Speaker 1: The official Jets podcast is on the road Bett. It is a team sport, but together at win bet. Eric Gallen here at Watford in South Carolina with Lejay Dosable, former Jets defensive lineman. Now he's working for CBS Sports, continues to do Jets content as well. And the head coach, of course, the Saint Louis Battlehaw, that is Anthony beck Lejay, what do you think about the wardrobe of AB today. He's a guy out.
Speaker 2: Here once you're a head coach or a head coach everywhere, so he's got to go out and rips out. Man.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to find the bottom layer guys here to bring on my team and get better.
Speaker 1: I love it. Okay. So joint practices we got one day in then in clement conditions. It was a stormy morning here in South Carolina. So the Jets practiced non pads here on Thursday. Let's start with Wednesday. Jets get in some good work against the Carolina Panthers. What were your major takeaways? Initially?
Speaker 3: Does yeah?
Speaker 2: This just d line is something else. I mean there was one team period where Bryce Young got sacked like six or seven straight plays. Quinn Williams made a Mark on practice. John Franklin Myers. I think the depth of the d line is what I don't want to say, surprises you because we saw it last year.
Speaker 3: But when you add a guy like Will McDonald and.
Speaker 2: He even flashing that practice, it shows you that they are the focal point of this defense, right. I love the secondary Sauce Gardner was banged up, didn't practice, but you saw DJ Reid compete.
Speaker 3: Tony Allen just continues. He is the surprise at camp, I.
Speaker 2: Would say for everybody, and looks like he's almost solidified that starting job next to Whitehead. I mean, I love his attitude. I think Solid talked about it before practice. He embodies what they want to do on defense on this team, and you just love this energy for a young second year player. Aaron Rodgers is just a widely vet. He just knows where to go with the football, play in and play out. Now, the offensive line did have some struggles. I know a lot of people saw some film from practice, but they continue to try to get better weekend and week out. They played this Saturday. We hope to see them take another step in that game. But those are some of the things that I saw. Aaron Rodgers, just knowing where to go with the football in this offense, having full command of it. The defensive line just wreaking have it, and I love what I saw from the secondary every day.
Speaker 1: Ab I feel fortunate to be able to watch Rogers because he makes a couple throws in practice that are just incredible, like today, hits Malik Teller up the sidelines despite DJ Reid having great coverage, and he's so controlled, so poised. He's a player coach on the field. What were you doing when you were bouncing around yesterday when you were taking in Jets Panthers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I think Leger hit it on the head. I mean the operation is smooth, yea yeah, and that makes everybody better, the lineman, the backs, the ball placement when it comes out out of the top of your stem, with the receiver, the tight end, and even for the defensive side to see it. They see it now, they see it real time. How quick it's going to be when you go against some of these great quarterbacks that play in the league, and is it it's significantly different than per se when any other quarterbacks in there. And that's tim en Zach. It's just a different smoothness and the fact that you know, I kind of compare it when Brady came to the Bucks. He still had to learn a verbiage and it was slower and it took time, and they didn't mess early. Here. Man, It's like the buttons are getting pushed now. Everybody's trying to catch up to him, which is good because I see him teaching everybody. I mean, the fact that the things that are glaring to me is that you get to walk through at the end of practice and he's playing putting a penny on and he's the mike backer and he's telling the D line which way to slam, which way to go, and we're who walks out as a backer. To me, that stuff is priceless, man, because as a coach, when I'm watching scout team guys do walk through, I'm yelling at them constantly because they're just not doing it right. They're not in the right spots, they're not flowing. And he has to just the wherewithal just to go out there and help the other guys, especially the second team offense. It's going to be out in the preseason game. Those little right there, they add up every single day and he's on it, and I think that's huge.
Speaker 1: How much fun do you think Rogers has happened since you came up from Florida for these two sessions. This is your first time watching him in practice in greenaw White.
Speaker 2: I think what t A just said, I mean our TB my bad really said, really embodies how Rogers has felt since he's come over to the Jets. I mean the continuity having fun with his teammates, literally putting the pennyon to be the mech linebacker pointing things out. I know you were talking about it earlier and you were the Malik Taylor throw from yesterday. There was a throw today on a boot waggle that literally, yes cj Uzama opened in the middle of the field coming down the drag route, but he threaded it and again he was rolling to his left, so for people that don't know, that's the opposite side of his arm strength, right. I believe only four quarterbacks in the league could have made this though literally was on the sideline. I think it was too if I'm not mistaken, Allen Lazard and there was nowhere to put the ball, but he put it on the money to him and then you see him giving one of these little you know, Aaron Rodgers fist pumps. It's just what he does at the quarterback. And I don't think we've ever seen here for the New York Jets, I've never seen it, right, And you know, I've been around the team. I played for ten years, followed the team ever since I retired, and it's just a breath of fresh air. I think you heard coach Albrook talk about it in the hard knocks, like, say we give up a few scores, right, say we give up some yardage, We're gonna be in the game because we have Number eight is our quarterback.
Speaker 3: He's our guy.
Speaker 2: So I think that really what embodies Aaron Rodgers and what he's meant to this team. And to Tony's point also right, it's the little things that he does, like staying after practice, talking to guys, Zach Wilson, the simple things, just taking handoffs, his footwork. If he sees something wrong, he goes and corrects it right there. Receivers after the play, if Aaron's and this is his own coverage, he's like, I want you to cut it in a little bit more. You see that right there on the field, And that's how a team briels that continuity and gets better. It's those corrections on the field.
Speaker 1: He's going short with you, Anthony, he's going tony, he's going to your TV.
Speaker 3: What do you think about. It's a lot of fat, a lot of my coach. Maybe you're coming to the dark.
Speaker 1: Side and coming to I love it. Ab. Let's talk about what Lejay was speaking to before the Jets defensive line strength and numbers, also the talent and what you saw from them up front. Because Bryce Young the number one overall pick in the twenty twenty three draft, he got a lot of great work because you're facing an elite front, and the Jets treated that like a game situation out here on Wednesday, because they weren't pads. That's the first time the starters were going against an opponent, and they're not going to be playing Saturday night against the Panthers.
Speaker 3: This is where the guys get their work, the starters. I mean, these joint practices have become kind of the peak of training camp where you get that work with your ones and everybody feels comfortable in that setting. The raps were as close to game as possible because guys don't want to look bad against other guys in the league, and they want to show off what they can do. So you know, the preseason games are what they are. It's for the younger towns, for the guys that are trying to find spots on the rosters, try to find your depth on your football team. But you're right, it is intense. It was an eye opener. I'm sure for Bryce Young you know, you talk about his offensive line, they're young and spots are trying to get some pieces there as well, and you got a veteran deep defensive line that took advantage of those situations. That's what you want. That's the consistent part about what we saw last year at this defense is you know, you knew if there was some limited areas on the offensive line for some of the teams they played, they were going to take advantage of it. And now you're talking about across the board and from behind when guys roll in, there's problems, right, So how do those offensive lines solve those problems? I just really think it's hard for five guys, sometimes guys rotating in, some guys that get hurt, that come in offensively for different teams that Jets are going to face, all these different types of players. You know, when you're when you're studying offensive lineman through the week, you're not looking at the backup cor You gotta go a little deeper with the Jets because man, you know Bryce Huff comes into the game, that's a problem. You know, you gotta and you gotta figure out how you're gonna go against that. And then a guy like Will McDonald who's a completely different type of pass rusher. You think you get your hands on him and shut him down, but can you get your hands on him correct and shut him down because he's constantly moving and getting his body in different places. So it's a challenge and it was good work against Carolina's offense.
Speaker 1: Some guys are content after getting the bag, They say, Quinn Williams four years in the National Football League, twenty five years old. I actually see the opposite out of Quentin Williams. He wants to be considered the best defense attack for a football that is his that's his next goal. And against the Panthers he was unblockable.
Speaker 3: That's the understatement of what he was.
Speaker 2: I mean, you said a lot of guys getting content once they get the bag, But it seems like it's actually motivated him more to be the next great dtackle.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: I know a lot of people have talked about Aaron Donald being maybe the greatest defensive player ever and Chris Jones maybe taking a step to be the top guy, and then Quinn's right out there. Well, I think he's taking that as a challenge this year because you can see it in the way he works at practice.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: He literally dominated that team period I was talking about started off with the sack. They're two minute Jriil first played a two minute sack. He could not be blocked one on one pass rush. They had no answers for him. So I love that that's his mindset again because a lot of guys can get a little comfortable, and Saalah actually talked about that today in this press conference right before practice, like you want to watch guys, and you know guys that get their money and get their bag, see if they get a little comfortable. But you haven't seen that from Quinn Williams. If anything, We've seen them take it up a notch. I've seen him talking to Jermaine Johnson and other d lineman when they felt like they didn't maybe run a pass RUSS game properly getting on them right there, like, all right, guys, let's come together and get this right. You've seen them take that leadership role to another level, so you have to love that if you're Joe Douglas and Robert Sala knowing that you pay the guy because he deserved it, but now he wants to take it to the next level.
Speaker 1: You are a head coach in the XFL, what are you watching when you study Robert Sala as he approaches year three and the Jets constantly in the news with the cameras one Jets drive, fantastic job in house production team. You add hard knocks into the mix. You turn on ESPN every day the Jets are being talked about. Yeah, probably twelve hours airtime.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think it starts just operation every single day, making everything smooth, make sure guys are in the right spots, guys are bouncing around. The coaching staffs understands the tempo that needs to be set every single practice. I hear you know, Keith Carter, the offensive line coach, like get off the field in between drills the offense. It's a little details that builds the culture that you want so that when that trickles down and you get to the season. It really is becoming who you are as a football team, and just you know, letting his coaches coach. You know, I think that's a tough thing sometimes our head coaches like they always want to, you know, get their hands on it and step on it. You know, I can coach my coaches off the field in the meeting rooms, all these different things we can watch from We're gonna watch all this practice all over again. So it's like there's a time let your guys do their thing, build their rapport with their players, let them gain the trust that they have to gain, and let them do their job on the field. So those are things that obviously are there and that leadership quality as far as you know, the guidance before practice, during practice, pulling a guy's side, talking to him, you know, being aware of just what's going on, how the practice is going it, is it crappy, do we shut it down? Do we bring it up? You know, those are all things you constantly have to be prepared to hit on because you don't know what that day's going to entail. But you understand everybody knows where to be and what to do and it's clean. That's what I saw in the last two days of practice.
Speaker 1: The Jets just finished a walk through at the end of Thursday's practice. There are two players on the field right now. One of them is Zach Wilson, Dirict. He'll be making a second preseason start. How important are these reps for him in the summer before he takes the spot of being Aaron Rodgers back up in the regular season starting against the Bill September eleventh.
Speaker 2: They're monumental, right, because once the season gets in, Ab, I'll say, AB this time, you know this, right, getting most of the reps. Your backup's not getting any reps barely throughout the season. So as far as game time reps, these are the best that Zach Wilson can hope for. And this is how he really betters hisself. And Robert Sala talked about this also right before practice. He felt like he Zach Wilson didn't have his best practice in the cross practice. I believe it was his first interception that he threw in a two minutes too. I know he's looking forward to answering that challenge. You always want to see how young quarterbacks bounce back after they have maybe a bad couple plays a bad practice, how they bounce back and respond in games and this will be a big testament to see Zach Wilson in his growth, right.
Speaker 3: I know he's excited to take the challenge.
Speaker 2: We saw growth in that Hall of Fame game at big completion to Malik Taylor down the sideline, look the safety off through the nine route, hit him in stride. That's what you want to see from Zach Wilson. This the little things, the fundamental and footwork in the pocket, that's where he struggled the last two years. That's the growth we want to see from Zach Wilson in this game Saturday and moving throughout the preseason.
Speaker 1: How much could he grow just from watching the operation Because you're talking about taking in practice, watching Aaron Rodgers, who essentially is a player coach. How much can he grow just watching one of the best who's ever played the game do it? And then also you want to raise your standard, but at the same time, you don't want to go out and try to be Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 3: I think it's a make or break situation for your career. When you talk about that, you know Aaron Rodgers didn't play immediately when he got drafted, he got to watch one of the great quarterbacks. And you know, regardless of what their relationship was, he picked up a lot for men on how he just handled players in the huddle, broke down a huddle, you know, after practice. Zach's got to watch all that because he has to learn how to act like a quarterback. You know, just because you're a quarterback doesn't mean you know how to do all those kind of things off the field. He's got tremendous talent. He can throw a ball anywhere on the field, all these great things, but there is more to it at the position. And you know, sometimes you just don't pick that up in college and you don't have a guy to watch to really learn from because you're thrown into the fire so quickly because you're a draft pick. Now he gets to take a step back. You got to embrace that. I think he has. This is his childhood idol, right, so you know he's he's got a chance. You know, Okay, I just saw him play, watch him on TV Soul interviews. Now he gets to have every waking moment around him. I would be literally, you know those little bags that the backpacks with the string that the kids are wearing now with the parents and yeah, yeah, that's one of those his hold on though.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean that's listen man, this is it's invaluable information. Uh. And I'm telling you it will make or break Zach Wilson's career. And we'll find out when that time comes and he gets that opportunity. And you know what, if you're the backup, you're one hit away. So you know, this team's got aspirations. You can't just shut down the season if something were to go down, So he has to be prepared.
Speaker 4: Jets fans, we're in our final push and the clock is ticking. Wind Bet is giving you a golden opportunity to win VIP prizes for the twenty twenty three season. The win Bet Green Room is the most exclusive space at the with all inclusive food and beverage, lower level seats, and appearances by Jets legends and celebrities. New Jersey customers, all you need to do is wager at least one hundred dollars on win BET's sports book or casino. For New York customers, all you need to do is wager at least one hundred dollars on win. BET's the sports book. The best part you get an entry for every one hundred dollars you wager.
Speaker 1: Oh, dudes, I don't even know what day it is as far as on the calendar. I know it's Thursday and the Jets played a second preseason game in two days. You guys are talking about quarterbacks potentially taking hits. Where is the Jets offensive line right now? What's your level concern?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I know they're confident with their interior three with McGovern, Abt and Lincoln Thompson. I think the big concern is off of the tackle and that was the concern last year. I mean, Joe Douglas did a wonderful job. You know a lot of people will get after him, but he brought four guys in and all four get here. I mean, you can't out for that as a GM when your top four offensive tackles get hurt. Right, So, and they've dealt with some injuries this year, right Dwayne Brown still hasn't been cleared and come back ready to play. I believe he's still in the publish Robert Salad said he's getting closer, So hopefully we see him in a week or two. Macay Beckton is working through it. He's actually gotten better every single day. I already liked how he came out today, and I think that's the biggest thing, right, And you can speak to this av when you're coming off of injury, right, it's about stacking the days and building that confidence in that injury.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: So for him to not have missed any time the last couple of days, that's got to be big, not only for the team, but for his psyche as a player, because there's mental hurdles you have to jump over where you're coming off an injury, and I think that's what he's working through now. Looked really good even though it was a non padded practice. The things I look for in offensive lineman is how can they bend right? Do they stop you know power again, you don't want to see guys power rushing with no pads on, but can they redirect when a guy makes a stunt move and things like that. He did that really well today. So and then you look at Max Mitchell who's just coming along. They've kind of flipped him back and forth to left tackle on right tackle. Yeah, him with Billy Turner, I think he's best suited for right tackle. You could tell he just looks more comfortable at right tackle. So there has been some growing pains right talked about building that continuity. I know Aaron Rodgers and Saliv both said this. We want to know our start in five. We want to know it sooner than later, so you can build that continuity. So everybody's on the same string. Everybody's doing the same thing. They knew they can trust their brother to the inside and the outside of them. So there's some work to be done at the offensive tackle position. But the good thing is you get to work again this Saturday against another color Jersey, and you got two more preseason games to work the kinks out before the season starts.
Speaker 1: Ab really interesting because sala was asked about Elijah Verah Tucker, who is such a valuable chess piece, and that a line never really fully recovered from losing him in Week seven last year. But Arah Tucker, we saw him play guard last year, left tackle and right tackle. He made it clear today that he's going to play his best five and the Jets love Bear Tucker at guard, and I'm sure he wants to play at right guard just because he had that sense of permanence. But he left open that door that he could go outside and play tackle.
Speaker 3: You know, I would say this, he has flexibility, and I would say after the week practice with the Bucks, if they start to utilize him there and give him some reps there, there may be Okay, we don't. We're not quite sure yet, because that's where I think the build up to get those guys prepared on the edge that whether they're not healthy yet or there's a confidence thing or you're just trying to find the right mix, I think you can take it to after the joint practice of the Bucks. That's today. I felt like, you know, look, today was a big day so to work, you know, with with Caroline and obviously the weather or at least what the weather was supposed to we didn't allow it. But you get through this weekend of games, you go through next week and then okay, like we've got three solid weeks. You know, they had the extra week with the Hall of Fame week as well, so it's given you enough time to see there's film, now there's this is what we got. You know, it ain't gonna change much till till we get to September. Like this is what they are and now You've got to start making those decisions because after Bucks week you got to start rolling or at least into those practices. You want to have a good base like these are five, we're rolling with it. If it's a disaster, then you know what, we may have to slide out and work from the inside out to get better. If you have to. Yeah, I think I think. You know with Brown coming back, he's in the right track. He's just staple. He stays healthy. And now you have three guys that can kind of operate at the right hand side, uh, with the with the safety valve, attucker, then now you're you're in good shape. So it's a build up process. Man, It's never going to look good all the time. It's just got to look good when we start the season. So once the season starts, hopefully those guys are locked in and everybody feels good about what they're doing.
Speaker 1: What are your thoughts there, Because Dwayne Brown is a workout warrior. We saw him out on the practice field, yes, Jack, but Sala was clear about there's a difference between being in shape for the gym and the beach, you know, but he's after it. But part of it, he said, the rehab has to do with the shoulder part of it's just the conditioning. He didn't want to put a timetable on it. Where are you at as far as the tackle position? And then Avt?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the thing with Avt's versatility, you can move him around.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: This guy started a left tackle, which I didn't think was gonna happen in Denver week, didn't surrender a pressure and it was dominant until he had the injury.
Speaker 3: So you have that versatility.
Speaker 2: I agree with ab here, like next week is the barometer where you need to decide what you're gonna do moving forward, Like you need two solid three weeks of that starting five to know in your head who's gonna be starting here. That way, these guys get comfortable with Aaron Rodgers and the text and also moving together because if you do got to move some chest pieces around, you want them to build that continuity with their guard on the inside.
Speaker 3: You know how important that is.
Speaker 2: You got to be able to know what your guard is thinking, especially when guys make inside moves. If you guys slide into the right, doesn't he have your back or not? So you have to implement that on the practice fields. I think what Ab said is the smartest way to approach this. After that Tampa Bay Cross practice week, you figure out, all right, this is what we have.
Speaker 3: We'll see where.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't know why I'm having a brain for Brown is at that situation. If he's ready to go, great, we leave a VT inside because I believe he can be an all pro at god, I think he could be at Pro Bowl type writer or left tackle, but I believe he's best suited to stay inside. So I believe after that week they'll make a final decision. But to a solid point with you know, Dwayne Brown, like, you can be in shape, but there's nothing like football safe and the only way to get in football shape is to go out there and practice. So he needs a solid veterancy to solid two weeks a good work to feel comfortable enough. Yeah, there's nothing like getting those practice reps. And you can speak to this. You can you can be a workout war you can look good, look apart, but it's a lot different when there's a two one hundred and sixty five pound man coming with speed to power, coming with a spin move right away, top club. You need those reps. Your body has to respond to those reps. There's a callous that you have to build up to get ready for the same.
Speaker 3: Dwayne Brown knows that. Hey, he knows like, hey, I gotta start. I gotta start being out there now, like I have to get out there wherever he's at, wherever he's feeling. He knows he's going to need it personally because he's been doing it for so long. What it's going to take his body to be there outside of just throwing medicine balls and doing all that.
Speaker 1: Everybody on offense is excited about Rogers' arrival. Well, let's talk about your position. A guy that we've seen targeted frequently the last few days of practice is c j Uzama. The Jets also have a highly athletic, I think mismatch problem at Tyler Conklin. We saw him be productive last year. They're also talking up Jeremy Rucker because he's coming off as really truly a true first professional off season. What do you think about the tight end group and also the backs coming out of the backfield, how involved they're going to be in the past game.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be huge. If you look at Nathaniel Hacketts background with the tight ends, you look at Aaron Rodgers what he did in Green Bay, You're gonna get the ball. You know, CJ has a chance to get more opportunities. Conklin clearly is going to be a guy that's going to get a lot of looks. He's a good route runner, he knows space and he's not going to be missed when the when the routes are built to get to get him the football. I do, like Rcord, I think you know, he is posing a really good threat for more playing time. You know, he can do a lot and he was at a place in college where he couldn't get as much because of the people that were around them. From from a talent standpoint, when you're talking about play action game rollouts, nakeds, that's that's huge part of what Nathaniel Hackett's going to do. And those little pop passes that it tight, they're gonna get them, and they're gonna get those over routes and they're gonna they're gonna find ways in the red zone to get on the ball. So look for the numbers collectively to really jump this year, just because a quarterback that just gets the understanding of what the value is in that position. These guys got to be on it because the ball's coming their way.
Speaker 1: He's amazing to watch as far as his ball handwings concern and what he does in the play action because still at thirty nine, he could get out on the move a little bit and he's comfortable being on the move, and you talked about that before, but just his skills with the play action game, it's really fun to watch.
Speaker 2: It's crazy, right because if you try to blitz some he knows where you're coming from, and they've had things literally and he has it built in where the tight ends, running backs, and receivers are all on one accord where they know they just turn around and stop right. He had play today on a play action pass that was just god ridiculous. I believe he was on one foot and he threw it the cj Usamata's back shoulder. Again, not too many quarterbacks making that play. Not too many quarterbacks just ciphering the blitz and then getting the ball off to get a first down. So again, it just looks like it's easy for Aaron Rodgers. That's the best way to describe it. Just knows where to go with the football, knows how to manipulate the defense.
Speaker 3: He'll let you.
Speaker 2: You'll make sure you show your hand and then it's one of the greatest ever and causing twelve men on the field or getting a defensive jump off side. And I think that's an added thing to the Jets offense out of people aren't talking about enough, right, that's a free five yards. You want to stay ahead of the sticks, getting people to jump off side, and then getting twelve men on the field with substitution issues. Aaron Rodgers is the best in the league of doing that.
Speaker 1: Ab We saw that today out here on the practice field where Hackett was yelling at the opposite s eye line to the defense, get off the field, get off the field, because you saw Rogers run up under center and get ready. You never know when he's gonna take a snap. And also like yesterday, I saw him line up in the gun. He waited and he waited. Then one of the Carolina edge rushers that came up, then he changes goes right under center. It totally changes the place. So it's for him. Everything out here is chess. He's a chess player, and everybody else is trying to catch jump because they're playing checkers.
Speaker 3: That's what the quarterback you're supposed to do. Quite frankly, I mean, when you were playing in the league and you were starting quality quarterback, you need to be doing that stuff. I mean, if you're not, then the defenses are smarter. Now they're better. They got better athletes. You don't have a lot more. You know, the time is less with the speed that's out there. Your decision process, you have to have it made at the line of scrimmage before the snap goes off. And then in that instance when you got to make that quick second tier decision, it just happens. But you already know because your your preset, your film study. You know, guy's covering up a nickel. He may come all those variations are so fast and having it's the toughest pause. I mean, listen, it's not it's not for everybody, right, So he does it at the highest level, and it's going to show up this year. We're gonna be like wow, like you know, there's like you said, not too many guys can do that. And then but that's what that's the experienced thirty nine. He's played it so long, he learned from one of the greatest, and now it's just it's it's easy. There's it almost looks like he's arrogant when he does it. It's just he knows, he gets it's a it's a confidence because of the everything he's done in his career and it pays off every single day for him.
Speaker 1: It's interesting the choice of words there as far as arrogant, it's it's just I know what you're saying, though, because it never looks like he's hurried. There's never he doesn't look like there's a sense of urgency because it comes so easy to him. He knows it inside and out. It's like, yeah, he's never gonna press never.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just confidence in this offense.
Speaker 2: And Anthony was talking about this earlier, right, It's it's one thing when like Brady leaves and goes to Tampa has to learn the whole new offense under Bruce arians But this guy has been in this offense, won two MVPs in this offense, so it's kind of like he picked up where he left off when he was with Green Bay as far as knowing all the nuances to the offense and how to make certain checks and again how to manipulate the defense, how to get them to jump off side, how to get them twelve men on the field.
Speaker 3: Again, It's just he has.
Speaker 2: Supreme confidence when he's out there and you can see it. He knows where each person is supposed to be, not just on offense, he knows what the defenders were supposed to be. So you love to have that as an etch a quarterback position, a guy that knows exactly what he's doing play in and play out.
Speaker 3: As a player in the huddle, when you're seeing this, it gives me a sense of calmness. I played different because I'm not worried about like, oh, here comes my play. Is he gonna look at me like you know, if you're the option in practice or it was built for you, like if you get you're getting the ball, you know, Like that's that's a feeling for linemen and receivers and tight ends and running backs. Man. And then he's also a guy like bam running backs not quite Hey, she can change it, you go to the flat or hook over whatever that may be. It just it opens up so much, man. It's it's just a fortunate, uh situation for this team to be in right now to have a guy that can do that. And I'm telling you from day one. You're the first game. It's gonna show up and it's gonna be fun to see.
Speaker 1: It's watching every day one of the greatest conductors of all time. Okay, so quick thoughts before we get out of here. What have you seen from Jermae Johnson? Because Carl Austin did not make the trip trip, got some back tightness, so he's back in flooring park. But they're also very encouraged about Johnson so far. Early in camp. What did you see from him against the Panthers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean he had a wicked spin movie that I know it wasn't versus the Panthers, but he had one on Max Mitchell that was nasty.
Speaker 3: But you've seen the growth in thecension from Jamaine.
Speaker 2: Johnson always played with a lot of effort and energy and you see that out on the field. We saw him get into it with Hayden Hurst to tie end yesterday. But that's what he's been in this whole camp. Right, He's been the energy grabber of the defensive line. So we've seen him take that jump. We've seen him become more concise in this past rush moves, which I really like. Right, he's been more open to using different moves. The spin move has come out, the chop club has come out, and we've just seen that growth. He's always been a physical player, right, That's what he was at Florida State. A lot of people didn't talk about that in the run game, but to me, he was the best run defender out of all the edge guys last year.
Speaker 3: And you see that on tape as well.
Speaker 2: So you see him taking that extension, especially with Carl Lawston out for a little bit right now, it's good to see him get in there with the mixed with Quinn Williams at JFM. Yeah, getting that continuity with those guys because we know this defensive line likes to rotate. But I I specifically want to watch your main Master because I believe he's gonna get an uptick in playtime where last year he's about thirty percent. I would not be surprised if he placed forty to forty percent of the stats defense.
Speaker 3: It's just one thing, I know. It's just he changed his body. Yeah, he's more. He looks more flexible. He seemed a little tight last year. You know, he just he didn't know how to work his body trees by now he got a year under his belt. He watched other guys. Carl Lawson by you know, taught him a lot of stuff on how you know, Oh yeah, right he lost. Now it's really kind of translate on Sunday.
Speaker 1: All right, So, and I do want to remind people when they analyze Jets Panthers joint practices that saw us Gardner. I think he had some quad tightness. So he did not practice against Carolina. Garrett Wilson coming off the ankle, he did not practice against the Panthers. What I like what Rogers did today? Second play a team. Oh seventeen's back, here you go, I get right involved. And then the other guy it was a monsterpiece for this team. Who will find out more in the weeks ahead is Brice Hall. I mean, so those are three monster pieces. And those guys, if they're not stars, are ready they're gonna be stars in the National Football League. Well, I you know, the two of those guys.
Speaker 3: You can count on a cyclone.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm glad that you brought up that Garret wilsonay, because it was like, even though Garrett Wilson's missed the last couple of practices, it was like there was no drop off between him and Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 3: They just in sync.
Speaker 2: It's crazy to think that they've only been together with about five months, five and.
Speaker 3: A half months.
Speaker 2: Because he knew exactly where to set up in his own right there, and Aaron Rodgers hit him right in between the numbers. And again we talked about this earlier. Rogers will correct players after plays like I want you to just cut in a little bit more. Didn't have to do that with Garret Wilson. He knew exactly where to set up, and that's reps on the field. That's the only way you can get that continuity. So I would not be surprised if Garrett Wilson and you can clip this goes over fifteen hundred yards this.
Speaker 1: Year that I was there a long time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is just the I really do expect gaudy numbers. He's that good last year. I he's good. Now he did it with four different quarterbacks. He's got Aaron Rodgers. Now Aaron Rodgers gonna feed him the rock. He's he's gonna break all kinds of records around here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, this was fun. Fellas really enjoyed it. And Uh, the lasting image I'll have from joint practices, not just Rogers and everything we saw from the defensive line, but saw us Gardner not practiced against Carolina, and he gets some good work in for Brandon Eckles and Brandon Eckles had a pick six against the number one overall pick and the drafts. So good work for the Jets even though they weren't able to get that second day of practice in with the Panthers. We'll see what happens Saturday night. Great seeing you guys.
Speaker 3: Thank you