Speaker 1: Since the release of Stefan Morant's story, there have been some exciting new developments. This is a re release of his story with brand new content. In the late eighties and early nineties, Stefan Morant and his best friend Scott Lewis were dealing drugs for local New Haven, Connecticut Kingpinn Frank Perezi, who was about to go to prison on a weapons charge. When Perizi asked Scott Lewis to take out a larger role in his business while he was away, Scott refused, a decision that altered the course of his and Stefan's lives. On October eleventh, nineteen ninety, former New Haven, Connecticut alderman Ricardo Turner and his lover Lamont Fields were shot and killed while they laid in bed. Detective Vincent Rouchi is believed to have pinned this double homicide on Scott Lewis. At Frank Perzi's request, Rauchi pressured Stefan Morant to implicates Scott Lewis in a murder. He knew nothing about a false statement that Stefan recanted the very next day. However, his refusal to participate in Scott Lewis's wrongful conviction sealed him to the same fate. Rauchi coerced and incentivized another street dealer, Ovil Ruiz, sending Scott and Stefan away for seventy years. Eventually, it took an FBI investigation and the help of law students under Professor Brett Dignam to untangle Parisi and Rauchi's web of lies, setting Stefan and Scott free after both had served over twenty years for a crime they didn't commit. This is wrongful conviction. Welcome back to wrongful conviction. Fasten your seat belts and listen up, because the story of Stefan Moran includes a tangled web of a drug gang, a politician who turned up dead with his male lover in his bed, a corrupt detective who was in on the drug dealing as well and who ended up framing you, Stefan not to mention a false confession, an incentivized witness who we know now was mentally ill and who lied through his teeth and changed his story multiple times, a mafia kingpin in case all that other stuff wasn't enough for you, And finally, a good judge who ironically was named Hate. I mean you can't even make this stuff up. And our featured guest today is Stefan Morant, who lived through this nightmare. So Stefan, welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: So let's go back to the beginning. I mean, this is a Connecticut story and the backs are that on October eleventh, nineteen ninety, former New Haven alderman named Ricardo Turner and his lover Lamont Fields, were shot and killed in their bed, and that's where our story starts. So back in nineteen ninety, you were a kid.
Speaker 2: You were one about, yes.
Speaker 1: And you were you know, you were hustling right, yes, but you weren't killing anybody, absolutely not, and you certainly weren't killing Ricardo Turner and Lamont Fields did. Okay, So how does this start? Because you ended up getting into the crosshairs of a I want to say corrupt detective. I mean corrupt would be too light of a word for this guy, Rauci. I mean you weren't his only victim. There were tons. Yes, He's sort of like a character along the lines of that guy out in Brooklyn who framed so many of those people. Stefan set the stage for us as to this crazy cast of characters in the New Haven drug market at the time that this double murder went down, because this was a culmination of a lot of other factors. So can you give us an overview.
Speaker 3: There was a lot of different what you may call, I guess, organizations, guys selling on different blocks. I was working with Scott and he was getting drugs from this guy by the name of Frank Perisi from out of the Fame Heights area. That's who Detective Rochet used to work for. I think the reason why me and Scott got framed is because Frank was about to go to prison. I think he was sentenced to eighteen years. So he wanted somebody to take over the organization and he picked Scott to take over the organization, and Scott wanted to get out of the drug trade. So Scott said that he would not do it, and next thing you know, me and Scott are being framed for murder.
Speaker 1: So how did this cross your consciousness? When did you first become entangled in it?
Speaker 2: As a young man, I was living with my mother at the time.
Speaker 3: I happened to call my mother in between seven thirty and eight o'clock, me and a couple all of the guys whatever he was about to go to a script club. So I just just calling her not to tell I was going to script club.
Speaker 1: But you just mom, I'm going to strip club.
Speaker 3: We're not doing that. So she tells me that someone came by. It was a detective, a couple of them. So she said they wanted me to call, So I was like, I have no problem with calling them, so she gave me the number. It happened to be Detective Rachi, and I think it was the technic was Sweeney at the time, which came in the case later on, and uh, just probably by the reason why I'm sending before you to day because of Detective Sweeney. That's another part of the story. But so I happened to call him. He's asking me could I meet him somewhere, and I said, not a problem. So my court defended mister Lewis and I and another gentleman. We jumped into a vehicle. He dropped me off at a local gas station around the corner from my mother's home, and he started asking me questions. I was hesitating by answering anything because I didn't know what was going on. He opened the back door and he thrust me in. That was the beginning of a nightmare of my life. They took me to the new police precinct, took me to the detective Burrough, held me there for hours at the time, brought out police reports, statements, those paper articles, and started asking me the questions about doing or anything about the double homicide.
Speaker 2: I said, I did not.
Speaker 1: Had you even heard about it in the neighborhood or anything?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: I did not.
Speaker 1: So this is taking you totally off guard. And you didn't have a lawyer.
Speaker 2: No I did not.
Speaker 1: Did you read you your rights because you weren't a suspect yet?
Speaker 3: Or no, I was a suspect, Like I said. We were at the house drinking and smoking, so we was a little little nice, you know, before going to the script club. Instead of spending all the money in the script club, we just to get high before. So we were in the police precinct for hours at the time. They start threatening me with talking about, oh, you could get the death penalty, we'll put you in the mad dollar bond. So I'm looking around, like in a room such as this, one small little room, you know, how do I get out of here? Like if you help us, we'll help you. We don't want you anyway, we want Lewis.
Speaker 1: So and Lewis was Scott Lewis?
Speaker 2: Correct, Scott Lewis.
Speaker 1: Was your friend, my brother, your brother not from another mother, from another Okay, so, and he had not been picked up yet.
Speaker 2: No, he wasn't right.
Speaker 1: So you're in there by yourself correct. Obviously a scary situation going on, and plus you were already a little impair in the first place. I couldn't have helped, although I imagine this would kill your buzz real quick, yes, but still you didn't have all your wits about you. I mean, listen, I would like to go back in time to that day and shake you by the collar and go, dude, call a lawyer, like, tell them you want a lawyer. That's all you had to do, and the question would have had to stop. But you didn't know that, because most people don't know. I was one of the reasons why we do the show, because we wanted to tell people what to do if they got for a bid of end up in a situation like yours. So this questioning goes on and on and on. You don't even know. You probably have no sense of time at this point. Did you have a watch or anything?
Speaker 3: No, I was, we probably got there, Like I said, it was like eight I didn't get out of there until like probably like five six hours later. After they gave me all this information. It was recording me, of course, and it kept stopping the tap. That's not how we want it. Need you to write the statement correctly stopping the tate starting stopping the tap. After they fied me all this information, so I said, I felt in my best interest on.
Speaker 2: The way I'm gonna get out of here is to do what they want me to do.
Speaker 3: Because the key thing for me was what they said was you, after you write this, you got to come back. So now I see a way out. I didn't see a way out before because they wanted to give me a way out. I was like, listen, I don't know anything about the crime. I need to leave here and let me go, and they was not letting me go, which.
Speaker 1: Is actually against the law as well. They had to let you go if you have to be let go, right, I mean, considering they were willing to break so many other rules, they certainly weren't going to abide by that one either. So so you give a statement, yes, which is a statement that they had basically fed you, correct, giving details of the crime that you had no idea about. Correct, but that we're accurate presumably if they fed them to you. Yes, and then of course stopping and starting the tape. I mean, that's right out of a TV show as well. An amateur scriptwriter would put that in there, you know. And so they end up getting what they want. Did they then arrest you or did they send you home?
Speaker 2: No, they'd actually let me go.
Speaker 1: That's crazy.
Speaker 2: They let me.
Speaker 3: They told me to come back because I just signed a statement. So my godmother name is Emma Jones. She was a lawyer at the time, and I immediately went to her home. When I got there, it was like three four in the morning, she looked at me and I looked at her and I told her where I was coming from. And she said, you did not say anything right, And I just put my head down and she said, first thing in the morning, we're going to get representation. And my cousin, Detective Pontu was my father's first cousin. He called my mother and he knew because at the time of the crime, when it actually happened, I wasn't even living here. I was living in South Carolina. Actually going back and forth from South Carolina North Carolina. So he was aware that I didn't live here at the time, so he called my mother. I didn't know where we camp meant, so he's like, do you have a statement down here? Tell Stephan come down here. We can't the statement. We know that he wasn't here. He knew he wasn't here, So I went back to the detective place with my mother. A detective came out and he was brought the statement off for me to sign it. I heard over the dispatch because I actually was supposed to meet my cousin over there, which was Detective Pontu, and it was disregard. We got this. So the detective came out, He's like, you have to sign this. So I'm not signing anything. I said, that's bullshit. I'm not signing it. I'm not signing it because it's a lie, it's false information, it's not true. He's like, what if you don't sign this, we could charge your conspiracy, and I mean my mother just she grabbed a pocketbook and we walk out the door.
Speaker 1: Okay, So this is a bizarre story in a number of levels. One is that they let you go in the first place, instead of making you sign a statement right after you had falsely confessed that. I've never heard that one before. There must have been some reason for it, but I don't know what it was. By now, this is the next day.
Speaker 2: Talking about going back to the police station. It was a couple of days later.
Speaker 1: Now by now you knew the details of the crime. You knew this was a double murder, you know, super serious situation, probably getting extra attention because of the fact that one of the dead guys, Ricardo Turner, was a former alderman, right, so there was probably to solve this crime. So now, in these three days that had passed, did you touch base with Scott Lewis? Did you let him know what's going on?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: I called him actually probably the next day, and I told him about it. So he actually called the police precinct and called the detective himself and went down there and spoke to him. I don't know what the details of the conversation were, but he went down there himself.
Speaker 1: So what happens next? How does it progress from here to where you end up getting convicted and serving almost half your life in prison?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: So what was I doing prior to being convicted m So after leaving the police precinct, I went on with my life. I was I was working. I was working at a piece to place, being a delivery guy. And the detective Rochet, he's like, used to follow me everywhere. I moved back and forth, you know, from North Carolina, South Carolina. I moved back down there with me and my kid's mother. I formally got arrested two years later, so this is nineteen ninety and the crime happened. I got arrested her in February nineteen ninety two. My kid's mother, Christie Soben, she was pregnant with my sons and we were actually living a favor in North Carolina. Her mother and father came to pick her up in December of nineteen ninety one. She was complaining because I was, of course still in the drug trade. I was going back and forth from North Carolina South Carolina, trying to make ends meet selling a little bit of drugs. So I called her in nineteen ninety two. It happened to be February, right. My sons was born in Valentine's Day, twins. One of the great yeah, one of the greatest days of my life. Of course, It was definitely a blessing. I'm like, I got to get back to Connecticut right, didn't have no warrant, didn't have no nothing. The last time I heard from the detectives when I seen him follow me around in the piece of place, in other various places like nightclubs and stuff like that. So I didn't see him anymore because I went back down south. So when I get here at my mother's home, she lives in New Haven, I happened to see a K car, you know, the police detective car. I just knew, you know, what the detective car looks like. So I seen him and I just went the opposite way. So I happened to park on a car in the communal lot in Derby, Connecticut, and me and my friend name his name is Rob. After seeing my boys, I was on my way going back to South Carolina. So I was going to pick my car up at the communal lot, and I seen my left tire was flat and looked crazy.
Speaker 2: I just felt something.
Speaker 3: And then I seen a guy like in a Seville with a newspaper up on his face, like nobody reads a newspaper like that. Something's not right. So anyway, I get out of the car. As soon as I get out of the car, police come from everywhere. It's like a scene out of a movie. My sons was in the back, my name was in the back. I was in the front. I got out the detectives. I was like, they asked me what was my name?
Speaker 2: Myself?
Speaker 3: Of course my name is Steffa Morandom. But I say, you, guys, I got kids in the car. Case you put your guns down. It was like I was in control of the situation, but I wasn't because they put their guns down. I just told her my name and they were like, oh, you have an arrestaurant for doublehomicide. I'm like, what now, I'm arrested for dumb ohomicide. Like I believe if I would have never came back to Connecticut because what they was doing they was about to take Scott to trial. So what they did was rest me so they could put pressure on me so I could come and testify.
Speaker 2: Against mister Lewis. And that's just not how you say.
Speaker 3: They try to put division between the both of us, and it didn't work. We both ended up, of course, getting convicted. I never testified on them because I'm not testifying to a lie, but I ended up getting arrested that day. Detective Rotch, she was the detective that came him and another detective and picked me up from the Orange Precinct.
Speaker 2: I said, hey, come this bull crap again. So he's like, oh, all.
Speaker 3: We want you to do is tell us that mister Lewis committed this crime. You could go home, this warrant could go away. I'm like, listen, man, what's my bond? I just need to know my bond, That's all I wanna know. I ended up giving my phone call. I called my mother and she wasn't home, so I called my aunt. Told my aunt about it, and she called my mother let her know, and I was in jail for like a few months, and then my mother she bonded me out. She put her home up, and I stayed out for an additional two years, and then I went to trial in nineteen ninety four.
Speaker 1: The whole thing is really surreal. I mean for a lot of reasons, but also because of in particular because of the elapsed time right because I feel like you're listening to you talking about it now, it seems like it was kind of in the tail life. You were going all your life. You're raising your family, trying to make m's meat, doing whatever you can, a little of this, a little legitimate stuff, some other stuff. But you weren't killing anybody. You weren't even hurting anybody. They had another sort of nefarious weapon in their arsenal, which was this another name that could only come out of a fictional account, right, this guy Ovill Ruiz like Ovill, are you kidding me with this name? Now? Orville Oval like evil and Oval. Ruiz gave well, let's call it a coerced eyewitness account. He was incentivized, he was coerced. They were using the carrot and a stick. He was promised leniency, and according to Ruiz, he came up with this story. I imagine the first time you heard about this was a trial. Did you know this Ruiz guy?
Speaker 3: Yes, I knew of them well when we sold drugs. He used to sell drugs. We used to sell drugs. Yes, we wasn't the best of friends, but I know who he was.
Speaker 1: So Ruiz came up with a pretty interesting story. He said that this alderman, the former alderman, Ricardo Turner, was storing drugs and money for Louis, your co defender, for his operation in the second four apartment that he lived in, and that he also owed Lewis money. So, according to Oval, Ruiz I love saying that name over and over again. On October tenth and eleventh, nineteen ninety. He claimed that you and Lewis discussed the idea that Turner might take the money and run, and therefore Ruiz rode with you guys to turn his apartment await in the car while you Again this is his account, his false account, but his account, he claimed that, armed with a three p fifty seven and a thirty eight, that you guys forced your way into Turner's apartment, murdered he and Fields in their bed, and took the money and the coke got in the getaway car. Now, this would all be a little bit more believable if not for the fact that he was promised leniency if he admitted to being the getaway driver. And you know, he probably didn't even come up with this story. They probably came up with it and gave it to him.
Speaker 3: But whatever, Well, you know, at the time I'm be going to trial this young kid would a background in mental health issues. My lawyer at the time subpoena in his records, and this guy was talking about he see red bean, he see different visions. He's on halladall and various drugs for his mental health. So he was not only thrown and thrusted and given leniency for given false testimony, but he also was a mental health patient. You know, I don't even understand how the jury believed this guy.
Speaker 1: So now they had you, guys, they had this guy that had a false confession. You had no shot at trial, absolutely not. So you go to trial. You tried separately from Lewis.
Speaker 3: Yes, I had four counts. First, I have five counts, one count of conspiracy. They dropped that at the beginning of the trial. Two council aid into benin and two concert felony murder.
Speaker 1: So when the jury came back in, did you have any hope that they would come to the right answer? He still believed. Yes, even after everything that happened, you still believed the justice were going out.
Speaker 2: Of course I did have hope because I didn't do it.
Speaker 1: So, okay, so take us to that moment. So the jury comes in and they read the charges in order, right right, So you've already had the one charge dropped. Now you have the first two charges and they go not guilty, right, So after that second not guilty, I'm like, You're like, I'm going home, Yes, I mean, and then they drop a bomb on you.
Speaker 3: And then a literal almost fell over. Literally I rocked back. I had to catch myself, and then I looked at the Jerry person. He shook his head like, yeah, we convicted you, and then he read it off again and looked in his eyes again, and then he put his head down.
Speaker 1: This episode is underwritten by AIG, a leading global insurance company, and by Accenture, a global professional services company with leading capabilities in digital, cloud and security. Working to reform the criminal justice system is a key pillar of the AIG pro Bono Program, which provides free legal services and other support to many nonprofit organizations and individuals most in need. As part of Accentsure's commitment to racial and civil justice. Accenture's Legal Access Program provides pro bono legal services in partnership with more than forty organizations, bringing meaningful change to people and communities worldwide.
Speaker 3: The prosecutor, which is he was just as corrupt as the detective in my eyes, my sons again, they was twins. They were two years old at the time, and I didn't see my sons in a while, you know, so I didn't bring me to court. I didn't even know I was going to court. The prosecutor rise a fruit basket. He puts it on the table, So my mother's there. I didn't know my mother's gonna be there, and my sons are there. So he says to me, missed this. Of course kind of questions and of course I missed my kids, he says, So what you gonna do about it? I said, listen, I told you before. I don't know nothing about this. I'm the same way. I'm looking at my son's right here. Mister Lewis has kids as well. So I'm gonna just take myself and say, okay, I'm gonna lie on the man to take myself out of prison, to put him in prison.
Speaker 2: Possibly, I can't do that. I just can't do that.
Speaker 1: Did he actually tell you that he was willing to give you a deal if you would testify against Lewis? Or he would just.
Speaker 2: Assume that that's what he told me.
Speaker 1: And what was the deal they offered you?
Speaker 3: He said we would work it out. He didn't tell me, well, I'm gonna take thirty five. I got seventy years now thirty five years running wild, which means do this thirty five years and start all over again. So what can you offer him? You can't offer me, No, you couldn't. He couldn't have offered me a day because I'm not gonna sit here and lie on the man for something that I didn't do and he didn't do.
Speaker 2: It's just not gonna happen.
Speaker 1: Then that speaks to your character too, because I think there's you know, no again, no one knows how you would hell anyone would deal with a situation like the one that you were in. But you handled it, I mean with courage, and you know you did the right thing at extreme cost to yourself. So now you're sentenced to seventy years and you get taken to prison. One of the reasons I do this work and I'm so obsessed and committed to it, have been for my whole adult life and will be for the rest of my adult life, however long that may be, is because of people like you. Honestly in awe that people like yourself can go through what you went through and come out with this and I picked it up. When we've met before is one of the reasons I want to have you on the show, because you're such a positive guy, and you're such a sort of I mean to meet you. No one would ever know that you had been through anything like this, much less this totally insane ordeal. So how did you survive prison? Was it as bad as what you were expecting? Was it as bad as what people think it is?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: For me, I have a Christian background, right, my grandmother, she just was a faith driven woman. My mother, you know, my father used to take me to church all the time. Actually, the day I got convicted, June eighth, that night when they threw me, told me they reminded me, I was like like a whole building on top of me, like and I didn't know how I was gonna get it off of me. So they put me in a bullpen and there was nobody down there, and I'm looking around and I had a suit on so and the tie. So I shifted my tie from the left to the right, and I'm like, yo, how did I get here? How did this happen to me? So I was about to cry, of course, I'm like and so literally a voice came over me and said son you're gonna be all right, you know. I got down on my knees in that bullpenner and I prayed, and that was my peace.
Speaker 2: That was my sanctuary, that was my sanity. That's what brought me through.
Speaker 3: Just not my faith alone, but my family was there for me, and they're still there for me. My big brother Frank, my brother Julian, he passed away to Lupis a year before I came home. He was my great to support, my brother le End and my mother Linda, or host the family and friends. I mean, you know, it's crazy in prison because some people don't even know what the visiting room look like. I just had a great support. My wife Rain sleep of snow. I'm telling you, if it was six feet of snow and the roses clear, she was there, you know, And that says a lot for her, you know. But again, I had a lot of family there for me. My family was there, they're still there for me. And again my faith kept me whole.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I actually go to school right now, to a Bible institute to become a minister. It's not easy. I go through a lot of ups and downs because of the incarceration. I call it today because of they thrust me into a cage. I'm that dog that's running away from the cage, never to go back to that cage again. I want to go back there, but I want to go back there for the right reasons, as far as if I could inspire and encourage somebody to be like, listen, there is hope. The's guys that see me today. When I was actually incarcerated, well I don't call it incarcerated again, when I was thrusting into that cage, they just literally like start crying, like yo, yo, you believed like you believed you was coming home when you was going home in you're here. Sometimes of course it gets rough sometime, you know, But what do you do with the situation when it happens to you? Do you sit down weeping crowd? Do you get up and stand tall? Because that's what they want you to do. They want you to be like, Okay, we're gonna take this person, thrust them in a cage, and we want them to become an animal.
Speaker 2: I did the total opposite.
Speaker 1: I mean, how did you get out? I mean, these are the things I want to get to here because you were there for twenty years twenty one twenty one years in maximum security. Obviously it's felling the murder.
Speaker 3: Yes, I believe that my gud made away, you know. I mean, of course legal things took place, but people came back. Like I mentioned to you earlier to text the Sweeney, he was a great part in this case. He came back after he was in Bosnia in nineteen ninety eight nineteen ninety nine, he happened to see my case. I was going back for a petition for new trial, and I had the lawyer by the name of Michael Fitzpatrick at the time, and he said, I got some good evidence that's coming, and that was It took another nineteen ninety nine to twenty fifteen, sixteen more years for the court to even listen to him.
Speaker 2: And this is a supervisor of Detective Rocchi.
Speaker 3: That's telling you that the two men that you have in prison, if you're going by the information that was gathered by Detective Rocchi and that informat that you had that testified in these guys, absolutely not I Tective Swing he came to testify to that.
Speaker 1: That's so crazy. I'm getting the chills now thinking about it, because here you have a senior official in law enforcement who is coming forward with no motivation. What could his motivation possibly be other than the truth? And they're going, yeah, we're good, like yeah, I mean, he's He's one of the heroes in this.
Speaker 2: Story right, without a doubt.
Speaker 1: Scott Lewis wrote a letter to the FBI as well about Rachi. They looked into it, and every time they did they would find that things were not as he said they were, but as you guys said they were. They found that Rauchi not only framed you and Lewis, but that he framed a number of other people. I don't think we'll ever know how many, because we know when these guys do it, like Scarcela and Brooklyn, they just keep doing it and doing it and doing it as long as they get away with it, which is why it's so important that we tell these stories. And they even brought him back Rouchi, they brought him back to New Haven to question him, but they never charged him. They ended up charging him with his ridiculous but they charged him for misbuilding his overtime hours and assaulting his wife, which is a serious crime in my view, and yet he received two years probation. So he was dealing drugs, framing people for murder assaulting his wife, and he gets two years probation and you end up with seventy years for a crime you didn't commit. Another hero in this story, and it's interesting because it's a New Haven story. And along comes a Yale law professor named Brett Dignam and Richard Emmanuel and a whole bunch of law students right coming in like the cavalry, all from Yale. Yes, and that's a pretty good group to have on your side because at Yale they don't mess around. There's no question that you have an incredible amount of brain power and energy devoted to your case. How did they get involved? How do they find out about it?
Speaker 3: They got involved in Scott case actually two thousand and nine, and Brett moved from she was a law professor at Yale, and then she moved to Columbia. And then they just the students. A lot of the students just went along with her, or she just had some more Columbian students. I'm not really sure of the whole procedure how it went down, but they played a big role in this, getting the conviction overturned.
Speaker 1: And finally a good judge who ironically was named hate.
Speaker 2: The judge Hate huh with a name but a loving guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Judge Charles hate the US district Judge Charles hat Junior. Your team want a ruling in front of judge that the prosecution had failed to tell the defense and this is heavy. Get ready that the key witness, ov Ruiz had repeatedly denied having any knowledge of the murders. All of a sudden he had a big memory recall after he was offered a deal. But it's important to recognize that he was at least initially telling the truth. Doesn't excuse his behavior whatsoever, but it does highlight the lengths that they were willing to go to to get a conviction. And let us not forget that, of course, in your case, like in so many other wrong for conviction cases, like whoever it was that went and cold bloodedly gunned these two guys down, whether it was one guy, two guys, woman, we don't know who it was, right, I don't know if you to this day know who it was.
Speaker 2: I don't know who it is.
Speaker 3: I mean, they have other suspects that D said they have, but I don't know if they pushed forward to try to arrest anybody. I mean, I don't wish nothing bad on anybody, but whether it's one, ind visual, two or three individuals still out there.
Speaker 2: So now what about our public exactly?
Speaker 1: Let's just say it's not unlikely that whoever was I committed this crime went on to commit other terrible crimes while you guys were serving the time for them. So how did you end up getting out?
Speaker 3: Actually, mister Lewis, he was released in February March of twenty fourteen on the bracelet. The judge hate ordered that they release him within the ninety days I think of after the conviction was overturned. Then they had to go to the second Circuit court and then all the charges was dropped. I think he got exonerated in twenty sixteen, if I'm not mistaken. Unlike myself, mister Lewis had a dream team and I had a team that wasn't fighting for me at all. So pushed forward to a year later, the attorney said he spoke with the district attorney and said, oh, I think that I could talk to him, so talk to him about what like, why now you not found the motion for me to get out of prison because you and mister Lewis cases there. I said, what you mean, what do you mean different we went We just went to trial differently. The evidence is the same. We just went to trial at different times. I want to be out of release from prison. I said, how long more do you think this is gonna take? He said, I might take another three years. What this man's out of prison? You're telling me? I still got away to the additional three years to be released from prison. He was like, yeah, So what I'm gonna do is I'm gonna go talk cause I'm friends with the district attorney. So I'm gonna go down there and see if he'd just say, see what could happen. I think that was a Tuesday. So he came back the very next day. He's like, oh, I got good news from you going home. The district attorney said, we'd give you time served, but you have the cop out. I'm thinking now, my little brother, he just passed away. Lupis. I lost my grandfather. I lost my father, I lost the host of a lot of friends. My mother's getting older, my children are older. You know they Dad, when you're coming home. I have a wife now that married me for I don't know why in prison in two thousand and nine.
Speaker 2: What do I do. I'm between a rock and the harbor.
Speaker 3: Place do I sit here and say, listen, I want to fight for my name to be clear for another three years. There's nothing guaranteed in the judicial system. They already failed me once, So what do I do. I've always heard that if you can fight better from the outside than the inside. I need to get out. I need to get out of here. So I went with the terms in the agreement. I mean ignorant, of course, of the repercussions of still fighting for my conviction. Because I still have a conviction. Mister Lowisside, I told you a couple of minutes ago, was exonerated, same evidence, just different trial.
Speaker 2: He's exonerated. I'm struggling. You know, what do you do?
Speaker 3: You know I got to survive, though, you know, I'm thankful that I'm able to be able to stand on my two feet. I'm able to go to a job and to go and make a difference. I don't know if you know, but I work at a halfway house. You know, it's a part of the frictional facility. Like my grandmother was a caregiver. So I guess I'm following the footsteps of her. I also just took on another job working with the mental health I work at health for healthcare.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: It's not a lot of money, but it's getting me and my wife by me and my lawyer. Right now, we're trying to put together a pardon to try to see if that the state of Connecticut will pardon me and use circumstances because I can't get jobs. It's pay as well, because I have a conviction of my record. You know, I'm actually like getting half the pay, you know, for somebody didn't do and I'm still suffering.
Speaker 2: Sometimes I'd be like, yo, why, But then at the end of the day, why not.
Speaker 3: I'm not the first person that happened to them, won't be the last person that happens too.
Speaker 1: So, Stefan, last time we spoke, you were still fighting for your innecens to be recognized. You were out here struggling to get by on what jobs you could get with that murder conviction hanging over your head until you and your attorney, Ken Rosenthalv. Were finally able to get a hearing in July of twenty twenty one, just a short time ago, for an absolute pardon, which would finally expunge your record of having ever been convicted of a crime, and you finally received your absolute parton certificate just a few months later. When you found out, what was that moment, Like who.
Speaker 3: A bunch of bricks? Everything just fell off my shoulders. It was like, I'm free, you know. It was like for a long time, I've been accused of something that I did not do, and now it felt like our release. You know, I'm free. I mean, I'm finally free. Words can't even sum it up right now. I'm ready to just to tear up. I think I was telling you earlier this year that they called me in for Jerry duty.
Speaker 1: Wait, so they called you? Imagine that rashly minted Axonnerie, right, Jerry, they called you for Jerry duty. Than really kind of poetic about that.
Speaker 3: The same court that convicted me was calling me on for jury duty. It didn't pick me for the jury, but they called me in for jury duty. I felt, I felt honored, I felt like a human being. I felt a sense of release, even though I probably couldn't serve in the jury because I was still a convicted felon at the time, but it would just an honor for the jury pool to even call me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't imagine. And let's face it, most people do everything they can to avoid jury duty, which I'm going to talk directly to our audience here. Please take what you've learned here and serve on a jury every chance you get. Okay, it is an honor and it is a duty, and it is an opportunity for each of us to help prevent what happened to step On and to every other one of the axguneries that we've covered in these twelve seasons of wrongful conviction. We have the opportunity to prevent that from happening to other people. But it starts with serving on a jury. So yeah, I can see how. You know, after being exiled for the rest of society, even jury duty can feel like a sort of a warm welcome, like almost like a blessing. And you deserve so much more than that. I mean, now you're going to be eligible for compensation, which is great, but no amount of money will ever be able to replace what they took from you two decades of time. And speaking of that, I hope that on top of the struggle of being out here living with a conviction on your record having to check that box on job applications working for jobs. I hope that you've been able to make up for lost time with your loved ones.
Speaker 3: Well, um fortunate and it's been blessed that me and my wife, Kimberly Moran purchased a home. Great woman, she's my angel, she is a rid died She's somebody that I hold at a high regard. That man, I'm getting tongue twisted right now to stinking who would do that? I mean, who would just come into somebody's life and just believe in the innocence. She believed in me. She believed that I was innocent. Other than that, she says, she would never have stayed. She became my wife in two thousand and nine while in prison. Between me and her, we have seven children, Twiler, Stefan, Mia, Jayla, Prince Christian and Julian. We have grandchildren now, Steph On the third, Thailand, Marquise, Madison, Demi and Juliana.
Speaker 2: And just knowing that.
Speaker 3: I wasn't here for my children, but thank God, I'm here for my grandchildren. Hope that we could develop a relationship that a man, It's hard because they have a life. We have a life. Hopefully it gets better. I want to be there more because the relationship is not what it should be. I mean, my children tell me every time they thought that it would be different, they thought it would make us closer when you came home. My daughter always says that she spoke to me seemed like more when I was able to call her fro them fifteen minutes, and that's to me. Is sad for me to just hear that from her, I mean, and I just pray that one day that we all could just find time for one another. Because now, again you heard me earlier, I work for a job, so it's like I'm always trying to stay busy, stay busy, so I'm always tagged with a place that I am, so they can never do that.
Speaker 2: To me again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's crazy, step On, and it's powerful to hear you say it, But you're not the first guy I've heard say that or something like it. I mean, some guys will say that they will get receipts anywhere they can, every time they can get a receipt for pack of gum anything.
Speaker 3: I just looked at my drawer. My drawers full uped me everywhere I go. You want to receive. Yeah, I need that timestep absolutely location. Like on my phone, I put, yeah, do you want people to know you?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Location, And that's sad because you want a private life, but you can't have a private life because you're afraid that something like this can happen to you again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that is a sad part of reality. And you know, it's a continuing toll of the damage that they did. But I got to say, everyone on the Wrongful Conviction team is really like, so so happy for you now and with your new clean record, I guess all I could say is, may your reputation never be smeared and impugned again. And now we come to my favorite part of the show, which of course is called closing arguments. And with the incredible, magnificent news of your absolute pardon, this will be a brand new closing argument from the one we did with you back in twenty nineteen. Honestly, I can't wait to hear this one. So first I want to thank you again Stefan for sharing with us your incredible courage, your journey, your spirit, all of it. And now I'm going to turn my microphone off, keep my headphones on, Kick back in my chair and just listen to anything you feel you want to say.
Speaker 3: For me, arguments would be that to recognize my mother been there from the beginning, it's still there now, my little brother Leander, my big brother Frank, my wife of course, my mother in law, father in law, my children I named them earlier, for us to just have a better relationship and building on this. I mean, this has caused so much grief and so much pain in my life, but I just want to make it better. But we have to do it together, not you know, as individuals, sometimes we get selfish and think that we got to put off things. But sometime take that minute, take that hour out in that second, because nothing is promised to you. I mean, every day it's a blessing just to be on this earth. We know what we just went through in this last couple of years with this COVID situation.
Speaker 2: I just just pray that.
Speaker 3: This happened for me, and I hope that everybody that's unjustly incarcerated to get their day in court, that they're able to come and do the same thing I'm doing right now with this podcast and this story amongst the.
Speaker 2: World, that.
Speaker 3: This is the day that the Lord has made and let us rejoice and be exceedingly glad that they're in. That's one of my favorite sayings. And I'm so grateful to God that I know that that's the only reason why I stand before you today and I sit here and I'm able to be here. And again, thank you to Jason Flam and thank you to Connor for allowing me just to be here, just to share the story and hope that it can help somebody see something or hear something, or some people just do the right thing. Just to know that you don't have to lie on somebody in order to change your life or to save your life, because it's no good God to come out of that. If you do something wrong with somebody, Believe me, it's gonna come back on you tenfold.
Speaker 2: And with that, I say, I have a blessed day. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Wrongful Conviction. I'd like to thank our production team Connor Hall, Justin Golden, Jeff Cliburn, and Kevin Wardis. With research by Lyla Robinson. The music in this production was supplied by three time OSCAR nominated composer Jay Ralph. Be sure to follow us on Instagram. At Wrongful Conviction, on Facebook at Wrongful Conviction podcast, and on Twitter at wrong Conviction, as well as at Lava for Good. On all three platforms, you can also follow me on both TikTok and Instagram at it's Jason Flopp. Wrongful Conviction is the production of Lava for Good podcasts and association with Signal Company Number one