Speaker 1: Lokata Radio is a radiophonic novela.
Speaker 2: Which is just a very extra way of saying a podcast.
Speaker 3: I'm fiosa fem.
Speaker 4: And I am ma la munios.
Speaker 2: We're podcasting through another Trump election year. We've been podcasting through election years, a global pandemic, civic unrest, political controversies, the Me Too movement, the rise of TikTok, and we are still here.
Speaker 4: We're not done telling stories.
Speaker 1: We're still making podcasts. We're older, we're wiser, We're even podcasting through a new decade of our lives.
Speaker 2: Since twenty sixteen, we've been making Loca to Our Radio independently until we joined iHeartMedia's Michael Dura Network in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 1: From our Lips to your ears, fall in love with Loka to a radio like you never have before.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Season nine, Love that first Listen, O.
Speaker 1: Lao La Loka Motes. Welcome to see than nine of look at Dora Radio.
Speaker 3: I'm the Osa and I'm Mala.
Speaker 1: Look at Otra Radio is a podcast dedicated to our chiving our present and shifting the culture forward. You're tuning in to Capito one ninety seven.
Speaker 2: Last time on loc at Totter Radio, we interviewed Mariana de Miguel aka Girl Ultrap.
Speaker 5: This is actually my Mike Coachilla first time ever. I haven't even went to the festival before, but I wanted to keep the core of like Girl Ultra, like talking to people on stage and just coming up, coming down.
Speaker 2: Go back, listen to that episode, leave us a review and share with a friend, and make sure you stream Girl Ultra's music.
Speaker 4: She has bangers.
Speaker 1: So before we get into today's interview, we have a really great interview, by the way, but before we get into that, we just want to take some time to check in, catch up. If you've been listening since the launch of season nine, you may have caught on that our episodes are not necessarily current, you know, because we had to shift things around, and so yeah, just check in, and also announcing a couple fun things coming.
Speaker 2: Oh, super fun things the podcast. We have been just grinding and putting out episodes for a while now, and we have a big anniversary coming up that we want to celebrate with you all.
Speaker 1: We like the true latinas that we are, find any reason to celebrate. Yes, it's not just an anniversary, right, It's not just an anniversary, a birthday.
Speaker 3: It's like a milestone.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's a milestone, right, we must celebrate.
Speaker 1: We have to celebrate every little thing here. I look at our radio because we deserve it, and so do y'all. And so we are hosting a pop up an activation at Boulevard Market on June eighth, in celebration of our two hundredth episode.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited, and we know some of you have listened to all well. By the time the activation happens, you will have listened to all two hundred episodes. We know we have some rider Die dedicated listeners out there, some of you who have been listening since you were in high school, in undergrad and now you're fully fledged adults. We have raised children, we are mothers, and so we want to invite you all to come out to Boulevard Market in celebration. The party's going to start at six and from six to eight, we are going to be collecting sound bites from our listeners. If you want to come and bring a memory, a favorite episode, if you have ever attended Loca Live a podcast party you want to talk about it, We're going to be collecting some audio and you might just have a chance to be featured on a future episode of Look At What Our Radio.
Speaker 1: On the two hundredth episode. It's a milestone episode, a big episode, and it's so fun because when we hit our one hundred episode milestone, we launched our crowdfunding campaign, yes you know, and that was like on the road to.
Speaker 3: One hundred k. We crowdfunded, y'all.
Speaker 1: Gave us money, thank you, and because that we were able to launch loc a thought our productions. This was all pre iHeart and so pre dated iHeart right like maybe two years even a year or two. But we really wanted to commemorate our two hundredth episode, not just with an episode that comes out we weekly like the rest of them, but with an activation where we could involve y'all. And we know in the past we've put out calls for y'all to submit voice memos and that has been really fun. But in case you haven't notice, we've kind of been on a hiatus from live events from pop ups, and so this is like our return pre pandemic. We used to do pop ups all the time. If you're an OG you went to our Meho Sola.
Speaker 3: Pop up at.
Speaker 1: So fun where we like hit a big olda that's a dump him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and people put in memories of their exes inside the piginata and then hit it.
Speaker 3: It was camp.
Speaker 4: It was like, it was cute.
Speaker 3: It was so cute.
Speaker 2: We had a big mirror there and people wrote affirmations on the mirror.
Speaker 4: It was a great time.
Speaker 3: It was a great time. We've done. We had a Pianna party.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, the Piatna party was so fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and DJ Sizzle was there too. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, so we've hosted lots of pop ups, lots of live events over the last eight years, and so this is like our comeback, launching summer with a cute pop up activation.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Like Mala mentioned, from six to eight, we're going to be gathering soundbites, we're going to be talking with y'all, and then it's going to be a party.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: If you've never been to Boulevard Market, it's a great time. It's a food hall, there's a brewery, there's wine, there's cocktails. There's going to be a specialty look at cocktail. And so we're really excited to just be out and about again.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And this is not a live podcast, it's not a live show, but we are going to have our little microphones and we will be collecting some audio again from listeners. So think about think about what you love most about us, and then come prepared to tell us live at in person. We're probably gonna have merch as well.
Speaker 1: We're definitely going to have yeah, brand new merged never before seen. We're gonna have some og merge, some old merch, some of the boppy hats, the originals that you know are kind of out of print right now, but we have some, yeah, so come and grab those.
Speaker 3: It's basically going to be like live worshiping.
Speaker 2: Yes, actually, now that you mention it, just come worship us and each other live and in person.
Speaker 4: And I miss our look at live.
Speaker 2: I miss our live shows because we would always have listeners who ended up making friends and then became besties and relationships would form. I know that's even happened for us basically at our own shows. So it's another opportunity to meet other listeners. There is a little community of locomotives out there, and so if you haven't connected with other listeners, this is going to be a really great chance to do that.
Speaker 1: Yes, So come through June eighth at Boulevard Market from six pm to eleven pm.
Speaker 3: We're gonna eat, we're gonna drink, we're gonna chat.
Speaker 2: Come through, come through, And.
Speaker 1: Now we're super excited to bring on Annavette Martinez, co founder of the Radical Monarchs. But before that, we're gonna go on a quick break and we'll be right back. Awesome, and we're back, Okay, Loka Motives without further ado, We are so excited to have Anna Yvette Martinez, co founder of the Radical Monarchs, with us today. Annaivette, can you introduce yourself to our listeners?
Speaker 6: Yes, Hello, my name is Anievett Maria Martinez. Pornouns are she, her and femme. I am a queer mother of color. I identify as a high fem Centro Americana. I recently crowned Olricia Santa born and raised in the Bay and I am one of the co founders and CEOs of Radical Monarchs.
Speaker 4: Amazing, Thank you so much for joining us today.
Speaker 2: I feel like we have been following your journey, your work, and the Radical Monarchs in particular for years now, and watching the Radical Monarchs grow and feeling just like really proud of the organization and the program and what you're doing for the community.
Speaker 4: So thank you for joining us.
Speaker 2: I'm look at Dora today.
Speaker 3: Yes, of course, So let's get started with that.
Speaker 1: With the origin story of the Radical Monarchs. I know was inspired by your own daughter, your own child, So can you tell us more about how it got started and just its evolution.
Speaker 7: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 6: So when my daughter Lupita was in fourth grade, a lot of her classmates for joining a local traditional Scouting troupe, and so naturally she wanted to join too, and she was like, Mommy, there's this like troops starting up in my class and my friends are joining, and I was like, oh, I was like okay, And you know, like no shade to the Girl Scouts of America that I was never a girl Scout. That didn't exist in my community, so I didn't know much about it. But when I started to look at the composition of what that troop would look like for my daughter, she would have been only one of two girls of color, and so that concerned me. In addition to that, you know, Lupita was raised in a very politically conscious radical household, and so Lupita's been attending marches and pride events and visuals and actions since she was a baby, since she was like literally out of the womb and a stroller. And so I also kind of felt like what traditional scouting looked like was very kind of watered down, was a very water down version of what justice looks like for us, And so I started to kind of dream about what would it look like for us to have something they had some elements of scouting right, this idea of like camarodity, right of building, like fear, sisterhood, earning badges right based on things. But I was like, what would it look like if they actually earned badges on like radical cool shit that you don't typically learn until you're much older. And so I had this idea and I literally just pitched it to Lupita and I was like, I don't know about you joining that, like you know, traditional scouting troupe, but what if we do this kind of like on our own. And she immediately like lit up and was just kind of like, oh my god, Mommy, like yes, that's what I want to do.
Speaker 7: Let's do it. And I was like, okay, like let's do it.
Speaker 6: At the time, I was, you know, a full time community organizer. I also have a second child, and so I was really busy and so to be honest, I kept forgetting about it, like and Lupita like never let.
Speaker 7: That idea go, Like she was like, when are we doing that thing? When are we doing that thing?
Speaker 6: And she was like literally recruiting her classmates. She's like, my mom and I are starting this troop, like do you want to join?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 6: So I was like, oh my god, Okay, I guess I have to do this for my kid. And so at that point I turned to one of my best friends and chosen sister Feends Marilyn Hollandquest and I was like, Hey, I have this idea of doing this thing for my kid.
Speaker 7: I can do this by myself. Both her and I are.
Speaker 6: Longtime you know, community organizers, activists, youth workers, and educators, and so I knew that she'd be a great person to do this with. And so I was like, what do you think about doing this with me? It would just be for Lupita and her homies. And she was like hell yeah, Like that is a dope idea, Let's do it.
Speaker 7: And so that's how it started, like really organically.
Speaker 2: And how did you come up with the name Radical Monarchs? I think, you know, monarchs, butterflies have this symbolic meaning historically, and like movement spaces, migrant immigrant spaces. How did you decide to land on that name?
Speaker 6: Yeah, so it wasn't our initial name. Our initial name was actually the Radical Brownies.
Speaker 3: Do you remember, Oh yeah, right, yeah totally.
Speaker 6: So initially it was very much like, oh, like the girls got brownies, but radical, so Radical Brownies, and so that was our initial name. But the minute we started to get some media attention the first time we attended our first action. Now it's important to note that, like we launched in December twenty fourteen, that was like right in the middle of all the uprisings around like the Michael Brown, the murder of Michael Brown, et cetera, et cetera, and so it was kind of like go time, you know, when we launched. And so the minute we attended our first action, a lot of folks were kind of like, oh, like, who is this group with these berets and these brown vests, and so we got interviewed by someone from I want to say, the San Franciso Chronicle, and so little did we know that that media coverage would just kind of put us everywhere, and we kind of blew up and we started to get you know, both death threats and people who were interested in joining our movement. And so one day we got an email from the Girl Scouts of America's like.
Speaker 7: Like head office, and they were like.
Speaker 6: You know, knock knock, like hey, like, it seems like you're doing something really cool for your community, but you also are creating what they call brand confusion because people are confusing your organization for our organization, which at that point where we're not even an organization, and so you know, they very politely kind of were like, y'all have to like cease and desist using Brownie's because they legally own that word as meaning a group of young girls. But the nice part about that was, and at first I was like really irritated with that. I was like, you know, like screw that, like we're going to fight them for this name. And then it was kind of like, you know what, like this gives us an opportunity to actually name ourselves and have the monarchs themselves or like you know, our trupe members name themselves and have them be a part of that process, right, And so we had them brainstorm some names and then they voted, and they voted on monarchs, and they loved the idea of the monarch butterfly and how one how it you know, how there are no borders, and how it they migrate and also how you know they also represent like this idea of transformation and how social justice is very transformational.
Speaker 2: We hope you've been enjoying this interview with Anna Yvette. We will be right back with more.
Speaker 1: I love that story so much because I remember when I first started following you at Annaievette was when you founded the Radical Brownies and then seeing the evolution, so it's so beautiful to see, like you know, we launched in twenty sixteen, and so we're not that much younger than you, but so like I feel there's you and I have connected so much and like growing our our businesses, the practice all of that taking care of ourselves and to see this evolution from like Indie Rascuatche even like to then five A, one C three to you, like going on retreats with your organization and really prioritizing care and WHI the talk has been so beautiful to see this evolution of the Radical Monarchs and the organization and to see you too, like at the center of it. So how do you think aside from the ways that I just mentioned, Like, how else has the Radical Monarchs evolved since it's founding in twenty fourteen, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 7: So much.
Speaker 6: We're now our own five O one C three. So we were a physically sponsored project for most of our years, and then just last year we actually became our own five O one C three. We are now national, so we now have troops in New York in Brooklyn and the Bronx Minneapolis, Denver, Los Angeles soon to be Long Beach. So we're now a national organization and we're still a small team, but we you know, initially this was much like Loco, like a labor of love, right, So me and Maryland, my the other co founder, my best friend.
Speaker 7: This was what we did on the side.
Speaker 6: We would literally come home from our full time jobs and work on Radical Monarchs until we literally could not keep our eyes open anymore. And so the biggest transition happened in two thousand and seventeen when we got to actually hire ourselves and pay ourselves for this work, and that was like a huge moment for us. And then now we're actually a staff of five. So the fact that we have five full time paid staff members is like so major for us.
Speaker 3: That's huge, that's huge.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And for those listening who are curious, you know, the Girl Scouts I think historically are for girls. And who are the Radical Monarchs for? And what type of children is the Radical Monarchs serving?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Radical Monarchs is for young girls and gender expansive youth of color, beautiful.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you know that brings us to the topic of today's episode, which is radical mothering. And when I first met you so many years ago, ten years ago now, I can't believe it.
Speaker 4: You.
Speaker 1: I remember when I first came across your Instagram in your bio, it was like Cuma, queer mother of color, and I knew, like off the bat, okay, like this femme, this woman is like, ah is a radical mother. Just by having identifying as like a queer mother of color, I know you're a radical mother.
Speaker 3: Obviously. I've gotten to know you more over the years, and I know that.
Speaker 1: That's part of your praxis, that's the way you part of the way you raise your children, and you've raised them because I know Lupita's grown now, right, So talk to us about like what radical mothering means to you and maybe how that's also evolved for you over the years in like birthing the radical monarchs and also your actual children.
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh, yes, there's definitely been. It's definitely evolved, I would say, right. I think when I was first, I was also a young mother, and I think that that also has a lot to do with it. Right, So I was pregnant with Lupita. I got pregnant Lupita when it was in my last year in undergrad at UCLA. So she literally like walked across stage with me in my tummy when I graduated.
Speaker 7: And I think that initially, as.
Speaker 6: A young mother and as a young radicalized mother, I felt very much like, okay, like I'm not doing nothing that I was raised with, right, Like I'm gonna like my you know, my baby girl is like nothing is going to be pink and everything's going to be like blued. I'm just gonna flip everything on its head. And I think that initially that's what felt right to me. And I think that what I learned as as my motherhood progressed was like, oh, it's actually less about you know, having my daughter wear like you know, mask or boy representing things, or my son wearing feminine you know, presenting things, and more about giving them all the options to explore and to be curious, right, and giving them the space and agency to explore what it is they like and what it is they want to do, and what it does they want to play with.
Speaker 7: And so I think that that.
Speaker 6: Was one of my earliest lessons that I had in radical motherhood.
Speaker 7: And I think that now that my kids are.
Speaker 6: Lupita is nineteen, she's about to turn twenty in July, which feels like next month, and my son Diego is seventeen, I think that that continues to like really evolve and change as to what it looks like. I think that it also looks like them seeing me as more than just their mother, right. I think it's about them also seeing me as a whole person and ask someone that needs to care for myself and love myself and that I'm not self sacrificing.
Speaker 7: So to free that mother that a lot.
Speaker 6: Of us kind of grew up with, right, There's been a lot of undoing of that that I've had to do that I feel like is incredibly radical and I think that my and I think that my kids are only going to be stronger people by seeing that, by seeing that that side of myself that I think that a lot of us weren't able to see of our own mothers. And so I consider that also a part of my queer motherhood and my radical motherhood.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 2: Do you see similarities with the other parents of the other Radical Monarch members. Are they tending to, like be walking a similar path as you and trying to sort of redefine parenthood for themselves. Do you find like they tend to be like minded in that way?
Speaker 7: It's definitely a mix. We definitely have a mix.
Speaker 6: I think that the Monarch's families that come to us live on a spectrum. We have some that are like the radical like they you know, there were also organizers and activists, and then we have some that are more like newly arrived migrant families that haven't had the kind of space and capacity to be able to engage politically in that way. And so we definitely have a mix of families and how they show up in their radical parenthood.
Speaker 7: But I think that one.
Speaker 6: Of the commonalities is definitely and a common thread between all of us is that we're all we all want our kids to be able to be active and making a difference in this world, and we want to center their voices and their experiences.
Speaker 1: I love that so much, knowing a little bit about the types of parents that find y'all and arrive to y'all. And I love what you said about you being a person outside of your role as mother, because I think that there are you know, adult children that can go their whole lives without seeing their mothers as people and just like the Soufrida, like you said, the subservient like mother role and that's it. And so to see you be able to embody that and be more than just like the one role that is often forced upon us by depending on who you ask, right, I think is really powerful. I recently realized this. I've all come to recognize my mother, of course, as her own person. But there was something she said to me a couple of months ago that made me really see, like, oh, my mom is like really just figuring it out, even in her late sixties, just like the rest of us.
Speaker 3: You know, it's ongoing.
Speaker 1: We're all people, were all evolving, right, just because we take on this role of mother or father or parent or not. You know, it doesn't mean we stop being people outside of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, I remember, just to piggyback off of that. When I was a child, I remember once my mom got so mad at us for something. There's three of us siblings, and I remember being in the car and she was so upset with us.
Speaker 4: I don't know what we did.
Speaker 2: We were being little shits, of course, and.
Speaker 4: We're like mo mo mo mo. Mom.
Speaker 2: She turns around and she says, my name is not mom mmm, and it flipped my world upside down. It was like, I remember, it was like getting smacked.
Speaker 4: In the face, like, oh, who is this lady? I don't even know her name?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: But she has a name too. I didn't know. I didn't realize.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that's some those realizations are pretty wild.
Speaker 1: That's so interesting because then for some people, for some mothers, it's like the biggest sign of disrespect if you call them by their actual name.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 1: There was a period where my mom and I were we weren't working together, but she was working for an organization that I was working for, and so my boss was like, when you're around her, I know it's gonna be really hard.
Speaker 3: But don't say mom, say her. You have to say her name.
Speaker 1: So now I refer to her as her name all the time when I'm talking about her, and people are like, you call your mom by her name, and I'm like, okay, there's a backstory. But also yeah, at this point, like I got used to it, and so when I'm talking about her, yeah, I say her name.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it is definitely like, well, that is her name.
Speaker 4: You know you do that. How's Maggie, how's Murtha? Oh my god, you're not going to believe what Mirta just did.
Speaker 7: We're whole ass people.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's beautiful Annie that I'm super curious. I want to go back to something that you shared earlier about when you first launched, that you guys got death threats. Now I'm curious, as the years have gone by, have you still experienced that type of pushback or that type of vitriol And what is it that people is rubbing them the wrong way?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 4: What is it that is like.
Speaker 2: Fueling that that bitterness and that anger towards the organization?
Speaker 6: Yeah, we definitely get it less. If we get it spikes when we get like mainstream media coverage.
Speaker 7: That's when it spikes.
Speaker 6: That's when like all of a sudden, we get flooded with like terrible death threats and just like called every name in the book. Particularly, I would say it happens mostly on Facebook, like these these Facebook trolls are like a other like brand. It happens less on Instagram and more on Facebook and in our emails, because our emails are public because they're in you know, they're on our website. And so so whenever we get any kind of mainstream media coverage, we expect to get the like the clowns come out, the trolls come out. So so anytime that happens, we like prepare ourselves.
Speaker 7: And I think that the.
Speaker 6: Things that we mainly hear are like, oh, you're raising you're brainwashing kids, You're raising little racist like you're pimping out kids, just like wild as wild wild accusations. Yeah, it's really intense. And you know, at the very beginning, when we first got our biggest media coverage, it was like like CBS ran something on us, and then oh, who is that person from Fox?
Speaker 7: Is it Hannity, Joe Hannity or something.
Speaker 6: He's like the bill o, right, Kennedy, Yeah, yeah, yeah, So he invited us to be on his show.
Speaker 4: Trap A trap, Yeah.
Speaker 7: A trap.
Speaker 6: Instantly we were like, what we're not gonna do is go on, But they still ran the segment, and they used coverage from another news media outlet, like an affiliate.
Speaker 7: It was like a Fox affiliate, which we didn't know.
Speaker 6: You know, all the things you learned where you're like, you're not knowing this world, world. And so when that coverage hit, that's.
Speaker 7: When it was most intense.
Speaker 6: And that's what actually someone even called a bumb threat into my kids' school.
Speaker 7: No, and so it was really really scary.
Speaker 2: Oh, Sean Hannity, Yeah.
Speaker 6: Sean Hannity, Sean Hannity, Yes, and so scary.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And what we've learned and what we still implement today because of all this, all this, you know, terrible experience we have had in the past is we never post what we are in real time, So we always post after the fact as a safety percussion for our monarchs because that's our number one priorities, keeping them safe.
Speaker 3: Wow, thank you for sharing that.
Speaker 4: That's intense.
Speaker 2: We over the years, we've got nothing that bad, nothing like a bomb threat, but we have also received horrible emails and death threats and rape threads trigger warning. So yeah, and I think it has also coincided with there's been an interview, there's something we've been highlighted somehow, and they're like waiting, They're like laying in wait for something to pounce on.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the most recent one wasn't It wasn't bad, but it was it was funny. People got really upset about our name, Like we had Spanish speakers, Spanish speakers emailing us saying like we need to learn grammar and spelling because it's actually and I'm like, well, no, that's you didn't listen to the segment then, because we explained how we flipped it, But okay, sure, yeah, go off.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It seems like there's a lot of people out there. I think that this sort of coincides with a lot of the hatred towards like gender affirming care for trans children, right, people who like it's not their kids, They may not even have kids, but they get very up in arms about like children being brainwashed and like children you know, and I don't know, is that sort of the energy that you guys have seen, is that what it is that they're coming at you with when it happens.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's definitely the energy.
Speaker 6: I would say that coupled with we're being exclusionary, like why can't my white daughter join?
Speaker 7: What about the white kids?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 6: Like we get that a lot too, So I would say it's both those kind of energies that we get.
Speaker 3: What is your stance on that as an organization, Like what do you say?
Speaker 7: We say no, what about.
Speaker 3: Go to the brownians?
Speaker 6: Oh my god, you know, we've gotten really good how to answer this question because you've had to answer it so much. And so what we typically say to people is radical monarchs came out of a very specific need to center young girls and general expansive youth of color, and so it wouldn't like and so because of that need, this is what we are here to bring. This is what we are here to serve, and we haven't quite figured out where white allies fit into this picture. Yet. You are more than welcome to create your own like affiliate no organization if you'd like to. But you know, this came out of a very specific need of central in young girls and kids of color, and so that's what makes us unique.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they can always write a check, honey, they can always make a donation.
Speaker 7: Exactly exactly.
Speaker 3: I love that so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it's like it's kind of like read the Room, but also like I can imagine there are like these you know, progressive white liberals that are like, you know, they want to radicalize their children in that way or like have them in this like more progressive group, but also like read the Room. You know, there's so many other places for y'all. Yeah, it's interesting how you navigate that.
Speaker 2: And as your daughter, as Lupita has gotten older, she's a whole adult now. Yeah, and the friendships that she made in the Radical Monarchs, do you see those Like do the kids stay with the program until they're teenagers? Do they age out? Do they keep in touch? Like I'm so, I mean, the Girl Scouts is a really really old organization and this is almost the first generation Lupite's like the first generation of the Radical Monarchs. And so how has that worked as they've gotten older?
Speaker 6: Yeah, so we have. So Lupita's troop was our first inaugural troop, and the first inaugural troop. Most of them are either like in their second or first year in college now wow, or they're graduating from high school like this year or next year, so it is wild and so of course as they've gotten older and as they graduated from the program, because so the way our program works is it it's a cohort model. So the troop is together for three years and after three years they graduate. So for three years they're together as a troop, they earned badges, and then they graduate. And then once they graduate, we have alumni opportunities, so we have paid internships. So we have many of our alums from Troop one and Troop two have come back and been paid interns where we pay them to work on our newsletter. There's an alumni newsletter. They help us on the socials, make it the tik takis because we're not good at you know. So we've also had our alumni interns fly with us to observe the new troops, our new national troops, and so they're able to come with us and observe them and give feedback to the troop leaders about like what they saw and what they liked and things they could do differently. We also have our alumni involved in our hiring, so whenever we bring on new troop leaders, we bring on our alums to help interview them because they know what they're looking for, because they've been a part of the program and know what makes a good troop leader. So we definitely are very much still engaged with our alumni who have graduated from the program.
Speaker 3: That's so cute.
Speaker 4: That's so cute.
Speaker 3: I love that so much.
Speaker 4: That's so cute.
Speaker 1: So pivoting a little bit, but still related to motherhood, you know. I think one of the things one of the reasons we wanted to talk about radical mothering one, we've never really talked about motherhood, right, We're think so like other than talking about our own mothers and the ways like patriarchy like has affected women and mothers. Right, I feel like in those ways, we've definitely talked about motherhood, but we ort least me, I've noticed, like, a we've grown up, our listeners have grown up. Some of them are becoming mothers, right.
Speaker 3: I know some of my friends are talking about.
Speaker 1: Becoming mothers, and so we're like, Okay, we need to have like a radical mothering episode. Yeah, And so that was one of the reasons, aside from all the incredible work that you do, Like, to me, you have like been this person that has really modeled like what it means to be a radical parent, a radical mother, And so how has your idea of motherhood changed over the years.
Speaker 3: Like at the top of the episode, you said.
Speaker 1: I knew I was I wanted to do everything different, right, But I know you also have a really close relationship with your own mom. So how have you balanced those two of having this close relationship, wanting to do things differently and honoring like who you are in this moment.
Speaker 6: I think that it's a work in progress. I think that therapy has been really helpful for me and being able to unpack what are things that I have learned from my mother that I want to unravel and cycles that I want to break, and then also what are things that I really love that I inherited from my mother that I want to continue and I want.
Speaker 7: To share with my own children.
Speaker 6: And so I think it's constantly a work in progress. It's constantly it kind of like sorting of like what serves me what doesn't you know? And I'm constantly kind of looking at like, okay, like there are ways in which my mom mother that actually really didn't serve me, right, And I find myself in a trap where I start seeing that I'm doing those same things, and I'm like, Okay, no, wait, stop pivot. Like what I'm not going to do is continue these cycles, right, And so I think it's just it's a constant thing, and I think that it's it's a part of the work. And I think that I am grateful that I have an amazing therapist. I think that I'm really grateful. Especially I think what was really hard for me too, was it because I was a young mother. A lot of what you see now wasn't available to me back in the day. You know, Like I always tell my boo who my boo recently had a baby, right who is now?
Speaker 7: She just turned two.
Speaker 6: Yesterday, And I'm like, oh my god, Like when I had kids, like you would not find a lactation room, a like, you know, like none of that shit.
Speaker 7: I kind of figure that shit out, Like I was.
Speaker 6: In bathrooms, on toilet seats, breastfeeding my kid, like the and the world is still completely not catering or not like in favor of like you know, mothering or parenting.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 6: But I am so grateful to see what kinds of resources are available now because I didn't have that, and as a young mother, I was really just kind of lost and trying to figure shit out, you know.
Speaker 7: And I was also a student.
Speaker 6: I went to grad school when luk At that was months old, and then I had my son when I graduated from grad school, so I had like two kids, you know, like by the time I get out of grad school. And so I think that I love seeing all the content that is available to us now online and the types of conversations, and so I think that I'm also someone that's constantly learning, you know, even though I am a mother of a nineteen or seventeen year old, I'm not like I have it all figured out. Like I'm very much like looking for other other resources and other parents and other moms that are having conversations about things that I feel like I also need to hear or learn.
Speaker 2: This is fascinating because I'm curious now that reflection about what was available to you and what wasn't and how it informed your own mother ing. Does that lead you to reflect on what was available to your mother and what wasn't available to your mother and how that you know, impacted or was reflected in her mothering of you.
Speaker 6: One hundred percent on thousand percent, Yeah, I'll have conversations with my mom all the time now, you know, in reflecting about her motherhood and about you know, her relationship with my father for example, and you know, she'll tend to like really kind of get down on herself and apologize and she'll just be like, I'm so sorry, miha, Like I'm so sorry, Like I should have done X y Z, I should have done this better, I should have left your father sooner. You know, she has said these things to me, and I'm like, mommy, it is okay, Like you were doing the best that you could do with what you had, with what you had available to you. And so it definitely has opened up a space or of empathy right for my own mother as well, and I think it has also caused her to have more empathy for her own mother.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 6: So there's that saying, right that we feel ourselves we heal seven generations.
Speaker 7: I'm like, oh my god, here it is and it's happening. Action mode. Yeah, it's happening.
Speaker 3: That's so beautiful.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, that's so powerful because it's like it's not just, of course, we do the work for ourselves to be better people and to be a better verse universals, but we really are healing like the family line. Like it's not just some cheesy instagram saying, you know, like we really are healing the family lines if you're like the chosen one to be the like cycle breaker.
Speaker 6: Honestly, yeah, And I think that one of the most beautiful things that I've been able to witness now is seeing that in my own children, you know, and so like, there'll be times, you know, Lupita now lives on.
Speaker 7: Her own, she lives on her own in Oakland.
Speaker 3: I can't believe.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, I know it is wild.
Speaker 6: It is wild, and sometimes well she called me like three times a day first of all.
Speaker 1: But.
Speaker 6: There was one time where, you know, she called me. We were talking because we're incredibly close, and she was like, oh my god, you're not gonna believe what happened. And she tells me this like wild story and I'm like, oh my god, like and it happened like the week before.
Speaker 7: I was like, why didn't you tell me?
Speaker 6: She's like, Mommy, I'm trying to hold healthy boundaries and I don't want to put stuff on you and I wanted to figure it out on my own.
Speaker 7: And I was.
Speaker 6: Just like, wow, damn, thank God, Like it it was just so yeah, I don't even know what to say.
Speaker 7: Like, I was just blown away. I was like, wow, wow, wow.
Speaker 2: And you modeled that. Yeah, you modeled that. She knows that she can come to you if she really really really needs your help, but she's also learning to be independent and handle things on her own.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: She was like, you carry so much. I wanted, like, I don't want to put everything on you. I have my she has her own therapist. And she was like, and I needed I wanted to work this out on my own and not stress you out and not put that on you. And I was just kind of like, oh my gosh, Like it's just something that I never imagine was even possible.
Speaker 3: That's so beautiful.
Speaker 1: So, Anivetta, in addition to being this wonderful queer mother of color and the co founder of the Radical Monarchs, you are also in a really beautiful relationship that we admire from afar And so I wanted to ask you about like creating your chosen family, creating a family with someone where you're not necessarily co parenting but you kind of are but kind of not. So can you tell us more about that?
Speaker 6: Yes, Oh my gosh, So when my boo, when I first met It was like one of our first dates. She was like, you know, I really want to be a parent, I really want to be a mother. And I instantly was like, oh, this ain't going to work.
Speaker 7: I I have already done this.
Speaker 6: I am almost out of this, Like my kids are like you know, in their late teens. And so I was like, there's no way you couldn't pay me to start over, Like a girl is tired, like.
Speaker 7: I am tired.
Speaker 6: But something told me like wait a minute, Like, one, she's not asking anything of you, right, She's just saying what she.
Speaker 7: Wants for herself.
Speaker 6: And two like who knows if it's even gonna happen, right, Like who knows?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 6: So we began dating right before the pandemic hit. Then a pandemic hit, and like everything was kind of like no one knew what was going on, and so that conversation didn't come up again. And then we, in the meantime, you know, started to really solidify as a really.
Speaker 7: Beautiful, deep relationship.
Speaker 6: Right, which was very unexpected. I wasn't looking to be in a long term relationship. I wasn't looking for love at all at that time. I had just come out of an almost twenty year relationship with an ex, and I had taken a year after that separation to just really heal and grieve and let go, and so I was like, I'm never getting a long term relationship again.
Speaker 7: I'm never getting married again. I just want to date and have lover. It's like that's it.
Speaker 6: But then the pandemic slowed everything down and we fell in love and two years after because we're like still in this pandemic, right, So like two years after us linking up, in April of twenty twenty, my boo was like, I still really want to have a baby, and I was like, damn okay, Like who am I to tell you? Like no, like this is like your dream to be a mother. And so we had some really hard and really really hard and really honest conversations about what that would look like. And the conversations were just kind of continuous, and you know, I was very clear and that I wasn't going to stand in her way in any way or form. I was going to support her, and that I really needed to feel like I didn't have a whole other child to raise, and so you know, we made some insemination magic happen. I'm an official fan baby daddies, I like to say, and it was a one and done sharpshooter, and.
Speaker 7: The baby came and the baby.
Speaker 6: Is here and it's beautiful. I also feel like, so okay, so I also feel like experiencing motherhood in this way, not as the direct mother, has also been.
Speaker 7: Healing from my own motherhood.
Speaker 6: And so the baby calls her mama because that's mama, Like that's who birthed you, that is your mama. And then she calls me mammy Thiiti.
Speaker 3: It's my favorite. That's my feah thing in the world. Honestly, Yeah, whenever you post that, I'm like.
Speaker 7: Oh, yeah, yeah, because my boo is Puerto Rican.
Speaker 6: So everyone's tie thi, right, like every like you know, like every chosen thea is thi Thi. And so I was like, I don't want to just be Thithi because I'm not going to just be thifi, you know, like I'm aa love this baby like this is like you know, but I'm also not mama, and so I was like, what about mammy Thithi? And so I just kind of made up that term and went with it. And the minute the baby was able to put those like syllables together and say, I just like melted and so I'm like forever mammy thithi. And it's the perfect way to kind of describe my relationship to her, Right, I am like a mother figure, but I'm also kind of like a deepie.
Speaker 7: Figure, right, like her mama is her mama.
Speaker 6: And so I think that's really important to me because I'm tired. I've been doing this for nineteen years, and so the thought of having to like have the responsibility of raising a whole other child, especially because with my own children I did a lot of the parenting myself. That feels exhausting. I don't get that in this situation, right, So, like g is the main mama, Like when that baby wakes up, it is her who is picking up that baby, Like it is her who is leading all the like all the things, right, But I am one hundred percent there in support. Of course, I'm with the baby. I love the baby. I'll help out with the baby, but it is not my full responsibility. And I think that, like I mentioned earlier, I think that that has felt really healing for my young for my like young mother self, because I felt like I had to do everything. I felt like I had to hold everything for so long with my kids, and so to be in a relationship with a little one who is you know, my.
Speaker 7: Booze baby and our baby and.
Speaker 6: Not feel like it's all on me feels like I get to finally just like enjoy enjoy being like a mom and not have to like worry to death about a through zi things that need to get done.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you don't hear that very often, you know, Like I mean, I think we've talked about this on the podcast before, but the unequal division of labor when it comes to parenting in motherhood. You just talked about it with your own young motherhood experience. So I just I don't know that I've met a mother figure mother who has you can enjoy the child, like you're saying, without being the you know, Sufreira and giving away your whole life to dedicate to raise this child. And it's that sort of thing where like you get it's like the best the best parts, You get to experience the best parts one hundred percent.
Speaker 7: That's how it feels.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really is like it encompasses like that the feeling where it's like okay, your mind but Also they're going back to your mom.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm giving you back.
Speaker 7: Yes, I get to give this one back, Yes, because mine, like I can't do that. I have never been able to do that. So it feels.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it feels so healing and so different. So I'm really thankful for this experience.
Speaker 2: Fabulous, and thank you for sharing.
Speaker 7: Absolutely of course.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think our listeners are going to love that story that you just shared.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I don't know if it's just my algorithm or like I mentioned earlier, like my friends are really talking about becoming mothers in like very real ways, especially in.
Speaker 3: The coming years.
Speaker 1: We're definitely not on that timeline, Mala, you and I right now, but we see others around us, and so it feels like, I don't know how it feels for you because you're you know, like you said, your your kids are in their late teens. But I feel like there is so there's so much conversation about whether or not to be a mother, you know, I feel like people are really interrogating it in ways that I've never seen before. And I don't, like I said, I don't know if it's just because I'm now at this age and everybody around me is talking about it, or if there really is like a shift happening where it's like, you know what, I actually have a choice in this. I actually don't have to, but I can if I want to, and if I don't want to, I also can can do that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think there's definitely been a shift one hundred percent because I feel like, you know, on one side, I was a young mother, and so it was hard for me because I felt very like like none of my none of my friends had kids, like I've I've been the only friends with kids for a very long time, Like it's like my friends just now are starting to have kids, if at all. But I feel like I've always been the kind of mother too where I've never sugarcoated motherhood, Like from the very beginning, I was like, this shit is hard, this shit is not cute, like breastfeeding sucks, like like you know, like I've always been like it's really important to like to to kind of like break up the narrative about how motherhood comes naturally as well. Like I also, I have often said that I don't feel like I came into my motherhood truly until I had my second.
Speaker 7: Born, like I did, I didn't.
Speaker 6: It didn't come naturally to me to be a mother with my first firm, Lupita, Like it was hard.
Speaker 7: I was tired. I was like what am I doing?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 6: And it wasn't until later that I started to hear and meet folks who were like, yeah, like I don't want to have kids, like and I would be like, that's great, that is like good for you.
Speaker 7: I'm glad that you know that.
Speaker 6: And I am glad that, like, yes, like it is not what you see on TV at all whatsoever. But I feel like that was very rare, and I feel like the reactions people would have to that were very like, oh, something's wrong with them, like they don't want to have kids, like you know.
Speaker 7: And I feel like now I love that there's so.
Speaker 6: Much dialogue around, like people proudly being like, I, you know, I am choosing to not have kids because X y Z reason Like I'm just like, like I live for it. I'm like, hell yes, Like some of my staff feel that way. And I'm always like whenever we do those of us that do have kids, when we talk, they're just like, y'all ain't selling it.
Speaker 7: For me, And I'm like, I'm not trying to sell you nothing, and like, I love that. I love that.
Speaker 6: I definitely feel like there's been a shift, and I'm so thankful. I'm so thankful for that. I think that conversation is well deserved and needed.
Speaker 2: Anaevett, thank you so much for joining us today and for sharing all the gems that you have shared. You mentioned earlier that there are Radical Monarch chapters all over the country now, and so I'm curious if there's somebody out there that wants to start a Radical Monarchs chapter in their city, in their town, what do they do, how do they start?
Speaker 4: Where should they look?
Speaker 6: Yes, so we are now at the point where every fall we launch a new cohort of Radical Monarch troops. Like every year we're just like launching them. So I would say to look at our Instagram, follow us on Instagram, which is you know, at Radical Monarchs, because that's where we do most of our work and our callouts. And so in the fall, we have an info session where anyone who's interested to start their own Radical Monarch troupe will join in the zoom a zoom call and then we basically give you all the information about starting your own troop and then you can apply to be a troop leader and then we go through the application process.
Speaker 1: I love that. And if someone wants to join an existing troop like you mentioned La Long Beach, Oakland right and other parts of the country. If there's an existing chapter, how can folks join that one.
Speaker 6: The best way to join that one would be to go to our website and to email us and to let us know which troop you are interested in joining, and we can let you know whether there is space in that troop or not.
Speaker 3: I love that. Thank you so much for everything.
Speaker 1: Thank you for all the work that you do, for your vulnerability or honesty. This is such a great interview.
Speaker 7: Thank you so much, Jo, Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Thank you to Annavette Martinez for joining us. Thank you to the Radical Monarchs for all the incredible work that they're doing. And we will catch you next time. Lokomotives, we hope to see you on June eighth.
Speaker 3: You don't want to.
Speaker 7: Miss itos.
Speaker 1: Lokata Radio is executive produced by Viosa Fem and Mala Munios.
Speaker 4: Stephanie Franco is our.
Speaker 1: Producer, Story editing by Me Viosa.
Speaker 2: Creative direction by Me Mala Look.
Speaker 1: At Radio is a part of iHeartRadio's Michael Dura podcast Network.
Speaker 2: You can listen to Loka to a radio on the iHeartRadio app or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Leave us a review and share with your prima or share with your homegirls.
Speaker 2: And thank you to our locomotives, to our listeners for tuning in each and every week.
Speaker 1: Besitos Loka Loon