Speaker 1: Warning today's episode, today's spoilers for episode two of The Penguin on Max.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: My name is Jason Concepcion and I'm rosday Night, and welcome.
Speaker 1: Back to Extra revision of the podcast where we dive dee bit to your favorite shows, movies, comics and pop culture. Coming you from my Heart podcast where we're bringing you two episodes a week every Tuesday and Thursday, and.
Speaker 3: Sometimes a secret episode two In today's not secret episode. In the previously on, we have a very specific musical Batman news to react to. A new companion album for Joker Fully Adure titled Harlequin by Lady Gaga was released on Friday last week, and look, we will be recapping and breaking down episode one or two on the Penguin and guess what, it's even better than the first one.
Speaker 1: But first previously on, okay, first up, wow, here it is. Lady Gaga has released a new album called Harlequin of course on Friday. It is a thirteen track companion album to the Joker movie, which comes out this Friday and may or may not be a day bacle. I know, wait to find out.
Speaker 3: And you know what, I'm very proud of Lady Gaga for this move, honestly, because I have been reading the reviews, and the reviews are like, she's not necessarily in it as much as we expected, you know, but I will say, you know what, good for you, girl, make an album. I'm guessing from this track list that this is the track list of most of the songs that are in the movie. There's some that we've heard in the trailer, like smile that's life, Wow, can't wait to walkuing Phoenix doing that perennial American karaoke favor.
Speaker 4: That's not I know, dude.
Speaker 3: Every song on this album is like and potentially the movie trailer is like do can you believe that they went this obvious? And then I see what Tom Phillips is saying about the Batman and how Arthur Fleck would love him because he's an alpha male, and I'm like, okay, this makes sense. So, you know what, good good luck to Lady, and I hope this album sells well and that your little monsters love it, because, as Jason said.
Speaker 5: The movie maybe a DEBACLELL.
Speaker 1: I know, I who knows? So interested? I'm so interested? All right, coming up, we're stepping out of their lot to talk about episode one oh two of The Penguid.
Speaker 5: The Penguin.
Speaker 1: Penguin Season two, episode two Inside Man Reopen in Arkham. It appears to be a flashback. At first, Blush Sophia is there, Alberto is visiting. She's relieved to see him. His pinky is missing, and then someone shoots him in the head. It's a dream. Rage ignites behind Sophia's eyes. We see red lights flashing, and then we come to realize she's in some kind of experimental like deep memory hypnosis kind of therapy that I have to say, Rosie is a little too based on physical touch with her.
Speaker 5: That's a little bit.
Speaker 3: Touchy feely business against too much like no, off, they don't like this.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think this is appropriate at all for a psychologist slash therapist relationship. He's like and he's hugging her.
Speaker 5: It's yeah, unpleasant to me.
Speaker 1: I don't like that he calms her down. He is doctor Julian Rush. Is this Rush?
Speaker 4: I trusted to see where this goes?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Because also I was like, you know, obviously we always think about this kind of stuff and we're like, oh.
Speaker 5: It's is it Julia?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 4: Rush?
Speaker 3: I also wonder whether it's like, is this I feel like what they're leading to with this season, if we if they are leading to any other villains who would come into this season, into The Batman Part two after this season. I do feel like it's feeling very heavily like Scarecrow coded And I also wonder, you know, we've had Oz Cobb as he is known, like he has been renamed, and I do wonder if there's a world where this doctor ends up being a version of the Scarecrow, you know, because he is definitely like very something. There's something creepy, there's something weird, and we know that there's this drug that people are.
Speaker 5: This like new drug the Oz is.
Speaker 3: Kind of trying arrived off, but there's rumors of it. And then this is some kind of weird therapy that she's in.
Speaker 6: He could just be a creep and.
Speaker 5: The Rush name could just be like a.
Speaker 3: Nod to to Rush, kind of like we got with a with Eve Caller. But yeah, I'm interesting and I hate this character already, Like he definitely seems like a creep to me.
Speaker 5: I've already got I.
Speaker 1: Do not like him. I hate him.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: She gets mad, She storms out of the therapy session. Uh and because he said you're safe now, and she goes, I'm home, basically saying I'm not a safe I'm home, Oz Cod We go to Oz. Oz is sloping pepso bismol in his car. He is going to visit maroneyan black Gate. Sal is wearing a ring, but he also knows that Oz is trying to He understands that Oz is trying to get him to take responsibility for ye is that like, is this like a meeting?
Speaker 4: Like I feel like there's like a lot of people in this.
Speaker 1: It takes places in a wide open era family being oh this is crude, like it does feel like he's kind of like, well done, like you did it, you got our attention, Like you're in trouble.
Speaker 5: But let's see why this goes.
Speaker 1: So, mister Maroney is trying to play a little hardball here, saying, yeah, I know, I know what you're trying to do. I don't think I don't know that I'm stupid. Oz is like, uh, well, you're wear in the ring and you seem to be enjoying the fact that the Falconies are going through it right now. And he's like, listen, they're gonna blame you anyway. You're wearing the ring. They're in chaos right now, lean into it and you can come away the winner of this. He says, if you strike now, everything is to gain. Sal takes some advice from his wife Nadia, who says, yeah, this guy, as he's a pushover.
Speaker 3: We need him also again, like this is hitting to us that Sal and the Maroney family are like running black Gate, because she's just that chilling at that visit there, just like hanging out, like giving him some tips.
Speaker 1: So Sal says, okay, I will claim Alberto, you deliver the drops as products, and that's the deal. Sal then sends one of his coppos off with Oz to help Oz with the whole deal and to basically be the Morony point guy for the Falcone.
Speaker 3: Higt Yeah, because if you don't remember from last week, like there's gonna they want us to shut down the drops, and so he is basically setting out so Marony can steal the drops and make it look like a heist. And that's where we're at with this plan.
Speaker 1: Oz tells the uh the Moroni's, Hey, okay, here's what we're gonna do. I'm gonna ride in a different car. You guys shoot up every single car in the drug caravan, in the Falcone caravan, okay, but you don't shoot that car. Okay. Here's a problem. So when Oz goes to basically prep for the caravan with the Falconies and they're they're moving the drugs in a FEMA truck, Johnny Vid is there and Johnny D's like, wait, you're not gonna ride with the drugs.
Speaker 4: I thought you really cared about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you gotta ride with the drugs. What the fuck? So Oz is like, shit, there's no way out of this. That doesn't look weird. I gotta ride with the drugs. The caravan is moving through the streets, the Maronis are following. Az sees them and so he goes to the back of the truck to basically try to pin the bullets. The gunfight takes place. Everybody gets gunned down. The Maroney guy gets killed.
Speaker 4: Oh Dia like sorry, rip to that man, and.
Speaker 1: The one of the Falconis who is driving the truck gets shot. But before he gets shot, he realizes that Oz double crossed them and he doesn't know it. Oz waddles away with the survivors of the hutst.
Speaker 3: We're gonna take a quick break and we'll be right back. Ah.
Speaker 1: We're back at Falcony mansion. The survivors of the caravan are talking about Oz, like, Wow, what a hero. He saved her.
Speaker 3: He like he gave us the heads up, like he was like, oh shit, something's happening.
Speaker 1: Sophia enters and she's suspicious. Johnny Vedy is hot about the product and we lost the product. And Sofia, meanwhile, is upset about this ongoing accumiliation of the family, including the murder of her brother by the fucking Maroni's. Who do they think they are? Oz agrees, he says, I think she's right. Sophia is like, we gotta kill him, we gotta kill them all. There's a rat in the family. We got to figure out who it is. Luca, uncle Luca, who's basically the boss now because Alberta, Yeah, it's like cool it and just cool it. I will deal with it.
Speaker 3: It's very clear, Like it's very clear that like they just have no like she is disrespected by every member of the family. She's they aren't even scared of the fact that she's allegedly this you know, charged with these serial killings like they just think, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think she's not one. She doesn't have a business mind us, she's a she's an insane psycho killer. But she but Luca takes her side and was like, listen, just stay out of the business. Okay, I'll make the calls. Don't worry about it. The funeral for Alberto is tomorrow, and get some rest. Oz waits for Sophia and he says, you know what, I think there's a rat too. I think you should be the boss. I loved I loved Alberto so much. And here's where I'm like, you're laying on.
Speaker 5: On tooth thick, Like she's not dumb.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because when she when he said that, Sophia like, when did you Alberto never mentioned it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, like who are you?
Speaker 1: So she says, listen, you're just like Luca and the rest of them back the fuck off. Later, Oz complains to Vic. He says, so Sophia's paranoia is going to start a mole hunt that's going to lead to people getting killed, and that means maybe we're gonna get killed. So we have to set up someone to take the fall. We need a patsy. And also we learned that Oz has that gene that he can't eat cilantro or he it's like like it sad fan. On the ride home, Sophia, here's the Gotham news radio start talking about her and how terrible it is that she's been released and the murders that she committed, and the guy her driver's about to change it. But she's like, no, leave this on.
Speaker 4: When to hear She's like, leaving on, baby, I want to hear them.
Speaker 1: Talk about me. At his apartment, Oz tells Vic about another story about his come up and how he was tapped to be the driver for this big shot but he didn't know how to drive, so he stole a car. He taught himself how to drive, basically saying to Vic, hey, fake, it's you make don't say no, guy, sometimes like, don't say no. You got it. You go to do it. Figure it out. Yeah, you gotta figure something out on your feet. Then Eve comes through with a bunch of professional women of the evening. At a bar, Sophia recognizes a Gotham police detective who has clearly got a drop problem.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: He doesn't want any part of the conversation, but she says, listen, I want you to look for a mole in my family, and I got some drops for you if you do it, and he's like, great, I'm in at Oz's. Oz is celebrating with his crew, the survivors of this of the of the fucking Falcony drug caravan that he said, I just have.
Speaker 3: To say, this show is like, you know, I was watching this series and the first and the second episode, especially.
Speaker 4: Like this episode, I was like, I understand what.
Speaker 3: They're doing with this show, which is like you're just constantly on edge, like how's he gonna get out of a scrape this time? Like he's getting himself into a crazy scrape. How's he gonna get out of it? And this man is like crazy, like he's living on the edge. Every plan he has is the most anxiety inducing plan you could ever think oflled like he is playing everyone.
Speaker 4: He's so untrustworthy.
Speaker 3: But you are like, I want to see him out of it, like I want to see all like see if he.
Speaker 5: Can get out of it.
Speaker 1: We learned that Eve's camp performer, she's chatting it up with vic Oscos to his bedroom behind the vault to basically leave his guys and Eve's ladies to it. Vic talking to the women his nervous stutter. Like basically in his room, Oz is like looking through his envelope of blackmail stuff, which includes picks of Vedie with Luca Falcone's.
Speaker 4: Why oh, that's a big deal.
Speaker 1: Eve comes in Eve Knox and wants to talk. She knows that he is using her as his alibi because he obviously killed Alberto. That's too risky for her and her ladies that work for her. Just don't worry. I got it all figured out.
Speaker 3: This man's always planning. Also, I do think it's really interesting. I feel like the sex worker part of this and having Eva is such a major part. It really is a kin to like Batman Yujuan, where you kind of have this version of Selena who lives with sex workers, who's implied to be a sex work. I think it's a really nice way to build in a little bit of the comic book Glaur and I think Eva is a very interesting character, and I'm excited to kind of see where they go with this, and I hope they don't fall into some of the like you know, standard tropes of like sex workers being killed, and I want to see Eve and Oz go forward in this in an interesting way, because I just think it's a really unique, little extra layer that they've added to him.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back after a quick break.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and.
Speaker 1: We're back. From what I've seen so far, I am. I feel good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: I think they've been. I think just in the scene where they're hanging out at OZ, they handle it really well. In the morning, Oz gives Eve like a huge like way over whenever the agreed upon price was huge tipped, like to the point where she's like, this is too much money, and he's getting dressed to you know, go to the balconies for the reception. After Alic's funeral, he then goes to his mom's where he's apparently Oz has been playing the landlord to like take care of his mom rather than hire a home health aid. We'll learn more about this in a second. Why the secrecy. The landlord is like, listen, it's getting really bad. She has dementia. Oz is like, just watch her, and he gives him a lot of money. Oz and mom have a little dance.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He clearly loves his mom very very much. They have a very close.
Speaker 3: Relationship, maybe codependent relationship. It doesn't seem very healthy.
Speaker 1: It's not healthy, but it's clearly full of luck. She then tearfully, tearful, with tears in her eyes. Ozzie, I need you to kill a lot of guys.
Speaker 3: That's all I've ever wanted before I die is just play before I die makes the biggest Smapfia moves.
Speaker 1: Big mafia moves. I need to see you on top of the of the organized crime families and before I die, and he says, mom Ma, I'm not gonna let you down. I'm not gonna do that. Oz arrives at the church. Crazy scene out there, there's protesters angry about the mafia. They're angry about the release of the Hangman. Oz right there, tries to give Luca the VD pics. It's looking I got some new you go on and see, but it doesn't work. Oz that approaches Sophiace and he pretends like, yeah, I was in the back of the funel. You see me there, you're looking for me. I was in back, you know, I dodn't want anybody to see me crying over my close friend now Berta. He says, listen, when my brothers died, there's nobody there for them, And then he tells this story about yeah, you know, my mom was the grief took her over. But then one day she says, let's go out dancing with his jazz club and uh so we dance real close, real slow, and so feels like with your mom, it was weird.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, it's a weird vibe. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 4: I was like, I think she's right.
Speaker 5: She's like, this seems strange.
Speaker 1: And we learned from the rest of this conversation that Oz very very wisely. He's like canny god strategist. Be careful of him. Everyone thinks his mother is dead. That's why all the secrecy, because he doesn't want her as a target out there.
Speaker 4: That's why he drives to a house in the Volvo.
Speaker 5: That's why it's very smart.
Speaker 3: Gods shows how much she trusts Vic, just like instantly, and I know that's because you know, like he could just kill Vic at any time.
Speaker 7: He's ready to kill He's ready to kill Vic at the like that's there is a level of like he sees himself in Vic, and that is a level of like openness that that he's had really since the first time they met.
Speaker 1: That's right. One of Sophia's guys, her main like bodyguard guy comes to like pull her away, and as they're doing that, Oz over, here is that something about a detective. Meanwhile, Oz gets a text from the Maronis we need to meet. The detective comes to Falconi mansion and he brings a wounded Maroney soldier from the heist for Sophia to interrogate. And of course this guy knows Oz is double dealing. Naia Falcone gives Oz shit for the kidnapping of the guy. She's like, you said, this is going to be easy, that they just fall over that Luca doesn't know what he's doing, that Johnny Vide's a moron, and now this Oz is like, this is Sophia. Sophia is doing this on her own because she's like active. The rest of them are idiots, and Luca doesn't have the balls to do this. So Nani is like, okay, well, your all of your value to us is that you tell us what the Falcones are gonna do, and you are failing at that. Therefore we're gonna kill you. So to save his own life, I was like, well, and he shows them the blackmail material the Johnny Vedy fucking Luca's wife blackmail material. And he says, you know, with this week can tear down that whole family. And Naia says, Okay, get that's nice and all that, but you better get our guy back. Okay. Yeah, and you should want him back too, because he can say everything about what you were doing with us at the mansion. It's very clear that nobody trusts Sophia because she's at the reception. She's eating with her hands again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's like acting up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everybody's watching her like they're very, very concerned about her. VIC meanwhile, is very very concerned about this play of o's. Oz's says, here's the plan. You will plant the blackmail jewels in Johnny vtd's car. I will find this guy, and then the two things together will allow us to set up Johnny VD to take the fall for all of the shit that's been going on. Meanwhile, Sophia is like on the phone with her interrogators down in the basement all the time. Is this guy talking? Is this guy talking? Is this guy talking? OZ goes to VDI, this is very smart. He's a smart guy. He goes to VD in the reception, he goes, hey, well, you don't trust me after everything? You don't tell me you got a marony guy in the basement, you know, the morony's they kill a lot of my men. My bad, they almost kill me my guys.
Speaker 6: I love my guys.
Speaker 1: How dare you you don't trust me to know there's a marony, a dirty rack, maroni idea And then and then he storms off and and Vini's like, what is like? So they go to check the basin. Meanwhile, Sophia uh goes and watches some home movies of Alberto in the next room, and she starts throwing back martiniz and she's starting to get really really like hangman level mad. A cousin comes up who she hasn't seen in a while. She's like, oh, we should take a girl's trip. Yeah, we'll go, We'll go back to Lake Coach.
Speaker 6: Is this real?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 4: Are you being nice to me?
Speaker 3: And just this she kind of like starts to think maybe there's someone who doesn't like hate her or fear her.
Speaker 5: A cousin's door comes.
Speaker 1: By, and the cousin reacts like like a wolf has her baby in its jaws, and Sophia.
Speaker 5: Clocks now, yeah, and she's like, well, fuck you, then starts.
Speaker 1: Being very nice but in a menacing way to the girl, and the cousin leaves shaking. Luca is like, Sophia, I want to talk to you. Uh. Meanwhile, Vick is outside. He gets caught breaking David's car and he has to fucking run away. Oz gets to the Maroni guy. He tells the Maroni guy, listen, you say Johnny Vedy say Johnny VD okay, and he's like, I'll do this man, I'll say Johnny, I got it. The guy is dying like he could die.
Speaker 4: I've been fucking this guy up like he's he's now.
Speaker 1: So he calls VIC and learns that VIC failed and so it's time to improvise because the VD plan's not gonna work. So he looks at this guy and he says, hey, man, sorry about it, and then he stabs him.
Speaker 5: He's like, you done.
Speaker 1: Luca reads Sophia the Riot Act for going out on our own, and then he's like, I want to see this guy. He goes to the basement and the guy's dead.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Oh, there is somebody and he says, nobody leaves lock everybody in the living room and it's murder mission.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is a time baby. He's going baby and he's fighting out.
Speaker 1: So everybody gets thrown in there. Oz gets thrown in and they're man handling everybody, even Johnny. Vetny is getting like rustly thrown in the living room and figures out, oh, they're looking for a knife. So he takes a knife. He puts it up his sleeve and then he starts something with V and he's like, there's this because the u VD your fucking incompetence. You got my guys killed, and now all this shoot is fucking going on. What the fuck you the fucking moron you want with the drugs? It's all your fucking fault. And they like kind of scuffle, and in the scuffle, Oz plants the knife on Sophia's bodyguards. That's right, And so when when they search everybody, they find the knife in Sofia's bodyguard's pocket and he's like, Sophia.
Speaker 4: What I would do it? I would never ye, I.
Speaker 1: Would never betray you. And Sophia's like, let me shoot him. Somebody give me a gun, and everybody's like, nobody give the hangman of gun.
Speaker 4: Don't give the hang man of gun. She's not allowed a gun.
Speaker 5: Guys.
Speaker 1: So Lucas shoots the guy in case closed and that's it. Sophia's really mad that Luca didn't let her kill the guy, and he says, listen, it's getting too hot with you. Hear all the hangman stuff. The whole city's up in arms about it. Not to mention, you just wanted to kill a guy right now, you know, like it scares every ready when you start killing it, why don't you get a town on you? And that's what Sophia realizes that there's a they're plotting to get her out of, so she pretends to go along with it. Later, Oz is in the woods with Vic burying the dead maroney Hood and Sophia's body. Oz then says, Vic lay down in the hole. He makes Vick lay down in the hole. Look at these guys, Little Vic, poor little Vic. He's like, look at these guys. Look at these dead guys. Look them. This is what happens when you choke. Okay, you don't come through, and this is what happens. We have to improvise, and we had to kill all these guys and we almost got killed. And he lets Vic out and he says, well, Vic, I don't know, maybe you don't got it in you. Maybe you don't have it in you to compete at this level. Sophia calls Oz, he goes to see her in the family crypt and guess what now she's all about it. She's like, you know, I've been thinking about what you said, and maybe we do team up. Yeah, peak control of the family. I'll be boss. What do you say? And Oz is like, let's dance, let's do it. Maybe just like I used the slowanans with Mama, I'm doing it with you now.
Speaker 3: Ending is like so good because these are two like objectly awful people, but you're just like, yes, yes, yes, I.
Speaker 5: Want to see I want to.
Speaker 3: See these two awful people team up and like see what shenanigans they get into next, and it's gonna be breaking.
Speaker 5: Wait, I can't wait.
Speaker 3: Something else I'd love about this episode is it reminded even though it's like this very you know, dark like funeral episode, it kind of reminded me of those funny like every American teen comedy show like Saved by the Bell or Sister Sister. You know, they would Usa Hi, they would have these episodes where like you have to.
Speaker 5: Tear into marror one of them. They have to pretend to be two different people so they.
Speaker 3: Can go around or like or Zach he's on a date with two girls and he has.
Speaker 1: To keep sleeping out of the room running round for this.
Speaker 3: Has that energy like where Oz is like he's thinking on his feet and he's stuck in this.
Speaker 4: Space that he has to be at the funeral.
Speaker 3: And it was like there is a level of humor to it even though it is like so bleak, and I think something they're doing really well. Is it balancing that like rooting for Oz, but also like just how horribly violent he is, Like he will just kill you to get what he wants.
Speaker 1: I mean when he makes vic Lye down in the grate, that was so brutal. They're very they're really smart about the way they portray him, because they always give you one or two moments per episode where you're like, hey, we're all having fun here, but this guy's a piece of shit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly, and it's it's it's great.
Speaker 1: I love this show. This show is really good.
Speaker 5: It's so good. I can't wait to see where it goes.
Speaker 3: And I kind of love like I wrote a review, a kind of like a review that was also an essay at Polygon about the show, where like the fact it's in this really weird space where.
Speaker 5: Like Aquaman came out at Christmas.
Speaker 3: Last year, and the next DC movie isn't till twenty twenty five, and The Batman isn't.
Speaker 5: Till twenty twenty six.
Speaker 3: It gives it a lot of freedom to kind of exist on its own. And I think that's why a lot of reviewers from places that are maybe a tired of other superhero stuff have really found the love for it. And I, yeah, I just think it's a really really cool show, and I'm very excited to see where it goes, and also like terrified because I know that my faves are going to die and it's all going to be horrible, and yeah, but I just I can't wait.
Speaker 5: It's going to be so good. This is a blessing, this show. It's so so good and so weird.
Speaker 1: On the next couple episodes of Extra Vision, We're getting ready for oooo season by diving into the new Uzamaki adult swim anime, and on Fryday covering the Big Destruction film.
Speaker 6: Finally calib Callabri, to the Wall, to the to the Window.
Speaker 1: Bye x Ray Vision is hosted by Jason Kisupsion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts. Our executive producers are Joelle Smith and Aaron Kaufman. Our supervising producer is a Boo Zafar. Our producers are Carmen Laurent and Mia Taylor. Our theme song is by Brian Basquez.
Speaker 3: Special thanks to Soul Rubin and Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi our discoord moderator.