Speaker 1: Fellow conspiracy realist. We are returning to you this evening with episode a classic interview we did back in twenty twenty with good friend of the show and personal friend of ours, the legendary Payne Lindsay.
Speaker 2: Indeed talking about a super cool show called Radio Rental you might be familiar with, where in Pain and his team find incredible, weird stories on Reddit and various other places and then recreate them along with input from the actual people who lived these stories.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, and it's usually the actual person telling you a story in first person about what they went through, and dang, is it cool. It's still one of my favorite shows.
Speaker 2: Guys, all grounded by the wonderfully bizarre Terry Carnation. Let's just address him like he's a real human, because he really. He is portrayed by the incredible Rain Wilson, But boy does he inhabit that character holy and it's impressive and a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: We're a vast, we contained multitude. It can be more than one person in once. That's where those guys have some depth. So let's roll the.
Speaker 4: Tape from UFOs to psychic powers and government conspiracies. History is riddled with unexplained events. You can turn back now or learn this stuff they don't want you to know. A production of iHeart Radios How Stuff Works.
Speaker 3: Hello, welcome back to the show. My name is Matt, my name is Noela.
Speaker 5: They call me Ben.
Speaker 1: We are joined as always with our super producer Paul Mission Controlled decad. Most importantly, you are you. You are here, and that makes this stuff they don't want you to know. This is a this is a special episode for us. We're pretty excited about this. We have a returning guest today. Today we're joined by our colleague, longtime friend of ours, Paying Lensy. That's right, the CEO, co founder of Tenderfoot TV.
Speaker 5: Pain.
Speaker 1: People will recognize you as the creator and host of podcasts such as Up and Vanished, The Atlanta Monster, and your latest project, which is why we wanted to talk to you today, Radio Rental.
Speaker 5: Thanks, yeah, thanks for being on the show man. Thank you, guys. I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Ye yeah, yeah, we've been listening to Radio Rental and with the lights on, well, well yeah for me to start. For me, I actually try and get to the darkest place I possibly can.
Speaker 2: I'd like to listen to it in my sensory deprivation.
Speaker 5: That's the best place.
Speaker 3: Actually for me, it's in the car at night after I've driven home from work, like it's getting late so early now here in Atlanta where we are, by the time I'm getting home, if it's like six seven something like that, I'll sit in my car and keep listening to an episode on purpose because the the show itself, and we're going to tell you exactly what it is after this, but the show itself has such an eeriequality to it that it almost intensifies the experience. If you're just alone in a car and it's kind of cold, I don't know, I would.
Speaker 5: Spooky driveway moment.
Speaker 3: Well, the purpose there is to like in my mind and for me personally, is to it is to enhance the experience, like to to get a an even further sensory experience from something right. And to my mind, what Radio Rental does with the sound design and the way the stories are told, it does give you this sensory experience of being there in a lot of these things. So let's let's let's start off by pain tell us what Radio Rental is, you know, as an overview, and then we'll start getting into some of this stuff.
Speaker 5: I mean, basically, at its core, Radio Rental.
Speaker 6: Is just weird bizarre stories, kind of an homage to Are You Afraid of the Dark, And it's presented in this weird way where Rain Wilson is playing this video store clerk who works in this old kind of eighties retro video store called Radio Rental. Radio Rental means it's like British Cockney slang for mad or you've lost your mind.
Speaker 3: They'd say you've.
Speaker 6: Gone radio rental and rhyme yellow and British Cockney rhyming slangs yea. And so it's my first anthology series where each episode is a new story, and there's about two to three stories in each episode, and they're all true stories. They're all real stories, and it's the real people telling you them. And so there's other stuff like this out there where people do retellings of stuff, but we put a lot of effort into actually going to make the connection with these people, vetting them as much as we could and flying out to them wherever the hell they are, and sitting down and interviewing them and making this kind of short story cinematic experience out of it.
Speaker 1: And there's a lot of work that has to go on behind the scenes, right, like just for the process questions before you get into some of the real spooky stuff. How from germination of the idea, genesis of the idea, to actually getting the first episode out? How much time did you and your team have to put into, as you said, finding these people, vetting them, and speaking with them. It seems like it must have been a pretty involved process.
Speaker 6: It was like every other podcast I've made where I was like, this is a cool idea, let's do this, and then like a few months in, I'm going, this is a lot harder than I thought it was gonna be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, And.
Speaker 6: So this was that on a whole new level where I'm very reliant on these people to want to do this with me, because I mean, I can have I can find a really great story, but if that person is not interested in telling me that story, or maybe they are, but they sound really weird on the microphone or whatever, right, So there's so many factors that I can't control, which makes it kind of scary. Initially, I was looking all over the place and I didn't really even know where to find these types of stories or really what was going to merit a radio rental story to begin with. And I knew that in these first batch of episodes that whatever stories we put out there that is going to be what radio Rental is.
Speaker 5: It will always evolve from there.
Speaker 6: But I need to set the standard for what is a radio rental story. And you know, it's not every single story that you hear, it's not every scary story. It's this kind of in between area where you know you know it when you hear it, like you hear another story. And if you've heard radio Rental at this point, if you hear another story out there, you would know, Okay, that's probably a radio renal story. And so I wanted to kind of coin that term and really kind of set the standard for you know, what you're experiencing and hearing. It was very difficult just to kind of find these people and make contact with a stranger on the internet, with someone we heard user name, and convince them to let me fly to where they are and meet them in a hotel, tell and record them for my podcast.
Speaker 1: So let's dive in a little bit deeper to something I was thinking of the entire time that was listening to the show, which is out now and available wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 5: Do you want to point that out?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the full first season, right is, it's.
Speaker 1: All out and this is so we don't want to spoil too much of the specific episodes, but we do want to talk about some of the things. And one of the things that haunted me throughout listening is the this subtle, this subtle play.
Speaker 5: Of fact and fiction.
Speaker 1: You know, this is a lot of this feels like there's some modern folklore elements to it, sure, which is why I love that you point out are you afraid of the dark? You know there's this this this kind of chilling campfire.
Speaker 5: It could be true element.
Speaker 1: These are true stories because you did find again, this is the part we should emphasize pain You did find real people who told you these stories.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: Were there ever times where you felt the little line between like fact or fiction sort of blurred or did or was it always to you was always clear? Or were there are times where you were like, I don't know if I should be alone in a hotel room with this person.
Speaker 6: Oh wow, I mean there's definitely this line of where I mean, there's a few stories in there for sure where you can't really rationally explain what happened, and just kind of structurally with what I was trying to build here, I wanted to have a good balanced mix of stories. I didn't want to come at you with the most unbelievable stories ever and just shock you where people are like, nah, this is just like unbelievable stories. I don't believe any of these stories. I wanted to hit you with a real thing that happened, definitive from the beginning. And so every now and then you get this little twist where you're like, ooh, I don't know, like I don't know how to.
Speaker 5: Don't I can't explain that, yeah, but I don't not believe it.
Speaker 6: So and that's how I feel about some of these stories where it's like in this line of I don't know how to explain what happened, but I believe this person, but like what happened, And so you're you're thinking.
Speaker 5: About it like scratching your hand, like what the what the hell happened.
Speaker 3: I think there's a pretty good example of this in that first episode that we actually got to hear a sneak preview of a while back. But man, it it's one of those that is a true story of something that really happened for sure, and then the story itself as it's being told and as it's kind of revealing things as you go, you don't even really you don't think like, maybe this isn't real, maybe this isn't and then it hits you right at the end, Oh, this is a true thing that occurred. I remember this from the news. So let's talk about I'm just I'm calling it the flight. I don't know what you called it in the within the episodes, but we hear about this man's extraordinary experience doing something very ordinary, which is just taking a flight. You can you tell us a little bit about that story?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean it starts off he's a kid at the time, and he's flying from Paris to Miami. It's in December of two thousand and one, and he was very familiar flying. He flied, He's flown several times with his brother and his dad was in first class and his brother and him were in the back and mid flight, all of a sudden, this flight attendant starts screaming the word no. And obviously anyone's screaming on an airplane, Nope, not a good thing.
Speaker 5: Even if they're screaming, Yes, it's still.
Speaker 6: Exactly even that, you're like, come on, give me a Yeah, screaming on an airplane not a good thing. And so eventually that escalates to even louder and he sees this kind of scuffle going on, and all of a sudden, someone passes up this fire extinguisher and hits this dude in the middle square in the face, and he's like, what the hell is going on here? Chaos just erupts on the flight. Turns out there was a terrorist on board. His name was Richard Reid. And this is right after nine to eleven, so you can imagine being on that plane. I mean, that would be terrifying as hell. And this guy, Richard Reid, he was six foot four, over two hundred pounds. He had a bomb in his shoes and he was attempting to light it with this box of matches. And the flight tenant saw this, probably assuming that he was trying to smoke a cigarette or something, not light a bomb.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just to.
Speaker 6: Please, but that's ill too, you know, Yeah, sir, please don't smoke a cigarette.
Speaker 5: And that escalates and she reaches for the matches.
Speaker 6: This guy bites her on the hand and it just turns into a complete show on the plane, and eventually they subdue the guy. Everyone kind of steps up to be a hero, which is amazing, and they tie him up with phone cords and belts and all kind of stuff, and a doctor on board injects someone with a I think he's dies a PAM or something, just to calm him down, and they divert the flight. They landed and SWAT team comes on board. All of a sudden, it's all over the news and this is right after nine to eleven. Absolute craziness. And this is literally why you take your shoes off at the airport.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean yeah, they Richard, that was a real dick move.
Speaker 3: Well, it's it's incredible to me because the people on that flight had no idea how dire that situation was, even though they saw that maybe he's trying to light something on his shoe. That's weird. Why would he be doing that, Like, let's not do that could be a bomb, But he had C four in his shoe that would have obliterated that play.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, quick question. Can you detonate C four with the match? Doesn't it require some sort of like electric So he.
Speaker 6: Had a whole like, I mean, there's a picture of his shoe online somewhere. They kind of gutted it, this big black boot. And I mean he had some sort of wiring system. I mean, there was a fuse He's gonna light. I'm not sure exactly how it worked me. It didn't work, thank god. I think they said it only didn't work because his shoes were damp. One it had rained that morning, and two he was just sweating, just being nervous. I mean, it's crazy to think that, like if they had gone off, the entire planets just up in flames, and it's just no one lives right.
Speaker 3: Oh for sure.
Speaker 5: C four.
Speaker 2: I mean that'll take out like a like a whole building. I mean, if you have enough of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, insane, Yeah, C four Just for background, we don't need to go into why I know this, but.
Speaker 5: C four, as we do, it's stable.
Speaker 1: It's stable enough that if you just put a if you just put a match by the substance, or even if you shoot it with a gun, it's not going to explode. You do need that system that you just described paying, which is the one of the scariest things I think for people on the flight who were, of course watching the news afterwards where they figured out, well, sure this person clearly had some mental issues, but they still had it together enough to build a shoe bomb. You know, we joke about it now, but we only joke about things like that because that was a real thing. And to your point, Matt, one thing that stuck with me about that is hearing the story. We're put in the pov of that person and we don't know what's happening either, and the way that the way that the narrative plays plays out. I also had that moment at the end where I went, you know, for lack of a better phrase, I went, oh, I remember that actually happened.
Speaker 5: And that's that's something that had.
Speaker 1: Me thinking too, like when we talk about the fact in fiction, and when you're talking about the emphasis you put on having this like, let's have this demonstrably true thing in the very from the jump, because now every other thing that happens, we're all waiting for that moment.
Speaker 5: Where we go, oh wait, oh no, oh man. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I gotta say another thing that was I think incredibly important about that first story is it's terrifying now in today's age, how we have so it feels like we have so many events like that that we start to forget them, and we shouldn't. And so maybe the best maybe the best way to uh, to impact people with that or to get the best moral is the one that you just so perfectly described, which is and that guy's the reason we can't wear shoes on plane. You know, I've looked.
Speaker 5: I'm still pissed at Richard for that. Yeah, me, absolutely, Look, I don't even have laces. I have to catch a flight later today.
Speaker 3: So it reminds me of that.
Speaker 2: Thing in Arrested Development, where like he's got the one armed guy who always uses to teach his kids a lessityes And that's why you always leave a note.
Speaker 3: I want to add really quickly here. There was a twenty fifteen article I remember seeing an NBC, but I'm not sure exactly who spoke with Richard read again, but he expressed regrets, like tactical regrets about what he did. Uh and I'm.
Speaker 2: Tactical, like you should have done a better job of blowing.
Speaker 3: Up the plane.
Speaker 5: And then he wished he did a better job.
Speaker 3: This is a crazy this is a quot friend says, I do have some tactical regrets of a sort which I won't go into here, but I don't regret losing my freedom.
Speaker 5: Okay, dead eyed robot like Jesus.
Speaker 6: Physical, enjoy your males, Yeah right, enjoy your one hour.
Speaker 5: You can't go to Chili's anymore.
Speaker 3: So, Well, he goes on to talk about the Charlie Hebdo thing, and he's like, no, I don't think that's a tragedy. I think it's a tragedy that people can belittle other people's beliefs in that way. Like, oh, okay, okay, we'll move on then, thanks.
Speaker 1: We'll pause here and return to Radio Rental after a word from our sponsors, and we're back. We can't really spoil this show no matter what we talk, can Well we are a little Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well that's where we're talking about one miss out.
Speaker 3: Now, Yeah, that's one episode in episode or that's one story in episode one.
Speaker 6: Right, there's a lot of stories, and there's at least two in every episode.
Speaker 5: Anthony is over a dozen in the season.
Speaker 6: So I mean, even when you think you've got it figured out, you don't, because we're trying to confuse ourselves while we're making this.
Speaker 5: Anyone, everybody's confused.
Speaker 1: One one story that stuck with me, that actually that I went back and re listened to and thought about for a few days is the story about the person who keeps receiving messages as someone that's closer and closer and closer to.
Speaker 5: How basically that like?
Speaker 1: I that that felt so black mirror esque. Yeah, you know, and it feels like that's the other thing. I don't want to be too repetitive, but that that's one of the ones, especially where I thought I.
Speaker 5: Could really happen.
Speaker 1: I gotta go beef up my where is my phone number on the internet?
Speaker 5: I need to watch out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that's also one of those things that feels a lot like that folklore story that maybe we've heard before.
Speaker 5: You know what I mean, we're familiar calling from inside the house.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well where you going in and interviewing the person. It's like, uh, now, I you know, have to listen to this story and be as objective as I can, but ultimately just take have this person take me through this story as clearly as clearly as possible. Sure, and the way the way he tells it just great. Oh god man, it's creepy.
Speaker 5: That's yeah.
Speaker 1: With that one especially, that's one of the tales where I thought, and you know, like full disclosure, we all know each other outside of the show as we do like we we are actually friends. This is one of the ones where I thought I should I gotta ask pain, like, you know, maybe not in front of people were asking me if I was an actor because that was really good, and he was like, is.
Speaker 5: That a voice actor? I haven't asked you, but that guy, No, he was great.
Speaker 6: I'm telling me he was. He was funny, he was well spoken. I mean we actually it was Mike and I who were in there. It was in Phoenix recording this guy. I think after we recorded him, we're like.
Speaker 5: Do you do radio exactly? I mean, do you do podcasts?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 5: But he's like no, but you know, I get that a lot.
Speaker 6: And he's just kind of one of those guys who was just I mean, he's the kind of guy who would engage with the stranger, right. So he's kind of you know, chipper and funny and just you know, just kind of brightens people's days and says witty things and you know, not afraid to say what he thinks.
Speaker 5: So, which is just that person.
Speaker 6: And he's well spoken, and he told it and what I thought was a pretty comical way at times.
Speaker 5: Yes, but yeah he was. He was amazing.
Speaker 6: He's like, he was literally exactly what we were looking for for this show. Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: And when we talk about the show, I guess one of the things we should do a little bit of quid pro quo clarice stuff here is we mentioned some things that we we found, uh had a lot of staying power with us as listeners. I have to ask, and it's totally all right, there's no wrong answer here. I have to ask, Man, is there any anything that you that you covered or that you found while you all were creating Season one that stayed with you? Like anything that you know you left and a day, month weeks later you said, man, I don't, I don't.
Speaker 6: Know there's Uh, there's actually definitively one story that really bothered me.
Speaker 5: I don't like to think that I'm desensitized to any of it. I think that I'm I like.
Speaker 6: To look at it as if I've just gotten better at compartmentalizing this stuff. Sure, okay, but like there's very few things that really scare scare me. I don't like paranormal stuff just because I'm like I don't know how to deal with that if that ever came into my house, you know. But those kind of stories are also easy to kind of write off if you don't believe in that or something, So you know, they're not always the scariest as some people. To me, the scariest story that bothered me the most in the whole season was a story called Laura of the Woods.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 6: I don't know if you guys heard this one, but the basic synopsis is this kid, he's ten years old in this small Indiana town and he's playing in the woods by himself with his gi Jones, and all of a sudden, he gets this overwhelming just feeling of fear that someone is looking at him, someone's watching him out there.
Speaker 3: And there's this like three story house pretty close to them.
Speaker 6: Right there is there's this like house in the neighborhood that's like I mean, they called it like the ghost house or something. It was like the classic haunted house also in the neighborhood that no one knows who lives there, and you know, you never see him go in and now, but you know someone's in there. Everyone knows everybody but these people, right, And so he's playing by the creek right outside of this house, and he gets this overwhelming fear, a feeling of just fear, and he turns around and he sees this girl who's standing there, and as he tells you the story, your first thought is that this is a ghost because it's so surreal. It doesn't make any sense, right, this person's out there. She looks really weird. She's younger, but she has this weird hair, and her outfit doesn't really fit her right. But either way, he becomes friends with her, and you're like, okay. And so he spends several weeks that summer playing with her out there in the woods.
Speaker 3: And like physically doing things with.
Speaker 6: Her on the swing and you know, just physically playing out there in the creek.
Speaker 3: Even she showed him what a cigarette is.
Speaker 6: Right one day, she was like, hey, I want to show you something. She took him to this tree and she had carved her in am in it Laura. And she put her hands a little hole in the tree and pulled out this pack of marble red cigarettes and taught him out of smoke. And he felt a little crazy, like all bad, Oh man, I'm doing something real bad. And she chiefed like ten cigarettes he smoked maybe a half a cigarette.
Speaker 5: Probably coughed his gut stead bite puked afterwards.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but you know, he he became friends with this girl, and you know, he told his sister about it, and they're like, okay, they got a little girlfriend in the woods.
Speaker 5: Whatever.
Speaker 6: And then one day he went out there and she was just gone, just nowhere to be found. Weeks went by, months went by, never saw her ever again, and he was like, what happened, you.
Speaker 3: Know, yeah, where did she?
Speaker 5: God, you move whatever?
Speaker 6: And she had told him that she lived in that creepy house, right, she told him that he that she lived there on the third floor, and that she was an only child, and you know, she had a mom and dad who lived with her too, but she was the only child and she was homeschooled. So he thought, okay, maybe she's back, and maybe she got in trouble or something, or she's just back in her house. Anyway, school starts back up again and he goes back to the public school, and all of a sudden, that house, that creepy house, it goes up for sale, and so everyone of the neighborhood's like, I want to go see the inside of this house, right, and he's like, mom, we have to go in here.
Speaker 5: Also, I want to see if Laura's in there, right, like, where's Laura?
Speaker 6: And so they go to this open house right and the mother is giving the tour and he sees what is obviously her dad and then what is obviously her mother because it looks just like Laura, like almost exactly like her in the face.
Speaker 5: So he's like, okay, there has to be your mom. You know, where's Laura?
Speaker 6: And so they're going through the tour and then they stop on the second floor and the lady's like, yep, and that's the whole house. And he's like, I know that there's a third floor because I know that's.
Speaker 5: Where Laura lives.
Speaker 6: And his mom asked the lady it was like, hey, you know, like I'm so glad to finally meet you. We've been here for years and we never knew who lived here. It's you know, we're so curious. And she was like, yes, sorry, we don't want to leave the house much after our daughter died a few years ago.
Speaker 5: And he's like, holy shit, well what or who was I playing with in the woods.
Speaker 6: And then the mom does this really creepy thing where she looks at him and says, what's wrong, boy, It looks like you've seen a ghost.
Speaker 5: And he's like, stop, chill.
Speaker 6: And so all of a sudden, his mom and his sister both looking at him, like, what the hell have you been playing with in the woods?
Speaker 5: Whatever is going on? You can't go out in the woods anymore. You're in trouble.
Speaker 6: And so he said one time he broke the rules and he did go back out there because he was convinced that Laura was being held captive in the house, that something bad was going on.
Speaker 5: It made no sense. There was no way it was a ghost. The third floor makes.
Speaker 6: Sense, right, she was being weird, the ghosts comment, and he physically touched her. He smoked the cigarettes with her, right, And so he goes out there one day and he looks up at the house and the mom's just on the third floor looking down at him, just staring at him, and he said, it scare the sh of him.
Speaker 5: And he never went back after that, And.
Speaker 6: So for decades he lived with this story where he's like, you know, what the hell happened? He told a few people, and then years later he was back in that same property because one of his family members and his uncle bought the property nearby, and so like they were out there in the woods, very close to where that area was in that house, and someone in his family just brought up, hey, remember.
Speaker 5: The whole Laura the Woods story. He's like, oh yeah, yeah, yeah. They're like, let's go see it, man, Let's go see that tree.
Speaker 6: And says like, all right, whatever, And so he takes his whole family over there, and as they kind of wind through the woods, he sees the tree Laura carved in it. He walks up to the tree, pushs his hand in the hole, pulls out a pack of Marlborough's Red cigarettes.
Speaker 5: Decades later, cigarette still in there.
Speaker 6: Wow. Everyone in his family's like, okay, this this is terrifying. And he's like, okay, what was my childhood? What was going on this whole time? And he said that weeks later it was on his mind every day and he was just having this really vivid nightmare one night and he basically woke up and came to the conclusion that he had this nightmare where he's walking through the woods and then he saw Laura sitting on a bench and then he like taps on the shoulder and she turns around and looks at him, and she grabs her hair and starts pulling on her hair and starts coming off, and it's a wig. And it was literally the mother the whole time, pretending to be a little girl in the woods. And he's once he kind of snapped, I guess into reality and realized what it was. He kind of realized that he knew this all along, that he and he was just somehow suppressing it or something. And it was I mean, for decades it was a mystery. But to me it was the scariest because it wasn't a ghost. What's scarier than a ghost an old lady pretending to be a little girl in the woods because she's like snapped because or something out of grief or whatever. Right, that's to me really scared me. And the guy was so genuine. It's a real story, and just like the way he was talking about it, I just that's the one I just couldn't shake.
Speaker 5: I was like, this is just gives me the I don't even know it was like.
Speaker 2: But it's like that wouldn't have been in the news or anything. How do you find this guy?
Speaker 6: I found this story on Reddit and what's funny is actually actually Mike found it on Reddit and it didn't have that many likes even. It was just kind of just buried in some subreddit I'm not even sure which one. And I saw in the comments that some guy said, hey, that's my story. You stole my story. This didn't happen to you. I originally posted this on some other random like band's website, like in their like forum, and so we go to that, and sure enough, this guy posted this story years earlier. This was like back in twenty ten, this guy posted this, and I was like, what are the chances this guy gets back to me? And sure enough he did, and I was like, man, this is like the scariest story ever. I hope he doesn't bail. And literally he messed at the hotel and the first thing he said was, hey, guys, not gonna lie. I almost bailed in the lobby. I was like, dude, just because he was like having second thoughts on should I tell this story?
Speaker 5: Like should I? You know, is this dumb? I was like, no, man, this is like, this is a genuinely scary story, and I believe you. Let's tell it.
Speaker 6: I mean, like, that's the thing about you know, some people, you know, if they're like doubters, might want to say, you know, this story isn't true or you know whatever, but like to be honest. On the other side of this, the production side of this, most of these people were very reluctant at times to tell all the details because they are real stories and they're just like any other interview subject to experience something scary, they're like, yeah, no one's gonna believe me, or you know, it was a horrifying experience that they're you know, cautious about reliving.
Speaker 5: You know, that's really what we're experiencing most of.
Speaker 6: The time, is like people being like, I don't know, they're not just chopping at the bit to tell me their story for radio rental, right, right, exactly, futal experience that it's kind of scary, right Yeah.
Speaker 1: And there's one there's one thing that I respect avenously is I know that you and your team did did a lot of fact checking too, like does this match up.
Speaker 5: With this chronology? Right? Absolutely?
Speaker 1: And what's interesting about Laura and the Woods in particular, which goes to something that you mentioned, is this absolutely this absolutely could happen, and until there is a crime committed an actual crime, there's no there's no reason law enforce would be involved. It's not there's not a law against dressing up as your deceased child.
Speaker 5: Yeah, how would you write it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's take a quick break and have a word from our sponsor and then back with more from pain lendsy.
Speaker 3: And we are back. Can I bring up a story that it feels very similar to this to me. It's one that's just titled ham and cheese, like it's it's just a ham and cheese sandwich or whatever you exactly. I was written terrifying, So it's a perfect it's a perfect story for us to discuss on this show. It's it's about a man who's working as a sandwich I forget the title of it, but he makes sandwiches with subway right, yes, and he's just at work one day. He says he lives in kind of a CD part of town, so people are a little cautious, but it's not, you know, terribly scary out there. He's just at a subway, right, and he's going about his every day. Some dude walks in and I don't I can't remember exactly how he describes him. All I remember is he looks. I think he's got like dark dark features, like dark.
Speaker 6: He was middle Eastern, okay, and he said he described him looking a little bit like him, not like exactly, but kind of same kind of dark features, uh you know, dark eyebrows, yeah, thing.
Speaker 3: And kind of a younger man. And the one thing he really noticed was the man always kept his hand in his like his waistband in the.
Speaker 6: Back, yeah, behind his back, kind of thumbing his waistband, Like, what are you doing back there?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 6: And he got this vibe when he walked into just like just kind of instincts like something's not right about this guy, Like, you know, is.
Speaker 5: There a gun behind his back? Is there a knight?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 5: What is he doing?
Speaker 3: Yeah? And he's being really quiet and just you know if he's going to say, if he says anything, it's quick and and that's it. And the dude is super nervous there making. He asked him, you know, what do you want? The dude just says ham and cheese.
Speaker 5: Or ham and Swiss and Swiss, yeah, Swiss.
Speaker 3: And so you know, as a sandwich professional there, I forget this artist. Sandwich artist artist, he's making the sandwich and everything. And then he has to ask him, do you want it toasted?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 3: And there's this moment where he knows he's getting this vibe off of this guy, like something's wrong.
Speaker 5: Is this going to be a robbery?
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly totally, And he he has to ask him, do you want it toasted? And he knows that to toast it. If he does want it, He's got to turn his back to the dude for a little bit.
Speaker 5: Wait, they toasted subway. I thought that was only quiz exclusive man been toasting in California somewhere. This is in La somewhere, Okay.
Speaker 3: So so he asked him this and the guy's just like, yeah, fine, whatever, Yeah, toast it. So he turns around to do this thing. Are our protagonist here is really really nervous and there's nothing on this sandwich but bread, ham and Swiss, and he just turns around to do He's like wrapping it up to put it in the toaster, and for some reason, his nerves get to him, everything gets to him, and the sandwich falls, right, he drops the sandwcharps the sandwich man, and it lands in a very certain, a very certain way.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 3: It's almost like a pattern with this.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he just kind of like as soon as he dropped it, which he'd never done in a thousand times, and he drops the sandwich and like right as he's dropping it, it's like time slowed down or something, and this overwhelming rush of deja vu kind of hits him. And so as the sandwich is falling and the way the cheese landed, he was like really kind of taking note of what it looked like and was like, just had this dejau vu. I've been here, I've seen this before a thing. And like right after he gets out of his own head, he looks up because he's like, oh shit, that guy's here. And he's just gone, like not there at all. Didn't hear the door open or close. Had only been a couple of seconds maybe, And his first instinct is where is this guy? So he runs out in the parking lot. There's not even a car in the parking lot. There's nothing there. He even goes around the corner. There's just no people around. Right now, He's like, that makes no sense. How did that happen? Like, I mean, I guess he ran. Was there a getaway car?
Speaker 1: No see in the restroom or something that would be the only other option no.
Speaker 6: No, nowhere to be found. And he's like, okay, whatever, right, weird enough, but it gets weirder, Yeah, because I think it's a week or so.
Speaker 3: A little while out. Yeah, and he's back, you know, at work doing his thing and here's the door open and looks up and it's really strange because it looks like pretty much the same guy but older. Yeah, like really really similar almost, if not the same guy, but older, Like yeah, discernibly older. Right, Yes, dude comes up ask for a sandwich? What does he asked for?
Speaker 5: Ham and Swiss.
Speaker 6: He's got that same vibe to this, just kind of like, okay, the same vibe that the other guy gave him as soon as he walked in and then we said hamm and Swiss. He's like, okay, what's going on? But I mean also, you know, common sandwich. But then when he noticed him thumbing in his waistband, yeah, he's like, oh, you're kidding me, right, Like wow, what is this person doing?
Speaker 5: Is he messing with me?
Speaker 6: Is this it?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: And so he gets to the part where he has to ask him if he wants it toasted, and this, to him is like the drum roll ultimate test. If I'm gonna die or if this is just the weirdest thing ever, if he says yes, I'm gonna die.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And so he asked the guy do you want it toasted? And he's just like, nah, I'm good. And he's like, oh, okay, cool, So he's good.
Speaker 5: It's all good.
Speaker 6: Is fine, and then he goes through the checkout process and he goes it's kind of tangent about how and I guess there's some tax or something in California if you want it.
Speaker 3: Or for hot food.
Speaker 5: For hot food, if you wanted it toasted.
Speaker 3: It's been cooked. Basically, if you used energy in order to.
Speaker 5: Write cook the food, it's like ten cents or something.
Speaker 6: But they have a conversation about that, and then the guy kind of gives him a snark remark back and was like, you know, I would have paid the tax. It's not why I that's not why I didn't it come on, and he was like yeah, obviously, and so he's kind of like whatever, and he pays for the sandwich, and then he walks to the door and he's just turns around and looks at him, and he kind of gives him this all knowing grin, and he just says, I still want you to drop it and then walks out the door. It's like what and he said, it literally just scared the out of it.
Speaker 5: Beautiful.
Speaker 1: And then, for a background for anybody who's not too familiar with the Sandwich Change Subway, a lot of people probably hearing this story, hearing Radio Rental and thinking, well, doesn't he have co workers or something? Not really subway is yeah, the subway is notorious for having one to like a maximum of three people, you know, totally, totally, So Souders said, you know, if I'm paraphrasing that, the mark of a good story to him is that when the story is over, you don't want it to end. You want to know what else happens to the characters. And that's one thing that I think is powerful about this this story in particular, because like everybody listening now to this episode, listening to Radio Rental is probably going to say, well, what happened to la Sandwich guy?
Speaker 5: Is like, is he all right?
Speaker 3: So I wanted to pose it to you guys, like for potential possibilities of what happened there, and we you know, assuming that this is an absolute true story and it happened the way this this person said it happened, right, So is it possible that it's like like a father and son who are incredibly similar and like the son told him a story. What do you think? Is it a time travel situation or is it a.
Speaker 2: Really elaborate kind of stalking kind of like troll kind of situation that's him?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. Yeah, maybe, but why did he look so different and so much older only a couple of weeks later?
Speaker 1: And elaborate prank sounds a little Rube goldberg Ess for this, a little like the mouse trap game. But the first thing I had thought of was, you know, a familial relation uncle son, father son, something like that, given the age difference.
Speaker 2: But to what end though, I don't understand, Like, like what what's the what's what are you accomplishing?
Speaker 1: We travel to La a lot man, that place is crazy, that's a weirdo. Yeah, but that the familial relation could also explain certain physical habits like tucking one arm back.
Speaker 5: Just a major coincidence, right, maybe maybe, but that's the thing.
Speaker 1: You know, that's uh, there are like we can we can all rationally accept one to two coincidences, right, but as a coincidence as they accrete over the course of something with the similarities the sandwich, even though I think we're all being pretty fair in our skepticism, Like you pointed out pain, You're like, well, it's a common sandwich, but they have they make many different kinds of sandwiches. So we've got physical similarity, right, We've got physical similar mannerisms, same sandwich. We've got what appears to be a reference to the earlier situation.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 1: One of the questions I would ask is did the door ding when the guy opened it and walked out, because we see him walk out. She remembers no sound of the dan in the first time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the first time. So yeah, I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's a it's a almost like trying to figure out the nuts and bolts behind a magic trick.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, Yeah, I did have one printed question. He is in California, Yep, A certain substance is legal there. He is at work, Yeah, Like, were you high?
Speaker 5: He said he wasn't.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, because that that moment, I'm not saying I recognize this moment or identify with it, but the moment of like something happening, like oh man, I just dropped the sandwich I was making for somebody, and I watched it hit the ground, And it's intriguing to me for some reason or another. If in that state, I could imagine that it takes longer than you thought, Like you spend more time staring at the cheese than you thought totally, and maybe you're like tuned out a little more. That dude just like takes off and you're just like, oh man, this feels weird. Wait where did that guy go?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Yeah, And this guy was totally willing to accept that as what happened, right, He's not like this had to be some ripple and time. He's like, you know, rationally he's speaking. It was probably a guy who was gonna try to rob him. In the beginning, he freaked out and like didn't realize how long he looked at the ground and was super nervous in his own head. And the guy just darted out of there quickly and just got the hell out. And then the next week or two was just a super strange coincidence. And that guy has no idea how much it terrified him, but it was really kind of just the way that it felt to him. It was like you know, and maybe he just played it up in his head, because I mean, the guy when he looked at him leaving the second time, he just said he had this vibe, this feeling about him where he's like, gotcha, you son of a bitch, And he was like, it just felt like that to me. Maybe that's in his own head, but like it was really just the feelings and the way that like his own sensory was kind of going on off, coupled with all the coincidences and just the strangeness of it that made him feel like maybe it was something more.
Speaker 5: Maybe it could be something more, but like what and he doesn't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think that that ambiguity too, is a huge part of it, because everybody has had We've all had some moment in our lives where something at the very edge of the map of things we can explain occurs. Right, And you know, as people are listening to this episode, we're probably hearing stories. As a matter of fact, you know what, right to us, right to nol Paine, Matt Paul and I with your own strange stories.
Speaker 5: Definitely.
Speaker 3: Yeah, are you guys still accepting stories.
Speaker 5: For the future?
Speaker 3: We are.
Speaker 6: We've had a bunch of amazing submissions. We have an email if you want to send them. It's just your Scary Story at gmail dot com. So if you have what you think is your radio Rental story and you want to tell it, then we'll see what happens.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, well, you know we're we're getting close to time here. I do want to bring up just before we close here, there are some stories in there about real encounters with killers. Oh yeah, in in Radio Rental, and I'm not going to spoil those because those are some of the most impactful stories within the show, and for me, we can. I just want to mention some of the names. So, like, if you're interested out there listening to this and you want to look up some of these killers that I was somewhat unaware of before listening to this. You guys touch on Mark Goodou, the baseline killer.
Speaker 5: Yeah in Phoenix.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there's a story in there that is so freaking creepy.
Speaker 5: That's one of the scariest ones. I think.
Speaker 3: I completely agree. I mean, talk to you stop, okay, Yeah, who was that, by the way, and who said can I talk to.
Speaker 6: So the lady that I was interviewing, she was really sweet and she had a great voice, and she just went into the character and was like, yeah, I went, you know, open the window, and.
Speaker 5: He just said can I talk to you?
Speaker 6: And so she that's her ddit and we just kind of like altered her voice a couple of times to kind of make it, but she whispered it several times in.
Speaker 5: Her interview and I was like, Wow, it was creepy hearing her just imitate him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's not right, And that's a story. I don't want to spoil any of that. It's just it's there's another story about another serial killer that ends up getting encountered in Baton Rouge, in Bad Rouge, where there's that moment where this guy could have been picked up by police that night. If things that would have gone one way, he could have also killed this person's girlfriend that night. And so when you think about just the concept of multi universes, which we like to have talked about a lot on this show, where all of these different things are occurring, you know, somewhere out there within this realm that the story that you have exists in this version of our reality where again I won't spoil it, but what happened happened in that story.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, totally.
Speaker 3: It's crazy.
Speaker 5: So what our Pain and Matt talking about. We won't tell you, but.
Speaker 1: You can learn for yourself when you dive into radio rental. The first season is available in its entirety now wherever you're listening to podcasts, wherever you found this show, probably and we guarantee you it's a wild ride. Also, I love that we mentioned this earlier. When I hit it again, you may end up being part of a part of the narrative in subsequent seasons.
Speaker 5: If that is, you have a story of your.
Speaker 1: Own and you email Pain and his team in the meantime. Of course, Paint as always, thank you so much for being so generous with your time. Man, Sure coming on, It's always a pleasure. If you have not checked out Up and Vanished, then do check it out. If you haven't checked out Atlanta Monster, do check that out.
Speaker 5: Those are both available in their entirety.
Speaker 1: You can also check out uh, the the second iteration of Monster Matt and are you okay if I if I plug this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sure, let's do it.
Speaker 1: It's a Monster Monster Zodiac which features our own Matt Frederick in the.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's called Monster the Zodiac Killer and last thing, I'm just gonna go for it. Monster DC Sniper is going to be out right now if it's if it's early January, so go search for it and subscribe. It's it's really great hosted by Tony Harris. He's a word winning journalists. Okay, I'm done.
Speaker 4: Done.
Speaker 1: It's amazing and that's our classic episode for this evening.
Speaker 7: You can't wait to hear your thoughts.
Speaker 5: That's right. Let us know what you think.
Speaker 3: You can reach.
Speaker 2: You to the handle Conspiracy Stuff where we exist on Facebook X and YouTube on Instagram and TikTok or Conspiracy Stuff Show.
Speaker 3: If you want to call us dial one eight three three std WYTK. That's our voicemail system. You've got three minutes. Give yourself a cool nickname and let us know if we can use your name and message on the air. If you got more to say than can fit in that voicemail, why not instead send us a good old fashioned email. We are the.
Speaker 7: Entities to read every single piece of correspondence we receive.
Speaker 5: Be aware, yet not afraid.
Speaker 7: Sometimes the void writes back conspiracy at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 3: Stuff they don't want you to know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.