Speaker 1: And he texted me after the game and I just want to mind my language, but he was like, I'm paraphrasing, but he's like, Hey, if we're going to get screwed again next week, I'll make sure to bring the lube. So that that was a Rex text message that I've saved because it was one like like what do you say to that? Like, okay, coach, yeah, bring it.
Speaker 2: Calm down with Erin and Chrissa is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: The official title of Dean Glanbino, Fox College Football, Fox NFL Sunday Rules Expert. That's not the effect. Is that close enough?
Speaker 1: That it's close enough. Actually, I'm a master of ceremonies. On the on the A Crew Good New Kind of meetings, we did a whole whiteboard type breaking down all the scenarios, the week eighteen scenarios, and I'm happy to say that all of our predictions came true. Oh yes, eating, the seating, the matchups, everything except we didn't think we were going to get Green Bay Philly and we got Green Bay Philly. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Look at that is the gift that keeps on giving, and so is Dean Blandino. And with that, we welcome you to the Calm Down Podcast. Your inaugural appearance on the SAMED Calm Down Podcast.
Speaker 1: I mean everywhere we go there's Calm Down Podcast fans. Yes, we run into them. Just happened in Tampa, I mean literally just happened.
Speaker 3: So tell us the story of because again, Aaron and I would love to break our own arms patting ourselves on the back, but why don't you give us a little perspective of actually being out with you know, beatles, like kind of individuals like.
Speaker 1: It is Beatles, I mean, think of I try to think of the most. I mean, maybe it's like the boy band craze of the nineties. I mean it's like Backship and Sync ninety eight degrees all together in that if it's our bock. I mean we're sitting at the bar and these.
Speaker 2: We weren't sitting. We weren't sitting, we.
Speaker 1: Were we were kind of owned this one section of the bar, and Aaron was like, I mean it was great. She was on it when we walked in because we went to dinner. I got in late, met a group for dinner, and then we met Ea at the bar and she was already.
Speaker 2: Like, yes, Tampa brought it, and they don't.
Speaker 1: You don't have to ask me twice, So I'm like, let's go. And then it was just people watching. And then we had this group of girls that were big Calm Down fans taking pictures. Whoa there was, there were changing numbers, exchanging numbers. There was pop collar guy. We were giving people nicknames. There was Dave Canalis look alike guy. There was a lot. There was the guy that came up to Erin and he was a listener, but he said, you're not good at karaoke.
Speaker 2: You got, you got aggressive, you got I remediately.
Speaker 1: Got whoa whoa? Listen. If you got it, then you're gonna have to sing something. And we tried to get Jesse's girl played on the but the DJ wasn't having it.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I'm gonna put a pin in that for one second. For those of you that are new to the Calm Down Podcast, first of all, we welcome you, but also, Aaron, I'd like you to explain Dean as I mentioned the rules analysts and expert for Fox Sports for all things, but explain what he does when he goes on the road and how that all works with your crew, because sometimes he's in studio across from the the glass little partition that him and I share on Sundays. And then sometimes he's not so explain for people that don't know why Dean goes on the road, what it's all about.
Speaker 2: This is your first year with us, right.
Speaker 1: Dean, first year? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Wow, so memorable. And as I was getting ready to come on today, I was already like, Mike's gonna be so pissed when he finds out they pissed immediately. We love you, Mike, We love you so much. Mike Perera normally comes out with our crew and he is up there in the booth. He used to be with Joe and Troy now and then Greg and Kevin and now with Tom and Kevin and basically Dean, you are there for the exact reason that we saw yesterday during that drive that the Bucks had. There is problems like you know, if there's a question with a call, if you know, we want to get your opinion on the call, if you know what really should happen, I'll let you kind of elaborate more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's there. I'm there, and I can talk to our producer, Richie's Aiens directly. I can talk to Kevin, Burt Carter, Tom Brady directly, and it's just.
Speaker 2: You don't talk to New York though, right, I do not talk to New York now texting with New York.
Speaker 1: They can text me, Yeah, they'll text me different things. So if something comes up, I can get in their ear. I can give them okay, here's the relevant rule or what my opinion is. And then if it's big enough, they'll, you know, we'll go on the air. And like we did yes in the game in Tampa where they had a penalty enforcement, it was taking forever and Bray, Tom and Kevin were talking about their holiday plans while the officials were trying to figure it out. It was legitimately like four minutes. Ye, but it's like that kind of stuff that and then then when I'm in the studio, like Chrissa was saying, we're doing the other games. So you're only doing one game when you're on the road, and then you're doing the others when you're in.
Speaker 2: The studio and team because I'm not with you in studio, sorry, CT, how do you keep track of everything that's going on? So literally, Dean will come on in how many games do we have CHRISA going on at one time.
Speaker 3: Depends, Like yesterday there was four early games and three late games, so just depends.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, and so yeah, three or four and you're we have a big monitor wall and we're watching all the games. I have access to all the games. I can jump to anyone. I can talk to the producers in the truck and uh yeah, it's just and we have a couple of people in there that are monitoring things and pointing things out, and you just kind of bounce around. But I'm used to it. When I was at the League office, I mean we had we could have ten or eleven games going on, so so you're used to it.
Speaker 2: And that's what I want. I want to go back because I would love for It's fascinating to me. And this is where Fox is so innovative because they were the first ever broadcast network to bring an official into the broadcast. Because there's so many times that you know, the play by player analysts, you know, color commentator doesn't want to make assumptions about things. So to bring in an analyst, a rules analyst was so smart and now you see every network do it. So Fox being the first to do that give us a little background, Dean, and because I don't know all the details either, how did you get into the business, why did you want to get into the business, and how you are here present day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my path was different unique. I didn't have an officiating background. I didn't I didn't do it. I didn't have any interest in it. I just loved sports. I played sports my whole life. And I grew up in New York. I went to school in New York. The NFL has their offices in New York, and I just sent my resume. Wow, major League Baseball and NHL and NFL and NBA, and the NFL happened to call and they had a bunch of internships, and I was lucky enough to go interview a couple of different departments, and I interviewed in officiating and they liked me and they offered me the position. And I just went from there and.
Speaker 2: Just learned what wasn'tating.
Speaker 1: I was an officiating intern. I was doing everything anything, stats, video. I was picking up Mike Pereira, who was the head of officiating, not at that time, but his predecessor, Jerry Seaman. I was picking him up at the airport, you know, just whatever and anything you had to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so if you didn't love officiating, but you then became immersed in it with the internship and you were like, hey, maybe I could make this into a career.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I just started to really learn about it. And then really the big break for me, and I was so lucky and so blessed to be in the right place at the right time, was when instant replay came back to the NFL in nineteen ninety nine, and I was heavily involved in that process, both on the technical side and the software and hardware and all that, and then on the rules side, and that really it took off from there. So I was really lucky.
Speaker 2: Cool is So I was telling you before you got on Dean just Mike Tomlin and how excited he was to see you could have cared less about all of us. Just kidding, but I thought it was fascinating. Did you watch the clip I sent you?
Speaker 1: I did, I did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was so great. But he was just talking about how you guys had a fantastic relationship when he was young and starting out, and can you just tell us stories like that, like what happened when you finally you know, got to be involved and then got to have like one on one relationships with guys like Tomlin which are legendary and other guys your friends.
Speaker 1: With no doubt, and that was it was. I always felt like it was building those relationships. Always not officiating is not a positive thing. When a coach is calling you, he's not like, yeah, they did a great job. You know, you know, it's always bad. And I always thought I gotta have good relationships because then at least if we have a good relationship that listen, we can get to some common ground. And always built those relationships. Sometimes maybe I went a little too far with some of those relationships and was on a party bus at one point, but.
Speaker 2: Okay, the ones we want to hear about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I blamed Glazer for that one. But guys like Mike Tomlin, who was on the competition committee, I told this story. I don't know who I was telling the other day. But when I was up for the job the head of officiating, it was always like an unspeaking, unspoken rule that because I never officiated on the field, I couldn't get that job. And I was like, you know whatever, I'm going to go for it. And I interviewed, and I got pretty close to the end and they were going to decide between me and one other person. I remember being in Indianapolis at the Combine and everybody's you know, hanging out. We were at you know whatever Prime almost.
Speaker 2: I just remember Conrad.
Speaker 1: Exactly, and I remember Mike pulling me aside Mike Tomlin and like giving me this pep talk like you're the guy, you you have the most experience, you have the most and I just was like I was ready to go run through a wall after that, and he's exactly. I was like, give I actually after that, I was like, give me some more of that cocktail sauce. Let's go. And but yeah, he's awesome. He is awesome. Love that guy.
Speaker 2: That's great. But go ahead, ct No, no, no, you go. I was just gonna say, like, when you think about like your memories of doing it, I don't worry. We're going to get into Jared's hint tender page and all that crap in a minute. Yeah, but yeah, we'll get there. But just some of your favorite moments of the jo Oh my god.
Speaker 1: So many. There are so many coaches that I really there isn't a coach and people ask me who was the biggest pain in the ass, and they were always they're just there. They're head coaches. There's so much on the line for them. It's emotional. So I would always get it. I mean, I remember Tom Coughlin like letting me have it. They lost a game to the Patriots. It was a regular season game. There was a big hold that we missed on the field, and he called me after the game and let me have it for like twenty minutes straight. And his assistant texted me like, hey, don't take it personally. I get this like three times a week. So guys like that. And then you have like Ron Rivera's who's one of my favorites, who I remember meeting his wife for the first time and she's like, you know, you're higher than me on the favorites list in his phone, like you just so it's like those guys, and I did. I told the story about Rex Ryan to the guys on the crew because you know, now he's interviewing for the Jets job. And I said, you know when when the first time he was with the Jets, he he it was a week one game and we had like twenty penalties on the Jets and they lost and some of them, some of them weren't great calls. And he texted me after the game, and I just want to mind my language, but he was like I'm PARAPHRASINGBO. He's like, Hey, if we're going to get screwed again next week, I'll make sure to bring the loop. So that that was a Rex text message that I've saved because it was one like like, what do you say to that, Like, okay, coach, yeah, bring it.
Speaker 2: I wish I did the like button thumbs out, okay, got fireworks.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You don't have to have such a good personality and sense of humor to take just the berating every single but that's actually a really good mindset to have. Like jobs are on the line, you know, lives are. It's just where you maybe you know, raise your kids because you could get fired and things like that. Hardest part of the gig that people don't understand.
Speaker 1: Hardest part I just I just think there's such a disconnect. There's a disconnect between how the game's officiated on the field, Like those officials get one look at it at full speed from their one angle, and then how do we get to judge them? Six different slow motion replays and super and so we sit there and we go, how did they miss that? We'll go out and you've both like you've done it more than most You've been on the sideline of NFL games. How fast is it? How how much taking place? And there's only seven officials for twenty two players. And I think that's the disconnect sometimes with officiating. And yeah, sometimes they screw it up and they've got to be better, But I just think sometimes it's an unreasonable standard that we that we kind of hold them to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Aaron and I always talk about pinch me moments right in our career. Are things that we've done or people that we've met, or you know, standing on the sideline of the David Tyree catch on the Hilmet and you're like watching Randy Moss walk off the field before the game's even over because he knows it's done. It's just like these moments where you grow up as sports fans, you obviously yourself and played sports and having a front row seat to all of these things, what's been You have a myriad of them. I'm sure a real pinch me moment where you're like, this is fucking cool.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I remember.
Speaker 2: Ray in Tampa last night that too.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that was that? What a great find if you're in well that terminal? What is that a terminal? A Tampa Tampa International? Pay a May that is way May Pay May Pay Way. It is away hidden gem in the back kid in gem.
Speaker 2: What are you hold the lighter up for? Over there?
Speaker 1: We are?
Speaker 2: Oh, but pinch me moment.
Speaker 1: I mean, I do funny story about the David Tyree catch. I was in the replay booth for that. And you know you're in, you're working, You're in the replay booth. It's Patriots Giants, Patriots trying to be the greatest team ever. And I know and my mom, who's the most unintentionally funny person on the planet, like she knows I'm working, don't call me during the game unless it's an emergency. So that play happens. We're actually reviewing it and I see my phone. I have it on the counter and it's my mom and I'm like what And I don't answer it, and then she calls back and I'm like, oh no, what what is going on? So we review the play and she calls a time and I finally pick up. I'm like, Mom, it's the Super Bowl. What's going on? She goes, did you see that catch? All right, Mom, I'll talk to you after the game. Bye. It was amazing, amazing, Yeah, unbelieved, so good, so many Kinchby moments. We're so lucky. We really are.
Speaker 2: We are lucky, and we are so lucky for the friendships and the families that we create on the road. Because as much as we complained, like whatever, we stay in great hotels. Last night we got off a flight, Chrissy, you know it five and a half hours from Tampa. I mean, we are still carrying the sweat and the crap that we had when we were on the field at eleven am. It's a long ass flight. You're on the tarmac, everyone's coffin snort and they're snot and we just got off the plane. We're like, fuck, that was long. But we still were laughing because it's Kevin me Dean to get each other so much, and we're.
Speaker 1: Back each other. Yeah, we're like, and we couldn't. We didn't. We weren't sitting together, but we were texting each other. And then we land and the pilot who was the pilot, that guy was when we because it was our flight was delayed, and he's like, I know, our flight's delayed, but we got this baby filled up with gas and to the metal. And I was like, this guy is definitely not a nibbler.
Speaker 2: Not a nibbler.
Speaker 1: He is not he is he is not. And but yeah, on the tarmac and there was a delay, we didn't have a gate and all this stuff, and and KB was like, get me off this plane, like yeah, oh my god.
Speaker 2: And the friendships of the cruise and stuff, which is the best part, and like, yeah, like the other night we got on this before you got on and our producer and Crisic, so how did this come about? It go Tampa brought it. We were lit and Dean was like, I want to be on calm down, and I was like, let's freaking.
Speaker 1: Go, let's go, let's go.
Speaker 2: So we go ahead.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I just say we were on one and it was so much fun. But I cannot I cannot emphasize enough. This has been my most fun season by far. And I love this duty with us, and I love the studio and Christinos. Everybody in the studio is awesome. We have a lot of fun. But being able to do both. This year was so much fun.
Speaker 2: That's what. So people always ask me, oh, what do you like better?
Speaker 3: Do you like being in studio or being on the road, And my answer is always like, thank God, I'm lucky enough to do both, because there's benefits of the studio. You get in your car, you drive up the ten or whatever, the four or five, you go to work, you're not on a plane, you get back home.
Speaker 2: Cool being on the road, the stories that come from the road, the Shenanigans, all that stuff. So like having the hybrid of both like is the best case scenario. Which gets me to Jared Klein, who used to be my researcher, jaredy Cline.
Speaker 1: I love that we're just by name now Jared's ou We're not we're talking about Jared look kind of taking him under my wing.
Speaker 2: He has Jared taking him under my wing.
Speaker 3: If you want to be a big boy and be parading around the stadiums, whatever, you also have to recognize that part of the locker room is giving each other shit. So sure Line used to be my researcher, sitting next to me for down and distance, different things that I would need for a highlight.
Speaker 2: Got it. This is the fourth touchdown of the day.
Speaker 3: This is you know, Aaron Rodgers spotfit whatever, whatever pertinent information I need for a highlight.
Speaker 2: Jared did that.
Speaker 3: Well, Jarrett's very good at his job. So you guys stole him and now he's on the road with you guys. Okay, no problem, but Jarrett. My long history with Jarrett is he's been looking for a lady for a while. Okay, He's always talking about how he can't find the right one. So, unbeknownst to me, Aaron is choosing to keep him anonymous. And again I don't know that she's talking about Jarrett. Last week when it.
Speaker 2: Whatever hinge profiles brought.
Speaker 3: Up and she's like, there's this guy hinge Da da da, And as she's talking, I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, I fucking know who this guy is.
Speaker 3: I was like, it's Jared Cline. I was like, let's just call okay the dog picture the shirtless one. For those of you that didn't listen to last week's episode, again, we'll fill you in. We have a thing about hinge profiles or any profile when dating. Just take your sunglasses off, don't be shirtless in a pooled, don't be a douchebag with your arm around an athlete.
Speaker 2: Just be normal. Okay, Dean was playing photographer at our game.
Speaker 1: This was taking pictures of him before the game or his hinge profile because we're doing a total overhaul, Like I don't need stop with the because again, these are not these are not organic.
Speaker 3: Shots, yes exactly. So I'm just filling in the blanks for anyone that's not familiar with what happened. So that's Jerrick Kleine. We all love him. We want to see him with a woman. He's actually gotten some inquiry. But now, Dean, take us where are we at currently with Jerick Leine? In the profile and the up.
Speaker 1: This was, I mean it came out of the blue. We were at dinner, I think in Green Bay, and he just talked about TMI. He just went all in on his dating life and this one young lady that he was dating and they you know, it was like the fifth date and he thought things were going really well.
Speaker 2: But oh god, she's listening to the podcast right now breaking down Tom's seven Super Bowl ring and then this side of the table is fucking roaring and I'm like, wait, great on the goat over here, what's going on exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we had Tom on one side and we're talking about football and we're talking about, hey, what about between two thousand and seven, what did Belichick do? And then on this side we've got Jared talking about this girl that he's dating and how they both they both really like the butter cream cake from Ralph's and he got her the cake and it was like two very different conversations. And I'm not gonna lie, the butter cream conversation was more interesting to me. Yeah, and he just you know, and then things didn't work out with that young lady. And now we're just back on the horse and we're just trying to get you know, we got to give in a file together. We got us, you know, get some good pictures we got We even went and went through like sayings for his his his pictures, and so we're hoping, we're hoping that we can find love, we can find.
Speaker 2: Jason because I'm not done with this, because I'm all in on this as well. So Aaron and I talked about how we don't like the you're in the pool, the shirt list whatever, or you're next to a dog. You don't even have a dog. Somebody else's yeah, so what what are your like the guys you know perspective on another, like what what are your good advice to him?
Speaker 1: For me? And I'm I've been my own experience, like my original before I got married. Before it wasn't dating apps like you, you had to risk something so I have to go up to you in a bar or wherever it is. And now it's just like so I don't like all that, but I realize that that's how today is and that's how people meet each other. And I just think it's just like be yourself, Like you know, I get it. There's there's there's physical attraction and you have to put your best foot forward because that's what people are going to see. But you don't need to try that hard. Like we don't need to have the glamor shots and the and the you know, the wait, the shirtless shots. I mean, even if you look like you know whoever, you don't need the shirtless shot.
Speaker 2: It's not you know, it's so great, you know, it's so great about your Dean.
Speaker 3: So if you don't know Dean, you're just like, oh, it seems like you know, so like oserved and like.
Speaker 2: Not yeah, button up like whatever.
Speaker 3: When you get to know Dean, You're like, this guy is fucking awesome.
Speaker 1: Thank you. I appreciate it. I don't. I don't open up very quickly, and I like to observe and I like to just once once we're in, then it's like, okay, no holds.
Speaker 2: Bar, wheels off, let's go.
Speaker 1: In the bar in Tampa. Getting lippy and we got to move to the next bar.
Speaker 2: Oh god, I caught myself. I look, I said, I'm getting lippy.
Speaker 1: We need to get out.
Speaker 2: I caught myself when.
Speaker 1: People were walking by us and she's like pointing it like this guy. I'm like, oh boy boy, here we go.
Speaker 2: The only time I got upset was we had an area, We had an area, we had been there for a while, and then like, you know, I like to watch what's going on. And there are some younger women, you know, trying to get close to the Dave Canalis look alike or the Paul mal Moro look alike that we had at the bar, and so I liked watching their moves. And their moves were come lean up against the chair that had my coat and my purse on it. Casey and Dean were sitting by then we're one cheek on. Then we're one cheek on with our cocktail laughing. Now mid laugh, we're two cheeks on and we're sitting on my coat and my purse.
Speaker 1: Lippy.
Speaker 2: Carissa, after you've had a few, what are you doing? Oh hey, hey, let me move this for you, because you're asking. I already know what this is.
Speaker 3: The problem is that we, by the way, we need a rules analyst between you and I when we go out Giallo.
Speaker 2: And besides encroachment, we also had a very fun dinner at a place that gronk I guess hat the money in which I yeah, it was phenomenal.
Speaker 1: Let's give a shout out to Broke a great food. But we have this fun little you know, we're twelve of us and so.
Speaker 2: You can't give out names.
Speaker 1: Who can't give out, won't give it, can no, we won't give out names.
Speaker 2: But I'm looking at people differently now in one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: So the fun game was if you could be a person, any person for the day, who would you be and why? So like that's fun. We're all drinking, like read the room people, but somebody did you? I loved you? I said you hefner great because I'm a degenerate, but anyway, so so. But some of the answers were, well, one, well, we can call out Jared because this is this is kind of harmless.
Speaker 2: Jared, it's getting so much play right your hair?
Speaker 1: You say, you saying both?
Speaker 2: What a loser? But I was like, by.
Speaker 1: Like you say both on a regular Tuesday, Like what are you getting out? Like maybe during the Olympics. But he was like, it was so cool to be the fastest man in the world. And I'm like, yeah, but like you've got to like, yes, if you're in a race, but what does you saying both get you on a Thursday at three o'clock at the supermarket, Like you're he and I are on the same footing in that in that mode. But there was some very disturbing answers.
Speaker 2: Like I cannot look at some people this.
Speaker 1: There was one that said that I would be a young child because I could see the world the wonder of the world again. And my response really can't be repeated, but I yelled and it was not complimentary of what that of what that was. And then another a guy on her crew, said his wife and I thought, I immediately looked at Kevin at KB I was like, oh, that's a badass answer because his wife is so lucky to be married to him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what you're thinking.
Speaker 1: That's what we all thought. That's what we all thought. But then he explained that no, so then I can understand her feelings and where she's coming from, and I can understand her. But which which if it was just heated, if it was me and him at the bar, like talking about life and feelings, great, great answer. This was not the it was not the room. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: I also showed up at this stadium and I love this guy, but I'm judging back now.
Speaker 1: Love him, love him back, love him.
Speaker 2: But I'm judging him now. And when I got to the stadium, he goes, ea, I'm doubling down on what I said. I was like, you can't, you cannot.
Speaker 1: It was it was there was some answers. Another guy in our crew, and this one's harmless Nelly. He wanted to be president for the United States. But she had given this some thought because he went through some of his policies and some like real like thoughtful went into it, like with tax reform and all these things. It was imperform was really impressive, and my stupid ass is like you.
Speaker 2: Have to and it was just and Jillian goes Dolly Park.
Speaker 3: It's fine, Yes, yeah, it was. That's a reallyef That is a very fun game. Another one that I've done before is like what animal would you be? And you really discover like people like I want to be a laboratory. You're like, okay, you like relax, you know, like I.
Speaker 2: Want to be the lion of the jungle. Okay, So turning it back real quickly to the NFL for a second, because we'd be remissed since we have you on it is week eighteens over the playoff schedule set you alluded to at the beginning of this. You had all the scenarios, so you had the whole bracket, right, I mean, walk.
Speaker 1: Me through the NFC because we knew that we'd have an NFC game, So we did the NFC. Okay, did the NFC.
Speaker 3: So then we'll go over to the AFC for a second. Can you have an opinion on who you think is? I'm probably not you can't, right, I love this, Okay, great? Who do you like?
Speaker 1: Who I like? See, well, it's really hard to go against the Chiefs. It's really hard to go against Mahomes, They're just it's it's just they find a way and look at you look at last year and they weren't playing very well in the middle of the middle of the way, and then they just turned it on and they go and win another Super Bowl. Now they're they're fifteen and one. They've got to buy It's really hard to bet against them. In my heart, I know the matchup I want to see as a football fan, and that's Bill's Lions. I just think that two fan bases that have never won a Super Bowl, that are two of probably the greatest fan bases. I would love to see that. I don't know, it's just tough to bet against the Chiefs in the AFC. I think it's crazy, you know, it's just really I think the Bills and maybe the Ravens could could could give them a run for their money. I'm just not sure. I just hate to go against Mahomes and Andy I love. It's just tough.
Speaker 2: Is there a thought process out there, you guys that if a team in the AFC were to beat the Chiefs and go on to the Super Bowl, they would be the ones to win the Super Bowl because you already just beat the hardest you know out out there. You know what I'm saying, Like, that's the super Bowl, the AFC Championship against the Chiefs. But if like they win it, it's like, how could you stop the Omnum?
Speaker 1: Of course you.
Speaker 2: Could, but I would say too, I love the you know, of course we all love Josh Allen. We love the Bill's mafia. Like it's so easy to root for them, like you mentioned their fan base. Yeah, I'm gonna say this right now.
Speaker 3: Though again we know him because you know, I had pledge we worked with him at Fox Sean Payton watch out though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just that defense.
Speaker 3: And you've got a guy like bo Nix who doesn't know I mean, he just has this unbridled confidence where it's like, I don't know. I just think that that could be a potential upset, even going into Buffalo and sure, you know the Uels are supposed.
Speaker 2: To win, and you know the Broncos just got it. I just I'm really curious to see how that one plays out. It's what we saw last year, the wild card, you know, Dallas Green beads, Like you could just feel how tight Dallas was. You could sense they're supposed to have was like the guy that was just like I'm gonna sling it.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's like any given Sunday, and yeah, you know we could sit here and predict, but who knows. But yeah, Denver, I mean there were all any somebody has a bad day injuries.
Speaker 2: Even what we saw last night with the Lions.
Speaker 3: Everyone's like, oh, you got fourteen guys on the defensive side of the ball that are on ir like whatever, and they showed up last night against the Vikings.
Speaker 2: So yeah, this is why we love the NFL. What's your favorite thing about the league?
Speaker 1: I love that favorite thing about the league. I just think because I do. I think it brings people together. It really does, like I think because it's unlike any other sport, and I love you know, I grew up playing like baseball and hockey were my two sports, Like like I always love football too, but but that's like, you know, there's more games. There's there's three or four games a week. Baseball it's like five or six games a week, where football is like it's appointments viewing. It's Sunday, we're all going to get together. I know now we do Thursday and Monday and Saturday, but it's really still like, I just think it brings people together, because if we were on the road doing four or five games a week, like I mean, there's some people on the crew I might not like as much. You know, it's it's me, Hi.
Speaker 2: I'm the problem.
Speaker 1: I just love that. I love that, and I know it sounds corny, but they it is. It really does bring people together, and it's been it's I think it's that's why it's the most popular sport by a long shot in this country.
Speaker 2: How freaking fun is it still, Dean? Even though you and Kevin and I are so awkward because everybody just wants to talk to Brady and see Brady, So the three of us go off on our own and do our own thing. But how fun is that still? To be on a field like we're on a freaking football field for pre game like this is insane.
Speaker 1: It's wild and that people, And that's that's like you talk about pinch me or just or just never forgetting that that you don't take it for granted because how many people, how many millions and millions of people would give anything just to be on a field pre game, right, and we get to do it all the time, and that's where for me, it's like, don't ever take that for granted. You never know when it can be taken away. And it's just so cool. And and this year with Tom has been great because you really see I mean he is a rock star, right and and and you see the passion you see and it's it's it's been a lot of fun. And yeah, we kind of stand back. I like joke, I'm an extra security guy. I just kind of stand back and and make sure we monitor who's who's talking to Tom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you gave me the coach star or what's that I said? You Dean gave us some of the coaches stories about like the voicemails, the Rex, right, but I need a Tom Brady story that now is funny because you work with him.
Speaker 1: Oh good, Oh okay, I'll give you the Tom Brady story. So Tom, like Tom is for like he's he really is awesome and he's down to earth and he just he's such a he's like wants to be a good teammate. He really does. And I'm not blowing smoke, like he is just really like wants to learn, wants to and he just like comes to dinner, does everything that we do other than like three am at the bar, which I understand, I understand, but.
Speaker 2: His skin looks like that because he doesn't do three He doesn't.
Speaker 1: Do right exactly. So but so all year I'm kind of joking with him, like I'm just I want to get you to get a drink at dinner, Like I feel like a degenerate like me, Chris and KB, Like it's like cocktail and wine, Like what are we doing? You know, I'm like dugit and tonics and then KB then you get the wine, and so it's like, oh, you're trying to get him in. Finally, we were in Philly a couple of weeks ago. We went to this like tiny, awesome Italian restaurant named Aroma, and and it's like this family place and it's and we didn't have a private room and we're out amongst everybody, and finally we get him and it was a lemon Cello shot. So we're not talking about you know, we're not talking about it was Lemonell, but hey, baby steps and and finally we got shots and he did it like he did the shot, and I was a little annoyed that he did it without cheering anybody.
Speaker 2: He didn't tell any of us.
Speaker 1: It was like he didn't wait wait, I was like, what, I wanted to do the shot with you?
Speaker 2: But he cheers him he did. I just cheers the goat.
Speaker 1: He did. He did, so we finally got him to do a shot, So that was fun. That was fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's, like you said, he walking on the field you kind of forget, which sounds so lame, being in meeting rooms with him, just talking ball with him, talking scenarios, gossiping with him, stuff like that. He's the goat, and then you go out on the field with him pregame and you're like, oh, yeah, okay, now I got it. Yeah, But he's been great.
Speaker 1: He's great, and I love listening to him talk about football Hall and it's it's been a lot of fun. It's really been a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Any Dean a piece of advice because keV has graced us with his presence on this podcast as well, and he took my favorite word, circuitous route to become a broadcaster. He was a car salesman.
Speaker 3: You mentioned you started as an intern, So what advice do you have for people that want to get into the business and just think like, oh, I have to do this, this, this, and this, but it doesn't always you know, you don't have to. There's a done a ton of different ways you can arrive at the same.
Speaker 1: There really is. And like I think everybody that we work with, nobody, there's no cookie cutter, there's no blueprint. We've all done it differently. And I think it's about relationships. I think it's about networking. I remember we were There was the young lady that came up to you aarin before the game who worked for Tampa PR and she was asking EA about advice, and I thought your advice was so good in terms of go reach out to the local television stations, the radio stations, connect with those people. And I think that's it. It's about those relationships. Because for me, and I didn't tell this earlier, but the only reason I found this out later, the only reason I even got a phone call from the NFL because I went to Hofstra University in New York. Go Wayne Quebet, Marcus Colston football NFL factory by the way, and so I went to Hofstra and the girl who was working in human resources also went to Hofstra, didn't know me, but put my resume on top because we went to the same school, and it's just like those relationships and meeting people and networking. You just don't know. You don't know because there's no one path and there's no there's no easy way either. You got to put in the work. So I love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I was coming back to HR one way or another, Folks, doesn't it God damn, oh my god, HR your old representative years. You know what that means? Hey, wait, Handan, you know this story, do I? I worked at HR in Fox. That was my first job. Shut up, yes, because I wanted to become a sports broadcaster and the only job they had to fail it was the assistant and so then yeah, and I went through it.
Speaker 1: You are so cut out for HR. Let me tell you, it's amazing, so especially so comfortable coming to you with my issues and yeah, it's great.
Speaker 2: Wait, I have to ask you this question. If you could change one.
Speaker 1: Rule, what would it be? Yeah? One?
Speaker 2: Or get rid of one rule?
Speaker 1: One? I do think we've talked about it a lot this year, and I know Tom it's like a pet peeve for him, like the quarterbacks with the late slides, and it does it put like we had to play yesterday yesterday with Baker and he slid late and he got hit and everybody jumps up and it's like, oh my god, you hit the quarterback. And so I do think that that that late slide that has to be something that And I'm not sure what the answer is because the defenders are in such a tough spot, Like here's mage're trying to tackle Josh Allen and you're getting ready to hit him and all of a sudden he slides at the last second and it's right at the line in the game, guys. But I think that's that's something to look at because I do think the onus has to be on the player, the quarterback to slide early, and sometimes they don't, and it does put the defense in a tough spot.
Speaker 2: Can I add this, what would you like to see? Would there be a role you would add?
Speaker 1: You know, I do think we're gonna I do think we're going to expand instant replay, and I do I think ultimately that's a good thing when we do have the video. Because we talked about earlier, officials get one look at it full speed and they may miss it, and so if we can have an opportunity to correct them, it's got to be game changing. You don't want to reofficiate the game through replay, it would you know, think about four and a half minutes yesterday, we're all sitting there waiting. So I think there is an opportunity to use technology to help get get the plays right because there is so much riding on these games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was wondering if you could explain to everybody what the hell you're doing on camera behind Kevin and Tom. There was a little meme about that. Yeah, it did go viral. Well, I feel like you should tell everyone the game was created of the different poses Dean will do it is. Yeah, so it's a weird like some of the booths.
Speaker 1: They've got this I don't know what they call the camera, but it kind of shoots. It's not the head on shot that when when KB and Tom will be on camera talking to the audience. It's kind of like an angle. And so when they shoot that shot, I'm in the corner and it just kind of looks weird, like I'm.
Speaker 2: Just like standing there, insane.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so Art and so Rich Russo who who He'll He'll be like, hey, Dean, you're in the shot, and I'm like, I don't want to just stand there. Looks weird. It looks like I'm just like, hey, who's got like weird owner? And so I just started doing like different hand gestures and I told them I'm like, kyb, I'm going to do the I'm gonna do like the double point. And he's like, please don't do it. I'm like, I'm doing it. And then they came on and I did the double point and he couldn't get through his next, you know, his next couple of comments. So yeah, so we're kind of like and I've got I've got pretty much like a bunch more that we can do. So maybe we'll just you know, do that every every week. Although I'm not going to be with you guys in the playoffs. I don't love this.
Speaker 2: No offense to Mike Prearra. I think we we have dual sideline. We should have dual rules.
Speaker 3: Double double your pleasure double.
Speaker 2: I'm going to I'm going to give a shout out to this. And we talked a lot about this at Payway and when you called me Cursa, I these officials get a lot of ship. You know, as Dean said, you have to have fixed skin, a sense of humor. There was a moment yesterday where tired Matthew was messed up. He was trying to he was trying to get the con webs out. He was trying and Clinton, my security and I are watching this and we're like, holy shit, he is like feeling it. They did another play. He's still trying to shake his head, thank god. And I almost turned into a mom Actually question, could I have told the official, hey, check on him? I probably would have gotten in trouble.
Speaker 1: No, I think you could have. You could have. There's nothing we and we and we have said that. This goes back when I was still at the League office and we wanted the officials. If you recognize a guy who's struggling, who gets up and you know, loses their bouth there, clearly they've gotten something, some something's going on, potential headneck injury. You get him out, don't don't just get him out of the game. And we also have the you know, the spot or upstairs that you do that. So I remember you saying that, which was awesome because you want that player to because because these guys are such competitors, don't want Yeah, and sometimes.
Speaker 2: So this official took the guy and let him over to the sideline to the Saints. It's not a guy, it's Tyron Matthew led him over there, like go get help. And I was telling Dean, I was like I all game, I wanted to get his attention and be like thank you for doing that because we know Tyron Matthew like he's not going to come out and it was kind of a scary moment. But I had actually thought of asking you that, Dean, Like I wonder if I could have said in a time out, go check on him. Now that probably would have pissed off the team if they wanted him out there, but he needed some assistance.
Speaker 1: Sure, No, there's no doubt he did. And I think that's that's the official's job and that in that moment to get that player, it doesn't matter who it is, get that player out of the game to get checked, because that's that's the player safety. That's so important.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's so many fascinating I know it is. It's been so interesting, well because you know, we're lucky enough with our jobs to have the curtain pulled back and you get to see all of these different facets, Like people didn't know what a Steve didn't know what a spotter was. He's like, wait, who's the guy in the booth with al what's a spot Like? Yeah, so it's really cool.
Speaker 3: So Dean, thank you for shedding some light on an incredible part of the game and, by the way, an unenviable part of the game because you're like the manager of the restaurant that everyone's going to bitch to you at their table. So you have to have a temperament like you have to customer service.
Speaker 1: You're the gate agent.
Speaker 2: How do they get your phone number? Or all the coaches intertiable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you'd give I'd give them my phone number and they text and call. And Sean Payton we mentioned Sean Eli boy, Sean he would call and Sean was the one guy and I love him to death. Most coaches I could get to some common ground if Sean is like the sky is green right now, and I'm like, coach, no, it's blue, and he's like, no, it's green, and you're not going to convince me otherwise, And I'm like, all right, coach, I'll talk to you tomorrow.
Speaker 2: And he can keep you on for a while.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, he's the best. They're They're all and like we like we said, they're under so much pressure, all right, and today like you get I mean, you see the coaches getting fired.
Speaker 2: It's sucks idea who will get some of these jobs? I know your friends with a lot of guys. You want to break some news here, Jay Glazer, No.
Speaker 1: I leave that up to Jay. You know, Jay, he's the guy. He is the guy that that that that does those those scoops. And but there's a lot of you look at all the candidates, and we were talking about it. You have these You have a guy like Ben Johnson, who is an incredible play caller, who's been incredible for the Lions. Can he be a head coach? Right? Because it's a different it's a different skill set. It's you've got to now be like I always think of Mike Tomlin. You know, he's a leader of men, he's a man, he manages everything. And the guys that can and I think Ben Johnson could do it, but we just don't know, right. So you have these guys that I think we'll get opportunities and and and we'll see.
Speaker 2: Well you see it. You see the Shane Steichens that go from an offensive coordinator position to a head coach and then all of a sudden that you get or the Brian flores Is of the world that went and became a head coach, and it was like, hey, you're better served actually just maybe staying in your specialty, because I feel like it's got to be one of those things you get further further removed from your your specific specialty because you're trying to manage everything. Now, some guys obviously do it seamlessly, and you've seen, you know, a lot of examples of that. But yeah, very think such a cool job, but a lot of pressure and not a can handle it like yours. Dean, you're the best.
Speaker 1: Well, I appreciate you guys having me on.
Speaker 2: We have to be careful.
Speaker 1: We love Mike, We love Mike, but I do feel like I'm probably I bring a little bit more to the table in terms of the late night stuff than Mike, but sure, but on the officiating stuff, Mike is the goat. He is, he was the first one to do it. Love Mike to death. I've worked with him forever and there was a time and I've we can tell stories offline, but there was a time when Mike used to get after it too.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh yeah, last year, No, two years ago. Hey, what's one thing about traveling with announcing crew that people maybe would have no idea about, Like, what's something pull back the curtain on that?
Speaker 1: Just the logistics Our cu is so good. Everybody on that crew like I've never and it makes me uncomfortable a little bit, like I like I never had. It's like people are picking you up, and people are they're they're doing, and it's like everything is buttoned up and you and I never have a question about you know, my flight or or being picked up from the airport or being like I always get that information. Hey, so and so is going to pick you up at this time, here's the number, here's the information, and it's like all those logistics, Matt Gail is incredible, the jack all those guys. Shout out to all those guys, because there is so much that goes into it and just getting getting into the stadium, right, when are we going to leave, how are we going to get how we getting out of the stadium, all those logistics, and that's just a little part of what goes into putting on a football game, and there's so many other moving parts.
Speaker 2: You're a goddamn.
Speaker 1: Today. Yep, five and a half hour. So yeah, little jet lag, but we'll we'll get through it.
Speaker 2: We'll power through.
Speaker 3: So Dean, as you know, since you are a loyal Calm Down listener, okay, longtime listener, first time caller. There's a bunch of different stories that Aaron and I have, whether it's you know about Mac, whether it's about Steve, whether it's about Jarrett, whatever it is. So most recently going to Chicago for my Thursday night game, there was I let Steve have the full ruins of the travel. It got all screwed up, ended up at different airports. The bag is the whole thing, Okay, but I had given him full authority to take control. He said he got it and he screwed it up. I need your take, and this is going to be an official A Rules segment with Steve off sides or not or hold a mess up with the travel.
Speaker 1: He definitely offsides, definitely offside. You know it was, But I feel for him because I've done I had a similar experience when I went to see you two at the Sphere with this girl I was dating and all excited. We're in Vegas. It's great we're gonna go. We show up at the Sphere and the girl looks at my phone and she goes, these tickets are for tomorrow night.
Speaker 2: And there you're walking.
Speaker 1: In there there at the at the door and we're leaving the next day. So we're not even and it was my I never Thankfully, luckily story ends well. Our Fox crew was doing the Raiders game. A group from that crew was it was eb Eric Billinger's crew. They were going to the Sphere. We were all supposed to meet up. I texted him like, hey, got a problem, can you help out? And they got us into a suite and it actually worked out. It actually worked out. But I have that feeling that it was such a sinking feeling. So I can only imagine how Steve felt when that was, you know, the wrong airport.
Speaker 2: That's an incredible start. No oh oh, good follow up, good follow up. Here's the problem Steve, because he lives on you know, in La La Land. In the best way possible, everything can be made into a positive. He's like, look, I got to meet the baggage claim attended at O'Hare, so he'll find a silver lining and anything. Okay, now here's another situation. Off sides or not on red receipts. So Vince Spawn said that he was going to come on the podcast. This was year one, We're in year three.
Speaker 3: Kept saying he's going to come on whatever, which we were so excited for. So I kept texting him like, hey, can you come on this week? Would show that he read it, but then never responded, never reigned. Finally, now I'm ticked. I screenshot the messages and I think I'm sending them to Aaron, but I send them back to Vince Spawn and I'm like, this fucking guy right.
Speaker 2: Her chest so bad when you see that you committed that bad.
Speaker 1: That is yes, definitely off sides, and I've done that, and that's what I person. And you're the sinking, feeling burning.
Speaker 2: Tell me what yours was. Tell me what your off side was.
Speaker 1: So it was it was somebody not to name names. It was somebody from the league office who texted me something so ridiculous about a play, and I screenshotted it and I was going to send it to my friend who works for the team, and it was similar, like you look at this bullshit, And I sent it to the person who sent it to me, and it was like, and you're just waiting, And then I'm frantically like, is there can I delete this? Can I get it? And then they did respond like what do you mean? And I was just like, oh, you know your response was so ridiculous. I wanted you to read it again. I like that. I like that. Yeah, good, so it was. I get it. But definitely off sides, no doubt, no doubt.
Speaker 2: Aaron, you have to have one for him offsides or not? Is it a Jarrett Snoring story? What is it? Give me something for him? I'm trying to think Dean hears about it all weekend.
Speaker 1: I know I do hear about it. I do want to hang out. I want to hang out with Jared. I want to hang out with Steve. I think we all need to go out.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, we would have a tough triangle with these three. We wouldn't even see him. We would lose Dean as a friend.
Speaker 1: I know I would. I'm not gonna lie. I would probably ditch you too, and just it would be the three. It will be the three of us.
Speaker 2: But that's what happens. Super Bowl. It's gonna happen.
Speaker 1: It's super perfect super Bowl.
Speaker 2: It is Hey, do we need to help you with any of your d ms or are you good? Oh, here's I'm good right now.
Speaker 1: I'm good right now. Like I want to get through the season. I'm just focusing on the kids being a better co parent. But then once the season ends, we'll see, we'll see. We'll nibble later.
Speaker 2: Okay, I will never nibble. I don't want to.
Speaker 1: We'll gobble, well, yeah, gobble.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is taking a turn.
Speaker 1: Yes, and anybody out there, any any single young ladies that want to slide into Jared Klein's DMS, go for it.
Speaker 2: So SA go for it.
Speaker 1: Slide Google Dolls. That's our song, by the.
Speaker 2: Way, got in yesterday.
Speaker 1: What a good song.
Speaker 2: That should be your karaoke song. We played it in Philly a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it wasn't quite a karaoke session. It was more of us just dancing and screaming and I just something else. In the meeting room. I had three chairs lined up and I was dancing on the chairs, like walking from one chair.
Speaker 2: It was yeah, is there footage of that? Yeah, get under the undisputable video evidence.
Speaker 1: Me enough and Jason Thorne and other great guys. All through we reenacted the dirty dancing. We reenacted Patrick Swayze and Jennifer and I was Jennifer Gray and he was Patrick Swayzee and so I jumped into his arms, his strong and capable arms. It was amazing.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. All right, we'll land this plane. But I have to end it with your karaoke song is.
Speaker 1: My karaoke song, And I'm not gonna lie. I'm actually pretty incredible in karaoke. And if you hear me do with or without you by you two, you might actually not like the YouTube version anymore.
Speaker 2: Wow, there is a cheat. And I'm not even I'm not even going to have you do it here because I need to see this in person or at the Super Bowl Championship game. We'll do it, and we will take a video of that and we will play it right here because that is worth the wait. And here here she goes. Do you You're the Best? Calm Down with Erin and Carissa is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts