Speaker 1: The human mind so annoying. It's one more thing I'm one thing.
Speaker 2: I know mine is.
Speaker 1: You've said this many times over the year years. I hope at some point humankind can do this. Maybe we can with neurallink or AI or something like that. You've said before that if you could live in someone else's mind.
Speaker 2: It's the most terrifying thing you could ever do.
Speaker 1: And I wonder, I wonder, I wonder how much similarity there would be and how much it would be, like this is what you think about because there are you know, obviously there are things that you know. We all have friends and family. We know the things that they're interested in and think about that you never think about, just like surface level, you know, like you think about golf a lot. Probably I never think about golf, So would just be interesting just that stuff like that.
Speaker 3: So this is so a stone our conversation. But I love this sort of conversation. If you were not only okay, so you're inside their head, you would be feeling what they feel as well or stream sense years.
Speaker 1: And that's sort of that's why I say mine instead of brain, allthough I supposed to be the same thing, but just yeah, yeah, yeah, it's the the way they you know, fully, fully perceive life on a daily basis as someone else, would be the most fascinating thing in the world. Like if you got at the end of the day and thought, God, I want to be an example. I'll use this as an example. You didn't think about sex at all today or something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but obviously, he says, reaching for the bong. So I would still retain my own consciousness. You'd have to be aware that I was being a tourist.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It gets very complicated, very fast.
Speaker 2: But I don't know we can handle it.
Speaker 4: I would want to live in a man's brain for a day, just any guys, because you guys think so much different. Like, for example, if I say, hey, if you're sitting there quietly, say hey, what are you thinking about? Nothing?
Speaker 1: That doesn't exist in my world. It doesn't exist in anybody's world. It's impossible to think about nothing. But it's but it's uh, but yeah, there's probably different levels of focus. Yeah right, right, I think, well, I don't want to get off on this because I have a specific agenda here that I'm setting up for.
Speaker 2: So I knew he had agenda.
Speaker 4: It always does.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So Uh. For instance, I am not a warrior almost at all. I I'd probably be better off if I was more of a warrior tea I don't. I just don't worry about things. And I, uh, my son has picked that up and now watching it in someone else where, I think, how do I get you to worry more? You should be worried more about this. You're not worried at all. I'm like that, So he got that for me. I'd be better off if I worried more. But I just don't worry about things. But I am a and this is probably worse then be like, I know warriors to the point of it's awful. I won't say who it is. But somebody I've known my whole life, which might be a hint, divulged to me the other day what a worrier they are, and they worry about everything all the time, and it sounds like just a tortuous way to live, to worry.
Speaker 3: I'm definitely closer to that side. I've tried to get better about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, this particular person just worries about so many things that are relatively mundane or the chance of that happening is so incredibly low. I can't imagine why you'd ever think about it.
Speaker 4: But that's me.
Speaker 1: We don't choose to these things and the how much we can correct them. I do not know. That's what I've been working on because I'm a perseverator on things that have already happened. There's no point in thinking about things that have already happened.
Speaker 2: And Derek Guya makes up words. What was that word?
Speaker 1: Focus on and keep repeating over and over and over on your your head, never heard it. You can't stop replaying the tape on things that have already happened that were you know, usually bad, always bad things. You know, what could have have done? Different? Different? Why did I do that? You know? That sort of thing that I do. I don't, at least worrying about future things, even that though it could be tortures. Every once in a while, you're gonna stop something bad from happening by worrying all the time. My thing is never going to do any good. That's done and gone. There's no point in thinking about that now.
Speaker 4: See, I identify with both of those I do. I do both. Yeah, me to a really almost pathetic level.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have a sense of humor about it. To your assertion slash question that you can probably manage it within a certain percentage. You can get like twenty percent more relaxed or twenty percent more forgiving of yourself, but you probably can't change that set point completely.
Speaker 1: So I've got a certain instance in my fairly recent life that was quite devastating, and you know, I won't be specific about it, but that I have really hard trouble not thinking about a lot every day. And so I went to my uh, you know, my favorite therapists, my chatbots for some advice on what to do here, and some of this stuff I thought was really interesting about the practical shift and the thinking. We get some sort of I'm gonna call it a sick pleasure. The chatbots didn't call it a sick pleasure, and that's probably the wrong term, but we're getting some benefit out of it. You know, Fear is a is a is a hit to the brain in the same way that excitement or joy is a hit to the brain. You're getting some hit to the brain from staying on these things that you like the or or maybe likes the wrong word. You've gotten so used to you can't imagine not having that feeling that seems to be what happens, and so we get stuck in that mode. Uh, and so you gotta you gotta like find a way to get past that. I'll just read what the the chatbots said, digging through lots of psychological research.
Speaker 2: On this sort of stuff.
Speaker 3: Your chat pot doesn't look like an anime school girl, does it.
Speaker 2: You don't have those thing? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I went more with a French Maid, but I spoll the Hey, it's a classic. The practical shift is to have other things worth thinking about. I feel like I was taught in psych one oh one in college, which was probably crap. I mean that was fifty years ago, forty five years ago. They probably decided that was all crap. I brought up to Uh. My wife was a psychology major years later because she was younger than me, and I brought up the idea of something that I learned in psychology once and she burst out laughing, what they taught you?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So I wonder if everything, but anyway, one thing I learned in psych class, uh was fun stopping Like you get negative thoughts and you try to stop them. And at least this advice current advice from this chatbot was that never works. Thought stopping is not something that you can do. It's it compared it to trying to hold a beach ball underwater. The further you push it down, the harder it tries to get back up. And thought stopping doesn't work. You have to think about something different as soon as the thought. As soon as the thought comes into your head. You don't try to push it away. No, focus on a different thing is the only way you can deal with it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's yeah, Okay, that's a little quibblesome by the chatbot. It's right, But I mean, I like I used to for a very fairly brief period of my life, maybe five ten years, I had a terrible fear of flying, just imagining the worst over and over again. And I finally engaged in thoughts stopping stop thinking about that, and then obviously you have to move on to something else.
Speaker 1: But and that works for you, I've not had any success with that. Maybe it's because I didn't follow it up with think about something else, which might is probably the key part. I just it's kind of like the old joke of don't think about a blue elephant. Don't think about a blue elephant, don't think about a blue eve and you you know, you know what happens there.
Speaker 3: And you must remember I have a mind like a steel trap as well.
Speaker 1: You know, don't think about X. Don't think about X. Stop thinking about X's is thinking about X. So that's the trap that I get into. Where there's empty space, your mind always fills it with something and has to. You've reinforced with your brain over and over over again, these thoughts that give some reaction in your brain that you're tethered to. Whether it's a positive feeling or a negative feeling, you're tethered to that feeling. That's your normal part. Your brain wants to pull you back to what it's used to, no matter what it is, which is troubling, a troubling thought. If you're you know, you got trauma in your life, or you grow up in a household where everybody this is probably why people are like this. If you grew up in a household I didn't, thank God, where everything was always stressful and fearful, your brain pulls you back to that because that is what it's decided. It's kept you alive this long. It's gotta be working. Let's keep doing it even if it's bad for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I had a good friend who discovered that about himself. It really freed him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I'm kind of having this occurrence to me. I don't have something that major, but I have always focused on these big negative things that happen in my life, and he just can't stop thinking about him, and they're not doing me any good. So what you need to do is you need to give your thoughts somewhere to go, something else to think about, and you know, you just choose a couple of things that you're gonna focus on. And for me anyway, instead of stop, go away, I've got to immediately fix up. No, we're gonna think about this like learning a new piano piece or whatever the hell is. I'm going to start thinking about, you know what really works for me, picturing smiting my enemies. Oh there you go, so satisfy that there you go. Yes, I've known people who's who's whose focus is that revenge on people that have wronged them, family members or whatever. That's all they think about. That's their happy place. Happy place is the wrong word. Comfort zone. That's their normal zone. And your brain normal your brain pulls you back to your what you've been doing your whole life, even if it's bad for you over and over and over again. That's that's a fascinating thought. So maybe some of you think I don't have any what I would consider negative regular thoughts that are holding me back good for you. But I do, and I've just got a I don't know. I don't know what my focus is gonna be par cheesy, I don't know. I need to come up with something.
Speaker 3: That A fascinating game of chance, end strategy jank are cheesy?
Speaker 1: Uh AnyWho? I don't know if that was of any use to anyone.
Speaker 2: No, I think it. I think it is. I absolutely.
Speaker 3: I am a firm believer that if you're conscious of your consciousness you can do better. You have at least be aware of the things you're thinking and name of them. I'm a big fan of that, because once you do that, it's there's so much that's not inevitable neurologically, it's just habit or a comfort zone.
Speaker 1: Almost tons of stuff that we think is exactly what you said, it's not inevitable. It's just a habit, and maybe a very bad habit that we developed a very very very long time ago, and then we just hang onto, which is really weird that we do that to ourselves. I had another point I was gonna make. Oh, so, the thing that the chatbot said, based on the recent psychology is it's gonna feel really weird and contrived for quite a while. That whenever you have these thoughts, you say, Okay, time to think about whatever it is I'm gonna choose to think about, and I better come up with something soon. It's gonna seem contrived and forced. But over time your mind will start to say, well, I guess he's not interested in that anymore. Let's switch over to this. I hope that's what happens.
Speaker 4: Wow. Okay, I've been a little eye rolling through this podcast because I have zero control over that. Like, whenever I've tried to do the whole, don't think about it, think about something else that almost like magnifies it.
Speaker 1: More, right, right, And I think that's why it said it's gonna seem contrived and forced and pointless for quite a while. But I love the idea of the brain finally saying well, I guess we're not thinking about this anymore. Let's shift our attention over here.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I remember in your early days of thinking about alcoholism. I remember you use the phrase you're trying to fix your brain with your brain, yeah, which obviously fascinated by that notion.
Speaker 2: It's not impossible, but.
Speaker 1: It's a it's a task the human mind does have the ability. We all sense this. I think to almost think about it as a separate thing, like which is weird it's function you mean, or like it's like it's two things at once, the fixing your brain with your brain. I mean, I'm talking right now about something my brain.
Speaker 3: Does, right or I should be talking about something my brain's doing right now, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: And then thinking about this and thinking about something else at the same time.
Speaker 1: I'm really, really I got so excited about this last night because I've been doing this my whole life without even really noticing it. And I started having these conversations with different chatbots to like nailed on, isn't this what everybody does? And they were like, no, second, not what everybody does all the time, Like I don't have to live this way. I can let not do this. This is an option. I'm almost thrilled about this idea of starting a new path of trying to switch to something else, which I've I've done, We've all done, We've all had things we don't want to think about, and you try to change it, but it doesn't necessarily work all the time. I like the idea that if you keep doing it, keep doing it, your brain decides, all right, enough of that. Apparently we're done with that chapter. The door on that one, and move on.
Speaker 4: Good Jack getting rid of the RBF changing his brain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm gonna be perfectly fixed by the time I'm eighty eight and died.
Speaker 2: Personal development, Who are you?
Speaker 1: I'll be just great on my deathbed. That last five minutes, I'll be a joy to be around.
Speaker 2: Perfect man. Jax becomes so likable.
Speaker 1: Oh oh oh the death rattle.
Speaker 2: That's too bad. And I lost track of the podcast about two minutes ago. I was thinking about in and out Burger.
Speaker 1: I just haven't I've been thinking.
Speaker 4: About damn it, Michael.
Speaker 1: Now that now you may hungry the focus to a big mac. Well, I guess that's it. There's the death rattle. That's hilarious.