Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: Robert Kaplan joins US Vice Sherman Goldblin Sachs and of course all of his experience at the Dallas FED. You have a beautiful sentence, doctor Kaplan about the idea of we need to build relationships. So when you entered the FED, what do you do? Do you have lunch with the chairman? Is that how this is going to work with Chairman.
Speaker 3: Wars Those aren't the relationships I was referring to. For Kevin worsh and for me when I went into the FED, and for anybody coming in from outside. You want to get to know the staff, particularly the economists. You want to get you want to meet the heads of supervision. There's twenty two thousand people at the FED. You want to meet all of the bank presidents. When I say relationships, you're going to want to start getting into a conversation with them about what issues they're seeing, where they're coming from, and you want to start assessing personnel. That's all the things that the new chair will need to do in the first number of weeks and months.
Speaker 4: What do you expect, Robert from this incoming chairman? Kevin Walsh based upon his testimony, based upon what we know in his past experience, what are you expecting.
Speaker 3: He's going to accelerate, in my opinion, and work closely with Mickey Bowman to accelerate move along bank deregulation, particularly tailoring for smaller banks, which they're still in the process of trying to do.
Speaker 1: He's going to work more closely.
Speaker 3: We know that with Scott Besson on the balance sheet, which will come back to that, and I think he's going to encourage he may de emphasize or even eliminate the dot plot, you know, the forward guidance, and he's going to want to encourage folks around the FOMC table to anticipate that a is going.
Speaker 1: To be disinflationary.
Speaker 3: He's going to get he's going to have the debate on that one, and that they'll agree with the argument, but they want to see demonstrable improvement in headline inflation, and the war is going to make that harder.
Speaker 1: So he's going to have to debate that out.
Speaker 4: Robert the A lot of critics of the FED oftentimes cite the types of data that the FED uses, principally that it's a rearwood rear word looking backward, looking as opposed to con anticipatory. Do you think Kevin Wors can have an impact there at all?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, he ought to. And in fairness to the FED, the.
Speaker 3: Calls with CEOs, the fact that the boards around the FED systems are made up of local leaders CEOs, community leaders, labor leaders, et cetera, community education leaders. So they've got to be careful. And I always used to argue this, you want to be careful, not to folk. You want to understand the data, but you've got to be out in the world understanding what the structural changes are in which actually going on on the ground, because it might it might be different than what.
Speaker 1: The data is telling you.
Speaker 3: Because data is lagging and it's often aggregated, and we're better yet it's wrong. It gets revised two and three times, So you've got to be careful about data.
Speaker 2: Can I go nerd sure?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: Robert kaplan with U, folks, and his charm is no one within our FED apparatus is a better understanding of business process, financial process, his efforts at Goldman Sacks and then the monetary fiscal dual mandate process of the Dallas Fed. Okay, so let's go beneath the headline data or Robert, we can do this. Trimmed mean was not invented at Dallas. It was Steve Chikeetti and the crew up at the Cleveland fed some of that coming out of the University of Michigan. That's a school north of Kansas. Robert, in case you didn't.
Speaker 1: Know that, I've heard of it.
Speaker 2: And then Jim Dolmas codified this in Dallas. And when Powell talks about the trimmed mean, he's talking about Robert Keplin shop. Are you gonna stay on the trim mean with Dolmos or are you going to have another inflation gauge under chairman Warship.
Speaker 3: So it's a here's the answer. There's a whole bunch of inflation indicators. That trim mean is one of them. And let me just tell you for your audience what the trim mean is. It's a simple way of saying, it xes out extreme moves to the upside and the downside, and it gives you another estimate of quote unquote core inflation. The reason you got to be careful and I love the trim mean. We own it that the Dallas Vetterick Jim Dolmas came up with it is it can it can mislead you?
Speaker 1: And here's why.
Speaker 3: In March of twenty twenty one, what was the trim mean reading about one six, one seven, even though inflation later in the year was going to nine. So what happens when you have an oil price spike like you do right now? Initially it's one item, the trim mean trims it out over a period of months on oil price spikes, bleeds quote unquote right into twenty or thirty other items, and all of a sudden what started as a spike. And then so wouldn't shock me if the trim mean three months from now is you know, closer to three than two. And so you got to be very careful about.
Speaker 2: Each one in I got to get this in mcloone's on deck here on oil, so we got to get this in with Can I Can I do a second a follow up, Chairman Sweeney? Can I do a follow up question? Yep, I'll do a follow up question with Robert Kaplan. Robert, can you apply these wonderful statistical methods given a K shaped economy where the inflation for the halves and there's six thousand foot houses down in Dallas and Austin is different than half of America flat and they're back.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: This is why the FED I don't think should or will or I don't think it should abandon the two percent target. Why to your point, if headline inflation is running two and three quarters to three, if I make fifty or fifty five grand a year or less, that's eighty five million workers.
Speaker 1: By the way, my headline inflation rate, SUREFF wallet might be six or seven or eight.
Speaker 3: So that's why the low modern income workers are getting suffocated. And so their problem is that not that they don't have jobs. They're employed, but they can't make ends meet. And so I think the FED needs to stay on the inflation fight.
Speaker 2: This has been wonderful, Robert Kevin, generous of you from Golden Sechs, from Harvard, from Kansas, and also from the Dallas Fed. Thank you, thank you so much,