Speaker 1: The following. He is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: No Cowboys This he's Talking Cowboys Straining live from the Dallas Cowboys World Horse at the Star in Frisco.
Speaker 3: Touchdown six, Second's got ten six today touchdown and now your hosts Isaiah Standback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez, and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 2: Twenty seven twenty on Monday Night Football, the Cowboys fall to the Cincinnati Bengals and things just continue to snowball in this season of horrors for the Cowboys. Five and eight is now the record. But really it's not even about the record as much as it is about everything else that happened on Monday Night Football, and we're going to dive into it here on Talking Cowboys, presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, Live from the Star in Frisco, Texas, in the SWBC podcast Studio alongside Patrick No C Walker, Josh Rodriguez, Josh by the way, great job hosting last week. My friend cooked. I don't want to be around anymore. Oh don't say that. Turn that front upside down. Oh wow, I gotta go, you gotta go. I'll see you later. Man, it was good seeing you again. It's funny, like we joke about it, but that's kind of what the fan base feels like right now. A lot of time, I know you're I know the so it's good to be with you. The seven previous losses, there was always some sense of frustration, there was some sense of anger, and everybody deals with a loss differently, so I'm sure there are some Cowboys fans that are dealing with it in a similar way for loss number eight as they did for the first seven losses. And I'm not going to tell anybody how to fan or how to feel whenever it comes first loss. However, the general sense that I have around what happened on Monday Night Football, it's everybody's just bummed. The Cowboys nation is just dejected, and the air whatever was left in the balloon, the era has now left the balloon and it just feels like, okay, So that's how it ends.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not that there ever was a party happening in twenty twenty four, but there was a little bit of fun.
Speaker 2: There was a chance for a party.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was a little bit of fun over that four day span.
Speaker 2: Positive positivity, Yeah, especially.
Speaker 1: In how you beat the Commanders in Washington, and how wild and crazy that game was. And then you circle back four days later and you finally snap the losing streak at home against you know, and then it was against the Giants on Thanksgiving with everybody watching, and you enjoy your turkey and the fixings and all that good stuff and nobody. I'm not gonna say nobody. I don't want to generalize. Yeah, but understood that while we were enjoying that, you weren't going to make the playoffs. Yeah, but you were still enjoying it because the team was less than it was not great, but you were enjoying it because the team was showing fight. The coaches hadn't lost the locker room, and they still haven't lost the locker room. But then when you look at yesterday's game and against Cincinnati, the defense again stepped up. We talked last week about where we ranking this defense as far as are they good yet are they above average? And we said they're more than They're more than solid. They're piecing some things together for the most part. I mean, when you hold Jamar Chase and Joe Burrow and that offense to only twenty points going into the final two minutes of the game, and it's a tie ball game, you just have to feel good about it. And then what happened immediately thereafter, it was quite literally the balloon popping and you could hear all the air gets sucked out of the stadium, could hear in the press box, you could hear the air get sucked out of the press box. So as soon as Nick Vigil blocked that punt, you talked about emotional whiplash. Everybody, including those in the press box, they're like, holy crep. And before you could finish that statement, everybody was turned to yell and don't touch the ball, don't stay away from the ball. And once he touched that ball and muffed it and they recovered it, that's that, Yeah, turned lights out everybody.
Speaker 4: And I think Nick Eatman said this in the press box. It's like everybody knew in their heart, like you could just hear her when like, stay away from the ball, stay away.
Speaker 5: From the ball.
Speaker 4: As soon as the pump was blocked, everybody except for the one person that.
Speaker 1: Needs to for the one person.
Speaker 2: Uh, And that's tough for Ao.
Speaker 4: Of course, he was activated just before the game, and you look at the locker room, you know, like him walking to the locker room with a towel over his head, just absolutely bummed because he knows that he just lost this game for the city of Dallas, for every Dallas Cowboy fan.
Speaker 2: Right then they go to the media.
Speaker 4: Of course, you know, it's like, all right, well, we've got to talk to him, right yeah, But C. J. Goodwin does what a leader does, and he stepped in for him and he said, well, you know, I understand it's your job to ask him about this performance, ask him about the play, but it's also my job to lead the special teams and protect him basically from the bombardment of of inquiries that you're going to have for you know, a player that was just trying to do the right thing and you know that stuff.
Speaker 1: And what sucks about it is, well, even more so that play is it's not the only reason the Cowboys lost, but it is sure the defining moment.
Speaker 2: He blocked the punt that put them in.
Speaker 1: Of not only that game, but that will go down as a microcosm of how the season has gone for the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Has there been so many of those plays though, But.
Speaker 1: That that's going to go and I hate this for Ao, but that's going to go down in infamy. That that's up there with leon Lett, Terrence Williams not running out of bounds at least fair you will.
Speaker 2: And that season was a little bit more high intensity, I think the leon Lette situation, and Nate Newton talked about it in post game. He said, leon Let hit in the X X ray room after the game and you had to pry them out of there, and so the same kind of feeling from Ammonio will Warria. But let's not get a twist. I mean, the Cowboys were at five and seven. It goes back to what Patrick was saying a moment ago. Cowboys were at five and seven. You had to win out to give yourself a shot to even get into the postseason. Still have a minus one percent chance to get there. Still, if you went out and there's no room for error, zero room, you can't lose again. So the the I don't think they're on the same level, but they're going to be compared because it was a special teams blunder on a similar play that could have won the football game but instead of lost the football game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it's it's a will be compared. Yeah, it's a football like you play that that cost the Cowboys a game. So, whether it be Leon or like I said, rather it be more recently Naseean Wright or a little less recently Terrence Williams. Although that was an offensive play. But for those of you who remember that game, Dez Bryant is literally screaming and pointing at get out of bounds. Get out of bounds because they didn't have any timeouts. He didn't catch the ball goes out because he was trying to be a hero. He was trying to get a few more yards, and that few more yards cost the game.
Speaker 2: And that goes underguard this situation.
Speaker 1: The AO was trying to be the hero, but the Cowboys didn't need a hero, and in that moment, they just needed you to get out of the way. And Nick Vigil was already the hero on that p Yeah, Nick Vigil was the hero. So and there's just a reason that that kind of play the ball is called poison. You can get away from the poison, right, just leave it be because and I know some people are like, well, that's a stupid rule. Well, whether it's you believe it's a stupid rule or not, it's the rule. And it's coached into the players, and this is a seven year veteran and he's playing special teams. And then the other thing that crossed my mind was, Okay, well does Tyres Weed touch that ball?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: Because Tyris we a good special teams guy. He was made inactive yesterday, AO was up for depth things like that. But those are all things that can be second guests. But what should not be second guests is the fact that this is a seven year player who's being coached up by arguably the best special teams coordinator in the game, and before that play happens, before you run onto the field, you need to understand and let your coaching overrun your instinct and know that, hey, if this ball is blocked, no one else needs to touch it, including myself. So it's more than tough. It is absolutely devastating. And then what also sucks the remainder of whatever molecule of oxygen was remaining in the room is the demarveion overshown. Yeah, so not only do you lose this game in the fashion in which you lose this game, but you lose a Pro Bowl caliber, all Pro caliber talent for not just the rest of this season, as Jerry Jones told one oh five three, the fan to Marion Overshown will require surgery to repair the damage in his right knee. His left knee is what was repaired his rookie season ahead of his rookie season, but given the timing of it, and although tests are still being run to get his cardinosis, it's safe to say it. And I would love to be wrong here, but it's safe to say that we may not see to Marion Overshown until twenty twenty six. That hurts no or the word fits it, but devastating, gutting, heartbreaking pain. Bad things do happen to good people, and this is an example of that. And all we can say is prayers and positive energy to the Marion Overshown. If anyone can overcome it, he absolutely is the one who can overcome it. But you just in a season that we said this a few weeks ago, they're seemingly just when you think you hit rock bottom, yep, a new rock bottom appears, and here we are at a new rock bottom.
Speaker 2: And this one was unfortunate because there's nothing you can do about. I mean, he's playing hard, he's gonna he was he always won the player.
Speaker 1: Went into his leg and I saw someone on Twitter said, old, maybe we should have the turf versus grass conversation. Well, maybe you should watch the game because this. While that's a valid conversation in some aspects, that's not what happened here. He was in the middle of a play and another guy just got thrown into his list football. That was a football of the injury.
Speaker 2: The other thing about Demarvi and overshown is there's two ways, two paths that can happen now with his career. Either because it was his right knee that got hurt last night, it was his left knee previously that was hurt in the preseason last year, last year, going into twenty twenty three, so one of two things. Either one, he's going to come back, continue to play at a high level, and he's going to overcome this adversity and it's going to be one of the best resilient stories on the Cowboys roster, franchise history, whatever, because he's come back from two severe knee injuries to the point where he's playing at a very high level. So boom, there's one road. The other road is a realistic chance as well. I don't want to count out to Marvin Overshown, but he would become one of the biggest what ifs in Cowboys history. And I would say, it's just even saying those words maybe sick makes me sick. It absolutely does, because he's been I mean, going into the preseason last year, he showed all that fire, all that that intensity, all that aggressiveness, got hurt and then it's like, Okay, okay, people have come back from worse. We're gonna make this work. He's going to get through rehab, get back on the field for twenty twenty four. Sure enough, he did. Was playing at a significantly high level. I don't know about All Pro this year, but he was definitely in the Pro Bowl in the conversation, and then the All Pro conversation in the future was certainly there. Now you've got to wait maybe not one but two full seasons to really or not full seasons, but.
Speaker 1: You get what I mean, more than one and a half calendar years is basically what it would amount to.
Speaker 2: And now you got to wait for that significant on the other knee to rehab and get back to it. Michael Parson said it last night, and I couldn't agree more. You would never wish that upon anybody. Nonetheless, somebody like Demo who people love being around, love playing with, love watching play.
Speaker 4: At the same time, Marvin Overshown said on his ex account, wouldn't want this for anyone else, one of God's toughest told soldiers, keep me in your prayers and regardless of what you believe. I think just the pain kind of comes through on that comment.
Speaker 2: And he was just talking about the rehab back from last year in the locker room on Wednesday. He was just talking about it.
Speaker 1: And if you want to know exactly how much de Marvion Overshown already means to this team, in this organization, look at the Michael Parsons postgame interview yesterday. Michael Parsons was choked up, literally wiping tears away from his face, thinking about, you know what Demarvia the road Demarveon has ahead of him. After the road he's already taken to get to this point with the devastating twenty cl suffered in preseason ahead of his rookie season. So if there's anything positive to be taken away from it, again, we've seen evidence that the Marvion Overshown can come back from from a tragic knee injury. And the other silver lining, if that's what you want to call it, is that it's not the same knee as it was last year. So when we talk about like John Stevens Junior, you're concerned because he retore that acl which weakens it that much more. So we're worried about what he looks like when he gets back. But de Marveon it's just a matter of go have the surgery and we'll see what the extent of it is. But I do get the the implication that it is more than just a torn a cl So.
Speaker 2: You see these injuries happen all the time.
Speaker 4: You see this like you're saying, Coyle, it couldn't happen to a better person, And I don't know, at least whenever you see these injuries happen, it's kind of like, all right, well, you know that sucks. See him next year, right, Yeah, this one is gonna hurt for a really long time.
Speaker 2: And not just.
Speaker 4: Selfishly, I'm not just speaking for myself, but if you're talking about the people that support this team and the defense, the players on this defense, where you see Demarvin Overshown being the heart of it, he is the energy. He is the young buck that has come up to be a you know, a star, a star in the making, right playmaker just all over the field. To see that happen to him is really devastating, and just like it really does feel like, what did we do wrong?
Speaker 1: Who is the season is claiming souls?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: And I'm not even going to what did we do wrong? Just go to my Twitter if you want the Chiefs joke about that. I'm not going to make it here. I saw it because I don't feel like making it here. But yeah, man, I mean, the list goes on and on, and unfortunately, it feels like nearly every week, which not even it feels like it's true, nearly every week the Cowboys lose someone for the.
Speaker 2: Season and a tenth pole of your team.
Speaker 1: And now it's at the point where, well, like we said, the balloon has popped, right, anybody who was holding on to that minuscule hope for the playoffs throwed it out the window. So now you want to finish these last four games. You want to finish them strong, you want to have some fight, You want to do your evaluations on some of these younger players, But you have to have a very real concern about who who might drop next.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because again we're talking about twenty five at this point. We're that late in the season where you are talking about twenty twenty five, and we want to wish the best to Demo in that recovery because, like you said, injuries are awful no matter what happened, who they happened to, and the rehabits started to back up no matter what. But it doesn't matter when it's someone like exactly the way that he's gotten to this point and pushed through adversity and was really the bright spot of the twenty twenty four season for the Cowboys, especially on the defensive side, and one of the reasons why they have been playing so well as of late. Him and Micah Parsons, both those guys have stepped up in a big way. And we're looking to push this thing into a twenty twenty five season where the defense looked legitimate again and we're not going to get that, at least without Demo.
Speaker 4: No, and he was who you were looking at along with Michael Parsons to build off of Andrevon Diggs Andron plan for next season. You know, it's like exactly a cornerstone to say, this is what you build on for next season. You put pieces around this guy and you are going to be fine, and you don't have that anymore.
Speaker 1: Fire this season into this seriously, so.
Speaker 2: We can't do that. Unfortunately, we've got four more games left. When we come back on Talking Cowboys, I don't want to give a pass to Dallas for losing this game at all. There were reasons for them and opportunities for them to win the game. I want to talk about the specific moment after the blocked punt and the punt fiasco, the Bengals blunder as I called it last night on postgame. I want to talk about the moments after that there was still a chance for you to win that game and you did not. When we come back with more on Talking Cowboys. If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some black rifle coffee.
Speaker 6: Today, Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G Bible.
Speaker 7: Secure five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 2: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lifball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip. If you shout how about them cowboys?
Speaker 8: You have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't.
Speaker 1: Be beat better.
Speaker 8: Yet, gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next gin and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 2: The winds will be even tastier. It's a pepper thing to Talking Cowboys. Back here on Talking Cowboys. This portion of the show is brought to you by Quaker Oats, the official oatmeal sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. Quaker Oats trusted since eighteen seventy seven. That was the best thing I thought about when I woke up this morning.
Speaker 1: Quaker oats, that's a good thing to think about.
Speaker 2: Use a QR code in the corner and the quake ar code. Still thing. We're sad, it's a sad day. We're sad. Boy energy here.
Speaker 1: Uh it's rough, man.
Speaker 2: I Like I said going into the break, I don't want to give a pass to the Cowboys because there were multiple chances. You intercept Joe Burrow twice, you have a couple of opportunities to go down and score. Instead, you'd either pitter patter and end up with a field goal, and he had another red zone turnover. Things just didn't accumulate the way you wanted to. Despite playing well and enough to win the game, which the Cowboys did. They played well enough to win. They didn't go and take it either, and they didn't win because of that. They left the door open. And when you do so, the margins are so very slim in these NFL games that just one play can turn the tide. And we saw it there. Even after the special teams blunder, Cincinnati got the ball on their half of the fifty. Your defense has a chance to bow up one more time. And I know it's a tough ask it is a tough ass to stop Joe Burrow, Jamar Chase and the Bengals offense not once but twice in the fourth quarter from stopping a game winning drive. But what had happened. I thought it was a, like you said, a microcosm of the season. But also that was the first time that I really said I felt like the effort took a dip. And I don't blame you because of the air leaving the stadium and the situation at hand, but the forty yard touchdown to Jamar Chase I thought was inexcusable as well. And when you look at the film, it was atrocious. Okay, the coverage was awful.
Speaker 1: So and this I'm with you here. This all season I fought against the wave of criticism about this team's effort. Okay, for me, it was the other word. It was execution. Okay, absolutely, Yeah, this is the first time I'm going to say this, and I'm right there with you, cal The effort on that play on the forty yard touchdown to Jamar Chase was absolutely not there. It was absent, completely devoid. But it's because of what you said, deflation. They that defense was still in shock after Ao muffed that punt. Camera panned over to Michael Parsons. Michael was in tears. Yeah, yep, he was completely beside himself. And this is the that's the defense that had to retake the field immediately. They were not mentally on that field for that play that ended up in that forty yard touchdown to Jamar Chase. They just were not. They were still in a state of absolute shock mentally and emotionally, and that's why you didn't see the effort on.
Speaker 4: That play to hold them to twenty points and then also for Jamar Chase to be that open. Every single reception to me was he.
Speaker 2: Was dicing up. It was he's incredible.
Speaker 1: And because he's doing that to most defense, our.
Speaker 4: Entire defense was in a blender of the entire game. And granted we talked about this is the first time you're seeing Trayvon Diggs, Deron Bland, and Jordan Lewis.
Speaker 2: On the field at the same time the first I think it would have been worse if they weren't on the.
Speaker 4: Still had the chemistry is not there obviously because that's their first time ever playing together.
Speaker 2: But like you said, after the money or a.
Speaker 4: Situation blocked punt mistake all of that for them to it's a self fulfilling prophecy to let that touchdown go because at that point, it's.
Speaker 2: Like what else, I'm telling you, what else they do we need to give?
Speaker 1: They were having an out of body experience at that point on that particular on that particular play. They couldn't have told you if they were in Arlington, Texas or Arlington, Maine, assuming there's an Arlington, Maine. I mean, they were just trying to figure out what the hell had just happened. And before they could kind of reground themselves and get their feedback onto the ground, Burrow, Joe Burrow had already thrown that ball to Jamar Chase and Deron Bland missed the tackle because again, the defense just wasn't there for that play mentally, and then the rest was the rest. And then you know, you got to put it on the offense as well, because even after that play, the offense did have time to try to come down and do something. But then you know, Trey Henderson gets through for another sack on Cooper Rush, which kind of pushed that drive back even worse. And then from there it was just you know.
Speaker 4: What was what was one of the things we talked about coming into this game, were I mean or any game against the Dallas cow was the season words.
Speaker 2: It's kind of a get right to get right game. It's a get right game.
Speaker 4: If you have the weakness on your team, it always tends to look pretty.
Speaker 1: Great against the goals.
Speaker 2: Weakness was the offensive line.
Speaker 1: Not just that they couldn't win close games.
Speaker 4: That too out there, you just got right, but the offensive line for the Cincinnati Bengals, they were terrible. They're they're awful, They're horrendous. Yeah, yet we gave Joe Burrow all day well you know, I mean, he was getting the ball out fast.
Speaker 1: Here's what was happening. What was happening.
Speaker 2: There was no pressure.
Speaker 1: He sat here on Talking Cowboys and said what happened? Yes, we said, pressure will not be enough against Joe Burrow.
Speaker 2: I got to get home.
Speaker 1: Against a lot of other quarterbacks, pressure is enough to disrupt, knock him off the spot, and you can make some plays off of that. But if you don't get home on him, you knock him off his spot. He sets another spot, yes, somewhere else, and he did it time from anywhere.
Speaker 2: His pocket presence is He's about as good as anybody I've ever seen and in the NFL's history, out of all the film that we've watched, and he showed a little bit of this at LSU. But he had an incredible offensive line at LSU, so he didn't have to play in a dirty pocket. The pocket was dirty. Even on the forty touchdown play. I'm looking at it right now. The pocket was collapsing. Os Digi Zua was working on the inside and Micah was pressuring off the left side. I don't know if the pressure numbers are even up yet, but he had pressure throughout the night. The thing about Joe Burrow is he can escape it. And when he escapes it, then it's just backyard football at that point. And when it's backyard football, who do you look for? Whenever you're looking downfield? You look for your best friend, number one, the one you got, the one guy you know is going to be open at all times, that knows you like the background, and knows exactly where you're going to be and what you're going to be doing. And guess what, he's got one of those. And his name is Jamar Chase. They went to LSU together, won this thing called a national championship, got drafted just a year apart, and then now we're kicking button in the NFL together, and just fourteen receptions seventy seven years is No bigg was targeted like forty five times. Not really, but I really do think that that's that's the Cincinnati plan right now is And Joe has said it before. It's not like he's trying to keep it a secret. He says, when I get in trouble, I work out of the pocket and then I look for Jamar and somewhere downfield he will be open. And that's what they do. And they did it over and over and over again, including on the forty yard touchdown in the game.
Speaker 4: For the inquisitive fan, explain to me why you can't do that with Ceedee Lamb. Explain to me why Ceedee Lamb is an open on every single guitar right now, right this second. Yes, you don't have the quarterback to conduce that. You don't have the quarterback to give them that opportunity. Remember, entering this game, Jamar Chase and Ceedee Lamb were both tied with seventy nine receptions this season. They're tied for second in the NFL in terms of reception. So it's not like Ceedee Lamb. I saw somebody in my mentions say.
Speaker 2: Why can't we feed our number one receiver the ball? I can't believe there's a lack of creativity. Honest, the game, they're going to give the ball to Ceede Lamb. He's tied for second in the NFL in receptions with Jamar Chase. So yes, there was a discreption see last night. But in general, they've gotten the ball to CD Lamb. But you don't have Cooper Rush who can build something out of nothing from a mobility standpoint, and Dak doesn't really do that a Tony either, But Dak's got a better arm and a better wherewithal of pocket presence to be able to do that. Cooper Rush is snapball, get ball out quickly before the offensive line caves in in front of you.
Speaker 1: So but also, and keep in mind, when you're looking at the film from last night to your point, cale, there was several points during the game where Cooper Rush had a clean pocket and still delivered a bad ball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he doesn't have to didn't.
Speaker 1: See or didn't see CD Lamb being wide open.
Speaker 4: And that goes to Isaiah's point from last our last episode is that there's no velocity on Cooper Rush's ball.
Speaker 2: There were a couple of times where gamesman, it fell off the table, and sometimes you want that kind of touch. There was one play I think of that was a completion. I can't remember if it was a second or the third quarter where he went over the top of a linebacker and dropped it and it kind of at the end and it went right to the receiver. It was a great throw. You wanted it there. But there are a lot of times. The Cavante Turpin d ball right sideline was one that I thought Turpin didn't necessarily have any room or separation in his own right, but that are under thrown. I mean it was if you're gonna lead Cavante Turpin, lead Cavante Turpin, He's the fastest man in the NFL, by God's sake, I mean, lead him. They left a ten yard short and that's that's normal. That's normal to see from Cooper Rush. That's why he's a backup quarterback and he's limited, and that's why when people decide to hate on on Deck and hate on his mistakes and clamor that hey it's he's not the franchise quarterback. They don't grow on trees, people, they really don't. And you've got a solid, solidified backup quarterback in Cooper Rush, and yet you can still see why there's a discrepancy between him and the starter caliber.
Speaker 1: And to answer your question, the Cowboys can do that with Ceedee Lamb because they have done that with Ceedee Lamb. It last year, for example, Dak and Ceedee Lamb were firing on all cylinder records and the play calling was firing on all cylinders, literally broke records. Ceedee Lamb literally has a pair of gloves now in Canton because.
Speaker 2: He had a better year than Jamar Chase exactly.
Speaker 1: Now it's chasing in coming into this season, it was Justin Jefferson and Ceede Lamb. And you could have the argument one A, one B.
Speaker 2: Chase up there too.
Speaker 1: No, I mean as far as one two right, So Chase was like three right, he was he theft They're all incredible, Well now, oh no, he's incredible. But based off the season of the twenty twenty three season, it was Justin Jefferson versus Ceedee Lamb, and of course it was that was also what few the who's going to end up getting the bigger contract right now, Ceedee Lamb has taken a step back, not because of Ceede Lamb, but because of other factors. The play calling. You could question that shoulder. His shoulder. Obviously you lose Dak, but then things were still kind of shaky because he training camp with the holdout, so he got off to a slow start. All these things mattered. All these things are true, But I say that to say this offense with Dak Prescott in the center and Micha McCarthy is a play caller, have shown that they can do what Joe Burrow, Zach Taylor, and Jamar Chase are doing right now. But this is just the season of Murphy's Law. Nothing's going right.
Speaker 4: Well what you just said, you still have the same play caller from last season. I just don't think the plays are necessarily there for CD, and a big part of that is the quarterback exactly.
Speaker 2: I think that the playbook goes from here to yeah. And that's not a knock on Cooper Rush as a person and as a preparator, preparator, preparer, prepartutur, I don't even know what that word would be, but a studier and whenever it comes to the playbook, a studious Cooper Rush. No, it what it does is it's it's just his limitations as a quarterback. Yeah, that's all it is.
Speaker 4: It's I mean, I don't know, there might be another quarterback situation that would work a little better, depending on you know, the dual threat that they might give you at some point.
Speaker 1: It's amazing. Oh and I mean, you know he's hitting you from five point one million dollars.
Speaker 2: I mean, Jerry Jerry alluded to it on the fan this morning. We're getting closer to Trey Lance. We're getting closer to that. I and we talked about this a little bit of the break, But I don't think you'll see Trey Lance until the Cowboys are mathematically eliminated, whether that's next week or the week after, or whatever it may be. It may be two game final, two games of the year, if they're mathematically eliminated from postseason contention. I think that's when you'll see Trey Lance.
Speaker 4: And I don't want to say that should be the case or shouldn't be the case, just for you, for your sake, you're in charge.
Speaker 2: Of the team. Would you be seeing him by now. No, you wouldn't be seeing Lance.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't.
Speaker 2: I saw a lot during the preseason, and I get there's a there's an unknown factor of with twos and threes. You're playing with twos and threes for the most part right now too. Other than Seee Lamb and Brandon Cooks. I mean, you're banged up up front, you don't have a ton going on offensively, You're all enough from Trey Lance to say, Okay, I have enough here to say Cooper Rush is still gonna give me a great chance to win games. With that being said, I don't think you need to shelf him for the rest of the year. I still think you'll see him. I just don't think right now is the right time for that. Yeah. Yeah, you can still finish above five hundred, and then all of a sudden, we're talking about I think I know Pat to answer, Yeah, Pat has seen him three weeks.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, But honestly, at this point, it doesn't better. You got four games left, just just uh. I would say right it out, but the train isn't even on the rails right now. So yeah, you're just waiting for the sudden to finish going down at this point.
Speaker 2: You know what's gonna make us feel better. You know what will make us feel better. Oats, spycraft for coffee, all of those things, but taking phone calls. We're gonna take some phone calls. Eight eight eight eight five five two two nine seven. We want to get your thoughts on how how you're feeling on this Tuesday after the Cowboys fall to the Bengals twenty seven to twenty at ad and t dating and first time the Bengals had beaten the Cowboys at home since nineteen eighty eight.
Speaker 1: So, oh, don't you said we were going to feel better?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Sorry, dude. Eight eight eight eight five two nine seven, will be right back with more talking Cowboys.
Speaker 6: Knife twisted Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles peru. But the good news is Todd has at and T five g it is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G Fast, reliable.
Speaker 7: Secure five G requires CAMPAPBA plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you for dy deals.
Speaker 9: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agen Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mower, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, hater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official lagonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Agonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 10: Hey, y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer handcramp and cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed YETI Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on Yetie dot com. Check it out today. YETI Official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: And we're going to overtime Erica, how much have I spent on concessions?
Speaker 11: For questions about their money, Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the virtual financial Assistant in the Bank of America mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankofamerica dot com, slash Erica up by your side. Bank of America Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica respondses me very digital tool featured required downloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the English language. Your chap maybe recorded and monitor for quality assurance, Message data RAS and additional terms me apply Bank of America and a member FDIC.
Speaker 2: To Talking Cowboys. Back here on Talking Cowboys. This segment of the show is brought to you by and Visline, the official Smile of the Dallas Cowboys. Welcome in alongside Josh Rodriguez, Patrick no Cy Walker. I'm Kyle Yeoman's Isaiah stand back on Good Morning Football Today. We've got to take some calls eight a eighty five to five. If anything, he's talking about the Cowboys on a national they immediately we walked in here. I looked up there and he had a tiny little Santa hat on and they like did a freeze frame with it. He was just talking like about the game, and I was like, yeah, sorry dude, that one. Thanks for everything. Appreciate you, all right, eight eight eight five five. We're gonna talk to Cowboys Nation here during this final segment. It is a Talking Tuesday. Let's go to Champ in Nebraska. Champ, you're on Talking Cowboys. Thanks for calling.
Speaker 5: Again, Hey, Bud, how's it going. Good to talk to you the guys.
Speaker 1: It's going Champ.
Speaker 12: It's oh my gosh.
Speaker 7: No see.
Speaker 5: I saw your Twitter last night and comment on the one guy that was complaining about blocking the tint and.
Speaker 12: I was like, what is this guy?
Speaker 5: He was from Cleveland?
Speaker 12: Most makes sense anyway, nuts man, guys, I'll tell you the last few weeks have been fun winning.
Speaker 5: It's all fun to win. Yeah. My thoughts on the season a few weeks back where it's probably not going to go the way we'd like.
Speaker 12: So let's just have some fun.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but last night was horrible for the fact that we did defense, did everything great, even that last drive. I don't put on him because, like you guys said earlier, they were in shock of what had just happened. That mistake by Ao. I was so angry with Tim because he was trying to be a hero, and like Nosey said earlier, we didn't need a hero in that moment. People talk about the leon Let thing. Leon Lett was trying to help.
Speaker 12: The team because he thought, I need to recover.
Speaker 5: This ball so that we can win. Ao was saying, I want to take this ball back and be the hero.
Speaker 12: When we win.
Speaker 5: Big difference, huge difference, And that's what was upsetting to me about his mistake last night. Also, McCarthy's just not sticking with the run. Rico is just running it down these guys' throats. Rigo could have had close to a two hundred yard game, agreed, and he went away from it. Fourteen run on that driving the point quarter and then a pass to the flat that he Cooper can't get to fird and then two more passes and we're punning. I was like, what is wrong, Like, why are you doing that? So I love the show, I love you guys, I'm gonna listen. I'm gonna be a fan. But man, was that frustrating? And then, like you said, dem ye, oh my gosh, my heart breaks for that man.
Speaker 12: No doubt everything he did to come back and be what he was doing where he was at and I had this happened.
Speaker 5: Man, my heart and prayers go out to him. Thank you so much, somebody else calling him, But guys, this one was hard to swallow yesterday, no.
Speaker 2: Doubt about it. Thanks for the call, Champ. Appreciate you.
Speaker 1: So what he's speaking of is there? And I've seen a couple of people say it. Once said it directly to me, and then I've seen some other writers kind of putting out there. They were blaming the decision to block the punt. That's right, So let me let me hold on, let me let me be clear.
Speaker 2: How does that make let me be they're saying, so they're saying the problem.
Speaker 13: They're blaming Fossil and and that Visil for actually blocking the punt, not the gaff that AO orchestrated.
Speaker 1: After they're after, here's.
Speaker 2: I've got something on that too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let me just be clear, okay, because it was a fan that said it to me, and then I effectively had to put that fan, unfortunately in a bag and send him home with a tag on his toe. But there are other writers saying this. I realize other writers were colleagues. But let me be clear, and feel free to call me, text me, email me, send me a Western Union telegram, pony Express, want to I want you to understand, look at me in my eyes and understand you have lost your damn mind. I don't want to hear any of that bs that you're talking about. That learn ball, that block feel oh sorry, that block punt would have put the Cowboys immediately in field goal position. We just spent most of the last segment talking about how the offense was struggling. Cooper Rush wasn't making the throws how and Chap so eloquently called in and reminded everyone that they were getting away from running the ball with Rico Daldles. There were problems with the offense moving the ball, which is why they only had twenty points to begin with. So you're to tell me that you are more confident in the offense and Cooper Rush being able to drive that ball eighty seventy yards or fifty yards. But so you say, well, he can kick a sixty five yarder. Brandon Aubrey is a is an absolute monster. Has he missed a couple?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Okay, So if we're talking guarantees, none of that's guaranteed, no more guaranteed then the block, the pump block would have been. But the pump block worked. All you had to do thereafter was not touch the ball. And if you do that, you get the ball in field goal position and then you can run the ball, run the ball, run less, kick the ball with less than without giving Jamar Chase and Joe Burrow more time. So anybody who is blaming the actual block and not what happened after that, feel free to never talk ball to me again.
Speaker 2: Ever. Yeah, I don't even know where that comes from.
Speaker 1: I really don't.
Speaker 2: That makes absolutely no sense. If you're blaming the block, yeah, I don't know. Man, go with them. If you're If you're so concerned about the the scenario of a slater gift, stupid, it is done. If you're talking about Brandon Aubrey kicking a sixty five yard field goal, right, sixty five yard er. I get it. He's a great weapon for you. Whatever it may be. You go back and drive in the field goal range. If that block punt does not get touched by Ammanio Wi Warier. We're talking about that as one of the plays of the season, of the year. Nick Vigual tho the game if it wins you the game with just over a couple of minutes left. Yeah, dude, I don't know where that is. And we're praising John Fossil here today.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and as we still should, probably because it was a great call and it worked, and you put your your players in the.
Speaker 1: Best station to call, and Nick vigil deserves praise for what he did, not to be looked upon as the person to blame. Are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: I hate that that guy forced a fumble, Like I hate that. What are you talking about?
Speaker 5: Ball?
Speaker 1: I hear cricket is hiring fans go over there.
Speaker 2: They probably are when when cricket's pretty bad, we're talking about Ammonio Will Warrier and and that whole scenario. I thought Jordan Lewis put it really well yesterday. Yes it's a mistake. Yes, the ball was passed the line of scrimmage. That's a live football. It acts as a punt. Get away from it, and everybody, and like you said, everybody should have gotten away from it. We all a champ there. He brought up the point and said he was trying to pick up the ball and he was leaning forward. He was trying to recover that ball. He wasn't trying to get up and run. He was trying to recover it. That guy, in terms of Amani, he was diving for the football to recover the football. He wasn't diving on it to take it back to the house and be a hero. Was wiry. It was very much so. What leon Lett was trying to do. He thought it was a live ball as in a fumble. Didn't know the rules, which is a mistake in its own right. But I'm not going to sit here and say he was trying to play the ultimate hero and it was a selfish move. Whatever he was doing he felt like was best at the time. You just got to know the rules.
Speaker 1: Those guyn't wondering and they're saying, oh, well, the rule is stupid. Just so you understand, a block punt is still a punt.
Speaker 2: Still a punt because it leaves it's just kickers are right.
Speaker 1: The only difference is it didn't go fifty yards. It went fourteen yards. Yeah, So just like if it went fifty yards and the kicking team recovered it, it's their ball. If it's blocked and it goes fourteen yards and the kicking team return recovers it, it's their ball.
Speaker 2: Well, and if you were to, if you were to treat it as a live football way that Amani thought it would, then that just turns every blocked punt into a crapshoot, is what it would turn it into. So that's why it's the rule. You can block a punt and it still acts as a punt if it crosses a line of scrimmage. That's the key word. It has to cross hate the.
Speaker 1: Rule to love the rule. The fact is the rule is the rule, and it is the rule. I gotta especially situational football.
Speaker 2: Last call, let's go to Larry out in South Carolina. Larry, you're on talking Cowboys. What's going on?
Speaker 5: All right? I said my call It was down over the bummer last night. But my wife was telling me to be quiet because I can't take it reco for gosh. Yeah, man, my wife was quiet. You want to wait the neighbors.
Speaker 1: Good for you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, now my question it's no seed. Put your jacket on. Maybe it's ear too early in the week, but go be in Charlotte Sunday. Can we at least win that game.
Speaker 2: Appreciate the cal Larry.
Speaker 5: You'd be good science.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, find it. Find it. It's the NFL, so you can win. You can win because it's the NFL. Odds are against you, though, especially with Bryce Young getting confident, and you're also going to likely we'll see how the week goes, but you're likely going to be without Cooper b B. You're starting center on top of losing to Marvey on overshewn because Cooper BB left the game with a concussion on last night and he's moving into a short week. So if you recall what happened with Jake Ferguson, he was moving into short week and he missed not one but two games. So we'll see if Cooper BB is available. But there's another shakeup on the offensive line. The umpteenth won this season. As you saw, brock Hoffman went to center, TJ. Bass went to right guard, So that lineup, we'll see if Tyler Guidan is healthy, but there's a chance to be chill with idoga. Tyler Smith, Brock Kaufman, TJ. Bass, and Terrence steelere.
Speaker 2: Just like we all thought at the start.
Speaker 1: So the adversity continues to stack. But again, never say never in the NFL. Just ask the Browns versus the Steelers. But you're up against it as far as walking in the airline and trying to leave with a.
Speaker 2: Win, when I think a way that you win that game is those guys continue to play well. I think if you would have told me at the start of the year in training camp that by week fifteen it was going to be that starting five, I'd be like, I have zero confidence whatsoever in this offense.
Speaker 1: And it's not.
Speaker 2: Like I'm super confident anyways, but I think this offensive line has done a tremendous job of filling in the holes. You still have zero confidence, but it's not because of the offense, not because of the offensive line. There's a couple other things that are playing there and not Rico either. Rico was phenomenal you and I even I looked over at you the press box leaning back and I was like, I can just feel eyes on me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because that's what you do. So back to back one hundred yard rushing games for the first time in his career and set a new career high last night over the week prior. So Rico is is firing on all cylinders. It just got to stop getting away from him. And that's that shouts out to not only what Rico is being able to do and showing his It was a couple of times that she was a bit more patient. There's a particular play where he cut back inside, but the lane had opened wide on the right between the guard and Terrence Steele, and he just didn't wait that split second for it to developing to turn into like a three yard game versus maybe like a nine yard game. But for the most part, Rico was balling. Cowboys just got to keep handing him the ball off in Again, that's also created to the offensive line because even with the shuffling going on, guys like brock Hoffman, TJ. Bass, obviously Tyler Smith continues to play at a high level. And you know, Terrence Steele, he's playing some good football too. So that old line is doing some things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they are definitely doing some things, and they're doing it while rotating and maneuvering and revolving door and musical chairs, all sorts of stuff, maneuvering, maneuvering, maneuvering. I like, yeah, I liked it. Last night, I said on the pregame show, I was talking about decimals, like I was emphasizing a number of one of the stats or whatever, and I was like, normally we don't use decimals, and I was, and immediately Jerry Madelon texted me it was like, it's decimals. I was like, yeah, I'm dealing with decibels with its echo on the plaza because there's like a two second delay. I was, yeah, it was just mistakes happened. I also ripped my pants all the way down last night too. What Yeah, yeah, I need to find the picture. I should have brought the pants in there. There's still in my truck, my suit pants that I wore for pregame live. As soon as I sat down in the press box. I'm talking from like belt down to the crotch area, all the way down.
Speaker 1: Even even Kyle's pants have to go on season indiing torn Ye, torn torn seems, torn seems all the way unbelievable.
Speaker 9: I had to go.
Speaker 2: I walked like I did the walk of shame, like out of the press box as sneakily as I could, went all the way down that's a good way to in talking cowboys. Went all the way down to my truck, went all the way out to the parking lot, had a pair of jeans in the truck, changed into those, and then walked to Walmart across the street. So I went from the truck to Walmart, bought a pair of the only slacks, black slacks. I was where or I could find put those on. It was funny. I didn't even have my credit card with me, it was in the press box. I had to zell the person in front of me and then check out line, and then walked back to my truck, changed into my my suit pants, walked back up to the press box, and acted like nothing.
Speaker 1: Ever happens the twenty twenty four season.
Speaker 2: Yep, that's one hundred microcosm.
Speaker 1: Of how this walking to Walmart, feeling the draft.
Speaker 2: Before I walked on walk, I felt the briskness, the little brisk in God's places. Let me just say this, get you a friend like Barry Church, because Barry was sitting right next to me whenever it happened because I sat down, we just got back in from the pregame show. Sat down. I felt it and then I looked at Barry. I was like, hey, I need you to do me a favorite. I was like, you need to tell me how bad this is, and he's like, what happened? I was like, I tore my pants. I was like, I got to see how bad it is. I'm going to stand up, but you're going to just take a look at it, and you're gonna tell me I it is. He was like, all right, I got you. I stood up. He goes, goh and sit back down. Goh and sit back down. It was bad, So good little laugh for you and for me and for everybody to end what was otherwise a sad night at at and T Stadium, twenty seven to twenty the final. We'll be back tomorrow. We're already turned to the page. Like Patrick said, it is a short week. The Carolina Panthers are coming up. We're gonna do the Cowboys defensive preview against Bryce Young Company, who are starting to pick up some steam on their offensive side of the ball. How can the Cowboys, without tomorrow being overshown, help slow things down? From Carolina. We'll talk about it tomorrow. Tommy Yarish will join the show as well for Patrick Nocy, Walker, Josh Rodriguez, Chris Beam in the back of Kyle Yeoman saying so long from Talking Cowboys. We'll see you for Wednesday. This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.