Speaker 1: Uncertainty over the Straighthorf horror moves is keeping pressure on global shipping, with vessel traffics still below pre war levels. Let's ask Craig Fuller, CEO of Freight Waves, a company that provides real time data on freight demand, pricing and capacity across.
Speaker 2: The global logistics market.
Speaker 1: Craig, I want to have a broader discussion with you, But first, any developments around the straight of horm moves. Have we reached the cap beyond which you know, hiring a ship just isn't doable because there is no harm war for the price to go.
Speaker 3: No. I mean, ultimately, the logistics market is responding to this higher prices for containers, higher prices for shipping. But that's the great thing about logistics companies, as they respond to these events, they price it accordingly. And we're seeing freight rerouted to account for this disruption, which is just one of many many disruptions that we've had over the last you know, inevitably over the last decade.
Speaker 2: What about insurance costs? Do they continue to rise?
Speaker 1: Do we have any kind of fall off and insurance costs even when we got the memorandum of understanding.
Speaker 3: Well, I think Ultimately, a lot of the cost, the insurance cost is priced into the current conditions. While there are some attacks on civilian vessels, I think largely the sort of kinetic conflict is we'll call it simmering a little bit, but not explosive. And so ultimately, insurance companies and ship owners understand the risks and that is priced into the market currently.
Speaker 1: Craig, I want your thoughts as well on this new Arctic route that's being reported on today. So apparently a China shipping company is going through the Arctic because polar ice caps melting allow it to traverse from Asia to Europe in twenty days as opposed to the regular forty days it takes generally. Is this a route that could take off and help other shipping companies avoid these dangerous chow points.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean this has been something that's been talked about for at least the last decade. The fact that the polarized caps are melting, which will provide new sea lanes. Russia has has some break some ice breakers to be able to clear the lanes. This is one of the reasons that Donald Trump has wanted Greenland is because ultimately, if you're coming across the Arctic, You're going to pass Greenland, and it provides a much from a strategic standpoint, provides a really interesting sort of outcome. But this is really a continuation something that shouldn't be a surprise to anybody because of something we've been watching and monitoring for the past at least decade, and is certainly the dream of the Chinese, the dream of the Russians to get access to the North Atlantic because and the Arctic Ocean, because ultimately this provides you know, avoids the bottleneck that is in the Middle East and allows them to route more direct traffic to North America.
Speaker 1: Craig just more broadly, port volumes are surging. Ocean carrier rates obviously have gone through the roof, and they're passing on those costs. Energy sorry, charges have been very, very widespread and are getting more widespread.
Speaker 2: Truck manufacturing is tightening.
Speaker 1: All of this is a negative for the consumer and for those that are importing, but it's great news for the freight industry. Right is the freight recession definitively a thing of the past.
Speaker 3: Oh, the freight recession has been over since November, and everybody's celebrating because it's been a misable existence. Osha container Lines they were out of a recession pretty quickly, they had about eight month recession. But trucking has been was in a recession really since twenty twenty two, and it ended in November of this past year of twenty five, and so everyone feels relief. I would dispute your comment about it bad for the consumer, because ultimately, when freight's moving, that is good for consumers. I mean, transportation cost is about three percent of finished goods prices that consumers pay, So even if we see a doubling of freight rates, it's still a marginal impact for consumers in terms of inflation. So ultimately things are moving. The industry is feeling incredibly bullish, and we're seeing volumes pick up on the international container market as well as in domestic trucking and rail. It's up into the right for the freight industry, and I think that sells us a lot about consumer activity, but more importantly tells us a lot about industrial activity.
Speaker 1: Just on that point, everything I just mentioned, do they only add up to incremental costs for the consumer.
Speaker 2: Is this not a significant inflation push at all?
Speaker 3: Then it's not a huge impact to inflation. Ultimately retailers will absorb those prices. The biggest risk to retailers and really manufacturers is losing cells, so they will pay the higher freight rates and ultimately eat it in some of their margins. But look, we've seen in the past earnings, this past earning cycle that corporate profits are at record highs, so there is some ability for retailers and manufacturers to absorb higher freight rates. Ultimately, they want to get their products into the country, They want to get their products moving to end consumers, so they'll pay the higher rates, and ultimately consumers are going to see a marginal impact, not anything to worry about. What we worry about more about is demand the erosion, which right now we're seeing the opposite. We're seeing, particularly the industrial side, things pick up and consumer activity looks pretty strong consumer volumes, you can look at the container lines. The reason the ports are doing so well is because consumers are buying goods, and retailers are feeling much more confident about consumer activity, which I think is very strong. I wouldn't take any of the higher freight rates as a concern. Remember we were at twenty two thousand dollars in container prices, spot prices back during the peak of COVID, and we're only at seven thousand dollars right now, so there's a lot of room to go before I think there'll be substantial inflation.
Speaker 1: So give us an update then on the intra freight carrier wars. Right, So we have FedEx freight down more than four percent since it's spin off back in May, partially because Amazon has entered the scene.
Speaker 2: What's going on with terrain? Who's winning?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean ultimately Amazon. I mean it's sort of the worst kept secret Amazon was known to get into it. FedEx spin it off when it spun off is really a reflection of just how I mean, it's spun off at a very high valuation. It's called off a bit from where the original spin off was. There's been a little bit of just I think investors have rallied the transports for the last seven eight months and really calling up here a little bit of profit taking. I think everybody's wanting to see the second half and get confirmation that things are continuing to be bullish and we're continuing to see things ramp. That is, our channel checks have shown that there's been a bit of modal shift. We're seeing freight move off of trucking slightly into intermodal, which is by rail, simply because there's been a lot of movement in freight rates in trucking and so that we're seeing things put onto the railroads. And right now the spread between trucking rates and reil freight is thirty four That isn't near an all time high, and therefore the railroads are the primary beneficiaries, and companies like JB Hunt Hub Group that are public are really picking up a lot of share right now. Wow.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 1: Finally, Craig, and we don't have much time left, but you have advocated in the past for a domestic marine industry right to ensure security and supply chains and so on. Are you hearing anything about the administration potentially taking stakes in any businesses surrounding supply chains, the network, marine industry, trucking industry, or anything like that, any whisperings at all in the community.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, look, I don't think the administration is going to take any trucking investments. It's the most fragmented market. But when we talk about maritime, there is certainly some different bills executive orders that have tried to encourage maritime investment. There was a story not too long ago about a startup that's going to build ships, commercial ships that was originally supposed to go in California, but they moved it to Texas because of some issues with local immunis, power holdies and some things that they were not willing to do in California. Not a shock, and they moved it to South Texas. So I do think there's a movement and investment, and certainly administration has been very public about wanting more marine investments. It is providing incentives, but these you know, if we're going to build out a marine industry, we're talking we need a lot of money, hundreds of billions of dollars to really restore marine investments in the United States, and this is going to take many years. So a lot of the movement is very slow, it feels like from my perspective, but it's certainly moving in the right direction, but it's going to take a lot more than where we see today.
Speaker 1: All Right, Craig always a pleasure to talk to you. That is Craig for our CEO of Freightways