Speaker 1: Las show.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's very exciting. So Butch Hartman's about to come in, and I'm actually recording this after the interview, just so you guys know. So the setup. So Butch Hartman, as you'll know, created The Fairly Odd Parents. Danny Phantom, a big animation guy, now has his own studio. You'll hear all about it. But Scuba Steve came to me and was like, hey, do you want to have Butch Hartman on? And we have a little meeting after the show most days, and I was like, I don't know, like and he goes with everybody on the show is trying to do voiceovers, and I was like, oh, that is perfect. So you were going to hear and I thought it was super fun, super compelling, the entire interview now with Butch Hartman, who now has Butch Hartman Studios and he makes his own cartoons under his own company. But I think to all of us on the show, this was super fun. So here he is and you can follow him at Butch Hartman. But us the show did not know who was coming in, by the way, and then Lunchbox thought it was O's that he's already on. That's o's you'll hear it. Okay, butch Hartman, here we go. We're about to have a guest enter the studio. I think everybody's gonna.
Speaker 3: Be like, what in the world, let's go.
Speaker 2: I think everybody's gonna get very excited. I don't think you'll recognize this person's face when he walks in. But when I tell you who it is and he sits down at the microphone, then I think everybody will sit up just a little bit taller and be on a little better behavior. Any guesses amy I have?
Speaker 4: Honestly, I'm stumped.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say, I love this guest booking so much, but why do they.
Speaker 4: Not look like who we know them to be?
Speaker 2: Because you will not know them to be. No, they don't have a mask on, you will not know them to be.
Speaker 5: This it's about something that they they've done.
Speaker 2: Okay, he's walking recognizing he's walking in? Now, come on, what is hunchbuck? There's no way, let's go.
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 2: Let's go. Do you know who that is? Let's go?
Speaker 3: Do you do you know who it is?
Speaker 6: That is? O?
Speaker 2: What? O's No, you have a microphone, but by you anywhere you know I'm talking about the guy you do. So, But first of all, I'm so excited you're here. You have no idea the timeliness of you being here. This is the greatest gift that you're here. Really, Yes, for a couple of reasons. My gosh, I haven't We haven't told them who you are what you do yet, because you're going to affect this room in such a way that they're going to explode.
Speaker 1: Okay, am I safe over here?
Speaker 2: You're safe. There's gonna be no liquids. Okay, So everybody, this is Butch Hartman. But Hartman is known for creating Nickelodeon classics like The Fairly Odd Parents.
Speaker 1: But that's awesome on zero reaction.
Speaker 2: They're all trying to be cartoon voice actors. But I'm Danny Phantom, right all right, cartoon given to freak out, but else to get behind the couch, get behind what do you need? Okay? So, but first of all, it is a pleasure to me.
Speaker 7: Well, first of all, thanks for having me on. I'm grateful to be here. Thanks great to meet you too.
Speaker 2: Yes, this is They're all now going to start going, how can I impress Butch? So you just be ready for that, Okay, Okay, see they're going to super impressed already.
Speaker 5: By the way, Super's very nice.
Speaker 2: You like that.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you very much. So my wife trusts me today.
Speaker 2: That has a good jacket. Thank you. You created fairly OddParents.
Speaker 1: I created fairly OddParents back in nineteen ninety seven. That's how old. Yeah, I know, that's how old I am. Yes, nineteen ninety seven.
Speaker 7: And uh, it was just a little like a drawing to Actually, I brought you a gift.
Speaker 1: By the way, that's a drawing of Cosmo on a post it. That's for you. I brought that for you.
Speaker 2: Look at this.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so there you goes. That's old Cosmo. And uh I found a post in the green room. So hope you don't mind if I took that. You just do that right now? Yes, sure, yes, see I heat the process for all of you.
Speaker 2: One one. Nobody else gets one now, I'm just kidding. Fairly odd parents are hilarious. By the way, Thank you, Thank you. Did it runs that long? Like the only show that I for.
Speaker 7: It ran for eighteen years on Nickelodeon, and they still I still see it.
Speaker 1: It's on all the time. Yeah, it still runs all the time.
Speaker 2: Do you still make new ones.
Speaker 7: No, we don't make new ones anymore. But I made I made fairly OddParents. I did Danny Phantom at the same time. It was another one, and then I don't hear anybody cheering, by the way, anybody's cheering.
Speaker 3: For And what's the next?
Speaker 2: Let's end that.
Speaker 7: And then a show called Tough Puppy and one called Bunsen is a Beast. So had a great time at Nickelodeon for twenty years.
Speaker 2: How did you start? What were you an artist? And you said, I have this idea and I've drawn this.
Speaker 7: I've been drawing since I was a little kid. And then I got into the industry. I'm from Michigan originally, and then I ended up going to California to go to school. Wanted to work for Disney, never did, and then ended up finding my way to uh through the industry. Worked for many years, and then they were basically Nickelodeon was pretty new in the nineties and they were looking for show ideas, and so I went in with this idea I thought was kind of fun, A little boy with two fairy godparents and grant as every wish. But they get it wrong all the time, and they liked it, so I I had to make one cartoon, and then after that they love that one so much, I got to make like three more, four more. So I had about ten little short cartoons I made pretty much by myself, and then they focus tested them.
Speaker 1: You guys ever been in a focused test before.
Speaker 7: It's a terrifying thing where they put kids in a room to watch your show and you're behind a piece of glass and you can't go in, and the kids watch your show and they give you like you know, they vote on it. And luckily, the kids liked the show, and so Nickelodeon picked it up as a series in March of two thousand and one, that's when it first aired.
Speaker 2: Did you ever draw for other shows before you had your own show?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Multiple, multiple I ended up doing.
Speaker 7: I worked at you know, Hannah Barbera, I worked at Ambling Productions. I worked all over the place as much as I could. And you had to learn all these different styles of show art before you can, you know, make your own stuff.
Speaker 2: That is so cool. Now, let me give me some background on this sh this show. Yes, yes, so they have all in their own respective ways, auditioned for different I would say, not voice over, but like voice actor role.
Speaker 1: You guys are in the vocal realm. You guys do vocal things. That's right.
Speaker 2: Microphones for like twenty years. If you're in a room with microphone on a show, Yes, and.
Speaker 3: It's a good voice actor, like tell me talk to me.
Speaker 7: The best thing that makes a good voice actor is make it a good choice. If you come in with a choice that helps me make my day easier, that's gonna make me happy.
Speaker 4: What do you mean by choice?
Speaker 3: If you know, you know, you may answer the question, go ahead.
Speaker 7: For example, like if if the character is like a beautiful young princess who is sad that she's been turned into a frog, right, you need to come in and show me how that princess would act and not would that princess be would she just be a normal voice or would you have a choice meaning would you make an emotional choice there? Could you come in with some emotion or like and you can be funny on top of it, would say, I'll give you a line. I'll give you a line of dialogue. If you say, I can't believe the witch turned me into a frog, but I shall rise again.
Speaker 4: I can't believe the witch turned me into a frog. But I I shall rise again.
Speaker 3: React everyone, he's being nice.
Speaker 4: Don't tell you what he's being sad to hopeful.
Speaker 2: But go ahead.
Speaker 7: I'm sorry, please get First of all, I thought that was fantastic audition. I just threw it at you too, and that was a terrible line I made up. But you made it better, so that.
Speaker 4: Was really it wasn't terrible.
Speaker 7: Let's try one more. I would I would say this. I would say this is a voice director. I said, let's have a little more energy. And I know I normally give line reads anyway, so be like. I can't believe he turned into a frog, but I should make it really big. Let's let's really feel it. I want you to outdo the guy with the bear in his shirt. Okay, right here we go, ready on account of three one two three.
Speaker 6: I can't believe I was turned into a frog, but I shall rise again.
Speaker 1: The difference.
Speaker 2: Beautiful because you guys are all haters.
Speaker 3: It wouldn't believe me.
Speaker 5: I'm just waiting for my line.
Speaker 2: But some more questions, Yes, sir, Yes, sir. I would think that everyone thinks they could do cartoon ViOS Bobby Bones.
Speaker 1: You're exactly right.
Speaker 7: Everybody thinks they can and people can do funny voices, but it's got to have the acting behind it. And like I said, when you come in with a choice like and by the way, thanks for doing that, I need me to put you on the spot.
Speaker 1: You did great.
Speaker 7: But people come in if you can make my day easier as a producer, Like if I can write to that voice you just did, I've bet people come in. I wasn't expecting anything from them and they did this great line reading. I went, wait, I can make that a permanent character in the show. You know that character, we can write for that, Like the guy who played mister Crocker on Fairly Odd Parents Mother if you know Very Good Parents, Carlos alas Raki came in and I said, he's just a crazy teacher, and he goes, if I can bind Richard Dreyfus with Willy Wonka And he made this incredible voice, and so we'd started to writing that character into the show. Became one of the most iconic characters on the show. So a voice actor can pretty much make a living out of a character they create if they come in with a great choice.
Speaker 2: You know what feedback would you give Amy overall? Or if she is auditioning for roles.
Speaker 7: I think Amy did a fantastic job. I think if you want to, you strike me as somebody who can do a lot of things.
Speaker 1: And are you to do comedy a.
Speaker 2: Lot I've taken, Oh perfect, Yeah, I would say.
Speaker 7: The cool thing is about you got a great voice already and you're really confident and if you, if you could maybe just meeting you for two seconds here, always keep working on the comedy and see if you can make that even stronger and get those improv skills even more honed. Because I just threw that line at you and you did great. But even being like being insane like this guy over here, you know I can sometimes helping.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yeah, you did great though great so the guy here in the blue shirt just audition But how's it going, man, Eddie? Tell Butch about the role you auditioned for.
Speaker 5: Yes, I auditioned for. It's like a spin off of My Little Pony basically, and they wanted a dad who was one of the horses, and I'm a horse dad. That's a horse dad and almost like a two caring dad, like it's a very worrisome dad about his kids and forties to fifties, and I was like, that's me. So they brought they gave me some lines. I sent him whatever you know they asked for. I haven't heard anything back, but it's been a couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: Would you like to run them by?
Speaker 1: Butch?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 5: The lines?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you got the lines right here?
Speaker 5: Let me pull them off.
Speaker 7: And it's a horse. Now are you supposed to be going for comedy here? Is just like supposed to be really sincere? What did they ask you?
Speaker 5: They said that the horse is just worried about his kids at all times. Got it?
Speaker 7: So I can see some comedy in that little over, little little neurotic. Okay, okay, okay, I see a little neurotic.
Speaker 3: Don't give him tips?
Speaker 2: He already lunchbox. You're not Butcher's boss.
Speaker 1: He's not the boss.
Speaker 2: No, he's not the boss. Punch. What do you live in La? I do live in Lay. Do you start in a studio?
Speaker 1: I did start in new studio, And.
Speaker 2: So now what does that mean for you? Are you now creating and have everybody.
Speaker 7: Creating a whole bunch of brand new stuff? And I got some brand new shows. We have one that's on Angel Studios right now. It's a cartoon called The Garden Cartoon that teaches kids the Bible, which is real exciting. So you guys can see that on Angel Studios. But I got I left Nickelodeon in twenty eighteen to do my own stuff. So we have a whole bunch of new ip coming out pretty soon.
Speaker 2: When you say Angel Studios, how do we find that?
Speaker 7: It's on the Angel Studios platform. Angel Studios they were best known.
Speaker 2: For the Chosen So we can download the app.
Speaker 7: Download the app, download the platform, and one of the biggest out there in the family market. It's really really fun because as a lot of platforms out there right now that have some family friendly stuff in them, but Angel's pretty much one family friendly.
Speaker 6: Like no surprises pretty much, are the kids no surprises?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Well, my goal is to make sure kids have a safe place to go, but an entertaining place to go too.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm trying to do, all right, Eddie, are we ready with your audition?
Speaker 5: I got the line? Okay, one line, yes, So the kid is leaving and they're about.
Speaker 1: To the horse.
Speaker 7: Kid is leaving the horsehouse, correct, and the dad is worried about that horse. Dad's worried.
Speaker 5: Yes, Okay, here's here's the here's my performance.
Speaker 1: Okay, is there a drum roll or something we could play?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 2: Either for sure?
Speaker 8: Is right?
Speaker 2: Would you mind hitting some kind of a drummer?
Speaker 9: So?
Speaker 5: What about your royal duties? I feel like you're gonna leave and just forget.
Speaker 3: All about us.
Speaker 7: Not bad at all, he said, what was he?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: Well that's a good question, I think.
Speaker 4: Perplexed?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I did not want her to leave.
Speaker 2: There was a nuance to it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'd probably have to hear a couple more lines to get a feel for this horse character.
Speaker 1: Does he have a name?
Speaker 5: His name is Nightlight.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: Are there more lines, Eddie?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I have to listen to the audio because all I have is my ring.
Speaker 2: Like you said, why don't you just improv?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll give you a line. Okay, what about your ol duties?
Speaker 9: Like?
Speaker 7: How about you can't leave? All the plants are gonna die? Say that love it?
Speaker 5: Well, you can't leave. I mean all the plants are gonna die.
Speaker 1: Bigger, make it bigger.
Speaker 3: Come on, you can't leave the plants die.
Speaker 1: I put a few tears in there, like Bill Murray would do.
Speaker 5: If you can't leave, I mean the plants, they're all gonna.
Speaker 1: Die and see there we go. Now we're getting this really good man.
Speaker 2: He's got energy, got.
Speaker 1: You surrounded by talent.
Speaker 2: This is think youre creating talent well, Angel Studios, No, but.
Speaker 7: It's funny when if you if you can create a great character with that voice like that, I mean, think about SpongeBob, oh my gosh, based the Crabs. You know, if you could do a voice like that and just really make that character come to life, that's something that you can really build on for decades, if you can really really nail it.
Speaker 2: See, that's what I feel like with the Angel Studios and the content you're creating that kids now need more of that type of content, like safe, clean content.
Speaker 1: Here's what I think. I think.
Speaker 7: You know, look, I'm I'm a Christian guy, and I don't ever want anyone to think I'm trying to, you know, make sure you're you're a Christian or anything. But I do stuff where I want to make sure that the end of the day, I feel good about what I put out there. There's a ton of kids that won't never go into a church, but they're all going to have a phone to look at and you know, who's putting stuff on that screen. So I'm to make sure at least I can put a healthy option on the screen and something that's uplifting for kids and families, because as a parent, I have two daughters.
Speaker 1: They're grown up now. But now I have a granddaughter. So what is she going to watch? Right?
Speaker 7: Hopefully the Princess Show and Horse Dad. I think Horse Dad becomes a series and we just call it no horse Dad. It's fun of your title.
Speaker 2: Princess, the Princess and the horse Dad. That's who wouldn't watch that? I would watch that.
Speaker 3: Man. What's how's it going? I've got my ticket to l A and are you ready to audition?
Speaker 7: Oh my gosh, I'll just move there with you. I should draw a horse Dad. By the way, while we're sitting all right, who's your character?
Speaker 2: Who's you know?
Speaker 9: I listen, man, I'm open. I'm an open book. Whatever you need me to do, I can adapt.
Speaker 3: See them. They are pigeonholed like he's like, I have character. I can come in.
Speaker 2: They did say they had one character. Literally, were just doing.
Speaker 4: A character just off the cuff, was a princess.
Speaker 1: Yeah you did great?
Speaker 3: So yeah, I mean, what what do you want. You want angry dad?
Speaker 2: You want?
Speaker 3: What do you want me to be?
Speaker 7: I think, just going by who you are already, I would never want to pull you down because that energy is great. I think you're like a tiger. That's a gym coach. That's what I think you're like. You're like, all right, everybody, today, it's dodgeball. Okay, we're playing dodgeball.
Speaker 3: To give me a line, you tell me the concept.
Speaker 7: You're a tiger gym coach and you're announcing it's dodgeball and you're picking teams.
Speaker 1: Here we go, ready, one, two, three.
Speaker 3: Little Jimmy and Sally and Susie. Guess what today is. It's dodgeball. Jimmy. You're over there, boys versus girls?
Speaker 9: You know why boys rule and girls?
Speaker 2: WHOA.
Speaker 7: That's amazing. That's amazing. Man, that was epics. See I could draw that character in two seconds.
Speaker 1: That's great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I gave him something to work with.
Speaker 2: To be fair, you did create the character that right.
Speaker 1: In front of Yeah, yeah, yeah he did on the Tiger Jim coach. That's for you can see it? Can you see the Tiger Jym coach?
Speaker 7: Though?
Speaker 2: You sure can see a tiger Jim coach. I saw a horse, Dad.
Speaker 3: And no contr on them. Let's focus on me now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I can focus on all three of you. I thought all three of you guys.
Speaker 7: Did a great John, I'm the lovely princess who's just trying to make the story end. Well, you're struggling and you run into these fairy tale characters who do not want to go along with the story.
Speaker 1: That's what happens.
Speaker 2: Why are you in town here? What are you doing?
Speaker 7: We're at the NRB Convention, a National Religious Broadcasters Convention. I'm announcing but Hartman Studios there and so.
Speaker 2: We're Oh, this is a whole new like everybody, I'm doing it.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, we have a huge booth and everything. It's massive. We're announcing eight new shows.
Speaker 1: Yes, you're in luck.
Speaker 6: I think we're all Christians here, we are.
Speaker 3: I'm a big captain.
Speaker 5: I love to stop by the booth.
Speaker 1: Yes, have the genu flec with where you come in. You gotta get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Exata Mark John exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we saw your favorite scription before.
Speaker 2: Do you feel do you feel there's like a changing aesthetic and animation that you either have to lead and change that aesthetic or do you like, see what other people are drawing and then try to chase that at times, you.
Speaker 7: Know, it's interesting. I think the what's going on in animation right now. I think I think parents want to feel like they can put the phone in front of their kids and just walk away and take a breather for a minute. There's so many things out there that are negative right now. That's unfortunate. So I think really parents are looking for a great place to put their kids. Kids are looking for something entertaining that doesn't feel like it's too boring or that their mom and dad are making them watch.
Speaker 1: I mean, I just want to.
Speaker 7: Create great characters that kids can fall in love with and want to watch again over and over and over again. And that's what that's my job. I did it for twenty years in Nickelodeon. We're doing it with our new studio now and I'm having a blast doing it. But I do think that we as the filmmakers have to really be responsible what we put in that screen.
Speaker 1: That's my that's my advice. Where'd you grow up, Michigan?
Speaker 2: And so you moved to LA and was the dream to be an artist?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I moved La. This is back in the eighties, now, prior to the internet. So I had to like, you know, fill out an envelope and put my portfolio in a may in an envelope and send it to cal Arts. So I went to cal Arts and Valencia, and that was the only school in the country that was teaching animation at the time. And so I went out there in the eighties and kind of never looked back. I just loved California state out there. I always wanted to work for Disney, but I never did end up going to the TV.
Speaker 2: Did you ever get on a game show? Good question, because he tried. He tried to get on a game show. They didn't put him on too much.
Speaker 1: I can't.
Speaker 2: I got You've got a clear now it's Tiger Tiger Tiger co coach.
Speaker 7: I was on two game shows. That's so funny, as you would a Yeah, I was on two game shows. Yeah, and I won, Actually seventeen thousand dollars you want, I don't have it with me, guys, calm down. So I spent it already, all right, I spent the money.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 1: I was on two game shows.
Speaker 7: One was called Body Language, where I had to act out charades and like guests Clues. The other one was called The Match Game Hollywood Squares Hour. They took these two game shows to combine them together.
Speaker 1: But I was.
Speaker 7: I was in LA for like two weeks and got on that game show and won like two grand on that game show.
Speaker 1: I was, I was eighteen years old.
Speaker 2: What advice? Because he went and spent a week off the show. Yeah, trying to get on prices, right, you let him do that. I did, because he just wants to do it. And then but they never put him on the energy you hadd and put you on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a bad one, man. I don't know what happened.
Speaker 9: I felt like maybe the first day I went a little too over the top, yeah, and was just talking to everybody, was up in everybody's business, and like, so then I kind of tried to calm it. I tried to go for Valentine's Day, but I didn't have a couple, so they wouldn't let me on then. And then so the third day I tried to be a little more calm and reserved.
Speaker 3: That didn't work either.
Speaker 1: That's a great story. Who didn't love that story? Did you guys love that story?
Speaker 4: It was a great storyline for yeah, that's a.
Speaker 1: Great cartoon story right there.
Speaker 7: I think they want like housewives though, and things like that on prices, right maybe, yeah, maybe I could be wrong. I don't produce it, but I think your energy is great. Maybe they were just looking for different energy that it was just a bad day. Man, Do you even know any prices? If I threw things up here, which you've been able.
Speaker 3: To get everything?
Speaker 1: Really? I thought, okay, well I should have known.
Speaker 9: I can't tell you how much your jacket is, or your shoes or your watch because it looks all expensive.
Speaker 3: But if it's cheap, I.
Speaker 6: Know what it is, Like a carton of milk heinos, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Wow, okay, it's carton out like five five? I have no I didn't even know if that's gallon. Here, we'll see the garden cartoon. Yes, serious, tell me about that garden cartoon.
Speaker 1: Thank you for asking.
Speaker 7: When I first up Nickelodeon, I wanted I've been developing this cartoon for years, but I Nickelodeon would never make it, only because they would never make a Christian cartoon. I had a great time at Nickelodeon, but they just weren't into making that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: So I was I was developed.
Speaker 7: I was developing this stuff, this cartoon, the Garden Cartoon, for years, and I ended up making it on my own. It's about a little lion named Lenny a little lamb named Lucy, and they live and work in a miraculous garden and every day God comes down as a rainbow and gives them an assignment and they have to do it, and through a song or a scripture, they learn how to do it, but they normally don't do it as well as they should, so they have a great time learning. The show is funny first. I wanted to make it funny. It's basically fairly odd parents with scripture in it. I wanted to make it funny and make it like something that you know, kids could be entertained by first before they got a lesson out of it. So I think it's great. It's on Angel Studios now. We got twenty half hours we made and it's just been a blast to make.
Speaker 2: Work with their wife.
Speaker 7: I work with my wife, Julienne, who is the love of my life. Thirty four years I've been married, and so what is her role? She is my number one, my main motivator in life, and she also handles all the money, So be nice to my wife. She handles all the money, got it, She's the one.
Speaker 3: Okay, how cool would it be to play God?
Speaker 2: Like anybody that says that, be afraid of them?
Speaker 3: How cool?
Speaker 2: So generally I'm afraid of people to say that.
Speaker 9: Someone runs in at a party. So what do you do for a living? Oh, I'm on the you know garden cartoon?
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm the voice of God? I mean how cool.
Speaker 1: Does that sound?
Speaker 2: You could be God's brother?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, Jerry, God's brother, God's brother Jerry. Who's Harry?
Speaker 2: Jerry's better than Ryde. I've yeah, gotten ride.
Speaker 3: I'll be there man.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but now you'd be great on a voice. As a voice on that, I think all of you guys would do. We could have the horse goal, you could have the Princess.
Speaker 1: Of course.
Speaker 7: The girl who plays Lucy the Lamb is a lot like you. She has a really nice feminine voice, so she's very Yeah, she's so cute, like, yeah.
Speaker 9: Is that a much?
Speaker 1: A great show?
Speaker 7: It's all over the place, and we had a great time making it. But that's one of those things where I had to not just learn how to do that. It was already I already knew how to make the show, but then distributing the show, getting it out in the world. I had to learn all that stuff because when you have your own studio, you gotta buy all the supplies and and and hire all the people and all that stuff. So I've been really elevated to a different level, which I think God's really shown favor in my life in that way, because I've had to learn a lot.
Speaker 2: Did you do any of the voices on Fairly Odd Parents?
Speaker 7: I did one doctor he's a he's the fairy Doctor's name is doctor Rip Studwell, and doctor Rip Studwell is a handsome fairy doctor who also plays one on TV. And so he would come in and uh and he would do he would be like, well, this is terrible. What's wrong, doctor rip stud Well? My headshots came out horrible? You know that type of thing, you know. So he's not really focused on the mission at hand.
Speaker 2: Whenever you have a show that is picked up by a network, do they order four episodes, ten episodes? And when does it go from This is something that we are going to really settle in with and this is going to be a show for a long time.
Speaker 7: It really depends on the audience depends if the audience wants to wants to watch it anymore. You know, back in the day at Nickelodeon, we were getting a thing called ratings. You guys know what ratings are, obviously you're you're in radio. So we would get ratings every week, and like, let's say, back in the day, a good rating was a five. Fairly our parents was getting like tens and elevens back then. So Nickelodeon is like, yeah, we need to keep picking this show up. And there were cond times where we would beat SpongeBob in the ratings and stuff like that. I mean, SpongeBob's an awesome show, but we would sometimes meet it in the ratings, so they knew they had a hit on their hands, which was really cool.
Speaker 2: I'm assuming you're still getting paid handsomely because they're still running it.
Speaker 7: I don't know our the word handsomely, but yeah, we do get stay. Yeah, we do get paid. No, we definitely get paid for sure. But that's one of the things too. I mean, you get to create a show, you get to get paid to do it. It's a wonderful thing. You do get residuals, you do get things in the future that add up, which is really really great. That's why people come to Hollywood. They want to you know, that's a very lucrative reward if you can make it work. But like, it takes a long I'd always tell people like selling a show is like throwing a dart through a donut, but the donuts on a Merry go round. It's all just got to line up perfectly. But you got to keep throwing, and you got to keep trying, because if you don't keep trying, you're never gonna make it happen in the first place.
Speaker 2: In Hollywood, do you sometimes not say what you do because you know people are then always going to try to impress you by doing what they think you want them to do to get a job.
Speaker 1: I mean, like if I.
Speaker 7: Walk into a room and people start doing voices for me like that, that's like that kind of a thing I would know.
Speaker 1: Who would ever do?
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 7: Sometimes I actually like telling people what I do because nobody expects it.
Speaker 1: It's like, what do you do? I'm a lawyer? What do you do? I'm I work in medicine. What do you do?
Speaker 7: I draw cartoons? Everyone goes, what what do you mean to draw cartoons? Tell me more, and I say I do the fairly outparnts and they go, what you gotta be? So that's it's always kind of fun to spring that up, which is good. And I get recognized a lot of starf Bucks too, which is very interesting because that that age range, that gen Z millennial age range is people that kind of grew up with my show. So I have a lot of Starbucks coffee cups with my pictures drawn on them.
Speaker 1: They'll draw characters for me.
Speaker 2: That's so cool. Okay, everybody can ask one final question to Butch. I know you're all sitting here, we have any questions? Yes, they have one hundred, so I'm gonna give them one first.
Speaker 6: Well have you ever had a fish character or do you have a fish character coming up? Because something that I said, well even on the radio fifteen twenty years ago, was I always wanted to be the voice of a fish.
Speaker 4: I don't know why.
Speaker 6: I have no idea, It's just something that has come out from time to time, so sort of like it's just.
Speaker 2: Like, could it be your Christian faith?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, fish?
Speaker 6: Like you know growing up my mom got the fish magnet on her car.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, of course, So I don't know.
Speaker 6: It's just one of those things where you look back and it's like, oh wow. I kind of manifested that because it happened. Like I always said I wanted to be in a Hallmark Christmas movie, and then I handed a role on a Christmas movie on HBO.
Speaker 4: Thank you. My big scene was in the bathroom.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. Wow. I thought he would say something like that.
Speaker 3: It was with the thought I would have that too.
Speaker 1: It's a bathroom for sure.
Speaker 4: The director said, this is a pivotal moment.
Speaker 6: This was like it was when the main character like shifted because of my scene.
Speaker 4: So you know, that was my moment there.
Speaker 6: But that happened, so I sort of said it on air and then things just started to happen.
Speaker 4: It took years.
Speaker 7: So that is a fish character on Fairly Odd Parents because the fairies would turn into fish when they were in Timmy's bedroom, they would they were fairies, but then when the parents would come in, they would disguise themselves as fish and being a fishbowl. So I guess that characters would turn into fish.
Speaker 2: Yeah, did you have a fish character in mind? Amy?
Speaker 6: It was really I just it could be any kind of fish and it's sort of just something I've even said casually and buzzing.
Speaker 1: Like Finding Nemo.
Speaker 4: Oh I loved Finding Nemo right there? Great movie. So anyway, if you if if you.
Speaker 6: Have a fish character, yeah, I would love the opportunity to audition if a fish, write.
Speaker 4: It down or where's the post it?
Speaker 7: I can give you my I'm gonna write down fish characters. There's a line real quick, can you say? I want you to give me a laugh and say, oh the bubbles tickle? Ready one too? Great?
Speaker 2: That go the bubbles tickle?
Speaker 1: Beautiful job.
Speaker 2: I want to catch you. That was so good. Wow, I love that.
Speaker 4: Just throw me back though, Eddie.
Speaker 5: Okay, so but this is a real question. I'm not trying to like you know, I don't believe you true true question. Okay, how does someone audition for you? Like is there open casting calls? And then how many do you get? You get like thousands of people? And how do you swift through all that?
Speaker 7: Now you you, as a voice actor, have to create a what's known as a real a sample version of all your voices about a two minute reel, and then that gets taken to an agent and that agent puts it into a file and then when the casting call comes through, the agent sees it and they will then look at your reel and then they'll just whether or not you're good enough for the role. So out of the thousand that try, they'll sift it down to about ten, and I'll get those ten and then I'll pick one out of the ten. It's a very very competitive field.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 5: Have you ever hired someone and then halfway through the production being like, it's just not gonna work.
Speaker 7: Yeah, today, As a matter of fact, this morning, I was going to hire you, but I have to twitch them, Sorr, I have to change.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no.
Speaker 7: I have many times you hire somebody, think they're great, and for some reason the day of the recording, it just doesn't work out.
Speaker 1: For some reason.
Speaker 7: There's been celebrities I've worked with where you get this great celebrity voice coming in and then for some reason they get behind the mic, and it's really weird when they're not in front of a camera. Being in front of a cameras different than being behind a mic, and so it's just different for them. And so sometimes they just don't bring it and you have to kind of you have to you let them do it and then you kind of change them up at the end. So yeah, we've had that, sadly we've had to do that sometimes.
Speaker 2: Lex Box.
Speaker 3: Your final question, Yeah, Butch, nice beating you. Thanks for coming man.
Speaker 9: I just want to say, uh, just let me get jot down your number and your email so we can skip through all the agents.
Speaker 2: And all that.
Speaker 3: Yes, now that we know each other, you kind of know what I have.
Speaker 2: We know each other really well now exactly if you.
Speaker 9: Could just shoot me over your email and your phone number and that way you've lines you want me to you know, test out, drop them to me and I'll send them back.
Speaker 1: My email is don't email me at Butch Hartman.
Speaker 6: H yeah, wait in the real how many voices you say? They send a real with all their voices? Like, what's the ideal?
Speaker 7: Whenever your ranges. If you can do five voices, you can do ten. Just make sure it sounds like it. I always say, write a scene where like five people are talking to each other, and do that scene all the five, all.
Speaker 2: The different basically Eddie Murphy in uh yeah, doctor doctor, do all the.
Speaker 7: Characters do little or or a nutty profession that one too. Yeah, yeah, but you can do whatever voices you can do. Let's hear it, because it's gonna really it's going to depend on whether I go, oh, that's really cool.
Speaker 1: I could use that, you know. And also it's connections to who you know.
Speaker 2: Sometimes I know you now, so that's wrong.
Speaker 1: I'll give you my real later on.
Speaker 2: I want to go to Mike D. Mike D is our animation expert. Here, Mike, you have really okay.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I was a part of that demographic that millennial watch that show all all the time. Did you ever get a note of like you were maybe making a character turned into something like the Fairly Odd Parents And Nickeolodey was like.
Speaker 2: Man, you can't do that.
Speaker 7: We never well, the fairies could turn into things on the show, as you know, and uh, we never got a note on that. But we did want to do a show once where we wrote a script. Timmy wanted to know where babies come from, and so we wrote this whole episode if they go to the stork factory up and up in the clouds, right, and so we had all these storks, these different babies, conveyor belts and all this. It was really funny story. They said, you can't do that story. We can't do where the babies come from?
Speaker 1: And I said, why not? We do all these other things. So that was one story we couldn't do.
Speaker 7: But other than that other changing into things, we kept it pretty clean mostly.
Speaker 1: You know, we kind of knew where our line was.
Speaker 7: I mean because we were working in kids TV, so we knew we couldn't do all stuff let's say, like a Rick and Morty episode or like you know, I got South Park EPI, so we couldn't go there with that kind of humor.
Speaker 1: But we have a lot of jokes that we that kids like your age now go. I get all those jokes I didn't get when I was a kid.
Speaker 7: You know, the adults get them now. So it's it was pretty fun doing that.
Speaker 8: And then oh sorry, oh I'm not like these guys. I don't want to get into voice acting, but I love drawing. Like during the show, I'll make like little doodles over here, Like what is your advice is if they make a real Like what do you do as an animator?
Speaker 1: Same thing? You have a portfolio and let me see what you can do.
Speaker 7: Let me see your drawings, let me see how let me see your cartoon stuff, let me see your realistic stuff, your life drawing stuff, because if I'm gonna hire you as an artist, You've got to be able to draw my stuff. Like I said, Remember I said about making your life easier. You know, you need to make my life easier. Like you know, can I what's your name, Mike?
Speaker 1: Mike? I said, Can Mike draw this? Can Mike do this? Okay?
Speaker 7: Oh Mike, give that to Mike. Mike can do that. That's what I want. That's the kind of guy I want to hire. You know I want to hire Mike. Is Mike can draw that. But if Mike draws it, messes it up and then Butcher has to draw it. It's like, why is Mike here? What is Mike doing here? Good point that type of this means drawing, by the way, when I do this.
Speaker 2: So the Guarden cartoons streaming on Angel Studios, and I guess I have Apple TV and Roku. I can just get it.
Speaker 7: You get it there, and we just we just signed an exclusive season two deal with Angel as well for Garden, so that's going on there as well. We have two movies out too, so a Christmas movie just came by, and we had one last summer too, so garden's doing really well.
Speaker 1: We're really excited about it.
Speaker 2: Before you came in, I would not tell them who was coming in, and I said, it is a secret guest because I knew that it would be an eruption like this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we would have been more prepared.
Speaker 2: I didn't want them to be there because they want You guys.
Speaker 7: Did great, you guys, and I almost looking for voice actors too. So keep rest assured. I will remember all of this, believe me, but you especially, I'll remember why.
Speaker 2: I do know why.
Speaker 1: I don't know why.
Speaker 3: I remember why.
Speaker 5: Let me tell you though. Somebody that's not gonna make your life easy is that dude right there?
Speaker 2: But if I give it because I'm this is really cool. So thank you for drawing this. I'm gonna keep this. I'm gonna value this. Would you draw one of this from Mike when you're done, because Mike is such a big fan. And so before you get out of it, what character.
Speaker 1: Do you want Mike?
Speaker 7: I love Timmy, Timmy, Okay, I'll draw it while we talk. If I can do this at the same time, keeps.
Speaker 2: Then I'll do a little promo for you while you do that. You guys can follow Butch at Butch Hartman and go to the Butch Hartman Studios. And again as we talked about the Garden cartoon streaming on Angel Studios.
Speaker 7: I'm all over TikTok and Instagram and all that stuff too, So follow me for an old guy. Not too bad getting a few followers here and there. So thanks for thanks you on people for letting me on your social media.
Speaker 2: Is it still but Hartman on TikTok? Do you have the name just.
Speaker 1: Butch Hartman on TikTok?
Speaker 2: Right there, you guys really amazing. He's John little timmy.
Speaker 3: Two point four million followers on TikTok.
Speaker 7: Dang two point four and one two three, four, five six more writing six more right today?
Speaker 2: Right o, may what what did you see over there?
Speaker 3: I'm just looking at the followers.
Speaker 2: That's two point three more than you.
Speaker 9: Huh No, it's like two point four more than me.
Speaker 1: Wait right there, that's your little worst of the camera. Wait at this camera here? Where there you go? Okay, come on, can you come get this? All right? But I hope you like it.
Speaker 2: But this has been a thrill for me and exciting for all of them, So thank you so much.
Speaker 1: For Hey, it's an honor to be here. I'm really grateful to be on guys.
Speaker 2: Thank you, good luck with your good luck with the new venture, and thank you. You know, if they all show up with your booth later today, don't be surprised.
Speaker 7: I would love you guys to come by the way. We we we went all out in this booth. It's really cool. It's very big. All the shows are on display. It's really cool. So it's over at the Gaylord Hotel. Have you've been to this hotel?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's more like a city.
Speaker 1: It's a city. It's like an amusement park, city greenhouse.
Speaker 7: It's massive, it's huge. There is its speaking of Jurassic Park. I think there's things roaming around in there. I'm not really sure.
Speaker 1: There's a huge jungle in there. It's crazy.
Speaker 2: It fits. It's the Opery's over there.
Speaker 1: I know it's massive.
Speaker 2: I know there is the Great Butch Harman. Everybody.
Speaker 1: Thank you, guys, honored, honored, thank you, thank you,