It's more just about the fit and the people that are, you know, at the organization.
Speaker 2: Okay, so he got four years here, Lebron, what's the over under two and a half years that he continues to play and maybe longer. He certainly hasn't had that much of a drop off here. And then you factor in his son, how long you know, does that reinvigorate him? Does he want to play longer? Or is it a hey, I got the opportunity to play with my son. Not everybody's all in on JJ Reddick becoming the head coach of the Lakers. Bill Plashke, the columnist for the La Times, didn't mince words last week.
Speaker 4: And I hope it's not JJ Redick, and I've written about that. He's he's not. He's not a coach. He's never coached before. I'm worried they're gonna go back to JJ with JJ Reddick. If not, I know they got this. James Barrego is on the A list. Why not Sam Cassell?
Speaker 1: Why not?
Speaker 4: In my opinion, why not go go get Becky Hammond? I'm serious? Why not to go completely outside the boxes there? Because there wherever's gonna coach her now is in the coaching for two years to get fired probably anyway. So that's it's so, it's so bad, it's so since since such disarray, Hell, why not draft Bronnie mcbrownie the player coach? I don't know.
Speaker 2: So that's a Bill Plashke. Now he said that last week before realizing who JJ Reddick may add to his bench. And he's gonna he's gonna be adding some experience here. And really, you're hiring a team. It's not a head coach. You're hiring a team, and it's a team of coaches. If Sam Cassell's coming over from Boston, if you're gonna have Scotty Brooks come in from Portland, maybe Jared Dudley from Dallas bench, maybe stan Van Gundy might be somebody. So you're hiring a group of people to help you coach and run the Lakers. And I like that. I like, you know, the infrastructure that he has here JJ Reddick on his own. And I go back to what I said yesterday, It is so difficult to be coaching a team like this that is analyzed constantly. It's like Mike McCarthy with the Cowboys. No matter what he does, it's not good enough, never going to be good enough unless you win a title. Well, here's the situation where JJ Reddick, who might not take criticism too well, might have rabbit ears hearing everything reacting to that. You're gonna You're gonna be analyzed, scrutinized constantly everything you do, every game, every every moment, lebron a d all of this, Bronnie, are you ready for that? When you get in front of the media, it's it's not like you're coaching in Santa Antonio. But I will say understanding Reddick. He is media savvy, but you also can't take everything personally to heart. People are going to be looking for stories. There's so many members of the media who cover the Lakers. You have writers who have left other parts of the country to cover the Lakers. With lebron the importance, and you're the Dallas Cowboys of the NBA. We're waiting for whatever it might be positive or negative, and it's going to be discussed every one of these shows ESPN, Fox, They're all going to discuss you every day. They discuss Aaron Rodgers every day, the Cowboys' salary cap every day, and they will cover you every single day, because that's what the research says. Play the hits, cover these teams, cover these stories every single day. He's going to be asked about this or people are going to scrutinize what he's doing. Now, he might do a great job, and then they're talking about you and upon way. But Dan wik is the LA Lakers beat reporter for the LA Times. And then I wonder, if you're JJ Reddick, you can't continue, Well you can't, you can? I would say you shouldn't continue to do a podcast with Lebron. Now I get it, big business. Focus on the main business, because if you're successful with that, that sets you up for other things. If you want to now you just beca't you were a broadcaster. I still love that. They part of the reason wink wink that ESPN fired Jeffvan Gundy as they were worried he was going to take another job, a head coaching job. So you bring in JJ Reddick and what's he do? He takes a head coaching job. To me, Jeff Van Gundy got let go him and Mark Jackson because they were not afraid to be critical of the NBA and officiating. Why is it you're going to fire those guys. But you love the TMT guys who criticize you far more than Jeffan Gundy and Mark j Did. It's like, we can't take that you're criticizing the officials. Meanwhile, hey, do you hear what Jack and Charles had to say? But that's a side topic there. And Jeff Van Gundy going to the Clippers now after being with the Celtics. Good for him, all right? Eight seven seven three DP Show MeMail address Dpadanpatrick dot com Twitter handle the GP Show Seaton. We have a new poll question for the final hour of this meet Friday.
Speaker 5: Let me update you real quick on some pressing matters here. Who lasts longer with the Lakers? JJ Reddick or Lebron James? JJ Reddick has two thirds of that book? Okay, all right, it's nice to see the confidence there. Yeah, who has a better first season? This is so JJ Reddick and the Lakers or Doug Gottlieb at you dub green Bay right now?
Speaker 2: Gottlieb holding on at fifty six percent? Way do I have Doug? Have I had Doug going to University of Wisconsin Green Bay? Stevens point, Oh, I think I got him coaching two teams. Oh that's okay. I'm so sorry. It's it's you, Dub Green Bay, our friends, you Dub Stevens point. They offered me an opportunity to go in there and play for the team. They did, Yeah, they did. But Doug said too, if I donated one hundred thousand dollars, he'd put me in a starting lineup. That's not bad. He's got to open up with his alma mater, right, Doug has got to face Oklahoma State to start his career.
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 2: Or is that a bad thing if you did it? How about a home and home with Oklahoma State because he wanted that opportunity, didn't get that opportunity. Now, maybe a home a home, that'd be good. All right? What else do we have? We have?
Speaker 5: We got two more for you. Who has the best championship parades? NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL.
Speaker 2: I'm not really an analyst when it comes to a parade? Not no, because they always they look silly. Have you ever been asked to host a parade on TV? No? But I would I would do like, uh, you know, maybe the Thanksgiving Day parade. It's a big deal. Yeah, I would do that. But that's fun and nobody's you know, hammered in the parade. Well people watching you don't know that, you know, but yeah, I to me, it's it's kind of embarrassing, how you know. You get these guys hammered jumping off the bus and then you got throwing a trophy over here, Brady needs help walking off a boat. It's uh, I don't know, kind of sad. You know, it's not it's not fun. I mean I think for those in the moment, but if I'm watching it, I'm not entertained by it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Paul, there's almost injuries. I remember a couple years ago there's like an athlete. I think it's I don't know the Chiefs who's running and he fell with the trophy the Washington Capitals maybe five years ago when he won the Cup. That was a very boozy parade. I remember, well Veskin was in a fountain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was wild. Yeah, but it's not I couldn't care less watching a parade. I mean, Celtics won, they got a parade today, but I couldn't care less. It's not something I'm interested in. But you know, if your team wins, you want to celebrate with them great and if you get to be along the parade route, have fun with him. Good knock yourself out. By the way, Speaking of Bronnie lebron James, Paul George Podcast P with Paul George had this to say with Ronnie James and the comparison to an NBA player.
Speaker 8: What's most impressive is just his his basketball sappiness, like his basketball, like you like he can do it all, Like I don't. I feel like he hasn't shown that he can really be elite at a lot of things. But I think he can be elite at a lot of things. Like I feel like he's like in that Derek White, And it was interesting that that's his comparisons that he wants to be like or coming out look like. But I compare him to like the Drew Holliday, the Derek Whites, like guys that are glue, guys that can go through everything on the floor and help you win.
Speaker 2: Okay, pretty high praise there. If Bronnie James is Derek White, all right, I'm taking him with the seventeenth overall pick. I'm not waiting until the second round here. Yes, yes, marm but a.
Speaker 9: Lot of this is best case scenario because earlier in that clip, Paul George said he hasn't put it all together yet, so this is best case scenario. He could be Derek White.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, I mean how many draft picks in this year's draft? Can you say? All right, he's going to be as good as Derek White? Like Reed Shephard of Kentucky. Is he going to be as good as Derek White? I don't know. He might be a top five pick.
Speaker 9: It could be Alice Caruso.
Speaker 2: Alex Caruso just got traded Oka see yeh, Josh Getty going to the Bulls getting a young point guard, Alex Caruso. It's a nice pickup for ok see, white guy for white guys. WHOA, I didn't I didn't see it that way. But named later? Yeah, well, Derek White would be the white guy to be named later. I guess.
Speaker 7: Alice Chris a good fender, right, Yeah, Papa shot once in a while.
Speaker 2: No, he's very very valuable, Yeah, very valuable, gritty, held in, held in high regard. He is a lot of teams like Caruso, Layer would probably like to have him back. Uh, I'm looking. So we got the parade today. You have hockey coming up tonight, Game six. You have Edmonton hosting the Panthers, you have the Travelers, it's the Pride of Connecticut. Some of the back room guys are going, by the way, hot dog eating contest on the Gambling Podcast. So Dylan the graphics guy was in there with Shaye and Irving h and also bad Larry was there with the Gambling Podcast. We set the over under I think at what ten and a half hot dogs in ten minutes? And uh, if you guys would like to guess how many hot dogs Dylan had during a ten minute period while he still had to give us who he was going to be placing money on in sporting events, Todd, how many hot dogs do you think Dylan had yesterday in ten minutes.
Speaker 10: I'm gonna say he came up just short, but by a little.
Speaker 2: I'm to say he got ten in ten. Couldn't get that left part. Seeing what about you.
Speaker 5: I'm pretty sure yesterday we had the over under at eleven and a half and Todd took the over by the way. Okay, that's okay, okay, I'm gonna say he had nine and a half, all right, Marvin, See he had seven Paulie.
Speaker 9: I'll go eight.
Speaker 2: I think he had six and a half. Wow, Marvin, you nailed that one. Yeah, only because you were in the room with me. That's crazy. I didn't even know that. I didn't want to say six and a bite. Yeah, that's true. He had six and a bite. Very very disappointing.
Speaker 9: He started going down maybe around like four and some change.
Speaker 2: Well, the next time, I think we're going to have who can eat the most tacos, oysters or oysters, yeah, oh boy, or dumplings. So we're gonna do that, you know. I think Shyan Irving's going to be involved with that. But yeah, six and a half. Dylan wants to be a competitive eater. Then yeah, yeah, no, it be not very good. So some of the backroom guys are going to go to the Travelers the golf tournament there.
Speaker 5: Ay As Scheffler, isn't it, Zender Shoffley, Colin marcaw That's yeah, solid field right there.
Speaker 2: No Rory, but yeah, maybe somebody will match Jim Furicks fifty eight that he had on that golf course Game one of the College World Series Tennessee. The number one pick here, number one seed Texas A and M Tennessee roughed up Florida State and so they're in the final. Uh, that'll be fun. That'll be on the mother ship Copa America. Christian Polimsic here the area. Ac Milan's Christian Polisic. Right, Yeah, he bawled this year. Yeah well yeah, twelve goals, eight assists. How about the fever in the sky. It's Caitlin Clark and Angel Reese. Here we go.
Speaker 7: Again, Sunday, four pm Eastern.
Speaker 2: So Monday, everybody will have an agenda to talk about with jealousy and hatred and racism and whatever whatever is going to be attached to this. Maybe maybe we'll just talk about how great the players are. Relax, No, it's not gonna happen.
Speaker 10: Yeah, why did it takes a long to have been played?
Speaker 2: They're like the Celtics in the seventies six ers that they played every Sunday back in the seventies. Braves at the Yankees and you could put this in parentheses a potential World Series matchup, that's true. It is so the Yankees playing great. So that's just some of the things that you slide into your slider Sunday. Our good friends at King Zawaiian. They want to let you have your weekend your way, and that's what King Sawaiian does. You get together with family and friends and enjoy the weekend together. Make every Sunday a Slider Sunday. When we return, we'll check in with the Lakers. Did they make the right choice? Here? Back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 11: Hey, it's me Rob Parker. Check out my weekly MLB podcast, Inside the Parker for twenty two minutes of piping hot baseball talk featuring the biggest names of newsmakers in the sport. Whether you believe in analytics or the I test, We've got all the bases covered. New episodes drop every Thursday, So do your sofa favor and listen to Inside the Parker with Rob Parker on the iHeartRadio app or wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 2: Slide into the weekend with our partners, King Sawaiian. They want you to get together. They're with family and friends and enjoy the weekend, making every Sunday a Slider Sunday. More phone calls coming up. He's Dan Woyking. He covers the Lakers for the La Times and kind enough to join us this morning here. All right, how's morale in Lakerland?
Speaker 12: I think people are excited to reach the finish line on this dand you know, it is one of these types of things like once you once you get to the destination, you know, people are excited. There's a general sense of excitement once you once you get your guy, even if the path may have taken you in different directions right away. I think that they are at least presenting, you know, a fully excited, I'm optimistic sort of view. They know there's rits, they know there's tremendous rit in this, but I think that they feel like they've hired a Ford thinking coaching prospect and they think it'll pay off in the short term and they think it'll paypen in the long term.
Speaker 2: But when you look at this, it almost feels like it'll be two different coaching careers. You're going to have the Lebron coaching career and then post Lebron coaching career. How does he navigate that?
Speaker 12: Well? That always works, right Dan, When you have to do two things at once, and I think it is you. I have not heard anybody use the phrase two timelines, right, which was sort of made famous by the Golden State Warriors. And yes they won a championship, but two timelines were the real issue for Steve Kerr and Bob Myers in that office, where at one time you're trying to maximize the time you have with your veteran while off developing. You know, the Jonathan Wiseman, the Kaminga. I'm trying to James Wiseman and John the Kamenga is the most vooty for the world, et cetera. The Lakers don't have that level of young player on their roster, but there is. They are trying to maximize the Lebron years right provided he resigns, which I think is the expectation mostly around the league is that he will. But they're they're trying to maximize whether that's one year or two year, three or whatever. But they also need while that's happening to be building for tomorrow. And so that means, you know, Austin Reeves taking another step forwards. That means, you know, really tapping into the physical potential of early hachimorrow looking at young players like Max Christy last years first round draftic Jalen Hood Shapino. They picked seventeen in this draft, you know, the player that they could take there and really not just say like we're going to develop these guys. I think, you know, what I'm hearing is that there's going to be an increased sort of infrastructure investment in development, right, better tack better, better strategies on that front end, And I think the thought is that jj Reddick is going to be more open minded to that stuff. He doesn't really have any of the scars of coaching in the NBA, right, so so you could put whatever in front of him, he should give it a good look. And then I think the other part of it is roster building, Dan, you have to create pathways for these young players that you draft to play. And that's where it gets really tricky because you are trying when you have Lebron James and the way that they've gone about roster building and free agency is like they just grab the best available veterans you can get on minimum deals. You know, we would do the show probably in July tenth. We talked about what a great job Ropp like it did because you got Carmelo Anthony on a minimum you know, he got those kinds of guys on minimum deals, touring Prince last year on the cheap stuff like that. Well, as they move forwards into this new sort of CBA landscape where you know, drafting and developing is gonna matter so much. Not only do you have to draft developing a play, then you have to give them runways to play and runways to actually learn and do it on the court. And that's where it gets tricky because your clock is also picking with Lebron James the Western Conference, the margins are so slim, so it's the small needle that's gonna need to be threaded by Digiretick.
Speaker 2: But also his assistance. You know, you're hiring a CEO and you have that infrastructure and these if you're going to bring in Scotti Brooks who's been a head coach, Sam Cassell with the Celtics, Jared Dudley with the MAVs, I mean you're gonna uh Rajon Rondo. So you're getting some younger, I guess voices in there to be able to mesh with these players and help develop them. Do we know what's official as far as assistant coaches.
Speaker 12: Nothing is official at this point. I think you know that that list as a list I reported a few weeks ago. It's been re reported here. I think it's like it was like a target pool.
Speaker 13: You know.
Speaker 12: Jared Dudley I think is going to stay Dallas. You know, we'll see what happens in terms of the type of job he gets. Dam Castell I think is going to stay in Boston. That you know, charls Lee moving through Charlotte, there's an opportunity there for him to slide up the bed into the number two spot. I mean those two, you know, those are the two final teams, right, like, those are pretty good situations. Yeah, you know, Scott brook is the name that I've heard a lot. I think the most interesting thing I've learned in is that the planet to not have just one former head coach on the front road, to have at least two, which would sort of mirror what the Lakers did in twenty nineteen with Frank Logel when they put him around Jason, well, they didn't put him around. They added Jason Kid and Lionel Hollins to that staff, and they really had sort of balance in terms of voice. And I think, you know, for a first time head coach, that's so critical to have to sort of know what you don't know, right And I don't doubt that will occur with JJ, to know what you don't know, and then to also be able to say, like you know, to delegate responsibility and to build a staff that both balanced experience but also willing to work with the guy who's going to be learning on the job.
Speaker 2: Dan Whitki covers the Lakers is the beat reporter for the La Times. What about the lebron JJ podcast?
Speaker 12: A great question. I can't imagine it's going to continue, sad right, like we might get a season finale episode, maybe the helicopter or you know, like manages, like like who knows what's gonna happen here? I think though, this is knowing JJ a little bit, and he is interested in a lot of things, right, Like this is the guy who is interested in broadcasting, He's interested in wine, he's interested in golf, he's interested in very fancy suits. He's gonna have to adjump, You're gonna have to learn how to be You didn't quarter them like all the rest of these guys in the NBA on the sidelines. Now, he's gonna have to learn how to focus in that energy. And I think I think that's what the Lakers think they're getting, right. They're not hiring a podcaster. I think they they view it as that they are hiring somebody who is a bright basketball mind, who is serious about this. I think that's one of the things and sort of the discussion throughout this process, right is I reported this today. You know, Lebron and Jj obviously have a good relationship. You can see it on camera. It's hard to fake that type of stuff, right, They've got good rapport. Their before the podcast end didn't really exist, Like this is still a relatively new relationship. Like you know, I've even been told this much that, like they didn't really hang out ever before this. I mean, there were competitors in the NBA, kind of an anomaly even though they're around the same age, Like Lebron had been in the league for four years. The first time a rookie JJ Reddick played against the James. But but I think interesting enough to to coaches in Corona that Lebron James has played with or against that will be coaching him in the NBA. But but I think their relationship to me is it's critical to what's going on. But but like you said, there's an expiration date to it and whether or not they I just don't think they can really continue the show. I guess that's my long winded way of thing. It seems like an unnecessary distracting. They're paying him to quote, they're not paying him the podcast. His divestment from his podcast Empire is sort of an interesting media side note for this to see kind of how much he steps back and kind of what happened to because it's been really successful for him.
Speaker 2: If he doesn't have the podcast podcast with Lebron finish that sentence.
Speaker 12: If he doesn't have the podcast with Lebron, James, Lakers have more questions, I think about his ability to coach.
Speaker 2: Would he still be the guy that they would hire.
Speaker 12: I think it's possible. You know, is a key figure Dan and all of this someone that Rob Polink has a lot of respect for, someone who Robbed Plink is known for a very long time his life. Attended Duke University, but Rob, you know through Kobe Bryant in t USA basketball, and look, I think there's a very real way that even without the podcast, Mike you know, would have said, you know who's thinking about coaching and would be really good at j J lending and and I think the questions though Dan would be like, well, how Lebron has pulled himself back from this prof that you know he doesn't want to be as involved in it. How do how do we gauge whether or not Lebron would even be able to do this? I think what the podcast can show you and if you watch certain clips. There was a clip that I treated the other day that really stuck out to me was they were talking about analytics and three point shooting right and Lebron James at a certain point most players will push back on analytics and staid like, well, what happened when you know a team misses twenty eighth straight like the Houston Rockets did in the finals or in the Western Conference finals, And JJ Reddick like like Razor Quick was like, as it happened since and Lebron kind of chuckled that this you know, Knight Boordau or whatever he was drinking was like, all right, you're right, And it was like it was an example of like watching JJ like this s arm and you know, win an argument really quickly on the spot. Now, how that plays in the locker room at halftime when you're down seventeen to the Charlotte Hornets and everbodys sign who knows like that that that is a huge question. But I think, you know, to be quite fair, like there was going to be elements of question with that with Dan Hurley too. I think they wanted Dan Hurley first because generally had the experience he's been in that position. But I think if we look at things like track records and stuff like this, I mean, the transition for college coaches in the NBA is really rough. Transition per a guy doing it from behind the microphone d NBA could be really rough. It's all projection.
Speaker 2: Can the Lakers at the introductory press conference say this is the guy we wanted all along, ladies and gentlemen, JJ Reddick.
Speaker 12: I think I think it'll be more so some version of we were blessed to have found multiple candidates that we thought were incredible. I think would be I'm stealing from my own wedding bowsing. I remember when I said at violence, I said, honey, you're the right person at the right time, and then after that the three hour break, we were able to calm her down, we were able to finish off. I think I'll be some version of that, right, it's a great question.
Speaker 2: So Brownie uh is going to be a Laker? That more likely now with JJ their foregone conclusion.
Speaker 12: You know, it's interesting. I don't know if it makes it more or less likely. I think that, you know, fifty five does feel like this floor, right that provided that's when the Lakers picking the second round, currently they could move up, but provided that nothing, they don't have to go up and get him. I think it's yeah, I think it's possible. But look, I think that they're also dan right, Like, we know there's going to be a lot of questions about sort of JJ and Lebron relationship and stuff like that, and if the Lakers care about things like optics and they feel like optics would get in the way of a player development, which potentially it could. You know, maybe in that way it makes it less like it's I can tell you that they have tried their best. The people that I talked to in like their scouting depart right, and now granted they're not the one to alt point making the decision. But the people who are actually scouting the players have tried their best to remove Lebron from the equation when it comes to Browning James, and there are things that they like about the player that would make them comfortable drafting him at fifty five in a way that quite frankly, like a lot of different people. If you look at the track record of players drafted at fifty five, they hit rates are really low, do everythings like this, But the Lakers are seemingly comfortable not only drafting Browning games, but they take them at fifty five, not signing into a two way deal, which Rich Paul has been very open and adamant that he won't take. So the Lakers seem comfortable with that part of it. But they also know that that it would have to be a big, long developmental process. So maybe maybe that's where you know JJ's ability and they think he'll be a good developmental coach, you know, in that way, maybe it doesn't make more likely. Dan, I have no idea on this one. There's been a ton of smoke. It is unprecedented territory where a top sixty player is sort of the story of the draft. Yeah, but here we are.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Bud. Great to talk to you again. That's Dan. Why the La Times? Yep, there's a lot of moving parts here and taking Bronnie James. I'm going to take four pies to the face, apparently because I had Bronnie James going in the first round. God, if he goes in the first round, it might be one of the great days of my life. Four pies instead, I'm going to take four pies from the Dan ask because nobody, nobody believed in me. It's all right. It's called content, Todd, it's content. Yeah, you should try.
Speaker 10: All different kinds of pies.
Speaker 2: We're going to mix it up forty time. It's all right. I mean, if you want to present me with an out, you can, but I'm not asking for one. It's just been suggested because Paulie said, do you want an out or would you? Would you entertain it? Yeah, paul you could keep.
Speaker 7: The bet you have first round for Bronnie James, or you could wipe that away and you say he's drafted by the Lakers or the field. M Is that more or less interesting?
Speaker 2: Uh? Well, I just I just made the first round interesting by saying Bronnie is going to go in the first round, but then most people probably only watch the second round though, like the second night. I can't believe they're having two nights. It's like, get it over with now, this isn't the NFL. Let's just get this draft over with because nobody knows anybody in this draft. Yes, Todd, what if you head.
Speaker 10: Your bets and go the other way and have a bet where if he doesn't get drafted at all, we each get two pies to the face.
Speaker 2: I would do it where I got the Lakers or the field, But would anybody take the field with Bronnie James, Because that I mean, you got to have somebody to take the opposite. I can do it, but then if nobody's taken the opposite, then I have to stick with my original bet. I mean, I'll take it. In fact, you know what, I don't even want an ount. You take it like a man. This is content, and that's what I stand. I've got, Prince, thank you. I appreciate that. Thank you, and it'll go down to pul they're still applauding. Yes, thank you. You know what again, thank you. I forget. That's what it's all about. That's what a host does live up to your word, live up to your promise, live up to the bet Todd, thank you. Take a break back after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAP.
Speaker 2: I look forward to hearing this music because that means I won't see Todd for a couple of days.
Speaker 13: Here we go, Marvin, ever since I was a tiny ball. Don't need no care there, don't want no Tommy, I no want o work.
Speaker 2: Stat of Today brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program. Couple of phone calls in here before we set sail for the weekend. This day in sports history, PAULI, why don't we do that this day in sports history? Because sometimes we cut you short and you have to hurry, so we don't want to do that. I'm glad to do it. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Nineteen thirty nine, Lou Garrett quit baseball due to illness. Nineteen forty two, Ben Hogan the golfer lowest score at that time in a major golf tournament. He shot two seventy one seventy two holes. Australian John Landy ran the mile in three minutes and fifty eight seconds, the new record in nineteen fifty four. He gets very little credit in history because he didn't break the four minute mile that was Roger Banister a month earlier. But John Landy get a little pub litt Late nineteen sixty three, Bob Hayes, the track star and ended up being a cowboy wide receiver ran one hundred yard dash in nine point one seconds. And lastly, Oh nineteen ninety seven, the Women's National Basketball Association.
Speaker 2: Made his debut.
Speaker 7: The New York Liberty beat the Sparks six fifty seven, nineteen ninety seven.
Speaker 2: On this date. In nineteen eighty six, Bo Jackson signed a contract to play baseball with the Royals. Also, the Lakers beat the Pistons by three in Game seven to win their second straight NBA title. And I think that's it. Let me see Robin Florida. Rob, thanks for holding what's on your mind today?
Speaker 6: Hi Dad, they're on DNEX a long time. First time. I had an idea of a way to put Pete Rose out to the Bombs and those guys into the Hall of Fame posthumously. You know this is a two fold solution. Once it gives the stats only guys is the okay, and also the integrity of the band during the player's life is maintained. I just kind of thought that was an idea and see if it floated.
Speaker 2: All right, Look, I don't want to have it's either this or that. I'm open to it. I'm not big on these guys who benefited because I put him in there with other players that I grew up with, you know, Johnny Bench, Hank Aaron, Willie Mays. You know, there's so many players, but then they benefit. You know. Look, I don't like a Rod Be in the face of baseball with what he did to baseball, but you know that's on Fox in the Mothership. If you can't come up with somebody better, then all right, fine, I don't watch. I feel bad for Jeters sitting there, But as many people have told me, you need to get over yourself. Yeah, probably do so I'll just get rid of steroid testing and there to be okay, right, I mean, we have it, let's utilize it. Maybe what we see is real, that's all. And look, I'll go to my grave feeling that way guys benefited. Bonds are passed, Hank Aaron All Time Home Run Champ. It's not it's not right, not right, Michael and Nashville. Hey Mike, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 14: Hey Dan? Five? So Dan, I know you like dark humor and referencing that chemo joke with Todd from earlier in the week, I think I might have you beat. I'm also part of the Dead Dad's Club. And quick reference for this joke, My dad died on a first date and he choked to death. So my girlfriend at the time and I were walking down Bourbon Street and she said, I don't think you can truly handle my dark my real dark humor. I said, Oh, come on, lay it on me. It can't be that bad. She said, well, I have a really good joke about your dad, but if I tried telling you, I would choke.
Speaker 2: Wow. Well, so did you marry her?
Speaker 14: No, we aren't together anymore. But I dropped my jaw and I.
Speaker 6: Was amazed by how quickly she had that.
Speaker 14: Ready.
Speaker 2: Wait, your dad died on a first date and he choked to death.
Speaker 14: Yeah, he did at a restaurant called Folks Folly in Memphis.
Speaker 2: First date, last day, Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, Wait, what was the Yelp review on that when two stars great service for service to die for. Thank you, Michael.
Speaker 7: He didn't have to pay for the day cost.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he didn't have to. She had to pick up the check. I guess. And I was at a Chinese restaurant in New York City when a gentleman had an episode. He was having a stroke and the restaurant was packed in Chinatown. People were stepping over the man while he was on the floor. I style, Yes, ty Lou was on the floor and everybody was iversent there. Willie in West Virginia, Hi, Willie, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 1: Listen?
Speaker 15: Dan, trying to get a hold of you old like trying to get a hold of Chave people. I've been trying to call in and wish Mitchie welcome back from her LEBA absence of her relegation, So welcome back part time. Secondly, Dan, if I come out of retirement and knocking on that door.
Speaker 2: You're relegating, thank you. Willie doing his Charles Barkley impersonation, knuckle ahead, knucklehey, Ed Ryan and Sarahsota. Hi, Ryan, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 7: Hello?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, not that Ryan, Yes, Ryan.
Speaker 16: No, not Ryan from Honolulu. Hey, you just want to save four pies to the face on this scenario. Since the NBA draft is.
Speaker 17: Not well stacked today, I believe what if one of the other teams picked Bronni first, since Lebron's a free agent, and then Lebron goes over to that team that picked Bronni.
Speaker 16: And there you go, he has another championship.
Speaker 2: You know, what we brought up was that you could draft Bronnie and hold him hostage and then say to the Lakers you have to give us whatever. But I don't know if you want to cross Rich Paul Lebron James agent there, and I don't think that Lebron is going to go. You know what, where did Bronnie get drafted? He got drafted by Brooklyn. I'm going to Brooklyn. I don't think that's going to happen. Chris and Idaho, Hi, Chris, Hey, Dan.
Speaker 18: First time, long time.
Speaker 6: So I was.
Speaker 18: Just thinking one way the Baseball Hall of Fame can get these players in and kind of meet in the middle. As old school video games, they used to not have players' names but their number and position. Like Bill Belichick was never in a video game of Coach Patriots, so maybe they can do like number twenty five San Francisco Giants.
Speaker 2: Well, I appreciate that. It's if they put him in, they put him in, and I'm not going to lose sleep over it. It just feels like baseball's trying to move fast. Leave that in the in its wake, and that it never happened or it wasn't that big a deal when it happened. Yes, Marv.
Speaker 9: In the general public, seven fifty five, seven fourteen, six, sixty five, twenty one, you know those numbers. I know Barry bonds home on total, but most people have no clue. It doesn't mean anything.
Speaker 2: Let's go around the room. If we learned anything, Todd, would you learn today?
Speaker 10: The Lakers realistic goals should be to try and be a four or five seed, maybe second round of the playoffs. Not to be a playoff team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not a in play in team. Seat No, O Connor, would you.
Speaker 5: Learn Denwyck He may or may not have been on stage with Kenjil Kamar this week.
Speaker 2: We don't know. I know, O boy, that was in it. You had some ball players up there, Yeah, I had some ball players up there. Yikes, Marvin, you're not big on championship parades. No, I'm not No, they get sloppy. Paul, what'd you learn today? JJ?
Speaker 7: Reddick's middle name is Clay Todd.
Speaker 2: Would I learn today?
Speaker 10: Doug Gottlie will be making his UW Green Bay coaching debut against Oklahomas.
Speaker 2: Alma Model, Oklahoma. Say fun. Sliding into the weekend brought to you by our partners King Sawaiian and they want you to get together with family and friends and enjoy the weekend, making every Sunday a Sliders Sunday. My thanks to all the dan ants, the backroom guys, and you the audience for making this possible. Monday through Friday, have a great weekend. Talk to you on Monday.