Speaker 1: According to CBS News, Apple shareholders on Tuesday.
Speaker 2: Just yesterday rejected a proposal.
Speaker 1: To end the iphonemaker's diversity, equity and inclusion programs and responded to the anti DEI proposal. Apple defended its diversity program as an integral part of its corporate culture, crediting the policies in part for making the technology is not the most valuable company in the world. Here's where Apple CEO Tim cooks at the defense of the policy.
Speaker 2: Quote We've never had quoters of targets for Apple.
Speaker 1: Our strength has always come from hiring the very best people and then providing a culture of collaboration. But our north star of dignity and respect for everyone, and our work to that end will never waiver.
Speaker 2: End quote. However, could concede that the company may need.
Speaker 1: To revise aspects of its diversity policies as the legal landscape around DEI evolves. Meanwhile, President Trump continue to call for Apple to scrap the program.
Speaker 2: You know he was going to do that. In a post on.
Speaker 1: Truth Social Trump wrote, quote, Apple should get rid of de I rules, not just make adjustments for to them, de I was a hoax that has been very bad for our country. DEI is gone. That is according to the President Donald Trump. Let me be very clear about what I'm sick of. I'm sick of the truth being camouflaged when it's over this whole DEI matter. I really, really am because I got to tell you something right now. It's getting on my last nerves and I'm trying to to really avoid losing my patience. Okay, this is where I'm coming from with this, y'all. I'm just looking something up to make sure I have it right. I'm really trying to be cool about this because I do think it's important.
Speaker 2: I'm sick and.
Speaker 1: Tired of be a DEI being associated with black people, and I'm sick and tired of seeing black folks out there complaining over DEI like it's the end, like it's eventual departure is the end of the world. There are congressional figures who have stated for the record that white women are the biggest beneficiaries of DEI, just as they were the biggest beneficiaries of Affirmative Action, and second on that list are Asian Americans. So I'm sitting here and I'm saying not to act like there haven't been black folks who have benefited from affirmative action or DEI. I'm saying, why is it that our culture is attached to it? Why are we not mentioned in the fact that white women are the biggest beneficiaries of it.
Speaker 2: We live in America.
Speaker 1: White folks make up fifty seven point four percent of the population last time I checked, if not lower than that right now. But it's still a white power system, primarily a white male power structure. White women have benefited, so the eradication of DEI, one would argue, would politly affect them more than it would affect anybody else since they're the biggest beneficiaries from it, Which means that white men like Donald Trump, who decided, along with Elon Musk and others to eradicate DEI, did so at the expense of white women. Why is that story not being told. Why is it coming to cross as if it's associated.
Speaker 2: With black folks.
Speaker 1: Why the words unqualified or incompetent or not up for the job and stuff like that, Why is that coming through the screens?
Speaker 2: Why is that what everybody's.
Speaker 1: Talking about, particularly when they're talking.
Speaker 2: About minorities in this country? Oh, I forgot white women are considered a minority in this country.
Speaker 1: That's how they did benefit from affirmative action and d EI. I'm just asking, why don't we talk about it. If we're going to talk about the subject and we're gonna be transparent, why don't we be honest about it?
Speaker 2: Kind of annoys me that we don't now to a whole bunch of people out there.
Speaker 1: I apologize if I'm wrong, because I have seen a couple of articles proclaiming that white women are not the biggest beneficiaries of affirmative action and DEI. But throughout years, especially decades, when it came to folks talking about affirmative action, make no mistake about it, white women would deem the biggest beneficiaries. And people are still saying that now, although there are articles to deny it, to say that's not true, whatever case you want to make, there is no denying that black folks aren't the only folks that are benefiting from DEI, that minorities are not the only folks benefiting from DEI, meaning.
Speaker 2: Folks other than white folks.
Speaker 1: Why is it that we're always associated with it, especially when words like unqualified come into the frame. That's what I'm saying. Of course, as I look here and they talk about who's going to follow. Nobody's sure who's expected to follow Apple in terms of their thinking. But other companies that confirm the commitment to DEI and the wake of the election and some of the orders being handed down by Trump, Ben and Jerry's, Costco, Delta Airlines, JP, Morgan Chase, Microsoft, and Patagonia, those were folks, uh, the companies rather that confirmed commitment to DEI. Moving forward from Axios, many more companies appear to be pulling back DEI efforts, including Amazon, Boeing, Disney, Ford, Goldman, Sachs, Google, McDonald's, Meta, Nissan, Target, Toyota, Walmart. All I ask is that if we're gonna talk about it, let's talk about it. Let's address it with the honesty and fervency it deserves.
Speaker 2: That's all I ask.
Speaker 1: That's all I ask, because I really really think at the end of the day, that's gonna be necessary. If we're gonna get it right, that's what we should want to do.