Speaker 1: Welcome everyone to this edition of Amy and TJ.
Speaker 2: This is actually part two of our fascinating conversation with the dog Whisperer, Caesar Milan, And what struck us the most is you don't have to be a dog owner to actually glean so much information from this man, because he's talking about being a good human and that's how you end up having a good dog. Hadn't really thought about it in those terms before.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all you folks out there and think you got bad dogs, No, those dogs are bad owners. That's you. And that's how he explains it. But we never imagine that a conversation with him, the great famous dog whisper, would turn into a philosophical conversation therapy for a lot of us as well. And of course I know you wondering how many dogs does this guy have? Yeah, we got into that as well. So here now part two of our conversation with the man himself, Caesar Milan. Let us know how many dogs do you have? Are you training or you? How many are on the.
Speaker 4: Rain right now? I only have ten, only have ten, but I have Lamas, I'll Pacas and EMUs and I have all the I have seventeen different species. They require also to walk, yes, So that's why I slowed down on the dog amount so I can have other species because I like to help people to also achieve for a dog not to have prey drive. So a lot of dogs have prey drive, right, So that's why I bring the farm animals so people learn. Yes, So what happens when a person has an incident or an accident with a squirrel and the dog you know, catches the squirrel that get scared, But they have never had that experience with a lama. So I bring them around the lama so have a new experience and so they can see that they can do it. You see it, because once the person achieved the wrong thing, it's really hard to remove that. They can believe and that's not going to happen, you see it. So I bring a new species that you never had a problem with, You never had a trauma with it, so it's not in your mind because you only become afraid of what you saw. But what you didn't see is a possibility, you see it. So that's why I need to bring different because my goal is to rehablet the humans do right. So at one point I have to become a human whisper.
Speaker 3: It sounds like it. Now we've talked a lot on this podcast hell and even our personal lives and dealing with a lot of I mean therapy and trauma and people trying to live better and reading. Ekhar totallyan you in talking to you now, and look, I'm familiar with you over the years. You sound like one of those philosophers who is yeah, we're talking about dogs, but you are. You sound to me like you're finding humans a path forward and being more connected to Earth the moment, the environment, what is in front of you is was that I know you need to train the humans to get the dog trained. Yeah, but you sound like more in my opinion, you get what I'm saying along those lines.
Speaker 1: Of a spiritual philosopher.
Speaker 4: Yes, but the dog makes it tangible. See, Ekar totally can make it tangible. Right because Kytolia is going to tell you things. They are gonna go to your mind. I'm going to tell you things that you can practice right away, and you can see that that your silence is your spirit. So you're better than that car is no, No, it's a good friend of mine. Yeah, because we all go after the better of the human.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: That's what the new show is called, Better Human, Better Planet or better human, Better dog, you know. But it's definitely my contribution, you know, from all the guys deep At Obrien and Wayne Dyer and er Car Cooley and you know, and Tony Robbins, all of those, they want the human to become the best energy, the best philosophy, the best action. But where are you going to practice, right, So then the dog, because a dog is very forgiving. You can practice over and over and over before you go into the human. The human doesn't forgive as much. So you can make us millions of mistakes with the dog. But the day they do it right, boom. They live in the moment, so they change and they say, oh I finally change. See with a human, they give you two three chances. And that's it. Is that he says he's like a dog.
Speaker 3: He makes me want to get a dog. Yeah, because to his point, you can practice all these things the tools he's given you. You can see the results different from a cart that is I've never thought about it. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And then for guys or ladies who are going to become parents anytime, make sure that you practice with a dog, you said, because pet parent. It requires the same energy and same actions. The only thing that changes is the philosophy, because one is a human the other one is a dog. But a kid or a dog needs patient's calmness, confidence, love, joy to be raised a kid or a dog. A dog needs exercise, di benefection.
Speaker 1: It's like a starter child.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well you can make mistakes and and and you can always fix it. With a child, you make me mistake that you're traumatized the.
Speaker 1: Therapy, you gotta spend money later.
Speaker 4: You spend money in the beginning, and then with a dog, it's just okay, I'm going to get to see myself.
Speaker 2: Maybe you get a second chance after you've already raised your children and made all the mistakes, and then you can get the dog.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: Can you teach an old dog nu tricks?
Speaker 3: I have? Yeah?
Speaker 4: It must the dogs not humans.
Speaker 2: Is it that much harder once they've already had established patterns?
Speaker 4: Are repetitions right? It's three sixty five repetitions of the wrong thing. So it just takes a little bit more months, but not years. I mean the longest case, I it took me three months and the dog was already six years being aggressive, but aggressive like already being successful biting things.
Speaker 1: Have you been bit by a dog?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: I figured the answer had to be yes. And you have you ever had a fear of dogs? If you're dealing with an especially aggressive dog, how do you handle that?
Speaker 1: Mentally breathing.
Speaker 4: And then believing? So I believe that I can change through my breath and my knowledge. See the love and the joy is after. I can only celebrate once I achieved the com surrender because that dog in a fight mode, right, So how you remove chaos? You believe you breathe, you do it. You believe you breathe, you do it, and then thought you get it.
Speaker 1: That's actually reminding me.
Speaker 2: So I am a dog owner, but he's this cute, little fluffy multipoo who doesn't look like he would harm a fly, and he never has. However, I'm also a runner, and I have experienced multiple times very frightening experiences where a dog is off the leash or got out of the fence, or even worse to me, has been in a foreign country where they could be rabid, they're not well taken care of, they're aggressive, and I have had absolute fear just ripple through me. And I never know what to do. I've solely backed away, but I've how do you how do you give yourself power or be empowered in that moment to find a way to connect with that dog or not have that dog attack you.
Speaker 4: Well, you visualize before you actually go in that situation, right, and then you tell your brain, brain, if this happens to me, this is how I want to react. And then you start practicing on the mirror, right, And so you start preparing because you have because remember, the mind believes it's real even though it's not real. Right, So you can start practicing this and Ericause says, so you already saw it. But then you're telling your mind this is how I want to practice. This is how I want to behave next time. So you're running, you're running, the dog is barking.
Speaker 1: You stop, You breathe, your calm.
Speaker 4: Then you make the energy bigger because as you're moving your prey.
Speaker 1: Right, I know that's how I feel.
Speaker 4: Look at the cats when they protect themselves from a dog, they stop.
Speaker 3: Sease. I love you. I don't know if I can be on board with this one.
Speaker 5: Because I've been running on smiling. You know, we have to figure out where we don't know this path, and we get up to this neighborhood and you know, there's some cars on blocks and some construction going on.
Speaker 3: All of a sudden, I hear a dog. That dog's barking, and that dog takes off after me, right, and I'm already mid run. I promise you I've done this on more than one occasion. Try to outrun that dog. I never never crossed my mind. And I'm not going in the mirror today season to practice well standing to the idea of this whatever dog screaming coming after you full speed, I'm going to stop.
Speaker 4: Remember you're passing their home. Yeah, because you're passing by their home, not because they're doing that they want to bite you. They just want to take you away from their territory. So barking and chasing you away from the territory. So for them for you to stop, they're not expecting that reaction.
Speaker 3: They want me to get the hell out of there, and I'm wanting to get out of there, and.
Speaker 4: You will once the dog turns back and said.
Speaker 3: Oh you're too strong, okay, all.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, I know, I know.
Speaker 2: Actually I have actually on runs said to myself mentally, I am I'm sending you love. I know this sounds really fun, but I've just I've tried to like put an energy.
Speaker 1: Of love to do to the dog.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well they haven't sort of chased me. They're barking at me, and they could start chasing me. So I actually stop running and I walk slowly and I send them love in my head.
Speaker 1: I don't I haven't been bitten yet.
Speaker 4: Knock on works and you will never get bitten. You got to create that, okay, you have to. You have to send the message of you know, to to to universe, to God and tell how you want to be protected, direction protection love. So you can't just send love, you have to send direction protection energy. That's your calm confidence source. Right, that's the one that's the one that creates the leadership. That's the one that moved things.
Speaker 3: What does it say about why does a dog bite in the first place? We usally all they're misbehaving or something, But why is the dog bite?
Speaker 4: But when it bites naturally, like when a mom bites their children, is to correct them because they broke a rule bond limitation. So by it I mean they don't have hands, right, so they do that. It's just to let them know, hey, you broke a rule, boundary limitations. That's a normal bite, right, that's not aggressive bite, that's a discipline bite.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: But when the dog is you know, like and your if you're passing by their territory and you don't stop and they go after your ankles, it's because you're passing by their territory, right, or the dog. You allow the dog to overprotect food and then you come close back bites. That's because you let him become too dominant.
Speaker 1: Goodness, so he bites the handy feets, which is which is wild.
Speaker 2: You've got your halo hoodie on there, tell us about So it is a fascinating thing when.
Speaker 1: You do travel with your dog.
Speaker 2: And my dog definitely has to be on a leash because he will take off and it has been scary a couple of times.
Speaker 3: If you haven't heard, Brody is a problem.
Speaker 1: He's a sweet. He's a sweet.
Speaker 4: It's not the dog.
Speaker 1: It's not the dog, that's true.
Speaker 2: But you know, had him on a hike and yeah, he will take off and I know he has to say on a leash, But you actually have a remedy for folks, especially if they're needing to have some sort of boundary that maybe they haven't created or the we don't have that connection where he can walk next to me without a leash.
Speaker 1: Halo is the answer, at least for.
Speaker 4: So AI can help. I mean a smart technology. The first smart technology we learn to use as a leash. That's what you know, A long long time ago, that's how we tought the dog to stick clothes. Right, It's a long line. That's how people used to teach a dog boundaries. So people will bring a long line to the beach and the dog will learn that only forty feet twenty feet. So that's kind of uncomfortable, right, but that's practically what it is, you know, it is to tell the dog through technology. Eight. The human forget to remind you the rules by limitations, but the collar is going to is programmed to remind the dog A don't touch the turkey, A don't bark at the window, A you're going too far. Eight is the limits of playing with that dogs overcome back. That's what you want. You want that that under that reminder to the dog, and then that's how the dog stays organized. And that's how you fear goes away. And then you experience freedom. That's what everybody wants, right, nobody gets a dog so we can be isolated, right, But they end up being isolated because the energy is wrong, the philosophy is wrong, and the actions are wrong. That's how a dog ends up being on a leash and he can't really you know, be a leash where the where the person feels that my dog is not gonna go away? And have you ever been at the beach where where his dog dogs in it?
Speaker 1: Yep?
Speaker 4: You see when people are at the beach with the dogs, those those humans are allow more relaxed versus the people who are in dog parks.
Speaker 1: That's so true.
Speaker 4: See, that's freedom and that's what I want people to get. That energy that you see people when people go to the beach with their dogs, because that's mother nature. That's a whole. That's a beautiful combination of mother nature, your dog and yourself. What do you go to the beach for? For peace? How do you want to feel safe? What do you feel after that? Love?
Speaker 3: Safe?
Speaker 4: Peace?
Speaker 2: Love?
Speaker 4: Why because you're practicing trash respect?
Speaker 3: Love?
Speaker 4: Why because your dog nows rules by the limitations? Why because you have connection, communication, relationship, That's what happens naturally when you have freedom and no fear.
Speaker 2: You mentioned that it didn't matter. I was talking about the breed, and I was doing research and all that. But are there better breeds for certain families who have young kids or for someone who is older.
Speaker 1: Do you suggest different types of breeds?
Speaker 2: Or can any dog be good for anyone given the right training and energy.
Speaker 4: I suggest middle of the pack dogs, and then you just choose what breed you like. You know, you like with no hair, long hair, short legs, you know what I mean, Accents like this, you know, But how do.
Speaker 3: You identify middle of the pack.
Speaker 4: I mean they're literally worn like this.
Speaker 1: He's doing a little bit literally like that, lucky.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So the back of the pack a little bit more shy, the front of the pack the po So if you watch a litter of puppies, there's going to be only one that is to pick up the letter, and it's going to be the biggest one. Is going to take over when mom is breastfeeding. He's going to move the brothers and sisters, he said, And it's only one. Then the rest when you come and meet and you're going to see these guys, and then you're going to see the back of the pack, like who are you? And you can see.
Speaker 3: Well, but even to a lay person, we'd be able to walk in and notice that.
Speaker 4: Now you're looking for it, Now we're looking for you said, you need to know what you're looking for, right, which is something there we learn later in life. So what do I want? You know what you need to do. You need to make money, but you know where, how, with who? Right? So you learn that along the way. But once you know, once you have very clear what life is all about, that's all you put in your head and that's what you look for.
Speaker 3: On the family. Since she was talking about and how I think we've known folks recently even who have a baby and they get rid of the dog because there's an incident or something like that. Is it easier? Is it an easier transition? It doesn't matter to have the kid first and then introduce a dog into the home, or to already have a dog and then introduce introduce a child into the home, whatever you want. Either way it can work.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, Because so if you raise a dog first, the dog has rules, by limitations, trust, respect, love, right, So then you bring a baby human into the picture, and the way you introduce a baby human into the picture is the dog is quiet and calm at a distance social distance. Okay, it's almost like the way people greeted the Queen of England. Right, social distance. You bow, then she tells you to come in as a ritual, So think about a baby like a ritual when people meet the Queen of England. Social distance, come down, where your turn? Come in?
Speaker 1: But people get emotion.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because look at your brother. Oh look, just gonna love him. Right.
Speaker 2: But I get nervous when I see people who don't know what they're doing, who haven't read your philosophy or know about it, and they'll sit there and put the dog right next to the baby's face. I get nervous as a parent and a dog owner when I see that.
Speaker 1: Do you as well?
Speaker 2: I mean, are there some rules that you should actually or at least some research you should do before you put a dog in a baby's face?
Speaker 4: Yes? Of course you have to be because you're doing the introduction right. So you're the link between the baby human and the dog. You're the link. You're the one that's gonna say, I want safe peace, love between both both of you. I want trustrespect with both of you. But the baby is going to be the pack leader of you. Why because you are giving the energy to the baby. This is your genetic pack. He's part of the family, it is not. But he's also a stinct one, you get it. So it's very important for a dog to understand that you want absolute come surrender to that baby, right because if you will have a gorilla, what would you want the gorilla to feel about your come surrender? Indeed, exactly. So my point is is in the animal world, if you ask for come surrender, they give you loyalty. But if you want their love and the excitement, they will give you the accident wow you because you're talking to the spirit and the instinct, not the specie. You want a cat, a mouse, a squirrel to become surrendered to your children, and that's how your child is going to be safe because they're giving you their their most respectful side of them, which is there comes surrender.
Speaker 1: But do dogs get jealous?
Speaker 4: No, they're like to share. They live in a group. They live in a group. See, they're very they're very family oriented, community oriented. We are the one that creates all this new stuff. Oh it's being jealous. Is available right, it's available, is available right. It's like, why would a dog not share home family food? Why would not? That's the way to keep the whole packup life. That's how they do it right. So the whole jealousy thing is because a lot of times people say, oh, it's because he loves me so much. He said, that's why. No, it's because you let them. I raised my kids. I have two kids who are now thirty and twenty seven. But when my kids were little, it was sixty.
Speaker 1: Five dogs, sixty five sixty.
Speaker 4: Five whites, people's German shepherds in the hood. I was in South Central and my kids were born and raised around.
Speaker 3: This pack of dogs. And they're still my kids, still alive.
Speaker 4: They have no urs. Yes, of course they have no choice. Man.
Speaker 3: This is the last one question I have, and this has to do everybody deals with this if you have a dog or not, especially here in New York. What is the proper way to behave when you encounter someone dog on the street. First, for someone who is with a dog and someone without a lot of people jump in they want to pite somebody's dog. So tell what what's the right interaction there? And also, I don't understand dog owners stopping on the corner to let the dogs do whatever they do together. Apparently you're supposed to. But yeah, all that thing. What's the correct way to interact on the street with a foreign dog?
Speaker 4: Well, no touch, no talking right contact right, that's no touch, no talk, right contact, Let the let the dog be calm, surrender and that he comes to you. He wants to smell you. He doesn't want to see you, he doesn't want to hear. He wants to smell you. And then you just stay calm, confident. And then there's that human smells this way, but he wants the front position. So your energy is what tells them what position you want. Your scynth is your name. But if you go how you doing?
Speaker 3: Look at me?
Speaker 1: That's what everybody does.
Speaker 4: It's like, oh, I wanted to smell. The dog can smell you from me to a mile away like a you know what I mean? Like she doesn't come to the dogs, The dog goes all the way to next town. See, the scent is what makes a dog a dog is his nose. A dog can be blind and deft, and he still finds home. He will bring you back home even though he's blind. It's the nose of a dog and the trust of his instincts that keeps him alive.
Speaker 3: And when when Brody interacts or they come upon another dog on the street, what's the right thing to do.
Speaker 4: Well, first of all, not excited dogs, because they can create a fight maybe or an attack, especially a big dog and a little dog, right or the least can take so, you see, and so as best they both of the dogs going to come surrender. Think about the dogs they live with. People with disabilities, you know, people who are blind. They keep a dog colm surrender, right, and then when they meet the boss comes and then they let him go. So it's from zero to ten, not from ten to one hundred.
Speaker 1: It's about the calmness ahead of time and throughout the.
Speaker 4: Walk everything in life, you know, as we grow, Oh it's about silence. Oh it's about commonists. Oh, it's about surrendering. And then it's the happy, go lucky. And then it's the calm confident. Right now, we don't want to be in a camp confident all the time. You know. The way you learn is by silence, come surrender. The way you celebrate is happy, go lucky. The way you make things happen is calm, confident, But then you got to turn that thing off.
Speaker 2: Caesar, I had no idea that we were going to learn about human philosophy as we were talking about dogs. That was amazing, SERI, that was phenomenal. I learned so much things I probably should have learned a decade ago. But I am going to be applying this into my personal life.
Speaker 3: I was reading Gaby Bernstein and we had her in studio not long ago. I need to talk to the dog to get my life.
Speaker 4: Simple. I make it simple. You know, English is not my first language, so I have to life simplify words, natural, simple, profound, trouserspect, love, ruled by limitation. Everything has a formula, rituals and symbols.
Speaker 2: Well, congratulations on all your continued success. Just and it's it's no surprise after having this conversation. Why you are who you are?
Speaker 1: The dog whisperer.
Speaker 4: Yeah,