Speaker 1: Hey, welcome to Weird House Cinema. Rewind. This is Rob Lamb. Today we have an episode that originally came out six twenty seven five. It is our discussion of the infamously wild nineteen eighty eight Indonesian full car Mockbuster Lady Terminator. We absolutely love this film. This was a lot of fun to discuss on the show. So hey, let's let's go ahead and pull the trigger on this one.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: Hey you, welcome to Weird House Cinema. This is Rob Lamb.
Speaker 3: And this is Joe McCormick.
Speaker 1: For today's episode, I wanted to take our first steps on Weird House Cinema into the world of Indonesian cinema as I just recently returned from Indonesia. I'll share more about that trip on subsequent episodes of Stuff to Blow Your Mind, because I did get to experience some things to tie into our core science episodes. But now having enjoyed the natural beauty and hospitality of the Indonesian isles, I also knew it was time to watch some of its weirdest movies.
Speaker 3: You picked a real winner for us today, Rob and I'm not going to spoil it before you finish your introduction to the film, but it's hard to imagine the cinema of any country could get much weirder than the movie we're talking about today.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I think there's a strong case to be made for weirder examples of Indonesian cinema, but this one, I don't know. It lines up in several unique ways. I mean, I'll go ahead and mention it here for anyone who hasn't looked at the title of the episode we were talking about the nineteen eighty eight Indonesian folk car Mockbuster Lady Terminator. Yes, it is all of those things.
Speaker 3: It's like if you wanted James Cameron's Terminator but you thought it didn't have enough ancient deep sea sex goddesses in it.
Speaker 1: Exactly yes, And you might also think to yourself, terminators good, but are there enough machine guns? Could there be more machine guns? And you know, I dare say, without actually going back and rewatching James Cameron's Terminator, I think this film has more machine guns.
Speaker 3: I think that's without a doubt, and in fact, you could you could since moments in this movie there's almost like an anxiety you can feel going scene to scene where it's like you since the filmmaker's wondering if they've put enough gunfire into the scene yet, and so like something will happen, characters will be talking, and then more people will run into frame and start shooting guns again.
Speaker 1: It's crazy. Yeah, there's a point about between halfway and two thirds into the film where it's just gonna be machine guns for the duration, and it never gets boring. Like to their credit, I've said this on the show before.
Speaker 3: I can get quite bored with a movie that's just shots of people shooting guns at each other like that can get really tedious. This maintains a hilarious level of novelty throughout all of the Act two and Act three gunfights. It stays weird and it stays funny, and yeah, it did not get boring for me at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah. We tend to talk about exploitation films and b films that are cut above the rest, so it is worth stressing that exploitation cinema is exactly where you tend to find excess taken to the level of boredom, like films that have a lot of nudity, for example, but it's just meaningless and boring after a while. And the same with violence, the same with gore, the same with profanity or whatever flavor you happen to be over indulging in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's very easy as a filmmaker to make them to have the mistaken belief that, like, violence is exciting, and it's not true. Drama is exciting and violence can be a form of drama. But but yeah, so a lot of movies kind of go down that the wrong path of just like lots of close ups of and it just goes on, never really feels like it's building to anything. This movie's action sequences are so bonker they are bananas, and the dialogue during the action scenes especially is some of the funniest stuff I can think of I've seen in a B movie in a long time.
Speaker 1: Some aspects of the story might be confusing at times, character motivations and so forth, but there were multiple points during my rewatch where I really had to stop and remind myself that, you know, this action scene is totally sticking together. Though I'm totally invested in the physical action that's happening on screen, they are totally delivering when it comes to the action. All right, At this point, I do want to take just one step back and just briefly talk about Indonesian cinema with more of an emphasis on some of the exploitation cinema that perhaps more weird house cinema listeners are familiar with. But of course, the Republic of Indonesia covers some seventeen thousand islands in Southeast Asia and Oceania, entailing multiple ethnic groups and the fourth largest population of any country on Earth. There are a lot of people there, and as discussed in a documentary on Indonesian exploitation cinema on the Mondo Macabro disc that I watched the film on, they point out that, of course everyone in Indonesia loves movies, as it can be said for pretty much every country on Earth. Like movies are fun, people get into them, and so distinctly Indonesian cinema I was reading elsewhere dates back to the nineteen twenties, with various domestic productions of note, but then heading into the nineteen seventies, the market is dominated by foreign imports, films from the West, from India, from East Asia, and so during the nineteen seventies, the Indonesian government decreed that in order to import films, you also had to fund domestic productions, and by nineteen seventy seven, according to that Mando Macabro documentary, you had to make one Indonesian film in order to import five international pictures.
Speaker 3: Wow. I was not prepared for there to be a policy backstory to us talking about Lady Terminator.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, there are a lot of factors that go into a movie like this coming together, and obviously a lot of passion. I mean, there are so many examples of films that have been made because of some element of how they came together, is because of tax breaks or some economic production factor, some sort of slush fund or what have you. But yeah, so this is just one wrinkle to where we end up entering into what many people describe as a Golden age of Indonesian genre film. A lot of these pictures were, you know, just definitely aimed at the working class and then you know, and then a young folk. They often included plots that entailed mystical adventure, action, horror, maybe a little bit of sexuality, and a lot of it was often colored by traditional folklore, Indonesian history, Dutch colonialism, and of course international film influences that range from American blockbusters and Hong Kong action films to Bollywood musical and so the nineteen seventies and nineteen eighties end up providing this rich hall of genre films, and many of these would go on to be distributed internationally, developed cult followings internationally, including pictures that a number of you've probably are probably familiar with. Nineteen eighty six is The Hungry Snake Woman starring Susanna who's like often described as this as the scream Queen of Indonesia. Nineteen eighty one's The Warrior starring Barry Prima, who's kind of often talked about. I don't know who you would directly compare him to, but he was like the big, the big male action star of this time period. And then another major selection from this era is nineteen eighty eight's Lady Terminator. Now, as we've been talking about here, Lady Terminator isn't just a mockbuster rip off of nineteen eighty four as The Terminator, I mean, it definitely is that it.
Speaker 3: Very much is that. I mean in like recreating scenes and moments from Terminator, like line for line or shot sometimes.
Speaker 1: Right so it is definitely a terminator mockbuster. But on the other hand, it is again a horror movie based on to some degree on Indonesian folklore, specifically tales concerning the South Sea Queen. And I believe my apologies if I'm mispronouncing this, but Naya e rollro key Duel is I believe the Indonesian name for this specific entity. And I was reading some other material about the South Sea Queen one a Princess from Sunda, published in Asian Folklore Studies back in nineteen ninety seven by Robert Wessling, and this author describes this entity as an exiled West Javanese princess who then goes on to become the spirit queen of the Indian Ocean. And as you might expect with any kind of folklore tradition, she takes on different roles in different tales and traditions. But in this film we see are sort of boiled down to the form of a venge full sexual oceanic entity, almost perhaps a demon, perhaps a divine force. I mean, the lines between these distinctions are often grayed out.
Speaker 3: Kind of a super powerful salt water succubus. Yeah, like a sex goddess. Witch who preys on men and commands all the powers of the eel.
Speaker 1: Yes of the eel of the snake. Wet Wessing does compare her to various other traditions in this region and neighboring regions concerning things sort of like mermaids and certainly serpent women and the like. And I should also add that in various other Indonesian films from this time period, other obviously you have hungry snake queens, you have crocodile queens. So this does feel like it's perhaps a familiar trope in Indonesian folklore and certainly in exploitation cinema, based to some degree on those folk tales. All right, well, elevator pitch for this one. All I have to say is the south Sea Queen cannot be reasoned with. She doesn't feel pity or remort or fear, and she absolutely will not stop ever until you're dead.
Speaker 3: Or until her machine gun jams. And then she has to make a poudy face?
Speaker 1: Does she do that? Does she make a powdy?
Speaker 3: To be fair, that's not actually the south Sea Queen, that is the embodiment of the south Sea Queen's magic, Or I don't know, you tell me the south Sea Queen herself inside the body of the Anthropologist that is possessed and becomes Lady Terminator or is that just sort of her magic is a curse place? Do you know what I'm asking? Hmm, Yeah, the south Sea Queen physically there in the body of what's her name.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it does seem like she is being puppeted to some degree. Yeah, the the character of what Tania I believe that is her name, Tanya the Anthropologist, the Anthropot is the Lady Terminator. Yes, yeah, I think this is a fair point. I feel like maybe the south Sea Queen is not directly inside there, but is like at a distance the master of this vengeful avatar.
Speaker 3: The other thing is, does the south Sea Queen actually turn her into a robot like the T eight hundred Interminator. There are reasons for thinking that. For one thing, she shoots lasers out of her eyes and seems to have some kind of technological powers, like she gets at one point, she kind of gets her skin melted and seems to have some kind of exoskeleton thing going on underneath there like Interminator. But also there's no otherwise, there's no technological tie in with the South Sea Queen. It would seem to be just a magically possessed being.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get the impression that via magical possession, her body has taken on various supernatural aspects that make it immune to bullets. Not completely immune to massive explosions, as we'll see, but somewhat immune. And then also at some point I beams come into the phraser eyes.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, those are magic laser eyes, not high tech laser eyes.
Speaker 1: Right, that's magical energy. Okay, I don't know radiant damage or something. All right, let's go ahead and listen, and just just a little bit of the trailer here, not the whole thing, but just a little bit to give folks a taste.
Speaker 4: Sometimes the past should be left to memory, to gather dust within the covers of recorded time.
Speaker 5: In one hundred years, I'll have my revenge on your great granddaughter. Where the finds the secret of the South Sea Queen will live in great danger of a song.
Speaker 3: Oh yes I will. But how was she to know?
Speaker 5: Meet Tadya, an American anthropologist who travels to Indonesia in search of suit. What she finds is that the legend of the South Sea Queen is more than a story.
Speaker 3: It is her fate.
Speaker 4: Oh God, I love possession, revenge, insisuable, desire, and an evil that will not die.
Speaker 3: Thank you Eric.
Speaker 5: That woman cannot die.
Speaker 1: All right now, If you want to watch Lady Terminator, you can catch a stream here there, But the best way to see this one as of this writing is on the DVD from Mondo Micabro. We've talked about Mondo Micabro releases before they put out a lot of great films. I rented it here from Atlanta's own video Drum, which has a nice little selection of Indonesian horror films.
Speaker 3: I've got that disc. There is also a stream on archive dot org I was checking out part of but it's nice to have the packaging because then you get to see the the extremely classy tagline for the film, which is first she mates, then she terminates.
Speaker 1: It rhymes, so I can't really argue with it, though one does wonder how much mating she's actually doing in this picture.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess somewhat less than expected. That's sort of front loaded in the first half of the movie, but there's plenty of terminating, I guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's generally happy to skip the first part and just get to the extermination mostly.
Speaker 3: She terminates, Yeah, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Well let's jump into the people behind this film, though I do have to stress that this is one of those cases where there's not a lot of information about everyone involved, and in some cases maybe I just wasn't privy to that information or wasn't able to find it. But let's start at the top with the director, credited as Jaliel Jackson. It is h Chahut Jaliel, who lived nineteen thirty two through I Believe twenty fourteen. His death date isn't listed on IMDb, but I've seen his death date listed elsewhere. Indonesian director Act from I Believe nineteen seventy four through nineteen ninety four. Director of numerous cult favorite films, including nineteen eighty one's Mystics in Bali, a horror movie full of Indonesian folkloric elements, including the panangle and floating heads within trails, which if you haven't some of you may be familiar with it from seeing Mystics in Bali, but they're often given us fair amount of attention in various monster books and folkloric treatments and so forth.
Speaker 3: Though I just had to google it. Yeah, I think I've seen screenshots from this before where it's like it looks like a doll's head floating and then just some stuff dangling out of the neck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is one of the big ones that I haven't seen it yet. This is my first foray into in Indonesian horror, so I'll have to get to that one. His other films include nineteen eighty one's The Warrior in the Ninja starring Barry Prima, eighty six is Satan's Bed, nineteen eighty eight s White Crocodile Queens starring Susannah, and nineteen ninety two's Dangerous Seductress. This was apparently his biggest budgeted film up to that point, and I've read that it did great business domestically before it was banned subsequently, and I think there are different stories too about like how did it get banned and somebody like essentially stab it in the back? Was it importers of Western films that were upset that this film was outperforming various international pictures in Indonesia at the time. I'm not sure where the truth lies and any of that, but of course it would go on to earn its cult status internationally as an import and I mean it's been screened ultimately internationally. So that's another point about watching this film is very possible you might catch a rare screening of it on the big screen here there.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to imagine what so like American distributors are, like, nobody's going to the theaters to see Cocktail. They're just buying more tickets to see The Lady Terminator. Again, We've got to do something about this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know, But what.
Speaker 3: Else came out in eighty eight three Men in a Baby like Yeah?
Speaker 1: This is yeah, this is nothing on the same level as Lady Terminator.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: The credited writer here is one car Kruleinos. This is his only credit on any of the movie databases that I was able to look the film up on. He also has a camera credit on this picture. I don't so this is one of those where I have to flag is this a real person? Is this is? I have no idea. Evidently someone did write it. There was a script.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And while we should mention I guess that if we haven't already said this. The dialogue in the film is dubbed in all of it is dubbed, but it does usually match what the character's mouths are saying when they're moving, so it's not live sound. But it does appear that the dialogue is mostly as written and performed by the actors in the scene, though there are some very funny moments of what feel like lines subbed in later, like especially lines directly from Terminator. They just kind of get come in from somebody speaking off screen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like there's one part we'll probably go back to where you get the feeling where they that they were like, oh, we didn't we forgot to put in come with me if you want to live, and so they just kind of throw it in after an explosion, Come.
Speaker 3: With me, if you want to live. Yeah, it happens past. I don't do we see the guy's mouth. I don't remember, Yeah, we don't.
Speaker 1: All right, let's talk about the cast here. Oh the star. The title character, Lady Terminator or before she becomes Lady Terminator Tanya, is played by Barbara and Constable.
Speaker 3: This is a classic case of don't you hate when you you go scuba diving in order to complete research for your anthropology PhD and you get turned into a terminator?
Speaker 1: Yeah, go scuba diving by yourself. My wife was quick to point out, oh, she has no body this is You always go scuba diving with a buddy, even if you're checking out mysterious ruins on these on the seafloor.
Speaker 3: So who's Barbara Ann Constable here?
Speaker 1: All right? Well, she's one of a kind, Australian dancer, turn model, turn actress. This is her only credited film role on any of the databases as far as I could tell, though, I've seen a couple of interviews with her, print interviews where she says that prior to this she shot some sort of Chinese film in Shanghai. I think she said it had ballet in it, but she didn't know what the name of it was, and I don't know that anyone has ever been able to track it down. So there may be another film out there in which she appears to some degree, but for the most part it's one and done, like this is her picture, and I mean credit where credits do? I think she does a great job here, at least once she's the terminator. I mean, she's less believable as a human lady, but once she is lady Terminator, I absolutely buy into it.
Speaker 3: She was watching Terminator and taken notes like she's got the physicality down. She does the kind of like three point turn with her body really good. When she's going around corners and the police station. The scenes are so many scenes of her running around chasing the Erica or heroine and just like kicking down doors in the police station, the kicking motion. It really sticks with me.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, I think she's tremendous here. I totally buy into everything she's doing on the screen. So, based on a couple of interviews, I was able to run down her casting came out of some international modeling work that she was doing while traveling around Asia, and she agreed to this picture assuming that it would be a purely domestic film and not something that would ultimately screen anywhere else in the world. But yeah, as far as amazing one and done B movie performances, I think she might top the list. I can't think of anybody else like this who just comes out of nowhere and then also and then subsequently vanishes that excels to this degree. Like the closest I could think of is Warhawk Tanzania in Devil's Express But even he had like one other part in a film I think prior to that.
Speaker 3: Oh, okay, but I agree. I mean, if you see Lady Terminator, you are not going to forget Barbara Ann Constable's perfore She's going to be in your brain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean, she has all the screen time in the world here, and you just have to imagine an alternate universe where she followed this up, either with other Indonesian films or perhaps internationally, like maybe ended up doing some films in Australia.
Speaker 3: Or Lady Terminator too term harder.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I'm down for that, or some other film where she essentially plays the Lady Terminator. It just seems like, especially for someone who didn't have a martial arts background, she's so good in the action here. She's totally believable. Apparently she had weapons training prior to filming, which shows because she's firing a machine gun all the time in this picture and at least to my untrained eyes, like it's believable, and she's doing it with her eyes wide open, which I understand takes a little bit of effort to get that trick down as well. All right, let's move in to the rest of the cast. I get We'll have more to say about this terrific performance as we if we move on. But our I guess our hero of the picture.
Speaker 3: Our Reb Brown for the evening.
Speaker 1: Yes, our Reb Brown is Max, played by Christopher J. Hart. This is his only film role. I believe. Constable describes him as an expat working in Jakarta at the time, possibly an engineer. I don't know that she knew or remembered. I tried to find out any additional information on this guy. I did find an Atlanta area surgeon with the same name, and I really wanted it to be the same guy. But I have to admit to myself that I think these are two different people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just a coincidence. Well, this guy has real blast hard cheese energy. As I said, he's very Reb Brown, square jawed, hunky guy with blonde hair, who's just a slab of meat there to be our hero, and he's got a real I don't know his delivery. There's one moment that I think we were talking about off Mike. I didn't already say this on the episode, did I about? There's one moment that I think kind of sums up his performance, though this is attributable to the writing as well. So it's copying lots of scenes from Terminator. And you remember the scene from Terminator where Kyle Reese, the soldier from the future who has come back in time to protect Sarah Connor. He's been shot and she's helping him and she's like, She's like, your bullet wound, doesn't it hurt? And he says in Terminator pain can be controlled, you just disconnect it. In this movie, it recreates that scene and he's got a bullet wound and she the Erica character, is like, doesn't it hurt? And he's like nah. And that's Max here.
Speaker 1: So Erica is the heroin I guess, or at least the damsel in distress, well, the Sarah Connor role, the Sarah Connor role, except what if Sarah Connor like wasn't also like pretty tough and self gone. I don't know. I mean, I don't want to take anything away from Erica.
Speaker 3: But I look, Erica, she make her a singer in this movie.
Speaker 1: It's true she's a singer. She has presumably a good voice. I don't know we actually hear that voice, but I believe, through the magic of cinema that she has one.
Speaker 3: I feel like this is another leveling up choice they made. So they wanted to recreate the tech noir club sequence from Terminator, but they but they were like, what if instead the Sarah Connor character was not just waiting in tech noir for the police to arrive and help her, but she was actually singing on stage and giving a performance. I'm like, that's good, Okay, that is a level up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, that's a great sequence. I look forward to talking about that one. It's like a like a disco tech number, a full musical number ahead of the rampage.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a tech noir club with a guy who looks like Geddy Lee and a cowboy hat and sunglasses tending bar.
Speaker 1: Yes, and Erica is played here by Claudia Angeliqe Ratamaker, again her only film croll a role here, so I don't know anything else about her, but she does a perfectly fine job here. All right, Now, there is a there. There is a group of gentlemen that help Max out. Some of them are total red shirts, but at least three of them, maybe more. There are guys with mustaches, like there are white dudes with with mustaches that get I get confused with in this picture, I'm not sure if we're dealing with one mustachioed Caucasian guy or multiple mustachioed Caucasian guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's one beef guy who's essentially a copy of Max, but change it to brown hair and add the mustache, so he's the muscle guy. And then you've got should we can we talk about Snake for a minute. Snake's my favorite character in the film.
Speaker 1: Snake is terrific. So out of these so out of these gentlemen, it's like Max has essentially three buddies, white dude with a mustache and two Indonesian gentlemen. One one is serious and one is the obvious ham at the bunch and that's that's Snake. Strong stoner vibes for Snake.
Speaker 3: Wait, am I thinking of the right guy? Snake is the guy with the blonde mullet with yes.
Speaker 1: Okay, yes, okay, yes, that is Snake played by Adam Stardust.
Speaker 3: Is that a real name?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: And this may not be his you know, birth name either, but he's also known as Adam Jugwani. And while this is Adam Stardust slash, Adam Juguani's only film role on the major film databasis. He is seemingly still around and is a DJ with an easy to find social media footprint in I believe in Indonesia. He is quote existing at sixty living in the eighties. Some more power to him. You can look him up on YouTube. He's got mixes at parties. This dude is still still out there partying hard.
Speaker 3: When he gets blasted by the laser beams from Lady Terminator's eyes, I gasped, I made a noise. It was It was a terrible loss.
Speaker 1: You don't really expect the comic relief character to just get eye blasted. Generally they get to survive.
Speaker 3: Not Snake. They couldn't do that to Snake, all.
Speaker 1: Right, the mustachioed guy. And I may be wrong. There are different parts in the dub where I feel like certain characters could refer to by a confusingly different.
Speaker 3: Name Tom, and which one was Tom?
Speaker 1: Tom? Okay, so Tom the best friend. Tom is the best friend. But there's a point where somebody blows up in a helicopter and they also call that guy Tom.
Speaker 3: That's what I thought I heard, too, Okay, but that wasn't the same guy.
Speaker 1: Right, Tom on the ground, Tom a best friend Tom is played by e King Fozzy born nineteen fifty nine, Indonesian rock star of the nineteen eighties. You can look him up on discogs multiple releases as an actor active through at least twenty twenty three. And I certainly don't know much about Indonesian cinema outside of some of these exploitation pictures, but it seems like his roles outside of the late nineteen eighties were actually supporting roles in more serious films, more like mainstream fare.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, I'm glad he got to play around and stuff like this though, because he's fun too. He is this the guy who when they're like escaping the police station, he gets shot and you think he's dead, and then he comes back later and they're like, oh, you're alive, and he's like, yeah, I am, that's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then spoilers, but he also gets shot again and you think he's dead, like this time for real, but then he seems to survive and then possibly die again. We're not sure, all right, And then finally white guy with the mustache, or at least the main one, the one that factors into the final battle, is played by Joseph p. McGlenn. I think this character's name is Joe, but he might also be referred to his tank. I could be wrong. As far as I could tell, he was a helicopter pilot working in Indonesia at the time. This is his only film credit. I may or may not have found his LinkedIn profile.
Speaker 3: You gonna hire him?
Speaker 1: No, I think he's retired. But oh, okay, But if I need somebody to go up against a killer female robot, you know I'm gonna sign up for LinkedIn pro and contact him. I guess.
Speaker 3: Okay, Now, what about our mage class here? Yes? Don't we also in the party have a wise old wizard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, our van helson of the group who consults grand uncle Masabu played by an actor credited as h I M. Damsik who lived nineteen twenty nine through twenty twelve, very slender Indonesian actor with credits seemingly strewn across numerous tantalizing genre films. He'd apparently been a dancer and then dance instructor and choreographer, working like adjacent to film, and then maybe in film a little bit before they started casting him in parts and based on the pictures he's showing up in and some of the names of the characters. I can easily imagine that this guy became a go to elder actor for various supporting elder characters. You know, you need a Van Helsing type role. You need a I don't know, you know, a wise old mage like you say, this is the guy you cast.
Speaker 3: That's right. He's got a very wispy beard and he he you know, tells the tale of the curse from ancient from the ancient past. Though he's not just somebody with intellectual book learning about the magic, he has a personal connection to it because he's sort of the guardian of our heroine. He's there to deliver the lore to her and to pass along the magical artifact that she's going to need in order to defeat the Lady Terminator and undo the south Sea Queen's magic. That's right.
Speaker 1: This actor's other credits include nineteen eighty Satan Slave, nineteen eighty one's The Warrior, as well as Queen of Black Magic. That one has Susannah in it. Eighty two is The Snake Queen, also starring Susannah. Eighty four is The Devil's Sword nineteen ninety and also nineteen ninety two's Lady Dragon that had Cynthia Rothrock in it, and the many other pictures as well.
Speaker 3: Also, this is a more serious character, but he gets a really ignominious end.
Speaker 1: Yes, he doesn't really get a very dignified death, does he. But it's an hilarious death.
Speaker 3: We'll have to talk more about that, Yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: The only other acting credit of note, the Queen of the South Sea as we encounter her at the very beginning of the picture, is played by an actress credited by the name Fortanella, popular Indonesian actress of apparently mixed Indonesian and Italian descent who acted in a string of films, mostly in the nineteen nineties and mostly comedies. Finally, the music, Oh, I love the music of Lady Terminator. I do not know exactly what its origins are. It's credited to one Ricky Brothers, and they have no other credits, so I don't know. You know, this is somebody's pseudonym. If this is like a pair of composed.
Speaker 3: Is it Ricky Brothers or the Ricky Brothers.
Speaker 1: I took it to be someone named Ricky Brothers, like that's their stage name or something. But there are no other credits, and as far as I can tell, like this is all original music, you know it's there are obviously some terminator notes in there. There are a few times where I got kind of like a slight biosphere vibe off of it before it got terminatory again. But I really enjoyed it. It strikes the exact note you want for a picture like Lady Terminator.
Speaker 3: Okay, you ready to talk about the plot.
Speaker 1: Let's discuss the plot, all right.
Speaker 3: So I've been a bit under the weather this week, so Rob, I had to lean on you to make more plot notes. This time, I'm gonna have to rely on you to get us through the plot here. But I did make some notes about the very beginning here.
Speaker 1: I did watch this the first time when I had a fever, okay, to make sure we're kind of lining up with being under the weather whilst watching Lady Terminator.
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, okay. So we opened the film on a bleak picture of these waves rolling along in a very cold looking kind of gray green sea, and there's a sound of wind whipping all around, and then a voiceover comes in from out of nowhere and it says it's a very I should say, very sharp vocal delivery. It's a very almost kind of venomous tone in delivering this dialogue or not dialogue, and voiceover it says, sometimes the past should be left to memory to gather dust within the cupboards of recorded time. That's it, that's what it says. Now we cut to waves crashing against a rocky shore, and there's a castle perched up on a seaside cliff, and there's very dreamy eighties music. There's kind of some glass bell synthesizer and reverby drums. You know that eighties sound is like, you know, drums in an empty steel haul. Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 1: And this castle looks really cool. I get kind of a Indonesian Gothic vibe from this castle. Presumably this is the castle of the south Sea Queen or the woman who is going to become the south Sea Queen in this prologue.
Speaker 3: Right, So the strings come in on the soundtrack and we get the classic the DS motif, and we see a lady here. She's in a bedroom, kind of misty bedroom. There's like a fog billowing around, and we see you know, bed sheets kind of hanging down or I don't know what you call those bed curtains hanging down all around. I watched part of this with Rachel, and she pointed out, when you see the bed at this part, it looks almost like it's like a table, looks like not cushiony, like very flat and hard with just like a sheet over it, but some kind of flat surface. And this lady is on a bed having sex with a man. She's wearing a sheer green dress or wrap of some kind, with a bunch of gold jewelry around her neck and in her hair with heavy blue eyeshadow. And I guess this is our south Sea Queen, that's right.
Speaker 1: And we quickly see that her green dress is for some sort of sarong that wraps around her body and then trails on the floor, almost like the tail of a great snake or perhaps a mermaid. Yeah, and so in this prologue here we get a version of the South Sea Queen myth. At first, it seems like this prologue is set in historic mythic times, but we're later to learn that this is probably like eighteen eighty nine, because there's one hundred years prior to the picture. I guess it would have to be yeah, yeah, eighteen eighty eight, eighteen eighty nine something like that. Okay, So the south Sea Queen, as depicted here, seems to have an insatiable appetite for sex and death, inviting eager men into her castle where she loves them up and then she kills them via some form of implied vagina dentata attack. So she's on top of them, there are some everyone pulls some weird faces, and then there's a splurt of blood across everyone's bodies and they're done. The lover is dead.
Speaker 3: Yeah. We get the scene many times in the movie of a guy who's like really excited. He's like, oh boy, and then we just get the like the splurret of blood coming up his torso into his face.
Speaker 1: Yes, punished for his lust. And so in this sequence, she dispenses with yet another victim and then wonders aloud as she eats some grapes if anyone, if any lover out there can possibly satisfire. And that's when a handsome, heroic man boldly strolls in and seems to take her up on the challenge, and in the midst of their love making, he grabs a serpent from her, like from around her thighs. Which in turn transforms into a Chris that's a Javanese traditional asymmetrical dagger.
Speaker 3: Okay, I was curious about that word. I was hearing it throughout the movie. But yeah, it's sort of like a wavy looking kind of dagger.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So the eel snake thing turns into the knife.
Speaker 1: That's right. Right, So he's and you know, you quickly get the idea that he has. He has, you know, stopped her from killing him with her magic, but he's also kind of captured some of her magic whatever the details of it. She's outraged, and he's like, calm down, we're married now and the killings need to stop.
Speaker 3: But she doesn't like this. She doesn't like having her deadly eel power stolen. So she curses him.
Speaker 1: Right, she says, one hundred years from now, I'm gonna cut back and kill your great granddaughter, and then she wanders out into the sea to join the evil forces of the deep. And then we'll later learn that that castle apparently follows her into the depths, sinking beneath the waves.
Speaker 3: By the way, when she swears revenge, Rob, you were not really like shortening or summarizing at all. That's exactly. She just says, in one hundred years, I'll have my revenge on your great granddaughter.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, no additional additional details, And we don't even know how he really responds to it. I guess he's kind of shocked, but he's like, well, okay, fair, but no. I guess he's probably distressed because he thought they had a shot at actually making this marriage work and it very quickly fell apart. So we get our title, we get our opening credits, and then we fast forward to present day and we meet our protagonists for now, the young American anthropologist Tanya, whose research concerns the South Sea Queen.
Speaker 3: So she is in Indonesia, from what I understand, trying to complete her PhD. But it's funny because she talks about it more like a I don't know, like a high school student having to complete an assignment. She's like, I've got to finish writing this thesis or I won't graduate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't go to PROM. I can't go to the PhD prom if I don't get this done.
Speaker 3: But yeah, So she's there studying the south Sea Queen, but also doesn't seem to be all that knowledgeable about it, like she's kind of getting there and finding out things about Yeah, like, so, what's the deal with the south Sea Queen? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, this again, this is constable. This is the less convincing half of her performance before she becomes Lady Terminator. Right now, she's just Lady anthropologist, and so she's on the hunt for details about the south Sea Queen. We get a creepy research sequence in what I can only assume is a very hot attic library. That's the main vibe I got off of it. But she's asking around about forbidden books and quickly acquiring forbidden bur books and learning about the south Sea Queen.
Speaker 3: She also meets our wizard character.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right, and he's like you you shouldn't. You shouldn't dove into such things, and she's like, oh, but I want to, and he's like, okay, yeah. And so now that we have the library secuts done, we move on to actual fieldwork, a solo scuba expedition to the castle of the South Sea Queen on the bottom of the ocean on a chartered boat that features a grumpy captain as well as some guy named Popeye.
Speaker 3: Kind of an Indonesian quint character is the captain here. There's some Robert Shaw energy coming off of him, like he's drinking a beer out of a can, and he's arguing with her. He's kind of gruff, you know. He's like, you shouldn't go there to the I think first he dismisses her interest in the South Sea Queen is like, oh, that's a bunch of nonsense. And then he starts getting real. He's like, look, you don't want to do this, you don't want to mess around. But somehow I forget how she convinces him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean she she chooses logic first. She's like, we're living in the modern age. She cites people are building bay stations on the moon, you know, and he's like, that's right, they are totally doing that, and therefore my superstitious beliefs feel a little embarrassing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we're safe from the South Sea Queen.
Speaker 1: And then she kind of charms him a little bit and he's like, okay, we'll take you there again a solo scuba trip. So she goes in. We get a little stock footage of some very murky looking corals. She comes back up at first because something in her unit's not working right, then she goes down again, and then we get this great sequence where the water becomes disturbed and the captain like looks, he looks down, then he looks up, and then he's like, oh.
Speaker 3: God, what have I done?
Speaker 1: And then he's destroyed by a wave.
Speaker 3: Yes, I regret nothing, but Tanya is still down there. So she's descending to the sunken castle of the South Sea Queen.
Speaker 1: And something goes south down there, because the next thing we see she is in her black bikini strapped to the South Sea Queen's massive like hard platform bed that we saw in the prologue, and a supernatural snake or eel or something crawls up to her nether's and obviously possesses her either with the spirit of the South Sea Queen or as we have been discussing, at least the strong influence of the Southsea Queen.
Speaker 3: Right, And so from now on, she's just in terminator mode. And it's not one of those movies where somebody is snapping back to reality and becoming themselves again and they're like, what is taking over me? I don't understand this. It's not a werewolf type struggle. She's just a terminator From now on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Tanya, the lady anthropologist that you may be so invested in at this point in the picture is gone. You'll never see her again. Now she is a vessel of pure vengeance. So from here we cut to her emergence. She emerges a half naked on a midnight shore, Terminator style, bolts of animated blue lightning coming off of her body.
Speaker 3: She comes up on the shore, and much like in Terminator, she first comes across a group of a hard drinking punks out you know, for a night out on the town. They're drinking out of brown bags, I guess. And except these guys I think are having significantly more fun even than the group of punks including Bill Paxton at the beginning of Terminator, you know what I mean, Like, they will not stop laughing, and one guy is just he is so just goofully laughing it up that he can't stop urinating in a like a stream that's just blasting off of him while while he's talking to his buddy. It's it's hard to describe the energy of this scene.
Speaker 1: Yes, he basically screams, Oh God, I need a woman as he falls to his knees. Beer in one hand, cigarette in the other peeing into the air. These are the dirt bags that are about to get murdered by Lady Terminator. And that's that's basically how it goes down. She wanders up terminator style, still half naked, but now with a green necklace, like a jade necklace that's going to be important here in a bit. She approaches these these guys and they immediately offer for her pot and good times in their car, and basically she makes very short work of them death by snooz snow, and she takes their clothes, their boots, but she leaves their motor car behind exactly.
Speaker 3: And it's the kind of death we saw earlier where the guys like mid coitus and then suddenly like spray of blood up the stomach into the face.
Speaker 1: He's like, ooh, now for there. It's off to one of the many hotels that serve as locations for this film. A lot of this film seems to have been filmed in very nice looking hotels, and also airport runways and also some malls, some nice shopping malls. So seemingly our Lady Terminator has checked into the penthouse at this nice hotel, and we get this. It's kind of I guess a meditation scene or communing with the spirit of the south Sea Queen. It's pretty cool. They're gels. There's like I guess the MTV is playing on the TV. There's an enormous penthouse bar and she's like meditating topless before a portrait of the South of See queen that's on the wall.
Speaker 3: Why do they have that?
Speaker 1: I don't Yeah, I don't know if it was this there or it magically appeared. We get more of this time travel Terminator Highlander, the quickening lightning, and this ends up exploding liquor bottles, destroying lamps, lights up her eyes and nipples, and then the security guard shows up with an oozy and just gets immediately taken out. She just like yanks him by the collar and you know he's done.
Speaker 3: For So something I noticed is the lady Terminator is on a mission. She has a main target that she's going after, and we will find out it is the singer Erica, who I think we see on the TV.
Speaker 1: In this is that Erica? That would make sense, I think.
Speaker 3: So she's singing on the TV.
Speaker 1: So this is not merely meditation, this is research. She's like, yeah, she's seeking out Erica and then powering up so that she can go out and get her hook.
Speaker 3: Ah. That's the great granddaughter I'm supposed to get revenge on. So there there is that target. But I would say functionally, what she really hates in this movie is glass and crotches. Yes, those are the main things she attacks.
Speaker 1: Yes, she is going to shatter some glass and she's going to shatter some crotches. So much crotch violence in this picture. We have some great examples to share.
Speaker 3: You could just tell the director was never getting tired of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, So from here we cut to this location just screams expat bar. I don't know, I don't know where. I couldn't find it. I looked for more information about filming locations, even where in Indonesia everything was shot, and I didn't.
Speaker 3: Get a lot.
Speaker 1: So this is, I think, supposed to be New York City, but it's you know, some sort of a restaurant bar environment that has a bunch of Union jacks up.
Speaker 3: And then this is supposed to be New York City.
Speaker 1: I hate There was some detail in this dialogue that made me think it, what like, this is not supposed to be Indonesia, right, this is supposed to be Max. This is supposed to be Max's home country.
Speaker 3: Well, I had a lot of questions about where this was supposed to take place. Nothing really made sense, but I thought it was definitely not supposed to be anywhere in the United States, because at one point he calls his friends in the United States. He says, I'm calling putting in a call to my friends in the States, and he calls them and they answer and they come over.
Speaker 1: Is this in the bar scene or is this in a later scene?
Speaker 3: Maybe in a later scene.
Speaker 1: Okay, my read on this, this is a flashback. We don't know it's a flashback yet, but we'll find out that it's a flashback. I think this is Max in his former life, maybe in New York, maybe in Australia, who knows. But then we get some hint of a tragedy that forces him to then join the Indonesian police force.
Speaker 3: Okay, I think I'm confused about what Yes, you were right to probably write about this.
Speaker 1: Confused by this, But in this sequence, in this bar, we meet Max along with I think Snake and Tom are there, so that the Snake's presence does lead us to wonder if this is maybe actually Indonesia. I don't know, but basically what happens is there's a pretty lady in the bar. A couple of abusive eighties movie punks show up and they start harassing her, and so Snake and Tom and Max they bump, they bust him up, they drive them away, and then we almost immediately cut away from Max talking to this lady, to him pining tragically over a photograph of himself and said, lady, and apparently now he is a homicide detective in perhaps Jakarta.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's all making sense now. I was having fragmented memories I was starting to piece together. Yes, you're right. So so yeah, we see the flashback of him meeting his wife, and then immediately we cut to something terrible has happened. She's gone now and he's he's in Indonesia as a police officer for some reason.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it doesn't make sense, but this is what we have to work with. Yes, and they're almost immediately called out on a job. We get this, We get this hilarious hot dog conversation where we get the line, we've seen more dead bodies than you've eaten hot dogs. So shut up and eat.
Speaker 3: I'm saying that all the time.
Speaker 1: So they're called out clearly to investigate some of these south Sea Queen killings. They don't know it's the south Sea Queen yet, but there are some murders happening, and Max and his team are on the case.
Speaker 3: Is this the part where they go to the morgue to see the bodies and they're like, huh, the genitals were removed from all these men, and one of them is like, could be a small animal.
Speaker 1: That comes later, but this is that's like phase two of their work. Yeah, okay, but before we get that, we end up having to touch base with Erica, who we've I guess seen on the screen. We've talked about her already, but this is who will learn to be the curse great granddaughter of the Casanova from the opening prologue, the woman that the terminator, the lady terminator here is out to murder.
Speaker 3: So she's a popular music sensation and I think when we first meet her, she's being interviewed by like somebody comes up with a news camera microphone.
Speaker 1: For yeah, and what is clearly a very nice hotel lobby, but they're like, hey, this is Joe Peterson for Channel six tell us about how famous you are and can't you can you not wait to be famous? Like it's weird. They're interviewing her like she's a celebrity, but also asking her it's like, what do you think it's going to be like when you're famous? And she's like, I can't imagine. Well, she's she's still very much an everyday you know, girl who wants to go to the mall, and she does that in the next scene with her friend Lydia. They're trying on jewelry and there they particularly they go to a jewelry store and Erica is already wearing an authentic jade necklace that is identical to the one that Lady Terminator was wearing earlier, and just to confuse things even more, Lydia says, I'm going to buy an exact replica of your authentic jade necklace that you got from your ancestor. And everyone's like, this sounds like a good plan. Meanwhile, of course, Lady Terminator has already shown up at the mall and is stalking them.
Speaker 3: You don't actually get these sound effects, but as she's walking through the mall, you can just hear in your head like the.
Speaker 1: And Lady t is decked out in what will be her signature look for most of the picture, at least when she's not naked, she's wearing a green sports spra. She's got black leather jacket on, and then these like tight stitched, like open at the sides leather rocker pants like eighties heavy not heavy metal, but eighties metal pants. Yes, but she doesn't have the green necklace anymore now her necklace is black. For whatever reason, didn't notice that change. I should also point out that Lady Terminator has great hair. She has this like great zool esque head of Sigourney Weaver hair going on in most of the picture. And yeah, there's no denying constables a stone cold knockout in this end, evidently by virtue of the weapons training she's received ultimately pretty convincing firing all these guns, which she's about.
Speaker 3: To do right, because Erica and her friend they part ways, right, Eric has to go do something else and her friend goes into the bathroom, and for some reason, Lady Terminator goes after her first.
Speaker 1: Right, goes into the bathroom, shoots her with an oozy kills an innocent bystander and then she pulls the necklace off of her and quickly discerns that it's a fake. So the hunt continues, more stalking in the mall, more senseless murder of humans, and television.
Speaker 3: Sets had to break some glass, that's right.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, cut to the seaside and we see grand Uncle Masabu and he is meditating and clearly has a premonition that Erica is in trouble, and he draws the sacred Chris Knife knife and he realizes he needs to jump in there and help. Then we get the autopsy scene that we already describe.
Speaker 3: Okay, so it was not a small animal as they first suspect, But then they make some crude jokes and then also there is a there's some comic relief in the scene because the autop like the morgue attendant is just eating spicy noodles.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's just there eating noodles. They're like, you're disgusting, and he's like, I gotta eat. And from there we cut to the disco sequence that we referenced earlier. They later clarified that this is the Manhattan Club.
Speaker 3: The Manhattan Club is the tech noir of Lady Terminy.
Speaker 1: That's right, and this before anything even really happens in this scene, it's splendid. It's just great disco vibes. I like the way it's shot. I love the colors we hear most of, if not the entire song that Eric is performing. I wasn't able to hunt down what this song is or who who recorded it, where it came from, but I.
Speaker 3: Think like original it seems is the chorus says something like we fight, fight for life, we serve those in power. That was a little confused, But what is that really what it means as all we assist those in power? I think it says, well, it's everyone's having a great time here. It turns out that Max is here with one of his co workers, one of the other detectives named Jack. I believe, but we learned Max is living in the past. He's unable to move on. He can't fall in love again after whatever horrible things happened to his previous girlfriend. You know so many cop characters in movies, they're always they're taking it too personal, right the case the case is weighing on them. Max is not taking the job too personal. He's taken his own personal life too personal. Which is a refreshing change.
Speaker 1: Better work life balanced hard to.
Speaker 3: Say, be yeah, or work grief balance. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, of course this party ViBe's not gonna last. Lady T shows up, we get another massive shootout of those bottles on the bar. Don't stand a chance. Nope, she takes those out for sure. So there's an exchange of gunfire. Everyone's running for it. This is the scene where Max apparently blurts out, come with me if you want to live. But after Jack saves the day by like getting some rather impactful shotgun blast than on Lady T. But then Lady murders Jack and he's out of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think does she like twist his head or something? Yeah, So this is a pretty good chase. But this also is one scene where they're going to great lengths to copy exact shots from Terminator, Like the sequence where the Terminator gets knocked down and then you see his fingers twitch and he starts to get back up. They do the exact same thing there, so they're clearly copying a lot of staging. I mentioned this earlier, but did you notice the bartender in the tech noir bar here? He's got long hair and sunglasses and a cowboy hat. He's just great.
Speaker 1: I know, I wish you could have seen more of him. So this obviously erupts into it, like we're saying, another big chase scene, more explosions, gunfire, a burning lady terminator on the hood of their vehicle, everybody steals at least one car. But eventually they make it. They make it away to the point that they can start doing some computer research and pull up like a little computer image of Tanya and get a little more detail on what's going on.
Speaker 3: I'm impressed that they're able to get an image of Tanya's face on what looks like just like a green text command prompt.
Speaker 1: So at this point they they've got some more research finished and they start getting the adventuring party together. Max is invited to a night out in the town with the boys, and the boys instead are like, we're coming to help you. I think this is Snake and one of the other guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah. This is when he puts a call into what I took to be the States or are they coming internationally?
Speaker 1: To God, that's that doesn't make sense because that's that's a long and definitely not direct flight. I can say from experience.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, maybe I misunderstood that. But he does call his friends. They're like, we'll be there to help, and they will show up in a for a for a great final action scene.
Speaker 1: And then this is also when grand Uncle Masabu shows up to assist. He checks out Erica's ambulant and he's like, yep, this is it, this is how she's tracking you. But this is in but also, you know, drives some this is a sacred artifact, and so forth.
Speaker 3: He gives us a.
Speaker 1: Little more of the lore. Max isn't buying it though, he's like, this is nonsense, and then there's this light almost immediately. Erica says this to excuse him. She says, he hasn't been in our country very long.
Speaker 3: But this is also where we're going to get the magic dagger, right.
Speaker 1: That's right. Grandall Goomsabu passes on the Chris to Lydia, but he says, don't worry. I am here to protect you. And it's a good thing he's here to protect her, because the next scene is Lady Terminator driving in through the hotel slash police station's security and just killing everyone inside.
Speaker 3: So this is another copy of a sequence in Terminator where the Terminator comes to the police station where Sarah Connor is being held and attacks the whole police station looking for her. Lady Terminator does the same thing here, and it begins with, yeah, driving her car through the front desk.
Speaker 1: And this is the point where I noted from here on out it's almost continuous machine gun fire, like they're not going to let up. But at the same time, it never really gets.
Speaker 3: Bored well, because it maintains a level of absurdity. Like we mentioned how much she hates glass, so she is gonna shatter every piece of glass she comes across, every bottle, every window, all that. But she also hates crotches, and so in this scene, for example, she like shoots one guy like five hundred times and then after that kicks him in the crotch.
Speaker 1: That's right, She shoots him off of the rafters, he falls down, she says, where is Erica, and then just shoots him in the torso like two dozen times. Yeah, and then one good kick in the ball is for good measure. And then she goes on to just stylishly gun down the rest of the security detail one by one. Some of them she you know, shoots in the back, others she she very strategically shoots in the groin, multiple quality groin kills in this.
Speaker 3: I was like, she's aiming for the groin when she can, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Because that's the south Sea Queen's way, you know, that's that's part of her lustful vengeful mo o. Yeah, she is going to aim for the crotch whenever possible. I think, all in all, in this picture she kills like sixty two people. I didn't do the count myself, but I found one of these websites that includes kill counts for different characters and films like this, and I think it's something like sixty two people. It is a lot, all right. But you know who's going to put a stop to this? Grand Uncle Masabu, who shows up now dressed all in white, enters the fray and we get this amazing supernatural standoff between a grand uncle Masabu with the jade amulet and Lady Terminator with her machine gun.
Speaker 3: And you think maybe he's got the power to stop her. That would make sense.
Speaker 1: It seems like it's working at first, right, because she sees this guy, what is she gonna do? She's gonna shoot him, so she unloads on him with the machine gun, but the bullets are not touching him. He's totally matrixing this situation, and I guess the bullets are just passing through him. And she seems a little perplexed, a little worried, like, Okay, now this is a threat I wasn't prepared for. And then it's grand Uncle Masabu's move. He uses some sort of some form of telekinesis to make the jade amulet fly directly into her eye socket, knocking her down, and she seems to be down for the count. We're like, oh my goodness, I think he did it. I think he pulled it off. She's not gonna set up Michael Meyer's style and start killing people again.
Speaker 3: But unfortunately she does. Not only that, but she right. I feel like the grand uncle, he's a character of dignity, and you would have expected him to have a more dignified death, but no, it's once again just obscene, absurd crotch violence.
Speaker 1: Is this great moment where once she sets up, he glances down at his own crotch and he's like, oh, my crotch is not protected now, or he doesn't say that, but that's implied. And then she indeed pulls the machine gun out and just shoots him directly in the crotch multiple times. He falls against the wall and is dead.
Speaker 3: I felt this one. I like the grand Uncle.
Speaker 1: So from this point on, we of course get more machine gun violence that Max and Tom collect Erica and they take off. Somehow they make it out with only Tom suffering a single movie gun shot to the shoulder you know in the movie. Since it's not going to slow him down much. They drive off into the night, finally stopping in the country when they experience engine problems. Though Tom's not there anymore. I don't know where he went.
Speaker 3: I think they leave him behind when he gets shot. I thought, oh, okay.
Speaker 1: Not maybe they did, because he's not there in the countryside.
Speaker 3: I thought they're surprised when they see him alive again later.
Speaker 1: Okay, that I think you're correct.
Speaker 3: But this is where we're going to get several scenes again recreating scenes from Terminator. So the scene in Terminator is when Reese and Sarah Connor takes shelter under a bridge. They patch up their wounds, and they get some backstory. They talk about some of the themes of the movie, including fate and you know, whether or not the future can be changed and that kind of thing. And also you see their love beginning to blossom. This covers some of the same territory. But this is also the scene where we get the like does it hurt the bullet wound? Na of course this ky, this guy is not from the future. He's just a homicide detective, so there's nothing to talk about there. But you do get some of his tragic backstory, telling the story of how his wife was killed, and that's you know, the source of his pain now. But I don't know, for some reason, you haven't really seen any good reason for them to be falling in love, but they do. So Max and Erica they're like, okay, we're lovers now.
Speaker 1: Yeah. They have a tender love scene in which blood is not splurted anywhere and in which no snakes or knives factor into the love making at all.
Speaker 3: Also, in what I thought was a pretty funny choice, it also takes shots directly from the sex scene in Terminator.
Speaker 1: Well, speaking of ripping off Terminator shot for shot, now we go to the topless regenerations for Lady t. It's the gels are in place again. This is back in the I guess the same hotel Penthouse from before. The music here, I thought specifically sounded a little bit like Biosphere with a little bit of with with certainly those Terminator vibes as well.
Speaker 3: Yes, there's that. And this is going to be the scene from Terminator where his eye is damaged, so he has to take his fleshy eye out and reveal the you know, the machine eye Underneath's.
Speaker 1: A great sequence in the original Terminator, one that really stuck with me as a young viewer, and of course one that makes total sense. The Terminator is a machine. His eye is damage, his real eye beneath the flesh he has to make repairs, and therefore he has to you know, cut into his body is fleshy parts, remove the fleshy parts, and repair the metal.
Speaker 3: Underneath, right, and so his eyes will be shielded by dark sunglasses for the rest of the movie for that reason. But the lady Terminator, she's got to take her eye out, and you know what I'm going to say. I was fairly impressed by the makeup effects here. Yeah, they have like a copy of her head that looked convincing enough. She's like cutting into the eye with the scalpel. I was like ooh, how are they doing that? For a second before I realized like, oh wait, that's not really her, that's like a mannequin head. But it looks pretty good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, the effects were good. It's ripping off terminator, but doing it somewhat effectively. I don't know that it made any sense, because again, she's not a machine. There's no reason for her to take her eyeball out, and yet she removes her eyeball, seems to wash it off, and then there's some highlander quickening sparks off of it, and then she just sticks it back in and it's like, oh, all fixed up and ready for more sex and death.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's all right.
Speaker 1: But before that happens, there's a we get some more strong zool vibes because a bus boy shows up with breakfast, and of course he gets sex murder.
Speaker 3: He does not take any convincing. He shows up with the breakfast and she's like hey, and she does the little like curl the finger like come here. Yeah, he's just immediately like taking his tie off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like he's like an extra and a Benny Hill sketch and he is already at that like that frantic speed.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So she kills him. And then meanwhile, back at the mall, we're back at the mall again, the lovebirds Max and Sorry.
Speaker 3: This is this is the scene I mentioned earlier where it was really funny how they were running. They were on the run, and they're just suddenly at the mall and it seems like they're kind of taking it easy. They're just shopping.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Max and Erica here are on the run from a supernatural uh avatar of vengeance, and they're like, what if we went shopping? Maybe went to the food mall, And so that's what they decided to do. Maybe maybe they're thinking, you know where we'd be safe from Lady Terminator, a place with high population density. So of course Lady Terminator shows up again. More gunshots, more bystander deaths.
Speaker 3: Place is full of glass, Yeah.
Speaker 1: More glasses shattered, and our hero and heroin drive off again, this time I believe, intending to meet the rest of the team at the airport for a final showdown with Lady Terminator. That's right, this is another scene where everyone steals at least one car for the next phase of the action.
Speaker 3: Yes, but man, when they get to the to the airport runway for the final action scene. This is a good final showdown. Yeah, I give it two thumbs up. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I definitely had some jaw dropping moments here and also some enormous laughs. One early on is you know everyone knows im Predator. We get that great Dutch Dylan handshake. I guess you'd call it a handshake. It's like the Muscle moment where.
Speaker 3: Arm wrestling in the air sort of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like that's of course an awesome, iconic moment, but this film has four heroes working together, so we get a quadruple Dutch Dylan Predator handshake and it's it's glorious. It's really good, and we have plenty of red shirts around that are obviously going to get blasted. So yeah, basically everyone ends up on the airport tarmac and multiple elements are in play here. We have Lady Terminator driving around in a car.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 1: A helicopter is in play shooting air to ground missiles at Lady Terminator.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: Then we have Snake show up and he's what is he d like some sort of armored personnel carrier.
Speaker 3: They call it the Panzer. It looked to me just like a truck with like some stuff built around it. To make it look like a like a tank of some kind, but he's driving it and he's like ramming her with it and just cussing her out as he rams into her. That's yeah, so funny.
Speaker 1: Some hilarious profanity here. Yeah, the enthusiasm of the delivery is great though, Yes, so good. So yeah, he rams her, he like ty bones her vehicle, but she's clearly still a lot still alive, so Snake runs for it, and then the mustachio guy who I think is named Joe, fires a bazooka at her as well as the suddenly adjacent fuel tanker, and there's an enormous explosion, and I think it's Max who says, yeah that that should be enough to kill anybody.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but hey, we've seen Terminator, right, The Terminator gets blown up in an exploding tanker and they think they're safe, and they're not. Of course, it's going to rise up, having all of the flesh burned off of it and now being only the metal endos skeleton underneath. Not quite the case. Instead, she turns into a half melted sort of zombie being.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, kind of a zombie burnt up zombiefide form here. Uh, and she's even more unstoppable. Now, this is one of the cases where you often see sometimes the the hero does it, sometimes the villain does it. But late stage they find that that higher year that unlocks additional weaponry. This seems like could have been useful earlier in the picture, in this case laser eyes.
Speaker 3: And this is how our beloved Snake meets his end. I hated that they that the laser beamed snake.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Snake eats it here, takes some laser beams to the chest. I think they shoot her like a million more times, and she keeps coming, and we do get a moment where Max is like he acknowledges Snake's death and he goes so long, buddy.
Speaker 3: Oh, there's a couple of moments like that. There's another one where she the helicopter swoops down and catches her in a net.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Yeah, that was crazy. Catches her in a net, and then what does she do. She looks up and I blast the chopper and herself out of the sky.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she blows up the chopper. And then we cut to one of the buddies there who one of the guys says, it just kind of like blankly says like, tom My, buddy, it's so hilarious, like while the helicopter is still exploding mid fireball.
Speaker 1: Shrapnel flying everywhere, but he takes a moment to be like, yeah, tom My buddy.
Speaker 3: And then was that Tom in the helicopter?
Speaker 1: I was confused that I don't think we knew that that was not the other Tom. That will I think get back to here in just a second. That was a different Tom. She proceeds to so Lady Terminator at this point just proceeds to blow everyone and everything up with her ie beams and seemingly kills the other Tom or the Tom Prime we'll call him, in the process, the one played by the rockstar that we referenced earlier. Okay, Max runs out of AMMO. He tries to club Lady T with his machine gun, but she, you know, quickly like bashes him, beats him up, and now it's just Lady T chasing Erica up the stairs of what I assumed to be like an air traffic control tower, and things are feeling really dire here because there's no way there's going to be an industrial hydraulic press up there to defeat the Terminator.
Speaker 3: That's right, So what's she gonna do? But you do see tucked into the back of her clothes as she's running up the stairs. She still got the wrapped up gift from her grand.
Speaker 1: Uncle, Ah, the Sacred Chris. Yes, I didn't even notice it in her belt here, so I'd kind of forgotten about it. Because up at the top of the tower, Lady Terminator catches up, goes in for the kill. Max catches up, but he's not much use. She like throws him down a flight of stairs and and then she climbs on top of Erica and begins to like strangle her or something. But then that's when Erica pulls out the Chris.
Speaker 3: And is it sort of a Highlander type defeating the monster here? Is there some lightning involved?
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is great because she stabs a Lady Terminator with the Chris. There's like a quickening explosion with the animated blue lightning, and then the Chris floats in the air, glows and shoots off like a space ship into the night.
Speaker 3: Beautiful magnifico.
Speaker 1: So it's been dark this whole time, but now it seems like the sun is coming up, a light is coming back into the world, and so now we see our surviving couple. They've been bandaged up. They're grieving for the dead as they take them by on stretchers. And then they bring by Tom on his stretcher and he's seemingly still alive, and we get this great little exchange with him where he says, I want to live forever.
Speaker 3: That's great. No, no, that's actually an interesting, nice a line. Yeah, discovers after having been eyeball blasted by Lady Terminator or whatever happened to him, I forget.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's send you. He was definitely eyeball blasted, and he was shot with the ballistics earlier, so he's been through it at this point. But now his new goal is to just maybe not die and maybe ever. And I think it's understandable given what he suffered.
Speaker 3: Oh but hey, remember that voice that came in with narration at the beginning about the cupboards of recorded time. Oh yeah, comes back at the end. So as there's like a sunset or not sunset, it's the sunrise. I guess everything's everything's going okay now, and the voice comes in that says, the struggle within our souls is never ending. The life of man short and brutal torn between good and evil of the eternity around us. We know nothing. The stars look on They have been here long before man appeared on our small planet, and they will be here after we are no more. The end beautiful. What what does that have to do with it?
Speaker 1: I feel like it's a message that we learn too late for sure. Now it really does feel like the opening narration and the closing narration were perhaps one narration bit, and they were like, should we put this at the beginning or should we put at the end, And they're like, no, let's split it up, split the difference.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he learned only too late that eel is a biting creature.
Speaker 1: I guess the message is beware the south Sea Queen. Really, it just seems like a warning. I don't I think that's the main error in anyone's ways here is don't tangle with the south Sea Queen.
Speaker 3: I think that is it. Yes, if you know there, if you know of an evil deep sea sex goddess somewhere, you should you should not go to her palace.
Speaker 1: That's right. Even if you yourself are very confident, think about your great grandchildren, think about the legacy of your poor decisions. Beautiful though she may be.
Speaker 3: Well, that was Lady Terminator again. I think one of the wildest and funniest movies we have watched for this show.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, it's like both of these films. Not for everyone, but if it's for you, boy, it's a treat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're gonna need to be comfortable with a good bit of sex and violence, but it doesn't get much more absurd than this.
Speaker 1: All right, we're gonna go ahead and close out this episode of Weird House Cinema, but we'd love to hear from everyone out there. If you have other suggestions from the world of Indonesian cinema that you would like us to consider, write in. We would love to hear from you. Just a reminder that Stuff to Blow Your Mind is primarily a science and culture podcast with core episodes on Tuesdays and Thursdays and the Stuff to Blow Your Mind podcast feed, but on Fridays we put out Weird House Cinema, which is our chance to set aside most serious concerns to just talk about a weird film and at least as an experiment. Weird House Cinema also has its own separate playlist feed wherever you get your podcasts. However, you're getting Weird House Cinema. If you like it, leave a nice review, leave some nice stars behind. That's a good way to make sure we get to keep doing this. And if you to follow us on social media, we are STBYM podcast on Instagram and on letterboxed. If you are a letterbox user, you will find us as Weird House. We have a nice list of all the films we've covered over the years, and sometimes there's a peak ahead of what's coming up next.
Speaker 3: Huge thanks as always to our excellent audio producer JJ Posway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest a topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.