Speaker 1: Following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Absolutely?
Speaker 3: Ready for a break?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so much for that.
Speaker 1: It's time for the Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com. We were on a Break with Nick Eatman, Brian brought us and bar Garcia and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 5: It is Wednesday, April twenty sixth, twenty twenty three, Season nineteen, episode number four. Welcome to the latest edition of The Break. We're living in a s WBC mortgage studios at the Star and this week this week is the NFL Draft in NFL Draft twenty twenty three, happening in Kansas City, Missouri.
Speaker 2: He's in Kansasity, Missouri, Kansas, Kansas, I know, but which one is miss This one's in Missouri, all right? Got it?
Speaker 5: So Kansas City, Missouri. We'll actually have some folks out there covering the draft there. We'll have a whole team of people here at the Star covering the draft. Brian will be on the Draft show that will be happening basically wall to wall, as you guys have come to expect from us, Uh, starting on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, and we got it all covered.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 5: There's no better place to get your draft coverage, whether you're a Cowboys fan or not than Dallas Cowboys dot Kyle Cowboys Mobile.
Speaker 7: There's gonna be enough people in here to be wall at the wall.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got a crew this year. We got a crew this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Zach is uh from one, O five three.
Speaker 8: Zach's sitting out night one, So Sean's host and we got our teammates here with Dallas Cowboys dot Com and then Sewn Leaves and then Zach comes in.
Speaker 3: So two and three. Yeah, we got a lot of folks.
Speaker 8: But you know what we've learned over the years that we never stopped talking. You know the thing about it is it is a we don't go to breaks on Dallas Cowboys dot Com. It's solid.
Speaker 3: So if we.
Speaker 8: Had, if we had, you got to literally they don't.
Speaker 3: They don't.
Speaker 2: What they do they.
Speaker 5: Take, they take breaks because we SI won't castle with our sister sister station one, five dot three the fan and what we do is in the commercial breaks. And this was, by the way, this was Scott Purcell's idea years ago. Scott was like, we don't have to go to break on dot com.
Speaker 2: Why don't we just keep going straight through it?
Speaker 3: His mouth shut.
Speaker 5: Literally we get to break and it's like okay, and then we're going to break, and then it's like, hey, we're back on Dallas Cowboys dot com. Let's talk some some draft. And so they just keep going straight.
Speaker 9: You don't eat and you hold your pee.
Speaker 2: Yes, we bring them food. I know, I know, and they decided whether they some of them some of them don't.
Speaker 8: They eat during the draft upstairs, like you, I never wanted to leave the room.
Speaker 3: I always felt like I was missing something.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 8: And the catfish, Yeah, the catfish is the absolute best.
Speaker 3: Old Eddie Dean would I missing? He is really good.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Over when we were over we first started all this this journey, when Derek and everybody came up with the idea we were k Hill by the way, ed K Hill, God bless you, ed K Hill.
Speaker 3: Good luck in Atlanta with your draft as well.
Speaker 8: But ed uh, Yeah, it was like Eddie Dean used to show up and literally you would like.
Speaker 2: By the way, restaurant guys, it's not a guy, it's as.
Speaker 8: You could smell it, like you'd be working and you could smell the brisket and the ribs, and so you'd just be sitting there and you're like, and then you knew at the end of the draft and they were they were changing out meals like they had a they had a breakfast, they had a lunch, they had a dinner, they had a Hey, go have a snack when this thing is when you're trying to sign players. So yeah, it was man, those were those were the days.
Speaker 9: What do we have for this?
Speaker 5: We have internal like, don't get me wrong, let's not let's know, our food folks here, like the folks here in our in our cafeteria here, they do some really really Yeah, we will definitely have.
Speaker 8: Can I can tell a real quick story? Can I tell a real quick story? I'll try and make it quick. Twenty five years ago I got to run the draft in Philadelphia, and I'll never forget because we go on the clock. We're getting ready to go on the clock. And you might have heard this story. I've told it before. One oh five three, I think. And I'm sitting next to Jeff Lurry's wife, Missus Lurry. I'm sitting next to Christina Lurie. I'm sitting next to her, and it's stead silent.
Speaker 3: In our room.
Speaker 8: I mean we're sitting there and getting ready to go on the clock. Nobody's saying anything. And she leans over to me and she goes, did you try the onwood station today? And I go, yeah, missus Lorry, I sure did. I had crepes though. The crapes were excellent. Yeah, we're having a conversation, we're getting ready to go on the clock. Everybody's kind of looking at this coin and we're talking about the food that was pre draft, and in a way she kind of knew just to break the tension in the room, and she came up with she came up.
Speaker 3: She just leaned over and.
Speaker 8: Says, did you try the onwood station today? And she knew that I was going to answer, and I said, yes, man did, but I had the crapes. The crapes were excellent. I don't know where you got this chef, but he's really good. These crapes they were beautiful. They had strawberries. And she goes, she goes, I thought so too. I you know, I was looking at the omwits, but the crapes, you know, so here we are this whole big conversation during the draft. What happens when you go on the clock. You know, everybody's thinking, you're just gonna sit in there just.
Speaker 3: Like, oh gosh, we're gonna make a pick yere, you know that kind of thing. It really isn't that way.
Speaker 5: I think fans probably think that they envision what a draft war room is and they think it's very always very intense.
Speaker 2: Now there are some tense moments in draft war rooms, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: But by and large, like there is a lot of dead time when there's kind of just side conversations where there's a little gambling messing around going. I don't know if gambling happens in these days.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think.
Speaker 8: That happens, well, not betting on teams, but betting on players that maybe you would say maybe back in the day, maybe that was back.
Speaker 3: In the day.
Speaker 8: These days that that's not all we know about you and the gambling thing, And me and Rob Phillips understand.
Speaker 5: That they've shut that thing down. There is no gambling in the NFL. But but yeah, it's uh, I think it's it's it's one of those interesting things that and we've even had we have our our behind the scenes cameras and microphones. We've had a chance to listen in in war rooms and it's not always what you think. It's a lot of sometimes just kind of a little light, and then it gets really intense and in the conversations they're having where they're talking to not only like getting ready for the for the pick. And Brian, you know this as well as anybody. I was listening in one year and they were reaching out to college coach literally called a college coach yah to ask him about a player because they were thinking about drafting him and wanted to kind of get his thoughts on it. And uh, and so those kind of things happen as well. There's still some due diligence that's happening as you're going along and you're making decisions and trying to figure out how everything's going to play out.
Speaker 7: That's how you piss off your scouts. Oh yeah, call the coach, call the college coach. They've done all the work, when they've done all the work for all these months and years.
Speaker 2: And then oh, Brian would be turning red.
Speaker 7: I'm sure saying, oh, I love all six of Yell's reports that are six pages each. But you know what, I'm gonna call this coach on it.
Speaker 8: This is where this is why I'm probably not in a room anymore, because I go, what the eff are we doing right now?
Speaker 3: What are we doing?
Speaker 8: Like you know, I would, I would, I would yell, I would blurt that out.
Speaker 7: They called Barry Switzer.
Speaker 2: That was what I was talking about, accidently, Okay, to Marco Murray draft?
Speaker 7: What is for DeMarco Murray? Barry Switzer hading coach at Oklahoma in like seventeen eighteen years or whatever. But you know when Barry Switzer still tied in, plugged into the program of course and all that. But they call him, I mean, and they had running backs coaches, they had all these scouts that it covered him and scouted him. And it's like.
Speaker 8: Jerry even said it in the in the post in the post draft, like how they got to drafting DeMarco Murray.
Speaker 3: He says, Barry Switzer gave his word of approval. And I could just feel I could feel everybody that.
Speaker 8: Went through Norman that year, the national scouts, the lead scouts, personal guys, everybody just go just you know, they just have to just take this, you know, ball up their fists. Don't say any kind of a thing. But no, I mean, you know, yes, you use information. No, everybody uses information. But while you're on the clock, we got our board. You could hear my fingernails just dig into the desk as that was happening.
Speaker 2: All right, let's jump in.
Speaker 5: I wanted to start with a little talk around the pre draft press conference that happened earlier this week with Stephen Jones Jerry Jones. One of the things that struck me initially. There was a conversation and this was probably got the biggest play out of anything said during the press conference, but Jerry made the comment we may be interested in going down or maybe up, or might sit there, which is a typical comment from Jerry because he's just like, at this point, we're just giving you basically information to kind of divert from where we really want to go and what we really want to do, which is what every team does. That being said, the question for you guys is what do you think is more likely to happen this weekend? They sit and take the pick at twenty six, they move up when they move back before they take their first.
Speaker 7: Pick, I would say make the pick at twenty six. That would be what I think would happen. First, trading back would be second, and then trading up it would be third. I don't really see a scenario. I mean, I see some players there that they could they would want, but trading up seems a little tough because you've already done that. You've already traded some fifth round pick, sixth round picks this year next year to kind of improve your team with the Cooks and Gilmore's and stuff like that, So you've already kind of done it. I'm not saying you can't, but they like picks around here, and so to move up to get a guy, it could happen, but it's more likely that they just make the pick right there. And I don't see them trading back very much because you're getting out of the first round.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I don't think definitely.
Speaker 10: They wouldn't trade up because of the value, Like you know, how much do they care about about their trade value or their pick value. The only time, the only way I would see them trading back is if absolutely everybody because he gets to that point where you get to the list of guys that you have that could easily fall into second round grade. So the only way is if all their first round people have are gone at that point. I think if there is a trade option where you get more value that way and just add on pigs and pick someone on the second round, that's the only way. But right now I do see it just staying there, and I think some guys will.
Speaker 5: Fall interestingly as a point of Claire, as a point of a little more clarity there. They even said in the pre draft presser they're thinking fifteen, seventeen, eighteen, Yeah, the number of players that they have first round grades on. So the likelihood is when you get to twenty six, they're dealing with guys that are second round grades at that point.
Speaker 8: Anyway, I talked to two teams last night that were both ahead of Dallas, and they had sixteen and eighteen names first round grades. I'd heard whispers of some teams only having nine, which seems kind I've never heard nine. It generally is somewhere between fifteen and say twenty. You know, sometimes you get twenty two, twenty three, but it's very very rare that you get. I think last year Dallas had fifteen. When Jerry accidentally kind of revealed his board, you know, he showed his you know, he had fifteen names.
Speaker 3: I think they did the research on that.
Speaker 8: But yeah, you know, to me, I think that going up only will happen if somebody is desperate enough to move, and I mean, somebody calls Dallas and says, hey, listen, you interested. Say Let's say Baltimore wants to move at twenty two, and that Baltimore's just so adamant about getting out of there that they sell their pick for cheap. That's the only way I see Dallas going up. I don't see Dallas paying a premium to have to go up. I think it's going to be a team the Chargers, Baltimore, Minnesota, somebody like that that would bail and sell their pick for cheap, and then it makes sense for Dallas, like listen, on a on a short move like this, we might have to give our three, but they're they're they want to they want a four or five here. Should we got to think about this, right guys, you know, and if that's the case, that's where you dance forward. But trading back, I don't think there's I think there's going to be enough players for them there that they don't have to trade back. And Stephen Jones will ask you the question, and he he was on one O five three the other day and he said this, and they asked them question, would you trade back? And he said, who am I trading away from? Who am I trading away from? And if that question is one where he's like, no, I would rather sit in here and pick this player than I would trade back. And I think that's where that's where you have to they have to make that determination. Do we want to move away from this guy that we have at twenty six to say, go at thirty or places like that.
Speaker 3: I think that's what they'd have to weigh.
Speaker 7: And also, you know, that's selling the pick for cheap another team. It's got to be that term. We hear a lot that that blinking red light of that that guy's still up there, because there even if Minnesota or Baltimore whoever wants to sell it for cheap, there's still got to be a player that's there that you're like, I would be crushed if he's not here at this point. I mean, the Cowboys moved two spots up to get Dez Bryant, you know.
Speaker 8: And got ahead of Baltimore, got ahead of it.
Speaker 7: But you got to get ahead of a team you know, in nineteen ninety it's way back. But the teams from seventeen to twenty wanted a running back. The Cowboys were at twenty one, they knew they needed to get seventeen. They wanted to get a guy named Edmitt Smith, so they did, you know, but they knew that right then. The teams wanted them. So it's got to be a guy. It's gotta be a good deal, and it's also got to be somebody that you don't think is going to make it to you.
Speaker 8: But you're right there, you're right there if you're on the cusp, say of the eighteen names they have in the first round, say they you know that now you're no man's land, so you're maybe maybe you catch your break along the way that your guys would fall to you, but you might be on the cusp of not having that first round.
Speaker 3: The only reason do you do it would go and get a guy that you still have in the first round.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that's my question, like, are there some names of some guys that I know we've talked about Bjon Robinson because he's a guy that because of his position, people are like, there is a chance that maybe he drops to you, Is there a player that you can think of that's a first round type grade that you think there are things that could could could transpire that allows him to drop to you, that you could get to where he gets to maybe twenty twenty one to twenty two, that you would say, hey, this is worth us going up to get because he's such a good value.
Speaker 8: I kind of feel like there's a couple of spots there that, for some reason, word is starting to filter through the drafting world that Joey Porter Junior, the corner from Penn State, would be a guy. Now I've looked at this a couple of different ways. Joey Porter's the ninth best player on my board, of course, the cornerback from Penn State. He's the sixteenth best player on Dame Bruglar's board. He's the twenty third best player on Daniel Jeremias board. Okay, Daniel Jeremiah former NFL scout, you know, been in the league. So he's evaluating guys too. He's talking to people. Okay, would Joe would maybe potentially the best corner on your board gets to twenty three. Now you're talking about Wait a minute, is that worth it is it worth it to me? Another one I think you have to look at if you're looking at edges. Miles Murphy from Clemson is another one. Miles Murphy for on my board is at fourteen. On Dame Burglar's board, he's at twenty one on Daniel Jeremiah's board, He's at twenty one. Okay, is there value all of a sudden there, Okay, one of the best edges in the draft is sliding to us. You know, is it worth it to make a five move trade up to go and get a guy that potentially, like I said, could be he might be the fourteenth, maybe twelve thirteenth, fourteenth best player on their board. All of a sudden, you're making a small move. You've gone from basically twenty six to say, you know, to you know, to twenty to go grab a player that has even better value there. Jordan Addison, the wide receiver from usc going out a wide receiver here.
Speaker 3: He's a little bit of a smaller guy.
Speaker 8: He's five to eleven wins seventy three, fifteenth best player on my board, twenty fifth best player on Dame Brugler's board, fifteenth best player on Daniel Jeremiah's board. Okay, where is he somewhere in between? If you're into that wide receiver, if you feel like that he's the first first wide receiver on your board, maybe that's where you think about going. And you know, you don't want him to slide any further because people are seeing the same thing you are. They're seeing sliding players and they're thinking, how do we go and get this guy now? Yep, you know, so that's what you have to look at.
Speaker 5: All Right, Let's let's talk a little bit about that running back position, because I think that's the one that that's really interesting to a lot of people because of the position it's and because of some of the talent there. The quote that came out of the press was if there's a good running back sitting there, I can't imagine he's not going to get a lot of attention from us about what we could do, what he could do if the right guy were there, We certainly look at it.
Speaker 2: That was a quote from Stephen Jones.
Speaker 5: My question for you guys, is is Bijon the only running back in that conversation or is Jamiir Gibbs running back from Alabama also part of that conversation, as a potential first round pick.
Speaker 7: I think he's a potential first round pick, but I don't know if he's viewed as the most complete back. I think there are some concerns there with him being sort of Tony Pollard like, which is not a bad thing, but a guy that is an outside perimeter premier. I don't know if he is a you know, a guy that lives in between the tackles as much. But he's a dynamic player, There's no doubt about it. I've seen him hit two home runs in the same quarter right in front of me there at Arkansas, and he was unbelievable. So fast is just a dynamic player. But I don't I mean, I don't think he's a trade up for guy. I think he's a guy that if he's there, they would I don't know if you they would take him though, I'm not sure about that. I don't know where they stand on that. Gibs.
Speaker 10: Yeah, for the first round. The only running back that I would go for would be Robinson.
Speaker 9: That's it.
Speaker 10: I think the more you look at just history and everything, I think you can find value in other rounds at the running the running back position. So I just don't see the need to force yourself to take somebody that, yeah, could help you at the position. But you also got to remember you have Tony Poler this year. I know you have to keep thinking about the future because right now we haven't heard anything happening about his contract, if they're gonna give him a contract or extend him his stay here. But all in all, you've backed yourself up with what you got for this year. Yes, you still need to draft a running back in this draft, but I would look at like in further like maybe third round or something like that for a running back unless Robinson.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, I think I think Robinson makes a lot of sense there. I think he would number one to be the best player.
Speaker 3: On their board.
Speaker 8: And I'm one of these guys that actually worries about Philadelphia not picking him at ten, but moving up ahead of you and trying to grab him at you know, knowing that they have that thirty first, the thirty, they have the thirty, thirty, they have the thirty, and I would worry about them just Philadelphia is a team that likes to move around if they see value on the board, and so I worry.
Speaker 10: About Sorry, what happened with the since we're talking about the running back and Philly. What happened with the whole campaign of trying to get Zeke.
Speaker 5: I think I thought that was personally and this is not something that.
Speaker 9: I know and can by other players.
Speaker 5: My understanding was that that was more of a you know, Zeke's people kind of putting agent traitor as these are the three teams that Zeke has an interest in, not so much Philly saying we want Zeke, right, that was my impression.
Speaker 10: Well, I was I campaign am in by, like you saw multiple players from the Philadelphia Eagles tweeting out we won Zeke or something like that. But anyways, I'm just wondering how that plays into what they're doing in the draft as far as the running back position.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think Philly. I think Philly.
Speaker 8: I don't think they would take Robertson at ten, but I think they would consider him at thirty. The value there's too much and people are you know, I think Dallas is doing a good job of not saying anything about b Jon Robertson. They haven't thirty visited him. They if you listen to his discussions of who's visit with I think the two teams were Philadelphia was one of them, and kind of can't remember there was two teams, but it was it.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 8: It's it's been a very small group because I think he's one of these players that know that everybody recognizes as a top five player. They just don't know where to take him in.
Speaker 5: The draft and they don't want to give their hand away exactly. They would take it exactly if he got to a certain point.
Speaker 8: If I'm Dallas, I would be concerned if I was sitting on waiting for him and see, but you're to your point. Spears from two Lane, Bigsby from Auburn, Rosehawn Johnson from Texas, those are all third round guys that if you drafted they very well in twenty twenty four, could be your starting running back. That's that's just that this draft is really it's unusual for the number of short wide receivers, depth to tight end running back depth throughout and then your cornerback. So there's spots. But yeah, it's to your point, it's really b Jeon Robinson or Bust And what I would do.
Speaker 2: If I was the Cowboys, all right, we're gonna take our final break.
Speaker 5: I saw our first break here we're gonna come back. We got a few more things I want to hit from.
Speaker 8: The I shouldn't say bust. I should say if I don't get him, I can go get others.
Speaker 5: I shouldn't say that's the only running back you'd be looking at the first round, first round? Right, all right, we'll talk about a little more draft we come back, das Cowboys dot com?
Speaker 7: Are you?
Speaker 11: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 12: Five G requires compatable plan and device five G may not be available in your area. S he Att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 13: Hey, honey, can we talk?
Speaker 2: Of course? What's up?
Speaker 8: Well?
Speaker 13: I just thought you should know I've been curious about the new Doctor Pepper strawberries and cream.
Speaker 3: Have you vote this way a long time?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 13: I just think I'd really like the taste of doctor Pepper swirled with layers of flavor.
Speaker 8: If you feel that way, I think you should try it, Babe.
Speaker 13: It's amazing. I mean, you're amazing too.
Speaker 5: Nude Doctor Pepper strawberries and cream the new flavor you deserve.
Speaker 14: Once he used the Cowboys locker rooms favorite products. Check out the official min's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black. Right now, you can get the Jack Black Playmaker, a curated collection of Cowboys locker room favorites, for just ten bucks with free shipping.
Speaker 3: The Playmaker includes four.
Speaker 14: Jack Black skincare favorites plus a full sized intense therapy lipbomb. Go to get Jack Black dot com, slash Cowboys and use the code word Cowboys the Jack Black Playmaker tim bucks, free shipping.
Speaker 4: No one knows where this market will go. Right now, it feels like a wild ride. Well one, thanks for certain there's a way through it, and the experience and guidance of a Maryland advisor can help you get there. Because where there's a bull, there's a way find an Advisor in North Texas at mL dot com, Slash Books.
Speaker 2: Meryl, a Bank of America company.
Speaker 4: What would you like the power to do?
Speaker 6: Investing involves risk, Marylynch, Pier, Spender and Smith Incorporated, Register Broker Dealer, Registered Investment Advisor Number SIPC, a Holy Own subsidiary of Bank of America Corp.
Speaker 3: Back to the.
Speaker 7: Break The tenth Anniel Reliance Home Run Derby is back at Writers Field in Frisco on May third at six pm. Come see your favorite Dallas Cowboy players swing for the fences to raise money for the Salvation Army Admission in parking Our free us at Dallascowboys dot com, Slash Reliant HRD to learn more. See you there, HRD. That's Home Run.
Speaker 2: Derby Welcome back.
Speaker 5: It is the second segment of the Break Life from SWBC Mortgage Studios at the Star, the second presented to you by blockchain dot Com. Let us talk about some specific names for the draft this weekend, particularly on Thursday night. I want to go around the tape. I want each of you guys. I told you to prepare for three. We don't have enough time for that, so we're going to have each of you give us one player that is a realistic shot of being there at twenty six that you think would be best option, best case scenario for Dallas to select at that position.
Speaker 2: Let's start first with you, miss Treatman.
Speaker 7: I'm going last, all right, well first, going last, because they let them make the picks the night, I got like a one hundred names. All right, let's go.
Speaker 2: Let's go, Brian, Brian, give me yours.
Speaker 8: I think Drew Sanders is a legitimate option there for the Dallas Cowboys, a linebacker from Arkansas. Depending on which way the draft, I kind.
Speaker 3: Of feel like the draft is going to.
Speaker 8: The draft can fall a couple of different ways for the Cowboys. I think they've left themselves open to take.
Speaker 3: A lot of different players.
Speaker 8: Nick's talking about maybe nine names there. Could there, Reguard be there, could a wide receiver be there. The tight end is a very popular thing, depending on which tight end it is.
Speaker 3: Uh, you know, I.
Speaker 8: Kind of feel like the one player that I know will be there when they pick at at twenty six is Drew Sanders. That that linebacker there from Arkansas.
Speaker 7: Okay, since Derek has to take a call, I'm going to kind of change it up a little bit go back to what you said. You said originally we said three names.
Speaker 3: Yeah I have three. I had three.
Speaker 7: Let's go for thread.
Speaker 3: Yeah I had three. I have three names.
Speaker 8: But he knew how much how long I talk, so he's smart about that. I think I think Dalton Kinkaid the tight end from Utah would be a considerate, absolute consideration there.
Speaker 3: I know a lot of people.
Speaker 7: Have VESD tight in on your board.
Speaker 8: No, actually, the other tight end is the best tight end on my board. But King Kate Mayor's number. Mayor's number eighteen on my on my stack of two hundred and ten, kin Kid is twenty two. So but I think if they if they had a choice, one of these tight ends is going to be gone kin Kid or mar Both tight ends could be gone too.
Speaker 3: But I think if they.
Speaker 8: Had a choice, they probably would take King Kate. That's just my that's my guest there.
Speaker 7: All right, we'll stop at two there, because then you'll go for two for you.
Speaker 9: It's amazing.
Speaker 7: I'm just changing. I'm completely changed also. But I think you were saying tight end maybe one of yours.
Speaker 10: So well, you know, I haven't been necessarily a fan for drafting a tight end. This year, just because I feel there are other bigger needs.
Speaker 9: But the more I.
Speaker 10: Look at the draft and and everything, you know, whatever kind of offensive weapon you can bring in this year, you need it wherever that is, whether that's running back, whether that's a wide receiver that somehow, if there is a trade happening now you fall into the second round, you decide to draft a wide receiver there. I think that can be very much necessary and impactful in the offense as well as a guy that's a titand you mentioned Mayor. And one thing I really like about him is his blocking abilities. Uh And I know, and we've talked about it. People comparing him to Jason Witten. Some people compare him to him. But one of my guys, like my main guy right now, I think would be Steve Avila. Steve I don't know if he's if he if he's Hispanic or not. I know he was his local from Arlington. I like his name, not the short version.
Speaker 8: We'll see if he speaks of the two people that that know exactly how.
Speaker 9: But can he play. I like his ability.
Speaker 10: He has the you know, he's played on in all three positions on the on the O line. He has experience in all three tackle, center, and guard, and I think he can be a guy that although eventually you want to find the specific position and keep him at a certain spot, he can be someone that the type of player that is all I needs right now, that has that type of flexibility to move around and be put what he needs to put. I think he has a lot of power and strength, and one of the things I was reading about him that I really like is his captain ability, his leadership, the type of player, the type of mentality that you need, especially in the O line, and that type of uh devotion and concentration. So he he would be my top guy right now as far as who.
Speaker 9: I think might be available there.
Speaker 10: But like I said before, if Robinson is home somehow there, definitely take him.
Speaker 9: But if not, I I'm looking more for alignment.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think you nail the description of the player.
Speaker 3: I think he got him absolutely right.
Speaker 7: How do you say his name? I think what?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 10: What?
Speaker 7: Both? Well, both of those guys there are are plug and play guys. You know, you take a tight end in the first round he's starting, and you take a guard or center. He's a guard at this point he starts, and so The thing about Drew Sanders that I like is is not comparing him to Micah Parsons, but the fact that he is an outside linebacker but he can rush from the outside, play different things. There's a lot and and if you just watch him, because he walked in through the training table on the thirty visits or he might have been a Dallas date guy because he was local, but he was he was there and I thought it was Layton vander Rush. I mean literally thought that was who it was. I mean that the big tall, you know, same color hair. I mean, it is just everything. And so if he can be like a Layton vander Rush, you know, especially as a rookie, stay healthy, I think he's even moredynamic than that. Who's your third guy? We switched it to back to three?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I actually, actually I.
Speaker 2: Think I give up my right to say anything about it.
Speaker 7: I threw we're talking about kickers and players.
Speaker 3: Okay, I think I threw a big curve.
Speaker 8: I threw a big curveball in there at three and I went with Emmanuel Forbes, the cornerback from Mississippi State.
Speaker 7: He got six pick sixes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so takes it to the house.
Speaker 8: Maybe maybe this is one of these guys that we haven't talked a whole heck of a lot about.
Speaker 3: The thing we've talked about is he is a slight built guy.
Speaker 8: He's a combined He weighed in at one hundred and sixty six pounds. If you're one of these people that believe in numbers and metrics and things like that, there's only been two corners that have been drafted that have weighed less and played and had success. So I think that to me with Forbes, the tape is just that good, you know where if you got to the point where it's like we're going to take a defensive player, and I know people are talking about McDonald and others, the edges and things like that, if you're looking at a corner that could just lock some people down and their situation at corner might not be as ideal looking forward, I think that Emmanuel Forbes would be a guy that I would keep an eye on as that guy.
Speaker 5: So I have this question I heard I've heard other people say a similar thing about him that the tape says he can play regardless of his size for the Cowboys where they have had some challenges on the perimeter being able to stop the run and.
Speaker 3: He's not afraid.
Speaker 5: That's my question is because you got some slight built guys like Jordan Lewis.
Speaker 2: To me, he's little.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Jordan's geared like he's gonna come up and he's gonna he's gonna make the tackle. My question is is he a good guy and when it comes to his run support.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I don't have a problem. I don't think there's a coward bone in his body. This this guy super competitive in the way you watch him play, and I think that's the one thing this this class has guys that were willing to come up. And the first line on my notes is appears real thin on tape, but don't let his let his lack of bulk flu fool you. He does a really good job coverage, but he also has also does a good job of dealing with the run. He's more than willing to drive down to try and make place, will throw his body in there, wrap up, and other times he'll just launch himself. Love the effort he plays with in there in that area. So I don't have a problem. I mean, I I think he's got toughness. I don't think he's scared to make place.
Speaker 9: Who's err guy.
Speaker 5: There's only one guy that I want them to get in the first round. And I know it's not a likely it's not a likely thing to happen, but I am just praying to God.
Speaker 9: Who's number two?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 9: Or at least position wise, where are you looking?
Speaker 2: But see that's part of the problem.
Speaker 5: Like I would look for who's the guy that's the the the the guy that I think it's named maybe Washington that they think, yeah, no, no, not not not that guy, the guy that can immediately plug in at guard.
Speaker 7: Cyrus Torrents from Florida or Steve am It wasn't either one.
Speaker 5: Darnell right, yeah, Donald right, Donald right, that's the one that triagues me, just because of Iowa would fit. Yeah, that's where that that one is, because where he could where we would fit. I don't love and I've heard all the conversation on Meyer. I don't love that type of player. If what they're describing is what he is, then I don't love that type of player at twenty six. I want a dynamic player at twenty six, or I want somebody that immediately is better than what I got. I think Mayer right now, if you plugged him in based upon what I've heard, I'm not sure he's better than what you already have a tight end. Is he just he might be a better blocker, maybe a better blocker, but you could get a better blocker.
Speaker 2: I've heard you say there's some blockers in the third and fourth round.
Speaker 8: To her point about she made Amber made a point about the running backs. If you wouldn't take one in the first, you could take a tight end in the third. You know whether that's you know, we'll see Craft from South Dakota State. Laporta from from Iowa is another guy that you might you know, you might have to consider about that. Schoonmaker from Michigan is another guy they run the ball behind. I've got him as the eighty sixth best player on my board. So yeah, it's not about having to take one of There's a difference though, between these top tight ends because of the downfield ability. When you get down into the draft, you lose that ability to have the downfield threat. You got good catchers of the football, but you might have a little bit better blockers is what you might have if you look in that third, fourth and fifth round for a tight end.
Speaker 9: Yeah, who's your other guy.
Speaker 7: I had Darnell right, and then I also had Will McDonald from Iowa State. I think they like him. I looked at him some tape on him, and again what I'm looking at is more the positive things, So you know, you got to be careful when you're watching some of those YouTube highlights and all that. But what I did like about him is that when they put you know, and I also like the circle. You know, give me the circle so I can kind of see where he is. It lines up, He's all over the place. See him at right, tack right right, see him at left. Ind I see him kind of coming off the edge from like a traditional outside linebacker and then blitz seehims a couple of times up the middle a little bit. He does seem a little light, but that also kind of dynamic, and it's tall enough to put some frame on him. And a couple of sacks that I saw in the game were like thirty seconds to go, game on the line, and he makes the play one against Texas, I think to win the game. But I'm just saying, we always say that's the type of pass pressure you really want when the games on the line, go make the play to win it.
Speaker 5: I'll say this real quick to my guy Voch Lombardi out there, who does some some fine work covering cow was He actually interviewed Will McDonald and one of the things that McDonald said was in talking to the Cowboys and Dan Quinn, his quote was, they want me to play all over like Michael Parsons.
Speaker 2: So essentially, you bring in a guy like that that now.
Speaker 5: Has that flexibility where you can throw him at you can throw him off ball, you can put him on the line of scrimmage, you can have him rushing, you can have him playing a lot of different roles.
Speaker 2: That just gives you even more flexibility in.
Speaker 7: This I'm gonna say something. I'm gonna piggyback on what Amber said earlier. And you know, we've been saying it since since the end of the since halftime of the forty nine ers game. Like they have enough defensive guys to stop the forty nine ers from from scoring a lot of points and enough to win the game. They did not have enough playmakers. And I don't know if Brandon Cooks adding him to the mixes just solves the problem. I just think these defensive guys are sound great man you've got to fix the offensive playmaker.
Speaker 10: No.
Speaker 3: I think you're absolutely right about that.
Speaker 8: And maybe maybe Cooks takes you out of like Zay Flowers from Boston College and Downs from North Carolina and Scott from Cincinnati. The shorter receivers. You've already got. How many shorter receivers do you want to add? If I could throw one more name out there. That and this is a guy that I'm not super super super high on, but there are a lot of people that are super high.
Speaker 3: You need to keep an eye on.
Speaker 8: Lucas van Ness, the Iowa defensive end, the edge from Iowa. I think there's some things about him that are really really good about him the way I feel like this. There's some pass rushing stuff. He's not a starter all the time, but the rotational stuff. He does play the run well enough. He's I worry a little bit about his strength. He is seventeen times with the weights for defensive end for an edge. I don't think it's great, but I know there's a big, big like about Lucas fan Ness edge from Iowa. Keep him in mind at twenty six if he gets down to Dallas at that spot.
Speaker 2: All right, let's take our final break.
Speaker 5: We'll come back well a few more wrap up conversations regarding the opening press I mean sorry, the draft press conference.
Speaker 2: We'll right back. Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 11: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the bat AT and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 12: Five G requires compatable plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com Slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 14: Once you use the Cowboys locker rooms favorite products, check out the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black. Right now, you can get the Jack Black Playmaker, a curated collection of Cowboys locker room favorites, for just ten bucks with free shipping.
Speaker 3: The Playmaker includes four.
Speaker 14: Jack Black skincare favorites plus a full sized intense therapy lip bomb. Go to get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys and use the code word cowboys the Jack Black playmaker, tim Bucks free shipping.
Speaker 4: No one knows where this market will go. Right now, it feels like a wild ride. One thanks for certain there's a way through it, and the experience and guidance of a Maryland advisor can help you get there. Because where there's a bull, there's a way. Find an advisor in North Texas at mL dot com slash.
Speaker 2: Bookish Meryl, a Bank of America company.
Speaker 12: What would you like the I could do?
Speaker 6: Investing involves risk, Marylynch Peer Spender and Smith Incorporated, Registered broker deal Registered Investment Advisor Member SIPC, a Holy Own subsidiary of Thank of America Corp.
Speaker 13: Hey, honey, can we talk, of course?
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 13: I just thought you should know I've been curious about the new Doctor Pepper strawberries and cream.
Speaker 3: Have you fought this way a long time?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 13: I just think I'd really like the taste of doctor Pepper swirled with layers of flavor.
Speaker 2: If you feel that way, I think you should try it, babe.
Speaker 13: It's amazing I mean you're amazing too.
Speaker 5: Nude, Doctor Pepper, Strawberries and cream the new flavor you deserve.
Speaker 7: Back to the Break, Tacos in Tunes, That's where you need to go to Head to the Miller Lighthouse at AT and T Stadium for the Dallas Cowboys Tacos and Tunes Festival presented by Miller Light on Saturday, May thirteenth, from two to seven. There's gonna be a lot of Tacos food trucks all that. Dallascowboys dot com or visit att Stadium Slash Tackles and Tunes for more information.
Speaker 2: Welcome back.
Speaker 5: It is the final segment of The Break Live from the s w BC Mortgage Studios at the Star. Draft starts tomorrow night, first round, and so we're going to end today's show by doing what we would normally do on a Friday heading into a game weekend. I'm gonna nail these guys down and make them tell you who exactly the Cowboys will pick with their first round selection on Thursday night.
Speaker 7: I'm just gonna tell you right now, because I like when we do our gut feeling on the game, I make sure it's the same pick I am. I am I'm subject to check.
Speaker 2: You got your envelope yet? Do you still get your envelope?
Speaker 7: Get envelope? That guy doesn't work here anymore.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe he just knew somebody.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm getting envelopes anymore, and if so, I would open it. Dude you're talking about Yeah, he the guy a former scout used to give me an envelope, but he made sure that I didn't open it until after the draft.
Speaker 3: You were good about that too, I remember that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he was right twice. He did that.
Speaker 2: He gives you long before, like, yeah, long before the draft.
Speaker 7: Yeah, ripping that thing open. Now, if I got an envelope, Oh, man.
Speaker 2: Who's the pick?
Speaker 7: You're on the clock, I'll say, I'll say Darnell, Right, I'll say the man.
Speaker 3: If if that happens, I'll kiss you.
Speaker 7: Seriously changing my pick.
Speaker 8: That's how happy I would be about it. Does he play yes everything everything you want to say? Yes, Yes, this is a better, more more athletic ron leery.
Speaker 7: This is a tough This is like a better and more athletic.
Speaker 9: This guy he's super like. He looks very buff, like you compare him to.
Speaker 8: The other three pounds.
Speaker 14: See.
Speaker 8: The thing about it is the problem you're going to run into and it's a great pick by you, Nick, it's a great pick.
Speaker 3: The problem is you can watch him play.
Speaker 8: Against Will Anderson from Alabama, who's probably going to go in the top five, wipe him out, bj Ojelari probably gonna go in the first round at LSU. Wipe him out. You know That's what I'm saying. He plays against and.
Speaker 7: Even where's the problem? Then?
Speaker 2: Where where is he he's going?
Speaker 3: He's going, he's gonna go. He's I got him at nineteen on my board.
Speaker 8: To me, I mean, I I from the minute I watched him play, I'm watching those those games where he's blocking those edge rushers, and I'm going.
Speaker 3: Well, he's not getting the twenty six. What am I doing here? Stop? Stop being an idiot.
Speaker 8: You know the tackle group is not I mean there's people might play this guy at tackle depending on I mean like Johnson from Ohio State, Jones from Georgia, right from Tennessee. Those are the three best tackles in the draft. And I'm talking about taking right and moving him to guard.
Speaker 7: Now, he's not going to twenty six.
Speaker 3: If he's at twenty six. That's why I said what I said you know, because they'll be there.
Speaker 8: I don't I don't think that, but yes, it's like one of those things where you know, like it slides to you there and and you're is on the b and like you say, he's the nineteenth all the tags are gone, he's the nineteenth best player, and you're like, that's who we're taking that guy.
Speaker 2: That's what would you be willing to trade up for him?
Speaker 5: Like, if he's that good and he's there at twenty one, would you be willing to trade up for him?
Speaker 2: Because here's what I love about it.
Speaker 3: I love the guy.
Speaker 5: What I love about the idea is I look at this team and they have the offensive line and slipped from where it was years ago when they had a dominant offensive line. If you go back to back first rounders, you're now rebuilding that and your center's playing.
Speaker 2: Better than you maybe thought he was, and Steel is better than you thought he was.
Speaker 5: You now are on the cusp of actually having that sort of dominant line again, and they're gonna be primarily young guys.
Speaker 2: So I would love that.
Speaker 8: If you could make it happen. Is that worth you moving up? It would be worth it to me that you know there are guys. I understand, you know, understand not trading up for the back.
Speaker 3: I get that.
Speaker 8: I'm trying to fill a position right now. I like Torrents and Ovula, and I like the those guys. Don't get me wrong, but man, if you gave me a shot to drive, because I know this about right if if something were to happen at right tackle again, he goes play right tackle for you. You know, he's that type of he is a mean, nasty eliminator of people.
Speaker 7: Where it does Darnell? I love that eliminator of people.
Speaker 3: He did, he eliminated.
Speaker 8: Everybody's talking about what they don't show one highlight of Will Anderson rushing against Tennessee. I guarantee you bean pulled it up right now, You're not going to see Will Anderson rush against Tennessee.
Speaker 7: That's awesome, Because where did Darnell write pliminated, eliminated two years? Where does he play in twenty twenty four twenty?
Speaker 3: I want?
Speaker 8: I want, I don't move him, I play him? I mean, okay, depending on what's happening at right tackle. And they're they're they're kind of giving these mixed signals about you know where you know where Tyron Smith is going to play.
Speaker 3: I'm telling you, I've admitted it.
Speaker 2: I'm wrong.
Speaker 8: I'm wrong about Steel like him at right tackle him and Moran.
Speaker 9: How come he wasn't part of your three?
Speaker 13: Then?
Speaker 3: Which one? Because I don't think he's gonna be there.
Speaker 2: I think I don't think he's.
Speaker 3: Going to be there.
Speaker 7: Yeah, okay, I didn't.
Speaker 3: I would say b Jeon Robinson. I don't think he's gonna be there.
Speaker 7: Who's your guy?
Speaker 3: I told you, I told you who I think. I feel like it. It's gonna be one of those tight ends.
Speaker 8: It's gonna be if Mayor goes to say the commanders at sixteen, that's gonna send. I mean the Cowboy war room is going to go yeah, yeah, I think yeah. Because they want King Kay. I think they want King Kaid. So that's the But if Kinkaid goes first and then it's Mayor, now all bets are off. It's Sanders, it's McDonald, it's others that are kind.
Speaker 3: Of in the mix.
Speaker 7: Now Forbes, is he too high?
Speaker 3: Is that tight?
Speaker 8: And I just threw him and I threw I threw van Ness in there both as guys that I kind of feel like the room might like better.
Speaker 3: Again, that's just my opinion.
Speaker 8: I'm not I'm not not talking to anybody in about I'm just that's how I kind of feel like that they're looking at this thing.
Speaker 2: Who's your pick?
Speaker 10: I'm gonna stick to you an no lineman here really did a whole spill about right, He's a great option. I mentioned Avila, which I think he can still be available at that point, and I think he can still help you a whole lot this year. I know Torrance is a guy that's been talked about as well. I'm not a huge fan, just because I don't think he has the right size yet to be that guy that comes in year one and gives you what you need. I think he would need to develop and go into year two gain some weight and strength in that aspect. So I'm not a huge fan, but I know he's been talked about. I just think personally, I hope obviously there are those star players like Robinson, but other than that, I'm looking for an a lightman because I think that.
Speaker 9: You really need it this year.
Speaker 5: All Right, Well, I'm just gonna say it for the record, I'm just gonna manifest B.
Speaker 2: John Robinson will be there. He will be Oh, yes, we will. We will have a huge party.
Speaker 5: But I'm just gonna keep thinking he's gonna be there, and somehow, some way he's gonna drop all the twenty six and Dallas is gonna run up there with the car and this offense is I just hope, he said.
Speaker 8: I hope your heart's not broken it at Howie Rosman and those guys will be giants, will be giants.
Speaker 3: The giants bail, the giants bail. And because Philly knows, you're sitting on the guy, Philly.
Speaker 8: Knows it's like a need, it's not really I mean, Philly sees the value in the player.
Speaker 2: Everybody does that does not Philly.
Speaker 5: There are lots of teams that are gonna be sitting there thinking, hey, he's down there.
Speaker 2: Everybody's thinking, how do we jump up?
Speaker 5: And that makes whoever's at the twenty third, twenty fourth, twenty fifth pick, it makes them opportunity. It gives him opportunity to be able to trade back because there's gonna be a lot of teams that are thinking like that if he gets that far.
Speaker 2: So it's probably not likely, but I'm.
Speaker 5: Just prayerful that that maybe, just maybe the Cowboys picked this guy up and because I do think it would make a big difference for this offense if you get somebody like him involved.
Speaker 2: All right, I appreciate you guys. Jones.
Speaker 5: We'll be back next week and we'll break down what happens in the draft. Like I said, the coverage this weekend is going to be phenomenal on our platforms. Guts Some Brian Draft Show, Next Draft Show will be coming up next you guys will be getting them ready for tomorrow night, and then obviously Tomorrow night will be on the air starting at what five or six tomorrow, six o'clock, six o'clock tomorrow, you guys, they're go on live and we'll roll straight through the entire draft from there all the way until the final pick on Saturday. You guys will be wall to wall live, so make sure you check all that out till then for to keep Mcbrian brought us amberg Garcia.
Speaker 2: I'm Derek Eagleton. This has been the Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.