Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio, Cavino.
Speaker 2: And Rich on Fox Sports Radio, Steve and nobody must Wappo Covino and there is Dickey Davis in the flesh. So we've been doing this show a long time. But when they ask us to fill in for Dan, really we'll throw off our whole schedule to do that, No doubt. Let me just say three and a half hours, let's do school pick up instead of drop off. And by the way, East Coast friends, you got it right after Labor Day.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, way more sensical, Like the.
Speaker 2: Fact that my kids are in week two of school makes little sense to the how we grew up right, Oh yeah, no doubt. And you want to hear something wild? Yeah, what are you doing Friday night? I want to come to my daughter's cheerleading game. It's a football game cheering. Yeah, that's what I'm saying. It's already got Friday night plans, Friday night lights.
Speaker 3: Is it like preseason? No, it's an official game all right.
Speaker 2: Here on the West Side, live from Los Angeles, we meet of La zero this week zero of my daughter's high school football run. She didn't make captain, though she didn't make captain, but she was okay with that. She's still a junior in high school. She made the varsity cheerleading team. And I'm cheer dad Steve Cavino there. He is the number one coach of Fox Sports Radio, Rich Davis. Hey, do you, by the way, when she does her cheerleading moves and you like mimicking them back to her, because you when I said that, that's what I was thinking. Yeah, I implied that, right. I know all the choreography. But the point is, yeah, school's already started out here in Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: The rest of the world.
Speaker 2: You got it right, everything's upside down out here, which means is six am on the West, which means because this isn't our normal schedule normally on five to seven on the East, two to four in the West. I got like maybe three hours sleep last night. Could not fall asleep. You it's hard to you know, dude, that's a that's a ramt on it because you know, we're gonna get to a lot today, a lot of fell this Genie Bus, NBA news is a lot of funny things. Drew Brees stopping. Oh, Drew Brees is gonna be here the very funny. Frank Kelly Ande is gonna be here, so I'll get about him too. A really good show. But Covino's right, there is something about doing the Dan Patrick Show, and anyone can relate, not with doing the Dan Patrick Show, but pink this picture. You book an early morning flight, you're so in your head about like, well, I gotta make sure I get to the airport there.
Speaker 3: I can't oversleep. I can't do anything that you really can't chill.
Speaker 2: And that's how I permanently feel when we feel it for Dan Oh, because you know any other time there's no I'm gonna oversleep. But I even had my wife's set in alarm, which I feel that I'm like, you set a backup in case. My hope is you know, and I know that we will someday get used to it.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: Sam Sam is here, Sammy Sam is here on the ones and twos on the Cocking Steel, And we got the super producer Danny ge Danny on the phones on SAMBI waiting just to say hi eight seven seven ninety nine on Fox. Everything at Covino and Rich And by the way, we are streaming live so you could chop it up in the live chat chime In, Be Interactive, Get Involved, the most interactive show on Radio. Covino on Retch YouTube dot com, slash at Covino and Rich FSR.
Speaker 3: Let the wild rumps begin.
Speaker 2: Danny g Our producer, probably the biggest Lakers fan we know. Yeah, and Danny, you were all about this Genie Buss trying to hang on. Huh yeah, all this family hangout. It's got me emotional.
Speaker 3: Boooooo.
Speaker 5: Let's getting messy because her brothers were supposed to, you know, vote her way, and that's not happening right now.
Speaker 2: So you know, I know it's a fake show. I didn't watch season two, but if anyone watched that Netflix show with Kate Hudson where she's sort of playing like the whole point is like she's supposed to.
Speaker 3: Be like Genie Bus. Right, it's a fake team.
Speaker 2: It's a fake scenario, but it's like she's the sister that took You just found out that was fake.
Speaker 3: Rich thought Forrest Gump was real.
Speaker 2: That's true, Yeah, until I told him it was Yeah, No, your brother, that was a year ago true story. His brother did. Though you had to call my brother out. I got you to have to, you know, Forrest Gump's real now. But it is wild to think though, that Genie buss is dealing with like family drama like that, like the idea of like her brother's voting against her.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's not a surprise. Well that's surprised.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the squabbling isn't a surprise though. Right when you get family involved, there's always going to be a squabble. That's like the first rule in business. So they say, I don't know. So the story is they still had seventeen point eight percent share of the Lakers.
Speaker 3: Correct, Danny g Correct.
Speaker 2: Even after the big sale last week, they still had seventeen point eight percent. But then Shams goes and reports that, yeah, they sold their share and Jeanie bus At hold up. I didn't agree to that, and because it wasn't run by her in the proper way. To my understanding, this is causing the squabble. Is that the gist of it just want to make it differentially.
Speaker 5: She didn't authorize this, she doesn't believe the vote was legally valid, and her siblings shouldn't have been able to force this through the way I did.
Speaker 2: So if the family still owns seventeen point eight percent of the lakers. They all have to agree before they share it, and apparently she was not given that courtesy the proper way, So that's causing some strife in the Bus family. I look at it like, if I'm the Bus family, I get it. You want the money, And you said the other day when teams are selling for billions and billions more than people bottom for, and there's all these opportunities to sell, sell, sell, I don't know. Is there a part of you that the Bus family in particular because of their late great dad and the whole family. Wouldn't you want to keep some portion of that as your identity?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I know it's uh.
Speaker 2: I know there's a lot of money to be made and you can move along and you know, living the lap of luxury, which they already are. But what do you what do you think you'd want to just somehow always have yourself tied to that. Is it such a big part of your identity if you're a bus I mean, is it?
Speaker 3: Are you like part of that?
Speaker 2: Maybe we're thinking thinking is my heart? Yeah, we're thinking with a different set of eyes and ears here. We're not business people, and we're putting too much sentimental value into the actual value.
Speaker 3: Maybe.
Speaker 5: Well, besides Genie, everybody is seeing dollar signs, including the NBA, because you know, the Board of Governors are likely going to approve the Eiger and Company sale because of that twelve point five billion dollars. But is it the best thing for the NBA long term?
Speaker 3: That's a great question.
Speaker 2: And I know the other part of the story, though, rich to my understanding my reading comprehension, is not all that great.
Speaker 3: Is that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Is that Shams was sort of coerced and throwing it out there by the brothers. So the brothers basically manipulated the information information for him to put out there, so nothing on him. This is the information he's been given by the brothers, which therefore feels like a backstap to Jeanie Buss.
Speaker 3: Right, So Danny G did I get that?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 2: Like they're using Shamps to manipulate the story, sort of forcing the hand. That's the rumor, that's our understanding of what's going on.
Speaker 3: So you could.
Speaker 2: See how sticky, icky icky it could get, especially if they're using you know, the number one dude in the NBA to put that information out there. So it appears like, yeah, this is a done deal. This is Hey, we're moving forward with it.
Speaker 6: Yay.
Speaker 3: What about Genie? Yeah yeah, yeah, she's in on it. Shams report that, get that out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we all agree everything's good and put things in real perspective. My family squabbles over who gets Graham happy shoehorn. You don't think that family members are gonna squabble over millions and billions of dollars?
Speaker 3: So as absolutely dud So here's the here's the question.
Speaker 2: You think every every family thinks they're good until grandma dies and they're squabbling over like ancient jewelry and here like who cares if the Bus family's fighting over should we totally just.
Speaker 3: Give up the Lakers? You know, Dad's Lakers rest and peace.
Speaker 2: You know, if they're squabbling over a sibling dispute over what percentage or of zero they should have of the Lakers? What is the most bizarre thing your family has fought about. Let's be interactive and if and if you've got the best answer, maybe Davy g Will throw you a little uh Coveno on Rich Fox Sports Radio prize.
Speaker 3: Maybe I gave three of these package.
Speaker 2: We got their football's, we got grilling aperns, we got Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 3: Goodies.
Speaker 2: But the question is, what's the most ridiculous, eye rolling, foolish thing your family has fought about, Where like Uncle Hank doesn't talk to the family anymore.
Speaker 3: Why, I don't know.
Speaker 2: We got to fight on Thanksgiving about the Cowboys and he just ran out and never came back. Like that happens. I know every family. Every family has a chapter. And this is the really interesting part. I always wonder if you ever do that thing where you wonder is it my family or everyone's family? There are family members when you try to you ever try to do like a family tree project in school? Yeah, and you're like, hey, dad, didn't Grandpa have like multiple brothers? What happened to that brother?
Speaker 3: I don't know. Oh, I don't know.
Speaker 7: Yah.
Speaker 2: Family, you know, family disputes, and you know, I guess I got to fight about something, and yeah, Uncle Fred slept with Aunt Jessica. And you're like, what uncle Fred some of his brother's wife. That happened that only, yeah, calls a big family problem. But I never talked again.
Speaker 3: I know that. Uh, but it's usually more dumb than it.
Speaker 2: I remember one of my one of my exes, this is I don't know why this story pops in my head. There was like a part of her family they didn't talk to anymore, and you know, being nosy, like I am.
Speaker 3: I had a dig I'm like, why do you why do you not talk to what? Does your dad not talk to his his sister and her family?
Speaker 2: You are the nosiest And she's like, yeah, I was like Thanksgiving in the eighties.
Speaker 3: I'm like, what the hell happened?
Speaker 2: And from what I understand, my one of my exes family had a whole section of the family that didn't talk because on a holiday, they came to the front door, probably holding a fruitcake or something and like, you know, a bottle of wine, and they said, hey, it's drizzling out, go around to the side door. I don't want your shoes getting in the house. And they're like, look me in the house now it's draining out. They're like, go around to the side door. And then say a lot of Italian families, a lot of Italian families on the East Coast don't use their front door.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sometimes it's like, you know, it's winter protected and they never used it.
Speaker 3: Looks, yes, for.
Speaker 8: Looks they use the back we don't use the front decorative and Tony, you know, we don't use the front door. Yeah, but it's raining, Gay, you're back used the cellar door.
Speaker 2: How many Italian families on the East Coast did you know that didn't even walk through certain rooms in their house.
Speaker 3: That's what I was thinking. Don't they don't walk through the living ornamental?
Speaker 2: Dude, I had so many friends going up in Jersey where you didn't walk through the front.
Speaker 3: Ever, my mother will get mad. Yeah, my mom just vacuumed the.
Speaker 2: Floor decorative, so I remember that. So that's why the family doesn't talk. Yeah, that's why the family doesn't talk. Because they made him walk around the back in the rain, in the rain, to the side door, and because I never talked to the head.
Speaker 3: It's like, can you believe this? Come on, Gina, we're leaving and hence we don't talk anymore. But come mine this Thanksgiving?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that that could cause a fight, definitely, So we say holidays too. Like you said, tensions are high. You know, I heard a conversation yesterday. I saw a study recently. My mom said I started a family fight. It was like me, I'm in California.
Speaker 3: What about the ridiculousness of uh?
Speaker 2: You know, no matter what side you lie and you don't think the' certain families that are like we don't talk to mom or dad anymore of a politics. Politics is a killer of families. But I want to hear the funny stories, not like you know, these are fine, not like I want to hear the ridiculous ones. I don't want to hear like you know, dad likes Trump and the you know your sister doesn't thosey rich doesn't want to like get to the bottom of it. But I I I'm always so intrigued, like, wait, what happened now? It's usually someone who got drunk. Yes, usually someone said some offensive truth comes out. I just recently heard one of my other buddies say like, yeah, we don't know if we're going back to the East coast or the holidays, why.
Speaker 3: The summer or something went down. It always it always happens.
Speaker 2: You know what is happening too. I think just in our society, the older guard doesn't get the respect from the younger guard, and the and the political differences are so stark that they can't even sit at.
Speaker 3: The table together. That's ridiculous. You should be able to sit with anyone.
Speaker 2: No, because there's just a total different outlook on what's going on in the world. And it just can't vibe that the snotty attitude of the Weieniels. They don't have respect for.
Speaker 3: The old people, like we did you start a fighting the family?
Speaker 2: Oh well I did reference one thing that is true when my grandma died, right, they didn't talk for like five years, siblings over like who got jewelry and stuff? And nobody's hurting for money. No one you would ever think would fight over something so silly.
Speaker 3: You think.
Speaker 2: Possessive about the most random things, and it happens to every You think your family's above this. But and then I see the jewelry and it looks it's like ancient relics from like one hundred and fifty years ago. Sometimes maybe what is this? Was this buried in someone's tomb? Yeah, like, how did you This is what you're fighting over? These shells and coins?
Speaker 3: I remember from a pirates treasure. This is from what i'd willie, what is this? Mayan relics?
Speaker 9: Who want?
Speaker 3: Why would you fight over this?
Speaker 2: It's the oldest look and stuff, but they're like fighting about it. I remember when my when my grandfather died. I remember random relatives I hardly knew, came out of nowhere and sort of trying to like go through my grandparents' stuff. And I remember my mother and he was like, your why are these random aunts and uncles here?
Speaker 3: Bro? That's here a rifle to your things, man, that's just trash.
Speaker 2: Every family, every family has a trashy Every family has a trashy section of the family that shows up. And I call you know what, I call them the others? The others, Yeah, the others. And when all the mutant relatives starts showing up, they start, you know, rummaging through Grandpa's National Geographic collection.
Speaker 3: Was like, yeah, and they're somewhere. Who are the others? Would you fight over a Mickey Mantle rookie?
Speaker 5: Because when my my uncle Billy and San Jose, California passed away.
Speaker 3: Got uncle Billy. Yeah, Uncle Billy.
Speaker 5: He had baseball boxes and boxes of baseball cards and he collected from you know, all the decades, and everybody knew that there were some mint condition cards worth a lot of money.
Speaker 2: Honus, there, I'll take this one. No one knows it right, truthfully, Danny. Truthfully, When I was a kid, I stole all of my uncles and grandpa's baseball cards.
Speaker 7: I got them all.
Speaker 2: Now, now the family might know, but I got them, and what you say, doodled, No, I didn't. I'd kept them all, dude. But that caused the family squabble for real.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but that's a lot because we had family members who were going and going through the things and then supposedly gathered all the baseball and football cards and basketball cards, and you know, like gave us each a stack of the cards.
Speaker 3: And I got my stack.
Speaker 5: But trust me, rookie, Yeah, the Mickey Mantle rookie, all those uh priceless rookies were not in my stack.
Speaker 3: Danny, you got the Don Assi card?
Speaker 5: You got h I got Rusty Stops, Bobby, Bobby and each of them.
Speaker 3: This is Ginger, oh, Danny, Rusty Stobs. Great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it's uh you know, as I turned to my I turned to my right.
Speaker 3: On TV, she is Genie Buss and that's how we got here.
Speaker 2: By the way, yea, you know, they'll testing the family sale of the Lakers, saying that that's seventeen point eight percent. She did not agree to totally give up their stake in the Lakers and I think there is such an identity. Now, this is a very unique case because if you have seen documentaries and mockumentaries and whatever the case may be, the story of Jerry Buss and the Lakers is fascinating and you do feel like there should always be some type of connection.
Speaker 3: To the I picture John c Riley still best show that ever got, the best show that ever got canceled from the show Winning Time, which shouldn't have been canceled. I should still be on right now. That was the best show that got call.
Speaker 2: You know what, even from a fictional show like that, you do get the sense of how much doctor Buss meant to the NBA, or how much Genie Buss was invested in her her dad's business and what he was doing.
Speaker 3: Such I could see that such.
Speaker 2: A part of why the NBA got to where it got to her dad and the family. So I could see where she's like, I don't want to be out. So we're talking about those family squabbles that totally ruin the family dynamic. And you know, here's let me give you a little piece of advice and we'll move on. We'll take some feedback and then tell you my last story. Oh yeah, tell me your list story. Then I have the best advice for anyone with family squabbles, and then we will get to some NFL.
Speaker 3: A lot of NFL today.
Speaker 2: As everyone's getting fired up, I want to talk some Baker Mayfield in a second. Okay, my last squabble. My family's always squabbling. If you want the juice, just talk to my mom. She cuts up everybody in the matter of like twenty minutes. Give my mom. She's like ten ten wins. Give her twenty two minutes. She'll give you the world and she'll cut up everybody in the family. Give you this scoop. Mom doesn't hold back.
Speaker 3: Nah man, She's mad at everyone. Right.
Speaker 2: So I made the mistake of calling, uh, calling my mom, and she just vents at me.
Speaker 3: I'm like ah ah, and she's dowing digs at me left and right. By the way, just say no.
Speaker 2: If you talk to every time, if you talk to your mother, we all agree. I want everyone to know this she was going on. If every time you talk to you mother, she's bitching and complaining about your siblings, just know she's doing that about you.
Speaker 3: It's bitching and knowing them and moaning no, you're not immune.
Speaker 2: So when your family makes fun of all the other family members, just know that when they're talking to themselves, they're making fun of you.
Speaker 3: So if the Bus.
Speaker 2: Family squabbling because Jeanie doesn't want to sell her share never agreed to it, the way the story's going now, they still have seventeen point eight percent of the acres. We're asking you about your family squabbles because we all have them, and it's fun. It's actually really funny to talk about when you realize how silly it is, right, and people hold these lifelong grudges over the silliest things, and life's so short, it's ridiculous.
Speaker 5: So yeah, really really funny when you get a Dave Kingman, Rookie.
Speaker 2: Danny who needs Mickey Mantle or Jackie Robinson when I can give you this loop Panelay, but you know what, look at not to derail, but look at Aaron Rodgers family squabble.
Speaker 3: Sometimes you got to be the bigger person.
Speaker 2: Like his new mystery wife it Brittany, who reunited him with his.
Speaker 3: Family over what they had.
Speaker 2: Some like you know, a couple of religious things, right, a couple just life things.
Speaker 3: That's all speculation. The reality is like the idea of cutting out your family about ten years they were on note speaking terms.
Speaker 2: And I think it's I think it's a ridiculous sentiment. There's a weird sentiment. Again, not to be all over the place code, but there's a sentiment among really younger people that like, you don't need your family, like cut them out, Like you know, won'uld be cutting out their family unless they're you know why it's so toxic because we all know too much more than ever before, Like because of social media. You see Aunt Cindy's real views and it offends people.
Speaker 10: I feel like now more than ever, we've been seeing these articles about going no contact with your parents.
Speaker 3: It's ridiculous. It's no contact And I'm like, what is this? Yeah, because it's like but I get it.
Speaker 10: There are there are a lot of families that don't get along and sometimes better.
Speaker 3: Just to move on it.
Speaker 2: What happens Sam Again, it's generational differences. It's not necessarily like regional or cultural. It's like generational. It's like our generation starts having kids, right, and then your kids become aware and they're growing up in today's world, and then like Grandpa is saying like crazy off the wall stuff and you don't want them to say these things.
Speaker 3: In front of your kids.
Speaker 10: And then there's fractures and skis. Ye, people start just joining their most immediate family.
Speaker 3: It's all sorts of stuff like that.
Speaker 2: But just recently, in my for the record Cavino here, my family's great, you know, like squabbling is just what everybody does. Yeah, it's DNA of a fiery family. So I was there a few weeks.
Speaker 3: Ago, and.
Speaker 2: I happen to be there right around my milestone birthday. That's what I'm going with milestone birth Yeah. Yeah, I don't need to birth. I don't need to give out the details I'm getting going alright, I'm grown eighty five, still the youngest in the game.
Speaker 3: He lives on a Sun dial. Yeah, so.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm forgetting how old I am now, sundial So yeah, Sundell's broken. But anyway, my family were just happy to be there. Like my immediate family, most of them were there. It's hard to get everybody there at the same time, but they just happened to be around. And my mom and dad like, you.
Speaker 3: Sure you don't want to do anything, Steven.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, nah, I don't want to do anything. Mom, I don't want to do anything.
Speaker 3: That's it. I just was sticking to my guns, like, nah, what do we say? I don't want to celebrate. I just wasn't feeling it. I don't want, you know, period.
Speaker 2: So my dad and my mom were like, ay it, Dancy, he doesn't want to do anything.
Speaker 3: She's like, Stephen, can't we even get him a carveil cake?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 3: So I was like, so I agreed to that cause I was like, you know what, there's kids there.
Speaker 2: I got my nieces and nephews like in town, right and I'm rarely home, Like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, get a carveil cake, gets get Fudgie the whale for the kids. Absolutely right.
Speaker 2: So we just had a regular like Dad grilled up burgers and dogs.
Speaker 3: This is the truth. Dad was like, Hey, what do you want? Hot dog? What do you want but burger? What do you want? Burgers and dogs?
Speaker 2: Simple Jersey backyard barbecue. But not even a barbecue. It's just the immediate family and we're eating. You're grilling someone in the South of barbecue.
Speaker 3: Don't even use that word.
Speaker 2: But it's a Sunday like you gotta eat, right, So either we were gonna order pizza or does I have like burgers and dogs, hot dogs, cheese burgers, A you're good. I got We did have a cake because I was like, yeah, get it all right, just get a cake whatever. The kids are here, and uh, it comes out or it happens to be news that I had a cake and people, you know, we hate we celebrated my breath, so my aunt and uncle and their kids who live in the town weren't invited. It's like, no, we weren't doing anything. So then my dad was like, yeah, he didn't want to celebrate.
Speaker 3: The word gets out. How did you get out?
Speaker 2: Like I guess, you know social media. Someone says like, yeah, we had a cake for Steven, and then Uncle Joe's like they had a cake. No one told me, yeah exactly, and it turns into that and it's like no, no, no, I didn't want to party.
Speaker 3: I was just there. I didn't want anything going on.
Speaker 2: You had cake, though, but we had cake because we had cake, and it appears like a party, cake left cake. They weren't invited to my big milestone birthday party. Meanwhile, it was yeah it was pin dogs hot dogs, an emotional baby, like I don't want to celebrate. My parents were just like abiding by that, so you know things like that happened. Well, Genie, Bus Bus family, we wish you well. If I'm the Bus family, I don't know why you'd want no affiliation with the franchise. Your dad not only put on the map but made well, you know, next level like.
Speaker 5: The one we know Rich because they're older now and they want to cash in, want to cash want family isn't there into retirement. They're not passionate per se the way Genie is, and they weren't and they weren't successful running the team the way Geenie was not.
Speaker 2: Sound like a jerk, but it's not like they're they're part owners of like some like the Charlotte Hornets.
Speaker 3: This is the Lakers.
Speaker 2: It's like and your dad and your whole family synonymous with the Lakers. I'm just shocked at the Bus family is like we want out totally, Like, yeah, the money's big now, you're right, billions of dollars will change someone's mind. But my one piece of advice, and I know we're gonna get to the NFL and Baker Neck can wait. It's just simple. Rich is like the doctor fill the show. Don't take or want anything. I've made it abundantly clear to my parents, my wife's parents, everyone. I'm like, when he's fired.
Speaker 3: Didn't you get your grandpa's pogo stick? Shut?
Speaker 2: Rich fought for that. I want his uh? I want his uh you know bicycle pump.
Speaker 3: Didn't you get his two pay collection? Rich got his uncle Bozo's tricycle. Rich wanted it.
Speaker 2: But I've already heard like family members be like, well, you know this piece of furniture is antique, and oh this was from of your great great grandmothers in Germany.
Speaker 3: And to me, I said it. I go listen, I from the old world.
Speaker 2: You don't want their humble collection. I'm gonna let me know. I don't want anything. I've told my wife's family. When whatever of you do in your state or will or whatever you know, figure out who do want any air if you try, I don't want any airlom if you try to figure out who gets the family shoehorn, like I said, I don't want I think Rich has a family clown horn talking about it. I don't want anything, and I think you should take the same lead. You don't want to fight with your family. You still want to talk to your family. Don't ask for anything.
Speaker 3: The end.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 9: This is Rob Parker and I'm here with an important public service announcement. Whatever you do, do not listen to the Paulie and Tony Fusco Show.
Speaker 3: Fox Sports Radio asked me to do a promo, but.
Speaker 9: I'm here to do a no mo, as in, don't listen to this show, no mo. The host are two fools from Philly who have the dumbest takes ever in all of sports talk.
Speaker 3: And you know, if I'm saying that, they must really be bad.
Speaker 9: I have no idea why Fox Sports Radio pick this up, but I know where to put it down in the trash can. So please don't listen to the Paulie and Tony Fusco Show.
Speaker 3: No way, no how. I don't want to keep Frank con it. Let's go. Thank you guys for being here in for the great.
Speaker 5: Damn you guys are going to give Zoom one more crack at it, and then if that doesn't work, I'll get him on the phone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll blame Zoom, but if it happens again, we're blaming Sam.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's you gotta blame someone.
Speaker 4: To blame.
Speaker 2: Maybe we should just blame Frank. Hey, Frank condo, what's up?
Speaker 3: Man? No, he can't hear.
Speaker 7: All right.
Speaker 5: In the business, we call this riffing you guys, riff and I'll get him on the phone.
Speaker 2: All right, let's riff the decompress. I know you want to bang your head through the wall right now. It's okay, it's nobody's fault, but.
Speaker 3: It is you never do. I mean the thing, it's it's someone's it's not Frank. I'll give you that.
Speaker 2: It's uh. Every time something happens. You know what our video guys fol likes to say. And this is for anyone at their job operator error, operator error. Right, Well that's ninety percent of the time.
Speaker 3: But whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as Danny G jokingly said, better with Frank than with Drew Brees.
Speaker 3: I just kidding, Frank. We love you, man.
Speaker 2: We say that respectfully for sure, and appreciate your time.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 3: Is he there?
Speaker 5: I have him on the phone now the way we used to do it in radio, right, Hy.
Speaker 7: Frank, I didn't hear?
Speaker 4: What was How did you make fun of me?
Speaker 3: What was? What did you say, better you than Drew Brees.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, so you killed my my intro line. That's what I was gonna do, Like I was the Chester yes or and I one hundred percent agree with you. I mean, I get out no, no, no, no, no, I'm on. I'm on with it.
Speaker 2: But when you were talking about hanging out with Drew Brees, though, I do love that mutual respect that you guys get, and I love how they embrace you, and that's sort of what I was getting at before. You know, it's the third time I'm asking this question, and it's not even that great.
Speaker 3: Of a question, I would say from the freaking question.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what, speaking of quarterbacks, we were talking about Baker Mayfield and how he was offered two years, one hundred and million. We were saying, how do you not take the money and run? You know, what are your thoughts when you hear stories like that? And I don't know, if you're watching it, you betting on yourself, which I'm sure you've done a million times in your career.
Speaker 4: No, I usually just acquiesce and go for the money that they initially offer me. Right pretty much, that's pretty much.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 4: I I hold out I've held out on some things before. Usually people have to talk me into it a little bit, but uh, I don't know. I'm usually pretty uh, pretty happy with I shouldn't say that I have held out for some differently, not that much. When you're talking about fifty to one hundred million, I mean, I can't even comprehend that. I don't think the average person could comprehend tens, if not one hundred, you know, hundreds of millions of dollars. So if you do, if you do, I can't. I can't. I don't think I would. I always looked at it when I was a kid watching Brett Fahr make all that money in Green Bay. I grew up in Wisconsin. I'd be like, well, why don't why can't you, Why don't you take less money and get some better receivers or get the defense. But that's just not the way. When you have all those agents around you and people talking to you about that type of stuff, your mindset's a little different. You do watch your value. You don't want to be treated crappy. And the owners are making a ton of money. I think that's the way they're looking at it. The league's making a ton of money. The owners are making a ton of money, and why shouldn't I make as much as possible? And maybe they don't trust the owner to put the money where the like that quarterback thinks they would put it. I'm sure that happened to Baker Mayfield where he's been. He's like, well, you told me I was gonna you know, if I took less money, you would do this, and that doesn't happen. That's the type of thing you just you can't trust that. It's business.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Frank and your business. I wanted to buy celebrities all the time. And guys in sports in the NFL, they love you. But do you still get a kick out of it when they recognize you for what you do?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well yeah. The coolest thing when I first started was was I was at a groundling show in Los Angeles there the improv troupe, and Will Ferrell walked in and said, hey, are you Frank? And I was like that. I mean, I was only in comedy for maybe five years at that point. And he's like the Madden, the Madden. He's doing that, you know, that's pretty cool. And the Madden is the thing that people always no when I met Chris Evans, I did. I did a thing where I brought my daughter to an ACE comic con. Maybe I've told you this before, but I brought her to an ACE comic con in Seattle. And Josh Broland had used me in the movie W for the George W. Bushification, so he's like, that was me doing you. So I the agent called it. You go, you can go meet Josh rolling right now. Only problem is he's with Chris Evans. I'm like, we'll deal with it. Then we go in. I'm talking to Chris, to Josh Broland for a little bit, and Chris Evans because I went, wait a second, who are you? And I go Frank Kelly and who goes, Oh my god, do some mad do Maden doing this? And it was so my daughter at thirteen years old thinks of the coolest guy in the world. So yeah, I mean, that stuff is I don't even know if it's for me at this point, but when my kids see something that that that gives me a little bit of a cool fee.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean it's wild.
Speaker 2: Like I said earlier, the fact that you bring people so much joy through impressions, but alone, Frank, you're just a great guy without the impressions. But there is such a layer, like if anything ever goes weird, Frank could always just do a impression you ever impressions to get out of, like a weird, uncomfortable moment.
Speaker 4: Morgan Freeman.
Speaker 12: And that's when he realized he didn't have enough money to pay for that dinner. So Frank slowly, but Charlotte crawled through five hundred yards. And look, if they're slop, I can't even imagine, or.
Speaker 4: Maybe I'm too don't walk too just to wash those dishes? Is that a real thing? Can you wash dishes at a restaurant?
Speaker 2: I know we were led to believe that when we were kids. If that's what they do, right, I saw Pee Wee Herman do it in his Big Adventure.
Speaker 3: That's that's uh my only reference to it.
Speaker 7: Yes, I seen.
Speaker 4: If anything reflects reality, it's Pee Wee's Big Adventure.
Speaker 3: Yeah you never? Did you have run ins with him on your come up at all?
Speaker 7: Or no?
Speaker 3: The Great Paul rub.
Speaker 4: Total wrong verbiage for that one.
Speaker 3: No, you never you know encounter, No, you never at the playhouse.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 4: The big one, because I've become really good friends with him, is John Gruden. I mean Gruden is the one I've done stuff with. You got I told Richness off the area. You got me doing cameos. He's like, you ever do cameo?
Speaker 6: Man?
Speaker 4: Like what you know that thing where you wish people happy birthday? Let's tell you what they're.
Speaker 6: There's no better satisfaction than wishing somebody.
Speaker 4: And this guy, he has the greatest cameos in the world. I'm doing a commercial for him on cameo. I can do it for me, but but I'm at I'm at the FFCA, and he's got he's always watching film, He's always got old video on there. He's like, I gotta do this one. First guy's birthday. Give me a second at the birthday. Rich It's great that you're fifty years old. You're breaking into the fifty year Mike Mark, like, well, the Peyton to run through the line and then he plays Peyton behind it, Like that's the greatest thing I've ever seen in my entire life.
Speaker 2: So I just think he said the Madden the Madden before. I feel like generationally you could see how old someone is, whether they want you to do the Madden or the Grindin In a way, I feel like I feel like I think.
Speaker 4: I went from a guy who pigeonholed himself as a comedian who did an impersonation of a guy named John, to a median who doesn't imperson an impression of a guy named John. It's went from j O h N to j O when I guess I had some George w and some Donald Trump in the middle Trankly and Joe Biden. Folks, I mean that those are all tertiary two that Gruden and Madden, and I know I milked it pretty well. So one of those things where it's it's the it's the duality of it. It's like, hey, everywhere I go, people you know, on the air want me to do it, and I'm like, maybe I'll get away from it, and they're like, well you do all right? Yeah why not? I mean, if you take yourself too seriously in your a comedian, you are moral. Yeah I was.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, you doing impressions is just I mean, you're the best at it.
Speaker 4: So I don't know about that, but I'm decent enough that I've pulled it off.
Speaker 2: Who else do you think is good in the game? Do you have that Aunt Rushmore who would you say.
Speaker 3: I know, there would be people.
Speaker 4: I mean people that you know Jay Farrow, I've got some friends like Joe Goddett and some people that are like dead on mimic. My friend John Holmberg, who's a radio guy. It's one of the best I've ever heard. He's like me if I were a little bit more, quite a bit more evil, but it's it's Uh. Sasso's fantastic. Aery Spears really great. I mean people have usually you have like five to ten that are your your calling card.
Speaker 2: Like you said, Saso, I picture Sasso doing Macho Man. I picture him doing Tony Soprano. So I'll put you on the spot. You worked with both of those dudes on Man TV. Who does a better Tony Soprano? Aery Spears or Will Sasso?
Speaker 4: Who, Uh, I don't know, I honestly, I mean they're both pretty freaking great. I would say Sasso because in the makeup, Will Sasso is a yes, forget about It's one of those kinds of things you thinking about right now. If somebody's talking about Tony Soprane, he said, first, I've got a door, Come on, I.
Speaker 3: Love that, And yeah, they both are so great.
Speaker 7: But you.
Speaker 2: Uh, obviously you're You're the guy that everyone thinks of with him depressions. Cavino saw a picture of you with carrat Top.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I saw karrat Top back in the day. Apparently you guys are pals. I saw him, and I was so I went in thinking like, I don't know if I'm gonna like this.
Speaker 3: He was fantastic.
Speaker 4: He's most unbelievable.
Speaker 2: I feel like he's sort of underrated because I think everyone's saying, oh, what is he gonna do?
Speaker 3: He pulled He's great.
Speaker 4: Jeff Die I think said this on Rogan. I think he said he's better than all of us, and he's one hundred percent correct. I mean, carrat Tops show is basically a living set of memes. He is social media on stage, but the music cues, all that stuff is just unbelievab. I mean, I would like I would love to see whoever's working the lights and the sound cues during that's its own show. But he's very, very funny. People don't realize it's not just him doing U puney props. He doesn't really even do much of that. It's great props with thought behind him. There's an actual joke, and uh we went in my wife and I went to Vegas and uh then he did a little thing with me in the audience. So it was fun. But he's a great, great guy. And again I keep tying Gruden, but this is true. Gruden goes to see him all the time.
Speaker 3: That's what.
Speaker 2: Yeah, carrat Top wrote, Uh, he's with the one and only Frank Calyando.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Literally one of the funniest people I know. So he was giving you props on social media.
Speaker 3: By the way, is that karrat Tops thing.
Speaker 2: When I first started dating my wife, Frank, we happen to go see carrat tup. We're in Vegas, and he gave us a little shout out on the ois and and and made me feel really cool, Like, you know, he's.
Speaker 4: Very don't don't feel that cool. I know that whenever there's somebody there, everybody, most people in Vegas unless they're a huge, huge, huge headliner. That's that's the thing people do. When I had my Vegas show, the thing is you get people to come in and then you pop it out there, and that's kind of like a little advertising type of thing. But it's cool to get of course, cool to get to get called out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Frank Caliendo on the Cavino and Rich Show in for DP, it's a he's a pleasure. Thanks again for your time, Frank. We appreciate you.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: John Madden, obviously you talked about him. Have you accepted Nick Cage as the role? Because I feel like last time we talked you rolled your eyes a little bit about it.
Speaker 3: Have you accepted it yet?
Speaker 4: I mean, I mean, I people all. It's more that people keep talking to me about it. I'm like me or Nick Cage. I'm thinking Nick Cage for my life story?
Speaker 7: All right?
Speaker 4: If I could have Nick Cage.
Speaker 6: Oh, I'm Frank Caliendo and I'm the guy who does a John impression John Madden, John Gruden, doesn't matter.
Speaker 4: Use it where you will, dude.
Speaker 2: It is kind of tough though, because you still see that the Nick his face is so famous. We've actually interviewed Nick Cage, right and from our perspective, imagine him sitting like right across the table from us. Like the whole time, I got all these questions lined up, but I'm looking at his famous face and it's throwing me off. Like there's Nick Cage right there in a white teach sure, and his face is so famous. I think that you know, you still see it, even though he gained all that weight and the prosthetics and everything else, you still see his face in John Madden.
Speaker 3: So I'm actually really curious.
Speaker 6: Why do you keep asking me about karent Top. I don't understand this.
Speaker 4: Line of questioning exactly. Yeah, I mean, he's so famous. I mean people, when you're that famous, it's I don't know how much of a regular life you can have. So I listen. I was I think I told you guys this. They called me to have a zoom call with Nicholas Cage about that movie, and I was like, no, They're like why not? I was like, because I want to hang out with Nicholas. I want to go. If I'm gonna, you know.
Speaker 11: Give him the Madden recipe, if I'm going to talk about where you put the voice in your mouth and sound like your sounds like you're eating a full lemon right there, and you're not getting rid of lemons or starting the pull lemon, just like Will Sashel.
Speaker 4: So if I'm going to give that up, I want to hang out with him for a day. I want to walk around and you know, see exotic animals.
Speaker 6: Here's my monitor lizard. Frank, what would John madd say?
Speaker 4: You know, I'm going to go through that. I want to have the Leslie Stall walka talk. That's what I want to be a part of. So but they then they just went on. I think he's gonna sound kind of like Nicholas case Boom. That guy looks like he just got hit by a freight.
Speaker 2: Train, you know, Frank, guy, I gotta ask you one of my favorites. You did one of the last times we talked. We're having some fun with Romo, who got in some trouble lately.
Speaker 11: Oh jim Oh, Oh yeah, Jimmy jim Z.
Speaker 4: We're gonna be working at the Jimmy John's, just so I can say, jim.
Speaker 7: We got jim Oh.
Speaker 4: I feel I love I really like Romo. So I don't know, and it's he grew up from me, not that far. He's that all happened in Burlington, Wisconsin, and I grew up in Waukeshaw. That's like, you know, just a little bit down the road. So uh yeah, I don't know. I feel bad kind of rich been endo. I don't know what's happening with him. Right, does he is?
Speaker 2: He's just like, I don't know, they're they're rearranging CBS's like partnerships in the booth, So I don't know. I like romo in the booths myself. I was gonna say, because you were very quick to do a great romo. Are there some guys that maybe they just don't have anything distinct about their voice?
Speaker 3: Like I haven't heard anyone do like a Tom Brady.
Speaker 2: Are there some people where it's like, yay, he really does nothing interesting.
Speaker 3: With his voice.
Speaker 2: He's just gotta regularly. He's a regular guy, is it? Are there people like that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's lots, and you don't see me or anybody else doing impressions for them.
Speaker 2: Say if you if you assume if there's someone very popular that none of you guys in that top tier have taken on or picked up, they're just sort of not giving you much.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, actors have movie roles, so you can reverse engineer it from that a little bit when you have. But people told me I could you could never do it, Adam Schefter, and I was like a career bay at this particular time. I believe I have a way in or the people you think don't have I remember when George W. Bush was first like the president. I was at mad TV. They're like, there's nothing to do with this guy, and like, I think there is. We'll figure something out, man. So it comes. There's stuff that comes along, and you just have to wait for the right moment and something has to be a defining moment for the person, and then I think there could be. So Tom Brady, he does have a relaxed, kind of almost vocal fry type of voice at times, so there's probably something to do that. But what is he what?
Speaker 3: What exactly?
Speaker 4: What's the what's the thing that you're making fun of him? Being a great looking guy that's got tons of money? That only so much there is to do with that. I'm not I'm not really pulling that off.
Speaker 2: Well, So I was getting what would you uh? What would uh? What would maybe John Gruden think though? About Tom Brady holding his nose when he jumps in the ocean.
Speaker 3: Did you see that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I saw that.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 4: You know that's a different kind of tuck rule right there. Man, Let's tell you what. Take a look. Come on, man, you're gonna get some water. You take a chance. You're talking about guys out there on the field not playing during the preseason. What are you doing? You put not a pair of goggles one of those bald cat types of things and a snorkel? Is that what you're doing in the pool? Come on, man, be a man, do something.
Speaker 2: Hey, you wouldn't do that, right, Frank Colendo, You wouldn't hold your nose jumping into the ocean or a pool or he was in Alaska. Didn't have anything to do with like the temperatures.
Speaker 3: No, no, no no.
Speaker 2: When we had that conversation, I read all our feedback and it had like something on his ears. Every every so often one comment would be like, what's wrong with holding your nose when you jump in the pool?
Speaker 3: I got to be it is like, yeah, you know, Rich.
Speaker 2: Offended one of our guys here, Dan Byer, because we were saying that only Lamos do that, and yeah, a lot of people take offense to that.
Speaker 3: Are you an hold your nose when you go in the.
Speaker 4: Water, guy, No, I'd rather risk the infection instead of, yes, having somebody make fun of me. Yeah, I don't think I do, but I know there are probably times where I have because I have gotten water in my ear, water and you know, it just feels like it goes in your brain, but not not consistently.
Speaker 2: And it goes back to what you said. When you see stuff like that, you got to take your opportunities to make fun of Tom Brady because there's not a whole lot, right, So.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well there was a roast about it.
Speaker 3: Oh that was yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, that is true.
Speaker 4: And I guess we'd have used up all the material.
Speaker 2: When you find those nuances and you have an original, that's the jackpot for guys in your line of work, I would imagine, right if you're the first to pick up on that, because then a lot of times you see people doing impressions of other people's.
Speaker 4: Impressions and nobody knows who's the originator. And it used to be if somebody broke out an impression, you'd have to find a different take on the person. Now everybody just steals area. I mean, it's I've been like, there's one I don't know it'll be good enough because I have to rev up to get into it. But it's Billy Bob Thornton. That's the one I've been doing, and it's kind of the Landman Billy Bob. But it's it's this thing where there's a there's a moment where you can figure out where he's coming from, which gives you his point of view and is basically he'll say something like a French word and then follow it up with a rift. They'll be like, that sounds pretty good, guys, we arive a dirty jeck ass like those types of moments like you hear those and you hear this elegant word or reva dirty and then jeck ass, so those and he's like, my kill, It's like, I sound like Hank Hill. I don't understand that. So he's it's kind of in there without going full cartoon Hank Hill. But it's what's that moment? And then how do you bring it out and make it more of a character and the impression. So that's the difficult thing. You might have to be able to do the sound alike, but what's the way to make it try and be funny. And the sports guys are always for me easier because the analysts, what do they do. They break down things in the sports world. So what do you do with the analyst and the you just break down things in the real world. And that's basically comedy for everybody as long as they know who the person is.
Speaker 2: Hey, Frank, you're the best in the game when it comes to this stuff. Comedy is great, But as a result, you've gotten a lot of sports perks along the way because you know you're you're so well received in that world. What are some of your greatest sport perk moments? I guess did you ever take batting practice or anything? Because you're a good athlete from what we hear, So what's the coolest you?
Speaker 4: I was decent. My dad was a minor league baseball player in the White Sox organization years and years and years ago. I grew up playing baseball nineteen eighty eight, fourteen and under AAU national champion. By the way, I was All American on that team eighteen and another team from Wisconsin had Craig Counsel on it. Whatever happened to him.
Speaker 3: That's really cool. That's really really cool, man.
Speaker 4: I've done things to take kids too. I've done batting practice, I've hit some I've hit some batting practice. I've it's more of having my kids meet people like my son got to meet J. J. Watt, Drew Breeze, those types of people. That's that's the cool But those are the coolest moments for me. So those are the perks I use the most. And I do the NBA lets me do lots of stuff, go to the Summer League and the NBA Cup and all those types of things. So oh F one. My daughter is a huge F one fan, a Jane Leclair fan, and I'm bent over there in like basically in the pits and stuff at F one with her. And that's that's that's real.
Speaker 2: Do you feel the pressure like doing BP from Warning Track Power? Like what's that like for you? Because you're a fan like we are.
Speaker 4: I'm fifty two. I would love to. I mean I was a kid who was when I was young. I was in high school looking at USA today in that little rectangle with all the batting averages. Yeah, of course, that's how we got all the in, you know. Andres Galaraga was always flirting with four hundred ye that type of deal, so I uh yeah, I mean there's a there's a nervousness. I remember we did it here with the Diamondbacks and Tory Lavulo was like, what do you got? You know, kind of like a Wilford brim looking at Roy Hobbs, and I just wasn't Roy Hobbs. I had the trombone case, but there wasn't a bad in it, so I went after I hit all right, I had a quick swing. But you don't realize how hard it is to hit a ball with a wooden bat if you haven't done it for twenty years.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, it's it's and the pressure involved in the moment. Yeah, right, Rich swears he's gonna jack right.
Speaker 4: Sure, I'm a pressure gang man, so yeah, there is that moment. You know what I what I did was I when I got into the box, I bunted a couple of times, and I laid a couple downs. You kind of know what you're doing. I'm like I used to small.
Speaker 2: What he went ap Otaco just to show he could frank You know you brought up your kids interestingly enough? Is it funny how I feel the same way, Perks. Now it's like you try to I feel like I try to impress my kids more than I've tried to impress women when I was single. Like, isn't there like a weird sense of like you you get joy out of Like what can I show my kids?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Like I said, when when a famous like a super famous person knows me and it helps my kid meet the person. That's that's pretty I would take that over almost anything. I mean, I did another one I pulled off was in Vegas and this guy's actually a big, big sports fan, Michael Bubla, my wife, my daughter. We went to go see Michael Boublay and bou Blaz is doing an Elvis impression. He's like, I'm no, Frank, Callianda and my wife during the show, because do you think you think he does that every time?
Speaker 7: I like, I don't know.
Speaker 4: And then he dedicated a song to Juliette Kellyando my daughter. Wow, yeah yeah, and then she's like, what did you do that? Kind of like it was almost it was it was almost Avengers.
Speaker 7: What did you do?
Speaker 3: That's awesome? Man, Frank. You know, I got I gotta.
Speaker 2: I gotta give Frank some props because not that he's keratop, No, not those. I gotta give you props, Frank, because I think because you do so many great impressions, people don't realize what makes Frank awesome, and it's what he does with the impressions, Like the content is hilarious, Like if you if you did an impression, but you did the impression not saying anything that funny.
Speaker 3: It's just an impression.
Speaker 2: I I just love your ability to like write great material for your impressions and you know also just roll with the improv on it.
Speaker 3: That's like that's the skill right there.
Speaker 13: No, yeah, I put a little bit of me. I put a little bit of me, and those impressions and I think that's all. They all come back to the same reference points all the time. So there is that, but it's the same thing. The thing that you guys like about me is the thing that might drive somebody else crazy. So and as far as impressions that aren't that funny, I probably have a ton of those two that are just like single and triple word impressions.
Speaker 3: So well, we appre we appreciate you. Frank.
Speaker 2: Sorry, sorry for the technical issues earlier, but you to man, I mean, this is I.
Speaker 7: Can't believe you kept me out. What did you lose? Drew Brees.
Speaker 3: We got we got Drew in about uh. We got Drew in about twenty Yeah.
Speaker 13: And now and now I've got I've got the the the uh, I've got the echo in here.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna go do some cameos, man.
Speaker 3: We have fun.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: If you want to see Hall of Famer Drew Brees, uh and you do, you can see him at Covino and Rich FSR on YouTube and chat live and join us.
Speaker 3: Perfect now.
Speaker 2: I believe he's sitting down right now getting ready to hang here with Cavino and Rich. We're talking about Hall of Famer. We're talking about NFL analysts for Fox Sports and partnership with DirecTV for business to talk about some Sunday ticket NFL red Zone.
Speaker 3: There is my guy, your guy, Drew Brees on the Covino Rich Show. It's up Drew.
Speaker 7: So yes, how we're doing.
Speaker 2: We're doing great. See it's NFL Hall of Famer Drew Brees. That's the official title movie. Every time he's introduced, I heard he wants to be referred to that one. Congratulations, man, it's so awesome.
Speaker 3: Dude.
Speaker 14: I got an honorary doctorate from Perdue this year too, so you're.
Speaker 7: Gonna have to throw a doctor in front of that as well.
Speaker 2: Doctor Drew Brees on the show.
Speaker 3: That is so great. I love that we have so many questions for you.
Speaker 2: Thanks for your time, appreciate you being here in for Dan, Patrick, Cavino and Rich When it comes to the NFL Hall of Fame, I mean, obviously you're you're a man that does your prep. You made it this far, But how much prep goes into that speech?
Speaker 7: So much?
Speaker 3: Real.
Speaker 14: Yeah, it's one of the probably one of the hardest things I've had to prepare for, because you just have so you have a limited amount of time.
Speaker 7: You know, and yet you've got this entire not just career but life.
Speaker 14: I mean, I mean, you become so reflective over the last you know, eight months, you know, ever since they now that Hall of Fame, and it's like, how can I possibly convey all of my gratitude and appreciation and thank all the people I want to thank in the.
Speaker 7: Amount of time that that you're given, you know.
Speaker 14: I mean, really, it's like you're writing a book and then you have to condense the book down into they tell you eight to ten minutes.
Speaker 7: I was I was about twice that. Yeah, but.
Speaker 14: You want to do it in a way too that like, look, you recognize a lot of people that are in the stands are sitting out in the in the hot, humid sun for two and a half hours, So you're trying to entertain them a little bit, you know, with stories and you know, some some laughter, but of course the emotions are going to come out, and you just want to properly convey that to all the all the people that were such an important part of the journey.
Speaker 2: You know, again, you've done it all. But I got to ask, do you start getting nervous about that? Do you feel the nerves so much preps such a big moment, does it get nerve wracking for you?
Speaker 14: Yeah, definitely, But but honestly, I would say, look like I mean that Hall of Fame experiences, it's all the time leading up to it, in the anticipation, but then you know, you're you're you're in Canton for five days and there's all these unbelievable things that you're doing, and a lot of it. I think they intentionally keep a surprise from you so that they get your you know, authentic reaction and emotion to it. You know, starting with there's a toast in the bus gallery on Thursday night, you know, during that week, and I remember walking to that room and of course it's already you know, just an epic experience with all the busts lit up, but it's kind of that dim feel. And then all the Hall of famers are in there, and here's me and Joe Green and Willing Lanier toasting us all. And then I reach over and I'm clinking glasses with Lawrence Taylor and I'm like, dude, where am I all?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 14: Like I just got transported to this this unbelievable place. And then the gold Jacket dinner, you know, when you kind of walk walk through the isle of guys and they're welcoming you into the Hall of Fame, and Joe Montana, who is a childhood idol of mind, is putting on my gold jacket, and all that leads up to the enshrinement and then finally it's like the party that night you can just kind of relax and cut loose. And that was really a big celebration for everybody who came in town to be a part of that moment. But I mean, just so many elements of the experience that all wrapped into just all that feeling and emotion.
Speaker 7: Man it was awesome.
Speaker 2: Drew, We're the same age and Joe Montana was also a childhood hero. Mind, so that must have been a cool moment for you as you're in your forties. Do you find yourself getting more emotional when you're doing things with your kids and everything?
Speaker 3: Like what happened to me? Like, do you feel like you have the emotional Drew Brees now or what?
Speaker 7: A thousand percent? Man? One thousand percent.
Speaker 14: Here's the other thing about the speech, So, I mean there were so many different iterations of the speech, you know. I mean I practiced it, you know, I mean I actually walked. I went to the high school stadium here in town, and I stood on the bleachers and I gave the speech to the field as if I was in the I was trying to I was trying to put myself in the moment so many times, visualize it, like you know, the people in the state. I mean, I really and like I cried. I cried fifty times writing this speech.
Speaker 2: How did you feel making Sean Payton cry when he found out he was going to introduce you?
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, well that was awesome. I was trying to find a way to surprise.
Speaker 14: Him, you know, by asking him to be my presenter, and so I was actually going to fly to him, you know, I was going to go to Denver or you know, wherever he was and surprise him. So my wife and his wife were kind of, you know, planning this, and then all of a sudden, I just happened to FaceTime him and he was with all of the Saints guys. They were they were they were on a golf trip, and I was like, Okay, this is actually the perfect moment because he's got all these people around him too, and so I I think, I think you got a very surprised shot and then emotional Sean Payton, just because it came out of nowhere. You know, It's maybe like the knock for me, you know, when Dan Fouts comes to knocks on my door and I you know, you have no idea that's gonna happen.
Speaker 7: You just totally get set up. Yeah.
Speaker 14: I think normally we're used to seeing a pretty fiery, intense Sean Payton, you know, and so you got to see a different side of them.
Speaker 3: That was cool.
Speaker 2: Speaking of Sean Payton, you guys have history. Do you talk about what's going on in Denver nowadays? Like do you have a text thread going on about bone Knicks? Like are you always chopping it up back and forth about stuff like that.
Speaker 14: Yeah, here's the thing, Like, I've got a great relationship with bon Nicks. We've had a lot of conversations over the last few years, you know, as he was was drafted by the Broncos, and I mean just talking quarterback, play, talking preparation, talking a lot of things.
Speaker 7: Certainly stay in touch with Sean Payton a lot of guys.
Speaker 14: How about this, Sean Payton sent me a picture from the Broncos facility of all the people in the Broncos facility that I have a connection with, you know, like former teammates of mine that are there, coos, et cetera. There's twenty two guys in the in the Broncos organization that I have a connection.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's crazy.
Speaker 7: So so I I know, I mean that that that's probably the team.
Speaker 14: There's probably more people in the Broncos organization that I know are playing with the Saints organization right now. You know, it's amazing what what what you know the turnover that happens in five years. But but yeah, no, I mean I stay connected with those guys.
Speaker 7: All the time.
Speaker 2: Here we Drew Brees filling it for Dan, Patrick Cavino and Rich Now Drew, Hey, I'm sorry signing up, Doctor Drew Brees. Doctor Drew Brees, hang out.
Speaker 7: At least for the next you know, till the end of the year.
Speaker 3: Doctor Brees.
Speaker 7: Doctor.
Speaker 3: We all know how hard it is to win a Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: You're one of the greatest of our lifetime, one of the greatest of all time, and as you know, it's you got one, but it's hard to get there. Everyone talks about Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Joe Burrow, bo Nicks. Everyone's like, oh, they'll get one one day. They're not all going to get one. Is there a guy that you think you're pretty certain what at some point get one?
Speaker 3: Because it's so hard. It's so hard.
Speaker 2: I mean like when you think about like the greats like you, it's no one's guaranteed to get two, three, four or five any for that matter.
Speaker 14: Yeah, you know, different different than other sports. Yeah, where there's a seven game series. You know, in most cases the best team wins, Right, there's times where they go down, they lose game one, maybe they lose the first two games, but then they figured it out, they battle their way back.
Speaker 7: They make the adjustments. That is.
Speaker 14: That is the thing about a one game playoff is that anything can happen, and we see it every year. There were times in my career where I felt like we had the best team, you know, and and and maybe we didn't win, you know, and I know, and then there's times where man, you just kind of catch fire at the right time and you're an as sending team, and and and it all goes your way.
Speaker 7: So that is that is.
Speaker 14: Look, it's the tough part, you know, of the NFL, but it's the exciting part. And that's why I think it's great. It's the greatest part in our country. And it's why everybody loves it so much.
Speaker 2: What did they say, more people, more money has made, and more people watch the NFL than every other American sport combined, which is wild.
Speaker 14: I mean, look, when you say that of the top one hundred most viewed shows in the US in a year, it's like ninety seven of them are NFL games, right, I mean that that tells you all you need to hear right there.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 7: It exciting, it's must see TV. You want to watch it live.
Speaker 2: It's the only sport that we said the other day, you could watch two teams that you have no care for, Like baseball, you're watching your team, NBA you might be watching your tea. NFL, you could watch two last place teams and still be locked in.
Speaker 7: It's also the parody of it. Yeah, I think seventy percent.
Speaker 14: Of games come down to the last possession. You know you think about that too. I mean, it doesn't matter who's playing any given some day. You know, anybody can beat anybody. It's a lot of good players out there, and it's typically you know, two, three, five plays in a game that will determine the outcome of the game. But no, I mean, look there there are there are so many good quarterbacks out there. There are so many guys that I enjoy watching. I mean you mentioned a few.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which one of those? Do you think? Which one of those? I mean, like you said, it's.
Speaker 14: One day, I think I'll start with Josh Allen because I mean, look, he's he's certainly a fan favorite.
Speaker 7: I'm a huge fan of him.
Speaker 14: I love the way he plays the game, I love the way he's he's evolved.
Speaker 7: I think as a player. You know, when he first came in this league.
Speaker 14: He was super raw, unbelievable talent, unbelievable athlete. Man, he's really playing the quarterback position at a high level. You can just tell how much his teammates love him, how much the community loves him. He means so much to Buffalo in that market. I would love to see him get one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that he cares. He cares so much too.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, he cares so much. Man. You feel like he just shoulders so much of the burden.
Speaker 14: Yeah, you know at all times, And and look that I was gonna I was then going to go to to Lamar Jackson.
Speaker 7: I was gonna then gonna go to Joe Burrow.
Speaker 14: Like I feel the same way about those guys as far as like there what they mean to their teams, right, and to those franchises. The problem has been they all got to go through Mahomes, you know.
Speaker 7: I mean it's just.
Speaker 14: Like, look maybe what you know Peyton had to go through with Brady, right, you know, how many how many Super Bowls does Peyton Manning go to if it wasn't for Tom Brady, right? You know, So there's there's there's always those epic battles, you know, whether it's the franchises. Really it's the quarterbacks, you know. So that's kind of what's happening on the AFC side, you know. And then and now you got the NFC side, which you know, the way that that Seattle looked at the end of last year, and and they've got so many guys returning, and you know, you feel like they're the team.
Speaker 7: To go through. But then the Rams just built this super team.
Speaker 3: True, doctor Drewes. True.
Speaker 2: I'm a I'm a Niners fan. Everyone tell everyone tells me my team is too old? Am my forty nine ers too old? Or could they stay healthy? I still feel like that window's not closed, especially anytime Shanahan's your coach.
Speaker 14: No, I mean I was just about to say I would. I'll never bet against Shanahan. I think he he he did a masterful job, you know last year and coaching that team through a lot of injuries and through a lot of adversity, and look, they had a chance to win the division in the end, I mean, pretty remarkable after what they went through and looked solid.
Speaker 7: Did a great job. Obviously he's he's.
Speaker 14: Now with Tennessee, but I mean that's that's the toughest division in football. In my opinion. You know, the Niners have an uphill battle with the Rams and the Seahawks, but no, I mean I don't count them out.
Speaker 2: Ever, he Drew Brees on the Cavino and Rich Show, speaking of quarterbacks. You ever, I imagine you watch these shows on Netflix or Hard Knocks, You ever wish you were a part of those series? And what would we have learned about? Drew Brees?
Speaker 3: Do you watch them? Do you enjoy them?
Speaker 7: I do? I love it. I love ball.
Speaker 14: I mean, here's the thing, you know what I love. I've watched the first episode of the Seattle one. I think there's another episode out there.
Speaker 3: Watch new one tonight three.
Speaker 14: Yeah, you know what I love is like. Look, there's obviously a lot of big personalities in the NFL. There's a lot of big personalities on every team.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 14: Mike McDonald, I think is a is a fascinating dude, you know, very intellectual, but like a football guy, you know, in like kind of a football junkie. And I think he looks at it from a lot of different angles. I think he's got like a unique leadership ability and the guys really really seem to respond to him. He's very authentic, not trying to be somebody. He's not like, He's just you know, I I I like learning about guys like that, you know, a guy who normally, you know, attention would go to, you know, everybody else. And yet those behind the scenes you know, shows give you the opportunity to learn more about eyes that you Otherwise you wouldn't have a chance to get to know.
Speaker 3: Maybe what would we learn about you?
Speaker 2: Like Kirk Cousins, we found out he shops at Great Clips and your whole cold Yeah, you know, you learn all these silly things. What is it about Drew Brees that you think people don't know?
Speaker 7: Man, I'm a pretty just you know, routine oriented dude. I love to cook. I love to cook.
Speaker 14: I think I think that camera would just be getting me on the grill a lot, you know, cooking up steaks for the boys. You know, that's all they want to do is eat. We're on the high protein diet. We're in the bulking phase, you know, as a family right now. Yeah, we're in the bulking phase with three high school boys playing high school football.
Speaker 2: And by the way, if you want to feel old, pictured Drew holding his kid after the Super Bowl. Oh, I know that that that that's one of those like, oh man, times moving, that's it.
Speaker 14: That's yeah, I know that that was that was that was wild. I think that that that probably aged a lot of us.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was like, man, by the way, Drew, you know, you're a great family guy everyone. You know, I should aspire to have the great family dynamic at Drew Brees. When you see some of these young players like Justin Herbert and his beautiful fiance Madison Beer and then Josh Allen with Hailey Steinfeldt.
Speaker 3: And some people, distraction, isn't it.
Speaker 2: I look at it as you're a happy guy with your wife or girlfriend, You're going to be more focused on the field if you're happy.
Speaker 3: Would you agree with.
Speaker 7: That one thousand percent?
Speaker 2: I feel like when people are locked into a relationship and they're happy, I think the guys that are single doing hell whoever knows, those are the guys that could get unfocused.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 14: I mean it narrows your priorities, you know, like when I'm not when I wasn't at the facility, you know, working to be the best quarterback that I could be, I was just wanting to spend time with my family. I was wanting to watch my kids grow up. I was wanting to coach their teams. I was wanting to take them to the park. That's all I wanted to do. So yeah, I mean, I think it gives you. It really narrows your focus and priority. You know, if it's it's your loved ones and it's the game, you know, and honestly, in order to be the best at the game, like this is what recharges your battery is spending the time with the family. I mean, that's what That's what fills your bucket, and it provides a ton of motivation for you as well.
Speaker 7: You know, you want to make those people proud.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Drew, you said narrow focus. So I got to ask you, Drew Brees here with coven On Rich. When I'm not here, I'm coach Rich. I feel like that's what I love doing so much, coaching my kids. How do you feel about like people wanting to specialize in sports? Did you have your kids like, did you want to expose them to every sports? Because I hear Pro's like you played everything and now I feel like my son plays baseball. I feel like it's an all year round thing, and you know, you want to play multiple sports, right, I'd imagine that's where you're you are leading your kids.
Speaker 7: Multiple multiple sports is the way to go.
Speaker 14: There's no question you you will be a better athlete in the long run by far. By playing multiple sports. You developed different movements, skill sets. You're in competitive sity situations. You know across the board, you're you're you're part you're parts of teams where you're going to play different roles. So you learn how to cope with that, You learn how to adjust to those situations. You know, you're dealing with a lot of disappointment and failure at times and learning how to overcome adversity. And so look, my concern with this, this pressure on parents and kids to specialize is yes, you.
Speaker 7: May look just like anything.
Speaker 14: If you're putting a billion reps to something, you're going to get better faster, but you're not going to be better in the long run.
Speaker 7: Like long run, you are better by being a multi sport athlete.
Speaker 14: Also, by doing that in the short term, you run risk of overuse, injuries, burnout, resentment, and in most cases, like you end up dropping that sport at some point and then you look back on that experience like, man, I just got robbed in my childhood because I was focused on this, you know, my entire childhood. I didn't have a chance to do these other things with my buddies or you know. And so it is at multi sport, without question.
Speaker 7: Is the way to go.
Speaker 2: NFL Hall of Famer doctor Drew Brees on the Cadno and Rich Show and for DP. Clearly things worked out for you, Drew. But uh, I've heard you say once that you you almost chose baseball over football. And speaking of multi sports, you ever think about like what that could have been some alternate timeline where like there's got to be that competitive side of you that was like, man, that would have been kind.
Speaker 7: Of cool, and that could have been the next King griff.
Speaker 14: Like Tarott I sat there for hours in front of the mirror, just like that kind of master, that King Griffy junior home run swing.
Speaker 7: You just kind of leave the bat back here, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you ever take BP by the way to see if you still got it?
Speaker 3: You ever use your connection to be let me take some VP.
Speaker 7: Absolutely absolutely still like you'll take one.
Speaker 14: I'll take one out over the right maybe not right center, definitely right field line any day.
Speaker 3: Can we see your best griffy swing. Still got it? You still got it?
Speaker 7: Ye? Yeah again again. I'm kind of bent down here.
Speaker 3: But it's the finish, Yeah, the finish.
Speaker 7: It's the swing and then you just kind of finished there.
Speaker 3: I know that.
Speaker 7: And then the bat.
Speaker 14: The bat just drops like we don't need to toss it, you know, we we just it's it's a mic drop, is what it is.
Speaker 7: It's just boll. I knew that was gonna happen. Mic drop.
Speaker 2: And we all do that playing whiffle ball. You know, we all did the same thing. I love that Drew Brees, you know, speaking of doing that in front of the mirror. The gold jacket, Man, do you look at yourself in that thro some dance moves out? Do you wear it around the house, like, tell us about it?
Speaker 3: Where where is it? And uh, how do you feel putting it on?
Speaker 7: I don't know, it's like sacred, you know what I mean. I had it on there. I obviously brought brought it home with me and it's it's sitting in my clause.
Speaker 14: I just I kind of look at it right now. I'm like, man, is that real? Like that that whole week really happened. It's still it's still pretty surreal.
Speaker 2: So it's just right up there in your closet with like your Henley's and a few sweaters.
Speaker 7: Right right next to the quartersztips. You know. Yeah, yeah, we heard that's got its own little special section.
Speaker 2: We heard a Joe Flacco on quarterback talked about how a lot of these trophies and things you think you'd put in like some cool like man cave or room or something, but they just sit somewhere. Are your accolades displayed or do you just have them sort of sitting somewhere.
Speaker 14: So actually I have an office where I put them in there, but honestly, the door stays closed, and it's.
Speaker 7: Just it's it's more, it's more so just to have a place to to keep them.
Speaker 14: I don't I don't walk in there and look at it to like give myself motivation or anything. You know, you know, they're just they're they're just there.
Speaker 2: I want to take you back to to a moment that I think we all remember.
Speaker 3: Like I said, like it was yesterday your final game.
Speaker 2: When you look back, is that like something because you did that so you could take in the moment. Do you remember that moment when you stopped by the tunnel turned around and looked everyone felt that moment with you.
Speaker 14: Yeah, well you know the bumber was it was COVID right, So no.
Speaker 7: No fans are in the stands, and you.
Speaker 14: Know, look, I I I knew, I knew that was you know, that was my last season.
Speaker 7: You know I knew that going into it, and you just you know, it was.
Speaker 14: That that last time with the Saints uniform on, you know, and and that that glance. I mean, I wish I could have spent more time just taking it in, but you know, obviously wish there would have been fans in the stands to be able to to share that with Yeah.
Speaker 2: Drew Brees joining us with direc TV for business Sunday Ticket, NFL red Zone. Let me ask you how you watch If we're gonna be talking some Sunday Ticket and red Zone. I'm a multiple games on multiple TVs. Covino's a red zone guy. How how does Drew Brees prefer to watch his Sunday football?
Speaker 14: No, I want to watch like if there is if there is a key matchup, a key game, like we said, man, two great quarterbacks, Like I just want to lock in on that one game and I want to try to pick. I want to try to play the game with them, right, Like as if I'm under center and hey, I know that defense, I know that coordinator, I know my matchup, and so literally, as situations come up, I'm just kind of rehearsing, like, man, here's what I'm thinking, Here's what I'm doing.
Speaker 7: And then also you're just reacting to oh.
Speaker 14: Man, unbelievable play right or great scheme right, like I'm gonna steal that one.
Speaker 7: Put that one in the high school playbook.
Speaker 2: Is there a schemer system you've seen where you're like, oh, wow, I would have really excelled there, Like like my Niners. When you see Kyle Shanahan's type of offense rock party, I mean if he in his wildest dreams one day would be like a Drew Brees. But when you see what party does, You're like, oh, I could have really excelled there.
Speaker 7: Well, so first off, pretty amazing.
Speaker 14: You go back to what was that like twenty thirteen, fourteen, fifteen wash to Redskins when it was Shanahan, McVeigh, Mike Dangle.
Speaker 7: Uh, you had you had, you had a few.
Speaker 14: You know, the guys that are now head coaches coordinators play callers that are running probably one of the more creative schemes. You know, this kind of started with McVeigh going to the rams doing a lot of this kind of like speed motion, you know, changing passing strength really quickly, just like totally discombobulating defenses. How do you adjust to that? And so you know, Shanahan's taking it to another level with just their ability to run the football on the zone run scheme, but to create these angles and look, he's got these weapons like a kittle and a use check that are just as good in the blocking as they are in the past game. And then you know, Mike McDaniel, that's one of the more creative systems I've seen. I'm really interested to see it with Herbert here in uh In in with In with the Chargers, so man I and Lafleur as well, he was part of that staff.
Speaker 7: So like I like watching I like watching.
Speaker 14: Those schemes just because of what movement and motion does to defenses and how you can run all of your same schemes. But man, you've just given him like window dressing that just creates confusion. So that's what I really like watching.
Speaker 7: You know, those guys as as well.
Speaker 14: As as well as Sean Payton and look, Kellen Moore with the Saints. I'm actually I'm actually gonna go to Saints Cowboys practice today and see those guys go at it. So I'm excited to see that. Brian Schotenheimer is one of my great you know, mentor's friends. He's my quarterback coach with the San Diego Charters back in the day. He's doing a great job with Dak in Dallas, so yeah, I like watching all his offenses.
Speaker 2: Listen, man, we'll let you get out with you day. Thanks, thanks again to Direct TV, Thanks Agains to Drew Brees. Appreciate you, man and look forward to talking to you again soon. Drew Brees, Hall of Famer and doctor thank you.
Speaker 3: Thanks for your time.
Speaker 7: Drew, appreciate it all right, go Its good to see you.
Speaker 3: Take it man,