Speaker 1: Welcome to this League Uncut in the world of twenty four hour NBA news. This is you, Chris Haynes. It's so telling Bert Stein, it's so time This League Uncut is underway and on fire.
Speaker 2: It should be a good one.
Speaker 3: Everybody, welcome to another episode of this League on Cut feature and myself Chris Haynes and my brother Mark Stein. You know, every now and there on the show, we like to highlight new talent, new up and coming talent that you're probably gonna be familiar with within the NBA as early as next season, probably two years from now, you never know. But this kid that we're bringing on right now, he's definitely on the cuts of doing something special and it's gonna be a name that you're going to hear about in the near future. And without further ado, I like to introduce to you Tyler Smith, who played in the Overtime Elite this past few years and now he's taking his talents to the g League Ignite. And you know about that program that's produced some of the top NBA rookies and future NBA stars, you know over the last I don't know, four or five years, and now Tyler has taken his talents there and he's he's one more step away from being in the NBA, a league that me and Mark Stein has covered for countless decades between the both of us. So, Tyler, I want to say thank you for having us, I mean thank you for having us on like this is Joe Show, thank you for coming on our show. Tyler, just first of all, we want to get to know you, want to get to know your background, so you know, when you do make that lead to the NBA, you do hear your name called, people will have a clue of where you came from and what you're about. So Tyler, tell me just a little bit about your path to getting to this point. And congratulations by the way.
Speaker 4: Oh appreciate it. Appreciate it. So started off in Houston High School at Georgia Bush. Then I went to overtimeing lead for the last two years and played good over there my last season, and I'm here with Ignite.
Speaker 3: So can you tell me about you know you've taken. This is two unconventional paths by a top prospect like yourself, choosing to go to overtime and then G League at night. Can you tell me take me back to high school? At that point. So you're what fifteen or sixteen when you made that decision.
Speaker 2: Yeah, got over yep, sixteen.
Speaker 3: Tell me about the thought process of making that move.
Speaker 4: The thought process was planning for the NBA scouts early, like just so I could showing my skill set and stuff like that. The stuff that was telling me, like NBA scouts at practices at games, so you wasn't gonna get them high school because they really couldn't come to our games unless you went to a campus some and the caupsil just during the summer, so all season I'll said why not?
Speaker 5: So obviously the basketball reasons to go the overtime route and now to join the ignit. I mean, we could list twenty five basketball reasons. But when you're fifteen and you're leaving high school, just how hard is that to do and leave the social part of high school behind.
Speaker 4: It wasn't really that hard for me because I was in the COVID year, so I was already used to being like away from everybody. So at that time, I was just like, man, we have to wear masks in the games and stuff. So I'm like, nah, I just got to do something.
Speaker 5: Nelse and what age were you when you kind of knew, you know what, I don't want to go to college route. I want to try these other avenues to get ready for the NBA draft. How old you would you pinpoint yourself is when you knew that you were going to go these new modern paths that are available to young players like yourself.
Speaker 4: I remember ninth grade. I was like fourteen, I'll see Ignite then come out. That's what I said I wanted to do instead of college. So I've been to I wanted to go to Ignite. So when I was fourteen to ninth grade, that's when I really wanted to go.
Speaker 5: And people in your life, what did they say when you're like, hey, at fourteen, I mean that that that probably works in your favor that you knew at such a young age what you what you wanted to do. But like, how did people react when you told them?
Speaker 4: It was just with me, Like my mom, she was always with me in that situation. Like I was doing good in my game and stuff.
Speaker 2: I was going like.
Speaker 4: Developing at a high rate. So it was already like, man, I don't want to go to college, I want to go pro.
Speaker 3: So so Tyler tell let everybody know, like what's what's your height right now? What's your height weight? If you want to, but give everybody the physical tools of yourself right now.
Speaker 4: I'm six ' ten twenty two, well like with a seven one wing spand.
Speaker 5: Wow, you know what they say, Chris Haynes. You know, he this young man is a Texan and he's a lefty.
Speaker 3: I do you're gonna say that? I know you, I know you were going there.
Speaker 5: You know who they compare him to. I mean, you know, and it's you know, it's it's obviously it's a great thing, but also it's a you know, it's a tough thing. But you know, the Chris Bosh comparison gets thrown around a lot. How how have you dealt with that? I mean that that you know, I'm sure you're it's flattering on some levels and then it's probably challenging on some levels too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I like it.
Speaker 4: You know, I've been watching him since junior year, just people realizing that. Uh, I take bits and parts of his game and I'm showing them in the games and they realize it.
Speaker 2: So it's pretty good for me, that comparison.
Speaker 3: I like it.
Speaker 5: Have you had a chance to meet him yet?
Speaker 2: Not not yet. Hopefully one day though.
Speaker 5: And I'm sure you'll I'm sure you'll cross paths with him soon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you'll get there eventually, uh, Tyler. So when you look at again, we're here with Tyler Smith playing, going to be playing with the G League to night. He will be NBA Draft eligible for the twenty twenty four NBA d And just for context, Stean like this G League in nineteen you know, I was speaking speaking with some people from the G League. Tyler is going to be one of seven players that are going to be draft eligible for next draft. So this is the deepest talented pool they've had since, you know, since this program has started. So, Tyler, when you when you made your decision, like what went into like because you're playing against you're playing with I gat other players that had the same goals as you, and you know it coulde it could get kind of competitive too. So how do you expect this season to to shape up for you and your teammates?
Speaker 4: I mean, this season should go really good for everybody. You know, Coach puts is in the right positions. Not too many of us really play the same position. We do different things on the court, so our uses are different, so I mean it's been working out good. We went to Singapore and we've seen all the young guys play because some of our events was hurt or like not playing, so that stuff worked out good for us.
Speaker 2: Everybody was eating, everybody was eating.
Speaker 3: It was something you said about the G League Knight and Stein and Tyler. I have to admit, like whenje Leaguan Knight first started, I thought it would take time for UH, for players to really consider it and make it a legitimate, you know option, But it took off right away. And you said yourself like you was fourteen when it came about, and he was like, that's where I wanted to go. Was so if the G League Knight didn't, say, say, ge Leagan Knight didn't surface as an option, you saw players going choosing to go overseas, Australia and whatever, you know, before they got went to the NBA. What what you think you would have done if the ge League Knight wasn't an option.
Speaker 4: I probably would have went to college or Australia because I've seen people like Arjie Hampton and I'm going over there in Lamellow ball, So that was another option for.
Speaker 3: Me too, so this kid, Tyler Stein, Tyler was he was about his business. He was He's about whatever it takes to get to that NBA as soon as possible.
Speaker 5: I was hoping, I was hoping to hear cal State Fullerton was on his list. But he went right, he went right. I don't think option, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't think he's heard of a school.
Speaker 5: That's all right, that's all right. I'm not gonna take it personal, Tyler. I actually listened to a couple podcasts you did with Rafael Barlow, who's a good friend of mine who runs NBA Big Board, and he you told him about this summer playing a lot at U C l A and not just you, a bunch of the ignite guys, And could you just paint a picture for us what that was like. Who are some of the NBA guys you went up against, and how do you think you fared when you were on the floor with NBA guys.
Speaker 4: I think I did really good, like making open shots even blown by some of the NBA defenders. It was Jalen Green in the gym, Pascal Siakam, Scottie Barnes, Uh, the seventy six ers, the Clippers teams and the Bucks. So I feel like I messed up pretty well with them, especially for my position, blocking shots at people that's at the NBA level and do that's in them games.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it was pretty good.
Speaker 5: How competitive are those games from your perspective?
Speaker 2: Oh, it's definitely competitive, especially we're younger than everybody.
Speaker 4: They don't want us to like show them up and stuff, so they're going hard against us every time, and you know, they put us and you go to the third court over there, everybody trying to get to the main court. So it's really competitive over there. You got to win to get to the next court.
Speaker 3: So so that's how it is. So it's there's a winning court, so you keep winning, you advanced to that main I didn't know.
Speaker 5: That three three three courts at UCLA every every day pretty much in the summer, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't know. How's the physicality, Tyler? How how how you manage that?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: What do you thought about it?
Speaker 2: Going overseas was more physical than here?
Speaker 4: I'm not gonna lie, but like here, I gained like twelve pounds, so I mean the physicality hasn't really been that like that tough to me out here, but you know, still need some getting.
Speaker 2: Used to because they know some tricks and stuff.
Speaker 4: They've been the Eleaite for a minute, and people that's been here for a minute know what to do, especially if somebody that's younger to have had no experience for real.
Speaker 3: Stan, I know you love to hear that him say, is more physical playing overseas.
Speaker 5: Actually, I'm really I'm really hung up on this the UCLA Summer League because I mean, I haven't lived in southern California forever, but you know, in my younger days, I used to go to some of those games, but I haven't been. I haven't been to some you know, summer pick up at UCLA for ages. I mean, were there any NBA pros who who helped you, mentored you or is it kind of like, hey, the young guys really have to prove themselves and just kind of figure it out on their own. What what is that dynamic?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: Nah?
Speaker 4: There was definitely helping us after the game, like they'll give you respect, especially past Asiakam, Like I was guarding on full court the whole game. After the game, he was giving me some pointers on what to do and why not to do office and defense stuff like that.
Speaker 2: So pretty good.
Speaker 3: Tyler. Who would you patter your game after in the NBA if if somebody had to give you a uh, if somebody asked you about comparison, who would you say your closest line to a.
Speaker 2: Comparison right now in the league.
Speaker 4: Yes, I'll say like j Smith something like that, or Carl any Towns.
Speaker 3: Okay, the stretch, that's you know, that's what people talk about, your ability to stretch the floor A stretch five four? What do you consider your position? What is your position stretch for? Okay, so when you when you're looking at when you're looking at I guess trying to prove that you can hit that shot on a regular basis, be consistent. I saw defensively man, you know, I looked at you know, looks at some of your game film from the past few years, and you got a quick second jump that a lot of people don't have. Like if somebody gets you up in the air, they think they got you, and you come right back up and get the get that block. What do you think is from day one, like when you're drafted, what do you think day one you're going to be able to present present to an NBA ball club? Uh?
Speaker 4: Definitely my length, defensive impact in spacing. You know in the NBA you need that. Now you get paid a lot of money and make a corner three and play some defense. So I feel like I bring that to the table early.
Speaker 5: Tyler Smith from the G League Night is our guest here on this league. On cut, you know, Chris mentioned that you guys have a bunch. There are a bunch of players on this year's G League A Night team that are hoping to get drafted just this next summer. So how hard will it be you think for you guys to kind of put that aside so you can form a team bond and it's not competition amongst yourselves kind of worrying about your draft stock.
Speaker 4: Nobody really even bring that up because we've been on each other for a couple of years now, like growing up in high school and stuff like that. The dudes that come from overseas, we mess well with them too. Like everybody's together, so we don't really worry about that. Like, let's play as a team and trying to win, because this year we're trying to make the first thing nineteen to make playoffs, So everybody locked in on that.
Speaker 5: And then something else that's really interesting about the Ignited is that I know, you guys are taking classes and you know, learning things about the off court life. What kinds of things do they work with you when when when you're in a classroom setting and they're trying to they trying to give you tips about, you know, off the court, managing your life off the court.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just showing the stuff what not to do and what to do like some of the stuff that's been going with some of the NBA players. Like they give us examples of that and not like try not to do that or make sure that you keep everything low key that you do, don't post it to the public. Uh. They teach us how to probably speak to people, you know, because some people don't really learn that in college. They just like grow super fast and like just do whatever. So that's what we learn style.
Speaker 3: He says something that that's interesting as well about being the first G League Knight team to make the playoffs. And I guess the reason is it's kind of hard to get there from the League Knight because it's mostly young players and then you're you got you got veterans sprinkled around to kind of show the youngsters the ropes and so Tyler, you talk about trying to get to the to the playoffs. I mean, that's that's an interesting goal right there, Like, that's a team oriented goal in a in a probably the most pivotal year for all of for a lot of you guys, Like this year means a lot up to you guys. To to Stein's point, how could you how can you try? Like what does this team focus come in at at this this upcoming season?
Speaker 2: What is the focus?
Speaker 3: Yeah, like how do you how do you come to that focus? And this and this crucial part where this is like a real pivotal for year for I commend you. I've been saying, like where where does that come from?
Speaker 4: I mean, we have a lot of good players from top to bottom, especially young players that got a lot of ask the thing so like once one player gets tired, we have another.
Speaker 2: Player in the same position to come in and cook.
Speaker 4: So everybody could score, everybody can play defense, and I feel like we have the best team to do that this year.
Speaker 5: Just when you look at your own game, what are the one, two three things that you want to do better this season than you did last season?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 4: Some more of my defensive presence more I could switch on guards and just be more consistent on my jump shots and get into the rim.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's one. That's one thing I saw on the pick and roll, being able to switch. I've seen a lot of people praise you. You for that. You know that that'll take you a long way as a guy your size that can be able to stay in the game. You know, regardless of whatever matchup, you can stay in the game and you can defend those matchups. What did you you played with the Thompson Twist. What is your relationship with them?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 3: What what do you think? What do you think? How you think their game is to transition into the NBA.
Speaker 2: I mean, you see what they're doing right now. They're putting up double dobles and stuff.
Speaker 4: Already I managed had like an under the basket winmill yesterday. I mean, it's pretty easy for their transition. They're athletics, six seven guards. I can see over defense and stuff. So their game gonna translate pretty easy. Our relationship with them, I've been with them for the last two years. Also been to the gym at night time to like one am, sometimes like almost slipping the gym with them.
Speaker 2: So yeah, pretty good basketball related mainly.
Speaker 5: So I haven't had a I have not had a chance to meet the Thompson Twins yet. But when you're as old as me, the Thompson Twins, you know that that was a that was a whole different thing in the eighties. Do you are the are the NBA Thompson Twins aware of the Thompson Twins banned from the eighties? Does that ever come up in giving those guys a hard time?
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 3: You lost me to even.
Speaker 5: You don't know the Thompson Twins.
Speaker 3: What Thompson Twins? What?
Speaker 5: Wow? I know, I'm I know I'm old and I'm way older than Tyler, but I'm not that much older than you.
Speaker 3: What Thompson Twins? Tell me? Who?
Speaker 5: Who? Forget it? Man, forget forget it.
Speaker 3: You're dating yourself style your date yourself.
Speaker 5: It's an eighties I mean I said, it's it's an eighties man. I know, I mean, I know I'm ancient, but I couldn't resent, I couldn't resist asking forget forget that. I wasted your time with that one. I apologize.
Speaker 3: I was born as Yeah, I'm unfamiliar with myself. Did you Tyler, when you when you were working like the Thompson twins. Did you know that they were? Like did you know they were this good? Like any of this surprising? Or did you did you see a jump in them? Like did you see a year like where you say, my damn, like their development took off? Like what did you see about how they progressed to get to that point.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna lie. The our first summer at overtime like it was real skinny.
Speaker 4: Next summer they came back like swall all of and then they just got ways stronger doing the same stuff.
Speaker 2: So I'm like, dang it, just it's just crazy, like they're different. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 5: In all seriousness watching them both get drafted so high. I'm sure you tuned into the draft. What what was that like for you? And I'm sure you're you know, imagining your own turn that's coming up.
Speaker 2: This Yeah, I was actually at the draft this year.
Speaker 4: I was actually at the draft this year, So that gave me motivation just to be able to get invited to the green room and just steal my stuff this year so I could get invited there.
Speaker 5: So what do you think? What do you think of what do you think of the chaos that is the NBA Draft.
Speaker 4: I mean it's a lot we went in the back rooms after. It's a lot after like taking pictures, doing interviews. So I mean, I mean it's a blessing to get there though, So I mean, they at least they're here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like when you think about okay, let's talk about the twenty twenty four NBA draft. If you do what you set out to do this coming up season team wise, individually, where do you think your draft range.
Speaker 2: Is right now?
Speaker 4: I'll say, like anywhere from like fourteen to twenty fourteen to twenty right now.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, so we're talking we're talking backup lottery, yeah to twenty. Uh So let's let's talk about that. You know, there's always star level players who are drafted in that area, even drafted later late, you know, late first round.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: When when you when you think about your NBA career, hopefully you're blessed with a long NBA career at the end of the day, what do you think you're capable of doing at your prime in the NBA?
Speaker 4: Uh just being one of the best scorers in the league and one of the best defenders and hopefully being an All Star caliber player as really.
Speaker 5: So when you talk about your draft range as your going through this process, is that something you want to keep track of, what the mock drafts are saying, what draft analysts are saying about you or tuning it out? What is your personal approach to kind of paying paying attention to that or not.
Speaker 4: Yeah, at first it was getting to me, like, especially like before some of our games this year, I was like, man, why am I not like up here? But I got to like show like more in front of people, like I just have to stop looking at that stuff. It was getting me like tight sometimes, but like now I don't even look at it no more.
Speaker 3: I was going to ask something long Tyler, like when you going to overtime and even maybe the a little bit of extent with the G League at night. You know, once February comes around, March comes around, everybody's kind of focused on college basketball and they're getting that exposure and that that love did. Did any of that bother you at any point? So do you think that that will bother you? Because it's always people are always prisoners of the moment. You know, if anybody does anything great at that time, they're kind of praising them and calling them the next great thing because they're in the spotlight right now. And I think that's probably the one advantage college probably has over peoples. Like during that time of year, it gets all of love. How are you able to manage that? Or how you think you're going to be able to manage that and stay focused.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's gonna be easy to manage it.
Speaker 4: Just play basketball and just be the best of my position, really, and then in the draft workouts too, you got to show what you could do.
Speaker 2: Also, you can surprise scouts. So I mean, I'm not really too worried.
Speaker 4: I've been having talked with my people that stuff really don't matter right now all what you do on the court.
Speaker 3: Do you have a NBA mentor NBA player that has been in your ear like giving you a guidance throughout this time, or you know a current NBA player, form NBA player, anybody significance in your ear that we would know.
Speaker 4: No, not really, just like TJ. Ford been opened me out stuff like that.
Speaker 2: So okay, Texas, yep.
Speaker 5: You know you spoke about trying to make the playoffs and trying to be the first Ignite team that gets to the G League. Playoffs, but not with the veterans. I realized the veterans joined the group later. But but the young guys on the team in your age bracket, You guys have played a fair bit together this summer, So what I mean you've gotten a You've gotten a head start on really the rest of the G League. When you ask people what and what your coaches are telling you, how feasible is it that you guys could be that first team to make the playoffs? What what do the coaches say about your chances?
Speaker 2: I mean, we already played five games together.
Speaker 4: We know what we need to work on as a team, so I mean, you know it's easy fixes And they say in the G League, it's like I'm not gonna I'm not gonnay the resident bad, but like like sometimes the risk can make back calls and stuff. So sometimes the game is gonna be with us, or we're gonna be within the game because they call a lot of thousand and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: So it's gonna be winnable games for us a lot.
Speaker 3: So who are you who are you closest with on a G League in night team?
Speaker 4: I'll say everybody, But really I bail him for two years also at overtime.
Speaker 3: So that's right, that's right, that's the easy one. I saw that I should have I should have knew that from from the beginning. So I don't know, ty like, I don't know if you like Stott mark Stein. Just to give you his credential style, this is your what year covering the NBA?
Speaker 5: This is gonna be my thirty first season. But I think I've already I think after asking my musical question, I think everybody gets it. I'm I'm just an old old man, and you know what i am. When I meet the Thompson Twins, I'm not gonna be able to resist asking them that same question. I will embarrass my I will embarrass myself again.
Speaker 3: I think you'll get to say, and Detroit.
Speaker 5: Is actually in Dallas early or not? Detroit is the only is the only is the MAVs only preseason game in Dallas. So I will soon get my chance with Stein, half of the Thompson Twins.
Speaker 3: Stein's based in Dallas and I'm based in California. By I'm all over the place. So I'm the guy. You know, I'm an NBA reporter about twelve years. In thirteen years in I'm also the sideline reporter for T and T games, So if you watch the TNT games, you'll see me interviewing the players at the end of the game on the court. But uh, I think like when you think of the let's let's okay, so let's say a year from now, exactly a year from now, at that point, what do you think will be if somebody asked you a year from now, Tyler, what was the one thing you did, What was the one crucial decision you made that got you to this point? Or who was the most inspirational or integral you know or you know, just just person that was really an integral peace to how you got to this stage. What would be your answer.
Speaker 5: The most important decision besides coming on this podcast?
Speaker 2: He meant, Oh, probably my mom? My mom?
Speaker 3: How how much was that was that mom that was hooking up everything before you came up, before you came home. Okay, shout out to moms right there, still still doing things for the baby right there. Uh, tell me about tell me about your mom's part and just allowing you to try to chase your dreams. Just you can you just give me a little glimpse into mom's.
Speaker 4: My mom she's like my manager too, so I mean she handles everything on and off the court for me, puts me in the right situations just like this right now, just helping me and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: So she knew everything.
Speaker 3: No, that's dope, man. And you know, Tyder, I probably got like one more question on those Stein has one more. But you know one thing, you know again, we're talking with Tyler Smith. You'll check him out. Remember the G League ignite. He's going to be draft eligible for the twenty twenty four NBA draft. You know he can go somewhere lottery, you know he he's saying somewhere fourteen to twenty range. But we know how one year, one season can change a lot. Workouts can change a lot, so it could be potentially higher. This is a sixteen to you, eighteen or nineteen eighteen eighteen, sixteen, eighteen years old, two hundred and twenty pounds, athletics, left teams of the ball left most important. If you ask Steyn, he's a left y.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Tyler does every August on left hand on International left Handers Day, I put I put out the all lefty team. It's unofficial, but I like to pretend it's official, I put out five starters and a sixth man. So will soon you will soon be you will soon be a contender for a spot on that team.
Speaker 3: So will he be eligible for next August team? Because he would just have been playing well, he would have played some league, He would have some league under his belt.
Speaker 5: Even if he's the number one pick, he cannot be eligible till he plays in the NBA. But once he plays in the NBA, he will be eligible.
Speaker 3: My last question for you, Tyler, when I guess when it's all when it's all set and done, Man, when it's all set and done, you finally reach that goal, what are you going to think about? What do you think is going to come to your head? Because you were at the NBA draft and you've seen how lives changed at that one moment. What's going to be circling around your mind at that point?
Speaker 2: Talking about right after the draft?
Speaker 3: Yep, after the draft? I mean your name, Carl, what's going to be circling in your mind?
Speaker 2: Really? Like the work just be young for that?
Speaker 4: Like just all my life been trying to go to the league, and I'm here, so I gotta work even harder now.
Speaker 3: Mm it works to stop yeah, it works still stop and I lie to you, Todd. This is my last question. What is something that people may not know about you that that probably will surprise most if they heard about it.
Speaker 4: I'm really a simple person. I don't really do nothing ab outside or nothing like that. So I mean, it's nothing too crazy. I'll just like chilling in the house my brother, stuff like that, playing the game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, all right, well it stein you good? Stan.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, I'm really glad that we got this chance to meet you. And look, I haven't seen him for ages, but if I somewhere, and I'm sure Chris will do the same. If if somehow someway we run into Chris Bosh, we will we will tell him. We will tell him about you and tell him to find you.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, for sure that this is Tyler Smith. Tyler, we appreciate you coming on this League Uncut podcast. Man, we wish you you know nothing but the best this season to G League tonight and I'll be at the NBA Draft of twenty twenty four. I'll probably see you before then. I'll come to a couple of night games. But man, we wish you the best of luck and most importantly, thank you for coming on.
Speaker 2: Man, thank you for having me.
Speaker 5: Good luck to you, Tyler, Thanks Amil, Thanks.
Speaker 1: And that'll do it for us. See you next time. This league uncutage and iHeartRadio production
Speaker 2: Christ Haines and Mark Stein,