Speaker 1: This episode of Frida Egg Stories is brought to you by the US Open Victory Club. So to celebrate the upcoming US Open Week, the Victory Club has teamed up with the Frida Egg to give away four ticket packages. Each of these has two tickets for Saturday and Sunday at the one hundred and twenty first US Open at Tory Pines in twenty twenty one. The Victory Club is the official fan club for US Open fans. Membership is free again free, and you'll get access to exclusive US Open content, virtual fan experiences, offers and discounts, and events at the championship and throughout the year. So to enter the sweepsticks, join the Victory Club at Usopen dot com slash Victory Club, complete your profile and answer podcast to the question how did you hear about the Victory Club? Again? That's Usopen dot com slash Victory Club.
Speaker 2: The Frida Egg requires a different technique. What you need to do is actually square the face so it'll dig down underneath that bad lie and propel that ball right out onto the green. Here's the thing. Playing out of a buried lion of bunker is completely different than playing out of a nice, clean lion a greenside bunker.
Speaker 3: You need to be aggressive on any shop, whether it's sitting cleanly or it's Frida Egg.
Speaker 1: Well, we've all faithd it, the dreaded Frida Egg.
Speaker 4: Not to be feared, though.
Speaker 2: It's actually a pretty easy shot to hit.
Speaker 1: So are you recording on your on your zoom i am recorder?
Speaker 3: It is rolling?
Speaker 1: Okay, So if we could just get started with the with local rules.
Speaker 3: Okay. Do you want me to say local rules? Yes, okay, local rules. Do not take this book too seriously. It is about grown men, most of whom are in a living by swinging long sticks in small balls. In other words, it is about golf, and golf is neither a microcosm of nor a metaphor for life. My name is Jeremy Shapp. I host a few shows at ESPN outside Lines in the sixty and my father Dick Shapp, wrote a book about the nineteen seventy four US Open at Wingfoot. The name of the book has become synonymous with not only that tournament, but also with the course of which always played. The name of the book was Massacre Foot.
Speaker 2: All right, can you hear me?
Speaker 1: I can hear you? How you doing.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, let's see. I'm hayl Irwin, longtime PGA Tour professional and an advocate of great golf for everyone.
Speaker 1: So Wingfoot nineteen seventy four. Can you just tell me a little bit about seeing and playing that course for the first time that week?
Speaker 2: Oh boy, try to put some of those nightmares away.
Speaker 1: So this is Friday Egg Stories. I'm Garrett Morrison. Today we go back to a time of woundcore balls and persimmon headed drivers, the time when the USGA handed the winner of its marquee event a check of thirty five thousand dollars instead of two million. The nineteen seventy four US Open, held at Wingfoot Golf Club has become a touchstone in the debate over what a golf championship should be. Depending on your perspective, It's either the US Open at its best or the US Open at its worst. It's now known as the Massacre at Wingfoot. That term comes from the classic book by Dick Shapp, from which his son Jeremy Shapp will be reading some passages in this episode. This week, the National Championship returns to the West Course at Wingfoot, So it feels like a good time to consider what it means for a tournament venue to be insane difficult, and what it takes to pass that kind of test.
Speaker 3: The attack upon Wingfoot is about to begin. One hundred and fifty men, the most gifted golfers in the world, are about to assault the West course of the Wingfoot Golf Club. It's a lovely site for a battle. Eighteen holes of gently rolling greenery in Mamaroneck, New York, half an hour's drive northeast of Manhattan, in the heart of affluent suburbia.
Speaker 1: By nineteen seventy four, Wingfoot Golf Club was over fifty years old, and the West course had already hosted two US Opens and a US Amateur. The credentials of this aw tilling House design were well established. So was it a tilling House intention to build a tough championship course A.
Speaker 5: One hundred percent from day one.
Speaker 6: You might be aware of the famous quote that you said, I was given a simple instruction, give us a man's sized course.
Speaker 1: This is Neil Reagan.
Speaker 5: I'm the historian at Wingfoot Golf Club.
Speaker 1: And Neil is telling me about the first US Open at Wingfoot West in nineteen twenty nine, when the course was only a few years old. Going into the tournament, the newspaper headlines had a theme.
Speaker 6: Bobby Jones thinks it's going to be a great driving contest. Wingfoot is called the most difficult course ever chosen. This is the week before the US Open, not the week after.
Speaker 1: During the Championship, the writer Obi Keeler was on the grounds.
Speaker 6: Obi Keeler, you know, Obie Keiller was Bobby Jones's best friend and biographer.
Speaker 1: With him in the gallery was aw Telling Hast.
Speaker 6: They met on the course and they talked, and they watched a lot of golfers, and he had a classic short article about it.
Speaker 5: He says.
Speaker 6: One of the most deeply interested spectators was a mister A W. Telling Hast, a distinguished looking gentleman with a carefully waxed mustache who was to be seen in all parts of the golf course at all times, but not at the same time, or something very much like omnipresence Tilling Hast.
Speaker 1: It seems to the great deal of talking.
Speaker 6: They say, it's a tough course. He said to me, but you will notice that the scores of parr are being made not too frequently.
Speaker 5: It's true.
Speaker 6: The man who scores par at Wingfoot will have shot par golf if you know what I mean. Tilling has rejoinder to one spectator's comment was a bit of a classic. The spectator said, they're having a bit of trouble with your golf course. I saw one fellow take three strokes in the same bunker, and tilling hast said, possibly the trouble is it with the bunkers.
Speaker 1: After seventy two holes, Bobby Jones and al Espinoza were tied at six. Over the next day, Jones beat Espinoza in a thirty six hole playoff by twenty three strokes. The greatest golfer of the era had won in dramatic fashion. But not everyone was happy with the first wing Foot Open.
Speaker 6: After the open, one newspaper column this wrote a very long article saying it was too tricky.
Speaker 5: It was too difficult to them.
Speaker 6: They would hit the fairway and have to hit over a bunker when they got on the green.
Speaker 5: They had undulations on the green. It wasn't like other courses.
Speaker 6: There were many other articles in the newspapers about how difficult it was, how it was called the hardest course in the country.
Speaker 5: So yes, its reputation was there from day one.
Speaker 1: One thing I've heard is that the nineteen seventy three US Open, where Johnny Miller shot sixty three in the final round, famously had some influence on the severity of the setup at Wingfoot. Do you think there's some truth to that?
Speaker 4: One hundred percent? One hundred percent.
Speaker 1: Mark Moulvoy was at Wingfoot in nineteen seventy four.
Speaker 4: Yep, my name is this Mark Moulvoy. In nineteen seventy four, I was one of the golf writers for Sports Illustrated, well behind Dan Jenkins.
Speaker 1: And you heard that the USGA was determined not to give up another sixty.
Speaker 4: Three and they're not going to do that again. Well, you know, hey, I can go set up wing Foot tomorrow myself where no one's going to break three hundred. Yeah, I'm serious, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Three hundred On the eve of the nineteen seventy four US Open. Wingfoot is a sterner challenge than ever. The course has been linked in Bunker's added trees, planted, all the little touches that please the USGA and chill the golfer who hopes to break.
Speaker 1: Or equal par So, what made the USGA set up of wing Foot in nineteen seventy four, so severe.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: First, the course was playing as a par seventy of six nine and twenty one yards, which wouldn't be long today. But back then, and this.
Speaker 2: Is nineteen seventy four, before we really had the advance and technology and the equipment.
Speaker 4: They played with ballata balls.
Speaker 2: We have a golf ball that doesn't go as far.
Speaker 4: They played with per simmon heads.
Speaker 2: We're using wooded headed drivers.
Speaker 4: I would bet that at that time that opened in seventy for the head of a driver was probably one hundred fifty or sixty see seeds. Today it's for sixty.
Speaker 2: We don't have all the ingredients that today's players have in terms of technology. Man like Arnold.
Speaker 6: Palmer, who was very long, had struggles reaching the eighteenth grade in two.
Speaker 5: So it was a very long course.
Speaker 2: For the day.
Speaker 1: Second, if you missed fairways, you were in trouble.
Speaker 2: So it was ay start with a relatively long golf course. Number two, the rough was due for the any rough that I have ever played my career.
Speaker 4: Roof was too high. You couldn't do anything out of the rest.
Speaker 2: The grass did grow long, very long, and when I say I went off to the side of the second green, and I started pulling up grass and it did not stop it about a foot. It kept going.
Speaker 4: Gary play a shankd to shot on the fourteenth holl from the left Roughee shanked a shot across the fairway. But when you looked across Gary in the left rough there you can always not see Gary because the roof was so high, and Gary, of course is a diminutive to say the least.
Speaker 1: And third, once you managed to get to the green, your work was far from over.
Speaker 2: And once there, now you've got contours, and generally speaking the greens might break a little bit from back to front, but there's a lot of contours in between.
Speaker 6: And then the greens were super fast for that era seventy four open and went for uc balls. Trick went past the cup and going another five and six feet, and then a five or six foot quite A bare foot is never a straight button never.
Speaker 2: So I think most people when they play wing foot will be surprised at how well you have to read the greens to shoot any kind of acceptable score.
Speaker 1: So really, what made wing foot such an exacting test in nineteen seventy four was pretty simple. In order to have much of a chance at par you had to hit the green in regulation in order to have much of a chance at hitting the green, and regulation you had to drive it long and straight, hole after hole after home with no letup.
Speaker 2: But that's we saw a course that was unrelenting. It was going to fight you at every turn, and if you made a birdie, it would get back at you.
Speaker 3: At every Open, at least a dozen frustrated professionals vowed that they will never never again play in a US Open.
Speaker 1: Early in the week at Wingfoot, the contestants began to grumble.
Speaker 2: There was a lot of doom and gloom in the locker room after those first one or two rounds of practice, because no one was coming back with a lot of confidence in being able to see very many birdies out there. It was a very very difficult golf course, and it was palpable.
Speaker 1: And the target of the player's hire was a familiar one.
Speaker 3: Hidden behind these gripes is the belief, sometimes expressed and more often implied, that the USGA, which is the governing board of American amateur golf, is intent upon embarrassing the pros, upon spotlighting the flaws, not their flare.
Speaker 1: Part of the story here is that in nineteen seventy four, competitive pros were just becoming independent. It was only five years before that they had broken away from the PGA of America and they.
Speaker 4: Had a bitter battle, and the pros essentially seeded from the PGA and formed the PGA Tour. Well, I think that they were looking for some support from the USGA.
Speaker 1: It didn't get it, So the fledgling PGA Tour was on its own and more and more inclined to view the USGA as an opponent.
Speaker 4: I mean they just felt that, you know, it was too much of an amateur operation.
Speaker 3: Tuesday, two forty pm, a pair of young pros are standing outside the clubhouse, engaged in a favorite pastime, complaining about the USGA. I wouldn't even play in a USGA events, as one of them, if it wasn't the Open. This would be a great tournament if the USGA didn't run it, says the other pro let me re phrase that this is a great tournament in spite of the USGA.
Speaker 1: So what did you What did you make of the complaints about the setup?
Speaker 2: Well, I might answer that question with the question, let's say, do you hear from the players of note ever any complaining about the golf course. Probably not. You hear the players that complain the most are the ones that at least likely to win a golf tournament. So I think when you start putting barriers around what is acceptable to you, you've really locked yourself in to a non competing position. And I remember after the second practice round saying to myself, if seventy percent of field is checked out, I mean you could just there were players that just weren't capable, and you can hear them talking. So if I can be thirty percent field, I might have a chance.
Speaker 3: Wednesday, eleven thirty am, three USGA officials, each tucked in a blue blae, each with a pipe tucked in his mouth, or holding a conference to explained the course to the press. What we try to do, says Sandy Tatum, is not to confound the best golfers in the world, but to find out who they are.
Speaker 2: And I didn't grow up in a country club environment. I grew up in a very small town of southeast Kansas. We had a little nine hole sand green golf course and I just pictures over here on the wall of that little course. And when we moved to Colorado, when I was fourteen, I caddied at a local municipal golf course. I'd make two dollars to seventy five cents and then I'd go pay the green spees of two dollars and twenty five cents. That'd leave me fifty cents to buy a hot dog or whatever it was.
Speaker 1: Pale Irwin quickly became an excellent golfer, but he ended up going to college for football at the University of Colorado. He was an All Conference defensive back, and it was on the football field that he developed his mo mindset as a competitor.
Speaker 2: Here was a case where playing college football sort of undersized under speed. I mean everything I did was under the norm kind of gave me a little bit of an attitude towards You're not going to beat me. You know, I may lose, but it won't be from lack of effort.
Speaker 1: He knew he had to play not only harder, but smarter.
Speaker 2: You'll always hear you perhaps you know, sorry, you have to read your keys, and my keys were generally speaking, the offensive linement, the center, two guards, and most of the time they will give away the play just by their stance, the way they acted and what you watch on film enough and then you get in the game and you see it firsthand. You start picking up the little idiosyncrasies, whether it be the eyes might move, or the head or the way the hand goes down on the ground or something that you pick up. You you have to have those clues. And that's what I think I was good at was anticipating and recognizing those clues and.
Speaker 1: Wing foot Taylorwin saw a big, fast offensive line.
Speaker 2: And I'm respectful of not only my opponent, but the opponent for this golf course. I'm respectful of that man. With that respect comes the recognition that I've got to pay attention to some of the details. You had to put the ball in the fairway, but that doesn't mean you hit an iron off the tee because now you're left with such a long second shot. It just doubles up on how difficult that second shot becomes. So got hit fairways, got to hit greens, and keep the ball under the hole. It does not matter. I'll trade a thirty fit or a ten foot downhill button for a thirty fit uphill, But every time, just put the ball under the hole. Don't worry where the flag is. If the flag is twenty two pass on and six in the right. So what, let's hit it in the middle of the green. Okay, it's twenty Let's just try to hit it twenty and you know, just find those areas in which to hit the ball. So I felt like, for me, that could give me a reward. It throw me a bone that if I hit a shot that was on the green and I'm within thirty feet the hole, Hey, yeah, with success. So that's just the way I kind of played my game, and I've always played my game. That's why I've never relied upon a caddy. For all the advice that today's caddies seek to throw at their players, Oh it put me to sleep. I've got a play faster than that. I haven't got time to be ridden in bedtime storage.
Speaker 1: So by nineteen seventy four, Hail Irwin was a twenty nine year old pro with an NCAA championship and two wins at Harbortown to his name. But he brought a lot more than just that resume to the Wingfoot Open. He also brought experience with opponents much scarier than any golf course, and he brought a self confidence rooted in self reliance rooted in a childhood of sand greens in two seventy five per.
Speaker 2: Loop are Mike Talon seeing it better than anybody else, so walks out there on the grass. No, does my confidence in myself? Is it any less than Jack Nicholas would have. No. I have a belief in myself that what I'm doing for me is the proper thing to do.
Speaker 1: Of course, that's not to say that hailer Win was unaffected by the severity of wing.
Speaker 2: Fut By the time we got to Thursday and they called your name on the first team, and you're thinking, oh, no, here we go. I'm gonna I'm gonna have to post this.
Speaker 3: Car Thursday one, eight pm. After driving into the rough then hitting a five iron twenty feet above the first hole, Jack Nicholas gently taps his putt toward the cup. The ball slips past and rolls down the incline, leaving Nicholas a full twenty five foot putt coming back. What an embarrassing way to start the opening.
Speaker 2: Fut pass And your words spread very quickly on the first day with Jack Nicholas four putted the first you put it right off the green. You know, that's like wildfire, and now you get an idea of what you're in for. If you hadn't suspected already, now you know so.
Speaker 4: Anyway, in the fourth hall, the pin was sort of in the center of the green, but right center, just in from the from the fringe. Projecked a beautiful iron in there, about ten or fifteen feet right of the whole three part of that sucker.
Speaker 1: The best golfer in the world finished with a five over seventy five seven PM.
Speaker 3: Jack Nicholas comes into the press ten without complaints or excuses. The course didn't play any tougher than other open courses, Nicholas says, the greens are the course you're scared of every putt. I wish we've played a course like this every week. We'd learn how to put Later on Thursday, a motorist attempting to leave the Wing Foot Golf Club, takes a wrong turn and accidentally drives across the first green. He does no damage at all. The green holds up like asphalt.
Speaker 1: No one broke. Part of that first day, Gary Player held the solo lead after an opening seventy and three shots behind him. Hail Irwin was playing a study game.
Speaker 2: So I thought, for me, if I can go out and stay positive, even with a bogie, I know I'm going to make that, but I know others are going to make them too. So let's stay in the game. Forget what happened on the last and this is something that should happen all the time. But forget about what you've just done. Let's think about what you have.
Speaker 1: To do on Friday. Playing in the morning, hail Irwin doesn't make many scores he has to forget. He finishes with a seventy and by the middle of the afternoon holds the lead at plus three. One shot. Behind him are two twenty four year old toms Kite and Watson. Tied with hail Ierwin are Ray Floyd, Gary Player, and one other very familiar name.
Speaker 3: Friday, five point thirty six pm, as Arnold Palmer walks toward the seventeenth t the division of his troops begins to applaud What did he just do? Someone I think he just breathed A cynic replies.
Speaker 1: You're in the final group on Saturday, and in front of you is the pairing of Gary Player and Arnold Palmer. What do you remember of the atmosphere around that group ahead of you. What was the what was the venue like at that time?
Speaker 2: Well, obviously anytime you have Arnold Palmer in contention, it's going to create a lot of dynamics. Now as a competitor, I like seeing that in front of me, because if it's behind you, now it's running up on you all the time. If you're in it, you have to kind of concern yourself with what's going on around you. When it's up in front of you, then it's your better.
Speaker 1: Saturday, you played, You played a great round of golf on Saturday.
Speaker 2: I played very well on Saturday, Yes.
Speaker 1: Which was quite an accomplishment on that day.
Speaker 3: Saturday to ten pm. Dave Stockton comes out of the scorers tent after adding up all seventy eight strokes. I can't believe people want to say I see the golf they're seeing here, he says. I know they want to see birdies, but the USGA doesn't want to see birdies. This course makes me feel like a fool. I'm exempt again next year, but I'm not going to play the Open.
Speaker 1: Dave Stockton did play the US Open the next year, and the year after that, and each of the seven years after that. Anyway. On Saturday at Wingfoot, Stockton is hardly the only player to have trouble. Gary player shoots seventy seven. Ray Floyd shoots seventy eight, and when Hale Irwin arrives on the sixteenth tee, he's three over on his round and in front of him are Wingfoot's brutal closing holes.
Speaker 2: Well, a number sixteen for the members is a par five and for us it was a par four, and they move the tee up maybe five yards.
Speaker 1: There he hits a three iron to seven feet and holds the putt.
Speaker 2: Now seventeen is again another one of those holes that's relatively straight away, quite a narrow fair away.
Speaker 1: He rolls in a twenty foot or for.
Speaker 2: But then you've got the kicking the tail in eighteen. Where you think, where's a braither hole on this golf course, there is none.
Speaker 1: Four hundred and forty eight yards dog leg left and a green guarded by deep bunkers and a massive false front.
Speaker 2: So if you were on the front of green, it would roll off the front. The flag was on the left, maybe a little bit towards the front, and I hit my ball just short and left of the green at a let's just say a pitch shot that one doesn't want to have, So I, okay, keep it under the hole, don't pitch it long, don't pitch keep it, keep it under those So I pitched it up there five or six feet pretty much under the hole and made that.
Speaker 1: It was a great up and down, a true US Open car.
Speaker 2: Here. I've had a really good fanny shot, positioned myself well for the Sunday round, and I was glad to get that round over with.
Speaker 1: Going into Sunday's final round, Taylor Win was two shots ahead of Arnold Palmer and one behind young Tom Watson, who had posted a sixty nine. At that point, Watson hadn't even won a regular PGA Tour event, but his talent was obvious.
Speaker 2: You could see this young man was going to be the next superstar. There was no doubt. He was still wet behind the ears, I guess if you wish, in terms of competitive experience, but it was going to he was going to drive that off very quickly. But you know, as I'm thinking of the round, I'm thinking, Okay, Arnold still a very effective player, maybe the twilight of his really competitive career, but still Arnold Palmer Tom Watson, the new up and coming star. But it just comes boiling back to me.
Speaker 1: It comes boiling back to Hailerwin and what he's going to do.
Speaker 3: Sunday, one PM. I'm nervous, says Hailor Win, but I'm not shaking with anticipation.
Speaker 2: You're playing for a Nichel championship, so there's there's greater pressures. There's greater and you just name it. It's there. You're one of the last ones to leave the locker room, You're one of the last ones the practice area.
Speaker 3: One twenty four pm. My only philosophy, says Tom Watson, is I like my position.
Speaker 2: So all these things tell you that there is something important going on, and even if you try to close the door on all that, it's still there.
Speaker 3: One PM. Kail Or Win closes his locker. Excuse me, gentlemen, he says, I have work to do.
Speaker 2: If you don't feel it, then why are you there? And I tried to accept that. I tried to embrace that because that is what's competition's about. That's why you're there.
Speaker 3: One twenty six pm. Tom Watson closes his locker. Do you like all the attention? Someone asks Watson, nots. Yes, he says, I do. I'd like to give this kind of interview every week.
Speaker 2: I tried when I get to the first t, and now I'm the t. Now you have to blank out. Now you have to get focused on where am I trying to get this ball? Now is the time to play golf and not go through all the what ifs. He's too late for that.
Speaker 1: On the front nine, Arnold Palmer's putter betrays him and he goes from six to ten over. He's out of it. Behind him walking to the ninth green, Tom Watson and hailer Win are tied at six over.
Speaker 3: For seventeen PM.
Speaker 1: So could you tell me about that putt at nine?
Speaker 2: Well, I forget how many lumps and bumps there were between me and oh, let's call it fourteen or fifteen.
Speaker 3: From thirty five feet away over a ridge, Hailorrwin curls his putt into the cup.
Speaker 2: But there was a lot of go up a little hill, down up a little hill, and down to another.
Speaker 3: So and as the ball falls he breaks into a happy little dance, his first sign of emotion all day.
Speaker 2: So, if you're fortunate enough to make a putt like that, okay, you had the skill set to do it, but maybe more importantly, you had the luck set to get a ball like that into the hole.
Speaker 3: For eighteen PM, Hailerwin's wife is beaming fifteen hundred miles away in Kirkwood, Missouri, near Saint Louis, in their new home. Sally Jean Irwin is sitting next to Pack Crates and her sleeping two and a half year old daughter, Becky, watching the Open on television. Sally Jean is eight months pregnant, which explains why she's not at wing foot. Three weeks ago, Hailerwin woke up one morning and told his wife he had just had a dream that he won the US Open.
Speaker 1: As for Tom Watson, he misses his birdy pet on number nine and drops one shot back of hail Irwin.
Speaker 3: Four point thirty three pm, A spectator behind the tenth green points at Tom Watson, nods his head knowingly and says he's choking.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, another young, talented but winless pro, Forrest Feesler, has clung to even parr on his round, which means he's suddenly in contention.
Speaker 2: You have to think about what you're doing at this time. What Tom Watson does He does what Forest Feesler does, he does with Arnold Baumer, all of them. Let's worry about Hailer what's going to be doing.
Speaker 3: Four point fifty two pm. Tom Watson hooks his t shot on the twelfth hole into the woods and a spectator says that's it for Watson.
Speaker 1: Standing on the fifteenth tee, halor Win has a three shot lead over Forrest Fessler, but within minutes he's given one of those shots up.
Speaker 2: Well, I think, like anything, there could have been a bit of nerves. But bear in mind, even if you're just playing this on a casual Saturday with your friends, these are hard golf holes.
Speaker 3: Five forty one pm. On the sixteenth hole, hailor Win drives.
Speaker 2: Into the rough and given the circumstances, are you going to hit that perfect, relaxed shot that you have with your buddy on Saturday playing for a dollar in asshaule.
Speaker 3: Five forty four pm hailer Win hits his second shot into a bunker on the right side of the green.
Speaker 2: No, you've got the factor in the nerves. You've got to factor in the anxiety.
Speaker 3: Five forty seven pm. From the bunker, Hailer went last within eight feet of the pin on the sixteenth, he walks onto the green, sites his putt very carefully and misses. He now has two straight bogies and he's seven over, only a stroke in front of Boris Wesler.
Speaker 2: But mind you, I was the only one making those bogies. Everybody else was making them as well. So it's not like you're, well, I'm gonna match your par with my bar. No, he'sa I'm gonna match your bogue with my bog.
Speaker 3: E five point fifty two PM. Forrest Wessler misses his fifteen foot attempt to save par on the eighteenth hole. As he comes off the green, he shakes his head. Man, this course really takes it out of you mentally, Fessler says. It just does things to your mind.
Speaker 1: But Hayler Win still needs to stop the bleeding. And on his drive on seventeen.
Speaker 2: I just lost my legs and I got over it and I pulled it just into the left rof.
Speaker 1: So you're you're in the rough on seventeen. Could you basically take me home from there?
Speaker 2: Well, again, when you're in the rough, you're not going to reach the green, and so I just took out a I think it might have even been a forwood. I think it choked down on it, and I chopped it to where I had I think my yard was like one hundred and two yards or one hundred and three yards, and again I thought, don't hit it long, don't hit it past the hole. And I hit a good shot, perhaps ten feet or so from the hole. Unfortunately I got there and it was quite a left to rights breaking putt, and I'm thinking to myself, Okay, we need to make this putt.
Speaker 3: Six oh two pm, Hilerwin lines up his twelve foot putt on seventeen and a reporter kneeling behind him says he'll never make it. It breaks a foot. He makes the putt and breathes a deep sigh of relief.
Speaker 2: When that went in. That was such a big relief because now I can play the last hole, not conservatively, not have to play it dynamically. Let's put it that week, you have to put one shot on another.
Speaker 3: Six four pm. Charged up equally by his putt on seventeen and the huge gallery lining the eighteenth hole from tee to green, hail Or Wins senses drive straight down the middle of the fairway, and.
Speaker 2: So when I hit my drive right where I wanted to in the fairway, and then I could see the big board up at the green, and I did see where I had a two shot lead. But now, don't hit it to the right. Cannot miss the green to the right, and I've got one hundred and ninety four yards. I believe it was Win's a little off the left, the green setting up there a little bit. It's a two iron shot. Today's people say, what's a two iron?
Speaker 4: Nobody has a two iron in their bag. How many pro carrie at two iron?
Speaker 2: Yeah, today's player might say, well, that's just a six iron. Well, guys, go back to where I was, break that two iron out of your bag and try to hit that shot.
Speaker 4: Well, only it was a two iron. The clubhead was about the size of the fall.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I remember distinctly all the things I've forgotten. I remember distinctly telling myself a nice smooth backswing, make sure you get the clubs set, and I on the ball the instant there was contact. It was a solid contact. I know it was a good shot. And so when I looked up and the ball was flying just a little bit left of the hole, and the wind brought it right over the top of the flag. I knew then that it was over.
Speaker 3: Erwin hits the two iron and the ball stops, running nineteen feet from the pin. As Irwin strides toward the green, he raises both hands above his head like a victorious boxer. The gallery booms out its applause and Erwin waves his vizor. Erwin plays the nineteen footer the way a champion should. He strokes the ball to within an inch of the cup. He taps in, and Hailerwin is the nineteen seventy four United States Open champion.
Speaker 1: Hailerwin finished with a score of two eighty seven seven over, second place Forrest Fessler nine over, and tied for fifth at twelve over forty four year old Arnold Palmer and twenty four year old Tom Watson. Palmer would never again place that high in a major, whereas Watson would recover quickly from his Sunday collapse. The next year he won the first of his five Open championships. But for now he had failed the test that was wingfoot in nineteen seventy four and Haylor went alone had.
Speaker 2: Passed after I had won. You know, I remember thinking to myself and the confines of my room that evening that I'd finally achieved what I've been trying to do, and that's to be a player on the international stage. To be successful in the world of golf, and to do that you have to establish yourself as a winner in major championships, and I had achieved my goal.
Speaker 1: Taylor Win continued to do well at US Opens. He won two more, and he went on to become one of the best older golfers of all time, winning forty five tournament some seven majors on the senior tour. He's now seventy five and just recently he gave up the competitive game.
Speaker 2: That's thirty five years old. I don't know as I can go out there and play with the same intensity that I once did, because you need intensity in your own way. You need that because if you don't have it, I don't care what you're in. It's a job you have. If you don't attack it with intensity. If you just back off of that and say, you know, I think i'll let that fly this morning, I'll get that later later it comes and you don't do it, that's the signal it's time to step back big time. Because unless you can deal with that in between, and that well, he's good, but not like he used to be.
Speaker 4: That's not me.
Speaker 1: He still follows golf and he sees that since nineteen seventy four, PGA Tour players have gained a great deal more power, that their complaints about courses and setups carry a great deal more weight. And he here's what some of them have been saying about US open venues, like say Shinnecock Hills twenty seventeen.
Speaker 2: I thought we could be on the edge, but we've surpassed it. Unfortunately, they've lost the golf course. I think we're we're making a fatal mistake if we don't distinguish the good from the average, the best from the good. The delineation amongst the best and the others generally takes place with the difficult golf course. The best players complain about the conditions. No, I think that when you start complaining about the conditions of the golf course, now you're setting yourself up for failure because now you're admitting I can't play that golf course. And one of the things, as we talk here so forty six years later about Wingfoot, it still carries the prestige it still carries the talk what tournament or what club wouldn't want that? And I don't buy into this. Let's treat the players with let's pamper them, let's use the kid gloves because they're complaining. Sorry, I just I don't go into it. I think the players of today hit the ball so far, and if they're that talented, they should be able to play any golf course, no matter how it's set up as an organization or as an organizing committee or as a tournament venue. I would want my golf course to pursuent itself with some teeth so the best players in the world are tasked to play better golf.
Speaker 1: This was the tenth episode of Friday Stories. It was produced and hosted by me Garren Morrison, with editing and engineering by Jay Verick and transcript assistants from Jay Fischel. Our executive producer is Andy Johnson. Many thanks to Neil Reagan, Mark Moulvoy, Jeremy Shop, Hail Irwin, and of course to you for listening.
Speaker 6: H m h.
Speaker 3: M hm hm.
Speaker 4: You know it's maybe a couple of stretches, a little push up. He never did any serious exercise. Yeah, what hold on a minute, problem.
Speaker 5: What what's the word bagel.
Speaker 2: F A T A L.
Speaker 4: My wife fent some conference call. They're playing bridge or something.
Speaker 1: Fatal, so you're you're the household spellar.
Speaker 4: Huh oh yeah, believe me. They shoot. They play bridge all freaking day on this computer thing. All of her friends from Florida shoot is not real anyway,