Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Alison Flom. Welcome back to Erased. In the last episode, Colden disproved the theory that Elma could have taken her own life. He proved that there was a struggle with someone else leading up to her death. Witnesses heard screams of murder and help me from the area of the Manhattan Well. Other witnesses placed Levi at the murder site, potentially with his brother, who built it on commission for Aaron Burr's company. So Coldon's task was just to defend his version of events against whatever strategy his opponents had in store. At the beginning of day two of this trial, there was an eagerness in the courtroom to get this done, to see justice prevail. To the public, the crowds that showed up in the cold to wait outside the courthouse through another trial day, to nearly everyone in New York, seeing Levi weeks charged with murder would restore a sense of peace. It would help relieve at least a little bit of the pain that seeing Alma's battered corpse had caused. Alexander Hamilton and Erinberg were busy through the night. They came back caffeinated in fresh suits with a new plan.
Speaker 2: Order in the chambers. Order good morning, good morning shirt.
Speaker 1: Once everyone settled in the defense lawyers called Joseph Watkins, the Rings neighbor on Greenwich Street, back up to the stand.
Speaker 3: Good morning everybody. Oh you look well rested, mister Hamilton.
Speaker 4: I feel good. Mister Watkins. You've got a lot to tell us. Yesterday you testified for the prosecution. I should Did you said you found Elma's body in the well and laid her out on your jacket? Is that right?
Speaker 3: Exactly?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 4: And what was your relationship to the victim at the time of her death?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: I knew Elma for years, for as long as she lived at the Rings.
Speaker 4: And how do you know the Rings?
Speaker 3: I share a whole wall in my house with them, So you and.
Speaker 4: The Rings essentially live in the same house right now.
Speaker 3: No, two different houses, different addresses, different entryways. They're too A eight. I'm to ten. They were a boarding house in Millinery. We're a single family rowhouse, but it's one big structure.
Speaker 5: Do you need a floor plan of the Rings in Watkinson's houses? I have one if that.
Speaker 6: Might help, that's all right, coldon, No one really cares about floor plans. Mister Watkins, who do.
Speaker 4: You live with?
Speaker 3: My wife Liz, my daughter Betsy, and our cat and rose Lynn. I call them my three queens.
Speaker 4: That's sweet. Did you and your family ever overhear Elma in the back bedroom on the second floor of the Rings house? What?
Speaker 1: That's very specific, an alarmingly specific question. Actually, you might remember in episode one, the defense lawyers asked Catherine where Elma and Levi slept. It was a distinct and unprompted question about the back room on the second floor in the house, particularly the thin plaster partition that it's shared with the neighbor, Joseph Watkins's house, so they knew exactly what Watkins was about to say.
Speaker 3: That room happens to be closest to my bedroom, mister Hamilton, So we'd hear Elma a lot?
Speaker 4: What types of sounds did Alma make? Objection relevance a better question, actually, mister Watkins. In the months before Elma died, did you hear anything unusual?
Speaker 3: Well, i'd hear getting dressed, tripping on a stockings, singing to herself.
Speaker 5: Singing to herself. That's what happy people do.
Speaker 6: That's also what hysterical women do, mister Watkins.
Speaker 4: Can you tell us about last September.
Speaker 3: Last September, height of the pandemic, tons of people dying from the fever, New York was quiet. I'd spent long days in the house quarantining.
Speaker 4: And what did you hear coming from Elma's room during that time?
Speaker 3: I didn't expect to hear anything because I thought all the women in the Rings house had gone up to New Cornwall.
Speaker 4: But Elma stayed home with all the men.
Speaker 3: You got that right. And when I heard that, I told my wife. You know what I said to her. I said, somebody's gonna ruin that girl.
Speaker 4: Yes, continue, mister Watkins.
Speaker 3: One night my wall started shaking, thumping, like Elma's bed was moving on the other side. My wife and I listened closely.
Speaker 4: What did you hear, mister Watkins?
Speaker 3: You want to know what I heard? I heard Elma. I heard Elma wintern and what else?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 3: I heard Elias ring. He was grunting and scolding objection corner in the chambers.
Speaker 8: Mister Watkins, did you say you heard Elias ring in Elma's bedroom?
Speaker 3: That's right, your honor. I heard Elias ring ruining Elma sad, Oh God over again.
Speaker 1: This moment was earth shattering for Coldon's case and for Thren, for everyone.
Speaker 9: Mister is flying your honor.
Speaker 1: If what Joseph Watkins claim to under oath was true. Elias Ring repeatedly raped his niece, Elma Sands in his home in the months before she was murdered. Order stop order, And while all the evidence did point away from Alma taking her own life on that December night, this testimony painted a very different picture of what was happening in the boarding house and what Elma's life may have actually been like. Obviously, this caused chaos, as the defense lawyers intended the jury's attention turned towards Elias Ring, away from Levi Weeks, Your honor.
Speaker 10: There's no evidence to suggest Elma and Elias Ring were engaging in anything sectional.
Speaker 4: Elias Ring was inflicting non consensual sex on Alma Sands right before she died, Elias tortured her and drove her to suicide.
Speaker 5: That's it, mister Watkins.
Speaker 10: You probably heard Levi Weeks and Elma room they began an intimate relationship during that period of quarantine.
Speaker 3: Uh Ah, it wasn't Levi, Sir. I'd recognize Elias Ring's voice anywhere. It was definitely an Elias Ring.
Speaker 5: Would you do this?
Speaker 10: You're you're speculated, Yes, speculation overruled.
Speaker 8: This is constable. Please remove mister Ring from the chambers yet again? How does he keep getting in here? Just removed him now, silence, mister Ring.
Speaker 6: I will, mister Watkins, how many times did you overhear this improper intercourse between mister Ring and Elma?
Speaker 3: Approximately oh nine or ten fourteen times? When Levi Weeks was out of the house, mister Ring would.
Speaker 4: Slither right there and you hear the violence.
Speaker 3: Right, I'd hear Alma cry herself to sleep.
Speaker 4: And this continued until Catherine Ring came home to the city.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: Once Catherine came back, I never heard Elias and Elma's roam again.
Speaker 6: Because Elias was behaving himself better around his.
Speaker 3: Wife, Your honor, a question from the jury. It's for Catherine Ring.
Speaker 5: Is that okay?
Speaker 2: I think so?
Speaker 3: Catherine? Is this the first you're hearing of your husband's deviance?
Speaker 5: She doesn't have to answer that, Actually she does.
Speaker 11: Catherine, Yes, this is the first I'm hearing about it because it is not true.
Speaker 5: It's ridiculous.
Speaker 9: Uncle Elias would never Yes, it's ridiculous. My neighbor and former friend.
Speaker 11: Joseph Watkins has just testified to something false. And yes it's the first I'm hearing it because it's Catherine Foss.
Speaker 4: While Elma was alive? Did you protect her from danger?
Speaker 9: What sort of danger did you.
Speaker 4: Protect Elma from? Your husband?
Speaker 11: My husban is not the one she needed protection from.
Speaker 5: Elias Ring is not on trial.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 6: Elias Ring drove the victim to suicide.
Speaker 5: You made that up, mister Burton.
Speaker 9: I protected Alma perfectly. My husband, Elias protected her as well.
Speaker 11: Alma was safe with us until leeve weeks.
Speaker 4: Mister Watkins, is Catherine Ring trustworthy?
Speaker 3: Ben's what you mean by trustworthy?
Speaker 4: Do you trust her? Do you believe that she was actually ignorant of her husband's behavior?
Speaker 3: You know, I never know what to believe when it comes to women, Like I always tell my wife, women speak their own language, and I don't understand it.
Speaker 5: Can I talk to your wife, mister Watkins?
Speaker 3: Why Caldon my wife is not here, sir?
Speaker 10: And why is that Alma's next door neighbor seems like a keyywitness in her murder trial.
Speaker 3: Liz couldn't make it today. She provided a written testimony.
Speaker 5: How does that work.
Speaker 10: She wrote a little note for you to bring to court, your honor, This is getting out of hand.
Speaker 8: Mister Colden in advance that Elizabeth Watkins would be unable to appear in court, and we prepared accordingly.
Speaker 5: And why can't she appear in court?
Speaker 3: Her breasts have been very sore infested for several weeks. Wait, I don't know exactly what's wrong, but she's in pain.
Speaker 5: Well I need to question her.
Speaker 3: I can speak for my wife on any outstanding points. We both heard Elma Sands being ruined.
Speaker 8: No need to speak for her, mister Watkins. Mister Coldon should find her written testimony comprehensive and sufficient enough.
Speaker 3: All right, without further ado. Testimony of Elizabeth see Watkins.
Speaker 2: Mark you read it, please absolutely.
Speaker 5: Your honor. Testimony of Elizabeth C.
Speaker 12: Watkins, collected by Chief Justice John Lansing, Alexander Hamilton and Yours truly, twenty eighth of March eighteen hundred at the Watkins residence.
Speaker 5: Wait wait, wait, wait, leave your honor.
Speaker 10: You went with the Defense Council to collect a testimony without my knowledge, the result of which could influence my entire case.
Speaker 5: That just doesn't seem right.
Speaker 8: This is how the system works, mister Coldon, according to whom we had to adjust because.
Speaker 2: Of her breasts.
Speaker 1: So just like that, precedents were being set that would remain in the system through this moment today. It was decided then that written affidavits were admissible evidence. Thus Colden couldn't question a key witness about the Elias allegations because Hamilton and Burr found a loophole, and once again he was out maneuvered.
Speaker 12: Catherine Ring the hat maker, chats with me about her borders from the day Levi Weeks moved in.
Speaker 5: Catherine spoke highly of him. What we're not actually admitting this written testimony? Are we?
Speaker 12: Supposedly Levi is the best border to aweight Greenwich ever had, Your honor, there are discrepancies and lies all over this testimony.
Speaker 2: Let's just hear the whole thing.
Speaker 8: Coldon Clerk, Wait minute, your honor, relax cold This is inadmissible evidence.
Speaker 2: I'll be the judge of that.
Speaker 5: This is ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Please sit down, mister Colton.
Speaker 6: The judge said, keep your pants on, mister Colton.
Speaker 12: Sorry, your honor, this part has a bunch of stuff crossed out and written in the margins. Okay, new paragraph missus Watkins says, the first time I saw Alma Sands, I remember thinking that sweet miserable girl.
Speaker 5: Won't make it to thirty in New York. Objection, What could that possibly mean?
Speaker 4: You can't object to her written testimony? Coldon stop interrupted, This.
Speaker 10: Just doesn't seem fair, you're honor clerk. I wasn't there when this testimony was collected.
Speaker 8: Because it's a testimony for the defense's case.
Speaker 2: Clerk.
Speaker 5: Missus Watkins continues.
Speaker 12: When I heard the rumor that Elma Sands ended her own life, I felt relieved for her.
Speaker 10: We have heard countless testimonies about how cheerful and happy and joyous Alma Sands was.
Speaker 6: And now we're hearing about how miserable and suicidal she was because she was being repeatedly raped by Elias ring the two sides to every Sorry bud.
Speaker 2: You gentlemen, still have a witness on the stand.
Speaker 6: Mister Watkins. How about your daughter Betsy? She was close to Alma? Right?
Speaker 5: I don't think they were close.
Speaker 9: Yes, Alma hardly knew Betsy.
Speaker 3: Betsy and Elma would sitting on a stooferoles just chatting away.
Speaker 1: Let's bring her up in hopes of enhancing this dramatic testimony and continuing to paint a picture of Elma as miserable. The defense called Joseph's daughter Betsy Watkins and described her as a friend of the deceased acquaintance.
Speaker 9: Excuse me, daddy, it's my true.
Speaker 1: Oh I like it up here.
Speaker 4: Good morning, miss Watkins.
Speaker 13: It's Betsy to you, mister Hamilton.
Speaker 4: Uh Bessy. Alexander characterized Elma's sands for the jury. Who was Alma?
Speaker 13: She was a melancholy, depressed, pale weirdo, not in a mean way. She was kind of like a baby goat. You know, I knew she wasn't a virgin objection?
Speaker 5: What is she talking about?
Speaker 4: Betsy? On the day Elma disappeared, did you see her?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 13: I saw her almost every day.
Speaker 6: What was she doing that day, December twenty second?
Speaker 13: She was looking in the mirror, tying a handkerchief around her neck in different styles?
Speaker 6: How did she appear to you?
Speaker 1: Prettier than usual?
Speaker 3: I guess she had lipstick on.
Speaker 1: Finally, so I.
Speaker 6: Meant, how did she seem disposition wise?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 5: Stirr rest, mister burr.
Speaker 13: Super stressed yet like pale, nervous, kind of.
Speaker 6: Breathy like she might be on her way to commit suicide, objection leading the witness.
Speaker 13: I've never seen someone on their way to commit suicide.
Speaker 6: But she didn't look like she was on her way to get married, right, A person getting married would look happy, excited.
Speaker 13: Well, to be honest, I've never seen anyone on their way to get married either, But if I.
Speaker 6: Had to guess, that'sy miss Watkins.
Speaker 13: Aaron, mister Burr.
Speaker 6: Did Elmo look frightened that day? Or did she look happy? Or did she look sad?
Speaker 14: None of those things?
Speaker 6: Then? How did Elmo look? Betsy?
Speaker 13: She looked kind of cry when I saw her, But honestly, after Catherine left for the quarantine and then came back, Alma always looks sad.
Speaker 14: To me.
Speaker 6: She was sad and her sadness took her life. Not LEVI weeks.
Speaker 5: What I spent all of yesterday proving that Elma was happy.
Speaker 1: To override Coldon's witnesses, the defense then called four expert witnesses, doctors, real doctors to one up Coldon on the science, not.
Speaker 6: Dentists who once read a book on autopsies to confirm that Elma Sans committed suicide.
Speaker 5: I've already proven that Alma wasn't alone when she died. She screamed, murder.
Speaker 6: Can you stop interrupting? Coldon, there was no.
Speaker 1: Suicide, so the defense kept bringing up the theory that Alma took her own life, even though this was a try murder and the coroner's jury had declared this a murder months before, and although their job was to determine a person's cause of death, the coroner's jury was not a jury, and there were no coroners involved, and the defense lawyers knew how this process went. The coroner's jury was a guy in a room, not a doctor, but he called himself a coroner who paid his friends and colleagues to come in and decide how the dead person died. And whatever they decided when they gathered around and looked at the corpse became the findings for the case. And in this case, the coroner's jury examined Alma's body twelve days after it was found, which was eleven days after she went missing, and determined as a group of pals and non medical professionals that her cause of death was indeed murder. And then they probably went to lunch, and the case for Elma Sans relied on the decision that they came to. On that January afternoon, Hamilton and Burr called doctor Nicholas Romayne.
Speaker 6: What did you see, doctor?
Speaker 15: I saw a girl's body, mister Burr, super dead.
Speaker 1: Who was actually doctor David Hosac's mentor and former teacher. Truly, everyone knew each other except coldon.
Speaker 6: Any specific observations about the corpse.
Speaker 5: Oh not much.
Speaker 15: Scratches, bruising on the knee and that's all right, yeah, scars, algrove skin standard stuff.
Speaker 5: Hold on, is it standard for a young girl to be covered in scars?
Speaker 15: I don't know many young girls, mister Colton, but Elma skin was all blistered and weather beaten in addition to the injuries.
Speaker 1: And then, for even further reinforcement, they called New York's most elite doctors up to the stand, first doctor McIntosh, then doctor Prince Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton knew the system like the backs of their hands because they helped create it. They called New York's most elite and respected physicians up to the stand. And these guys were all friends and colleagues. They were on the boards of each other's foundations, starting medical colleges together the defense lawyers knew exactly what these doctors would tell the jury. In fact, they probably all planted out together at the pub.
Speaker 5: I noticed four contusions on her breast, like she'd been grabbed.
Speaker 6: But doctor Macintosh, the injuries on the corpse were minimal, right, Yeah, she was just scraped up from bouncing around in the Manhattan well for eleven days, right, not from violence inflicted by another person.
Speaker 5: Objection.
Speaker 10: Doctor The Corner's jury unanimously ruled this a murder when they saw Alma's body.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but none of those guys are corners.
Speaker 10: So you genuinely believe Alma Sance died by drowning.
Speaker 5: There was a spoonful of water in her lungs. Water in her lungs.
Speaker 6: So what does that mean, Doctor Romaine?
Speaker 7: It means and she was still breathing when she hit the water. It means she threw herself in the left objection, Nope.
Speaker 2: Continue.
Speaker 7: As soon as I saw Alma's body, I thought she probably took her own life.
Speaker 3: She was pretty, but she was ugly, you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: Of course, you're being very clear.
Speaker 7: It's hard to believe she wasn't pregnant. I thought for sure we'd find a baby when we opened her up, Doctor.
Speaker 10: Romaine, what about the row of bruises on Elma's neck and breast? What did you make of those? I'll rephrase. Could the bruises on Elma's neck and breast have been caused by someone's fingers?
Speaker 3: Hmm?
Speaker 7: I see skin that's been gangreened all the time at the Almshouse. The swollen, dark tissue could have been from anything.
Speaker 10: I wasn't asking about gangreen doctor, I was asking about these specific bruises being caused by someone else's hands.
Speaker 7: I've already said, based on what I've observed, I think Alma San's committed suicide.
Speaker 3: That's all I can tell you.
Speaker 1: Wonderful And then, in the spirit of thoroughness and scientific proof, the defense lawyers recalled their friend David.
Speaker 16: Hi again, everyone, energy isn't here is amazing legend.
Speaker 4: It's because of you. You ready, Doc hit me yesterday You've testified that Almo's body might have been injured by another person? Is that correct?
Speaker 14: Yes, that's what I said yesterday.
Speaker 6: And would you like to add to that statement?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 16: Well, I'm of two minds here, you guys. I stand by my previous testimony. I mean that was a battered corpse, injured and mangled and bad. But remember I didn't even see the body until the coroner's jury, so a lot could have happened before then.
Speaker 6: So what does that mean? Doctor?
Speaker 16: The coroner's jury met several days after Elma was pulled out of the water, but before that, missus Ring displayed the body in a box on her property. People were touching it, handling it, moving it around to examine it. So so it's possible that the neck got broken posthumously.
Speaker 6: Because of Catherine Ring's calculated, manipulative decisions. Elma's neck was broken, not because of violence or choking. Catherine made this look like a murder.
Speaker 15: Mister Colby objection.
Speaker 5: Everyone was so careful, LEVI was fraided. Catherine could not have bruised the corpse.
Speaker 14: I disagree, mister Colden Corner.
Speaker 6: Thank you doctor. Nothing further.
Speaker 1: Yes, they literally tried to blame Catherine, and these details were completely different from what doctor Hoseak had testified to the day before.
Speaker 5: Doctor Hosek, do you often change your mind overnight?
Speaker 1: Maybe the defense lawyers got to speak to their friend during the overnight adjournment and convince him to change his testimony.
Speaker 3: Mister Colden, Knowledge is fickle, but facts are.
Speaker 4: Not objection badgering our witness.
Speaker 10: Again, my witness, Doctor Hosek, did you sit on the coroner's journey which unanimously voted that Alma Sans was murdered? I did, sir, So you said, as a member of New York's trusted coroner's jury, that Alma Sans's cause of death was murdered by violence? Right, yes, and yesterday you stood by that decision.
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 10: But today you're suddenly abandoning those facts, suddenly suggesting Alma's death could have been a suicide. You changed your mind between yesterday and today, right, I just want to make sure you're as flaky as you've seen Coldin.
Speaker 6: Can you cease harassing our witness and at least pred tend to be professional.
Speaker 16: There's a lot of new information now. I didn't realize Alma's life was so traumatic.
Speaker 11: How was my cousin's life traumatic her chaotic sex relations alone?
Speaker 10: How are alma sex relations relevant to the scientific autopsy of her body?
Speaker 16: Doctor Hosek, I have new insight now, mister Colden. Science is like that, sometimes it builds on itself.
Speaker 10: I have nothing further for this witness step down doctor Hosak.
Speaker 1: And for their next trick, the defense called Timothy Crane to the stand another short term border at two o eight Grenache Street.
Speaker 4: Mister Crane will get right into it. You're personally acquainted with both Levi and as were Weeks.
Speaker 15: Right, yeah, yeah, I work for Ezra Weeks and uh listen, Levi and Ezra are both good men.
Speaker 4: How would you characterize Levi Weeks specifically?
Speaker 15: Honest, hardworking, well rounded? Yeah, yeah, all integrity all the time.
Speaker 9: Are you kidding?
Speaker 4: And how about Alma Sands?
Speaker 15: Unstable, insecure, melancholy, hard to talk to, always chasing a high. You know, that's why I was never attracted to her or anything.
Speaker 4: So Elma was suicidal?
Speaker 5: Perhaps objection? There's overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
Speaker 8: Mister Crane provided a jury with specific examples.
Speaker 15: Well, be honest, sir, I didn't get to know Elma that well exactly.
Speaker 4: That's okay, Timothy. Just tell us how you know she was depressed?
Speaker 5: You're honor a question for Katherine Ring.
Speaker 4: Objection?
Speaker 8: He keeps interrupted, Yes, mister Colton, make it quick, coldon missus Ring.
Speaker 10: How many days did this witness Timothy Crane overlap with Elma in.
Speaker 9: Your home less than two week, literally want week. He doesn't know anything almost so why did they get to ask him what? I genuinely believe?
Speaker 11: It was eight days, sir, when he was between accommodations, a little bit before Christmas.
Speaker 10: And Alma was murdered on the twenty second of December. This witness didn't know Elm at all whatsoever?
Speaker 4: I disagreed. This witness knew Elma for several days before she killed herself, and he has valuable insight if you'd ever let him get to testify.
Speaker 2: All right, continue, mister crane.
Speaker 15: Okay, So one night we called a doctor to the house. What Ford Russell had hemorrhoids and he wanted Perudian bark. It was me, Russell and Elma in the parlor.
Speaker 14: No try sleeping on your stomach.
Speaker 2: Okay, Am I dying? Doctor?
Speaker 4: Just tell me so.
Speaker 5: Far from it, sir.
Speaker 14: Just an unflamed irritation of your bumhole. I've seen worse bumholes. In fact, I've seen your bumhole look worse.
Speaker 9: Do you want another whiskey, Russell or tea?
Speaker 2: Maybe I'm a whiskey. I'm dying and these are my final breaths.
Speaker 3: Don't bother.
Speaker 5: He's knocked out.
Speaker 14: All right, kids, I'm out of here. Keep his feet elevated.
Speaker 9: Oh should I grab more books for under his feet?
Speaker 14: Perfect? Yes, thank you.
Speaker 3: Doctor before you go.
Speaker 5: Yes, I'm do you buy any chance?
Speaker 1: Have any laud in them in your trunk?
Speaker 14: Of course I have? Every doctor has them.
Speaker 1: Could I have just a little?
Speaker 4: Please?
Speaker 14: Are you congested? Coughing? Experiencing physical pain?
Speaker 5: Wait?
Speaker 14: What's a lot?
Speaker 1: I take it sometime?
Speaker 14: Oh you've had it before?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I love it.
Speaker 5: You love laudanum?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I dig a whole vile of it if I could.
Speaker 14: Don't joke like that, Alma, too much laudinum would kill you.
Speaker 4: So the idea of overdosing on drugs was funny to Alma.
Speaker 6: Did the doctor give her the drugs?
Speaker 15: He put a few drops under her tongue right before he left, but he wouldn't give her the file.
Speaker 4: And mister Crane, you didn't try the laudinum.
Speaker 3: Right, why would I?
Speaker 15: I wasn't sick.
Speaker 4: Do people your age tend to crave full bottles of heavy medication.
Speaker 15: An intense opiate for no reason?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 15: Most people my age are happy.
Speaker 4: So almost drug use suggests she was in a dark place mentally just before she died. Was that right?
Speaker 15: If she was experiencing unwanted intercourse by Elias ring and she was craving excess quantities of laudanum, Yeah, yeah, I'd say Alma was in a bad spot.
Speaker 1: So this kid lived in the same house as Elma for just over a week, but he characterized her as opiate, addicted, depressed, and suicidal. And then he made Levi sound like an absolute angel. But did you hear that key detail that Coldon missed? This witness worked for Ezra Weeks. Of course he'd say anything for the Week's brothers. He was on their payroll. The defense lawyers overwhelmed the jury with as many theories and stories as possible. Each of their arguments had only one or two witnesses to substantiate it, and then they'd move on to a new, distracting allegation. But it was working. Midway through day two, the jury's attention was far away from Levi Weeks. So can you blame Coldon for missing key details? He had to put out so many fires that his own argument got lost in the sauce. This case was supposed to be simple, and justice was supposed to be clear, but Colden couldn't begin to disprove everything his opponents were throwing at him, and the jury, Hamilton and Burr shifted gears.
Speaker 4: After this, we'll call our next witness, our most important witness so.
Speaker 5: Far, all the witnesses are important.
Speaker 1: Ezra week to talk about what a good guy Leave I was. So what really happened on December seventeen ninety next episode, We're one step closer to finding out. Stay with us erased. The Murder of Elma Sans is a production of Lunch Plans and Lava for Good Podcasts in association with Signal Company Number One. The show is narrated, written and produced by me Alison Flamm. It stars Alison Williams as Catherine Ring, Tony Goldwyn as Alexander Hamilton, Barry Scheck as Aaron Burr, and Jason Flamm as Judge John Dancing. Our executive producers are Alison Williams, Jason Flamm, and Kevin Mortis. This show is produced by Goldhalk Productions. The show is sound designed and mixed by Steve Bond. The music is composed and performed by Sasha Putnam. The producer for Goldhalk is Andy Goddard, with production management from Emma Hearn, the executive producer for goldhalk Is John Scott Dryden. You can listen to every episode of Erased the Murder of Alma Sands right now ad free by subscribing to Lava for Good plus on Apple Podcasts. You can also follow the show on TikTok, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter at Lava for Good and For more information on this story, plus a complete list of our incredible cast, visit Lava Forgod dot com. Slash Erased