Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the Spirited Actor Podcast with me Tracy Moore. I was a casting director for film and TV and commercials for over thirty years. I transitioned to a celebrity acting coach after I cast a film New Jersey Drive with executive producers Spike Lee and director Nick Domez. I auditioned every rapper from biggiees Balls to Tupac, and I realized that rappers and musical artists they needed help transitioning to acting. My clients consist of musical artists from Buster Rhymes to Eve, Missy Elliott, Angela Yee from The Breakfast Club, and Vanessa Simmons to name a few. I also coach sports stars and host as well. I feel I have the best of both worlds. As a casting director, I know exactly what they're looking for, and as an acting coach, I can coach you to be remembered in that room. Now I know, I know actors want to get the job. I get that, but being remembered by casting director that is powerful. And now it's time for meditation of the day. Failure is lack of preparation, anonymous actors. If you are not studying, if you are not training. If you simply think that all you need to do is memorize lines and make a couple of facial reactions here and there, you are not taking this business seriously. And yes, it is a business. It's called show business, not show art, not show craft. It is called show business, and you must respect the business. The number one part of your business is training. What job do you do? And you have no preparation or knowledge of anything but just showing up and memorizing lines. That is not what an actor is. An actor has to do research. An actor needs to do their due diligence on characters because there are experiences that you don't have that your character does. And training is going to teach you how to apply that, how to look for things that If you don't smoke cigarettes, I'm not asking you to go out and buy a pack of new Ports. I'm saying you need to know the experience of smoking. You need to look authentic if you have to do a puff on screen. It's not easy, it is not simple. It's very complicated. Sometimes you're an emotional rollercoaster. But if you are approaching this business as a true actor, then do the work. There are no shortcuts you will be shortchanged today. I will apply myself and do the work of an actor. Before we get started, I like to remind everyone to go to Crackle Network to view seasons one and two of my show Inside the Black Box that I co host with the great Emmy Award winning Joe Morton. Look out for news on season three soon. Welcome to the Spirited at your podcast with me Tracy Moore, and you are blessed to have Part two.
Speaker 2: We promised you Part two with Rayon Lewis Lawrence.
Speaker 1: I apologize Rayon Lawrence is here and I am beyond thrilled you guys. I can't wait for this conversation. I've been geared up. I was stretched this board at Rayon.
Speaker 3: Just so you know, both of us both what.
Speaker 1: Please put your hands together and stand up for Rayon Laura Part two. Brother, Thank you so much for coming back.
Speaker 3: Oh thank you for having me back. I really really excited to be back. And you know, share this knowledge well.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna tell you the last knowledge in Part two was very very well received and everyone we.
Speaker 2: Had some really beautiful numbers which was.
Speaker 1: Really great and shares, so thank you, so I know this is gonna be even more increased.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna just.
Speaker 1: Jump in it. I'm gonna jump in it. I'm gonna jump because I want all of your knowledge. I want you to talk your aspiring actors. Yes, people that think they want to be actors and working actors.
Speaker 3: There you go. I love it, I love Okay.
Speaker 2: So this is my scenario.
Speaker 1: So I was really blessed to go to Atlanta last Wednesday to work on a lifetime movie with one of my clients. Right, And I love actors. You know that, the audience knows that. However, you must with a capital M twenty four point bold train if you are not training, you play games, rayon.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna give you this situation, and you could just go.
Speaker 1: One particular day, we were on the set shooting a scene.
Speaker 2: It was my client with another.
Speaker 1: Actor okay, and the actor was I would say, a working actor but not yet known, right. So the first take was awful. I'm being one hundred percent honest with you.
Speaker 4: It was awful.
Speaker 1: However, I just felt like something was going on with this actor, right. So I went up to the actor and I was like, how you doing right, how's everything going on? And they were like, oh, you know, I'm on the set with your client, and they were a fan at that moment like, oh my god, I can't believe I'm working with them, Oh my god. And I let her speak and then I stopped and I said, snap out of it, seriously, snap out of it. You're on the set with my client too. It's only two people in the scene. You And then don't you want your performance to be of par don't you want somebody like myself, a castie director, to see this and say, well.
Speaker 3: Who is this right?
Speaker 1: Because right now I don't even see you. I see her, and that's not good. And my job is not only to see my client, but to see whatever is around them as well, to enhance whatever and blessed. In most cases, directors are receptive of me. But sometimes directors get a little interesting because I'm not there to direct my clients.
Speaker 2: I'm there to interpret.
Speaker 1: I have relationships with my clients buster being twenty eight years that I can give something him right away after the director makes the adjustment, and he'll make that adjustment. Most of the time my clients meet the director if they have rehearsal or on the set, you know, working with them that day.
Speaker 2: So I've.
Speaker 1: I just made some adjustments to this actor, and every time there was a cut, I would go to my client first and then on my way over to Video Village, I would take that actor, tug their coattail and say actively, actively listen. You can't listen for your queue line. You got to listen to the whole conversation prior to that and engage. Right. I have to say at the last take, everybody in Video Village clamped.
Speaker 2: They turned that performance around. I also noticed.
Speaker 1: That they sat on their trailer state set steps when we came in. Our call times were usually it was night hues painful, I know, you know, three pm, three am, four pm, four am. We got home at We got home at four am, slept for an hour, went to straight to the airport.
Speaker 4: Home yesterday.
Speaker 2: So sitting on your trailer, going over.
Speaker 1: Your lives, going literally going over your lines, almost as if there's the first time you've seen them.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, And.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you at the end, which is the full circle that I thought was beautiful at the end, But I what if I wasn't there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: So can you.
Speaker 2: Talk to these actors?
Speaker 1: First of all, I in my experience, everybody and their mother wants to be an actor.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 1: However, those who choose it choose the training because I don't know what kind of job you're going to go to. It know nothing, and they be like, okay, I'm ready to work.
Speaker 3: What exactly?
Speaker 2: Please help me?
Speaker 1: Rayon?
Speaker 4: Please?
Speaker 2: I almost started drinking in Atlanta.
Speaker 3: Listen, I got. I got the perfect examples of you know why coaching is so important. I can even even I could even take back to the time that I didn't do coaching for one specific role and where I was like, why not I do coaching? You know what I mean? Because sometimes you like, I don't want to spend this money. I think I can get away with it, and it's like, bro, you know what I mean? All right? So I did this project was FBI booked, FBI booked FBI. So everybody knows, I guess on a local hire, right, So your local higher.
Speaker 1: Well, let's slow down because you know, you know, maybe not, so can you give it.
Speaker 3: Let's spend definitely, So if you're a local high let's all right. So for example, I live in LA right now. So if they want to hire me in New York and I want to sign on as a local hire, meaning they're not going to put me up, no hotel, no transportation. It's like, hey, this means you're saying that you live here in New York. I can get away with it. It should be simple anyway. So what happened was the time that they needed me in New York, they was pushing the dates back. All right, let me come to New York. Listen, Tracy. They called me the next day, Hey, you shoot the next one. I had the book. I had the book, a flight, flight was delayed, and mind you, the script changed about four times. So I got to New York. I went home, took a shower. I was like, let me get an hour hour sleep. So I'm studying on a plane going to New York to to start shooting. Lines keep changing. I get home, I take the shower, take an hour, and I wake up. I get on set. Lines changing again. Yeah, Like now I'm halusa. I'm like, yo, hom i'ma gonna really, like, you know, you know, really perform this if they keep changing it. And I had to think about it. It's my fault. I should have been there that week of right, I should have got trained right for seek And I said, she, I can't believe this. I'm nervous. I'm like, I'm working with the stars, you know, and the lines keep changing, but they hire us. We need to be prepared. I should have had the training. I should have been in New York prepare because when you're mentally focused, when you are able to get that eight to twelve, I like to sleep for twelve hours. You we mentally focused. And I was so mad at myself that I wasn't there before. I didn't get the training or the role. Even though the roll was a one day guest start, I still should have did the coaching. You know what happening now. I was like, I will never make the mistake again. Now we go to where where we're talking about, uh BMF. When I just did BMF and I started to work with Chic and what we started working on where he questions. He would ask me, well, why would a black man get direct connects with the Columbians And we start I have to really break it down looking at stuff from YouTube documentaries and stuff like that, and that really elevated my performance. And like you're saying, you're gonna be working with these people, everybody's gonna be seeing you. You don't want to be coming on there and not you know, not giving a Stellia the performance and we knew everybody's gonna see BMF. I knew this role to breakthrough role, and she helped me with that, you know. So those are the two differences where it comes where I'm like, I could I think I could get away with it. It came up. It came up. Mind, I think about on FB I came up. But I was like, no, I should have been more prepared for you know, because you know, editing helped. I think editor will help me.
Speaker 2: In this case too. It's gonna help.
Speaker 1: But I also want to say, Rayon that you know the other thing that I said to this actor who was working with my client, you're here too.
Speaker 2: What is the thing about you?
Speaker 5: You?
Speaker 1: Ray On, You're on that set too, So what does that say about you? Because when we get to that point, I don't care about the experience, and I know that the relative my client's resume outshines her resume and just in terms of work, and it doesn't matter because she's on that journey too. And then one day she's going to be on the set in somebody and say, oh my god, I'm here with blah blah blah, you know. And there's another thing that I wanted to comment that you said.
Speaker 2: In terms of the script changing. Yes, okay, in my opinion.
Speaker 1: And I wasn't all over Manhattan, but in this community that I was in, the actors were not not all, but they weren't prepared for the script chain.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I always say, I think of basketball, how you pivot on the court.
Speaker 2: You got to pivot with these scripts because what soap.
Speaker 1: Opera you come in after lunch is a whole new scene rewritten.
Speaker 3: Oh now what now?
Speaker 5: What? So?
Speaker 6: But the flip side of it is that if you don't prepare, you are creating anxiety, stress and mental health is.
Speaker 1: Going to come into play.
Speaker 2: And my question to you, and you may I.
Speaker 1: Mean, because in my opinion, you prepare, you do the work. So I'm not talking to you, but I want you to talk to them. But what is what else are people doing between the time they signed the contract, the agent gets the check and then you get those white pages which are the pages for net until we start inserting the color spectrum. But what else are they doing? Because I wasn refused to see actors sitting on their trailers, stay at steps, and I knew they were going off the lines because they would say their line, then look up and then say the other person lines then going and I'm like, but their line wasn't see it in.
Speaker 3: Their memory memory right and and see. And that's that's the thing. I think a lot of people when they see, you know, as actors on TV, they think it's easy and it's and it's really not. You know, like you just mentioned anxiety. That's what I had on set, Tracy. I wanted to I was telling Cheek, I want to quit house because I made this mistake and I'm nervous. I'm like, you know, it's a big show. This is you know, yes, everybody can see this, and I'm not you know, I'm not fully focused. You know, I don't have the lack of sleep. I didn't get coaching for the anxiety came in. And you know now that I can see the difference now as you you you you grow in your career. Now for exams. I just played this character in the nineteen seventies. As soon as I booked it. To the music from from the nineteen seventies, I'm in Atlanta and I'm playing the music and my boy said, why are you listening to that music. I said, bro, my character's in the seventies. He said. He looked at me and said, that's what I'm talking about. Because now I'm focused, that's what my character he'll be jamming boom, this is what I'm listening to. You know, you just have to start to feel it, you know, when you know. And I always go back to BMF because that's the time I did the most training and I was just locked in.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: It was just it was a time where I'm two three months into the character and I'm in Detroit and I'm speaking to one of the guys from BMF and he found out the characters playing looked at me. He's like, I was scared of that dude. So he tells me a story. He was like, it was me. It was big meets and you know, the character I played. Tells him, if anyone you guys don't said how many brooks you got two in birds you got five, any one of you guys don't have my money on time, I'm gonna kill your see tells him. Right my first day on set, Mindy didn't hear the story. My first day on set, I walked into the gym and I see these five guys, I don't know them from the nail on the wall. I walk up, I said, anyone, y'all hit this last shot. Anyone he have five dudes, hit this last shot. I'm killing all five. And I walk away to get to get miked. I'm telling you, I was locked in. When he tells me the story that he said the exact same thing these five dudes, I said, I was locked in already and that was the preparation of me and she put in. You know, I was like, man, this is this is what happens when you when you train and you locked in. It's anothering stopping you from.
Speaker 2: The comfort that you have, right like the comfort. So when they come in and.
Speaker 1: Bring lines that are changed, there's no anxiety because it's like, I already know this.
Speaker 2: I know how to make the adjustments to.
Speaker 3: And you can add you even improfit ad lines to a scene like it was one of the scenes I'm doing with me. Meach had training too, so me and me, you know, had our training going on. He had his coach and I had cheek obviously, so the lines, you know, I'm sending lines that on the paper, and then at the end of the line, I'm just so locked in. I said, now go ahead and finish your meal, and I finished the scene till next time. I didn't do it. I said, let me just go what was on script? I said, no, no, keep that line as you said before. So already locked into this character. You're't able to add lines to it. You can't. You probably can't do it on obviously CVS, but on a or streaming service you yeah, up to it. Yeah, that's what you locked in.
Speaker 1: And you guys, it's so much about comfort because when you don't know how the director directs, you don't know how your co stars and other people that you're engaging in how they You just want to make sure that you are that you are good and be able to pivot whatever is necessary. Right, Okay, so I have to tap on money, and then I have another So money you said about you know, spending. I will admit that my services, especially when I am on a set full time, they have to buy me out. You know, I created I don't know what other acting coaches do. I know that I've created a job for myself where I take care of my clients. And by that I mean when we get to set, I grab your sides. I highlight your sides. The first of all, you know, I have enough pockets to carry your stuff on set, to carry my stuff on set, making sure that there's your refrigerator is full, your wardrobe is in your trailer. I go to hair and make up with you, run lines, make sure you're comfortable, and then once you're set, we run lines again. And then when I'm on the set, I live in video village. But every time the director calls cut, I follow the director, but I stay far enough to hear, but give him or her that director's space that I respect. And then I either interpret or I give notes. And a couple of times I gave some notes that would help the scene. But it is an investment. But I will say this. One of my clients, we did one film and it was like part one in part two, right, or a sequel. So the first film we did, they got like, let's say, eighty five thousand. We went went back for the sequel, they got one point five billion. My salary didn't change. But right there you can see what value I bought to the table, because obviously they kept preat.
Speaker 2: So for me, yes, it's I go.
Speaker 1: And you know, I would say because I've been with Buster and Need for so long. They have had the law Is experience with me. However, I feel like a caretaker. I never sleep like, uh, this is this time. This was my first time back on set and about maybe since COVID that's I have not been on set. And so you know, I have to reacclimate myself, you know, going up and down.
Speaker 2: You know it's all standing and you know moving.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: So I say that.
Speaker 1: When you invest in yourself, that investment pays off.
Speaker 3: Yeah it does.
Speaker 2: Your salaries are not going down. Your salaries are going.
Speaker 3: Up, going off. And just to piggyback on that too, is you know, coming in into this business, people have to understand that there's this you know, you want to invest in the coach and you want to invest in Uh, you're going to give ten percent to your agent. If you haven't manager, you got to give them ten percent. I have an agent, ten percent managed, ten percent, lawyer five percent got coaching. So you come and you know, uncle Sam, if you know, if you're not, if you don't have a company LC, they probably come home with like twenty five percent check.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the truth ladies and gentlemen, And that's why like I mean, Rayon is at a level where you would kind of expect him to have an agent and manager, and he threw in something that you guys need to listen because I deal with a lot of agents who have law degrees.
Speaker 2: So blessed.
Speaker 1: However, if not, there is that five percent for a lawyer, guys, that's so worth it, so worth it reading those contracts and now with AI and stuff, you got to read the smaller, smaller prince.
Speaker 3: So actually one of the things that help, especially with the lawyers, is that remember the lawyers could my lawyers a less lawyers, so they also would represent one of the producers, right, the executive, So you probably know how much of a budget this project has, so you really know how much you can really ask for. The manager manages your career and the agent be the one to really submits you, but you also had that manager that will submit you. At the same time, they're gonna help manage your career and give you the right guidance, you know. Like even for example, we can even go to what Taraju was saying where when she did Empire, she had to fight a whole team. She's like, I just did my thing of empire. Y'all got nothing. Y'all got nothing from me. Sometimes you got to know when to move on past your team as well, because they haven't capitalized on what you brought, and you got to know where you're at in the business as Well's the same thing. I just did a movie out here a couple of months ago. I, you know, released my team as well because I've had a big Hey, I did my thing on BMF and I'm not saying BMF is the biggest thing in the world, but from what I did on that, we need to be at another level and I don't think you guys have done that. So I had to. I got a new team now. So sometimes you got to know when you have to move on.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: Sometimes if you you know, you got to know when you're at a certain place in your career where you have to make these hard decisions. You know, sometimes you want to leave an agency or a manager because we can be loyal to a fourth At the same time, you got to know where you're at and no one is time to probably move on, you know, And that's what you did, you know, so I definitely understand our situation, you know, when you're talking about.
Speaker 1: That and a manager and well very well explained, thank you. A manager also has relationships, and so in those quote unquote down times, a manager can introduce you to a producer who has an upcoming project, or a casting director that you've never known you know that wants to have a general and a meeting with you based on your work. So the manager is guiding, counseling, managing your career, but also looking ahead twelve steps strategy wise, how to get you to that level or that next. If you said I want to do you know, I want to be an action star, your managers on it, looking for actions, directors, producers, what projects are out there, and how to merge those relationships and meetings and all of that, while your agent is still procuring work for you and doing the submissions as well. So that's a body, a team that really is moving and functioning and deserving of those percentages. Now the other, the other thing that I wanted to talk about, because you are a professional, you're an expert, help me with this rayon. I have never I've been very blessed in my early career to be on independent films. However, where I am in my life right now, I've been on multi, multi multi million dollar productions with my clients. What I am not used to and now coming back on the set are takes. There were in some cases my client got three takes. In some cases my client got one take and had to ask for another take for security for them. And you know, Atlanta, seriously, I loved Atlanta. I fell in love. I fell in love. I fell in.
Speaker 2: Love, and I love actors.
Speaker 1: I want to be honest with you, guys, because in my opinion, there were certain things that I didn't feel people were honest with you, because then you would have come more prepared or you would have come right.
Speaker 2: Even extras.
Speaker 1: I had a wonderful conversation on Mother's Day with this extra and I said to him, like, I know you have no lines and you're an extra, but what's your intention standing in front of this barrel of You're homeless, You're standing in front of this barrel of fire, you're warming and what are you thinking about?
Speaker 2: Who are you? It starts here, don't dismiss that.
Speaker 1: So explain to these actors in their preparation, because again anxiety and stress, you get one take, you can no longer warm up on set.
Speaker 2: You got to come volcanic.
Speaker 3: Hot exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: I'm just passionate.
Speaker 3: No no, no, you no, no, I love I love it because and that and that. And that's the thing is these these directors that that also see that you come and you're well prepared, and you come in and you and you and you knock it out and you still feel you know what, I can probably do a little bit more. I missed, I missed a beat on this part, and they'll see what you did and they'll be like, you know what, let's do it again audibly now, I think you knocked out, and you really knocked it out, because someday they can say this because they want to move on, you know. But you know, the more you come prepared, the more you you're able to take those director adjustments as well too. And sometimes some of us actors don't take adjustments well because we're not prepared enough. And that's why it's more than just you knowing the lines. You know, like you said, the intent, what happened before. I remember when I used to do extra work, a lot of a lot of the actual work. And I'm being honest, I was only I got high as a regular actually, but ended up being a featured extra, you know, doing something in the background.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in the background.
Speaker 3: When he's like, oh I like this, I like what he's doing, and then you get the camera, you know, and and that just goes back to what we were saying, is is coaching, man. I think that that is undervalued. I think with a lot of a lot of us is getting coaching. I think sometimes we think once we booked the job, that we whatever we did in your audition or we can we can do that on the project now, right, you know, whatever I edition, that was cool, But now I land the road, we got to bring something else, you know what I mean? Because we know sometimes we get auditions that's the next day, right, I may not know of this world. I may not know the nineteen thirties right with twelve twelve to twenty four hours that I got to have this on tape. So sometimes may have to you may have to use audition techniques and to book the job. But then when you book a job, you need to really get on that pen and paper and get to those documentaries, going on YouTube and looking at the nineteen thirties and look at everything, how they handshake, how they greet each other, how they walk you know, dressed, you know, and it's just so much and I love It's just beautiful process.
Speaker 1: I love it too because I know I'm talking to an actor.
Speaker 7: I was.
Speaker 1: I was playing with my client on the set. I kept calling them Thespians. You are real because you do you know, you study, you doesn't work. I think that I feel that, you know, Atlanta is such a beautiful mecca. Why not be prepared, you know, like you already have the studios there, the productions are there. Now, make sure all of the actors are trained and going to work.
Speaker 2: You know, and then being cast right.
Speaker 1: The other thing was I feel like for you outside of primetime TV, these studios have found out you can shoot a film in fifteen to twenty.
Speaker 2: One decades.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: I come from four to six weeks. I come from a week of pre production. I mean at least a week to a month of predimension on the budget. Pre production, especially with Spike Lee. Shout out to Spike Lee for real, because Bike would have production meetings and they could be four or five hour production meetings and everybody is sitting in that conference room and every department head is sitting here, and he goes department head by department here by department head, anticipating what problems may occur or fires that we can put out.
Speaker 2: So very blessed for that.
Speaker 1: But Rayon, I got I invite you on again because we only have five minutes this one again, right.
Speaker 2: Well, I need to talk.
Speaker 1: I need you to tell these actors because again stress, anxiety, mental illness, how to deal with these fifteen to twenty one days. Because all I heard on set and the director was great. I give the director their props. Shout out to Leslie Green, the casting director.
Speaker 2: But hearing like.
Speaker 1: Moving on, moving on, moving on, moving on.
Speaker 3: Here's another thing. One of the things I was it was a project I did. I believe it was last year as a movie I did. And we got this script on such a short moment. I was, I'm one of the leads. And I got with the other three leads and I said, we're rehearsing every day. This project is for this network. But I wanted to be like it was for this network, this is how we're going to do it. So we literally rehearsed every day. I got in the hotel, the the lobby, and we were literally rehearsed every day, even day. As he was filming. Let's get to get up a little bit earlier and we get to rehearse together. So that's another thing to help. So we all got our individual coaches from our coaches, but then we'll get together and start, you know, working together on really building this project and building that chemistry. So that's another thing I believe that can help that I don't think a lot of people are doing. I remember I was in a relationship at the time and my girl mad at me. I'm like, I'm I'm trying to make the Yes. We had eighteen days, Yes, eighteen eighteen days, eighteen days. I was like trying to the best movie ever.
Speaker 1: I mean, I understand what's going on, but it breaks my heart. It was it was like I got emotional Saturday night, just a moment to myself, like I.
Speaker 2: Missed four to six weeks. I miss those projects.
Speaker 1: I miss having time in the trailer to talk and to and then you know, for me, blessed on this. Everybody was totally receptive from me, giving things and you know, and I just want to say, because you know, again I'm passionate.
Speaker 2: To watch. It may have been, it may have started.
Speaker 1: Out one way, but the beauty and the love that I have for this actor that turned that performance around and made those people clap.
Speaker 2: It was such a teachable moment for them.
Speaker 1: Yes, and they never had that before and so I felt like I was placed there for you and now you know, it was just cool to be able. And they had a big scene yesterday on Sunday. I shot on the monitor for them because nobody was there for them. I shot on the monitor. That little thing there was just so overwhelming. And then I gave them notes prior to the scene in my hotel to just be conscious of these little things so you could think about it before you get to said every take was outstanding.
Speaker 2: They were outstanding.
Speaker 3: That's the meeting that you that you did that form because now that shows them, you know what if I invest in coach and this will help my performance And.
Speaker 2: That's what they said.
Speaker 1: They said, That's what they said, Soling.
Speaker 3: What people are. What people call me the seam stealer because I've come in I'm bringing my ache.
Speaker 1: Well that's good they know that because that means that they need to up the ante, you know what I mean it. And I just want to say thank you so much for the rehearsal.
Speaker 2: Because you initiated that.
Speaker 1: I feel like, had you not maybe not, But it's veterans like you and my client that are so well seasoned that you know rhythm, you know so well the movement of the set that you know to be able to let me just run these lines. Let me just give you something and teachable moments. That's all I can say, So bravo for you. Just know, don't don't let me call you on your household and have a conversation with you.
Speaker 3: Stop. I don't even know you already know the line is open.
Speaker 1: All I was thinking it was I can't wait to ray Tuesday. I was making notes on the set before I'm asking about pray.
Speaker 2: But I'm glad, thank you. I'm just patient. I'm very passionate, and I love it. I do.
Speaker 1: I love actors then, and it wasn't about money. It was about I want you to look good. I want you to have your moments so that a casting director can see the versatility from this scene to this scene to this scene. I'm dealing with it, actor, right, man, I gotta talk to you all day and I did talk to she so show I'm gonna.
Speaker 2: Bring his acting coach on you, guys, and then you see cheek.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, he's going in.
Speaker 2: That's why I do. I'm gonna bring Elsa Lathan on.
Speaker 1: Elson's gonna h Elsa, our co executive producer is going to come on and bring on the actors that can asking you questions.
Speaker 5: Yes, ooh, I'm all seeing Steeler so many great lessons today. But we have some features seeing Steelers on with us today. I can come on camera. We have Isaac. Welcome Isaac and Havena welcome. Nifa.
Speaker 8: How are you guys? Thank you for having me Anifa?
Speaker 5: You can ask you a question.
Speaker 8: First name is how you doing, Tracy? My name is I mean, I'm from Brooklyn, New York. My question is Brooklyn House. Yes, yeah, My question was he spoke about coaching and I wanted to know what what does it look like for you in your method of giving life to the character before before getting on like preparing yourself before getting on on set?
Speaker 3: What you know what like what would I do preparing?
Speaker 8: How do you? Yeah, what are you preparing to get your to get lives to the character you can to.
Speaker 3: Train so like for example, you know, I'm actually I just finished up one show and I'm doing another show right now. Both the characters from the nineteen seventy So that instance, nineteen seventy music boom, That's what came to my mind. Right, that's where you can start to you know, because if it was different Swade with period pieces, you know, just the seventies different, you know, you dressing elegances a different field. So I started with the started with the music. Now you start going on the doctor, you know, going on documentaries and watching how they dress. You know, like I mentioned how you would give a handshake, so now I'm doing or another act that was like this is when a handshakes I saw that they were doing in the nineteen seventies. It's not the right a little, you know what I mean, It's a difference sell handshake is on and oh you know so those are the different kind of things I would I would do. So it just depends on the role. For For BMF, I started listening to DMX everything that my character was was living. DMX was rapping about this, so I already knew what music to go to. Ash was. I booked the role, you see what I'm saying, and also making sure that you have some type of uh uh similarities with the character, right, the character from being meth. He was a big basketball star in his neighborhood. I was really good at basketball in my time, you know, so I bought that similarity of my love for basketball to this car. I love dressing, I love accessorizing. He accessorized, So I'm always wearing jewelry all over that character. So that was a similarity I had, you know, so once you find a similarities, you can also use that towards the character.
Speaker 2: Thank you for that question, because that was one of.
Speaker 1: The questions that I wanted to ask him that I didn't get to.
Speaker 2: So thank you.
Speaker 1: We were able to get to that great question.
Speaker 5: Awesome, awesome, Come on, Isaac, what's your question?
Speaker 4: He was going on. My name is Isaaca Dolan.
Speaker 3: I'm from mom Vernon, Vernon, Vernon. That then I'll tell okay, okay, high Yeah.
Speaker 4: So my question is what are some of some of the things that you do to prepare for a scene, especially if you haven't rehearsed with your scene partner or partners to make it authentic.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, so what would I do right before a scene or rehearse So one of the things listen, one of the things I do if I can't get well. I tell you one of the key things that I do right, so not necessarily when it comes to the character, but per se, if I want to be able to rehearse the lines I have nobody rehearsal with. One of the things that I do is I would go on to voice notes right and I would say the other person nine. I would give it two beats and then I would say, and now, nobody, which will be my line that I was supposed to say, And then I'll say the other line. So that's one of the things I can do to help me rehearse the lines by my self if I have nobody rehearse it with. Now, if I need, you know, a physical person, you call somebody you know, somebody, family member, friend, your coach to run those lines. If you don't have that other person you can rehearse with, because sometimes you might I might be working with desup that might not take the time to rehearse with me. So if you have somebody else that you could call or rehearse with right before you start filming, then you can do that as well. That's one of the things I do.
Speaker 2: I just thank you Elsa so much.
Speaker 1: The questions were on the point, and they definitely were questions that I wanted to incorporate, and I'm so glad that you guys asked them.
Speaker 2: Thank you guys, so.
Speaker 1: So much question. Yes, thank you, Elsa. So you guys sit back, don't get nervous. We still got ready On Lawrence with us. We're gonna come into class and sessions with these spirited actors, these gentlemen that I'm excited to see.
Speaker 3: You look confident.
Speaker 2: Right, all right, audience holds on.
Speaker 1: When we come back to the Spirited Active Podcast with me Tracy Moore, we are going to have Blast Insesson. Welcome back to the Spirited Actor Podcast with the Tracy Moore and you guys are blast because Rayon Lawrence is still with us, and Elsa lady is going to come on and introduce her spirited actors who are going to do a scene.
Speaker 5: Yes, hey Elsa, Hello, Hello, Hey.
Speaker 9: Rayon.
Speaker 3: Bet Hey. Also, what's up?
Speaker 5: Hey hey, So today we have two of our spirited actors who uh since they've been on, so we welcome y'all back. We have mister Isaac Adope, Welcome back, Isaac.
Speaker 2: Hey Isaac.
Speaker 5: And we have mister Nipa Jabbah.
Speaker 8: Yes, yes, thank you for having me.
Speaker 5: Hey are you chasing?
Speaker 2: So good to see you.
Speaker 5: But today's scene is Differences, written by Lee and Hansbury legally known as lea Amato Exterior City National Bank Parking Lot. Tony and Terrence step out of the bank and quickly pull out the certificate of deposit and receipt issued to them both. They read it, and they're both visibly affected with gratitude, even though.
Speaker 4: Their mom is still taking care of us.
Speaker 8: Yep, she really did. I'm not supposed to ask you, but it doesn't matter, but a mom need you.
Speaker 5: Tony looks down at the check and back at him. He hesitates and knows why.
Speaker 8: Comem boy, you could tell me ther Mom doesn't matter. Mom worked it out for both of us. I'm just curious. Fifty nice?
Speaker 4: What about you?
Speaker 8: Thirty thousand?
Speaker 5: Now it's awkward after a moment, trying to come up with something to say.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, I guess for the different I don't think it was personal, you know Mom?
Speaker 8: Bro?
Speaker 3: She you know?
Speaker 8: Are you kidding me right now?
Speaker 1: Bro?
Speaker 8: It's cool. I'm just happy Mom hooked it up. Besides, those situations are different. I'll get it.
Speaker 4: What's that supposed to me?
Speaker 8: I'm just saying I'm ten ten steps ahead. I know Mom, she was looking out for you, to look up for you too. So what are you saying, really, Team, I'm not about to do it with you right now, Broll.
Speaker 4: I feel like you're trying to a sinuate something.
Speaker 8: You all know. Mom pitied you. I mean she wasn't she know she wouldn't let go until she knew that you would be all right.
Speaker 7: But but but I got you. She knows that pity like on some tope of charity. My relationship with Mom was different. Oh yeah, householdie.
Speaker 4: We were just close and I respected her.
Speaker 8: Now you're insinuating that I didn't.
Speaker 4: I'm just saying it was different.
Speaker 8: It ain't gotta explain, man, I know how it is. Just make sure you're wives. But my mom gave me no one else I had got it like that to be taken care of me. Once all that is.
Speaker 5: Gone to his car, Tony looks down at his check, thinks about what he said, and follows his brothers.
Speaker 2: See, okay, all.
Speaker 1: Right, guys, I'm gonna throw it to you.
Speaker 2: Rayon.
Speaker 3: Yes, Bettuh, great, great job, guys, Isaac. I liked how you know you looked in this guy, you know, you know, honoring your your mother, uh while you got this check. I love that because you always want to you know, And I always like to talk to the technicality whenever we're doing stuff like this, right and we're doing this on zoom. You know, you're painting to the audience what you're doing. You know, you're not just saying the words, but painting the audience what you're doing. I like how you guys both interacted for say a name, Yeah, great job as well. I would I would say just the technicality I was, are you sitting down?
Speaker 8: Yeah I am.
Speaker 3: I would stand up, okay, stand up scene, stand up, stand up in the scene. That's just a technicality of it.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: So when I say we do these things, you gotta remember everybody's everybody's listening, everybody's watching, right also producers, I produced. I could see this, captain. But you know what, I just saw these guys acting. I can literally want to cast you on something if I'm seeing everything that you're doing here almost correctly in a sense. Like I said, the audition was great. I just like to talk about the technicality of things too, because that's very important. That's what I was saying. In this scene. Make sure make sure to stand up your stand up and you get the energy from it. Right, I'm gonna take one who says it as we're doing this. So one of the things that stood up for me with being Meth and Stars is at the table read, I was the only person that stood up energy all my scenes up up and I'm bringing the energy to which it comes back, and Stars was like, yo, I can tell from the table read this guy's gonna kill this role. You know what I mean. So that's why I just said, Ay, it's the stand up scene. Stand up in the scene. Or if you was leaning on the car, that's fine, you know, but I think we would probably you both standing together. But great job. Both of you guys are like, how to rock with your show?
Speaker 1: Wow, that was great feedback you guys, And I want to say that's what we always say as casting directors, Rayon, we always ask you guys to stand in your scenes.
Speaker 2: That's where the energy is.
Speaker 1: I just wanted to give one note to Nifa when you came back with you know, you got thirty five, he got fifty. Your mom thought like, you know, maybe he needed more. That's a dig. That's a passive aggressive. In my opinion, that's a dig. So you're I felt hurt, even through your laughter, I felt hurt, like, oh, she gave him fifty and I got thirty. That's got to be a little dig, just in human nature.
Speaker 10: You know, he got a little more regardless, he needed it, he had to be He's got a little more, and you're just going to as a human being, you're going to accept that as I'm not good or even if it's just a moment a flash.
Speaker 1: So it just felt like, you know, somewhere in there that was a dig. But I too, I thought that you guys did a great job in handling it.
Speaker 3: Excellent.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. This is the part where I have to let you go.
Speaker 1: I'm so sad, but this is not being This is truly the beginning.
Speaker 3: Man, dot dot dot dot.
Speaker 1: Yes, just a wealth of wealth of information. And it's all about how you deliver things. And that was important, you know, being on the set, how you say things, because you know, I watched somebody, I just watched somebody get a little personal with a feedback and simply.
Speaker 2: By me passing that person and just.
Speaker 1: Just touching their back a little assuring them like don't take it personal.
Speaker 2: Let it go. We got another take.
Speaker 1: Put it in that and that that's all I put in my hand and they received it.
Speaker 2: So you know, I just thank.
Speaker 1: You for being generous and kind and how you are giving this information to these actors and then receiving it. Rayon Lawrence, you are invited to this show anytime. Please tell us if there's something we need to we know, be an effort.
Speaker 2: Is there anything else you want to let us know.
Speaker 3: Or yeah, well you know, just I just finished the project. I just I'll let you guys know. I'll put you guys on.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you.
Speaker 3: The project I just finished up is called Fight Night, and that's supposed to be, like that's going to be a huge project. It's starring Samuel Jackson, Kinmaheart, Taraji Turns, Howard don Gio. So it's a big deal. So I'm blessed to be able to work on a project with with with these stars. And that's what I just finished.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, when it comes out, we might need to call right back, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, all right.
Speaker 1: And the other thing I want to say is that actors read industry.
Speaker 2: Magazines online, go to deadline.
Speaker 1: You need to understand, and you need to understand what projects are coming up that your agents can happen to right now.
Speaker 2: Did you submit me to Fight Night? Did you submit me to.
Speaker 3: You know, like I can add some business? I got some real kick, Tracy, go ahead. So just to piggyback on that real quick. You know, I got all these stories, but so so the the produced executive producer for uh Insecure. Who's doing a project? I believe it was on Fuse TV And I couldn't get an audition. But what I did was I found the sides on Actor's Access Right Breakdown Services, got the sides, put it on tape, and I submitted to him directly through Facebook. He responds back and just says good jobs. I'm like, I E pie in Look. The next day, I received a call from his cast in rector wanted me to come in an audition for the lead. So things like that. You know, you could utilize social media and just go outside the box. You know you can get these auditions. I can. Even with Malcolm d Lee the audition, I was trying to get an audition. I went on his comments and I was like, welcome, I work with your barbershop three. You know I want to audition for your product. Boom. I get an audition through my ages the next day. So utilize the social media. Yeah, absolutely, all that stuff.
Speaker 2: You got into.
Speaker 1: It's a business. Be in in in, think outside love. Okay, all right, ladies and gentlemen, stand up, please put your hands together for Rayon Laurn.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you, Thank you guys. Great to see you, Thank you for having me again. Best of luck, my guys. Great job today, excellent.
Speaker 1: We are so blessed on the show. That's why I love this show. When we come back on the Spirited Actor Podcast with me Tracy Moore, I'm going to give you love for today, I'm going to give you some move.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Kudo's Corner.
Speaker 1: Kudos Corner is where we celebrate actors, we support them and we give them mad love and a big hug. This week's Kudos Corner puts the spotlight on Spirited actor Shamika Nelson. Shamika is featured in the award winning docu drama Lovely Jackson, which has screened and placed at several film festivals, including the can International Pan Africa Newport Beach ABFF and the Montreal International Black Film Festival. You can also see her on my show Inside the Black Box on Crackle TV, as well as in Babby Oopsie as well as in Baby Oopsie.
Speaker 2: On Amazon Prime.
Speaker 1: And to be next step for Shamika is a featured role working with filmmaker Man Robinson. Kudos to Shamika Nelson and now it's time to give love. I was on a set recently and as I was walking to my client's trailer, I passed an actor who was sitting on the steps going over their lines, I mean really going over their lines like this was the first time they had seen their lines. What screamed out to me at that moment was not only did they not know their lines, then they must not have done the character work for their character. It is important that you know why you were doing this, because if you're doing this to, you know, be famous and get back at somebody or prove something to someone, those are not the right intentions and they're not going to sustain you for the longevity.
Speaker 2: Of an actor's career.
Speaker 1: If you're doing it because you want to do great work and be seen and eventually build a body of work for yourself. In your training, and you're committing every day to fifteen minutes or more in an actor's space to do the work.
Speaker 2: And if you are not, it's okay.
Speaker 9: Step aside and let the actors that really do want to be actors and work as actors come through.
Speaker 1: This is not a game, This is not playing, this is not make believe. This is a job.
Speaker 2: Hi.
Speaker 1: Everyone, The Spirited Actor Podcast with Tracy Moore now has a YouTube channel. You'll get to see exclusive video footage from our podcast taping, as well as your favorite segments from the show. Make sure to like our videos, subscribe to our channel, and share with all your friends. Don't forget to also follow us on Instagram at the Spirited Actor and at both Tracy Moore and at the Spirited Actor Podcast with Tracy Moore on.
Speaker 2: Facebook and x.
Speaker 1: Thank you for joining us on The Spirited Actor Podcast with me Tracy Moore. I look forward to our next Spirited podcast. Thank you.