Speaker 1: Welcome to Talking Politics. I'm your host, Si Cup. What a wild week it's been. I mean I don't remember a week that hasn't been wild, but this one's been particularly wild.
Speaker 2: Let's go through it.
Speaker 1: We started off on Easter Sunday with President Trump posting the following profane message on.
Speaker 2: His truth social for all the world to see.
Speaker 1: Tuesday will be power plant Day and bridge Day, all wrapped up in one.
Speaker 2: In Iran.
Speaker 1: There will be nothing like it. Open the fucking straight, you crazy bastards, or you'll be living in hell.
Speaker 2: Just watch Praise be to Allah.
Speaker 1: That's a real That's a real thing that the President of the United States posted on his social media. Now, there's so much in that post that's alarming, obviously, but promising to commit war crimes, you know, isn't something that presidents usually just come out and say before they do them. Well, if that wasn't bad enough, on Monday, he threatened to run again, sounding very much like a cross between a Sith lord and Andrew dice Clay. He wrote, a whole civilization will die tonight, never to be brought back again.
Speaker 2: I don't want that to happen, but it probably will.
Speaker 1: However, now that we have complete and total regime change where different, smarter and less radicalized minds prevail, maybe something revolutionarily wonderful can happen.
Speaker 2: Who knows what the fuck?
Speaker 1: He gave it Ron an eight pm deadline on Tuesday night to open the straight or else, and then about two hours before that deadline, Trump announces he's reached a quote double sided ceasefire with Iran, which I guess is his way of saying both parties will adhere to it, which, yep, that's understood. That's what a ceasefire is, two parties agreeing to stop shooting for a time being. But like whenever he talks about war, it's always it always sounds like he just discovered a new war or a new word or a new concept, Like someone just told him there's this thing called a ceasefire and we can ask for one, and he's like, oh, do both.
Speaker 2: Sides agree to it? So it's like double sided cool.
Speaker 1: Yes, a double sided seasfire anyway, With plans to wipe out an entire civilization on hold for now, Trump said he's agreed to suspend the bombing in attacks on Iran for a period of two weeks.
Speaker 2: He wrote the.
Speaker 1: Reason for doing so is that we have already met and exceeded all military objectives and are very far along with a definitive agreement concerning long term peace with Iran and peace in the Middle East. This isn't relevant, but I'd like you to know that Trump capitalized the first letter of the words agreement and long term for no apparent reason.
Speaker 2: I just find that amusing.
Speaker 1: So with peace and victory declared, I guess we can all breathe a huge sigh of relief and move on with our lives, knowing that this excursion was a huge success. The world's a safer place. America got what it wanted. Right well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but not exactly. The so called double sided ceasefire that Trump bought into so just a bluff by Iran.
Speaker 2: He bought into it.
Speaker 1: It lasted mere hours, Iran's Levon oil refinery was hit, and a word on whether that was Israel or US, of course, just silence. Iran has continued to strike Gulf Arab states including Kuwait, Bahrain, Uae, Israel is intensified strikes and Lebanon, with Israel and JD Vans both saying Lebanon and Hezbala weren't.
Speaker 2: Included in the ceasefire.
Speaker 1: Our supposed Pakistani mediator disagrees with that.
Speaker 2: It's such a mess and we don't even know who to believe.
Speaker 1: Traffic in the Strait remained negligible, with reports that Iran briefly opened the Strait of Hormuz as directed by President Trump, and then closed it in response to Israeli strikes. Oil and gas prices have come down, but still remain significantly higher than they were before the war. We've retrieved none, none of the one thousand pounds of enriched uranium that was supposedly obliterated by US in our strikes last year. It's still under twenty feet of rubble waiting, I guess for Iranians to dig it up and then start, you know, enriching it again.
Speaker 2: There's been no regime change.
Speaker 1: The same guys are running it today that we're running it a month ago. So, in other words, other than degrading Iran's military somewhat, we've accomplished nothing, well, nothing good anyway. Here's what we have accomplished. Global energy prices are up, our allies are rattled.
Speaker 2: The Gulf States are.
Speaker 1: Being bombed, Iran sees no point in taking Trump seriously or doing what he says, because they don't respect him at all. And the president of the United States has already committed a war crime just by threatening to commit a war crime.
Speaker 2: So I'm sure you're asking the same question that I am.
Speaker 1: What are Republicans doing in response to Trump's illegal and ill advised war. What are they doing about his messing with the markets, his threats to leave NATO, his threats to commit war crimes, his failure to get anything meaningful out of a war that's already seen US casualties. What are they doing about his decision to ignore the issues that matter most to voters, like lowering inflation and the cost of goods. What are you doing about his obvious signs of cognitive failure. I'm so glad you asked nothing. Nothing, not a thing. They're not doing one thing about it.
Speaker 2: Nothing.
Speaker 1: Of the fifty three Republicans currently in the Senate and the two hundred and nineteen Republicans currently in the House, guess how many have come out to condemn Trump's threat to end to civilization? Four four, that's it, four Republicans in all of Congress.
Speaker 2: Both houses had.
Speaker 1: The courage to say what should be obvious and easy, which is that the president of the United States shouldn't be threatening to end to civilization.
Speaker 2: There are more obvious and easy.
Speaker 1: Things to say, like the President of the United States doesn't know how to get us out of a war that he started. And President of the United States is an incompetent fool, and the President of the United States went to war to distract us from this terrible economy, and the Epstein files. You could also say all of those things very easily because they're obvious.
Speaker 2: But no, they're totally silent.
Speaker 1: Goose stepping along as Trump self destructs and tries to take America down with him. What profiles encourage from this crowd, Right, the guy is a lame duck, Like, how hard would it be to say, it's time to take our country back, it's time to do our jobs again, it's time to reign in this obviously compromised president who's threatening nuclear war.
Speaker 2: Shouldn't be hard and yet nothing silence, cowardice.
Speaker 1: No Democrats for their part, well, they're weighing their options and being in the minority, none.
Speaker 2: Are particularly good or feasible.
Speaker 1: Talking about impeachment hearings, and that would be a purely political exercise, and.
Speaker 2: Trust me, one that Maga is dying for.
Speaker 1: They'd love to be back on defense, where they and Trump can play poor put upon victims again. They would love the distraction and time suck that impeachment would create. They'd love the news media to focus on something other than Trump's abject failures. They are hoping for impeachment Democrats should be wary of that. What about the twenty fifth Amendment that allows for the involuntary removal of a president during his term sort of And we're going to get into the details of that with my next guest after the break. But twenty fifth Amendment is tough too, because the process requires the vice president and a majority of the cabinet to declare the president unfit, and then Congress needs to confirm the removal with two thirds of a vote if the president disputes it. Now, considering jd. Vance has abandoned everything he once stood for and I mean everything, just to lick Trump's boots, I doubt we're going to get jd Vance to turn on the president. And considering Trump's acting ag Todd Blanche said that he'd thank the President and tell him I love you, sir. If he were fired. I don't think you're going to get this cabinet to turn on him either. So what can the legislative branch do?
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: It isn't as sexy as impeachment or the twenty fifth Amendment, but it's something if Republicans suddenly to wake up to their sworn oaths and duties as lawmakers. First, they should vote down Trump's ask for two hundred billion dollars in supplemental appropriations to fund continued war operations. They should put conditions on future funding, like no boots on the ground or nuclear threats, whatever they deem necessary. They should invoke the War Powers Resolution and for so withdrawal of troops if we get to that point, and they can and should pass new laws restricting the first use of nuclear weapons without a congressional mandate. They could also hold people like Marco Rubio and Pete Hegseth accountable with public hearings to find out once and for all, and on the record, what our mission is in Iran, what was our reason for going in? Like get on the record, because we've hat Telsea Gabbert d and I on the record saying there was no intel of an.
Speaker 2: Imminent threat from Iran. That's on the she's under oath.
Speaker 1: Now, either you believe her, which means you have to believe that Trump's justification for this war was a lie, or you believe she is lying and therefore hiding intel from us. Neither is a good scenario. Again, these things aren't sexy, but this is what we've got, and I think this is where we are. The good news is if there is any that it's a Trump and his war are so unpopular they're dragging Republicans down with them, which will make mid terms quite the reckoning. And that's where you come in. You just got to vote.
Speaker 2: You just got to vote, like this might be. I know we say this, I know I say this.
Speaker 1: I have been guilty of saying these are the most important mid terms of your lifetime.
Speaker 2: I think I've said that before. But like we're on the brink of nuclear war.
Speaker 1: You guys like these are the most important midterms of your lifetime.
Speaker 2: I don't know how the stakes could be any higher.
Speaker 1: As President's out of control, we Republicans in Congress are not being the check on him that they are supposed to be. We need everyone to go out and vote. Midterms are going to be bad, and if Republicans were smart, they'd start speaking up right about now about.
Speaker 2: It saving themselves, saving their their.
Speaker 1: Majority or what's left of it come midterms. Okay, when we come back, we'll go a little deeper on the twenty fifth Amendment with the author of a new book on the subject, Don't Go Anywhere.
Speaker 2: Welcome back.
Speaker 1: Joining me now is Rebecca Lubau. She's CEO and founder of Luba's Strategies. She's worked in government and in the nonprofit sector. She's author of the new book Keeping a Finger on the Button, Presidential Continuity and the Nuclear Age.
Speaker 2: Welcome doctor Lubau.
Speaker 4: Thank you great to be here with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean this book is so timely as we're engaging with a nuclear threshold state like Leke Iran, as our president is threatening to wipe out a civilization off the planet, which many took to mean nuclear strikes, but also as we're hearing more and more about the twenty fifth Amendment being invoked, and you deal with the twenty fifth Amendment quite a bit in your book, So I want.
Speaker 2: To start there. Take us back a little bit.
Speaker 1: What led to the ratification of the twenty fifth Amendment in the first place.
Speaker 3: Great, so it was about one hundred and seventy nine years since the Constitution before the ratification of the twenty fifth Amendment, and basically Article two, Section one provides for the vice president taking over for the president should the president die in office, but that left.
Speaker 4: The vice presidency vacant.
Speaker 3: There were no provisions for if a president was left enabled and could not assume the powers and duties at the office. There was no line of succession past the vice president. So all of these were debated from time to time throughout history until the ratification. In fact, there were eight unplanned presidential successions and sixteen unplanned you know, vice presidential vacancies. And then there was activity in earnest really around the time of the dropping of the bomb. So there was originally that was like seventeen ninety two provided for some legislative succession after the vice president, so this Speaker and the Senate President pro tempop would step into that role. Then eighteen eighty six there was some activity. It changed the order of success became just a cabinet line of succession, so they skipped over the speaker and the Senate President pro tem and then and then you really see you know, nineteen forty five is the dropping in the bomb. Nineteen forty seven, you see with Truman the Presidential Succession Act, and Truman had a great relationship with House Speaker Rayburn, so in part for that reason and in part because he felt that executive succession was undemocratic, because these cabinet officials were not elected by the charity of the populous. So he put in place, you know, the Presidential Succession Act of nineteen forty seven put in place this executive line of succession. And then you see Eisenhower and Nixon had a letter agreement. Kennedy and Johnson also did the same, and then Kennedy was assassinated.
Speaker 4: So in this the wake of the Kennedy.
Speaker 3: Assassination and this period of great anxiety around nuclear their warfare, that's when you see this activity really pick up. And so February tenth, nineteen forty seven, after much debate, and then of course three quarters of states have to ratify you see, finally and amendments that addresses these issues, although it left us with some holes and gaps, some purposeful that my book keeping a finger on the button towards the and I suggest some ways in which we can build some of these gaps.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I want to ask you about the gaps, but before I do, you also say that multiple administrations amplified that anxiety of the nation. Was that was that intentional or was that just how they maneuvered through the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So, and it's a lot about the rhetoric of the president.
Speaker 3: You see this in particular, you know, during the colds War and you know other things.
Speaker 4: Is that that take place?
Speaker 3: In fact, I listened to your podcast on Artemis too and really great and nineteen fifty seven's Buttnick for example. Finally there was this this method to deliver bombs. So not only did the Soviets develop the bomb quite quicker than American scientists thought they would, but now this this what was science fiction became reality. Right, there was this ability to deliver these nuclear missiles. So you see, you know, the rhetoric change, and and you also see politicians preparing for both continuity the president and and then you know the civil preparedness, continuity of government and continuity of you know, society.
Speaker 4: And then that's also echoed in culture.
Speaker 2: Right, So do you think like without.
Speaker 1: The advent of nuclear energy, would we not get the twenty fifth Amendment?
Speaker 3: You know, that's that's an interesting because it does seem like Kennedy's assassination and this you know, now that we're in this modern era of globalization, the speed, time and pace of communications has increased. So I think it was the proximate and prime cause. But a really important reason was this nuclear anxiety. And so I've examined unline archives. I was fortunate to talk with the author of the amendment, US Senator birch By before he passed, and he said, I said, you know, Senator, was nuclear anxiety on like in the back of your mind, you know, early on in my research process. And he said it was impossible for it not to be on the forefront rather back of his mind, And so I would dug into the archives.
Speaker 4: I was fortunate to have access the US Senate Historians.
Speaker 3: Archives, and you can see throughout congressional debate in both houses and in the States, how this fear of a nuclear armageddon pushed the process forward.
Speaker 2: So interesting.
Speaker 1: So you mentioned there are gaps in this amendment just relevant for today.
Speaker 2: Talk about what some of those gaps are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So the first one is I think perhaps most relevant is inability. What constitutes inability, and that hasn't been decided. So usually when like the I think we're up to eighty five the congressional members who are calling for the twenty fifth Amendment right now, but when they're calling for the twenty fifth Amendment, they're usually calling for Section four of the amendment. And so really the twenty fifth Amendment allows for the president to decide that he's enabled and then take back the responsibilities, the powers and duties when he decides he's able.
Speaker 4: The section four says, well, if he's in a.
Speaker 3: Position of inability and he can't make that call, then the vice president and a majority of cabinet or a body that Congress so provides designates by law will.
Speaker 4: Make that decision.
Speaker 3: So the Congress has not designated a body, which I think they should do, and that body should be composed of experts that are nonpartisan, impartial and there yeah, and that don't owe their positions of power to the president like the vice president and the cabinet do, right, right, So that's the first issue is what constitutes inability.
Speaker 1: So that part inability that has never gone up to a court level that adjudicated or delineated codified exactly what that means.
Speaker 2: That hasn't done that yet.
Speaker 3: No, And there's been a number of you know, commissions and studies and fat former President Carter was on a commission to determine and you know what would comprise this body? You know what type of medical experts? Who gets to decide? Does the president shoose, does Congress get to choose members? Does it include maybe psychiatrists? And for example, to you know, determine to make this determination and then you know, this body would be more likely than the president and the majority of the cabinet to suggest invoking Section four.
Speaker 4: And I think it would probably still be up to the vice.
Speaker 3: President because all of the mechanisms of the twenty fifth Amendment revolve around the vice president.
Speaker 1: Right, So for all the folks, and we talked about this a little bit before the break, for all the folks talking about invoking the twenty fifth Amendment, just in today's political landscape, with what we know about JD Vance for example, for what we know about this cabinet. We've all seen a cabinet meeting where they go around obsequiously, you know, praising the president. Does it impossible that the vice president and a majority of the cabinet would vote to invoke this.
Speaker 3: In short, no, And I did study this in periods of high nuclear tensions during the Cold War. And for example, if you look at Reagan and the assassination attempts in March in nineteen eighty one, you know, his lung was punctured and he you know, he made a show and he sort of stumbled into the hospital and then you know, he was joking and things like that.
Speaker 4: But that was exactly.
Speaker 3: When if he was going to be knocked out with anesthesia. That's exactly a situation in which the framers of the twenty fifth Amendment thought that it should be invoked, whether my president and the cabinet, if he was already enables or if he knew that he was going into surgery and.
Speaker 4: You know, should invoke it.
Speaker 3: So it shows these these patterns where you know that it's not going to be invoked because the individuals around the president are concerned about their power, and the president himself is concerned about his imagery. Because the thought with Reagan was he might recover from this punctured lung, but he wouldn't recover from the imagery of appearing week and an Aga and yeah, so that is so it's very unlikely that Section four would be invoked successfully.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then I can't believe I'm asking this question, but it is relevant what what happens to the nuclear codes during this period of transition, if that were ever to happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So that's interesting because, as you know, the president has someone who follows him with this nuclear football, and the nucletar football itself is really interesting because in some ways is the only physical manifestation of the nation's head of stage right, because King Charles, for example, as the orb and the scepter and the crown and all the president as head of statelely has is this.
Speaker 4: Nuclear football and the codes.
Speaker 3: And during the Reagan assassination attempt right after that, you know, the codes were in a soup pocket, you know, kept by the.
Speaker 4: FBI as evidence.
Speaker 3: They weren't even with you know, the president at the time, and so it was it's just really, you know, importance is such an important, you know, like topic though we haven't really considered. And after January, during January sixth, during the insurrection of the Capitol, when the mob was sort of looking for Vice President Pence, they got within about one hundred feet of him and his nuclear football, and he just escaped down a different card.
Speaker 4: So and you know, had they gotten hold of them, they probably couldn't have done much with it.
Speaker 3: But you know there's really you know, terrorist groups and things would have paid for that information to try to figure out how it worked.
Speaker 4: So really really scary. But and and of course.
Speaker 3: One of the other things I suggest in the book is that we really need to take a look at the president and the fact that he is the sole authority over nuclear weapons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, especially this president, right, this president has in many ways become sort of the test case for so much of what's in the Constitution and why it's in the constitution for a president like this who wants to test it constantly and really doesn't have.
Speaker 2: A ton of affection.
Speaker 1: For its legitimacy, and it's and it's supremacy. So it's really interesting. And I can't think of more like high stakes than nuclear war at this time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right, And and so that's why I mean, I think people are thinking the fact that he threatens the end of civilization, which implies potentially the use of a nuclear weapon, and the fact that the chances of him using a nuclear weapon are not zero.
Speaker 4: That on zero should.
Speaker 3: Make I think everyone around the globe concerned and hopefully make policymakers focus on this issue and act.
Speaker 4: But the thing with the.
Speaker 3: Twenty fifth Amendment and these eighty five members of Congress that are so far that are calling for it, is that the twenty fifth Amendment was never designed to remove a president permanently. So it was designed to address these issues of inability, but it wasn't designed to be used for political disagreements, policy disagreements, or even you know what might be unfitness or even like some people say, well his presidential temperament, right, he's rash, and so it wasn't designed to be used in any of these cases.
Speaker 1: So that kind of makes it sound like a pipe dream for those of those people who are wishing that would happen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I think, well two thoughts on that.
Speaker 3: I think impeachment is actually more plausible, and it requires seventy more votes in the House the twenty fifth Amendment than impeachment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so the lower threshold exactly.
Speaker 3: And my other thought is something I suggest it's actually a constitutional law scholar Brian Calls, who originally suggested it, but that perhaps taking a flexible view of the twenty fifth Amendment and the Constitution in cases of irreparable catastrophe. So something like this where the president has this finger on the nuclear button and is about to press it, that perhaps at that point the twenty fifth Amendment could be invoked, even though perhaps he's not enabled, just so that his head, he'd like cooler heads would prevail. He would be temporarily removed, you know, his hot head could cool off, and then you know, at then perhaps you know, he could regain the presidency, because again it was not the twenty at the moment wasn't designed for permanent removal.
Speaker 2: Whereas oh, yeah, it's so interesting.
Speaker 1: The book is keeping a finger on the button, presidential continuity and the nuclear age. Doctor Rebecca Lubou, thanks so much for joining us. This was really interesting. And before I before I let you go, we like to end with an exit poll of three questions of varying degrees of seriousness. So my first question to you is what's your favorite movie about presidential power?
Speaker 3: That's interesting and I do address you know, this anxiety in culture culture, yeah, around nuclear weapons, and so I do trace some that by film books. Yeah, movies song TV, and I would think that relevant to the topic that the nineteen sixty four is Stanley Kubrick movie Doctor Strangelove or How I Stopped Worrying and Learned to Love the Bomb is the quintessential movie on their topic, right, So that's the one where it insane. US General orders a strike, orders a strike on Moscow, and so the US President, in order to avoid additional retaliation by the Soviets, offers to strike New York with a nuclear missile.
Speaker 4: Not that it's on the National.
Speaker 3: Registry, you know, the Film Registry and the Library of Congress, I think speaks to its enduring cultural significance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good one. I you know, as a kid, I was really captivated by war games. Yeah, that's a good one.
Speaker 1: And then later in life, Some of All Fears is a really really good movie about how bad things could go because of miscommunication and bad actors and the messiness of those moments.
Speaker 2: So there's some some a bunch of really good ones. Second, who's a policy person.
Speaker 1: That you really like on this topic for our listeners to go and find besides yourself?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think maybe Ted lu right, he has the twenty seventeen restricting first use of NIKO the Weapons Act that was reintroduced you know, in every Congress from least from one hundred and sixteenth to the one hundred and nineteenth. Jamie Congressman right, and Jamie Raskin too, he's more than one. The second time with Speaker Nancy Pelosi at the time, introduced one on inability and creating a medical body.
Speaker 4: So I would like to see that.
Speaker 2: They're on the forefront of this. Yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: And finally, how do we ensure that our democracy continues?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 3: Well, I think we've been talking about how to ensure that human kind and continue.
Speaker 4: So I think that that's first and foremost.
Speaker 3: Yes, But also our democracy, I believe is also imperiled.
Speaker 4: And I think you know, it's if.
Speaker 3: The people lead, eventually the leaders will follow.
Speaker 4: You've you've heard that saying, so.
Speaker 3: You know, continue to you know, reach out to your legislators and and your vote is your voice, so keep keep voting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're in it.
Speaker 1: We're in an election year, guys, you're going to get your chance just a few months.
Speaker 2: Get out there. Okay.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much to uh doctor Rebecca Lubou and thank you for joining.
Speaker 2: We'll see you next time.
Speaker 1: Off the Cup is a production of iHeart Podcasts as part of the Reason Choice Network.
Speaker 2: If you want more, check out the other.
Speaker 1: Reason Choice podcasts, Politics with Jamel Hill, and Native Land Pod. For Off the Cup, I'm your host, SI Cup editing and sound designed by Derek Clements.
Speaker 2: Our executive producer are me A se cop Lauren Hanson, and Lindsay Hoffman.
Speaker 1: Rate and review wherever you get your podcasts. Follow or subscribe for new episodes every Wednesday.