Speaker 1: I'm Rose dam you and I'm fran Torado. Welcome to Like a Virgin, the podcast for perverts, nerds and transsexuals is our work. People who are all three and people who are all three. Intersectionality is important. I think that that must be said.
Speaker 2: Rose.
Speaker 1: You know we're gonna have a bit of a chatty episode this week because well, first of all, doll Invasion, I'm a little underwater, but also, yes, homework for the virgins. I watched Jane Shun Bruns Shun and Bruns is that It Show? And brun Jay showing Bruns film sex and Death at Camp Miasma.
Speaker 2: I watched Greg Iaki's I Want Your Sex, and now we each need to see the opposite thing. So we're giving that's homework for us and also for you virgins, because next week we're gonna go where I'm like, even though I haven't seen teen sex yet, I know I'm gonna have a lot to say about it, and I have a lot to say about I Want Your Sex, and I have a feeling it will be similar for you on the other side of things, so we're gonna dive deep into those next week. But yes, today is gonna be a little bit chatty, like a little like kind of girls girling. Fran and I like we have seen each other recently, but haven't really like well, actually we were. We were this weekend at Dollswick. We did at one point like fully lay down in Jordan's bed and like and key. So I guess it's not true that we haven't been like keying recently, but we know what we haven't done. I think in our new era of like a virgin, we have really been wanting to do these like like we've been preparing a lot for the episodes, like writing a lot of notes, doing deep dives again, but we actually like haven't done just like a shit it posty, shit talking gossip session episode in a while. So I'm didn't we aren't these referred to as girls girls girling?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's girls girling. Yeah, the girls grolling episode including a maybe a conversation about a game of friends.
Speaker 2: Well, yet, I do think we should like get through the finale of House of the Dragon because it also I think it does kind of tie into me filling you in on what's going on in my life, because I went to a House of the Dragon event last night to watch the finale.
Speaker 1: I didn't even know it was the finale. First of all. I also thought it was the series finale. I did not realize that we have another season.
Speaker 2: Or season left, and honestly we have. We have so much of the bookstory left to go. Then I'm like, how are they going to cram it all into the final season because it's not just it's not just the end of the you know, collision between Rainier and Egon, Like, there's a whole the war keeps going after that is kind of figured out, and then there's all the fallout from the war. So there's a lot to get through in the next season. I don't know how they're gonna do it. But but before we talk about the finale, let me tell you. I got invited a couple of days ago by HBO to this private dinner. It's part of this new series they're doing, I guess called Sunday Supper.
Speaker 1: It was a dinner. It was a dinner.
Speaker 2: I was not allowed to bring up plus one because it was a very exclusive none of none of us were allowed to bring plus one.
Speaker 1: So that's why I didn't bring you with me.
Speaker 2: Otherwise I was not available anyways. Yeah, Okay, so it all worked out, So it all worked out. It was at Angel Orsan's Foundation, which for listeners who don't live in New York City or have never been, is this like former church that is now like a very bougie event venue. I've been to one thing there before. It was a private dinner cooked for us by a chef from I don't know. Some restaurant did.
Speaker 1: The sort of mead and turkey legs. There was mead, there was heat, there was literally me we we came in.
Speaker 2: It was this like gorgeous cathedral. The They have the iron throne there, so I got to take a photo in it, which did away did you for for HBO to send me?
Speaker 1: And did you but prick your finger only gently?
Speaker 2: I actually was kind of giving the swords a hand job, of course, so they weren't They weren't actual iron, It was plastic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sorry to blow up their spot. Honestly, you're gonna get sued for that.
Speaker 2: There was also a string quartet playing the game of Throne score. There were like cocktails, like cocktails like I was drinking the Sunfire's Turn cocktail, which was like basically like a like a moscow mule with smoke like dried ice in it, so it was like smoking ice.
Speaker 1: I did spill a drink at one point, like I felt bad about can you uh in terms of like what it looked like, was this kind of the drink falls and to the full gravity all the way to the floor or did you spill it just on the table while you were sitting.
Speaker 2: So I spilled it on the floor and on someone's shoe to be fair, like they the shoes were cute, but I didn't feel super bad about it. Like if someone had spilled or drink on the shoes I was wearing my Antimla mister boots, I would have had something to say.
Speaker 1: But do you the glass? Did the glass fall as well? Did you cast did not fall as well?
Speaker 2: I was like trying to get something out of my purse and just like most of my drinks spilled on the floor.
Speaker 1: Whatever. It was fine.
Speaker 2: I got to meet some some it was like all influences and like, you know, I actually don't really understand why I was there because I would imagine like I.
Speaker 1: Was sitting across like influencer adjacent.
Speaker 2: I know, but I was sitting across from someone who has a million Instagram followers, one million wow, one million.
Speaker 1: It was funny.
Speaker 2: Like a lot of the other people, they were like, Hi, I'm an actor and content creator.
Speaker 1: I sorry, I'm so sorry. Who in the right mind would ever identify as a content creator or an influencer? Honestly, Like that's a slur. People who do that as a job and are proud of it, but say or something else, just say you're an artist, Like I'd rather you.
Speaker 2: I think that's why people say actor, like actor and filmmaker and content creator right right, right, right right. Well, it's like, so what did you want to be before you figured out the best you were going to do is like making not to detegrate any of these people as well.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean they're going to make way more money, oh so much more money, so you know, And I was still the best dressed, so yeah, of course you were, girl. I mean, like.
Speaker 2: Anyway, So there was like a seven course tasting menu. We had like these gigantic oysters full of fish eggs topped with like tomato pure. It was really good. There was a dragon egg dessert. The show runner, Ryan Condall was there, the showrunner and serious creator.
Speaker 1: Which one is he? In the inside the episode, he's the bald one okay, and that he's the he's the most he had shown.
Speaker 2: He's the he's the he created the show. And then the actor who plays Roddy the Ruin was also there and so he's was the old.
Speaker 1: Guy who killed Tower and he.
Speaker 2: Was it was really fun to watch his spoiler death scene with him.
Speaker 1: And then the people.
Speaker 2: Who host the House of the Dragon podcast were there and they did like little interview Q and a session with them. Afterwards, we had like a good night cocktail. They gave us some swag I have. I have a Baccarat crystal goblet. Oh that's with it with a etching that says win or die on it. I also got a hand of the Queen pen which I'm very excited to like put on a jacket or something. And it was a it was a fun night. But let's let's talk about the episode.
Speaker 1: Because I have two things, Okay. One this is not a question, it's comment. I used to say that Moscow mules are my favorite drink. I actually think they're bad and I don't like them.
Speaker 2: I love a Moscow mule. I think Ginger the vodka I think.
Speaker 1: I'm taking a hard turn. I love Ginger beer. I love ginger in general, and I think there's something about like it even as a winter drink, which I think it is actually firmly an autumn winter and drink, And people that service for Servant in the summer are kind of crazy. But it's so refreshed, I know. But it's traditionally served.
Speaker 2: In one of those tin cups, Like it did feel wrong last night to drink what was essentially a Moscow mule, but not in a tin cup.
Speaker 1: Not in a tin cup. I will also say I hate tasting menus. It's never not food. I'm always starving.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say, let's just say my guts were bubbling on the way home. I thought maybe I had to eat in the lettuce. That makes you shit yourself.
Speaker 1: Oh oh oh, it's like it sounds like King's Landing is dealing with a food quality issue. Well they're broke as fuck. Okay.
Speaker 2: That kind of segues us nicely into our discussion of the episode, because it is the funniest move ever for Raniera to be broke as fuck but have such intense post nut clarity that the morning after she has her sneaky link sent out of the city with enough gold to by herself a Manson Pento. She was like, Okay, the crown has no coin, but I gotta get this bitch out of here.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Crazy. Honestly, I would be so grateful if I was her, I know, I know, like that the arc of what is her name? My my Saria homegirl? I love her rooting for sex workers, former sex workers. But if I was her, I'd be so relieved.
Speaker 2: I'd be like, Okay, well, clearly she wasn't because she's sticking around.
Speaker 1: She's sticking around. She's in love. She's in love, right, I think that's clear. No, that she's in love with r I don't think that. No, she's pissed at Raniera. And well she's pissed to you. Can you pissed as somebody?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean yeah, I think she is. I think she was genuinely very heartbroken when when uh Alyssa Alyssa Massey, who's Raniera's like lady in waiting, like when to tell her cocky by number two, give her her disagreement, gave her her walking papers like I'm top dog.
Speaker 1: Now and at the end and in one hour you will be logged out of your Gmail.
Speaker 2: Oh that's literally what it was.
Speaker 1: Giving. Oh my god. She walked up and she was just like, so these are your terms. Wait, here's your non disclosure.
Speaker 2: No, it was the Lady in waiting was literally and Hathaway in that meme of her on drag Race looking like an looking like an HR executive.
Speaker 1: She was HR. Wow. Yeah, and that was tough to that was stone cold, yeah, stone cold. But yeah, she's sticking around and you're also murdered the pope. Murdered the Pope really sickening. Honestly, I loved it, but I love when people are I love when Catholic and Christian figures are under duress.
Speaker 2: I loved it also, but you know, it was a bad move. It was a bad It was a bad move politically because I think what we really see by the end of the episode, and what I'm interested to see play out next season, is like the small folk, they have had it and she just killed their religious leader, stood up in front of them, called herself the prince who was promised, very embarrassing for her, and told them about this ransom vague threat in the north, and then spoken high Valerian like she could not have made herself more of like more separate from the people when the whole her whole thing is like Ranier was the realm's delight, that's what they called her, and now she's squandered all that goodwill.
Speaker 1: She's a fool. Well, she's not a fool, she's like paranoid. I think I think she has I think now she is actually into full territory. I think this episode, even though she's always been impulsive, this episode was a very like fuck it on another level. I am going to make decisions, I know, to be reckless.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, she was so destabilized from finding out that Eggon was back.
Speaker 1: She was like I like she was crying to Damon.
Speaker 2: She's like, yeah, she was like husbunk husbunkle please.
Speaker 1: I mean she helped me. She was humiliated.
Speaker 2: It is she was at her lowest, fat, nasty, and broke. She came on this dragon mad as hell.
Speaker 1: She came on this dragon mad as hell. And and not just that, she took a fucking you know bella lash, cut it into six pieces and glued two right under her eye. What's up with her eye makeup? It was such a bizarre choice from the makeup directors that like I understood and also did it like I was like, I understand that we aesthetically are now seeing full tyrant Rania, like well full authoritarian and like fascist fascist Ranera, like that is clear, and so I think they were kind of like, hm, but she needs a makeover.
Speaker 2: So she got a makeover. But they were like, let's give her a nineteen twenties ass, like tiny lash in the middle of her eye.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like what the It was like fucking glam netics, like just right there. I was like, this is crazy, but I didn't hate it. It was a little evil, like it was severe, It was a little It was a little evil, and I.
Speaker 2: Like, well, between I think her making Alan stab the Pope, yeah, her confrontation with Bayla who needs a gun.
Speaker 1: Yes, and confrontation with pregnant homegirl Oracle.
Speaker 2: The scene between Helena and Raniera made me so sad, like when Helena said when she was talking about the beetle and she was like everything thing you love is ugly, like cleared her ass, and then Raniera makes the force feed her.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. It made me so sad. It also reminded me.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you ever watched the HBO original movie Iron Jawed Angels about the Suffragette movement, but there's a similar scene in that featuring Hilary Swank getting force fed food. But I hated it made me so so oh yeah, Maddy's secret down.
Speaker 1: I yeah, so that then also, okay, Raniera did that. Ranier also then she severanced her her you know, her side piece. She does this speech. Wait, there was like one other crazy things she did. Oh who is this child? That was actually I need some of the explain who's this child that's now her?
Speaker 2: What that is Jeffrey? He is her the youngest of her sons, her bastard well her bastard sons, and then she has the only children she has left, or her two sons with Damon, who we haven't seen since the first season. But they will need they will need to at least bring one of them into the final season because he becomes very plot significant. So yeah, that was her son who is now her heir. And he looked so unimpressed with everything she was telling him. He was like, where's my iPad?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Literally, like literally like rianiro was like, okay, this is my next plan, and it's like truly, so yeah, it's just feeling so dark. That's why I was like I was like, this feels like the final season to me, I can't believe that there's a whole other season of this.
Speaker 2: No, there's so much left. We said goodbye to some divas, most notably Ormond High Tower, who's so gay. He got stabbed to death in the ass. Yeah, and then went up in flames. That's about the gayest day you can have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and was giving. It was a really good yet really good death scene. So good.
Speaker 2: It was amazing that he that, Like it was so satisfying because he was such a like tyrant all season, so for him to have such a satisfying death with Roddy the Ruin laughing behind him as the dragon burned their asses.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's so sick, really really fierce, Like, uh, I love that death. Helena. Helena's death, as we said earlier, I actually don't get it. I know it's been explained as kind of like, oh, she knows that her life is just always going to be like this, and so she should kill herself. And it's like, no, your mom could come back, but do you not want to stay alive for your mom? No?
Speaker 2: Because her mom. This season we spent watching her like start hating her mother. Because her mom was like, get aboard the kid, We've all done it.
Speaker 1: She doesn't, she knows.
Speaker 2: And and then I think the final betrayal was when she realized that Alison lied about having the kid meet them when they were going.
Speaker 1: To escape the palace, like, oh wait, I miss that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And the remember when they got stuck in the hallways behind the palace when they were trying to escape. Alison had told Helena to get her to agree to it, that they were going to that someone was going to meet them with her daughter, And then she realized that Allison was lying about it. So I think that was the straw that broke the dragons back.
Speaker 1: She was like, I have no one here. I'd no one here.
Speaker 2: She had like the prophecies she had, you know, we saw in her dreams in the last episode, like she had all these fantasies of ways that this could work out, Like she could be, you know, off living with her children, with some chickens. She could get on her dragon and Dracaris her way out of King's Landing. And really the only thing that was left to her was to kill herself. And that's so sad and devastating and like it says so much about this world that like, the one person who kind of had a bird's eye view of it who knew what was coming, was like, out, where is her dragon? Her dragon is in the dragon pit, which will also become significant next season.
Speaker 1: You are fortunately almost spoiling things. Honestly, you better watch it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not saying anything. Well, I'm sorry, I'm not saying anything. This is an adaptation of a novel, so it's also going to change. Many things can change. Okay, what were some other moments of the episode. I really liked the scene with Alice the Witch at Heronhall and aimoned that is some backstory that is not in the book. So this is a show invention, but like it very much is plausible, and I thought it was really interesting and it was nice to see her like being vulnerable. The scene with Agon and aimed, like, uh, his line delivery of I'm alive, it was so incredible.
Speaker 1: It's so crazy how we went from really hating this character to like, actually now at this point in the show, I'm on his team.
Speaker 2: People were cheering for him at this event last night, and I was like, well, you're cheering for Agon.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 2: He's such a he is. She is being played. The actor is really compelling. It's a really good performance and I get it like they have. They this season has done a really good job to make Team Green more sympathetic through Aimened and Agon and even Darren a little bit, and to make to really show us.
Speaker 1: How fallible Rnier is. Nevertheless, I'm with her. You're still with Rania?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Wow, she's the She is not the prince that was promised, but she's the queen.
Speaker 1: She needs to transition. That is her throne. Oh my god, this lot could have been solved. It could have been solved literally, sorry literally, could have been so easy for her him a couple things that Ryan Condall told us last night that I just thought were interesting.
Speaker 2: So this the season three. They shot for three hundred and eighty one days. That's my god, over a year for one season of television. The Battle at Tumbleton took forty one days to shoot, The Battle of the Gullet was about thirty and Helena her death, the scene where she's dead was her last scene that she filmed, and then she had to say goodbye to everybody with that prosthetic spike sticking out of her neck, which I thought, Oh my god, cute, But what did you think of the season as a whole?
Speaker 1: I thought that, like every season of House a Dragon in Game of Throw, there are going to be episodes that are just tons of exposition and moving things along and like people talking to each other, which is my least favorite genre of fantasy. But I had this thought last night while I was watching it, where I was kind of like, if I were to compare House of Dragon to Game of Thrones, I ultimately enjoy the containment of the story of House of Dragon and how the story truly zooms in on a relatively singular goal, Like, yes, it is once again a Game of Thrones, but there's there's so much I love having to focus in on a smaller world. And I also really love all of the different ways that the working class are brought into the story and the characters that are kind of representing those values or that this kind of like group of people are like in the episode I do come on working Families, Party of West ROAs. Yes, literally that. How do you feel ultimately about the season.
Speaker 2: I liked it much more than last season. Yes, I think it was a lot darker. The characters got more complex, there were things I didn't like that. I just you know, Allison in the source material, Like at this point, Allison is not part of the story, so everything they've done with her is a show invention. I just think they like don't really know what to do with her. So that's kind of a bummer. Otherwise, I thought this was a really good season. Lots of dragons, yeah, lots of gay guys.
Speaker 1: I'm reading the dragons and the gay guys and that's it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I got GWayne lost two tops this season. He lost Kristen Cole and his cousin. He and he's already dead at this point in the book, so who knows what's going to happen to him?
Speaker 1: Right? GWayne is gay? Right? He is gay? Confirmed? He's gay. Love that. Yeah. He He is definitely my favorite twink and on the show he's a good twink in general.
Speaker 2: Grey Freddy, uh, Freddy Fox or something, I don't I don't know his name, it's Freddy something, right, He's hot. He was also in the Netflix Sandman Show in which he's gay with Jeffrey from Game of Thrones. No way, Jeffrey one of they're gay for each other. One of the most upsetting villains in the History of humanity Jeoffrey. Yeah, in such a Sandman, he's Puck whoa And.
Speaker 1: I couldnt really.
Speaker 2: What's his face? The twink is Loki and.
Speaker 1: I could not really get into Sandmon. I tried watching the first episode and I was like, I don't really want to watch a show that's essentially like a surrealist poem. You know what I mean? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And you know what now you never have to because Neil Gayman sucks, babe.
Speaker 1: If I wanted to watch a surrealist poem, I'd be go seeing Cats on Broadway.
Speaker 2: Okay, which is now closed, which is crazy. It's actually psycho like, how the fuck? Although they are still recording an original Broadway cast album.
Speaker 1: Thanks that news. I think that's so fierce. I'm so excited to hear Chastity more on the track there. I did see uh. I did see the performance again and the and Grizabella was played by the understudy who was name unfortunately escaped me at this time, but she tore so good. I'm so sorry that I can't remember your name. I will maybe link.
Speaker 2: Is she the diva who had kind of like the alto voice. It was like one of the side characters when we saw.
Speaker 1: It, poss I can't uh possibly, yes, I honestly should remember, but I bring it up to say that it is like disappointing that like Broadway still has never really figured out like how to finance shows that are actually successful, like you know what I mean. Like that's like the problem with most shows on Broadway is even if a show is filling ninety eight percent of its audience every night, which like it was true for Cats at a certain point in time, it still ultimately can't fund itself if the math isn't mathing and if like sales started to decline and so yeah, Broadway shows have to be one hundred percent profitable to survive. The under study's name is Garnette Williams and she was a fucking bomb. Loved her, but uh yeah, I'm like I had a really bizarre experience a couple like a week and a half ago, as my friend brought me to a dinner that their family had wanted an action at Vanessa Williams house.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I mean I didn't know about I know about this, but I haven't like gotten the full story from you, So please please go.
Speaker 1: The honestly, like what can I even say. We drove to where she lives in, you know, I think Bedford, New York or something like that. You know, the door opens and it's Vanessa Williams in a sun dress and flip flops, and I'm like, oh my god, this is so crazy. And we had dinner with ten or twelve people, and all of them were Broadway producers, every single one of them. And it was really interesting to hear them all discuss, ultimately what is the same issue, all of them understanding that they, yes, do theater as a passion, like yes, not every project they invest in is going to be lucrative, and also like it has to make ends meet, and them negotiating like how they decide to finance shows and blah blah blah blah. It was really really interesting to hear, especially with like Venessa Williams, like sitting right there. She had multiple portraits of herself in her house, fabulous one of her which was like a commissioned painting of her as the witch and in the woods looking so oh my god. I literally used her toilet. I farted in her toilet. It was so beautiful. I've never been happier. Honestly, we all talked about what our first Broadway shows were, and even though technically it would be Wicked, because I saw it in Chicago, like the Broadway Rendition in Chicago. Yeah, but that's not that's not that's not Broadway. It doesn't count. Well, see that's what I said. But then the Broadway producers were like, that's Broadway, that's Broadway, and I was like, no, it's not. The first show I saw on broad Away in New York was How to Succeed in Business Without really Trying, starring Daniel d Cliff. Did you know? I did not know that. Yeah, it was incredible. I never saw that production, but it was really good. There's a dance break in that that Daniel Radcliffe like, it's so delicious. He's so good. But yeah, I on the state of Broadway cats, et cetera. I really don't know why it's going away. I think it's confusing. It's not that it can't be that expensive to make.
Speaker 2: M I think it's I think it's expensive to produce any Broadway show. But I would imagine that, you know, I would say that like the musicals with less uh inclusive casts seemed to run longer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, I don't even know what's on Broadway right now, Like, oh, I really want to see the Lost Boys musical. I know that seems so your tea and O shade it down.
Speaker 2: I'm and it's like vampire music between that and The Vampire lest At.
Speaker 1: Oh when I I.
Speaker 2: Just like a an update. I rewatched The Vampire lest At all the way through and I liked it more of the second time. But I think all my all my thoughts still stand. But the music from it is the vampirelest that will be in my Spotify wrap this year.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, are you serious? Yeah? I listened to it all the time. It's so good. Have you also been cranking Hades from the Odyssey from Christopher Nolans Odyssey soundtrack? I did.
Speaker 2: I did think about putting it on a sex playlist, right.
Speaker 1: It's pretty dark for a sex playlist, but also not No, it's giving sex. In my opinion, it is giving sex.
Speaker 2: I kind of want to tell my role play story, but I feel like that's for the Patreon.
Speaker 1: No, I think that's for the Patreon.
Speaker 2: I think that which is a good reason for you to subscribe to our patreon at patreon dot com.
Speaker 1: Slash like a Vision where we like to share disgusting little sex stories. I mean, I'm a married woman now, so I don't have well, you're married to Jesus. I'm married to Jesus. Uh, so I don't have as much crazy sex anymore. That isn't with my betrothed Jesus Jesus. But yeah, I honestly have to say virgins. I've been so happy with all of the episodes that I've been so happy with the deep diving we've been doing on recent episodes, like Rosa and I have so much fun nerding out on some of these things. We are like, as we said, back and better than ever. Uh. Because Rose and I are very busy this month, we're like, you know, recording some of the bonus episodes like in between Moments before Doll Invasion. But I have to say, if you can rate the show five stars on Spotify or iTunes, please do that. You have no idea actually how much it really could help. And also just recommend the podcast to friends. That's like the biggest possible thing you could do is just for word of mouth.
Speaker 2: And if you also want to you know, sweeten the deal with your mouth, yeah, and get them to listen. Yeah, I'm not telling you to do it, but I'm I wouldn't mind.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't mind. I want to know if you have seen any like kind of older, any movies lately that are like not recent and coming out. I feel like I have one on my letterbox. Uh yes, okay, I finally watched Titan Oh. I've always been scared to watch it. The only thing I know is that somebody fucks a car and gets pregnant with a car. It was. You will not be surprised to learn that I've loved it. It's very trans. I have heard that.
Speaker 2: Because the star of the movie, who is a serial killer who gets pregnant with a car's baby, has to run away and go undercover as this guy's long lost son, and she's like binding her breast and her pregnant stomach and so like it was. The film had so many interesting things to say about, like masculinity and like the way it's performed. And I also think like there is definitely a trans narrative.
Speaker 1: There's like people say that a lot about Tatane.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like even maybe not like specifically like trans in our current conception of it, but because it's a French film, but I think like it's about gender for sure, and like gender performance, Like because the idea of a car, you know, this kind of ultimate symbol of a specific type of masculinity, like being fucked by it, becoming pregnant with it, transform like because of that, transforming into a man, while you're also a serial killer who uses a very phallic weapon to murder people, but also a very feminine weapon. Her murder weapon is a titanium chopstick that she uses to put up her hair, So it's like at once it's it's this weapon that she's using to penetrate people in this very like masculine way, but it's this object of very feminine adornment. So it's just like that is the kind of thing that the movie explores. I think it's so interesting and sexy and weird.
Speaker 1: I mean, if Donna Harroway has anything to say about it, all cyborg stories are trans, you know what I mean, Like Terminator, trans Transformers, Well, Transformers is not sidebarcs. They're just pure machines. Maybe Transformers is not trans, but there's trans in the name. It's trans. It's trans. Yeah, that's all it takes. Yeah, if you transform into something that's trans period. Yeah, I don't know if I'll ever watch it. You should everyone, So would you get save five stars? I gave it. I don't, and that's what it's giving to me. No, it's not.
Speaker 2: It's really well, I think because maybe it's in French and it has serious themes, but like it's also really fun and weird, and I think just for the trans stuff, you should watch it.
Speaker 1: I hate movies. I feel like homeworks are it's really is not.
Speaker 2: I had it on my watch list for so long, and I think I felt the same way that you do, because I put off watching it forever and I even started to watch it a month ago and it was on to be and the first time a commercial came on, I was like, nope, I'm out. But then I'm so happy that I went back and watched it because it's so good. But you know what, you don't have to watch it if you don't want to.
Speaker 1: I you know, after seeing Sex deathic Cam Sex and deathic Cami as my thing, I'm I'm my quota for homework movies.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, well that's very intrigued for discussion next day.
Speaker 1: I bet that because you're a contrarian you're gonna love it. Well, love I loved I saw the TV glow right.
Speaker 2: Even though I had problems with it, I still really liked it. But you know what I saw what Muriel's Wedding something I still have not seen Girl Tony possibly possibly better than The Odyssey, possibly better than up ton Girls.
Speaker 1: That's a tall order. Yeah. I tried watching this film like almost ten years ago with an ex who it was like their favorite movie and I felt like the the for the Virgins. Muriel's Wedding is about a girl that lives in like podunk Nowhere, Australia. She has a bunch of friends from high school that are like extremely extremely mean to her, and the rest of the film is her kind of not necessarily come up in but she kind of like goes on her own journey to like make meaning of a new life after coming in after bagging some cash. But the initial scenes of this movie are some I'm not going to lie. I know it's a comedy, but I found the initial scenes of the high school bullying to be really brutal, like really really really sad. And I remember that's when the first time I tried to watch it. That's why I turned off. I was like, I actually don't think I will enjoy this movie and place in Australia, right, it's the most Australian. Why I can't watch it. That's too much Australian accents for me.
Speaker 2: By the titles go on, Yeah, no, I would have to watch the film on silent with subtitles.
Speaker 1: The place she lives in is called pap and Okay, but I watched it again, fell in love five stars. Absolutely adored this movie. But the opening scene again so so devastating to watch her be treated by these mean high school girls. I shed h two huge, giant, big fat tears because Tony Compelling, Tony Compelly, Tony Collette is so compelling, she's so like we should name her, rename her Tony Compelling, Tony Compelling. She's so fucking devastating. And I was inspired to watch it because it's another work that John Early cites a lot in terms of like inspiration for his work and Maddi's Secret, and you can really see a version of the thing that Maddy's Secret Maddy's Secret does where it's like hard, hard comedy punctuated with really abrupt, sharp turns of like devastating emotional sincerity.
Speaker 2: I love that and I have always wanted to watch it. I'm I actually don't know why I didn't watch it when I was writing Best Woman, when I was like watching so many rom coms about weddings.
Speaker 1: The ending is so satiating because the characters arc has a discovery about herself that is so actually more valuable than anything I've ever done, with like eight months of AMDR therapy that I like, actually, I was like, I'm done with this and like, actually Mural's wedding fixed me up more like I was like, this is some real, like therapized human shit. Well, I love that you. It gave you all this emotional catharsis. Yeah, it was beautiful. There's also in an unexpected place. I love when that happens. There's also a character introduced toward the end of the film that's extremely hot in a in a kind of nineties gay porn way, and I think you'll enjoy that.
Speaker 2: Okay, I am sure I will. On the related note about being moved nearly to tears for me, I recently I decided I wanted to go back and read a bunch of classic X Men comics, so I downloaded the X men Omnibus number one. This is the Chris Claremont era and it's the introduction of a lot of iconic mutants. So I was reading the comic panel where Storm is first introduced, and like it legitimately gagged me and like I.
Speaker 1: Like kind of choked up. Oh, I was like that.
Speaker 2: I was like, it was so incredible to see this iconic character who I love so much be introduced for the first time, and like I'd like you I had, you know, heard all these things, like I knew all this lore about her, which is that she was worshiped as a goddess in Africa, and when Professor X found her and was like, actually you're a mutant. Come be part of my paramilitary squad. But actually seeing it, like the opening scene of her is like her like these village, these villagers like coming and beseeching her for rain for their crops, and.
Speaker 1: Like it's just was just so fucking cool. That sounds cool. I mean, uh, Storm halle Berry has like was iconic as Storm, but like I would I think anybody would watch us Storm series, we have not.
Speaker 2: I think as much as I love halle Berry as Storm, like I really want especially now that we're we've seen the introduction of young Jean Gray and we've gotten more confirmed casting for X Men. Kit Connor is going to play Cyclops, and so I'm really hoping that we get a young Storm who we really get to see come into her own. The rumor is that again, as we said last week, Jane Lawson is rumored to be playing her, and I really hope that happens. I'm just so excited to see a new incarnation of Storm.
Speaker 1: I mean Storm, honestly everybody's favorite X Men. Sorry, I'm sorry to Cyclops slash Kick. Connors is boring as fun. He's the worst. He's the worst X Men.
Speaker 2: I mean he's good because of the drama that he's involved in, you know, like because of like the love triangle. Well really it's because of his presence and two iconic love triangles him Emma Frost, Jean Gray, and then him Jean Gray Wolverine. So's he's messy boots, which we love, but he is very boring.
Speaker 1: He is just I hate any character that's like the auto leader, you know what I mean, Like it's it's unclear like how he has like been. I know that he was like the first recruit or whatever. But I'm just like, stop bossing everyone around to the fuck up, and I hate someone that it feels like a kind of like he seems like such a clean teen rule follower, kind of like teacher's pet kind of energy and it, and in that is like very boring to me. No, he is.
Speaker 2: In this comics run I'm reading, he's like so Storm, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, and a couple other mutants all get introduced at once. They're brought into the X Men because a bunch of the original X Men have gone missing. I'm the only one left is Cyclops. And when he's like being their new team leader, he's so fucking annoying and like I would be like, find these bitches yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I when I think about like my faves, I do love Angel. I'm not gonna lie, but we haven't really had like tons of like Angel movie material.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was in X Men Apocalypse, but that's not a good movie and it wasn't a great depiction of him.
Speaker 1: Uh. Storm is probably my favorite, close second. I do love Nightcrawler, obviously, I love Beast. Beast is arguably the hottest X Man. He's for sure the hottest. Everyone thinks Wolverine is really hot. I've kind of actually never felt I think he's unambiguously jacked. He's unambiguously hot, like you whatever, but I've never personally that's not been my show.
Speaker 2: I think Hugh Jackman's Wolverine is hot, and I also think the version of him in X Men Evolution is kind of hot.
Speaker 1: You and I need to watch X three. We do, I and you're back from Honcho. We're watching X three. Oh my god, I'm scared for Honcho Rose. What the fuck am like?
Speaker 2: I'm I know, I'm sure you're gonna have a great time. I'm I'm a little scared for you as well, but I know you're gonna love it.
Speaker 1: Virgins. You have to know that to go to Honcho, which is Cancho camp About, which is a kind of like, I don't want to conflate these two because they're very different, but it's like a kind of Beltane adjacent, maybe almost like Burning Men. I'm not gonna say.
Speaker 2: It's like fairy music, gay fairy music festival vibes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like Beltane for people with four O one k's well, Beltane is also that noane is free. It is, but like it's like, who can afford to like take a week off and go to drugs in the woods besides people who have a lot of money, well, people who are unemployed. That's true. Uh the I was just gonna say that you do have to spend so much fucking money. Did you like to buy assembly, babes. I we borrowed a tent from day. You have an air matter, but I have an air mattress. I just realized that I have to pack that. But I also like, we have to pack like so much snacks, which I love, so many different kind of bits and bobs. There's no electricity. I also just found out that I'm not shitting in a toilet. I thought there were toilets. There's no toilets. You just shit in a port of body.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you then but you get to piss outside and oh my god, I love I love camping because I never sleep as well as when I'm sleeping outdoors.
Speaker 1: I literally am always. I remember, I've heard you say that before, and I think it's so shocking that but like, when was the last time you camped?
Speaker 2: Belt No Fall Gathering twenty seven, twenty sixteen, it's been a while. I would love to go camping again.
Speaker 1: Should do it.
Speaker 2: We should do like a like a girls camping trip with like you know, the dolls Cherry and Tory and Lord.
Speaker 1: Justin Fuckington eats on an open fire, like, Oh my gosh, I would love to rose marshmallows. I want to make s'mores so badly. My baby will definitely have this. You and I are also played. We're trying to plan something for the for autumn.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we need to check back in with our sisters about the French.
Speaker 1: Countryside, possibly visiting the French countryside and having our provincial life. Yes, and maybe we'll do like a little day trip to Paris because I found out recently because my cousin emailed me a photo. Best Woman is in Paris in my favorite bookstore. I'm Shakespeare Company. It's in Shakespeare Company, yes, oh my god, famously the shop lecter from Shakespeare.
Speaker 2: The It hasn't been translated, the translation rights haven't been bought yet, but it's there are copies of the UK in Shakespeare Company. And my cousin is there with his kids on a trip and they spotted it and I thought it was very cool. Also My nephew started kindergarten today and he had like a little every time he like starts a school year, like they take pictures of him with a little slate and it like you know, says like his name, his like interest, blah blah blah. And he took one for kindergarten and it said what do you want to be when you grow up? And he wrote an author.
Speaker 1: My impact an author slash dj Wrose slash podcast os slash podcast host. I'm speaking of speaking of babies. There was a baby at your DJ set this weekend, Yes, icon it.
Speaker 2: There was a there was my booth, bitch this weekend at Dalswick was a literal baby.
Speaker 1: A literal newborn baby name to Hetty.
Speaker 2: Name Hetty, who is one of the cutest babies. I got to meet him, you know, one on one.
Speaker 1: Last week, and I'm so obsessed with him, the fashion baby baby.
Speaker 2: I was asking them, like, do you have any like baby pleats please or like, you know, baby calm and they said no, So I need to start looking.
Speaker 1: They first the fact, Okay, our friends Martin Cook are literally two of our most fashionable, like tasteful friends I can possibly think of. I'm shocked that they don't have baby calm shocked.
Speaker 2: Well, it just might not exist if what what?
Speaker 1: I don't know?
Speaker 2: Wait, okay, speaking of playing dress up with small things, I have I started an exciting new journey.
Speaker 1: I for years.
Speaker 2: Have been hovering around this Rose do Wipicator Titanic Franklin Mint doll from the nineties Rose Rose from Titanic.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was a a doll of her made in the nineties by the Franklin Mint, and she has you can buy every outfit she has from the movie. And there's a trunk that was sold for her that like the doll goes in and also like it's like a little closet and you hang all the dresses up.
Speaker 1: Rose. It's only two two hundred dollars. Come on, Yeah, that's the thing.
Speaker 2: I could not find the actual trunk, but I finally I finally bought one for two thousand dollars. I bought a men's condition Rose doll in the jump dress, the like red beaded dress that she wears when she's gonna jump off the ship and Jack saves her. And then I also bought the dress that she wears to dinner when they like go below dancing below decks. I think the next one I'm gonna buy will be the boarding outfit with the hat. They even sell the kimono that she wears to get drawn by Jack. They you can buy like her her like corset from the scene where her mom is careful mother, you'll give yourself a nosebleed Rose.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at the intricacies. I'm looking at the tiny heart of the ocean. Yep. Oh my god. This is like God's her doll collecting like and I like that.
Speaker 2: It's I like that I need so many things to have this, and I want to make it a long project of collecting every piece from this collection.
Speaker 1: I love that there's this trunk set, but she herself, Kate Winslet, fits into the trunk as well. Yes, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: I also really I saw while I was looking at this on eBay a print of the drawing of Rose, and I think I need to get it and hang it in my bathroom.
Speaker 1: I think you do. That's a literal perfect bathroom art. Bathrooms are for porn in my in my.
Speaker 2: Toe, I agree, Yeah, I need some porn in my bathroom. I also really need to paint my bathroom. Finally, I could not be me.
Speaker 1: I have been telling myself I'm gonna paint the rooms that I wanted to paint my house literally two and a half years ago.
Speaker 2: Well, I keep every year I do the same thing, which is, when I renew my lease, I'm like, now it's the time to paint. And then like, if I'm any less than six months away, if I'm any less than six months away from renewing it again, I'm like, well I should just.
Speaker 1: Wait till I renew my leiase again, you know.
Speaker 2: And it's like, I'm not planning to leave here anytime soon, but I still let myself do this every time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, classic white can't go wrong.
Speaker 2: No, I really want to paint my bathroom green or pink or maybe like a black and white stripe moment stripes And who's doing that?
Speaker 1: Your task? Rab it? Yeah, I guess. No.
Speaker 2: I think if it was just one solid color, I think I could paint my bathroom myself.
Speaker 1: I don't. I don't do that, or like, I'll ask Ryan for help and he'll help me with it. Yeah, oh, I would do it for pizza, or actually we could trade you help me, I help you paint, Okay, painting day.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I want to paint twice. I would rather ask trying to do it and not have to do anything in return.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's so nice. Yeah, I love that too. Are what are you? Is there anything you're doing this week while everyone's at Hancho, Because I feel like everyone goes to Hansho. It's like a last year. I feel like I experienced this mass exodus and all my friends were gone. Yeah, no, I have.
Speaker 2: I actually I have plans this week. I'm going doing like a little like cute charcooterie night with some friends, getting my bangs trimmed because they're way too long.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna see can't death, sex and death that can't be as.
Speaker 2: Sex and death that can't miasma. I don't know if this is the weekend that my Grandpa's going to be on Long Island, but if it is, then I'll go out there to see him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have.
Speaker 2: I have some stuff going on this week. Well, everyone's away and I will and even even if I didn't, I would be fine. Yeah, but I would miss I'm going to miss you.
Speaker 1: I'm going to miss you too, dah. Yeah, I will always love.
Speaker 2: Maybe I should find a remix of that for my three Doll Invasion sets.
Speaker 1: Yes, so excited. You have different vibes to play with and also not a lot of overlap for these audiences, so you can certain you can repeat songs. What did you think of my set on Saturday? I thought the Madonna remixes were fab I thought there was a lot of Like I thought there was a lot of kind of like pop of a certain era that I really appreciated. Like you did a remix of down Hound that I saw I thought I thought was so good. There was a really wait can you remind me of? Like there were a few other standout remixes that were like nostalled.
Speaker 2: They were like either So there was a Donna Lewis I Love You Always Forever that too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And honestly, what's amazing is that the set itself did not give nostalgic. It felt extremely contemporary, but like nodding to this era of pop in a way that was like truly fat Like, yeah, I loved it. But I'm kind of a Rosebud. I'm your number one. I'm number one Rosebud. I listened to your podcast. It's at least three times it's you every day and my mom my sisters are my biggest fans. Yes, that's right, baby, they wait.
Speaker 2: Actually I'm confronting you on air because I was talking to my sisters and they were like, can you make Fran follow us better?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I'll do it right now. Send me the did you say I'm calling you. I'm calling you to the red table? Tell me right now what their handles are. Okay, and also or just texting to me so that we don't put so that we don't dox your sisters. Okay, I will text them to you.
Speaker 2: But they were because I believe we had the same conversation when you met them last year. Really, yes, okay, I don't because you know they're obsessed with you.
Speaker 1: Forgive me. This is my demented brain, a losing track of things. I will literally follow them. And if you do they listen to the pod, they do, I don't, not really, I don't think so they shouldn't they should? I think I know friends of theirs listen to the pod. Daniel listens to the podcast. I'm like, baby, don't. I'm like, baby, don't, don't do that.
Speaker 2: Would that's a nightmare if my part if my partner listens my.
Speaker 1: Being so embarrassing, you said, I did. Yeah, there's there's many people with that name. I know. Yeah, don't go stock him please. Yeah. No, i I'm like, why baby, why you get? You get? You could hear my voice?
Speaker 2: Well, because the thing is with you, you would anytime he wants to hear your voice, you would happily just talk to him for six hours.
Speaker 1: Yeah, honestly you would. You could, You could podcast live with him? Yeah, and I would. I love to chat, chut chat chat chat. I mean, that's why we do what we do. But this episode is coming to a close, yes, which I which I also hate for us, but we Okay, you and I do have to record multiple episodes next week, Virgins Chat. If you have an idea for a bonus episode Virgins, you need to get in The comments are right now.
Speaker 2: Also okay, some some some calls to action before we go. Yes, get in the comments. Recommend stuff for us to talk about. Join the Patreon for twice monthly bonus episodes. Our last one, which was an Action Diva's SmackDown, was so fun, so fun to do. Get in the comments on our posts. Tell us what you think of the stuff we're talking about what you want to hear us talk about. Also, Best Woman comes out in paperback next month. Order your copy. Pre order your copy now for people like me who wait until books are out in paperback. I know it's bad, but I get it. Now's the time.
Speaker 1: Now's the time. September twenty second.
Speaker 2: And come to doll Invasion, come to of August.
Speaker 1: Go to dollinvision dot org or go to doll dot Invasion on Instagram where you can get all of the up to date information. August twenty eight through thirtieth an annual fundraiser. There's going to be a lot of Diva's descending. Rose is going to tear it up, along with so many other DJs. We have DJs from Texas, London, La, San Francisco, Brooklyn, Brooklyn, New York, Baby Philly, Exotic Philadelphia.
Speaker 2: We've got Queen's Giving shows. Lead Miss Kay is gonna be there, very excited to meet her, and Kimpetres randomly is also.
Speaker 1: Going to be at the Pavilion performing on Friday night. Crazy.
Speaker 2: You know, Ryan thought Ida was Kimpetres on Saturday.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I was fling her that. I was like, ITA's so much more beautiful. No shade. I need to tell each to that ECHA's on the Doll Invasion team and is one of the fundraisers for Dollinvasion and Queer Art Art sister organization that we fundraised for. Yeah, girl, that's so funny. But Kimpetras is gonna be Let's see if we can get Kimpetris to come to Doll Invasion. She'll be there anyways.
Speaker 2: And if you if you can't bank it to the event, if you don't live in the city or can't travel in for it, you can still support the fundraising efforts exactly.
Speaker 1: And you can do that by going to our again our website doleinvason dot org and hitting donate, or you can venmo us if you want. Doleinvasion is on venmo uh again. Would love to see you a Dolenvation slash. It's actually required if you're a virgin, So if you don't come vision, you're literally not a virgin. You are you you've had sex.
Speaker 2: You have to be there. It is the front. The last couple of years, it has become now the thing that I look forward to at the end of the summer. It's so fun, it's very magical, it's my favorite thing, in my favorite place with my favorite people.
Speaker 1: It's not optional. Yeah, see you there, see you there legally, and we love you and we will talk to you soon. Bye.