Speaker 1: Hey, folks, it's Lyle. Before we get into the episode, I wanted to talk to you guys about a new thing I'm doing where you can help support my lizard endeavors by becoming a Premium member of this podcast over at Therapy Gecko dot supercast dot com. Premium members, or gek Legends, as I call them, we'll be able to get every new and existing episode of Therapy Gecko completely ad free. They'll also get a bonus podcast episode once a month, a bonus live show episode once a month from all of the live shows I've been doing around the world, a member's only live stream once a month. Plus you'll also support my ability to continue, hopefully doing this podcast for a long time, doing it around the world, and also supporting my ability to occasionally go eat a slice of pizza. Go to Therapy Gecko dot supercast dot com or find the link in the episode description to become a gek Legend today. All right, let's get into the episode.
Speaker 2: M Paul from Bailey, Hello, Hello.
Speaker 1: Are you can you turn off the TV? Are you on the Oh?
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm sorry, dad, where's the remote? I was my dad in the truck right now? Just a second.
Speaker 3: You're with your dad.
Speaker 1: Wait, you're with your dad in a truck where there's a TV.
Speaker 2: We're in a semi truck. He's a truck driver.
Speaker 1: That's cool. Yeah, what uh wait you're wait what so there's a TV in the semi truck.
Speaker 2: Yeah. He he has like one of the big semi trucks. He has a shower and like everything.
Speaker 1: Wait, there's a shower in the semi This is like an r V.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's kind of like an RV.
Speaker 1: Again, that's cool, man. What what?
Speaker 3: Where?
Speaker 1: What are you guys doing.
Speaker 2: Where in Texas right now? And we're in Amarillo, Texas and we're broke down?
Speaker 1: Do you do you work with your dad?
Speaker 2: No? No, I'm just traveling with him.
Speaker 1: That's cool. What do you where?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 1: What are you Where are you guys traveling to?
Speaker 2: Well, we're supposed to be going to California, but he's going to get a trust fixed tomorrow.
Speaker 1: What's you guys are broken down? You guys are on the side of the road.
Speaker 2: No, we're at a shop right now. You're at a shop, yeah, like a if they fixed the truck.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, okay, So you guys are just kind of sitting around in the truck while it's getting fixed. Yeah, okay, cool? Can I talk to your dad?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Hello, Hey, what's up?
Speaker 3: Man? My mam?
Speaker 1: What's your name?
Speaker 3: Dwayne?
Speaker 1: Dwayne? Dwayne mean the traveling truck driver?
Speaker 3: Where we go?
Speaker 1: What's what? What's life like?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 1: What? How? How long have you been driving this truck? For? All?
Speaker 3: Been driving a truck?
Speaker 1: You've been driving truck for thirty five years? Yeah, you must have seen some crazy shit along along your thirty five years.
Speaker 3: A lot, a lot.
Speaker 1: Oh man. I don't even know where to start with my questions. Do you have time? I don't know if you have anything else to do. I feel like I got you in a good place right now because I don't. I can't imagine you have anything else.
Speaker 4: Do you?
Speaker 1: Literally can't go anywhere?
Speaker 3: No, can't do nothing. Tell me get it fixed tomorrow.
Speaker 1: So this feels like a base question, but I might as well ask you, is that What's the craziest thing you think you've witnessed over these thirty five years?
Speaker 3: Oh? My god? I woods delivering local and Minneapolis area and I was backing into doc and I hit something and I go, what the hell is that? And I thought they put a dumpster outside the dock cannot be backed inside of a building, but it's it's black and I hit a parked car and I got out and next thing you know, here comes a naked blonde, then a naked brunette. So that's the craziest ship I've seen out here.
Speaker 1: Wait they there were just two naked girls in the in the park car.
Speaker 3: Yes, and alcohol involved on their part.
Speaker 1: Weird, weird. Oh yeah, what now? Now? Where what's the farthest distance you've driven in one day?
Speaker 3: That was on paper walks? So I probably did twelve hundred miles. And when we had paper, Now we got computers hard. We can't lie no more.
Speaker 1: We used to lie about how long you've driven for, like for to make money or something.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, you'd worked twenty hour days, twenty one, twenty two, whatever it was. And I'd leave Minneapolis, drive to La and La. I'd go to Chattanooga and I might lay down for eight hours. Back then, and that was twenty five years ago when I used to do that kind of driving.
Speaker 1: Now, what is the worst diarrhea you've ever gotten from a gas station? Sandwich?
Speaker 3: Oh? God, you know, just going to the truck stop and eat, You're gonna have diarrhea. You're gonna shoot here.
Speaker 1: Now, you must have, you must have, Like, how do you how do you do food? Because I assume you've been doing this for thirty five years, and I assume that you're not exclusively eating at Circle K's and other gas stations, because I don't think you could make would still be alive if that was how you did it? So how do you do it?
Speaker 3: Oh? God? I mean now I'll eat out of the I'm gonna stove and I got it all in here.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you can cook it.
Speaker 3: But yeah, but you just stop. The truck stops eat are you stop? There's a I don't know if you ever heard of it, the Big Texan restaurant. Thank got a seventy two on steak. If you can eat that in an hour than it's free?
Speaker 1: Did you would You've never tried it?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: God, no, would that not be the greatest accomplishment of your thirty five year career?
Speaker 3: It would be mm hmm?
Speaker 1: What the hell else was?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, which gas station has the best food? From your thirty five years of experience.
Speaker 3: It used to be that. I'm gonna say that Petro trucks up used to be a good one. Now they all went downhill. They're all going to fast food. They're taking their restaurants out and just putting all fast food in m H. So you get tired of SUBWAYE, McDonald's and Rby's and all these trucks sounds. You get tired of beating that ship all the time.
Speaker 1: What do you think about when you're driving?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, what don't you think about? I mean, you think about everything. It stucks being gone from your families. I mean since last August, because I've been home two days. But we're doing it for financial reasons, because but paying off a lot of bills.
Speaker 1: So what you're telling, you're saying from August of twenty twenty two to now April twenty twenty three, you have been home for only two days.
Speaker 3: Two days. Wow, it's crazy.
Speaker 1: Wow. And so you're on the you're just and every single day you're you're just driving these long, crazy distances.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's gnarly. Uh Is it usual? Is it usually like that?
Speaker 3: Uh? No? I mean anymore, you can drive maybe a seven hundred mile day, seven and forty and we can only drive so many hours more than hours a day. So but I gotta tell you too. My daughter was at your show there in Chicago. Uh, what it was? When were you in Chicago? Just what?
Speaker 4: A couple of weeks?
Speaker 1: Yeah, a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 3: And her boyfriend was up on stage with you.
Speaker 1: Oh wait a minute, who's her boyfriend, Tristan?
Speaker 3: Do you remember d EMPTY?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, there was a guy who came on stage to tell it, talk about how he fucking would make d MT in.
Speaker 3: His Yes, yes, yes, dude.
Speaker 1: Have you ever done have you ever done his DMT?
Speaker 3: Oh? God, no, God no, I you know I get drug tested too much. I haven't did god thirty five years.
Speaker 1: So that's that's that That sound that is words spoken like a man who is on a podcast that is being released to the public. So I'm curious. It's cool that you have your daughter with you or she. I mean, that must be really nice to have somebody with you, right like you're Mainly.
Speaker 3: It's good because it's probably her last trip. She's eighteen, she's home school, and so she does everything online and she probably ain't gonna want to come with me anymore.
Speaker 1: Oh did she used to come with you a lot?
Speaker 3: Oh? All the time? Oh, okay, come with me for a month. At a time, and this time she's gonna be out three weeks with.
Speaker 1: Me and she's home school, so she's like on the road doing school.
Speaker 3: Yes. Wow.
Speaker 1: And is there a teacher that comes with you or is it it's all over zoom?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's just all online. Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah wi fi and that thing.
Speaker 3: No, I don't No, I don't. She off my hospops off the phone and hance for everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Fascinating. And uh you're are you? Are you married?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yes?
Speaker 1: And uh does your wife ever come with you?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: I wish.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. What does she do and that decides?
Speaker 3: Uh? Not a school box, but the fan picked up kids and drop all along.
Speaker 1: So both of both of you guys do the driving the transporting. Yeah, okay, just.
Speaker 3: She's home all the time, and I don't know if I'm ever kid home anymore?
Speaker 1: Is is your daughter your only kid?
Speaker 3: I have one, wife has one and DISI ours together.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, he's the baby. Do you get to and your your other kids? Do you get to see them very often?
Speaker 3: Yea, the one in Houston every now and then the one in Fargo. I I'd never get to Fargo. So so you appreciate tattoos my friend.
Speaker 1: Do I appreciate tattoos? Yes, I've you know, I iiate tattoos. I have no interest in getting one myself. But why do you ask? Are you do you? Are you a tattoos man? Oh?
Speaker 3: I got just a few of them, but I got one of that. I'm into the zones both. I got one of Fred Banging Wilman's Doggie sells.
Speaker 1: Do you have to you gotta send us a picture of that ship?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know how, but.
Speaker 3: My daughter contigurettes how to do all that? O? God, I can't.
Speaker 1: I don't even know if I can't even show it. But when did you get When did you get a tattoo of Fred Banging Wilma?
Speaker 3: God, I have had that for Oh my god? When did I get that one? Probably twenty twenty five years ago? Maybe?
Speaker 1: Now? Did you get it on your like like like the crux of your elbow so that when you like like flex your arm back and forth, it makes it so that he's thrusting?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, no, where is this?
Speaker 1: You got it up on the bicep okay? And I'm after twenty five years does like does how does it look? Has it faded?
Speaker 3: At all?
Speaker 1: Or is Fred still going strong?
Speaker 3: It still looks pretty good.
Speaker 1: I have to ask you what inspire what inspired you to want to get that?
Speaker 3: God, I seen another tattoo something like that, and I was like, I knew I was with a poststones and I was like, I gotta get one. Now.
Speaker 1: Would you ever get one of what's the mom from the Jetsons?
Speaker 3: Oh, what is her name?
Speaker 1: You gotta get you gotta get a you gotta get a Jetson sex one. On the other hand, the daughter, Uh, I don't know his ways his wife something, Oh Jane, Jane, Jane his way. Okay, yeah, Jane and George Jane and George Jetson. Okay, there we go. Yes, you should get a tattoo of them fucking If you're looking for new tattoo ideas, I could do that, dude, hell ya, hell yeah? What do you have any other tattoos?
Speaker 3: And I got one of Fred holding Tebbles when she was a baby. Almost we're almost named our daughter Tebble.
Speaker 1: I like the you know what, this is kind of cute, like your body is like a comic stre if. The first panel here were fucking his wife, and then the second panel there's a baby. Uh, why so this you this is like a lifelong thing for you, the Simpsons and not the Flintstones.
Speaker 3: Why setting a neighbor and that.
Speaker 1: Thought.
Speaker 3: I couldn't even tell you how many years ago, twenty seven maybe twenty eight years second a neighbor and before cell phones and all that. She was on the phone talking to Fred and about my body part and she called it Fred. That girl started calling me thread from then on.
Speaker 1: Wait a minute, say this, say this, say this one more time. Who they started calling you said something about it. They were talking about your body part.
Speaker 3: My wife was on the phone talking their friend called my body part Fred. And this little girl that was two, and that girl started.
Speaker 1: Oh, oh, so your your wife is talking about your dick on the phone to her friend. She calls it and she calls your dick Fred. Yeah, and the little then the girls's baby's thing that's calling you Fred. It's hilarious. God damn well, I'm it's good. She was calling uh, your penis Fred and not pebbles or maybe or maybe your penis is Fred and your balls are pebbles. You take Fred and you go bam bam.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's right, bam bam.
Speaker 1: Have you what do you think of the Flintstones movie.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I've seen them new one. I mean, I haven't watched any movies in a long time, like an a theater went out.
Speaker 1: So I'm I'm still curious about the road because it seems it's such a unique lifestyle, and you've been living here for so long. It's very nice to hear that your daughter has been coming around. So you said this is her last time you how are you feeling about this being your daughter's last trip? Is that emotional for you?
Speaker 3: You know, I'm gonna miss it. I wish you. I mean, hey, she's eighteen or at least you don't like me, you know, I mean kids taking over. They hate her parents and selt like that. But tell me other way, I'm gonna be able to get her and me and her would do motorcycle trips together. So I have to do a motorcycle motorcycle trip one of these times, and to get her to go with me again somewhere.
Speaker 1: Huh. I like that. You you know, after driving a big fucking like sixteen wheel sixteen wheel semi truck eighteen eighteen, you know it must feel so freeing to be on the motorcycle, being like, let me ditch sixteen of these wheels catch right? Yeah? M. Do you do you anticipate that you'll be doing this for many more years in the future?
Speaker 3: Do you know? I told my wife I till seventy, I will retire. I won't work to seventy and one day there's no way in hell. Yeah, yeah, so I got another eleven years left. M.
Speaker 1: What do you want to do when you retire?
Speaker 3: I drink, get high and be outright.
Speaker 1: For my man? So, yeah, because you can't hopefully not at the same time. Hopefully hopefully you're not doing all those at the same time. So you can't. You can't, I mean you can't. They like drug test you, so you can't even you know, you don't even have like a like a little bit of time off here and there where you can drink or get stone because you're always.
Speaker 3: You can have some cocktails and stuff like that, but smoking anything. I mean, they could call me tomorrow to go in for a drug.
Speaker 1: Test, right right, right, right?
Speaker 4: So mm hmm.
Speaker 3: About everything you work for?
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course. What's what have you been to all fifty states?
Speaker 3: Haven't been to Alaster off the White too, I haven't been.
Speaker 1: What's what's the worst state? Just really, if there's a state that you hate or a place in America that you hate, I want you to write now if you can just throw everything you've got at it at how much it sucks?
Speaker 3: Uh? Probably Georgia, Atlanta, Georgia. I don't think traffic sucks everything.
Speaker 1: Now mgding.
Speaker 3: Then going to Atlanta?
Speaker 1: Do you hate l A too?
Speaker 3: No? I don't mind l A. That's I mean, that's where I'm going.
Speaker 1: Yeah, huh, that's why do you Why do you if if it's traffic that is the main thing you don't like about Atlanta, why do you like La better than Atlanta?
Speaker 3: So it's better? I think the Trump is bad. I mean, for all that in California, it ain't it ain't you too bad?
Speaker 1: Mhm mm hmm. What's well? Okay, what's the best state?
Speaker 3: Oh? God? You get out there in the middle of Montana because nothing's.
Speaker 1: Out there and you like nothing.
Speaker 3: That's right, nothing's there except the mountains in the snow.
Speaker 1: All right, on a on a three. Just I know I asked you this question again, I was. I know I already asked you this question, but all right, it's just on an average day, it's two pm. You're driving through Montana. Maybe you get the radio going, what's what's are you? What's it? What do you look? What are you thinking about?
Speaker 3: Oh my god? That's I mean, you know when we when I die, that's how you do this. You're like, why why did I chill hill? Why did I choose this for a lie? Right? And that? Because you're gone and it sucks. I mean you are gone from your family everything, and do you miss a lot in life of your family?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Do you does?
Speaker 4: Does?
Speaker 1: How do you do?
Speaker 2: You?
Speaker 4: Do?
Speaker 1: You have conflicting feelings about what you've chosen to do?
Speaker 3: Mm hmm, not really. I mean after I decided to do it, the first year of driving sucks because you're gone. You're not used to being gone. Then it was like nothing. Yeah I've drove local home there all the time. But you make more money on the road.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: If you is there any like other career options that you thought about before you picked the truck?
Speaker 3: Okay, I wouldn't want to talk.
Speaker 1: You could you would have been a copy said yep, yeah, I mean that's tough.
Speaker 4: Too, though.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, did all that ship when I was young? And then I was going to go in. I would have went, but I didn't want to go to the police. Without college, they would have tired me. I would have had to go work at the Gary police Department, and I didn't want to work in Gary.
Speaker 1: Gary, Indiana. Yeah, Gary, good old Gary, Indiana. Did Wait when when you worked at it for? What were you doing at the prison?
Speaker 3: A guard?
Speaker 1: That's a that's gotta be gnarly.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, you see ship you don't want to see bet?
Speaker 1: Did you? Did you ever have to break up any fights? No?
Speaker 3: Not really. I worked I worked a good door. I'm not gonna lie, Okay, I worked at But they worked outside the prison. They worked on the highway department and stuff like that. They most of them had less of a here to do, so they don't want to mess up.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so everyone everyone there was trying to get out on good behavior. So you didn't have to break up any any shankings or anything. No, that's good. What's are you? Is your your day? Is your daughter going to go to college?
Speaker 3: She don't know yet what really wants to do?
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm mmmm Well I hope she doesn't start making and selling d m T. I think she could do better than that.
Speaker 3: You don't make that ship and tell it either. She's gonna laugh at at me right now.
Speaker 1: Well, shit, man, thanks for talking to me about all this stuff. This is uh, this is cool, even though I'm glad, I'm glad I caught you, uh while your car was broke. I'm sorry your car broke down, but I am I'm glad that it breaking down led to us having this nice conversation together.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I just don't like to break down. I mean, you don't expect to spend thirteen thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: It's shit.
Speaker 1: Man, isn't there a fucking I'm gonna think about you now? Every time I see the flint Stones? Isn't there a fucking is there a flint Stones?
Speaker 3: There?
Speaker 1: Are they rebooting the Flintstones? Are they gonna like make jokes about Fred being on Twitter or some shit?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know, do you?
Speaker 1: How many do you have a third Flintstones tattoo? We haven't gotten into yet.
Speaker 3: Which is all No, no, okay, all right, I'll send the picture if I can figure out where.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you could. I mean, look, if you want, you can text the number the number. Oh she your daughter sent it on Instagram. Okay, uh, here fucking I'll look at I'll look at it right now. Hold on, I'll do I'll do a live reaction of this because I can't. I don't know where the hell will post it. Let me see she sent it to my Instagram. Hold, let me, let me let me can you can you ask her to send it to the number that she's texting?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah she will?
Speaker 1: Okay, is she also? Did you get her into the flintstones?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 1: What's by the way, what's in these trucks that you're driving around?
Speaker 3: I haul for a P and T and it's all for stuff than I do.
Speaker 1: It's all for for what?
Speaker 3: Cell towers?
Speaker 1: Oh oh, so you've got you you're hauling cell towers around everywhere?
Speaker 3: Jeez, parts for it?
Speaker 1: Yes, I just got I just got the picture.
Speaker 3: He got it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they dude, he looks in pain. These got these people, both of them look like they're not having a good time.
Speaker 3: He has any balls. That looks like he's prying because.
Speaker 1: He's like sweating, and yeah, he's like he's sweating. There's drips of sweat coming from his head, and there's drips of sweat coming from Velma's ass. And from her head, she's wearing a necklace. He's got he's got his the on. This is the dude. He looks so uncomfortable in this fucking figure. But that's pretty legendary. God damn. All right, I'll have to find a place. I have no idea where if i'm maybe I'll make this a Patreon. We'll figure it out. Maybe I'll just I'll just my description of it can be enough. But yeah, well thanks man. What's your name again? Dwayne?
Speaker 3: Right, Dwayne, Yes.
Speaker 1: Dwayne, Dwayne. You know, I'm glad we take so much for granted in our lives, you know, like like the fact that my fucking cell phone works. The fact that I can have this conversation with you right now on the phone is as a result of your hard work hauling these towers across America. And I just want to say thank you.
Speaker 3: Hey, we appreciate it. We appreciate because we can to listen to you and all that.
Speaker 1: What do you listen to in the car when you are? You a music guy, podcast guy? You know what?
Speaker 3: Ninety percent of the time I don't even have to read your Really, I just wanted quiet.
Speaker 1: I just wanted quiet, really, So you just met. You're like meditating all the time. Yeah, wow, you must have life figured out.
Speaker 3: No, I wish I would, because if I had it figured it out?
Speaker 1: Retired, well ship, Thanks Douayne. It was nice talking to you.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: I once you put your daughter back on the phone, I'll say about it.
Speaker 3: Heard. Okay, Hello, Hello Bailey?
Speaker 2: Hi, how are you?
Speaker 1: Thank you for letting me talk to you. Thank you for did you introduce your dad to the show or I don't know if.
Speaker 3: You what this is? Well?
Speaker 1: Thanks, thank you? Thank you for for that. That was That was a fun conversation. I don't know how much of it you were able to hear.
Speaker 4: Some of it.
Speaker 1: How is it? What's next for you in life now that you're you've completed your travels with your dad.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm gonna go back to Indiana and is it my boyfriend and I'm gonna go back home and graduate?
Speaker 4: Yes? Do are you do?
Speaker 1: You are playing on doing like college or anything like that or going into the trade or do you wanna do you want to drive? You're both your parents drive things. Are you going to be do?
Speaker 3: Uber?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: God, no, I'm not sure what I want to do yet?
Speaker 1: Okay, Well I I I I think you will live for full life. Sounds like you have a nice family.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: That's a cool stuff.
Speaker 2: Yes, thank you.
Speaker 1: Is there anything that you or is there anything that you or your dad want to say to the people of the computer before we go?
Speaker 4: No, thank you.
Speaker 2: Have a nice night.
Speaker 1: Hey YouTube, take care Bailey, but by.
Speaker 3: Dwayne, goodbye. I have a great evening.
Speaker 1: Hey YouTube, man, you take care.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks brother, what a great call, What a great call.
Speaker 1: Thank you again, Bailey and Duyne for taking taking us with you on your journey across America. This, this Velma and Fred tattoo is pretty funny. Uh fuck it. I'll post it in discord. Maybe I don't know, or you'll or I'll never do anything with it at all, and it will just be for me. And you know what, Yeah, because I like the I like the idea of people in their minds picturing what it looks like more than just showing it. And also, listen, if you here's the thing. If you're listening to this, and you if you're listening to this and you really want to know what Fred fucking well, what Fred fucking Velma looks like? Buddy, It's a click away on the internet if you want to Google that if you want to have that forever etched into your Internet search history. That's the that's the only price, okay, because there's free Rule thirty four. Flintstone's hend tie a click away, which is it's funny because that's the most anachronistic thing that could exist. Is simply is Flintstone's Rule thirty four because it's it's such a comment on the future on the Internet era at just how quickly you can pull up an image of Fred fucking Velma and it's it's uh that in contrast with what the Flintstones is all about, which is uh, you know rocks. It's really beautiful. It's really a statement on something that I haven't figured out just yet. But thank you again Dwayne and Bailey for gracing us with your presence and Deak bless you all from hell. Hi, what's going on?
Speaker 4: And everybody is right? You do sound different through a phone?
Speaker 1: Why do people keep well, everybody sounds different through the phone. I don't know why people keep saying that everybody sounds different through the phone. That's why. I that's why on my Reddit all the time or like I That's what.
Speaker 4: It is people, It's the quality.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it's the beautiful Yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 4: Yeah, go ahead, you go ahead. Oh well, okay, so I I know again no chat, But socks on the beach did sell my name correctly. I'm an avid anti AI D E N spell. I don't really care.
Speaker 1: About the socks on the beach as a chatter, and they correctly spelled your name. Okay, So you are not a I D E N.
Speaker 4: No, that's like the second wave generation of Aiden. It's like the white Wine Mom version.
Speaker 1: What are you?
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm a I D an you know the O G A I D Yeah. Oh no A I D A A I D A N.
Speaker 1: Well listen, you know me, I'm gonna forget your name in about five seconds. So spelling is in another u I like how much I feet like and I know it sucks and I know it. I don't know what it is with my brain where I'm not bad with we're'm bad with names and stuff, but the like figuring out how to remembering how to spell your name is in another universe. That's like I'm not evolved enough of a creature to have that information, right.
Speaker 4: That's a nitpicky thing on my part.
Speaker 1: No, No, you're okay, I know you're okay, and I appreciate you calling it. I was gonna say, it's funny. I get like people on people always say like, oh, the calls are faked or it's like the same person calling in every time, and it's like, well, yeah, the mic, the microphone makes it look like it makes it sound like it's the same person.
Speaker 4: It's a totally different quality. I mean, I think that's why you sound like different because you're on like a I don't know what kind of mike you're using. It's like yetti or something nice, but it's like way higher quality than whatever you're calling on. So I think it's just a way different quality. The same way like you'll record yourself on like a nice mic and then listen to yourself on like a phone call and you're like you, well.
Speaker 1: I'm done talking about audio engineering. I want to know about you. Aiden what's going on? How can you call? It's okay if you don't have a reason, but if you do, hit me no.
Speaker 4: So I called in specifically because I am starting to do a ninety day what they call a dopamine detox. Yeah, basically just like take a break from all different kinds of like crazy stimulation. So like video games, alcohol, weed which sucks, TV shows, literally anything that could possibly like give you happiness, you just got to kind of cut out and then just like only do like I guess, like reading and stuff that's kind of like lighter. But yeah, I'm on, Like, I'm not very far into it. I'm about on day four, but like already, like I've been feeling it a lot.
Speaker 1: Well, it's nice to know that my stream releases no dopamine in your brain, and so it's okay for you to see you fall into.
Speaker 4: A great So music and podcasts are fine. So I've been listening to your podcast. I was listening to your most recent one right up to this, and I was like, oh, shoot, be's streaming the night since it's one day, so that was kind of hype huh. But yeah, no, oh sorry, go ahead.
Speaker 1: Oh well, so okay, So so you're not allowed you're allowed to listen to podcasts. I assume you're not allowed to like crack addict, scroll, uh, TikTok, YouTube, Instagram, facial media too.
Speaker 4: Yep. Yeah, so one thing on that actually is bizarre. So every time I've tried to do this in the past, I finally cracked it. What ended up happening like taking a break from video games or taking a break from something else. What ends up happening is your brain notices the deficiency and it tries to make up for it in other places. So that can either be social media, YouTube regardless, So higher high dopamine activities like take for instance, I take a five day sabbatical from video gaming, but I'm gonna up is by the second day. I'm gonna be just accessing YouTube every other like second, just because I'm not getting the same level that I got before. Someone in the chat was talking about like legal addictions or whatever, and I honestly believe that like dopamine or like over indulging in the reward system is like the biggest, like freaking' addiction out there.
Speaker 1: All Right, so you're day four into this thing. You're allowed to listen to podcasts. I guess you're allowed. Well, I guess you're allowed to be on twitch. Yeah, okay, all right, So.
Speaker 4: Well the Twitch part was mostly just because I wanted to call it in right here.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I'll give you a I won't tell who, I won't tell your sponsor, oh that you called me?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 1: So of your vices, of the things that give you dopamine, which ones, like you know, got you off the most. What what we're like the biggest uh uh Devil's temptations for you? Was it poorn? Was it sugar? Is it weed? What's what are your big big vices?
Speaker 4: So definitely sugar and video games. That's another thing too, is like cutting out sugar. That has been crazy because I never realized how much sugar isn't everything you consume.
Speaker 1: Fucking yeah, it's so crazy.
Speaker 4: And I mean I live on a university campus, so they're able to get away with like pumping so much sugar into everything you eat, because I mean, where else are you're going to get food? So yeah, I know it's it's wild. It is bizarre. But more than that, I'd probably say sugar in video games wan anything just in terms of taking up my time and just unhealthiness.
Speaker 1: What kind of video games?
Speaker 4: Honestly, usually I'll end up playing like, uh, Overwatch with some buddies, or like will end up playing like jack Box or Minecraft, just like the typical like oh, do it with friends type deal.
Speaker 1: Okay, I mean you know, if you're doing it with like friends, that seems like it's not, you know, horrible.
Speaker 4: Well that's what it is in the offset, and then I start to break off and do it on my own and then fill the rest of my time up, so it's no longer like a group activity.
Speaker 1: Okay, And how many how many hours a day were you playing video games?
Speaker 4: Honestly, anytime I really got free time, So at least like two to four hours every day, okay, yeah, which I mean, I mean doesn't sound like a lot, but add that to social media and right everything.
Speaker 1: Just yeah, you know, I've been playing a lot of switch. I've been playing like all the Zelda games on there and all the Mario games. Yeah, I'm actually I'm having a great time because I used to spend my free I'm not a big like I haven't seen any of the TV shows or I haven't seen any movies. But I realized that I used to spend my free time just like scrolling TikTok or reels or YouTube or whatever the fuck, And it was kind of like trash. But at least with video games, you know, I'm I am focused on something that feels intentional. Right, you can I decide to turn on my switch and play Zelda and experience it as a thing as opposed to like, I'm on TikTok just looking at things that are upsetting, which and I found myself there. I didn't decide to be there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, exactly. I think that's also the same reason people get pissed off with multiplayer games and like feel wildly depressed, just because at the end of the day you're not getting anything out of it. With camp I games like Breath of the Wild, you feel like you're actually getting a sense of accomplishment. I know you're talking about like with that other guy who felt I think he was calling about Monica dating sim or something like that, talking about how you uh saved a village and it was like a form of like escapism, but at the same time you actually felt like you were that kind of hero aspect.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I mean I guess my concern is, like, Okay, what happens when you shut down that computer. I mean, like, yeah, that was awesome, but now you got to like focus in on real life. You have all these stresses and anxieties and stuff, and hey, you felt that momentary relief, but then like all that happiness you're only deriving from those sources.
Speaker 1: So you know, it's fine, It's very fine. I've thought about that, right, I guess, like I sunk a ton of time into these Elda games, and when they were over, I was like, oh, I didn't Oh I still have to go back into real life. But then I'm like, well, you know, when I fucking die, you could say the same thing about that. Yeah, true, but that's I don't think that's a healthy way to look at, you know, being alive. Yeah, I mean that's you know, that's on. You can't you cannot refute that.
Speaker 3: But I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't. I don't have shame over the time I've spent playing video games. I probably, you know, hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of hours into Super Smash, Bros. Melee, and you know, at least a few hundred hours to switch so far, I just like, you know, don't have any shame. I was just what were you gonna say, I'm talking about you?
Speaker 4: No, I was agreeing, like Super Smash's bomb. But yeah, no, I'm not by all means, I'm not discounting that at all. I'm on the same page like all of the time that I've spent video gaming totally. But I've also like especially into like the past few years I've suffered with like CD and depression more than anything, and and also ADHD, so trying to get to the bottom of those things and understanding like, Okay, what can I control about my life to improve it. In the past, I've tried cutting out video games and dope for me, and like I said, what I ended up doing was just filling it with something else, and then I'd rationalize my way back into it, so I'd be like, oh, I'll just play a game with my friend, and then it would just fall back in, because I don't think people realize how easy it is when you're like addicted to something like this to be like, oh, well, I need to message somebody on Instagram or Snapchat and because I mean it's a form of communication, and then I'll leave it alone and not be a dicta yea yeah. But in terms of like physical symptoms since I started doing it, they're a lot stronger than I expected, like and not just like subjectively, like the first couple of days, I felt exhausted for no reason at all, but it felt like it wasn't boredom. It was just like I was felt purely like drained a little bit. I'm coming out of that, like with a vengeance, so I'm feeling a lot better today. But that and it felt like I had cravings, Like I kept on thinking of ways that I could like get dopamine. There's also this really bizarre like muscle memory thing where I kept on like going to like Safari on my iPhone and like typing in YouTube or the news, only to find out like, hey, I blocked them on those like passages, those like it's really bizarre to coming to terms with the fact that's like how ingrained it is in you without even really oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, no, no, no, you you you. That's one of the scary things is when you realize that you're like you've programmed yourself to do all that shit. No for sure, go ahead, no you go ahead.
Speaker 4: Have you ever seen a social dilemma on Netflix?
Speaker 3: I have.
Speaker 1: I thought it was kind of cheesy that like dramatizations and stuff.
Speaker 4: I agree that the dramatizations, but I think what they addressed was like the best it's been addressed so far, just with the idea of like it's not personal, it's not like execs on like Instagram or TikTok or video game makers are malicious if they want you to like suffer anything or like throw away your life to them. But it's a business and fundamental goal of make profit, and you make profit by increasing engagements. I think that focus without questioning the potential like fallbacks just kind of jacks the whole thing up.
Speaker 1: And it's also weird. I must have said this. I'm sure I've said this on a podcast one thousand times, but it is so crazy to look at like just a timeline of human existence and I guess all of existence and see the infinitesimal dot on the infinite timeline of existence in which this stuff has even existed, you know, and it's only gonna get exponentially crazier. Now I'm impressed with you because you did, you are do, You're a hit and everything at once.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: A lot of people are like, I'm gonna quit sugar for ninety days or I'm gonna quit the Internet for ninety days, but you're like, I'm quitting all of everything that gives me any happiness in the world for ninety days.
Speaker 4: But that's the exact thing, is that if you leave anything up, it's simply going to be a substitute. You're just gonna fall back on something else and eventually you'll rationalize your way back into it. It has to be complete and total in my opinion.
Speaker 1: And you've and you've and you've you've tried this a few times before and it has not worked several times.
Speaker 4: Yes, I'm I'd like to think of myself as like a productivity buff. I've found try and like tried to find various ways to like deal with procrastination and that sort of thing. So like, I have tried this a ton of times.
Speaker 1: But what's the farthest you've got.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm on my own accord, Probably like a probably honestly, probably like five days.
Speaker 3: We haven't.
Speaker 1: You haven't even broken your record on this current.
Speaker 4: But I wasn't doing the same thing I was. I was allowing for substitute. This is my first go at like cold turkey, and so far it's like I don't even have like the same like I can tell there's a big difference. Rather than just substituting it. Substituting it, I felt like I was still wasting my time on something, But now it feels like I'm actually fully committed.
Speaker 1: If you weren't talking to me right now? And I guess, is this conversation giving you dopa Maine? You're talking to another person.
Speaker 4: A get go you are talking to.
Speaker 1: Do you have do you have the desire to jack off onto a donut and eat it and then play thirty rounds of Overwatch? I don't know why I said the thing about jacking off onto a donut and eating it. I guess that was that would be like a.
Speaker 3: You know, the the.
Speaker 4: And it's a metaphor. It's a metaphor, a metaphor, yeah, yeah, absolutely, or would it be an analogy? I didn't take enough English for this.
Speaker 1: I don't think they would talk about this thing of class? But did do you have the desire right now to do these things?
Speaker 4: So that's like with the cravings and stuff, it's like it's so fundamentally backgrounds, Like of course you got those ingrained habits, like yes, like every single like not every single second, you're able to kind of tune it out. But take for instance, like like the amount of times that I'm just like, oh I feel anxious, let me check my phone happens way more often than I thought it did. Like I thought I checked my phone with purpose, but nah, same thing with overwash. I thought I would like rationalize and be like, hey, let me let me actually like play a game or two make myself feel good. But I'm realizing that's never the case. It's purely just like a cycle A it's a it's a like built in reaction at this point, built pacify and it's crazy.
Speaker 1: I think I was projecting on you when I said the thing about jacking off on the donut, but I'm not going to talk about that anymore. All right, before we go, I want to know from you just before we go, what what what surrounding this? What you're in school, What do you like, who you are as a person? What do you what do you study?
Speaker 4: So I'm studying be IT and marketing management, but like I'm at like it's my sophomore year, so I still got like a lot of time to figure out where I want to go with it. Okay, but overall, yeah, it's good. I got a girl friend uh this semester, so that's pretty hype. We actually knew each other for like seven years, so I mean we knew each other for a while until but then she came back to yeah whatever, we reconnected. So that was pretty hype.
Speaker 1: That's cool.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I'm roommateing with my best friend. Overall things are good aside from like you know, mental wise.
Speaker 1: Well, so you have so you're doing this for ninety days.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's my goal.
Speaker 1: Do you tell me and like tell me tell me honestly, yep? Do you think Do you think you're going to make the ninety days?
Speaker 3: I do?
Speaker 4: Okay, I think because I have the mindset now that like I'm like, of course everybody's gonna die one day, but like if I'm going to use up like three months of my life to like commit myself just to find out something, like just to like commit those three months to something I've never done, rather than just like staying in a habit of something that I know probably messes with me to some extent. Like I'm like, I might as well commit and find out.
Speaker 1: You know, inspired by that. Yeah, but you know what talk is cheap? What's your name again?
Speaker 4: It's Aiden.
Speaker 1: The talk is cheap, Aiden with the A which I knew. No, I didn't know that I'm lying, but.
Speaker 4: Talk is cheap.
Speaker 3: Uh, you call it?
Speaker 1: Hit me in ninety days, hit me in ninety days. Let's see if you did it? I'm if you if you do it successfully, I was I was about to say, if you do it successfully, I'll give it to try, but it's not true. Maybe I'll try. I'd like to try it for I should try it for like a week, even now I do, I should try for a fucking try for an hour, honestly before I can make people.
Speaker 4: Say that like one quick thing I want to address before I do. Go. Yes, So people have said, like they've gotten benefits from like a day a week is a good thing to aim for. But I mean when you look at like studies and such or not studies, but like commentary by like top scientists and doctors, they'll be like, Okay, well, dopamine detals in and of itself is like not really scientifically correct, but it does address the reward system. And I think that's because like they're not really looking at what it does. When your brains neurons can like conversate with each other, they require dopamine to kind of like set off those receptors. But when you're doing a bunch of like high dopamine activities regularly, what essentially happens is the brain figures that because it's getting the same level of dopamine or it's getting like an non normal amount of dopaine, it like adjusts itself so that it decreases the amount of receptors so that when you're doing those high dopamine activities it feels it begins to feel normal and not fun. And so then when you're doing non high dopamine activities, you just feel like shit all the time. So that that is like the concept with the whole thing. But yeah, no, I just wanted to address that real quick because I feel like people get give it a bad rep but it like has worked and has real scientific basis for it.
Speaker 1: That sounded very scientific. It's funny. I'm all, you're always like, uh, scrambling around trying to figure out how to fix your fucking life at least I am. And it's like, no, we did. There's science on this ship. There's actually real people did, uh, like wrote books on how to make your brain not make you hate yourself. So all right, I'll read I'll read some books eaten with a what's that?
Speaker 3: Hit me?
Speaker 1: Hit me with your last thing, hit me in the face, give me some with your last thing, last bit. Sorry you talked, not me.
Speaker 4: Okay, So this is a real shot in the dark here. I just am curious if you remember it. But a couple of like a year or two ago, when you're still streaming on our PAN for Reddit, Yeah, I sent you a message threatening you with my juggling abilities and you're like, oh, no, juggling. I don't know if you would remember that, but like that really stuck out to me.
Speaker 1: Was it a private message or like it was you said you what did you say? You said, I will kill you with your my juggles?
Speaker 4: No, Like, I don't know. I was juggling on our PAN and you like always boosted all the way to like first I always was like bruh, like all the arpans people are going to watch the get go.
Speaker 1: I But I mean, so you just sent me a message saying I I will threaten you with my juggling abilities and I said, oh.
Speaker 4: No, judge, I think I will destroy with my juggle. Yeah. I don't know that was that was a weird place for me at the time. But yeah, a little little little shot in.
Speaker 1: The dark right there, to think you could have, you know, been a professional juggler, but now you're you know, sitting staring at walls trying to fix your brain. Yep, you know it, and having it sounds like having a good time doing it. I'm inspired. I'm gonna do that tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Please just try it, Okay, all right, you.
Speaker 1: Take care of with the name
Speaker 3: Goes on the line.