Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's our two on this Thursday, Dan and the Dann's Dan Patrick Show. It feels like a Friday. We have a meet Thursday because we're going to Atlanta after the show and then we'll tape Celebrity Family Feud tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Eight seven seven three.
Speaker 2: DP show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP show. We're gonna have wings today because well, Marvin's talking about going to Magic City in Atlanta, which is within walking distance of our hotel. It's a gentlemen's club and they serve wings. They're known for their wings there, and I thought I might not go to Magic City tonight, but why don't we have wings for my birthday? The lemon pepper wings, Buffalo wings, Taianki Wings, Caesar salad, and smoked shrimp cocktail.
Speaker 3: Who has it better than we do?
Speaker 2: Noddyst Out of the day Brought to you byy Pennini America. The official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. Go to Tailgate. You want Tailgate moonshine, It's available. You go to Danpatrick dot com click on the spirits tab. Also, something we've been working on for a long time. Last time it was available ten years ago. So you can get a special deal with this a gift with select purchases of Tailgate Moonshine go to Danpatrick dot com. We didn't settle on a poll question for hour one, how about we do that for hour two and then we'll get to our good buddy Ross Tucker Seaton.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're gonna go ahead and put up there.
Speaker 4: What we were just talking about. What should Steph Curry do?
Speaker 3: Mmmm?
Speaker 4: He could do another year with the Warriors, he could look for another team, or he could just retire.
Speaker 2: What's his contract situation? Does he have two years left on his contract? I'd like to know what they're doing with Draymond Green and are they gonna stay with Jimmy Butler.
Speaker 5: Yes, Paulie, I have Steph Curry having one more year on contract at fifty nine million dollars.
Speaker 3: Okay, Celtics rolled the Knicks.
Speaker 2: They shot forty five percent from three point range, and if the Celtics do that, they're going to win.
Speaker 3: New York's still up three to two.
Speaker 2: The series now shifts to New York, where the Celtics are two and a half point underdogs.
Speaker 3: On Friday Night, Wow, the.
Speaker 2: Pressure on the Knicks, the Celtics, they can be free, they can be loose. If you don't win, well you didn't have your best player. But the Knicks in the garden and if you lose and it goes back to Boston, might be the final night for the Nuggets. The Thunder are four and a half point favorites in Denver with that game. So you have Game six coming up tonight Thunder and the Nuggets PGA championship underway in North Carolina. It's Quail Hollow And the NFL schedule was released last night, which means we make the smooth segue to Ross Tucker, CBS Sports Westwood One, NFL college football analyst, host of the Ross Tucker Football podcast, and he was also hosting Westwood ones Live NFL schedule release show last night. Ross, great to see you. What stood out from the schedule release last night?
Speaker 6: Well, I think the first thing that stood out to me, Dan is that Westwood one even has a schedule release show on the radio, and that they.
Speaker 7: Asked me to do it.
Speaker 6: I'm as curious as anybody to hear what the ratings are like for people hearing me talk about.
Speaker 7: The schedule that come out.
Speaker 8: It's really unbelievable the way Ross. It's kind of like this show. We don't want to know the numbers. It's just let us assume a lot of people are watching and listening.
Speaker 3: That's all. Don't get caught up at that.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's changed so much from when I was a player. But like the Today's Show and Good Morning America, they're like announcing these games during the NBA playoffs, which is hilarious.
Speaker 7: By the way, Happy Bird, I'm honored to be on during your birthday.
Speaker 6: Please don't talk about wings and a nice salum about to have like a yogurt parfe or something in my house.
Speaker 7: But you know, so it's so funny.
Speaker 6: Dan, as a former player, the first thing that jumped out to me about the schedule is the Cowboys.
Speaker 7: My mind is blown. Right now, they get four weekends off.
Speaker 6: Okay, they have four Thursday games all right now. Two of those are back to back, so they'll just have a regular week when they have them back to back, but they have a bye and then those other three Thursday games. If you're a player and you have a Thursday game, you get the weekend off. So you know, fans don't look at this as much as like a player does. But it used to be you only have one by week and maybe you get the weekend off, but the coach still might have you something to doing something on Friday. The Cowboys players having four weekends off during football season is like the crazy thing I've ever seen.
Speaker 3: Okay, but do you think, like, why would the NFL do this?
Speaker 6: Well, because they want to put the Cowboys in as many standalone games as possible, not just.
Speaker 3: Gonna be good. The over under seven and a half wins.
Speaker 7: It's unbelievable.
Speaker 6: You know what, It doesn't matter that they care about the ratings.
Speaker 7: I literally just.
Speaker 6: Interviewed Mike North, the VP of broadcasting for the NFL, for the Ross Tucker Podcast, and I was really curious about Thanksgiving right the Thanksgiving Day game is Chiefs Cowboys. And my argument to Mike was, everybody watches the Thanksgiving game anyway.
Speaker 7: Like everybody.
Speaker 6: Do you know anybody that doesn't have the game on the TV on Thanksgiving?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Their point was, let's see if we can break records. Let's not just.
Speaker 6: Say hey, everybody's gonna watch anyway. We're gonna get thirty five million people. Let's see how far we can take this thing and push the limit. And the Chiefs and the Cowboys are easily the two highest rating teams in the NFL right now, which is why they put them together on Thanksgiving.
Speaker 2: The first thing that jumped out at me is the Steelers playing the Jets to open the season. And do you do this as just a oh, we didn't realize that, or is it Well, of course we're going to open up with this because Aaron Rodgers is going to play Week one for the Steelers.
Speaker 6: Well, at a minimum, they know that Justin Fields it's an awkward situation because he got benched last year. The Steelers tried to resign a this offseason. They wanted him when they couldn't get Matthew Stafford. They wanted to bring Fields back, but not enough. They didn't pay him enough, and Field's probably wasn't happy about getting benched.
Speaker 7: I don't blame him, so he goes to the Jets.
Speaker 6: So there's already a built in intrigue in storyline.
Speaker 3: I can't buy into the Justin Field storyline.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm going to watch I do like Justin but I'm not going, Oh man, this is payback time for Justin Fields against the Steelers.
Speaker 7: The Rogers thing.
Speaker 6: I think that they strongly suspect Rogers will play for the Steelers, and that obviously takes to another level, which I think brings up a really interesting point. At this point, Dan, why hasn't Aaron signed yet?
Speaker 7: Okay, you could.
Speaker 6: Have made the argument if he's gonna play, you could have made the argument he wanted to wait to see how the draft played out.
Speaker 7: Right, at this point.
Speaker 6: The only reasonable I'll say this, there's two reasonable arguments for why he hasn't signed yet.
Speaker 7: One is that you never know what happened.
Speaker 6: With other teams like Derek Carr and the Saints retiring, and theoretically that gives him another option. Or two, he doesn't want to take crap from people like me for not being at the offseason program.
Speaker 7: He doesn't want to go to Pittsburgh.
Speaker 6: And may he does not want to do OTAs, he does not want to do mini camp.
Speaker 7: He's gonna wait as.
Speaker 6: Long as he can so he doesn't get criticism for that.
Speaker 7: I got news for you, Aaron. I'm gonna criticize you anyway.
Speaker 6: If you know you're gonna go to the Steelers and you're with a new team, a new offense with Arthur Smith all those other guys are out there with phase two of the offseason program right now. Don't tell me you're committed. Don't tell me you want to win games this year. Don't tell me it's a priority if you're not there working with your new teammates in your new offense.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to figure out those some of these teams who are going to be in primetime, like the Dolphins, Well, the Dolphins have like five primetime games?
Speaker 3: Correct? Why?
Speaker 6: Dan, we're sharing a brain here. That was one of the things I was going to bring up. If you brought it up. The teams, I'm surprised. So the primetime games is the most interesting aspect of the schedule release because that's the NFL telling you who they think will be good or interesting and who they think won't. Right, So no primetime games for the Browns, Titans or Saints. Titans maybe the most interesting there since they just had the number one overall pick, who people already feel like got disrespected.
Speaker 7: But the Dolphins, I think the Chargers is interesting that they got five primetime games.
Speaker 6: The Falcons, the Atlanta Falcons, Okay, five primetime games?
Speaker 3: Why why?
Speaker 6: Like they're not even the favorite in the NFC South, which isn't a great division.
Speaker 7: The Bucks are, and then I think the Niners is interesting, right.
Speaker 6: The NFL is betting on a big comeback from the Niners. But I agree the Dolphins jumped out to me for sure. Among that group of teams, they all get five primetime games, where the Titans, Saints, and Browns get zero.
Speaker 2: You don't want to see the Browns in primetime, do you? Unless Shador Sanders is playing.
Speaker 7: I do want to see him.
Speaker 6: You know why, because I think it's gonna be Shador Sanders Dylan Gabriel starting.
Speaker 7: If you look at the trade they made week one.
Speaker 6: I don't know about Week one, but I think both of those kids are going to start a bunch of games this year so that the Browns find out what they have in them.
Speaker 2: I mean, okay, but could you imagine this, Ross we're talking to Ross Tucker. Okay, what if Shadoor Sanders ends up starting for the Browns and Aaron Rodgers doesn't play for the Steelers and they have Mason Rudolph and they decided to pass on Shadoor Sanders. I think shoud Or Sanders is going to play he's going to start games this year for the Browns. But Pittsburgh we thought was going to take him and they passed on him. Well, you know everybody did, but that to me, could you imagine if he starts for the Browns and let's say he is good, you have Mason Rudolph and you decided to pass on Shador Sanders. How do you think that's going to go over in Pittsburgh?
Speaker 6: Not real Well, especially when they could have taken him with that third round pick.
Speaker 7: You know you can argue, Okay, he's not worth the first rounder.
Speaker 6: They didn't have a second rounder when they passed on him in the third round. I was floored because he had this great meeting with Mike Tomlin.
Speaker 7: By the way, Mike Tomlin evidently has a lot of great meetings. He had a great meeting with Theirs. He had a terrific meeting with Sador Sanders.
Speaker 6: You know what the problem is, neither one of those guys played for the Steelers.
Speaker 7: Well, it's the meeting for.
Speaker 2: All surgeries are successful surgeries on athletes, right, All Mike Tomlin interviews are great interviews. You know, the only team that we've heard, like the Giants, didn't have a good interview with shaidor Sanders like that came out and everybody criticized the reporters say, hey, you know, put a name to this, and you know whatever, They didn't have a good meeting with Shador Sanders. But I do think he's going to start games for them, and uh, I think that that's going to be an interesting storyline no prime time games. I don't know if there's any flex in at any point during the season where you go, you don't let's take the Cleveland Browns because of Shador Sanders.
Speaker 3: I would do that.
Speaker 7: I totally agree.
Speaker 6: Let's look at this logically, right if you think about what the Browns did with the Travis Hunter trade and getting the Jaguars first round pick in twenty twenty six, they clearly, I think, realize they don't have a franchise quarterback. They need to try to find one. And what I would argue is why does it make sense. I mean, maybe they'll do it for a couple games, but does it make sense to start Joe Flacco and Kenny Pickett this year?
Speaker 7: The Browns are not going to the Super Bowl.
Speaker 6: They're highly unlikely to even go to the playoffs. I think that they took Gabriel and then in particular Shador Sanders.
Speaker 7: I think they thought it was value. I think it's a couple of lottery tickets.
Speaker 6: Let both these guys start five or six games this year. Maybe we hit on one of them, maybe one of them is the starter, and then we can use those two first round picks next year to make the team better around him.
Speaker 7: If not, no harm, no foul.
Speaker 6: We'll get our franchise quarterback next year with these two first round picks in a draft that's considered to be much better at the quarterback position.
Speaker 2: Would you rather watch Travis Hunter play or should or Sanders play?
Speaker 6: Ooh, I'm gonna say Travis Hunter. I think I'm curious about Shador just like everybody else's.
Speaker 7: But I'm fascinated by Travis Hunter.
Speaker 6: I told you last time I was on I think he's the best college football player I've ever seen, and I just want to see him play both ways, see how well it goes, and see what he is on both sides of the ball, and if it makes sense, like if he's an above average starter on both sides and he's playing a lot of snaps, does that make sense? Or would you rather have him try to specialize in one and be elite because average starters get one sound, Elite players or above average starters get one salary.
Speaker 7: Elite players get paid a lot more.
Speaker 6: This is We've never seen it before and I'm fascinating to see how it plays out.
Speaker 3: Great to see you. Thank you, Ross.
Speaker 7: Always, Happy birthday man. Thank you ver so much for having me.
Speaker 2: Ross Tucker, host of the Ross Tucker Football Podcast. He also calls games for CBS Westwood.
Speaker 3: One at Birthday Man. He's always in a good mood.
Speaker 2: He is energy, always in a good mood. He's sort of a grown up version of Russell in the movie Up. He's just in a good mood. Always great dude man. Yeah, yes, really yes, he's in a great reaction to our audience. When Ross is all right, well take a break. Jason Kidd, the Mavericks head coach, will join us. Coming up next year. Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 9: Hey Steve Covino and I'm Rich David, and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's.
Speaker 3: Going on in the world.
Speaker 9: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well, other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, i'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 3: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 9: Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: BGA Championship getting underway. Quay o'hallow. You know there was an interesting quote about this golf course. Now, I played this golf course. This is many many years ago, beautiful golf course. But there was a quote that I saw. Hunter Mayhan used to be a top top golfer. He said that he was describing this golf course. He said, quail Hollow is well like a Kardashian. It's very modern, beautiful, well kept, but it lacks a soul or character.
Speaker 3: Golf stras. Yeah, who would have.
Speaker 2: Thought the Kardashians and Quaylehollow would be trending the same time? Eight seven seven to three DP show email address DP at Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle a TP show Steven Oregon, Hi Steve, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 10: Go more to missus Patrick, Happy birthday, Thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 11: Steve Hey.
Speaker 10: So I heard Paully talking for the show about inspirational content to watch head it down to the appearance on Family Feud Miracles A good choice, but let me point you to a more efficient process. All you have to do is pull up Noop Dogg's appearance on the show and watch the speed round footage. And what that's going to do is it's going to show you how to thread that needle of that I think only Fritz he can thread, which is gameplay not so much, but content very high. So I'll hang up and listen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very high. No pun intended there with snoop. Aaron in Michigan, Hi, eron what's on your mind today?
Speaker 12: Good morning, DP, first time, longtime five eight one seventy five. I wanted to call in and say happy birthday. We share the same birthday, same month, same day, different year.
Speaker 3: Well, happy birthday, Erin, thank you, good luck more guys, all.
Speaker 2: Right, happy birthday and a happy birthday.
Speaker 3: Lathan in Texas, Hi, Lathan.
Speaker 13: Good morning, mister Patrick, have birthday to you.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 13: You do not look at a day past thirty five.
Speaker 3: Thank thank you.
Speaker 13: I agree with Seaton on this Aaron Rodgers thing. I personally think that if you were considering playing again post retirement or this is I'm joint to retirement playing again, and you figured out that the person that screwed you over is your Week one opponent, then that's going to make you want to play even more.
Speaker 3: I don't think that.
Speaker 13: I don't think the Steelers have really much to do with it, but I think Aaron, knowing that he could play the Jets Week one, gets him a little more off the couch. Oh.
Speaker 2: I don't know if Aaron like he's going to come back just because he wants to prove the Jets wrong and you're going to face them week one. I just find it highly coincidental then that we're going to make this about justin fields getting back at the Steelers. I mean, they're going to play each other, we know that, but to lead off this season with them, that's just what If you said it was week seven, then I'd be like, Okay, I wouldn't have read anything into it. But week one, it just fel you know, in the NFL manipulates the schedule. They decide who's in prime time, they decide who's going to be overseas, So why wouldn't you manipulate this if you thought you were you could do it for the right reasons. And that is Aaron Rodgers playing for the Steelers against the Jets. That's the only thing I thought of. And like, Miami's got five prime time games. I don't know why, but they win eight games last year and this is a make or break season. It feels like for the head coach, the quarterback probably throw in Tyreek Hill as well. This might be last call when you think about what they've done trying to do. Buffalo is still great.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Watching Miami, Yeah, Pauling.
Speaker 5: Didn't you think going into the draft or after the draft that ty Kill would be shipped?
Speaker 3: I did, Yeah, I did.
Speaker 2: It almost felt like he wanted to be And then he sends out these cryptic messages or emojis, and then you're like, OK, I don't know what he's saying. You know, the King of emojis. I don't know what he's saying in his emojis. But it felt like he wanted to get out before everybody wanted to get out. But I think this is this is one of those years for Tua stay healthy and make the playoffs, and Mike McDaniel, you're probably a make or break year for your head coach as well. What's Tyreek thirty one?
Speaker 5: He's thirty one. Last year in seventeen games, eighty one catches just less than a thousand yards, which for anyone else would be great, but the year before he had one hundred and nineteen catches for eighteen hundred yards.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he wasn't healthy last year, but yeah, there's certain certain teams where and people have this twisted a little bit.
Speaker 3: With the Commanders. I love the story.
Speaker 2: I just have to be honest when I see what they did and how they won what six or seven games in their last possession, the odds are not going to be with you, and your schedule will be a little more demanding, and now you're not sneaking up on people.
Speaker 3: That's another thing, you know.
Speaker 2: Sometimes we have that team where they surprise you and then you go, oh, make way, they're going to go up even higher, and then they take a step back. I've just seen it too many times. But I'm in no way rooting against them. I think it's a wonderful story. They're going to host the draft. You know in a couple of years. You've got a great quarterback, I like the coach. You've got an ownership that you can respect. They're going to have a new stadium downtown. There's a lot of momentum going on there. And that's great because having been there when they had the Hogs and Joe thisman, Joe Gibbs, I mean I got to see RFK. That place rocked. It was in a great stadium, but that atmosphere was wonderful, wonderful one of my favorite venues to be and it's the atmosphere. It's not necessarily the amenities. You know, I'm not walking around going hey what do they have on tap here? I'm just looking at what a football atmosphere is like. And RFK Stadium is up there with any of the other stadiums that you want to put them up against. Do you want to update the poll results? Their seat and we'll get to Jason Kidd coming up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we got up there right now? What should Steph Curry do?
Speaker 14: Stay with the Warriors, sign a deal elsewhere or retire right now? Fifty nine percent of the audience have him staying with the Warriors, followed by signadilla elsewhere. Only seventeen percent have him retirem Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, the Cowboys got a lot of love last night, because the Cowboys always do. The Cowboys are the first team in NFL history to play six consecutive games against teams that won at least eleven games the previous season. So weeks twelve through seventeen, they got Philly, Casey, Detroit, Minnesota, the Rams, and Washington.
Speaker 3: Now stand of.
Speaker 12: A day stand of to day stand outa day stand outa day This is the stand of the.
Speaker 3: Day, brought you by Pandia America.
Speaker 2: And you also have primetime games, but you also have standalone games. The Chiefs and the Cowboys and the Commanders have eight standalone games this season, tied for most in the NFL. So standalone could be Monday night, Sunday night, Thursday night, Saturday game, international game. The Cowboys have at least seven standalone games eight times in the last twenty years.
Speaker 3: That's staying power.
Speaker 2: The Chiefs have had seven or more standalone games four times over that same span as well. The Chiefs and the Cowboys, the networks love them. Travis Kelcey was asked about playing overseas and uh, it didn't sound too excited. Although I saw Kelsey he dropped twenty five pounds. And he was asked about playing in Brazil on his New Heights podcast.
Speaker 15: I mean I'll be there, not to do a podcast. Yeah, I'll be there pretty busy in the heat. There's just something about getting closer to the equator that I don't want to put on football uniform doing.
Speaker 11: That, especially in September.
Speaker 15: I've been in Jacksonville in September and that's miserable. I'd rather be dry than humid. I'm a sweaty I like when I'm definitely.
Speaker 11: Water around South Polo. But I think it's rivers or something like that.
Speaker 15: Right, Yeah, No, I'm if it's hot and humid and kind of what I'm expecting, I'm going to be miserable, but we're going to find a way to get a win.
Speaker 2: I like Jason Kelcey give me geography lessons on South Paulow. There are rivers around there or something, right, Yeah, yeah, I think so. They're like hip meatheads, Yeah, very rich hip meatheads. We'll take a break. We'll talk to Jason Kidd when we return here on The Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAPP.
Speaker 3: More phone calls coming up.
Speaker 2: Mike Charico is going to join us coming up next hour joining us now Hall of famer Jason Kidd, mAbs head coach and won an NBA championship with the Maps back in twenty eleven. Two time Olympic gold medalist. We were just wondering where do you rank on the all time assist list. Let's go around the room and guess where is Jay Kidd on the all time list?
Speaker 3: There?
Speaker 2: Todd third, third, Okay, Seaton two, Marvin third, Paul two. I'm going to go four. Where is Jay Kidd on the all time assists list?
Speaker 5: Stocked number one? Chris Paul new number two spot, Jason Kidd in a three spot? Lebron James on his heels?
Speaker 3: Is Lebron going to catch j kibs?
Speaker 5: He's got five hundred and eight to go.
Speaker 2: Man, you're getting kicked. You're getting kicked down here? Man, how are you doing?
Speaker 11: I'm doing great, Dan, I'm doing great. Yes, that happens. I didn't play long enough.
Speaker 2: Best passer though, in the history of the game, is who not who had the most assists?
Speaker 3: Best passer?
Speaker 11: Best passer. I'm gonna go with Stockton. Why is I think you know the bounce pass he had, big hands, could take it off the dribble, could pause with it. Some would say is maybe double dribble. But I think he knew how to manipulate the ball off the dribble and being able to find his target, and he has some pretty good targets.
Speaker 2: Okay, but when did carrying become legal in the NBA?
Speaker 11: In nineteen sixty sixty. Well, it's always been a part of the game.
Speaker 2: Well no, no, like now it's just you can have your hand on the bottom of the ball and then go Was it Iverson who started it?
Speaker 11: I don't think it was Iverson. I think it's the guy we were just talking about.
Speaker 3: Was the first guy to carry the ball.
Speaker 11: I think if you look at Stockton, he knew how to manipulate the driven.
Speaker 3: Was he dirty?
Speaker 11: He was smart?
Speaker 3: Where were you on Lottery night?
Speaker 11: Lottery night? I was in Newport Beach at a board meeting for Gold Rental and I thought, okay, well we're going to probably fall backwards instead of going forward. So my phone started to go crazy during the meeting, and I kept texting the person back saying are you sure it's not you're missing a one? Because he goes, you're in the top four and I mean fourteen and he goes no, and he goes, I think you just got one. I go, you mean we stayed at eleven and uh, And then my phone started going crazy.
Speaker 3: So that's where I was, Wait, you're not even watching the lottery.
Speaker 11: I you know, things just weren't going well for us.
Speaker 3: Really, what else has happened this year, a lot.
Speaker 11: Of injuries, a lot of inies, but I just felt, you know, we were going to stay around eleven, if not go backwards, just the way that things were going for us this year. But incredible to get number one. Everyone's excited, the organization, the city, the MAVs fans, and also the head coach. So we're really excited about being number one.
Speaker 3: Planning on keeping the pick and taking Cooper Flag.
Speaker 11: Yes, I'm just the coach, So yes, I would say that we're all concentrating on number one. The draft is deep and so, but as the name you just brought up, I think we're all focused.
Speaker 3: On Have you spoken to Cooper Flag.
Speaker 11: I have not spoken to Cooper Flag. I don't want to break any of the rules and get us in trouble, so I want to make sure that when I do answer these questions that you know the speculation is is Cooper Flag. But there's you know, we got to go through the process.
Speaker 2: Okay, So you would get in trouble if you did reach out to Cooper Flag before the draft?
Speaker 11: Yeah, well no, not not technically. Once we bring him in, we'll get out his name. I would. I'm trying to be politically correct here and make sure that we don't get in trouble and I don't step on any toes.
Speaker 3: Okay, so the kid from Duke there we go. Are you are?
Speaker 11: You're excited? We're excited.
Speaker 3: I don't want to get you fined. Okay, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 11: I can't afford the fine. And so we're excited about the kid at Duke. I can't wait to talk to the coach over there, coach Shire and also a good friend of mine, coach k a mentor, and get some background on the kid at Duke. We're really excited about this opportunity.
Speaker 2: You were twenty one as a rookie. I can't imagine what nineteen is going to be like for the kids from Duke. How is that different or has the game made it easier for that transition for somebody that young.
Speaker 11: No, I don't know if it's easier. I think eighteen, he's going to be drafted. He'll be eighteen and doesn't turn nineteen until December, and so just understanding he's young, but he's very talented, can play both ends, and so being able to have older players and when I say that out of respect, they're not dinosaurs. But when you look at the age kai ad guys that are here, Clay can definitely help him with the process of going through a rookie season.
Speaker 2: And the kid from Duke doesn't have to walk in and be the savior like he probably would have been in Washington, DC or maybe Charlotte. That you can kind of ease him in to being a third or fourth option on the team.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think this is a great situation for him. I think when you talk about the different guys that we have already on the team, the pressure of living up to number one will be a lot easier with the talent around him. When you talk about the other clubs, he would have to, you know, produce right away at a high, high level. And so I think this is a great situation for him to grow his game where the pressure isn't as high, but we are playing for a championship and so it would be a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Jason Kidd, Hall of Famer, Mavericks head coach. How were you told that you had just traded Luca?
Speaker 11: I was told by my boss Nico that we were going to make a change.
Speaker 3: But where where give me the give me this scenario.
Speaker 11: Hotel, This is in the hotel in Cleveland, and so he said the news was going to hit in an hour and and that's how it went down. And so, uh, when he told me, I started, I went back to my room to start figuring out how we're going to use a d and Christy because of this change.
Speaker 2: And so so you found out you didn't even get a chance to argue.
Speaker 11: No, there was there's no arguing. This is this is what was going to take place. And so uh, for me, it's to to move forward from past experiences as a player. I've been traded the day after Christmas, I think from Dallas, uh to Phoenix and thinking they were trading uh Jimmy or Jamal and they told me that they were trading me and so and so just understanding that the train keeps moving. And I thought my players and my coaching staff did an incredible job with you know, once they heard the news of preparing to keep moving forward and and especially with all the trade and the injuries, I thought we did an incredible job.
Speaker 3: When's the last time you spoke to Luca?
Speaker 11: I texted him on that morning, Uh, and that's the last time I've talked to him.
Speaker 3: How did he respond? To your text.
Speaker 11: I don't think he was too happy, and just again from the experience of being traded, you know, maybe being surprised, you know, upset feelings are high. But again, I loved the opportunity of coaching Luca. He's an incredible person and we all know his talent is one of the best in the world. And so you know, again my mindset is to deal with the cars that I'm dealt and uh and keep pushing forward. And I've always said this publicly and probably I wish Luca the best. He's one of the best players in the world.
Speaker 2: I thought you were going to say that you meet with Nico in his hotel room, he tells you he's trading Luca, and then you go back to your hotel room and cry.
Speaker 3: But but but that didn't happen, right.
Speaker 11: I didn't cry. I was more or less trying to figure out how we're going to make this thing work. You know, this is a big trade.
Speaker 2: But who do you call first after Nico tells you that you're trading Luca.
Speaker 11: I didn't call anybody. I put my phone down and looked at the ceiling. I started trying to brainstorm of how this is going to go down. I did not call anybody once this hit, and my my job as the coaches is to make sure that we all are pushing in the right direction. There was gonna be a lot of questions that morning from staff and players, and I thought Nico did a great job of handling it by having the meeting and us pushing forward.
Speaker 3: Anybody have a better handle than Kyrie in that in NBA.
Speaker 16: History, Oh, I'm gonna say no, But I'm gonna say there's some close seconds when you talk about Isaiah Thomas Detroit, Isaiah.
Speaker 3: Thomas underrated by the way.
Speaker 11: Very underrated, very underrated. Why I think sometimes it's it's our fault we don't we don't bring up Isaiah Jay Williams White Chocolate. I thought his handle and his passing is incredible storytelling. I don't know if we we don't do a good, good enough job of storytelling with Isaiah or our past uh players, And so I think Isaiah would be right there as one b.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I think with isaiah likability, the way they played, they were the bad boys, you know, they were trying to hurt Jordan, and I think that maybe that plays into it with Isaiah.
Speaker 11: Well, I don't know if they were just trying to hurt Jordan. They were trying to hurt everybody.
Speaker 2: But if the Pistons don't treat Michael that way, Michael doesn't start weightlifting, and like that made Michael even greater. They're responsible for unleashing, you know, the new and improved Michael Jordan.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think. You know, sometimes when we look at things that take place in our league, some are looked upon as negatives, but a lot of players or coaches use them as positives and try to turn it into something. And as you said, unleashes the beast and Michael and he took that and ran with it, got stronger. His game was, his talent was already elite, and so I think he used that as motivation to become the best in the world.
Speaker 17: Do you remember facing him the first time? Yes, Oh what happened now? It was actually nice. He was nice to me. I'll never forget I ended up on him. Unfortunately, I didn't know how the switch happened, but he asked me in the post, and all I can think about is just turn around and fade away and keep it simple and nice. But he went baseline and he took off and unfortunately my wife I didn't. I missed it, and I was like, oh, this is going to be on ESPN, and he's gonna dunk it and look and you know, do what he does. But he just did a nice little reverse layup and looked and kind of winked, and I say, oh, man, I'm glad he'd dunk it.
Speaker 11: But he took it easy on me.
Speaker 3: But why did you realize he was better than you?
Speaker 11: Oh before tip off?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, you guys have egos.
Speaker 2: I mean, like Larry Bird had to get to a point where he said, you know what, he's the best player in the game. My magic had to you. You're, you know, pretty tough when you're going to relinquish something like that.
Speaker 11: Yeah, but I think we all understood when we we have to be realistic understanding Michael is the best. And so coming in as a rookie, you know you wanted that challenge, you wanted to compete against the best, but understanding he was going to win majority of those battles, and and he did, and and so you couldn't wait for that game to be over so that you can go play else that you can take a stuff.
Speaker 2: Maybe they'll write a book on this year for the Dallas Mavericks one day, just this year of everything that's happened, because hard to believe, right, Yeah.
Speaker 11: I think you're right.
Speaker 16: Uh.
Speaker 11: I think there's someone's gonna write a book.
Speaker 3: Or thirty for thirty on ESPN.
Speaker 11: It could be a thirty for thirty for sure. There's enough content, you know there when you talk about just there was you know, a season within a season and there's maybe three seasons just with the trade and with all the injuries that we had, trying to keep you know, pushing forward and finding a way into the playing game and winning one and unfortunately coming up short against Memphis, but just everything that took place. I think there is a book there and then probably at thirty for thirty.
Speaker 3: Good to talk to you again. Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 11: Happy birthday, Thank you, thank you. You look great man.
Speaker 3: What did you get me?
Speaker 10: Well?
Speaker 11: I was going to say a jump shot, but you already believe that you can shoot.
Speaker 2: So well, now we don't. We don't want to go down the road, do we. We don't want to go down memory lane? Because do we?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 11: Why not? It's your birthday?
Speaker 2: You I go to Dallas to shoot against you, right, yes, I come to down, I fly to Dallas to play, you know you in a game of horse. Yes, And what happened after practice? Who went home and left me there out shooting by myself?
Speaker 3: You did well?
Speaker 11: You I forfeited, so you are okay?
Speaker 3: Yeah? And then all of a sudden, who becomes a great three point shooter?
Speaker 10: You do?
Speaker 11: Yeah, you turned me into a great three point shooter? So you get credit. I'm giving you credit. Where's doing you turn me into a three point shooter?
Speaker 2: You're welcome, You're welcome. You're welcome. You're welcome, So I don't need a jump shot.
Speaker 3: We know that.
Speaker 11: You know?
Speaker 3: Maybe what hudder driver? How about this?
Speaker 2: How about a autograph jersey from the kid from Duke?
Speaker 11: Oh done?
Speaker 2: Okay, here we go easy, just making dreams come true?
Speaker 3: Thank you, Bud. That's Jason Kidd, Hall of Famer. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I told you, guys, the story. I told you the story. I went to Dallas. We had a great relationship, and I say that I will beat you in a shooting contest. And I'm there in the stands waiting for practice to end, and I'm waiting it ends, and I'm going, where's Jason the clubhouse guy? Goes, oh, he left, and I go he left, and uh, he admitted he didn't he knew.
Speaker 3: That I could shoot there. He is right there. He just came back. He wants to.
Speaker 2: He knows it's true. He knows it's true. Jay Kidd appearance there, Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 4: Like, what'd you get me for my birthday? He's like, well, you got a jumper or whatever?
Speaker 14: And then he kind of like gives you credit for his three point takabilly as the gift.
Speaker 4: He're like, you know what else you could get me?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean yes, I should take credit helping you and Brook Lopez. I made you guys great three point shooters. Oh, final hour on the way. You know it's my birthday today, birthday.
Speaker 11: I have a good time.