Speaker 1: Hey, folks, it's Lyle.
Speaker 2: Before we get into the episode, I wanted to talk to you guys about a new thing I'm doing where you can help support my lizard endeavors by becoming a premium member of this podcast over at Therapy Gecko dot supercast dot com. Premium members, or gek Legends as I call them, we'll be able to get every new and existing episode of Therapy Gecko completely ad free. They'll also get a bonus podcast episode once a month, a bonus live show episode once a month from all of the live shows I've been doing around the world, a member's only live stream once a month. Plus you'll also support my ability to continue, hopefully doing this podcast for a long time, doing it around the world, and also supporting my ability to occasionally go eat a slice of pizza. Go to Therapy Gecko dot supercast dot com or find the link in the episode description to become a gek Legend today.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get into the episode. Hello everybody.
Speaker 2: This podcast was recorded on the streets of Uckland, New Zealand. I was in New Zealand on my tour and I took the streets to talk to people as a gecko in real life, and this episode is two interviews from that and then a phone call at the end.
Speaker 1: I really enjoyed these two interviews.
Speaker 2: I talked to a bartender living in the area, as well as an American transplant to New Zealand. Have a listen. I really enjoyed having these conversations. Don't skip over it just because it's not phone calls. Okay, Sometimes it's good to go out into the universe and talk.
Speaker 1: To actual people.
Speaker 2: If you enjoyed this episode and you want to watch the full thing, you can go to YouTube dot com slash Lyle forever and find the video called being a Gecko in New Zealand.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get into it. What's your name, bro?
Speaker 3: My name is Dylan. Dylan.
Speaker 1: Nice to meet you, man.
Speaker 3: Nice to me, mister Geko.
Speaker 1: Do you live here in Uckland?
Speaker 3: I do? Yeah, yeah?
Speaker 1: Tell me about Auckland? What what is?
Speaker 2: What is a guy come into the city who didn't know a damn thing about it?
Speaker 1: What should he know?
Speaker 3: Stay away from downtown late nights, like anywhere post three am we're in downtown is not the place to be at all. It's getting yourself into trouble pretty easy. If you want somewhere to go late night, ponson Bee or Kingsland, there's like a way bit of area to be at.
Speaker 2: I heard about pants and Bee, Yeah I heard. I heard it was nice. It's safer. Okay, that that makes sense. Yeah. Do you like living here?
Speaker 3: I do? I do. I've lived here my whole life and yeah, continue to do.
Speaker 1: So how do you feel like it's changed over time?
Speaker 3: Not much really? I Mean people talk about the fact that it's changed a lot, but I don't really feel like it's it's changed all there much like it's growing as a city. There's more people, but I don't really feel like it's it's changed all that much.
Speaker 2: Do you feel isolated, like living on a tiny little place like all the way I feel like you guys are like just you're so far out.
Speaker 3: Yeah. No, honestly, I don't know any different. So this has been This has been it for me.
Speaker 1: Have you got have you traveled outside of Uckland? Murmourn?
Speaker 3: I've done. I've done Melbourne and that's it. Okay, it's all I've done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, word word? What do you What do you do for a living?
Speaker 3: I'm a bottender?
Speaker 1: Oh cool?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Do you uh? Do people like to drink a lot here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a massive drinking culture here.
Speaker 1: Okay have you.
Speaker 2: Now, have you had any like, uh, unruly patrons you've had to deal with? Are people generally pretty chill?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Like there's always gonna be like people every now and again that are that are unruly, But generally people are pretty good, nice over here.
Speaker 1: What do you want to do When you were like a little kid.
Speaker 3: I wanted to be a wildlife photographer?
Speaker 1: Oh really?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Do you are? Are you still like into wildlife and stuff?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, Well I'm talking to a gecko right now, so you know, we'll.
Speaker 1: Take a picture together and then that'll be wildlife. What do you do? What's I got?
Speaker 2: Here's one for you. What's the most persistent thought on your mind lately?
Speaker 3: Wow? Yeah, this is deep, deep questions from a get go.
Speaker 2: Hey, man, I didn't come to Auckland to waddle in the in the in the in the in the kiddie pool.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah right, yeah, yeah no, you totally didn't, God man. Right now, probably the thing that I eternalize the most is trying to be as as good with my money as I possibly can. So the long time, I love not being very good with my money. So just trying to like make informed decisions with my own money and look after myself in that sense I supposed would be the thing that, Yeah, it is on my mind the most.
Speaker 2: You don't have to talk about this if you don't want to, But like what when you say you were previously irresponsible with the money, like in what way, like just.
Speaker 3: Just spending it on, Like there's nights of partying, like just a lot of drinking and not a lot of substance, like being fun in the moment, but then the next day, you know.
Speaker 2: But then let me ask you this, And I know that your goal is to like be more responsible moving forward, But when you look back on those crazy times that you felt like we were responsible, do you look back at them fondly or regretfully?
Speaker 3: I guess it's as a mixed bag of emotions, Like there's there's some funness to it as well. It seems to good times. But I guess I can't look at it back like it was a regrettable decision because I was having fun at the time, So no, I don't regret it. It's funness, good, good, Yeah, because I feel like, you know, even though the money's been spending what's been done has been done. It's like there's that, okay, but there's the whole thing of like I've seen a lot of people on TikTok talking about this, the debate between when you're young, should you just go for it and spend whatever you got to spend and have a good time because you'll never be young again, or should you be conservative so that way you know you're not totally fucked when you get into your like thirties and forties and ship. Yeah, it's it's it's difficult, right question to really answer. It's like you sort of just have to do what you feel it's right, Like what you want to do.
Speaker 1: How do you have fun these days?
Speaker 3: Play card games. We're a big fan of magic togethering.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's the magic magic that can get expensive though they can can Yeah, that could.
Speaker 1: Get It's funny.
Speaker 2: It's funny because staying at home playing card keeps can get more expensive.
Speaker 1: They're going out that actually.
Speaker 3: Again and then there's yeah, there's like snacks for everyone that we get snacks, We get a couple of drinks going so there's like also that, but it's cheaper than just like going out out. You know, it's spinning it at home with close friends, some snacks, having a couple of drinks, something too crazy.
Speaker 1: Do you have a lot of friends?
Speaker 3: No, No, I wouldn't say I have a lot of friends. I have a lot of people I know.
Speaker 2: But you were walking with someone who seemed who seems like they're your friends.
Speaker 3: She's a pretty good friend of mine. Actually, yeah, that's good. This is my partner.
Speaker 1: That's good.
Speaker 3: That's good.
Speaker 1: How'd you guys meet?
Speaker 3: We met through work? Actually we met at the same bar we're both working at three years ago. Now, yeah, I get there, right, Thank god.
Speaker 1: Do you do you desire to have more friends? No?
Speaker 3: In no, particularly, I felt like my circles tightened more and more as I've gotten older.
Speaker 2: It's it's good though, you get to you get to really it's you invest your time because I feel, I guess you get older and you're trying to live more life. It's like you you only have a really finite amount of time to give to people, and so you gotta be more you got. It's similar to how it's important to be financially responsible. You gotta be responsible with like, you know, you have less and less time where you're.
Speaker 1: Spending your time you know who you're missing your time with.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, no, I agree. She's actually helping to be a little bitter than my mind. Really, it's a great influence.
Speaker 1: That's how your Holling has been together for.
Speaker 3: Just over what we've been We were friends for a couple of years before we actually got together and we've been together for just over a year now, almost a year and a half. Year and a half, just over a year. That's what I said.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nice man.
Speaker 2: What's your what's your goal in life? What are you What's what's next for you? I want to get out of I want to get out of Oakland. I want just some traveling.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah you said you've been to Melbourne.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so I've only done Melbourne. We go back to Germany, visit her family, see how she grew up.
Speaker 1: Where where in Germany?
Speaker 2: Stutka a tiny, tiny town in Germany.
Speaker 3: Yeah, nice man. Yeah, that'll be the player to go through Europe next year, saving towards Europe. Again about the but the money thing, Yeah, it's the goal. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So as an American, like especially like every like younger Americans, like when we look at places like New Zealand and Australia, and Europe.
Speaker 1: We look at them as like, you know.
Speaker 2: These like like just so we look at them as like, oh, these places are like doing it the right way and so much better than America, and like we I feel like we look fondly on you know, places outside of the States. How do you feel like, like, do you look fondly at like, you know, Europe or America or Australia in comparison to New Zealand.
Speaker 3: I think it's it's interesting because I don't know anything about it. I haven't been to the country, so I guess that, Yeah, I do look at it fondly because I haven't been there.
Speaker 2: What's your uh, what's your like opinion on America?
Speaker 1: If you have one.
Speaker 3: I love your politics. Really it's very entertaining. I don't know that deeply, but I'd find it super super funny just to about every now and again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got we got the we got the Old Man Wars gone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you certainly do. How do you feel about that about the Old Man War, old mammals?
Speaker 2: I mean, I think it'd be sick to have a president who was it who was to the age of eighty? Yeah, yeah, and you know was normally I mean, I I mean, I like the guy we got now a lot better than uh Trump, for sure, but it would be cool to have just like a regular, like.
Speaker 1: A regular human being. Yeah, yeah, Obama.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know shit, some people people are gonna be like Obama did this and that. I don't know, shit, I'm dumb. But at least he like talked normally.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like I agree with you, Like I don't know much about the politics Americas, well, but at least I know about my good string sentences.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's important thing. Yeah, yeah, who's the president? Who's the president of New Zealand?
Speaker 3: New string sentences? Mister prison, Yeah he's watching. Yeah, yeah, who's who's the president of New Zealand?
Speaker 1: Or Prime Minister? I guess what's his name?
Speaker 3: Because it was Jacinda and it recently changed to No, it's not Luxembourg. It's no chrisph Luxburg. It's uh god. I don't follow politics strongly enough at all. I know that he recently changed. I know that Luxembourg is part of has changed. Like he's like it's white hand man. Do you remember Christopher Luxen.
Speaker 2: Christopher Luxeon's what what do you think? What do you think is important?
Speaker 1: To people here.
Speaker 3: I think keeping the country beautiful has always been a big part of this country, keeping it green, trying to keep it healthy. Sporting women's football right now super important for everyone.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The women's before right now is hot all over the place.
Speaker 3: Huh. Chris Hepkins and Luxembourg like, yeah, yeah, yeah, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: I want to test this out on you.
Speaker 2: Somebody told me that everybody in Auckland knows somebody or knows somebody who knows somebody that was a background extra and Lord of the Rings.
Speaker 3: I actually do, Yeah, I know, I know, not for Lord of the Rings though, for the for the series that was recently made that counts. Yeah, yeah, it is part of the load of universe, still part of Tolkien's universe.
Speaker 1: Was he do you know him?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 3: He worked at a bar next to an old bar, used to work out downtown and.
Speaker 1: He was he was a background character. Yeah yeah, that's so funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, I've that's You're the first person I've like asked that too.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's great.
Speaker 3: Huh what yeah yeah, even yeah, someone who isn't from New Zealand, oh you know.
Speaker 1: Someone from costumes?
Speaker 2: Man, this Lord of the Rings really this lord really he really gets around them. Now. I asked, what do you think is important to people of New Zealand? What's important to you personally, not even politically, just we could just make it a general question.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, there's something real dip to these questions. Mister gecko, is there making me weird, of making me think very on the spot right now, in the middle of the.
Speaker 1: Street, take your time, taking time?
Speaker 3: What is really important to me right now? I guess it's trying to be as healthy as possible. The first thing that comes to mind. Just trying to keep my health in check as best I can physically, Yeah, yeah, physically, meantally more physically though well with the like I know, it's hard to struggle with everyone with eating habits and drinking habits, but trying to maintain a little bit of balance because it can. You know, you can't slip up with eating and drinking every now and against. I think that'll be at the top.
Speaker 5: Dude.
Speaker 1: That's my worst. That's my like worst.
Speaker 2: That that's probably I mean, I have all kinds of problems and stuff, but that's probably one of my most big ones.
Speaker 3: Is the this is the health thing. It's it's difficult for me to like. It's it's not an easy thing for anyone.
Speaker 1: Are you what's your poison?
Speaker 3: Prob Burgers. Burgers is a big poison of manner. Yeah, love me a good burger, Kidie Burgers for the rest of my life. I was allowed. I love burgers.
Speaker 1: What do you mean now?
Speaker 2: Like? What what's I guess? I'm like, I don't even I'm sorry, I don't even know. Like what what's a normal person eat? Like what you salmon? Rice potatoes?
Speaker 1: Okay, that seems healthy?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, God, I don't know. I wouldn't call myself a healthy person because I work at a at a pizza bar right now. So it's pizza and pasta for free from Wednesday to Sunday.
Speaker 1: You're fucked.
Speaker 3: I'm fucked. You're fucked. Yeah, yeah, you're probably fucked. Yeah yeah yeah. So, I mean I'm not a healthy person. I wouldn't be the right person to ask about correct eating habits because I love off free pizza and pasta.
Speaker 1: How's au Is everything okay in the head?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's good? I think. I mean, how am I doing right now?
Speaker 2: Ge?
Speaker 1: I think you seem you seem same, You seem.
Speaker 3: Getting away with it.
Speaker 1: Bro, me too. I'm going crazy all the time.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I mean you post it up here as a gecko. Yeah, I mean this is the sameest thing I've done in quite a lot.
Speaker 1: That's awesome.
Speaker 2: No, I think everyone's a little I don't trust anyone who's not a little bit crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, right, that's those are the people where they are truly crazy.
Speaker 3: You have to have a little bit of h t.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, because I.
Speaker 2: Mean being alive, Like if you if you're truly sentient and aware of the position that you have as just a human being alive on earth, you gotta be a little you gotta be a little bit crazy.
Speaker 1: You gotta be a little bit like what the fuck?
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, is going on or in your experience some kind of deep sadness or confusion, And if you're not, it's like, what the what the hell's wrong with you?
Speaker 1: Just stopping at stop signs and.
Speaker 2: Absolutely putting your email address in on websites and stuff.
Speaker 1: You're just what are you doing? You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 3: No, I agree with you. I agree with you. Seeing that little clip at Joey Diaz saying that you gotta do something.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, yeah, yeah, what's what's some people they just don't do nothing. Yeah, they don't do nothing?
Speaker 2: Are you?
Speaker 1: Are you do you watch a lot of podcasts and.
Speaker 3: Check that a little bit, Yeah, a little bit here and there. Yeah, very very claychhited man Joe Rogan. I loved the Jerry I love Joe Rogan experience.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's all, He's everywhere.
Speaker 3: It's amazing. He's an amazing guy. He has as faults as everyone does, but he's a good dude. If you're watching Joe Rogan, I love you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's watching. Joe Rogan watches every episode of the page.
Speaker 1: Hm hmm. What do you have any jobs like besides bartender or was that? Are you like?
Speaker 3: I did a few things before bartending. I was in sales okay, the outbound contact center based sales okay, So that was like the first roles I did was like sales based roles and oh my god, yeah, make you late? It was very over. Yeah. Yeah, what was that?
Speaker 1: Oh you checked your phone and went, oh god, I thought I made you late to something.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no worries. I was checking when the card shop closer.
Speaker 1: I was on my way to the card sort to five drop a drop some racks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, exactly, yeah, yeah, safely drop some racks of course, you know the money.
Speaker 1: Oh what were you just saying? You were talking about our sales sales?
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, so I did. Yeah, a lot of outbound sales was like my first roles. It was all right, you know, I enjoyed it for a time, but I was late for all the time.
Speaker 1: What were you selling people?
Speaker 3: Selling people like an extension on their Sky packages, which is like a broadcasting TV service over here. So I was selling them like an extension on the broadcasting service that was that was one of the main ones.
Speaker 2: So like, like, I guess that's your guys' version of like calmcasts. They're correct, Yeah, okay, Like were you selling people something you felt like they did not need?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, Oh my god. That reminds me. I had this woman. You could see the ages of everyone in like the system, right. This woman was a good like seventy plus, And I know in my heart that she would not know how to use this like different adaptation of her Sky television because it's a new remote, everything's different. She barely even knows how to use your current one. And she was like, are you sure, I'm gonna be right to use this, and I convinced her that she would be able to use this. This woman is like Suny bus, and I know deep down mm hmm that she didn't know how to use this.
Speaker 2: That's the tough thing about sales is like they almost always are are Oh that bus has a several penises carved into it.
Speaker 1: They almost always.
Speaker 2: Are are probably targeting like people who are like significantly older.
Speaker 1: They just have no fucking idea. Yeah, yeah, I mean.
Speaker 3: I finished that call and it's like, I'm a terrible person. That woman did not know how to do it. She was so sweet. I convinced her for all for a number on my sales on my like what is that called when you reach a like sales target? For all for reaching my sales target, all for reaching quota?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Was that kind of Was that the beginning of the end of of doing that?
Speaker 3: That was hands down one of my you know, worst moments as a human. I feel like that was shocking. I couldn't believe I did that.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm. Are you how do you feel about what you do?
Speaker 2: Now? Do you do you enjoy like the h the risk that you provide to love it? Man? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 2: People have a good nutt time night out. I'm curious about So what's like because I know there's there's no tipping here.
Speaker 3: No, well there is, like seldom there are tips, but the tipping culture there isn't. There isn't much long because we get paid like a decent wage as opposed to America where it's like solely based on the tipping culture. But yeah, it's I mean, you're working the service and she too, right, there's a lot of tipping culture over here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, she said.
Speaker 2: The great thing about getting a tip here is that you can tell that they mean it because it's not just a thing that they're like kind of expected to do, so it is it is usually so I assume when you get a tip, it's like because it's like an genuine extra thing, not like, yeah, something that's expected.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, like yeah, you've really shown up. Yeah yeah absolutely.
Speaker 2: So do you think do you do you see yourself transitioning out of bartending anytime soon to do anything else or are you happy doing that?
Speaker 3: I mean eventually eventually, I'm just about to crack thirty. I've been bartending for the past like half a decade. It's eventually had a point I feel where my body won't be able to do the bartending thing anymore because.
Speaker 1: It's late nights.
Speaker 3: It's late nights. It's a lot of physical exertion. Yeah, there's a lot of picking things up and putting them down again. So I feel like my body won't be able to do that for so long before. Yeah, for it'll be time for a transition and then fuck, I have no idea what's next?
Speaker 1: Are you? Are you? Are you happy?
Speaker 3: I'm happy? That's great, I'm happy. Are you think about that one?
Speaker 2: I'm grateful, But I'm not my dad might I'm pretty I'm a very neurotic guy, So I'm pretty anxious day to day about all sorts of things.
Speaker 3: You're doing super well right now?
Speaker 1: Thanks, Well, I'm having a good Well, Well that's you know why why?
Speaker 2: Well, that's because well, right now I'm here, I am in the moments, talking to you and doing this, and so I feel and that's the times when I feel the most h not insane and anxious is when I'm actually in the moments doing something.
Speaker 1: You know what the flow state is?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've actually seen a couple of videos about it.
Speaker 1: I'm sure They've talked.
Speaker 2: About it on Rogan before, like like when you're actually in the uh uh, in the flow and the flow when you fussing, you're present, you're there and when you're and that's the I think that's the happiest the person can possibly be, is when they're just present. Because when I what the things that make me unhappy are getting anxious about the future, anxious about oh I forgot to do this, or maybe I should be doing this or that or the other thing, or am I going to die because I eat too many hamber in red bulls? Like uh, you know, when when my brain is in the past or in the future, anywhere but right here. But when I'm right here talking to you, I feel I feel nice.
Speaker 3: It all fades away away.
Speaker 2: And I'm in Auckland. There's a guy staring at me from that bus and waved.
Speaker 1: But I'm here. I'm happy right in this very moment.
Speaker 2: But uh, three hours from now, when I'm sitting in my hotel room on my looking at Twitter, I'll probably probably be sad again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I mean that's okay. You know, there's a balance to everything. Is you can't always be mister happy Geka. Sometimes there needs to be moments wheel like, you know, yeah, say not so happy. I just yeah, it's gonna happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I don't know. I don't know. That's why the whole thing is.
Speaker 2: I don't trust anyone who's happy one hundred percent of the time.
Speaker 1: I'm always like, what's up with this guy? Everyone? Everyone? I'm always like, there's everyone. I always feel like everyone has.
Speaker 3: Something nice and a lot of time in the shower.
Speaker 2: Those people, Oh my god, I have to every I have never, I have every shower.
Speaker 1: I sit down in the shower.
Speaker 3: Yes, I do.
Speaker 2: I sit down in everyone. I sit down in everyone. I've never taken a shower. I haven't taken a shower this year without sitting down.
Speaker 1: Is that weird?
Speaker 3: No, that's not weird. It's really nice. Sit still, what's hitting you?
Speaker 1: I also haven't taken one this year without pissing in it as well?
Speaker 3: Nice nice?
Speaker 1: Is that weird?
Speaker 3: No, that's not weird. That's not weird at all. I've done the occasional piss in the shower. Time I don't pissing the shower has been she's in the shower with me. Then no pissing because of my head, you know, it's so weird.
Speaker 1: She looked at him and said, I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: She did, no set die.
Speaker 1: Well, what's your name again? I'm Dylan, Dylan Lyle.
Speaker 2: Very nice to meet you, Very nice to meet Is there anything else you want to say to the people of the computer before we go?
Speaker 3: If you're watching, Love You America. If you're watching you need a new president New Zealand. If you're watching Stay Green beautiful? Yeah, Oh, hey.
Speaker 1: Where should I go?
Speaker 2: I'm going to what heat I I have? I have to be at the airport in the evening tomorrow. But I want to go on a day trip. Where should I go? Where should I go to see some like? I want to see some.
Speaker 1: Like Lord of the Rings Ship. Where's a good place for that.
Speaker 3: It's a bit of a cruise to Hobiton. Yeah, it'd be a be a bit of a tough day trip. They have a car. If you had a car, I got, I got my I got my own.
Speaker 2: I got Oh. I just have a bunch of these Gecko costumes.
Speaker 1: That's all that's in my possession right now.
Speaker 3: It's just alternating gigo costumes. Yeah, it's a bit of a mission to get to hobbiton if you wanted something Lord of the rings base, what.
Speaker 1: About what he?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Is that place cool?
Speaker 3: I saw that on the on the tzip of your tongue there before you before you ask me why he would beautiful. If it's a nice day tomorrow, okay, and you want to go to Wahiki, it's this beautiful spot. It's called mud Brick and it's a vineyard over there. It's not far from the Theory terminal as well, so you get off Ferry terminal. It's like a ten minute scooter if you hire a scooter or like a tim minute uber or TEXTI. I don't know what they I don't know if they do Uber's over there. But yeah, i'd say go do mud breaking, go to one of the beach.
Speaker 1: That's my chances of like going missing.
Speaker 3: On White Hickey. Yeah, like slim to none do.
Speaker 1: Missing.
Speaker 3: No, No, you don't can go missing?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 1: Yeah, if I go missing.
Speaker 3: Bro, you're next. If you want to have a jam, you're next. All right, easy, easy.
Speaker 1: I see my mom, dumb don't oh ship all right? Come back?
Speaker 3: All right there you go on to the next one.
Speaker 1: Dylan.
Speaker 2: Very nice to meet you, man, It's pleasure man. Thanks coming I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Good.
Speaker 2: What a journey, What a journey. It has been beautiful. It's been nice. Dylan forever, laugh forever, awesome, all right, take care brother, get Yeah, of course, of course the wildlife photography dream has come true.
Speaker 3: Wicked. Yea, it's fantastic. Thanks, thank you, man.
Speaker 1: That was fun. I like talking to that guy.
Speaker 7: Kiwi people are some of the most friendly in the world. Really, that's for sure. Yeah, and you are from I'm American from Boston, Massachusetts.
Speaker 1: You're American for.
Speaker 2: Boston, Massachusetts. And I'll say this at the beginning of this and I cut it out, but there were several there were a couple other Americans who wanted to have a seat and talk, and I was like, what happens.
Speaker 1: All the time?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll go, I'll go to a four I'll travel all the way to a foreign country to interview people, and the only people that want to talk to me are Americans. But I feel like we got a nice, healthy, we had some nice, healthy Kiwi conversations today. So we can fit a yank in. What's your name, man, I'm Jake, Jake missed to Mate. We met earlier and talked for a little bit while I was setting up. But for sure someone ask you a lot of the same.
Speaker 5: That's fine, thanks, I repeat myself. You know, it's easier.
Speaker 1: How's your life going, what's going on?
Speaker 5: It's good.
Speaker 7: I've lived in New Zealand about five years now and it's a cool country. It's very relaxed, it's super easy to live in. People are friendly. You know, there's really no problems in it at all.
Speaker 1: You say there's no problems.
Speaker 7: Really, I mean everywhere's problems in the world, right of course, but comparatively, it's safe to live in. You know, it's it's hard to be like destitute in it's really like low ceiling. But again there's a really low floor, but there's a high ceiling at the same time, so it's kind of complicated in that regard. But it's super easy to live I've been here out through all of COVID and that was way better than the States.
Speaker 1: Why was it better here for COVID than in the States.
Speaker 5: It was just handled in the way less aggressive way. I think. O think it's just the population.
Speaker 7: I think people are just less aggressive by nature, and I think it was just handled in a much more like communal way versus like US versus them way, and America has become very much US versus them in the past few years.
Speaker 1: It's just strange interesting. Yeah, do you ever go back to America?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I went back in November. It was the first time I've been back in the States in like about five years. It's good to like see family and stuff. Went back for a wedding and things. But it changed a whole lot. People again didn't seem as friendly as I remember leaving it. And I think that just comes down to there's a lot more like political division and social division and economic division. And I just think that like as perforated into society a lot stronger than it maybe it used to be, or maybe I'm just older and more aware now.
Speaker 2: M you know, I was talking to somebody. I don't know if New Zealand and Australia had similar deals, but it's from from talking to people about how the COVID was in Australia.
Speaker 1: It seemed like it was more aggressive.
Speaker 2: Well, I had somebody told me that when they had they had COVID and a police officer like came to their house, Yeah, and like made sure that they didn't go out.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it definitely was way more fascist in that regard, like the lockdowns happened and kind of being forced to stay inside. But even outside of that, people were less aggressive. Like in America when there was like mask mandates, there was people like screaming at coffee shop workers for being like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well because it's funny because when he told me that, I was like, dude, in America, people that would not people people would have gotten fucking yes exactly, because as I'm traveling more like and like us, everyone knows like America is all about like, uh exactly, yeah, yeah, which is why someone when I said he looked at me and was like, well.
Speaker 7: They're not gonna say anything here, yea. But yeah, I just think it comes down to just how how people are. This is a very like relaxed country. People are very chill. It's you know, they don't really ask for a whole lot, they don't really want a whole up, but they also you know, are very much I don't know, I guess. I guess America is just much more about like I deserve so much and you should give that to me orreas this country is more like I deserve what other people deserve. There's a bit of tall poppy syndrome too, like somebody else about, Yeah, if you do too much, people really want to cut you down because they don't want to see you excel because that means they have to work harder.
Speaker 5: I really think that's what it comes down.
Speaker 1: To, the tall poppy syndrome here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, somebody I was talking to somebody in Brisbane, Australia, and they said the exact same thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I just think it comes down to, like, you know, America as a country that like there's that mindset if you work really hard, you get a whole lot. Yeah, even though it's not true, and I don't think that mindset is necessarily the same here. And that's you know socialist healthcare as well, and you know government subsidies and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Is there socialist health care here?
Speaker 5: Absolutely?
Speaker 7: If you get into any kind of accident, you're totally fine, So talking to you right now, And a car comes and hits my leg and breaks it, totally covered by everything. I don't pay anything for that.
Speaker 1: Really.
Speaker 5: They even pay me to like be out of work for a few weeks, like to recover.
Speaker 1: Is that is that an Australia thing too?
Speaker 5: I think so. I think I've tried.
Speaker 2: I talked to some people in Australia and they said that they still have to like pay for healthcare, and I.
Speaker 7: Mean, you still have to pay when you go see like specialists, and you have to like go to like pay a copey at the doctor and stuff like that. But like calling an ablience isn't gonna be three K out of pocket like it is in the States, which is again awesome.
Speaker 1: And do you get all that.
Speaker 7: I mean, you're I mean you've been here for five years, right, even if you're just traveling through the country, so you're like in a car accident, they'll help take care of you. They might charge you more than like a local, but it won't be nearly as high as America.
Speaker 1: Fascinating. Yeah, what else do you like here more than America?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 7: The climate's pretty cool, Like there's not as much it's not really hot, it's not really cold. It's pretty consistent. This country is really small, so it's easy to like travel domestically in, which was like beneficial during COVID because kind of like the world was locked down for a little bit. Yeah, but you know, are there is there a train system there used to be but there's not anymore. I think that just became like cars became like the dominant sign of like the West, you know, they became very much like the sign of individual freedom and.
Speaker 5: Liberty, like in Fascinating.
Speaker 7: Well, the people can take your house away, but it's so hard to take your car away if you're in it. Like they can come to your house and throw you in handcuffs, but if you're moving your vehicle, how are they gonna take it from you? And I think that's just become like boo, yeah, and it's become like a thing in America too, cities are designed for cars and not pedestrians or trains or anything like that.
Speaker 1: I know, it's such a bummer, man, it's such a bummer.
Speaker 2: The whole uh, the whole city is a design for I was I was thinking about this, like every American city is. There's maybe like a tiny handful of New York, Chicago, New York, Chicago, may be Philly.
Speaker 7: Maybe Boston. But yeah, other than that, La is designed fully for cars. Most of Texas is designed fully for cars. I really can't think of any public infrastruction in US that's like top tier besides maybe New York. But you know that's two hundred years old at this point.
Speaker 2: All right, now, any what do you like better about America than New Zealand's?
Speaker 7: Uh, the economy way stronger. It's you know, it's easier to make money Like I would I was working as a bartender back in like Boston. I would pull in like, you know, twelve hundred bucks on like a Friday and a Saturday night in cash. And that's like a weekly pay here for a bartender. So it's good and bad because there's less of that tipping culture, but there's also more of there's just harder to make money. And housing prices are ridiculous in rents insane?
Speaker 1: How much do you pay for rent? So I'm one of those How much do you pay for rent? Guys?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 1: How much differ rent in New Zealand?
Speaker 7: So I have a two bedroom that I share with somebody and it's seven hundred and twenty dollars a week.
Speaker 1: Seven hundred and twenty New Zealand dollars? Yeah, okay, so.
Speaker 5: What's five forty I think American?
Speaker 2: That's like New Zealand dollar is point is sixty two percent?
Speaker 1: Yeah, of correct, So what would it be? Okay? So it's how much was the rent of.
Speaker 5: Weekly seven seven thirty. So I think if you do.
Speaker 2: Thirty divided by split seven thirty total split between you.
Speaker 1: Two between two of us, So that's how much would that be for you?
Speaker 7: That's uh so what is that? Three fifty plus twenty so like, uh three sixty five.
Speaker 1: Three five about right?
Speaker 2: Times point six two. Let's do I'm gonna do some math. Yeah, let's do the math on this. I'm very I'm very curious about this kind of thing.
Speaker 7: I think when I last looked, it was like two thousand New Zealand dollars was like one thousand, two hundred American You pay what three.
Speaker 2: Sixty five yeah times fifty two divided by twelve times point six two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, a nine hundred and eighty American dollars a month.
Speaker 5: That sounds about right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that sounds pretty standard to live in like a big major city.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: And again you know, like you know, pay us pretty well, like minimum wages like twenty one dollars an hour.
Speaker 1: New Zealand dollars.
Speaker 7: Yeah, okay, which that seems that's about similar to exactly. Yeah, and you know, just the higher standard of living too. Food is pretty expensive, Like I'll spend three hundred bucks a week on groceries for two people, because like food's just mental.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, so where and do you feel like it's the cost of living in total and everything is better in Boston?
Speaker 7: Oh heck, yeah, this is one of the most expensive cities I've ever lived in.
Speaker 3: Interesting.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I would say the only more more expensive city was Vancouver.
Speaker 1: Like Coop's nice.
Speaker 7: Yeah, oh wicked, nice, but expensive to live unless you make decent, decent money.
Speaker 2: All right, So tell me about you personally. So you moved here five years ago. Did you come here alone? No?
Speaker 7: I followed a girl here that I barely knew. I met her and uh, she was moving to New Zealand. She was English girl. We met outside of Boston and she was moving to New Zealand in about four months. And she asked me if I wanted to come, and I said, fuck, yeah, why not?
Speaker 1: Did you have like you met her outside of like what at a bar?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 7: So she was working at like an office like full time, and her mom encouraged her to like go meet people, So go work in a bar like one night a week, and I was working there and we hit it off really well.
Speaker 5: And yeah, just followed her here, And.
Speaker 1: How long do you know her before you followed her there?
Speaker 7: Like five months, so you need to have her like eight months total before we moved here. And how old are you, uh, twenty two, twenty three?
Speaker 1: Did you have really anything?
Speaker 2: I mean, it's funny because that sounds like a rash decision, but in like, did you have any fucking thing else going on?
Speaker 3: Then?
Speaker 7: Like's what's the worst that could happen? Yeah, I came for a work holiday for one year. If that sucked, whatever, I'll go back to America. I really liked it. Halfway through that second year, COVID kind was popping off. Seemed, you know, kind of ideal to stay here, so I did and then been here, you know, five years now.
Speaker 2: Well, it's interesting with decisions like that of like, you know, cause I've talked I've talked to a lot of people on my podcast who are like, you know, me and my like who want to make some kind of like big life decision in the name of like a relationship, and it's like normal normally I think that's a very bad idea. But in your case, where it's like where you know, where you're like, Okay, if I follow this girl to New Zealand and she except with me on the spot. It's like I still went to a foreign country and got out of my comfort zone and did things that are of my own personal growth and development.
Speaker 7: Yeah exactly, And I think because I'm young, that's more beneficial.
Speaker 2: Like you didn't like leave behind a like a career that you were investing in or anything like that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'll give you a bad story.
Speaker 7: So one of my friends, his aunt moved to Singapore to be with her husband with their two kids, like sold their house in America, like, moved to Singapore, got onto the airport, and the husband was like, yeah, I'm divorcing. This is my new wife and child thanks to the house and putting the money in my account, like enjoy Singapore and then just left her. And so like when you have kids, or if you're older, like yeah, there might be more of that kind of thought between, like there's a lot more to think about, right, But when you're you know, mid twenties, Like, again, what's the worst that could happen? I lose a kidney in a foreign country.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess I didn't bring up but yeah, there is the chance of you know them, you know stealing your kidney and shit.
Speaker 7: Yeahah, but you get that experience when you're going a tender day in like la or something too, you know what I mean. So I guess as long as you kind of look at like failure is not really like as an option as something that you learn from. I really don't think you can have bad experiences like that just with the relationships.
Speaker 1: I agree with that. Did you how how long were you with this girl?
Speaker 5: Like three and or half years? Almost four? Okay?
Speaker 2: Okay, oh yeah, so you the relationship ran aside? If she didn't break up with you on the spot?
Speaker 5: No, no, no, so like people just grow apart.
Speaker 7: Yeah, like you know, it wasn't like anything, like we just became like different people after a while, which is you know, that just happens. And I think every relationship serves a purpose even if it like ends, and you know, yeah, I do miss her and we occasionally talk, but like it's better for us to not be in a relationship.
Speaker 5: For both of us.
Speaker 1: Where what do you do now for work?
Speaker 7: So until about two months ago, I was running a member's only bar uptown and now I do data management for a construction company.
Speaker 1: Are you happy?
Speaker 5: I mean not really, is anyone really happy?
Speaker 2: Okay, Well I was talking to last guy, yeah, and he said, yes, is anyone really happy?
Speaker 1: That's a good question, does anyone really happy?
Speaker 5: I think you can be content.
Speaker 7: I think you can be content with the life you have with you know, having roof of your head and having food and stuff like that. But I think happiness comes from like a lot deeper of a level than having that filled. I think that comes from like fulfillment in your personal life, like outside of feeling like Maslow's hierarchy of needs like safety.
Speaker 5: And security and stuff like that.
Speaker 7: I think you get into a much different perspective on what like happiness actually is once again, once you filled that base tire. And I think that's kind of like where I'm at now, trying to like learn from my failures and learn like as a human being of like what I can do better and what I've done wrong?
Speaker 2: And so do you have an idea of what would make you happy? What would get you to that point?
Speaker 7: I mean, to be honest with you, I think that really comes to like to really knowing if you've caused more suffering than you've alleviated. I think that would be or the other way around, You've alleviated more suffering in the world than caused. I think that is ultimately what brings about the true form of happiness. But I think that is really hard for you to ever decipher on your own, and that's why people find, you know, religion or veganism or whatever you want to do. So I think that's kind of how my perspective on that is.
Speaker 1: Are you actively unhappy?
Speaker 7: I mean, I don't want to kill myself, but I also like, you know what I mean, but like what, like what is happiness? Happiness is like, you know, never being sad, but I feel like never having rainy days means sunshine isn't necessarily as nice.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Sometimes and I was just I was just unloading on the other guy about this. Sometimes I'm like, like I have a I have a general anxiety and like I don't want to like general like there's a there's a something, there's and there's there's a some Oh man, i'm doing green stuff.
Speaker 1: I look like we.
Speaker 2: I'm happy now I'm feeling good and that's well, all right, it's gone. There's a general I don't know what it is, like direness, yeah, like it's not and it's not and it's again, it's not like I want to kill myself thing, but.
Speaker 1: It's like there's a weird direness.
Speaker 7: I think that's because we're stuck in this rat wheel, like you know what I mean, Like there's just there's no realists. There's so much slave wageness and stuff like that, like if if you want to be self sustainable, you need to be a farmer and work incredibly hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so hello.
Speaker 2: But it's weird because even though I'm like, I'm very grateful and lucky enough to get to like to be a fucking stupid gecko for a living like I still have every day, there's like a weird direness which I don't I whish. I feel like I might not, like like if I were like a nor like if I were like a dude working in like an office and like had like a wife, and like if I lived like a very traditional life. Part of me feels like I wouldn't feel as diary because you know, you meet these guys, you meet folks who are you who you kind of feel like are like like they eat healthy and wake up early and go to their job and have their family, like who seem like they have like a normal life that's making them happy, and then there's probably a lot of people who live lives like that that are not happy.
Speaker 7: Well, I would say that why is the divorce rate so high and you know, suicide rate for like men in their thirties and forties or so high. If that's kind of the case, I think a lot of that is just filling the void. It's the same thing for like going to the gym a lot, if that's your chronic thing, or drugs or alcohol, Like everybody just kind of fills that void inside of them. And some people feel it with like work and family, and I think that's healthier than like, you know, fucking shooting a heroine every day. But on the inverse, though, there's still that void that people are filling. And I think that's kind of like what you know, Buddhist teachings kind of like prophesizes and philosophies as kind of that whole like internal monologue on what is and what is not?
Speaker 1: Is it anything? I'd like to believe ideally.
Speaker 2: That that whatever happiness is, it's something I uh, like, you know, you're talking about the massle higher hies. I'm like, I'd like to believe that my happiness could be achieved totally of my sell, like I don't need anything, Like it's just like I could be naked on the beach with no family or friends yep, no, no, nothing and just be like I don't know, like the But but that's probably not true.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think about.
Speaker 7: Human beings are all connected into like one sense in some regard. So I think that not saying it's selfish, but that kind of like independent happiness I don't really think extends past like the individual, because you don't live as like a hermit in the woods.
Speaker 5: You live in society.
Speaker 7: And so if you're doing really well and everybody you walk by is you know, starving and dying, then are you really going to be like, well, my day is great, like.
Speaker 1: I guess well.
Speaker 2: The reason I like well, the reason I'd like to feel that way is because I'm very big on what you can and cannot control, agreed, And I can only I can't control things, and I can't control I can't control things outside of myself, And so if I leave my happiness up to things I cannot control, I'm fucked.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but I think you leave a lot of things up to like what you can't control. And I think some of it is just accepting that and not like accepting things that you can't control and like learning to deal with them, making the best out of a bad situation or making the most out of a good one. I think if you, if you always live in like your own personal seat of happiness, when you have these like really good experiences and good days, you won't view them for what they are. You'll view them as just like another good day. There's an interesting like quote from a book that's, like the problem with dark days is you think you're always in the darkness one of the good days, it's hard to see the light. And I think that's kind of how people view when they're too content with life or too safe. And that's one of the problems in like Western society to an extent, is people's maslows hierarchies are so filled that they're looking for external happiness in the wrong ways. They're looking to fill the void with ramp and drugs and alcohol or sex. I mean, hey, I've done that shit, so I kind of like, you know, I'm speaking from experience, yeah, man, But like you know, it's the same thing for the jobs some people get lucky and they find like a career path that like really sticks for them, and some people like retire without really knowing what they wanted to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So, and it's the same thing with life. People on their death better are like, oh, I wish I'd done this differently, or I wish I would have done this. But also people while they're living live with regrets and also have to live with them and move past them.
Speaker 1: Here's my thing.
Speaker 2: All I care about is that I try it. Trying is like trying is within my control, you know, because like all right, because you're talking about like if like you're all happy, but ever people aren't around you are people around you aren't happy. But it's like if you if you then think to yourself, I'm like, okay, well, what's within my control to try. You're never gonna be able to make another person happy or make another person feel any way, shape or form or anything.
Speaker 1: But you can try.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And if yet tried, then that was you fulfilling the thing that was within your control.
Speaker 7: I completely agree, And I think that's one of the biggest things in life, is just like to try to try everything. I've had thirty eight different jobs, I like to travel, like to meet people. And I wouldn't say anything I've ever had as a failure, even though I've been fired like twenty two times. But you know, like I don't. I don't think life is about not trying. I think it's about trying everything.
Speaker 1: What's next for you?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 1: So you're working in the corporate thingy right now? Yeah, what's next? What's next on your journey?
Speaker 7: So ideally I'd like to find somebody who'll give me funding for a startup farm idea for self contained hydroponic farms inside of shipping containers and repurpose office buildings.
Speaker 2: I hope that somebody who knows what the fuck that is gives you money for it.
Speaker 7: No, I just think that, like one of the things that I could probably achieve in my lifetime is helping with like food scarcity and stuff like that. I feel like that's pretty attainable because you know, food is so mismanaged in this world. There's so much waste and stuff like that. I find it strange that poverty is the leading cause of obesity and starvation.
Speaker 1: Poverty is the leading cars of obesity and starvasion.
Speaker 5: Yeah, isn't that strange?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You know, I will I think is it I feel it's I feel like it is cheaper to eat shitty than to eat healthy.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, perfect.
Speaker 7: So in New Zealand, KFC, like family bucket with like this two sides and the drink and stuff is like fifty four dollars. If you were to make like spaghetti and meatballs for your family of five, that would be like seventy five bucks. If you put like veggies in it and had meat and like you know, pasta and red sauce and stuff like that be seventy five.
Speaker 1: I actually know what.
Speaker 2: No, I'm actually thinking about this more. It might because listen as a guy yeap who eats a lot of fucking fast food yep, and like I'm always eating out and shit, I've actually I feel like it's I don't know you'd have this is a I don't know why I'm even in speculating about this thing, because it's an objective thing with numbers.
Speaker 1: But whatever, I hope you. I also I hope you cure world hunger.
Speaker 7: I don't want to care, and I just want to alleviate some pressure. I'll pop one pimple, but I don't want to cure all the acne. What's your name again, I'm Jake, Jake. Very nice to meet you.
Speaker 2: Ask me anything else you want to say to the people of the computer before we go.
Speaker 7: Yeah, live with the appropriate amount of fear. There is a level that's too much and there's not enough. So live with the appropriate amount of fear.
Speaker 1: N Nice to meet Jake. Nice to meet you, Jake. Thanks for sitting down and chat with men.
Speaker 5: I appreciate enjoy the rest of your time traveling.
Speaker 1: Of course, man, you take care. We did it.
Speaker 2: We're trying. Gave me some stuff to think about. I've been I've been these today. The theme of today was other people giving me gecko therapy. That was the theme of today.
Speaker 1: Holy shit.
Speaker 2: Maybe gecko therapy is not when a gecko gives you therapy, but it's therapy that is achieved by dressing up as a gecko and then talking to people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have a see man, My mind is blown by that. Hey, folks, it's Lyle again.
Speaker 2: I hope you enjoyed being out in the great universe of Uckland, New Zealand. If you enjoyed it and you want to see more IRL interviews or listen to even more interviews that I did on the streets of New Zealand. You can find the link to the full video in this episode description. And with that, let's go talk to a caller named Raydon about living more for himself.
Speaker 1: Hello.
Speaker 6: Hello, Hi, it Lyle. Oh my god, it's the Lizard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, who is this?
Speaker 4: This is Raiden?
Speaker 1: Raiden? What's up rating? What's going on with you.
Speaker 6: In bed right now? I'm kind of cleaning my.
Speaker 1: Room sort of.
Speaker 2: I sort of meant in more of a general sense in terms of, you know what it is you wanted to talk about on the phone.
Speaker 6: Oh okay, Yeah. So in like the past podcast you posted, there was someone who talked about leaving the life behind and kind of like running away to different like state mm hm. And I've also been seeing your videos where you go to different countries. It's on a whim and it's been very inspiring.
Speaker 1: Good good tell me tell me more so.
Speaker 6: So, I'm I'm a very like unconfrontational person.
Speaker 4: I don't have very good boundaries, and I I've had like a lot of the same friends for like my my like entire high school experience, and I've never set like great boundaries with them, So I find myself like excusing their behavior and taking responsibility for them, like kind of taking care of blat.
Speaker 6: Of people in my life. And I'm kind of at a cross from that crossroads, I guess, but like on and off, I'll just wonder if I could just like dip out entirely.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's get into this. Uh, give me an example.
Speaker 2: You said that you're you've been taking care of your friends and not setting boundaries.
Speaker 1: That can I hear an example of something?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 6: So you know, I have very like interconnected friend groups, and people don't get along a lot, and I find myself constantly like mediating for people, Okay, And I'm constantly trying to be like the voice of reason, and and I'm I'm like neglecting my my own because you know, I can, I have like logic out situations for people, and then I don't get to feel it myself.
Speaker 1: All right, what give me? Give me a specific example if you can.
Speaker 6: Mediate, I mean frequently, there's like one instance where okakay, so I try to combine to friend groups, which it never goes well, it's never do it if you can, And I introduce my friend's boyfriend to like my longtime friends, okay, and we we preface the situation because he's just like he's kind of goofy, and my friend doesn't take well to like people pushing boundaries.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 6: Okah was respectable, but we preface the situation with that he might do something weird, and so he pressed his We were getting gas and I was sitting in the back seat of the car and she was sitting in the passenger seat. And he got out with my friend filling his gas tank and he pressed his ass, his bare ass against the window. I'm against my window, okay, And I had to I had to, Like I didn't necessarily defend him, but I had to like explain to her like like that was just like that's how he is, you know, And I, like I had to immediate the situation.
Speaker 1: Okay, So.
Speaker 2: You're bringing up Can I be honest with you, This is funny, but you're bringing up like two separate You're bringing up like all these different variables that, in my eyes, have nothing to do with each other.
Speaker 1: Here's here's the thing. You You are in no wayship.
Speaker 2: You're not responsible for mediating you like you've given yourself this weird management job of your friends.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, you feel very responsible. Why what the fuck you. It says you're nineteen. I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 6: I don't know, because I think it stems from I feel like this, this is going to come off wrong, but I feel like emotionally intelligent, okay, and I I kind of just when I see I see things not working, and I'm like, Okay, I get help.
Speaker 1: Okay, do you actually think you can help?
Speaker 6: I feel like I do. And that's the thing that's the problem, because then people come to rely on.
Speaker 5: Me.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 6: I feel like people have like like historically have like taken advantage of my historically, but like in my path have taken advantage of that. And I'm kind of just at a point where it's like, I think it'd be silly if I just like left everything.
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean this, There's there's so much going on here that I'm trying to think about trying to connect friend groups. You're trying to be the voice of reason.
Speaker 1: I guess. I guess.
Speaker 2: What I can't get over is why do you feel this like compulsion to do this?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I have this like dire need to feel like wanted, I guess, and I like I feel like I need to make a place like sil Roll because that maybe I feel like there's not enough of me here to like be wanted, so I feel like I have to like take care of people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, I'm like an eldest child, so I'm like.
Speaker 1: That makes sense.
Speaker 2: You have this desire, you have this desire to be the mom of the group because it gives you some role to me.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, that's fair. I have that. Well, here's the thing the.
Speaker 2: Groups has the group asked for you to be the mom? No, okay, then don't do it. I don't like tell people what to do, but I'm gonna tell you what to do.
Speaker 1: Don't do it. Stop stop what you're doing.
Speaker 3: I I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't like this because you're not responsible for any of this, and you're certainly not responsible for it if it's at your own. You're doing a thing that nobody asked you to do, that you don't even like doing. Why are you doing it? What is this?
Speaker 1: What have you mentally trapped yourself in for no reason? Abandoned you? Know?
Speaker 6: That's that's very true.
Speaker 2: And I think go have friends, hang out with hang out with butt in window guy. And if butt and window guy gets himself into trouble for putting his button is the window. He can handle that. He doesn't need you to translate. He doesn't, Your friend doesn't. Your friends don't need you to translate them for you for them. Your friends don't need you translating them. They can just exist. And if somebody and if your friends has a problem with butt and the window friends, she can deal with it and he can deal with her having a problem with it. You don't have to do any of this, Okay, I don't have to do it. Nobody asks you to do this, and you don't have to do this. You want to fulfill that, you want to if you want to have a role to fulfill, give yourself a better one. Lots of roles that can be fulilled. Give yourself a better one than this thing.
Speaker 6: It's kind of like when like, you know, everyone's like around each other and I feel like I need to like also bring the mood up to I'd like be like a gesture of sorts.
Speaker 1: Nah fuck that.
Speaker 2: Nah. Listen, here's the thing. If you're hanging out with a bunch of people and things are awkward, I mean, go ahead and improve the vibe for you.
Speaker 1: If you're like.
Speaker 2: Talking to someone or in a group of people and the vibe is off, and you want to improve it just for the sake of whatever, and go do that, but don't do it out of some Oh it's my responsibility to make sure that.
Speaker 1: Everything vibes. You're gonna kill yourself doing that.
Speaker 6: You know that makes that makes sense?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: So you want to go off to random places and have silly little adventures.
Speaker 6: So I am. I'm I'm in like my like local music scene a little bit, and I have like, eventually I'm gonna have opportunities to like I kind of want to try and like tour with the bands, like follow them and the idea of like not not telling anyone and just like going up to like the East Coast for like two weeks at a time and just going am I A And you know, I like living more genuinely If that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yes, that does make sense.
Speaker 2: Uh. I like that. You should totally do it. Please, please do it. I really want you to, because you're not. You're dying slowly and you're only even college. What's your deal with that?
Speaker 1: What do you do?
Speaker 3: What do you do?
Speaker 6: I I just finished my first semester like a couple weeks ago, and I'm not going next semester because I was like, this is awful because I work for I work too, and I'm paying for my own college. So I'm like, if I'm not paying full attention, I'm wasting double the time because I'm working for the money to pay for college.
Speaker 3: And then.
Speaker 1: What do you what were you in college for?
Speaker 6: So I wanted to do a computer science so I could eventually get into like game development, and then my my advisors didn't know how to place me, and that got really frustrating. And then I was like, this is this really what I want to do? Or is this me like trying to cope with like getting a nine to five and trying to find the funnest nine to five I can get, like it is truly what I want to do. And I thought about it and.
Speaker 1: Not, really, God, you want you want to get into game design?
Speaker 6: That was kind of me huffing copium though I didn't like it was like the funnest nine to five I could think of, but it wasn't. It's not what I want.
Speaker 5: To do, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Okay, so what do you want to do? Let's start there.
Speaker 6: I mean, like, I love, like I want to work somewhere in music. But I also just love like, like, I want to be like a bartender. I just want to be like storied.
Speaker 1: You want to be storied? What is it what I.
Speaker 6: Want to I like? I want to be like I want to live through a lot, like not in a bad way, but I want to see a lot. Okay, and I want to talk to a lot of people. I like talking to people.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, okay, all right, we got something here, we got something. Well, there's a lot of things you can do to do that. There's a lot of things you can do to do that. You can go on you can go on workaway dot com. You can find people who are willing to give them serious you go find people who can or then to give you a bed in exchange for teaching their children math.
Speaker 1: You don't even have to know math. You can just pretend like you do their children.
Speaker 6: I could teach kids the wrong way to do it.
Speaker 2: You could, and again they won't know, and their parents they won't know because their children. So you can teach children math wrong. That's an option for you.
Speaker 6: I am.
Speaker 2: That's a great idea that I will listen. I I like your general direction because you're only nineteen. That's what I want to do too. We want to do the same thing. I'm I'm I'm also worried.
Speaker 1: How I'm going to keep making money doing that? That's what I want to do.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because it's like, you know, am I like trying to find ways to fund my life?
Speaker 3: Is that?
Speaker 6: Is that inherently like me trying to create some dis genuous like purpose or I'm like distracting myself from what I'm I want to actually do?
Speaker 2: Hold on, what do you want to actually do? You just told me what you want to ask you? Well, how is this a distraction?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 6: No, no, like like like like the like the game design thing.
Speaker 1: Oh do you care about games?
Speaker 6: I like games, but it's not like what I want to do with my life.
Speaker 3: That was the.
Speaker 2: Way I stop. Stop stop stop going to college?
Speaker 1: What am I doing?
Speaker 2: What? Don't tell people to stop going I mean, now you know what, you know what? Stop going to college. I'm gonna tell you what to do. I have my whole show.
Speaker 1: I don't pop what to do.
Speaker 2: Okay, good, don't go. I'm going to tell people what I'm gonna you know, I'm gonna start telling people what to do.
Speaker 1: This is a new guy. This is twenty twenty. Twenty twenty three is the year that therapy get go. Just lose this.
Speaker 2: I will lose all of my restraint. I've practiced the restraint and not telling people what to do and now law and I'm getting rid of it and I'm telling everyone what to do. Now I'm telling you what to do.
Speaker 6: Don't He's great.
Speaker 2: Don't spend a bunch of money because here's what the thing you're working, you're saving money.
Speaker 1: It's a great thing to do.
Speaker 2: Keep doing that because you can spend the money that you were gonna spend.
Speaker 1: I mean, you should get some skills and yeah, I.
Speaker 6: Like, I like just like knowing a lot of stuff. Like I want to I want to be able to like make drinks and I want to build, like cook, but I also want to be able to play music and I want to just be like a jack of all trades, if that makes sense.
Speaker 2: But you can do all that shit on YouTube. Don't pay money to learn how to do game design.
Speaker 1: Go on YouTube. Do you know a guy named Toby Fox? You know who that Toby Fox?
Speaker 2: Toby. I don't know what his background did, what's his background? Did he go to college? Guy makes some funk in college. I think he makes video games and his mom's but he made a whole video game.
Speaker 1: They just did it. You can make video games. Go make a video game. You don't need to give a college. You need to give.
Speaker 2: Colleges are run by Like what does a sixty year old man know about making video games?
Speaker 1: You're gonna pay exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't don't go to college. Don't do that. Okay, all right, you're not going to go to college and you want to explore the universe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, And.
Speaker 6: Just like just like get some because I'm trying to like get to greater understanding.
Speaker 3: How much money?
Speaker 1: How much money do you have? Do you have any money?
Speaker 6: I have?
Speaker 3: So I don't.
Speaker 6: I have around like three thousand dollars right now because I'm paying off college still my first time at home.
Speaker 2: How much whole time? How much debt do you have with? Okay, all right, I.
Speaker 1: Want to get paid off now.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I get paid off. I'm just paying off an increment so I don't have to spend a huge time of my money.
Speaker 1: Okay, you see shillings, you're you're you. That's easy. And your dodge, that's a good thing.
Speaker 6: I have that I have very low commitment to things right now. So it's like I'm trying to figure out.
Speaker 2: What. All right, so you've eight hundred dollars left of debt and you said you're what are you going full time in doing?
Speaker 6: I work at a sandwich shop.
Speaker 4: I'm not going to say the name, but okay, how's it going at the sandwich shop?
Speaker 6: I want a shift lead and I think people are going to be leaving soon, so I might try and leverage that into more pay.
Speaker 1: How's it going? In general? Is the job like? Is the job?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: You know? Is it toiling upon you? It?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 6: It's serving its purpose right now? I think where like, I'm making money and I'm not like, I don't want to die while I do it. I'm not like, I'm not like joyous, Yeah while I'm putting let us in your sandwich, but I'm not gonna.
Speaker 1: Like but it doesn't make you want to.
Speaker 6: Die freak out? Yeah?
Speaker 1: All right? Okay, all right? And then your your debt is gonna get is not that bad? And then do you live? Where do you live? Do you live with your parents? I live in Illinois?
Speaker 6: I live in I love my parents.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, it's sick, all right, save up. Here's here's what I would do I think if I were ill. Well, you said you want to be a bartender?
Speaker 6: Yeah, just like that just seems fun. It seems like I don't know, I can be like this cool.
Speaker 1: Go Have you ever made drinks before or done anything or done any of that.
Speaker 6: I mean, I'm nineteen, so whatever we get our hands on is usually the vibe.
Speaker 2: You know, I forgot I forgot you, all right, So you still have two years before you can even do that. Here's what I would think, what I would do to tell please, I want to hear more of your dreams.
Speaker 6: I want to try and do comedy at some point too. Okay, I enjoy it. I enjoyed making people laugh.
Speaker 1: Comedy is fine. Comedy school I liked.
Speaker 2: I liked comedy because it was this is just it was a great way to make friends. I mean a lot of good friends and had a lot of h fun memories from doing comedy. And and now and now I don't. I don't do comedy anymore, but I do my Little Gecko Tours, which is like my version of that. And that's a that's a lot of fun. It's a good way to do the thing that you're talking about. So, okay, I'm trying to think about you. All right, the sandwich job is serving its purpose. You got three thousand dollars, you don't have any debt, you live with your parents. Okay, keep saving up money. Well, let me tell you. Let me ask you this question.
Speaker 1: Where do you want to go?
Speaker 2: Like, all right, you want to go see the world and do crazy things. Where do you want to go the most?
Speaker 1: Right now? What's what's the number? What is number one on the bucket list of places?
Speaker 6: I mean, I think right now, it might just be like I have family in Colorado, so I could go there. I have I have a friend that I might be moving out to Portland soon and I might just follow him.
Speaker 1: Oh so you gonna you want to move?
Speaker 6: I temp maybe temporarily, just like just get away from the Midwest for a little bit.
Speaker 1: Do you think?
Speaker 2: Is how easy is it to find a job? What can the sandwich shop transfer you? Is it?
Speaker 1: Chain?
Speaker 6: I you know what I'll have to ask because I probably probably could soon. Okay, Yeah, I mean I'm just just going full time now, so I probably could figure something out if I wanted to.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 2: I think your idea of saving up money and going on adventures when you can, and then when you run out of money, you return to another place and get a bartending gig there and make some money and then go on another adventure.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 2: I've talked to a lot of people that have successfully done that.
Speaker 1: I think you can do that too.
Speaker 2: And you need to stop pretending to be the mom of the friend group. That's not going to get you to it's not even get you remotely close to any of these things that you've talked about, So please stop doing that. I will don't go to college, make sandwiches and look old ladies in the face and say hello to them. You have a good Yeah, you'll be fine. We're both gonna be fine. That's what I'm learning over the course of this guy.
Speaker 6: We're gonna do We're gonna do great things.
Speaker 1: Okay, I appreciate that. I appreciate that I'm in this with you.
Speaker 2: I love you, Lyle Hey, stay stay clean, raiding, don't do any hard drugs.
Speaker 6: Oh, I'm straight edge.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's good to hear. All Right, I'll talk to you soon. Raydon. Good luck to you, you too.
Speaker 6: Good luck.
Speaker 2: Week goes on the line, making your phone calls every night every week, and goes to what was teaching you loudmy Life.
Speaker 3: He's not really an expert.