Speaker 1: Holiday travel tips with Johnny Jet what's going on on Richdemiro?
Speaker 2: This is rich on Tech.
Speaker 1: Joining me on the podcast today is a guy who travels around the world for a living, writes about it, talks about it, podcasts about it, speaks about it.
Speaker 2: His name is Johnny Jett and welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: All right, so first off, just tell me about yourself.
Speaker 4: In nineteen ninety five, I started that's when I graduated college, and that's when I really started traveling.
Speaker 3: I started mastering travel actually a few years before that. While I was in college.
Speaker 4: At dated a girl whose parents lived overseas, and that's really my first international trip, and I learned all these different tips and tricks.
Speaker 3: She only flew business class.
Speaker 4: I never knew what it was like on the other side of that curtain. And let me tell you, once you do go on the other side of that curtain, you don't ever want to go back to the back. And so that's why I really started reading, asking questions and you know, learning all these different travel hacks because I couldn't afford it, and I was able to, you know, travel like a rock star on a you know.
Speaker 3: A pauper's budget.
Speaker 2: What do you make of the travel situation right now?
Speaker 1: It seems like every day on our news we're always talking about how terrible it is to fly, how everything just seems to be terrible. But I fly a decent amount, and I mean I enjoy it. I feel like a lot has changed. Is it as bad or.
Speaker 4: I mean, I would actually argue that it's never been better. So for the people who don't pay attention or take the time to do their homework, it's pretty it's terrible, without a doubt. They're you know, it's they're cramped, they're sitting in the middle seats, they're paying for everything, they're getting surprised charges. But if you're a freaking flyer, or do your homework or spend a little bit of extra money, you're living large. You have Wi Fi on a plane, you have entertainment systems, you can have life flat seats, if you're sitting in first class, which we've never had back then, you're getting much better food. Airports have better food. So I think it's a really good time to travel, and it's never been safer.
Speaker 1: Most importantly, and of course, there's a lot of tools to book things. So right now it's the holidays, we can talk about some of that travel. Have we missed a boat on the holidays? For booking?
Speaker 4: I mean, there's a lot of procrastinators out there, but you know what you've did miss is maybe some of the good seats or you know, even some really good deals. But you could still find a solid deal if you just leave a day early or day later. Just don't try and leave the Wednesday before Thanksgiving or the Sunday after or the Monday morning. Just go Tuesday or Monday and come back on Tuesday or Wednesday and or even Friday after Thanksgiving, and you'll find really good deals and good seats.
Speaker 2: I've in the past on that broke budget.
Speaker 1: I've been known to fly on Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.
Speaker 3: I've done it too.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you got to do it.
Speaker 1: So what is the first sight that Johnny Jet goes to when you're looking a book? You know, you're just you're just kind of on your first kind of search for a flight.
Speaker 2: Well, where do you go?
Speaker 4: I do have a search tool on my website Johnny jet dot com, so I obviously go there, but then you know that has Expedia, Kayak, Travelocity, but I also go to Google Flights, which it does not have.
Speaker 3: Google Flights is amazing. They're taking over the world.
Speaker 2: Why is that? Why are they better?
Speaker 4: You know, just I think they're easier. They just they just realize, you know, how to.
Speaker 3: How to simplify things. And what I love about it.
Speaker 4: Is that you can search however you want to do, your airline, your alliance, how much you want to pay, which airports you want to stop, and if you want to stop, or if you don't want to stop, or if you don't even know where you want to go, you can just put in your departure airport or airports. You can put multiple airports in there and then just you know, just do a search for the world and just zoom in and zoom out on a Google map and you can see what is cheap and what's not. Some of the little fair carriers in Europe too, you want to check them out independently, Ryanair, easy Jet, I'm not sure if they're on Google Flights.
Speaker 3: I don't fly them often.
Speaker 1: So sometimes I feel like for the international flights, there's like these whole separate websites that there are specialized in that.
Speaker 4: Actually one website for that international which I use in Europe a lot is Momando dot com. So what I like about that is if you're in Europe and you're going London to Paris, you know it will tell you don't fly, take the train. It'll save you a lot more time and it'll probably be the same price. And because it's only a three hour train ride, and by the time you get to the airport, going through security delays everything and getting to the city centers because you know, the train stations are in the city centers, which so I like Mamando for that.
Speaker 1: You told me about a website called skip Flagged skiplag dot com, So tell me. This one is kind of controversial because it helps you uncover some like cheaper flights, but you really there's a lot of restrictions and you don't want to do it very often.
Speaker 2: Well, is it illegal to use this?
Speaker 3: Illegal?
Speaker 4: But the airlines did to it, United and Orbits actually suit them and lost, so they do not like people knowing their little loopholes.
Speaker 2: Okay, so what's this loophole?
Speaker 4: So in the past you had to just do it manually. So I always tell people look at alternate airports. So I first learned about hidden city city ticketing. I was flying LA to Cleveland, and I was trying to find it to get one way deal, you know, six hundred dollars, Like that's crazy. So then I just started using Ulternate Airport. So I looked at Buffalo and I saw that a flight was going la Cleveland Buffalo for two thirty. It was the same exact flight that was six hundred. So what you would do is you would get off in Cleveland. You would only buy a one way ticket. It has to be one way, otherwise they'd cancel the return and you can't check a bag, and you don't want to do it often, and you probably don't want to put your mileage number in there if you do it often, because they will come back and either take away your miles or or find you try try.
Speaker 1: I saw it like United sent like a letter to someone requesting like thousands of dollars for these.
Speaker 4: United is now going after people and the actually I some airlines will even meet people at their gate and say, oh, well, we're going to escort you to the next flight because they know they're going to.
Speaker 3: Go on that next flight.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: So but anyway, so skip lag.
Speaker 4: What they can do is you can they will tell you these little airports and loopholes that do it. So, you know, I like to use LA to Charlotte because only American has that flight. It's normally about five seventy one way. But if you put in LA to Richmond or LaGuardia, Jacksonville or different, you know, any city on the East Coast, it will go through Charlotte and it will be half the price, maybe even seventy five percent off. Actually we just looked it up a little while ago. I think it was five eighty and then if there was one.
Speaker 2: So that's all.
Speaker 1: And the website, you don't have to know those other cities. The skip blag website, they do it for you.
Speaker 2: They do it for you.
Speaker 1: So again, you fly, you get off the plane in Charlotte, you stay there and then your flight goes on.
Speaker 2: But you can't you can't do this very often.
Speaker 4: You can't do it often, and you gotta buy one way. You got to make sure your bag gets on, and you have to realize, let's say there is bad weather in Charlotte. They could reroute you through Dallas and say, you know what, You're gonna go to Richmond through Dallas because there's a bad weather in Charlotte.
Speaker 2: Oh so you have to be ready. This is this is something not for the average flyer.
Speaker 4: It's not you know, realize there are some consequences on there. But you know what, if you're willing to roll the dice, you can save a lot of money.
Speaker 1: So what do you make of the there's a two that you showed me on the Kayak website.
Speaker 2: This is like Kayak Explore.
Speaker 1: I thought this was really cool because it's kind of like Google Flights where you can kind of explore a map. What I like what they do is they kind of slice and dice the world based on regions, interests, all kinds of if.
Speaker 4: You're into wineries, if you're into amazing beaches, if you're into historical sites, if you're into UNESCO World Heritage sites, you can just search by that, and so they have something for everybody.
Speaker 1: What's fun for you about travel? I mean, you've been doing it for many years now. To most people, travel seems like are To many people, it seems like a grind, or some people like it because of the points game.
Speaker 2: But what do you like?
Speaker 4: I think I'm actually thinking I'm addicted to it, and I do think people who do travel a lot can get addicted addicted. So what I love about it is that, first of all, I used to be afraid to fly. I got over my fear. I was only afraid to fly. I was afraid to leave the house at one point. So it just blows my mind. When I'm somewhere else, I'm like, oh my god, I'm in London, I'm in Thailand.
Speaker 2: Do you have any of that anymore? I do.
Speaker 4: Even when I'm here in La, I'm like, oh my god, I'm in La and I live here.
Speaker 1: No, I'm wanting to I mean, you get worried at all? I mean, or you you have you moved past that completely.
Speaker 4: Travel No. Now that I have a two year old, I don't want to leave him. So even like just coming down the road now, I'm like, you know, I don't want to leave him. I don't want to take a chance of getting hit by a car or whatever.
Speaker 2: So I do.
Speaker 4: I do get that once in a while on these trips. But you still have to realize that it's so much safer to fly than it is to drive and that. And one thing about travel is I just learned how to master it it, really, did you know? I have clear, I have pre check, I have Global entry. So you know, one of the big hassles was standing in long lines. I have elite status on the airlines I fly, so I can skip the long lines. And you know time my airport's you know, pretty so I'm not hanging out. And if I am hanging out, I have access to the lounge. I have certain credit cards that get me into lounge access. So I travel is now a joy and I just love meeting people. I love seeing the world. I love sharing it. And thanks to social media, I'm a lot I'm able to do that. In my website, I can. I get so many emails from people saying, you know, I can't travel for whatever reason. A lot of it is health reasons, but some of it could be money.
Speaker 3: And they're like, I traveled but curiously through you, and it's it's very gratifying.
Speaker 2: How did you get over that fear of flying?
Speaker 3: You know what, I just asked a lot of questions. I read all the statistics. It's again.
Speaker 4: One time I landed from London on a British Airways flight and the highlight got on and said, the safest part of your journeys now over. Be careful on the freeways out there, and you read it, and it's true. It's so much safer to fly than it is to drive. And just read the statistics. Talk to people, and you know, when you go on these planes and you're like, I'm flying LA to New York right now, or actually even why my flight LA Honolulu, I'm like, oh my god, it's such a chore. But then all of a sudden, I realized that the flight attendants are working this flight. They only have to work that flight, they have to work the flight coming back. They're not even spending a night in Honolulu. They just do a turn. Wow, they're and we're sitting and relaxing watching movies and they're sitting there busting their butts. So you realize that these guys do it for a living. They do it multiple times a week, and so you've realized, my god, it must be safe.
Speaker 3: That's all I mean, that's what they do.
Speaker 4: And you look at different apps flight Radar twenty four, you can see, you know, how many planes are in the sky right now, like right above us in the US. I think there's at least four thousand planes in the sky right now over the US.
Speaker 1: Why do you think people get so caught up on that fear of flying because they're not in control.
Speaker 4: I think it's one of the things that they can't control. If you're you know, if you're driving down a highway, you don't feel well, you can just pull over. If you're on a plane, you don't feel well, you can't pull over. So I think that's one of the things. I think it's claustrophobic or not, and just not being in control. So the best thing to do is to try and find a really good deal. Fly business class, first class. It will take your trust me, it will take your mind away of claustrophobia and things like that, and you only want to get off.
Speaker 1: The plane that first pre flight cocktail will we'll take all your worries about that. Will give me some tips for just travel in general. I mean, I know you mentioned the lounges and stuff. Now you see that's the other thing. There's people that fly a lot, you know, they often are insulated from some of these issues that the apach person deals with. But the average person's only flying once or twice a year, so you can deal with a long line through you know, TSA for one time a year or two times that you fly.
Speaker 2: But give me some tips just in general, like what do I need to know?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, if you have a certain credit card, you can actually get TSA pre check for free. And what you really want to do is get global entry. So if you do travel internationally, when you come back home to America, you can just zip through immigration. You don't have to waiting any long lines. And that comes with TSA pre check and that's one hundred dollars for five years. But certain credit cards like the America's rest Platinum Card, Chase Sapphire, they will give it to you for free, so you don't have to spending extra money. You just have to spend the time on getting registered. It takes a few months. You can't do it last minute, but that will take away so much of the hassle. Also, try not to bring so much stuff a lot of travelers. You know, my first time traveling to Europe, I brought like a trunk. Now I can do carry on only my wife and I would do carry on only around the world. Now that we have a son, we actually brought the trunk back.
Speaker 1: I remember the first picture I took of the first time I flew with my kid, and it was like I couldn't believe I think we had nine piece of luggage. I mean, it's just ridiculous. But the what about like get like what do you pack on the plane?
Speaker 2: Like? I always bring snacks, Always bring.
Speaker 4: Snacks, drinks. I bring an empty bottle of water I get through a security, I fill it up with water.
Speaker 3: I went have.
Speaker 4: To depend did excuse me? Be dependent on the flight attendants? I also bring them treats. Always bring them treats and they'll treat you like a rock star. And just be super friendly to them. I mean, as my number one travel tip, be super friendly, genuinely friendly to everybody, and because they can make or break your trip.
Speaker 2: All right, There you have it, all right? So how can people get in touch with you?
Speaker 4: Johnny Jett, Johnny Jet dot com, jh n n y j E t one t I'm not related to Joan and also on social media Johnny Jet all across.
Speaker 2: All right, Johnny, thanks so much for joining me today.
Speaker 1: If you want to learn more about Johnny Jett and final link to his website, you can go in the show notes or go.
Speaker 2: To my website. Rich on tech dot TV, thanks so much for listening to the show. I'm Rich Tomrow. I'll talk to you real soon, MHM.