Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong, Joe Getty, arm Strong and Jetty and He Armstrong and Getty Strong and the Independence Day. It's the fourth of July and it's the Armstrong and Getty replay featuring bits and pieces of our podcast, Armstrong and Geddy. One more thing, don't miss a single moment. Get every episode on the iHeart app and wherever you get your podcasts. Don't Happy Be Worried. It's one more thing.
Speaker 2: What I was reminded of the Bobby McFerrin classic Don't Worry Be Happy the other day as it was listed on the Worst Songs of the nineties.
Speaker 1: I guess something that very popular. It was a cute little ditty. It's fine. I don't know, it's fine.
Speaker 2: People love, you know, slamming other people's choices in music too much.
Speaker 1: I gotta hate on being happy? Yeah, right, exactly.
Speaker 2: But don't Happy Be Worried is the theme kind of sort of a really interesting study that's out.
Speaker 1: Researchers from the.
Speaker 2: University of Toronto, Scarborough and University of Sydney, the Canuckers joining up with the Australians. Trump will be you know, annexing them both soon. But anyway, for now, we'll let them have their cute little universities.
Speaker 1: But they they right.
Speaker 2: We live in a happiness obsessed world. Self help guru's promise paths to Bliss, Instagram influencers pedal. Happiness is a lifestyle, and corporations build marketing campaigns around the pursuit of positive emotions. But new research suggests, say surprising twist.
Speaker 1: I doubt yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: Trying to art to be happy might make you miserable. The researchers that the aforementioned universities found that actively pursuing happiness drains our mental energy, the same energy we need for self control, among other things. Says the researcher, the pursuit of happiness is a bit like a snowball effect. You decide to try making yourself happier, but then that effort deplete your ability to do the kinds of things that actually make you happier.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, there's the key right there. What kind of things actually make you happy?
Speaker 3: So among my favorite books I've ever read in my life the Art of Happiness by the Dali Lama, which he says, your goal every morning when you wake.
Speaker 1: Up should be to make yourself happy. You should spend all your time trying to make yourself happy. That's what you should do.
Speaker 3: But it gets down to the data on what makes you happy and what doesn't. And many, many of the things we all do every single day don't make us happy. They've never made us happy. We have ample evidence from our own experience, let alone other people's experience, that it doesn't make us happy, yet we continue doing it, like eating bad food or buying stuff, or promiscuous sex or whatever it is. It has never made us in the happy, It doesn't make other people happy, yet we keep thinking that's what's gonna make us happy. So pursuing happiness every day is okay. You just need to define what makes people actually makes people happy.
Speaker 2: Maybe this is the key. Pleasure is not happiness. Fun is not happiness, right, it can be part of it.
Speaker 1: We mentioned all them. No life of purpose is what makes people happy? Yeah? Yeah, happy happy. You wake up determined to have a great day.
Speaker 2: You plan mood boosting activities and work hard to stay positive, but by evening you're ordering takeout instead of cooking. Mindlessly scrolling social media and snapping at your partner, while your pursuit of happiness might be the problem. The scientist marketing professor puts it bluntly. Quote, the more mentally run down we are, the more tempted will be to skip cleaning the house and instead scroll social media.
Speaker 3: And they're saying the same thing as the Dalai Lama says, I just I like the way he words it. It's a little more positive. Pursue happiness all day, every day. That should be your goal in life, that should be everybody's goal. But now let's break down what actually makes people happy, as opposed to saying don't pursue happiness, because then it seems like it's a gotta eat my vegetables, gotta you know, all negative stuff and maybe there'll be a payoff.
Speaker 1: In the end. Right.
Speaker 2: It's like the difference between pursuing money and pursuing the skills that will make you money. In a way, Katie, do you have something you want to jump in with? You look thoughtful.
Speaker 4: I I'm kind of overthinking this, I think Okay, to be honest, Well, it's.
Speaker 3: It's amazing that human beings do things that make themselves unhappy all the time, all the time. It's just like one of the most common things we do is do things that make us unhappy. Eat stuff that's gonna make us either feel bad in the moment or make us feel bad long term, or you know, pursue relationships that we know aren't good. But there's either sex, prestige, whatever that that makes you do it. Just we regularly chase things that we know are bad for us, right right.
Speaker 4: My brain was going with, like, things you don't want to do, but the payoff in the end is good.
Speaker 3: Oh, the simplest one is the stirring at your phone. Nobody ever, at the end of the day says I'm sure glad I spent that much time scrolling on my phone.
Speaker 1: Nobody ever, not even for one day, right right.
Speaker 2: I was just going to contrast doom scrolling on Twitter, which I have the compulsion to do and I resist pretty well most times, versus the other day. I mean, this is as mundane as can be. I cleaned out my closet. I went through it thin, the herd of clothing, you know, shoes that don't where, etc. It's neater, it's better organized. It's just it's better. And that made me happy, right Like happy. Yeah, like today, I was not pleasurable.
Speaker 4: I would love to lay on my couch all day, but I know I have laundry to do, and when I get it done, I'm going to be happy that it's done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, I.
Speaker 2: Was just reading an obituary of a fella that I barely knew, and it was post retirement, I'm pretty sure. But he filled his life with the Boys and Girls Club of the area where he lived, and it was really pivotal in guiding them through difficult financial times and growing the programs and stuff like that. I'll bet there was very little of that that was pleasurable. Some of it was because watching kids learn and grow is immensely satisfying, but there's a hell of a lot of work there, and I guarantee that made him happy to his soul.
Speaker 5: I think the best happiness comes from accomplishments. It could be like mowing the grass. Like you're pushing the mower and you look back and you see what you've done, and then when you're all finished, you look at and you think, hey, I'm really feeling happy.
Speaker 1: So why then, evolutionary speaking, why are we is our body screaming out to now mow the lawn tomorrow, lay on on the couch watching this football game is what.
Speaker 3: It's going to make me happy. Even though you're absolutely right. Afterwards, I think, why did I watch? I don't even care about these two teams as opposed to you'll feel happy after you all the one.
Speaker 2: Well, the greatest minds of our time are devoted toward getting you to do things for pleasure for their profit in a way.
Speaker 1: That didn't exist.
Speaker 2: I mean even two hundred years ago there's advertisement, but it was not nearly as effective, manipulative and scientifically based as modern you know, like like Facebook, TikTok. My god, we as a species don't stand a chance against that sort of neurological manipul.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've noticed recently. I don't know if my well, I just I guess I just started doing the Instagram reels thing. I'd never done it beforeth It's kind of the American version of TikTok, I guess. Anyway.
Speaker 3: What's disappointing to me is it's not like doom scrolling or something where I think why did I do that? Or it's pretty good, it's pretty enjoyable. It feeds me lots of stuff.
Speaker 1: I really like, I mean like really like, here's some rare concert footage that it figured out i'd be into that I've never seen before and stuff like that. But it kills a freaking hour where I should either been sleeping or exercising or whatever. So it's actually it's actually enjoyable, like really enjoyable in the time. So that's what I got to fight now is not even start. I am going to further parse language.
Speaker 2: You got pleasure, you got happiness, and Michael, to your point, you have satisfaction. Maybe that's another word to think about happiness and satisfaction as opposed to pleasure.
Speaker 1: If you don't say you're retired and you don't really need to accomplish anything.
Speaker 2: That's when it's the most important, according to everybody I've talked to, to have some purpose.
Speaker 3: You don't think you could just look at Instagram reels feeding your stuff that you actually enjoy and be okay, or would you be miserable.
Speaker 1: You'll be dead soon. I don't know. I can't state that you know with confidence, but.
Speaker 2: I've read a fair amount about retirement, which is funny because I don't know.
Speaker 1: Probably like my job too much.
Speaker 2: But yeah, if you're the sort of person who just retires and you have nothing to do.
Speaker 1: It makes people miserable even if you have things to do.
Speaker 2: You have TikTok. You have something to do. And the golf course, I just play golf. I look at TikTok Cup of the morning. I go play golf again that I look at TikTok.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've since I started on Instagram reels. It's in the TikTok algorithm. Scares me if it's substantially better. Like I was listening to Sarah Iger of The Dispatch saying, if you think Instagram reels is addictive, you have no idea. Because she got sucked into TikTok and then got it off her phone. She says, just so good. It's just every day stuff. I love that. I'm super into.
Speaker 1: My daughter did the same thing. That's why I feel with Instagram reels, like, man, is it good? With coming up stuff that I like? S and l clips, concert videos, stuff that I just love. But you can't, you know, want to live their life doing that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's you know, Lord knows, I've lived a checkered life. But one gift that I got somehow or other, And this may shock you folks. I used to take walks on the wild side now and again, not in the lou reads and it's not gender bending madness, but you know, occasionally in the I could roll a world of the eighties and nineties, there were substances about and there are a couple of experiences I had where I thought, no, I like this too much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so it is with the tickety talk.
Speaker 2: From what I've heard, you realize I am powerless against this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is like an endless.
Speaker 4: They provide you endless entertainment on there, especially when they figure out what you like.
Speaker 1: I mean, you could do that.
Speaker 3: For hours that I wonder if that's what happened. I wonder if I spend enough time on Instagram that it was able to Okay, now we know we got him figured out. Yeah, because it just seems like in the last week or so, it's like really grabbed me.
Speaker 4: Well, And what sucks about that is because I thought, I I'm a dumb ass. I thought I could outsmart the algorithm because I thought, maybe if I don't interact with any posts, you don't like anything.
Speaker 1: I don't interact with any of them, but it picks up your eyeballs or no, it picks up your watch time.
Speaker 4: So if you so like let's say you're scrolling, you stop on a video and you spend the time to watch that video, the algorithm goes, Okay, we kept him here for such and such a.
Speaker 3: Second because I didn't click on it. I didn't do anything. It was just part of a stream.
Speaker 2: It's just because you watched it. I am going to rewatch on YouTube. The social dilemma. The thing is so good documentary, Jack, you gotta watch that. You got it, You just gotta.
Speaker 3: Can They put it in twenty second chunks on a Instagram reel.
Speaker 1: Jeez, we can't save him? Was I gonna say? I had one more thing to say about this. It's just how good it is at figuring out stuff that you really really like. It's it's troubling, actually, and there's stuff that it would have been hard for me to find, like on my own. Oh I was.
Speaker 3: I was thinking about they fixed what used to be. I don't know if you're old enough for this or not.
Speaker 1: Katie.
Speaker 3: You probably are back when you used to. You want something, You sit down, you think, how do I have one hundred and twenty channels and there's nothing I like? Here you click through and there's nothing you like. They fixed that. It's the opposite. Now you like every single thing on every channel. They know exactly what you're into. They got your sports thing, your music thing, your kid's thing. You're just every every channel is something you love as you click through. It's the exact opposite of what he used to be.
Speaker 2: Right, Leggy blonde guitar players playing golf, constant videos, sexy golfing guitarists giving me lessons.
Speaker 1: With a dog doing something funny and a kid doing something cute. Yes, yes, see.
Speaker 5: If you guys agree with this, false happiness comes immediately, Real happiness comes later.
Speaker 1: You have to wait for real happy. Pretty much always is the case. You The Armstrong and Getdy Show. Yeah, more Jack, your show podcasts and our Hot Lakes The Armstrong and Getdy Show.
Speaker 3: I'm thinking of doing a feature. Maybe I'll do it on Twitter someplace called did you eat worse than me today?
Speaker 1: Wow? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Actually my brother might be even better at that. Put up against that, like take it at the end of the day, take a look at what he ate. See if anybody ate worse that? But like yesterday, here here's what I ate yesterday.
Speaker 1: I had.
Speaker 3: Uh well, I had like through almost four hours of zoom calls with various doctors and therapists after working in a variety of other things. So it's just constantly running around stressful pain and the ass.
Speaker 1: Stuff and to make a person completely insane. But anyway, so I just running from one thing to another thing to another thing and having to make major decisions of this or so. But so I went through drive through, got four cheeseburgers and McDonald's and then I went home and washed that down with some chocolate birthday cake. So that was like the major portion of my eating yesterday. Wow. And uh, I just I thought, does anybody, especially my age, eating as poorly as me? And how is my body just not stopped? Just said, all right, if you don't care, we don't care. Drop dead. You know, there's probably somebody out there that can best you. But you know, I'm guessing there like a six hundred pound trucker or something like that. I can't beget us. I tell you what I was thinking to you yesterday.
Speaker 2: I was fighting through one of those miserable situations where the tax guy says, you've got to have this form I tind to do with a health savings account.
Speaker 1: Oh ah, and the.
Speaker 2: Benefits people at the one of the fabulous and patriotic American corporations that we're associated with. Theoretically they have this form theoretically, but you got to get signed in. I sign in two accounts that have that same user ID every day, every day. But apparently for this sub account, that user that password does not count. So it was a back and forth with Benefits and HR with various double authenticated signing codes and the rest of it. And it was my brilliant wife, myself, my iPhone, my iPad, and my MacBook.
Speaker 1: All involved in an all ferens. It's like a Mike Lyons is always talking about how you have to have the infantry and air support and artillery and tanks and logistics to win the war of getting this heffing form.
Speaker 2: And I thought, there you are trying to deal with the fellas, and I salute you. You scrambling parents everywhere. It's not easy, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, God dang it.
Speaker 3: So I mentioned the other day about trying to get my son on the Hot Lunch. You finally want to eat the hot lunch. And it's a different website that uses a different log in that has a different password, that is.
Speaker 2: A it has a different log in, because you can't have the Russians stealing the secrets of.
Speaker 1: Our fish stack. But I'm surprised, no what he's made the argument, maybe I'll do this because maybe it would help that this has got to be especially tough on people with lesser education and lesser resources, people that don't have iPads and iPhones and college degrees in everything like that. How are they supposed to navigate this crap.
Speaker 3: To take advantage of, you know, your various things that you can do in the modern world. You gotta throw in people of color. If you don't, you're a fool. Whatever it would take to try to streamline this stuff.
Speaker 2: Our native peoples have been shown to have seventy eight percent more trouble finding their password yes than white people.
Speaker 1: Throw that nobody will check it. Nobody checks any of this crap. I love that angle.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna start working that angle to see if I can get things fixed.
Speaker 1: Armstrong and get you you you, what the hell are you talking about? Well, pressure, this is the Armstrong and Getty Show, the Armstrong and Getty Show. What.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I've got a pretty good immune system for stuff like normal diseases that go around. I usually don't get them. What would it be like if I ate better? I might be impenetrable.
Speaker 2: You could be well, you're you're just at the tail and raising little kids. Now you have teenagers, so you have been enrolled in the marine boot camp right of immune systems raising children. So I've got a number of people in my orbit who take nothing when they get a cold. They don't they believe it's all bs, and they don't take anything. I take a few things.
Speaker 3: Do you take anything? Do you think anything works? Katie's nodding her head. We'll start with you. I take theraflu. You take theraflu. I have found that to work. I don't care if it's PLACEBIA. If I suffer from PLACEBIA, doesn't matter to me. As long as I feel better. I don't need anybody to tell me it doesn't. Actually, I don't care. I feel better. Do you take anything like tile and all or I view profen. At one point I was down with the zinc.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I couldn't figure out what form, and I just kind of remember when nobody got a cold during COVID. Yeah, I've fallen out of I don't remember what to do anymore.
Speaker 3: I got a bottle of uh, it's you know something or other they say take when a cold first you first start to get the symptoms of a cold, and it's zinc and a couple other things. And I don't know if they do anything, but I feel like if I take that, if I do get the cold, it's much milder.
Speaker 1: Again, might be in my head, I don't care. I also use zycham, yeah, which is awesome. I've heard people recommend sinuses and stuff. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I tend not to trust my own experience because the data set isn't big enough.
Speaker 1: But I don't I don't know.
Speaker 2: I have no information that there's anything wrong with taking that stuff, and what the hell it worst is harmless? But you're not a take nothing guy or no, I am, pretty much, although I'm thinking now that you mentioned it, maybe I'll take some tile and all or something. I actually my symptoms aren't that bad other than just overwhelming fatigue at this point.
Speaker 5: Now, do you guys take niq will And that's what I do, and I go to sleep afraid of it.
Speaker 1: You're afraid of night time niquil? Yeah, Well, with our hours, I don't.
Speaker 4: If I wake up groggy or oversleep, that's not good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't.
Speaker 3: Alcoholics are not supposed to take NyQuil because it's basically taken a shot alcohol to help sleep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't for the reason Katie cided. I just it's hard enough to get up in the morning and be semi sharp. Yeah, listeners of the first hour of the radio showing not very sharp.
Speaker 3: One thing with giving your kids stuff, you kind of have a better gauge of whether it's actually doing anything or not, especially when they're little. They're too young to like and uh, most stuff I don't think does much.
Speaker 1: All right? Oh yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 2: Remember when that one thing that was ubiquitous on the still it drug store shelves of America.
Speaker 3: It's still in every freaking drug I buy, Every cold medicine you buy still has that fenel en run or whatever it's called in it. And the government announced it does nothing. We're completely different. The FDA said it does zero zero, it's a nothing and it's an iri cold medicine.
Speaker 1: Still, you're wasting your time on the fenel helamelo melo till right, yes, hell, well, how do you say it? Katie?
Speaker 3: Looking at it? But so it's on yours. What are you looking at right there?
Speaker 1: This is DayQuil. When I had this flu last.
Speaker 4: Time around, I took everything under the sun that I could get my hands on because I was trying to get rid of that crap.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's in here too. Every cold medicine in every aisle of every store that sells cold medicine has drugs full of that, and the government announced it doesn't do anything. I just think that's weird, just counting on that people don't know.
Speaker 2: It's because it's funny to say, oh, yeah, yeah, well, the percentage of people you know. Honestly, we've posed this question in many contexts in recent days and through the years. What percentage of Americans? One of us will ask the other do you think knows that anything story or or anything? Yeah, And in this case, what percentage do you think could tell you? Oh, yeah, Fennel elephant here is it's it was worthless. I remember that news story be a very very small number.
Speaker 1: I suppose you're right. Okay, this says Feda left freen FENI la Freene. That's the way he sat.
Speaker 2: Okay, Fennel left Frene fenelefrine, I like, your guys, is better than elephant.
Speaker 1: Well, since it doesn't do anything, I'll call whatever I want to call it. It's a bunch of wowches, hilarious. What you got too much blood in your body is your problem?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: You got to bleed your feet. You don't have the uh stomach to actually slice open your own feet. Isn't that what killed George Washington? You? Yeah, well it hastened his death certainly. Yeah, I don't know why.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm a bit of a history freak and a bit of a medical history hobbyist and a great admirer of George Washington. That was I listened with rapt attention and like committed it all the memory there in his bedroom where he died, as you're there by his bedside, probably a recreation. But and they explained that, yeah, he had what did they think he had? I can't remember the disease. I didn't memorize it that effectively, obviously, But the doctors in he probably did not have aids uh.
Speaker 1: He was an honorable and elderly man.
Speaker 2: Anyway, that the doctors in treating him for what was probably whatever the hell, just kept saying, yeah, we got to bleed the feet and let out the bad humors, and he'd like grally a little bit, and they'd think, yeah, we probably ought to bleed his feet more.
Speaker 1: He died. What if you don't have enough red blood cells anemia? He probably died. And it was all that for a throat infection, is what the interwebs said. Too much bloody is your problem?
Speaker 2: Yeah, streptococcal infection or something. He should have taken some phenahell element, a little bit elephant.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: So I started out the podcast. I figure I might as well pay it off. And this is this is pleasant and delightful. A bread making craze has begun in my extended family. Oh cool, Yeah, I remember during the pandemic when people started doing that, and so yeah, grub. Oddly enough, it began with a relative who has some sensory issues, Jack, something you know about, and certainly I do, having raised an autistic daughter. But anyway, a certain homemade bread seemed to be great, and it happens to be unfreaking believably delicious. I'm going to keep things vague to protect the innocent, but say my it was my uncle Morty, and we would make reference to Morty bread and how good it was. And Morty when he would come for a visit would always leave a loaf. And when I was through with Morty bread, I was very very sad because it was so good.
Speaker 1: Before I leave work today, Oh god, Jesus boy, you know Jack? You know what, Katie, I just do you want to go off and do our own thing? Could we? Would you take me? Wouldn't ever? Yeah, Michael, you're higher and here you can watch Jack. We're out of here, you can you guess is going to be like?
Speaker 2: And this, this is this happened to me at least once in my youth. It was explained to me, Hey, the band just got a break up. We just we can't do this and it's too much trouble to do that. And so we're breaking up. And then a week later here, yeah they're playing he just got a different dude played your instrument.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Yeah. Wow, So that's what we're doing to Jack right now. Yeah. We I'm really not gonna do it radio anymore.
Speaker 3: That's like the they break up with you because I just I just don't think I should be in a relationship right now. And then you see them walking down the street holding hands with somebody. Yeah, next weekend. Oh okay, Oh, I'm going into bread making. You guys have fun. Okay, the bread making, I am that's something I would like to actually learn how to do one because I love homemade bread and it just seems like could be a cool craft.
Speaker 2: And I pronounced, having enjoyed some bread, and then switched back to the regular stuff.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it's just so much better.
Speaker 2: And so Judy got a new mixer because our old mixer's motor was kind of funky. And so now she's got this big, like industry looking mixer. And she made a couple of loafs of what's known as the mort He Bred. And my lost student daughter made herself some bread, although one of her two cats stepped on the bread as it was proofing, which I guess means rising or something. Yeah, And so one of the loaves is robust and very healthy looking, and the other loaf is really.
Speaker 1: Just excuse me loaf, because I can't ruined it, damn cats. The cat stepped on the bread. But you're gonna go ahead and make it anyway, doesn't that mean?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you put it in the oven at three hundred and fifty degrees for a half an hour or whatever it is.
Speaker 1: It's fine. I don't know that I want letterbox bread. Yeah, this tastes a little like whatever a cat walks through. Well, now, I will tell you this.
Speaker 2: Having baby sat my daughter's cats for three weeks over Christmas, she does occasionally get ready the bleeper. She doesn't occasionally refer to their s mittens because they.
Speaker 1: You know, they pooh out, they poo in the box, then they walk out of the box. Sure, that's that's see, that's not a tasty term. Like they dip their taws and some paus and some sort of disinfectant on their way out. Must clean the palls after one poos you there, No, they don't do that. That's a great term.
Speaker 3: It is, and discuss we've got cats and Michael there, I'm going to use that term patting around in mittens all over your house.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna start calling people mittens. This is great, Oh my goodness, this is many charming folks. I apologize. I work at this guy and working with and told me the other day, but a bunch of mittens around here? Why do I put up with it?
Speaker 4: I know?
Speaker 1: Anyway? Where was I?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: I was gonna talk out the various things that are so far superior in their homemade version, right, but we've kind of drifted so far away from it. Like I brewed beer for a while. My brother brewis beer and it's so good.
Speaker 2: He's actually got the cooler with two taps, and anytime we visit his house he has home brewed beer in kegs on tap.
Speaker 1: Wow, icy cold on his patio. It's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's so although if I lived like that, I would be a flaming alcoholic in three hundred and seventy five pounds. But if there's a downside, but I'd be happy and I wouldn't be thinking about my problems, and people would be more interesting.
Speaker 1: But bread might be at the top of the list. Beer is close. I say cookies, and I'm a bit of a purest, maybe a bit of a pain in the ass. I know that's hard to imagine. I will not eat store bought cookies. I just I won't because the calories and the taste.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh, those cookies that I sent you guys, the picture of o her break that I made.
Speaker 1: They were so I know. Homemade cookie is it's it's it's just it's like sex. It's so good.
Speaker 3: I grew up in Wisconsin with a lot of homemade butter, and homemade butter is just so much better than what he did in the store.
Speaker 1: It's like a different thing you for each brother. I wouldn't know if you put homemade, and I had forgotten how good it was. So this field trip my son went on to a couple of years ago, they churn buttered.
Speaker 3: They I spent more time churning than the kids did, but as I was one of the chaperones, but I turned up the exactly their weedy little arms. I turned up the butter, and I'd forgotten how good it is. You put homemade butter on homemade bread and you have a flip and treat right there.
Speaker 1: That sounds wonderful. I'm guessing.
Speaker 4: Oh no, I'm just I'm in the process of trying to make sour dough bread because that's my favorite oh of life, and I haven't.
Speaker 1: I haven't gotten it down yet because it's complicated.
Speaker 2: But we missed the whole getting a starter going during COVID thing I wish we had. But yeah, Jack, I'm sure there are semi overpriced like electric butter turns you can get from you know, sharper imagure whatever.
Speaker 3: We did it the old timy away with a look like the thing you've seen in old timey movies with a stick in a cylinder with a hole on the top.
Speaker 1: It kind of looks a little sexual. But I mean, you're you're doing this thing. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. But yeah, homemade butter, that's that's what you gotta add. You have homemade bread with homemade butter. Oh wow, got to do it. I'm looking at how to make homemade butter. It doesn't look that difficult. It's not hard at all. I'm going to try it today. Do it, yeah, and then report back. Oh so good, Get me a tub not that sort of stuff to and sell over there at the store. Oh, I know it, I know it.
Speaker 5: My mom bakes bread and she's the sweetest woman ever. But when her yeast doesn't rise, f bombs.
Speaker 1: Stay to the kitchen man In Danger, Danger, Armstrong and the Armstrong and Getti Show.
Speaker 3: My son was playing the drums at the high school basketball game, the first time I've watched him do it at the basketball game, and I hadn't been banned situation drumline. So it's just all drums. But first time I've been inside a small high school gym watching a game with all that goes on with that in many, many decades.
Speaker 1: It hasn't changed a bit. Really. It was a lot more people staring at their phones than the last time I. Nobody was staring at some piece of equipment in their hand back the last time I was in a gym. But other than that, it was all the same.
Speaker 3: And I wish this weren't true. I know this makes me a crazy person, but I get just as uncomfortable. I was just as uncomfortable last night being in that gym as I was when I was in a high school myself, and all the dynamics of high school and everything that goes on with that and everything, and how much I hated it, and how how it just freaked me out. I feel exactly the same way now, and it's just it's it's some sort of PTSD, right, It's got to be, because obviously I don't need to know if the cool group thinks I've got the right shoes on or anything now.
Speaker 2: Right, And your shoes are lovely, by the way, We're all just commenting on what nice shoes you have.
Speaker 1: Whatever the stupid moronic dynamics of high school are you know? It's it's absolutely anthropological.
Speaker 2: It's at the point that you're really becoming in charge of keeping your DNA alive. You take in data about what's a danger, what's good, what's bad, and it burns permanent pathways in your head so you don't have to be reminded of it again just to survive.
Speaker 1: It's like, yeah, I wouldn't call being in.
Speaker 2: The same room with your your first love PTSD good, But does that bring on a lot of emotion?
Speaker 1: That's a good loan, that's that's a pretty good. That's pretty good. That's per charitable and pretty good. And it's so easy. I feel like the spot as I'm sitting there in the gym, I can say, Okay, there's the cool group. They just walked in, look at the like the water's part as they walk through, and everybody stared hated them a little, didn't you. I don't know. I didn't.
Speaker 3: I don't think I hated them. I don't think I ever hated them. I was scared of them, but I didn't hate them. Then there's there's the group that wants to be them but not quite is, and there's the outliers. They're kind of standing alone over there, and they wish they could be part of any group.
Speaker 1: And you can. You can just see all the dynamics of high school just right there in front of you.
Speaker 2: You're freaking everyone out. This is making me really uncomfortable, which proves your point.
Speaker 1: Now's your chance, Jack. You see that cool group, you can tell them off. Listen, you think you're so cool. See, I don't. I never, I don't. I didn't have that feeling. Then I don't have that feeling. Now tell them off for what? How dare you be attractive and have good personalities and good at something?
Speaker 5: How?
Speaker 1: And screw you? I'm I didn't feel that way them. I don't feel that way, and that's healthy, that's right. You gotta tear them down. Life is a zero some game. Their happiness is your unhappiness. Look at your DEI training. If they have something, it's because they stole it. There's no such thing as merits. There's a certain amount of happiness to go around. There was a particular guy and girl that walked in high school. Guy and girl and he was he looked like like something from a TV show, and she was stunning and it was just like the attention they got when they came over to the bleachers and kind of just sat wherever they wanted. Everybody moved out of the way, and it's just something to see. What is it with human beings? I don't know, do bears do the same thing.
Speaker 2: I mean, they're sitting there eating their berries or overturning trash cans or something. Then a really hot looking bear and her big bear mate come along. Oh my god, look at them. Yeah, he could be a movie star.
Speaker 1: You and they looked so comfortable and in charge of the world, like things could never be better. And then all the other peop people you could see the angst on their face. So not all of them, but certain groups of people. Is just like you know, looking around and trying to how should I walk, how should I sit? How should I whatever? You know that goes on when you're that age. Just oh my god. I wouldn't go through that again for any amount of money. Like observing a.
Speaker 2: Band of chimps in the forest lest pooh chucking, thank goodness.
Speaker 3: And I don't And one other thing before we got to get to Katie's headlines, I don't know. My brother was telling me about how like his daughter is a super stud of high school girls basketball player, and he said, girls basketball is so much better now than it was like when we were younger.
Speaker 1: It's different thing, but so is the boys.
Speaker 3: I thought, this boy's high school team, I don't know if my high school team could score a.
Speaker 1: Basket on these guys.
Speaker 3: Has everything just gotten that much better because of youth sports or emphasis on sports or something?
Speaker 1: But yeah, more professionalized. Everything's more professional.
Speaker 2: Games are not to be played for fun, there to be excelled at to game of scholarship.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's it.
Speaker 3: But it was a completely different level than the last time I was in a high school gym, which was a very very long time. I was in Black and White, Armstrong and Getty