Speaker 1: What's up, everybody? Stephen A Smith here.
Speaker 2: Recently we made news because the great Bill O'Reilly announced a tour that's coming nearest to you in the very very near future. Get your tickets now for this. It's called Three Americans Live, March thirtieth at Live Nation's Flag Star at the Westbury Music Fair on Long Island. Don't miss the very first show as myself, Chris Crolomo, and yes, that man Bill O'Reilly take our different ideas, our different backgrounds, our different beliefs across the country to demonstrate that respectful, meaningful and even fun conversation.
Speaker 1: Those are the things that make America as great as it should be.
Speaker 2: The show will be spirited, unscripted, and all three of us will let it fly as we discussed the topics everyone is thinking about these days. There'll also be questions from the audience We're not running. Tickets are officially on sale now with pre sale code USA at three Americanslive dot com. VIP packages are available with the opportunity to meet and take photos with myself and both those fellas that Three Americans Live March thirtieth at the Westbury Music Fair on Long Island. Additional dates in cities to be announced. Don't miss it. Trust me, you'll get a kick out of it. Lebron James Luka, Doncic Joy Read and Flavor Flave.
Speaker 1: What the hell do all of these people have in common?
Speaker 2: They're about to be on The Stephen Nate Smith Show right now.
Speaker 1: What's up, everybody?
Speaker 2: Welcome to this latest edition of The Stephen AI Smith Show, coming at you as I love to do at the very least three times a week over the digital airwars of YouTube, and of course iHeart Radio is always I like to take a moment to thank my subscribers and followers for supporting the show as you so successfully do. We're nearing one point one million subscribers on YouTube over the last.
Speaker 1: Twenty three months or so.
Speaker 2: We've got millions of downloads courtesy of our heart Radio. I can't thank y'all for the love and support enough. Just keep it coming. I'm gonna keep on coming. I'm always gonna thank y'all to start off the show, because I wouldn't be here if y'all didn't want me here. To continue to like and follow the show, just click the bell and get notified for all of our newest content and YouTube, shall consider yourself the latest member of the steven A.
Speaker 1: Smith's your family.
Speaker 2: And while you're doing that, please make sure to pick up a copy of my New York Times bestselling book, Straight Shooter, a Memoir of Second Chances and First Takes, now in paperback.
Speaker 1: Just go to Straight Shooter book.
Speaker 2: Dot com to get yourself a copy once to get in there, straight shoot a book dot com to get yourself a copy. I got a lot of stuff to get into today.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: A few days ago I sat down with the One and the Only Flavor Flave. I can't wait for y'all to see me talking to him. Of course, there was some big time basketball that took place at the Crypto dot Com Arena in Los Angeles, California, last night, with Luka donciking his former team, the Dallas Mavericks for the first time. We'll get into all of that because there's some things percolating and developing within the National Basketball Association and I think y'all need to know about and so is there really going to discuss that right here on this show. But the first order of business to get into is, believe it or not, the news media. That's where I'm going to get started. I'm going to get started with the media headlines emanating from MSNBC itself. With a network's new president, Rebecca Cutler, decided to remove Joy Reid from her primetime slot. Reed show, aptly named The Readout, had been a weeknight fixture at MSNBC at seven pm since twoenty twenty. She often interviewed politicians and other newsmakers on various political issues that crossed race, culture, and social justice. Meanwhile, Simone Sanders, Townsend, Michael Steele, and Alisha Menendez, who currently serve as host of the Weekend another MSNBC program, will eventually move into tillor seven pm week day timeslot. However, reaction from inside the network was felt when Rachel Maddow, one of MSNBC's biggest stars, if not its biggest star, weighed in on Reid's situation Monday Night. Matdow said this quote. In all of the jobs I have had, in all of the years I have been alive, there's no colleague for whom I have had more affection and more respect for than Joy Reid. I love everything about her. I have so much more to learn from her. I do not want to lose her as a colleague here at MSNBC, and personally, I think it is a bad mistake to let her walk out the door. It is not my call and I understand that. However, it is what I think end quote that was Rachel Mattow. A lot of people have thrown out opinions. We've seen people supporters of Joy Reid speak adamantly and emphatically online and support of her. You've got some folks calling for folks not to watch MSNBC anymore, etc. And obviously, folks, a lot of folks out there are going to point to race and race playing a role in all of this, because with all of the changes that are taking place, why does she have to be the show that goes.
Speaker 1: We're not gonna do that.
Speaker 2: Today, because if we have to do that today.
Speaker 1: We'd have to do it every day.
Speaker 2: Ladies and gentlemen, We're gonna have a real frank discussion right now about what transpires when it comes to.
Speaker 1: Us as black folks.
Speaker 2: We come out of the womb knowing we've got to be twice as good to get half as much. This is not new, and as a result of that, one would argue we at a decisive disadvantage at times. Okay, fine, there's racism, there's prejudice out there.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's true. Not in every case, not in all cases, but in some cases.
Speaker 2: Fine, we just have to be careful when we make that argument. I've invited Joy Reid on this show, and I'm looking forward to her accepting my invitation so we can talk.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you how.
Speaker 2: I feel about Joy read First, I respect the hell out of this woman. She is highly intelligent, very very knowledgeable, very passionate.
Speaker 1: She has a lot to say.
Speaker 2: She is more than a conscientious observer, and she is fearless in calling out what she believes to be in equities, unfairness, and the like anywhere, but especially as it pertains to the black community, and obviously as it pertains to left this to folks on the left. She is a Democrat. I'm not saying whether she's a Democrat officially or not. I'm just saying she leans left. Obviously you're on MSNBC, that is the belief. But we can't stop there, y'all. I saw what Megan Kelly said about her, and how Megan Kelly basically to some degree, took joy and her being asked I take no joy, and see Enjoy read acts.
Speaker 1: From that time slot.
Speaker 2: As the reports go, she was making about an annual salary and a range of about three million a year.
Speaker 1: I don't want any money taken out of her pocket.
Speaker 2: But when we want to bring up race as the cause for her being gone, I don't think we're serving ourselves. Well, Michael Steele is going to be there as well as a replacement along with Alicia, And you gotta remember Menandez.
Speaker 1: Is right there is It's hard to make the race argument.
Speaker 2: When her replacements are reported to be three individuals that already have a weekend show on the network, and they're going to be inserted in a network.
Speaker 1: And I'm just reading from the reports here. Okay. I have not spoken to Joy Reid. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I've had the pleasure of meeting her on a couple of occasions. I certainly respect her, and I'm not here to castigate her in any way, but we do have to talk about the business in a very, very honest and fair fashion. Joy Reid was incredibly outspoken against the Trump administration, as has always been the case. Since election, her ratings have dropped by forty seven percent. Forty seven percent, Ladies and gentlemen, you don't keep your job when stuff like that happens.
Speaker 1: You just don't.
Speaker 2: The business doesn't allow for that to happen. When you rate high, tolerance is high. When you rate low, tolerance is low. Let's look at the reports from here. It talked about how Reed will be replaced at the seven pm hour by a tree over MSNBC Weekend hosts Kamala or former Kamala Harris advisor Simone Sanders, Anti Trump, Republican Michael Steele, and Alisia Menendez, the daughter of former Democratic Senator and convicted fell in Bob Menendez. Okay, that's what it says here in the report. Okay, it goes a bit further. The readout Stuffer the major slump is according to Newsweek, the readout suffer the major slump.
Speaker 1: In ratings since the twenty twenty four election.
Speaker 2: Nilsen Media Research revealed their Red Show averaged around seven hundred and fifty nine thousand viewers in early to seventh in early December, a forty seven percent decline from the one point four million average it achieved in twenty twenty four leading up to the election day. Her ratings basically with Damn near cutt in half. On February twentieth, Reached Sho was reported to have around seven one hundred and seventy eight thousand viewers, while Fox News Is Laura Ingram attracted an estimated three point four million in the same slot Ladies and Gentlemen. That's three point four million to seven hundred and seventy eight thousand, and repeated again, that's.
Speaker 1: Three point four million. The seven hundred and seventy eight thousand that can't be ignored.
Speaker 2: When we make the argument and we want to bring race into the equation, we gotta have it. We gotta have the evidence. It can't be subliminal. It can't be something that's assumed. It can't be something that can that that that is rife with plausible deniability.
Speaker 1: We gotta know it. Now.
Speaker 2: If you want to sit up there and say Trump had something to do with it, that's fine, because he's coming after them. He's coming after g He's coming after mister Brian Robinson for Comcast, and they're left leaning, you know, a news outlets channel.
Speaker 3: Rather, he's definitely doing that. We already seen him sue.
Speaker 2: ABC and George Stephanopolis. We already see him going after MSNBC. Donald Trump had an instant comment on Joy Reid on his Truth social platform in the immediate after Matthew her being let go, diss a hard and enjoying her departure. He's coming after folks. So now what it does is it provokes a bigger conversation about the networks themselves and what are they gonna stand up for or they gonna be strictly about their bottom line and.
Speaker 1: Caltow to the President of.
Speaker 2: The United States because he's coming for folks that he deems enemies. He's made no apologies nor any secret about it.
Speaker 3: That's what he's doing. And if you're going to support.
Speaker 4: Joy Reid, the best way for you to do it was to make sure she didn't suffer a forty seven percent drop in the ratings.
Speaker 1: See, we don't do that enough.
Speaker 2: And I'm speaking from personal experience, so I'm qualified to talk about the subject, ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 1: I will remind you that I had a show.
Speaker 2: Named quite Frankly on ESPN two from two thousand and five to two thousand and seven. I will remind you that it got canceled in two thousand and seven after I did about three hundred and eighty one shows, and I had about seven hundred and eighty five guests.
Speaker 1: We didn't have enough viewers.
Speaker 2: The course that it took to have that show on the air, to pay for all of the overhead that came with it wasn't worth it because the ratings said so. And one of the things that I remember most is folks coming up to me, Oh, man, I.
Speaker 1: Love your show. Man, I watch it every day. You the man, stephen A.
Speaker 2: The show had been canceled six months earlier. How the hell you watching me every day?
Speaker 1: It had been canceled six months earlier. See we talk.
Speaker 2: But if you really really want to be helpful and knowing this business, if you really really wanted to be helpful to joy Read, the time to support her, would it be now over digital, airwars and everywhere else while everybody's speaking and up in arms that Hush Show got canceled. The time would have been to make sure that even in the aftermath of that election, that that one point four million audience that she was drawing in prior to the election as the same audience that would have been there after the election.
Speaker 1: That's how you keep folks on the air. You didn't do that.
Speaker 2: Certainly there are other people who could have been let go and should have been let go sooner. I won't mention any names. Certainly, she's a talent and she is intelligent. Yes, she was fiery. Yes she said something sending every things that could have gotten a network in trouble on a couple of occasions. I'm not here to revisit all of that. All of that is true, but all of us are flowed in the eyes of God. We all make mistakes, none of us are perfect. I'm certainly not here to down her in any way. I'm simply here to enunciate and punctuate the point. If you wanted her on the air so badly, why didn't you support her after the election. That's the reality. There is no way around that. And for those of you out there who don't get.
Speaker 1: It, you better get it quick or you better.
Speaker 2: Do what Roland Martin went on his show and reminded folks to do do everything you can to own your own so you can't be canceled. Do everything to own your own so you're not depending on a network or another employer to sustain your visibility and ultimately your quality of life.
Speaker 1: Because he's right about that.
Speaker 2: But in the end, everybody's not in a position to do that, or don't want to be in a position to do that. They may not want that challenge, that headache, or whatever the case may be.
Speaker 1: That's fine, Just know that MSNBC.
Speaker 2: At the end of the day, it's a business, just like everything else is a business, and the best way to sustain or elevate yourself is to do good business and not be expendable. In a sure fire way to end up being expendable is when they're able to attach a forty seven percent drop in the ratings to you.
Speaker 1: No matter what you want to accuse them of.
Speaker 2: They're always to be able to fall on that, which means any other argument is going to fall on deaf ears. Let me move to another subject before I go to the break. According to CBS News, Apple shareholders on Tuesday, just yesterday, rejected a proposal to end the iphonemaker's diversity, equity and inclusion programs. It responded to the anti DEI proposal. Apple defended its diversity program as an integral part of its corporate culture, crediting the policies in part for making the technology is not the most valuable company in the world. Here's where Apple CEO Tim cooks at a defense of the policy. Quote, We've never had quoters of targets for Apple. Our strength has always come from hiring the very best people and then providing a culture of collaboration. But our north star of dignity and respect for everyone, and I work to that end, will never waiver.
Speaker 1: End quote.
Speaker 2: However, could conceide that the company may need to revise aspects of its diversity policies as the legal landscape around DEI evolves. Meanwhile, President Trump continued to call for Apple to scrap the program. You know he was gonna do that. In a post on truth Social Trump wrote, quote, Apple should get rid of DEI rules, not just make adjustments for to them, de I was a hoax that has been very bad for our country. DEI is gone, that is according to the President Donald Trump. Let me be very clear about what I'm sick of. I'm sick of the truth being camouflaged when it's over this whole DEI matter, I really really am because I got to tell you something right now. It's getting on my last nerves and I'm trying to to really avoid losing my patience. Okay, this is where I'm coming from with this, y'all. I'm just looking something up to make sure I have it right. I'm really trying to be cool about this, because I do think it's important. I'm sick and tired of be a DEI being associated with black people, and I'm sick and tired of seeing black folks out there complaining over DEI like it's the end, like it's eventual departure is the end of the world. There are congressional figures who have stated for the record that white women are the biggest beneficiaries of DEI, just as they were the biggest beneficiaries of affirmative action, and second on that list are Asian Americans. So I'm sitting here and I'm saying not to act like there haven't been black folks who have benefited from affirmative action or DEI. I'm saying, why is it that I culture is attached to it? Why are we not mentioned in the fact that white women are the biggest beneficiatores of it?
Speaker 1: We live in America.
Speaker 2: White folks make a fifty seven point four percent of the population last time I checked, if not lower than that right now, But it's still a white power system, primarily a white male power structure. White women have benefited, so the eradication of DEI, one would argue, would politely affect them more than it would affect anybody else, since they're the biggest beneficiaries from it, which means that white men like Donald Trump, who decided, along with Elon Musk and others to eradicate DEI, did so at the expense of white women. Why is that story not being told? Why is it coming to cross as if it's associated.
Speaker 1: With black folks.
Speaker 2: Why the words unqualified or incompetent or not up for the job, stuff like that, Why is that coming through the screeze? Why is that what everybody's talking about, particularly when they're talking about.
Speaker 1: Minorities in this country. Oh, I forgot.
Speaker 2: White women are considered a minority in this country. That's how they did benefit from affirmative action and the EI. I'm just asking, why don't we talk about it, and we're going to talk about the subject, and we're going to be transparent, why don't we be honest about it? Kind of annoys me that we don't now to a whole bunch of people out there. I apologize if I'm wrong, because I have seen a couple of articles proclaiming that white women are not the biggest beneficiaries of affirmative action and DEI. But throughout years, especially decades, when it came to folks talking about affirmative action, make no mistake about it, white women would deem the biggest beneficiaries.
Speaker 1: And people are still saying that now.
Speaker 2: Although there are articles to deny it, to say that's not true, whatever case you want to make, there is no denying that black folks aren't the only folks that are benefiting from DEI, that minorities are not the only folks benefiting from DEI, meaning.
Speaker 1: Folks other than white folks.
Speaker 2: Why is it that we're always associated with it, especially when words like unqualified come into the frame. That's what I'm saying. Of course, as I look here and they talk about who's going to follow, nobody's sure who's expected to follow Apple.
Speaker 1: In terms of their thinking.
Speaker 2: But other companies that confirm the commitment to DEI and the wake of the election and some of the orders being handed down by Trump, Ben and Jerry's Costco, Delta, ill Lone, JP, Morgan Chase, Microsoft, and Patagonia, those were folks, uh, the companies rather that confirm the commitment to DEI moving forward from Axios, many more companies appear to be pulling back DEI efforts, including Amazon, Boeing, Disney, Ford, Goldman, Sachs, Google, McDonald's, Meta, Nissan, Target, Toyota, Walmart. All our ask is that if we're gonna talk about it, let's talk about it. Let's address it with the honesty and fervency it deserves.
Speaker 1: That's all I ask. That's all I.
Speaker 2: Asked, because I really really think at the end of the day, that's gonna be necessary. We're gonna get it right. That's what we should want to do. Okay, coming up, he's the greatest hype man in the history of the music industry, the one and only flavor Flave from Public Enemy joins me. But first, Luka Doncic sent them to this former team, the Dallas Mavericks last night in Los Angeles. But should the rest of the Western Conference be paying attention as well? I'll get into all of that and then some trust me. This next segment, National Basketball Association. You want to hear what I gotta say about this, don't go away.
Speaker 1: It's the Steven A. Smith Show coming right at.
Speaker 2: You all right, everybody, listen up with all the big time sports action that's happening each and every day, The stephen Ate Smith Show wants to make sure you are taking advantage of it all. That's why we've partnered with the Prize Picks, the best place to win cash while watching sports.
Speaker 1: The app is really easy to use.
Speaker 2: To make a lineup, all you have to do is pick more or less on a few player stats. Choose from any of your favorite players Luka, Doncic, Jimmy Butler, and Zach Lavine all in the same entry, then sit.
Speaker 3: Back and watch.
Speaker 1: The list is absolutely endless.
Speaker 2: You can play Prizepects in over forty states, including California and Texas. Best of all, Prizepects will give you fifty dollars when you play your first five dollar lineup.
Speaker 1: Wanna lose, You'll get fifty bucks.
Speaker 2: Just use promo code say Yes and download Prospects right now again, download the app and use code essay has to get fifty dollars instantly after your first five dollar lineup, Prospects, run your game.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to stephen Ate Smith Show.
Speaker 2: Let's get to the NBA where the Lakers played the Dallas Mavericks at home last night in the first meeting since Luka Doncheks was traded from the MAVs to the Lakers for Anthony Davis.
Speaker 1: Essentially, the Lakers beat the mass one.
Speaker 2: Oh seven and ninety nine as Luca put up a triple double against his old squad nineteen points, fifteen boards, twelve assists. In doing so, Dunton became the third play in NBA history to record a triple double against every franchise. The Lakers are now seven and two cents trading for Duncic and are now just two games out of the second seed, the number two seed in the Western Conference. Ladies and gentlemen, the Lakers have put everybody on notice. The Lakers have put everybody on notice.
Speaker 3: We could call it what, We could call it what say whatever.
Speaker 2: You will get Lebron James and those guys off the screen while I'm talking. Please, I don't even want to see him right now. I want America to see me. Let me tell y'all something I went to the world to see me. Let me tell y'all something right now. The Lakers could win the West. The Lakers could win the West every time. I believe in OKC something happens. Denver doesn't look quite like itself, especially after I saw what the Lakers did to them the other night and JJ Reddick's playing double end Yokis the way that he did, and Darren others to shoot. I'm paying attention to that, even though when Yokich and Jamal Murray you're clicking. Very few teams can beat them. The Memphis Grizzlies are the number two seed. I'm just not sold on Memphis perimeter shooting. I know what they can do anywhere else, but with their perimeter shooting, I got a huge question mark about them.
Speaker 1: Houston is very talented.
Speaker 2: I don't want to get into a track meet with them if I'm the law Los Angeles Lakers, but experience wins in the postseason, not youth and youthful exuberance, which Houston is loaded with. So I get that part to it, and I understand that reality, and I can't ignore that, Okay, I just can't. I'm telling you when I look at the Western Conference right now, I did a list on my day job, First Take on ESPN yesterday, and it was the top five challengers to the Boston Celtics for the championship. I had OKC number two.
Speaker 1: Do you know I had that number three the Lakers.
Speaker 2: I had Denver at four, and I had the Dallas Mavericks at five. And I'm gonna tell you why I got the Dallas Mavericks at five. When it comes to challenges for the Boston Celtics, let me tell you why I don't care that Dallas right now resides in the ninth seed. Okay, and don't get me wrong, I'm I mean Golden State is right on the outside looking in.
Speaker 3: But here's why I put Dallas as a top five threat.
Speaker 2: To Boston's aspirations to repeat his champions.
Speaker 1: Wait until Daniel Gafford and Anthony Davis come back. You just wait with Kyrie Irving, with PJ.
Speaker 2: Washington, with Klay Thompson that we saw last night drilling about five threes. When this brother gets hot, it's something to behold. Dallas can't be ignored. And oh, by the way, let's not forget the importance of Anthony Davis and how he has to produce. See, he's the one that was traded for Luca Duncic. Essentially, he's the reason why you didn't get like four or five picks from somebody else, Anthony Davis can't get on the court for the Dallas Mavericks the way that city and that fan base reacted to the departure of Luther Luka Doncic and go out there and play sub paul or play like trash. Anthony Davis has to play on a very elite level. They know he's hurt now, they'll accept that, They'll stomach it. But that brother, when he get back on the court, when he gets back on the.
Speaker 1: Court, he better be ready.
Speaker 2: There will never be more pressure on Anthony Davis to perform. Then it will be when he gets back healthy.
Speaker 3: And God forbid, Dallas and the Lakers meet in the.
Speaker 1: First round of the playoffs. Oh my god, the pressure that was this.
Speaker 2: See Lucas playing with house money because the Lakers acquired him for the next decade. Luke's playing with house money. What they looking at is what Anthony Davis is gonna do. That's how I'm looking at the West overall. The number one threat to the bosson Celtics is the Cleveland Cavaliers.
Speaker 1: I don't give it, damn what anybody say. Jared Allen Mobley.
Speaker 2: The acquisition of Hunter Darius Garland, Donovan Mitchell that stud Cleveland got a crew best record in basketball. I'm here to tell y'all right now, the Cleveland Cavaliers could win it all. Boston is right there. They better be ready because Cleveland could beat anybody. I'm not saying they will. I'm not betting my money on that yet, but I'm telling.
Speaker 1: You they could do it. They could do it.
Speaker 2: But getting back to the Lakers, y'all, no excuse me, y'all, do know that JJ Reddick is one of the top candidates for Coach of the Year. Right I expected the Lakers to upgrade significantly offensively because I know what a brilliant basketball mind JJ Reddick is. I did not expect to see what I'm seeing defensively. Since like mid January, the Lakers have the best record in basketball. And oh, by the way, not only is that the case, they've got the top rated defense and eleven of their eighteen games in that span they went fourteen and four. Ladies and gentlemen, Anthony Davis wasn't there for the eleven of the eighteen games, and they still got the top rated defense in basketball. Pay attention to ladies and gentlemen. I'm here to tell y'all, the Lakers are coming. Austin Reeves has been bawling hot ya Mora. Can't ignore him. Dorian Finney Smith and what he brings to the table for the Lakers. Can't ignore that Jackson Hayes is no slouch. I'm very pleased with what I'm seeing from the Lakers. Pleasantly surprised the Los Angeles Lakers. If Luca gets going, they can win the West. And if Lebron James is in the Final with Luca as his teammate at age forty, what could he do? I still don't see myself giving them goat status, but I might need cause I might.
Speaker 1: Have caused the pause. Just a thought, Just a thought. Moving on.
Speaker 2: To the next item here before we get to break, I wanted to give props to the WNBA's all time leading scorer, the one and only Diana Tarassi, officially retired from the WNBA after twenty seasons.
Speaker 1: She's forty two, and she's.
Speaker 2: Stepping away as one of the most decorated players in basketball history. Before I say anything like that, could y'all do me a favorite, please and just take a moment to look at this full screen and check out her resume. Three time w NBA Champion, two time WNBA Finals MVP, three time NCUBA Champion, two time NCAA Tournament Most Outstanding Player, six time Olympic Gold Medalists, two thousand and nine WNBA MVP, two time Nate Smith College Basketball Player of the Year, fourteen time All WNBA, ten time First Team, eleven time w NBA All Star two thousand and four, Rookie of the Year, Yeah, WNBA, five time WNBA Scoring Champion. My god, my god, who the hell has a resume like that?
Speaker 1: Who's this person? Who? Six gold medals? Six this basketball?
Speaker 2: Ladies and Genteren say swimming, I mean, hell, this is what she doing. Diana Tarassi, the White Mamba, that one, by the way, one of the best people that I've ever covered in professional sports. Are just a straight shooter, very authentic, you know, highly competitive, a winner on every level.
Speaker 1: She excuse me my language.
Speaker 2: She's just the shit, she really is, and the game is going to miss her.
Speaker 1: Thank you for all that you've done.
Speaker 2: For the game, Diana Tarassi, Thank you for all you have done for the game. You are something special, make no mistake about that. Coming up, I had the honor of interviewing the one and only flavor Flave. You don't want to miss that conversation that's coming up next. Plus, a man is found smuggling cocaine through an airport under his two pay lord have mercy and his video you need to see to go along with that as well, ladies and gentlemen, So don't go anywhere.
Speaker 1: Steven A. Smith show right here in the house, back for morning minute. What's up everybody, Stephen A Smith here.
Speaker 2: Recently we made news because the great Bill O'Reilly announced a tour that's coming.
Speaker 1: Nearest to you in the very very near future. Get your tickets now for this.
Speaker 2: It's called Three Americans Live March thirtieth at Live Nation's Flag Star at the Westbury Music Feel on Long Island.
Speaker 1: Don't miss the very first show.
Speaker 2: As myself, Chris Croomo, and yes, that man Bill O'Reilly take our different ideas, a different backgrounds, our different beliefs across the country to demonstrate that respectful, meaningful and even fun conversation. Those are the things that make America as great as it should be. The show will be spirited, unscripted, and all three of us will let it fly as we discuss the topics everyone is thinking about these days. There'll also be questions from the audience we're not running. Tickets are officially on sale now with pre sale code USA at three Americans Live dot Com. VIP packages are available with the opportunity to meet and take photos with myself and both those fellas. That's Three Americans Live March thirtieth at the Westbury Music Fair on Long Island. Additional dates and cities to be announced. Don't miss it. Trust me, you'll get a kick out of it. Man, I couldn't wait for this one. I couldn't wait for this one. Ladies and gentlemen. He is my next guest. He is a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award winner. He is a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, recipient of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, a founding member, the founding member of the iconic group, the greatest group ever as far as our constern public animy all right, the one and only flavor Flamen.
Speaker 1: What how you doing, many man? Like a Colton the closet hanging in there, baby, I.
Speaker 2: Have ever had the pleasure of meeting you men. It is an honor, brother, It's been a met you on sepal occasions. But I've never ever interviewed you. I gotta know this. They flavor Flame. I mean, who the hell came up with that name? I mean, who would think of that name?
Speaker 1: It had to be you.
Speaker 5: Well, honestly, you know, back in the day, there was a guy that used to watch over me. You know what I'm saying. His name was Kevin Starks. You know what I'm saying. And way back in the day, you know, I used to, you know, drink a lot of different flavored sodas, you know, the fruit punch, orange grete, you know everything, right, cherry and all that.
Speaker 1: And then also, you know, I like.
Speaker 5: Life savers, you know, need a bunch of life savers, you know, and the charms, lollipops and all of that. And my nickname that I grew up with is Rico. Oh so he used to call me Reek the flavor freak.
Speaker 1: Wow, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: So when MC and first came around, Stephen back in the days, you know what I'm saying, and everybody had these common names, I wanted the name that nobody had, nobody else wanted, but yet it had to mean something. So I tried MC flavor and you know what, I stuck with that. And it was Chuck D that started calling me flavor Flavor. So Chuck D started calling you flavor.
Speaker 1: Flake, Flavor Flavors.
Speaker 5: Back in the days, remember we used to be like Yo, Bobby, Bob, Yo Johnny John. You know, was Chuck that started calling me flavor flav So you.
Speaker 2: Started the rap group Public Enemy. You founded this group. Tell me how that came about. I've never heard this story.
Speaker 1: Well, it's all started about. You know.
Speaker 5: All started when I was on my way up to the studio to go visit with my boy Chuck and Hank and Keith Shockley.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: We had the studio and and and in Hempstead.
Speaker 1: Long Island, all right. And I walked up.
Speaker 5: I walked up to the studio one day Steve Stephen Man and I heard, Wow. I'm like, what in the world is Chuck doing up in here?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 5: I walked in the I walked in the studio Stephen Chuck D. Back in the days, remember we had the cassette tapes. My boy Chuck D had to had to cassette coming out of the cassette deck around the microphone stand back into the cassette deck. Wow, ladies and gentlemen, I don't care what nobody say. That was the first loop. It was back in the days we used to make records with loops and stuff, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: So anyway, so.
Speaker 5: I told Chuck the story about this guy that wanted to battle him. You know what I'm saying. In the hall now, I was on my way up to the studio. Somebody wanted to battle Check and somebody wanted to battle Chuck. You know what I'm saying. So I was like, Yo, Chuck, don't battle. You know what I'm saying. If anything will set you up for battle. He was like, yeah, but your man swear he nice. I said, look, he don't swear.
Speaker 1: He nice. Bro, he knows he nice.
Speaker 5: So anyway, Chuck was like, Yo, put that story on the beginning of this tape because we were making making the tape for WBAU ninety pointy three FM, you know, our radio, our radio station right from Delphi University.
Speaker 1: So so when I got on the mic and I was like, hey, yo, Chuck, pus the move man.
Speaker 5: I was on my way up here to the studio and this brother stopped me and asked me, yo, what's up with the brother, Chucky? Did he swear he nice? I said, the brother don't swear he nice. He knows he's nice. You know what I'm saying. So, Chuck, I got a feeling you turned into a public enemy.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 5: Now remember that line he was kicking me on the way out to l A Lorton Queen's while we was in the car and away to the shop. Well right, now kick the base for them brothers and let him know, Chuck what goes on? Chuck says, what goes on? Well, I'm all in and put it on the board.
Speaker 1: Another shot down from the mouth that rot like yo, yo, we gotta put this out. We gotta put this out.
Speaker 5: So so we put it out, you know what I'm saying on our radio station and everything and DMC, I mean run running jam Master J and them went crazy over it.
Speaker 1: So it was jam Master J.
Speaker 2: You know how I grew up with him. I grew up with Queen my late brother. Yeah, my late brother. My brother died in a car accident in nineteen ninety two. He was really really good friends with jam Master J. I grew up on two third between one eleventh and twelfth, and jam Aster J. Was on the next block between one one eleventh and Hollis, So that's where it was.
Speaker 1: So jam Master J.
Speaker 2: And now when my brother passed away in the car accident, I was the one that let him know because he was away on tour. Run DMC and then was away on tour and they came back and he came looking for my brother and I had to let him know what had happened.
Speaker 1: He didn't even know that my brother had passed away.
Speaker 2: That's how far back I went with jam Aster Jay and Run DMC obviously was in the neighborhood and the whole, no doubt.
Speaker 1: That's that's how That's how far back it goes, no doubt. So go ahead.
Speaker 5: Well with jam Master J came up to the to the radio station. He was like, Yo, where's your boy, Chuck Man. Where's Chuck? We want to see Chuck. I said, Chuck is at the studio. So I got in this in the car with jam Master J and DMC. Right we went took him to the studio and jam Master J is the one that was trying to talk Chuck into putting Public.
Speaker 1: Enemy Number one out on Depth Jam. At the time.
Speaker 5: You know, Depth Jam didn't really have a lot of money then and everything, so artists wasn't really getting their fair shape around that time. But when the Beasties went platinum, one went platinum, LLLL went platinum, now they had enough money, you know what I'm saying. And Chuck said, you know what, Okay, come on, I'm down, you know what I'm saying. So we went to the we went to Death Jam and everything to sign and the whole nine. Rick Rubin and Russell Simmons. They did not want me. They only wanted Chuck.
Speaker 1: They didn't want you. They didn't want me because back in the days, you know, the voice texture, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: I mean, the style was that wonder was that that basic that basic voice, you know what I'm saying. But my voice was real high, was peaky, It was annoying and the whole nine.
Speaker 1: So they didn't want me.
Speaker 5: So Chuck was like, yo, listen, if he's not if I don't have him, then this ain't gonna work. So it was Chuck D that forced me down Death Jam Stow.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying, how do you when you when you think about Chuck D and him taking that position and risking jump starting what obviously an undeniably was a flourishing career.
Speaker 1: His willingness to stick with you, why do you think that was? Why did he do that? But his willingness to stick with me because we were a team.
Speaker 5: You know, teamwork make the dream work, right, you know what I'm saying, And that we made a hell of a team, no question, he made a hell.
Speaker 1: Of a team.
Speaker 5: Well what I'm saying, I mean, if it ain't broken, you don't fix it.
Speaker 1: Chuck D.
Speaker 2: I saw an interview with him one time years ago. He called you the greatest hype man in music history. He said, you want to turn a show out, you want to get an audious hyped up. He said, you don't need anything but flavor flame. There is no nobody has ever ever been better than him.
Speaker 1: First of all, do you agree with that?
Speaker 2: And secondly, how does it make you feel to hear that Chuck D said that about you?
Speaker 5: I mean, well, I know that I am the originator, you know what I'm saying, the first hype man in rap music period, you.
Speaker 1: Know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: And and and my job was just to go out there on the stage really just get the crowd hype.
Speaker 1: That was my job to get the crowd hype.
Speaker 5: And I was always good with hyping up the crowd, you know what I'm saying. So so so that's how I got that title.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: I say, the second flavor flame of the business was my boy Bushwik Bill okay from the Ghetto Boys. Because everything Bill did was flavor flave every thing. You know what, I give you props for Man, So he did man Man. That was my little brother Man. That was my brother Man. You know what I'm saying. The third flavor flavor of the business, I say.
Speaker 1: Buster Rhymes. Okay, I was gonna say d MX. I was gonna say DMX. Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait, what's the hype man? But d MX?
Speaker 5: But but but d MX was a solo He was a solo artist. But we're talking about you know, group wise, you know what I'm saying. And Buster Rhymes came from leaders of the New School, so he was like the hype man of the leaders of the New School, you know what I'm saying. Then the fourth flavor flavor of the business, I say, was my cousin O D B.
Speaker 1: Damn. How many, how many, how many layers of the flavor Flavors. Did damn it? You just gave me five? Five? You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: That's five. You know what I'm saying. Number four was O D B from wu Ting. Number five Spliff Star from Flip Mode. Okay, and he's still with Buster right now. Tan up stuff, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Special.
Speaker 2: So when you think about a hype man, and you know, we know the job that comes with it. Whatever, people would have looked at you and say that's all you are? What would you describe yourself as being?
Speaker 1: Is it just that? Or was it so much more than that?
Speaker 2: And people never really really appreciated what you brought to the table.
Speaker 5: Well, I consider me that, you know what I'm saying. And plus I was a whole lot more. I was a leader. I was a trendsetter. You know what I'm saying, because I set trends. You know what I'm saying around.
Speaker 1: Your not.
Speaker 5: I'm trying to tell you now. And not only that, but you know I'm the one that put out to say back in the day, the high top fade that's flave in a high top fade was flaved. You know what I'm saying, then, kid, and play came with his you know play from kN Like. The reason why his hair was so high is because we were in competition and he said, flav when I passed you, I'm never gonna let you catch me.
Speaker 1: So that's why his was so high, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: But the first ones that had a fade, the low top fade was Grace Jones and Larry Blackman, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: The whole nine. I just took it and I grew mind high. And then I put that out in the street.
Speaker 5: Did everybody start taking my hairstot cutting it into the gumbies?
Speaker 1: Have you ever had the gumby? No? I have nothing, not me, not me.
Speaker 2: You know, I gotta ask you this man, because growing up listening to Public Enemy, man, I the lyrics was what moved me, you know what I'm saying. And they didn't. They didn't care. Fight the Power is my all time favorite. I still listen to give it up every morning. Now, No, now I do that, you know? So now one one is a joke. I mean, come on, the list goes on and on. I'm just wondering, first of all, what's your favorite.
Speaker 1: Song of all time? By Public Enemy?
Speaker 5: Public Enemy number one, because because that's the first record that we ever made, and that's the one that I had most fun making, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: And I had a lot of involvement, you know, with making that record, you know.
Speaker 5: But it was our first regular, our first single, you know what I'm saying, And yeah, that's my favorite one out of all of them. Out of everything that we've ever made, what do you believe was the most impactful?
Speaker 1: Which song? I'd say, Fight the Power?
Speaker 5: Fight the power definitely, and Fight the Power is also the song that launched us into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
Speaker 1: When you think about that, we know what that stand for. We know that was all about.
Speaker 2: You were speaking against the man, speaking against the systems, speaking against oppression in the eyes of a lot of black people. That's how we absorbed and that's why we admired and loved y'all so much. And I loved the title public Enemy because it was sigonified that mentality. That's why I love Chuck D so much, because Chuck D was like the data enemy whoever they are, come because we know y'all don't think this of us. We know y'all trying to hold us back, and you were calling it out with song after song after song. Did you ever worry that the public at large would come against you just the same way they went against NWA. It's the same way they went against other music groups in the past. Did you ever fear that you would be a target because you were a public enemy?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 5: We never feared anything, and that's the reason why we did what we did, you know what I'm saying, Because we wanted to you know, we were to see any end of the streets, you.
Speaker 1: Know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: In the wholl nine and not only that, but public enemy also, you know, stands for the black man being the lowest on the totem pole, you know what I'm saying, And that's the last to get the to get the best of the best, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: The whole night, we wasn't scared to speak about that.
Speaker 5: And not only that, but we never feared anybody period, you know what I'm saying. I mean, whatever we did, it came from our heart, It came from our souls, you know what I'm saying. It was a time when we did a gig down in South Carolina and we were the only group ever to hang a Kool Klux Klansmen on stage, And now was the time, there was a time when when when when we did that show down in South Carolina, we hung that Kool Klux Klansmen on stage. Yeah, the f OI had to come and walk us out. Yeah, fu the Bisulam had to come and walk They had to come and walk out. You had to come walk What was gonna happen to y'all?
Speaker 1: Hey, hey, KKK's man was they was?
Speaker 5: They was piling up, They were waiting outside. They was waiting and wasn't gonna let us out. That's right. They wasn't gonna let us out. But we got out. You got out because f r Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: FOI helped us get out. Yeah. But we never feared it though. You didn't fear the Kukluks playing waiting outside for you.
Speaker 5: No, we never feared anyone period. We don't fear nobody. The only only thing we made fear in this world is God.
Speaker 2: Was that a conversation that y'all had amongst one another in terms of not having that fear or was it innate and immediately understood, Yo, you're a part of this is the kind of this is the kind of metal that you got to.
Speaker 1: It was already understood, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Stamped stamp, that's how That's how we was, you know what I'm saying. And when we and when we came, we let you know we was coming strong. Don't get in our way because so you announced it before he run you over. So you announced it beforehand.
Speaker 1: Everybody knew it. He was very transparent. They knew what it was coming. That's right.
Speaker 2: You brought up South Carolina. Any place else in this country that stands out in terms of locale where you performed and you had to worry about just South Carolina.
Speaker 1: Just that, just that one incident right there. Outside of that, every place else, cool thing else was cooler than four blocks of ice Q. And why do you think that was? That? It was cool everywhere else?
Speaker 5: Because everybody was understanding what you know, we were talking about. Not only that, but a lot of people were standing up for what we were talking about about, you know what I'm saying. And right now to this day, you know, when it comes down to understanding public enemy, you know what I'm saying. Right now, we have a more predominantly white audience than a black audience and.
Speaker 1: Why do you think that is? How do you explain that, right?
Speaker 5: Because there's a lot of people that love, love, learning about Black history, and once they find out, you know, the truth about black history, then they get into it more and more and more and more.
Speaker 2: But but is this just something that said about white people wanting more to know more about black history than black people.
Speaker 5: I think black people should really want to know their history just as much as the white people want to know our history.
Speaker 2: I'm just asking that question in terms of to me, the fan base shouldn't be stronger amongst whites than black it's public enemy. It shouldn't be more more white people than black people support y'all.
Speaker 5: But it is though even to this day, even to this day, but we still have our black nation supporting us. Now, you know what I'm saying, It's just that white people decide to dig into us more.
Speaker 1: I guess.
Speaker 2: Let me transition. Let me transition to what's going on today. How are you feeling about the hip hop industry today?
Speaker 1: Yo? Man?
Speaker 5: The hip hop industry is what it is. I call it changing of the guards, Steve. You know what I'm saying. You know, I mean music has changed a lot, you know, what I'm saying since since we since since we since we started. You feel what I'm saying. I mean, it's a different generation now. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: You're okay with it?
Speaker 5: Or you are you depressed by Hey, I'm not depressed by anything. Man, I'm adapting to it, just like everybody else adapted to my music and to what we do. Hey, when the guards changed, you gotta you gotta adapt to that.
Speaker 2: Do you care about the message or lack thereof or absence thereof? Like for example, y'all spoke with a purpose. Every lyric you dropped, it was a purpose to it with Chuck d and the crew. Right, Well, look n to me be talking about here, that's entirely different than somebody that really ain't got a message.
Speaker 1: That's just ship.
Speaker 5: I just wish that a lot of rap rap records today have more messages what we're talking and conscious messages to it.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: You know the day, I mean, we're more about glorifying you know, guns, drugs, gangs. You know what I'm saying. Women, You know what I'm saying. In the whole night Back in the day, it wasn't like that. You know what I'm saying. And not only that, but back in the days when you had a rap battle, rap battling was fun, right, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: It's not fun today, you know, And why is it? I mean, I mean, I mean put it this way.
Speaker 5: Okay, everybody loves a rap battle now, you know what I'm saying, because look, battling it makes you step your penmanship, you know what I'm saying. In the whole night and back in the days when we did it, it was fun. It wasn't never about I'm going to kill you. Well on my I got a bullet with your name. It was always about it was always yeah, yeah, It's always about sticking up for your neighborhood and making your neighborhood shine.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. I wish it was more of that. I wish it. I wish you can go back to that.
Speaker 2: How you feel about the whole Kendrick Lamar drake uh situation that unfolded.
Speaker 5: Hey, I employed both of them because I'm a big fan of both of them and I love them both equally, you know what I'm saying. And they both are trend setters. They both are trend setters, you know what I'm saying in the whole nine and and I feel like their rap battle really brought some awareness to to rap music today, you know, and the youngsters can understand what the rat battle is all about.
Speaker 1: You know, Hey, these boys did they think man? Kendrick did his thing. Kendrick did his thing.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna say the same about Drake. I think Drake lost this one. Yeah you think yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, Okay, And here's my whole point.
Speaker 1: I loved you and I loved Drake. Drake's a big time talent, the whole bit.
Speaker 2: And now I won't say this. I'm gonna say this right front of you. You correct me if I'm wrong. I got on Drake. I didn't get on Drake because he you know, Kendrick got oning, not like us. What I got on him about is I know you were it was the record companies you were sowing. But what I was saying was in hip hop, nah, you go to the studio and you want.
Speaker 1: Up that cat with your own record, or you bow down and concede he got you right, that's what you do.
Speaker 2: And I opposed to going to lawyers and trying to sue record companies to make sure the record don't get played.
Speaker 1: That was my issue. And now if you have a problem.
Speaker 5: With that, and that's why I wish that you know, music, rap music can return back to what it used to be fun, right because going through going through lawyers, getting lawyers and all of this and doing it, it's not fun, you know what I'm saying, It's just another animal.
Speaker 2: I want to get into a serious subject before I let you get on out of here. Man, I appreciate your time. Man, thank you so much, no doubt you.
Speaker 1: And Chuck d.
Speaker 2: Recently visited black families displaced by the Altadena Altadna eating wildfires in California and started something called the Displaced Black Families Go funded Me directory.
Speaker 1: Tell me about it?
Speaker 5: Well, well, let's go fundme that we created, you know what I'm saying. We partnered it up with the Black Music Action Coalition, you know what I'm saying. And this is, you know, to give back to a lot of black families that wasn't really being taken care of after the fires. No, a lot of black families lost their stuff and they wasn't really getting it just doe. So we created that go fund me to help them out.
Speaker 2: What was it like for you to go out there and visit those folks and see not only what they were what they were going through emotionally, but to see the wreckage, to see the actual damage.
Speaker 1: That it was real sad. Man. See what I saw, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: And it reminded me of when Katrina hit New Orleans. You know what I'm saying, Because for miles and miles and miles, you have just deserted land. You know what I'm saying, deserted Man, out there, you got deserted the land. Everything is burnt down. The only thing that's standing out of the ground is Chimney's, but everything else is going.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 5: You know, I felt bad for these people. Man, you know what I'm saying. I wouldn't wish that on no one, you.
Speaker 1: Know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: But that's why we're in this l A strong shirt and I'm standing strong for LA.
Speaker 2: While you got the Lakers there and not the Lakers in the clipp.
Speaker 1: Hey, hey, hey, hey, can I tell you why? Go ahead? Oh man, it's magic Johnson's Company, got it? You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Come on, magic magic anywhere anyway.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Yeah, anyway, you're gonna go to some basketball games and in their future gonna go out there to watch the Lakers playing out that they got Luca Dungeon.
Speaker 1: I sure do.
Speaker 5: I mean Lebron is my favorite basketball player. Favorite, he's my favorite. You mean president of all time?
Speaker 1: Right now? Ok no, no, no, just right now, okay, my favorite of all time. Michael Jordan. You know that Michael Jordan. He ain't even brought it. We ain't even so Who's who's the goat? Doctor Julia Survey? Stop that? What do? Stop that? Are you KidSing flavoro? Check that out? Check the stoping man? Check this out.
Speaker 5: Michael Jordans and a whole bunch of other people in basketball right now, got that man style.
Speaker 1: That man brought the style to basketball. You know what I'm saying. So you can just plenty of originators.
Speaker 2: You have plenty of originators, But that don't mean they can't be one up. That doesn't mean they can't be taking your another life time you want, doctor j play, he wasn't Michael Jordan. He's phenomen No, No, he made house calls. No, there's only one Michael Jordan. That's right, There's only one Michael Jordan period.
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying, And I ain't gonna go ahid, Yeah, he's the goat, he's the gold.
Speaker 1: He's the goat.
Speaker 5: But the reason why I called doctor j the gold is because Michael Jordan got his style from Doctor.
Speaker 2: J Fine, I'm just saying, so I'm just saying, I'm just saying. I'm just I'm just saying.
Speaker 1: The greatest is only gonna get their style from the greatest.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, you could be the originator, but that don't make you the go because there were things that Michael Jordan did that Doctor j couldn't do it his.
Speaker 5: Greatest, Doctor Jon right right, Hey, let me tell you something. When Michael Jordan took that style, he developed it into his okay, all right, and he put off a bunch more to it, and he added on on to it.
Speaker 2: You feel so just understand that. I mean, you almost lost me, right, you almost lost me.
Speaker 1: I ain't gonna lose you, man, Okay. I mean I can't even put Doctor Jay over Lebron.
Speaker 5: Huh.
Speaker 1: I can't put Doctor Jay over Lebron.
Speaker 5: No, I can't either. But this is different, This is a different day in a different time. But you gotta remember the Kobe Bryant, Lebron James, all of them, all of them.
Speaker 1: Man got that doctor Julius Irving style. Doctor j got it from Connie.
Speaker 2: Hawky Okay, and it was a David Tomter before ever after Connie Hawk. I mean, you understand, did we call Donnie CONNYE.
Speaker 1: Hawk is the greatest?
Speaker 2: Connie Hawkins was the man Vince Carter the greatest in game dunker of all time?
Speaker 1: Do we call him to go? No?
Speaker 2: Because we understand this levels to this. It's Michael Jordan and there's everybody else.
Speaker 1: I ain't mad at you. You understand. I'm not mad at you. Want that. I believe in you. I'm not mad. That's what I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: I had to reach I couldn't let you walk out of here play think I like that.
Speaker 1: Yo.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna tell you something, man. You just don't know how proud of you that I am. You know what I'm saying, How you just made your.
Speaker 1: Own lane, bro? You made your own lane. Man. You came into this announcement game.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: This personality that you got, Bro, listen, man, it takes over, It takes over. You know what I'm saying, and you built your own lane. Ain't no other sports announcer out there like Stephen A.
Speaker 1: Smith None none.
Speaker 2: I love you, Bro, I'm proud of you.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, Just like me, I created a lane for Yeah. Yes, and there's never been another.
Speaker 2: See, I ain't saying somebody came along and it clipped play for play.
Speaker 1: You understand that's never been another. Never. Don't care who it is.
Speaker 2: Even though they did tell me Jay Z and them DMX bro that brother GMx was the man.
Speaker 1: Yes, yo, he was very heightened. That was my boy, man.
Speaker 2: I'm you imagine seeing you in DMX together, good Lord of Mercy, that would have been spectaculous. Yeah, no doubt, Flavor Flav, Ladies and gentlemen, the honor was all mine.
Speaker 5: Stephen Ah Smith, Ladies and gentleman, and the honor is all mine.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thanks again to the one and only Flavor. Flav really enjoyed sitting down and talking with them. Met him a few times before, but never had the opportunity to sit down and actually interview him.
Speaker 1: So I really appreciative of that. He is arguably the greatest hype man ever.
Speaker 2: Ain't no denying that, right, Anyway, before we get on out of here, we're gonna get to your tweets. But before we even get to that, I wanted to address another story that caught my eye this week. Did y'all see the dude that was arrested for smuggling cocaine in his two pee?
Speaker 1: Did y'all see this?
Speaker 2: The man was caught in Columbia right before he was boarding a flight to Amsterdam.
Speaker 1: Look at him crying, Look at him crying, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: When police arrested him, they found more than two hundred and twenty grams of cocaine in his fake to look at him.
Speaker 1: Look at him. Damn.
Speaker 2: Whatever it takes, Hunh, whatever it takes, I'd make him keep his hat off.
Speaker 1: I make him keep his damn hand.
Speaker 2: Now, keep that hat off right there, Keep that hat off there. Let everybody see the cocaine on you on your head right there. Look at that stuff right there. I mean, that's nothing people won't do. I mean, damn cocaine in the two pay. He was crying is shoe crying?
Speaker 3: Choe didn't way to tell you, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 2: Look at this Lord a mercy desperate times. That's what measures, hunh, he tried to get it through his two pay. I wonder what made him think he could get away with that. I mean when you're going through the screening and the stuff like look at him, see him crying, y'all see him. Yeah, he knew, he knew what the hell that was.
Speaker 1: Damn.
Speaker 2: Not only did they sense it, they knew exactly where it was. The screening man got it right there on camera. Look at him. Damn, he screwed. I don't know what the laws are on Columbia either, but kind of smuggle cocaine, yeah, I don't know whether it was into Colombia or out of Columbia.
Speaker 1: Brothers in the world of trouble. Damn. I don't even know what to say. I don't even know what to say.
Speaker 2: I know every time I see somebody with a tupe on, I'm gonna be thinking about this story, wondering what they got.
Speaker 1: In their two pay. That's what I'm gonna be doing. Anyway. Before we get on out of here, let's get to the tweets. Please, let's get to the tweets at says for President Stephen A. Smith.
Speaker 2: This is somebody that this has nothing to do with me, no affiliation with me whatsoever. Ladies and gentlemen, this is not me, but it is fun for people to come at me with that.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. My name is Stephen A. Smith. Approve that message anyway?
Speaker 2: All joking aside, somebody writes, Steven A. Smith, what would be your first order of business as president? I don't know what my first order of business would be. I know what my focus would be. My number one focus would be fueling the economy. It wouldn't be blasting everyone with terriffs. I can tell you that much.
Speaker 1: I would tell you that I would have closed the border. I can tell you that.
Speaker 2: See, I wouldn't be bothering people who are already in the country, but I would do everything within my power to ensure that no one else enters. I can tell you that much. And then I would target, just like mister Holman is doing with ICE. I would target criminals that are in this country illegally, and I'd get them up out of here.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, no question about it.
Speaker 2: That would definitely be near or right at the top of my list.
Speaker 1: I would close the borders.
Speaker 2: I would target criminals you understand that that are in this country illegally, and I would be doing everything that I can to fuel the economy because here's my personal belief.
Speaker 1: That's why I tell you I'm a capitalist, Okay.
Speaker 2: I believe that people know how to act when they have something to lose. I believe our society is only as strong as its weakest link. And if you're rife with people who have absolutely nothing to lose, Okay, then anarchy and chaos exist, and mayhem exist.
Speaker 3: I don't like that, but when you make sure that as many people.
Speaker 2: As possible actually have, I think that goes a long way towards your society being as civilized as possible. So I would be about fueling the economy in a very positive way. Obviously that comes with minimizing inflation, okay. And I would definitely target issues concerning the border because the reality is is that we don't need any more folks coming into this country, especially illegally, until we get our house in order. It's not to denigrate anybody that's trying to come from a desolate place and trying to get to the United States of America.
Speaker 1: It's not about that.
Speaker 2: It's that America doesn't have its own house and order right now, and we'd have to change That's where I'm coming from with it. Next tweet, which guy this is at Broun got game rights?
Speaker 1: Steven A. Smith.
Speaker 2: If Lebron joined the Knicks and brought a championship to New York, wouild you have him as the goat? That's a damn good question. I might say yes because I'm so biased in favor of the Knicks that it's the one thing that can get me to soften my position on Jordan, who destroyed my next time and time and time again.
Speaker 1: So I would tell you that, not that it's not.
Speaker 2: A definitive yes, but when I think about it, yes, my whole latitude towards.
Speaker 1: Lebron would be different. If Lebron was a New York Knick.
Speaker 2: Hell, I might quit the business and just go in and join his boy Randy and be an.
Speaker 1: Assistant for him whatever he.
Speaker 3: Needed, whatever he needed, I would do what I need to do.
Speaker 1: And if I didn't feel he was a.
Speaker 2: Goat, I'd lie about it if it got him to play better and deliver a championship to New York, whatever it takes, whatever it takes, because that's how that's what I am for my New York Nicks capture championship they ain't had was in nineteen seventy three.
Speaker 1: I''t believe admit that very biased about my knicks, very so much so. Last tweet, what you got?
Speaker 2: This is from Goldie au h two oh right, Stephen A.
Speaker 1: Smith.
Speaker 3: Who's your top choice for VP?
Speaker 1: You mean my top choice for VP?
Speaker 2: If I was the president of the presidential candidate for the United States of America, I got to tell you something.
Speaker 1: I gotta tell you something. I like both Jos Shapiro and Wes Moore.
Speaker 2: Okay, but if you don't mind, allow me to fill out some of my cabinet, I would have I look at a guy like Wes Moore. Man, that brother is impressive. Governor of Maryland, I would have to I would want him in my cabinet.
Speaker 1: I ain't gonna lie. I'd have to figure that out. Definitely put him in there. I'd have Chris Cuomo as my chief of staff. I'd have Chris Christie as my attorney General.
Speaker 2: Yes, I would, believe it or not, I would find a prominent role for AOC. But again, those are folks on the left. Outside of Christy. I'm a fan of Nikki Hiley. I'd have her in a row. I don't like buyer In Donald's unwavering support of everything that is Trump, but I respect that man. I think he's got a chance to win the goubernatorial seat in Florida. But I wouldn't mind having him as a member of my cabinet.
Speaker 1: I like Marco Rubio. I wouldn't be averse to him.
Speaker 2: I you know, I mean, I just think about certain things I gotta think about.
Speaker 1: I gotta think about it.
Speaker 2: A lot, and see, you know, i'd have a diverse cabinet, And let me say this, I'd have Republicans and Democrats in my cabinet. I want the ideas bouncing off of one another, so I know that I'm getting an.
Speaker 1: Accurate depiction of what both sides feel.
Speaker 2: So when I make a decision, I'm very confident in the decision that I'm making because I've heard.
Speaker 1: All parties involved. That's the best way that I can answer that question. I hope it suffices. I gotta get on out of here.
Speaker 2: Thanks again the Flavor Flavor for coming on the show. Really really appreciated. Hope you all in joy what I had to say. Wishing nothing but the best for joy reading. Moving forward and to the rest of y'all. I'll holler at y'all in a couple of days. Until then, peace of love, everybody.
Speaker 1: I'm out.