Speaker 1: On the Bechdelcast. The questions asked if movies have women and them, are all their discussions just boyfriends and husbands or do they have individualism? It's the patriarchy, Zephyn bast start changing with the Bechdel Cast.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to the Bechdel Cast. My name is Caitlin Drante, my.
Speaker 1: Name is Jamie Loftus, and this is our podcast where we talk about your favorite movies using an intersectional feminist lens. Starting beta test Kitlan, what's that.
Speaker 2: Well? It's a media metric created by queer cartoonist Alison Bechdel, sometimes called the Bechdel Wallace Test as it was co created with Liz Wallace. It is a media metric that has many permutations. Ours is do two characters of a marginalized gender have names? Do they speak to each other? And is their conversation about something other than a man? And we particularly like it when it's a narratively relevant conversation or just something significant and not just like Hi, how's the weather or whatever?
Speaker 1: And today's a very special episode. It's one of a handful of documentaries that we've covered on this show before. But it just if you've seen this documentary. It begs to be talked about. There's no shortage of story and if you haven't seen it, it's streaming in so many places. Get it together.
Speaker 2: The documentary of course, Being Paris is Burning from nineteen ninety directed by Jenny Livingston. It is yeah, widely accessible, it's iconic, and we have a wonderful guest here with us to talk about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: They are an award winning creator, writer, author. They are a co host of BFF Black Fat theem podcast. Their book Fat Femme, Revealing the Power of visibly queer voices in Media and Learning to Love Yourself comes out March twenty fifth.
Speaker 3: It's John Yay, welcome, dum hey everybody. How you doing.
Speaker 1: We're great, happy almost release.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know we're wait, oh god, oh my god. There's like thirty one with thirty two more days last.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like exactly, no, it's sooner because it's.
Speaker 3: February that part. Yeah, you know what, there aren't that many. Yeah, so it is a little bit sooner. So it's somewhere around like the like twenty nine thirty days or something like that. But yeah, you know, I'm a little excited, a little nervous, but I will say this. I sent it to my mom and sheat my mom she reads very quickly, and she called me one day and she was like, I'm on page one oh seven and I just want to say I'm very proud of you. And I was like, thanks, Mom, So yeah, So I'm very much in the mind of like, I'm happy that it landed with her. I was worried for a moment, but it landed, so.
Speaker 1: That's so beautiful. I sent my dad my first draft of my book, and if the response was a little muted, he was like, you know, Jamie, I really like what you're going for here. There are some grammar mistakes. Would you like me to send them to you in a document? And I was like, yeah, I guess yeah. And then like six months later he was like, by the way, I enjoyed it, yeah, yeah, yeah, so cool.
Speaker 2: I love that. Well, tell us more about your book, John.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so quickly. You know, one of the things that I had I've always been very vigilant about is the idea of how black and specifically black queer voices are either not uplifted or celebrated in media. And that's kind of what I built my whole platform one, right, how do I continue to uplift the voices of those who often don't have the mic? And so I like to tell people that I started this book back, and this is also just a testament to how long it can take to write a book. I started. I went to a Lambda literary retreat back in twenty seventeen, started playing with the idea of writing a book there, and it just kind of set in my Google drafts forever. And then the pandemic came and all my friends wrote books, and everyone got one, you know, everyone got one in or even got two in, and I was just still kind of like, no, no, no, no, I don't think I could do it. And then I just got to a point. You know what ended up happening was I was, you know, playing with it, going back and forth with different agents. And then in twenty twenty three ish, you know, or twenty twenty four, actually, I went to sun Dance and I saw the Luther documentary. And I tell everybody that that was kind of like the catalyst of me wanting to be like, oh god, I know what I'm writing. I saw the documentary, I saw the way that they danced around his queerness, how they didn't talk about his queerness, but also how they did, And I said, you know, there's got to be a way for us to kind of celebrate, you know, like even just looking at Luther and looking at Luther's story, I went back into my own memories about how I thought about queerness from the lens of how my family talked about Luther. And that's kind of how I opened the book. I talk about the idea of how people what they said and what they didn't say about Luther and what that said to me as a young queer kid in southern California. And so I basically get to a point where I start talking about this idea of how I literally had to figure out how to find myself through media, like writing about Luther and his experience and what I got from that. It really helped me understand how I found myself through media. And so that's really what the book is. I talk about Luther, and again it's not about his sexuality per se. It's about all the things I was afraid to delve into because of how my family talked about Luther. And then my first time meeting Andre Leon Talley on the show America's next top model, Miss Jay, you know, Derek j. Miss Lawrence, Like all of these black queer figures I'm seeing in television and what that's telling me about my own identity and how I'm learning through them to find myself. So it's a lot of you know, there's also like moments I talk about what happened to me in college. I talk about fat phobia. I talk about the idea of how much we live, Like how the two thousands lie to us. I talk very, very very vocally about how much the two thousands was. It was just it was shit. It was awful, Like the two thousands was terrible.
Speaker 1: I mean it's like just such a period of like absurd regression. It's wild to look back on lucky us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And so I talk about that, like how two thousands shaped my you know, body dysmorphia, and you know, all the things I was doing to try to lose weight while I was in college, to keep up with the other queer kids I was running in groups with, and just really this this overall kind of like how did I get to this place? You know, I get asked out a lot, how do you how are you so confident? How are you so happy in who you are? Like a lot of therapy and a lot of writing. So that's really what it is. But yeah, that's pretty much what my book is. In a nutshell, it's just kind of an ode and a celebration of those who came before us and those who are still here because I know that no one else is going to give them their flowers, and so ultimately I thought, why not? Why not me? Why not I do that?
Speaker 2: So why not? Yeah? That's amazing. I can't wait to read It's sing And it's also a component of the documentary we'll be discussing is kind of an examination of how media influences the participants of the ballroom scene and how they emulate certain people or certain TV shows or stars or you know, all that kind of stuff. So that'll be fun to dive into.
Speaker 1: And there's also so much of like the legacy of Paris is burning that there's which I that was the thing I was not familiar with going in, is like the year's long legacy that the Spavia's had, positive, negative, everything in between.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: So John, what's your relationship slash history with this documentary? Yeah?
Speaker 3: You know, so it was one of the documentaries. So I'll say this, I did not know really anything. Again, obviously I tell people, you know, if you go out and get my book, you know, I talk very openly about how I grew up in a cult, and so I do believe that, you know, Jehovah Witnesses are cults, they are part of the cult sect. And so growing up in the cult, you know, I was very very what's the word, not even protected, but I was scared to indulge anything that had queer content. And so I didn't really get to Paris's Burning until probably two thousand and four. And so this is a time where you know, I know about ball room, you know, miss right. I know I know about it, but I don't know it per se right. And so in two thousand and four, I'm in college, you know, I take an Art of film class and that was one of you know, Aaron Race may may he rest in peace. He was one of I'm gonna say he was my favorite instructor. But I really appreciate it the way he did his class. He did his class, and so it was an art of film and I was very much into writing at the time, and he basically had positive you know, this is what a good you know, a good drama is, this is what a good comedy is, and this is what a good documentary is. And so Paris Is Burning was the documentary that he posited for that class. We watched it in class. It was a four hour It was a summer class, and so the summer classes were hell along. If anybody's ever taken the summer class out of college, you know, you're in class for like six hours. And so, you know, we watched the class. We watched the film for two hours, and then we worked in groups and we had to dissect what made the documentary great. And that was my first, you know, entrance into that film. And I think what I really loved about the film was that it was giving so many people, specifically trans women or non binary people. It was giving them airtime, like they had a voice. And I had never seen anyone who looked like you know, Peppala Basia or anyone who looked like, you know, Willie Ninja or anything like that, and so it just felt like I was like, oh my god, these are my people. Even though this film was made almost fifteen years ago, you know, I still feel like I found my home right, and so it was just it was a very awakening. I feel like the film really awakened something in me in regards to not only narrative storytelling, but it also awakened kind of this notion of like, wow, this is a subculture, you know, in a subculture that I feel like I have some type of home in if that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course, yeah, Jamie. What's your history with the documentary?
Speaker 1: I saw this documentary in high school in uh. I think it was from my music teacher. She also like did the dance stuff in our like plays and stuff, and so she would just kind of show us whatever she felt like, and so she showed us Paris's Burning. I want to say I was in like tenth or eleventh grade and I hadn't revisited since, but it was I'm very glad I saw it as young as I did, so thanks miss Bolani shout out to her. But I mean, I just remember, you know, being this like big class full of teenagers that you know, it was whatever, the late two thousands, So some kids were total assholes, but most of most everyone was like really really really pulled in. I had never seen a documentary like it before. I think at that point, perhaps tragically, the closest I was familiar with was like the Madonna Vogue music video that I was like obsessed with anytime, like my mom would turn it on for me, which I you know, that is an element of this very complicated conversation around ballroom culture and how white celebrities have sort of co opted it over the years. But when I saw Paris Is Burning, I was like, oh, this is what this is, this is what she saw, and was like, you know, I want to present this in my whatever Madonna way, But yeah, I was really taken with it, particularly obviously, I mean we'll talk about everyone in the in the film, particularly Venus, and yeah, I don't know, I just I was really taken by it, and I hadn't revisited it in years, and I had just rewatched it anyways, because I've been working on a project about this feels weirdly tangential but drag in comedy, because I interviewed that do you remember the YouTube video with Kelly.
Speaker 3: Shoes Shoes Yeah, yes, yes, yes.
Speaker 1: So I was doing just like some background on on on drag and the history of drag because I interviewed Liam Kyle's all and who plays Kelly. And I just read a book that I would highly recommend called Decolonized Drag by Kareem Kupchandani that I think came out a couple of years ago. So I don't know, I mean it's Paris's Burning. I know it is just like a huge touchstone for a lot of people, and it was definitely my first gateway into, you know, seeing this world and also like revisiting it. I was so happy to see again just how inclusive the world of this documentary is and how I mean, like you're saying, John, how you know on drag race trans people weren't allowed to compete for years and years in this really restrictive way. And again, like Paris is Burning is the real deal. It is a full community, and it's just it's beautiful. So it's really fun to revisit. Caitlyn, what is your history with this field?
Speaker 2: I saw it during the great Caitlin movie binge of two thousand and four slash two thousand and five. Yes, I was a It was like during my freshman slash sophomore year in college and I was a film student, and I realized how few movies I'd actually seen I went into film school being like, I'm a scholar already. I don't even know why I'm here. I already know everything about movies.
Speaker 1: I've seen Indiana Jones, one, two, and three.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you thinkom because I know the I know film And it turns out I didn't know shit.
Speaker 2: So I started compiling just like a list of all the movies I felt like I needed to watch. And I was getting all the Netflix DVDs back when that was still a bad What a time? What a time? I got three at a time at a time you.
Speaker 3: Had the premium.
Speaker 2: Oh, you have the money. So I was cycling through those and Paris Is Burning is one of the ones I watched, and it was probably my first exposure to actually seeing a trans person on screen who was not a like CIS actor playing a trans person because for some reason, I was like really attached to the movie Boys Don't Cry in high school. I watched it many many times, but of course that is an example of a SIS actor playing a trans character slash trans real life person, So I think, yeah, seeing this documentary was probably, if not the first, one of the very first times I saw an actual transperson on screen, and I learned a lot, and I enjoyed the documentary very much. But like you, Jamie, I hadn't revisited it in many, many years, so I was very excited to dive back in and revisited it. And there's so much to talk about. It's really interesting to see the ways in which, like things discussed in the documentary are still very relevant and also some of the ways in which things feel quite dated by our standards today. So lots to discuss. Excited to get into it. Before we do. Let's take a quick break and then we'll come back for the recap and we're back, okay. So here's the recap of Paris is Burning. It's a little tricky to do a recap for a documentary because it doesn't follow, you know, a standard narrative three x structure. But I think I did a pretty swell job here. But feel free to jump in and fill in any blanks. But this is, of course, a documentary about the ballroom scene in New York City, specifically Harlem in nineteen eighty seven. Ballroom, of course, referring to a subculture of the LGBTQ plus community, where predominantly black and LATINX queer folk put on balls, which are shows slash competitions where participants walk on a runway, so to speak, they model their outfit. There is often a component of drag and or costumes. There's often dancing, especially voguing. There are different categories.
Speaker 1: There's music, there's dynasties, there's families. There's family rivalries.
Speaker 3: Yes, there is. The rivalry is where it's at.
Speaker 2: Those were some of my favorite parts of the doc where I think it's Freddie who says House of Lebasia, I wouldn't be caught dead there. Yeah, but the ballroom scene is all about self expression and being in a space where you can be safe and comfortable and celebrated in your queer identity.
Speaker 3: Can I also make a no, I'm not to cut you off, but I also think it's it's also imperative to note that there was also as much as it was fun, there was a lot of tension in those spaces, Like specifically that's seen with the jack it right, and they were saying that the person who was walking men's but they said it was a woman's jacket and they were like going, there was like a hole. It literally stopped the entire event, this jacket that they proclaimed to be a woman's jacket. So it just I felt it was important to note that because I think as much as it was fun and celebratory, it was also there was a lot of drama. There was a lot of.
Speaker 2: Drama for sure, and the response, it's the buttons are on the right side was set, Mama was up set.
Speaker 1: It was also really I mean, there's one of the things that I guess I hadn't really remembered about. It was the generational tension as well, like that is really really interesting to explore, and all I know in ways that we'll talk about, but I was like, oh, yeah, this is like sort of a It really is like generations of a family trying to all be at the same event, which always ends in a fight of some sort. So it's not shocking.
Speaker 3: It's like Thanksgiving every day at the ball, like, you know, the older auntie says something to the younger cousin, and the younger cousin is like, you know what, you don't know anything like let's talk about your your dirt, right, you want to talk about my dirt, Let's talk about yours. And I was going to say that, like you know, as much as you know, I have the privilege. So recently I went to Creating Change earlier this year, and earlier this year, like we literally January felt like it was eighteen months. So January I've spent, let me tell you, right, And so I went to Creating Change back last month, I should say, and they had a ball there. It was an actual ball, and it was the same thing. It was very much like as I'm watching the event play out at Creating Change, I'm watching, like, you know, Paris's burning play out in my head, where you have people who are like legends coming up to walk and they're being cut off by people who think that they are currently a legend, and so now there's tension between people and who's walking. What It's just, it was. It was fun, but I could see like Paris is burning playing out in my head as I'm watching the ball take place, So it's still present, It's still present.
Speaker 2: The drama remains.
Speaker 1: One of the I think most heavily featured queens in the in the documentary is Dorian Corey, who just like the number of like both extremely shady and funny and also profoundly wise, like those are Dorian's two settings. But I think Dorian really really really sets this like this generational divide between the older generation and the newer generation in a way that is like really fascinating and also super funny because she's super funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it felt like Dorian Corey and Pepper Labasia being the ta who like the generational differences on what they say in their attitudes about things are most prominent.
Speaker 1: But yeah.
Speaker 2: Over the course of the doc documentary, we meet several people in this scene, starting with Pepper Labasia, the mother of the House of Lebasia and has been for two decades. We also meet some younger members in the scene, like Kim Pendavis and Kim's friend in protege, Freddie Pendavis. Kim is an aspiring legend. The goal of participating in Balls is to become a legend or to be legendary. Pepper Labasia, for example, is considered a legend. We also meet Dorian Corey shortly after this, another legend. In the scene, Dorian Corey talks about the differences between Ballroom now aka in the late eighties when this documentary was filmed, and Ballroom from when Dorian was first starting out, which I believe would have been I don't know if it was like the fifties or sixties. But first it was like elaborate drag where people were dressing similar to like Vegas showgirls. Then it was people trying to emulate movie stars. Then it became about emulating model like supermodels walking down the runway. As time went on, more categories were created to be more inclusive. So there's categories like high fashion, winter sportswear, luscious body, schoolboy slash schoolgirl, realness, town and Country, executive realness, military, high fashion, eveningwear, and a very specific category butch Queen first time in drags at a ball, to name just a few of the categories.
Speaker 1: It is so this dock. The categories are not all of them, but some of them are so profoundly eighties that you're like, okay, yes, right, it's wild. And it was also interesting here Dorian speak to the philosophy in costuming and how that's changed, not just like to reflect the whatever the western beauty ideals of the period are, but also like the price of costumes.
Speaker 3: Where we're gonna say that yeah, right, like.
Speaker 1: There's this there's a class component to it as well, where it sounds like when Dorian was coming up, you know, everyone made their own costumes. It was very scrappy, and that was understood where by the time the documentary is being filmed, it's again very eighty thing of like designer labels by any means necessary, and in Dorian's opinion, something that required an equal amount of scrappiness but less creativity. Like it was interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was going to say to that point, that was actually one of the things that one of the first things that was on my mind was that it really this film really shows not even just depression, but it shows the the gap that so many of you know, trans specifically trans black women were experiencing in that moment, right It shows the pay disparity, It shows you know, a lot of them being houseless, and you know a lot of them talking about what they have to do to survive. And I think, you know, I don't want to get ahead of myself, but what I will say is that I think that them opening talking about that, right about this classism that lives in it, you know, that lives in this ball world, really says a lot to what's actually happening to them outside of these ballrooms, right, Like, it's really giving you a greater understanding of what the disparity was, and I thought it was actually very interesting. I forget who it was, I have such a hard time remembering names, but the woman who was talking about wanting to go model, and you know, and how they did that inner cut to all at the time, it's you know, very eighties, but you know all these high level fashion you know, high level stores and all of these high level things, right even and then you you talk about like even just the different categories. I think one of the category was dynasty, right, so the whole notion of you know, people trying to pretend to be opulent and you know, I want to say herbaceous, but I don't know if that's the right word. But like, you just had a lot of people trying to live in a financial category that they could never attain, at least in that moment or in that time. It was very very far fetched and it was really hard for them to attain it, and so they were playing this out in different categories in the ball and I always thought that was so interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, lots to discuss there, and throughout the documentary there are various discussions about race, class, gender, sexuality, the intersections of all of those things and how systemic biases affect the participants in the ballroom community. So yeah, we'll get more into that in a bit. There's also talk of essentially code switching and efforts to quote unquote pass as straight, which is characterized as realness. In this context. Realness also refers to passing as a different gender than the one you were assigned at birth. There's lots we can discuss there as well. Pepper Labasia talks about her parents discovering that she had breasts and wore women's clothing, and how she was ostracized for this. Side note here, From what I understand, Pepper Lebasia had breast implants and preferred she her pronouns, but did not identify as a woman. She goes into this a little bit later in the documentary, but she talks about how young teens would come to her looking for a parental figure after they've been kicked out of their house for being queer, and this kind of leads into a discussion of found family chosen family, which is connected to houses in the ballroom community where people belong to different houses such as the house of Labasia, House of Chanel, House of Dupre, house of Extravaganza, etc.
Speaker 1: And they like function as real families family.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that section with Pepper explaining like I'm a mother, but I'm also like a mother, like I'm buying birthday presents and which is just I don't know, as a really moving section totally.
Speaker 2: We meet Venus Extravaganza, a young trans woman who was brought into the House of Extravaganza. We'll see more and more of her throughout the documentary. We also meet the mother of this house, Angie Extravaganza, who we see winning an award for being like best mother of a house. We also meet Willie Ninja, mother of the House Ninja, and there's talk of you know, like you said, Jimmy, like mothers providing care and support and buying birthday presents and sometimes like giving younger members.
Speaker 1: Really right, who talks about buying birthday presents? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well also and Angie Extravaganta, Like, I think a lot of them touch on this, but yeah, they're basically like providing care for the like children aka members of their house. There's also talk of like this house is the best, yeah, the most legendary, the most popular. Oh that house, I wouldn't be caught dead in that house. So there's rivalries. As we discussed earlier, fights breakout, people throw shade at each other and fist.
Speaker 3: The girls fight, they do fight.
Speaker 2: They talk about something called reading, which is throwing very specific insults at one another, the idea being like, oh, well, if straight people insult a member of the queer community, that's very different than members of the queer community in insulting each other. So that's the idea behind reading, and then throwing shade is like similar but more like subtextual, where the insults are a little bit more you know, it's shady for lack of a better word.
Speaker 3: Yes, Dorian said, I don't have to tell you you're ugly. Yes, you just know you're ugly.
Speaker 1: Like it's it's yeah, it's reading, but like with telepathy.
Speaker 2: It's.
Speaker 3: That's such a cute shirt.
Speaker 1: I was like, I would not last a day. I'm too sensitive.
Speaker 2: Same yeah. And then from this came voguing, a dance that would happen between two or more people who were like feuding and throwing shade at each other other. There's also talk of class and wealth. None of the people featured in the documentary have much money, but part of Ballroom is fashion oriented and fashion costs money. High fashion costs a lot of money. So we learn about something called mopping, which and I think it's Freddy Pandavis, who is my favorite moment of the movie, was like, oh, you know, yeah, mopping. That's when you know, you go into a store and you see something and you see something that you want, and then you're looking at it and you look at the thing you want. Mopping is stealing. So yeah, it's basically you just take the outfit you want and you don't pay for it. And it's because again racism and homophobia and transphobia and all of these systemic prejudices make it so that members of this community are often living in poverty, and we also learn that many of them earn money through sex work. There is discussion of gender and transitioning and gender affirming surgeries, where different people who are interviewed have different opinions and experiences, where in some cases we see trans women living openly and happily as such, people like Octavia's Stan Laurent Brooke and Carmen Extravaganza Venus Extravaganza, and then in other cases, especially when Pepper Labasia is talking about it. There are like just more sort of dated attitudes and hints of transphobian misogyny. We can talk more about that, and then we cut to nineteen eighty nine, so a few years have passed. We check back in with a few of the major plays of the scene, such as Willie, Ninja, Dori and Corey and Angie Extravaganza, who says that Venus Extravaganza had been murdered. She was the one who had to go and identify the body and pass the news along to Angie Extravaganza's biological family. And that's the note more or less that the documentary ends on. So that is Paris is burning in a nutshell. Let's take another quick break and then we'll come back to discuss further.
Speaker 1: And we're back.
Speaker 2: We're back.
Speaker 1: Where shall we start? There's so many places start? Yeah, John, does anything stand out to you? Where would you like to start?
Speaker 3: You know? So, I think it's I think the one thing for me that has always really struck me about this film is the idea of like and again. When I saw it in two thousand and four, it was it was always like a foreign concept and foreign thought to me. But this idea of chosen family, this idea of like, you know, your family turns you know, because you you as you grow up hearing this, right, your family is the only people who always love you. And then you come out and then they're like, no, I don't just kidding, you know, just kidding by you have to go and so, you know, finding people that you you vibe with, people who truly are there for you and care for you and want to see you not just you know, survive, but like really thrive. That's the thing. You know. As much as I always thought Dorian and Pepper were really shady, I could tell by the way they talked about their chosen you know, the folks in their different homes and their houses. You could tell that there was just this very deep love and admiration that they both had for the people in their houses. And you know, I don't if you don't have you know, I'll say this. If you're a listener and you identify as straight and sists, I think there's just this And maybe I don't know how the two of you identify, but I know for me, the friends that I have and the community I've built, it's the same concept, right, you can genuinely feel that they just want the best for you. And so this film really kind of opened my mind up to that of, like, you don't necessarily have to just rely on your family to be happy. In this world. You can find people who truly want the best for you, and you can live and thrive and be happy and have a full live life, and you can also have fun. As much as these balls were shady and you know, drama was going down, there were moments where people were really happy, and there were moments when people were celebrating, you know, each other, And so I just thought that was really funny. And the last thing I'll say, I always thought it was really funny in the scene where Dorian is talking and that cat is walking behind her, Oh my god. I always said that Dorian reminds me of like, not, lady, what movie is that with the cat? It's a Disney movie. And for his New Groove, there's another movie where these cats are walking and they're just really is it the Siamese Ones? We are Siamese. It's always in the Lady in the Tramp. Okay, I was right. I was gonna say that, but I wasn't wasn't sure she reminds me of like a Siamese cat in the sense of like she just knows she's regal, she just knows she's better than everyone else. And I was like, it just was so funny to me as I was watching that doc I was like, of course there would be a cat behind her because her personality is so much like a Siamese cat. So it's just I thought that was funny.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, I loved the cat.
Speaker 1: It was really I mean, I I going off of what you were just talking about, John, it was really cool. I mean the I mean, there's so many benefits to this being a documentary obviously, but where on this show. Over the years, we've talked about so many movies that have really appealed to queer audiences because of the element it's a found family in fiction. But there's no coding here. You're just seeing the families. There is no like, you know, mental hoops that you have to go through to feel seen in a movie like Paris is Burning and that's so singular and so, you know, not completely unheard of at this time, but certainly on it seems like this scale of success, which is really amazing but brings me there's something I wanted to just touch on that. I mean, I wasn't aware really about anything when it came to the production of this movie, and wow, there's a lot. There's a lot going on that have also echoed conversations we've had before. I did not know that this movie was directed by a white woman, for example. But the director of this movie, Jenny Livingston, directed it when she was in I believe her late twenties. It's her first feature, and that and other elements of this production has garnered quite a bit of controversy over the years. I think rightfully so Jenny Livingston, I can share some quotes, but has generally stood her ground on this that there's a few different buckets of conversation and how Paris's Burning has been criticized. It's been criticized for having a white director and primarily featuring Black and Latin people in this community. There's also a compensation that I would really like to talk about because it reminds me a lot of way back when when we covered Tangerine by Sean Baker, where because white filmmakers statistically have a better chance of getting their film made scene and profiting from it, while it can produce really amazing work. It doesn't mean that those who are featured, like the entire cast of Paris Is Burning, is getting equally compensated for literally making the movie. What it is not that Jenny Livings and did nothing. Obviously a lot of great work went into making this film, but it's their stories and that is the appeal of the film. And so there's been a lot of conversation about that. At the time. I mean, this gets into like one of my pet peeves, so we'll I'll just shut up about it as quickly as possible. But compensating interviewees and how taboo that is across nonfiction filmmaking. I just think it's such a crack of shit. But you know, when this film was being made, that was the general agreement that you know, everyone signed off and agreed to. But as is unpacked in both Hollywood Reporter article from a twenty twenty one and a Vanity Fair article from twenty nineteen that reflects on this, a lot of why the subjects of this film agreed to do it is because they really wanted their stories out there. And so there is the argument that cast members have subsequently made that like, yes, I did sign the piece of paper. I wanted our community and I wanted my story out there. I agreed to not be compensated. But then the movie was acquired by Miramax and one stuff at sun Dance, and you know, eventually made four million dollars and is the basis of polls. And who's seen most of that money is Jenny Livingston, and so there have been rivalries. It does, I guess to her credit. It seems like Jenny Livingston has you know, attempted to correct this overtime. But it was it was a long, a long standing conversation. I won't unpack it beat by beat because it's literally thirty five years of back and forth. But I do want to share a quote from Jenny Livingston defending herself as a white woman. Let's see what she has to say. This is her, you know, disputing that Paris's Burning was made for white people. She says, the sense that this was a production by white pa before white people, that's not historical. That is a projection rather than a truth. You have to see paris Is Burning in the context of nonfiction. She said versions of this over the years. What she mainly appears to be alluding to is the fact that she feels that this erases many of her black collaborators who were working as producers and consultants. But the compensation issue, I think there's just she doesn't have much of a leg to stand on, I feel. So I wanted to share a quote from Pepper, who is now, as is most of the cast of this movie is no longer with us. But this is from an interview Pepper did when she was forty four, So nineteen ninety three, a California magazine said I had sued Miramax in one untold millions and was seen shopping with Diana Ross on Rodeo Drive in a roles But I really just live in the Bronx with my mom, and I am so desperate to get out of here. It's hard to be the mother of a house when you're living with your own mother. And so, as we've seen for many marginalized performers, there is a lot of publicity, there's this big cultural moment, but it doesn't translate to sustained financials, and that is always, always, always the case. I know we talked about it with Tangerine as well, but it really stands out here too where it's you know, a very similar you know, one's fiction, one's nonfiction, but a very similar setup where the white filmmaker makes a really good film but does not compensate her collaborators appropriately. And it seems like I want to wait, there's so many names. Let me see if I can find the three names I'm looking for. As of twenty twenty one, there were still three surviving cast members from Paris Is Burning. I actually didn't know that Poe's was like based based on Paris's Burning. I know there's I knew that they were like they both surround ballroom culture, but it's like officially based. Jenny Livingston was a consultant on the first two seasons, and that is a Ryan Murphy joint. And we don't have enough time to unpack Ryan Murphy today. But the surviving cast members were invited to be consultants, including Junior le Beajia, who is in Paris Is Burning, but he was the one of three that said no because he felt that there it was history repeating itself with Poe's being another story about predominantly black and brown communities in ballroom, this time by Ryan Murphy. So it's again there's a white creative at the top, and he's like, you know, I would love to get a check here, but like you're doing it again, and it's you know, twenty five years later, so we can link those pieces in the description. But yeah, I mean, this was just a conversation I was not aware of at all and found very interesting.
Speaker 2: Definitely that kind of brings me to Belle Hooks his critics of this movie. I believe this quote comes from her book entitled Black Looks, Race and Representation. Bell Hooks said quote, watching Paris's Burning, I began to think that the many yuppy looking, straight acting, pushy, predominantly white folks in the audience were there because the film in no way interrogates whiteness. These folks left the film saying it was amazing, marvelous, incredibly funny, worthy of statements like didn't you just love it? And no, I didn't love it, for in many ways, the film was a graphic documentary portrait of the way in which colonized black people, in this case black gay brothers, some of whom were drag Queen's worship at the throne of whiteness, even when such worship demands that we live in perpetual self hate, steal, go hungry, and even die in its pursuit. We evoked here is all of us black people, slash people of color, who are daily bombarded by a powerful colonizing whiteness that seduces us away from ourselves, that negates that there is beauty to be found in any form of blackness that is not imitation whiteness. And I see where she's coming from with this criticism because different people being interviewed in the documentary will say things like how they long to be rich, and they point out that part of the appeal of balls is that you can be whoever you want to be at a ball and you can live a fantasy of being able to be an executive or a socialite or other type of wealthy person because society will not afford you those opportunities if you are black, brown, queer. But this mentality of putting being wealthy on a pedestal and emulating business ex executives and like doing ceo drag.
Speaker 1: Like Dorian lays that out like really eloquently.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah right, But this mentality is very reflective of the times. You know, it's the Reagan era economic ideals of the eighties, and there wasn't a ton of pushback on that at the time, even from marginalized communities, because those ideals were just so pervasive, to the point where it was not super common to interrogate things like capitalism and white supremacy because they had just been so so so normalized. And you know, pre Internet, there weren't as many ways or resources to educate yourself or to spread information widely except by mainstream media, which was perpetuating these white supremacist, capitalist, cis, heteronormative ideologies. And I know Bell Hooks's criticism is like, yeah, but you still can and should interrogate those things. So why didn't this documentary which also fair, but like, I don't know, it's very tricky, and it also just speaks to how influential media is, where ballroom contestants through the decades were you know, emulating movie stars and characters from shows like Dynasty, which I was like, oh, yeah, that is a show that I've never watched and don't know anything about, but it was very popular in the eighties.
Speaker 1: It really been lost to time. I don't think anyone like revisits it really, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, and they did redo it recently they did it.
Speaker 2: Was in like twenty seventeen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they did for ABC. I think ABC redid it and it didn't go anywhere. But I think you speak to so that I think that's the love hate that I have with this film, right. I love what this film stands for because I am a blackquar person who is also you know, recognizing that even in twenty twenty five, a lot of the stuff that they said in the nineties was extreme. I mean twenty five years was it twenty five years ago, thirty five years ago or thirty five thirty five? Okay, so we're thirty five years out from this film. You know, even thirty five years ago, there were folks who were still dealing with a lot of the stuff we're dealing in twenty twenty five. And I think that's, like I said, the thing that I love is that you see the resilience of these people saying, you know, regardless, I'm going to live the life I want to live, i want to be happy, I'm going to find my people, I'm going to find joy. But also, like I think that's the real issue I had with the film is that we don't interrogate anything like we leave these people kind of where we found them, Like it's very much. We see you in squalor. We see that you're going through it. We see that you're unhappy to an extent, and you're using ballroom to find joy, but we're not offering you any resources to get you to a place where when you're done with this ball you have somewhere to go to your head where you feel safe, you feel seen, you have you know, you have your means. And so I think that that's the thing that gets lost in translation, is you know, and I've had to say this on so many different accords. I actually just sent an email about this this week. You know, I don't need a handout. I just need a hand And I think that's the thing that you know, I think a lot of people in the early nineties, especially when we're coming out of Reaganomics, we're watching black and brown people say these systems are set up to watch me fail, and I'm doing my best to survive them and survive through them. And the best way I know how to do that is through sex work, you know, to the degree like I'm looking around and I'm going help these people, like give them something like but then you also have to interrogate. Okay, if Jenny did come in and she was like, here's some money, then people would be interrogating her and calling her the white savior, right. So, but I think that there's just there's so many levels to oppression, and I think the biggest thing that I want folks in my rambling to hear is that there, you know, we all have to be so intentional about how we're just I won't even say reporting, because I don't think anyone really reports on our stories anymore. But I think the way that we talk about, you know, the injustices that we face, right, there is an element of privilege that's there. And I think that there's so much education you have to do to make sure that when you're going into a community that is oppressed, or when you're going into a community that needs that kind of help, that you've done your own intentional work to make sure that you're not causing more harm. And I think that's the thing that is most important for me about watching this film. It's like, yes, it's funny, and it's created such a you know, a culturally thing, and I mean ru Paul is mentioning this film like almost every season. At this point, he's had seventeen seasons of Drag Race and he comes up every single season. But I think the biggest thing is is that you have so many people who are still oppressed and are still striving to find peace after the ball, and it's like, what do we do? What do we do to end that? What do we do to help get these people the resources that they need so that way they're not left for, you know, left And I'm trying to be mindful of my words because I saw your your note.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, we don't use like zoomer, we don't use like TikTok girls.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, So just just being careful of that, right, like why are we not you know, how are we not leaving? Because that's really what it is. I mean, the fact that it ends on talking about this trans woman being killed. It so bothersome to me that that's kind of how the film ends. And it's like no one said or did anything about that, right, you know, So I don't know, it's just it's it's like I said, it's it's it's uplifting, but it's like I guess my and I'm trying not to get into my social justice soapbox. But I'm like, why is it that we're always having to be resilient? Like why why why do people enjoy watching us struggle and and try to find joy in that? And you know, and I get this all the time too, even with me. You know, oh, you have a book coming out, you have a podcasting, you want to warns it's so great, and it's like I shouldn't have to be celebrated for all that I've been through to get to where I am, like, I don't don't do that. We shouldn't have to do that. So yeah, it's just something I think a lot about after watching this film.
Speaker 2: And then like there's an extreme end of that spectrum with like the appropriation of voguing.
Speaker 1: Donna's right, which came out even before this. That was I didn't realize that had come out before this documentary. I think the documentary was filmed, but they were released around the same time, so in some ways it was like, you know, Madonna was you know, starting to sort of steal voguing in the late eighties, and then by the time the movie comes out, the video is already out and it's didn't affect her career that's for fucking sure, right.
Speaker 2: And obviously the criticism is that, you know, Madonna and already famous rich cis well, woman is profiting off of something that she appropriated from ye black and brown queer communities, and and most people didn't realize that.
Speaker 3: I would even also say too, there's a document I don't want to get too much away from Paris's Burning, but there is a documentary about how dirty she did her people, the people that she appropriated from, her choreographers and her dancers that were also in these communities that she quote unquote hired and then just let them go, and how they were just kind of like, yo, you came in here, and you know, you stole this from us and and and then didn't give us anything. And so it's just there's so much to say about entertainment, which is like white.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like white pop stars one oh one. It's like it's so much evil. It's I also wanted to mention and this isn't you know, this isn't a necessarily on Jenny Livingston, but where Paris's Burning was sort of spoke about in media at this time of like there's never been a documentary like this before which is patently untrue. It is that most of the documentaries made about underground cultures, about queer cultures were made by queer black and brown filmmakers, and so they just never got the attention or distribution. The filmmaker I've seen most mentioned in this conversation who was making films around the same time, around a lot of the same themes, and had a personal connection to these communities was Marlon Riggs, who directed I think four documentaries. He passed of complications from AIDS when he was just thirty seven. But this was a filmmaker who was working at the time of Paris is burning, but his work was never spotlighted. And then you see, you know, Jenny Livingston, who is a complete you know, admitted it's not like she's pretending that she has, you know, intense connection to this culture, but she's a complete outsider and it's her project that gets the financing, that gets the sun dance, accolades and all that, which is again just something a pattern we say repeated in entertainment over and over and over and over.
Speaker 2: I wanted to touch a little bit more on the differing attitudes that are based to some degree on like different generations in this scene and how you know, for example, Pepper Labasia, who again preferred she her pronouns and had breast implants, but I identified as a gay man who emulated women but was not a woman, and says she would never have any surgery that would like, you know, give her a vagina and quote unquote make her a woman. And she says that she would never recommend anyone have that type of surgery because, oh what if they change their mind? And oh, being a woman in the world is hard. Why would you want to subject yourself to the mistreatment and abuse and misogyny that women have to face, which you know, when we watch this in twenty twenty five, we realize that's a very like antiquated, enrigid way of thinking about identity and transitioning. And it's like steeped in this idea of your genitals determine your gender and it's okay to deny someone something they want because I assume that they will change their mind about what they want and all these things. And I mean, I appreciate that that is represented in this documentary just to show that there are differing viewpoints, because that's also like juxtaposed, right, next to trans women living happy lives as trans women who have had gender affirming surgery. And it was just interesting to see those opinions being included in the documentary because and you hate to see it, but there are and have been prejudices within marginalized communities. You know, it's not constant solidarity all the time, especially in an era like the eighties but also up to and including now.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, and that the movie itself doesn't at least I mean, I let me know if you feel differently, But it didn't see like the movie was taking any particular side. It was just presenting this is how this person feels on this issue, which is a useful like historical document And I don't know, I mean, not to go back to drag race too much, but but again, I really like it didn't ping for me when I saw this movie in high school. But I kind of forgot that trans drag queens and CIS drag queens were so intermixed in the ballroom scene. And that's something that also is touched on quite a bit and decolonized drag and just its criticisms of drag race and how it doesn't always or hasn't always promoted true inclusion, and yeah, I appreciated like seeing especially, I mean like it. I don't know. I also did not remember how Venus's life ended, which is still, I mean, to this day all too common of trans folks being murdered and no one doing anything to seek out I mean, who had done it, because they're just not treated. While I thought of like Sam Nordquist who was just found killed a transman in Minnesota, and I mean, there's just so many, so many, so many examples from over the years. And to note that Venus, you know, was I Belave Italian and Puerto Rican, was supporting herself through sex work and was found killed is just it's so devastating. And I don't know. I mean, I guess I don't know what I wanted the movie to do with that, but I just I don't know. I guess I wasn't trying to make a point, it just was. It was really tragic and horrible and it's still something that we're very much dealing with now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think the scary part, you know, so I will say this, I love our stories being told in this way, right, but I think that there's also something, like I said, kind of going back to my brant about care, I think there's also something extremely scary about our stories being told this way because now, you know, especially with the way that this film ends, it shows how disposable black trans people, trans people can be. Right. So that's something that I think, you know, I if there are any documentarians out there who's who's listening to this and are thinking, oh, I want to do this documentary or I want to I want to do this type of research, I think this film is a great place to kind of come back and to like examine and say, like, what are all of the things that Genny did right? And what are all the things that Genny did wrong, especially when you're working with marginalized people. Because even for me, right as someone who loves I'll tell you right now, I will tune into I'm I was watching one last night, the Parpito documentary on Netflix, and there is a documentary. But yes, if it's a true crime anything, mama is locked in. But I will say to to that point, I think, you know, we we have to There's got to be an element, especially when we're dealing with marginalized people, that we have to be very mindful demure and even I would even challenge to be you know, to be cautious about how we're how we're framing you know, stories and stories lines. But yeah, I will say that I do appreciate that there is you know, joy, We're still left with joy from the film. And even now, you know, like I said, when I watch shows that reference and I watch movies that reference that, or even you know, I revisited Polls a couple of months ago. It was just really it was affirming to see the impact that this documentary had on so many people, even now, like you said, thirty five years later.
Speaker 2: Absolutely right, because it does certainly something to normalize this subculture and bring awareness to people about it, because I'm sure there are lots of people around the country slash world who would have no other way really of knowing about it, especially in previous decades.
Speaker 1: I mean all three of us were right, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And the fact that it's like taught in schools and universities, and like I put it, I added it to my list because it kept coming up in textbooks I was reading about like significant queer cinema, so it being pretty mainstream has you know, I think done net good. But also like, yeah, the note that it ends on where it is basically just like, yes, Venus Extravaganza was found murdered the end.
Speaker 1: That's all that's said. Yeah, that's all that said. And then we see I believe it's Willie, who has since seen a lot of success. It feels like they're almost presented in opposition to each other, and.
Speaker 2: Right, here are the two possible outcomes, right like being a participant in this community.
Speaker 1: I wish more care had been taken with. I mean, I feel like, I don't know, I'm not going to redo her movie for her. It's done, it's done. But but I would have stayed seated for another half hour forty five minutes to really get into the two years later, because it felt like very much like an after method. I don't think it was intending to be dismissive, but I think, like, like we've all said at this point, it just felt like and then this happened and it was happy, and then this happened and it was sad. These are the two outcomes, thank you, good night, And it's just like, well.
Speaker 4: No, that's giving way a second.
Speaker 3: It did not come here for this, is there more? Yeah, you're like girl, I know you have more be rail than that, you know, so I know there's gotta be some found footage somewhere.
Speaker 1: It's really and getting back to Bell Hook's criticism of this movie, I mean, there's no criticism of the failure of policing to investigate these murders.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, let's talk about it.
Speaker 1: It's just like there's so many there are moments where I feel like it really works to this documentary's advantage to let the subjects just speak, not take a clear like this is what I Jenny am trying to say, Like that's not her job here, But there's so much that's left on the table that I suspect there had to have been some footage about and if there wasn't, maybe the right questions aren't being asked because there is so much about this specific period in time that's still resonant now that it just feels like is either just referenced in passing or like doesn't really come up. And I think that like Bill Hooks was right to criticize the audience reactions. That's if that's the audience's takeaway of likeugh, loved it anyways, brunch time, Like then there you know you can't control how people receive your work, but that does feel like a failure of the documentary to some degree.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I was going to say, to your point, one of the things I'm thinking a lot about to here, you know, there could have been and so in my mind, so I actually wrote a story about you know, the I think it was, was it twenty or twenty twenty one. I wrote something about the whole fiasco and how people are looking at Jenny Livingstone and now right basically in our world, Now, what does this film for Slay? I think it was for Slade. I wrote it for And I will say this, I actually was in the mind you know, actually while I was writing the article, one of the things that I had picked up on was that folks who were connected to this film back in the nineties, they didn't want this to become because again, we were living in a political state, right, we had to act up, folks, you know, things going on and act up. We were five, we were only maybe four or five years into the you know, the AIDS crisis, and so there's all of these things. And so I think, to an extent, you know, one of the justifications of Jenny leaving this stuff out is. I don't want this to become a political film, right, I don't want this to be about, you know, the politics of being black and queer. I just wanted to celebrate ballroom. I wanted to celebrate a culture and that's it, right, Okay, fair, but me, especially me from an intersectional lens, right, we cannot just talk about blackness and queerness and ball community without talking about the politics of being black and queer at this time. So it's almost like, you know, like, like I said, I understand what she was trying to do, But at the same time, we have the term intersectionality being coined in eighty nine. So I'm thinking to myself, well, why wasn't this film done from an intersectional lens where we're watching oppression, you know, asking the question right and formulating our questions from this place of how is oppression impacting those who participate in ballroom?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Like that that should have been the focus and then we could have maybe moved into this what are we going to do to vindicate Venus in her life? Right? But I think, you know, and again, and I don't want to be heavy. I don't want to be one of those people that put their foot on Jenny's neck. She's had enough people put their foot on her, so I get it. But what I'm saying is is I think that, you know, like I said to my point earlier, I think we have to be when we're creating art and where, you know, we're trying to tell a story, we have to sometimes get away from the fear of it quote unquote being too political because we are political.
Speaker 2: Everything is just political. Whoa, I said brilliantly and blew everyone's minds wide open.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean I I it's I didn't I didn't realize that you'd written about it, John, That's I. I don't know. Yeah, it just felt like there there was a lot that feels mysteriously absent. I don't know, particularly, I mean looking at I was, you know, just looking into like where the folks from this documentary documentary are now? There are still three living cast members, Freddy and Saul pen Davis and Junior li Bejia is still alive as well, but most of the cast is gone and the majority of them died because of complications related to AIDS. And I don't know, I mean, it's like definitely not I'm not the person to determine how much does that factor into this narrative or not. But I've seen the criticism around like where is you know?
Speaker 2: Something that I also thought the documentary might touch on but doesn't is the history of ballroom. And I'm by no means an expert. I am pulling this a lot from scholarly journal Wikipedia, but just to kind of contextualize ballroom a little bit. Its origins trace back to the mid eighteen hundreds, where, for example, a person by the name of William Dorsey Swan, a formerly enslaved person and the first person to describe themselves as a drag queen, started hosting secret balls in Washington, DC in the I think late eighteen hundreds. Many of the attendees of these balls were black men. They would be arrested in police raids frequently, but the balls would continue. They caught on. Other cities started them. By the eighteen nineties, there were similar drag events organized in New York. By nineteen thirty, there were similar events in Chicago, New Orleans, Baltimore, Philadelphia, other cities. They were generally racially integrated, although there was a lot of race within that space, and so by the nineteen sixties, there was you know, predominantly black balls, you know, black and brown balls, because they were like, we don't want to deal with the racism in these integrated spaces because the white people are treating us badly. And then that led to a lot of the houses that we see represented in Paris's Burning, where for example, like Crystal Liabasia founded the House of Liabysia in Harlem in the early seventies and that was, you know, part of the kind of origins of the specific scene that we see represented in the movie. But anyway, there's much more information. Again I'm not an expert, but I feel like a documentary today would have been like where did ballroom come from? You know, and it would have like gone through that history quite a bit more.
Speaker 1: But it feels more like a style choice of like we're just dropped into this world and there's so much I mean, that also speaks to like how under educated you know, people generally are about drag culture.
Speaker 2: The other thing that the documentary to me doesn't make clear. I want to talk about the title Paris Is Burning, and it refers to a ball of the same name that was held annually by Paris Dupree who was the founding member and mother of the House of Dupre. Paris Dupree is credited as one of the pioneers of voguing. Paris is seen briefly and mentioned briefly in the documentary, but not heavily featured or interviewed. And so I was like, oh, interesting that you call the documentary Paris is Burning after Paris Dupree's event, but like it's not really a feature or interview Paris de Brea.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Interesting, but wow. Yeah, I wanted to look into that because I was like, why is this called Paris is Burning? And that's why is there anything else anyone wants to discuss? Regarding the movie.
Speaker 3: I will say it's an annual It's a film you should watch annually at least once a year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely get some friends together.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's great. Yeah. So for for all of the for all of the criticizing we've been doing for the past hour plus, it is a terrific movie. It's very, very, very rewatchable. And I think, I mean, as we've all sort of talked about, it was a gateway for it's a it's a gateway watch. I think, like you know, it's definitely a good one on one for ballroom culture that it seems like has paved the way for a lot of other work, and some of that, although Ryan Murphy is not a good example, is not made by Cis white creators. So I think it definitely has a strong place in history. And it's also just like, yeah, it's just such a great watch.
Speaker 2: Definitely, the music, choices, the fashion, it's.
Speaker 3: All of it.
Speaker 1: Yes, the cat, the cat.
Speaker 3: Now the other thing. I don't know if I'm supposed to talk about this on the air, y'all. Do know that there was some stuff with mother Later on in the years, they found folks in Dorian's closet. I don't know if we want.
Speaker 2: To Oh, we can't wait.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I forgot that that was Dorian. Oh okay, wait, let's talk about it just really quickly. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't want to go into the mess too much because I don't want it to overshadow the joy of this film. But I'm just letting you know that that was That is a piece.
Speaker 1: Of the history, and history is a many headed, complicated thing.
Speaker 2: Wait for our listeners and also me who doesn't know about this, could you say, yeah.
Speaker 1: Wow, I feel like there's like five listeners right now that heard us ending the episode and we're screaming at the top of their lungs. Okay, yeah, yeah, John, take it away, like.
Speaker 3: No, not more, but okay. So there is an article and it says a famous drac Queen, a mummy in the closet, and a baffling mystery, and this was written in twenty sixteen and so so so what I will also posit and say if you are a pose watcher, you will know that. I think it was either season two or season three. Towards the end of the season. There is an actual episode where they're talking about this, Uh there's a Louis Vauton trunk that is in I think it's in Who's uh, what's her name's house? But anyway, all that to be said, they're trying to get to this trunk. Well, it's based off of this story surrounding Dorian Corey, and I guess one of the clips of this article, it says what stands in starkes contrast to the gruesome implications in her closet, it is Corey's demeanor. The most extensive video of Corey is in nineteen nineties Jennie Livingston's documentary. It's an examination of aforementioned ball culture and interviews. She's witty, realistic, and unflappable. In contrast to the grandiosity of aspiring models and housewives. She has a self possessed cadence and world weary observations, which endear her to be a comparatively mainstream audience. So, you know, there's this notion that she's just very fun and very you know, witty and very you know, very endearing per se. But I guess it's probable that there was something that was happening between nineteen eighty eight and nineteen ninety and ultimately she tucked it away in her closet.
Speaker 1: So okay, yeah, I forgot. How dare I forget about the mummy? Truly?
Speaker 2: The I'm so confused.
Speaker 1: So it's so dead, Bob I was. I would say, there's a dead body. I've seen different story as to what the story I was looking at, which is cited on scholarly journal Wikipedia, but also is Yeah from a nineteen ninety five paper called The Drag Queen and the Mummy that the body discovered was determined to be dead for approximately twenty five years was said to be the body of a man named Robert Worley, who hadn't been seen since nineteen sixty eight. But it was the theories surrounding that death were either the theories were that Robert and Dorian were in a relationship of some sort and that either Robert had been killed and she had hidden in his body for whatever reason, or that she had killed him in self defense because of violence she was experiencing at his hands. And then was like, let's just go in here. I fascinating lives all around, John, thank you for bringing that up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just wanted to say, like, because I don't want people listening and being like they totally just over they just looked over this whole you know, story. But I think it's also tangential to what we're talking about here, right, these people, you know, So like I'm even I'm looking through the story that I just quickly googled, and it said that there's also a rumor that this whoever this body was, They basically claim that this man broke into her home and tried to rob her, and that it was self defense. And so when people ask why she kept the body, it says a black drag queen who lived in a poor, dangerous area in the sixties or seventies had a little chance of garnering sympathy from the police. And so I think it's it's it's as much as it's not related to the story of what Genny was trying to do with this film, I think it really like this story per se says a lot about the times that these queer people were living in, right like the fear of Okay, well, I I tell someone that this man broke into my home and I killed him in self defense, and then I still end up in jail, and then I end up dead in jail, right right, Like that's probably regardless of what the story was. You know, the reality was Dorian was worried about their livelihood and so just to be queer at this time, and I mean still even now, right, you know, to be worried about your livelihood is something that's very real for queer people. And you know, as much as like I said, it doesn't relate to the story, it very much does absolutely.
Speaker 1: I mean, and the ways that I've seen this story, I can't believe I didn't connect that it's story and from this movie. The ways I've seen the story presented over the years has been more framed as clickbait sensationalism in a way that I feel like really leans into biased, horrible perspectives of like, well, queer people are inherently violent, and that's why when you find a body in the closet, like that is why as opposed to queer people and specifically like black queer people are particularly vulnerable. And like you're just saying, John would not have stood a chance at you know, standing up against the white supremacist police state, and so it was self defense and was necessary in order to survive. I've not really seen that anecdote presented that way. It was more like a fun fact. Did you know this famous drag queen from Paris is burning? Did you know in the way that I think a lot of AI slop kind of leans towards.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it doesn't humanize, it doesn't. And I think that's the thing too with these type of not even these stories, but just like I even thine, going back to the documentary, it you know, this idea that there's this humanity that's not there, you know sometimes you know, and I think that's what you know when you were talking about when you were giving the piece about Bill Hooks. I think that's what they were ultimately trying to say, that there's just this lack of humanity. And I don't even think, you know, that's why I said I there was a part of me that didn't even want to tell anybody that I was watching the documentary. But it's like, you know, I sometimes have to check myself with that of like, these were humans. These are people that had really like a really terrible thing happened to them, and we sensationalize it and there's so much oh my god, this really saucy thing happened. You did you hear about it? But it's like, yo, like where's the humanity behind it? And so I have to catch myself sometimes when I get excited, you know, in conversation about these type of films. But yeah, that's kind of where I'm left right.
Speaker 2: Well, Paris Is Burning does touch on these topics of class, of race, of gender, of sexuality, but it does so in a pretty surface way where it'll be like one person's like SoundBite from there, you know, in interview, monologuing for a couple sentences about something, and that happens a few times throughout the documentary. So It's not as though the documentary ignores these topics and the intersections of them, but it doesn't zoom out very much as far as like, well, how do these things affect these people systemically in larger and more significant ways. It doesn't dive deeply into these things. It's just pretty I don't want to call it superficial necessarily, but it's you know, it's not super deep the way the movie explores these things.
Speaker 1: Which and that connects to something we've talked about a lot where that stands out as particularly when the subjects that these films are people who are largely ignored by the rest of culture, and so then it, you know, ostensibly becomes the job of one movie to do every everything, when the reality is like one movie can't do everything. There is plenty to criticize about Jenny's approach here, which we have done and many have done and will continue to do it, and rightfully so. But I think it also draws attention to the fact that on a lot of I mean think about like how many documentaries are there about World War Two, and how every documentary about World War two doesn't address every aspect and perspective and figure of World War two. But that's okay. There's forty trillion documentaries about World War Two that grandfathers all over the world are watching as we speak, and like, there whatever, there is more, not that there wasn't more. Like we're saying, there were filmmakers that were creating work around these communities, but in terms of work that was easily accessible, In terms of work that was getting the financing and marketing to support it, there wasn't very much. And so then it becomes I mean, it's like a tricky conversation because one movie can't do everything, but one movie can do more than it's doing.
Speaker 3: It can do something. Chat, that's what I hear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, maybe we just need Paris Is Burning to yeah or something, or a different movie.
Speaker 3: Let's start a GoFundMe and we can we can start we can be the ones that do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anything else anyone wants to talk about.
Speaker 1: It's all.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The movie, whether or not it passes the Bechdel test, is like not the most applicable since it's a documentary format and it's not a lot of people having dialogue. But I'm pretty serious anyway, right because many of the people featured are people of a marginalized gender, and we do see them speak to each other about balls and houses and clothes and things like that. So the film does past the Bechtyl test. But what about the Bechtel Cast nipple scale, a scale where we rate the movie zero to five nipples based on examining it through an intersectional feminist lens. John, I see shock and awe on your face.
Speaker 1: Anything about Journey nipple? Yes, okay, I really don't know what we were thinking, but we committed to it. And and that's the scale.
Speaker 3: So one nipple is terrible and five nipples are great.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, this is correct.
Speaker 3: I would give it. Oh, because you can't do half.
Speaker 2: Nipples, Yes, you can do we do quarter nipples.
Speaker 1: Slice them and dice them. However you like.
Speaker 3: Slice the nipples? Ooh, that's terrifying. Let's go. I would do four nipples.
Speaker 2: I'm around that area as well. Yeah, yeah, I think I was going to give it like three point seven five.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I think three point seven five is perfect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh, I I agree. We've decided it's three point seven five and that's.
Speaker 2: That, and that's that. We've discussed the movie's shortcomings, but we've also discussed the many ways in which this is a very important piece of cinema and important documentary paved the way for similar projects. And uh yeah, I would give my nipples too.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, you can give your nipples away to John.
Speaker 2: We award them. Oh, okay to people. Uh I, I sort of just want to give my nipples to everyone featured in the documentary. That's and then but specifically setting aside one nipple for the cat.
Speaker 1: Yes, of course, I'm gonna just leave my nipples on the table. And I wish I could give every participant of this documentary, uh five hundred thousand dollars at the time it came up. Oh my god, Like that's just I just wish that the subjects of this documentary that it's you know, the filmmaking is good, but it is the people at the center of this movie that make it what it is. That is the reason that we are still watching it today, and they should have been compensated better. So yeah, yeah, just distributing money in nineteen ninety that's how I'm going to use my nfles.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Well, John, thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 3: This was great and this was such a good conversation. Thank you for and thank you for thinking of me and thank you for including me. This was, like I said, I had a really great time, and it also gave me a new again. I've watched this film a million times, I've written about it, I've done so many things around it. But this also gives me a great perspective to think about as I rewatch it. So I will be watching it a little bit more closer next time, though.
Speaker 2: I will say that if you want yeah, yeah or not. Sometimes I'm just like I'm shutting off my brain and watching a thing that I like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's me a reality TV.
Speaker 2: We were so delighted to have you. Thank you so much for joining us. Come back anytime for any movie you'd like to discuss.
Speaker 1: Yes, where can we find you? And where can our listeners follow your work?
Speaker 3: Well? You can often find me doing a pirouet inside of a Krispy Kreme or any donut location. But when I am not eating sugar I'm not supposed to have. You can find me on social media. My handout is doctor John Paul everywhere except for Twitter. I am no longer on Twitter, good for you, but you can find me in Blue Sky. I don't know how much longer I'll be on Instagram or Facebook, but you can also find me there and also on threads. But yeah, and then visit my website ww dot doctor Johnpaul dot com and you can probably catch me in a bookstore near you. Yeah, if you're in the LA area, you'd like to come to my book launch. All the information for that is on my website.
Speaker 2: So yay, we'll be there. We're in the LA area.
Speaker 3: Yes, come down, come down.
Speaker 2: Yes, please pre order John's book. Thank you again for joining us. You can follow us mostly on Instagram these days. At Bechdel Cast, you can subscribe to our Patreon aka Matreon, where we cover two movies a month. Plus you get access to the entire back catalog. There's fun, amazing, brilliant genius themes such as Rodent Timber coming up this March.
Speaker 1: There's a stunning number of movies about rodents. Would you like to hear an intersectional feminist discussion of them? If not, too bad, you have to drive.
Speaker 2: You have to subscribe anyway.
Speaker 1: Intersectional feminist discussion of ratitude incoming. Link in description's get our merch at teapublic dot com. Slash the Bechdel Cast and with that another wonderful episode of The Bechtel Cast concludes.
Speaker 2: Wow, see you next time.
Speaker 3: Bye Bye, bye bye.
Speaker 2: The Bechdel Cast is a production of iHeartMedia, hosted by Caitlin Derante and Jamie Loftis, produced by Sophie Lichterman, edited by Mola Board. Our theme song was composed by Mike Kaplan with vocals by Katherine Volskrosenski. Our logo in merch is designed by Jamie Loftis and a special thanks to Aristotle Assevedo. For more information about the podcast, please visit linktree slash Bechdel Cast