Speaker 1: This story contains adult content and language. Listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 2: They were to the point where they had to do it or not do it, so do I did do it or die and the person died.
Speaker 1: I'm Kate Winkler Dawson, a nonfiction author and journalism professor in Austin, Texas. I'm also the co host of the podcast Buried Bones on Exactly Right, and throughout my career, research for my many audio and book projects has taken me around the world. On Wicked Words, I sit down with the people I've met along the way, amazing writers, journalists, filmmakers, and podcasters who have investigated and reported on notorious true crime cases. This is about the choices writers make, both good and bad, and it's a deep dive into the unblush details behind their stories. One of the most famous crimes in American history was the murder of fourteen year old Bobby Frank. Two young men, Nathan Leopold and Richard Loeb, wanted to plan the perfect murder, but they didn't. Author Hal Higden wrote the book on this case called Leopold and Loeb, The Crime of the Century. Now tell me how you even got started with this story? What intrigued you about it? First? Before we unravel the story a little bit like a mystery, is how I like to do it?
Speaker 2: Well, actually the story was handed to me. Another author had begun work on a book on Leopold and Law, but then he blocked and couldn't finish the assignment. So pauler Menton, who was then the president of DV Putdams and also Norman Miler's editor, went out looking for another author. And I had written a book about the Civil War and had done a couple of books for but them, so I was out there waiting. My agent asked me if I would like to do the book, and I said sure, and put a lot of work into it. And the book somehow has had legs as hung around all these years.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that's thanks to both your writing and the story, which I still find fascinating. When we get into it, people will find out more about it. But it's still such a mystery about how these two young men, and I didn't realize how young they were, how these two young men came together to come up with this idea that to me is so disturbing. So what are the themes that you think you explore when you tell the story.
Speaker 2: Well, the problem is we got a couple of very right individuals who were sort of almost like gamers. They were looking for something to exploit their intelligence. They had gotten together in each other on a trip to charl Boyd, a summer residence the log family, and started out by believe it or not, cheating at Bridge. The one thing wasn't led to another miner's burglary of Love's fraternity house at the University of Michigan, and then literally almost a dare to see if they commit the perfect crime. Their detective fans just like a lot of people, and they're watching now. But they just sort of took it out the wrong way, and by the end of the story a young boy lay dead.
Speaker 1: Do you know enough about their individual backgrounds for us to separate them? And we start with, you know Nathan Leopold, and you tell me what you know about him up until this happens where he makes this agreement to murder a young boy. What do we know about Leopold?
Speaker 2: Here's a bright young boy I chose supposedly of two hundred twenty almost out of the ballpark, were also a burder. He was actually a creative birdwatcher and had written papers about the Kirtland warbler, a bird that he apparently discovered after a lot of people thought it was extinct. And he went to the part of School for Boys, which is a school of a private school on the south side of Chicago and everybody I knew very well myself and went on to the University of Michigan with Loeb, but Lobe was sort of rushed him off, so Leopold returned, went to the University of Chicago, graduated with a degree when I believe he was like eighteen years old, and enrolled in law school. Basically, I was a student at the university where I attended briefly, both in high school and in graduate school. Loban got together, and that's crime to one from there.
Speaker 1: Now, tell me about Richard Loeb, who I don't know very much about. What did you find out in your reporting about his life before he encounters Nathan Leopold.
Speaker 2: Well, but again was bright, not quite as bright, but one hundred and eighty one hundred and sixty, I believe, I to you, which is I can't even begin to imagine. Don't ask me my ito. He was going in high school, he went to the Laboratory School of Chicago what we called you High back when, and the same school that I had gone to and graduated from. So there have been a lot of comparisons. Why it made it very easy meat for write about the boy in the neighborhood and again very very bright, but pretty much so Briat, who was a super social Well there I get sob i ate to use the real word for what he was, went on to the Unis Michigan. They had actually known Leopold when they were both about fifteen, but it didn't pay much attend to Leopold that Michigan, which caused Leopold to head back to Chicago.
Speaker 1: So they know each other. What do you think drew them to each other? Was it this extreme intelligence? Did they did you feel like they had very similar personalities and they sort of fed off each other. Because I often wonder about killers who work in pairs and what connects them, what drives them to stay together, and if they would even have done this if they were just working as individuals.
Speaker 2: Well, they were geniuses, they were lovers. Their families were wealthy, which led to trying to collect a ransom for a kidnapping part of the plot that they did and more or less was can I do this? Can you do that? And dary each other over a period of two three four months coming up with the plot, which itself was was the fun that they found out the fund where they decided they were going to kidnap a young boy, kill him, try to collect a ransom money from the parents, and it was just sort of the evil act.
Speaker 1: Well, let's start with the boy who turns out to be our victim, who is a boy named Bobby Franks. He's fourteen years old. Before we talk about what happens to him, tell me what we know about Bobby Franks and his family and what kind of kid he is.
Speaker 2: Well, like the Leopold and the Lot families, the family was wealthy kind of wood back at that time. Who's the resident leader would be Barack Obama was a very wealthy neighborhood. It's where the wealthy people landed once they had left the areas further north downtown and before they migrated to the suburb Island Park, So that brought them together. And again to me, it was a very very familiar neighborhood too, because I didn't live in the Kenwood area. I lived in another area on the south Stude of Chicago South Shore, but I was very familiar with the neighborhood because I went to school there for several years. So that threw them together, and they both started there each other before you knew it, the time of the century had begun.
Speaker 1: What do you think their dynamic was. I mean, you said that they were lovers. I'm assuming number one, this is secret. This is nineteen twenty four, so they're not exposing this, Am I assuming correctly that this was secret or relationship between them?
Speaker 2: You are assuming very very correctly. This was something that would not today, you know, would not be thought much off the fact that there might be to high school college a students who were almo sexual back then, who was unheard of, and so it was not something they bragged about.
Speaker 1: So they are making plans and they want to commit essentially the perfect crime. Is the money important to them, the ransom money, or is it just literally the challenge can we get away with it? And the excitement of all of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, the money was totally inconsequential. I mean, if either of them had wanted the twenty thousand dollars to maybe buy a new car or do something else prediculous. The parents would have made that money available to them, so it certainly was not money. Money was started the score that would have proved that they had succeeded in their crime. And they've been able to make it the perfect crime and make fools of everybody in the city of Chicago or the policeman, the state's attorneys, and the achieve of fame that only the two of them knew about. It would be their little secret.
Speaker 1: Tell me about what happens, step by step with as much detail as you can think of. How does this start? They've planned for several months, How do they decide when this is going to happen? And then what happens?
Speaker 2: Well, the two of us got together and had all of their plans going. They had discovered how one could run a car. They had a secret location in one of the Chicago hotels, so they could check into the hotel and establish an identity so if they went into a rental tar place, they could use that identity to rent a car, so they wouldn't have to use either of their car. This is again the devising things like this. Going into a hardware store around Fortieth Street in Chicago and buying a shizzle that they would wrap and turn into a budge and so they could strike of the victim. These were all the games that they were playing, identifying another drug store on sixty third Street in Chicago where there was a couple of telephone they had telephone booths back in that era, and they could call the victim mister Franks, actually the victim father who hadn't even an identified it not and get him through a game literally where they would guide him to taking the money ransom money and getting it to them where nobody would be able to follow his movements. So again, these game was a game. It was a game that's sort of like the game that the kids doing now. And so eventually the plot went and they were to the point where they had to do it or not do it. They were realterally the point where if they hadn't found the boy within the next thirty minutes, they would have stopped and Leopold would go off to Europe on vacation, which was part of his plan. So sort of they didn't do it or die, and the person died in.
Speaker 1: The age, how did they find Bobby Franks. They didn't know him beforehand, right.
Speaker 2: Well, actually no, they did. It was a small neighborhood. Everybody knew everybody else, and so Leopold and low would definitely have known Bobby Frank's effect. I think Bobby France sometimes even played tennis on the Loew's father's tennis sports so it was a familiar person. Although it really didn't matter because they had been scouting out various victims. They had their rental tower and they were driving around the Harvard School where a baseball game was going on, and Bobby Franks was serving as the umpire to take part of the game, and he started walking home. They looked at a couple of other boys in and around the neighborhood that they saw who they spotted at first, but when they turned the car around to go get him, he had disappeared. So there was a matter of total chance that Bobby Franks would be walking down the street down to his parents' home and Leopold and Loba saw him, went past him, turned around, came back. Lob I believe it was who rolled down the window and shouted for Bobby to ask him, Hey, would you like a ride home? And it would have been normal for Bobby to just jump in the car, because Lowe was in quotes from the neighborhood. So Bobby Franks got into the front seat with one of the murderers driving, the other murder in the back seat. And I'm not using a name because even today we don't know who is the actual person who hit Bobby Franks and committed the crime. So by that time it was quickly, even almost before they had gotten down to the next block, the blow was struck, and they drove out to an area that if you've ever driven into Chicago on the Skyway, there's a place Wolf Lake on both sides of the road. Wasn't there back then in nineteen twenty four, but within a quarter mile or so the Skyway, the lakes merged and there's a railroad tracks back there. So all this had been scanned in advance, and there was a matter just dragging about the dead body by now and stuffing him into a culvert and expecting that maybe the body would never be found, or at least not found for days or weeks or when it's probably even years.
Speaker 1: For people who don't know, just quickly explain what a culvert is and why I have read so many stories about bodies being hidden in culverts.
Speaker 2: And so basically it would be a long round two the two that would allow the water to move from Wolf Lake through the tube and into the next body of water, which ironically was about a half life away for where one of my cousins lived, and so I knew the area very well. Leopald knew the area very well because he was a burder and usually once a week he would take students from the laboratory school again my high school, take them burning out to the lake, and that was part of what he did. And he knew in the area very very very familiar, and that was part of their kidnap plot.
Speaker 1: So did you get the impression. I know that we've we've already said that they are really focused on pulling off the perfect crime, and we sort of just said it was kind of one hit from one of them, we don't know who, and that's it. Did you get the impression there was any sort of gratification from either of them around the actual murder, not the planning or the cover up, but the actual Did they get a little bit of a thrill out of that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think it was the planning. Basically, they were all detective stories. You know, this is back in the area of Pulp six, and they had all sorts of publications basically or into that detective genre, if you might, and that was part of their their scheme would be to create a crime then would be the equal of the crimes that they read about, and in some respects they even mimic the crimes of I'm not a mistake. In the ransom note was a note that they had plagiarized from one of their detective magazine. So there's nothing about these two to light.
Speaker 1: So is this broad daylight? He's walking home after refereeing this baseball game, right, I mean, is this at dusk or what time of day is this? It seems very brazen to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it certainly must have been light. I mean, this is what five point thirty in the afternoon, it is still would have been very much daylight. And as a matter of fact, if I remember correctly, Leopold the lobe even claused with the dead body in the tront until it got dark so that they could go and not be observed while they were about what they were doing. Actually, as I said, you know, Leopold was a burner. He was very familiar with the area. He probably realized that they're could be other birds there. At the same time, they didn't want to blow their their crime that way, so they waited until it was dark and went in there with the body and that we as we dis discussed in the culvert and uh, and then they headed back home to continue the crime. The following day.
Speaker 1: When does Bobby Franks' his family become alarmed when he doesn't show up for dinner.
Speaker 2: I'm assuming, yeah, there wereried he's not there, and they make a few phone calls to see if they can find out where they were, and they discovered that he was seen at the baseball game, and everybody suddenly loses his track home he so basically Body Franks disappear is only to be discovered the following day. And at that time, the mister Franks was with his attorney and they were wondering what they should do. They didn't know whether they should call the police or not. And suddenly they get a phone call and a person identifies himself by a fictitious name, and he tells mister Frank's attorney it's asked to speak to Body Frank's father tells him that they had body he is safe, although that was a lie, and that they would return him safely if they would pay twenty five thousand dollars, I believe, And so the crime was continued, and they had this all plotted out where they would take mister Frank's almost on a scavenger hunt, where they would ask him to go to a drug store on the sixty third Street, tell him to go down to the only central station at twelfth Street, get on a nice sea train I see as we called it back then, and get on the back of the train, and when the train came past sixty fifth or one of the streets near there, to throw the ransom money out the window or off the back of the train, and if the money were collected that way, then Bobby Franks would be returned unarmed. But the pot began to unravel because Leopold Or told mister Franks where the drug store was that he was supposed to go, and I believe the attorney was sitting in on the phone call as well, and they suddenly realized they had forgotten the name of the drug store or work it was they were going. So they were trapped because there was no way that they could send Bobby Franks's father on the next leg of the scavenger hunt, so the crime was really sort of busted at that point, and eventually the body was discovered within hours rather not within days or weeks.
Speaker 1: So Bobby Franks goes missing late afternoon, early evening, his father is alarmed. Leopold and Loebe are realistically, in your opinion, feeling like confident that this body is not going to be found anytime soon. Would putting a body in that culvert, would that realistically have been out of sight for a while? Were they right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, to a certain point, true, But the problem was that the colvert wasn't that big, so when they tried to stuff the body in, the legs were stating out. But you know, they didn't think anybody was going to because this is an obscure place, fire from fire from anything. You know. Now we have the sky away and the cars whizzing by to get tour from Chicago. Back then, and it was basically a near wilderness with only the burdeners really and the fishermen to populate the area. So they were trying to lure mister Franks into going to the drug store, taking him to the icy station, having him throw the money out and they would obscure them with the money, which is their score. You know, that's how they kicked the three point field goal, got the money. But if money didn't really mean anything to accept the score that they were able to achieve.
Speaker 1: Okay, So a couple of things. One just to be clear, mister Frank's got this phone call before Bobby's body was discovered. Is that right?
Speaker 2: I believe that's through.
Speaker 1: Yes, How much are they asking for again?
Speaker 2: I believe it was twenty four thousand dollars that they were trying to get, and you know that's so in money for somebody as wealthy as the people they are dealing with.
Speaker 1: So you know they snatch him in daylight. They are picking someone who has it sounds like a family that would be very alarmed if he doesn't show up at home, and they have not taken the time to figure out that this kid's body is not going to fit correctly in the culvert that they are hoping is going to cover up the body for a long enough time where they can achieve getting this ransom money. Does this to you prove that you can be incredibly BookSmart or naturally intelligent and not be at all streets smart or logical when you're pulling off something like this.
Speaker 2: Exactly, And continuing the story, what happens is the sun comes up the next morning. One of the workers in the ice factory back then people sold chunks of ice was wandering home from his job and cutting across the area wolf Lake and happens to glance down into the connecting canal and goes from one leg to the other and sees what it appears to be a footstep out, goes down there, yanks the body out of the culvert, realizes that the individual is dead. It does not know what to do, but it goes up to put the culvert where a railroad track is now a bike path by the way, goes over the colvert, and at that time several railroad workers in a handcart are tunning the lawn the track. He finds them down, tells them that there's dead boy there. And what they do is they put the body of Boddy Franks on the railroad card and then they card him to the next intersection and take him in I believe, to a funeral parlor nearby and call the police. And at that time the Franks have been revealed themselves to the police. They were slow in doing so because they were afraid that that would blow it. Leopold figured, well, there was a full proof scheme, so they didn't have any hesitation about getting identified or they were wrong.
Speaker 1: Okay, so where are we in the stage of this supposed kidnapping. Bobby Frank's father now realizes that he's dead, and what do investigators say? We need follow through on this because the killers don't know that we know that Bobby Franks is dead. They're trying to extort money out of you. Is that sort of what happens going forward? They want to continue with the ruse so that they can catch these guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what pretty much happened is that the news has spread among the police that there's a body been found out there. So we have a missing person and a dead body. Pretty easy to put them together. So the Frank's family sent one of the uncles out to the funeral home to make an identification of the body. So he called back and said, yes, it's Bobby. So at that point the money collection was not going to happen. Now, what I forgot to tell you for a few minutes is while all these people were still at wolf Like, they noticed down on the ground for a pair of glasses, so didn't think too much about the time. But the worker picked up pair of glasses put in the pocket because he thought, well, maybe he might need them at some time. And when they finally did get the police did come, he admitted that he had a pair of glasses, and it was realizing that it might have been the glasses that belonged to the killer. So this would be one of the first little little links of evidence that would bring eventually, about ten days later, the police to Nathan Leopold's door.
Speaker 1: Now let's talk about the glasses, because these were not your standard present day CBS glasses. These were special glasses, right right.
Speaker 2: You know, when I go to CBS, I pay fourteen dollars and ninety five cents for a pair of glasses. But these are a somewhat unique pair of glasses that had a unique ends on the glasses. And it turns out that Olmer Cole, the glass company that was still around when I was growing up with the saw sat at Chicago, had records all the glasses must have been high style glasses that they sold, and there were only three people in the city of Chicago who apparently had glasses similar that that had this special little shape that put this part of the eye to the real glasses. So they were identify the three people, one of which was Nathan Leopold. The other two people, I won't don't want to say they had iron clad alibiz but I think one of those even off on a trip. But they really pretty much was down to the fact that the glasses didn't come from Leopold christ There was no proof that they disiplicated him as a murderer because he showed up in that area of the city of Chicago all the time with his murder. He was able to say that, oh, he had a pair of glasses, and he fell down while he was out there in the area, and the glasses must have filled out of his pocket. And he didn't realize this. And this was a week ago, and I had realized that the glasses had been lost, and so the state's attorney, attorney Crow, I asked them, well, here, fall down and see if the glasses come out. So Leopold fell down on the ground and the glasses remained in the pocket. And then he tried a second time for the third time, the glasses didn't come out, and so that seemingly hit it on gim. Ironically, when I was going out examining the area once, I had a pair of glasses in my pocket. I stuck them into the pocket of whatever it was I had on at that time, and I was out running to go from the murder area to where I'd parked my car, and it happened to trip, fell down into the mud, got muddle all over me, and my glasses fell up. I had to go back to retrieve them afore as they were footsteps all over the place. So basically, you know, they weren't realizing all of the things, the crazy things that can happen. And about a quarter century or so ago, the Chicago Historical Society had an exhibit about the Leopold and Low case with all the pictures and photographs and other items from the case, and one of the items that they still had it was in state's evidence, was the original pair of glasses sitting on all of Historical Society. I'm not sure if the glasses have survived because theoretically, mostly exposed to freyer, they might have crumbled. But there were many, so many things that Leopold and Lowe could not imagine we're liable to happen, and by that time the police would come knocking on their door.
Speaker 1: Were those glasses the main thing that led them to at least Nathan Leopold or was there anything else that pointed directly at at least him to have them show up at his door.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it was mostly the glasses that, yeah, did bring the police to his door. But as we pointed out, they were easy to come up with the alibi he could have been in that area and the glasses regardless, so they wouldn't fall out at the status Hurry's office. But what happened later was that they went to so Fur, who drove Leopold's logo around, and it turned out that we're talking to the Leopolds. So Fur and he determined the fact that the boys did not have their regular car that day, that there was a strange car that they were driving, the rental car that they'd gotten, so that the car would not have been identified. And so that was sort of the next link that led them to the murderer, and so bit by bit, their beautiful, beautiful plant started falling apart, so that after a good several hours of interrogation by the police, by these state's attorney, the two murderers confessed.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've got these two guys, who I'm assuming are very surprised. What are their confessions like when they talked to the police, and do we think they were coerced at all? Or were they just presented with his evidence and they just said, okay, we give up.
Speaker 2: Pretty much, they gave up. And again, this was before the Miranda Act, which would have caused Clarence Narrow to stow up about half a day earlier than he did and would have told the boys to stop talking. That may or may not have prevented them from being identified as the murderers. They eventually confessed, and yeahter one person confessed, and they walked next door to the separate room where the other one was being held and revealed the fact that Loan, I believe, confessed and here's what he said about al you did this and I did that. And Leopold then to the similar confess that say, well, there's one thing that Low told Roan. He tried to say that I killed Bobby Franks, but actually it was he who wielded the camera. He was in the back seat. I was driving the car, and he was the one who killed Bobby Franks. And of course the other one will say pretty much the same thing. And to this day we don't know for sure that Leopold was the blow or Low was a blow. Of course, it didn't make any different They were both guilty the under the law. But that's sort of one of the mysteries of the case that had remained unsolved and will remain unsolved forever.
Speaker 1: So despite their relationship, their you know, physical relationship, they ended up ultimately turning on each other. Is that right, That's true.
Speaker 2: And so basically they were against each other. But of course they couldn't avoid each other because within a short time they were going to be brought to the court and sitting next to each other while all the evidence was laid out. They couldn't really avoid each other, so they started having mended of fences. It's so to speak, you know.
Speaker 1: We just interviewed an author who was telling a much more contemporary story set in Kentucky, where you have two people who are tried for murder. We don't know who the killer is. We just know these are two people who killed someone else. They are tried separately, and it sounds like the first one was convicted and so the second one was able to say, well, you've already convicted this guy. I'm not the killer. We only know one person did it. Did they choose to try them together because of that?
Speaker 2: I suspect the police wanted to try them together in a single setting. It's a lot easier rather than having fourteen defendants and trying him in fourteen cases. What's just happening today, so that they're basically were Roddy leafart together and they were pretty much like joined at the hips for all the rest of their life.
Speaker 1: So while they were on trial, they were in the same jail or the same jail cell.
Speaker 2: I believe they're in the same jail. I don't know if they were in the same cell, although it wouldn't surprise me to Whatever they wanted is pretty much they've got. You know, you're talking about wealthy people who all they needed to do would be to ask their father for money, for which they would buy the favors that they could better get better meals sent to the jail. They could hand out money to fellow tonics for protect us necessary. So money was buying everything at this case, including money buying, the fameals samous attorney who supposedly and underline that supposedly was going to get a million dollars for the defense.
Speaker 1: Well, I want to hear about reactions, and so I want to start with the reaction of Loban Leopold's families. Were they shocked? Did they think that this was not possible? They so obviously supported him, he said.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they had to, And basically they didn't want to turn their backs on and if I'm not mistake in, Love's mother still didn't want to believe the fact that her son could have been a killer. Pretty much she left town, went up to Charldboy and hung out there during the case, just as frankst although I also was basically distraught the fact that they had lost the boy, but distraught possibly also because the story of his murder was being broadcast day after day after day after day by the heart of journalists who crammed into the card room. He was the thing that everybody's totally focused on.
Speaker 1: How were Leopold and loebe framed in the media, good looking, wealthy gay trying to pull off the perfect murder? Is that what the combination was that enthrolled the media, Well.
Speaker 2: Pretty much. They were trying to be examined as much as they could, So there are so many strings that you could attach the story to. Particular when they got the alienists, the psychiatrists involved, and basically the information was being fed the trial, but the reporters were taking reporting it outside the trial. So basically they were pretty much reported as as evil monsters, and that's what the public wanted to hear.
Speaker 1: Now, you said earlier you talked about red flags with the alienists who took the stand after examining both of these young men, tell me what they found. What were their determination of what was wrong with them? I don't know if there's any easier way to say it, why they would do this? What did the alienists say?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm thinking the alienists, I'm not sure any of them regat the story. Right. Leopold and Love literally the loved being the center of attention. They loved being interviewed by the alienists and revealing all their secrets, their evil things. The fact that there was a governess who would take care of Leopold when he was young, and maybe the governess was part of the reason that he had turned out the way he did. So everybody had a theory. There were drawings that would appear in the paper of the skulls of the boys, of the circle around the brain area. I asked whether there was some different type of brain that would have malfunctionally caused them to do these evil things. So there was plenty of juicy information for the ailieness on both sides to explore. Try to explore, try to understand what the pair were doing.
Speaker 1: So were they going for the nsanity defense in this case both of them?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Attorney Crow wanted them to hang. He was looking for a hanging jury. Of course, it was a jury of one because Darrow having pleaded the two of them guilty, there was no need to have a jury. The question was was the guilt enough so that they could be brought to justice?
Speaker 1: And on the next Okay, so you've intrigued me a little bit with this story of the governess. And you said, this was Richard Loeb's governess, and is the insinuation that she was abusive in some way?
Speaker 2: Well that's the theory. You know, everybody came up with the coca theory. So they were all sorts of witnesses or people who were telling their side of the story, a couple of shady ladies who supposedly wanted to prove the yellow Richard Lowe and I were out dancing that day rather than he wasn't off of anything. So there was sort of a circus going through at the card room at that time, and the reporters sort of eagerly trying to come up with new angles to fill their story out of CNN was not around at that time, but typically what one might expect to get from the broadcast networks we have today to the paper networks we had back in the nineteen twenty four. So some of the information that it was sort of salacious and not fit for anybody to hear, particularly if any women were in the card room at that time. So the judge would bring the attorneys up to talk to them, and they would whisper very closely, and the reporters would lean forward trying to find out what was being said so they could report it to their riatas the next day. It was just literally a fascinating story that one could not invent.
Speaker 1: Were either of these young men at all phased by this? Were they not scared that they were going to end up either at the gallows or spending the rest of their lives in prison. Or did they seem sort of emboldened in a way after they were caught and they confessed.
Speaker 2: Well, I think they were probably bold about it. In otherwise they felt they're guilty and they're famous, and oh boy, we're going to have Clarence Darrow. So I think there was sort of a sense of their status that their parents said them the best lawyer in the world. So they were sort of into the trials fascinated by it, probably blanked out on the fact that I just found guilty that they might just set away either for life in prison or for death in prison.
Speaker 1: So ultimately they had confessed and their attorney had plugged guilty on their behalf, and this was a discussion about whether or not with the judge making a decision about the penalty phase and what was their best hope that they were going to spend life in prison or was there any sense that their attorney had said, I might be able to get you less than that, maybe twenty years at the most.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I doubt if there was any hope. I was saying, I've been discovery such a anus crime. It sort of like a crime without a votive as it was. You know, they were given in life plus ninety nine years.
Speaker 1: How did the public react to that? So they were not hanged, which, as I bet the media was demanding. Did the public think that this was a miscarriage of justice or did this seem like a fair sentence?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I suspect the public moved on to the next penous murder.
Speaker 1: Well, I know I believe the way the rest of this story goes, but a lot of people might not. So they are both sentenced to life in prison, natural life in prison, right, and they have very different endings both of these men.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Christ life plus ninety nine years meant that they are never going to get out of prison suppositively. But they went down to Jelliet and they were good gamers of the system. So Richard Lull and Nathan Leopold had access to that same good guy rule where I went in and saw the two mass murderers. They pretty much figured out that as he played around and gained the system, you could have comfort. So Chars Leopold was able to finance whatever extra better meals that he got in prison and again also protect him of Chars. What happened? Is that? Fast forward ten years now Richard Loeb is taking a sour and another prisoner comes in with a knife and hats and the pieces. He dies. Leopoldo continues on through the forties, where he gets involved in a research study for malaria and mostuitos Curry's favor for the various people who might give him a parole, and he eventually hissed parole, goes off to Puerto Rico spends the rest of his life there.
Speaker 1: I mean, how is that even possible? This man who planned a murder of a stranger, and is it just forgotten? And because he was so pivotal to this research that they decided to give him parole. How long was he in prison for before he was released.
Speaker 2: Until about nineteen seventy or so, So he spent several decades in prison, but every second year or so he had the right to appear in front of a parole board and they would hear in the case. At some point for all board said well, it's time he's suffering that and he seems to be rehabilitated, and we'll let him go. And so with the content that he basically pretty much disappears. So Leopold was able to go down to Puerto Rico, where he got out that job and not a hospital, and pretty much and the next half a dozen or so years even got married down there. But he'd learned how to live with the system down there as well as he had all through his life.
Speaker 1: Silly questioned, but married to a woman I'm assuming.
Speaker 2: Dirty, Yeah, that was their name. I don't think the fact that he was gay was publicized that much, so the fact that he would have married a woman was not that shocking. People would have not given it a lot of thought. Also, I think that by that time Leopold and certainly a little bit disappeared off of the screens of most people living in Chicago. Nathan Leopold, Oh, wasn't he that guy that murdered that kid? What's he doing these days? And he's still in Brisidon ninety nine years that he might make it to age ninety nine, but nobody was expected to. So he waves goodbye to Juliet, and to a certain extent, waves away goodbye to whatever was happening until somebody in mind by the name of Meyer Levin writes a book titled Compulsion. It's a work of fiction where they disguise the names of the people now became a best seller and they pulls back in the public side for a while. Didn't like and even tried to sue the author. Didn't succeed on that, but the crimeula century hadn't met it down.
Speaker 1: Now I'm going to circle back to something I asked you as we're wrapping up this episode. I'm going to circle back to the question of taken separately Leopold and Low if they had never met, do you think anything like this would have happened? Or did it take the two of them meet and talking about this fantasy for that to trigger it? Did they have the do you think ability separately to do this on their own?
Speaker 2: I can answer that question very easily. No. I think the two of them coming together was basically like the atonic bomb, was the spark that set off the explosion? And had they not come together accidentally, I suppose they both lived in the same neighborhood, but not really close together. They went to different schools high schools at that time, so no, they might not have met. And taking that one step further, ABOUDI Frank is if he hung around the school a little bit longer at the baseball game. They might not have spotted him five point thirty six o'clock getting dark. They probably would have just gone home, and not having succeeded in their game, they probably would have moved on for the rest of their lives. So, yeah, you're exactly right. Yeah, you nailed it right on the head.
Speaker 1: So what is the lesson that we've learned here? Because the most frustrating stories, to me, the most frustrating killers to understand, would be the Leopold and Lobe, which I don't run into very often. It just doesn't make any sense. I even understand serial killers in their motivations. I understand money, I understand greed, sex, you know, sexual depravity, the need for control, But this just seems so randomized. Is that why we're fascinated with this case?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you also understand somebody walking into a school with a repeater gun and killing a couple of dozen people, not just one person. So we live in an evil world.
Speaker 1: So this last question, what is the legacy which is probably not the right word for Leopold and Lobe, the memory of the stinch of what they've left behind. What is that in just a couple of sentences, what do we learn from it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we learned that we're probably never safe. I think this is a thing that scares there and a lot of mothers on the South Side of Chicago, the fact that it could have been there boy walking down the street and happen to be the victim. I think that's the thing that we try to do the best we can. We fasten our seat belts and do all the good things that we learned to do on the internet. But still there is no excuse for what happens, and no excuse for Leopold and Low Committee the utterly de pray crime that they did commit.
Speaker 1: If you love historical true crime stories, check out the audio versions of my books The Ghost Club, All That Is Wicked and American Sherlok and Don't Forget There are twelve seasons of my historical true crime podcast Tenfold More Wicked right here in this podcast feed, scroll back and give them a listen if you haven't already. This has been an exactly right production. Our senior producer is Alexis a Morosi. Our associate producer is Christina Chamberlain. This episode was mixed by John Bradley. Curtis Heath is our composer, artwork by Nick Toga, Executive produced by Georgia Hardstark, Karen Kilgarriff and Danielle Kramer. Follow Wicked Words on Instagram at tenfold More Wicked and on Facebook at Wicked Words Pod.