Speaker 1: Ridiculous History is a production of iHeartRadio. Welcome back to the show, fellow Ridiculous Historians. Thank you, as always so much for tuning in. This is a mid game announcement. We are part way through a series on the inspiring ridiculous history of fantasy sports.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, why don't we just go ahead and join ourselves already in progress.
Speaker 1: So they embarked upon making their dream manifest, making their fantasy reality. They had a few ideas that didn't quite take off, like a restaurant guide, a billing system based on Java architecture. Along the way, they added a new guide to the band, a guy named Matt fort Now, and they started saying, look, we can build websites for you. If you were someone who wants to have an online presence, come to us. They were originally thinking about fantasy baseball at all. It took a fantasy baseball player to contact them, and this guy said to them, could you build me a website that makes it easier for me to share stuff with my fellow fantasy football league? Can you help me? Can you help me present this information in a more approachable way? And don't worry, I don't need you. Guys to do the math. I have a system. I will calculate the results myself.
Speaker 2: Real quick, y'all. Is commissioner Is that like sort of the dungeon master of the whole the whole deal.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're They're the person who runs the league. So it's very much more of an administrative position than anything where it's just like you know, so like in our league, like I tell my buddy Ronnie, like you're you're in charge, but he kind of runs stuff a lot by a lot of us was to kind of do it. But look, you know, at the end of the day, because obviously the online stuff does all the calculations. Now you don't do that yourself, right, But.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, and that's the whole deal. This is this product or this platform that they were working on was ultimately dubbed commissioner because it was a way of doing the work of that individual and making everybody a little more freed up to have fun with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, And that was the result of an ongoing evolution. Now, our guy we mentioned earlier, Bizarres, he had already had some experience. He played one year of fantasy football, and he went to the commissioner, the admin in charge of his league and said, hey, man, you know, just between us, how long do you spend setting everything up for us to play this game? And the commissioner takes a second, choose it over and says, I'm looking at it, about eight hours per week on this and then this is what leads to that evolution you're mentioning there. Bizaris and his buddy say, wait, what if we can do all that work for the commissioner. You can set up your own lineups instead of having to call this guy and waste eight hours of his week. We can calculate the stats, we can put the standings up there. We can do all of this online.
Speaker 2: And this would be a big deal. This would be an incredibly powerful tool to offer fantasy players. So at the time, there were already some fantasy stats services, but they were expensive because of how niche it was. They charged about three hundred bucks a season. The partners put their heads together inside it, they would also match that price, but they would give a lot more bang for those bucks. They would make it a much better service that was currently available, and it would be the first entirely online version of this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's it's a fantastic idea. It's phenomenal.
Speaker 2: Well, it's the perfect example of being on the ground floor of something where you see a need and you recognize it because it's something that you're into and you know it would be something that you would like to have. It's just the perfect example of like a AHA moment in business.
Speaker 1: Right, it's a light bulb moment. However, asterisk, it's a great idea that they have not actually created just yet.
Speaker 2: No, no, this is cocktail napkin stuff for sure, chicken chicken wing napkin stuff.
Speaker 1: Right, everybody's two beers deep and the vibe is great. Will this carry through tomorrow?
Speaker 2: They have you said?
Speaker 3: You said chip chicken wing naptin. We have to discuss this. I'm sorry. The table, what sauce is on there? Or what sauce is there's probably multiple sauces.
Speaker 2: In New York City. It would probably be just like a good bustle buffalo wing. Yeah, yeah, probably buffalo.
Speaker 3: There would be like a spicy barbicue you as well, because or I hope, yeah, okay, it's mostly it's ficy hot sauce and it's like is it kind of like just like soaked in it, Like it's dried out afterwards. But it's the entire things that kind of reddish nap.
Speaker 2: I don't know what what What kind of wing did Cuba Gooding Junior force us to eat?
Speaker 1: Oh god, he was so specific about that. No, we'll keep it in. This is.
Speaker 2: For another day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think we've talked about that on the show. They were talking about was very kind to us, quite kind of kindness, let's say, mercurial perhaps, but everybody goes through things. Uh, it was. I believe it was a wet barbecue.
Speaker 2: Actually, I think you're right. It was definitely. I want to say though it was a regular old buffalo, but it was wet for sure.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: I can't I can't truly speak with authority there, but I remember it being a wet wing. It had a kick to it, Yeah, did right, little kick, so as did Kuba. Cuba was kicked up a couple of notches himself.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, I remember it being a wet wing. That is the tagline for the episodes.
Speaker 1: Waitne yes, So these guys are having a great time with their chicken wigs. God, we're gonna close the lunch and they said, Okay, the baseball season's coming up. Let's assume we have a few months to prepare. But then two days later, after they have this light bulb moment, this epiphany, they say, holy crap, guys, did you know that we can buy ad space in the back page of the largest fantasy magazine, fantasy sports magazine itself. And this is to that earlier comparison about getting in on the ground floor. This would be like if our fearless leader Conall Brn had a meeting with us about maybe starting podcast and then went to the New York Times the next Thursday and took out a full page ad same podcast We're happening.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, yeah, spoke called putting the car before the horse.
Speaker 1: For sure, they had they had the idea, they were doing the legwork. They saw, as you said, the market opportunity. But they had not written a single line of code. They were just so committed. They had such faith in their idea that they went ahead and pulled the advertisement.
Speaker 2: Well, this is classic fake it till you make it type stuff. So they indeed had twenty four hours to submit the thing. They had not made a company name yet, they had no artwork, all that good stuff. They designed the ad saying that they would update the stats daily, they would extend American Express, Visa and MasterCard, and they also promised a whole bunch of other bells and whistles that they had no implementation of whatsoever.
Speaker 1: Right, I love improv man. They were just yes through the whole thing. If you had dropped by that meeting when they were having their frantic brain trust to make this ad, you could have said almost anything and they probably would have been like, yeah, put it in. That's a great point. Anyway, they do succeed. They launched commissioner dot com right around New Year's Eve. The ball drops in Times Square ringing in nineteen ninety seven, just one hectic month. This is the moment in our film adaptation where we get the montage right. This is where we see just snippets of their frenetic process. Bizarre Is still has a day job. He's working at Banker's Trust, and per his own later reports, he say that during this month he slept it best in average of an.
Speaker 2: Hour a night.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: If that's physically possible. Yeah, it seems like a bit of lore, a little bit of myth making. But I think it's safe to say that in order to get something like this off the ground and the ridiculously tight timeline that they set for themselves, sleep would certainly be secondary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, agreed, right, priorities, and he has responded to this. Bizarres later said, this sounds like hyperbole, but it isn't. I worked all day every day, about twenty three hours. Once we launched, I gave myself three hours of sleep a night because we had to get ready for the baseball season.
Speaker 2: I think sure that could work. In the article, Scheckter talks about a moment when Bizarres took a twenty minute nap in a bathroom stall. This does not necessarily bode well in terms of the efficacy of these micronap Let's just say only to notice that he had rested his head against the toilet paper dispenser because his forehead now read if role is empty slide cover to write one of the molded plastic jobs, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that happens at his day job at Banker's Trust. By this point, the fantasy football idea that they're working on has started to turn a profit. Not a big profit, but it started to make a little money. And this inspires Bizarres and co. He is confident that he can leave his job at Banker's Trust and focus all of his energy on commissioner dot com. He's the software developer.
Speaker 2: Every time I hear commissioner, I just think Commissioner Gordon right inescapable. So back to that piece, Bizarres was the software developer, while Gersh was the business guy. He handled vendors and all of the marketing efforts. They had an office in a building that was not up to spec, say the The writer says that it should have been condemned.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this is the kind of warst story that you'll hear later in tales of Silicon Valley startups.
Speaker 2: Classic startup lore.
Speaker 1: Of course, no heat, no hot water. We're sleeping next to our computers to stay warm, peeing in jugs. Mice are there, you know what I mean. We're probably we're probably splitting a pizza as a celebration this first baseball. Lots of lots of robin noodles, maybe nag if you're fancy. By the way, keynote, just a little pro tip for our fellow Ramin fans. A dash of sesame oil not too much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the egg, no question, crack it right, in there.
Speaker 1: I think we're accidentally played here, we're doing it again, because we clearly had a very heavy, heavily reliant Romen based period of our own lives.
Speaker 2: Well, so it's that up against lunch situation that you mentioned.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, yeah, rotisserie Romin chichicken wings. Okay, so you're absolutely right, their first time out, their first time around the block. This initial baseball season, they snagged two hundred paid customers, each paying three hundred dollars, as you mentioned, per season, and then they had separately one hundred subscribers for football at the same price.
Speaker 2: Interesting, Okay, so at this point it was secondary football.
Speaker 1: Yeah, at this point it was at this point there were more baseball customers for Commissioner dot com.
Speaker 2: So they were still kind of testing the waters to see what was going to be their most popular offering.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, and they met with results. The next baseball season, they have eight hundred separate leagues. That's enormous growth, and part of that is because these guys were so nimble and so responsive. Anytime a customer came to them with the request that was not absolute wing nuts stuff, they made it happen. They made it so shout out to Picard.
Speaker 2: Indeed this Max approves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's for you, Max. So this puts them streets ahead of other people in the space like ESPN and sports Line. At this time, they're trying to do their own kind of fantasy thing and they only have one set of rules that people can play. So because these guys are so adaptable, with Commissioner dot Com, they're able to relocate to a newer office that's not quite as terrible. It's not great, it's just their fewer mice.
Speaker 2: And this was just the beginning. I mean, it's nineteen ninety eight. Commissioner not Gordon, and CBS would eventually partner up to create CBS sports Line Commissioner dot com in all caps. As Max points out, this is early dot com days. So in its very first year, the fee was dropped from three hundred bucks to only one hundred because ad revenue was supplementing that. So they were able to decrease the subscription fee, which of course was a value add and helped up their numbers, but the ad revenue ended up being way more than they bargained for in like a really good way.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, man, this is the kind of story that becomes folklore. If you've ever started your own business, you know how difficult it is to succeed in the first place, right, you know how unimaginably amazing it is to meet this level of success. So soon, this fee approach that they have is really speaking to the market. They have ten thousand football leagues. Very soon after it becomes the dominant business for cbssportsline dot com. One month they got a check for five hundred thousand dollars, and this clock's to the big guys, the fatcats, and the established sports industry. Sports Line comes to them and says, we want to buy you out.
Speaker 2: If you can't beat them, buy them. On December seventh, nineteen ninety nine, Cbssportsline dot Com Boughtcommissioner dot Com for forty six million dollars. And it was a massive sea change in the lives of our heroes.
Speaker 1: And shout out to Bizarres, who later says, when I checked my bank ballot that day, I half expected to see twelve dollars or whatever in my checking account, but there were a lot of zeros. It was the most surreal.
Speaker 2: Thing, big moment. So with Commissioner dot com launching the first modern ish fantasy platform. Sorry I'm screaming the commons in all caps is still test to me.
Speaker 1: It's on purpose all caps, it is, yeah, but it just makes you feel like you're supposed to yell at.
Speaker 2: The fantasy industry was off to a great start, and it began to exponentially increase in popularity, as Keithan Baboo writes for The Miami Student, who stays they are the oldest college newspaper west of the Alleghanies. I love anything that claims to be something the best of something west of the Alleghanies. This is very fun. Flex is my points out.
Speaker 1: I love those big claims for the Mason Dixon Line. As long as they have a caveat, It's always the caveat for me.
Speaker 2: Dude.
Speaker 1: It's like I am the world champion bingo player in the southeastern North Ohio Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: Area, the largest hot dog sculpture in the Chicago Land area.
Speaker 1: Exactly right, especially when it's really specific geography, like this is the world's fourth largest frying pad in this part of Missouri.
Speaker 2: Largest Adirondack chair in the Rockies. Exactly Also, I'm a big fan of the Tri State area. Anything that refers to the Tri State area.
Speaker 1: Oh, I love it. I'm a sucker for that, man. That's why I love to take road trips, avoiding interstates. That's where you see a lot of.
Speaker 2: The cool stuff. That's what you should all do, all those fun roadside attractions. See rock City if you can.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh man, rock City. So anyway, as Babu was reporting, fantasy sports has a culture that you can trace throughout the late twentieth century, but it isn't until the advent of the Internet that it becomes wide scale popular. If you look at our friends from a fixa from Fantasy Sports and Gaming Association, you'll see that from nineteen ninety one to nineteen ninety four, something between one and three million people somehow participated in fantasy sports, but by two thousand and three that number had more than trebled. The figure rose to fifteen point two million people, and.
Speaker 2: As recently as twenty twenty two, the number has ballooned to more than the sixty two million people sixty two point five to be I don't know.
Speaker 1: Man, we might need to hop on the train here, because otherwise what happens when we're some of the last people who are not actively playing these games.
Speaker 2: It's not for me, but I do because I just don't have the I just don't have the knowledge to really enjoy it. And I've just never been a sports guy. I do, like you said, been enjoy the electric energy at like live sporting events, and I really do appreciate the folks that drill down into this kind of stuff. But for me, I'm more into stats around like video games, you know, like leveling up characters and doing character builds and all of that, and also like music trivia and movie trivia, So I do use similar parts of my brain, do I think the parts of the brain that are used in this kind of stuff. But it's just not for me. But I really dig the history of it, the bootstrappiness of it, all the scrappiness of this company, and you know, love people with passion about anything.
Speaker 1: Did I tell you, because I think I've mentioned this off air a little bit earlier, But I won a World Cup fantasy football league no way, Yeah, totally by accident too, because like you, I am, by no means a stat wizard in the world of sports. But when Argentina took the Cup recently, I accidentally made some enemies in this league that they invited me to because everybody knew that I was just guessing and woefully uninformed. So shout out to that.
Speaker 2: That is really interesting that you point that out, because we're going to get to a question that we sort of raised at the top, where does this intersect with gambling? And a big difference or differentiator in this from the perspective of the fantasy sports industry is that this is entirely considered to be a game of skill. Yes, yeah, absolutely arguably though right because you can certainly still be successful at it wildly, so to your point, Ben, just by rolling the dice.
Speaker 3: And to be and to jump in real quick. So nol they actually for many many years has changed now. But like the thing that stuff like FanDuel and DraftKings were using was a special exemption in the law that deemed that fantasy sports were not gambling. So for example, my fantasy football league, we have like two hundred fifty dollars problem and it's pretty big for a fantasy league. Yeah, but it's seventeen weeks plus like the three weeks beforehand and whatnot.
Speaker 2: So it's like you do get paid you buy it's so it is still kind of gam I mean.
Speaker 3: Game, but it's considered a game of skill because it's a lot of it's not lucky because it's just like really hard to win, like especially a highly competitive league without that. But it's also the buy in. Reason why you do it buy in the league is a like we don't we joke like it's nice to get the money. I bought a new monitor and stuff like that with the winnings last year. But the reason why you do it buy in most leagues is because if you do for free, people just stop playing.
Speaker 2: It's a barrier to entry.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: You don't want like any any old jabroni off the street to jack up your league.
Speaker 1: And they give up four weeks in, right. That's because really this is a social activity between friends, you know, and.
Speaker 3: Nothing's worse than like you play a team in a league that's like really good in week one and they smoke you, and then they stop playing in week four and then everyone else beats up on them. Well I had to play them in week one and they they and then they quit afterwards.
Speaker 2: Quick question, are there ways if you don't have a group of friends, Are there like open public leagues that you can be a part of the probably quite large? Yeah, Okay, got it.
Speaker 3: Well, the standard league size viusually around like ten or twelve. In football, there's just there's just not there's just not that many players.
Speaker 2: So there's matchmaking basically, is what I'm saying. Exact way, it's.
Speaker 3: Match making exactly.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: Then one last thing, I want to just drop on this because you hit it on this perfectly. It's like fantasy is sports is way more in nerdom than people want to admit that it is. It's a pretty nerdy thing. I would say, that's find of way. I think I've always gravitated towards it because I am a nerdy person. I love stats and stuff like that. And you said matchmaking right there, I'm like, yeah, it's it's it's it's just like that Madden is like the nerdiest game of all times.
Speaker 2: All of my parallels are video game and like nerdy board game related. And it's a really good point, Max. It does seem like there's a lot more intersections between those communities than your average you know, roughneck sports fan might admit, right, it's.
Speaker 1: Numbers versus numbers. Really it's quantitative analysis, and this is this is where we see again. I love that point, Max. This is where we see something that gives lie to the stereotype of maybe sports fans being meat heeadsh or dunderheads. Next right, these guys are in the world of sport them Overall, these fantasy sports players are often seen as niche, nerdy people, and this starts to change in more recent decades. In two thousand and six, a guy named Matthew Berry starts two shows on ESPN, Fantasy Insider and Fantasy Football. Now these give people fantasy football analytics every Sunday morning, and this normalizes fantasy league pursuits. It also shows that there's a demand for televised fantasy content. It makes me think of so to continue the video game comparison, Remember when e sports became a big thing. It was because they were televised and they were streams, and it became normalized to be For.
Speaker 2: The longest time, I thought esports had to be sports based video games, but esports refers to the entire genre of competitive gaming, whatever the type of game might be.
Speaker 1: Exactly right, like watching people, I love watching games like Mortal Kombat or All StarCraft Smash Pros Smash Pros, and I love hearing the excited announcers who are like, oh, that's a block. Oh he's doing a puttish.
Speaker 2: Well, if you're ever in Atlanta, and I'm sure there are other versions of this that are very similar. Momo Con is as one of my favorite nerddom fandom conferences around here, and it incorporates esports in a very big way. It's a huge part of what it's about. And you can spectate and it is that had never done that before and I was fascinated. So it is its own type of sport.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, yeah, I think we're all we're all big fans of this, even if we're not experts in the respective fields. Now, we wanted to end our series with one of the big questions, and we teased at the top and kind of throughout this gambling all right, So recent years, folks were recording this in twenty twenty five. Recent years, changes in US federal and state laws have kind of opened up sports gambling. They've paved the way for sports gambling. One of the most notable examples of this is something called daily Fantasy.
Speaker 2: Which is funny because it's using that fantasy term. I don't know, some of this stuff feels a little predatory to me.
Speaker 1: I agree, I agree we've had because it's a bit bit of like a that intersection, it can be dangerous for some people.
Speaker 2: And you could argue, some could that if people have that gambling bug or that you know, that addictive gene, fantasy sports could very well be a gateway drug into the kind of online gambling that can wreck people. And I think with some of these recent changes in the law that's more true now than ever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because we're talking about look to Max's point about the length of time commitment for a lot of fantasy leagues, things like daily fantasy are arguably hacking people's neurochemical processes because now you've got instant gratification, you've got that instant opportunity for dopamine. Instead of playing a season long term or committing to seventeen weeks, you can draft a team for a week or just a day, or just make something and make a prediction on a single game and you can win money. So how is that not gambling?
Speaker 2: It's a philosophical question, isn't it. That's a certain point, But also it is, you know it is.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's the thing, right, We're being so diplomatic here. Sports betting is not a there are definitely legal ways to do it, and there are gray market ways to do it. But sports betting in this daily fantasy kind of perspective, it's not the same thing as the season long fantasy leagues. They're very different. Some experts have said they believe people are doing daily fantasy because they couldn't quite yet legally gamble. All right, is fantasy sport?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: Is it gambling? Is it a game of skill? Shout out to everybody who checked checked in on our ongoing conversation about gambling in shady gas stations on stuff they don't want you to know.
Speaker 2: So is it gambling? Is it sport?
Speaker 3: The answer is yes, it's both. But it's like it's you know, it's it's a minutia. It's like, you know, in like what proportion of it? And I mean, I'm not a daily fantasy player. I'm not a fan of it is too much of the gambling spectrum. I like the skill. I like building my team out for the years long. But I will make an argument for daily sports right here, which is my very very very dear friend Kevin Cool, who I don't think you guys have met him, but you guys have heard me talk about He's my friend I just saw on in Portland for a while. Him and I worked together for a number for about a year in a bar in Atlanta on we'd work Wednesday nights together and Wednesdays were so stupid slow and the NBA slate like always sucked, and so we had to find a way to get through it, and so we played a lot of daily fantasy about like you know, it was like the Utah Jazz versus the Minnesota timber Wolves. Do we care about either of those teams? No, no one does. Okay, there are some people out there here are fans of these teams, but no, there's no one does. Portland Trailblazers might be a better example, and he's from Portland, so he can say that now. But it was something to make this game interesting and it was fun, and it's a way I became much closer friends with this guy. That's kind of what fantasy is. It's a lot of times about finding a community a friendship at people with similar interests. It's same as nerding nerding on gaming and talking about Star Trek and Chicken Wings.
Speaker 1: Yes, podcasts podcast right, Oh, I can't believe we're still doing this low these many years, managers do have to not just roll the dice. Right, The story that I shared about the World Cup is very much a cartoonish outlier. Everybody else who has playing this stuff is doing deep research, not just facts and statistics, but game theory, a little bit of psychological analysis or as you said, little tea leaf reading.
Speaker 2: And that's the thing though about this philosophical quandary around gambling, because there are a lot of gambling games that there are people that are better at it than others. Surely, I mean, poker involves some chance, but it also involves reading the room, reading people's tells, like so many little minute, you know, micro gestures and things that go into being a good poker player, not to mention, like adherence to certain patterns and having certain types of strategy or whatever. Right, Like, it's not all chance, but it's also not all skill.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And they jump in here to talk about like that dopamine rushia you were talking about as well, which is like taking I one of my biggest I consider myself blessed that I don't have that itch. Gambling doesn't scratch thatn inche for me, And but I have a lot of people in my life who do have that itch, and I've seen them, and a lot of them. I know a lot of people who don't gamble for that reason, and I know a lot of people who are in a lot of physics have caused a lot of physical harm to themselves and the people around them because of that itch. And that The thing about it is when you're playing in a fantasy league, there are people who play fantasy who do have that itch. And you'll hear like you'll I've been in the leagues before where it's like five hundred dollars buy in and like monthly things, and then like they're talking after the season, we should over like a thousand now, and it's like, well, okay, maybe, and they're talking about like the prize winnings and stuff. But the truth is you're playing in like a standard league. The return is so long and it takes so little relative that it just doesn't really appeal to people.
Speaker 2: That makes sense.
Speaker 3: But like twenty dollars, there's like twelve hundred dollars lineups you can play and like DraftKings execondly, I think you play DraftKings Atlanta right now.
Speaker 2: But yep, no big pass. But let's also not forget that, you know, there's certain arguments to be made that playing the stock market in a certain way is absolutely gambling. And it all depends on your strategy and your long game and how you know whether you're a day trader, whether you're trying to like do mean stocks and all of that kind of thing. I mean, people lose their shirt on the stock market all the time, and it can scratch that itch in the same way.
Speaker 1: What's your loss tolerance, what's your risk a version? We do want to shout out to study from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology back in twenty eighteen. They looked at the win loss records of thousands of fantasy players over multiple seasons, and they concluded, based on the math, that the game of fantasy football is inherently a contest that rewards skill. If you're looking at these United States, you'll see that the definition or differentiation between a game of skill or a game of chance has gone down to the state level. So in forty five states right now, more or less the determination between gambling and a game of skill is whether there is, as we said, more skill than luck in a contest. The waters have been pretty muddied with things like Draft Kings and fan Duel and full disclosure folks on several shows in the past. I believe we have done ads for at least DraftKings, if not Fan Duel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do remember doing Draft Kings, and every time you run one of those, every time you hear them, you're gonna hear that fine print about God of gambling to the addiction, you know, call this hotline. So there's parts of the law that do require that sort of disclosure.
Speaker 1: I will go on record again apologizing to all my friends in the real world old who heard those trojan ads I had to do. That was that was awkward for a lot of people. But you know, protection is important. Okay, So we've already talked about the appeal of playing fantasy sports. We've talked about the history, which is both inspiring and arguably ridiculous. We wanted to end by noting that there are other fantasy sports than golf and baseball and foot curling. Max said us, what about curly? What else we got?
Speaker 3: It's like it's a compiler. I don't know if you actually join curling leagues there, but there is a list of curling leagues out there.
Speaker 1: You got to be the change. Right, We'll start our own curly league. We've got NASCAR and f one. We've got oh, like we said, e sports, there's a League of Legends, fantasy league, a Fantasy League of Legends league.
Speaker 2: It's a fantasy game and a fantasy league. Got PGA Tour, which makes sense. Max admits to have had his time in the past playing fantasy golf and request that we insert a joke about how the PGA is a flock of cowards who are now in bed with the Saudi theocracy.
Speaker 3: Haven't research that in a very long time, but.
Speaker 2: That one there they.
Speaker 3: Separated from Live Golf, which Lived Golf Saudi, then they remerged back in.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: We do check out our episode on sports swashing on stuff they don't want.
Speaker 3: You to do, and that seems like much more in y'all spectrum than it is in mine on for sure.
Speaker 2: Check that one out, and do also check out the episode I think been mentioned that at one point earlier about weird sketchy stuff that goes on at gas stations, because we do talk about in Georgia in particular, that line between what makes a machine a gambling machine or a skill based machine.
Speaker 1: Ed also if you're listening and you are not part of this crazy thing we call the United States. You're already well aware that cricket is much more popular globally than baseball, so it should come as to a surprise that there are fantasy leagues for cricket. There are also fantasy leagues for rugby, and as we learned right as we were going into this episode, there are also some fantasy leagues for sumo wrestling.
Speaker 2: Amazing. Yeah, I really I'm excited for you and your sumo adventures to come. Ben.
Speaker 1: We'll see, man, I can't wait. I say this every time these things come up, but I can't wait for the three of us to get on a road trip together and take a ridiculous history abroad. One day. Soon we got a dream big, just like those guys at that bar who said they were going to start a fantasy league.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they did a good job, they did, agree.
Speaker 1: And speaking of great jobs, big thanks to our super producer, mister Max Williams, our research associate for this series, Max Williams, as well as Alex Williams, who composed this bang in track.
Speaker 2: That's right. Thanks to Christopher Hasiotis and need Jeff codes here and Spara, Jonathan Stricklin, The Quiztor, Aj Bahamas, Jacobs, The Pustling.
Speaker 1: And I think that's our show. Oh my gosh, I'm so excited for lunch Man.
Speaker 2: We'll see you next time, folks. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.