Speaker 1: Hey, welcome to Weird House Cinema. Rewind. This is Rob Lamb. As I announced last week, we're doing an experiment here. We're switching things up a bit. Listener mail episodes are no longer going to be occurring every week on Mondays. Instead, they're going to appear every month or so in a more robust format. So we're still reading listener mail. We're still going to feature it on future episodes. It's just going to be more or less like we used to do. This is also to help quality listener mail accumulate, so keep writing in contact at Stuff to Blow Yourmind dot com. Okay, now onto the episode at hand.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is a classic episode of Weird House Cinema. This one originally published three ten twenty three. It is the nineteen eighty one stop motion epic Clash of the Titans. If you grew up watching a lot of TBS as a kid, you probably watched this movie as many times as I did. Let's dive right in.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Stuff to Blow your Mind, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: Hey you welcome to Weird House Cinema.
Speaker 2: This is Rob Lamb, and this is Joe McCormick. And today Ooh, I got an itch for some stop motion animation. That was what I was craving this week. Rob, I don't know if you're the same way I am. I think stop motion monsters are one of my most nostalgic film elements. They remind me of when I was a kid. I had a VHS tape I think recorded in EP modes, a very grainy and low quality, but I had a tape of the Ray Harry Howsen movie Sindbad and the Eye of the Tiger, which featured battles with stop motion skeletons, a stop motion robotic minotaur called the Minoton, all kinds of great monsters in it. And so that's what I was in the mood for this week, and that led us to the selection of Clash of the Titans, another Harry Housing classic, not directed by Ray Harry Housen, but doing some excellent special effects. We got scorpions, we got an all time say top three gorgon Medusa. Let's see what else is in there. We got to crack in all kinds of good stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think it's like eight different stop motion creatures in this, which is about tops for him. I think one million years BC a film of his from nineteen sixty six, or film that he did special effects on. I think that one also had eight different stop motion creatures, So it's a it's quite an onslought. This is a special effects picture, certainly, and it is very interesting to think about in terms of the history of stop motion, the legacy of Ray Harry Housen, because this is we'll discuss this was his last special effects picture. He retired after this, so it's it's really his swan song. And it's also very interesting to look at Clash of the Titans as kind of the the perfection of a cinematic style or technique that was also already going out of fashion a little bit. I mean, this wouldn't be the end of stop motion effects. We have some fabulous stop motion effects that had come out in pictures after this, and a lot of that has to do with the legacy of Harry Howsen and how influential he was on other effects folks. But but yeah, this was this was his swan song. This is kind of this film, whatever else it happens to be, it is kind of an important effects historical marker.
Speaker 2: I was trying to think before we started recording about why I love stop motion effects so much for the creation of monsters in particular, and I think it has something to do with actual artifacts of like how the the animation is produced, you know, adding in these still frames in sequence to to create the illusion of motion, the fact that it's not capturing something that was in reality when being filmed in continuous motion, the way that say people are when you film them, but was actually holding still in each still frame, ends up creating this kind of unnatural lack of smoothness in the motion, this kind of jerkiness that I think some people have singled out about stop motion effects, you know, in a detrimental way and saying like, well, you know, it takes away from the realism, Like there's always limitations to what you can do with stop motion because of that kind of jerkiness. But it's exactly that quality that I love about them and why I think they make for uncanny creatures, especially they're they're really great, especially for monsters and uncanny creatures.
Speaker 1: Oh, absolutely, something about the way they're articulated. It worked really well with It works really well with say giant crabs and things like that, you know, in and a racknets that have that kind of articulation works extremely well. Like you said with inhuman monsters, reanimated the skeletons, of course, was that Jason and the Argonauts that had the army of reanimated skeletons.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think that's in Jason, But there are also some reanimated skeleton monsters in Sinbad and the Eye at the Tiger. I remember there's a great battle with them where I think Sindbad ends up killing them by like kicking over a giant pile of timber of logs and they like roll down and crush the skeletons.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And at the same time, though, with Harry Housen especially, I mean he and his crew were brave enough to go after creatures that were far different from this, things like as we'll see in this film, a pegasus, a large vulture, things that don't adhere to these qualities and seem, at least to my eye, far more ambitious, especially especially that pegasus. Really ambitious effect that they went for there, and I think they pulled it off well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean so exactly the same quality that I think makes stop motion great for monsters, I think would make it hard to do a really cute, cuddly character. In stop motion it would be might be a little off putting, but this movie manages it with Bubo, and it maybe helps that Bubo is a robot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I don't know if I want to cuddle him, but he's very cute. It has a lot of personality.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you might get some cuts and pinches that way.
Speaker 1: He might be a little hot, I mean yeah, considering where it came from too.
Speaker 2: So nineteen eighty one Clash of the Titans. Why is it called Clash of the Titans? Do you know the answer to this? I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't have the you know, the exact answer. A lot of times, you know, it's like, well the producer said it should be called this, or sometimes it's the It is the original title that was dreampt up. But it's always been kind of a perplexing title because if you're going into this film with a pre existing, you know, head full of Greek myth facts, you're probably gonna say, WHOA hold on a minute, there are no Titans in this picture. There are no Titans two clash, how is it possibly going to deliver on the concept? And well, technically, I guess titans do clash in the picture, as long as you're willing to stretch the definition of titan and really embrace everything the movie tells you.
Speaker 2: I just watched it, and I don't know what you're talking to. I only recall the one they called the crack in a titan, But what's the other titan?
Speaker 1: They decide that Medusa is a titan as well, oh, which is also is also incorrect, equally incorrect, even though at least Medusa is from Greek mythology while the Cracking is Norse mythology. So if you take their word for it, okay, technically these titans will sort of clash. But yeah, it's a it's a strange title, but it's a dynamic title. It inspires a lot of action, and we do see a lot of action in the picture.
Speaker 2: Well. To be fair, I recall when we did our episodes on Medusa, there were different origins stories for Medusa. So some say that she was, you know, the priestess who was wronged by Poseidon and then and then doubly wronged by Athena and cursed. Was it Athena? I think it was Athena anyway, But then there's there's another story. I think that says that she's just sort of one of the primordial monsters that was given birth to by some other combination of critters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, as is always the case, And we've discussed some unstuff toable your mind a lot. With myths, I mean, there's there's there's Generally there may be famous accounts and famous attempts to sort of create a canonical version of a particular story, but generally there are lots of different stories regarding these these beings and these these stories and these gods and goddesses and heroes, and then at some point somebody comes along and kind of cobbles them together, and ultimately, I mean that's what a film like Clash of the Titans does. It cobbles them together and takes characters from other myth cycles, other traditions, and other cultures and works them into the mix, which all so is exactly what has been done in mythology and folklore and religion since time out of mind.
Speaker 2: Yes, And I guess that's one of the really fun things about say Greek mythology, for instance, which is that there is no canon of Greek mythology. You know, Greek mythology never had like a pope that could say like, Okay, this is the approved version of the story, and other versions of the story are not authoritative, that didn't exist, So you've just always had different versions of the stories, different takes on these characters and themes, and so this is another one.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, Like we we mentioned in our episodes on the Medusa several years back, and if you want a deep dive into Medusa or a deeper dive into Medusa mythology, like that's the place to go. We're not going to spend as much time with it here. But you know, in that we point out that it's you see literary traditions regarding these these stories and these characters, and then it's just like whatever ends up sticking in people's minds the most. And interestingly enough, I remember one of the authors we looked at for the Medusa episodes point out doubt that Clash of the Titans presents a version of the Perseus versus Medusa's story that has really stuck in the modern film moviegoer's mind.
Speaker 2: In some ways, it is a new authoritative version of the myth because of how popular it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or at least for a certain generation. I don't know what. I don't know how people are watching or how often they're watching Clash of the Titans today, But growing up watching a lot of like TBS and TNT on cable, I feel like they showed this movie every week. It was just always on television. You could always watch some part of Clash of the Titan. You might not ever watch it beginning to end, but you know, you spend a few years watching television, you're going to see all of it at least two or three times, even if you're just catching a little bits of it.
Speaker 2: You know, I actually never saw the whole thing until I was older.
Speaker 1: Well, I say I didn't see all of it always, or I thought I had, And then when I went to watch it with my years back, I was like, Oh, I didn't realize there was so much nudity in this film because that was always cut from the Turner broadcast. Oh yeah, I mean it's very tame nudity. It's like PG rated nudity, but there is a little bit of nudity in there. You know.
Speaker 2: One thing I definitely would not have appreciated if I had seen this movie when I was younger, is what a treasure trove the cast is or I don't know if it should even say that the full cast. I mean, this movie is full of things you might call cameos where a well known actor or actresses is brought in to have like I don't know, like one or two lines, or even no lines, just be on screen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there are actors who do get a fair amount of screen time in this film and have some great lines, and then the yeah, there are others that are just kind of standing around or they have just just a few moments on screen. So, yeah, this is gonna be one where we might not spend as much time with every member of the cast, but we'll try and mention everybody of note as we move forward towards the plot section. But before we get there, I guess we should make up just a couple of notes here. Well, first, let's go ahead and listen to the trailer so we can get just a splash of the audio from Clash of the Titans.
Speaker 4: In an ancient age before recorded time, men were measured by their courage and women by their beauty. Mighty gods ruled the universe, and fear and destruction covered the world. It was a time of darkness when only the force of love could bring back the light. Now Metro Goldwyn Mayer presents Clash of the Titans a sweeping ledger of a golden age. Soon the motion picture epic of our time. Enter into the wondrous world of Perseus and Andromeda. A world of passion and power, beauty and bravery, mystery and magic, a world that transcends fantasy and leaps into legend. One courageous man rides between an angry heaven and the fury of hell on Earth. He rides a winged stallion across the sky. He rides to save the one who owns his heart. He rides towards wonders no man has ever seen, and terrors no man has ever faced. Clash of the Titans, starring Laurence Olivier, Maggie Smith, Ursula andres Burgis, Meredith Claire Bloom and introducing Harry Hamlin as Perseus and Judy Balker as Andromeda. It will touch you, shock you, dazzle your senses, and sweep you to the limits.
Speaker 2: Of your imagination.
Speaker 4: Clash of the Titans.
Speaker 1: Very sweeping, very very mythic, very nineteen eighty one.
Speaker 2: I think the trailer should have had Jefferson starship in it.
Speaker 1: It's important to note, and this is I mean, you can't approach this film without realizing that it of course comes out in the wake of Star Wars, the massive hit with Star Wars comes a few years later. There are aspects of the picture that are clearly going after that Star Wars money, kind of going after that Star Wars vibe.
Speaker 2: I had the same thought, and one of the things that really jumped out at me was the character of Bubo, the robotic owl created by Hephaistus, modeled on the organic owl of Athena. This struck me as obviously R two D two with wings. Did you have the same thought.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, absolutely, It's clearly an attempt to cash in on that droid magic. It even speaks like a droid. It kind of speaks in its own kind of like droid whirls and beeps and so forth. And we also get to the point where Perseus can understand the owl when it's speaking to him, and so we get these kind of like human droid interactions like we see in Star Wars.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I also thought Perseus in this movie seemed to me strongly influenced by Luke Skywalker.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but without that sort of I don't know, definitely some different Like it's kind of it's weird to go back and look at at Luke in the first Star Wars film and decide how you feel about him, because he's more flawed and relatable, you know, he's like a kind of yeah, a grumpy, he's a grumpy team and Perseus is the son of a god who gets a lot of stuff handed to him, and so Percus spends a lot of the film not being particularly relatable, I think, but we can discuss that as we move forward.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think it's kind of a problem that exists in the core myth like unlike Luke Skywalker, he doesn't have that sense of lacking and yearning, you know, he's just grated everything from the get go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, before we move forward, if you're wanting to watch this film for yourself, well, where can you find it? Well, first of all, make sure you put that nineteen eighty one in there, because otherwise you can end up watch and the remake. I think the remake comes up first in search, but that's a crime.
Speaker 2: I haven't even seen it. I don't know why I judge that I just know without watching it that it's awful.
Speaker 1: All I can say for it is that you have computer animated monsters instead of stop motion monsters. You have what a lemon Essen is in it, and so is uh Ray Findes is in it as well. He plays Hades, who isn't in the Hades doesn't factor into this one, but he pops up in the remake, and so they're fine. You have those are two great actors. Put them in some shiny and weird armor and they're they're they're cool. But then there's also like a scene where the new Perseus finds a robotic owl in like a trash can or something and he's like no, thank you and like shuts it, and it's like, yeah, it's clearly it has the the opinion that it doesn't need to be cute and impressive and needs just to be like it just needs to be like hard and an action packed.
Speaker 2: So I don't know.
Speaker 1: I I think I enjoyed it when I watched it, and it's worth watching Dreguess for a couple of performances, but it's not as fun and touchable as this film.
Speaker 2: Love, a CGI laden remake that just gets in some digs at the old movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that was the main dig but it was like, yeah, I didn't. It rubbed me the wrong way for sure. Yeah. So where can you watch this film if you want to watch it? Well, if what I know for my own experience is still true, I would say turn on TBS now, go ahead and flip the TNT whichever channel it's on, go ahead and watch it there. But if it's not available to you on television right now, you can rent or buy this pretty much anywhere in any way that you get your films.
Speaker 2: This is not one of our more obscure choices. It's out there.
Speaker 1: All right. Well, let's jump into the humans involved. I'm gonna do things a little different here and I'm just going to hit all the behind the scenes folks right at the top. So the director of this is Desmond Davis, who lived nineteen twenty six through twenty twenty one, British camera operator turned writer and director. His first directorial credit was nineteen sixty four's Girl with Green Eyes, starring Peter Finch and Rita Tushingham. One of his immediate follow ups was nineteen sixty six Is Time Lost and Time Remembered aka I Was Happy There and nineteen sixty seven Smashing Time. The first two of these at least seemed to be like really well remembered, at least within their own genre.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: I think it's kind of maybe a snapshot of kind of like, you know, really cool sixties London type of stuff. He also directed the nineteen eighty four Donald Sutherland thriller Ordeal by Innocence, and then an adaptation of the Sherlock Holmes tale The Sign of Four starring Ian Richardson in nineteen eighty three. He also did a lot of TV work.
Speaker 2: I don't think I've seen any of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm certainly haven't seen the older pictures. I might have seen the Sign of Four. I'm not sure. I'd have to go back and really look at some screenshots.
Speaker 2: Who's Sherlock in that one? Is? Is that a Jeremy Brett movie?
Speaker 1: I believe it's an Ian Richardson. Oh you already said that. I'm sorry, Yeah, Jeremy Brett. All of those were for TV, and they did the Sign of Four at one point. All right. The writer on this is Beverly Cross, who have nineteen thirty one through nineteen ninety eight English playwright and screenwriter longtime husband of actor Maggie Smith, who is also in this picture. Until his death. His screenplays include nineteen sixty three's Jason and the Argonauts, nineteen sixty five's Genghis Khan starring Omar Sharif in nineteen seventy seven Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger or in the Eye of the Tiger. I can't remember what his relationship to the yet.
Speaker 2: I don't think they could fit him in the Eye of the Time. No, yeah, it's and of the Eye of the Tiger again. That movie is incredibly dopey, some very questionable casting decisions, but it's also a heck of a lot of fun. It's got great monsters and all that.
Speaker 1: Creator of visual effects on this and also a producer of the film is Ray Harry Housen, who we mentioned already lived nineteen twenty through twenty thirteen. You know, I believe this is our first Harry Housen film.
Speaker 2: I know he's come up on the show before, but I don't remember what movie that was. In the context of maybe we were just talking about something else that'd stop motion in it. But oh man, I literally get warm feelings inside just hearing the name Ray Harry Housen, like it sends those kind of like those jets of warm water through my chest.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, it even kind of sounds like it, right, Housen, you're a you're at home and Harry, it's kind of like rubbed the fur.
Speaker 2: Right, yes, yes, yeah.
Speaker 1: So if you have it, ever been into movie monsters and special effects, then you know the name. He was an American British Oscar winning animator and special effects creator who is a major pioneer in the industry and created the dynamation approach to stop motion. I remember talking with Seth about this on one of the Weird Houses that he appeared on, probably the probably the one we were talking about Alice. But it seems like everybody that did stop motion they had some sort of cool name for it that wasn't stop motion. Almost like there was a rejection of the term stop motion, like it sounded too boring or something, or maybe they just, you know, just needed something you can copyright to call it. I don't know anyway. Harry Housen's credits, You know, I usually don't list everything. I'm just going to go and list I think all the major films that he did here forty nine, Mighty Joe Young fifty three, The Beast from twenty thousand fathoms fifty five It came from beneath the Sea fifty six, The Animal World also in fifty six, Earth versus the Flying Saucers fifty seven, twenty million Years to Earth fifty eight, The Seventh Voyage of the Sinbad nineteen sixty, The Three Worlds of Gulliver nineteen sixty one, Mysterious Island that has got a Yeah, sixty three, Jason and the Argonaut sixty four, First Men in the Moon one million years BC in sixty six, The Valley of Guangy in sixty nine, The Golden Voyage of Sinbad in seventy three, Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger in nineteen seventy seven, and then wraps it all up in eighty one with Clash of the Titans.
Speaker 2: We may have to come back and do at least one of these other ones at some point, because I just love these monsters so much.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, there's so many just iconic monster designs. They have so much character to them, and you've missed that kind of thing when you're watching something like the luf Riigno Hercules movie that we covered, which is a very fine, very very exciting picture, but with the stop motion and that doesn't hold a candle to this.
Speaker 2: That one did have some great visual flare, but yeah, not so much. In the Monsters. Yeah, who is that character who is like, oh, I don't know, some kind of like wizard who lived down on an asteroid or something.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's what's like supposed to be datalist?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Is it?
Speaker 2: Maybe?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: That was great?
Speaker 1: All right, real quickly. The music in this is by Lawrence Rosenthal born nineteen twenty six, prolific Oscar nominated in Any winning composer who worked in TV, film, and stage. His film scores include A Raisin in the Sun, The Miracle Worker Beckett, and the nineteen seventy seven adaptation of the Island of Doctor Moreau. Father of noted stem cell scientist Professor Nadia Rosenthal. The music in this is very epic and sweeping, and you know, it does its shop. What can you say?
Speaker 2: All right now when it comes to the cast, this is going to be the story of Perseus and Medusa. So Perseus, you gotta have you a fresh hunk, right, I mean, no, no, old hunks will do yep.
Speaker 1: And the fresh one they had here was Harry Hamlin. I believe the credits are the credits of the trailer for get what jof Han say and introducing Harry Hamlin.
Speaker 2: Just removed from his original packaging.
Speaker 1: And you know, as is often the case, it kind of feels that way. With the performance. I mean, he's good in this, but and to be fair, he's playing Perseus, a hero, a son of a god, so there are how do you play that in a way that's relatable. I mean, I think various shows where I've seen someone portraying Perseus, and but Perseus is it's kind of a big lift to make this feel like a real person. So Harry Hamlin does as fine a job as you might expect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I'm gonna be honest, and I'm gonna say, especially because I can say good things about his later career, I don't think his acting is stellar in this movie. He's kind of a slab. He like, he stands there and he's handsome and ooh, look at his shoulders and all that. He does not really do a great job of acting, I will say, but in his later career he did lots of stuff where I thought he was great. He was great in Madmen, he was great on Veronica Mars. You know, I don't know what. I guess he was just very young here.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I mean, undoubtedly he was very young. I think he'd only been I think he'd done some stage. He'd had one movie appearance before this. But yeah, went on to be known more for again mad Men. He was in La Law for the first five seasons of that. I would say that I'll come back to this, but I think there's one sequence in the film where his performance is definitely better than the rest of the picture, and I think it's also the best sequence in the entire film, So we'll discuss in a bit. But he also has some interesting science connections as well. I didn't know about this, but his grandfather, Chauncey Jerome Hamlin, founded the Buffalo Museum of Science, and his father, Chauncey Jerome Hamlin Junior, was an aeronautical engineer who helped design the Saturn rocket with doctor Verner von Braun. And yeah, Harry himself apparently co founded the Fusion Power Company or co founded the Fusion Power Company TAE Technologies in nineteen ninety eight.
Speaker 2: Wow, So yeah, not know he had fusion power connections.
Speaker 1: I had no idea either, but it's listed in more than one place, so I don't think I'm just being scammed on that. All right, Let's see other mortals of note in the picture. Well, Sean Phillips born nineteen thirty three, isn't it as Cassiopeia?
Speaker 2: Okay, so she's playing the queen of the City of Joppa, the mother of Princess Andromeda.
Speaker 1: Right right. And Sean Phillips is notable because well, I mean she was Reverend Mother Gaya's Helen Mohiam and David Lynch's Dune in nineteen eighty four, and she was also the Witch of Indoor in Ewok's The Battle for Indoor in nineteen eighty five. Terrific. In both of those, she's a fun actor. Even if she doesn't she does get to be a little like she does like a stern sort of female mild villain role really well, you know, like she has that definite sternness to it because in this she's like, Okay, I will sacrifice my daughter to the kraken. It's what the gods want, so I'm going to do it.
Speaker 2: And Before that, there's a scene where she earns the wrath of Maggie Smith by just standing in front of a statue of Maggie Smith of the Goddess Thetis, and just being like, by the way, my daughter who's about to have her wedding day is more beautiful than the goddess I'm standing in front of right now. And of course then the ground begins to shake and all that. So bad call, bad call.
Speaker 1: Yes, So she's a lot of fun in the picture. Judy Bockner plays and drama. Born nineteen fifty four, English actor, probably best known for this film, but she was also in the nineteen seventy seven Luis Jardin Dracula movie and Franco Zephyrelli's brother son Sister Moon in seventy two.
Speaker 2: Okay, so she plays Andromeda, the princess of the City of Jappa, who in the original story she's rescued by Perseus. Though I like how in this version of the story there's more of a complicated backstory with the whole you know, her previous betrothal to what's his name, Calibos and all that that we'll get to in a bit.
Speaker 1: All right, one, Well, there are two more mortals of note, but the most important mortal to discuss here is Amon, who is what's supposed to be a like a Greek dramatist turned sort of. I don't know. He's just up for adventures, right, He's kind of a rogue.
Speaker 2: I guess, I guess, yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean I interpreted him as I guess, a fictionalized version of Escalus or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I guess. He's kind of a bard, kind of the bard of the party here. And he is played by the terrific American actor of theater, film, and television, Burgess Meredith of nineteen o seven through nineteen ninety seven.
Speaker 2: You gotta fight the Gorgan Rock You gotta fight.
Speaker 1: Out, that's right. Many people will know him best for his role as the coach Mickey Goldmill in the Rocky franchise, or at least the first three pictures, but he was in so many things, like he played the penguin in the nineteen sixties TV series Batman. One of his other really iconic roles is playing the character Henry Demas in the classic Twilight Zone episode Time Enough at Last. This is the one about the guy who survives the apocalypse and then he survives the destruction of humanity and all lenses, and then he thinks he gets to read all the books in the library, but then he breaks his glasses and it's like, oh, the tragedy, and you know, it's great, but it's a famous episode.
Speaker 2: I was just trying to remember what happens to his character at the end of his arc in the Rocky movies, and I think, unless I'm remembering wrong, that in Rocky three, mister t is so rude to him that he like has a heart attack and dies.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, really something like that. Well, like I said, he was in tons of stuff. I'm not going to try and list anywhere near all of it here, but I will say he's in nineteen eighty five Santa Claus the movie. On top of some other things. He's he's a tremendous actor, and he's terrific in this film. So this is a film that features a lot of exposition, a young Hank who's very green, and then a lot of stoic hero and god speak, you know, but Meredith makes you believe virtually every line he delivers. It's kind of a masterclass in breathing life into lines that could otherwise fall completely flat.
Speaker 2: I agree. Yes, this is a quality we often see in older actors and actresses, who like, once you've been doing it long enough, you kind of acquire a sort of cumulative magic that allows you to transcend the written material you're given. I rarely notice this quality in younger actors.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, this is exactly why you bring in an older character actor like Burgess Meredith to play a role like this and to work with the younger, more inexperienced actors and sort of bring something out of them. All right. One other mortal of note, and that is Tim Pigott Smith who lived nineteen forty six through twenty seventeen. He plays Thallow. This is kind of our He's kind of like the miscellaneous guard dude that lasts the longest in the picture. You know, he's just a member of the party. Just he's like the fighter of the party.
Speaker 2: He's a soldier in a big soldier's helmet wearing a hilariously short skirt.
Speaker 1: That's the thing I was, you know, I always love checking out The IMDb user submitted parental warnings about the picture, and one of them was that saying that the the star of this film Harry hamlin Is. I think believe they said mostly nude the entire picture, and it's likely he's not really mostly. I don't know if i'd say he's mostly nude, but yes, he, like a lot of characters in the film, is you know, often wearing a very short outfit. Anyway, Tim Pickott Smith here is the kind of actor I'd probably spend more time talking about in another picture that's not so loaded, but suffice to say, accomplished English actor with a long career on stage, screen and TV, and in the later stages of his career he appeared in such big partout auctions as Gangs of New York from two thousand and two, Alexander from two thousand and four, v for Vendetta from two thousand and five, and The Quantum of Solace from two thousand and eight. All Right, moving on, let's get to some monsters. We mentioned Calibos already. This is the tragic beast man villain positioned as the son of Thedus instead of Achilles, who's actually her son in various Greek myths. But instead this character is actually based on Caliban from Shakespeare's The Tempest.
Speaker 2: The Caliban connection makes sense because so while Calibos is of course one of the villains of the movie, he does a lot of evil and he lashes out for revenge, he's also a character like you feel his pain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I remember this from watching this movie as a kid, even like, I sympathize with Calibos a lot, and part of that was like, yeah, he's the monster character in a movie full of a lot of humanoid characters. But I think also it's just baked into the movie. The movie stresses that, yeah, he did some terrible things, but also the gods have been potentially unfair to him and have punished him with this monstrous transformation.
Speaker 2: There's like a whole scene on Mount Olympus where the gods are talking about how, oh, if he'd been the son of Zeus and he'd done all the same stuff, he wouldn't have gotten punished.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but Zeus is light, but he's not and yeah, oh god, we'll get to Zeus in a minute. Yeah, but yeah, anyway, Calibos is played by Neil McCarthy, who lived nineteen thirty two through nineteen eighty five, And yeah, had a very distinct face, so you'll recognize him from a lot of pictures. He was in sixty eight's Where Eagles Dare nineteen sixty four Zulu, and he was in Terry Gilliam's Time Bandits from nineteen eighty one. Other monsters in this picture that are played by human beings we have the Stygian witches. So there are three witches. We talk about these, these characters that they're based on a good bit in the Medusa episode. But these are the three blind witches that Percus has to go to in order to find them a do so so essentially, and they're played by Flora Robson who lived nineteen oh two through nineteen eighty four, Anna Manahan who lived nineteen twenty four through two thousand and nine, and Freda Jackson who lived nineteen oh seven through nineteen ninety. Great witch performances by all three, though I do not know which one is which because they're all they all have a lot of makeup on but and they all three have very packed filmographies. So maybe in the future we'll hit on a movie that has one of them in it and we'll refer back to it. But suffice to say, great witch scene. Three great witches here.
Speaker 2: Very much agree that they are great, but they kind of act as one. They're not very individually distinctive by design.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, I think we've said this before. You know, it's like it is. There is a lot of sexism in the whole Older female actors end up playing witches in a lot of pictures, but when they do it really well, you gotta give them credit. And all three of these witches are great. All right, let's move on to the gods.
Speaker 2: Yeah, speaking of sexism, let's get to Zeus.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, he is the king of the gods, so we have to start with him, and yeah, he is pretty sexist. But yeah, this is the great Lawrence Olivier playing Zeus. Lawrence Olivia, of course, lived nineteen oh seventh through nineteen eighty nine, one of the biggest British acting names of the twentieth century, appearing in Clash as the Greek king of the gods in What I'm to Understand was largely a favor to co star Maggie Smith and her husband.
Speaker 2: Okay, so her husband wrote the movie and decided to really play up the part of the goddess Thetis and then have his wife cast in that role, and then get their friend Lawrence Olivier to play Zeus, right.
Speaker 1: Yes, what I've that's what I've read. That being said though, and also taking into the fact that apparently Olivier was sick during the filming, I think he's really good in this. Like it's yes, he's playing he's playing a god, he's playing Zeus, and he may he doesn't feel like he's going through the motions. Maybe he was, and that's just how good he was as an actor. But I feel like there's some wonderful dimensions to this performance as this egotistical, calmly threatening tyrant who is also not the villain of the piece.
Speaker 2: No, it's interesting. Yeah, you're right, he's not the villain, even though a lot of what's happening in the movie is a result of his capriciousness and hypocrisy. And there's just just it's kind of accepted, sort of as a law of nature that Zeus is just completely unfair and that's just the reality. It's like the Yeah, it's just the reality everybody has to deal with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, kind of like the scene I think it's very pronouncing, the scene where he asked Athena to give up her owl to Perseus and she doesn't want to but he's like, but it's my wish, and he does it in this way where it's like it oh, it's just so good. He hits it perfectly well.
Speaker 2: Also the backstory is hilarious because Athena already gave Perseus a helmet that would make him invisible. Good, right, that's that's a good Christmas present, And Percys, He's like, well I lost it, dropped it in the swamp. So Zeus is like, you will get my little boy a new present.
Speaker 1: Yes, give him your toy, give him your favorite thing. And you know she has to do it, but she finds a loophole anyway. Lawrence Olivier tons of pictures that he was in. He was, of course a major Shakespearean actor of stage and screen, and his credits and compass everything from the likes of nineteen forties Rebecca directed by Alfred Hitchcock, forty eight's Hamlet, and also such a later day largely I guess genre hits such as nineteen seventy eight's The Boys from Brazil. Nineteen seventy six is Marathon Man in nineteen seventy two Sleuth.
Speaker 2: He is the diabolical Nazi dentist in Marathon Man.
Speaker 1: Right, and he's a Nazi hunter in The Boys from Brazil, so I guess you know they bounce out Boys from Brazil. Of course, is the they tried to clone Hitler movie.
Speaker 2: Oh, I've never seen that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's oh, it's it's I haven't seen it in a while, but I remember thinking it was good. It has Gregory Peck in it. Gregory Peck plays doctor Mangela on the run. Yeah, all right, other gods and try and run through some of these quickly because okay, we have hair Out played by Claire Bloom born nineteen thirty one, known for such films as fifty two's Limelight, sixty three is The Haunting, in twenty ten's The King's Speech, Still active, still going at it. Doesn't do much in this picture.
Speaker 2: She's got like three lines maybe yep.
Speaker 1: But then we have Maggie Smith again playing Thedus born nineteen thirty four. Yeah, legendary Maggie Smith, known probably more to modern fans for her roles in Gosford Park, Dalton Abbey and the Harry Potter franchise. But she's had a very long career and is also still active. She has upcoming pictures coming down the pipe, and she's been active on TV and screen since nineteen fifty five.
Speaker 2: Maggie Smith is great in this She's great in everything I've ever seen her in. She's always excellent, and her character is really interesting because you see her from two completely different sides to the human characters. She's basically a villain, like she imposes the need to sacrifice Princess Andromeda to the Kraken as she speaks out of a statue to lay a curse upon the city. But then you also see the other side, which is that on Mount Olympus she's the underdog. You feel for her, and you see that Zeus mistreats her. So she appears both as a kind of sympathetic hero and as an end as a cruel, overbearing villain, depending on whether your point of view is earthly or heavenly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So she definitely gets a lot of screen time and has ultimately a really well defined character. And then on the other end of the spectrum we have Ursula Andres as Aphrodite born nineteen thirty six. She only has like one line in this film, but the Swiss model turned actor was a major sex symbol of her time with a breakout role in nineteen sixty two's Doctor No Bond film. Her other credits are kind of all over the place, like, for instance, she's in Sergio Martino's Slave of the Cannibal God from nineteen seventy eight.
Speaker 2: I was not prepared for this. On rewatching, I was like Ursula andres Oh. I guess she was excited to see her in this movie. She says like one thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, just one line. And I think she was pretty highly built in the picture too. Yeah, all right, other gods, we've still got multiple guns to go here. God packed this movie, but we have Poseidon, a severely I think depowered Poseidon, played by Jack Gwillam, who lived nineteen oh nine through two thousand and one. He had parts in sixty twos Lawrence of Arabia, seventies Patent, He played Van Helsing in nineteen eighty seven's The Monster Squad, and he was also in such films as nineteen seventies Cromwell nineteen sixty six is a Man for All Seasons in nineteen sixty four, It's the Curse of the Mummies Tomb.
Speaker 2: A Man for all Seasons is that the one that has that has Robert Shaw as Henry the Eighth.
Speaker 1: I believe that's right. I've seen this film before, but it's been a while. Yeah, Robert Shaw and a pretty stacked cast. I mean, you got people like John Hurt and at Orson Wells, et cetera. A really good cast.
Speaker 2: Okay, So they brought in another heavy hitter to play Poseidon. And does Poseidon even have one line? I don't remember.
Speaker 1: I think he speaks, but yeah, he's a very meek Poseidon like basically his role is to go down in the water and call up the kraken. Once Zeus has said released the kraken, so's he's the one who actually does the releasing. So, especially given how powerful Poseidon is in many of the traditions of Greek mythology, he really he really feels deepowered here.
Speaker 2: But I would say, in this film, Maggie Smith as they just fills the role that would have been played by Poseidon.
Speaker 1: Hmm, yeah, I think I think you're right. That role ends up absorbing a lot of the power from various other figures in it in the film. Oh yeah, because another one, another major character from mythology, Athena, the goddess Athena, is in this played by Susan Fleetwood who lived nineteen forty four through nineteen ninety five. Her other credits include nineteen nineties The Craze, This is the one about the Underworld, The London Underworld Twins, nineteen eighty five's Young Sherlock Holmes, and she's in apparently in Tarkovsky's nineteen eighty six film The Sacrifice, which, as I remember, is very haunting and heavy and also very long.
Speaker 2: I love Tarkowski, but I haven't seen that one.
Speaker 1: It's it's it's it's kind of a it's good, it's a deep picture. I saw it in college. I got to see it on the big screen.
Speaker 2: But judging by this movie, Okay, Athena, what's she got us of, you know, like wisdom, crafts, war or any of that stuff. No, I think she's got us of owls in this movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Goddess of pet ownership, basically, that's all she does.
Speaker 2: Goddess of veterinary practice.
Speaker 1: Oh but we also have one more god, We have a Festus in this played by Pat Roach Big Pat Roach who lived nineteen thirty seven through two thousand and four.
Speaker 2: He plays the robot owl repairman of the gods.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean he is the one you would, I guess, go to for this sort of thing if if you can't get a hold of data lists, you know, if you want to keep it in Mount Olympus, then he's the one to go to. Well he didn't he train datalists. I'll given some of the traditions.
Speaker 2: Oh maybe anyway.
Speaker 1: Pat Roach British wrestler turned actor who's really in tons of nostalgic flicks from the eighties and nineties. I think one of the big ones that most people are familiar with is he of course plays that German mechanic that Indiana Jones fistfights underneath the propeller driven airplane in Raiders of the Last Lost Arc in nineteen eighty one.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it gets turned into Nazi soup by the propeller.
Speaker 1: He's I think he's actually in all three of the original Indie movies, playing smaller roles, and I think he plays another role in Raiders of the Lost Ark is the big one. He plays the wizard that turns into a monster in nineteen eighty fours Conan the Destroyer. So he's one of many big, meaty men in a movie that has like a full cast of big meaty men.
Speaker 2: I like that. You'd make even your wizard big in meaty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that's a very very meaty picture, that one. It's weird. It's like I think if we were to talk about a Conan film on Weird House, I think it would need to be Conan the Destroyer, like the Goofier went. But anyway, Pat Roach also played General Kale or kl I can't remember how it's pronounced in nineteen eighty eight's Willow. This is the dude with a big guerrilla skull on his mask. And oh, and he also played the Titan Atlas in Jim Henson's The Storyteller the Greek Myths. So even though he's not a Titan in this and there are very questionable titan classifications in this film, he has played a Titan before.
Speaker 2: That series of Jim Henson's Storyteller. By the way, I'd say is probably my other favorite adaptation of this story of like the Perseus and Medusa arc and has a I would say, has a Medusa designed to rival this one?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I remember that one did the wings, which you do see in a number of the accounts of old All right, we'll show we get into the plot of Clash of the Titans. These Titans got a clash, baby, so let's let's find out how they do it.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, one thing I wanted to note is it is amazing how much plot they are able to cram into two hours in this movie. We may focus in more granular detail on the earlier parts of the movie and then hop around for some of the later adventures. But it has a great openings howling wind dust blowing in the foreground, and then through a haze we see a procession of Greek soldiers escorting like a coffin or a litter. It's a it's a box. And then we get the opening lines spoken by the wicked King Ecrazias, who says, bear witness Zeus and all you gods on high Olympus, I condemn my daughter Danae and her son Perseus to the sea. Her guilt and sin have brought shame to Argus. I Acrazias, the king, now purge her crime and restore my honor. Their blood is not on my hands. And then he has them put into the box. Danny is clutching her baby boy and they put him in the box, cast him into the ocean and we see the box being tossed cruelly by the waves. Now we know in the story that Acrasius does this to avert a prophecy that Perseus will bring about his doom. Does the movie tell us this? I don't think it does, or if it does, I missed it.
Speaker 1: No. What I got from it was just the basic like, something's wrong. Zeus demands this, so I'm going to do it, and that's all there is to it. Zeus said it, I believe it. There you go.
Speaker 2: But it turns out Zeus does not want this, because we're going to go to Mount Olympus in a minute and Zeus is going to be like, why did you do that?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 2: So what I wanted to ask first, I couldn't tell where a lot of the location shots in this movie were coming from. There are parts right here at the opening on this coastline, which I assume is supposed to be in Greece, but they look like Scotland.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I read that they filmed at Pinewood Studios, I guess for you know, the interiors, and then they also shot in various places in the Mediterranean, So I mean that's ultimately I'm not sure where that they are in this particular scene, though.
Speaker 2: Well, from here we go to the opening credits and we zoom over beautiful landscapes and you see the mountain peaks, the spires, glacier pockets, and the crevices of the rocks. And this is the kind of landscape stuff that always works on me. You know, it puts me in the right mood for an epic. I recall thinking that Krull also got a lot of mileage out of just beautiful landscape shots that weren't strictly related to the story. Just put a camera up on top of the mountains, and you know it works. They do it for a reason.
Speaker 1: Well, Kral is the planet, so you got to see a lot of it yet.
Speaker 2: Right, Ladies and gentlemen meet Krol. But from here we go to Mount Olympus, which this is not on a mountain, it's an indoor studio set, and you know, a bunch of gods in white robes are standing around on marble floors with big columns in the background. I'd love Clash of the Titans, but I feel like the Olympus set, I don't know, it feels kind of boring to me. I feel like they could have made the gods look more interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like it basically looks like a bunch of older people are about to be adult baptized, you know. They have like baptismal gowns on, and they're standing around in like the standing around a big mall somewhere with a lot of white marble. Though I do love the throne the throat. When we switch the scenes of the Throne, it's pretty pretty great because there is Lawrence Olivier and his big derling white robe with a gold lion on one side, a gold snake wrapped around an egg on the other. He is on a throne of white marble, and behind his head is like a blue laser show.
Speaker 2: Yes, I do like the laser show. And I guess that's to show the power emanating from the throne of Zeus. And he clearly he's more powerful than all the other gods. They're not going to do anything without his approval. So one of the gods brings the report of what he just saw, which is King Ecrezius. Hey, he threw his daughter and her baby son into the ocean in a box, and some of the gods here. I think maybe this is Thetis or Hera, maybe Thetis. They try to defend Ecrazias. They say, hey, look, Zeus, he built a lot of really solid temples. He dedicated them to you. Who really cares if you throw a woman and a child in the ocean. But Zeus is incensed by this. He says, one hundred good deeds cannot atone for murder. I don't care how many temples he dedicated to me. You can't. You can't do this to people. And in this scene we go around he kind of like addresses each of the gods. We see Athena holding her owl. We see Aphrodite, and again this is Ursula andras here and she It's interesting, you know, Aphrodite is supposed to be the goddess of love, but she is making a face like she has just handed someone a goblet full of poisoned wine and is watching them drink.
Speaker 1: It, like she just found out that all of her dialogue got cut from the floor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so Zeus Zeus's demand, He demands justice. He says nothing can erase this horrible crime. And so he says that King Ecrasias must be punished, but not just him, him and his people too. By the way, let's let's just do his whole city. Let's throw them in there. So he calls up Posidon and he says, I command you to raise the wind and the sea and then let loose the kraken. Oh, and also protect Danny and her son. He's like, make sure they get somewhere safe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because they I don't know if it's revealed yet, but they reveal it shortly after this.
Speaker 4: That.
Speaker 1: Of course, as we know from the mythology, Perseus is Zeus's son, so of course he's invested in this particular individual and his mom because it's for Zeus. It's all about him. Like that's and I guess he is the king of the universe in this narrative, so maybe he has a reason to feel so feel that way, but that's how he approaches everything.
Speaker 2: Right, that is what happened. And they go back to sort of like all the gods gossiping about it. They're all like, oh, you know what really happened. He Zeus quote loved that girl, Danny, and then he got her pregnant with Perseus, and so that's his own son. So that's why he's protecting them, and that's why he's mad. Now, Rob did you have any thoughts about the fact that in this movie Zeus appears to have a miniature's hobby, As I know you sometimes mess around with some miniatures yourself, So yeah, what are your thoughts.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, I think this is one of the great set pieces in the Pure because he has this room with this these wonderful shelves. Each one has a mini on it, a mini representing a different mortal in the world. On one level, I've always liked this because this is just prime, uh, this is a prime way to display your miniature collection. But also it's a it's a great set and it it really nicely displays this idea that the mortals are, in this case, literally the playthings of the gods. Like they're like that's that's literally like he'll we see this time and time again. You know, they'll pick one of these up and they'll do something to it. They'll break it or they'll repair it. And it has real world ramifications for the individual it represents, But to the gods, it's it's all a game. It's all ultimately about them. Well at least that's what the movie's saying. So Greek Pantheon, if you're listening. I'm just interpreting what the film is saying. It's not me. Don't turn me into a spider.
Speaker 2: We see Zeus kind of pulled it does He pull down the the craziest minifig here and he's like, oh, I'm done with you, and just crushes it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then we see like basically then we see the real life king just have a heart attack in the middle of the street while the winds and are rolling in and the earthquakes are beginning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he just goes ah, blood starts coming out of his mouth and and also yes, argos the city is doomed. So we see Poseidon. He's underwater and he raises up the waters and causes like a tidal wave to wash over the city, destroy all the buildings, kill the people. And then the cracking attacks. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So the effects here, you know, by modern standards, are maybe a little a little rougher around the edges, but there's no denying the cracking when he shows up. This is our first glimpse at the big stop motion beast here. I've always loved this design. It's you know, there's a certain amount of creature from the Black Lagoon wound up in him, but you know, he also has these these four long arms that are kind of squid like. He's also very reminiscent of some sort of great, gigantic mirv beast.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, cross between creature from the Black Lagoon and kind of a capuchin monkey.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: All right, So we get a report about that in ment Olympus, that city's been destroyed and Danny and her child have been brought to safety on the island of Saraphos, where they will be allowed to live in peace and security.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And then we get some scenes indicating that Perseus has really grown up fast, because we see him do like trick riding on ponies on the beach.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, he's a strapping young lad.
Speaker 2: And Zeus is commenting on this, He's like, the advantage of a strong body and a handsome face. What could any mortal desire or deserve more?
Speaker 1: He puts him up there on the shelf. Forget it's great, because he's like, he's like, it's it's all all these these mortals are to him, are just like fancy beautiful playthings. Yeah, this one he's personally invested in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, He's like, Harora, tell me my son is handsome. Oh. But then so Maggie Smith comes in and she she you know, he's talking about his son, and she goes, what of my son Calibos. This is the first we've heard of him, but Zeus essentially is like, well, it sucks to be him. We get the impression that Calibos was sort of a Taz like figure, just sort of like going around destroying everything he touched. He even killed all of Zeus's flying horses except for the one Pegasus. And for his crimes, Calibos has been sent to live in a soggy marsh where he is transformed into a monster, a mockery of the human form. And we don't see Calibos yet, but we do see a mini fig of him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think this is kind of the transformation sequence, right where he puts he puts the figurine of human Calibos in the middle of this arena they have there, and then we cut to the shadow of the mini and we see it twist and mutate into this beast man. And so I always love this scene because yeah, we don't actually see a man turn into a monster. We just see the shadow of a minifigure of that man. Turn into a monster and it's still highly effective.
Speaker 2: I agree. But then, of course Maggie Smith, she's she's suffering. She's like, how could you do this to my son? He's to marry the princess Andromeda, and Zeus says, let the princess look upon him. Now. Now, of course, Thetis points out Zeus's hypocrisy here. She's like, you know, if if that were your son, you wouldn't do this to him. So eventually, when Zeus is gone, she's like, I'm gonna get revenge. If my son is not to marry Princess Andromeda, then no man will I will speak to the priests of Jappa and dreams and omens. And as my son Calibas suffers, so will Andromeda. So she's gonna send some send some people some revelations that will interfere with with Andromeda's ability to live a happy life and and with the general well being of the city of japa Ah. But what if person Oh yeah, she's got to get revenge against Zeus's son as well. So here's where she I didn't quite get this. It's like, why is this vengeance? But her vengeance is Perseus. Now he's grown up, now he's Harry Hamlin and he's just laying out on the beach one night, you know, just laying there, and the saying looking at the stars, I guess, And she says, time to know the terrors of the dark and look on death. Time your eyes were open to grim reality. And she picks up the mini fig of him and moves it to an amphitheater setting, and somehow Harry Hamlin is transported from the island of Saraphas to the Amphitheater of Joppa.
Speaker 1: And there he wakes up.
Speaker 2: Yep, did you understand why this was revenge? You just said, Well, I'm going to take you to a random different place.
Speaker 1: I yeah. I mean, you know, she has the forethought of a goddess, so maybe she knows more about it. But at the very least, I guess it's like, I'm going to take you away from your seclude to beach home, and I'm going to drop you into the middle of a very complex and dangerous city and we'll see, we'll see how fancy you are.
Speaker 2: But when he wakes up here he meets a mysterious figure wearing a grotesque theater mask and shouting at him, who are you walking among all this smoke. But it turns out to be Burgess Meredith, who is perfectly friendly as this character Ammon. Once they get to know each other, and he explains, Oh yeah, yeah, I see. I pretend that this amphitheater is haunted to keep people away. This is the Amphitheater of Jappa. Here's where you are now, and you must have made the gods angry somehow to get transported here.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure what the business model for this amphitheater.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wonder about that. But they share some backstory. It turns out Ammon already knows Perseus's backstory because he even wrote a poem about it. It turns out Perseus is famous and he didn't even know it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but every moment with Amon, it's just a lot of fun because again it's a light hearted character, and Bert's Meretith just brings so much to this performance, just breathes life into every little line.
Speaker 2: I like how he's got a lot of kitty cats around his house.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep, a whole bunch of Like you just can't even get to important paperwork because they're just kitty cats everywhere.
Speaker 2: He gives Perseus a prince costume. So he's like, you know, welcome to Joppa. You know this is more befitting of your role as a prince because you are the son of Zeus. And then Zeus finds out that Thedus transported Perseus from Saraphas to Jappa, and he's mad about this. So what's he going to do about it. He's like, well, yea, Perseus is naked. That's no good. We've got to equip some items with him. He says, we need weapons of divine temper. So what are the weapons he gets? It seems like only two of the three things are actually weapons, but let's describe them all. So he gets a magical helmet from Athena, he gets a sword from Aphrodite and a shield from Hera. And what's the deal with all three of these things?
Speaker 1: Well, let's see what them. The magical helmet makes them invisible, the sword is just really good. And the shield Zeus can talk to him through the shield. I think that's the main power.
Speaker 2: I think he only does one time though. Well, no, the shield is reflective, that's.
Speaker 1: What it is. Oh yeah, it has a nice mirror one.
Speaker 2: It's a mirrored shield which will come in with Medusa. But the sword from Aphrodite. I don't know why Aphrodite has the strongest sword in the world, but it's a sword that can cut through stone.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, yeah, we see a scene where it cuts through the stone. That's right. But all of it's really shiny. All of it looks really good. And this is also really It also kind of feels at this point in the picture it's kind of like lazy dungeon mastering because our character has just been moved by the gods, dropped into a new location, and instantly given three legendary strength magical items which he doesn't have to do anything in order to get them. They're just laying around when he comes too.
Speaker 2: But I'm imagining Perseus here having to do wisdom saving throws and I don't know about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, kind of have a disadvantage there because I don't, you know, he hasn't done any real adventuring. He's done some horse tricks on a beach somewhere, but we have nothing to indicate that he's he's ready from an experienced standpoint, to do with a lot of adventuring. But again, he is the son of a god, so ideally I guess there's a lot of this. It's just sort of built into his godlike DNA, I guess so.
Speaker 2: But as soon as Perseus figures out that the helmet makes him invisible, he puts it on and runs off to Joppa. So in Djappa, Perseus is amazed by the culture. He's a small town boy, after all, he's from the sleepy island of Saraphas, so I think he's never seen the big city before. And he goes around marveling at all the sights and sounds in the marketplace, the most impressive of which, in my opinion, is the man with the iron mustache, a guy who is lifting up this like it's got this lady getting into a harness, and this dude uses it to lift her entire body off the ground with his mustache.
Speaker 1: It is most impressive. Yeah, and this is all. I love this whole sequence here, because it's like lepers, strong men, you know, a fancy ladies, seductive ladies, people selling things. It's just it's a neat scene.
Speaker 2: But then Perseus comes across a horrible sight a body burning on a steak, and he meets a guard. Is this thallow is that this would be him? Yeah, okay, yeah. He meets Thalo and he gets some exposition. So we learned that this guy burning over here, this was a suitor to the beautiful Princess Andromeda. And Rabina's mother Cassiopeia, originally pledged Andromeda's hand in marriage to Calibos. But Calibos was cruel and he did some bad stuff. He was kind of a taz and then he got transformed into a horrible monster. So now he's very ugly. And Andromeda refused to marry him, and as a result, the city is cursed. It's swarmed with stinging marsh flies. And also now any man can propose to Andromeda. I guess they've lowered their standards. But he's got to answer a riddle first, and those who fail the riddle die.
Speaker 1: Perseus, however, is up for a challenge. He seems interested in this. He's like, well, maybe this is where I should apply myself.
Speaker 2: Right, So he puts on the invisible helmet sneaks up to Andromeda's room at night, and I was thinking, what's the plan here? Does he be like, Hi, you don't know me, but I can turn invisible. What do you say? We get married? And I skip the riddle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like what Denny just sort of like he just looks at her while she's sleeping like a creep for a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, come on, Perseus.
Speaker 1: But I guess the idea is he confirms, like he's sleted first sight, he like realizes, I am now in love with her. I will do whatever it takes to get a shot at this riddle and answer it right.
Speaker 2: And he sees that every night to her rooms, it flies a giant vulture like that settles on her balcony and brings a cage, and I think her soul leaves her body and it gets into the cage and then the vulture carries it off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this is another great harry House in effect, this giant vulture.
Speaker 2: The vulture takes it to the swampy stronghold of Calibos every night to receive the new riddle for her suitors. And so Perseus figures, hey, I can follow her to the enemy encampment and there I could learn the riddle in advance, so I can cheat the moral of the story. Real heroes cheat.
Speaker 1: I mean, I guess he realizes as a rig system. So he's gonna try and get Dan Tally needs.
Speaker 2: But in order to follow the flying vulture, he has to be able to fly himself. So first there's a scene where he has to capture Pegasus, the winged horse. You know, I liked Pegasus, but I don't really love this sequence. It feels kind of nasty when he's catching the horse by throwing a rope around its neck. It's like, oh, the poor, poor Pegasus.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I didn't think about that's much of I was just so blown away by how good this, uh, this effect looks. He kept thinking about, how like you're having to animate a realistic horse, which is a very dynamic animal. I mean, this isn't like an articulated crab or a scorpion, Like this is a horse. There's a lot, there's a lot of animal, and then on top of that, you've added these beautiful wings to it. And so yeah, it seems like quite a challenge. But yeah, Harry howis and pulls it off.
Speaker 2: But the taming process works. He tames and rides the Pegasus. So now he's got one, uh, and the next night he he he's got one. Like there's multiple Pegasus. There's just one Pegasus. I guess the last one, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: He tells us like grilled up the other ones.
Speaker 2: I turned him into barbecue and so, uh yeah, he rides Pegasus to the swamp, follows the the vulture at the night and they go to the swamp of Kelbos, you know where the bullgaters beller and the panther squall and they they land there. And I love this set. It's a you know, a classic misty indoor for outdoor swamp that's got skeletons hanging from trees and little alligators and all that stuff. General thoughts about the Calibas sequence, Rob.
Speaker 1: Well, I think if memory serves, the part of the situation of the Calibus character is that originally it was going to be entirely stop motion, and then at some point in creating the script, they realized they wanted they were going to need a human to play the character as well. So we do a lot of cutting back and forth between stop motion Calibus and the actual actual human actor and makeup and and so I guess it can still be a little jarring even in a picture like this that kind of that has a lot of cutting back and forth between and integration between live action and stop motion. But of course that being said, like the stop motion, Calabus looks amazing. You get that tail sweeping around and so forth looks really good. And then, like I said earlier, the character of Calabus as we get to know him here, you know, he's he's a tragic villain. He's seated on this throne of sadness in his swamp. It's so there's a this is this is a fun sequence.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So Andromeda is there and she begs him, you know, lift the curse from Joppa, release my soul. He's like, no, I'm going to give you a new riddle, so you know, use this to to doom yet another suitor, another would be hero. And you can see also but there's like a scene where she touches his face I think when she's asking him to lift the curse, and I don't know, it is very sad like you see him, you know, like wishing he could have had a better life.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But oh she walks away and then Calibos he looks in the sand and sees what is that is that invisible the footsteps of an invisible Harry Hamlin. And then he's mad, So Harry Hamblin We see him walking off into the into the swamp, and then Calibos ambushes him and they fight for a bit. The helmet of invisible Ability gets knocked off of Perseus's belt and falls into the swamp waters. Bye bye.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one legendary magical item completely gone, just lost it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And we don't know exactly how the fight resolves. We see Percy has like land some kind of blow with his sword, and then it just cuts to the next day where Andromeda is. They are gathered, I guess in the temple of Thetis and Jappa, and you know, they're like, hey, is anybody gonna step up and propose marriage to her? Perseus does, and so they ask him the riddle and I was like, this is not a riddle. She just describes a strange image and then says what can it be? And the answer does not really rely on any cleverness. The answer is the ring on Calibos's hand, which Harry Hamlin has because he cut Calabos's hand off. Oh yeah, so he fills this in. He says, hey, yeah, I defeated Calibos in battle. I cut off his hand and I spared his life on the condition that he lift the curse from the city. So he correctly answered the riddle and the curse it seems at least has been lifted. So are we happily ever after now? But that wouldn't make sense. We're only like forty five minutes into the movie.
Speaker 1: I know, it seems like things are going well. The labyrinth is a piece of cake.
Speaker 2: But so while they're off partying and you know, Perseus and Andromeda are kind of getting to know each other, They're like, oh, yes, I guess we are in love now. Calibos comes into the temple. He kneels before the statue of Thetis and he prays for a way to get revenge on Perseus. He says, show me how to punish Perseus for this blasphemy, and Theda says, damn, well, can't hurt Perseus because Zeus protects him. So Calibos instead is like, well, then let me get revenge on the people Perseus loves Andromeda and the people of Joppa. He begs her to send the kraken. So I think it's the next day there's the marriage ceremony. They're about to be joined together forever. And then it's at the marriage ceremony that the Queen Cassiopia is like, good thing my daughter is even more beautiful than the goddess in this statue here and then the statue is like raw and its head falls off.
Speaker 1: And then we get that scene where suddenly it's Maggie Smith's face like superimposed onto the statue speaking to them.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say, this effect looks funny, and I don't think it was supposed to. Most of the effects in this movie I think are beautiful, but this one is a bit comic.
Speaker 1: I like that. I mean, I'm on one level, I like the effect of it. It's like you really nested up, you went too far, you mocked the gods, and so now the goddess is appearing to you through this crumpled statue and pronouncing doom. That's right, she does lay out some doom.
Speaker 2: Yes for the insults to me and my son, I demand the sacrifice of Andromeda in thirty days. We're going to feed her to the kraken.
Speaker 1: So now Percius has a new riddle to solve, and that is what are we gonna do about this cracking?
Speaker 2: Yeah, how do you kill a kraken? Emmon originally says, no man knows how to kill a kraken, and so Perseus says, oh, that's no good. But Emmon says, but there may be a woman who does, actually three women. We must consult the Stygian witches. They may know away, but there's a problem. They tend to eat people. But the heroes are not deterred. So all of our friends now get together Harry Hamlin, Burgess, Meredith, Andromeda what's his name, the soldier that Thallo or whatever it is, and then a bunch of other unnamed soldiers who were might as well be wearing you know, red Starfleet shirts.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, they're damned do you know that? They're just pure monster fodder.
Speaker 2: So they're going to head off to find the witches. Now I think they don't initially know how to find the witches, but the Zeus has a way to help with this. We go back to the gods and Zeus is like, this is the part where he goes up to Athena. He's like, hey, that helmet you gave my son, well he dropped it in a swamp. He needs a new gift. Give him your owl, your friend the boobo here. You know it is all seeming all knowing you shouldn't be a problem for you to give it to my son, and she's like, ew, let a mortal have my owl. That's gross. So she's not gonna do that. Instead, she gets pat Roach to make him a robot owl, and we briefly see a scene in the Forge of effaced Us where he's kneeling over a table and he's like a watchmaker. He's messing with all little gears and stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a fun sleepence. I don't know. It's a different type of role for pat Roach here. And also it's kind of like we've talked about the tactile nature of the stop motion effects, and Boobo really has that tactile feel and it really begins here watching him physically assembled by Avestus.
Speaker 2: Now he flies up to our heroes and settles down on a tree branch. But Boobo was also played for comic relief, much like the Droids and Star Wars. He kind of like beepy Boop and then he falls off the branch and land's head first on the ground and goes whoo woo, you.
Speaker 1: Know, m Yeah, And this is again, every time Boobo does something, there are a lot of movements to it, like a lot of love went into creating this effect.
Speaker 2: I do love Boobo, and I bet little kids especially love Boobo.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I remember showing this to my son a couple of years, but he loved He wasn't not for rewatching it. He wasn't interested in rewatching it with me for this episode. But he's watched it a couple of times in the past and loved all the monsters in it, of course, and loved Bubo.
Speaker 2: The ancient Greek astromecterroid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which does it does sort of a navigational function, guides them to the three witches.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right. Bubo can lead them to the shrine of the Stygian Witches, and so they go there. They have to climb a mountain to get up to the shrine the three witches, just as in the myth. The three of them share one eye between them, though it's not an eye here. Really, it's like a crystal ball, you know.
Speaker 1: They hold it up to their forehead into their like fleshed over eye sockets, and there's a certain amount of squabbling among them about who gets to use it next. And oh but yeah, this sequence is a lot of fun because there's a lot of cackling, there's a lot of like, oh, of course, I'll tell you about the about where you can find I guess they reveal that they're not even looking for Medusa at this point, right, but they revealed that Medusa's way. But well, but I'm getting ahead of myself, Like, in order to get the advantage, of course, Perseus has Bubou fly in and steal the eye, so now he has something to bargain with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they're like, give us back the eye, and he says, no, first, you got to tell me how I can defeat a kraken, and they they do tell him an idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's you should go get the head of the Medusa. It works even if she's been slain. Of course, the only problem is she's more dangerous than the kracking, so you're you're gonna have a really hard time pulling this off. And in the midst there's all sorts of fun stuff going on in here. They have a big cannibal stew going they have to like push a squirming hand back into it. And I really love the one witch who's she's like talking about how, yes, you'll be able to use the Medusa's head against against the krake in a titan against a titan and she's all excited about it. It really excited to deliver on the film's title.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, and I do love their disgusting cauldron of slop. There is very funny sound effects and when like a human hand reaches out of it, going like eh, and they just kind of like tuck it back in the shit. You quiet get down in there, all right. So next thing is they got to get the head of the Gorgon Medusa, so they crossed the river sticks to get to the island of the Gorgon. There is, of course a big battle. I'm not going to go into detail about everything about this bottle. You just need to watch it for yourself. But it is wonderfully atmospheric. It's very well paced. Like the lead up to it, a little things they see approaching her layer, the human shaped stone statues, the kind of crumble. Oh, and that, of course, we find out the Medusa has been working in the Kremlin with the two headed dog.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, the two headed dog. I think may have been cut from the Turner broadcast. They've probably cut it cut the movie for length, So I don't remember ever seeing the two headed dog when I watched it. Maybe I'm wrong on that. But it's a two headed dog instead of a three headed dog. It's not it's not Cerberus, but I think it's because it was too much work to do a three headed dog. That's what I've always read, so they went with two. They scaled it back a bit.
Speaker 2: I don't love the two headed dog fight because I don't know, I just always seeing somebody fight a dog, even a vicious one with the sword, always just makes me be like.
Speaker 1: Oh no, yeah, Like the movie doesn't lose anything to have that whole sequence cut, in my opinion. But setting aside the battle with the two headed dog, I would say the Island of the Dead sequence here where they find Medusa's layer, go in fight Medusa. Multiple soldiers get killed by Medusa. We have this fabulous stop motion Medusa. This whole sequence is just absolutely perfect. No matter what problems you know you might have with the rest of the picture and its tone and the lazy dming and Harry Hamlin's performance and being a bit green, I feel like everything's firing on all cylinders in this sequence. Even Harry Hamlin, I think is really good because he's he's he embodies this like hero sphere rather well. I think in this sequence, like it feels like there are actual stakes, even for the son of a god.
Speaker 2: Completely agree. Pretty much everything in this scene is pitch perfect. There are so many little details I love. I like how quiet it is. Actually. You would have expected the whole thing to be, you know, ramping up with like loud, intense music, but there are parts of it that are actually very quiet, and I love that it contributes to the creepy atmosphere, like the part before you see the gorgon, when they're looking for her and they're walking between the columns, and then suddenly you see her shadow go move into the move onto the wall, and there's this soft, almost silent slithering sound, just the sound of a snake, you know, moving over a stone and not even hissing yet, just just that little gliding, and you see the shadow with the snakes writhing in her hair, and oh it's so good.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah. The lighting is brilliant in all of this as well, so so many Harry Hamlin, not Herry Hamlin, Harry Housen scenes. You often have things going on in very like stark lighting, but in this sequence it's you know, it's a dark cavern with with fires lighting everything deep shadows and so forth. It's so good.
Speaker 2: Also, the moment when you see Medusa kind of activate her powers to turn one of the other soldiers to stone, where we zoom in on her face, which is horrifying, and her eyes glow green and the power emanates from her and then he's calcified. That is just It's a scene for the ages.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. I've also read, I don't know if this is true or not, but I've read that Harry Hamlin himself had to argue for the traditional beheading of the monster. I think there I had read read like some version of the script or the way they were going to shoot it was him throwing the shield and using it as a weapon. Supposedly it's like to have it be a little less gory for censors. And I don't know if this is true, but it said that Harry Hamlin was one of the ones was like, no, we should stick to the myth on this. I don't know, but at any rate, and if that is the case, I'm glad they did because it I can't imagine this sequence playing out any other way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then he and you can feel the danger in the scene even after he has beheaded her he's afraid. He's being very cautious because her blood is running out, and her blood, her blood is like it's like the blood of the Xenomorph and Alien. It's just this burning acid that melts his shield and he takes her head, but he's afraid. He's like careful not to accidentally even look at it. He's like holding it out of his view.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you mentioned Alien because Alien came out a few years earlier. And I feel like this sequence has some similarities to that final showdown on the Life vest Soul between Ripley and the xeno Morph. You know, the sense of intense danger, like the monster is so dangerous that the wrong move will just be absolutely lethal.
Speaker 2: I can see exactly what you mean. Yeah, that similarity is there, And they.
Speaker 1: Also both take it yes, fairly dressed.
Speaker 2: Yes, And the posture with which the hero is oriented to the monster with like with the back to it, but against you know, hiding behind an obstruction.
Speaker 1: And so when we finally finish up the Medusa secrets, it almost feels like we've done it. This is the end of the movie, right, Like it's just so satisfying, but we still have like a large chunk of the film to go at that point because they have to. This was just a side quest to get something to defeat the ultimate threat in the picture.
Speaker 2: Though I do think it is the highlight. But we yeah, we do get several other battles. There's a great battle. Calibos shows back up and attacks Perseus and his friends with scorpions, giant scorpions. This is your you know, this is about his classic Harry Housen is he get you know, stop motion scorpions come into your heroes and they have a big fight, and then Calibos comes in himself and they fight him. And Calabos is going he's bringing a whip, which is that's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as the whip, and he also he's replaced his hand with like a stabby tool which he used to like stab the medusa head, get it bleeding and the blood turned into scorpions on the ground.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Calibos is defeated in the end. And then finally, how is Perseus going to defeat the Kraken? While we see Andromeda, you know, they take her down to the shore. It's like, yep, too bad, We're gonna have to give you to the sea monster. And he pops up. Perseus at the last minute is able to unveil that gorgon head to show it right to the monster and just stone him.
Speaker 1: Up yeap, and then he crumbles, which is something I always liked and I reckon as a kid. I was thinking about. It's kind of like, Okay, the creature, its body can physically hold itself together while it's flesh, but once it becomes stone, like, it just begins to crumble, like it can no longer stand. I don't know. I always like that that detail.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it introduces the brittleness.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's very dramatic too. It's like, not only is the monster petrified, but now it crumbles into pieces. It's completely destroyed. And then we get like we do get a little sort of outro with the gods, which felt kind of weird because we've we've seen how how petty and cruel they are, and they just have this kind of bit where the other gods are like, well, you know, these human these mortals really showed how heroic and brave they can be. It's I hope there aren't too many brave ones, otherwise we're going to be out of a job and they're just They kind of have like a bemused laugh at all of this, but are also kind of like, yeah, humans are all right after all.
Speaker 2: And they all live happily ever after. Yeah, so I love Clash of the Titans.
Speaker 1: Oh absolutely, Yeah. This is a This one's near and dear to me. So it's great to finally discuss it here on Weird House Cinema. And like you say, maybe in the future will come back and look at another Harry hows and picture. We are good ones to choose from there. All right, we're gonna go ahead and wrap this one up, but yeah, we'd love to hear from everyone out there. Do you have memories of seeing Clash of the Titans on Turner Networks growing up like I do? Or did you see it in the theater? What was that like back in eighty one? Let us know. We'd love to hear from you. If you have suggestions for other films to cover in the future. Do you have favorite Harry hows and effects or monsters or favorite Hairy hous and movies? Yeah, write in we'll discuss it on listener mails, which publish on Mondays. We're primarily a science podcast, with core episodes on Tuesdays and Thursdays. On Wednesdays we do a short form artifact or monster fact, and then on Fridays we set aside most serious concerns to just talk about a weird film here on Weird House Cinema. And if you want to see a list of the films we've covered in the past, you can go to a couple of different places. I blog about these episodes at immutamusic dot com and also if you go to a letterbox that's l E T T E r box d dot com, well, we have a user account there weird House and we have a list of all the films we've covered and sometimes a peek ahead at what's coming up been the week to follow.
Speaker 2: Huge thanks to our audio producer JJ Posway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest a topic for the future, or just to say hi, you can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 3: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.