Speaker 1: Episode four eighty one, Tips for a great No Spend Month.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Frugal Friends podcast, where you'll learn to save money, embrace simplicity, and liver a your life. Here your hosts Jen and Jill.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Frugal Friends podcast. My name is Jen, my name is Jill. And today, if you're listening to this on the day it releases is January thirty first woo and for many of you, you may be starting or restarting a no spend challenge. We're actually doing this in the friend letter, so if you subscribe to that, and if don't, if you're not, you should Frugal friendspodcast dot com. We are walking through the entire month of February a no spend challenge and kind of helping you along the way, giving some pointers, giving some resources so that you can have a really great no spend month. And February is the shortest month of the year, so we know dummies. We are not dummies. Everybody out here trying to do no spend January and we the intelligent people in the Frugal Friends community. This year we do in no spend February. We have done no spend January. We love No Spend January, but we're going to be true to our hearts. Yeah, and we're going to do a twenty eight day so.
Speaker 3: We know that if you're listening to this on the day, you've only got today to prepare for tomorrow. But also, no, you can do a thirty day no Spend challenge. It doesn't have to follow along with the month exactly. You get to choose. We'll get into that, yeah, Yeah, just so you know, there's more resources to come. If you like what we're talking about here, you can join us in the challenge.
Speaker 1: But first, this episode is brought to you by twenty nine. The number twenty nine.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Last year February had twenty nine days, it did, and we didn't no Spend January last year because why why would we cheat ourselves of a day if we could just get like around even thirty. But this year we're back to twenty eight. And actually I hope last year was a leapier because I might be getting all my years now. I think you're right, yea, who twenty nine and yeah, bringing it back, I'm bringing it back. You know what's also not twenty nine this year? Our book? Oh, it's twenty five.
Speaker 4: Yes, because it twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: No, it's twenty five dollars, jill out, our book is twenty five dollars.
Speaker 4: I'm just trying to track, which, if.
Speaker 1: You compare prices to all the other personal finance books out there, is a dollar or so cheaper I think around two dollars cheaper than most other personal finance books out there. We did that intentionally because we know your frugal and our book by What you Love Without Going Broke is available now. So if you are looking for a personal finance book that you're going to want to own, you're going to want to highlight it, you're going to want to take notes, and your budget is twenty five dollars. Head to buy what youlovebook dot com. Get yours right now, support your local bookstore bookshop.
Speaker 3: Dot org, and quick do it before the No Spend Challenge starts tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Quick, quick, quick, quick, You got this?
Speaker 3: Okay, So we are going to talk about how to set yourself up for a great no spend month, and we're primarily going to be looking through this article that we found from Simple Purposeful Living. It's titled Mom's Guide for how to do a No Spend Month.
Speaker 4: Challenge.
Speaker 3: You don't have to be a mom in order for this information to stick with you and be helpful, but if you are mom, you know.
Speaker 1: It'll be extra helpful, a little bit catered.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we want to start first, start talking about why to even do one, what's the point in the first place. Then we'll go through some how to's and some what ifs, because we know you all have questions and you're thinking about all the reasons that this isn't going to work for you, and we're going to address those.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So you know, I love no spend challenges. I wrote a book on them called the No Spend Challenge Guide. They have a whole dedicated section in our book by what you Love without going Broke. But let me just reiterate why it's so important to do one and how helpful it is. And I'm so glad that simple purpose Living, purposeful Living agrees. She says the goal of the no spend month is to reset our spending habits, and she's specifically talking about no spend January. She said it's especially helpful after the holiday season, and I mean February is the same, Like, I think it teaches you even more because you are learning how how I don't want this to sound negative, but how incapable we are of just kind of trying to white knuckle our way through changing our habits. We say, I have been doing this for the last one to two months, this by now, by now, by now, and then I think that I'm just going to do a total one eighty in January and be even better than I was in September and October in the months leading up to this trigger happy November and December, and we are quickly reminded of how that's not the way our brains work, and it can be a bummer. But we actually had a book signing last night and one of the questions in our Q and A is like, what do you do when you make a mistake? And I'm going to say that right here. When we make mistakes, and we are doing these no spend challenges, we fail. We almost you want to celebrate it. And because it is an opportunity to learn, you're giving yourself with a no spend challenge, self imposed barrier, self imposed friction between you and the buy now button, you and the cash register, and this friction will inadvertently lead to mistakes quote unquote and you get to learn from those mistakes, you get to observe and implement new ways of doing things and move on and be better.
Speaker 3: Of course, there's the benefit of being able to possibly save more set more money aside for particular goals. But I really love the primary why being self understanding and creating better habits for the long term. I think that's a really excellent reason. But you can also define your own reasons for this, and we'll talk a little bit more about the whys and how you can kind of define that. But let's first talk about how to set up some of these ground rules, because it's going to be really important to define some of these limitations and the boundary lines that you are going to be willing to operate within ahead of time. And so the first one is certainly just deciding the timeline. How long do you plan on doing this no spend challenge. We are talking about doing it for a month or thirty days, So if you want to do it for the entire month of February or you want to say thirty days. Of course, there are no spend challenges out there that talk about kind of no spend days throughout the month, doing a certain amount of no spend days throughout the year. There's doing a no spend two weeks and no spend one week. All of these are possible, but we are primarily focusing on the thirty days. We do recommend this. We think that this is a great place to begin and even a great place for kind of ongoing, something that you could do every year. And it's because of the ways in which our brain works and how habits are formed and reformed. So we've recognized that it takes. And this comes from research from Diane Lemky's and Lemkey's book I Don't Know aways want to call her Diane and Lemky's book Dopamine Nation, where she describes kind of how long it takes for us to come down off of some of the dopamine hits that we are accustomed to experiencing on a regular basis with any type of addiction. That it takes about twenty eight to thirty days for us to be able to retrain some of those neural pathways in our brains to not rely so heavily upon these kind of quick dopamine hits. It doesn't mean that we don't need or want dopamine anymore, but where that dopamine is coming from, and being able to reintroduce other dopamine hits that might be more beneficial for us, for our wallets, for our lifestyles. So we can really experience an opportunity to shift our spending behaviors and habits if we give ourselves this full thirty days. So that would be a really good parameter, a really good timeframe to set.
Speaker 1: But if you're doing it in February, twenty eight will get you as much benefit as thirty. I assure you doctor Lemke's dopamine fast. We're all twenty eight days. So next is decide what counts. You have to define what is discretionary or quote unquote non essential. And so the reason that we do that is because I always get emails about no spend challenges, being like I tried to start one, but then I needed gas in my car and it was over, and I was like, are you impulse buying gas? Is that a struggle for you in your spending habits? No, well, then it doesn't count in the challenge. You want to decide the most challenging things that you see an issue with your spending. Those are the things that you're giving up The mindless, the habitual, the things that you believe are hindering yourself from reaching your financial goals faster, because it's going to help you change them. And then maybe occasionally it's going to alert you to the things that you thought were problems were not actually problems. It was other things that you weren't even thinking about. So that's why we have to decide what counts. And an easy way to do this is just saying, like anything discretionary just across the board anything discretionary. Things that are not discretionary are bills, the gas to put in our car to get us to work. Like all of those things that you need that you are not impulse buying, that you don't want to buy, that you could easily give up if you wanted, those are the you still need to be buying. It's the things that you know. The first thing that pops in your head is like, I don't want to give up Taco Tuesday. Well that's probably something you should give up for a month and figure out how do I get the same dopamine hit as Taco Tuesday, but for less expensive or for free.
Speaker 3: The next thing that we want to do ahead of time before we are engaging in this challenge is identifying your why, what you hope to gain from this experience, and I would say write it down so that we do have something to look back on, because reflection is going to be a really key part of doing the snow spend challenge. So whether that is taking a breaking a habit, or you really do want to be able to set some money aside for a bigger investment, if it's aligning your behavior with your values, writing these things down to really identify this is the reason and the purpose behind this, not just because Jen and Jil said that it would be a good idea. One thing I will ad that's not in this article, but it is in our book that we think is really important to do before doing a no spend challenge is that ninety day transaction inventory. We talk about doing this before we set a budget. It's also going to be really important to do this before we engage in this challenge because it can help us to define what will our goals be for this no spend challenge. So as we go through this ninety day transaction inventory, which is just looking at all of our spending for the last ninety days by compiling our credit card statements, our bank statements, and being able to look through line by line where are we spending money? What are some of the cues the triggers that are coming before some of these transactions. This can highlight to us what are our spending behaviors right now? What are some of our habits and identifying Okay, does it happen at a certain time of day, is it a certain location, is there a certain emotion that might be triggering some of the spending. That can help you to define what is it that I'm hoping to shift in this and it can also help you to be able to create this list of what could be some alternatives for me rather than just depriving myself, what else could I be doing? So if you've got the time to do the ninety day transaction beforehand, that would be really great.
Speaker 1: So let's get into some of the what ifs. These are the really tactical tips for doing the no Spend challenge, And the first one we'll bring up is the grocery store. We have to eat every single day. We are not going to be able to get food for free every single day, but it is something that causes a lot of impulse spending. So we've kind of got that double edged sword. We need it. It is a necessity, but can also be the source of a lot of our overspending. So how do we navigate that. The first thing is meal planning, So we want a meal plan for the whole month. And this is exactly what the author says. The biggest help for her was meal planning. She said it's her best friend. Every Friday, she would create a shopping list and she would do her grocery shopping. She would stick to the list to avoid any impulse buys. Now, if you are having to shop in store, it is going to be a lot harder to navigate the impulse shopping than if you are shopping online. So I would say if you haven't, then it may be time to try out online grocery shopping. If you have a Walmart nearby, you can do that for free. They do not raise the prices of the groceries when you are shopping online, and then you can pick it up for free. If you have a thirty day free trial of Walmart Plus available, then this could be the month that you take advantage of that free trial so that you don't even have to go pick up your groceries. At that point you can have them delivered, so it takes away it creates that barrier so that it's much easier to stick to your list and you don't have to go into the store and be tempted.
Speaker 3: I love the grocery shopping online for specifically a no spend challenge. It does help me to not spend a ton of money. It keeps me to my list. She also talks about not like avoiding certain sections of the store where you know you're just not going to need anything from them, or you might be tempted to purchase something that you don't need. So plenty of little tips and tricks and hacks around the grocery store. But I think some people will also pair this with a pantry challenge, so being sure that we are using up the things that are in our fridge, freezer, pantry before we're even making that grocery list, so that we're not even going to the grocery store maybe as often as we might typically be going month to month. So that can also just eliminate some of those temptations.
Speaker 1: And maybe you're not doing it the full month, maybe you just say the first week you want to do a pantry challenge, and that's that's good too.
Speaker 3: The other what if that can come up is what if I don't want to be boring?
Speaker 4: What if I want to have fun?
Speaker 3: What if I'm a person who enjoys life, don't and I want to dive in the presence stop it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, next, well, here's the thing. You can still have fun.
Speaker 3: And this is why that this prep time is really important to be able to define some of the alternatives, the things that you are going to do instead. When you feel the desire to buy something, and maybe just because you want that dopamine hit, because you want the rush and the thrill of spending, or because it's the path of least resistance and we're comfortable and accustomed to buying our solutions, it's really important to have a list of alternatives. So maybe that means that you're actually writing down I'm going to work on that hobby that I've been wanting to do. I'm going to use up the craft supplies that I already have. I'm going to go for a walk. I'm gonna check out this park. I'm going to go to the library. I'm going to look at free events on Facebook, Marketplace, I'm gonna have friends over. You come up with the list, You decide the things that are going to sound really fun to you, but know that you can go to this list when you're experiencing the pinch of oh man, why did I.
Speaker 4: Do this to myself?
Speaker 3: I've got this whole long list of things that I can try out. Let me see if any of this will fit. The other thing that we recommend is tell your friends, because I think one of the hardest things, at least for me, is when invites come up, Hey, you want to go out this happy hour, you want to go see this movie, you want to go to this event. If my friends know ahead of time that I'm doing this, first of all, it might just help to eliminate like the invite where I'm going to experience fomo, But it can also allow your friends to think through two what could we do together? Or keep you accountable to Hey, I was going to say let's do this, but I know you're doing a no spend challenge, so like, what do you want to do? Or maybe even challenge you to be the initiator of plans. If this isn't typically in your wheelhouse, it's an opportunity to try something new and invite people over. Hey, you want to come over Saturday morning for a coffee, You want to meet up for a packed lunch, you want to go for a walk with me? Do you want to check out this free event? So it doesn't mean that we have to crawl into a hole for the month. It just means that we have to be a little bit more creative. But we are going to learn so much more about ourselves. We're still going to experience awesome connection with people when we're able to exercise this creativity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you are not paying attention, check back in and replay what Jill just said, because it is going to It is this secret to sticking with the no spend challenge with a no spend month, and it comes down to identifying. Okay, I'm just going to as soon you already re listened to it. It comes down to identifying what we are really after when we are making purchases. We need to be aware of our higher needs, our need for connection, belonging, love, our connection for our needs for self esteem and self confidence, creativity, spontaneity. Those are the things we are truly after and those when you make your list, you need to make sure all of those things are on the list, because that is what we are buying when we are buying clothes, makeup, skincare, when we're just impulse buying, when we're going out to eat, we are buying our higher needs. And so when you can make a list of fun things to do that are specifically based off of your higher needs, then you will find you are naturally in pulse buying much less. Next is I got on my soapbox and now, okay, what if I want to buy something? What if I just see something that I want to impulse buy? Is that mine or yours?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, take it?
Speaker 1: Okay, so this happens. I don't think impulse buying is the enemy, is the thing. And I know this makes us an outlier in the frugal community that we don't think impulse spending is bad. We think impulse spending comes from that need we have for spontaneity and so and sometimes it can be a very cool thing that you really could be missing out on if you pass it up. But that's the exception, not the rule. So we don't want to villainize all of it. But again, it's the exception, not the rule. So if you see something that you really want to buy, save it on a list right down, take a picture of it, and wait, because you need to give yourself that time so your brain can differentiate. Is this something I really want and really solves a problem that I actually have, or is it something that has created a pattern interrupt in my daily routine that has made me not think straight and created a problem that I didn't have before that I need to solve with this product or service, or made me think it's going to make me feel better about myself or get more community or whatever.
Speaker 4: What is it?
Speaker 1: You just need to create and a no spend challenge gives you that space. It gives you an excuse to have that space. And so when those things do come up, save the thing and then forget about it for a little bit, forget about it for however many days you have left in your challenge. I guarantee you if it's on sale, it'll go back on sale again. And if it's not, then you can wait for a sale. That's great, that's even better, But it will still be available in twenty eight.
Speaker 4: Days, sure will, and you may not want it anymore.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of times that's one of the reflection pieces when you go back and look at, well, what is the list that I created and be able to sometimes laugh at Oh wow, look.
Speaker 4: I wanted that. I'm so glad I didn't buy that.
Speaker 3: Or I do still want that. That's going to solve a problem for me, And okay, great, You've allowed yourself plenty of space to sit and think on it and really know that you're going to feel good about that spending decision. And I think you know, allowing yourself to ask some of those questions if one of the goals is learning more about who we are how we spend. When you have that urge to buy something, it's an excellent opportunity for some of this understanding of what am I experiencing right now in my body? What is my brain telling me to do? What am I getting after? What's the loss I feel like I'm going to experience if I don't get this thing, And what does that tell me about my relationship with money, my desire to buy things, and what can I do instead, again not just depriving myself but replacing some of these things. Another what if that can come up is what if I messed up I didn't write it down Jen and Jill and I.
Speaker 4: Just bought the thing.
Speaker 1: Quit, start over, Quit and try again.
Speaker 3: Now, No, that's not right. Jen's playing Devil's advocate here and it's kind of fun.
Speaker 1: I'm just playing devil.
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't quit. That is the point. You will not do this perfectly, spoiler. You will never create a perfect spending plan. You will never create a perfect meal plan. You will never create a perfect no spend challenge month. All of these are learning opportunities. It is not failure. It is you did something outside of the parameters that you set for yourself.
Speaker 4: But it's going to be informative.
Speaker 1: Some people don't want to do a no spend month because they don't think that they can do it. They don't think they can spend for no month and no boiler, none of us. That's why you do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so keep going.
Speaker 3: Don't let that be an opportunity for you to say, Ah, I didn't do it fully. I'm just going to quit all together. Now I'm going to buy whatever I want and maybe i'll try again next month.
Speaker 4: No, just keep going and allow this.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't even call it a mess up, but allow this spending that you didn't intend to do to inform you about what was behind that spending and how could you make a different choice in the future, and what led you to make this purchasing decision, because again, when this challenge is over, you're going to go back to spending money. So allow this to be the opportunity to learn more about how you spend and the lessons that you then want to take with you into the rest of the year.
Speaker 1: And honestly, we need to learn how to make mistakes. We have been conditioned to believe that mistakes are failure. In reality, mistakes are life, and the only failure is not acknowledging him and learning from them. We need to learn how to make mistakes, to be okay with it, and the skill to observe the mistake and really non judgmentally look at it and see, okay, what was the source of it, where did it come from, and how can I make a different decision next time.
Speaker 3: The nature of this challenge means that there's going to be a bit of slowing down. It just we're slowing down our thinking processes. We're creating more friction, which leads to some more slowness. We're asking ourselves questions, we're noticing things and so because of that, it's also a really great time to kind of re look at take inventory of all the things that we're spending money on. So this could be a great time to address some of your bills while you're still paying your bills. It's an awesome time to renegotiate bills, make sure that the subscriptions you're subscribed to are still working for you, they still make sense within your spending plan, that the big things that you're spending money on still fit in this season, and if they don't, then realigning and that's where we can even experience even bigger savings. Beyond just not spending money, we can possibly identify ways to cut costs or identify the things that you know what, I actually want to increase this in my spending plan when we go forward from here. So that's just not only something to do to fill some of your time, but also an added benefit. And the one final thing we want to talk about too is the reflection afterwards. Being sure that when we are writing some of these things down, it makes it easier to be able to come back and reflect on, Okay, now what have I learned about myself. We don't just want to have done this no spend challenge and then just move on be like, oh great, I saved fifty bucks and here we go. We're just plowing into the future, but giving ourselves that space to say, all right, what challenges and barriers did I run into? What does that inform me about what my future is going to look like? What sorts of friction do I want to maintain? What are the things I felt really good about doing when I wasn't spending money? Are there even habits now that I can incorporate that I'm realizing, Oh, I actually don't want to keep spending on that one thing. Here's what I want to do instead. So it doesn't have to be long, but sit down for an hour at the end of it and just review what did I experience, What did I learn about myself?
Speaker 4: And what do I want to take with me?
Speaker 1: And you know what I want to take with me into the no spend month and beyond. And I think it truly will help you. Every single every single challenge.
Speaker 3: The bill of the week.
Speaker 5: That's right, it's time for the best minute of your entire week. Maybe a baby was born and his name is Williams. Maybe you paid off your mortgage. Maybe your car died and you're happy to not have to pay that bill anymore. Dust bills, Buffalo bills, Bill Clinton, this is the bill of the week.
Speaker 6: Hi, this is Emily. I've been listening to you guys for almost two years now, and I just really enjoy all of the lovely tiptents is always my favorite sayment because I get lots of the great eddyas. So today I called my internet company because we were thinking about switching to Starling, and I talked to my husband and we decided that if our provider would get it down to the one hundred and twenty dollars through the Starling price, that we would stay with our provider. And after some negotiation, we got it down to one hundred and twenty dollars, so doing a forty dollars a month, I let my husband know. He ended up going through our Dolls phone plan and lesson to our self full plan because we weren't using it. We weren't using all the data and all the jazz that comes with it. So we ended up setting forty dollars on our cell phone build now one months for a total of eighty dollars. And the last thing was today actually as well. I called a company I had just ordered something through for goot to use a coupon and they had shipped it and asked if they could go back and give me that discount, and they said they'd give it to more on a store credit. So I got forty dollars back to at a later date, which we already have.
Speaker 1: And so worked out perfect. Thanks bye, WHOA, that is good. That is eighty bucks a month, and then just like a forty like they that's a significant discount.
Speaker 3: That forty dollars store credit now back in your hands.
Speaker 1: So that that is something that I wouldn't do if I forgot to use a coupon, I would be too embarrassed to go to the company and say like, hey, can you give me the you know, price match price match this with the with the coupon, because I wouldn't even think about asking for store credit.
Speaker 3: Many places will if you are with if you've made your purchase. I don't know exactly every store's policy, but many stores will be like within a week of the sale price, you can go back and ask them for that sale price.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I have not bothered with it on smaller things, but on larger things that that has happened.
Speaker 4: So that's a great tip.
Speaker 3: And this is significant amount of monthly say things eighty To get eighty bucks a month back in your pocket is huge, and it's one of the things, like we were just talking about negotiating some of these bills. If you could use some of your time during a no spend challenge to save yourself eighty dollars because you just call your internet and your cell phone providers, that's huge. Imagine what you could do with an extra eighty bucks a month. Oh, Jen's doing it, trying to do.
Speaker 1: I want to do the math, like to see after Okay, if we're starting with zero dollars after ten years with a seven percent return rate, that's very conservative, and we're compounding I'm going to say quarterly, then we're going to get up to an end balance of thirteen thousand, eight hundred.
Speaker 4: Dollars over the course of ten years.
Speaker 1: So you have made well, yeah, you have made over four thousand dollars on that contribute.
Speaker 4: If you were to just invest that extra eighty bucks a month.
Speaker 1: That's with nothing else you would make, you could make in ten years over four thousand dollars. If you handed me four thousand dollars and ten years from now, yeah, I would be like, okay, yeah, thank you, thanks for that.
Speaker 3: With hardly any work, like a day of making phone calls.
Speaker 1: Right, and in thirty four, if we're thinking about like retirement here, that is an extra over thirty years, that is an additional one hundred thousand dollars. Yeah, that alone, eighty dollars a month over thirty years is an extra one hundred grand in your retirement account. Think about that.
Speaker 4: I am thinking about that.
Speaker 1: When you're thinking I don't have enough to invest, you have eighty dollars a month. Say it, you get that's an extra one hundred grand you have to spend in retirement.
Speaker 3: Well, Emily, you are really bringing us the bill of the week that we're just getting on another high horse. About Something else I love is that it's evident to me that you were driving in your car while you call it in the Bill of the week. And I just find that incredibly adorable and endearing. I love imagining our frugal friends listeners just in the car or puttsing around doing chores, just like living daily life with us, and it just feels like such a unique friendship and community we're.
Speaker 4: Just chatting in the car with you.
Speaker 1: We know we're with you in your car. We know it.
Speaker 4: We know that you're turning left right now. We know it's the algorithm.
Speaker 3: If you have a bill that you want to submit, if it is about money savings, negotiating bills and getting money back in your pocket, or getting that discount because you forgot your coupon, you're getting money backstore credit. Who or your name is Bill Frugal friendspodcast dot com slash Bill. We can't wait to listen to it now it's time for the lightning round.
Speaker 1: Okay, what are your usual exceptions during a no spend month? So groceries is always my exception. I don't keep a lot of extra food on hand, so I don't need to, Like, a pantry challenge is a non issue for me. I don't keep enough food on hand to have an issue, So I'm always yeah, buying groceries.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's my thing. Yeah, the same you know my bills groceries.
Speaker 3: I will try and pair it with a bit of a pantry challenge, but I never have enough food for that to be able to be the entire month.
Speaker 1: That's for a work through.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like what I already have on hand.
Speaker 3: I will say that for me, I will spend on things that would come out of my sinking fund. So, for instance, like in February, I will probably need to buy plane tickets for trips that are going to happen in April and May, and so I already have money set aside for that, So I will spend on that.
Speaker 1: Yes, money come, Yeah, anything that was already planned to come out of the sinking fund. I think that's a good use. That's a good exception.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So that's how long goes. Thank you all for listening.
Speaker 3: We really do hope that you are able to join us in this no spend challenge.
Speaker 6: Again.
Speaker 3: We're talking about it in the friend letter so Frugal friendspodcast dot com if you don't receive that friend letter already, and we'll also be posting a bit on Instagram. I don't think we're gonna go as crazy as Jen did last year, although she did post every day of January last year. So if you want to go all the way back in our Instagram account for some of that motive, feel free, but still following us now will be helpful because we'll be posting little tidbits about it. So following us on Free Will Friends Podcasts on Instagram. We love to connect with you all there outside of this show, and we're just so grateful for all of you that are here listening to this podcast, and we love reading your kind reviews.
Speaker 4: Is this one about?
Speaker 3: This? Is?
Speaker 1: So we are Yes, we are today making a change. Instead of reading podcast in our reviews, we are going to read your kind reviews from our book. And so there's over one hundred and twenty of them on Amazon alone.
Speaker 3: As of right now. By the time this episode comes out, Yeah, hopefully there's more.
Speaker 1: So yeah, we will have no shortage, we hope. And yeah, we're going to just read those.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, if you've got the book and you haven't reviewed us yet, please do. This one is an example. It comes from Amber C five stars. I am a big consumer of financial podcasts, but have yet to read into the subject matter. This book, however, got my attention from the beginning. I've listened to lots of podcasts, and Fruqual Friends is my favorite because of their simple and applicable advice. There's no fancy math equations involved or strict and soul draining practices. It's very simple and rooted in values based spending. I appreciate this book, especially as a newly single mom. The fact that everything revolves around values based spending is a simple and powerful tool for me to spend my money in a meaningful way. I love this book and plan on reading it over and over again. Thanks Jen and Jill amber C.
Speaker 1: How beautiful. Thank you amber.
Speaker 3: You know that's something that I've been hearing from people recently who now do have their hands on the book, is they're saying, this is something where I'm going to come back to specific chapters, like I'm earmarking this because I know I'm going to revisit this when I get to this season of life.
Speaker 4: And I didn't totally think that through when writing it.
Speaker 3: I did kind of think you can read it from front to back in a week, in a month and kind of capture some of the big concepts and begin applying them. But I think through the lens of other people, it's been interesting to have that kind of reflected back that they're identifying there are aspects here that are kind of like stand alone pieces and advice that I'm going to want to revisit.
Speaker 4: This and come back to it. And that's really cool.
Speaker 3: I've had a handful of books like that throughout my life where I'm like, this is a guide that it's not just like I appreciated the concepts and now I'm moving on, but that there are pieces here that it's going to be good to revisit and.
Speaker 4: That's so fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely, So thank you so much for listening and for reading the book. If you want to check out the book, head to buy What you loovebook dot com and you can get it from your favorite retailer we obviously prefer bookshop, and then leave a review on Amazon or Goodreads and you could hear it on the show.
Speaker 4: Thanks so much, everyone, see you next time.
Speaker 1: Bye. Frugal Friends is produced by Eric Sirianni.
Speaker 4: So this upcoming weekend is our party.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm so excited. I did my nails for it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we again, we record a month in advance, so the party is happening mid January at my house.
Speaker 1: Two weeks in advance. For this one, we're a little late.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, right, that's okay, all right, that's fine. But the party isn't happening during the no Spun challenge, just in case.
Speaker 4: You were wondering. But yeah, well, we're gonna we gonna do it.
Speaker 3: We're gonna go to Costco to get some snacks.
Speaker 1: We're gonna eat snacks at Costco.
Speaker 4: You're from publics.
Speaker 1: You're gonna make a balloon art garland arch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe not a full arch, but mm hmm. I did get some balloons that are the color of the book. Yay, and I'm gonna blow them up with whatever pump we hopefully have in the garage. Yeah, so we're gonna have like a photo wall. Eric had a good idea to have everybody like not just take pictures, but also be able to have people record themselves. We did do this at one of our parties years ago, and actually we never watched them. That would be really fun to look back on. Yeah, we had people talk about like their frugal winds and frugal fails.
Speaker 4: I think for.
Speaker 3: This party we should have people say what they love to buy, things that they love to.
Speaker 4: Spend money on.
Speaker 3: Oh, and then we can have that they won't spend a compilation that we can post to Instagram.
Speaker 1: Would be fun. Yeah, we have to pick out our cake flavor because now we're just gonna go.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And in bigger news, we got to figure out what kind of cake.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's great, that's great. But the cake. Yeah, I think I'm going to take the book to publics and say, like, this is the inspiration.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, can you do?
Speaker 3: We talked about getting a printed picture of the book on the top of the cake, but we realize that not many bakeries do that in house. You have to order that online, and we were too late.
Speaker 1: We had the idea too late.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's okay, though, I will save us money.
Speaker 3: It's almost better to have that parameter, Yeah, I guess, and not spend thirty dollars on that.
Speaker 1: It's fine. It's sad, but it's fine. Maybe we'll figure out another reason to do it one day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it'll be fine. Nobody's just said.
Speaker 1: Nobody's so sad.
Speaker 4: It'll be fun. I'm gonna take pictures, gonna eat good food, so okay, and then and then we're gonna post it on Instagram.
Speaker 1: Yay.
Speaker 4: Thanks everyone for celebrating with us.
Speaker 3: If you haven't got the book yet, wherever you get books by We Love Without Coming Broke Babe,