Speaker 1: Warning. This podcast contains spoilers for season four episode four of Succession on HBO aka Max plus, season two episode four of Yellow Jackets on the beleaguered Showtime Network. Hello, my name is Jason Concepcio and on Rosay Night, and welcome to x Ray Vision of the Crooked Media podcast where we dive deep. It's your favorite shows, movies, comics, and pop culture.
Speaker 2: In this episode, Market Moves Baby, and the Market's moving Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding sells Elsell, Bye Bye Bye, Kendall. The killer is back. It's all going down. Succession, season four, episode four. In the Airlock, stepping into that icy wilderness for Yellow Jackets season two, episode four, shocking things are occurring, as always add in nerd out a Yellowjacket's theory from listener Cornelius.
Speaker 1: Oh, you love to hear it up.
Speaker 3: Next, Market Moves, and so we've come to the end of the load.
Speaker 1: Cannot can't read your note? Is Ken's name crossed out? Is it underlined? This is Market Moves. That's right, it's Market Moves, your number one source for economic success and coverage of Succession season four episode four, titled Honeymoon States, directed by Loreen Scafaria, director of Hustlers and written by Jesse Armstrong, creator of the show, and Lucy Prebble. We open Rosie on the day after Logan's death due to pulmonary embolism suffered whilst fishing his iPhone out of an air plane toilet, which means it is now classy. What a classic way to go for a classic, which means it's now time to scrabble over the skeletal remains of his empire and sow up his outstanding affairs. The kids are dealing with this loss in different ways. Roman is fine, just brush his teeth. Ken is quietly shattered. Shiv, we learn, is pregnant and which is unrelated okay to what is going on in this in the current plot, but that's obviously still a lot to deal with on top of everything else. Prop Number one, first of all, shouts to our good friend h Over, a co host of Dune Pod. His partner basically called that Shiv was pregnant, so a big we were right to h and H's partner. First prompt it's a two parter prompt a by herself a father of Shiv's child. Is it Tom, her current husband soon to be ex husband. We think is it Nate, her ex she had an ongoing affair with while she was married to Tom. Is it the random guy she met at the bar after Willa's disastrous Broadway play debut, or literally anybody else could be anybody else? Remember she pitched Tom on an open marriage on the night of their wedding, Rosie, I ask you who is the fother?
Speaker 2: Okay? I think is fifty to fifty Tom? That makes the most sense to me, especially because there might be some kind of IVF situation first and embryos they've had that conversation or fifty percent that it's like a Dona that Shiv chose because she wants to have a baby for succession reasons and doesn't want Tom involved.
Speaker 1: Let's be real.
Speaker 2: Tom has been trying to climb the ladder of the roy family. He would absolutely, He's still trying very desperately. He would love to have a roy Air. So I don't know if Shiv would want to make that choice. But like you said, this is a lot to deal with and this I think this adds an interesting twist to the argument of succession because Kendall always seemed like a good get simply because he had kids, so that continues the line. But Shiv now is pregnant, so that adds a little bit of competition there for the ongoing Roy line.
Speaker 1: Very interesting stuff.
Speaker 2: I did not see this one coming, but as you said, H and his partner absolutely did.
Speaker 1: Roy of the blood is stirring in the womb of Chevron Roy. I will say, I'm going to buy Tom as the father. I think it is the father. I think it's a little too late to introduce some rando, although you know, I did enjoy Nate's slimy offerings to the delig And here is part B of the prompt. So Siv is on the phone. Is Shiv sick? That's the prompt, and here is the evidence to lay out for is Shiv unwell? She's on that call, and on that call to open the episode, she's not finding out she was pregnant. On this episode, she appears to be finding out that something did not affect her current pregnancy. She's still carrying the baby and therefore whatever the call is about did not adversely affect her her pregnancy. And then later in the episode we see her trip and fall in a way that feels not just an opportunity to kind of add to her humiliation of being cut out of co CEO. So I ask you, now, is Shiv well? Do we think Shiv is well? I think Shiv is sick. I think you'll read on this is right.
Speaker 2: I couldn't tell if the call she was getting was about them testing to see if the IVF or the embryos had worked, but on second watch, it definitely seems more like something didn't negatively affect the baby, and she said, you know, it's positive. The baby seems okay. I'm very interested to know is Shift sick? Is it something that is an ongoing illness like an MS or something like that, or is it cancer?
Speaker 1: Shift definitely.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of things she does during this episode that I think hint that she is sick and she's trying to get what she can even in a really shit situation. So I'm very interested to see where this goes, especially as I think it was. Super producer Chris was talking about how Brian Cox did an interview where he said every episode of the rest of the season is just a day, So how much are we gonna find out? And that makes sense after we watched this yesterday, you know, one day later, So with you know, six episodes left, so essentially a week. What can we find out? But yeah, ship falling over. They were definitely playing into the men in those spaces are going to think she's frail, but we know that's absolutely not Shiv's mo o. So that happening is very much goes against the shell and the armor that she usually puts up in those spaces. So yeah, I think ships six. Sadly I do not believe she as well.
Speaker 1: Everyone gathers at Logan's former Manhattan Plazzo for the settling of the affairs plus the board vote for interim CEO. The attendees include various Conservative luminaries, Colin Logan's body man in jeans, much to the shock of the children, a man who certainly looks a lot like former National Security advisor under Donald Trump, John Bolton, he of the let's just bomb Iran right now statements. GOP presidential candidate Menken, who is a Nazi but we don't actually see him, but certainly it's a secret. Security shows up, Sandy Elder, Sandy the Elder, Sandy the Younger, and Stewie, and of course Sandy the Elder, who we have not seen since he suffered a stroke. I believe it was a health setback that has left him. That has either left him with a smile on his face or he is just so happy to be here at Logan's wake sort of. He can't believe he outlived him. He cannot believe it. Also there Marcia, Logan's well last official partner. That's the big surprise, huge surprise. She is there. Of course she would not miss this event. She casually drops that her and Logan have been phone sexing every evening.
Speaker 2: And talking every morning. He checks every plan over. This is such a shocking power play. It makes a lot of sense because why wouldn't she turn up?
Speaker 1: But she turns up.
Speaker 2: She very you know, conveniently reveals this secret that only she and Logan would know. And now Logan is dead. She's in a house that she owns now that Logan is dead, and she is just stone fucking called.
Speaker 1: She is a cold killer. She shouts to Willa for standing up for herself. So Marcia makes this very pointed like, look at how high you've look, at how far you've come, really, you know, referencing her marriage to to Connor. And of course she is a former escort and Willa defends herselves, like, look at look at both of us, look at how how far both of us have come good for you, Willa. In the meantime, Marcia manages to run carry over with a fucking pool build or just drops her in a grave nearby Logan, certainly not close enough that she could say that she was buried with him, but like in the area, and then also manages, with incredible haste to sell the palazzo to Connor for some sixty three million dollars. Over the course of this day, two power centers emerged. There are the old folks, Carl, Frank and Jerry and the kids. The music has essentially stopped on this game of musical chairs, and everyone without a seat is various levels of fucked. That includes Tom, that includes Greg, That certainly includes Carrie, who is chased out of the building through the back door, like weeping with stuff falling out of her bag and saying Logan was gonna make arrangements for me, will somebody please check on it?
Speaker 2: And she's just fucked, also basically telling Roman like we were gonna get married, Yeah, like this was gonna happen. I need to find the proof. I need you Roman, you know, such a complex character, but in that scene has so much haw and FIFA carry.
Speaker 1: He's the one who who doesn't lie. He really is. He's a terrible human being as they all are, but he is the one who he can't when he sees someone like in genuine distress, it affects him. He doesn't like confrontation or conflict in it, and it really bothers him. He wants to see that everyone's kind of like okay, uh and it's a really interesting uh side to uh to Roman. So Tom then pitches.
Speaker 2: Person trying to sell himself.
Speaker 1: He needs, he needs, he needs a safe space, and so he pitches the old folks on himself as in terms CEO he uh. It doesn't go that well. Greg is out there kissing every but cheek possible in order to find a safe place for him to be. And then meanwhile, of course the Gojo deal is hanging over everything, and Luke Maxon appears to be kind of steamed at the kids after they left him on dial basically while they kind of figured out it was a power move, but then they went on to say, oh, wasn't a power move.
Speaker 2: That was the stupidest and probably most impactful decision this episode of many stupid and impactful decisions, instead of just letting Roman pick up the phone, Yeah, Connor el Kendall, No, no, no, we don't need to just just let it ring out. And then they're in this kind of hilarious farce now where they're going to have to prove to Matson that they need to and you know they're talking about they've got to be there in twenty four hours for the retreat. So I'm assuming we're going to get see that next episode, which I would absolutely love because Matson is high he Oh, it was just wild.
Speaker 1: Prop Number two real recognize real estate. How much of Connor's wealth is left after buying this house? Will It seemed a little concerned at the price tag, And recall we have seen Connor previously the child of Logan's first wife, not his more beloved second wife, where you know shiv Can and Roman come from, and it has been intimated before that he doesn't have as much of a steak in the family business, or if maybe any steak in the family business like the other kids. And also we've seen him in the past, most notably during Willa's Broadway play Begging for money from Logan. How much money does Conder have left after spending sixty three million dollars on the plotz. He was also very worried about the taxes, which I get, I guess I get.
Speaker 2: I don't think he has enough money to buy the.
Speaker 1: House at all.
Speaker 2: He needs the Gojo deal. Do you remember karaoke? How fucking scared he was that the deal wasn't going to go through and then he called Logan and he snitched on them.
Speaker 1: That's what I want. Nobody needs sixty three million for house too.
Speaker 2: The house is ugly as fought.
Speaker 1: It is a three. I understand why Connor.
Speaker 2: Wants it, because it's an ultimate fuck you to Logan. Yes four, Marsha is a true g because she did not she was not gonna get that money from anywhere else right now in the housing.
Speaker 1: Waste from zero time. She's like, he's gonna be looking for sixty to seventy million for it, and he's like sixty three and she's like, good done, spits on her head.
Speaker 2: So I think this would either wipe Connor out or he actually might not have the liquidity to do it, and he's gonna be become very interested in.
Speaker 1: The's got it. He's gotta sell stuff. So he's got to sell the cars. He's gotta sell the hyper decanting machine. He's got to sell Napoleon's dick. He's gotta sell like the Joseph letter.
Speaker 2: It's a corner yard sale is gonna be happening outside the palaza.
Speaker 1: I absolutely agree. I think Connor. I'm gonna say that Connor is worth fifty million, and that he needs and then illiquid fifty million, and that he's gotta move stuff around, plus get that Gojo money to go through in order for him to truly and finally and irrevocably purchase this palazzo, Manhattan, palazzo that Willa is gonna tear up the second they get into it. Whatever the game plan is here on this day is swiftly thrown into chaos when Frank, the executor of Logan's estate, discovers an undated piece of paper at Logan's private safe, indicating that at one time Logan wanted Ken to be CEO, and then at some other time he either underlined Ken or across his name out What do we do here, folks? The old folks. Carl and Frank briefly discuss Hey we could just, you know, something could just happen to it, this piece of paper. What if it got lost. I'm to say, I think it would be terrible if it was lost, But what if it was all of a sudden Johan just slipped. What if it shook and then Gustav Wynn took it and it flew away? And that Jerry comes in as like, what are you guys up to? And they're like, uh, we were just kind of like happily discussing this piece of paper that here says that Ken either is or isn't Logan's final wish as CEO, and we were wondering, like, gosh, what if this paper just fell into toilet? And then she says, oh, that's very funny. PS. I'm general counsel, so I can't play games like this.
Speaker 2: Three.
Speaker 1: How would you, Rosie Knight, speculating in a comic mode, a humor is vain, suggest getting rid of important legal documents? How would you do it in a in a funny way. Pitch me on, Let's get rid of these papers that are very very Importan and Germaine to the conversation that are ongoing and relate to very very strongly relate to Ken's interest in something, And how do we get rid of these papers? You pitch me on it. We got to get rid of him.
Speaker 2: Okay, I would love to have seen I'm with Cal on this one. I have to say, this is just a hat mess.
Speaker 1: I think you just clean again.
Speaker 2: I would have loved Carl has already He's flipped over it, Tom. He's at the end of his tether. His chill nature is leaving. He's always had a good cool front, but it's it's going. He wants his fucking golden parachute.
Speaker 1: He needs his money because he's buying a Greek island with his brother in law.
Speaker 2: And this is reliable troubles. So what I would have loved to see. I would have loved to see him just rip it him off and just start eating it. Him and Frank just eat it.
Speaker 1: So funny would that have been?
Speaker 2: How good?
Speaker 1: So Rosie, it's you and me and we're standing there and we've got the paper. What would you say to me? You want me to get rid of the paper. You certainly don't want to do it yourself. You want me to make the decision to eat the paper. How would you tell me to do it? I think I would.
Speaker 2: I would actually just I'd take a little bit of a corner to see if you're feeling like it. I tear a little bit off of meat and like give you the eyebrows, like the wiggle eyebrows, like.
Speaker 1: What about this?
Speaker 2: And uh, and then you know it's all about the money. Yeah, I just say, look, if these don't if this paper doesn't exist, we're in a much better state. And i'd also, I mean, I think this is the biggest argument that they failed on here. He's like, these kids are fucking idiots, Like Tom says it. Tom is the.
Speaker 1: Only one who's real.
Speaker 2: You don't want them involved. Yeah, the paper is gone. In my opinion, I'm on Car's side. I'm all for getting rid of the paper. It's time. The kid's idiots. What would you do?
Speaker 1: Here's me pitch it. I would also, I mean, the thing is, if you get rid of it, you can never speak of it again, and it has to be gone, forever gone. And it's a risk, of course, it's a risk. Legally you'd be exposed, like the lawsuits stemming from this would be just it would cripple you. I don't care how rich you are, and certainly Frank and Carl are not cut from the same cloth. Despite the fact that Carl is buying an island, he's co buying an island. It cuts from the name. Yeah, cut from the same wealth cloth as the kids. So I would heavily lean towards getting rid of it, but I wouldn't want to get rid of it myself. And if you were holding the paper as the executor of Logan's, well, here is how I would I would picture. I'd say, Rosie, it's a very interesting piece of paper. Let's look at it over here by the window in the light. Oh gosh, it's a windy day. What if you what if you what if you just what if your hands just suddenly not weak? You know, the wood is blowing so strongly up here on the seventh or eighth or tenth or whatever floor of this gigantic mansion on the upper east side. We all know how the canyons of New York create these wind tunnels. What if you just let go of it? Now, what if you just let all of that paper and it just flew away? It would be it would be, obviously, I think, a tragedy, and it would and it would rob the roy siblings of some of the context of their father's wishes in his final weeks months date, it's undated. Once again, we have to say that it's undated. But but yeah, but and that would be a tragedy. But to be what if it happened, it could happen. Yeah, that's how I would do it.
Speaker 2: I think you're on the right track, because once it leaves that room, like if somebody did find it, it's nothing. Oh, somebody just made that the internet cafe. No one's gonna care.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 2: I also think, you know the Oh no, I put it here next to my ashtray with my cigar.
Speaker 1: In it, you know, burn that shit.
Speaker 2: Oh no, It's gone basically many inventive ways. And I think they went about this the worst possible way, but the best possible way for unnecessary chaotic drama, which is what it absolutely instills.
Speaker 1: Well, the paper is then revealed and us immediately and suits. First of all, Ken, the kids are like, well, I wonder if this changes anything, and certainly Ken says, well, I think it does because my name is on the paper, and she was like, yeah, but is it crossed out or is what is this crossing it out? Is the underlining. Like I'm not saying it to be a jerk, but like legitimately the line goes through your name kind of for at least forty percent of your name, you know, space wise. Ken and Roman eventually coalesce around a structure that they think makes sense. Now they were both COO at one time, and that is kind of like the necessary according to the bylaws the next person up for interim CEO in the event that something happens to the CEO, So it'd be weird. They both say, if if we didn't both step up as co ce interim CEO, and you know, with this paper in hand, certainly it seems like we have our father is okay to go ahead and do that? Now, Shiv is like, well, what about me? What if we do a triarchy? We do three of us? And they're like, that feels kind of weird, doesn't it Like three people feel a little too much? But I'll say it, but what And honestly, I do think they have a point in that Shiv has never worked there. Now, she states, now, I did do such and such project for Dad when I came in briefly, and blah blah blah, But that as Ken notes pointedly, but I think fairly was make daddy would like, make busy work for dad. It wasn't really working there, as Ken and Rowan both had, and so they both decide that Shiv's officially out but will be unofficially in, as in everything that they decide she will be involved in. This, of course, is absolute bullshit, and they're going to cut her out at the earliest possible convenience. She will be shoved overboard her and her unborn child when we walk down the gang like, and she will go into the waters and seek below the waters and never be seen again. The board then votes, and guess what. Ken and Roman ascend the mountaintop for the interim as co Ceo, Hugo and Carolina then raised the issue. Now that the two boys are in the driver's seat of a statement, and here's the two options. We go positive. We burnish Logan's you know, coffin and his reputation, and we say what a legend he was and how his empire is in safe hands with the roy Boys, who were going to do just exactly what Logan wanted to do and would have done had he been alive or you know not in a not in a mean way, but maybe we go negative and we say, hey, Logan was fucking his assistant. He was a piece of shit. He covered up all the cruise, sexual assaults, all that kind of stuff. He was slipping Pete his pants couldn't walk back to the house when we were over in mon talk pitching what's his name? He was slipping, you know, various health concerns. And therefore, here's a new vital age with youth and vigor and strength at the helm, and we're gonna charte a brand new course. What do you say? The kids basically sided, let's not piss on our father's memory and let's go positive. Then Ken goes over to Hugo by himself, pulls Hugo aside and says, hey, remember that thing in the cold open where I walk past you and I heard you arguing with a person that turned out your daughter, Juliette. And what it occurred was you leaked the news that Logan was dead to your daughter, who you say you never speak to, but apparently you spoke to on this day. And then she went and did some insider trading, selling weight star stock before the news broke thereby avoiding losing a bunch of money. What if I go to the SEC with that, or you could go negative and you're not gonna tell Roman, You're not gonna tell Caroline, and you're just gonna do it on your own, and you're just gonna fucking eat this shit. And he goes like, I, yes, I will prop number four Rosie. The Ken document underlined or crossed out.
Speaker 2: It's crossed out. I'm a full, crossed out believer. Look, we know how Logan felt. I love this choice, and I love what they've done with this season, which is basically just taken us back four years, taken us.
Speaker 1: Back to the beginning.
Speaker 2: As Frank says, Logan did want Kendall to succeed him at some point.
Speaker 1: At certain points, some points it's happened.
Speaker 2: It was kind of like that in the first season. That's what we thought, That's what Kendall thought. But I believe that was crossed out one hundred percent. Whoever wrote that line on that paper give.
Speaker 1: Them the awards. It's so good because it is so well done. But yeah, I am a crossed out believer.
Speaker 2: I think that ironically, Logan would be incredibly happy with the way that Kendall is behaving in all of this, and Kendall has basically become the monster that Logan always wanted him to be.
Speaker 1: I agree with you. I think that when Ken says it's what Dad would have done, he's one right, it's exactly what Logan would have done. And two he's also he's also uh, you know, separating himself from the actual decision in a way that allows him to kind of like soothe his own guilt over this really shitty thing that he's doing. Well, Dad would have done it, Therefore it's okay because who can blame me because my dad would have done the same thing. And he is right. But again, I think that he probably feels significantly guilty about this, And I think you're absolutely right. And I think Ken, on a certain level, despite his bluster, probably suspects that it was a crossout. I mean, again, we think goes it doesn't go through the whole name, but it goes through like three or four letters of the like it kind of comes up and it yeah, like certainly like looks like a quick crossout that that it partially goes under the name. Now, that's why when you're really gonna cross it out, you really just scribble and you just go for it.
Speaker 2: But I if you're gonna underline it, you start loa so this doesn't happen.
Speaker 1: But listen, I think we've seen this. We know enough about Logan to know that though he was a very tough guy, though he was a very you know, he was a dictator, and when he made a decision, he was gonna double down, triple down, quadruple down on the decision. He also, you know, you know, very strangely, he changed his mind a lot, and particularly about CEO. He did want Ken to run it for a period of time, although he didn't think Ken was necessarily tough enough and put Ken through the ringer. He wanted Roman to run it and said that for a while and put Roman through his paces and even put him on the early rungs of the ladder to run it. He told Shiv flat out, I want it to be you. It's you. I want you to run to the point that Shiv said, you know, is this real? Is this real? Because you know that's Logan's way. He dangles something, he pulls it away. I think when he drafted the document, the original document, I think he probably did want Ken to be CEO, and I think when he crossed it out he didn't want Ken to be see yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Okay, let me ask you one more question, because I think when do you think the document is from? I think from the first season because one of theirs, one of my favorite things about it is on the document he just wrote Greg question mark. Now. Greg was like, oh, this this is because he wants me to be Kendall's number two, and everyone's like.
Speaker 1: Nice, try. I like Frank, Greg, I love a good job. Try.
Speaker 2: Like I like to think that Logan wrote that, like in the at the timeline of the first episode where he he's just like Greg, like, who the fuck is that?
Speaker 1: Because he just Greg question mark? Who whoo? I think that that's probably right, and I think that when he crossed it out, I also think it's a crossout. I think he crossed it and I think he crossed it. I think he crossed it out when Ken killed the guy when you could kill the way yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, Like well I killed the waiter, He's like a.
Speaker 2: Fucking yeah, he's at that point, he's just a reckless risk for your business.
Speaker 1: I found the the scene, you know, any time because these characters They're like spiders in a jar with nothing to eat but each other. And so whenever there's like a moment of kindness or gratitude it is, you just see it and you notice it, and it lands with incredible strength and power. And there was that moment where you know, like Ken has betrayed Slash backstab Slash undercut Slash left Stewie, his former college friend like hanging a million times now formally recall, Stewie was gonna back Ken for a hostile takeover the infamous Bear Hug to take over the company, and they were going to seize power from Logan. But then because Ken killed the guy, he couldn't do it anymore because, as he says to to Stuwie in this scene, he says, there was no card he was going to play against me, aka, my dad was basically going to tell the world that I killed a guy that and I was gonna be screwed. But then they so they have this back and forth and Stewie makes a very funny Stewie kind of burn about how, oh I heard Logan died when he saw your He died choking when he saw your business plan for beers. But they then they embrace and it's like, you know, you could tell that Ken really needed it. That was such a such a strong moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they've been doing a great job of that this season. There's also the moment that really stood out to me this episode, which is like extra heartbreaking because of what goes on to happen once the paper is found, but when Ken, Rome and Shiv are reading the obits about their dad and they're like translating what it means so they'll be like a man of his era and they're like he was a racist.
Speaker 1: Racist, And there's this there's this like.
Speaker 2: Absolute bonding and love and kind of laughter and lightness that we never get to see them share. And it's that moment of solidarity of what they've done, how they kind of beat Logan in the end, how he died, and then obviously Logan manages to fuck it up beyond the grave with some doodles. But I love that. Yeah, those two moments really stood out to me because when same with Rome being nice to carry, Yeah, it was such a slight kind of Also, Rome was very upset by the pr plan to like shit on you know, Logan.
Speaker 1: He hated it. He does not like conflict.
Speaker 2: He does not like it, which is ironic because he has arguably more reason. Him and Connor, I would say, are up there for like people that Logan.
Speaker 1: Treated the worst. Yeah, I wonder if.
Speaker 2: That softness and that kind of emotionality that we see with Kerry, that we see there in that moment, how is that going to affect him and Ken. I actually think Shive is better off not being involved, because I think Kendall's going to absolutely destroy Roman in pursuit for this power.
Speaker 1: I agree with you. I think what we're seeing is much like a Sith lord of the rule of two. I think we're seeing Ken step into the cape of his evil father here, especially with the moves he made at the end and the way he just instinctively cuts Roman and of course Shive out of this decision towards the end. I will say that one thing, you know, thinking about again, that that moment with Roman and Carrie, he reminds me of you know, one of my other favorite shows, mad Men, Pete Campbell for Madman, who was a piece of shit, uh you know, uh. Sexual assault was out like hitting on teenage nannies that his neighbor had, but was also like strangely the guy who would like go at his coworkers for being racist about stuff, and you know, got absolutely up in arms when someone said something disparaging about Martin Luther King and didn't understand why nobody wanted to uh sell products to the black market. Very very very conflicting guy. And I feel that with Roman the way it's like he's conflict of verse but also like an absolutely horrendous person whose politics probably huw pretty closely to making the nazense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's some kind of moral compass.
Speaker 1: There's one thing on like a one to one basis. But then he's also the guy who like offered like a child, like a million dollars, remember like thing during the softball game at the very first episode of the show. So he's just a very very strange guy. What an incredible season of succession this is. I wish we had another. I wish there was another season. I wish I wish it was not ending. Uh, stay tuned for more market moves in your podcast feed. Do you want to be wealthy like us? Do you want to be do you want to get ahead like us? Do you want to be successful like us? Do you want to be climbing a ladder made of the skulls of the people who dared bet against you. Give life, in your personal life, in your in your career, all of it. Do you want to just like be ripping spines of your enemies out and then eating their eyeballs out and all in the while the commas and and and digits are just increasing in your grank accounts all the time. Listen to market Moves, stop stops, bonds trading, Listen to it all Marga Moves every Wednesday. Up next, Yellowjackets.
Speaker 2: We're stepping out of the air lock and into Yellow Jackets Season two, episode four, almost halfway through the season, and things are getting absolutely wild. This episode is called Old Wounds, was directed by Scott Wyinnan and written by Julia Bicknell and Liz Fang. In the nineties, Wilderness, It's Chili, It's called It's Snowy and Tie and Van are out in the woods. Seems like a bad idea, but sure they have a mission. They are marketing the trees that nighttime Tie has been leading them to. Van wants Tie to tell Lottie she's still on that kind of trip. She wants her to tell Lotti so that Lottie can work out what ties supernatural connection to the forest is. But ty is having none of it. She's still very firmly on team logic at this point. Probably should have listened to Van because in the modern day, we see that Tye is watching Nighttime Tie go through her things. She's in a strange kind of pseudo comatose state where she can't stop Nighttime Tie, but she's seeing her and the boom she wakes up. She's out of gas in her car or her assistance car. I actually believe in a rural roadside space next to a forest, and all that she has in the car is a file next to her that says yellow jackets dun d d D. Things do not going well for Tie. Basically, get help, babe, We.
Speaker 1: Seek help expeditiously. I beg you. You cannot go another half daily like this. You're losing time every two or three hours. This is not Cannibal, It's not good. You did not keep doing this. The only time.
Speaker 2: I've ever seen this happened to someone on a fictional TV show was Hannibal, and Hannibal Lecter was literally manipulating Will Graham.
Speaker 1: To make this happen to him.
Speaker 2: So the fact this is happening without Hannibal Elector doing it, it's going badly for you. Also going badly Shanna and Jeff. They're arguing because, you know, as we know, Callie told the cops that her mum was having an affair with Adam. They don't know it was Callie yet, but we do, and Jeff's not happy about it. Nat is having a rather good time at the wellness camp.
Speaker 1: It's strange. She wants to She wants to.
Speaker 2: Find out Lotty's secrets and discover what's happening with Travis, what she did to him. But she is bonding with Lisa, who was the young girl that we met who was This is a.
Speaker 1: Nice little paracter. I'm a fan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there is a true kindness here and Lisa has a lot of empathy for Natalie. So they're going on a They're gonna go on a little trip today. Lots of road tripping going on this episode. Speaking of road trips, Misty, she is still very worried about Nat and basically all of her friends have forgotten about her. Shaun has wrapped up in you know, doing a murder. Tires has multiple personalities. One of whom only wakes up at night time, and Natalie has been kidnapped in as Occult, So Misty really wants to find out what's going on, and she's teaming up with Walter to go on the second road trip this episode so that she can find out where nat is and follow the Purple people to Will what we know is Lotty's compound, but she is still trying to work it out. Missy's calling everyone up. Her sociopathic tendencies are coming out. She's calling everyone, She's leaving them voice notes. But Walter, who is forever positive, is like, well, it's pretty rare to have a friend who relentlessly.
Speaker 1: Has your back.
Speaker 2: He ucky, he loves that. Then he's like, why don't we put on some music? And only As is musicals, and Misty freaks out. She's like, fuck you, you are a stalker. You love the Yellow Jackets, I'm your favorite. I'm flat, but like, why are you doing this? I have no time for this. I'm out And he's like, no, no, I just love musicals. I actually don't care about Yellow Jackets. I want a crash.
Speaker 1: I don't. I think that there's something going on, obviously, and I think he doth as we said in the previous episode, I think he doth protest a little too much. That said the I'm skipping ahead a little bit. But when they that side by side Seagans where we see Misty and Walter kind of both going through their same OCD paranoia routines of like checking their hotel room for bugs and using a black line, doing all this stuff, unscrewing the lamps. Everything led me to feel like, I think you only do that if there is something while he is hiding something. I think there is something innocent ish about what he's doing.
Speaker 2: I think he's looking for a kindred spirit. And I did believe this could just be Elijah Wood's incredible acting. He's so good in this role. But I did believe him when he said he didn't care.
Speaker 1: He was like, that was thirty years ago.
Speaker 2: He didn't even get the number right. He's like, that's irrelevant to me. I care about new crimes, and really, I just want to work with you because you're a famous true crime detective on the Reddit wards, so you know, those two they're doing that thing. Interestingly, we get this they put on, you know, a musical number, and then we jump back to the nineties, and we see Crystal and Misty singing that same song, and those two are obviously just getting incredibly close. It's very cute, it's very positive for Misty. Shanna is not feeling positive. She's accusing the crew of stealing meat. Mari's then like, well it was probably Coach Bear and Coach Ben's like, well you yeah, he was like he was like fuck you, Like what would you do about it? Like he's trying to get He's really trying to become dinner. I truly believe it.
Speaker 1: But also like, I think he makes a great point, which is like what am I gonna hobble out to the meat? Did that is to carry the meat? Like I'm on crutches, I have I have one leg. How am I gonna carry the meat back? Like? How am I gonna do all that?
Speaker 2: He makes that good point, but then he does follow up by saying like what are you gonna do?
Speaker 1: Eat me? I mean, it's a it's a pressing concern. And I did I do wonder if they won't eat him? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think they're gonna eat him.
Speaker 1: He's he's on my if I was if I was doing a ranking.
Speaker 2: List of most likely to be snacked on in yellow jackets. He would be number one. Nat tries to cool it down and sort of says, look, I'm I'm just trying to help everyone survive. Marie turns on that and is like, you are the reason this is all a problem because you won't drink a lot He's blood. You won't let her bless you, And that says, very pointedly and very truthfully, like me and Travis are the only one who actually do any hunting. Yes, everything that's happened with Lott is just a coincidence. They don't believe it. And in one of the stupidest choices in the situation, but one of the smartest and most realistic teenage narrative choices they make in this they decide that they're going to do a game where NAT's gonna go out and hunt. Lotty's gonna go out without a gun.
Speaker 1: It she doesn't need it.
Speaker 2: And it's a very interesting setup because we kind of see how Lotty is almost she is not the leader that we kind of thought she was. She's almost unintentionally being pushed into this position because of these visions that she's had, because of these things that she's seen and the girls are putting her on this pedestal, and not only that, but they're not giving her equal footing, so she heads off. Nat has a gun and Lottie has nothing other than you know, blood magic.
Speaker 1: If I was Nat, I would be like, am I going insane? Mm hmm. We're the ones who go out with the gun and shoot the thing and come back. Lottie is just sitting here. Even though it would be so pissed, I would be so mad. I'd be like, you guys are fucking insane. You do it, then you go fucking you go get that rest. Why don't you have Lottie bless you? And then you go out and find some meat. Then, if she may, it so easy, it's all about Lotti.
Speaker 2: She's like, look, you all just sitting here on your asses all day doing nothing and me and Travis are out there hunting. Like it's ridiculous. I will say very interesting because we kind of see NAT's logical team gaining a little bit of ground as the episode goes on, and it feels like, oh, maybe they're getting back to reality, and then we get this kind of Bonker's final five minutes that totally turns things upside down. So Natalie and her new friend Lisa are off on another road trip. The head enough to sell some honey that the cult makes. Remember from those bloody bee hives what he thought that she or her bees were learned. And we heard a spooky voice that said he wants blood in French. Very scary stuff. No blood in this honey, but they're going off to send it. But it's very interesting because Natalie, the rebel that she is, she really wants to help Lisa and she's trying to scope out whether or not there is something dodgy going on here. Lisa claims there's not rules and you can do whatever you want. But when Lisa goes with other members of the wellness community, she's not allowed to see her family. Sounds like a cult to me.
Speaker 1: So exciting, very explicitly like a cult.
Speaker 2: It's explicitly like colts. So Nat says, we're going to see your mom. They go see the mum, and Lisa claims it's because she wants to see her fish, who's called the fourteenth Gillie, and he's very cute. But there's clearly some underlying issues here and Natalie can't help but get a little bit involved.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the mom sucks.
Speaker 2: Quite the mom sucks.
Speaker 1: The mom sucks really sucks.
Speaker 2: And I think they do a great twist because when you go there, she seems to be supportive, but as the conversation goes on, she starts doing some really explicitly horrible things, especially for people who have mental health issues. While Lottie told Nat and Lisa, I can't come with you, I've got to go to the bank, she's actually at the psychiatrist asking to up her meds because she doesn't want to have the visions, which I think is very telling.
Speaker 1: Yes, it proves.
Speaker 2: That whatever is going on with her wellness community, at least as far as we know and as she seems to know, unless she has a nighttime lotty type situation going on, the visions are not involved in the cult.
Speaker 1: She doesn't want them.
Speaker 2: She wants them to go away, and she's willing to up her meds to do so. Her normal psychiatrist is not there. I think if you want to play into that, is there a bigger cult situation going on that other people are controlling. You could make a lot of argument for this, but I like her new doctor. Her new doctor has an idea. She says what might if you just stop trying to repress these visions, yes, and actually ask what they might be telling you.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is actual therapy.
Speaker 2: Maybe the fact that you've been institutionalized since you were a kid, since this really traumatic thing happened with you, and they've drugged you to stop you thinking about this. Maybe you should have a conversation about what the visions are and what's going on before we up your dosage, and lots like, well, what could they tell me? They're not real? And I think that's a really interesting moment.
Speaker 1: That was the moment where I realized that they've done something very interesting, which is set up Lottie to be a lot more ominous figure and then subverted that and let you know that whatever is going Lottie is a victim of it as well a passenger to it. She is at some point in the past come to the realization that her visions, perhaps because there's too troubling or too violent or whatever, are not messages, are not prophecies, are not real, and she just really just wants them at this point to stop, but has also somehow managed to kind of parley the mystique around them. Yeah to having it. I mean I'll just still I'm still calling it a cult and to be able to kind of like attract people to her and form this cult like organization.
Speaker 2: And you're right, she definitely is using the notoriety of what happened. I mean, she has bees, they make honey, yeah people. The fact that Natalie knows her. We haven't had anyone who's explicitly asked not about their past, but the fact that Nat knows her makes her notorious in the group. Like there's almost a celebrity to it. And I doubt that there's anyone there who doesn't know what Lottie went through.
Speaker 1: So I think that's a really good read.
Speaker 2: It's like she's someone who's been in a shit situation who's kind of parlayed it into stability.
Speaker 1: And success and wealth.
Speaker 2: But is it at the cost of other people in this kind of dangerous cult set up.
Speaker 1: X Ray Vision will be back and We're back.
Speaker 2: Shanna, Shanna, Shanna, this.
Speaker 1: Is this, this moment is listen. I'm all for telling the truth. I'm all for telling your family members what's going on with you and letting them in and letting them into your anxieties, and but this choice that Shawna makes you could not get this out of me by waterboarding.
Speaker 2: There's no way anything doesn't torture never gonna happen. No, Shawna after a great kind of suburban mum interaction that I think most of our parents probably had, where she thanks the friend of Callie's you know, the parent of Callie's friend, and she says, oh, thanks for having CALLI over. I should start paying you because she's there so much. And the friend's mom says, oh, no, Cally hasn't been there, and it all starts to click into place Callie's lying to Shanna. Shawna decides she's gonna investigate Callie's room. Kelly is truly her mum's daughter because she just left Adam's burnt license in her dresser, not hidden, not worried about it, and in a truly extreme Shorana moment that I loved because I really did not like bless Melanie Linsky, I did not know which route she was gonna go here, Shauna just picks up her daughter, drives her into a fucking cornfield like she's going to do a mob hit on her. But then, as you alluded to, confesses everything and tell.
Speaker 1: Us good fesssn't murder to her who is actively speaking to the police right now, Like.
Speaker 2: Literally, she is dating and texting a cop who is still pretending not to be a cop, which I think probably makes most of this inadmissible, but there's probably some kind of blurry lines there. But also you have to tell me.
Speaker 1: That's the rule.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you a cop, you have to tell me why didn't Kelly ask him? But like Callie, at what point has she ever proven to you that she is loyal, has solidarity, or any sense of smarts. I like, what made you do this?
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what Mayner do this? It is that thing that we talked about in a previous episode, which is that Shauna her the driving yes force of her personality, is that she wants to destroy her life. She absolutely thought of you when I watched this. She doesn't like what her life is, She's bored by it, she finds it unexciting. She wants something else, she wants something more dangerous, and she will actively work against her own interest to destroy her life bit by bit, and so here she's doing it in Yeah, you know, we do blow up my life. It's a new It's just like another risk to take here's an So I've already committed a murder and I've covered it up and then I uh, and then I went and destroyed evidence kind of not really. And also while I was there destroying evidence, I had sex with my husband there, leaving certainly more trace evidence than any medical examiner could find. And now, because that's not enough risk to fully destroy my life because now my husband and I are kind of getting along. Now, what I need to do now is confess to my daughter, who is actively in a relationship with a cop, that I killed a guy that they're looking for that they're trying to solve his murder. Shawna, don't do it. I mean, it makes sense in this most in a demented way, but it's also like so crazy. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also like it shows how to connected Seawana is from reality at this point because she just tries to play it off so casual. Kelly is just like freaking, yeah, I did it.
Speaker 1: I did it.
Speaker 2: And Kelly's like, what the fuck you murdered someone? And she is like well yeah, and she's like I knew dad didn't have anything to do with this, and she's like, well, your dad was the blackmail off and he's kind of the reason this happened, and as Jeff will rightfully point out later, you just made your daughter a murder accomplice.
Speaker 1: So good job suburban psychopaths, those two.
Speaker 2: So, speaking of people with sociopathic tendencies, Mistery and Walter make it. He has some useful info from a diner worker who tells him that the cult do not tip well boo, because they have.
Speaker 1: A lot of money.
Speaker 2: They have a lot of money, she tells them, while they sell honey a farmer's market, you can head over there. And then what I like to call a very Game of Thrones moment, they go to the farmer's market and you're like, Wow, she's gonna find Natalie. But obviously Natalie and Lisa I never made it, and you're sort.
Speaker 1: Of like, oh no, why would that happen?
Speaker 2: Sorry to Misty, she's very upset in the wilderness. Things are going badly. Maray is hearing her Lady Macbeth dripping Lotty decides the only way she can find some meat is to commit blood magic, cutting open her hand. Nat actually finds that giant white moose in a lake. Is it the moose from last episode that was maybe not real?
Speaker 1: Is real? Was a ghost of this moose? Yeah, something like unclear.
Speaker 2: There's a big stag and Lottie ends up becoming completely disoriented, stumbles across and this is a big shock. The Lost fans out there were surely screaming when this occurred.
Speaker 1: Oh, it was very This felt like they know that. I think they're cheek.
Speaker 2: I think they're trying to traw people, like a lot of people in our discord, like in a friendly way, a lot of people in our disc God, it's seen this on the What's coming next, and they kind of felt like it was going to be that lost moment. So she finds Laura Lee's plane, the plane that we saw get destroyed in season one that exploded over the lake. It is not destroyed, and inside is a teddy Bear. And not only that, but under the teddy Bear's seat is a tunnel that leads into the ground, and that tunnel leads to an elevator, and Lottie comes out of the elevator into a nineties mall where her teammates are eating in a food court and a Florence in the machine cover of the No Return theme song is playing eerily weird vibes I mean more and more.
Speaker 1: I'm thinking this is some sort of multiverse thing crossed with the final destination thing, the Final Yeah, certainly Lottie's final scene in the present and makes me feel like they stole from death or something like that, and now they're and everything that's happening is because they owe some kind of cosmic debt to something.
Speaker 2: I think that we get a lot of hints this time that either there's some kind of multiversal situation or some kind of timey whimy two universes string theory existing at the same time. The kids in the nineties and the adults now are all living in the same time but separated by like a veil. It's all very interesting and another unique discovery. I will say this is a good classic horror trope. Here Van maps out all the creepy symbol trees that Ty has been visiting late at night and shot horror. If you connect them, they make the creepy cult symbol of it. It's so good, it's so pleasing, it's so enjoyable, it's so silly, and time makes a very good point. You know, this is something that's been used in history and horror are in you know, Alan Moore's from hell. They have something along these lines, and time makes a good point. You could just connect them in any shape, right, It doesn't have to be that way, does there You be that shape? I guess to and Van's argument is, well, this is the order you found them, so there's some kind of order there. But I'm on Tie's side with this.
Speaker 1: I am as well.
Speaker 2: Van Van says, Look, if I'm right and these trees mean something, there will be another tree in this specific location and we'll be able to find it. It will have the symbol, and that will prove that this is something rather than nothing. Back in the present day, Nat in a moment, I just this endeared me to her so much. Nat has had enough of Lisa's shitty mum. Lisa's shitty mom crosses the line and basically Lisa's history of suicidal ideation and her mom starts describing very viscerally a way that Lisa could kill herself.
Speaker 1: It's like one of the worst.
Speaker 2: Things you can do.
Speaker 1: It's really really just horrible, really.
Speaker 2: Truly extremely fucked up and dangerous, and Nat just totally freaks out, yells at Lisa's mom, gets Lisa out of the house and very sweet moment and classic weird Juliette lewis Nat energy here steals Lisa's goldfish, the fourteenth Gillie, by just putting it in her mouth in a mouthful of water and then spits it out into a water cup and is like, here you go. And their bond here is kind of cemented. This is now a two way friendship. This is someone. This is Nat showing Lisa that she cares about her too. And then we get to and this was you. You mentioned this moment already. It's one of my favorite moments in the series. It's so well done, it's so fun. It leans so much into what's great about Misty. We get this great side by side montage of Misty and Walter, you know, booking themselves into this B and B. Walter wants them to.
Speaker 1: Share a room.
Speaker 2: Misty says no, and then we basically see that they're sort of their two peas in a pod. Yes, they don't know it, they're separated by a wall, but we see them. They both look for listening devices all over the room they cover. They put the remote control in a little plastic ziploc bag that they carry with them everything they do.
Speaker 1: They do.
Speaker 2: They are kindred spirits and they can almost sense it. As they go to bed, they sort of can't really get comfortable because they can almost feel this closeness between them. It's very sweet and I truly am rooting for this weirdo couple. Misty deserves some love. She's always been single. It's time. Maybe Walter is the guy we'll see in the mystery Mall, Lottie is freaking out. She's sitting at the table and her friends are kind of ragging on her, and she wants to eat the food, but she's also really cold, and she's starting to realize that the mall is not real. Sorry to the Lost fans, it's a hallucination. And of course she's actually freezing in the middle the forest, and the friends are just figments of her imagination, trying to help her keep safe. And it seems like Lottie may finally have lost her hold on the group because Nat has enlisted the rest of the survivors to go and get the frozen moose out of the lake. But and I will say this, I knew as this was gonna happen. They did not cut a big enough hole for that moose.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean a moose. I'm watching this and what is a moose weigh two thousand pounds?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: How heavy? Is? There is no way like eight young people, starving people standing on ice, I'm gonna fucking draw the moose out of the water.
Speaker 2: No way. What they had, what they should have done. Look, water is like flotation. If they'd have cut around the whole moose, maybe the moose would have rose risen a little bit. Instead, they tie a thing around its neck. They try and pull out of this tiny hole, low and behold. Sorry to that those survivors. The moose is gone, floats down into the depth. Was the moose even real?
Speaker 1: This is still I think it was. I think it was real. Yeah, here's what I say.
Speaker 2: You do.
Speaker 1: You tie the rope around the moose's neck. You tie the other end to a tree. Now you cut the hole. Okay, smart, Now you cut the hole because the ice would the ice was saying that was keeping it up. So you just try and slowly pull it up as much as you can, retying on the tree so that at least there's an anchor and you're not there holding on to the other end of a two ton animal that's drag you into the water. Yeah, that's a good point, and it is. Truly, this is one of those moments where you just know.
Speaker 2: It's like a game changer moment because if they'd have actually got that moose, as Nap points out, there was probably.
Speaker 1: Enough meat to keep them going till spring.
Speaker 2: Yes, now they don't have that, we know what meat they're going to turn to more than likely, Yes, And it's just bad times.
Speaker 1: Shanna.
Speaker 2: She's continuing the Jason trademarked blowing up her life by telling Jeff that she told Kelly about Adam. But the best thing is she dude, She's just like, I think we're all going to be fine.
Speaker 1: And he's like, what do you mean for all of us? She's like, what do you mean all of us?
Speaker 2: And she's like, well, I told Cally that we that we you know, I killed Adam and we covered it up. And he's like, what the fuck is wrong with you?
Speaker 1: He's like, as.
Speaker 2: Parents, we're meant to just like not fuck up our kids. We're supposed to throw ourselves in the way of danger, and Sauna, you're right radical. Honestly, She's like, I'm sick of lying to everyone. I don't I'm lying to every single person in my day to day life. I don't want to lie to my door.
Speaker 1: Well, what about the cops? Everybody like radical honesty for everybody except the polic cops.
Speaker 2: And hilariously, I don't know if she's playing a game. I don't know if she's endeared by the fact that her mum kind of alluded to the horrors of the forest and how much it affected her.
Speaker 1: But Kelly shows up, yeah.
Speaker 2: And Jeff's like, oh, aren't you going to your friend's house tonight? And she was like, oh, well, she haven't. She's being honest. She's like, I haven't been staying at my friend's house. I've been going to the park. I'm surely bad places to do, but going to the park and hanging out with a boy, and I'm not gonna do that anymore. So like, how can I help you? And suddenly they're playing happy families Because these three are the most fucked up people in the show. I truly believe that, like the way they can just be in denial, it's just they are just on it and they are.
Speaker 1: Playing happy families. Good for them.
Speaker 2: As we mentioned, you know, the moose in the Wilderness did not come to the fruit did not come to fruition in the way that Natalie had hoped. She sort of ended up freezing in the water. She's in their very luxurious spa. It's just is a timbath and I guess they're heating water from the snow on the fire. It seems like it would take them a long time to fill that up. I have had to fill up a bath with boiling water. But you know, they did it. They committed, and everyone is feeling down, but also I feel like a little bit grounded. It seems like Team Logic has a little bit more argument on its side. Now there really was meat. Natalie almost caught it, whereas Lotti doesn't have anything. Lot Oh, Mari and Nikia come back and they have Lotti. Lotti doesn't have any food. Lotti does have hypothermia. And Nat is like, you know what, get get into this tub and we're gonna bond. We're gonna kind of fake shit talk each other.
Speaker 1: And while we.
Speaker 2: Didn't get any meat, at least we are now kind of on better terms and things seem to be going okay.
Speaker 1: One thing that I think this is a wonderful It's a wonderful gesture and of course, like this is obviously Lotti is in real treacherous straits, you know. But I I when Natalie said this is my fault, I completely disagree.
Speaker 2: I would disagree.
Speaker 1: It's fucking not. It's everybody else who is suggesting that Lotti is somehow actually like actively getting every food when she doesn't ever leave, And it's not necessarily Lottie's fault. But she also could have stood up and been like, hey, let's big hand for Nat who is gone out there in the cold every day to go get us fucking food.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she could have also just said something along the lines of like, you know what, the reason that Nat and Travis haven't gotten enough food at the moment is because it's winter. But I think if we all come together, we can like do we each have a part to play, and she can keep making them the blood tea. She didn't have to go along with the game. I agree with you. I do not believe that it's Natalie's fault. Also, Natalie was happy for them to split the gun or to flick the coin and you know, have Lotti perhaps have the gun. But yeah, I disagree, it is not Natalie's fault. Natalie is truly one of the realist and smartest people left in that forest.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Lotti is definitely in a bit of like a disassociative state. I think at that point where she's just letting things happen to her, and she is re entering that place. I feel like in the present, she's going through affirmation cards.
Speaker 1: I suppose that people.
Speaker 2: Have written from the wellness group, and she starts to see ominous cards that say things like I'm grateful for my friends, and then she sees a Queen of Hearts playing card and is yeah, with the eyes crossed out. It's very creepy, very horror and she decides she's gonna get her trusty knife that by the way, she could have taken a knife into that forest, just saying in the nineties, but.
Speaker 1: She gets her adult knife.
Speaker 2: She goes back to the blood Magic Ways and she cuts her hand over a strange stump that looks very similar to the stump that everyone is obsessed with in the nineties, the warm stump. Now, this I think is our biggest multiversal slash timey whimy like weird string theory esque hint, because she cuts her hand open and leads onto the stump, and she says something along the lines of like kill us just enough, which I think, like you said, it alludes to this final destination esque theory, and as she does, it tie in Van find the stump in the past. And obviously that's just good editing, probably, but it feels like there's something important there, like the magic that Lottie's doing in the future is actually affecting things in the past rather than in the present day. And that becomes even more of an intriguing theory when they see someone running through the woods immediately after discovering the weird melting snow stump, and they chase him down and in a shocking twist that will surely upend everything, they find that the mysterious wintery figure is none other than Harvey.
Speaker 1: Dun Dun Du. He's alive. He's alive. How did he stay alive?
Speaker 2: This is the question going forward two months.
Speaker 1: Well, at least I think he must be. It's got to be some multiversal thing and he is in that pocket dimension, that place or something, and I like whether it was the blood that called him out or whatever, that's the only thing that makes sense, because.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a hatch, there's a real hatch or the because they covered a lot of ground, they really searched for him, and so no surprises. They take Calvey back and Team Sumnatura is just going absolutely wild. Nat can't believe it.
Speaker 1: She is fucked because I think you can. I mean, they well, I did find the pants, and I thought that that's.
Speaker 2: What it was. I would agree that that is the route she should take. But as some eagle eyed X ray vision listeners pointed out, she did technically fake Harvey's death with a with a pair of bloody shorts that she planted in the woods because she wanted Travis to get over it, but still spend all his time.
Speaker 1: She could still say.
Speaker 2: Someone shorts out here, so like, yeah, that's how I think that's the way she should play it. Not looking good for her, but Lotti obviously she is also now fucked because Mari and everyone else starts going oh, Lotti was right. She said Harvey was alive, It's happening, and Van she cannot keep her excitement under wraps anymore. She promised Ty that the two of them would kind of keep Tie's connection and sleepwalking to themselves. But she bursts out and she says well a lot. He knew he was alive, but thy knew where to find him. Tye was the one who took us there. Who has this connection to the forest, and we're going to work out what it is.
Speaker 1: Dun da dud, dun dun dud.
Speaker 2: And that is not the only shocking return because ty in the present day, after hitchhiking very dangerously across Pennsylvania with a trucker who she buys a wonderful naked woman pen from, she gets there safely. Good for her because honestly, I think getting into he's one of hers. Yeah, you know, good, good for him. He voted for her.
Speaker 1: So she survives.
Speaker 2: That's huge, and she ends up in a small town. She gets out of the car. She heads towards a VHS video store with a Pride flag outside.
Speaker 1: I knew you had to. You see the Pride flag, You see the cool viages.
Speaker 2: You go inside and there's a beautiful ginger woman wearing flannel played by Lauren Ambrose. It's adult man, she's it's happening, and she's standing in front of a board with different tapes that she recommends, all of which are absolutely just and.
Speaker 1: Really great movies.
Speaker 2: And also definite allusions to the things that we see happen in Yellow Jackets and the kind of first season. So yeah, the amoral lesbian that back. Hopefully Van can help tie. We're going to be very close to that halfway mark. Next week is the halfway mark of this season, and we still have absolutely no idea what's going on. But it's a joy. It's a joy.
Speaker 1: Uh, it is really a joy. Yeah. I start I think more and more that you're kind of right about the present affecting somehow the past.
Speaker 2: Some kind of loop over rules, like there's some kind of time travels connected.
Speaker 1: There, Like there's something like that occurring where this show we I don't know necessarily how it would work yet, but what if, you know, we think this show is being edited together cut, we're cutting backward, we're coming back to the present, we're flashing back. But what if, like some how this is linear, somehow this is happening linearly.
Speaker 2: I wonder that too, if we're gonna go if we're imagining hypothetically tim foiling it going full lost, there is a version where everything they're experiencing is actually happening at the same time, where they're either experiencing a vision of what their future could be. They're in some kind of strange space, you know, we've talked about I think in the discord are the idea that you floated about some kind of nuclear army base is very popular. There could always be some kind of hell mouth element to that or something stranger things, you know, where you have a creature or a space where timelines blur. It's gonna be very interesting. I am still just blown away by how intriguing they've kept the mystery. Yeah, but also how long can you keep it going a question?
Speaker 1: I do think that this back half of the season is you know, to use Lost again as a kind of model they made. Now, those were different television watching times, right, just a different TV watching culture at the time, but they got to think about as far as you could go without any kind of concrete here's what's going on. And I do think the back half of this season we're gonna have to start to really understand what's going on or else the only way to avoid them, Yeah, the only way to kind of avoid that is shit gets way crazier. And I think that that's also a possibility, is that shit just gets way crazy. But I think now with Lauren Ambrose here, adult Van here. It feels like there's some momentum now to start letting us in on what the fuck is happening.
Speaker 2: And we have basically our core cost now existing as both adults and young people for the first time. So how that all comes together is going to be really exciting to see.
Speaker 1: Yes, I can't wait up next nerd out.
Speaker 2: In Today's not Out, Why you tell us what you love and why? Or a theory that you're excited to share. Cornelia shas a very airye and I think very likely yellow jackets theory.
Speaker 1: Wow, this is crazy. Hey Rosie, Hey Jason, long time, first time. I had a thought, what if Shawna's wilderness baby daddy isn't Jeff Done but the creepy wilderness spirit slash man with no eyes slash dead hunter guy. What if the reason Shawna's baby isn't a thing or even reference to the president is because it was a creepy Melissandra's style smoke baby or something. Then the quote he inside of Shawna wanting blood, etc. It makes more sense. Love you guys, have a great day. I you know there might be something to this. I think so.
Speaker 2: I think we're getting to the point now where the baby and the fate of the baby is going to be a huge touch point for whatever goes forward. And I think if we're talking about strange, spiritual, ghostly situations that we are now seeing alluded to as if they are really happening rather than just visions, I would absolutely see this as a theory. And I think I like the specific idea of the kind of Melissandra smoke Baby. I think that kind of horror trope of like, oh, the baby is disfigured, or the baby is you know, something wrong with it. It can go quite it can become quite ablest or like weird, and this.
Speaker 1: Show's very thoughtful.
Speaker 2: So I think the smoke Baby scary kind of notion of the baby almost not existing and only being able to exist in the forest because Shawna really only knew she was pregnant in the forest when she missed her period when everyone else is sink. So I think there's something very interesting here, especially because I think the two most likely scenarios are something like this, or they eat the baby, and now they're really going to eat the baby. That's like the big question I have.
Speaker 1: I'm just going to leave you with this theory that feels too hackey and obvious. But is it Jacob's Ladder? What if they're dead? I think it's I think it's very likely. I think it's.
Speaker 2: Very likely purgatory lost. I still think that they might be trying to do that ultimate impossible to do trope. I think it's likely. In the breakdown of the credits that I did at IGN that we spoke about here, when you pause it, there is one scene, one flash of the plane completely burnt out with van Or burnt up on the plane, and I still I still think I don't think that's crazy.
Speaker 1: For those of you who haven't seen it, who want to watch a really freaky psychological horror Jacobs Ladder. Nice Thanks Cornelius. If you have theories or passions you want to share, hit us up at x ray at cricket dot com instructions or in the show notes. Well that's it for us, Rosie. What have you two? Plug plug plug, blug plug plug plut plug. I'm covering yellowjackets at IGN.
Speaker 2: If you want to read all these kinds of theories and thoughts that we have here, but in an even deeper textual way, you can find me Rosie marks at Instagram and letterbox. I think I should hopefully have something very exciting to announce soon Fingers crossed and yeah here twice a week good times.
Speaker 1: I am plugging a Primo on Amazon Free V Amazon Prime. It's currently available to adds your watch list. Here's what you do. You go to your Amazon Prime or you go to your FREEV app. You search Primo Shay sh e A. You see the show. It shows a family sitting on orange counch. You hit the plus symbol to add it to your watch list. You log on May nineteenth and watch catch the next episode of x ray Vision Friday April twenty first, for the season finale of the wonderful Mandalorian television program with our good friend Jason man Zukus. Whoo, that's gonna be super fun. Important programming note. Xtra Vision will be taking off next week. That are both episodes. Next week we will be going dark. That means no no new episodes of the pod on Wednesday, April twenty sixth and Friday April twenty eighth.
Speaker 2: And if you miss us, make sure to subscribe on YouTube, where you can watch full episodes of the show plus follow us at xrvpod on Twitter for all the core updates, retweets and fun news, and check out our discord to meet and hang with tons of amazing fans. That thing is just popping off at all times with the wildest theories, the funnest chat really and things even outside of what we talk about Sports Survivor. There's a channel for everyone. Crafts are everything. You'll love it.
Speaker 1: Five star ratings, five star revices. We need him, you gotta give them to us. Here is one from MJ It makes me happy. X ray Vision will always get five stars from media. Podcasts is insightful and formative, fun and funny. I love everything that Jason and Rosie do. Twice a week, I look forward to hearing your show. Your show makes me happy.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: But today we're delighted that we could do that for you. X ray Vision is a Crooked Media production. The show is produced by Chris Lord and Saul Rubin. The show is executive produced by myself and Sandy Rhard are editing and sound design. Who's Five Facillis Phatopoulos, Dilon Villanueva and Matt de Group provide video production support. Alex Rella for Handle social media. Thank you Brian Vasquez for theme music. See you next time, folks. Bye,