Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, Robert Evans here, and I wanted to let you know this is a compilation episode. So every episode of the week that just happened is here in one convenient and with somewhat less ads package for you to listen to in a long stretch if you want. If you've been listening to the episodes every day this week, there's got to be nothing new here for you. But you can make your own decisions. It's it could happen here. It's it's it's it's it could happen here a podcast that it is. It's happening to you here right now. Bad things, good things, all sorts of things, because today we are talking about the ultimate and bad good things, Donald Trump's indictment and very brief arrest. Garrison Davis, James Stout. How are we all doing today? How we all feeling this week?
Speaker 2: We did it, Joe, the mission accomplished.
Speaker 3: Time to pack up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Dark Brandon has come for Trump finally, So I figured we would wait until, you know, a few days had gone by. There were a lot of when the initial indictment was announced, we didn't even actually know what all the charges were. There was a pretty long period of time that we didn't know like what the actual crime at the center of this was, but most of that has now is now relatively clear, as are kind of the earliest stages of the fallout to the Trump indictment. So I feel like now is a reasonably good time to talk about it. More may have, you know, occur since we occurred, since we recorded this. But broadly speaking, the thing that Trump got indicted by, as according to the thirteen page court filing outlining the case against him by Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg, was what's called a catch and kill scheme in which Trump and you know, his his Trump bets, would basically bribe people to not write bad stories about him. You know, it's a hush money thing. My assumption is that basically everybody at that level of wealth and prominence does versions of the same thing, and these, in fact, are not crimes on their own. You can bribe somebody not to say a bad talk about a bad thing you did to the press. Where things get illegal is that Trump, you know, made a series of payments, primarily these one hundred and thirty one thousand dollars in payments to Stormy Daniels, to buy her quiet, and then he had to falsify company records or his people falsified company records to disguise the payments as legal fees. Bragg is arguing that not only is this a crime, but it's a felony crime because he did this, He falsified these records to these disguise these payments in order to further additional violations of the laws. And those additional violations of the laws, the actual like core crime here is that disguising under New York law, disguising these kind of payments in corporate records is a crime. It's typically a misdemeanor, but it's a felony if the business records were intended to obscure a second crime. And in this case, the second crime appears to be the use of funds to advance his like presidential campaign, which was in violation of campaign finance laws. So the core crime that makes the misdemeanor a felony is the fact that he was doing this in order to advance his presidential campaign, and thus like the payments that he was making were basically counted as part of the limited amount of money you can spend, you know, financing your campaign and he violated that right. That's that's the gist of it, as I understand, like what's actually being argued here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that seems to be about the sides of it. Just for people who aren't familiar. Brag is Alvin Bragg?
Speaker 3: What the yeah?
Speaker 4: You da Manhattan da Okay?
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: What's really concerning about this is that if they can arrest Trump, that means they can arrest to any one of us.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 1: All the money that I've paid for people to hush up stories about it, including Stormy Daniels, you know. No, it's like people, there's a lot of talk about like is this a weak case or a strong case? None of us are lawyers, my my, I go kind of both ways about this. One of them is that Alvin Bragg is a guy who, you know, whatever he believes about this case, is also a prosecutor. That is a political position. Prosecuting someone and failing to get your man is bad for your career, and if that man is the president who you indict for the first time in living memory, that would be really bad for your So my assumption is that Brag at least believes he's got a really strong case otherwise he because this is a tremendous risk for him right now. Obviously, can Trump wriggle his way out of it, well, Trump is extremely good at wriggling his way out of things, and he has all of the money in the world for lawyers. So I think it would be foolish to say it's a slam dunk either way. People who are saying that, like, this is a weird thing to prosecute him for, I guess, but you know it does. I can see the logic that this guy that Bragg is kind of going with, and it's do I think this should be a felony?
Speaker 4: I guess.
Speaker 1: I don't care, as long as it does some damage to the man and causes him some like consternation, which is like the question, right, is this actually gonna harm him?
Speaker 4: But yeah, like that is the more debatable question, right, Like it's just gonna harm them or help him.
Speaker 1: There's there's a lot of talk about is this a political prosecution? And my general response to that is, well, like nearly all prosecutions are political, right, Like, even something that wouldn't seem like like a decision to go after a rapist, well, most rapists are not actually ever charged or brought through the justice system. So if you're a prosecutor choosing to do that in a specific case, there's a degree of politics factoring into your decision, even if it's just as as simple as like, if I take on this case and I lose it, it could harm my ability to move forward in the ways that I want to in my career. So the fact that now this is political perhaps a grander sense. I have no doubt that the fact that this is Donald fucking Trump and everything that's happened since twenty twenty has happened that he has been a party, and I have no doubt that that all factors into this. But I just don't see that as being like the fact that finally a prosecutor is making sort of a political prosecution of a man at the top of the hierarchy is not something that concerns me terribly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I didn't think, Like, I'm more concerned that this seems to have propelled him to the front of the Republican race and that he's getting a bunch of donations off it than I am about any potential consequences. Like all, Yeah, actual indictment.
Speaker 2: It is certainly an interesting political move for dissentis to back Trump on this and not not like comply with extradition, not that it would ever get to that point, but that is still a move that dissent is made on purpose, which is an interesting point of a move considering a future candidacy, and it.
Speaker 1: Is let's talk about that a second, because obviously thirty four felony counts sounds like a lot. That is in fact quite a few felonies. But the at least the coverage I'm reading is like it's basically unheard of for someone to actually do jail time for this as a first defense, which I don't know, whatever, it's absolutely breathtaking.
Speaker 4: He doesn't have a single crime on him, giving me he's essentially a career criminal.
Speaker 1: Well, there there are continuing like there's like the potential for prosecution still from like that call he had with the Secretary of State of Georgia, which we'll talk about a little bit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think there are a few sort of more serious there's a number of things that, Yeah, this may not be the last Trump criminal indictment that we see.
Speaker 2: Oh god, we can we can only hope.
Speaker 4: We can only hope because because.
Speaker 2: It only gets more funny from here, and that's the only reason to hope.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, well unless it doesn't.
Speaker 1: I'm seeing a lot of like panic from some people, certain certain folks in the progressive and kind of center left media sphere who are like, this is just handed Trump the nomination. This might have just handed Trump the election. From what I'm looking at and from the polling I'm looking at, I mean, I think there's a good chance this helps I mean, I think the certainly supports the argument that this will help him cinch the nomination. I don't really think that was super in doubt before, although he has definitely gained on Desantas since all of this, this whole process started, there is evidence I'm looking at a five thirty eight article right now, Trump's indictment might be making him more popular among Republicans. But kind of the point that's actually made is that the group that's that's getting more likely to back him is his base. Like maybe it's people who were softer on him because he didn't back you know, the j sixth people. Maybe some of them are just folks who kind of drifted away because you know, it's the years in between a presidential election and that's a natural thing. So it may have galvanized his base. He's certainly he's raised four or five million dollars.
Speaker 4: He's seven.
Speaker 1: Now he's claiming seven. I mean that seems real possible. He is saying that a significant chunk of it. I think like twenty percent might be more than that. Now we're like first time donations. That is what his people are claiming. That is not I have no way of knowing if those numbers are legitimate. What we can say is that the polling that we're seeing nationally does not back the idea that this is causing a sea change in the likelihood of Americans to support Donald Trump. About sixty nine percent of Americans, according to a very nice according to an economist you Go poll, say that in general, failing to report having spent campaign money on payments in order to keep someone silent about an issue to effect and affect the outcome of an election is a crime. About ninety percent Biden voters back this, while about fifty four percent of those who voted for Trump in twenty twenty said the same, Which is interesting. Now, that doesn't mean they also think that this is what Trump did, right, They're just saying they think that that is a crime. About fifty seven percent of Republicans according to that same or according to a Yahoo News yugav poll, about fifty seven percent of Republicans and Republican leaners said they would support Trump and a head to head against Ron DeSantis, who received thirty one percent. That's an increase in support for the president by about ten percent, but DeSantis has only gone down by like eight percent, so you can see like he basically what's happening is that this is causing people to flock from DeSantis to him, which is not kind of evidence that we're seeing like a broader national sweep. Quinnipiac University, n PR, PBS News Hour Marist Pole kind of broadly supported the idea that investigations into Trump are popular among Americans, more popular than not. At least about fifty six percent of Americans say the investigations into Trump are fair, about forty one percent say they're a witch hunt. In dependants are pretty split on the issue, but obviously like Democrats, wildly supportive Republicans very much against. Most college educated adults come down on this being fair, as do most gin Z and millennial people. Adults without a college education, White evangelicals and those in small towns are most likely to call it a witch hunt. An NPR, PBS News Hour Marist poll shows a plurality of Americans. Forty six percent believe Trump has done something illegal related to those investigations. Another twenty nine percent say Trump has done something unethical but not illegal, while only twenty three percent say he's done nothing wrong. Overall, fifty seven percent of Americans say that criminal charges filed against Trump should disqualify him from a presidential bid. Thirty eight percent say it should not. That would be an area where I actually agree with the Republicans. I don't think that having charges against you should disqualify you from running for president. But man, I think if you are a fucking murderer, you should be able to run for president. People have the right to run for and vote for whoever the fuck they want, and I think that that is a strong core belief of mine. Not going to vote for Trump, but I think the fact that he's getting charged with a bunch of felonies should not. If he was in jail, he should be able to run as people have in the past.
Speaker 4: In my opinion, Yeah, Eugene Debs famous Trump President, and I'm kind of more interested actually in I think the Republican response is fairly predictable, Like all of this we could have called that, you know, the moment they said they were indicting him the Democrats, Like, I'm look, I don't think the Democrats are ever going to do anything useful that will really change material conditions or make things much better for working people in this country. But the fact that it gives them the option to pivot back to like Orange Man bad as their only campaign, as their only promise, as their only sort of principle, which like they put forward as a reason to vote for them, is still bad. I think like it prevents even the mudicum of accountability that we have for all the shit that the Democrats have done and all the shit that they haven't done in the past what like three two, two and a half years since the election.
Speaker 1: I think that's so much broader of a problem than just dealing with this set of charges.
Speaker 4: I am.
Speaker 1: I am sympathetic to the idea if you just kind of look at history that you can't let people do the kind of shit Trump did and not try to fucking go after them and not hammer the sons of bitches, right, and this is this is not you know they went after after the Beer Hall putch, Hitler was jailed for like a year, So it doesn't mean that, like slaps on the wrist don't necessarily have much of a protective effect.
Speaker 4: But I don't know.
Speaker 1: I am so torn on this. I mean, obviously it's really funny. I think it if this is kind of the start of a series of prosecutions that's going to make this guy's life hell, and that might actually even force some consequences for him, then I think that's broadly speaking, a good thing, as long as it doesn't like disqualify him from the presidency, which I think would be a bad precedent.
Speaker 4: But I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm broadly on team yeah, man, fuck him up, like we know this guy would have, and in fact has promised to if he gets into power again, use the state, use the Justice Department, remake it in his own image, and destroy his enemies. So I'm not against the idea that, like well, the dims, I tend to agree with you on most things, James, Like I don't believe the Democratic Party deserves to have an easy election right now, because they've failed. I mean, this is the week where we're getting the announcement from Biden that he's essentially taking kind of the soft answer to the GOP attack on trans people participating in sporting events. We were also about a week out from his most recent announcement on or maybe actually it's been more like a couple of weeks. On the border shit, we just had that horrible fire over in Juarez like a week or so ago. Like, the Biden administration has let a lot of people down in a number of ways. There's you know, some of the drilling shit that's about to start up again in Alaska is really unsettling to me. So I agree with you. I don't like the idea that they can make this be an Orange Man bad election again. And I'm hopeful that some of what we've seen, you know, particularly like the most recent election in Chicago, you know, maybe maybe there's kind of at least room at the state level for a lot more progressive to edge out kind of centrist dims and force some consequences that way. But I also am worried about, you know, this authoritarian who threatened to jail and murder a bunch of people. I care about and like I want, I want him to spend the rest of his life tangled up in that shit.
Speaker 4: I don't know that that's what this is going to be.
Speaker 1: You know, maybe they'll they'll fail miserably here, but I don't know. I do think the kind of panic that you're getting from some people that like this handed them the election, I'm not seeing evidence that that's the case. I think that maybe if this had happened in like twenty sixteen or even twenty twenty, sure you might get something like that. But at the point where at now, I just don't think new people are coming to Trump in numbers.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it very much makes sense for the liberal state apparatus to try to defend itself from what it sees as like an insurgent, reactionary factor, right, Like that that is how they view Trump and Trump's political power, so it makes sense they will use their own powers to try to resist that from gaining control. Again, whether or not you believe the state apparatus should exist at all, or how valid you view its existence, it makes sense what they're doing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm not I am.
Speaker 1: I mean, honestly, I am surprised they committed to it because there is in part because this is a tremendous risk for Brag and the people around him. Right if if this fails, which it very well might, you know, obviously that would have could have consequences for everybody, but you know, it could have really serious career consequences for this guy. And I am surprised that you've you've got someone willing to kind of throw the dice here, and I'm hopeful that maybe that inspires especially since this case, by the way, since I'm sure people are curious. No one I've looked at who knows more about the law than me expects this to hit trial quickly. Again, Trump has all of the money in the world, and this is like probably going to be a pretty winding process outside of just the normal problems of like a rich man is being accused of a series of crimes and has many lawyers. The Secret Service has a lot to say and when and how the actual trial part of this commences, and that has a chance of extending it. So my hope is that as this kind of winds on, maybe the fact that Bragg was willing to kind of take a shot in the dark here, so to speak, inspires some of these other prosecutors who have been, you know, poking at Trump to take a swing, and maybe with enough swings, you know, it'll be like that guy we had on Troy Hurtebes and his bear armor suit. You know, you get a bunch of bikers to surround him with two by fours and just swing.
Speaker 4: Until they're all broken and he's on the ground.
Speaker 2: It'll be like that scene from a Vengers Endgame, and all of the George Soros DA's are just.
Speaker 4: Garrison, absolutely not led by George.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I've never been angrier at you right now than bringing up that fucking Avenger scene.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So, did y'all watch Trump's video response.
Speaker 2: Oh, the one that played on all of the news stations except for MSNBC.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, we should talk. I actually did not watch it. Now. I attempted to avoid that as well.
Speaker 1: Actually, well I watched it yourself to that for us, Robert, I sure did, and I have a summary of the most salient parts. First off, I think that MSNBC made the right call. They kind of summarized what was going on, but like didn't just let him speak, you know, uninterrupted, for it was like fifteen minutes, something like twenty minutes.
Speaker 4: I've interrupted, Robert, would you like to be interrupted by some plugs for goods and services?
Speaker 1: Absolutely? You and buddy, Donald Trump is a master spokesman and these are master products.
Speaker 4: Get your goal. We're back.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: It's been such a glorious, glorious time. Everyone's everybody's really feeling powerful today, mighty anyway, Trump. So, I don't know, I watched this fucking thing. I guess my overall sentiment would be kind of boring, right, This is not the level of energy or the degree of kind of like manic violent undercurrents that like his American Carnage speech had, or even that like some of his more recent speeches in front of crowds have had. I don't see. There's so many people I've watched have takes on this who are like and that. One of the joys of Twitter is you'll see some guy who's I don't know, an analyst at some newspaper be like, wow, Trump was really low energy. He seems frightened. You know, I'm telling you, this is a scared man. He's worried about these charges. And then like someone else with almost the same CV at a different place will be like wow, Trump seems angry. You know, he's about to he's about to lash back. Everybody better be ready for his counter strike. And honestly, I just thought it was like kind of perfunctory. It didn't see he certainly didn't seem low energy, but he didn't seem like he had He didn't seem like he had much to say other than kind of meander over some of his some talking points that are at this point mostly pretty lukewarm. He kind of runs through at the start of this a laundry list of right wing talking points that like the Democrats spied on his campaign in twenty sixteen, that he was subjected to fraudulent investigations from the Russia and Ukraine stuff to the impeachments to the raid on mar A Lago. And then he broadens it by talking about how the FBI and the DOJ relentlessly pursue Republicans. And I was kind of expecting him to lean more into the I am your vengeance shit that he's been doing lately. He doesn't really as much as I had expected him to in this Like you can, he kind of like dips his toes into it, But I think he's so focused on what's happening to him that he doesn't he doesn't like push that as much as I was kind of expecting. So this is what comes after him like ranting about the DOJ and the FBI relentlessly pursuing Republicans. He then kind of like goes into the election fraud claimed stuff again. He gives a bunch of lies there about the election, then about there being like ballot stuffed and all that kind of shit. Then he like pivots straight from that to talking about how Twitter purportedly worked with the Biden family to hide information about Hunter Biden. This is like debunked Twitter file shit. Yeah, update on Twitter files. Matt to Beebe has just left Twitter because post substances subseec. We do know obviously like they did stuff like say hey, please remove this video that shows Hunter Biden's penis, but also like that's not number one is not supposed to be stuff that's on Twitter. That's kind of like crossing the revenge porn line. And you know, both sides made requests that things be removed. Trump claims, and I'm not sure where he says that. There's like like somebody calculated this, but I haven't been able to find who made this calculation that if Twitter hadn't intervened against him, he would have won the national election by seventeen points. And then he's like, and that's I didn't even need that many. You know, you could have dropped that by sixteen point eight and I still would have won, which is not true. Really again, it's all just lies.
Speaker 4: It goes on.
Speaker 1: He compares the United States to a third world country because of the twenty twenty election. He calls Alvin Bragg a Soros backed prosecutor, which he does a lot. It's not true, but brag. You know, people are using Soros backed as like at least a lot of the Nazis are are really leaping on that one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they've gone back to Soros, Like yeah, they did the three parentheses for a while, like the Santis mentioned stories at least twice in his place. Yeah. Yeah, it's a big, big one for them. I mean, I think it is.
Speaker 2: It is it is a good move on their part to frame this prosecution as election interference like that is that is a smart move for them to get to funnel all of this via that narrative.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it helps keep the election fraud, all lies, lies, going. It also helps because there's been a number of like, you know, Chessa Buden who got booted in San Francisco recently is one example.
Speaker 4: But we've seen a number of like progressive.
Speaker 1: Prosecutors get elected by kind of dim and you know, center left coalitions, and that allows them to kind of connect this to one of the more successful talking points was is the purported like horrible violence in the streets of cities like San Francisco and whatnot, the like surgeon crime and liberal you know, cities with liberal prosecutors. Again, it's all bullshit, but it's not a bad tactic for tying into like, well, let's make a link between this thing Trump is claiming that's hurting him and this thing that people see every night on like Fox News that has been a pretty durable talking point for the right for several years.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: Trump makes it. There's a weird line in here where he says that like even the Rhinos and the Democrats agree that the case against him is bad.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, I suspect he's just kind of like looking at Twitter chaff there. He then kind of derails a bit by talking about Afghanistan and all of the military equipment and lives lost in the same breath, and then from that he kind of one of the things that comes up over and over in this is him talking about how embarrassing this time is for our country, how all of our enemies are laughing at us, et cetera. Like that is a I mean, he's been making that point for a long time, but it definitely it's one of those things I think is a little bit of a window into the man's thought process, because he clearly thinks and perhaps I mean it must have a degree of resonance with his base, but the idea that like America has been embarrassed because he's facing charges and because of you know, Biden's failures as he sees it over in Afghanistan and elsewhere, Like, embarrassment is a big thing he tries to get across in this that like, you know, Lady Liberty's been caught with their fucking skirt up or something like that. It's a I don't know, it's interesting to me that that's such a focus for him. There's a couple of fun lines in the part about the military. He talks about how it's woke at the top, but under him, it was able to defeat Isis in four weeks, which, man, it took years, Like we know it took years.
Speaker 4: I was there for some of it. It was a large part of that was not Americans at all.
Speaker 1: But no, no, in a large part of it was not Americans at all. There's a weird moment where he talks about the investigation over his call with Selenski and then that call where he tried to force Georgia's Secretary of State to discard votes that he's being investigated for, where he's like, this is one of like the most beautiful Trump moments of the whole speech, because he's like, you know, that perfect call I had with Selensky, I told you all was a perfect call. Where my call with Georgia's secretary of state was even more perfect. It was the best call anybody's ever had. Nobody had a problem with it. Lots of guys were listening in and they all thought it was great.
Speaker 4: It's just.
Speaker 1: He can be such a funny man. It's not even insane. It's just like, I don't know, nobody else talks like that. Nobody else describes a phone call as perfect, right, like a normal And this is maybe there's a degree of Trump's success you can see in this, But like, no normal person being accused of like having attempted to interfere with an election during a phone call would describe the call as perfect. You know, a normal call politician would refute the claims against them, would say, you know, I never did this, I never did that. You know this is taken out of context or whatever. Trump's just like it was perfect. But you don't remember the last perfect call I told you about that people thought might have been a crime. Even more perfect. This is the most perfect phone call anyone's ever had. Yeah, then we get along derailment about the Biden, like, you know, the classified document shit that got him rated. He talks about how Biden's possession of classified documents was like the worst that anyone's ever done and was criminal because he was just the vice president. But the president's allowed to do it, but everybody does it, but the way Biden did is the worst that anybody did it. Yeah, it's like, I don't know, it's there. It's not like it's not an interesting Trump speech. I don't think he's like panicked or anything. I just kind of I don't know, maybe he's just sort of like checking off a thing on the to do box. But it's not it's not one of the it's not one for the speech books, right or for the history books. I don't know the speech books. That's not a that's not a thing. That's not a thing at all. There is a really fun moment where he's like kind of late in the speech, in between him complaining about Letitia James, he like points to his sons and he's like, I got two great sons, sons both doing really great. And then he's like and bear, and then as an afterthought, he's like, Baron's gonna do a great job too, someday.
Speaker 4: He's tall, an amazing father talking of told did you see that they do? Also, they faked a mugshot of him and made him six foot five? Who faked the mug shot? The Trump campaign faked a mug shot of him to sell much that just added like several inches to his A man with no insecurities.
Speaker 1: Trump a legalist arc. I'm not saying there's nothing to be concerned about in the right wing reaction here. It is worth kind of looking at the response that has occurred has largely been fucking nonsense circus shit. Right, At most of the big rallies, particularly in New York that have happened as a result of this, there have been more press on the ground than anyone on either side of things. Yeah, it's not it's just so far not pulling people out, you know. Do I think there's a chance of you know, isolated terrorist attacks as you know, by people who see themselves as defending Trump or democracy or whatever. Certainly not a zero percent chance. But in terms of like things that I think are likely to have a mass to stabilizing effect, I'm not seeing it yet. And I think a lot of that's due just to the fact that the Trump supporters who are kind of have the highest potential of being convinced to do that shit, are all scared as hell, both of the FEDS and of each other. The sheer number of them that have like turned not each other during the j sixth investigations like has means that whenever there's talk about doing another big series of rallies, it devolves in a lot of these online places into like, well, you know, this is probably being set up by the Feds. This is probably a honeypot to trap us, which is I don't know, it's not a situation. I would say you should rely on lasting forever, but that does kind of seem to be where we are right now.
Speaker 2: One other aspect of the right wing response that I think is worth mentioning is they have is some of some of their like propagandists and political people have made the promise that since since now, since that now there's been a precedent set for indicting for former presidents. Now now they finally are able to go after Democratic politicians whenever they want. And yeah, I just I just am worried that they're going to threaten us with a good time.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, And it's it's also like it's not just threatening us with a good time, because we have seen in Tennessee right now they're forcing two Democratic legislators out for their support of gun control and like you know.
Speaker 4: Black Democratic yeah too, black Democratic legislators.
Speaker 1: I'm not, you know, in line with most of the Democratic Party on gun control. But what is happening here is anti democratic bullshit like that is it is authoritarian. It is completely fucking unacceptable, and people ought to be out in this like a lot more ought to be done, and I think probably a lot more Like I don't this that's one of the thorny questions that actually does concern me, Like what do you do in a situation like this? What do the what kind of leverage do the Feds even potentially have? It certainly doesn't look like they're in the mood to do anything now, because I think that's the kind of that's the kind of thing we're going to see a lot more of in red states in order that what little resistance at listen, and that's concerning.
Speaker 2: They're not gonna go after someone like Obama, which frankly somebody, somebody should for the amount of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, there should be charges against the man. There should be charges against Bush. Uh, you know, the doves, there should be some charges against Clinton. Fuck it, go after them, all right, yeah yeah, yeah, you dig up George H. W.
Speaker 4: Bush put them on trial as a corpse like that one. Pope Like, I'm on board.
Speaker 2: But no, they're gonna they're gonna end up going after there's like small like minority politicians who are like yeah, fighting for like reasonable things, you know.
Speaker 1: And who are doing things to actually jam up the works of kind of the march of far right. Yeah, authoritarian laws Red States exactly. And you know, I am sure that as that picks up pace, they will point out what's being done to Trumps a justification, But like people should be aware that it's not why they're doing it. They're doing it because it looks like it's going to work for them in Tennessee. And they did it in Tennessee for the reasons that had nothing to do with fucking Trump.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, Yeah. If you want to talk about like what fascism makes a big part of it, is that weaponizing of the state apparatus, right, yes, against a position against you, whatever your escapegoat group, And like that does concern me for people living in Red State.
Speaker 1: Absolutely absolutely. I'm not saying there's nothing to be worried about from the right. I'm just saying, at the moment, when I'm looking at like the way I kind of conceive of a threat matrix, I don't see us in a more dangerous position as a result of Trump getting charged. And I think an argument could be made that it's a positive move.
Speaker 4: I really hope we get another nail gun guy. Oh man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that fucking dude who tried who tried to solo the FBI with a nail gun.
Speaker 4: Maybe a net girl come in with like a jigsaw or a.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, no, no, no, I think I think ladders. I think it's it's it's time for like a ladder mob that that's that's what I'm excited to see. Ladders and like simple pulleys.
Speaker 4: It's getting pinned to a building with someone twenty feet away with a ladder. Make a make a tributchet judge, it's the Gorne has been thrown down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's let's let's have a continuing series of competitions to see who can build like the most effective medieval siege equipment. I want to see some fucking scorpions up on the hill.
Speaker 4: You know I'm going to do? Is it Greek fire? Turkish fire?
Speaker 1: When you put yeah, I mean that really that's a boy. That's like the Hums debate. James, you don't.
Speaker 4: It's Cypress fire and we can be fine.
Speaker 1: I don't know where where you guys get any of their thoughts on the Trump arraignment, indictment, arrest et No.
Speaker 4: It's very funny. I did enjoy seeing that guy fall off his tour bike. That was a highlight of the week for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was a good video from the New York Protest of a guy falling off a tall bike.
Speaker 4: Yeah, shout out to skateboard.
Speaker 2: I will, I will, let's see, I will send send a few things to the chat. This is the signal chat that I feel like people are worth seeing. This is what I spent this is what I spent most of my day doing, is sending people these memes. I think it's important that.
Speaker 1: That is that is that Ruth bader Ginsburg with a biggie crown saying, tell Donald, I want him to know it was me, Garrison.
Speaker 4: Yes, that is No, you're joking. I if I if I actually see Ruth bend again for Funck's sake, Rakai with a pussy hat. Oh god, looks like brunches back on the menu. Boys. That one I do appreciate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was there was a good one that was like it was like the jailer dropping off Trump in Epstein's cell, all all of all of all of the lights go off, and then from the corner, a man in a dark cloak says Brandonson's his regard.
Speaker 4: What a wonderful time for memes.
Speaker 1: Well, everybody, that's our that's our episode on the Trump arrest, we figured we should we should talk about that to answer the question that so many people ask me, are we closeer to having a civil war? I don't know, man, it doesn't. It doesn't feel like this. This has moved the needle on that at all.
Speaker 2: The national divorce is happening any day now, any day now, I swear like.
Speaker 1: I think the thing that's worrying right now is, you know, not just kind of the low level series of exchanges of terror attacks and shootings and murders and stuff and just street violence that I do think is going to kind of continue to be a problem up through twenty twenty four, but also just like what we've been talking about in terms of Red states pushing for these increasingly really violent laws aimed at doing direct physical harm to small groups of people that they consider to be their enemies for whatever reason of identity. That is, like the increasing criminalization of groups of people in Red States, the flight of folks from those states, the fact that you are kind of seeing the country settle into two blocks that have wildly different legal systems that are often opposed to each other. That's a conflict that is absolutely happening. There's no denying that it's occurring. This is not a debatable thing, and I don't see the FEDS having any idea of how to fix this at the moment. We'll see where the elections go in twenty twenty four. The fact that Wisconsin that their Supreme Court election went well.
Speaker 4: Means a lot.
Speaker 1: It means that that's one st where the process that we're seeing happening in places like Florida and Tennessee. That is a significant amount of people protected from that. And it also means a lot for the twenty twenty four election. But it's we are in a really rough place still. I'm not like thinking we're in at the edge of seventeen seventy six point two or whatever the fuck the right way these day, Yeah, eighteen sixty.
Speaker 4: Five or whatever. Robert Evans is going to personally be the next John Brown, Yeah, I hopefully not, But I am.
Speaker 7: I am.
Speaker 1: I think I'd be really good at a being a terrible farmer.
Speaker 4: As you read, Yeah, ehh yeah, that picture of John Brown like leading the troops will remain one of my favorite pieces.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, no, no, he's got he's got a hell of a beard in that one. Yeah, I don't know, I think the threat, you know, contain in use. But broadly speaking, what's happened to Trump is either good or neutral, but certainly funny. And that's I think a good point to end on for the day.
Speaker 8: Agreed, Brandon sends his regards, Okay, everything's recording.
Speaker 9: My cat is grooming herself.
Speaker 4: So when I was the time, very great, but she just used that.
Speaker 9: As Okay, I mean, I'm fine with that.
Speaker 4: Whatever, Okay, let's do it. That's very true, is grooming herself, and that means that this is it could happen here. And I am James Stout and I'm joined by Sharen units yes, and not not her cat.
Speaker 9: She's just she's just rowdy and I have to really sometimes plan recording times around her schedule. And it's that's just the way my life is now, and that's yeah, that's the attention she deserves. None of this is important. Yeah, you're care but it's a bit of a serious one, sadly. So I want to talk more again about the border, something we've spoken about a little bit and something I kind of want to keep coming back to because things haven't really got any better. In fact, they've potentially got worse. So where I want to start is last month and we're recording this and what the fourth of April, so just over a week ago, I think a fire and a detation the twenty eighth it okay, yeah, what's that?
Speaker 4: Three? Yeah? A week ago? A week ago today, a fire in a detention center in Suda, Juada's killed forty one migrants being detained. There were than two dozen other people were seriously injured, and every single one of the about one hundred people detained in the migrant detention center was hurt in the fire. The reason that every single person was hurt became clear and a video obtained by Texas Public Radio and later confirmed by the government in Mexico. It shows two people dressed as guards rush into the camera frame. You can see people in the cells just really pulling and kicking and beating on the bars. The guards sort of run up to the doors, but they don't really appear to make any effort to open them or to let the people out of the cells. Instead, they hurry away as clouds of smoke begin to fill the corners of the cells. Gradually, the smoke fills up the whole screen until you can't see anything else. Than the men in the cells are left to die.
Speaker 9: It's horrifying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's one of the worst deaths that's available to a human being. And the fact that people who are already incredibly desperate and have taken huge risks to get there and died like literally yards from the United States border is just it's almost kind of unfathomably cruel. But what is in a way crueler is this statement made by the US Ambassador to Mexico, Ken Salazar. He said the tragedy illustrated the dangerous grifts in traveling north, and he cited the loss of life in two recent smuggling incidents in San Antonio in the southern Mexican state of Chiapas. These cases, he said, are a reminder of the risks of irregular migration. But what we're talking about here is in a consequence of irregular migration, really right, because these people weren't in the hands of criminals or coyotes or cartels, that they were in the hands of the Mexican government when they died. And for him to blame this on irregular migration, I think is very indicative of the way the bad aministration has approached migration. Policy, which is to try and always obfuscate and shirk the responsibility for the cruel things that it's doing, for the consequences of its policies and its actions, which I want to get into more. I don't want to linger on this fire too much because a it's onfathomably awful and like I don't think it I don't. I think we need to spend hours and hours like going over something for people to know that there is no situation in which the government should burn fucking forty people alive that like it's inexcusable. We know that, like it was. The shelter was set up in twenty nineteen, and I want to get into why this shelter, which seems to have been a pretty terrible condition to begin with, was set up in twenty nineteen, Why people who claim to the United States to try and have a better life for safe for life, ended up in a shelter in Mexico, and how we've created a system where people keep dying at our southern border. Right, some of this will be stuff we've covered before. If people have listened to the other stuff I've done on the border, if people have listened to the Butterfly Sanctuary episodes. They'll be familiar with some of Biden's border policies, but I wanted to address these.
Speaker 9: Did you see that they lowered the death toll from forty to thirty eight? I guess after hospital visits, Like that's the one part that I've read that is nice so far as.
Speaker 4: That's yeah, that's good. I've seen thirty eight, thirty nine, and forty one. It wasn't sure what the exactly, so thirty eight is the news.
Speaker 9: Right now, I'm reading thirty eight after it was it was forty and it was lowered to thirty eight.
Speaker 4: Okay, well two people were re animated.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean it's I mean, it's just like they're probably a terrible condition they're having, like life changing if not like all, like it's just terrible now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And like access to care for those people, I mean those people may have access to care, right because what happened was high profile with the news, but like generally access to care for people like I have seen I've seen a person die because they don't have access to their medicines that are very cheap or very easily available. Like again, like we are talking feet, like I could throw a tennis ball into the United States and where it was stilling. And that's because the system treats people like numbers, not people.
Speaker 9: Yeah, migration center is like a jail, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: It doesn't even Yeah, it's like an old timey fucking Western jail with people crammed into cells with you know, like legit bars on the walls. So shelter conditions in Mexican detention are often very poor, and those conditions have been exacerbated by something called Title forty two. People have probably heard about Title forty two a lot. There's a lot to say about Title forty two, but very briefly, it's a trumpier of public health policy that invokes a public health rule to push asylum seekers out the US and into Mexico, regardless of whether or not they might legally qualify for asylum. This shelter was stood up as a consequence of something called the Migrant Protection Protocol. People call it the Migrant Persecution Protocol because that's more accurate.
Speaker 9: But I was going to say, like, Wow, doing a great job with that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like people enjoy being wrong about George or well, but this shit is perfectly or welly in Oh yeah, to call that policy which kills little fucking children. The migroant protectional policy is is dark they called. It's often called remain in Mexico as well, which is what it does. It requires people to remain in Mexico while their asylum claim is processed, despite the fact that this might not be a safe country for them, and that this might violate various international laws and conventions on asylum, but the US doesn't subscribe to all of those. As we're going to find out now. Title forty two has been through some legal ping pong recently, right with Biden's sort of trying to get rid of it, also defind of getting caught a bunch of conservative states suing to keep it. So it's explained a little bit of where we're at with Title forty two right now. It's actually set to expire on May the eleventh. The Biden administration is rolling out plans that will continue to restrict migrant access after May the eleventh, because they're concerned about like a large influx of migrants, which I just want to point out was always going to fucking happen when you like push people just the other side of your fictional line in the sand, and at some point you're going to have to start, because at some point, Mexico is already the third most popular country in the world for asylum, and you can't force this all on them. So since it was first implemented in twenty twenty, the government has used Title forty two to expel migrants from the US Mexico border nearly two point seven million times. That doesn't mean you will see these statistics quoted constantly, credulously by people who don't understand what the fuck they're talking about, and it really makes me angry. That doesn't mean two point seven million people, right, Because Title forty two makes people cross more than once. It creates this kind of loop where DHS right normally CBP or a border patrol sorry, picks people up and dumps them back in Mexico without processing them. And those people are now in a place they don't know, they don't have any family, that have any hope, they don't have any money, and all they do is is kick their heels until they can find a way to cross again, or someone to cross them again. And sometimes people who are facilitating those crossings will offer them unlimited crossings, so they they'll pay someone to smuggle them across, right, and that person will say, well, you get unlimited crossings.
Speaker 9: Like I didn't even realize. I didn't know it was so like standard. They're like, Okay, this is gonna happen. You're gonna get a limited crossing, you know what I mean. Like there's like they're expecting it to be this like perpetual loop.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean they a few years ago, maybe they wouldn't have done. But another way that this is sometimes termed a catch and release, which they're not fucking fish. You shouldn't do that to fish either. It's not really nice to fish.
Speaker 9: But it's humanizing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's extremely fucking dehumanizing, right, And what it does and what I've seen, what I'm not it's not like a unique insight of mine, is that it forces people to cross in more and more dangerous areas. Like you combine that with a wall and the fact that like it's very well documented that the Trump administration and wanted to maximize the amount of miles of wall that built. If you remember, in one of the presidential debates, he made a claim about a certain number of miles of a new wall he built. Yeah, he was just speaking out of his ass I foied it like the next day, and they were like they provided a number of different numbers or many of which relied heavily on repairing existing border fence, but they just went like hammer and Tong was trying to build new sections of wall to include skipping areas where it was harder to build valleys, mountains, that kind of thing. Right, So what this wall does is it forces people through the areas where it's hardest to cross, and those are the areas where it's easiest to die. And so these people are now forced to make risky and risky of crossings to try and avoid getting caught, or to wait in Mexico where they are at a very high risk of abduction or sexual assault, extortion or violence. Right, And will come on to maybe a couple of those stories later, just from people I've talked to. The result of this policy is that border cities in Mexico are flooded with migrants, and often with soldiers sent there to supposedly keep the peace. Last month, the Mexican National Guard and the immigration authorities raided a hotel full of Venezuelan migrants in Hualez. Local news applets reported that the migrants there'stly young men threw stones at the officials and there broad ensued and eventually they called off the raid. In another incident, authorities raided the church and dragged off a number of Venezuelan migrants who have been given sanctuary there. Some were beaten, and one advocate said they were essentially tortured. This prompted, yeah, this is horrific, right, like a lot of so a lot of the young men in the it was all men in the detention center that caught fire, and most of them were from Venezuela, place where I've lived in Venezuela. I have a lot of sympathy for those people.
Speaker 9: And yeah, she actually I found like a breakdown. I guess if there is thirteen Hundurians, twelve Soans, twelve Venezuelans are Colombian and an Ecuadorian, So I mean even that's crazy, like there's so many people from all of those countries. It's I don't know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we'll see a bit later that there are certain pathways, like for Venice Whalen people, there are some pathways that don't exist through other people that they're not insufficient and they're there. How do I say this unfair? But sort of they exist. But yeah, those people from from those countries. We see a lot of Haitian people at the border here too, but yeah, that's a pretty common kind of like border mix up, right of folks. Unfortunately, often you won't see Haitian folks that there are sort of segregations even within the migrant community, and often Haitian folks is kind of segregated out, which is which.
Speaker 9: Is unfortunately, Like I thought the horror as well as kind of that the population breakdown, Like wouldn't the Haitian border crossing be like somewhere else?
Speaker 4: I don't think to say it's it's not dumb at all. I don't know what the breakdown. I know there are Haitian people in Juaes. I know there are the Cuban folks in Juila's too, and they've kind of some of them have stayed in Juarez and established kind of their own communities and that's had some sort of some negative results for antimagrant feeling and Juadas. From what I've heard, I know there are a lot of Haitian folks in Tijuana. A lot of the Haitian people come via Brazil where they've spent time like preparing for the Olympics that were there and building stadium and stuff. So a lot of them tell me they've come up from Brazil. And then obviously with like increased violence in Haiti, now you'll see more Haitian people. Again, there's a decent Haitian community that also is established in Tijuana and has it's that is their home now, right, Like I.
Speaker 9: Had no idea to be honest, so now I know, I'll accept being a little bit dumb.
Speaker 4: So everyone not at all, not at all. It's not very well reported on, and I think it's honestly people have stopped reporting on it since twenty twenty as well, like since like Orange Man bad stop being like the prevailing like mass media message, no one gives a fuck about microsof anymore, Like there's a pronounced drop off when a cross of people and I don't know, there are some very good reporters, of course, you know, we've spoken to some of them in Tijuana and in San Diego. But yeah, you just there was a lot of parachute reporting on migration in the Trump era, some of it very bad, some of it by people who didn't have the language skills to be working there and didn't understand what was respectful and what wasn't and things like that. So I have strong feelings about how the migrant caravan in twenty eighteen was reported on, for instance. But yeah, you'll definitely see a ton of Haitian people and that Biden has gone exceptionally hard. I'll I'll include a link at the bottom of like a piece I wrote for NBC about Biden's anty Haitian bullshit but like exceptionally hard, specifically against the Haitian. So so you can find a tweet from the Haitia the United States Embassy in Haiti, where it's just got a picture of Biden, and I think it says, don't come I'm paraphrasing. Yeah, yeah, no, it's wild, Like you don't see this in other countries either, even you know they've made like they've made there's a ton of special exemptions for people from Ukraine. Right, it's hard not to see.
Speaker 9: That, of course, yeah, of course it's Ukraine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, right, because it's also.
Speaker 9: Great, but also you have to look at the like why did that happen?
Speaker 4: Right, And if we can't like express like Russian bombs kill kids in the m R two. Russian bombs kill kids all over fucking Africa, and if we can't have solidarity with them, or we can with Ukrainian people, then it's hard for me not to see that as to do with their skin color. Yeah, then that is bullshit, and so yeah, Title forty two were end in May when the COVID Public Health Emergency Order expires. Biden said earlier on that he would end Title forty two. He then faced these lawsuits from conservative states, but at the same time that by the administration fiercely defended Title forty two litigation brought by the ACLU and other groups challenging the policy. Even the CDC right the CDC Center for the Dida's Control was like, now the shit isn't necessary and it's cool, we should stop. The government has argued the public health concerns letting migrants into the country due to continued threat of COVID nineteen outweigh the possible harms done to migrants who return to cities like nogals Ijuana, Like you don't even need a COVID test to fly into this country now, I don't think right, Like if my family come visit me, so the end of the emergency kind of makes that a moot point, right, Like you can't have a public health order to protect us from it, which you're saying isn't a problem anymore. But the damage that this has done will take years to rectify, and the backlog that it's created is already being used as an excuse to do more cruel and inhumane things to people who are just looking for a fair crack at life. Srean, do you know what won't build a wall around itself forced people to risk their life to get here?
Speaker 9: You tell me, James, what is it?
Speaker 4: It is these silver coins that have Ronald Reagan on them, who probably outflanks our current immigration policy. Guy, yep, Uncle ron Okay, we're back, Thank you, Ronald Reagan. Or maybe it was a gold advert. I hope it was a gold eavic so I know that everyone enjoys so so much. Please don't message Sophie about the fucking gold things.
Speaker 9: We know, yeah, we know, we know, trust us, we know.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It's also it's just funny. It's funny to me that someone is buying gold adverts, and presumably none of our listeners are buying gold, and yet I have healthcare now.
Speaker 9: I mean it must be working somewhere, like you know what I mean, why how else would they afford to keep advertising. I don't know, someone's doing something.
Speaker 3: It's one guy.
Speaker 4: If you are that steadfast listener who buys everything we advertise, like so much for our projects. We salute your dedication. So Biden hasn't really come up with a distinctive immigration policy of his own yet. Mostly he's just kind of failed to undo the damage Trump is done created a two TiO system in which white Ukrainians get to slip the line while back and brown migrants weight terrible conditions, And for some reason, he's gone as hard as fuck as he can to stop patients coming here, which the reason might be pretty obvious to some of you. Oh and we're still building the wall, but we're calling it a barrier now of course. Yeah, it's totally different brand, yeah bread, Yeah, it doesn't have a little plate on the top. It's a slightly different shape. You can, like, if you scroll back far enough on my Twitter, you can find comparison pictures of the Biden barrier and the Trump Wall.
Speaker 9: But it's like literally just like a glow up, like like a terrible horrifying glow up.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, the walls having its a little it's a freedom wall now or something. But if you don't follow the Butterfly Sanctuary as well, high value Twitter account sometimes stealing automatic rifles, not stealing, i should say, but National Guard leaving automatic rifles on our property that she takes care of. But yeah, you can listen to our batter Fly Sanctuary episodes for more on like the Biden barrier. But we're more than halfway through Biden's term now, and we're beginning to see him take aim at something resembling a border policy on his own at the same time, because we're more than halfway through his term, or perhaps just because he never intended to fulfill his campaign policies about being kind to migrants, he's tried to move towards the center, and the center of US politics is like somewhere to the right of Attila the Hund these days. So he's been hit pretty hard by the Republicans on immigration, and it's worth pointing out that he's been hit pretty hard on largely on just shit that's made up or misunderstandings of this. The number of interactions that border patrol has or wilful or on wilful, I don't know, but many of the cretiques are in pretty bad faith. But nonetheless, like it's been an area where they've criticized him, right, And so he's trying to move towards the quote unquote center on that with these new policies. So he's proposed that his administration has proposed something called a transit band, So transit band, people might remember, And the initial kind of proposal of this was made by Stephen Miller due to looks like a lollipop and also like a white nationalist.
Speaker 9: That's a great.
Speaker 4: His head is too big for his neck, he's shiny. Yeah, yeah, that's not the only thing that's wrong with him. So this proposal would render migrants ineligible for US asylum if they crossed a sudden border illegally after failing to ask for humanitarian refuge in another country they traveled through, such as Mexico. Right, So unless you somehow come straight to the US, which you can't do because you can't get on a flight to the US without the correct travel documents, then you'd have to travel through another country. Right, And they're saying that you should apply for asylum there In practice, this would bar most Nonxican asylum seekers unless he took advantage to one of the programs that Biden has proposed to allow people in Nicaragua, Cuba, Haiti, and Venezuela with a US sponsor under a humanitarian parole program where they apply from their home country and then get to credentials to travel, so they'd stay in Cuba or whatever. This might not be safe for some people to do in those countries, but they have a means to get here and it's metered I think at thirty thousand a month. Those people from those same countries and during the same conditions, if they came here on their own and then applied to asylum as is, they're right under US law once they entered the country right. And it's worth noting that like most people coming in that wanted to apply for asylum, so they wanted to turn them That might have changed it law with Title forty two, but previously people were seeking to turn themselves in right and say hey, I'm here to apply for asylum. They can now be expelled under this legislation.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 4: So if they don't use this or they don't have a US sponsor, which kind of creates. You shouldn't have to know someone in America right to come here and avail yourself the basic human rights.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's just it's it's purposely like getting people out of the group that can go in, you know what I mean, Like it's excluding people.
Speaker 4: But yeah, just like yeah, right, thousands of people. Yeah, and this legislation now allows them for them to be for explanited processing and expelsion. If people do want to apply for asylum at the Southern border, they need to use an app which is called CBP one.
Speaker 9: That's just the craziest thing I've heard in a while.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it is.
Speaker 9: Like I'm on another planet, like what what I don't know.
Speaker 4: It is incredibly powerful, like Libraine to be like, don't worry, We've made the app. We've got you. Like it assumes that people have the app. It's not available in all the languages that people speaking, like of course, not like last time I was at the border, like I had I worked with a colleague who spoke a Romo. I speak French his Spocationian Creole, Spanish, Russian, Ukrainian, right, like, like those are people I interviewed in in an afternoon, you know, there are dozens of languages, so the app isn't available in those languages. The app is a giant cluster. Fuck, it doesn't work. It crashes all the time. Like you can find like little kids, little kids who come up from Tijuana to go to school, who like can tell you ten things that are wrong about this app. But you can also find people who make six figure salaries in Washington.
Speaker 9: You think it's great, right, regardless, it's a fucking app on a fucking device that is like, like, I don't know, I think it's just so.
Speaker 4: Lazy.
Speaker 9: It's lazy and stupid.
Speaker 4: I don't like it. Yes, it is both of those things, and assumes people have a cell phone, which is.
Speaker 9: Yes, very elitist, Yes exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like it maybe your phone could get stolen being fucking someone can book all these train games, like there's a million ways. It assumes you've got fucking broadband collector liberty, you know, Wi Fi, all these things. It's yeah, it's just insane, Like it's amazing how detached one can be from reality and still be the person in charge. Yeah, what if no people in charge? So migrants crossing the border without documents can be subjected to explicited removal, as it said, the proposed regulations indicate the migrants from Cuba, Nicaraguo, and Venezuela, who generally cannot be deported due to strain relations with the governments there, would face deportation to Mexico instead, which fucking just again makes someone else's problem, right. A dozen Senate Democrats called the proposed asylum restrictions unlawful and counterproductive. They joined thousands of migrant advocates and organizations, including the United Nations Refugee Agency, in employing the administration to immediately withdraw the regulation. So there's a period of public comment, which is what's happening at the moment. Right, So he's found a policy which no one likes, both from the right end from the people are allowed to live with dignity. So that's hard to do.
Speaker 9: That's hard to do.
Speaker 4: Well, you're never he's never gonna have fucking like, I don't know what they're like tramplicants want, but like it's some version of machine guns on top of a wall killing little children. And you could just be a decent person, or you could try and plicate fucking psychopathic Fox News people. So Mexico is already the third most popular destination for people seeking asylum in the world after United States in Germany. In Mexico, asylum seekers have to stay in the state where they apply, and that's resulted in large numbers people being concentrated in uh placed like Tapatula on the southern border with Guatemala, and that creates like an infrastructure issue there, right, which it's also worth I'm sure people are well aware that. I wonder why all these countries have been fucking destabilized, right, I wonder if there was a country which helped do that for deca their home, Like why can't they go back home?
Speaker 9: Like?
Speaker 4: Yeah, what I mean there? Yeah, if only the clash had written a song about its understand better. So Mexico granted sixty one percent of asylum requests from January through November last year, compared to forty six percent in the USA for fiscal year twenty twenty two. That is an increase of a low of twenty seven percent under Trump, but it's still suggested more than half the people get sent back right where the fact that they get sent back to if they can't reliably go back to their home country safely. Mexico abides by something called the Katahena Declaration, which promises a safe haven twenty one's threatened by generalized violence, foreign aggression, internal conflicts, massive violation of human rights, or other circumstances which have seriously disturbed public order. The US currently observes a narrow definition that requires a person to have been individually targeted. That's a distinct thing. Right for limited reasons are spelled out in the UN Refugee Convention. But it appears that the bad administration has plans to retrain DHS agents, and they're currently telling them, or they seem to be proposing to tell them. I should say, to let migrants enter the US to pursue protection only if they qualify under the International Convention against Torture, which is an absurdly.
Speaker 11: High yeah, like against torture. Wow, yeah, I thought you were going to say after all that. Yeah, it's it's a ridiculously high bar. Like there are very real things you could be afraid of. Like I've spoken to people who've have escaped like forced sex work, right, who've had members of their family killed, threats made to their own lives.
Speaker 4: None of those. Maybe the forced sex work is torture but maybe some of those things wouldn't meet that bar. But I think any reasonable human being, right, if you met someone in the street and they said, hey, you know, someone so killed my daughter and my father and my uncle, and they said they're going to kill me, you'd say, like, come into my house, I'll look after you. But there's a country we're saying, fuck you, You're on your own, And yeah, that's that's not how you be a good neighbor. It's also on the inside of the administration. Recently has reported that the Biden administration is considering reviving the practice of detaining migrant families caught crossing the US Mexico border illegally. So this is this is the thing that that all the people were very upset about. It the normal kids in cages thing, mm hmm. But we fucking do that again as well. I guess they likely won't do like separation of minders, which which is what they did before, right, they took the kids away from their parents entertained them separately, which is just fucking like I cannot imagine. It's still just.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's just unspeakable trauma and like just like for both for everybody involved. Uh, I mean like same with the wall though, like it's just the same thing. The same thing is happening. It's just like marketed differently. It's just like packaged in a different way, and it's still fucking terrible.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like, I just I don't know what you expect these fucking people to do, Like, and I don't know how you how you expect someone like even if you're purely self interested and you're just concerned about like US security and like you know, making America great again or whatever, Like if you lock little children up, like they're going to fucking hate you and you can't blame them, like, it's it's it's inhumane, it's it's what dictators do. It's it's fucking unfathomable.
Speaker 9: But it also like drives me, like it's just insane to think about people that are actually there in the flesh like that that see people like the children crying or something, and like just there's so much terrible things going on and no one does there's not enough. I don't know. I just I can't imagine doing that. It'll just be like, Okay, my job is this and I'm gonna continue.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 9: I don't like it.
Speaker 4: I don't like it. No, I don't like it. Idea like this, Of all the things I've reported on, and like I've reported on some dark shit and like being to some dangerous places, et cetera, nothing has been harder for me to get over than little kids at the border. Like, I have hundreds of stories about it, but I can remember one little girl. This shit makes me want to cry. I rememb there's one little girl who she had left her teddy bear behind. She wanted a teddy bear, And like this, little girls are cleaving in a fucking tent.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 4: This is in twenty eighteen, when when like the mid terms were happening. So they were holding a large group of people right next to the border, right they were staying in a baseball stadium, and myself and some friends had gone to help. And this little girl was just like the sweetest little kid that she came up. She was holding my hand and then I asked if she wanted to go on my shoulders. She wanted to go on my shoulders, you know. And at this point, the way that they were getting people to leave that area and go to another area was by cutting off their access to water. Oh my god, so like we were able to get some water, and we were able to give them like as much water as we coabin credit cards. And I asked her like what she wanted. She said she had to leave her teddy bear behind. It just fucking broke my heart, like without like you know, going into too much personal trauma. Details like that shit kept me from sleeping for weeks. Uh, and I found it so hard to come back. It was like twenty eighteen, around November, I guess, and like go to like a I remember someone's having some Thanksgiving thing and just I just wanted to fucking shout at everyone and be like what the fuck is wrong with you? Anyway? So when bought her.
Speaker 9: Devastating especially from a from a child, you know, like their their experience and their perspective is just like just I don't know, you see how rad is?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like I know, no, children shouldn't be treated about that full stop, Like we shouldn't be standing in the parking lot of a fucking Tommy Hill Figure discount store in San Diego launching tear gas a little children in Mexico is one of the like the image wh of like what America does to people that will stick with me forever. It's yeah, it's.
Speaker 9: I'm glad you were down there helping, though, like, especially according their access off to water is like the most like one of the most inhumane things, but then against sold very inhumane.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that time was difficult for everyone involved. That was also one of the most impressive. This is one of the times when large NGOs weren't allowed to operate because of various concerns and legal things. So the entirety of the aid effort for those people was done through mutual aid, right through completely ad hoc mechanisms. There were church people, people from various migrant advocacy groups in San Diego, people from Altolado who we've spoken to on the podcast. That's how I met them for the first time. Number of those people actually were surveilled by border patrol, as we found out two years later, and had warrant on them, etc. But everyone who came came like not because it was their job, because it was the right thing to do, and like, there wasn't a day I was down there that there weren't people turning up with trucks full of stuff. This is my friend and I. Someone managed to get us a projector from their workplace and how they got a projector from their workplace, I didn't care, and a bunch of DVDs. My friend used to be an electrician. And they moved everyone to a nightclub. It was a nightclub and another part of Tijuana at our old nightclub, the old and massive thousands of people were in this big kind of opening nightclub situation. It was very strange. They had the women and the young children in one area that like very clearly had been a pole dance room, so like anyway, and they had like these bars ort of like you know, like a balcony area. So we went up to the balcony area, and then me and a couple of these older kids who with the migrant group were able to get like climb across the room, find some wires connected projector and do a little make a little movie theater for the children. And they remember they were watching like Beverly Hills, Chihuahua when I left, and yeah, they were having like just.
Speaker 9: A little gestures are so important though.
Speaker 4: Like yeah, I mean, it doesn't fucking fax anything, but if they can have two hours of watching a film about a dog or whatever like not that, yeah exactly, yeah, yeah, they deserve that. They deserve a lot more than that. But yeah, it was those little nice things that made it bearable. I guess yeah, there was. I still have like fairly disturbing recollections of lots of things asking on the border. So let's just do a quote from Joe Biden, because we do do love a bit of Joe Biden. My message is this, if you're trying to leave Coolba, Nicaragua or Haiti have agreed to begin a journey to America, do not do not Just shut up at the border, stay where you are and apply legally starting today. If you don't apply through the legal process, you will not be eligible for this new parole program. Anyway, Joe Biden can go fuck himself. But I think that I hope that obviously lots of little anecdotes have helped. But we shouldn't see these people as statistics or numbers, and we should see them as people. So I've got a couple of interviews I've done, and to just one as I went back to some notes and found so I was just going to read them out, so I won't give their names just for their own security. But sometimes I've used pseudonyms on the publicies. Sometimes I have used the names when they're willing to use their names, like it's their choice, right, but it should always be their choice. If you're a fucking reporter and you're filming children without their consent or their parents consent.
Speaker 9: And the rest camp they're not just a spectacle for your story.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly. You can jog on and I hope someone throws your camera in a river. So here's one. I have three daughters, aged thirteen, ten and six. I've always had my own business selling food, and I paid what we would call extortion money, but with the pandemic, I couldn't pay well. I go over three or four months. They said that I didn't pay, they were burned down my shop and me and my daughters would be raped and killed. With what little I had left, I left with my daughters. It's hard to get work here. That's an immigrant. There are some jobs, but not the sort that are for me. I have to try and be an example to my kids. One day I was juggling by the traffic lights and some guys tried to pick me up. They said they knew where I lived and they would hurt me and my daughters, who I didn't work for them. They made me work in a bar. I escaped, but that's how I broke my hand. I didn't want to go to the US, but I need to leave this country now for the same reason I left my own. Well, then I'll read one more. We came from one daughters to flee the violence. We have come to this camp in the last few days, but it's scary here. We don't feel safe. There are people coming or taking photos of the children of the women. Men of for the women here money to go with them. They tried to get them to sleep with them. It's a woman here filming us as well. We found out she's a big activist for Donald Trump. This was in twenty twenty one. Some people came to snatch a child here. Between the group, we're working to make a security committee to protect the children because there are people who would take the children here. We aren't a caravan. We're just people from all over the world who have come here for a better future. We're asking Biden. We know it's complicated and he has a lot to sort out, and we have patients. We know he has to make compromises, but please think of us here. We're in danger. Please give us a solution.
Speaker 9: It fucking heartbreaking.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is heartbreaking. Shit. I wish there was like some kind of happy ending I can put on this, or like, I don't know. There are great things you can do with mutual a groups. There's a group that I'm hoping to interview next week called Bordlands Relief Collective in San Diego who do kind of a lot to help people crossing the border. There are groups like Altolalo you can donate to the public. Comment is still available for the Biden to propose new restrictions, so I guess you can come out of that if you think that will help. I guess this is an area sometimes where talking to politicians might help, because they make the laws that affects people's right to kind of live with basic dignity. But yeah, I don't have a great solution to this, especially like if people aren't in a place where they know people here are struggling to get by. I understand that not everyone can afford to donate, of course. Yeah, but yeah, this is pretty bleak. And just because it's not like being beamed into your living rooms anymore, because orange Man bad doesn't mean that lick it's still not impossibly cruel.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's I mean, just because another old guy took over doesn't mean like the same things are already there. It's not like they just poofed into thin air like all the terrible things that are already happening. That's what I don't understand, is like people just assume. I don't know what they assume. I'm not going to amble on like that. But it's heartbreaking, and you should donate if you can.
Speaker 4: Uh, yeah, donate, do you stuff, shout at people, do whatever you think. We'll make a difference, because it's pretty bad.
Speaker 12: Welcome to it could happen here a podcast coming live, not live, really not. I need to come up with a better bit than coming to you live, but coming coming to you from from from now Fallen apparently on fire destroyed Chicago, so so so say the media, oracles, soothsayers and cops who live in the city who are now absolutely convinced that the city is going to descend into crime and chaos, etcetera, et cetera.
Speaker 3: After the cop candidate got absolutely blown the.
Speaker 12: Fuck out in the last elections, and yeah, with me to talk about this election and a couple of other elections that happened on the same day that were very funny and where the worst people in the world got absolutely destroyed. Is Ali, who is one of my friends and is an election analyst. Yeah, welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: How are you doing. I'm doing well. Thank you for having Mima. Nice to be nice to be here. Yeah, I'm very excited. Yeah, because this is just very funny. It's extremely funny. I personally was really enjoying getting to read the Twitter tea leaves. You could tell kind of which aldermen were having meltdowns on election night.
Speaker 12: Yeah, So I guess I guess we could start with the stuff that happened in Chicago, which is that Paul Vallas, the butcher of the public education system, running dog of a cops, the hero of J six people. I was just kind of slacked in an election by Brandon Johnson, the sort of progressive candidate who I'm very excited I no longer have to pretend that I like particularly much.
Speaker 3: Yes, now, as as Mia, says Paul Vallas. Resident Dino from Palos Heights, a southwest suburb of Chicago, who conveniently bought an apartment in Chicago exactly a year before the election, which is how long you have to live in Chicago to be the mayor. Lost the runoff to Brandon Johnson, a black progressive who was on the Cook County board. About when all the results are done coming in in a couple of weeks, it'll be about fifty two percent for Johnson and forty eight percent for Vallus. As Mia says, this lets to a lot of people on the left no longer have to keep up the charade of, oh, Johnson's the best thing that has happened to us in slice bread. For if you are like more of a like Democratic Party loyal progressive voter, this is a very very good thing in your eyes.
Speaker 12: Yeah, And I think, you know, I think it's something very interesting and kind of fitting about this, which is that, Yeah, one of the you've talked about is that, yeah, like Brendon Johnson is the first like progressive TM mayor Travers had since like I mean literally since Harold Washington, who was the first black mayor in the eighties. And it's very interesting also because a bunch of the reforms that Harold Washington did were specifically overturned by Paul Vallis. Yeah, like he's the guy you did a bunch of educational reforms that fucking sucked, that destroyed Washington stuff.
Speaker 3: It's no, it's it's really wild. How like Chicago politics is analogous to go really out there for a second. Is analogous to the state of Hawaii in the sense that people never die. Have the same people are going to be on your ballot for fifty years and you just kind of have to suck it up and deal with it. But every so often someone good comes along, or at least someone better, And if you get them into office the first time, and if you get them to survive their first reelection campaign, then they get to be one of the people who's on the ballot forever and who never dies. And slowly but surely you can make Chicago politics less shitty. But yeah, as Mia said, this is going to be the first progressive Chicago mayoral administration since Harold Washington. And Johnson won the same way as Harold Washington did. On Yeah, the backbone of Johnson's coalition, just as with Harold Washington's, was black voters. Johnson got about eighty percent of the black vote. Because in Chicago elections are usually more about race than anything else. But in addition to the black vote, Johnson won with progressives in white and non black communities of color, as well as LGBTQ voters, and finally fulfilling the dreams of the Here's how Bernie can still win people from twenty fifteen. A actual turnout surge of millennial and Gen Z voters the Chicago Board of Elections is. I don't think that anyone would call them great, but they do produce some nice live statistics on election day as the votes are tallied, and voters under forty five had a turnout surge of I think it was about twenty percent, whereas voters older than sixty, the raw number of their votes actually went down. And this likely does almost entirely account for Johnson's margin of victory, that he was able to turn out young voters and that old people just like stayed home.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I think it's also you know, we talked about this in the episode we did about Paul Vallis, But one of the things about the initial election was that like the fact that Johnson made it out of the primaries at all with a genuinely nightmarorish like age like bracket of turnout in the first round is sort of a miracle, but you know, it got a lot better for him in this one, and that genuinely seems to have like I don't know, like I know a lot of people who spent a lot of time like canvassing their assets off and it actually seems to have worked. And I don't know, I mean, you know, it has to be seen the extent to which this was about, like the fact that Vallas is like probably would have been the worst mayor of Chicago in like.
Speaker 3: We don't have to go we don't have to go back that far. Daily was mayor of Chicago as recently as twenty eleven. That's true, but I I don't know Daily.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean it's not like Chago has good mayors, but I think he would have been Okay, here's I think he would have been the most politically far right mayor Chicago has had in a long time. Oh yeah, Like he's just a Republican, like like a pretty like yeah, and you know that fucking sucks, but he got Clawbard. There's also there's a really funny result I want to talk about, which.
Speaker 3: Is that Okay, so.
Speaker 12: The part of Chicago, the neighborhood of in Chicago where the Cubs Stadium is is right next to Boystown, which is the fucking gay district. And if you if you go in and look at like, well I say, I say, it's the gay district, like a lot a lot of it's. It's it's it's now the rich gay part of Chicago because I think it's got priced out.
Speaker 3: Well it kind of is. It's not Market Park is the rich gay part of Chicago.
Speaker 4: That's true.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's more of.
Speaker 12: A rich kay part Chicago than it was like forty years ago, fety years ago. Yeah, but like like literally exactly split. You can like you can like see in the data exactly split down line, the gays voted for Brandon Johnson and all the people and all the Cubs fans voted for Vallas.
Speaker 3: It's so funny, it is. It is extremely funny. And I will give a quick shout out here to the Chicago Urbanist Twitter account who made what I personally think is the funniest meme to have come out of the election, which is a bunch of like stick figures and just like black and white labeled Vallas voters running from a like steamroller, a pink steamroller with a rainbow like wheel being driven by a bunch of gay people, and the steamroller is labeled boys Down.
Speaker 12: It's really good, like they I don't know, like there is this sort of like this is sort of like this is the coalition that well, I mean again, we talked about it like this, this is the hair washing coalition, Like, this is the coalition that if you're an elect electoral list, like you need to produce something that looks like this if you want to have any serious chance of winning.
Speaker 3: And yes, yeah, and the fact that it actually worked is sort of Oh, it's a goddamn miracle. Yeah, this shit never works. People have been trying to do this for like forty fucking years and it never works. I mean, you've been trying to do this for forty plus years. But it's also like this is really the first election that I can think of anywhere since Barack Obama's reelection in twenty twelve, where like, this is the coalition that actually puts someone in like an office that got a lot of national attention and that mattered. That's not to say that it like literally hasn't happened anywhere else. I'm just saying I can't think of any off the top of my head. But like, in twenty twelve, Barack Obama became the first person to be elected president of the United States with less than forty percent of the white vote, a feat that has never since been repeated. Clinton got less than that and lost. Trump obviously won, and Biden won because white voters swung left in twenty twenty. So like, this is a turnout and coalitional puzzle that most people fail to put together and that Brandon Johnson miraculously pulled off. Yeah, And I think, on the.
Speaker 12: One hand, okay, this is legitimately kind of because the result is not the thing that normally happens. It is legitimately an interesting question as to why this happened, and like a sort of like legitimately kind of difficult like political science question. On the other hand, most of the people attempting to answer it have just all my fuck God, Like if I if I have to read another New York Times article writing about this that's like like just clearly cobbled together from three Wikipedia articles, Like I'm gonna literally go insane.
Speaker 3: I think you, me and every other person in Chicago, you know, no matter if you were a Johnson voter or a value voter, or someone who stayed home. We can all come together in our hatred of that five thirty eight piece that was strong on the morning of election day. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you're lucky, and I'm not going to tell you.
Speaker 12: If you really want to, I'll give you a very brief summary of it, which is that five.
Speaker 3: No, no, we don't know. They did. They did. They did a racism.
Speaker 12: They did.
Speaker 3: That's what I'll leave it at. They did a racism and they were very wrong. They basically did the four races, white, Black, Latino, and leftist. Yeah, which is very funny. But hopefully, I hopeful I'll take a stab at explaining what happened, and hopefully it's better than most people's explanation. But I think part of it is that, as I mentioned earlier, historically Chicago elections have been about race, and like this was no exception. This was much more of an ideological break. Like the ideological lines were a lot clearer in this election than previous mayoral races. But the foundation of Brandon Johnson's electoral victory was the eighty percent of the vote that he got in black majority neighborhoods. Black voters in Chicago selected the black candidate because they looked at the white guy and said, oh, we think you're going to be a massive dipshit. And beyond that, you have a couple of other things working in Johnson's favor, So like one, when it comes to the youth vote, I cannot really believe I'm saying this because I when this was announced. It's not that I thought it wouldn't help. It's just that I wasn't sure that it would help enough. But Johnson got a lot of national progressive figures to endorse him, including Bernie Sanders, and his campaign literally flew Bernie in for a rally on a college campus here in Chicago. And I think that genuinely did actually get a lot of young people to realize that there was an election that they should pay attention to, which is well because like.
Speaker 12: Like like this happened, Like people fly in Bernie a lot and it never matters, but it like it mattered here, which is sort of amazing. Absolutely, like just a lot of this election was wild. I think the other thing that really helped Johnson was that a like Chicago is a lot less white than it used to be, which is not something that usually gets said in this day and age, because Chicago is becoming white than it was like ten fifteen years ago. But Chicago was a lot less white.
Speaker 3: Than it was in the eighties when Harold Washington was elected, and so like there was more of a ceiling on Paul Vallas's vote than Harold Washington's opponents had, which meant that Vallas had to be able to appeal to not just white voters who reflexively were against any black candidate, but he also had to make inroads in Hispanic Asian as well as Black communities and trying to get the black conservative vote, and he didn't. Vallas didn't do a terrible job here, but he just didn't do a job that was good enough. He actually probably won the Latino vote, it would. It wasn't like a huge win, but it was a win. But the problem is that turnout in on the Southwest side of Chicago, which is where the majority of Chicago's Mexican American residents live, was just super low, just like really really atrociously in the tank, like to the extent like this is the kind of turnout that fires the online jokes about how no one ever bothers to vote level bad turnout on the Southwest Side, So if Hispanic turnout had been on the same level as white and black turnout, the race probably would have been a lot closer. Vallas also won Chinatown, which is something that got a fair amount of attention on social media. But Johnson was able to win the two other Asian ethnic enclaves in Chicago, which are the Vietnamese neighborhood in Uptown called Asian Argyle, as well as the Deci neighborhood on the far North Side. And I don't think we can really say how Asian voters overall voted definitively because Asian voters in Chicago are pretty well diffused through the city. But it's very clear that Vallas did not get the runaway win with Asian voters that Eric Adams, for example did in New York City.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and I specifically want to talk about Argyle for a bit, because the fact that Johnson won Argyle is fucking insane.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, these are like, like, this is a community of Vietnam War refugees, Like these people are hardline anti communists, Like you go into these restaurants and they all have Fox News on, so like, yeah, Johnson winning these voters is incredible.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean like like one of the most famous noodle shops, there was a guy who was at January sixth, like this is this is a like a stereotypically unbelievably dog shit place for Johnson. And yeah, and I want to say this about Chinatown and this is something like I mean you just you can know this something like I've been tracking for a while, I mean just by like walking through it Chinatown during the pandemic and kind of after it, and it was having a bit before has gotten just notably more fascist, Like oh yeah, there is a lot of stuff there. I mean, the anti homelessess stuff is really really really intense. They've been going really hard on the d And that's the thing that kind of makes sense, right, like this this is a thing that you would kind of expect out of like yeah, of course small business owners are going to like go right like that's like that's that's you know, that that's the you can you can you can find Marx writing about this phenomenon in like eighteen forty eight, right like this this has been a thing since the beginning of time. But I don't know, it's gotten, it's gotten legitimately kind of scary down there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and like a lot of it also, I think was you know, there's been a divergence between how the North Side Asian enclaves like the Dusty Neighborhood and the Vietnamese neighborhood have responded to this kind of stuff versus Chinatown, especially on the other big social change that happened during the pandemic, which was the twenty twenty Black Lives Matter protests. I think from what I saw, like the reaction on the North Side among these Asian enclaves was pretty overall supportive of the protests, whereas down in Chinatown as well as in McKinley Park, which is a Hispanic majority neighborhood but has a pretty significant Asian population, those neighborhoods had this really really big like surge of anti black racism in response to the protests. Like there were quote unquote neighborhood watch groups that got formed.
Speaker 4: And it was just it was bad.
Speaker 3: And you know, the Vietnamese voters on argyle, even though they're very like you know, they have Fox News on like I said, and they're really anti socialist ante communists, there was a state rep. I am probably going to butcher his name, for which I apologize, but I'm pretty sure his name is pronounced han when who is Vietnamese himself, and he won the seat last year in twenty twenty two, and like he's very progressive. So there has been this very sharp divergence in how the Asian neighborhoods in Chicago have responded to some of the social events of the last few years.
Speaker 12: Once again by people, the Great Nation of China has followed into social imperialism.
Speaker 3: I think the last thing that really should be talked about in the context of Johnson's electoral win, and when we come back we can talk about the City Council because that's also pretty interesting. Is that something that if you want to watch elections, especially if you want to watch Chicago elections, something you should understand is that the capital m machine in Chicago is pretty much gone now and Brandon Johnson's win pretty much seals this. And it's not that the people are gone or that like the you know, the logistical operations of the machine are completely dead. But the machine has now lost two elections in a row. Because as much as Laurie as much as Lauri Lightfoot sucked, and she sucked so much. She also was an anti machine candidate, like she was like capital a anti machine when she ran. And Brandon Johnson is not anti machine in the way that Laurie was, but he definitely was not the candidate of like the machine. So like they lost two elections in a row. Mike Madigan has now been like indicted and he's probably going to prison for a very long time.
Speaker 12: You should explain who Mike Madigan is because Okay, if you live in Illinois, like you know who Mike Madigan is. If you don't live in Illinois, Mike Madigan, for my entire life, for like the lives of people who are much older than me, has been like the most the single most powerful political figure in all of Illinois.
Speaker 3: Like he runs everything.
Speaker 12: Yeah, like he has like an iron grip over everything that has happened in this state for like forty years.
Speaker 3: Yes, And he finally got indicted on some federal like charges of like I don't even remember what the charges were, but it was very like al Capone esque of like, yeah, we finally found something to nail you on, so we're going to And so he got indicted last year, and it is actually pretty impressive, Like how quickly his machine fell apart. Yeah, like he just he didn't have an air ready to take control. And so it's not that like machine politics has gone from Chicago. It's more that instead of a machine, there are now going to be a bunch of smaller machines, which is going to make it easier for like normal everyday people to actually have some saying the political process, which is a good thing.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and like the the chocolate machine fucking sucks ass. I mean, like we talked about val like I mean, Vallas was a machine guy, right, yes, absolutely, and you know, and it is like the thing, the the the machine has two values and it's corruption and neoliberalism.
Speaker 3: And honestly, like not even neoliberalism so much anymore. It's mostly just corruption.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean, they they've kind of I would say, I think they've gotten less ideological over the last twenty years. M hm, Like well, like I think the last decade and a half. But they yeah, they really they really fucked it, like Chicago was like the political machine, and you know, like I mean like they're in large part responsible for the creation of Obama's career and they've parlayed that into losing to like the least popular mayor in like a generation, and then losing again branded like somehow to Brandon Johnson, and it's I don't know, they've they've they've failed spectacularly and fuck them, they're awful.
Speaker 3: And I yeah, yes, absolutely they Yeah. Fuck these guys.
Speaker 12: They've they've robbed, they've they've rubbed the working class for too fucking long.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, fuck these guys, good riddance. The world will be better when they're dead. Yeah. Do you know what else the world would be better than? If you know? Okay, that that was that was That was not my that was not my best effort. I apologize.
Speaker 12: But the world's question mark. Maybe better place if you buy these products and services question mark. I don't know if I'm legally allowed to say that.
Speaker 3: We'll see. Anyways, here's some bads and we are back.
Speaker 12: Yeah, we should talk about what Johnson actually wants to do. Well, do you want to get into that? Would you want to talk about the city council first?
Speaker 3: I think they actually overlapped pretty well, So like we can, let's let's run through what Johnson says he wants to do and we can then talk about how much of that might happen. So Johnson, like we were talking about, is definitely going to be the most progressive mayor in Chicago's history in terms of what he campaigned on. At least this was a crime election, Like the dominant issue was crime, and Johnson did not say the words defund the police. In fact, he actually explicitly said that he would not cut the police budget. But aside from like those literal words, he very much is in line with the progressive priorities of de emphasizing like using people with guns to go through like six weeks of training or whatever. So he wants to pass a bill called Treatment Not Trauma, which is replacing cops with mental health responders for nine to one one calls about mental health crises. He wants to pass another bill called the Peacebook Ordinance, which would expand restorative justice and violence intervention like projects and programs in the city. And he also wants to pass an ordinance to put somegnificant restrictions on police department raids and like the police department's just actual ability to do raids altogether. There is a very infamous contract here in Chicago called the Shop Spotter Contract, which is this dumb software that is supposed to be able to like tell police when a gun goes off, and like, as far as I can tell, doesn't And it's just like straight up doesn't work. So Johnson wants to get rid of that. He also wants to eliminate the Gang Database, which, if you are from Chicago you probably know what we're talking about. Is this very infamous list of about one hundred and twenty thousand people, ninety five percent of whom are either black or Latino. And they are on this list called the Gang Database, more or less because one day some random Chicago police officers decided to put them on the list. It's very dumb, it's very racist, it's very blatantly unconstitutional, and hopefully Brandon Johnson is able to get rid of it.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and these are and these are all things like you know, as much as we can talk about the extent to which like is you know, as most as we can we can talk about the sort of the complicity of like mental health responders and the police system wherever the fuck, Like these things would all like make a lot of people's lives better and making the police weaker, and you know. I mean, one of the things about this election, right is that the people who are actually affected by crime vote for Johnson.
Speaker 3: The people who are not affected by crime at all all voted for Vallice.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 12: And part of the reason for that is that, like, Okay, if you're in a place like in Chicago that has a bunch of crime, you were dealing with, like you're dealing with the crime, you're dealing with a lot of people getting shot, which is fucking shit. Then you're also dealing with the CPD, who are like function most of the time, are functionally a cartel about every like we're kind of due for another set of like prosecutions for them, Like roughly every like seven or eight years, there's a massive series of IRA by the FBI or like the fence come in and like discover that there's like a giant there's a giant artelle operating out of the CPD.
Speaker 3: We've talked about this discover and discover in air quotes because everyone knows, oh yeah, everyone knows.
Speaker 12: And then you know, the Chicago police in particular are very famous for the Code of Silence, which is that every single person, if a cop commits a crime, every single other cop will cover for them, going right up to the like the top of the ladder of the police chiefs and all the way down to like dipshit like like beat cop, and you know, and so you know, like if you're a person who has to deal with these people, and oh, it sucks. It fucking sucks. And like the Chicago is kind of in many ways not the ground zero, but like a ground zero for a phenomenon where you have these poor neighborhoods of color. Who you know, the people who live in these neighborhoods, they are simultaneously over policed and under police because the police don't bother to show up half the time when like they're theoretically needed, right like someone gets shot, you call nine one one, and the cops don't bother showing up for hours if they bother showing up at all. And at the same time, when they do show up that you often cause more problems than they solve. Like Chicago has really truly horrific clearance rates of violent crime. And this is mostly because CPD just insists on maintaining this really awful balance. You know, if you do believe in police, you want there to be a pretty healthy balance between beat cops and detectives. Right.
Speaker 3: Well, this Chicago Police Department, there almost are no detectives left, Like it's almost all beat cops, and so there's not many resources that go into actually investigating crimes that can't be solved by someone just walking around or driving around in a patrol car. So these neighborhoods, like you know, you go down to the South Side or the West Side, a lot of these A lot of the residents in these neighborhoods would tell you, because they're not leftists, right, so they would tell you that they want more police officers, but they don't want more beat cops necessarily, like they want more detectives, and they want officers who are actually going to care about them as people. Unfortunately, the Chicago Police Department is made up of fascists. So like, ugh, you know, low chances on that front. But it's like that is the problem these neighborhoods are facing, is that like the police don't bother to care, and when they bother to show up, they often make things worse.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and I think, you know, but I think everything that's sort of important here, right is like you get a lot of you know, like it's very easy for people to be like, oh hey, look, actually these people want more police.
Speaker 3: But it's like, you know, when you look at what there was a somebody taken.
Speaker 12: Right before the election that was talking about voters like what their preference is on like what their sort of opinions on crime are. Oh yeah, yeah, I know, yeah you're talking about I think it was like only eighteen percent of the people who said that crime was important to them one in war cops and almost everyone. We know. Part of part of it was like they like one of their big consernives was legal guns. And then the other big conserve was just like the fact that there's these places are really poor and there's no opportunities for.
Speaker 3: People because it's like there's there there aren't economic opportunities. There are so many guns just on, you know, just lying around in these communities, and obviously that's a problem throughout the country, but it's especially bad in low income neighborhoods in Chicago. And the other thing was mental health, like you know, and that's one of the other things that Johnson wants to do is he wants to reopen the mental health clinics that got closed down by rom or rom Emmanuel, who is a previous mayor of Chicago, who is currently being inflicted upon the people of Japan as the US ambassador, and you know they deserve it.
Speaker 12: This is this is this is what you get for siding with the CIA, You fucking fucking dipshits. Man. Like, if label Democratic Party didn't want to have to get to deal with Rob Emanuel, they shouldn't have taken all that CIA money.
Speaker 3: But yeah, like Johnson wants to you know, reopen these mental health clinics. He wants to increase funding for public schools, which have very much not gotten the funding that they need in Chicago for the past several decades at this point. He also wants to expand public transportation in Chicago. Like there are a lot of proposals flying around for expanding the train lines and bus lines and bike rid There are also, as me and I were talking about before we started recording, there are a lot of lead pipes like water pipes in Chicago. Yes, and and like Chicago is like supposed to be replacing them, it's proceeding very slowly. Johnson wants to speed that up. There's like just very genuinely a lot of research on the books directly linking lead poison into a lot of social problems, and so it's very much one of these things where it's like, you know, if you replace the lead pipes, crime will go down.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I want to talk a little bit about the infrastructure stuff for a second, because like I okay, in the in the last three years, Chicago's public transit system has just been fucking imploding.
Speaker 3: Oh there are it's so bad.
Speaker 12: There are. There are reasons for this, some of which I can talk about, some of which I can't. Like, partially was depend Partially there's the pandemic and that like a bunch of the people who supposedly running the system fucking died because you know, they got forced to work during the pandemic. But like you know, you'll like trains just won't show up. There are buses that are basically unusable because it's it's like you're basically sitting there trying to roll double ones as to whether the bus will fucking show up at all. The wait times are enormous, Like it's a real shit show, and like it's it's substantively way worse than it was when I was in this and like fifteen nineteen. Yeah, it's really really bad and it's it's atrocious.
Speaker 7: Yes.
Speaker 3: The other factor that's to be talked about there is that, like, so the Chicago public transit system is not free like most systems, Like it is funded by writer fairs. Like it's very Yeah, it costs a lot to get on Comparatively, it costs a lot to get on the train, are going on a bus. And one of the kind of like self reinforcing cycles has been playing out the last few years is that Chicago also has a really bad homelessness problem. And this is directly linked to the fact that the city just does not want to give people housing. And so what ends up happening is that a lot of Chicago's homeless residents, especially in the colder winter months, they end up on the trains, especially the two lines that run twenty four hours a day. And you know, these are people who are really you know, they're living in really really terrible conditions, Like they don't have regular access to clean food and water, let alone like clean access to like like regular access to like hygienic facilities. And so ridership really plummeted on the lines where homeless people started to like just go on in order to stay warm, and so you get the hit because rider fares are now down because people don't want to deal with being on the same train line as homeless people who you know, frankly just don't smell that good or have mental health problems. And the city doesn't want to give these homeless people housing, let alone like even like smaller things like like access to bathing facilities or healthcare or anything like that. And so it becomes a self reinforcement cycle of now fares are down, so there's less investment, so more people abandon the system, and it is the same were like this will this would get solved if Chicago committed to giving homeless people housing, but that's just not where the city has unfortunately been.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and I mean, you know, and what what's happening instead is like, you know, increasing anti homeless architecture. Like Chicago train stations fucking suck ass because they're all designs so that's impossible to sit on anything.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, there are only two benches in each station.
Speaker 12: It sucks some man, these stations like it's so bad, like it's just awful. Like one of the things that Chicago has is they have these, like you know, it gets really really culture in the winter, so they have these like warming stations so that when it's like fucking negative twenty out, you can be in the warming things, but there's no They intentionally make it so there's no benches in them, so you can't sit in them. Yeah, it sucks, like it's it's you know, it's they have this really just like the hatred of homeless people is turned basically into a war against all society waged the city, and yes, it's atrocious.
Speaker 3: The good news is that Brandon Johnson wants to pass an ordinance called Bring Chicago Home, which would put a tax on property transfers for like I think it's like homes that are worth over a million dollars that and the money from that tax would go entirely to funding programs for the city's homeless residents all the way up to and including permanent shelter or like permanent housing solutions. So you know, you know, fingers crossed on that one, because that, I think, along with the public safety measures, is really the thing that the city needs the most. And Johnson also on the housing front, he wants to liberalize zoning laws, which I know is a very big debate on the left at the moment about, you know, how we go about approaching building more housing. Johnson very much is on like the probe development end of things. He wants to liberalize zoning laws and make it so that it's easier to build multi family housing and previously like single family housing zoned areas. He does also want to pass just cause for eviction, so like your landlord would not be able to throw you out just because, which is a good thing. Chicago's landlords are really shit. They're terrible. I have seen across the born terrible.
Speaker 12: Yeah, like I God, like, I have seen ship doing tenant organizing that is like like things that make me like have to control my reflex to vomit just remembering them, yes truly.
Speaker 3: But yeah. The other thing, and that's something that will matter to you if you are living in Chicago very much, is that Johnson wants to cap property taxes. So one of the things that has been driving a lot of reactuctionary politics in Chicago is that property taxes here are linked to inflation, which means that if you are a property owner in Chicago in the last couple of years, your property taxes went up by like fifteen plus percent, which understandably made a lot of people mad because you know, if your taxes go up by that much that fast, you at least wanted to be going to do something good and under our previous well soon to be previous mayor Lord Lightfoot, that absolutely was not happening. Yeah, cop over time or some shit like Yes, So Johnson is he campaigned on decoupling property taxes from inflation so they would no longer just automatically go up, which would bring a lot of financial relief to a lot of Chicago families. And also he would basically like wants to pass a lot of taxes focused on wealthier residents as well as big businesses to help fund some of the programs which brings us to the City Council. And how much of a chance he hasn't getting this past, which is better than you might think if you are familiar with Chicago politics. Something that surprises people who don't live in the city is that Chicago is not run by progressives. There has actually pretty much never been a progressive majority on the City Council, and there isn't there will not be a progressive majority on the new one. That comes in with Johnson. He is going to be presiding over a minority government in parliamentary terms, which I think we should use more often because I'm a nerd and I find it fun. But basically, there are fifty members of the Chicago City Council. They are called aldermen because we insist on having a city council that is the size of a state legislature here, and about twenty two of them are going to be aligned with Johnson mo less, so he's going to be three votes short on a lot of things. At least from the beginning. He is going to be negotiating with the black political establishment here in Chicago, which is one of the smaller machines that is left in the aftermath of Madigan's indictment. And we are going to see how this goes. Some of those black aldermen are friendlier to Johnson from the get go, partially because of ideology and partially because a lot of them just like personally know him and like him. Some of them are very against him for similar reasons, like they either ideologically don't line up or they just dislike him on a personal basis.
Speaker 12: Like we should talk, we should say a little bit about Johnson's not like some kind of like political political outsider.
Speaker 3: No, He's been around. He's kind of.
Speaker 12: He has like interesting relations with the old sort of like prep Winkle like labor machine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's definitely like Johnson is definitely part of a machine. His relationship with like the old machine was very bad, but he is definitely part of a machine that is tied up and like the institutional labor unions that have a lot of sway and democratic politics here, including the Chicago Teachers Union, which, like you know, Vallas's whole stick during the run off was that Johnson would be a stooge for the teachers Union, and the teachers Union really just like the teacher This is actually kind of funny because like the Teachers' Union really just swept the board here, not just with Johnson, but with like a lot of the city council races where they weighed in. So if you are a member of the Chicago Teachers Union who does not approve of their leadership, buckle up, because the next several years they are going they are almost certainly going balls to the wall of like, well, if we can get a mayor, we can get a lot of other people too.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and we should mention here that so a lot of the other unions in Chicago like are kind of ah yeah, they range an ad to shit. Chicago Teachers' Union got taken over by this group called Core, who are like a sort of rank and file like left e Like I think I think a good way to understand Core is that like with the caveat that, like teachers in Chicago really don't make that much money in the grand scheme of things, so like income wise, this is not line up. But these people are very much like kind of resistance liberals on steroids. Like they're not going to be like frontliners and a socialist revolutionary time soon, but like they are definitely on the far left of the Democratic Party coalition.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, and we should like they're not like.
Speaker 12: Like they are. They are like I don't know, I have complicated feelings on them from the sort of anegicates perspective. They're like they're they're as good of a thing of like union people as like you currently have. Again, we've talked about this, this could change within and you very quickly. But yeah, they've they've been responsible for pushing a lot of things that are very good. Yes, and they've they've they've turned the union into like I mean, well it's okay, so like one thing to talk about. Like they actually do go on strike, which is the thing that a lot of unions struck don't like.
Speaker 3: They go on strike.
Speaker 12: They do. They do political things that are usually pretty good. And they are an actual sort of like they're an actual class base for things getting better.
Speaker 3: Yes they are. The Chicago Teachers Union is definitely like a net good force in city politics and something that also, like CTU, gets a lot of negative attention even on a national level. And so something that surprises people who don't live in Chicago, if they know about the Teachers Union at all, is that the CTU is actually very popular among the cities or residents like most like people love the Chicago Teachers Union. Like when the teachers last one on strike, the public was over overwhelmingly on their side, which is why they won. And c TOU also like their twenty nineteen strike against Lory Liefoot was very much like the inspiration that touched off a lot of the teacher strikes that happened in red states over the next several months, Like they very much kind of led the way in some in some areas, like so they are like like Mia, I have complicated feelings about the CTU, but overall they're a good thing for city politics and like they make Chicago a more progressive place.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and this has been true for like a while too, like like to the extent that when like I think back in twenty twelve, Core was like, like, oh sweet, what did you But back back when Court sort of first taking home was first doing their strikes, like even the CTU people were surprised about the extent to which like when they went out, like the streets turned into a party, Like people actually really do like them.
Speaker 3: Like I mean the cops don't but like fuck them, Like.
Speaker 5: People know the.
Speaker 3: Cops don't like them, and to see to use credit, most Chicago teachers dislike the cops.
Speaker 12: Yeah, they've they've been they've been trying to get cops out of schools, which is good because yes, cops and schools are especially in Chicago, it's really bad.
Speaker 3: The last thing I think we should mention about the City Council before we move on to some of the other elections we need to talk about is one of the things that gets criticized about the left as an electoral force in places like New York or Los Angeles, especially those two places, is that's very dominated by white people. And I do want to provide the context for those of you who are not from the Chicago area, Like, that's not true. In Chicago. The progressive movement and the left, like the leftist movement, on an electoral level in Chicago is very much driven by people of color. And you saw this in the City Council election results. Almost every single seat that progressives flipped on the City Council was in a black or brown ward, and even the two wards, like the two white majority wards where they flip seats, the new aldermen or Alder women in both cases are people of color. So, like, this is just like context for those of you who are not from Chicago. This is not a case of like white leftist gone wild. Like this very much is a rainbow coalition, not just in the sense that Brandon Johnson won the election off of rainbow coalition, but in the sense of the electoral left in Chicago is very very much a rainbow coalition and has been very effective because of that.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and it's very funny too, because you see people like those sort of right wiggers in Chicago, like constantly screening about like Lake Front liberals, and you look at like the actual base of like the policy shit, it's like, okay, like this is this is this is simply not what was actually happening here.
Speaker 3: Yes, the honest like the thing about like race and its relationship with progressive politics in Chicago is that the most progressive neighborhoods Chicago, based on their voting patterns, are almost always the most racially integrated. And that's not to say that like all of the racially integrated neighborhoods are progressive, because that's not true. There are some pretty integrated neighborhoods on the Southwest Side that are like very conservative because a bunch of cops live there. But most of the racially integrated neighborhoods of Chicago are also the most progressive neighborhoods, and that like really just flies in the face of the whole like white lake Front liberal narrative and is something to pay more attention to.
Speaker 12: Okay, again, it cannot be emphasized enough. Brandon Johnson, the progressive candidate is black. He's running against a white guy. There was a very large attempt to paint like Brandon Johnson is like an out of touch, like white liberal, which is really funny. Yeah, I think like they just have I don't know. I mean, it's just the sort of like ideological bankruptcy of like like the sort of like capitalist establishment is like they have nothing right they're they're like the only thing they have left is like calling a black guy white.
Speaker 3: It's just like shut the fuck up, like he believes the shit anymore. Like And on that note, it might be time for some ads.
Speaker 12: Yeah we are, we are back from our I hope you have enjoyed the destruction of the entire world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, so there.
Speaker 12: We have talked about Chicago for a long time because you're both fum Chicago. It's very funny and it's very interesting. But oh actually, okay, I'm realizing this. There's one more thing I do. The two more things I do specifically want to mention about Brandon Johnson than I forgot earlier.
Speaker 3: One is that he.
Speaker 12: You know, it's genuinely unclear to me whether this is a real ideological belief he has or whether this is the thing that he said to not get called Natie semi because it was electorally expedient, but he released a really really shitty statement on like what got investment and sanctions of Israel.
Speaker 3: That was like Herbert, Oh, yeah, it was terrible.
Speaker 12: It was really terrible.
Speaker 3: But Like, based on what I saw from the aftermath of that, I'm inclined to believe that this was more something he was told to say. And the reason for that is because the reaction that got with the crowd he was in front of was like he was speaking with a Jewish organization. Like the reaction was very like okay, dude, but that's not what we asked you about. Like it was a response to a question about like, oh, you know, how do you handle anti Semitism? And I think there are just unfortunately a lot of really dipshit consultants in the Democratic Party who hear the words anti Semitism and think you have to talk about Israel, which is really truly an ironically anti semitic of them to think, like, yeah, I think he was probably told to say that I'm not going to go out on a limon. I guess what his actual beliefs on Israel Houstine are, but I'm pretty confident that that was his consultants being dumb.
Speaker 12: Yeah, but like I like the but the actual consequich is like he was equitting, like he was quitting the SNETI Semitism. He like, go, you should try to go find the clip somewhere because it's genuine, winey, bizarre and shit. And this is this is the part of the episode where I want to remind people that like when when when these kinds of people get into power, it is not as good as people think it's going to be.
Speaker 3: Like another thing.
Speaker 12: He very like he almost immediately like right after he got elected, started trying to convince Biden to have the Democratic National Convention in Chicago, which would be a fucking shit show. Yeah, this is me from the future here. Two days after we recorded this, the Democratic Party announced that the twenty twenty four Democratic National Convention will indeed be held in Chicago. So yeah, it's gonna suck. That effort predates him, like that's in the world. Like he definitely immediately came out and said like, yes, I'm in support of this, yeah, which is like some people don't understand why. Okay, So, like the thing that happens when when when national convention comes to your city is that your city is occupied by the cops and then like wherever the convention is happening based we turned into a war zone because anyone who comes out to trying to protest them just gets like the ship beaten out of them.
Speaker 3: Yes, and there's also usually a lot of anti homeless policies they get rolled down in advance. We actually, we would would this is It's not as.
Speaker 12: Bad as the stuff we talked about with Lula in terms of the World Cup, but it's a similar kind of thing that you get with these kinds of candidates where they do these sort of like giant they do these sort of like mega project developmentalism shit because they want the status that comes from it, and the result is stuff that sucks and that you know, nominally like like at least in theory, like contradicts the rest of his platform, right like this this is going to be a thing that brings a lot of cops into the fucking city he's in theory supposed to be trying to have policing done by like people who are cops. That's gonna suck if it works.
Speaker 3: Yes, And that is that is your reminder for if you do live in Chicago, like me and I that just because Brandon Johnson got elected does not mean that you could to sit home. Like if you are involved or invested in Chicago progressive politics, just because you have a progressive mayor doesn't mean you get to sit back and relax. You have to do a lot of work to hold these people's feet to the fire.
Speaker 12: Yeah, Like you're like, you're you're gonna end up fighting these people and it's gonna suck, and you're going to have to do it.
Speaker 3: Like if you if you believe.
Speaker 12: In the things that you that you claim to believe to, when are not sort of just acting out of like you know, either you're not just purely acting on a sort of candidate loyalty you were you were going to have to fight people that you helped get elected, and you're going to have.
Speaker 3: To pay for that. Start the five stages of grief.
Speaker 12: Now, okay, move moving, moving moving on from that ship, moving.
Speaker 3: On, we need to talk about Wisconsin. The other big election that happened on Tuesday night was an election that flipped the Supreme Court of the State of wiscon And from a conservative majority, and not just like lowercase C conservative, but like batshit and sane Christian nationalists conservative from a majority of those people to a liberal majority. That is hopefully going to make life better for the people of Wisconsin. So for those of you who are not paying attention to this, which is likely even more than the people who were not paying attention to Chicago, because state Supreme Court races, most people if you tell them about those, react with that's a thing. Yeah, and I mean to be fair.
Speaker 12: To be fair, this is probably the most nationally prominent state street court election of my lifetime. That means that maybe four people know about it instead of one.
Speaker 7: Yes.
Speaker 3: So on Tuesday night, Janet Protis Saywit, who was the Democratic aligned candidate, beat the Republican aligned candidate Daniel Kelly, who was himself a former member of the Wisconsin Supreme Court eleven points, which is a really big deal because Wisconsin voted for Joe Biden by zero point six points. So this is very much like landslide level territory for wiscon for Wisconsin Democrats, it was very much a perfect storm. Like the areas of the state that have been trending towards Republicans experienced massive reversion back towards Producewits and the areas of the state that have historically been a Republican also really shifted left. And the reason this happened, the single reason it happened, is because of the Dobbs ruling that overturned Roe v. Wade and brought American gender dynamics back by a solid seventy five years. Pro to Saywits successfully turned the campaign into a referendum on abortion rights, which is why she won by the margin she did. There was huge turnout in Madison, Milwaukee and college campuses. There were multiple college campuses, I think where there were more votes cast in this state Supreme Court election than there were in the midterms last November. So this really was like every single thing that possibly could have gone right electorally for the Democrats in Wisconsin did obviously with very very like grim background context of the overturning of Row, but a good sign for the future of the abortion rights movement that you know, people voters did not forget about Dobbs after the midterms, like this is still an active force in national politics that is pushing people to the left.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and I want to specific we talk about this for a little bit too, because, like I think the media has kind of has really I think fallen down on the fucking job here, which is that like these people are like because there's like all all the people in the fucking media class are either like themselves are like hardline anti abortion rules or there people who this doesn't affect and you know, so they just stop giving a ship after like a couple of months because it's like whatever, who cares.
Speaker 13: But like.
Speaker 12: This is a if you are living under this, like this is this is like you can't fucking ignore this, no, like it is it is a it is an immense engine of death and human suffering that you know, it's it's it's this is the US, right we live under a normally like we live under a lot of immense sort of engines of death and human suffering.
Speaker 3: But this is this is a kind of engine that just sweeps through.
Speaker 12: It sweeps across the sort of note what you think of as like the quote unquote like like traditional.
Speaker 3: Sort of.
Speaker 12: Like I don't know, you like class liizes the right thing, But this is the thing that kind of sweeps across the urban world divide in a lot of ways, like it sweeps au across a lot of the certain normal political divisions because the Republicans have been like there there there lying on abortion has been hijacked by what I say, hijack, right, this is what this is, what this is what these people always wanted, but it's it's been it's being set by a bunch of just deranged Christian nationalists whose opinion reflect maybe tour like thirty percent of the country max.
Speaker 3: Not even that. Like the like the ruling of the judge down in Texas on I'm going to mess up how to pronounce this, and I apologize, But if a priss stone, which is like a pill that, among other things, can induce abortions, Uh, there was like a Republican judge down in northern Texas who attempted, who like, attempted to overturn the FDA's approval of the drug. The FDA proved this drug in the nineties, and his ruling very much was insane, like on top of just like the superficial insanity of trying to do this. His reasoning was that, you know, this man wrote a ruling saying that the Constitution guarantees fetal personhood, which is a which we you know would result in a complete and total ban on abortion nationwide under all circumstances, and that's a viewpoint that is shared by less than ten percent of Americans. So like, it's just, you know, the Republican Party has gone off the cliff after they went off the cliff here. Yeah, And you know, I don't know, I think this whole I think.
Speaker 12: There's a lot of ways in which this entire sort of election, the lection dynamics of this are really grim because the Democrats are the people who let the shit fucking happen, right like for years and years and years in years, they just you know, they used abortion as an electoral thing and then did fucking nothing to actually make sure that abortion would be that you know, would be saved, and they finally lost it. And now it's like, you know, it's the thing that's like, it's it's it's it's the electoral issue that's coming to bail them out of their like.
Speaker 3: Electoral woes, and that fucking sucks in a lot of ways. But it also means, I.
Speaker 12: Don't know, like it's it's it's it's beating some of the worst people in the fucking world. If we want to actually make sure that people have the ability to have safe abortions on demand, we are going to have to do a lot of fighting that is not just showing up to these elections.
Speaker 3: Yes, absolutely, but it is yeah, no, like like Mia said, it is really just like heinous that so many of the Democratic Party big wigs who presided over the fifty years of Republicans saying they were going to do this and not taking Republicans seriously, are never going to feel accountable for this. Yeah, and I don't think I need to be you needs to be putting out with this too.
Speaker 12: Was like the Republicans the entire time, we're in every single way they possibly could like outlawing abortion without literally outlawing it, and people just stood that like the party which is like we don't give a shit, like we're not We're not going to like actually like fight this except for occasionally to run a losing candidate, right, like.
Speaker 3: I don't know, Yeah, no, it's it's insane, And like there are there are people in the Democratic Party who were trying to raise the alarm. Those people were generally ignored. But the you know, now that abortion rights are gone on a national level, we are seeing this electoral backlash and it is having the impact of like you know, Republicans have been unable to effectively make the national conversation about inflation, or about crime, or about trans athletes, which is also a losing issue for them, but god knows, they keep trying, but they have been unable to make the national conversation about those topics because voters are now looking at them like, but you're the freaks that took our abortion rights away? What's wrong with you? And in terms of Wisconsin, pro to say, which being on the Wisconsin Supreme Court is almost certainly she doesn't take office until August, which is a really weird amount of time for her to have to wait, Like I don't know why Wisconsin is like that, but it is. But once she is in office, Wisconsin should have restored abortion access, I would say almost immediately, basically, like as soon as someone can file a lawsuit over it, because right now, abortion is currently illegal in Wisconsin under a law from eighteen forty nine that the only exception to the law is to save the life of the mother, which, like.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 3: People who are not personally impacted by the possibility of pregnancy or the possibility of childbirth, I think really don't emotionally internalize what the language around some of these exceptions means, and it's like, if you are hearing the words like the only exception is life of the mother, that's really terrifying because it means like if you're going to be permanently injured as someone who's pregnant, but you're not literally going to die. Abortion is not an option for you. If the fetus that you are carrying, you know, whether you wanted an abortion or not, if that fetus has some kind of fatal defect, that is going to mean that your baby dies within hours or days after being born and is going to be and pain the whole time. Abortion is not an option for you. If you are pregnant because of sexual violence or because of incest, abortion is not an option for you. And it's it's like, you know, I am a cisgender man, so like I can't personally understand, but like I can only guess how terrifying of a reality that is. And the you know, the only good news out of this is that once prodi Saywans is in office, that law is probably going to go away as quickly as possible, which is a much needed victory for the people of Wisconsin and hopefully is you know, carries the momentum forward for like post twenty twenty four, hopefully we have a democratic trifecta again that can legislate abortion rights nationally and take it out of the ability to take away the ability for courts.
Speaker 5: To strike it down.
Speaker 3: There are some other ramifications for the state of Wisconsin that should also be mentioned. For those of you who live in Wisconsin. If I say the words public sector union law, you know what I'm talking about, the very infamous law that was passed by Scott Walker back in twenty ten, twenty eleven. I think that really restricted the collective bargaining rights of public sector unions, and like this sparked a recall campaign against Walker, which failed and proto Sawitz has said on record she said it in a campaign appearance because this race really just discarded all pretensions of like judicial impartiality. But she said in a campaign appearance that she wanted to get rid of that law. So that law is probably going away, or hopefully we'll be going away. Wisconsin also has very gerrymandered state legislative maps that are almost certainly going to be struck down. Same thing with its congressional maps, which means that Democrats can probably count on two more seats in the House post twenty twenty four, and also on a basic like do we live in a democracy or not?
Speaker 4: Level?
Speaker 3: In twenty twenty, when the Trump campaign was filing all of its really idiotic lawsuits alleging voter fraud, the Supreme Court of Wisconsin was the court that came the closest to taking those allegations seriously. They voted by one vote to dismiss the case because one of the conservatives broke ranks and he has been hounded by the far right in Wisconsin ever since. Wisconsin was one vote away from just three throwing out the popular election results, like the popular vote results, so there, you know, pro to say what's winning is literally an insurance policy for continuing to have the state of Wisconsin be a democracy. Yeah, which is good, Like I don't know that.
Speaker 12: Having a state that is effectively ruled by a dictatorship that was about to attempt to install like a dictator's president is good, Like I don't know. This is my lib take on this is in fact not good when a bunch of people are ruled by just an open dictatorship.
Speaker 3: So, which is essentially what Wisconsin you know, has been barring Tony eversus Whens as governor in twenty eighteen and twenty twenty two, like until he was in office, like Scott Walker presided over a single party dictatorship and wassconsin and so like, you know, which is part of also why pro to States was able to win by the margins that she did, because you know, Wisconsin is a swing state. It is reliably going to be close to fifty to fifty, but especially on social issues, it has a liberal majority, and a lot of people paid attention to this race and they saw correctly the opportunity to dismantle the dictatorship that effectively has had control of Wisconsin for the last decade plus.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and I mean, you know, the other thing, like part of what we're what's happening here is that if conservatives are actually allowed to do uncontested rule in a place that's even like kind of not just like a one hundred percent like conservative district, the results that they, like, the actual policies they put in place are fucking horrifying. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Bad, it's like obviously bad, but like you get, I mean, you get you get stuff like what happened in Tennessee in the last week where they you know, the state legislature expelled Democratic lawmakers for like engaging in the mildest of protests against like an open carry bill, and you know, just in a real cherry on top moment, the Tennessee State Legislature only expelled the black legislators who protested, and the white legislator who joined them survived her expulsion vote, because you know, we don't want to be like the days of the Republican Party not wanting to be two on the nose about the racism are long gone. But yes, so, But overall, good things happened in Wisconsin on Tuesday, and some some of the really terrible things that were put into law in that state in the last decade are hopefully about to go away. Yeah, there were some other places, mostly in the Midwest because once again the coastal regions of the country let us down. But there were some other places where liberals or progressives did well on Tuesday. Saint Louis, Missouri, has had a progressive city council, and there was a very strong kind of law and order challenge to that progressive majority based in the city's white majority. Wards and after Tuesday night, it's pretty clear that progressives will continue to have a majority on the city council. In Kansas City, on the other end of the state of Missouri, we are probably going to get the most progressive city council that the city has ever had. The main left wing group got all of its candidates through to the general election which is on June twentieth, and the main right wing tough on crime group seems like it's going to be capped at winning two seats. So you know, once again, the Midwest is the engine of American progressivism and the West coast can suck it. Yeah, there is one more piece of good news, which is that in Illinois there was a set of far right groups that ran a bunch of school board candidates on the like anti critical race theory, anti queer, anti trans platforms, and actually I'll just say the names of the groups because people should know. These groups are Awake Illinois, Moms for Liberty, and the seventeen seventy six Project. Basically, these groups are you know, if you went to the South in the nineteen seventies, you had the Klan and then you had the White Citizens Council, which was the supposedly more respectable face of white nationalism in the South in the sixties and seventies, and groups like Moms or Liberty and Awake Illinois are kind of the equivalent to groups like the Proud Boys and very you know, fittingly with the analogy here, these groups are primarily run and staffed by conservative women, just like white citizens councils were down South about fifty years ago, and thankfully, these candidates almost all went down in flames. I think there is a school board election in me and I's hometown, which is very notoriously conservative for people in the area, and even in that in our hometown, they've lost. And like these losses extended into downstate Illinois too, and like there's a small city called Quincy in western Illinois where it's like, this is a place that votes Republican routinely by like thirty points, like a sixty five percent majority, and these far right school board candidates lost in Quincy, Illinois. So thankfully people saw through the bullshit and were like, actually, you people are weirdos, and we're not going to hand you power.
Speaker 12: Yeah. Another thing that was very funny is Carbondale, which is like a very like this is like, I like, this is this is this is a Carbondale is a southern Illinois ass town is like not quite as far south tacnically speaking as you can.
Speaker 3: Go in Illinois, but like it's close.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I unlike did their first transperson to serve in a city council anywhere in Illinois. So like they're they're getting cloudborated fucking Carbondale, like they had a really fucking just destroyed. And I'm very happy about this because you know, a lot of kids are going to grow up in schools that are way less shitty than they were. Like even when I was there were like God help, the generation before us was just like sve and like would have killed like me and most of the people.
Speaker 3: I know, like yeah, yeah, no, the schools that me and I grew up in were not a great place to be queerer trans of any variety. But I mean this is also going to help because of I have. I still don't know what the Biden administration was thinking about this, but like the new like rule that they're rolling out around trans participation in K through twelve sports through the Department of Education. This got a lot of attention on Twitter in the last couple of days because I'm going to be as charitable as I can here to all of the people involved. But there was a panic on in progressive circles on social media, especially queer in trans circles, because the Washington Post decided to frame this rule in like the most like hyperbolic way possible. And this is not me saying that the rule is good, because the rule could definitely still be bad. But the Biden administration is essentially, from what I can tell, trying to include trans kids in Title nine protections. The proposed wording of their rule is not great and definitely needs to be improved, But the outcome here can be good in the sense that it would ban blanket prohibitions on trans kids in K through twelve sports, and it would require exceptions to like It would require like any exceptions to pretty much be like, you know, you have to prove that there is a danger to like fair competition here, which is the standard that Title nine uses for sports for cisgender men and or cisgender boys and cisgender girls. So like can be good? Will you know if you are invested in this. The public comment period on that rule is about to open. It's definitely a place where you should speak up and say, like, hey, the wording of this is a little shit, Like, let's be clearer here that the presumption should be that trans kids should be allowed to participate in on teams that align with the gender they identify as. And thankfully, because a lot of these dipshit school board candidates lost, hopefully some of these school boards will be taking the right side of history here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, go go go.
Speaker 12: Okay, So I'm slightly more angry about this than than you are, because I.
Speaker 3: Don't know.
Speaker 12: I think there's a pretty glaring hole in this that let's asphob just be like, well obviously.
Speaker 3: Like yeah, I guess yeah. I think the affording is vague and it should be made a lot less vague. I think it's bad. I don't know.
Speaker 12: I I I think I think that the backlash to the backlash about that went too far, and now there's a bunch of people insisting that this is in fact a really good rule and like no, like if if it's if it's if it's executed as is, it is going to let a lot of people do a lot of friend phobic ship.
Speaker 3: Yes, as is it is bad. If they change the wording of it. It can be better. Yeah, so go yell at Biden until he makes it less shit.
Speaker 12: Absolutely, you have to do this. Yeah, if you see him, if you see him walking down the street, yell at him. If you see him in a restaurant, yell at him.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, very very genuinely, like a It's always a good idea to yell at the Biden administration about anything, but be especially go yell at them about this. This can be done multiple ways. You can and reach out to your congressional representatives and tell them that you want the rule already made better. You can go there should be soon a direct form you can fill out on the Department of Education website where you can provide your own personal opinion on the rule. But basically, go yell at the Biden administration and tell them to insert language into the rule that makes very clear that the legal presumption that must be overcome should be that trans kids get to compete on the teams of the gender they identify with.
Speaker 12: Yeah. So yeah, having now yelled about that for a bit, yeah, we should, I think start wrapping up the last sort of bits of electoral news.
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, so the last thing I think we should talk about is probably Denver, Denver for those of you who do not know me and I, which is probably almost I would hope almost everyone who listens to this, I will die on the hill that Denver is a West Coast city, is not physically on the ocean, but the vibes rancid, and like the rest of the West Coast, Denver let us down. On Tuesday night, the mayor's election is going to a runoff between two candidates who both have pretty awful platforms on homelessness, and there is one that is worse. So if you are looking for the candidates to hold your nose and vote for, right now, you know see how it goes. But right now I would say that is Mike Johnson, not because he has anything good to say, he doesn't, but because his opponent, Kelly Brow says that she would have homeless people arrested if they refuse to leave camps in public parks. So she just fucking blows and she should be, you know, never be allowed anywhere in your power. The other bit of Denver news I think we should talk about is there was a housing referendum where the proposal was to turn an old golf course that is not currently being used into a housing development that would have I think twenty five percent affordable units, and it would part of it would also be turned into a park. And truly, what I thought was the dumbest thing that happened on Tuesday night. The proposal lost, and the Denver branch of DSA was campaigning against this housing development on the premise that building more housing is bad if someone profits off of it. And I definitely understand that. Listen, Like profiting off of housing is bad. We also need more housing, and Denver especially desperately needs more housing. And somehow we got this incredibly stupid coalition of nimbi's and like green space environmentalists and the Denver DSA that all came together to stop the housing development. And Miah, I'm sure you probably think a little differently about this than I do, but I saw this and I was like, what the hell, man?
Speaker 12: I mean? Okay, So here's why I know very little about this. My take is that if you have the opportunity to destroy a golf course and you vote, know you are like, as long as you're not literally building a prison camp like reactionary dogs the bourgeoisie destroy every golf course.
Speaker 3: Always a good you know, that's actually that's pretty good. That's that's a pretty good line. I should start saying it to more people. Destroy every golf course you can. But yeah, no, this it was I think the most frustrating thing that I saw happen on Tuesday night, and I think it is one of those questions that the Left is going to have to deal with in the next couple of years. Is like, all right, we have a lot of cities that desperately need a lot more housing. So how do we get it done, if you, you know, without just turning it over to the real estate lobby, because obviously that would also be really shitty. But the answer cannot be don't build more housing.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean, the thing I will say about this also is that another answer is, like, you know, we've recovered this on the show to like the other part of this. If you don't want a city that's just like absolutely horrific, you need to have a strong tennis movement, and you need to you need to have a tennis movement that's willing to move beyond things like rank control and move towards like actively like fighting to seize buildings from like from developers, and that's the thing that's happening, that there are places where people are doing this.
Speaker 3: It can be done.
Speaker 12: Yeah, so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like that, I don't know, like I feel like, I don't know. I'm not going to go into my.
Speaker 12: Entire thing on the sort of bimbi debate other than saying that, like, increasing the power of tenants will give you a bet, will give you the best options.
Speaker 3: Yes, very very much. Tenant unions are good. Yelling at the Biden administration is good, Destroying golf courses is good, and abortion rights are good.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and go fight for these things and things that aren't elections, because every once in a while, an election will give your result, which is the worst person on earth has been replaced by a slightly better person. And you know, I do like to not be ruled by the worst person on earth. But the ideal political situation is the one we're not. We're like people cease to rule over us.
Speaker 3: So yes, no, you gotta you gotta do the non electoral work alongside the electoral work. You can't just be relying on elections to make things better. You got to be pushing for it all the time.
Speaker 12: Yeah, well, I say, yeah, I am much softer on electoral work.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, no, no, Mia would rather MEA would rather than everyone doing electoral work start doing better things with their time and her eyes. Yeah, but if if you are.
Speaker 12: Going to be a person who does electoral stuff like it doesn't it doesn't matter what electoral victories you win, if you are just not doing anything that isn't electoral, because the actual sort of political the actual composition of political power in the city, and the sort of the city's class composition, the balance of forces between sort of like yeah, I mean things like between unions and employers, right like directly between workers and.
Speaker 3: Between the employers.
Speaker 12: There are lots of lots and lots of things that are very very important even if you are an electoralist, that are mostly decided outside of almost almost entirely decided outside of the ballot box. And if you don't take that into account and you try to just run like the most well engineered political campaign, you're going to end up like the two thousand years.
Speaker 3: Going to get sixteen Democrats. Democrats. Yeah, yeah, now everything that Mia just said, and yeah.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I hope you've enjoyed the longest amount of time I will ever be caught talking about an election that doesn't involve a coup.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this happened here. Yeah, thanks thanks again for having me.
Speaker 12: Yeah, thanks for coming on and all of you go happen to someone.
Speaker 4: My chicken has just come to me. You you don't catch them.
Speaker 10: Them?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's love, not coercion. That is how you catch a chicken, which is not what this podcast is about, is it, Robert, No, it's not. No un fortunate. We're doing the Catching Chickens episode next week. But today we are joined by three guests. We have Ava, Mo and Wode and they're going to be talking to us about solidarity with anarchist prisoners and how you can do that and why you should do that and why people have been doing that for a long time. So would you guys like to introduce yourselves and just tell us your names and any relevant affiliations in your pronouns.
Speaker 14: I'm Ava she Her. I've been working with June eleventh for about a handful of years now and been doing prisoners support for almost ten years now.
Speaker 13: I'm more a melterz crow and everyone calls me Mo. My pronouns are they or Mo, and I'm an attorney and I do a lot of work with political prisoners, people facing politically motivated prosecutions, and incarcerated people who need gender affirming care.
Speaker 4: Excellent, Yeah, it's very important stuff.
Speaker 7: Hey, my name is wod you see him pronouns. I've been involved in prisoner support for twenty five plus years, enjoying anarchists related activities for longer than that.
Speaker 4: So I think if we start off with perhaps explaining what June eleventh is and sort of the history of it, why this is a day that people can show the solidarity with anarchist prisoners, that would be great, and just what if you want to talk about that.
Speaker 14: Yeah, So June eleventh started as a day of solidarity with Jeff Wors when he was serving like a twenty two year sentence for torching some SUVs. But eventually he was able to get his sentence shortened and he got out. And at that point, Marius May and Eric McDavid were in prison with twenty year sentences for eco sabotage activity or in Eric's case, being entrapped for such and so it eventually changed to be about Marius and Eric after Jeff was released, and then Eric McDavid also got out of prison, and since then it expanded to all long term anarchist prisoners.
Speaker 4: I wonder, like, obviously we're in like eight point ouns. People have a few months before June eleventh, and they might be interested in doing this. They might not know any people directly they're incarcerated, or they might not have had an experience with that sort of in their close circles. So if we start with like how people can show solidarity like to incarcerated people, I think that would be great. So are there like things that people can do How can they do that, like so that people I guess people who are incarcerated can hear them or hear from them.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean read letters is kind of the classic go to. There's also ways to communicate digitally or over the phone with people locked up. You know, putting money on someone's books goes a long way. Everything is extremely overpriced in prison and and monopolized by the corporations that provide that those services. But I mean, if if you're looking for people, you have stuff in coming with they're particularly political things kind of carrying on the struggle and including their name in those activities as part of that. And and if you are in communication with them, talking to them about those things. Getting their input and helping them feel included in those struggles goes possibly the longest way.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that's such an important point because, like when you're talking about someone, for example, who's been like entrapped by by the FEDS or whatever law enforcement agency was responsible for it, like you're you're talking about a a strategic pattern that the state uses to clamp down on resistance, and the efficacy of that strategy is entirely determined by their ability to kind of break people and to break movements by both making people suspicious of each other and by you know, locking up and damaging the people who are kind of most prone to action. And I think doing stuff like this like not only helps kind of heal those the distrust that is inherently planted by the state when they do stuff like this, but also helps the people who are kind of most targeted and who have suffered the most for the cause not feel like they're swinging in the wind, you know.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I think it helps mitigate the fear of repression and arrests and especially things like terrorism enhancements. When people know that they're not going to be alone when they're in prison, even if it is for decades, like there's going to be people supporting them and writing them and fundraising for them and like including them in their projects like the entire time.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I would say too that meantime a movement or something becomes more effective, they become the focus of the state tends to sharpen on them.
Speaker 3: And and.
Speaker 7: A lot of the prisoners that have been supported around the junior levels they have solidarity, were involved in environmental analytes activities that were particularly effective and particularly destructive in a positive sense, particularly like the alf and eof actions of the nineties. But on this very intense repression in the early two thousands that came to be called the Green Scare.
Speaker 14: Yeah, kind of our our theme for this year is that that repression like doesn't work. All these like movements and struggles and activities continue even despite that kind of repression. There's still activity in defense of the earth and animals and land defense, and there's still really militant queer self defense, and there's still a lot of like a ton of activity against police and against racist police violence and murder, and like as much of those as much as those things are repressed, like, it doesn't stop them, and they just keep getting stronger.
Speaker 13: I think the only thing I would add to that is one of the most important things about doing political prisoner support or prisoner support in general, is that the state really does work to criminalize politically motivated behavior and politically motivated beliefs, which functions pretty effectively to distract from the central message of social movements, whatever social movement it may be. And providing prisoner support and continuing to keep people who are in prison apprized of those struggles, continuing to engage in those struggles can really function to refocus on that central message, even despite the fact that state repression is a very effective drain on movement resources and a very effective distraction from movement messaging.
Speaker 4: That is super important. Like if we look at like the movement for Black Lives or the George Floyd uprising, how we want to kind of phrase it, like the speed and like severity with which the state kind of cracked down on that and attempts to infiltrate it, attempted to create suspicion, attempted to create fear was Like I think most people listening might be familiar with that, even if they're not familiar with the Green Scare or like previous incidents. And it's not just like I know we have people listening in other countries. This is not just a America thing, right, Like British cops literally fucking married people in the like in the early two thousands. It's part of their undercover a situation. And one of them also went to clown school, which is funny. That is a charming story. Yeah, well, thank you not to refer to.
Speaker 13: The police academy that way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess they all went to clown school in the sense. Yeah, so yeah, we'll do We'll do a long promised clown block episode one day.
Speaker 12: No.
Speaker 4: I know you have some insight into Mariu's case as his lawyer, right, so could you explain a little bit about about that case if people can understand how a politically motivated prosecution works in the exupposed justice system that we have.
Speaker 13: So, just to clarify, I represent Marius now and I do advocacy for him. Well, he is confined. I was not his criminal defense attorney. So Marius was active in the very late nineties in early two thousands, and the investigations that were going on at that time in the state repression that was focused on the movements against environmental degradation was deep and concerted and went on for many, many years. And that's sort of what we refer to as the green scare, right, the criminalizing of environmental movements. And I talk about criminalized behavior and criminalized identity a lot, so I'm actually just going to take a second and.
Speaker 4: Explain what I mean by that, yes, please, So.
Speaker 13: The criminalization of identity refers to where law enforcement and the state are monitoring, targeting identity rather than unlawful conduct. And the criminalization of belief. Similarly, it refers to the state targeting people on the basis of their beliefs rather than on the basis of unlawful conduct. So movements, social movements. There's a very long and well documented history of social movements being criminalized by the state, even in the absence of any unlawful behavior. So the movements against environmental degradation were heavily policed, targeted, infiltrated, and many federal grand juries and setups and entrapments and successful prosecutions stemmed from that criminalizing of environmental movements, and Marius's case was among those. Basically, the state managed to turn Marius's former partner into an asset and effectively charged him, prosecuted him for several acts of politically motivated destruction of property, all of which were calculated not to harm human beings. He pled guilty and was sentenced in two thousand and nine. Had the offenses to which he pled guilty not been perceived as politically motivated, he would have probably gotten about seven years because the prosecution argued that his behavior was politically motivated, which I mean I think is true. He was hit with a terrorism enhancement which increased the severity of his punishment on the basis of house serious an offender he was then deemed to be. The prosecution asked for twenty years. The judge imposed twenty two. So here's an example of how beliefs are criminalized. At his sentencing, the judge and the prosecution both invoked and referred to what I think most of us would view as really unremarkable political behavior in ways that really cast it as very sinister. And so Marius's contact with people who were on his support committee, who were engaged in various kinds of civil disobedience about which Marius likely knew nothing was cast as Marius being in continued contact with people engaged in crimes as a violation or would have been a violation of his bond conditions. And on the basis of that claim that Marius was violating his bond conditions by being in touch with these people who again were engaged in what I think most of us would see as completely unremarkable civil disobedience constitutionally protected political behavior. This was one of the bases on which the judge imposed this sentence that was even longer than the prosecution had asked for. And there's a number of other examples of this kind of criminalization of routine political behavior, one of which is very significant, which is that when Marius finally went to prison, he started a reading group, and based on the content of the books that they were reading, he was transferred from a lower security facility pretty close to his family, to facility, and not just a facility, but a particular wing of a facility, which was the administrative segregation unit at FMC Carswell in Texas, which was much much farther from his family and was involved all kinds of extremely stringent conditions that I would argue were First Amendment violations, So you know, we see not only the really intense surveillance and targeting of social movements, but the really disproportionate punishments and sort of retaliatory behaviors all the way down, all the way from investigation to through to incarceration and conditions of confinement.
Speaker 4: That's trotious obviously, So I wonder like when he received those, like, maybe perhaps you should first explain what a terrorism enhancement is in case people aren't familiar.
Speaker 13: It is what's called a sentencing in hand, and it allows, it authorizes, or in some cases requires a judge to impose a harsher sentence for a behavior that's intended to I don't remember what the exact language is, but it's it imposes a harsher sentence for unlawful acts that are intended to intimidate or coerce the public or public institutions.
Speaker 4: Okay, so that's what increased like nitty triple that sentence in that case. Yeah, and with that specifically, like because he'd express anarchist ideas or just because it was like his actions were in sort of further into that liberation front kind of goals.
Speaker 13: I think it was explicitly because it was an ELF associated action.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, yeah, it was part of this crackdown on environmental movements. It's similar to what we're saying in Atlanta right now, like right down to the terrorism enhancements.
Speaker 13: What we're seeing in Atlanta right now is actually a little bit more astonishing just in terms of first of all, we're not really seeing it necessarily a terrorism enhancement. There is a statute that criminalizes what they are calling domestic terrorism. It operates similarly, right, there's a predicate act and then if it's politically motivated, you know, so you could, for example, potentially have something like politically motivated trespass right or politically motivated graffiti, and they could charge it as domestic terrorism. The enhancement is a sentencing mechanism, but it certainly is not new. What we're seeing in Atlanta, I would say, is it is remarkable, but it is a continuation of the same kind of targeted policing, efforts to chill social mod movements, efforts to disrupt social movements, to isolate people to fractionate movements. It's the same kind of thing that we have seen really since the beginning of policing in this country, and.
Speaker 4: That makes a lot of sense when you consider like the role of the police within the state and the goals of some of these social movements, right, which we're pretty to have to explain that in detail for people to understand what's going on. So like with these people facing you mentioned a couple of the other people who would face political persecutions and were incarcerated and then had their sentences reduced, and maybe we could explain like how that was able to happen, right, because that's obviously like a desirable outcome.
Speaker 14: I don't know the like the legal things that happened for that, but it was like.
Speaker 9: It was like in the coret room kind of a solution.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, I'm curious, just kind of engener role since you've all had more contact with these folks who are incarcerated and have been kind of the victims of this state violence when they talk about like what is kind of meaningful to them in terms of outside connections, in terms of like, you know what we're talking about here, what kind of stuff do they bring up is like having a positive impact on their mental health, on their kind of ability to endure they're what they're going through.
Speaker 14: First, I would say that communication is a big thing, like being able to talk to people, to write with people, and you know, a long term like regular correspondence is great. But even just like little messages of solidarity can be really meaningful. Material support is always huge, Like that's going to make somebody sound a little bit better if they can get stuff off a commissary, you know, buy enough stamps, all those things. But the thing that I hear a lot is like people want to see the projects and the struggles that they're involved in continue. So if that's like defense of the earth, if that's against the police or or whatever it is, like people like to see that because it's you know, it's not just about their own case, but yeah, about those movements that they come from and or somebody's you know, radicalized inside these things that they have committed to and been written from participating in a huge way, not entirely, but you know, people like to see to see that continue and see see victories, see like creative attempts and things like that.
Speaker 4: That makes a lot of sense, I think, so for people like I know, like I'll sort that right to incarcerate to people for the various things. And it can be quite difficult to like to work out the process of doing that, and it can be especially difficult. It was especially difficult during during like the worst of the COVID kind of lockdowns and search and like you couldn't. I was trying to write to a guy in one federal in tear hote and they wouldn't let the person email me because they claimed that the keyboard was like a high touch surface and this yeah, right, like and which people were getting COVID in this facility all the time. But how would folks go about, like, let's say they wanted to to write to Marius and just say, like, you know, we wanted to express the solidarity and say sucks that this is happening to you or whatever. How would they go about doing that.
Speaker 9: There's a couple of.
Speaker 13: Things that are specific with Marius that I will want to tell you, but you can go to if you google inmate locator bop, you can search Marius's name or the name of any other prisoner and you'll basically end up with it'll show you their information, including where they are confined, and you can usually click on the name of the facility and it will take you to the website for that facility and show you how to send mail to the prisoner. There's also if you go to NYCABC dot WordPress dot com or any of the other Anarchist Black Cross websites. NYC ABC is my home chapter, so that's the one I'm familiar with. But if you go to the Anarchist Black Cross websites, there are zines and I think a whole list that is pretty well updated of all of the anarchists political prisoners and instructions on how to write to them. One of the things that is on those websites that I would highly encourage you to take seriously our instructions about how to responsibly write to people who are under increased monitoring and surveillance while they are being confined. Because retaliation against prisoners, even for things that the prisoners themselves have not done, is very commonplace. And so if somebody while we very much want to make sure we keep in touch with people and give them news of the outside world, including news about their social movements, one thing that can happen is that those letters simply will not be delivered. And another thing that might happen is that the prisoner themselves may face disciplinary consequences, formally or informally just as a result of having been the intended recipient of that news. So you know, I would say, as I often say, discretion is the better part of valor.
Speaker 4: In this instance, I think you have to have.
Speaker 1: A kind of a first do no harm attitude about this, where like, at the end of the day, regardless of like your anger or your desire to talk about, you know, certain things, your primary concern here has to be not making things worse for somebody who's already in a terrible situation.
Speaker 13: Yes, and I would also like to point out that prisoner mail is monitored, and so among other things, you might be making things worse for yourself, so I would be cautious and circumspect about what you write to people whose mail is being read. The other thing is with respect to Marius in particular. Unfortunately, in order to get mail to him, you still have to dead name him. And if you want to hear more about that particular set of struggles, I'm happy to talk about it. But suffice it to say for now that if you go to support Mariusmason dot org, there should be some instructions about how to write to him, and I'll make sure that the support group puts up clear instructions, but unfortunately you do have to put his dead name on that envelope or it will.
Speaker 5: Not get to him.
Speaker 4: It's extremely frustrating, but yeah, it could be really annoying, sespecially if you're trying to look for somebody. I'm using the locator and it has a gender note fire and it's not the correct gender notifier, and yeah, that can be difficult, but like, yeah, it's an effort worth making, right, and it really can help someone who's going through a difficult time.
Speaker 13: Yeah, and people do have really specific interests apart from movement work as well. And you know Marius paints. He sent me this incredible He sent me a number of paintings over the years. I have one actually that I think I shared with you earlier Sacho and Vanzetti that he made. He sent me a really great portrait of Jimmy Page once. He also recently sent me a beautiful scarf that he had knitted or crocheted. I guess people have hobbies, people have interests, and they're happy to talk about.
Speaker 3: Those things as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what makes us like a whole person, right, And I think having a little bit of that helps you to keep that little part of yourself in what could be a difficult place. So yeah, hope people can send crochet letters. I'm sure we have some keen croche listeners. This is probably the part of the podcast where we stop and make ourselves amenable to capitalism by doing an ad break. I wonder what can people do on June eleventh, right right? Obviously, like people should keep on this ongoing correspondence. I think that's really important. And I would speaking to someone from their Leonard Peltier free lended peltya group the other day, and I know a lot of people write to lend A Peltier and like, I know that that's a great source of like strength for him, especially as he's like aging in prison. I was wondering what people could do on June eleventh to sort of further discourse, spread the word take actions to solidarity kind of things to people.
Speaker 7: Do Juna elevens activities. You know, actions and solidarity really run the gambit. You know, It's been very popular to have like a barbecue or a benefit show things to raise money, and then there's actions that more have more in common with why some of these people were incarcerated. Uh, and like if you check the website June eleven dot org. There's a list of previous actions that people have taken and the whole uh gambit of activities that you know, people have participated in. I know, with the revitalization of of this as like an international base of solidarity, there was an interest in trying to think outside the box more. You know, it's it's difficult to like, no one's going to reinvent the wheel, or you know, maybe they that's as much as they're doing. But but there is a variety different activities. In last year's theme was sort of like doing something different than you might normally do, just diversify what is happening.
Speaker 14: One of my dreams for John eleventh is for it to be an opportunity for you know, our movement prisoners to be integrated into other things. So it's you know, it doesn't have to just be oh, this is like the prisoner support to activity, or like we're just going to write letters. But you know, people do things like art shows like mo mentioned like a lot of people paint, a lot of people write poetry, and to integrate that into like maybe already have like you know, a community around poetry readings, or something like that, and just to bring that into into whatever like little corner of the world or whatever kind of activities that were already involved in for these things to like reference each other, right like we reference our prisoners and they can reference these things that are happening outside that are like integrating them.
Speaker 13: One of the things that since I've been involved, a lot of times we try to illicit or solicit statements from the people we represent. I have been to a number of really wonderful June eleventh activities that have included an art show, a number of punk shows in various people's basements. And I think as just an individual, I mean, first of all, I think it's a great opportunity to do community building, to do letter writing. But I think it's also something that even if you are, you know, relatively isolated, you know, you can just make a commitment today, I'm gonna send five bucks to somebody's commissary.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I think.
Speaker 13: I was looking back at one of Marius's previous June eleventh statements and one of the things he referred to was a civil rights attorney that he'd worked with was asked, you know, what does the movement need most and he responded, everything is everything, meaning you know, anything, any advocacy that you do in one area will redound to the benefit of all of the rest of us and all of the other areas.
Speaker 4: And I have found that to be.
Speaker 13: True, and I have found that specifically to be true even in terms of the legal effects of doing advocacy for Marius has had really huge benefits for other trans folks who are in prison who I've represented, and then doing advocacy for those folks has had really incredible benefits for Marius. So I mean, I think it is materially the case that you know, you struggle where you are, you do what you can on June eleventh or any other day.
Speaker 3: And you know, you move the needle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's very well see absolutely, you.
Speaker 14: Know, Dune eleventh the specific for people who have long sentences, and that's really about like the increased risk of just kind of like falling to the back burner as there's new like waves of struggle and you know, new emergencies and crises all the time. This is an opportunity to like really take a moment, to to really focus on that memory. And so I hope with June eleventh we can like kind of build bridges like generationally, you know, like I wasn't really around with Marius, you know, during the Green Scare and Marius got arrested, and it's something that I learned about and got involved in later. And I hope that, you know, with new people that we meet and new people who like we share projects with, we can tell them about our prisoners. And also you know where I happened to live. There's occasional I meet somebody who used to know Marius from you know, twenty years ago, and so kind of in both directions like into the past and into into the future, like, yeah, just trying to spread awareness about these people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think's yeah, I think it's it's so important to look at this as part of a long struggle. And that's you know what you and Moyer are both talking about in terms of it's it's building connections. It's it's kind of this like the sedimentary layer, uh, that that creates the actual foundation for for positive change. And you know, we have there's this kind of Hollywood brain thing I think we all have where where we get bent out of shape when when change doesn't kind of come and in the form of these kind of calamitous moments and and kind of culminations of struggles and stuff. But it's it's, you know, the the process of winning is the process of like part of it is the process of showing up for the people who are uh casualties, you know, who are being.
Speaker 4: Who are being.
Speaker 1: Who are suffering the most for it, And part of it is kind of the way in which that allows you to kind of build networks of solidarity that are the necessary foundation for continuing the struggle.
Speaker 13: Absolutely, I would say that in the years that I've been doing this work, one of the most important parts of it is being really consistent in showing up for the people who are being horrendously punished, because that's the only way that everybody understands that they will be taken care of. Right. But speaking of winning, I do have an update if you have a second on another June eleventh prisoner, Eric King. Yeah, from my beloved colleague Sandy Freeman, who represented him successfully recently and got a not guilty verdict for him after he was charged with assaulting a corrections officer, which is, I mean, if you know anything about federal indictments, a magnificent coup. So Eric currently has a Clan Act conspiracy in Bivens lawsuit pending against more than forty state defendants. His team is trying to achieve release from the ADX by a writ of habeas corpus. He's not currently getting access to communications, visits, or programming, but he is still strong and resilient, and his recent victories are an object lesson in the fact that we really can fight back and win. Please donate to his support fund and please uplift what is happening, because this is the future for anti fascists in the Bureau of Prisons. Nevertheless, we do continue to struggle and sometimes even to win, and I think our stories of triumph are not frequently enough told, and so one thing that we could do this June eleventh is try to gather all of those stories and make sure that those stories do get told.
Speaker 4: I think it's really important, like you said, to see these little victories and like not to see it as distinct from a broader struggle, Like if we want to do anarchism and build ways of taking care of each other outside of the state, then we need to take care of people who are victimized by the state, And like this is part of doing that, we're proving we can do it by doing it right. And like Robert said, like we're not going to storm the Winter Palace necessarily. Yeah, we can build up our in different ways, and this is a way of doing that. I'm thinking of like more international like cases. I know, for instance that where I come from, the British government fucking loves to put people who volunteered to fight for the YPG in prison or their parents if they send them money for food, which yes, great country, But I know that like all over the world in Spain and Catalonia where I've lived, like this is a thing too. So are there any other like international cases that you want to sort of draw attention to?
Speaker 7: Currently right now, Alfredo Caspito in Italy is has been on hunger strike since October against the particularly isolating and particularly repressive forty one, the prison what he calls a non life in there so a prison that was primarily used against Masia bosses. But you know, in the classic state misinterpreting anarchism has considered Alfredo a leader and particularly and so locked him away without access to almost any means of communication, and uh, and so he's he's had a lot of health problems as a result of this. You know, he was originally locked in for shooting a nuclear executive in the knee, uh, after some particular couss remarks from him following the Fukushima disaster. And that nuclear company has ties with like the you know, the larger war machine, the manufacturing of of weapons for war and uh, you know he's he's caught other charges while being in prison for previously alleged activities, including just being an anarchist essentially kind of what you talked about, the straight criminalizing political sensibilities. You know, Italy has been doing that. Chile has been doing that previously against people like Monica Caballero and Francisco Solar, who have been in and out of prison for years now in a curly facing more charges for allegedly sending bombs to police training facilities and such down in Chile and in your own England. Toby shown is someone who got out recently after being receiving terrorists charges for allegedly being involved in the anarchist website called three two five and financing terrorism through like accepting donations for their work and things like that. But he did not get convicted of that he usually got convicted of some minor drug charges and so he's been released to kind of a halfway house now, but they continue to try to mess with his terms of release because of his politics, because he's an anarchist and unrepentant, they continue to try to mess with him.
Speaker 4: Essentially.
Speaker 14: On the website j eleven dot org, there's a page where information about a lot of prisoners, both in the US and internationally. You know a little bit about them. Most of them has their address. If there's a support site with more information that's linked to it as well.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's a good paid place foreople to look. Anything else you guys wanted to get to to discuss issues for incosce rated anarchists people, I guess other ways to support incost rate to people.
Speaker 13: Yes, I would like to remind your listeners that all prosecutions are political, and that people who are locked away in you know, the cages that are the federal facilities and the state and local and county facilities are all dealing with the same kinds of isolation and deprivations, and a lot of them have even less support than some of our long term anarchist political prisoners.
Speaker 4: And so you know, I.
Speaker 13: Understand this is a program about June eleventh, and of course I want to uplift June eleventh, But I would also like to suggest that to whatever extent you can get involved in just prisoner support. I think that more support for more prisoners is always a good thing.
Speaker 7: Yeah, be in the streets in whatever, by whatever means. Fighting the society that makes prison and necessity is the longer game, right, Yeah.
Speaker 14: You know, related to what Ma was saying, I wanted to mention another long termanicist prisoner, Michael Kimball, who is in Alabama, and just thinking about like how supporting him has resonated to like so many other people in prison in Alabama, Like the way that he has been able through the support of you know, some of his friends on the outside, then support like so many other queer people that he's with in Alabama and been able to like collectively organize and like share radical history, Like you know, they have a have a role in it too, and our support for them can like resonate far beyond just an individual.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think that's a great point.
Speaker 14: Yeah, And other things to mention, we are we have a fundraising goal for Marius this year twenty five hundred dollars. We're trying to get some bookstores on board to you know, have some June eleven stickers donate a little bit of money, so go to your local bookstore and potshop, red Space, et cetera.
Speaker 4: Nice. Is there any any other like resources you guys wanted to plug? Social media is or anything that people can follow to find out.
Speaker 13: You can follow Marius's support on Twitter at at support Marius. There's also an instagram that I think is at support Marius Mason. I would also like to plug the concept of not talking to cops.
Speaker 7: Smart June eleven. Also some social media presence. There's really only regularly active on the master don account and it's just at June one to one at June eleven.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was fantastic. Thank you very much. Guys, really appreciate your time. Hello podcast fans, it's just me today, It's just James and we're doing another episode about the border. I'm joined today by Emmett and David from the Borderlands Relief Collective and we're going to talk a little bit about people doing mutual aid on the border, the situation on the border, and for those of you who live a long way away from it, and a sort of pretty shitty thing that border patrol did to some supplies which were left out on the border earlier this month. So yeah, David, if you'd like to sort of introduce yourselves and expend a little bit about the roles you play, that would be great either.
Speaker 10: I'm happy to be here. My name is Emmett.
Speaker 6: I am splitting my time between being a geochemist at Descriptions Station Oceanography in a PhD student and trying to reconcile what it means to be living in this border lands and being a part of a community that is partially criminalized depending on who you are, where you come from, and also what it means for you to seek safety and freedom in your life. So I work in several organizing spaces trying to shut down different detention centers as well as supporting folks just make ends meet in San Diego and also supporting people keeping their lives and staying alive in this extreme border border lands that we on.
Speaker 5: Hey, my name is David. My job I work as a surgeon. I've been living in San Diego for about ten years and I've been doing humanitarian volunteer work in the Borderlands, which we call doing water drops for something like six years, got started with Border Angels and also did volunteer work with Order Kindness highly recommend that organization, and more recently have been doing water drops in a mountainous area between San Diego and TJ with friends and we just recently found a name for our group and it's Orderlands Relief Collective.
Speaker 13: Great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think maybe I think if people think of San Diego, they think of like the zoo and maybe SeaWorld and the beach, you know, that kind of shit. So like, can you explain what it's like. I've spent a lot of time in the area where you guys do water drops. Can you explain what it's like and why it's such a difficult area to pass through for people who are trying to move north.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, San Diego. As you said, people think of the beach. But actually I think someone told me that San Diego County has some of the most diverse kind of ecosystems of any county in the so called USA. We have high mountains where it snows when it gets called out. We have low deserts where routinely exceeds one hundred degrees fahrenheit in the summertime, I mean one hundred and twenty degrees fahrenheit in the summertime. And as far as the geography of migration, it really goes back to you know, it's a direct consequence of federal border policy. I think many people will be familiar with the term prevention through deterrence, which is sometimes elaborated as prevention of migration through environmental deterrence, and the whole concept is going way back to Clinton administration. The areas of the border near cities like San Diego were increasingly militarized with high border fence, intense patrol by armed officers, and increasingly recently electronic surveys, with the idea of relying on the extremely harsh terrain of the deserts and mountains to form a kind of a natural But they quickly found out within within you know, basically the first year or so of that federal policy that numbers of people crossing the border did not decrease. However, deaths skyrocketed. And that's something we understood, you know, people in Washington, d C. Understood many many years ago. But the policy persists. So the bottom line is people who are crossing the border from Mexico to the USA often resort to crossing in the most remote and dangerous areas of the border. So the area that we're going to be talking about, this mountainous region between San Diego and Tijuana. Literally folks are going up and over the tallest mountain in the area, literally up and over the mountain, extremely arduous walk. When we do these water drops, we're well rested. We hike all day and we come home exhausted, and we look at our Gaya apps and find that we've only hiked a very small portion of the actual total journey, and we're always humbled by just the resilience and determination of people who do this crossing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, another thing I think people don't realize is that the amount of physical just difficulty that people have to enjoy coming here is immense. And of course, the reason that people are willing to take those risk is because it's not like they come from a place of safety, right and it's not it's not that, you know, the reason they're willing to take risks is because it's a risk. Being where they were is a risk. I think a lot of people will maybe have become more engaged with border policy during the Trump heira certainly like the legacy media narrative focused on the border very briefly, Like maybe it peaked around the midterms in twenty eighteen, I think, and then people have lost a lot of interest since then. So for those of us who live on the border, it's remarkable how little has changed. I think maybe it's not particularly remarkable because I don't think we're really expected to, but like, can you explain what if anything has changed since twenty twenty one and how things have sort of remained the same in many ways?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think it's a really good question, and it brings up a lot of.
Speaker 6: The political nature or kind of skewed ideaity based conversations that.
Speaker 10: Exist in migration.
Speaker 6: And obviously there's a lot of rhetoric that is quite hyperbolic around.
Speaker 10: The so called morality of people who are.
Speaker 6: Migrants in general, and then kind of categorizing certain people as worthy or not worthy of entrance into the so called nation, and kind of furthermore, what does it mean for people to believe any of those narratives and then support them at a federal political level, And as you're saying, during Trump era, there was a lot of conversation in response to very very hateful rhetoric from Trump and administration targeted at certain people, but not from a deep place of really understanding or characterizing the conversation in general, or speaking by the fact that in San Diego or in California at large, more than half of the farm workers who kind of create this city that we are or the state that we are, and support the very backbone of the fact that we're all still having our hearts beat our migrants, and that our economy at large, as well as just the fabric of our nation is based on migrants in immigration. So for us to pick and choose what that looks like is not only missing the majority of the point, but is using as a talking piece, is really as a talking piece for certain identities to feel vindicated to spend money and support certain for profit corporations like for example, cour Civic, one of the largest prison corporations prison corporations.
Speaker 10: In the country.
Speaker 6: I've got one point nine billion dollars the previous year from the federal government, and therefore, like you think about the connection between these enterprises and stories about immigration are quite linked. So I don't have all the statistics in front of me about how the specific number of crossings has changed or the population has changed.
Speaker 10: But on the whole, nothing has really changed as far as the need goes.
Speaker 6: So, thinking about four years ago, what were the specific crises that were occurring that were causing people to seek seek safety United States?
Speaker 10: Maybe some specific positions of change and others have arisen.
Speaker 6: And as more and more people are come to United States fleeing from climate related disasters as well as ongoing stability, it's not as if the US has engaged in any real project to support people to begin with or understand the underlying causes. So from that standpoint, nothing meaningfully has happened from either administration to really understand or create policies that would support anyone seeking safety or from making decisions that are quote unquote aligned with US best interests. It's never been a part of the conversation. It's more to basically capitalize off of people in their suffering, whether wuther that be to the you know, to be a storyline that US is is helping people, or is a savior of others, or is trying to crack down on armed bandits or or criminals who are cross crossing this borderland.
Speaker 4: I think it is worth like the cusific examples really interesting because Biden made a big thing of like talking about shutting down like quote unquote private prisons, but it's still very much like funding the same things when they're not for people who are citizens of this country or.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and for those of those who aren't fully reversed in kind of the basic relationship between private prisons and immigration, there are is a relationship that between customs and Border protection and different prison corporations to basically put people who are apprehended who are not initially deported under Title forty two in detention while their cases are ongoing and investigated or asylum or a refugee status. And so these prisons make a profit and can basically demand a certain.
Speaker 10: Money amount of money from the government.
Speaker 6: Per person who is within one of their facilities, and there's also a minimum that they will continually get money from the government regardless of whether the beds are filled, but they have an incentive to keep beds filled. So there is an economic relationship between these corporations and the government to basically put more people in detention. So that's a huge underpinning of this whole conversation is who is getting money and how does it kind of further the certain aims of corporations, but also agencies that basically get a larger amount of federal funding through apprehension of people.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like Biden has funded DHS more than Trump did, and like DHS's budget does Department of homelown security, of which Customs and Border Protection is a part and border patrol is a part of Customs and Border protection. It's a giant pyramid of people putting people in prison, and it's also worth like reinforcing I think for people that these people have done nothing wrong at the point which they are incarcerated, right, Like they have a bayed or relevant laws and are in conditions which we've decided are not befitting prisoners in the United States, but are okay for these people. Not that anyone should be incarcerated, but yeah, there's still a two tier system. So can you explain a little bit about your efforts to do mutual aid and to like do a little bit of kindness on the border and make things a little bit better out there for people who are coming north.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what we do again just is in collaboration with other organizations that have been around a long time, a lot longer than we have Border Angels, Order Kindness in California, UH No more deaths in Arizona, many other organizations, and it really, you know, boils down to we don't want people to die on you know, the trails UH crossing through the borderlands, and that actually informs where we drop Unfortunately, you know, all of our our recent new routes that we supply there directly because we know that people have died UH in those locations or required rescue. We work in very close relationship with other volunteer organizations that focus on search and rescue and search and recovery, search and recovery meaning recovering human remains of people who have died. So there's a number of outstanding organizations that operate in California, Arizona, Texas. These include Eagles of the Desert, Armadillos, many other organizations. Most of these are actually made up of volunteers who are first generation immigrants, mostly from Mexico, and so when people die or require rescue, we do find out from our friends and comrades in these SAR organizations and we build water drop roots directly around that knowledge. So yeah, it really boils down to, yeah, we don't want more people to die making making this, uh, this journey. And so as far as what kind of supplies we leave, it's what we think may make a difference. We leave bottles of water, energy, drinks like electrolyte, gatorade and so on. Cans of food with pop tops, all kinds of cans of fruit, beans, you know, chili, you know, whatever we think people may need. Of course, we tailor it based on the time of year. In the mountains, in the winter gets freezing cold, lots and lots of rain, so we've been leaving waterproof ponchos, warm clothing. And the summer, of course, it gets scorching hot. In the desert. People die of hyperthermia. They literally cook to death. That's where electrolytes come in here and the sun hats, bandanas, baseball hats, first aid kits. We we leave kids full of medical supplies. Uh, and more recently, you know, just observing the kind of used items that we find on the trail. Uh, kids stuff, diapers, pacifiers, Uh, you know, we leave you know, tampons, you know that kind of stuff. Uh, containers of infant formula. So it's a it's a it's kind of an iterative process, just leaving what we think people need and yeah, that's that's kind of what we do.
Speaker 4: And just so folks are super clear, this is all like an initiative among you and your comrades, right, right, then you're not supported by any like government entity. That's the government entity is kind of doing quite the opposite of what you're doing.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Correct, We are all volunteers in the sense that nobody is paid. We don't have any formal affiliations with any other NGOs, much less governmental organizations.
Speaker 4: Right, So maybe people are wondering. They might have been familiar with the court case in Arizona, or they might not be, like if what you're doing is considered to be like legal humanitarian aid or not you comfortable talking about that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So I think that's definitely a gray area that we find ourselves really occupying. And I think that's a bit of this kind of propaganda machine. Is what does it mean to engage with somebody who is seeking safety and fleeing for their lives. There's a certain place where that's how it to be a wonderful thing. If you're Catholic charities and are providing beds, And for example, I wanted to make that distinction.
Speaker 10: Between several kind of charity organizations who.
Speaker 6: Do receive federal money to be engaged in this conversation versus grass fruits, mutual aid networks, and communities who are doing this because it feels like it's part of their communities mission, their families mission, or it means it's part of them being true to themselves and true to what feels just in.
Speaker 10: The very confusing world.
Speaker 6: So what we're doing is very explicitly leaving humanitarian aids supplies that are potentially life saving in areas where we know people need them. We are not having any specific or hands on or person to person engagement with anybody. So they're in Arizona, Nomas Motes became part of a conversation about providing critical medical support, and that was a court case that really tested the limits of what it means to be in this great area and what was really important and the nuances in that conversation were what constitutes aiding in a betting or so called aiding in a bedding of legal immigration, which is basically again a very large gray area between are you, are you enticing people to cross? Are you being paid as a smuggler to cross? Are you doing something which is encouraging people to cross? None of which was activity that was engaged with the most modes or us, but in their case specifically providing medical aid across the boundary, and they were raided their their their their camp and their impromptu field uh tents where they were providing life saving medical support where it was raided.
Speaker 10: And the kind of the finer points of that were that.
Speaker 6: The outset being that the First Amendment protects humans in their religious freedom to practice whatever that furthers their religious beliefs in a faith, and a very large point of their work was their affiliation and dedication to preserving human life, which, as we can imagine for many folks listening to this or in general, that is very core to their belief system. And so there are very clear protections in the First Amendment of preserving people's right to practice their religion. So that was a case that kind of established a lot of what we're working under is these basic protections to be humanitarian aid workers following basic belief systems. What we're doing specifically is leaving supplies, so leaving supplies. The most egregious thing you can basically say about that is that we're littering, or that we're abandoning property. And so again Nomas Martes, and in this, in this larger conversation, was established in the court that leaving humanitarian aid supplies that were with the intent of saving lives is not litter.
Speaker 10: So that was also a very big point.
Speaker 6: Which is saying, no, we are not just kind of going walking down the street and throwing out your bottle in the back of your truck.
Speaker 10: This is specifically with the intent of saving lives.
Speaker 6: And the third place is that we are abandoning something in this in this area that would be constituted abandoned property.
Speaker 10: And as we'll speak.
Speaker 6: About maybere in the future, our supplies are consumed quite rapidly, and there is a statute in this in this state of it is it abandoned property has to be it has to be left for more than ten days to be considered abandoned property. So even if we are leaving things in these regions, it is not considered abandoned property it's been less than ten days. So basically I guess just to say that nothing we're doing is illegal from any standpoint, and also the case in Arizona kind of helped make a distinguishing, make some distinctions between whether our activity is is also frowned upon in public land, which it is not, because it is constituting humanitarian aid in a place that is desperately needed.
Speaker 4: Right. And I think if folks go out to like I mean, most people aren't going out to the Valley of the Moon or what have you, but like, if you want to look for abandoned stuff there, it's not hard to find. And it's not you guys doing that like shooting barrels or whatever that Like someone was shooting a barrel last time I was out there. Let's talk about how quickly those supplies are consumed, because I think again that will be like news to some people, right, Like you guys are out there every week, and like how much stuff you're dropping and how quick does it go?
Speaker 5: Yeah, to tell you the truth, we're still we're still of finding out ourselves because every time we think we know the answer, we're surprised by how fast it's being consumed. The bottom line is it's being consumed as fast as we can leave this supply. So emmine and I and many other of the members of our organization, Borderlands Relief Collective, we also are active in border kindness and in the past with border Angels, and so we're used to a certain rhythm of doing a water drop, circling back usually a month later, and we're happy if maybe half of the supplies have been consumed, that's a good day. When we started doing water drops in this mountainous region, first of all, we were just blown away by the evidence of heavy foot travel. I mean, these are even though you'll never find a hiker, a recreational hiker on these trails, they look like established trails. They're worn in trails. And when we started doing these water drops, there's just a river of discarded water bottles, clothing, food wrappers, and just things that we have never seen before, that that amount of human activity, literally on the top of a mountain where you never would think why would someone cross over a top of a mountain to get from point eight to point B. So, like I said, we're still learning what the proper interval is. Some of these locations that we drop, we come back a week later and they're pretty much one hundred percent consumed. So yeah, we really it's become apparent. We have been having a lot of discussions that we're very eager in trying to expand our number of volunteers because the more we do this in this mountainous region, the more we learn how pressing need is. So we're having a hard time just supplying essentially one path that goes up and over the mountain, and we know that this is just one of many paths that are used by people in this region. So really we're finding one hundred percent consumption every week or two at most of our drop spots.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so if people did want to we could just get out in here. Now, if people did want to help you and they're in the region, would they be able to serve where they could reach out?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Sure. We just like I said, we just came up with our name after a fun communal decision making process, and we just a couple of days ago did our first post on social media. So if anybody's on Instagram, just search for Borderlands Relief Collective and click on you know, the email and send us a d get in touch. If you're anywhere near the San Diego we'd love to talk to you, and I definitely would like to expand the number of volunteers.
Speaker 4: So you spoke a little bit about like that, we spoke about this Arizona case right where people got raided. I know, you guys have also had some less than stellar interactions with CBP Border Patrol specifically, and as they get really mad if I call it customs of Border Patrol because it is custom border protection. So you guys had a thing I live it last month. Now in March, do you want to explain a little bit about what happened to the insitant?
Speaker 6: First of all, Yeah, So as part of our so I think, as we already talked about, we go out every weekend.
Speaker 10: And that's again we're all busy laves.
Speaker 6: Davia's literally a surgeon, and we're basically trying to find a time that we can.
Speaker 10: Get people together to go out there.
Speaker 6: So we picked the weekend and we have a you know, changing number of people who are able to be out there with us. So, as one of our normal water drop weekends, a route that starts basically at a road that that has been along the ridge of O Tai Mountain. We start hiking down on the south side towards towards the towards the border, and I've established multiple routes along that path, and this one particularly is so slow going.
Speaker 10: You only go a couple of miles and it takes.
Speaker 6: You most of your Saturday because of how steep it is, the how thick though the brush is, and also kind of, as they were saying earlier, even in the middle of day daytime, with hiking boots, it's really treacherous. And we've we spend a lot of time making sure that we're safe in the process of of going to ourselves. So as we we left our first drop and then a second and went down to our final drop and turned back and started going back up the mountain, and we came to our second drop site, and as we arrived we found something that was kind.
Speaker 10: Of really hard to process at first for us, which was that.
Speaker 6: Every single item that we had purposefully put inside of a crate and we had counted and we had a left as we do, was scattered and littered across the ground. We had left more than twenty liters of water, and every single bottle of water was opened and dumped out and thrown indiscriminately around this site. We had left again something like twenty hands of food beans, tuna, condensed milk, fruit, and every single can had been opened and had been its contents thrown around the area. We had left bags of socks and hats and those were covered in beans and fruit and again thrown into bushes.
Speaker 10: They can not be used. We had handwarmers.
Speaker 6: Because it's very cold and handwarmers are essential to kind of just keep mobility. And every single one was diligently opened, as if someone had really enjoyed taking time opening it and thrusting into the dirt. And that was something that was like so painful and just confusing, very demoralizing, as you can imagine after just hiking that far, but more so it's felt so deliberate and hurtful.
Speaker 10: And initially were of course wondering what had happened. We've done this for.
Speaker 6: Several years years and never had we seen something like this before. And it became very apparent that someone had deliberately destroyed our crate. Even the crate itself. This milk carton was smashed in half. The bottom of it was torn out, and that is something that's very hard to achieve. Milk cartons are not very light, thin plastic. This was someone had actively put a lot of force into smashing a milk cart so that nothing was left behind.
Speaker 10: We on the way down.
Speaker 6: One thing that I didn't say a second ago was that we had seen an agent on the trail, which was unique for us because normally they're just in their cars with binoculars looking from the road. So we had seen someone near the trail but lost track of them earlier, and we had kind of put it out of our minds. So after it happened, we had kind of put two together and were wondering if this agent had followed us down the trail to the site, and then while we had left, stayed behind and destroyed the goods.
Speaker 10: It seemed like the beans were still drying and the fruit.
Speaker 6: Was still drying in the sunlight, so it hadn't have been too too far from the time that we had dropped initially. And this is at a moment that there was five of us and trying to figure out what it meant for us to deal with this.
Speaker 10: Several two of us.
Speaker 6: Including myself, raised ahead to try to get interact with whoever has up the trail, knowing that they couldn't have been too far away, not with any specific plan other than just ask.
Speaker 10: Them what did they do and why did they do that?
Speaker 6: Just in the sense of outrage, that the sense of just like moral corruption that someone would destroy this in a time that the CBP as well as we know that people are losing their lives because of lack of access to these very goods that were destroyed.
Speaker 10: Yeah, so we race raced back as fast as we could.
Speaker 6: It was about a forty five minute hiked back up, and we were really breathless and almost as the kind of wind of feeling sick to our stomachs because we were both outraged and also hikes faster than we should have.
Speaker 10: And just as we'd gotten back to our cars, kind of giving up hope.
Speaker 6: That we'd interactt with them, we saw two agents in their cars kind of pull away, uh, and we flagged them down and got in front of them and kind of motion for them to come back so we could speak to them. And I'm not saying we're the most savvy people, but we basically ran up to them and said, did you destroy these are our supplies, to which they acknowledged that they did. And only afterwards were we able to get our wits together to start recording them.
Speaker 10: And as both here in the audio.
Speaker 6: They acknowledged the fact that they knew where our site was, and they acknowledged the fact that they regularly destroy goods, and for us, the entire interaction was just so sickening first of it. After a while there was five of them with their guns and they're large guns out as well as their basic intention to use intimidation, their sheer numbers, as well as this kind of perverse authority they have as the soul of agents in charge of this public land, this is wilderness and BLM land, which they have no authority over us, yet use this sense of just power and ability to cause harm to minimize anybody else being able.
Speaker 10: To advocate for themselves.
Speaker 6: So we tried to stop them from doing that, and it kept asking them did you destroy our water?
Speaker 10: And why did you do that? And is that within your job description?
Speaker 6: Because there was something very clear to them to us that they didn't even know what their legality was. They kept trying to deflect it the conversations saying, oh, migrants are leaving trash all the time, and referring to people as illegal aliens with this kind of larger Rhetorica is saying that like they're they're trashing the mountain side like it's it's their fault. And as we repeatedly asked them, did you destroy our water? And they repeatedly said, well have you seen have you seen what they do and then kind of also saying well, yeah, we we try to clean things up, we try to pick them up. But but but that specific site was too far, so we just left it. We just destroyed it and left it. Which as on the on the piggybacking on their conversation about this trash and that we're littering and they're accusing us of aiding and abetting illegal immigration, they basically have nothing left to say about what their actions meant and without their their purview, their mandate of their jobs, and it was an act you could tell they were uncomfortable with because they were not within their job description. And we asked for their supervisor. They said they're going to on the phone supervisor. The supervisor never materialized, and we can only assume that they had a conversation with somebody, uh in a superior saying back down, what you're doing is is not correct and don't engage further. And since then we've had a conversation with with their superiors and with with CVP offices to the effect of saying that this was not within their job description, and this they did not condone this activity.
Speaker 10: So kind of looking into that further, they were very.
Speaker 6: Much acting as individuals, but individuals within a culture of abuse and within a culture of of sabotaging humans access to life saving supplies. And that was nothing new to them, that they that they had nothing. They had never encountered somebody trying to oppose them for doing that.
Speaker 7: Mere water and all that was that yours, that water, it was at yours too.
Speaker 10: So it is your property exactly and.
Speaker 12: You and you slashed it.
Speaker 10: And I'm wondering why you're just that your property be high. You did not your prop by you were going on a hip while we were on a fad slash.
Speaker 2: So you guys.
Speaker 9: In your job description to slash water and open cans.
Speaker 13: And damn wood all over the profect plant and live in this area.
Speaker 10: To abandon property.
Speaker 4: And to your mind, it's a long hike.
Speaker 1: How I would I do that?
Speaker 10: Get?
Speaker 9: You know, I'm like serious, It's okay for you to recap you have converstion and.
Speaker 4: Patrol within twenty five miles of quarter.
Speaker 3: Had one hundred to do what and and look for pot probably.
Speaker 4: Bandon property, the property legal person and what do you do with it? What would you destroy it?
Speaker 5: We try to clean it up, because they.
Speaker 9: Know that that's cleaning it up.
Speaker 10: That's one of the things that not cleaning about it.
Speaker 12: And you know we're trying to clean it up.
Speaker 9: That was too far from us. We decided to just trash the whole area.
Speaker 4: Like when they're funded and equipped and transported and armed by the state, and like, it's not the same as individuals, just because we've seen that in Arizona, right, like people who are militias or what have you going out and sabotaging life saving supplies as well. But it's still a little different when you know, we have to pay taxes for them to go destroy water caches.
Speaker 6: And these are people who regularly, as we've seen on multiple occasions, use helicopters to try to flush people out of under a tree that they fly within thirty feet of the ground and use the force of the roadors to force people out and upper hillside to waiting cars. So their use of money and the use of force is definitely central to the tactics.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, or he'se helicopters to fire to I guess into Mexico and it did a few years ago. But yeah, it's certainly, And that intimidation is like if I think people again who don't live here might not be familiar with it. Like I've been out in down by the border with KUMIAI people doing religious ceremony and had bortat guys dressed like you know, like Navy seals hanging out with air fifteens and plate carriers. Well, people like burn stage and prey. It's yeah, I mean the militarization if you somehow can't conceive the care of people dying in the desert, the militarization of the border still affects everyone here and it makes our lives left safe. There's a crime crime thinks logan that I always like to like use in these things, which is the border doesn't protect you, it controls you, which I think is kind of apt for this. So now that they've trashed your supplies, right and you found ot they weren't supposed to, I'm interested like how going forward, does that mean that you can't use that rout, you can't drop stuff there? Anymore because you're worried about happening again, or because you're worried about them hanging out there to intercept people who are using your like supply cash.
Speaker 5: On the contrary, we've learned from the examples of other people who have been doing this work. Em had already mentioned Nomas Mertes no more deaths in Arizona, Doctor Scott Warren. We've learned so much from their example where you know, they were hauled into federal court.
Speaker 4: And one uh.
Speaker 5: And so we've learned from from their examples of how to how to do this as well as within here in California. The history of border angels so back a few years ago, Border Patrol was slashing gallons of water in the deserts of eastern San Diego County as well as Imperial County. On one particular day, the border in those volunteers found about fifty gallons of water slashed in the most violent way, and they knew it was Border patrol. And so the way border angels responded was number one, to change their tactics to start dropping supplies a deeper in the back country where the border patrol agents. You know, it's rare to find a BP agent that's motivated enough to really hike, hike for too far away from their air conditioned vehicles in the summertime. So number one, they were going farther away from the roads and highways to the actual routes that people are are walking. Number Two, they punched back hard in public using social media. Back then it was Facebook. You know this is going to be you know, right when Instagram was getting but just you know, getting the word out. And Border Angels is an organization that's been around for decades. They have a big following, the word spread and just like many bullies, you know, they kind of back down if you get in their face sometimes. So that was our experience with this practice of Border patrols slashing gallons in the desert with Border Angels. So when this this crime occurred on March eighteenth in the mountains, we knew we could not back down. So we met back a few days later. That's when, as Emmett mentioned, we witnessed Border Patrol helicopter for about an hour flying about. You know, it seemed like, you know, ten fifteen feet off the ground, really really low, using the rotor wash to flush of flush human beings out of the brush as if they were hunting animals. And then we were back, you know, the next seven days later, after they destroyed the supplies, we went back with a good group number one to clean up this shameful mess these two border patrol goons left. We cleaned up all of all of that stuff, and we left probably what three times the amount of original supplies, and on our milk rates, we actually left laminated signs that addressed one by one all of the accusations that these border patrol agents tried to make against us. So the signs say, do not destroy, do not remove. This is not garbage, we are not littering, and this is not abandoned property. Is these are humanitarian aid supplies protected by federal case law, the nineteen ninety four Protection of Religious Freedom Act, and so on and so forth. So we put those signs just prominently on the milk rates, uh, you know, just to send a message that no, we're not going to back down. We are going to leave supplies.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: It is within our rights and it is in support of human rights to do this. So of course we have to be strategic about this. I mean, there is the danger, you know, we're always going back to the same place. You know, we're kind of you know, blowing up the spot as it were. You know, we're bringing heat to a route that's that's needed by people making a crossing, and so we are we are mindful of that, you know, we don't we We try to go to different places on different weekends, uh, and not try to bring too much attention to these paths.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. And I wonder like if people are I was just thinking for people to visualize the area if they are place, so I could look up on like googless so they could see like where this kind of stuff is happening. If you comfortable, you don't have to give like an exact location obviously.
Speaker 5: But yeah, actually, I mean, speaking of Google Earth, you mentioned a valley of the Moon. I mean, Google Earth is impressive enough. Anybody can just use Google Earth and zoom in all the way and just follow along the border and you'll find thousands of footpaths. So yeah, it doesn't take yeah, like much detective work to actually visually see these footpaths. But yeah, it's real steep terrain. As Emmett mentioned, the last couple times we've gone back to this spot, where the two agents destroyed the supplies. Emmett has actually brought a mountain climbing rope just to make certain sections easier where we're kind of repelling down this dry waterfall, so really really steep, very loose trails, very easy to break an ankle, and it just in that context, it really it really hits you. We see so many shoes and boots along the path and just have to kind of just pause and think, well, this person lost their shoe, if the if they're the sole of their boot melted off in their hours away from the nearest road, what does it mean? How did they complete the journey? Did they complete their journey? So yeah, a little bit hard to describe, but I guess any yeah, anybody who's I guess kind of familiar with with the southern California steep, steep mountains, loose terrain kind of get the picture.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, they can make out value the main there's plenty of pictures of the very intimidating boarder fence that they have there, like three foot I and rusty. Is there anything else that you guys wanted to address that you feel like maybe people don't the people should know about the board that they don't about the work you do that maybe is misunderstood.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I guess I want to maybe bring up.
Speaker 6: Some of what it I think is hard to convey to people who aren't there and I know aren't connected to a community who is suffering because of this, or who aren't maybe thinking along the lines of what it means to be a human in this space and actually be risking your life and coming up against helicopters and a federally backed militia who is actively seeking to harm you. None of us in our group are claiming any anything more than just witnessing what it means to be out there. But I guess what's been true for me and in kind of my conversations with my community as over the last couple of years, just trying to share this. There is so much pain that is being inflicted upon this landscape, and there is so much harm that is.
Speaker 10: Actively supported by our nation.
Speaker 6: While people are in some of the most intimate and painful moments of their lives.
Speaker 10: Leaving your home, whether it be in.
Speaker 6: Another continent where you need to take a flight a flight over to make this crossing, or whether it be hiking through Central America starting in South America for months before reaching this moment, or leaving your your your family, in your in.
Speaker 10: Your community closer to the to the to the border.
Speaker 6: This these are moments that anyone who is alive could feel the pain of and the misery of having to abandoned all that you know and put yourself at the mercy of of the desert. And CBPS overly aggressive and and and had harmful tactics. So beyond all of the cases and the politics, I just I I oftentimes, as we're walking, just try to put myself in the position of someone who is who is making these decisions. And as Dave was saying, we're coming across people's clothing, food, underwear, places they've slept, and the amount of the poignancy of human desire to be safe, to to come to a place where they feel like their lives can be.
Speaker 10: Protected, or that that choice.
Speaker 6: Is worthwhile is something that is so lost in the numbers, in the amount of people who die or what happens after it. And so for us, I think making it not about your political beliefs or the asylum process, but just the actual choices people are are half having to make very human decisions that is something that is kind of haunts us, and the feeling that all we can do is leave water in a place that it might make the difference between someone in that position surviving or not. And furthermore, just living in a community where you know, from the top of the mountain we can see downtown San Diego and all of the luxury of this military town, all of the universities and all of this opportunity that we enjoy, and just a couple miles away, the lack of access to just water. The feeling how similar humans are to each other in our basic needs and how that's being taken from people is really is really harmful, And particularly as you were saying, these are areas held sacred by the Kumii people and have been places of migration for at least ten thousand years. These are places that were difficult to travel and that people did for similar reasons to survive, to be safe, and there is a legacy of oyas of clay pots buried in the sand for travelers that has been ongoing for thousands of years. And for our current administration and government to create this wall in this place of so much pain is just testament to just the insanity of our desire to protect border against something else, actually the borders against something that we feel is harmful to us. Meanwhile, this migration is fundamentally how we survive and how we respond to these moments of change in humanity, and criminalizing that and closing hard with that is just barbaric.
Speaker 5: I'll let you collect your thoughts and you can come back and make that statement, because I think you do it very eloquently, But I want to jump on there and just kind of echo and elaborate on what you said. Yeah, we find lots and lots of physical items, but we also meet people on the trails, and that's a new thing.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: I've been doing these water drops for some time now. But you know, when you say what has changed under Biden, not much. There's more people crossing the border than ever. There are more people dying than ever. As far as as a volunteer who spends most weekends out in the borderlands, the only thing I noticed is they stopped building Trump's thirty foot high fence and they started pouring all that money into electronic surveillance, where every single month we see more towers popping up all along the border with all kinds of very very fancy, military grade surveillance equipment and as well as aerial surveillance. Lots of airplanes, helicopters. I'm not sure if they're using drones, but we certainly there's a lot of aerial surveillance. But what we see as far as the human dimension is in the old days, you know, we see footprints, We see shoe covers, you know, which people wear on their feet to hide their footprints from border patrol. We see the empty water bottles and discarded clothing. But now we're encountering people pretty much every time we do a water drop because the number of people crossing is so high. People are crossing in the daytime, whereas in the past usually they would cross at night. So wouldn't you say, emmittt like pretty much it's it's pretty much every time we go out, at least one of our volunteers, if not the whole group, sees or even interacts with a migrant on the paths. And you know, and of course we respect, we respect their autonomy, their privacy. We don't engage with them if they don't want to engage with us. But the thing that I'll never forget is about a month ago, we were out in this exact same area, supplying the same path, and it was a rainy day, cold, we were wearing our gortex insulated clothing. We'd done a water drop. While we were doing the water drop, we can see on the next mountain peak Border Patrol helicopter landing to pick up somebody who required rescue. And this is a case that we had been getting updates all night with Armadillos, one of the search groups, and thankfully this person was found alive and Border Patrol was so called rescuing him another word for arresting him. And after we witnessed that, we hiked back to our vehicles, and just as we were getting to the trailhead, the exact same location where on March eighteenth, Emmett and other volunteers had this interaction with the two Border Patrol agents who destroyed the humanitarian aid supplies, the exact same parking spot. We pop out and start walking toward our vehicles and it starts snowing, and two individuals come out of the mist and approach us and start talking to us in Spanish and talking to the these two people, these two men, one one young, one middle aged in the course of the conversation. You know, sorry, I kind of choke up when I talk about this stuff.
Speaker 4: Yes it's okay, but yeah.
Speaker 5: So this is the younger of the two. I was sixteen years old and the older dude was his father. We encountered them as it was snowing, so of course, first thing we did is got them in our vehicles. One of our volunteers, avid hiker, had his backpacking stove with him and cooked up some tea and some you know, gave them food and you know, let them warm up. We gave them literally the you know Gorte's winter coats offer backs to warm up and once you know, the dad was shivering violently, really really showing signs of clinical hypothermia. And talking to the younger man, who was in better physical shape, he was explaining that the two of them were hiking through the mountains because his mother was already living in the USA. They were trying to reunite with her and they had been in this mountainous region for the past two days. And looking at them, they're wearing hoodies, you know, like you know, sweatshirts, sweatpants and sneakers in this and anybody who lives down here in southern California. You know, we've had a very unusual winter, lots and lots of rain, so it had been raining heavily over the past two days and nighttime temperatures in the thirties, and these two men had been out there for two days soaked to the bone, and that's why they approached us, because they were in trouble and were asking for help. So after they warmed up, we discussed the options. Of course, you know, we we we respect their autonomy. You know, they have the option to try to continue going on their way with with supplies or if they felt it was unsafe to do so we were ready to help them. The heartbreaking thing is, you know they did ask us could we let them ride in our vehicles off the mountain, and we had to explain that, you know, we're we're pretty much guaranteed to encounter Order patrol agents on that road and that really it's not something that we could do because you know that that that you know, we we could be arrested and charged, you know, for federal felony crimes. But we said, look, you know, if you really feel you can't continue, we will help you. Contact you know, call nine to one one that we explained that's that's one hundred percent going to result in border patrol coming because as folks may know, you know, you know, in the USA along the border, you know, emergency medical response, search and rescue is unfortunately considered in the domain of law enforcement. So if you are a US citizen, or if you are someone from another country that happened to come here and have a visa or just be considered the good type of foreigner, you know, you're going to have a very impressive response with sheriffs, Sheriff's Department, search and rescue, volunteer organizations. If there's any hint that you may be a so called undocumented person, you immediately get sent to border patrol and you have you know, boor Star respond the Border Patrols Search and Rescue group, which is a far cry from the civilian search and rescue folks. So we explain to them if we call nine one one, you're going to be apprehended, You're going to be arrested by border patrol. And after thinking about it and discussing, they said, yeah, we you know, we cannot continue where you know, this is too dangerous. So we did call nine one one, and border patrol did come and frisked them and cuff them and uh, yeah, yeah I did arrest them. And yeah, that's not not the only time too often we have witnessed human beings being arrested by border patrol.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank you for sharing that. I think I think it's really important to give like put like faces and names to these things, rather than the border patrol will constantly talk about a million whatever encounters, right, they like to fucking inflate the numbers. It's often the same people, but it each one of those is a tragedy every time someone has to make a choice between risking their life in one place or risking their life coming to another place just so their kids can have a crack at growing up safely, or so they can be safe, so they can experience like one tenth of the things that we take for granted every day, Like, that's an incredible human tragedy. And yeah, they happen every single day, every hour of every day at our border because of the things that our government does there. And yeah, it's important to feel that stuff because I think that's it should provoke in all of us a very strong reaction it's pretty messed up that it's almost universal bipartisan agreement that it's fine and okay by people who have never been hearing and don't understand.
Speaker 5: One other thing I want to add and and emt you may have other things. One thing I wanted to really center is something we've referenced several times. Cumye you know this is this is Cumiate Land. These are the indigenous people who have lived here since the beginning of time. The archaeological record goes back ten thousand years, but we know people have been here since the beginning of human time. Really, and look at the map, the so called border cuts in half traditional Cuma territory. When we do these water drops out in the desert or in the mountains, you know, these these paths that that people are using to migrate are often or in many many cases traditional Cumi paths. And we see evidence of that every time we, you know, do a water drop, especially out out in the desert area where it's a rare water drop, that we will not find pottery sharp lying lying in the sand, or come across rock shelters, uh, some with pictographs and uh the you know, it's just uh, you know, very poignant juxtaposition of of Kumai cultural artifacts with modern day you know, shoe covers, discarded water bottles, and of course many people who do migrate are indigenous uh them themselves. So yeah, personally, you know, I view all of these border issues through the lens of history culture, with with the core truth that this is indigenous land, this is Cumi land, and it has always been and uh, the modern so called border is a very recent, uh political creation, you know that, you know, mid nineteeth century. You know, before that this was Mexico and now now where we call it the USA. But this is all recent and from my perspective, unless you are a Kumie, I really don't know how anybody could can really get on their high horse and really speak with any authority about who belongs here, who belongs here, who doesn't belong here, Because the rest of us, we are all guests on Kumie ied land. That includes every single border patrol agent. And that's that's something I always like to remember.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, the border is very much like colonialism in action, and it see even we're going to have some Cumi folks, hopefully in the next couple of weeks to talk about the desecration of Kumii Burial site by the border wall, which is an ongoing thing, Like I haven't stopped when the just I can't tell stories about it like I could in twenty twenty, because you know, Orange Man Bad isn't a thing anymore. But yeah, they're all across the border, right, not just here that the Yaki, the all across the border is native. The whole of the circle the United States is Native land, and it's not Indigenous folks out there trying to kill people in the desert. Is there anything that you wanted to add?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I just want to say this.
Speaker 6: Well, I don't know we're able forever, so we'll start rambling a second. But I guess I really want to say, and this is coming from a very skewed white males perspective, but I just feel like so much of these power structures that we're engaged with, and us as a nasan trying to find our identity, it's so hypocritical, particularly in this moment where the climate and social instability is at its height. I mean in my lifetime and I think in many of our lifetimes, we see this is a really precarious moment. It just feels so so hypocritical to police people's sovereign tees to find safety and to be in safety. You know, we we have all of these ideals in our country around respecting each other's freedoms, and also as we are importing and exporting so many goods and also so much culture and so fundamentally intertwined with the lives of people from all over the world. For us to say what is wrong and what is right in this moment, and for us to have this this moral authority to to put people in prison just for for for seeking safety for many years, and of course I have many people I know and live with who have been in in who we're in attention for for several years, for seeking that the amount of just how twisted it is that we are comfortable spending our lives as Americans never considering or never really critically engaging.
Speaker 5: With this active.
Speaker 6: Pursuit, these actions to to limit people's ability to survive. It feels like it really needs to be centered in this conversation. And again this is coming from my skewed perspective, but I just I really want to make the point clear.
Speaker 10: This is not about this is not about these these lofty ideals of what a country could be or who and who is not justified or useful.
Speaker 6: In our country, we make these arbitrary assessments of what's justified or what's legal and not legal, and very often those are just continuing the legacy of exploitation of black and brown people, the exploitation of landscapes, the expectation of labor, the exploitation of people whose voices are not heard, and politically, economically and continuing a conversation of an O time Masage center, the people who are attained are are are cleaning their own cells, and they're their their their labor is actually being exploited as well. You can't distinguish the fact that there is the history of policing in our country, in the history of prisons is specifically a project to continue white supremacy. And you can see particularly the differential policing of immigration currently and the differential way that certain people from certain countries are or are not valid UH to UH to enter this country and and at.
Speaker 10: The very least.
Speaker 6: Be treated with respect and dignity in their process. And that's what we see CBP every single day, violating people's basic access to human dignity and acts to life, which are protected by all nations in writing and very often not in practice.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, and as well said like it's a very basic human thing. It doesn't need to be like shrouded in constitutional law. And like you also said, the capital flows very freely across across the border, but people aren't allowed to and yeah, it's pretty messed up. Guys. Where can people if they want to support, if they want to just send a kind word? Where can people find you on the internet?
Speaker 5: Another best way probably is on Instagram. We have an account Borderlands Relief Collective reach out to us and I do want to give a shout out to our sister organizations, border Kindness. Their water Drop program, led by Jacqueline and James, has been doing tremendous work for years. Border Angels, which is kind of the parent organization of water Drop volunteer group in California, are our comrades who do search and rescue as well as recovery of those who have died, including Armadillos and Aggi las Egos of the Desert. Very very proud to be in this community of people who are trying to help people in the borderlands.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, Thank you very much, guys, it's pretty great.
Speaker 1: Hey. We'll be back Monday with more episodes every week from now until the heat death of the universe.
Speaker 9: It Could Happen Here as a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can find sources for It Could Happen Here, updated monthly at cool zonemedia dot com slash sources. Thanks for listening.