Speaker 1: Speaks to the planet.
Speaker 2: I go by the name of Charlamagne of God and guess what. I can't wait to see y'all at the third annual Black Effect Podcast Festival. That's right, We're coming back to Atlanta, Georgia, Saturday, April twenty six at Poeman Yards and it's hosted by none other than Decisions, Decisions, Mandy B and Weezy. Okay, we got the R and B Money podcast. We're taking Jay Valentine. We got the Woman of All podcasts with Sarah Jake Roberts. We got Good Mom's Bad Choices. Carrie Champion will be there with her next sports podcast and the Trap Nerds podcast, with more to be announced. And of course it's bigger than podcasts. We're bringing the Black Effect marketplace with black owned businesses, plus the food truck court to keep you fed while you visit us. All right, listen, you don't want to miss this. Tap in and grab your tickets now at Black Effect dot Com Flash Podcast Festival.
Speaker 1: R and B Money, we.
Speaker 3: Second take balance out. We are the authority on.
Speaker 2: R and.
Speaker 3: Ladies and gentlemen, my name is Tank and this is the R and B Money Podcast, the.
Speaker 1: Authority on all things R and B better, nothing's happened.
Speaker 4: I'm talking real gifts from the trenches, musicianship, songwriting education.
Speaker 1: I love it. Facilities what you're doing to give.
Speaker 3: Back from the mud, Hm, I'm talking about the world, Craig. Yes, do this ship from the hood to the world one.
Speaker 1: Of the coldest right now? Yes, right now? Brands fit. Yeah, Hey, nigga time, Bro.
Speaker 3: You know what it is like? You know, it's like when you see like when you see like when you see niggas is.
Speaker 1: Like from where you're from.
Speaker 3: Like that type of soil and you see them not only take it to a level of being successful, but then taking that success and figuring out a way to be impactful.
Speaker 1: That's different.
Speaker 3: Like we can rest on a lot of people's success that have come from where we come from, right, but the ability and idea to say, okay, let's not just stop here at us, let's give it back that right there, My brother is commendable and absolutely impressive.
Speaker 1: Thank you, bro.
Speaker 3: And I haven't been down there to the teacher class yet, but I would love to. Everything that's said on tape is binding. We hold a nigga to that along. But like seeing what you what you guys have built again not only on the success, but on the on the premise of giving the academy.
Speaker 1: Academy.
Speaker 3: Ye take before we do the deep dive, give me the thought process of not just stopping at your success but then saying, what can we do with this?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 5: Bro Well, we lived crazy life being from l a like really being from the trenches, from like the streets to the church to educational world. So I've literally been able to be around every single type of emotion to know how to make to get everyone to their higher self through whatever I can do, you know what I mean. So even with the school man, I was literally me and James built the curriculum off of all the bitch azz niggas we've dealt with in the music business. So literally, every time it was a problem where it was if it was a studio session where I would say somebody was playing the headphones too loud, why someone's trying to talk, I'm like, oh, yeah, he's fucking up. He'll never come back here. So what we'll do is go to the curriculum and put that in the curriculum. So every everything that we hate about everything in the music business, and with the solution though, so you know what I mean. And we literally worked on that for literally three four years straight before we had a school. And that was one of the parts of the manifestation because when people was asking me, I would just say, yo, I got to school. They say, yo, how are you been working on your music. I was like, yeah, I'm working on the school. So then I got one hundred people that now is talking about our school that we haven't built yet. So now I got one hundred more people that that's bringing their resources from our school. So that was literally, you know, the just word of mouth and just speaking into an existence, speaking it to an existence. It really was really the trick, but it really came off of us dealing with you know, me and James, we've been through literally the trenches in every type of way from from the streets to the music business. So we just wanted to be at a blueprint to really show the culture. Yo, don't go this way, go this way. You know, they're they're training us to be unemployed well employees. So our school teaches you how to be an unemployable nigga to where you can license our thoughts. Before you to get to that point, you got to understand the behavior, the brand laws, how to how to deal with assholes, how not to react to people, how to get into the minds of the hearts and the minds of the consumers through words and through body language. And it's all these secrets to make at the end of the day, to be a service that makes people feel good and to get them closer to God. That's the whole point. But through with the school is you're just getting so much swag because ninety percent of the teachers are famous. You know, we had everybody from Nipsey rest in Peace one of our first teachers, from Kendred to Justin the Bruno, the you know, heads of fortune, five hundred companies from tech, fashion, field, music, and sports. You know, I'm I'm on the board of a company company called Boat that's evaluated fourteen billion dollars right now. So the last two years I had to learn everything about RSU, stock offs, four or nine a's vestings, quorums, Delaware laws. So now it's like we're taking that and showing the culture. It's just how it's hit words and phrase that pays the music. There's phrase that pays us to get becoming tax writeoffs for billionaires and how to get in the hearts and minds of the consumer through words. And that's that's really what I'm on now and content building, our content Academy, because it's we're just in the future. We have like the New Disney and Inglewood by the way, you gotta come by. It's pretty New.
Speaker 1: Disney in Inglewood, the Disney.
Speaker 5: It ain't sound Academy.
Speaker 3: I just wanted to say it a third time. Three is powerful.
Speaker 5: Serious, it's just unbelieva. You got to see it. We partner with this company called we Play where their Ukrainian company where they came out here. They do like American they do all the biggest shows, but they came out here and just believing they was either gonna go fight the war or come here. They landed and playing Delray met them guys. They do. They got the craziest screen or where you can do the Mandalorian the Doom movie motion capture vr AI. I mean ar to where like you could do a podcast and I can be talking to a cartoon next to me in motion capture. Like that's the next R and B money for the future, you know what I mean. So like it's unheard of it's really Disney at the highest level where the business model we're changing everything from modern day slavery. We're not doing it. We're changing the models. People are going to own the ship and you know, we're just we're just creating the right models for people to really get to their higher self.
Speaker 1: Because it's too.
Speaker 5: Many niggas signed w knis Man. We employees, we need stock options, and you gotta know about that ship too.
Speaker 3: You know, we gotta we gotta take this journey, bro, We gotta take this journey from from the streets to the future. Because everything you just said is the future, well it's the future. And for a lot of people it was French.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, yeah, you just you spoke. You just spoke another language you're.
Speaker 3: Talking and the fact that you're willing to take the time to break that language down to teach people what that is, and and the work that you're doing to make sure you understand.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, if you can't teach, you you don't know it.
Speaker 3: You gotta know the teacher like you're you're in it, you're immersed in it. So we gotta we got to figure out how we get from from the hood to fourteen dollar. People take me, take me, take me to the beginning rants like like little rants like what is what is?
Speaker 1: What is?
Speaker 3: Little RNTs thinking what what? What part is?
Speaker 1: Did you from?
Speaker 5: I'm from Los Angeles, one of ras from LA. But my family is from Chicago, whole family of Chicago. My dad was in a group singing group that was signed to the Delphonics, So they came out here, you know, wanting to be yeah the dream. I'm glad he did because I was probably with a show for Vice Lord, the GV with they came out here. My whole family, with my sister and uh I was. I was raised right on like Western Adams twenty fourth Street school, so I did you know, the whole LA thing. And from there we always was the first day in me, first in me was our home church. So that's kind of where I really start getting into like the church music too, because you know, my dad played at piano. My whole family is like the Black Manhattan Transfer. If y'all don't know man Man Transfer is, look him up, you know, you know. So it's like, so I had to learn all the mold town. I had to learn everything about music from my family. And then we were the family in a complex. It was called the complex. It's in a hood where everybody just lived. But we were like the only family where I had a mom and a dad. So everybody came in our house for food, for birthdays, every day. We played the piano, sing and I'm talking, but we did neverhood. Yeah, this is when babies as kids. My sister, My sister was in a gospel group called Repent and Shep Crawford and my brother all the group together. Even mine to Jordan, I don't know if you know, but he was in a group called Protege. He did this is how we do it. They was all in the group together. So like my I was raised off of just church, you know, playing at church and being in the hood. So it was it was either kind of yeah yeah, but yeah, so I mean from that from even me, you know, I had I joined a church fraternity that changed my life too. It's called Juice Fire Christ.
Speaker 1: But we I'm in a Christian fraternity.
Speaker 5: Really, you know your Greek alphabets of course, yeah, come on. So we had to go through like I got pledged. We had to learn everything about God and.
Speaker 3: The full line. We were the first line. We were the first line. I'm number two, I'm number five. Okay, this is another like yeah, uh, Fraternity and Incorporated.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to tell you what it really is crips.
Speaker 5: Like that. I mean, honestly, we was pledged by wasps exactly.
Speaker 3: I was in Maryland, so so it was it was Cappus, it was it was uh, it was Omegas and it was it was it was Cues and it was Alpha.
Speaker 5: That's crazy.
Speaker 3: So we our line incorporated. We used to go around the city. We used to go around the city stumping at all the church events.
Speaker 7: Have to battle you know, wait, wait, wait, that's something that nobody knows about, like you dogs like bro.
Speaker 1: That I can't be doing that stuff because I'm not part of it.
Speaker 3: But like all of that was the shimmy that the Caps got all of it because we had we were we were a collection of all of those guys who were who were you know, church guys whould save guys and wanted to start something for the church. And that's what we're product of.
Speaker 5: That's crazy.
Speaker 3: I still got friend that I go back home. We still hit the shake and do the whole thing. I've known you this whole time. I didn't know this. You didn't believe me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't dispect you. I just think.
Speaker 5: I dispected you.
Speaker 1: Oh my brother.
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, I seen it. Yeah. So other than that, we.
Speaker 1: Was am I too old to join? No?
Speaker 5: But yeah, we were literally a church band. So we was the band at church and your family, well, my family was always singing in church, you know what I mean. But my sister Sharen was and talking. My brother law Tony was like the real ones that was had us really in the church scene and Tony Tony yeah yeah, but uh then from there, I always wanted to have our own bed, you know what I mean. So do you know we got our name? No, all right, I get yah short story, then I'll tell you about James because it's the whole Okay, okay, but we got our name by them. We're a church band. We was playing for, uh, Bobby Valentino. We did a church convention with Bobby Valentino right when he did that slow down song. And at that time, it was broke as fuck and we were doing all these rehearsals for free, and then him and it was man at Japun was like, yo, we were doing this death jam show and we need you all to help us get our deal. I'm like, look, nigga, we broke like you gotta us fifteen hundred and nothing. And he was like, all right, well, what's the name of your band? We was like fift what he was? You know, from there we started a musical game. Everybody had to you know, we was we had to play every instrument. Everybody was their own voltron. But you have to be a cold nigga and you couldn't be a buster, just like mob rules. Like it's real family rules, like you can't do no and if you do it, God's So you were just saying nigga fifteen hundred or nothing, showing we ain't doing nothing family the family.
Speaker 3: And then he was like all right, but then what's going to be the name? You was really just standing on fifteen. I don't want to get past this conversation. Nigga fifteen hundred and nothing.
Speaker 1: What you're doing?
Speaker 5: We neat that bread.
Speaker 1: It was part of the negotiation.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And that was the first time and the only time James foul Roy, it's a whole, it's a host.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, So is James in the band at this time?
Speaker 5: So James, So, James was the fifteen hundred. I met James battle rapping at West Angeles. He murdered somebody and I was like, wow, who's this guy? Ok at the church battle rapping like the church at church outside but murdering somebody.
Speaker 3: Church battle rapping or or no, no outside, It don't matter where you're at in the church, in the basement.
Speaker 1: He go.
Speaker 5: But James on even have to That's like I've seen James. We used to have stink caught the pit where James battle rapp. I mean it was like disaster and all these real battle rappers and James won. I was there, no cap work it up.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to fight.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's that's a cheatcough bro. He's literally one of the craze out there alive. And then he just happened to listen to Kim Barell.
Speaker 3: And then everything come on now changes everything all the time.
Speaker 6: So when you when you meet him at West Angeles, what's the first move for you.
Speaker 5: Met him a couple of times, but we had it took a couple other times for us to get really cool. So I met him at church. We uh, he was battle rapping. I was like, yo, man, you got to be a part of our bend fifteen hundred, you know, come on rehearsal Cool came. But before that we met him. Uh, it was it was a long story, but it end up being a shootout in north Ridge with a bunch of our friends and there was a bunch of crazy stuff that happen. So we're literally on the street handcuffed because our car is in the middle of the shootout, and I'm just like, this is we gotta do some we gotta do.
Speaker 1: We gotta.
Speaker 3: Are y'all on the opposite side, on the same We're on the same side.
Speaker 5: We came together. But at that time I was, you know, I'm from l A. So I was you know, I was outside that was in the mix and I just happened to bring him and bam, my German dish what you got to something that was in the mix? But James is a Jameson.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but Scaredgas was just scared.
Speaker 5: But I shouldn't have been there, and we was thinking about that when we were sitting outside for four hours and four hours, bro, I can't even get my car to the next day.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 5: It was a real shoot It was a shootout like it was. This is a true story and after that, we decided this was stupid and uh he came to rehearsal for by Valentino, but he ended up being so good at rehearsal. Can't cap guys like they in the fire and James, James got They tried to fire James because we was a rehearsal and you know, after our rehearsals, we the band, we can't wait to just play our you know, the attention got it was tricky. So that's the only time I've seen James get fire. And after that he has been the richest nigga I know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, fire up.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Unemployable what yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I never knew that could be a thing.
Speaker 6: And being too good on the male side, well no, you know why that you you believe that though, or why it's it's a reality for you because you came in the game with someone like genuine genu Wine don't have he don't he he loves to promote right like frecking red now cold bloody like they sang it.
Speaker 1: He won't he wanted. Everybody don't want to smoke on stage? Yeah, smoke, That's the only way it works.
Speaker 3: You gotta be you gotta you gotta look at the side and behind.
Speaker 6: That's what's niggas have. Luther Vandrois singing background, right, want.
Speaker 3: Something gotta make something gott to push you, ye.
Speaker 1: Mark, but Rih Carey sang background for people.
Speaker 3: Something gotta make you want to chop Like that's the only way, that's the only.
Speaker 1: Way you get better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and have real moments is to have them real motherfuckers on stage.
Speaker 6: Me and you both had, uh you've had Lonnie singing background.
Speaker 1: We both had Luke James singing background the Goat And when.
Speaker 6: He sang background for Tank and when he sang back from the background for me, we found a space like, hey, man, go ahead, you.
Speaker 1: Go crazy crazy.
Speaker 5: That's what you.
Speaker 3: Supposed to that, bro, because you got to think about like like when I saw your Earth, I was like, man, I loved I love to see.
Speaker 1: My nigga shine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love it, no matter how distant the communication. Nigga, I see it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I'm like, they cooking, they cooking.
Speaker 3: When I'm on the road, I talk about it. Yeah, but you don't know about fifty hundred Jim niggas, stim niggas doing it. They got everything. They're doing everything.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying, Okay, James goes crazy. He's doing the thing now he's you know. But then finally you guys are fifteen hundred and nothing right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're fifteen hundred. And then the first person I guess the opportunity was Snoop. He actually was Teddy Riley. I guess Tedy Rally. So this time James was brother's fuck and we had I had a session with Teddy Riley. But James Carr something happened with was raining and he liked the keys.
Speaker 3: In the car.
Speaker 5: So I was like, yo, it just come to me. So he calls to me the record one of them studio I leave studio that he got now that used to be Teddy's and uh, I'm like, yeah, just say you my cousin, Nigga, you my cousin. So I walk in there and tell you my cousin. Line was actually there and this was a song we did call I Know You Remember Me that James wrote, and we were in the studio Mars Mars there doing the beat and he just was playing to beat. Teddy just walked in and said, I know you remember me, and then James James just finished the song. I don't know, got it? Why don't you Chris Staali and see and they it was it got crazy and then I was like the introduction of like Teddy Riley realizing he's seeing James was gonna be a genius in the beginning though, like all these niggas had a contract us. It just couldn't do it. It was crazy, crazy.
Speaker 1: Because so how were y'all avoiding the contracts? We were just because you're still getting work.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the thing is we I think if we were like only working with one person, that could have we could have robably made a desperate decision, you know what I mean. But the fact that like I'm working with Teddy, I'm working with Snoop were teenagers. I'm seventeen. I got my first hit like some out and I was like seventeen eighteen, you know what I mean. So we was always moving and the fact that we're everybody's band, that was that was what she called too. So it's like if the production slow, I'm on tour, and I'm only going on tour to be close with the artists and to meet the person that pays them after the show. So now I'm just building on my relationships with all the owners, all the promoters, all the club people, all the people that got the weed, you know, like I'm literally soft.
Speaker 1: Who gave you that insight? Though?
Speaker 6: With coming from a situation where your father had already been in the music business and like you said, had already they was rocking with the del Phonics back in the day. Had he given you some of this information already? Or were you just winging it?
Speaker 3: I mean because you because it feels very well, No, it's very I was because I was going to ask you in this in the same spirit of that question. It feels very nissan and rapture.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Oh it was stuck, bro. They you gotta realized that them niggas could have signed us at one point. I wouldn't warn the signs that we was. We were young and just looking at with money pulling up with playing the church and having a song on the radio.
Speaker 1: I had example.
Speaker 5: That's we had example. So we so I was just like, Okay. One thing I do realize is that musicians are They don't treat musicians like they should because we're like some of the smartest people on the show that brings the show, from background singers to dancers that don't get respected the most. So I always wanted to be the most expensive band in the world. So I we're the most expensive band in the world. So if it's no, it's okay, you know what I mean, because we're not for everybody. We're in a choir taste. It's not just regular musicians. It's producers that understands space at the highest level, which is a cheeko that only comes from God and practice. So it just sounds different.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, so you know, because that's like so my first band was was Rapture. It's the empty Craig Nissan, Charlie, what's my base?
Speaker 5: Eric is not Dante? Come on, that's the game, bro come on.
Speaker 3: So their their take on it was different one because they were doing some of my records. Producers some of our records of course, but then they're all producers, right and that's of course the Chico and so every band and I've had, even to my band, I had all producers and singers.
Speaker 1: Yea, writers.
Speaker 3: Writers understand it.
Speaker 5: The less fingers you use, the more money you make. Okay, depending on what genre they watch. The least words you say is the more impactful you will be. If you say the right four words with the right tone and if you and if you can believe it. So that's that's the secret, man, just but understanding all the rules to break them.
Speaker 1: Though.
Speaker 5: Don't don't think niggas can't play all their fingers and play jazz and do everything. But it's like when you try to make human behavior songs where you're talking to the subconscious mind. When we're just talking and we're hearing a beat and we're doing this not even realizing it. That's what we're doing music for it. We're talking to the sub conscious. So it's like, you gotta stay in shape.
Speaker 1: Are you really a teacher? Man? Teacher? You don't the only person I know what an academy.
Speaker 3: I don't know know know.
Speaker 5: You know you got the academy.
Speaker 1: I don't have an academy. No no, no no.
Speaker 3: I ain't gonna respect it. Where your academy, nigga building. Know your tone, that's the academy tone you don't have. First, First of all, it's the sounding all the words you said, I'm gonna take it.
Speaker 1: This disrespect the greatest, the greatest thing.
Speaker 3: So you saying you said your first hit record seventeen eighteen, Yeah, yeah, I mean, what what record was that ship?
Speaker 5: Well, we did. I think our first song. My first placement ever was by Valentino album Gangster Love and I was seventy swift from Mars. We were, Yeah, I was. Actually my first album was my first place was Keith Murray. Keith murdyrries out shout out to Terras Terre's a whole nother story of how he changed my life too. That's my nigga in real life where I was this driver and I got on Snoop Dogg. Broa wait, wait, wait, Yeah, I have a driver for the last thirteen years, but I was tears driver. Let's be clear.
Speaker 1: He was Terrrist driver.
Speaker 5: Yeah, man, I was tears driver at the time. Man, he had a low case and rive and he asked me. He was like, yo, I gotta do this show. You know, the keyboard player might not show up, but I need a rise and landcaster. I was just like, all right. For Snoop, He's like, you know, I might get you on the gig, but I ain't guaranteed, so I'm like, fuck it, I'm going. I listened to Snoop. You know, I grew up off of this meet, so I knew that shit anyway, So keyboard player, I'm waiting twenty minutes, twenty minutes, the keyboard playing showing up. It's six keyboards with thousands of people, right, and then terrors like, yo, you're gonna play. I'm like, fuck it. Murder was a case. Come on, I didn't know Snoop, nobody didn't even meet him yet.
Speaker 1: Nah.
Speaker 5: No, literally, I'm playing the keys. I played murderly case. I felt like I was I felt like I helped produce the song. I was so in it, bro and I was dazzing. I was krip walking on stage. Nigga, you know you can smoke on stage at that time, I mean, I just felt too comfortable. Then right after that, Snoop asked me to go on tour. And that's say at any point during the show though, the Snoop looked back, look back exactly because I was turned. You couldn't brow eighteen Snoop Dogg. I left West l A. I went to to go to college for too much. But I was smart than my teacher. He did music and he was asking me for the answers, so I knew that wasn't it. The tears gave me that call to be the driver man and that that had me lit. Did three I got three field passports from touring. I just starting office that night off that night just literally.
Speaker 3: But you were wow, but you were ready though I was ready.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: That's the part that I.
Speaker 6: Don't want to skip over, right, you didn't get up there and nah.
Speaker 3: You you were ready.
Speaker 5: But terrors put me in unto like, I mean to the points of where it was nothing. But you know gang bangers and OG's around Snoop that, don't you know you have to know them niggas. So I'm over here like just standing up with tears, like, no, this is my nigga. He could you know, he looked out so ever since then then he was my nigga error for then. But then I want to be a producer. So I was going over his house. I seen him make a beat for Snoop in like fifteen minutes, him and my homie Marlin mar Doogg. And then that next week I was at first day in church with him and he showed me a fifteen thousand dollars check from the same beat I just seen him do. I was like, Okay, I made my final decision of what the fuck I want to do? Take me the guitar center. My dad took me right this shit had him spot the keyboard player comes, look, show you how to put it this in p And after that I was out of here.
Speaker 3: Bro Which which guitar centate did you go to? Now?
Speaker 5: We went to sam Ash want to Guitar and Harthorpe?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, yeah?
Speaker 5: And it was over after that.
Speaker 3: You can stop me at that? At what age is this?
Speaker 1: I was?
Speaker 5: That was the has been like seventy eighteen.
Speaker 3: At that age, a trip to sam Ash or guitar center is like it's like going to musical heaven, music lost, and not just going in there because we would go. We would We had this place out in Maryland called Chuck Levin's and all these places where we would go and just as musicians, we would shed in the store.
Speaker 5: Yes though, oh I ain't gonna lie.
Speaker 1: I was just you know, you know how I like to shop anyway.
Speaker 3: I just like to buy. We couldn't afford none, couldn't afford.
Speaker 1: That ship I never went into. I could afford it.
Speaker 3: Shed being a busting their drums and ship.
Speaker 5: I don't think I ever bought none from there. I shedding my whole life, literally, I used to have my cars, put the keyboards in, make my samples, take it out.
Speaker 1: It was hey.
Speaker 3: And then when you finally get a bag enough to go and hold, I gotta say this shout out to my to to Cliff and Jerry. I'm not gonna I'm not gonna say how these things were purchased.
Speaker 1: The street.
Speaker 3: I'm just gonna say they took me to get what you need to sam ash it and got me the pieces that I needed to be great. And that day, my mom's got me the first keyboard, the PEV that taught me everything on my little nine tracks because I had to figure out how to do everything on just nine tracks. That's where the creativity kicks in. But then at NPC comes home and that x P eighty comes home with it.
Speaker 1: Your world opened up.
Speaker 3: And that and then Mackie board thirty two channels comes home with it. Oh, it's time to work. It's time to work life changing. You couldn't get me out of that unfinished basement, bro bro Like. Think about the hours that you put in with that, with that first set of equipment that you had.
Speaker 5: No you forget to eat biggawaa.
Speaker 1: This is nigga, nigga nigga.
Speaker 3: I was one hundred and forty five pounds. I would wake up, get here's something to get right on it. I'm thinking, I'm working on this for a couple hours. Nigga is nine at night now. Because you was in your mama basement too, right, I was first. I was in my mama's I was in my room upstairs, in my room.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: Then when we moved to the other house, I was in the basement from for myself. Finished dust everywhere everywhere, but I had to have it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's people, people that don't understand music. You know, it can fuck of families, relationship. It is like it's like but you but you know, my big bodies always say either the weather reporter or the weather changing, either the person signing W nine or you're the person that's controlling the culture somebody made where we're sitting on or we're going to.
Speaker 1: Sit on it.
Speaker 5: So it's like, you know, and but it takes sacrifice. It takes that lost time that you forget about.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 3: It's the it's the producer Michael Jackson, It's the Quincy Jones effect.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 3: We talk about it all the time. Yea, where Quincy was so dedicated to the craft, like the way his his type of dedication. It costs you things on the outside of Yeah, and when you said families and stuff like that, anybody that's great in this, if that's connected to your story.
Speaker 1: But you also and this.
Speaker 6: Is not even in the legal, uh you know, term of it, but you have to marry understanding. Everybody that is connected to you has to have understanding of what you are and who you are as a creative.
Speaker 1: They can't be around you because they will dim your life.
Speaker 6: They will, they will, they will stifle, they will stifle the create creativity.
Speaker 1: They will take away from who you were put here to be.
Speaker 5: M hmm.
Speaker 6: And some people don't understand that, and that's fine. Don't come around us. Just leave me alone.
Speaker 1: I know, I look like a shiny toy. It's cool.
Speaker 6: You want hang out, you think it's gonna be fun, and then you're gonna realize, like, oh, this guy has a mission and a purpose and I'm going to need to write some songs and then I'm gonna need to write a book, and then I'm going to need to go.
Speaker 1: Fill my podcast with my best friend, and then we're gonna have to.
Speaker 3: Go to go do some shows and then and then it continues, it continues.
Speaker 1: But he said in the movie and then then.
Speaker 5: And then, hey, you're talking a ship, bro.
Speaker 1: But the it's the real brother.
Speaker 6: I think that people from the outside, especially if they don't fully understand what this thing is and what it takes to be truly successful in this thing, that maybe one percent, maybe if we're gonna if we're gonna be generous, we could say three percent actually get to really reach an apex and get to and get to a pinnacle in a space that is really successful for them and they don't have to do anything else with their life but what they love to do.
Speaker 1: There are not many creatives that get to do that.
Speaker 5: I've never said this. I don't really tell too many people this, but I really feel like God has me on earth to give of course, give people to their higher self, and he gives people like us. That's a light all this swag ship we don't care about, like durry and dimes and all this type of ship to attract the people that needs to hear what the fuck we gotta say, and just just being examples of how tight God is. So that's literally what we're here for.
Speaker 3: But that that's fire because people don't. When I was growing up in church, it was you want like one thing we should try to preach my my pastor Tyrone Petty. It is like now it's cool to do this, Like now you're supposed to have a good time. Nah, you're supposed to eat the finest food. You're supposed to want a nice car. You're supposed to And that has always been my mindset for representing the higher up. I mean, if we talk a streaks of Golden I Mansions and Karen On and he talking about he came so I can live life and life more abundantly.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: I need that abundance him. Yeah, I need to and let people know that it is attainable this way too.
Speaker 5: It really works.
Speaker 3: It's attainable this way too. You can get it the right way.
Speaker 6: That's something he said earlier that I would love to expound on. We can do this without being a bitch ass nigga.
Speaker 1: You're right.
Speaker 5: A bitch azz nigga to me is someone who's selfish that only things about their selves because you get what you give. Bro. You gotta like my intention every day. People don't know this, but like I wake up every day thinking about how much money I can make everybody around me. That's how it works. You spoke. Most people think about their selves. But it's like, you know, you can all make money doing this. You got to be outside. You got to make one with people that don't look like but what but what is your service? You got to just be a service. The trick is just having one up on everybody as far as being a service. Either I gave you some advice, gave some we gave your free beat, gave you a free drove you to yep. But it just comes along with Brandon like because when when you're when your brand, when you leave the room, your brand stays. So it's like, what was the experience I gave you? You know? And that's that's how it just keeps going.
Speaker 3: You're investing, You're constantly investing. My fresh relationship is nuts. That is what you're giving is And I don't ask for much.
Speaker 5: I just do. I just asked once to hear other than that, I'm a service. I'm on deck. I'll do.
Speaker 3: But the return is organic because because the whether whether the person or the universe one way or another, that's going to come back to you.
Speaker 1: Man, tell us, tell us about fifteen hundred because we we try to make it every year. We al.
Speaker 3: So, I was coming back from Atlanta and I was like, and I was like, I don't want to commit to it because I don't know how I'm gonna be after Atlanta because I'm getting smoke. Smoke kills me, especially in a low, a low a ceiling environment. And I knew it as soon as I walked into club, as soon as I'm still on the top rope, so that's still everything started burning. And I got a commitment to sing two or three songs. I mean, I can feel it during those songs. By the time I get the song three, I'm cooked. There's no way I would have been able to do that show, not the way I wanted to do it, especially my first time being there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, tell us about it though, I mean, we listen, this is this is something that you set up. This is an institution. We know that you're gonna have it. We're going to going to be there. Tell us about it, though, man, and the people about it. About this thing that you do once a year in honor of your company.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, we had our twenty year anniversary for fifteen hundred, twenty years man, for all the service.
Speaker 1: I've been together for twenty years.
Speaker 5: Yeah, twenty years. Man. We know so many people we lost to shout out to right, Uncle Chuck, Carlos, rest In Peach, g I, nib Moms, like all these are people in fifteen hundred hours A major part that even when they left, gave me the superpowers to keep going, you know what I mean. So that's it's it's a special day, but it's really a celebration. Shout out to the city of Los Angeles actually gave us on holiday five years ago and sore and it was just for all the hard work that we've done for the community and just you know what we've done. And like last year we had at the Sound Academy where you know, Dave Chappelle got on the mic, Angela Baskett, Tasha Smith. We had every year we have thirty or thirty artists performed, so it's a baby festivals from twelve to twelve in the beginning, it's like we had this year. We had all of our students, twenty of our graduate students performing. They did the melody of all of our hits. Got it. Yeah, So y'all got to check that out and then after.
Speaker 1: That, y'all put that up online and everything.
Speaker 5: It will be checks, it will be yeah, it will be Yeah, we're gonna put that out. But I'm using that. I'm about to take over tiny desks and colors. I'm just one of you'll. Now it's called the I'm telling you what. It's going to be caught the big stage. Everybody wants to get on the big stage. Our stage is bigger than everybody's like, it just is. So everybody wants to go to big stage for Ted talks, every everything. So we're ain't no trafficking our lane. Yeah, I love.
Speaker 1: The big stage. Lights and.
Speaker 6: Exs exactly, graphics everything, Wait, you got you got some you got some extra curricular ship.
Speaker 5: There that henna love it.
Speaker 1: And then I'm just gonna appear through.
Speaker 3: The screen because I feel like if Michael Jackson do it, I can do. I need a toaster, give me a toaster.
Speaker 6: That's his favorite thing performing McDonald's.
Speaker 1: Pop out of.
Speaker 3: I have got to pop out of a toaster. It is coming soon. Look at it show. I'm gonna flip up out of the toaster and twist my ankle. Also, I know it's gonna happen toaster it is.
Speaker 8: Let's let's talk about these records, man, Let's talk about some of these records.
Speaker 3: Bro, like.
Speaker 5: The box man shout out to Riley, shout out to the homies. Man. We yeah, that's all.
Speaker 1: And what is it? Eleven eleven million? Yeah, this is a diamond record.
Speaker 5: Though, right, yeap the box with diamond shout out to Maloma.
Speaker 1: So how does how does that? How does that record come about?
Speaker 5: Roddy was working when I first met Roddy. This was before he was famous. It was like three four months before he started getting famous. And uh, I was hearing about him a lot because he's from La and he's, you know, from the culture, and you know, anybody from La gotta gotta come home. Their album is sound expensive. So he came and his engineer gave us all the sessions and we literally went through each session from intros and outros, putting them together and just off of us doing the intro and outro that end up we end up getting on the box because it's like a whole twenty seconds of just our music, you know what I mean. So, but we literally we do that for albums. Man. It was such a success, man.
Speaker 6: And no I remember sitting with Dallas with Dallas Martin and he was like, I'm gonna play something. And just before he got his new studio, I forgot that, he said at the Atlantic Stay and he's like, man, I got this artist named Riddy Rich.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, I think I met him. We had a Warner party at a Warner Music party and I think he put up in like a Ferrari or a Lamborghindi.
Speaker 6: And Tank was like, you know Tank notes, I'm like, who's the nigga that just jumped out of.
Speaker 1: That little nigga?
Speaker 6: He gold no records yet though, and he pulled up in the Lambo, so I'm like, okay, and he says his name and obviously it just I remember his name. So when I'm sitting in the studio with Dallas, Dallas like, I'm gonna play my new artist named Roddy Rich, I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, was he a Warner party with the lambod or whatever.
Speaker 3: He's like yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I said, oh, take new him and he was like yeah he the one. Yeah. He plays me through like three records, one of them was the Box. Yeah.
Speaker 6: He was like, what you think about this? I said no, no, it's something you play with that and that's the whichever got the Yeah, yeah, cap playing it again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm like, niggas are smad. He was like fun with that on that record, crazy right, I said, So when did we come out? He was like, yeah, you know, didn't get delayed with shit. Well, you know, we're gonna put out this and then we go.
Speaker 5: I was like, that's the one that's the one.
Speaker 1: To eat her record, don't I don't know the name of it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that body of work, that whole body of work.
Speaker 6: But he had told me, he was like, I got fifteen hundred. Theater was if you hear the transitions. He was like because, and he said it to me, He's like, Ride is a musician. I didn't know, right, you know what I'm saying. I didn't know none of that.
Speaker 1: At the time. And he's like, yoah, you know he can play the whole He got the whole thing.
Speaker 6: So we got fifteen hundred to come in and really do like, you know, like I said, the transitions for the album, and you know, to really bring the musicality to it.
Speaker 5: So it's really the human behavior aspect. It's to the point to now where people are coming to us to where it ain't just just the music. It's really a marriage. Like people got to know when to stop. That's really the secret to produce hiss. You know you just explained. It's like, yeah, take that out. Yeah no, because at the end of the day, the objective of a Cusmers is you got to keep and create a customer. That's the who objective of the business to keep them. So it's like, if you're saying a thousand words, you're saying all these things confuse me. It's like, how like I tell artists all the time, let's write the songs. If we're writing it with our audience, I got a partner. Yeah, because if you give the hype that the hype man got as many parts as you got, you got a good song. Because if you can do this how you do all the time and I do this is that's that's gold. You know what I mean. There's so many human behavior secrets people don't understand. That's why we got to school because it's a lot of a lot of secrets that I feel like that will help so many songwriters.
Speaker 3: It well, and it's it's it helps it helps music in general right too. You know, as we're talking with Smokey Robinson and we're talking about, you know, the reps and the things.
Speaker 5: And I just walked past my that was crazy that.
Speaker 1: I just called it.
Speaker 3: Smoking, call him smokey Joe, you know, because I know when he was little, you.
Speaker 1: Know me niggas telling me that when I meet him, when I meet him, you.
Speaker 4: Don't use little.
Speaker 3: Not but the the way they would give each other critique and and and compete and conversation to elevate the level of play was how they built a dynasty. Listen, because here's what I just here's what I what I what I what I try to tell people say, you have to know the difference between a nigga hating and constructive criticism, right, because there there's a difference, right, constructive criticism. I welcome, I welcome it. Tell me how this should be better. Tell me where I can make this more. Tell me to dial that vocal back because it's given a little too much in here because I can go there, I can do that, And so we need more of that. Where people understand how who their audience is first, first the audience is, and and what they're able to do.
Speaker 1: Mhmm.
Speaker 5: Can they can they sing that? Can they yeah, exactly.
Speaker 6: I know exactly what to say. When you say it ain't worth I'll go telling a lie.
Speaker 3: You cry, I'm from church, Call and response.
Speaker 5: That's the cheek culture hits. Yes, Jesus is real, Jesus real. It's literally the same you say, repeat yes, really three hooks, act like you got to say more words. It should just be three hooks and let everybody pick their favorite hook and let you know. It's more simpler than for words or less. Wasn't a while on the hook. Everybody gets bored bars, So make sure there's a bold something that's gonna make you turn your hair every eight bars. It's like you can take the cadences of anything, any song that you've ever heard, and use it for your own cadence. For a melody, you could take a base cadence and change the concept and change the melody. It's like, you know your writer's black if you're lying, So just tell somebody else truth where don't lie?
Speaker 1: Yeah, give me another song, give me boot up?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, boot up these walls Nipsey's album.
Speaker 3: Talk About, Talk About, talk about Uh, victory.
Speaker 5: Yeah victory lap I took us about thirteen years. Yeah, what it feels like we did that twenty eleven, and I'm trying to get nip Nip never. He ain't gonna ask nobody for no features. You know, that's just he's just humble like that. But I will so I've been sitting at this this song Saguru forever and trying to get jail, trying to get jail, and it was the perfect time and for what it feels like, so for the movie and heor after he rapped on it, I knew Nipsey was smiling because I you know, that was something he always wanted, is a song with Jay and especially with the music where the drums and like shots with Mike and keys and bars, and this was I don't know if y'all know what this song had. I had like thirteen of superstar singers on it that know that you didn't if you listen to the end. Dave Jake, jay Z cut off half the He said he wanted like a seven minute song, but I'll play it for you. But we got everybody from her BJ and Clemens uh, like you wouldn't believe. I'm gonna let y'all listen and see if y'all can catch these voices. But I literally called everybody said, YO, sing something on this for eight bars and send it to Marsha Ambrosius. Everybody, they just give me eight bars. And I put all that shit in and just and just made it at the end. So it was tight. It was tight.
Speaker 1: It's crazy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So y'all relationship, wasn't it right? Because that's how ultimately I had a chance to really kick it with him.
Speaker 1: One day was at.
Speaker 6: When y'all were shooting the show Tenna Davis and.
Speaker 1: Him and I just ended up in the green room.
Speaker 6: When we came to makeshift green room and meaning vegan food talking about like literally in there. It was me because Tank was swilming at the time, but me, I mean me Nipp and poop.
Speaker 1: Beer in that room. And what's the white kid that worked for Nip.
Speaker 6: N Marython John And he was in the room with us, and we just man, we start talking about touring agencies, books, vegan foods.
Speaker 1: We just and got her and I had it.
Speaker 6: I had a chance to really like get some real insights to his thought process and what he was on. And I told her, and I'm glad I had that chance to tell him how much I respected what he was doing. And your facility gave that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we do that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was always inspiring each other man, just you know, just being from that area.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: But one of the smartest niggas ever ever, bro, when it comes to just understanding I mean shot out to the homie Big Bob too. He was one of the people that like coaching us on understanding the branding laws and human behavior and that kind of when he got a hold of that can change Nipsey's whole mind.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 5: Literally, when literally, I mean from just understanding the brand. Like, I think every artist needs to know the brand laws. I don't even work with artists unless they know like ten things I know, and the brand and laws is one of them. I can't even fuck with nobody because you got to know who you are. It's like every one of the laws is every uh, every new brand must own one word and the hearts and the mind the consumer.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: So if you're an artist, that's your name, but then under it there's called a brand promise. The brand promise is why do we give a fucking what are you gonna do for us? Right? So, if you say FedEx, their brand promise is overnight. So what's yours? If you're a business. If you're like labels, though they self promote, you're not supposed to self promote and only promote when the average when the when the brand is already healthy after ten years, never supposed to sell advertised. It's called favorable publicity. Publicity is how do you get other niggas to talk about how tight you are? So I'll really take one hundred thousand dollar marketing budget, give everybody a hundred, Like to everybody, I'm tight. If you're just not that tight, you know, like that's just no swag. But you know, God gives everybody swag.
Speaker 1: You just got to find everybody.
Speaker 5: But that's like, you know, it's just a different ways of just understanding humans how to get them to.
Speaker 3: Well because because there are only there are only a few leaders rest of followers, and not in a bad way, because we all have a role to play in the ecosystem, right, so we're in the circle. We all need each other, right. But the way you're articulating it is that in order to get the mass attention, there is a formula.
Speaker 1: There's a formula for the mob that.
Speaker 5: Works every time. For messaging for the world, there's the message you have to put out through people through God, we know the secrets, but you can't abuse it. You can't abuse it though.
Speaker 1: Like viral is the conversation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh it's viral.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's why we we you know, we really wanted you on the show though, to give his tanks to this earlier you you were able to give the information but break it down in the layman terms.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: Like, you know, you you make it digestible for everyone, right, and that is a gift in it.
Speaker 1: So I think that a lot of people, they.
Speaker 6: Like you said, even if they can teach it, they still teach it in a certain way that the average person who really needs it, they don't really know how to take it.
Speaker 1: They're like, that's not weird, right, you know what I mean. Really, they're just saying, could you explain it? But you know, because especially where we all come from, we've all been.
Speaker 6: Through those public schools and understanding are not understanding something And the kid that's sitting right next to you, he don't want to say nothing, but he not learning anything because it's not being properly teached to him.
Speaker 1: For him.
Speaker 5: What our culture needs to know that it's the words that you say that will change the trajectory of your life and the conversation you have with people. Bro Like, it's so important to understand certain words, Like you can go up to somebody and be like, uh, yeah, so they can be talking about their business. You say, Yo, what's so? What's your four on nine A? By you knowing what the fuck of four O nine age? Y'all look it up? That's just what's your evaluation for your company a working value? Other than saying how much your company worth? Nigga, what's your four on nine A?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 5: This is the literalest these two small things. Like people different like that, go up and ask somebody what are you? What do you what are you most excited about? What are your superpower that you're going to give to the world? Throw niggas off to make them know that you're different, Like, don't just say what's what you've been up to? You just working? That's the most low vibration, broke, nigga talk about working on well, I hate that ship. Please don't say you're just working around me giving your biggest intention. Give me your biggest goal that ain't happening yet, so I can try to help and I know what your intention is yeah, looking unless you went to and it's still early.
Speaker 3: It's still the Snoop Gin the Doctor and Snoop the Go courtesy of the.
Speaker 5: Dog Father the dog that's big bro Man. Yeah, Snoop dogg MANH I love Snoop. I don't nobody say he has nobody Wrongop. He has changed my life. Thank you, Snoop. There're the opportunities and the people he's had me around, from just kings and queens, the presidents, to all type of just the hood, different cultures all around the world, just to be able to experience life.
Speaker 1: How long did you tours I've been.
Speaker 5: I've been on. I'm forty right now, birthdays February first too. But it's maybe George Sloops maybe like twenty years, twenty two, twenty two years, like on and off, you know, like it had to come to a point where I was on tour so much to where like I had the opportunity to get our studio in Inglewood. Shout to Mahmie Cave. He gave us, gave us us a studio in Inglewood right on sentienta right in the middle of the hood that was black.
Speaker 1: About.
Speaker 5: So he I seen him and Homie dre outside and they moving out, ball and all blue. I'm like, hold on, y'all. First of y'all Ingle would go inside, but what y'all done, We're about to move out. I'm like, hold on. I went to the house like Pops, give me some money. I'm about I'm giving give it up out of here. I need the studio. That's our family studio. Mom's sister painted that. Literally, this came our family studio and we call Lebrin Larry Brenda that's my mom and dad name. And from there that's where that's I mean, YG had. That's where Yg and Nipsey met bro. I tricked both of them to literally to come to the studio because you know, nifty knew about why, you know, but I had to literally come to my studio and not tell them that they were going to be there. And they end up doing a song together that my nephew produced, you know what I mean. So that Terrace had a studio there that was literally like the hood spot where we where we really got the culture. Sometimes if you too far out in the mountains and the value and you don't get to breathe culture and hear the words that these you know everyone's saying, and you know we get our hits from conversations from normal people. You know what I mean? You just think a melody to it.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 3: What do you where do you get your most fulfillment? Would it be? Would it be as a musician or as a producer and a songwriter.
Speaker 5: As a teacher now more, I'm more into songwriting now. I mean that's autopilot, like like I don't that's just that's just autopilot. But the thing is on think about being a musician. You have to deal standing in lines, you have to do with luggage, you have to deal with travel.
Speaker 3: Skip all that you can't no, Yeah, but what happens is that, like all the things that you go through, once you get to that stage, you do it okay in front of ten thousand and fifteen thousand.
Speaker 5: If I don't have to count all that other shit, I don't want to do. Yes, and it will be playing on stage because that's literally it's a certain feeling you get. We're like, bro, we didn't been on stage for like fifty thousand people, and I'll just play like two notes just to fuck with them. So it's like understanding, like what notes what sounds, what emotions make them feel a certain way, and you can just fuck with them and then take it right back to the studio because you understand what already worked. It's like kind of reversing. You're doing it reversed versus what works. So it's like I'm telling you that it's too many words because the crowd can't sing them anywords. They can only SINGO legato. And if you don't UNDERSTANDO, you can't do D D D. We're gonna wait for the who you know what I mean. So it's like understanding that it takes you to a whole another level in life.
Speaker 1: Do you have a favorite show?
Speaker 6: Because I know you've been on so many stage but do you have like one show that stands out?
Speaker 1: Like bro, we was in glassgowlf we.
Speaker 5: Did Glasgow, I thought, I mean, I like Live eight was like that was like the biggest show you could ever do with that many So Live eight was fun and like.
Speaker 1: How many people out there?
Speaker 5: Like it was like one hundred thousand people. They look like ants, everybody we like ants. But it was so much fun that and then I have fun doing our Beyonce show in Dubai. That was like, oh, you do that show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't you did that show. I've only heard of that show.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, our band is the band we know that.
Speaker 1: The most expensive band. Who you are, the most expensive in the world. That's called fifteen hundred. I got fifteen hundred.
Speaker 5: You sadly?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you gotta tell us about that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was an amazing experts.
Speaker 6: I'm sure it was set out amazingly for the whole like just even where y'all stayed everything, I hope, I know it was.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 5: The cool the cool thing is with Beyonce. First of all, she's just amazing everyone, her team is great and there's just all love. When I got the call from Guru and I put them on the phone, it was pretty fucking crazy. She was just explaining to me that, you know, going to Dubai and in a short amount of time, but we need this and a string section of horn section, all this type of stuff. So I feel like most musical directors, it's just one person that just wants to get to all the you know, it's just just one person. But I felt like for Beyonce, she needs like three musical directors. So what I did was at our first rehearsal, I took Damo, Who's the coldest Nigga alive? And Kyrie was also he actually worked on a box for me too all the go around. And I said, hey, we're your musical directors, and I'm telling you this because you need if you have if you have a request, it'll get done in two minutes. While literally two minutes. So then somebody walking over there is telling us, like with the way fifteen hundred is structured, we don't like to rehearsal forever. So the way our structure is, we really know how to get shit done if we need to change something, pro to us, why we got somebody changing something? As soon as she said, Kyrie's teaching a band, and we learned like literally calling out the numbers and in the parts. A by the time she ready rehearsed in two minutes, we we got it, you know what I mean. So that's that's that was something self selfish move that I wanted to do to act to just give you know, like Kyrie has been the one he just did the halftime show. He got like our band is they did the you know they're they're lit, you know, But I just a blessing. I could be a vessel, you know, company of Guru and the Rock and Jay and everybody looking out because that came from j JA. We did four four forward tour, right, you know what I mean. So that was you know, if you do good work, people talk and if you could close, you keep getting more. You'll keep getting the opportunity. Yeah for real.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that band, that that band is different.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's funny.
Speaker 1: Been on some amazing stages, bro.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a blessing.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 3: I was on tour when I did the Genuine Overseas Tour ninety eight. I was like, I'm playing keys and singing. He the Consolidate. I was like, I was like, well, I'll just put the keys for you. He's like he's like, all right, cool.
Speaker 5: See.
Speaker 3: Brought my drummer from one of my drummer guys in Bucky played for Backyard out of DC. My guy uh uh stays to face. I think they stays. The bas was on bass. I got Brandon Brodnax and Big Bob Terry and guitar and and.
Speaker 1: You talk about a time like it was. I was sad.
Speaker 3: To go to stop being on the road being a musician, singer. This nigga tank didn't want quick You talk about that all the time. I was sad he didn't want to become tank. I was having fun.
Speaker 5: It's fun, bro, Like that stage.
Speaker 3: That Lamin, it was doing so much work that all access lambing. It was having so many conversations that I didn't need to have in Germany, Man.
Speaker 1: Lamb In, it was like he just starting got cities over there. That's just show this spot.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Bro, respectfuly. Bro.
Speaker 3: I didn't even have to I didn't even have to hold It was just it was.
Speaker 1: You as chain around your name me my god.
Speaker 3: It's just the time of my life, bro, of being in music. Like I really I really carried a double tears stand, two keyboards, and a pvy amp like in one take. That was That's that was my life. Like, That's why my love and affinity for musicians is the way it is. That's why I value musicians of value, the dancers of value, the l d A value, my music, my my my soundman. I value them so much because I know what it takes to do that, and I know if one of those things is not cared for properly, if those everything.
Speaker 6: He really lives by that because just like you said, it earlier. A lot of times the band is disrespected depending on who the artist is, right and depending on who the artist team is.
Speaker 1: Like for me, I always knew Tank takes care of his band like he takes care of himself.
Speaker 6: So when people will be trying to like, oh, you got it, this is it, and I'll be like, well, it's probably I'm telling I'm telling promoters, I'm telling different people, I'm like, what's probably not gonna happen.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, you know, we got this.
Speaker 6: I'm like, listen, my artist and partner is a musician himself, so he is not going to just say.
Speaker 1: We don't need that or we don't need this.
Speaker 6: I'm going to just use what you got or the local musician in your city. The worst thing you could say when you called me about this man's house band.
Speaker 1: Listen, bro listen. Promoters around the world an the oral Craig.
Speaker 6: If you all me and say that word houseband, I guarantee you, no matter how much you offer him, he's not going to do the show.
Speaker 1: He's not.
Speaker 6: He's loyal to who he's loyal to, who rocks with him, Like yes, and and you notice as a musician, some things are track shows and some you know, some venues and just for that and I got to get in there and knock this little quick thing out. But house band, he ain't rolling.
Speaker 1: He is not rolling. Listen.
Speaker 3: I don't do like and and everybody has their own way of like traveling their crews. You know what I'm saying, whether it be an A crew, B cruise crew or you know, the a's are here and then the bees, we're gonna rap them over here and see is what we know.
Speaker 1: You know they're gonna that's that's the days.
Speaker 3: In right, My me and my band and my people. We are in the same place, we eating the same food. After the show is over, y'all want to hit y'all want to go hit something, hit the spot, grasp some foods.
Speaker 1: I got this, I got this hosting. Hey, I won't come. We go.
Speaker 3: Let's get enough vehicles because everybody can go man like because as musicians, bro like need each other. Man, we need each other. And you know, and you know how much better I played and sang because I knew genuine had my back.
Speaker 1: Might take it in. You're gonna give me a silk shirt too. He was gonna send a few letters my way.
Speaker 6: Listen, as Terry said what he said in that same seat, you can't forget about the cats.
Speaker 3: Can't forget about the cats.
Speaker 1: They can't forget about the cat.
Speaker 3: You guys are the ultimate cats.
Speaker 5: Look, I understand we learned. We was watching y'all bro the Underdog days. We was at Tyree Studio.
Speaker 3: That's what I wanted to get, Like, who is them niggas?
Speaker 5: Bro Tyres At that time he had everybody he could have signed us off for.
Speaker 3: He had no idea, I mean don't. I don't think anybody had. I don't think anybody had. I won't. I won't.
Speaker 1: I won't blame him the Ivy ivy.
Speaker 3: Because because to see what you guys have become, that's different. No one could have forecasted that your talent absolutely undeniable, but.
Speaker 1: Just the business business what you guys has built. Though.
Speaker 3: I would have never thought that I would. I would have never thought, not that you couldn't do it. I just didn't. I didn't see that, you know what I'm saying. I saw some niggas. It was like me, some hood musicians wain't working around, but do this music on another left, I saw that I was like man niggas cold man I rock with you. I like them niggas, but now you niggas some local type shop.
Speaker 6: I feel like though, and I was I was gonna say maybe in his defense, but not even in his defense. I feel like a Tyresee is just always wanted to be a vessel.
Speaker 1: He I don't think he really, I don't think.
Speaker 3: He wasn't looking too whole.
Speaker 5: He was just opening his door.
Speaker 6: I messed so many talented people through Tyree's you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Like I said that the ivys broy had.
Speaker 5: Everybody, all of them sell like people that you cause.
Speaker 6: You you go to Tyree's house and just meet somebody. Somebody's just there. That's very fucking talented.
Speaker 5: James was Tyree's engineer. Do y'all that part I did?
Speaker 1: I didn't know he was.
Speaker 5: James engineer for Tyree nigga. That's why James so cold? Wow?
Speaker 1: What I didn't know?
Speaker 5: He was his engineer downstairs, he was engineering for Tyres.
Speaker 1: James engine James different.
Speaker 5: You just try to get that bread.
Speaker 1: I remember.
Speaker 3: I remember right when I left the Underdogs, it was like I met James and it was like because a few of us had had shook. So it's just like, Okay, well, I mean, you know, I guess they'll figure it out there. They always do. And we heard James is there. It was like, I guess they're gonna be all right.
Speaker 1: Stayed up there for about two weeks. He gave him enough.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he gave He gave him a run.
Speaker 3: He gave him enough. You're gonna be fine without him. And it was like Damon was so excited about him. I'm talking, he was bouncing off the walls like I tell you when the next scene he got a pitch bend in his throat.
Speaker 1: This nigga don't even go note the note.
Speaker 3: He bends the notes.
Speaker 1: He's like my brother. I remember my brother came at the time.
Speaker 6: I had a at a studio house and my brother came back to the studio house and he was like.
Speaker 1: I met one of the coldest niggas ever in life.
Speaker 6: Damns like in life like nigga, we didn't mess with cold maybe yeah, And he was like, Jay, this nigga, it's he's different, bro. He's like he is bascial bro. He the records, he's writing the like it's just his vibe.
Speaker 1: He's like, yay, he wanted him one.
Speaker 5: You just got too much information. You're talking about a nigga that watches every anime, that's read every book on religious psychology and philosophy. That's a ghetto is like me, every it's a cheek he stands. He has a full understanding of the world, so ideology in one whole thing. So yeah, and I also understand how to write songs.
Speaker 3: He's got a frame or for any He's got a scene or a frame for anything. Yeah, and all in seeing that frame is is makes it so easy to write from. Like I would always if I was writing, I would say, I would say, I need I need a scene. I need a scenario. And once I have, once I lock in on the scene, oh, let me just write it frame by frame.
Speaker 1: Yeah, got it cool, We're good. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And that was my cheek code too. That is my cheek code to writing songs. It's like I envisioned the argument. I envision the encounter and envision the meeting, the handshake, the huh. I envision how it happens word for word, and I don't just say what happens. I give you adjectives to give you the feelings within the moment. I give you the smell within the moment. I give you the intent within the moment from both sides, like.
Speaker 5: It's yeah, that's that's I don't miss that one. Did you get that ship?
Speaker 3: That's that's writing life, that's turning life into music. Yeah, And as long as you can do that, because there are at least I always say, there are at least a million people that feel how you feel.
Speaker 1: It.
Speaker 3: That's really all you need. If you get ten percent of that, say five, right, So that's real talk, damn. And it's fine. It's finding your customer, it's finding your people.
Speaker 1: It's fine. It's like the guy who has the specialty store. Mm hmm.
Speaker 6: Yeah that eventually other people tell other people about.
Speaker 1: It's really that simple, bro.
Speaker 6: Like every publicity just said these things, the branding laws, right, it's all these things just come back to.
Speaker 1: Keep it simple, keep it simple. Mm hmm. You know what I mean, keep it simple.
Speaker 6: And I was I'd say the one thing too that that I've learned and tank can I talk about this all the time as well? With consistency. We know why our podcast works. We don't miss our. We don't miss our time. We don't miss our. We like people.
Speaker 1: They know what time that we do. The live. You know what I mean, when the live podcast drops, they know what time it drops on you know what I mean, on the on the streaming services and if any hiccup, Man, my dms are going crazy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you guys are programming at the highest.
Speaker 1: Level, you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: And I think that that's another thing with creatives, right, because we have so many creatives that are just like.
Speaker 1: Free flowing and they're you know, they're birds. They land when they want to land.
Speaker 6: But while the floodgates have been open to the world of creatives, it's so many other creative people now that they will go to. If you don't have consistency in your brand and what you're doing right, you know what I mean, if you don't have a landing spot for them, you don't.
Speaker 3: Have one or two times for them to go to your channel and knowing.
Speaker 1: It right, they're gonna stop going. They're gonna stop going, you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: That's so for you to come here and you're like, yeah, so yeah, we got It's not just the Academy no more.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Now I.
Speaker 5: Gotta be the news bro. The news is every day. So it's like just like Kanye, it's he's selling some fucking shoes and he's selling some clothes and not an album, and he's taking the album back and it's like, you gotta be in tho minds every day. And that's that's one of the things that we really got to make sure you were doing enough in our life. It ain't one thing. Music just ain't enough, no, you know what I mean, it's the lifestyle, Like niggas need to understand.
Speaker 1: Man, we got R and B.
Speaker 5: Man. Man, we're doing water chairs in the daytime. Come on, man, man.
Speaker 1: Yeah nothing, man, it's all money.
Speaker 3: Come on, so as you as you I mean Disneyland and Linglehood.
Speaker 1: It just sounds just sounds crazy.
Speaker 5: What else right now? I mean because you were consumed with Yeah.
Speaker 1: You got on your plate.
Speaker 5: Brother, I'm still a producer, musician.
Speaker 6: I still you put the Rose Orce into academy. Maybe you're gonna put the Road.
Speaker 1: You think I forgot about it, You're gonna put the rose in there next like the S s L. I was like, Okay, he's just.
Speaker 5: I'm chilling now. But honestly, my goal, man, is just trying to inspire and give access to nobody's ever the dream that they can have, you know, what I mean. It's to the points where like I'm a a TV show where I got students and people and they'll come and say what they need. Yeah, I want to be in tech. I know so many people in Silicon Valley and y Combinator at all these companies to where I can make a phone call and be like, oh, here's this is what you need. You need you know that. I just want to be the access to people for the culture to where they don't have to deal with all the bitch ass nigga activity to where they can I can just get straight to the to the money. But but that's why we have our schools to make sure you're qualified, you know what I.
Speaker 1: Mean, Because you can't, you can't connect foolishness.
Speaker 5: Then it's only then I'm exactly everybody.
Speaker 1: That's the worst thing to hear A lot of my.
Speaker 5: That's your boy man. Yeah, but no, we really just at this point, I'm tired of modern day slavery and how labels and all these companies are just minor their slaves, and we're about to change that. We're changing the models. The problem is there's creatives like two problems. The industry needs to have CFO CEOs like a normal business. We're getting tricked. All this shit is cat like with then R and all that that shit is cap We really need to it's a real business. So if you understand, learn Delaware law and that that'll help you under explain how corporations. That's Delaware law is the best for corporations. We really want to teach people how to own their own ship, how to build their ship. But we, of course we need help. So that's why we got the Disney Inglewood. We got the company we play. That's given opportunities to where like you can come to me and say, yo, rins, I want to do a new version of prices right with the culture, they can do that shit in two days and have the and have the set built, have everything built. Like you lyrics say y'all want to do a cartoon like or the Doo movie, the Mandalorian movie. You could do that and the models that they're doing, it's fair for us to where if you try to do that with Soda or any other company, you're gonna have to sign your whole life away and you want own ship. This is like right, it ain't gonna be like this by next year.
Speaker 1: Do the other one.
Speaker 5: Right now, we got the opportunity to really be able to own ip and build shit that you that comes from your brain, that can really come to real life with this right company, with this right group that can handle this ship. That's that's that's the trick. Of course. Event Space is a venue. It's it's not a stadium, but it ain't a club, so it's lit. We do boxing stadiums and we can do boxing matches, faster shows. It's that large, like it's like it's huge, but the main focus is promotion, capture VR AR virtuality. One of the owners created one of the owners that we play creative virtual reality. So their screen is better than any screen in Hollywood. So it's for movies. So like, I'll look at y'all like Walt Disney, y'all niggas a songwriter, bro your storytellers. But are we just gonna do it in songs for three minutes? But we're gonna do it in a movie.
Speaker 1: But we're gonna do.
Speaker 5: On cartoons or because we got eyes and ears, we can't just hear it. Yeah, it's like, but but who's going to be the first five niggas. That's my homies. That's gonna really see this opportunity like Nick cann and all these other niggas and take advantage of it and really help the culture. So it's the time, guys.
Speaker 6: Don't be like that's time I want to ask you to It's something that you know, my father was very instrumental in my career right and pushing me into you know, what what.
Speaker 1: Would I do and what we do.
Speaker 6: That I didn't know that your father played such a heavy role in what you're doing.
Speaker 5: So I hired my dad ten years eight years ago to work at the school teachers at the school he I mean he does him and my sister teaches everybody vocals. So they do all vocal to all the vocal training for celebrities to students from the age of schools to you know, all around the world. Like they know how to really get you to understand your inside, understand the power that you have inside and gives you the confidence. And then my sister when it comes to the studio, she's like female Kukrell, Like I don't even let no nigga she has. I have to work with my sister because she knows all the rules to break them. Like literally she's been around her and we've all been in the same school, so it's but it's a real family thing, you know. But Pops has been I mean he's been on deck. He was just his birthday yesterday. Yeah, so happy birthday, Pops. But uh, that's that's where I get my slack from man, and that's how I learned pool. If anybody want to play pool and willing to invest in yourselves, I'm taking cash up, crypto cash.
Speaker 1: We got I know he did? I say, I see what he's doing. Yeah, because he be posted to like tricks doing.
Speaker 5: I got a podcast, Did you get that? I'm gonna need job. I'm gonna talk about how to how to help the culture. And I'm whooping ass on pool and saying did you get that? In your face?
Speaker 1: I love that?
Speaker 5: Double See that's the strike right there. I got.
Speaker 3: I got love something at the house. Little a little table.
Speaker 5: I gotta watch out take one of the like, okay, yeah, a little work, brother, rats your top five R and D singers, singers? Oh people, Sam Cook?
Speaker 3: What you know about young Fellow?
Speaker 5: You know about that Brandy?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Five R and B singer Uh damn uh, Michael Jackson, Prince uh mm hmmm, Joe.
Speaker 3: I like, I like good ballance ball, great great textures, great textures.
Speaker 1: It's a really tough list.
Speaker 3: Tough list that Sam Cook was really it was really you got you started with a monster.
Speaker 1: I started.
Speaker 3: Top five R and B songs.
Speaker 5: Oh, all I do is think about You, Stevie Wonder and fun Fact. That's Michael Jackson and Jeryl LeVert sing in the background.
Speaker 1: I know Michael Jackson was.
Speaker 5: Look up the Yeah, yeah, listen to the high parts.
Speaker 1: Mike.
Speaker 5: Uh, pretty young thing. That's one of my favorite songs. Yeah, half crazy music child.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes.
Speaker 3: I asked him about that song when he went to ad lib at the end against against the scale of the music.
Speaker 1: He said, yeah, I was just being an.
Speaker 5: You're it still feels right.
Speaker 3: It's on of scale's like I just had to You're a demon.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 6: Tweet come to my place, We love Love twet tweet we waiting waiting come time.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: The Black Street album like anything from like anything?
Speaker 1: That album was, Yeah, that was Teddy Teddy.
Speaker 5: It's different. He's as a little for starting our whole career. Thank you, Teddy Riley. We listened to that Black Street album as a unit. I was signed a production company Clifton Journal. All of us we set and listening to listen to as a unit.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was like it was a proving ground for him at that point because he had already done such great things. But it had been a little bit a little minute, and then he came back with Black Street.
Speaker 1: It was like, this ship is incredible different.
Speaker 3: You re reference that for everything exactly.
Speaker 1: Nigga?
Speaker 3: What did where did they they mixed this ship and out of space?
Speaker 1: Nigga?
Speaker 3: What is this? Okay? All right, Okay, see your rants? Do you have to more? Okay, here we go. Let's make a Vulturon rants your Vultron, your super r and b artists who you're going to get the vocal from, the performance style, the styling, the passion of the artist, and who's going to produce for this motherfucker?
Speaker 5: What's the first one?
Speaker 3: We start with the first one where you're gonna get the vocal from one vocal for your super and the artists.
Speaker 6: Jazmine selling, Yes, sir, the world knows how I feel about Jazzon Selimon as a singer.
Speaker 5: Love you jazzon seven.
Speaker 1: She's nasty.
Speaker 3: Were walking around with Jazmine Sulliman songs in our laptop before she was even a thing.
Speaker 1: See just like, do you hear this ship's different?
Speaker 3: Young lady performance style stage.
Speaker 5: Former style on stage Mike, mm hmmm.
Speaker 3: Makes sense, makes sense. Styling the drip of the artist uniform.
Speaker 1: For real, Yeah, niggas for real fly.
Speaker 3: He's fly in in so many five year stretches where to where he'll shift it advertary.
Speaker 6: The first time I ever seen for real in person, I didn't know who he was because they wasn't they were at this time. I think they had just got like a a song deal, an lecture and our label whatever they were at a lectures when I was signed to a Lecture Records.
Speaker 1: And remember I was in New York. It's my first time.
Speaker 6: As like an adult by myself in New York going to take my little label meeting that nigga have a furrow with no shirt early coming out of a record label. I'm like, who the fuck is that? What is Asian partner? It's different, first time I ever seen him. Yeah me gone no shirt? That said oh yeah, And I remember, you know that's one of those things and the musics we know that like if somebody you gotta make people ask who was that? It's The first thing I did when I got stairs, I was like, yo, it was something dude with like a fur coat on, and they.
Speaker 1: Was like, yo, that nigga beats that nigga songwright. He crazy.
Speaker 3: His name is like for Real or something like that. The nigga keep it on. I never forgot it. I never forgot it.
Speaker 1: He shifts it.
Speaker 6: But it's futuristic and relevant at the same time. That's very tough tough to do, very very tough to do because you look crazy trying to be futuristic.
Speaker 3: The passion of your artists. Who's who mean it?
Speaker 9: Mm hmm the passion Oh nipsey M absolutely meaning absolutely.
Speaker 1: I heard the record one mm hmm. Come on, man, he mean that ship? Ship? You mean that? I said I'm in on just that alone.
Speaker 3: You believe the man, I believe.
Speaker 5: I can believe what.
Speaker 3: We watch as much.
Speaker 1: Who produceing for this artist? Ship?
Speaker 5: If I did it, it'd really be crazy.
Speaker 1: You'll be directed, Tom.
Speaker 5: We're man, I got friends. We're gonna collect all the money to not.
Speaker 1: Let's know, but have it no other way, not this ship.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that by very important part of the show. Will you tell us the story funny of Funked up, funny and fucked up.
Speaker 1: The only rude to the game. You can't say no name.
Speaker 5: I can't say no name, no names, and I can't say no name the one case, Well, well I got a listen, you wanna tell us a couple of stories. I'll start off with it's a super producer that inspired me because he didn't want to teach me Ableton and to the point to where like I was like, damn, how do you get your drums to go? Like keep going like and you're not doing nothing. I walked over there and niggas lid its computer too. I'm like, oh, ship, I've never experienced a real life hater in my life. This is really happening. So I couldn't do nothing but respect it. From there, I want to learn. I learned able To. Then me and James started school to teach Ableton and we've made so much people money from Ableton. In respect to that bitch Asz nigga, but I'll never say his name. Respect you.
Speaker 1: My God made you made.
Speaker 5: You inspired me that nigga did. I leave with him and then he just I'm like, oh, this is sick, but thank thank you. Yeah, you knew we was after we figured that out. It's over because able to at that time able. It was just DJ isn't able to, Like the culture of black people didn't figure out that you could. That could change the trajectory of your life if you really understand this program.
Speaker 3: Yeah he knew that. Is that what you'all now?
Speaker 5: Motherfucking right? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like that.
Speaker 5: It's life changing. I dare you. It's like, I dare you. It's a dare. I ain't dare to grow man in a long time. Trust me, Yeah, trust me, bro. It does things that you can do for sure. It does things that you can't do, that you possibly can't even think about. Like it's and it's fast. I spend more time with the family. I'm just faster.
Speaker 1: I need to come to school.
Speaker 5: I dare you, bro, we got to Our school is a school that che colds. Our two teachers at the school are the able to master, is the only able to certify masters. And out here what like it's everybody's just come hang out. We're gonna have some fun. We got certified as Yeah, it's serious, it's serious.
Speaker 1: I'm coming. That's who you should learn from.
Speaker 3: I'm coming to take the class on my mama.
Speaker 1: That's great. That is great.
Speaker 3: Nigga leaned his computer.
Speaker 1: One nigga.
Speaker 5: Changed our whole ship. I remember the time. It was an an R. He's another weird nigga. But uh me and James, well, actually I was playing some music and he was like, it's too West Coast, he'll never make it. Say the same thing that the homie told us that our songs are just wasn't good enough, not knowing that this nigga already had hits. That was the funny part. But he told me that. Three years later. I seen him again and I charged him so much money. He had to tell me, No, I did it on purpose because once a bit jazz nigga has a bitch ass nigg you always let him live, even for publishing. Some of y'all niggas know y'all don't deserve the publisher that y'all get, But y'all want that back. You can have it, and you know, I just no more.
Speaker 1: You realize what your value is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's like nothing that serious to do some weird ship to fuck up your future with the next situation with the human nothing that you know, So never make desperate decisions. I always make decisions like I got it a lot of money in my pocket even if I didn't.
Speaker 1: We brother, we're proud of you, Sha nigga, thank you, thank you. Hey.
Speaker 3: We started off teaching you, now you're teaching us. Now we got to come back to your school that's was supposed to be. We're humble enough to say that.
Speaker 5: Man, I appreciate you.
Speaker 3: Bro. We salute y'all and you and you all and everything that you guys are doing and saluteed. We supported, and we celebrate it more importantly even when you're not around. Celebrate for real broad conversations that we have tank to tell you.
Speaker 1: He said it earlier. We can't wait to talk about us homies got this or that? Then my niggas and the like.
Speaker 6: That is what we're supposed to be doing, all of us. We're supposed to be celebrating each other even when we're not in the room. Right Somebody tell me, man, I ran the rinks. He was telling me how he was excited to do your podcast.
Speaker 1: That means.
Speaker 3: People, that's what I call it. This thing forget. I say that all the time. I said evil has an army. Love needs one. To come on, sir, come on, we wouldn't kill for ours too. That's it, ship man. My name is Tank Valentine and this is the R and B Money Podcast, The authority on all things R and B, all things singers, songwriter, musician, producer, performer, publishing, what br a.
Speaker 1: Brand?
Speaker 3: Laws for the Education Masters, Delaware Law.
Speaker 1: Listen, man, rhythm, business, Rhythm in business. You don't got to be blues no more. We don't got to be living in more. Rhythm rhythm in business.
Speaker 3: Sitting right here in the hot seat, our brother France fifteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we say time, man,